Therésa: Hello, Hello, Hello, and welcome to the tenth episode of Haunting Purgatory's premiere podcast, where we share original, one hundred percent real stories about mortal encounters with the paranormal. Our little old podcast is officially double digits today. Now, I know that's not some big, crazy milestone or anything, but as my therapist used to preach, it's about celebrating the little wins. Of course, she was referring to managing my Real Housewives addiction, but I think the sentiment applies here too, and for what it's worth, by the end, I was only watching Salt Lake, Yes, by far, the best of the franchise. Now, I'm not usually one to get sappy on main , but I'm really proud of what we've accomplished in the last ten episodes. A lot of people have been truly terrified, maybe even had life changing experiences that haunt them to this day. But what matters more is that I've really grown. When I died and found out I'd be stuck in Purgatory hosting this podcast for the rest of eternity, or until my unfinished business was finished, I kind of freaked, but after a meltdown in my rage room, My rage room is an abandoned tuberculosis hospital where I go and bang on pipes to get my aggression out. I came to terms with my new reality and decided to turn my lemons into lemon infused charcoal detox water
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: It's Gwyneth's take on lemonade, Len.
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: Oh my god, Len. Keep up. But I have to say I've really learned a lot, not just about the afterlife, but about expressing myself in a non visual medium. For example, as a spirit, I don't show up in photos anymore. So if I want people to know I spent my weekend haunting the VIP section of Pacha Ibiza with Liberace and River Phoenix, I have to mention it repeatedly. You could say I'm feeling pretty at peace these days, almost like my business is finished. Yep, don't tell my caseworker Sharon that my business is feeling pretty finished. I thought that might work, but okay, no, I get it. You gotta trust the process. Anyway, Now we're gonna hear from Karlyn, who is every supernatural podcast host dream listener, because well she can actually hear us.
STORY A: I'm not really sure what to call it. When it starts, it will go in and out, like you're popping your head above water and then going under again, like when water rushes into your ear. I mostly hear voices, but it's hard to distinguish what they're saying because it's usually many voices. But it's just me hearing this. No one else can hear it. This has happened before to me, so I kind of just like brush it off. But this one time it really scared me. Hi I'm Karlyn. I think that ghost might be trying to communicate with me. This was a couple of years ago. I was in my apartment. It was just a normal night in New York City. My boyfriend and I had gone to bed, but the light was still on in the living room. It's not like we shut everything off. We were in bed for maybe ten minutes and then he dozed off. My apartment's a railroad apartment. There's a straight line going from the left. There's a backyard, and then there is my bedroom, then the living room, and then there's a really long hallway where the kitchen is in. I had my eyes closed, but I was awake, and I hear this seventies rock music playing, and I also hear people laughing and talking. The voices get like louder, like someone's like shouting and excitement, and it sounds like it's a karaoke party. So I opened my eyes. It's silent. There's no party going on. The light was still on in the living room, but nothing else. Nothing was on. We didn't have a TV or radio on. It was weird, but I brush it off and I'm just laying down like awake you know, when your eyes are just closed, but you're not really sleeping, you're just on the cusp of it. And then my ears pop. The best way for me to describe it is when you go under water and the water fills your ears and it sounds empty, kind of like an echo of nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing. And then it changes. There's radio static. It sounds like someone is changing the radio station , like someone's trying to look for a channel. And then it'll be like voices, and then it'll change again to something else, and it's very quick, and then I hear a very clear nine one one call. I hear the operator first the address of your emergency typical operator, like where are you, like, what can I do for you? You know, It's a woman and she's very frantic. She is trapped in a house and the nine one one operator asks her if someone is in the house with her. She says, yes, he's in here. He's trapped me in the house. I can hear this woman's panic and it kind of just escalated to her screaming for help, and it's so loud, and then it changes very fast. Other voices start to come in. Some are speaking different languages. Some are whispery and very fast, like they're rushed to say what they're saying, very creepy. And then some are really loud, but it's kind of muffled and far away, so it's hard to make out what they're saying. And it's just like a whirlwind of voices trying to talk to me. I can't hear what they're saying. They're all talking over each other. And then it gets louder until everyone is shouting in my ears. It's so loud it hurts my ears, and then I start to freak out. There's a weight in the room. I can sense their presence right next to me. It's close, like it's right on top of me. It gets really overwhelming, so I just feel like I need to pull myself out of it, and it feels like it takes a long time. But all I do is just open my eyes and everything stops. I'm awake. My body's awake, my mind is awake, my adrenaline is rushing. And then I roll over and I look up right above me is this shadow figure floating above me. I was frozen in fear and awe. I've never seen a shadow person. It was massive, the very tall male shape, and it didn't seem friendly. I'm just in shock staring at it, and it starts to move towards me. I was like, oh my god, I can't believe what I'm actually seeing right now. And it's not really dark in the room, you know, there's light coming in from the living room, so I'm seeing it. It's not my shadow or anyone else's shadow. I don't take my eyes off it. I just start hitting my boyfriend, trying to wake him up. I want him to see what I'm seeing, but I also need protection. He just like grabs me and holds me and he's like ssh, like relax, and I like curl into him. I kind of take a deep breath, and then I look back up at the ceiling. The shadow figure is gone. It scared me. It was probably the scariest thing that's happened to me in a very long time. This wasn't a night terror, and it wasn't sleep paralysis. I've told this story to my friends. They think that it's spirits trying to communicate with me, like I'm almost a channel for these spirits or whatever. On the other side, I do think I'm sensitive to it, and I'm open to it, whether I want to be or not. But I'm scared, and I don't know how to get over my fear and really open up and listen to see if I can actually hear what they have to say. Because it's so many voices at one time it's overwhelming. But I felt like if I was less scared and more open to it, the voices would come through more clearly. In those moments, I feel very vulnerable, like I'm open for good things, but I'm also open for bad things, and I feel the bad things, like I feel the bad energy and I'm like, okay, I need to close it off. I feel like I've never had a good experience it's more like very neutral or it's very bad. I am interested in finding out if I am a medium, but it's also kind of scary.
Therésa: Karlyn Girl, tune into our channel. It's a party. No shadow people over here, just two well meaning spirits and one poorly adapted demonic intern celebrating a small but mighty milestone in their other worldly career endeavors. I'm sorry, Naomi, but your work ethic is inconsistent and your disregard for authority is troubling. Right, So I want to give you my rose, bud and thorn of this whole experience so far, I would say my rose was episode eight when I learned about the afterlife dating apps, and my thorn was probably in episode six when I accidentally alienated Jimmy Buffet's entire fan base. Len, maybe we just delete that one?
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: Ugh, fine. Well, my bud, which is something I'm looking forward to that has blooming potential, is continuing to learn more about all the different types of spiritual entities out there and the creative ways they inflict suffering and terror on their human targets, and the potential for free stuff from pr people. Yeah, we like free stuff. Now, if you have any favorite moments from the last ten episodes you'd like to share, email Len at HauntingThePodcast@gmail.com and while you do, listen to Alex, who continues our celebratory theme of the auditory Haunt with this next story.
STORY B: I've heard a lot of the paranormal sounding stories from people. Part of me always was like, oh, man, I kind of wish something like that would happen to me. When it did, I instantly regret ever having a desire for something like this to happen to me. Our first thought was, something is behind us. We saw darkness. We can't see there, but whatever is there can see us. It's definitely very haunting. We make a run for it. We booked it. My name is Alex and one night in a forest in Spain, I heard something scream from behind me and it still haunts me to this day. It was in June of twenty thirteen. It took place in a small coastal farmtown in Galicia, which is in the northwest of Spain. I was about twenty four years old at the time. I have a lot of family in Spain. My mom is Spanish. Growing up going to Spain, it was something we did almost every summer to see family and stuff, and you know, it's a really unique, beautiful town. So it took a couple of weeks off of work and with a really good friend of mine. I think it had been like a couple of years since I had last went at that time. You know, I've been going there almost every summer of my life and wanted to share that with somebody else. So we made our way there. We brought our nice camera, so we were really hoping that we would get to practice some night photography while we were there. I've always felt very safe there. We always used to say, oh my god, this is a small town. Whatever bad could happen here. When we were young, we used to take night walks as a family, and we were just always kind of just think, oh my gosh, like, you know, this is so safe. We never heard anything about animals, We never heard anything about people coming through and doing any harm to anybody. We had about four days left on our trip, and you know, we really wanted to test out the camera. We had never done night photography before. We bought a remote shutter for it. The first night we wanted to go take pictures of this lighthouse they call it Alfaro. When you think of your traditional lighthouse, you think of the shape and you know the beacon at the top, and this one just it was a unique architecture. It's something a lot of people come to visit. This is, you know, this big rectangular building with a beacon on top that you know spins. Underneath the lighthouse, You have these like tunnels and these bunkers that were built during the Spanish Civil War. They were used as lookout points to see if the French were invading. It's been there for almost one hundred years or something. It just seemed like a natural thing to take night photos of. I would say you to get there from my house, it's got to be about forty five minutes to an hour walk. It's not too far away. You know, you have to walk through the town, you know, you walk past all these houses and then you get to the entrance of the forest. At night, you see the beacon of light spinning, so it's almost kind of like it draws you. It's pretty much a straight shot, you know, you just kind of follow the road. You get to the forest, and then that takes you up to the cliffs and then you make a right and you just kind of follow the road all the way and then kind of curves around and then you just kind of walk. Honestly, The biggest danger you might have a crazy spaniard just driving super fast on that road. First night went absolutely amazing. You know. We visited some of the bunkers underneath and we got some great photos. It was a moonless night. It was so dark, yet in a way, the sky was so bright with stars. I had never seen so many stars in my life, just like a mess of stars. We decided to come back at two in the morning. When we were walking back, we even stopped in the forest take a few night photos in there. So the next night we were like, let's do this again, let's go do more. It was the same situation. Couldn't see the moon, mess of stars in the sky. We were out there a little longer than the night before, because you just lose yourself when you're doing this one shot. You do a three minute exposure and you just keep doing that until you get one next thing. You know, oh wow, it's about three now I really should be walking home now. We're walking back now through the forest. Everything's fine. We had a little radio with us that we were playing music, and all of a sudden we hear this loud, high pitched, female sounding shriek from very close behind us. Obviously, we got extremely startled. We just stopped in our tracks and both of us kind of whipped our bodies around to look and it was just darkness behind us. My mind was just racing and I'm trying to kind of give a facade like okay, okay, but on the inside, I'm like, something is about to emerge from the darkness, and the most I can do is buy five seconds for my friend here. We just didn't know what to do. And then another scream. It must have been fifteen seconds after. At that point, we do our best impression of an Olympic sprinter. We turn around and we just run. I'll never forget. As we're running, I hear the stream two more times. We get to the entrance of the forest and hear it again, but it sounds further enough. Adrenaline is pumping. I remember my heart beating so fast. It just felt like once we got to the entrance of the forest, we didn't need to run anymore. The screams were way behind us now, didn't seem like anything was following us. We felt safe at that point. We made our way back into the town and I remember all of the neighbors dogs barking, howling. Normally the dogs will bark at you if you walk by, but I remember that night like you could just hear all of the dogs barking from all the houses. I remember we were walking by my uncle's house and he had this really nice dog that would usually come and greet us, and I remember we kind of walked by and the dog came up, but the dog seemed very tense and almost kind of retreated a little bit and was growling. You know, I felt like we got a lot of bad energy on us right now, and it was agitating all the animals. I felt terrible. You know, I bring my really really great friend to Spain with me and tell her family, don't worry, I'll keep her safe. Well, it was so scary about it was just how close it was to us, and just how all four times that I heard the scream it was the same tone, the same length, the same. It just was definitely very haunting. When we got back to the house, we tried to think about it practically. Well, what could this have really been? You know, it felt paranormal. But you know, we're just trying to think, maybe it was an animal? Maybe it was a bird? I had never heard of any animals. I don't think I've ever really even seen deer in that forest. All my life growing up, nobody ever said, oh, watch out, there's big cats or something. It was certainly the most bizarre thing I had personally ever experienced in my life. With a female sounding scream, we would always call her the Little Banshee Woman of Spain. From what I know about banshee's, it's like screaming ghosts. You hear the scream and you want to get away from the scream. You know, some people ask me, do you think that the ghost put a curse on you or something? And I'm like, you know, I can't tell for sure, but hopefully I've done enough to lift that curse. I can't lie. I'm still a bit skeptical, but in my heart, it really did feel paranormal to me. I truly believe people experience things that are just out of this world.
Therésa: Spooky, yes, But the Little Banshee Woman of Spain is a great name for a band. Well, I've almost polished off this bottle of Champagne completely on my own because Len refuses to have any fun at all while we're on the clock. What clock, There's no time here. I don't even know how long I've been dead. But truly, from the bottom of my heart, thank you to our listeners for tuning in, sharing your stories, and engaging with us via email, the feed, dms, and psychic mediums. I read every single positive comment about me. Remember, everyone, this is just the beginning of Haunting, and we want to share your stories. So if you've ever been personally victimized by a malicious spirit, don't let it have been in vain. Share it on the pod. Email Len at Haunting ThePodcast@gmail.com. You never know. It might even feel cathartic. Oh boy, Naomi opened another. Here we go! Naomi, You're bad. You want to watch Real Housewives Salt Lake after this? Okay, betch. Bye Loves, see you next time. Wait, guys, should we go haunting like I'm in the mood to just Boo boo, boo, boo boo all over town. You get a boo, you get a boo, and you get a- It's okay, I'm okay, I'm fine.
Credits: If you have a Haunting story to share, please email us at HauntingThePodcast@gmail.com. Haunting is a production of Glass Podcast in partnership with iHeart Podcast. Haunting was created and executive produced by Nancy Glass, Andrea Gunning, Ben Fetterman and Lauren Lapkus. It is hosted by Lauren Lapkus as her character Therésa. Haunting is directed by Aleah Welsh and produced by Trey Morgan. It is written by Aleah Welsh, with additional writing by Nancy Glass, Trey Morgan, Ben Fetterman, and Kristin Melchiorre. Additional production support by Todd Ganz. Additional voice acting by Trey Morgan as the character producer Len Walker. Editing and sound designed by Matt Delvecchio with additional editing by Nico Arouca, mixed and mastered by Dave Saia. Operations and production support by Kristin Melchiorre. Haunting's theme and original compositions were composed by Oliver Baines and Dorry Macaulay of Noiser. Music Library provided by Mibe Music. Special thanks to Speakeasy Sound Studios in Burbank, California. Follow us on social media by searching for Glass Podcast or by visiting glasspodcast.com . For more shows from iHeart Podcasts and Glass Podcast, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.