Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: To begin right here.
Speaker 3: In New York City, there was a march on Wall Street today sponsored by the group Occupy Wall Street and oddly enough sunny.
Speaker 2: D for extreme protest thirst. The Occupy Wall Street movement has.
Speaker 3: Basically been a four week downtown Manhattan live in which has spread the cities all around the country, causing the media to move its coverage dial from blackout to circus. It's about those are the only two settings it has. Intrepid reporters from all the major networks, and CNN went down to talk with the protesters.
Speaker 2: Of course, the reporters.
Speaker 3: Changed into their undercover twenty one Jump Street outfits.
Speaker 2: What's up? Protesters? Mind if she relaxed with you, n HD because the aspect ratio on the shots, it'll be why are the protesters there? Well?
Speaker 3: The answers ranged from extremely earnest college roommate to powerful and kajent.
Speaker 4: What do you guys want bring attention to the pervasive influence that corporations have in the political process?
Speaker 2: What do we as Americans agree on? What do we do about it?
Speaker 5: We the people are here to take the.
Speaker 6: Power back now after thirty years of having our living standards decrease, while the luckiest four percent have had it better than ever.
Speaker 7: I think it's time for maybe, I don't know, some participation in our democracy.
Speaker 3: Geam that brought game.
Speaker 2: You know what he's saying, what's up tea party?
Speaker 3: I see your track corner hat and I raise you a Union soldier Kepi.
Speaker 2: So those are the protesters. Or to put their words another way, I.
Speaker 8: Think if you put every single left wing calls into a blender and hip power, this is the sludge you'd get.
Speaker 2: So one guy with a guitar and they asked.
Speaker 9: Him very hippie, like woodstock meets burning man meets people with absolutely no purpose.
Speaker 2: There are some of the most uninformed people. If you listen to them.
Speaker 10: They're all over the map demolition of capitalism.
Speaker 2: If we learn to share, we can all live in prosperity.
Speaker 11: All of those quotes could have been said in seventeen eighty nine France, before the French Revolution or the Russian Revolution, or with only slight modification, when the Nazis were coming to power. This is always the beginning of totalitarianism.
Speaker 3: This group is a laughable gang of disorganized, confused Nazis. This is an ill disciplined, highly trained, weed smoking fascist organization. But the protesters do have some surprising.
Speaker 12: Defe You know, the average American taxpayer knows that at the end of the day, they're going to be on the hook for the trillions and trillions of dollars that we're using to bail out these companies, some of whom have been irresponsible, and they are expressing their frustration, which I think is quintessentially American.
Speaker 3: Bravo, bravo Sean Hannity breaking ranks with your conservative friends. Oh that's a clip from two thousand and nine about the Tea Party. Ah, what does Sean Hannity think about these protesters frustrations?
Speaker 12: They hate corporations, they hate capitalism, and in the end, ultimately they want statism over free markets. So they really don't like freedom.
Speaker 3: Oh all right, So rage against duly elected government is patriotic, quin essentially American, whereas rage against multinational shareholder accountable corp operations is anti America.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, Okay, that's good.
Speaker 3: I don't get it. Here's a group of Americans disenchanted, railing against big government bailouts, angry because they played by the rules, worked hard. Now they're in debt from student loans and they're unemployed. I mean, look, if this thing throws it turns into throwing trash cans into Starbucks windows, nobody's going to be down with that.
Speaker 2: We all love startars. But these protesters, how are they not like the Tea Party?
Speaker 11: All right?
Speaker 3: Some of them, you know, smoke and have pants made out of pot, So call them.
Speaker 2: The THCHC Party.
Speaker 3: Aren't these folks real citizens with real problems?
Speaker 2: Aren't they also speaking for America?
Speaker 13: These folks aren't speaking for America.
Speaker 14: Just your basic green, anti capitalist, anti bank, anti Wall Street, anti American demonstration.
Speaker 13: That's not Tea Party behavior. That's not America loving behavior.
Speaker 3: They probably don't even masturbate to the constitution.
Speaker 2: That's what I find, all right, I'll buy it.
Speaker 3: Why Why are the Occupy Wall Street folks unworthy of Tea Party respect and ideals?
Speaker 13: They're not law abiding citizens. They're camping in a park where camping isn't allowed. They're breaking the laws on the Brooklyn Bridge. That's not Tea Party behavior.
Speaker 3: Everything you described there, I believe is a misdemeanor. The actual Tea Party was a felony. Do you know how much trouble I mean, do you know what the Tea Party actually was? You know how much trouble you get it if you broke into a ship, stole the cargo from the ship's owners, and just threw it overboard, not to mention the EPA finds and the damage it would do to your Indian costume. The Tea Party namesake. You're named after the most celebrated act of theft and vandalism of private property in our nation's history.
Speaker 2: And you can't stomach a little park camping.
Speaker 3: But if there is one criticism that nearly everyone, even their supporters, seem to share, it was this.
Speaker 4: When you look at the message, though, what is it these protesters are trying to get across here? Because it doesn't necessarily seem a very cohesive one.
Speaker 3: Seems like they're really going to have to crystallize their message.
Speaker 15: The message is muddled.
Speaker 16: Did you just call the protesters muggles?
Speaker 2: But I watch a lot of movies, but this guy brings up a good point.
Speaker 3: We cannot expect a bunch of disenfranchised park dwellers to come up with a coherent solution to our nation's economic woes. We have a political ruling class to do that.
Speaker 12: Congress demanding answers on what caused the economic meltdown.
Speaker 8: A bipartisan group of senators known as the Gang of Six is working on a proposal to cut the deficit.
Speaker 17: The Congressional super Committee created to cut the deficit, the Simpson Ball.
Speaker 18: Plan Senator Coburn's plan.
Speaker 15: Doesn't this sound like a great idea?
Speaker 1: Simpson bowls sound like a great.
Speaker 10: The bowl Simpson dead on arrival.
Speaker 19: The ten of you spent months working on this, though, and now you have this significant descent.
Speaker 2: I mean, what we should do is break these banks up.
Speaker 20: To break up every institution right now could have been destabilizing.
Speaker 10: You haven't put your own budget the.
Speaker 2: Truth of the match.
Speaker 3: Just just get I think I got it. I think I got it. Yeah, I think I got it. That's for God's sakes, people. Now, I see why you're mad at them for being muddled and incoherent.
Speaker 2: That's your job. All the way.
Speaker 3: We did pass Dog Frank, the greatest Wall Street reform since the Great Depression.
Speaker 21: In just over two weeks, the Dodd Frank Law will be a year old, and we're not really any closer to fully implementing it.
Speaker 22: The stuff that would have addressed the fraud, too big to fail derivatives from almost all those measures were either rejected out right or what are down to almost near meaningless.
Speaker 21: Out of an estimated four hundred regulations to be written, just thirty eight are complete, and those.
Speaker 2: Thirty eight were the easy ones.
Speaker 3: No spitting, don't take your out before five on the wall. You know what if the people who were supposed to fix our financial system had actually done it, the people who have no idea how to solve these problems wouldn't be getting for not offering solutions. And while we all fight, the real victims, as always, continue to suffer.
Speaker 14: I was up in Boston this weekend and they had occupy Boston.
Speaker 2: There were a thousand people that do AP protest.
Speaker 17: I was just driving by. I was trying to get to supper and a thousand people were between me and a steak dinner.
Speaker 3: Steve Doocy reacting to the revolution, Let me eat steak.
Speaker 2: But first, obviously, the big.
Speaker 3: News of the past few weeks the town of Ferguson, Missouri, where the shooting by police of teenager Michael Brown has sparked a series of protests, which in turn sparked a let's say stern response by police who appear to be auditioning for RoboCop. It's a story that has a lot of people outraged and upset.
Speaker 12: I came back from vacation because I am furious.
Speaker 2: Of course, you are.
Speaker 3: An unarmed black teenager gunned down in the street by police under suspicious circumstances. Who wouldn't cut their vacation short to register their fury. You'd have to be a monster, or in my case, enjoying a particularly nice vacation. But good on you, mister O'Reilly for coming back, unless, of course, you're furious.
Speaker 2: About something else.
Speaker 12: Furious about how the shooting death of eighteen year old Michael Brown is being reported and how various people are reacting to it.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is the outrage. The shooting of Michael Brown and any lack of transparency from the police department responsible for said incident is outrageous in how it has been reported. And I guess that's not the only reason to be angry.
Speaker 23: Is he going to get a fair shake this officer?
Speaker 2: There has been a rush to judgment here.
Speaker 19: Calder flies into Ferguson, you know with this, you know superhero Kape.
Speaker 4: This mantra of the unarmed black teenager shot by a white cop. You know that description in and of itself actually colors the way in which we look at this story.
Speaker 3: Yes, describing the actual facts of the case really does color the way we look at it. White cop shoots unarmed black team does sound terrible, whereas say, hero cop kills alien hunting humans for sport.
Speaker 2: Would put a completely different spin.
Speaker 3: On things, which, though a very accurate description of the plot of Predator Too, is in this case.
Speaker 2: Not what happened. And you know what, there's so many other stories out there.
Speaker 12: Why aren't we covering New York?
Speaker 18: Why aren't we covering black on black crime?
Speaker 3: Yes, why all the interest in holding police officers to a higher standard than gangs?
Speaker 2: They both flash colors, and yes one of them has been sworn to protect and defend.
Speaker 12: But still, well, this weekend, forty two people shot in Chicago. You know, I don't see the protests, don't see the anger.
Speaker 23: If I were African American, I would be outraged that more journalists aren't covering what's happening in Chicago, and more outraged of people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson donhead to those areas.
Speaker 3: Yes, what could explain the lack of outrage about Al Sharpton and his ILK not doing anything about black on black violence in Chicago.
Speaker 24: With Chicago's violence making national headlines, a group led by the Reverend Al Sharpton plans to convene an anti violent summit of national civil rights leaders here.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right, because African American leaders did hold the summit about that in November, and I've met at least three times in the city. Doesn't the last thirteen months, which is not to say it's been effective, but taken along with the presidents, my Brother's Keeper initiative, which attempts to address this violence, and the countless vigils and marches within these violence torn communities, means they are trying actually to do something.
Speaker 2: You see.
Speaker 3: You being ignorant of those attempts doesn't mean the issue itself is being ignored. In the same way that when it snows where you live doesn't mean the world isn't getting hotter. Oh you know what, there's something else bothering you, isn't there.
Speaker 25: When a cop pulls me over, I say, I put my hands outside of the car. If I'm carrying a weapon which I'm licensed to carry in New York, the first thing I tell the police officers, Officer, I want you to know I have a legal firearm in the in the car.
Speaker 3: And then I braced myself for the taser. Well without getting into the fact that you get pulled over so much by the cops that sometimes you're carrying a weapon, sometimes you're not.
Speaker 2: I don't know, just depends on how I'm feeling that day.
Speaker 25: But continue, I often would would even take my step out of the car, lift my shirt up so we can see where the gun is.
Speaker 2: You really do have no idea, you really do it basically.
Speaker 15: Basically, you're saying.
Speaker 3: If only Michael Brown, instead of holding his hands over his head, had reached down to his waist.
Speaker 2: And lifted up his shirt.
Speaker 3: To show the gun he did not actually have.
Speaker 2: This whole tragedy could have been avoided.
Speaker 3: Do you not understand that life in this country is inherently different for white people.
Speaker 2: And black people.
Speaker 23: A lot of people are trying to make this data about black and white and trying to make this about race.
Speaker 17: But this is part of this effort to make it everything about race.
Speaker 2: Is this a story about race?
Speaker 18: Do we know that?
Speaker 4: I think it is playing the race card, and I think it's disgraceful.
Speaker 1: The only racial divide that has created here is being created by the race baders.
Speaker 14: He who talks about racists, did you just he who smelt it dealt it racism?
Speaker 2: Did you really.
Speaker 1: Here smelt the govert racism?
Speaker 16: Hi?
Speaker 3: Forget that in Ferguson, ninety four percent of the police are white and sixty three percent of the people are black. Forget the ninety two percent of police searches and eighty six percent of car.
Speaker 2: Stops are for black people.
Speaker 3: Forget that the white municipal government finance is nearly a quarter of its annual budget through the fines and penalties disproportionately leveled against the black portion of the population. Forget that the history of this town includes this tasty nugget.
Speaker 20: The fifty two year old man named Henry Davis said that four Ferguson police officers beat him then charged him with image in government property because his blood had gotten on the officer's uniforms.
Speaker 2: So they get this straight.
Speaker 3: You guys got tanks, but you can't keep a couple of tide sticks around. Because here's the problem with everything that's going on in this conversation. This isnt all about just one man killed in one town. It's about how people of color, no matter their socioeconomic standing, face obstacles in this country with surprising grace.
Speaker 2: Look at.
Speaker 3: Look at how upset you all get about certain things tonight Christmas.
Speaker 1: I'm attacked.
Speaker 12: Why are we allowing anti Christmas madness?
Speaker 9: Why do I have to drive around with my kids to look for Nativity scenes and be like, oh, yeah, kids, look there's Baby Jesus behind the fest of his pull made out of beer cans.
Speaker 2: It's nuts.
Speaker 3: Remember you were furious that America's eleven month long celebration of Christmas.
Speaker 2: Wasn't enough.
Speaker 3: But now if you can just imagine that instead of having to suffer the indignity of a Festivus poll blocking something you could have just set up in your own yard anyway, imagine that instead of that, on a pretty consistent basis, you can't get a cab even though you're a neurosurgeon, because you're black.
Speaker 2: I guarantee you, I guarantee you.
Speaker 15: That every I guarantee you.
Speaker 3: That every person of color in this country has faced an indignity from the ridiculous to the grotesque, to the sometimes fatal. At some point in there, I'm going to say, last couple of hours because of their skin color. Quick story. So we live in New York City, a liberal bastion.
Speaker 2: Recently, let me.
Speaker 3: Finish, recently, we sent a correspondent and a producer to a building in this liberal bastion where we were going to tape an interview. The producer, white, dressed in what could only be described as homeless.
Speaker 2: Elf attire.
Speaker 3: And a pretty strong five o'clock from the previous week's shadow, strode confidently into the building, preceding our humble correspondent, a gentleman of color dressed resplendently in a tailored suit.
Speaker 2: Who do you think was stopped? Let me give you a hint. The black guy. And that happens all the time. All of it.
Speaker 3: Race is there, and it is a constant. You're tired of hearing about it. Imagine how exhausting it is living it. The Grand Jury and Ferguson, Missouri, was deciding that Ferguson Police officer now former Ferguson Police officer Darren Wilson did nothing indictable when he shot unarmed but large Michael Brown. The angry reaction to this decision.
Speaker 2: Was swift and sustained.
Speaker 3: The protests breaking out throughout the country. But if those who took to the streets thought that they were speaking out against systemic injustice, it could not have been more wrong.
Speaker 2: This is not a civil rights issue. It's not a black white situation. It's a thug a police officer situation. People forget he had committed a robbery. Michael Brown was the bad guy in this case.
Speaker 17: And please America, let's not turn this kid into some kind of civil rights martyr because that.
Speaker 2: He is not. Ferguson, Missouri is not Selma Alabama.
Speaker 3: Right, almost by definition, Ferguson, Missouri is not Selma Alabama. Of course, if Fox had been around for Selma Alabama, the headline would probably have been relaxed.
Speaker 2: Selma is in slavery.
Speaker 3: So this isn't a civil rights thing, although I don't know, the protests I saw seemed pretty civil rights, from those in Los Angeles to the NFL to the streets right here in New York.
Speaker 7: Inger the voices and they picked people the way you can hear.
Speaker 10: These people are.
Speaker 2: I feel you, but I get what you're saying there.
Speaker 3: This is an isolated incident, like the police shooting of Tamir Rice in Cleveland, or Dante Parker in San Bernardino County, or Kendrick mcdadeen Pasadena, or Armond Bennett in New Orleans, or John Crawford in what time does Colbert start? What time does his show start? It's in like a half hour, right, All right, we'll just move on. The point is these shootings are clearly not a manifestation of systemic inequality and mistrust between the African American community and these somehow always justified police American community. But these are merely an unending, bizarrely similar series of isolated incidents. But if there's nothing to justify the anger and protest in these communities, why would so many individuals around the country spend their precious hard earned pre Christmas sales stampeding time protesting a non existent problem.
Speaker 1: You look at fergus So, they had a community that really worked, or it seemed to have worked, and now all this hatred's coming out. You have so many other people inciting and trying to get their own two cents in, and they're trying to incite problems.
Speaker 15: Pitting whites against blacks.
Speaker 12: I think the racial arsonists in this country have worked these people up so much with propaganda that facts don't matter.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why they take to the streets.
Speaker 3: They were incited by racial arsonists. You know, I have a dream that one day we can evolve as people to a time when arsenists no longer see race, but see really only the beautiful consuming fire they are criminally compelled to life. When an arsenist can say, the only color I see is orange, but I get it there obviously wouldn't be a problem if a racial arsonist, if a racial arsonist hadn't.
Speaker 2: Racial arsenist had lit.
Speaker 3: The fire under Ferguson with his telling of what happened match. And by the way, racial arsonists were not the only insiders.
Speaker 18: These racial racketeers are race hustlers.
Speaker 2: Race grievance industry leaders.
Speaker 3: Your race rifters, your race counterfeiters, your race litterers, your race financial advisors, your race your race somaliers.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with a nice white.
Speaker 16: But but the point is these protests may look like a spontaneous groundswell of frustration, grief, and anger amongst the community that feels disenfranchised, but they're actually just the.
Speaker 3: Prescribed bidding of America's race grievance puppeteers.
Speaker 2: And who might they be? You ask, professor?
Speaker 12: The floor is yours, the President and Eric Holder and Al Sharpton. I think they've been terribly irresponsible. Ferguson Burns because of in part, a mindset was created by Al Sharpton, by Eric Holder and the President.
Speaker 3: Be honest, my friend, are those the three people responsible? Or did you just name the only three black guys you could think of?
Speaker 6: Which one?
Speaker 2: Ferguson Burns.
Speaker 3: Ferguson Burns, my friend, in part because of jay Z, the guy who plays Urkle And.
Speaker 2: Let's say, thank Aaron. I don't know. Now Here's where it gets interesting.
Speaker 3: What is the mindset that has been instilled that creates the conditions for this upset within the African American community.
Speaker 12: The head of this network, Roger Ailes, has brilliantly said that if you see yourself.
Speaker 15: As a victim, then you'll become a victim.
Speaker 26: But if you see yourself as a winner, then you'll eventually win.
Speaker 3: Keep a dream, journal, folks. A victim mentality is what's causing this? A victim mentality? A gentleman on Fox A gentleman on Fox News said that black people have been convinced by a network of shrewd propagandists that they are somehow victims, and that is wrong to agitate a population, to scare them, utilizing all the tools of modern communication, graphics, music, et cetera, to stoke these people into a resentful frenzy. Fox News feels that's just damaging to this great nation.
Speaker 2: And tears at are very fabric.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine anyone would do such a thing at Just roll the tape.
Speaker 7: The president is selling class warfare. Is there a growing anti white people movement in America?
Speaker 25: The FEDS and many state governments are working hard to take away your guns.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, they'll take your money.
Speaker 12: The invasion of illegal immigrants.
Speaker 27: We have terrorists crossing the Mexican border singled out for its Christian message.
Speaker 17: We can pick on white guys, We can pick on Christians in this country. Books, damp, abusers beating on taxpayers the United States of entitlements.
Speaker 12: They're stealing our money, and the taxpayers should rise up.
Speaker 27: We are under ay now.
Speaker 15: All hail King Obama, an imperial president.
Speaker 17: America's freedom is slipping away.
Speaker 12: America's best aids are behind her.
Speaker 21: America, you have.
Speaker 14: A choice to make it is time that we take our country back.
Speaker 2: You need to get angry.
Speaker 21: Our worst fears might very well be here.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I'm supposed to overthrow the government or get one of them panic rooms.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to do.
Speaker 3: But either way, I'm just happy to not be incited. It almost makes you think that the crime that they're really upset about over there isn't race pimping or race arson.
Speaker 2: It's race plagiarism.
Speaker 18: So I thought, you know what, I'm going to go back to America and just chill. Turns out I left the third World and landed in the third.
Speaker 20: Reich White Nash the list descending on Charlottesville, Virginia to protest the removal of a statue of Confederate leader Robert E.
Speaker 9: Lee.
Speaker 12: In Charlottesville, Virginia, where protests are turning violence. At at least one person.
Speaker 27: Is dead after car woud into a group of counter protesters.
Speaker 10: President Trump turns an infrastructure of vent into a rambling rant, blaming both sides for the violence.
Speaker 1: That group.
Speaker 26: But you also had people that were very fine people on both sides. I think this blame on both sides. You look at you look at both sides. I think there's blame on both sides, and I have no doubt about it, and you don't have any doubt about it either.
Speaker 18: Like I know he was trying to convince us, but Trump just looks like an untrained Jedi failing hard.
Speaker 27: You know.
Speaker 28: It's just like you don't have any data, but you don't naziason.
Speaker 18: The people protesting are equivalent. And also KFC is a vegetable, you know, you know, and you know what, Like I know that this happened a week ago, but I'm not gonna lie. I'm still processing everything.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 18: First of all, a racist neo Nazi killed a peacefully protesting woman with his car. Right then the presidents of the United States defended the neo Nazis who that dude was marching with. And this is the thing, it's not once but twice, like Donald Trump said it. Then three days later he came back and said, hey, hey, you know how I said that Nazi defending thing. Well, I just realized that I messed up. I didn't defend them enough. Yeah. Yeah, my support was here and I was trying to get it here. Yeah, And I'm not gonna lie. I don't know about you, but it seemed for a moment that okay, this was it. This was clearly not what presidents do you know, after tragic national events, a leader, even a mediocre leader, says the things to unite the country, to calm the tensions, not inflame them, and especially not express sympathy for Nazi sympathizers South Africa.
Speaker 7: This is how crazy this is.
Speaker 18: In South Africa during apartheid, right, we had a Nazi organization known as the AWB, and they wanted an all white country. They had their own hip new Swastika. Right, it was full of Nazi, full of Nazi organization, and back then South Africa was under apartheids. But the government, right, the apartheid government, they'd restricted where black people could live, it didn't allow them to study. Most importantly, it stripped away their right to vote. And even then, in the midst of apartheid, when the AWB would hold its rallies, the apartheid government would be like, no, no, no, whoa whoa, whoa, whoa whoa whoa nazis no no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 28: I mean, come on, I like racism just as much as the next guy, But come on, Nazis. Nazis, Come on, people, I think we can all agree as humans or as black people, that Nazis is a step too far.
Speaker 26: People.
Speaker 18: It's a step too far even in apartheid South Africa. But today in America, we're not even at that point. Seven months into his term, forty one months to go, by the way, and the President of the United States has officially legitimized white supremacists, basically saying, we need to see things from the Nazis points of view. You know, march a mile in their boots, and you would think, you would think that surely this would be the straw that broke the camel's back. Well, it turns out that the president's party has a lot of camels.
Speaker 12: A new CBS newsport out this week showed that sixty seven percent of Republicans approve of the way President Trump handled the response to the Charlottesville attack.
Speaker 18: But how but how like two thirds of Republicans two thirds of Republicans thought that Trump handled Charlottesville. Well, like, I know it sounds crazy to say this, but that's the shocking part for me. You know, Donald Trump did his thing, But sixty seven percent are like, yeah, yeah, you know, he did his things. Like, let me put it this way. Anyone can fight, right, a person can fart, they do their thing. They fought, but it takes a special group of peop people, two thirds of them to be like, nicely done. Yeah, I like the way you handle that.
Speaker 13: That was nice.
Speaker 7: That was really nice.
Speaker 15: I like that. Who are you? Hey, Here's the thing.
Speaker 18: If so many of Trump's supporters are willing to give Nazis the benefit of the doubt, then clearly anything goes. There's no line that they won't cross, and clearly no cross that they won't burn. You know, with all these protests sweeping across America, people have been comparing this moment to the civil rights movement of the nineteen sixties, and much like the nineteen sixties, law enforcement officers have met these calls to end police brutality with even more police brutality.
Speaker 10: Across the country. Peaceful protests have too often devolved into standoffs with heavily armed police using military style tactics flash bangs, tear gas, rubber bullets, helicopters, armored vehicles.
Speaker 27: Law enforcement in riot gear approach a barrier. Protesters on the other side hands up in the air, chanting don't shoot, But that's exactly what they did, shooting tear gas and rubber bullets.
Speaker 10: The threat of terrorism after nine to eleven convinced many departments to stock up. Now those departments are facing off against their own citizens.
Speaker 18: Just take a moment to think about that. The police department got this heavy duty equipment to fight terrorists, that's why they got the equipment post nine eleven, and now they're using it against Americans who are exercising their right to protest. And I'm sorry, what about these people, screams terrorists to you, Like, maybe I've forgotten my history, but I don't remember the part where al Qaeda attacked America with cardboard signs. And an argument I've heard some people make is that the only reason the police are doing this is because the protesters are looting or being violent. That's what they say. No, they're doing this because the people are violent. But as happens so often, the police's story never matches the actual footage.
Speaker 2: Because for the.
Speaker 18: Past week, the Internet has been full of videos of police officers attacking protesters with no provocation whatsoever.
Speaker 6: Caught on camera from coast to coast. Alleged excessive force by police officers attacks against protesters who are demonstrating against police brutality.
Speaker 19: And New York police drove a vehicle into a crowd of people protesting there.
Speaker 11: In Los Angeles, police swing battens at people who witnesses say, we're simply standing with their hands up.
Speaker 5: A New York police officer is caught on camera pushing a woman who was demonstrating.
Speaker 23: An officer pulling a man's face mask off and spraying him with pepper spray.
Speaker 4: Unsettling image of an officer kicking a woman who was mazed.
Speaker 3: Caught on camera a protest to run over by an HPD mounted patrol unit at the height of the protests.
Speaker 8: We as black people deal with this every day.
Speaker 13: Black and brown people are treated brutally every day.
Speaker 18: I don't care who you are. Those images have to be upsetting to watch because these images are the antitheses of what America is supposed to stand for. This is supposed to be the country where you have the freedom to say whatever you want. A democracy right, you can say whatever you want, whether it's Black Lives Matter or let's all drink bleach. The government is not supposed to physically punish you for that, and that hasn't always been the case in America, but that is the ideal. Right When people were protesting in Michigan, saying that they want to go out, they want to go back to work, they want to get haircuts, they don't care about the coronavirus. They weren't getting beaten up. And that's what America is. The freedom to protest, and the freedom to protest isn't the only American ideal the police have been trying to suppress lately. It seems like they've been really making a concerted effort to go after the free press.
Speaker 17: More than three hundred journalists have faced press freedom violations.
Speaker 25: Across the United States.
Speaker 3: The camera is rolling when law enforcement seemed to be targeting journeys, I am press. We identified ourselves as press, and they fired tear gas canisters on us pointlank Range.
Speaker 9: This Australian cameraman and reporter were shoved and hit while live on air.
Speaker 21: Police now advancing fun shot I'm.
Speaker 6: Getting in Louisville, pepper balls fired a crew on live TV.
Speaker 15: Who are they aiming that at?
Speaker 27: So it's like directly at us?
Speaker 18: Yeah, those videos are what's happening in America right now. Cops are just openly firing tear gus and pepper bullets and everything on journalists. I mean, I can't blame them. If I was doing the shit that the police have been doing, I wouldn't want anyone recording it either. So the police are attacking unon protesters, defenseless reporters. I mean, at this point you might be wondering, is there anyone? Is there anyone non threatening enough that the police would not get violent with them? And what we're learning is that the answer is no.
Speaker 10: A Salt Lake City police officer in full riot gear using his shield to push an elderly man with a cane. The man falls face first onto the ground.
Speaker 17: Two officers in Buffalo, New York pushing a seventy five year old man who falls to the ground, hits his head and starts bleeding. None of the officers in the video appear to help him.
Speaker 18: I don't care how many times I see that video. I will never get used to it, because it's bad enough that these cops push an old man who's walking over to them, but the fact that they walk over him, they walk past him while he's bleeding out on the sidewalk, Like, who are you protecting and serving if not that old man. And think about it, these were just two that were caught on video. Now, as usual when videos like this come out, the excuse is always the same. People always want to defend those police by saying those are just a couple of bad apples. That is not a signify that is not representative of the entire police departments. The only issue is that argument falls apart when you see what happened after they pushed this old man to the ground.
Speaker 17: A police statement released before the footage was posted online said only that a man tripped and fell.
Speaker 7: But after the video surface, the police commissioner ordered an internal affairs investigation and the immediate suspension of the officers without pay.
Speaker 5: As the officers leave the court house, cheers from the crowd of fellow officers and law enforcements. In another show of all, fifty seven members of the Buffalo Emergency Response Team resigned, but they remain on the police force.
Speaker 18: Think about this for a second. Not only did the police department try to cover up what happened, not only did they try and lie about something that we all saw on camera, but once the truth got out and those cops were punished, the entire team resigned to protest those police being held accountable. In fact, they even showed up at the courthouse to cheer them on as they came out. What are you cheering that buffalo is finally safe from old men walking around in public? What are you cheering?
Speaker 2: What are you cheering?
Speaker 18: The fact that you've come out, the fact that you said like, it's a scary thing to think about. What are they cheering for? And something I think people need to understand about the police is that in a way, they have the same code that a gang does in that above all, you are loyal to your crew. That is a culture that is within every police department, and that's the heart of this issue. If good police are willing to look the other way or even join in when the bad police abuse their powers, you can make new rules and regulations all you want, but it won't matter. America is not going to be able to fix this problem until we have police whose first priority is protecting and serving the people instead of protecting and serving themselves.
Speaker 8: Are in DC. It's an exciting day. Almost half the adults in our country are asking for a do over. I suppose if you bought all of these flags all of these garments.
Speaker 15: You gotta do something like this. I mean they've been.
Speaker 8: Prepping for this, at least startorially for years.
Speaker 15: Tell me about your what's on your back h Q flag flag? Thy people? QQ is somebody who just helped wake us up? Yees.
Speaker 8: It makes you ask questions, It makes all of us asked questions. Is like, why would people believe in this conspiracy that a twelve year old the Basement put on the internet and now it's affecting our country?
Speaker 15: People can think.
Speaker 19: Whatever Joseph Biden and Cammu Law your buddy Kamu Law Harris are not legitimate. You know what I think this is? This is a gang rate of our nation. We are watching our country be gang rate.
Speaker 17: Like look at your heart.
Speaker 15: Okay, it's not a joke. Look, you make a good point, but you are you are you not?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 15: A onesie? That is a flag?
Speaker 9: So it does give you like because I'm about what I represent here?
Speaker 15: Yeah, how'd you get your bike in over here?
Speaker 8: What kind of bike best works for a futile attempt to thward democracy?
Speaker 15: Like a crosscheck situation?
Speaker 18: That's that's just a weird question.
Speaker 8: I don't The revolution will not be televised. They will also not be providing chairs, so bring your.
Speaker 27: Own chairs up there for everybody.
Speaker 15: Great, thanks Pilatan chair planning ahead.
Speaker 10: People are mad about it, and it came here to make a statement.
Speaker 2: I want to read it.
Speaker 15: You want to redo, I want to redo.
Speaker 8: The good news is the Constitution has set aside a way to do a redo, and that's we'll just come back and do it again in four years.
Speaker 19: I don't.
Speaker 7: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus. This has been a Comedy Central podcast now