Speaker 1: Oh, happy, happy, Happy, happy Friday. It's gonna be a good one today. Todd Father's here, Kratz is dancing. I'm Scottie Brown. So we're gonna talk business today. We are Ken Rosenthal is gonna be on here later and we will get into the CBA talks with the owners and the players. Same with Evandrelik. These are the reporters you want to hear from on these topics, and we will ask them really whatever you guys want to know about what's happening. We are going to also cover pleasure, like teams that are playing well, teams that aren't. But we we should start the show just with a quick toast. Cheers. Todd Father, you know what this is?
Speaker 2: Tell me you just made that I see, I put mine in a see You're you got a little more Floridian in you now, so you've got a little more class. I'm sticking with my express sell right here in a nice uh cop here, nice little that's beauty, so I get I get a little more back for my buck here with.
Speaker 1: A little more express.
Speaker 2: Its called a little white white hot chocolate mocha little blonde Expresso. Four shots, four shots of that good express, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So here we go. Let's lay out the backstory for a minute here.
Speaker 3: Before I'm gonna sip. I'm gonna sip while you do.
Speaker 1: It, take a sip of the good express. So you know, we all have our words and our quirks. Todd Father has probably said the word expresso I don't know three four times in the past six months, and I assumed that he knew it was actually espresso, so we thought maybe he's just using the word in his own fun todd Father way before the show started. I mentioned him that it is espresso, and his jaw dropped. Todd Father is still going to I think stick with the sexy expresso name versus espresso. It's too bougie, it's too whatever the words origin is, what is it Italian for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, I'm gonna my question to the fans out there. And I don't ask questions of fans. I don't think I've had one, especially the fans from Jersey New York. Try State area region. If you're with me, we're calling it espresso, give me a shout out or something here. If not, give me a thumbs down. But if you're from the area, say try State area. Agree disagree. I would love to hear your thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: Again. It's it's how I say it.
Speaker 2: It's not the right way to say it, as I'm learning now, but I'm stuck with it. That's just my twang, I guess you could say. And I got called out by two New Jersey people, so maybe maybe it's just me. Anytime Kratz calls me out, I just one ear out the other. Because he lives in the boonies.
Speaker 3: So all good.
Speaker 4: Where you live is a nightmare.
Speaker 3: So there's a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Just wait until I get this in me. But I'm gonna be acting a fool on here in about twenty.
Speaker 1: Five good, I can't wait. That'll be less than halfway through the show. All right, let's do this. So let's get Todd Father pre espresso on the pirates right now, charging about all right, we're charging. We've got a lot to hit here. We have a disgruntled employee for getting booted from a rotation. But let's start with the headliner, Paul Skeins shoving against the Cubs but losing. And there is a problem in Pittsburgh anyway, Todd Father, they've got some stars, they've got some emerging stars. It's starting to come together. Will it come together quick enough for this team to actually take advantage of the window they have with Paul Skeens under this regime as well with Ben Cherrington there I think now six years is there enough here for you? Skeens has the rat two one two, although there's a million competitors for National League say Young, We did a great video on that yesterday. It's the fourth best era the minimum of three innings pitched or three hundred innings pitch, that is before turning twenty four years old. He did give up three runs and on four hits against the Cubbies who beat him. So today is his twenty fourth birthday. He's really really good. Can his team figure out getting him to the postseason? The offense is swinging the bat right. Most of the players that they either picked up or that they've called up have been contributors and impact bats that they were missing in the past few years.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree with you on that, but no, I don't think they'll figure out a way. Been in this organization before Cratzy has two I'm looking at the teams that are ahead of them. Listen, they're six games out of the Central Is it too many games to even come back. No, they can easily make a comeback. I love a lot of these players on the team, but I understand who they are, and until they proved me wrong, I can't agree and think they're going to make the playoffs. Paul Skein's just lost again. Ten strikeouts, one earned run. You know you got Jared Jones coming back.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 2: Great, we see guys co back all the time. Is he going to be Jerry Jones that we've talked about before? I hope so. I would love to see that. I got all the confidence in the world in them. But at the same time, you know, Connor Griffin's been good. You know, you know, we haven't really talked about him as much. My man Brian Reynolds loved him to death. He was one of my favorites on that team. He's the leader. I think, in my opinion, he's gonna have to keep going with that squad. Maybe a little dissension too. I mean, you got Carmine Mudjinski. Hopefully I'm saying that right, but he uh, you know, he's not happy, not happy where he's going, So that little you can get into that. Scott if you want to talk about that first and foremost, but that little stuff like that builds up to bigger things.
Speaker 1: Let's hit it, baby, give me a little line like we always do. As we look at some matchups this weekend, Todd Father, if I'm trying to buy a ticket, out to you.
Speaker 3: If you want a best seat you go to see Geek, find the best seat you go to see Gee.
Speaker 4: I got give me the green dot because I'm looking for the green dot. I'm gonna give my espresso. I'm gonna look for that green dot because you know, I gotta have a good seat. Maybe I'll take the kids. Maybe I'll go see the Maybe I'll see the Bronx. Maybe I'll go to Queens a little bit city field. I don't know. That's where I'm That's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 1: Where we're going.
Speaker 3: Where are we going? We can't go to You can't go to Yankee Stadium. They're they're in all uh. I was gonna say terrible.
Speaker 2: They're playing against the Sacramentos. I like Miami, bro, I'll tell you what Miami versus the Mets.
Speaker 3: I'm not. I'm not ashamed to go see those those Marlins kick some butt. Yeah, I said it. Kick some butt. Watch out.
Speaker 4: I'm going to l a going back to Kelly strictly through the weather Women and Wheeler Wheelers facing the Dodgers. Philly's new left handed left handed BP picture can help him figure out Robleski Like this is there's no playoff series in the end of May. There's there's a it's not it's a it's a it's a tired rhetoric. But you know what, these are two really good teams that are playing well. I think the Dodgers have won four straight. The Phillies just came off of absolute just drubbing of the Padres and you got Zax Wheelers on the on the mound. Here, this is this is a test to see how that you know, missing rib is really gonna fare against a really really good lineup.
Speaker 3: Agreed, Yeah, agreed. I'm gonna let you know.
Speaker 2: I'm my picks later are leaning towards that game. I'm not gonna tell you what it is because I don't want you taking my stuff, but yeah, you can't. You can't miss a good seat out there in LA I love it. With the acoustics, with the with the speaker systems. Oh god, that hits hard.
Speaker 4: You're here when Matt Kemp Matt Kemp to Andre Ethier coming up to the plate, that's all you hear. And seek Eico lets you get the seats away from the speakers so that you don't have to hear that and your ears are like.
Speaker 1: And you can get tickets to any games across the country. Okay, so go check it out. Code for you Seek Geek is territory ten ten percent off your next set of tickets at ten percent off with Territory one zero. Click the link in the description of download the app. Have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 4: I mean, I would say, I would say before we get into Carmen and what he said. More so, this team was built this year to win in the way that the Pirates felt like they needed to win, and it was to hit. They felt like they're pitching was going to be really, really good. Their bullpen is a problem. Now we're talking about and we're not talking about the Pirates being better than last year. We're talking about them being a playoff team. And I think unless some guys, and I say guys, like three guys step up, I have a hard time seeing this team making the playoffs, and people will say, wow, you wanted them to do all this blah blah blah and the off season. They did things in the offseason, but you're going from just an improved team to a playoff team. You got to be good in all three facets. The other issue, they're in the stinking National League. If they're playing in the AL Central, I'd give them a much better chance because they pitch. I don't know that they've made the right decision on who they're sending down, but they have a quality, quality five man rotation that I think can withstand a little bit of injuries. When you get those injuries, when guys can't make their time through the rotation. So is Paul Skiens otherworldly this year? No, you know, a two eight nine, ERA six and five. They're happy he's got six wins. They wouldn't think five losses, but they're happy he's got six wins.
Speaker 1: All right, So this board's important. Right. We showed you the starters there, but I'm going to take you to a quote from Maginsky. Jared Jones is back and he throws fire. He was great before he got hurt, went down. It's been a minute. Had the TJ surgery. Somebody's got to get booted from the rotation because they don't want to roll with a six man. They're opting to send Maginsky to the bullpen. The bullpen has in era close to five twelve blowne saves. It's been bad. Maginsky has been pretty good high three Zra in a starting role, and he met with the media after hearing the news that he's going to shift back to the bullpen, and this was the quote that has gathered some trolling. I'm still communicating with the organization and the people in my corner, whether that's my family and my agency about what's next. I really don't have any comments after that. I mean, help me out here, Todd Father. I mean, you you played a lot of time and places like New York with the Mets and the Yanks. Should he maybe not say the agency part, I guess, although that's your support system, Like, should he have just said, yeah, whatever it takes to help the team. I'm super happy about it, Like I'm I'm excited to get demoted. I'm genuinely asking. I don't know, right because for me, if I'm a Pirates fan, I'm like, I don't even care what's being said right now. I'm just pumped that we have fricking six good starters and one's got to go to the bullpen to rescue us. Like, let's let's appreciate where we are. Pirates fans, you're still relevant right now and we're approaching June. The offense is pretty good, Skeens is Skeens, Jones is coming back, and your bullpen is a problem. Here comes a guy who can help them. So, Podfather, what would you have like him to say anything to help the team? I don't give a crap about my personal whatever, and you know I'll take the demotion in stride.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm reading it again.
Speaker 2: Give me organization, a people in my corner, whether that's my family, jam about what's next? Now, I don't want to misquote him. Maybe he'd just say, hey, what's next with the Pirates? How I'm gonna approach everything else? Or is he saying what's next meaning he doesn't want to go to the bullpen and wants Yeah I maybe, But I again, I don't want to misquote him, because if he's saying what's next, that means to me he's gonna have a conversation for one with the brass or with management and express maybe ahead. I don't want to go there, so I'm either a starter, you gotta trade me, or whatever it is.
Speaker 3: So this this kind of quote, it.
Speaker 2: Leaves a little bit on the table, a little bit to really figure out what he said. I love a guy that wants what he wants. I respect the heck out of that. I also respect the guy that's gonna fall in line and understand I'm gonna go to the bullpen and if i'm I'm gonna get better and help this team, I respect that too as well. But there's got to be one one of those. So I really don't have any comments after that. So it's it was really plain simple what's next? That That's what I if I was in the media there, I'd be like, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: What's next? And I would try and get that out them. We don't have that.
Speaker 2: But I would hate to see a little dissension and a little problem because I like the guy. I like him a lot. I think he's been you know, he's been great, you know for this team, and I don't you know, I don't see a problem with saying say with your chest.
Speaker 3: As we talk about right.
Speaker 2: But also you got to understand, you know, you can't take comments back too, so you just got to be careful of what you are setting.
Speaker 1: It can take them inte to digest news too. Kratz, Are you not allowed to be frustrated that you feel like you've taken significant steps? You're helping the team win in a starting role. And I know he's had issues third time through, There's no doubt about that. So there are things to work on. This is not the perfect starter by any means. Would he start in half the rotations in the league?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So do you personally have a problem with the way he handed theocrats knowing that he probably got the news and then five seconds later you're talking to the media. You gotta let it sink in a little bit. You talk to brass, I think you know fans run wild with things and end media and everybody. Right, Oh, is he now demanding a trade? How often do we have trade demands? Once every two three years? We've had one that I can remember in the last two three years. Right, Soavali who got dealt by the Brewers. I can't think of any in the last two three years besides that, So do we think that Cameron, Macdjuski or Majeski or I can't say the name anymore, it is going to Majinski. Yeah. Do we think that he is going to suddenly go to his agent and say that's it, demand a trade for me. I'm out of here versus all right, I'm going to shove for a week. Someone's gonna get hurt, and then I'm going to go back in the rotation.
Speaker 4: I mean asking me, I've ever heard a young guy now, he's twenty seven, he's in his third year service time. I think it's his fourth or fifth season, so he's been up and down. Have I heard it from guys with that much time?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Is that what I hear in this quote right now?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: My hope is that what he's saying is, I'm going to talk with the people that I need to talk to. What does it take for me to be the best bullpen piece? Because when he first got called up to the big leies, he was in a bullpen. What does it take for me to re reinvigorate my value to the organization. What do they need to see from me to be somebody that they're gonna call on to get a start. Essentially, it was going to be him or Bubba Chandler. Bubba Chandler's walk in the house, so you know, Carmen's Carmen's got you know, he's got a few too many walks in my opinion, his strikeouts are a few less. Organization probably loves that Bubba can strike out the world. But I think something that the Pirates have historically not handled well is young pitching. And it's not the same regime, it's not all the same people, but the same people are there right now that called Bubba Chandler up a high level prospect from their organization and put him in a bullpen to give him a soft landing. Well, now he's a starter and he's not throwing strikes on a consistent basis, and they're keeping him in the rotation, so you can't throw that guy into the rotip. Maybe it's more like a piggyback situation. It's something he has to learn, something he has to get better at, and as a guy with three years of service, he's gonna sit there and go. Maybe I shouldn't have said it like that, but it's also I commend him because too many guys are just like just gonna do whatever's for the team. And what I always said, when something happens, when you get demoted from starter to a bench guy the big leagues to Triple A, you get three days. You get three days. Don't be a bad teammate during that time, but you get three days to be pissed off. And then after those three days, you're wasting everybody's time and you're wasting your career. So to me, I give the guy three days him cool off. But that's why Don Kelly gets paid the big bucks. This is this kind of stuff he has to keep. He has to keep at Bay because this team was playing well and now they've lost two to the Cubs, split the series. But they got to keep this stuff at Bay so that everybody's happy, healthy. And you know what, Carmen might be the answer in the bullpen.
Speaker 1: We don't know, Yeah, And I don't care if he's pissed. If he pitches well in the bullpen, that's firrates fans. Just keep in mind, you want you want to see playoff baseball. Don't worry about dissecting every quote. Just be excited that you have a rotation that's good enough right now that you have to boot a guy with an e RA and the threes to the bullpen, and your bullpen needs help. So this is good timing. And see what happens from there. Guys get hurt. Someone's going to get hurt. He's gonna homp bank into the rotation. Things happened, so I'm good with it. It's getting hot out there, people. Let's talk Mack Weldon Fashion show real quick. AJ's got the Pima crew neck T shirt, Froth heather.
Speaker 5: Fross heeather.
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 5: It's got little pieces of gray heather in there. It's nice, it's soft, if fits really well. It's great for summer down here in Florida. And I got a couple linen shirts and linen pants that are gonna look nice when I go to Europe here in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Oh, very nice. Yeah, it's very smooth, very thin. I'm wearing the eighteen hour jersey short and heather gray. I'll leave that down here for you. And the Pema short sleeve Henley. The color on mine is desert spring, but it really resonates it. It fits in kind of matches with everything in the wardrobe too. It's the classic look. They know what they're doing. Here, so check it out. We've got the code for you to get moving with mack Weldon Comfortable anywhere. Go to mack Weldon dot com get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m Ack w e L d o N dot com code foul. Hey, just a couple things to wrap up the week and some of the Thursday games before we head into the weekend. I actually found a theme from this week that I actually bet on very frequently, players against their former teams. Chris Sale's always great, but tell me there wasn't a little extra juice for Chris Sale yesterday when he averaged ninety seven miles an hour average on his four seemer. He was touching at least ninety nine. August twelfth, twenty eighteen, was the last time that he averaged ninety seven on his four seemer twenty eighteen. Think about it. Jesus Sanchez Grand Slam against the Marlins earlier this week and said that he felt a little extra something. Shane Boz, who's been inconsistent so far this year, but he's got the stuff, puts it all together against the Rays while the Orioles swept them. I like that stuff. Kratz. I look for you, father. That's a little betting Hacket's not always there. You got to to me, this is one of the spots where the algorithm is not going to look at it. When odds are set and you say, hey, I know this player, maybe I know what he's sinking against this former team. Sometimes it doesn't matter, sometimes it does, but I do like to factor it in at times.
Speaker 2: Always factor it, and whether you left her on a good note or bad note, you want to make sure you I was like Michael Jordan, not skill level, but I would trick my mind sometimes and pretend somebody did something to me, and I'd make it in my mind like I gotta get this guy.
Speaker 3: Any guy that was from New Jersey that was on the mound, I.
Speaker 2: Had to make sure I beat him or got a hit against him, because I felt like they would come home and anybody.
Speaker 3: Said I got, I got as you know what.
Speaker 2: So I always would get the boys fired up us anybody who I play with, boys from Jersey.
Speaker 3: I would say, let me get some get somebody on base for me. Let's go, it's my time to shine. I got you today.
Speaker 1: Looking ahead big weekend. Let's start with the rematch of the Phillies and the Dodgers from the postseason last year and the craziness in that series, including what happen O Ryan Kirkering, what do you have for ust krats? The floor is yours.
Speaker 4: I mean I already said my piece. They're going out to Cali, or they've been out in Cali already. They're playing well and it's a little test, not a test for the team, you know, Oh, they got swept by the Dodgers. They're fake. No, like this. The team is playing closer to the standard that I think they're gonna play the rest.
Speaker 3: Of the year.
Speaker 4: The starting rotation is redoculous. I think they have in since Don Mattingly took over. I think they have like a under two e RA as a starting rotation, which is fair because they also got rid of Tywan Walker. But you go in there and you go we got Zach Wheeler going Game one, they get to make a statement and I think they're six and oh with Zach wheel in the mound so far since you've been back, I cannot believe how he has come back from this injury. And it's a credit to his skill level, but it's also a credit to him knowing himself and saying, Okay, I'm ready after some of these, after some of these, after some of his outings that he went out rehabbing, and this this game, game one is gonna be. I mean, I'm watching it. I'm watching it all night for sure.
Speaker 3: Holy cow boy, I tell you what. This is what baseball's about. Baby.
Speaker 2: You got two teams right now that are fighting to be the best. There's some teams on the outside looking in. The Phillies are like, oh where did the heck did the Phillies go? Hold up? They're gonna be just fine. Remember we're talking about them. Why are they so stinky stinky whatever. Listen, They're not one of those teams that are gonna be left down and dead for good. They'll come back. They'll go on these spurts. This year it seems like the ebbs and flows of the years. I mean, every team got better this year in my opinion. I mean, maybe you know a handful didn't. But you're playing against teams like the Athletics, the White Sox, you know, the Reds, like you better bring your a game every day. And now you got the two perennials coming through Phillies got to go to La. They've been out in California for a couple of days now playing San Diego. Listen, this is gonna be a fun matchup man, and I can't wait to watch it. Can't wait to see who's got the upper leg.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Zach.
Speaker 2: Wheelerbro got a mighty this guy went. I played with the Mets. You know, he had called him number two behind the grom It was one, A, one B whenever he was on the mound.
Speaker 3: I love playing behind him.
Speaker 2: He worked fast, he never shook went out there, whether he got three strikeouts, struck the side out, or gave up a home run, he's stock. His face was the same. Yeah, good backbone, good family. I love everything about this matchup today.
Speaker 1: I love it. And we talk about plenty of the Dodgers Show. We have Dodgers Territory, and of course the FT network is loaded up with shows. So the Philly Show is on this series two with todds of Lecky Rubinamar Junior and Jim Salisberry. So give them a little click, little sub little follow. For more information on the Philly Show. Look QR code bottom right corner of the screen. So I want to roll this conversation right into someone else that the Dodgers need to look around at in the NL West. We've given them little like crumbles of love, but I want to do a little bit more here. The Diamondbacks putting together their little eleven and two stretch against the Giants and Rockies just now. So Krats, you got to beat the teams that are not as good as you, and that's what the Diamondbacks are doing here. We're going to talk to Mike Siroka later in the show. This team is starting to click, and I think this part's important. I like to see who's coming back. We know the headliner, right, Corbyn Burns is going to be back this summer, a number one starter. He's going to return this summer. Look at the Yankees just in the first couple starts for Garrett Cole, and how you start to change the way you're looking at that team, Like, Okay, Cole's back ten punches the other day, here's another number one starter. It changes things. It is really hard to find that type of pitching talent. If Corbyn Burns returns and he's like that, whoa and then wait, there's more. AJ Puck and Justin Martinez are both going to come back at some point this season. And I know Puck's been through a ton of injuries and all that. Justin Martinez, I think it was just was Justin's Was it elbow shoulder?
Speaker 4: I'm forgetting now, but I think you think it was elbow, yeah, elb So Tommy John damn.
Speaker 1: I mean he looked like one of the better relievers in baseball too, so and I don't think had the same kind of injury history. Unfortunately, half the pictures in baseball go through TJ these days. But those two coming back, if they're right, that's two more high leverage guys in your bullpen. Starts to make things interesting. And the one thing that I think the organization has had for the past five years now is not given a crap about what the Dodgers have talent wise. They have played them really well. I know they don't have Christian Walker anymore, although maybe they try and get them back, but they have done a really nice job of playing up to competition, not just beating down on the competition like they did in the past couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: I think they're I think they're they're hitting that stride that I think you would expect from this team. But you would expect it once you had a Corbyn Burns back, once you had you know your your your bullpen pieces intact. Everybody is going at the break gonna say, oh, we'd love to add a number one starter. Oh we'd love to add two back of the end seventh inning bullpen pieces to our bullpen. It would shorten the game for us. They have this, They have this without going out and getting anybody. Are all three gonna come back from injuries pristine top of their game. Probably not, But when you have three instead of one coming back, there's a better chance your odds. Your odds are forever in your favor. But this team has always been a team that I thought of and you look at and you go, they're gonna score a ton of runs. Okay, their rotation is gonna be a little tough. It's Meryl Kelly gonna give you enough. It's Ryan Nelson going to keep the ball in the ballpark. Like you say, Okay, these might be some over games, but the reason that this team is always going to be good is because they play their game to a t. With two MVP candidates in their lineup with Corbyn Carroll and could tell Marte right now, kud tell Marte is carrying this team and EDWARDO Rodriguez maybe an All Star this year, who knows, but could tell Marte his numbers they're up on the board right now is eight hundred ops. Okay, whatever what he's been doing in the last I think it's ten days. He is literally carrying it now, thank you. Well, look at look at the behind the scenes people. He's got an ops of fourteen fifty. He's got four ding or seventeen stagums like this is this is what carries a team to be able to compete against a Dodger. You have two MVP candidates in your lineup. Hopefully Nolan are not is growing gets them back quicker than I'm hoping it's not a long stint because he's been he's been killing it for him, like a resurgence for him out there in the desert.
Speaker 1: AJ gave me a line on Blue Chew.
Speaker 5: Well, do you need help with your love life, Scott perhaps, do you want to turbo charge your love life? Yes, well then you need Blue Choo Gold because it has four active ingredients that help you not only two turbocharge, but you can supercharge it if you take one of these.
Speaker 1: And AJ is talking about that new arausal boosting formula that combines passion and performance into one tablet that dissolves under your tongue for super fast on set. No more waiting for a pill to kick in, No more moments ruined by performance anxiety. Just the results you want when you want them. Discover your options at blue choo dot com. A special deal is there for the ftfam right now. When you buy two months of bluech You Gold, you get the third for free with promo code foul. That's promo code foul. Visit blue you dot com for more details and important safety information. Thank you to blue Choo for sponsoring the show, and thank you AJ for talking love life. The process is simple and it's all online. Get started today at bluecho dot com and go for gold. Crack of the Bat within the BETMGM app can actually happen because they've got a game that you can play, Swing for a Shot to in daily prizes including bonuses and boost tokens with the Swing for the Fences game. Every day it's in there. Plays a batter, get a hit, win a prize that could include a parlay boost token or a same game parlay boost token. Gambling problem more concern. There's help called one eight hundred gambler. Yeah. See that part's big for me is I think Mike Haysen is one of the best front office executives in the sport. He does a lot with what's given. They're not going to be necessarily a super contender every year, but he knows when to strike at the right times to add to the team. Last year, actually had to wait till the buzzer to figure out what he was going to do. And then even this offseason he held the standard high. He wasn't like, I'm just going to trade kateel Marte because he recognized that there's a window closing for the no trade clause, because now Katel is in control of his own destiny, he's got the full no trade clause. But also wasn't going to give up the fact that they know the player and they know how talented he is, so you're not just giving them up if you're not getting the price you want. And I do think some are looking back now and saying probably should have offered more for Catel Marte. Oh my god, he's what a top fifteen bat at least you could argue in baseball. And also a guy who we saw a few years ago in the World Series and that whole playoff run. Who is a guy you circle right, that's a guy who hits good pitching. He was incredible for them then. So I think he's different. I think he's clutch. I think he's tough to game plan against right and he's got pop. He's got I mean, he kind of does everything right. He's got a little bit of everything. He doesn't really have weakness to his game, makes contact, can hit lefties and righties. So when I saw that in the off season, we spent a lot of time talking about Kotel Marte Kratz. I was surprised because it felt like he was truly getting dangled. And the Diamondbacks were like, are you sure that he's not a superstar, because we think he's a superstar, And if you don't feel that way, we're good. We'll keep him.
Speaker 4: I think all that story about him leaving the team, team and the fire, wait a minute, what happened? I think that might have scared some teams away. I think maybe the impending lockout. Might's scared some teams away in the sense that, Okay, you're trading for this a franchise player, an MVP candidate, and you're gonna lose one of the years that you're getting. So it's like, what's that value look like?
Speaker 3: To me?
Speaker 4: It's a yeah, I think that's what gotten away because if you look at it and you figure out that you have what his numbers are, I mean you're talking about you're talking about a dude in the last three years of going twenty eight thirty six, twenty five pumps, so he's really coming into his power. Ninety plus RBIs a season, and he doesn't strike out that much. The biggest thing that you add him to any lineup, he's a switch hitter. With those types of numbers, it is so hard to game plan. You're like, ah, craw, Oh, yeah, he's going to be hitting from his you know, right side. He's strong right now, right from the right side. Oh, he's gonna be hitting from the left side.
Speaker 3: Crap.
Speaker 4: There's just so many things that a switch hitter with his skill set. I think you kind of undersold him with the top fifteen. I would put him in a top ten because of that switch hitter factor that he enables a lineup to deploy.
Speaker 1: I love him. He's been one of my favorite players to watch in this sport for a while. Top ten favorite players in the sport for me. In terms of the all around game, you just don't see a ton of that where you get the perfect balance of a player like this. He's a top three second basement in the sport, Ay todd Father, We've been talking about them much more frequently lately. We had Josh Reddick on the other day. The Mariners have climbed themselves back out of it pretty quickly, and I don't think they're even close to playing their best ball yet.
Speaker 3: But what do you have for me?
Speaker 1: On the Asters? They've won back to back series for the first time this season. Hunter Brown's going to return in June. Josh Haters coming back? What any day now? I think Kratz or whatever he's eligible. I think maybe June in a week something like that. You've got your best reliever and your best starter almost there and by Monday, okay, and then the team's hanging around here, Todd Father, So what do you have for me on the AO West.
Speaker 3: Six or the last seven? They won?
Speaker 2: Quiet and for me, maybe it's because of where I live. But quietly, you know, I woke up today and my son's like, I watched I just got off one channel and they're talking about the astros. He's like, I want the ESPN to listen to something else and now the astroids.
Speaker 3: Like, man, what's going on with this team?
Speaker 2: I said, dude, Ebbs and Flows, my guy, Ebbs and Flows, listen, I have this team winning.
Speaker 3: I had this team making the playoffs this year. I mean at the end of the.
Speaker 1: Night, by winning, like we're looking at the division right now.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, I had them making the playoffs.
Speaker 1: So you have them as a wildcard?
Speaker 3: Maybe? Yes, we still of course, of course I do.
Speaker 2: I still do. I still think this team's got the punk. Are punk got the spunk, got the spark, They got guys that have been there before. Yeah, the injury bug has hit him, but it's hit a bunch of teams and it's just a matter of who's going to figure it out. And right now, you would have to say that this is one of the better teams right now because guess what, those Ebbs and those Flows, they come real fast, okay, and they're winning games and there, you know quietly, you know, you can name all the guys on the team that are doing well. Uh, But for me, I think they're playing well together everybody, and I think guys are stepping up. I like the Aragetti. I mean, these these guys are figuring things out. You know, he throws ninety four to ninety five, Spencer, but at the same time, it looks like it's faster. You know, he gave up or the home run that Nemo hit yesterday actually wasn't a home run.
Speaker 3: It got robbed.
Speaker 2: So they're making plays, they're doing the right things, and it looks like they're having fun again.
Speaker 1: Two and a half games out, I have a wild card and we're the way through.
Speaker 4: I think it shortened that shorten that rotation. If youord On Alvarez has an MVP season, they win. But that rotation is short right now.
Speaker 1: It's about to get a little longer. You ever heard of Hunter Brown?
Speaker 4: He comes back and then spencerraghedty Hunter Brown, and I'm like, I mean he is.
Speaker 1: Oh that slap fun week. Hope you enjoyed it. Props always to the team behind the scenes. Next week too, we have almost like all of our insiders lined up. We actually have the guest list pretty stacked ready. Next week Bob Knightingale and Bowden and Ken Grayson Rodriguez scheduled to join us. Robert Murray, Max Munsey, Tim Brown to talk about his Nolan Ryan book, Travis Sachek on Monday to get into some hitters that are struggling in the power department. Lots of good stuff. Kratz, what are you wearing?
Speaker 4: I'm in a team that I mean streaky, but they wont too, so I got I gotta give it to him. But I watched the game last night and the post game stayed on on my TV. You listen to the post game Cubs like the wrap up, it was like they didn't one time mention the fact that that Paul Skeen's had ten punchouts. It was like, this is the kind of scrappy at bats that we love to see. And it was like jam job error, rollover bare hand, like no balls got out of you know, past the outfielders.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but you need to you need to understand that's still a good day getting anything across against him? Is he a good day?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean, how many times do you watch him? His part Skeens is his part, Oh yeah, they had back to back errors and and well then he walked out a beat after that. But yeah, I mean, you're expecting perfection from the dude, right.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm That's why I kind of went like, we can't we can't expect Paul Skeen's just come out there and be like, oh yeah, nobody even touched the ball. This isn't We're not in high school anymore, like this is. Although he's putting up video game numbers, he is