Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Time now for Fantasy Football Weekly from iHeartRadio, your weekly source for the nation's best fantasy football advice, speculation, and whatever stupid stuff they decided to drop into the show. Now, here's your host, Paul Charchion.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly. I'm Paul Charchian, joining me this week co host.
Speaker 3: Thor nystro Hey, buddy, it's time to talk rookies again.
Speaker 4: I can't wait.
Speaker 5: And we're so close to the season. Now you can start to smell the tailgate.
Speaker 3: We're so close. Oh God, can't wait.
Speaker 1: We're just weeks away, like two and a half weeks away from training camps.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's gonna be fantastic.
Speaker 1: And you and I have already tucked rookies more around the draft, but it's time to circle back.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: You've spent more time with these guys. I've spent more time with them. We've had a chance to look at guys in OTA's and mini camps, and we want to talk about some.
Speaker 3: Of the deep sleepers. Right. We we know about the obvious guys. We want to drill deeper.
Speaker 1: And you weren't yet on the show at this time last year, Thor. But it had you been on this show, you'd have been talking up pookin Akua, because when you did get on the show.
Speaker 3: In August, you were talking to Pooka Nakula.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, banging the drum. We're gonna bang the drum for some guys today. I can't promise that they'll become Pooka Nakula, but they are guys that to be monitoring that could fit, you know, yeah, jumping off really quickly.
Speaker 1: There almost can't be another Pookinakua. That's I mean, you could go a lot, you go ten years and there's just not another rookie fifth rounder who does what he did last year for sure.
Speaker 3: And that's not your fault. That's just like the math.
Speaker 5: Yeah right, yeah, I mean like almost a once in a lifetime think you're not going to get a Day three guy shattering all the NFL records again as a rookie. But I think we got some guys in here we can point people to where they can get really really good values on them because they're being overlooked in fantasy drafts right now.
Speaker 1: So going through your list of guys everybody were going to talk about in rookie drafts are going at least at eighty P eighteen or higher. Most of these guys are going in the twenties and thirties or even forties of rookie drafts. Rookie drafts correct, So these are all deep. These are deep, right, right, So we're not expecting every one of these guys to hit. And also, these guys all have warts, right, I mean, if they didn't have any warts, they wouldn't be at you know, eighty, you know, the rookie ADP wouldn't be thirty five thou right, So you know, keep it, you know, keep that in mind as we're talking through this. We'll we'll talk about some of the good and bad for all of these guys, and we'll do it by position or let's beget a quarterback. It goes without saying for anybody who allowed here for the last year, JJ McCarthy his rookie ADP is eighteen. So this is the most highly ranked of anybody we're gonna talk about in this set.
Speaker 5: The only first round that we're going to. But of course, you know, again I had to sneak the man, you.
Speaker 1: Know, any chance to talk about jjmrect But let me set the Let me set the table this way. Almost everything we're hearing out of the Vikings from both externally that they're saying openly to the media and everything i'm hearing back channel, everything that is being discussed in the media. They all say the Vikings are going to take their time on JJ McCarthy. And there's a very real scenario where Sam Darnold, now surrounded by the best talent of his life, has a long runway here. So talk to me about what you if a do you disagree with any of that, because you're welcome to and there could be a lot of smoke screen here and it could be the JJ McCarthy just too good to leave on the bench. What how if you were to if I were to put a weak number on when JJ McCarthy starts this year, if at all, what do you.
Speaker 4: Think before the midway point of the season.
Speaker 3: Okay, they got a buy in week six, I'll mention that.
Speaker 4: But I think it could be right around then.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's where I put it on your good you know, And they're the way that they're conveying this to the public gets the right way. You're being deferential to a veteran, but also a veteran who is literal real life friends with the quarterback coach is very they played together with the Jets, very friendly with the head coach, and they brought him in. You know, they sold him on this idea, Darnold I'm talking about of you know, revitalizing his career, et cetera. I would expect him to get that first opportunity, but I don't think it's the lock that other people do that McCarthy doesn't. You know, either start week one or shortly thereafter, you need to get the if you're the Vikings, you need to get the referendum on JJ McCarthy this coming season. You need to know if he's the answer for a year two. So he going to be starting for at least half that season. I think a little bit more than that, and I think that they're going to give him at least a shot in camp right now. They're modulating his footwork into longer throws and then the throws down the sideline. Something we talked about during the pre draft process about how JJ loves to come over the top with that exaggerated lead step. The kids got a bazooka, but a lot of the throws they're bullet type throws like that down when you're going down the field, you want to deduct some of the velocity for trajectory, arch, touch, et cetera. That's what they're working on him with right now. How quickly will that take? Will that take by mid August late August to give him a shot early in the season to potentially see the field or do they want to go a little bit slower. But either way, I think we're gonna see JJ out there quick.
Speaker 1: Viking schedule is opening schedule before that Week six spy, It's it's pretty darn tough and that could factor into this. If the Vikings are looking at one in five rolling into that buy, that might.
Speaker 3: Be it, right.
Speaker 4: I think that would be it, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: And with McCarthy, we talked about this around the draft of you have the best supporting cast of certainly any quarterback that got taken in this class. Some people think it's the best of the past twenty five years of a first round rookie going in there. You have that, but with McCarthy you have the arm town as well. But I think the fantasy community is sleeping on the athleticism and the amount of value they could get from his legs. Sixth fastest three cone regardless of position at the NFL. Combine also ran a four four eight forty at Michigan. He would have run in the four fourth had he run he did run during the pre draft process. Didn't need to go in the top ten. But those legs will add value as well at the next level.
Speaker 1: And that's something nobody's really talking about, is JJ McCarthy is somebody that's gonna chip in twenty five thirty forty rushing yards per game, and that is that is possible for him. Kevin O'Connell doesn't have a history of calling designed quarterback runs and he obviously with Kirk Cousins you wouldn't do that, But weirdly, he also didn't do it with Josh Dobbs and that was like the only thing Josh Jobs could do was run, and O'Connell still.
Speaker 3: Didn't do it.
Speaker 1: So you know, I don't know where the running is going to settle in, but McCarthy's got.
Speaker 3: The ability to do that.
Speaker 1: Let me just mention the Vikings opening schedule here before the buye. They're a pick them against the Giants in Week one, and then it's all bad, bad news after that Niners. Week two Texans. I've got the Texans, as my AFC Super Bowl team tells you how I feel about them. Then they go at lambeau Field. Then they've got the Jets and the best maybe the best defense in the league, and then they go into their by. So if you know, even if they win that game against the Giants, the probability in the betting line would suggest this team's rolling into their Week six by at one and four.
Speaker 5: I think it would be JJ time at that point. And I totally agree with that breakdown as well. Also, you know what I mean, the kid just turned twenty one. He was twenty win Michigan won the national title. There's no reason to rush this and and I don't think the Vikings will. But I again like, I think he's going to be prove himself to be a better quarterback than Darnold.
Speaker 1: In short order, give me the deep dynasty pick that you've got a quarterback.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So we this year in the draft, we had of course, as everyone knows, we had the sixth goal right away, but then after that, after the sixth Bonnecks was taken, we didn't have another run. End of the first round, second round, third round, four or fourth round half.
Speaker 4: So there was this enormous weight.
Speaker 5: Once we got to the fifth round, the New Orleans Saints end up taking Spencer Rattler for dynasty owners, That's a guy that I would monitor. He's only behind car right now. And then nominally Jay Cayner. Spencer Ratler is a better quarterback than Jay Cayner. Spencer Ratler people might forget. He was the top quarterback in his recruiting class coming out and the first hand picked high school quarterback that it ever started for Lincoln Riley. As a red shirt freshman at Oklahoma, Spencer Rattler was absolutely incredible. People were putting him as like the two early mocks, as the number one pick in the draft.
Speaker 4: The next year was when Kayleb Williams gets the town and the whole thing got blown up.
Speaker 5: Then Spencer Ratler transfers to South Carolina, where they had one of the worst pass blocking offensive lines in the entire country.
Speaker 3: It was unreal.
Speaker 1: I was trying to evaluate Spencer Rattler for the draft thor you can't find a clean pocket for him to just set up, And I'm just asking myself, what does Spencer Ratler do in a clean pocket. When he's setting up and he's throwing more than three yards downfield and there's like.
Speaker 3: No plays like that, the guy was just getting.
Speaker 4: Murdered back there thousand percent.
Speaker 5: Last time we saw it was during that red shirt freshman year in twenty twenty at Oklahoma. He was number four. Spencer Ratler was in the nation that year with a ninety two point five PFF grade, which is sick led the FBS and PFF big time throws under pressure and passing grade out of structure. That gets back to what hisar Rattler is similar ish in this regard to Bryce Young, a guy who likes the field spread back in shotgun so he can see the whole thing, and then he likes to maneuver around to buy a little time, change the launch angles and stuff like that. When you're moving around, but you have a terrible sieve of an offensive line that is immediately allowing pressure, your game is going to create, which it did for Ratler at the beginning of twenty twenty two. He figured it out the last three or four games of that season, ripped up Clemson, ripped up Notre Dame. He just had a great Tennessee great under the season, and then this year the offensive line is still stunk. Most of their guys had transferred out, Marshawn Lloyd had transferred out. They guys go to the NFL. Juice Wells gets hurt. He only had Xavier Legett there. It was Xavier Lagat and pray for rain At helth Carolina. But he played a lot better this year and going to the NFL, he's finally going to be playing behind a competent offensive line. I think that's where you could see Spencer Ratler's pocket passing talent start to coalesce again.
Speaker 1: All right, so he's he's only behind Derek Carr with the Saints. It's not, you know, Derek carrs doesn't exactly electrify anybody, you know. I would it surprise me if Spencer Rattler is the starter next year.
Speaker 4: No, No, not at all. And you think about this coming season.
Speaker 5: If Rattler indeed does beat out Jake Canner, which I think is well with likely Yeah, and then the Saints have a disappointing season, you might want to be getting a look there at Ratler at the end of the season, even if car doesn't end up getting hurt.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll have to move a little more quickly through the rest of our list, but let's go to running backs.
Speaker 3: Marshawn Lloyd.
Speaker 1: If slots into Green Bay, obviously he's gonna He's got a battle for time with Josh Jacobs. He's the USC kid via South Carolina. As you mentioned, strong, a little on the short side, but he runs upright, making him, I think, feel taller than he actually measured at the combine.
Speaker 3: I worry a little bit about.
Speaker 1: Whether or not he's got NFL speed, but I like the power side of Marshawn Lloyd's game. Talk to me a little bit about him and why you think he's a good sleeper candidate.
Speaker 5: When he first got taken by the Packers, I hated the landing spot, of course, and it sort of threw some cold water on it for me, even though I love the prospect. But thinking about it more and then hearing from people around the Packers, I think Lloyd is going to be nipping at Jacobs's heels real quick. Jacob's contract so he got four years, forty eight million dollars.
Speaker 4: What it actually is is a two year, twenty three point six million.
Speaker 3: Dollars, but that's still good running back money.
Speaker 4: Still solid running back money.
Speaker 5: But the Packers are going to be out of that thing after next season, after the twenty twenty five season, and you talk about not having incentive. Potentially you play the better running back who is younger, if you know you're gonna cut Jacobs the end of that year, that's where I think for sure Lloyd ends up bypassing him. I love Lloyd's talent. Jacobs last year, the way that he looked out there coming off that three hundred plus touch season that he'd had the year before. We have numbers on this going back years and years and years, and Jacobs appeared to depreciate a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, last year, he didn't looked like the prior guy. We may find out that he was playing her or whatever, or just the totality of the Adrian O'Connell offense was not good and we had you know, there was even worse quarterbacking than that at various times throughout the year for Josh Jacobs.
Speaker 3: So you can make an excuse. Can you can think that.
Speaker 1: Josh Jacobs has the right to get better on a way better offense, And I think that's probably the case, but maybe again a little bit like Spencer Rallert next year, who's your starter?
Speaker 5: That's it for Dynasty guys in particular, especially because Lloyd is going at a discomb because of that situation. Right, but AJ Dillon can be cut at any time, was.
Speaker 4: Given very I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't even think. Yeah, I think he could.
Speaker 5: Cut this preseason, absolutely yeah, with no pain for the Packers. So you can already consider Lloyd RB two with a bullet And again, Jacob's only on that two year deal. Other thing I'd say is I think Lloyd is a better early down runner than Josh Jacobs. I think we're Jacobs. It could become some sort of a time split distribution, with Lloyd getting a lot more of those early down type lie around the goal line, short yardage, et cetera. Initially at Jacobs of course is gonna be on the field for all the passing downs. He skilled it that, but that's something to keep an eye on as a rookie as well.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go to Kamani Videll. He lands at the Chargers intriguing spot. This is the kid from Troy. Not many of us were watching Troy football, but they brought in Gus Edwards and JK. Dobbins, who who followed Greg Roman from Baltimore over here. Roman, you know, had been the long time offensive coordinated there prior.
Speaker 3: To last year. He's an interesting guy. I like to burst.
Speaker 1: He's a good three down back. He's got better hands than any other back on the Chargers roster, and he's a good pass protector. Bidell could end up being for a factor in the passing.
Speaker 3: Game like Week one. He could be somebody who gets on the field.
Speaker 5: That way one thousand percent. Jim Harbaugh, everybody knows his offense. The ethos is you run on the early downs and then on third down either you have to get the conversions you mentioned. Vedell was the best pass blocking back in this class, so that is the passing down stuff. I do think he's going to be on the field on passing downs as a rookie. I also think he has a decent shot to upset the two veterans ahead of them, who also are not being given much. That Chargers don't have a lot invested in those guys, Vdell. What happened with the Chargers, They were certainly monitoring Blake Korum during the draft ends up getting taken by the other Los Angeles team across town. Vedell is about as close as an animal gam for quorum as you could get. They're about in the same physical package, but Vedell is more athletic, was a ninetieth percentile athlete during the pre draft process, also finished number two last season in the NCAA and broken tackles, broken tackles.
Speaker 4: Force excuse me.
Speaker 5: He is very, very tough to square up, and he runs like a bullet. It's just straightforward, hard charging. He packs a lot more power into that condensed bowling ball frame.
Speaker 4: I think then it sort of sneaks up on defenders.
Speaker 1: I loved both Gus Edwards and JK. Dobbins prior to their ACLS. They both, to me looked really, really good, and it's it's really sad that the ACLS appeared to have sapped the careers out of both of those guys.
Speaker 3: Yes, but you know, but that's the nature of this game.
Speaker 1: And Videl's got a chance to make an impact and pass those guys on the depth chart, perhaps as early again as week one. Absolutely, let's go to audric estime. He lands in Denver, a spot I do not like in this and what we're gonna end up talking about. Unfortunately, because I'm a big Julia McLoughlin guy, I love him and so I really I don't want to hear about how great estimate is that he may end up passing Jaliel because that's kind of my that's kind of my guy.
Speaker 3: But let's talk about the Notre Dame back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, someone who doesn't like someone a Broncos running back as Sean Payton doesn't appear to like Javonte Williams.
Speaker 3: And I didn't either. I thought he was bad last year.
Speaker 5: So Jalil certainly is going to be on the field, but he can't be on the field always, right.
Speaker 4: There's size limitations.
Speaker 5: Right there, and they're not a workhorse back. There's certain things that are outside of his skill set as well. Odric Estimate is not competing against Jalio. He is coming against Javonte Walliams. That that is a guy that he can beat, and then if that ends up happening, you get some of the early downlooks, certainly the short yarded stuff end around the goal line. Estimate is a sledgehammer of a running back. Is six feet tall, two hundred and twenty one pounds, runs with a ton of oomf and power runs over guys. And he was only twenty years old when he got drafted. These the one thing he lacks, it's the long speed. You know, around four to seven or high four to six is type speed. But what he can do again is grind out those yards every single time. It's like a Lee Ray Horde thing. You need one year to get you three years. You need five yards to get you three years.
Speaker 4: That is utteric esime in the NFL.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go to Tyrone Tracy, who lands in a good spot with the Giants. Really not a lot of competition there. Singletary's there is the presumed starter. The Purdue kid is a converted wide receiver. He's a kick returner. He's got this long, loping stride that you don't normally see in running backs. And I don't love that part. And he's got that slight build. But man, you get him an open space and he looks really good. Well, everybody looks good and open space, But tell me your thoughts on Tyrone Tracy here.
Speaker 5: Well, when he gets out into that open space, he had the ninety eight percentile. He's got all the wheels in the world four four eight during the pre draft process. The other thing with him, he had more feel for running than I would certainly have given him credit for or thought was possible after he had converted to running back after unfortunately playing four years at receiver at the University of Iowa, which.
Speaker 3: Doesn't give you a lot of volume.
Speaker 5: No, and he was obviously frustrated by both you know, the amount of targets he was getting and then also the development he was getting there. But he found his destiny going to produce switching to running back. Last year's Purdue team was absolutely awful, and teams, especially the passing game teams were able to load up against the run. Despite that, Tyrone Tracy one hundred and sixty three point five elusive rating four point four to four yards after contact per attempt. Both of those were the highest of any of my top thirty ranked running backs in the last class. Wow, and Tracy can get out into space. And this is for people out there that play in leagues where they count kickoff return stats at lower touchdowns. Another reason to maybe bump Tracy up a little bit in your rankings. I think he is going to take over as the kick returner there right away, you have the new rules.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: What I like about his running style, I mean this is the running style thing that goes back into the kickoffs he had, Like I said, has the decent feel, runs with the wide base and he can slash over, you know, sort of bouncy, make people miss the first guy off the cut, and then he finds his open crease. That's where you see Tyrone. Tracy hit the burners. Only Devin Singletary really ahead of him. I don't think much of Eric Gray. I think Tracy goes in as RB two. It's a team that might be. They're amid a rebuild right now. They don't have a ton of loyalty to Singletary who just came in. I think Tracy again nipping at his heels early on, and if Singletary gets hurt, I think Tracy becomes the RB one.
Speaker 1: There your deep dynasty guy, somebody. I really haven't spent much time with Dylan Lowby. Dylan Lowby lands in Las Vegas.
Speaker 4: Where do he play again? Remind me he played at New Hampshire and yah.
Speaker 3: That's why I did not see a lot of Dylan Lowby.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, yeah, he was up there in the FCS.
Speaker 5: But the thing that he is really really good at it's catching the ball. And right now, the Raiders at running back, you have Samir White. He is a grinder. Yeah, sort of just the guy, but he's a grinder. Alexander Madison stings. I'm sorry, mister Madison, if you're out there, I think Lowby takes over right away as that team's passing down back. Samir White for sure is going to have the early downstuff and you're gonna give him all the handoffs and whatnot. But you need to have Dylan Lobby on the field on passing downs. He's really, really, really skilled at that.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so PPR League Dylan Lobby as somebody that you can you can throw throw a dart at at with a last pick of your Dynasty draft. I like Ray Davis, you and I disagree on him, the kid from Louisville. You and I've talked about him way back shortly after the draft, as I recall what you were talking about with Ray Davis and who landed in Buffalo. Kid from you Louisville. Was you like that he can do everything? You feel like he does everything? Okay, but he's not special in anything, and you have to have some special traits to succeed in the NFL.
Speaker 3: I think he's really good at everything.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I think he's like an eight out of ten at everything. He's just not a nine or a ten.
Speaker 3: And I think there's going to.
Speaker 1: Be a role for Ray Davis to play, and perhaps at the goal line, because James Cook is really he's not a power back, and Ray Davis can.
Speaker 3: He can really give you some oomph. And I like this kid and well and.
Speaker 1: Buffalo is just based on the wide receivers, they're going to have to do more with their running backs than they did last year.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, yeah, and that is a role that I could see him taking over pretty early. On My nitpick with Davis was more the lack of ceiling and at that position in the draft, I would be swinging for the fences every single time. But to your point, Thank he's solid to good at almost every metric that you would look at running back play. It's just you don't have this special athleticism, you don't have some of.
Speaker 4: The special trades.
Speaker 5: But for a guy what they're looking for behind Cook, I think he could absolutely fit the bill this year.
Speaker 1: Let's take a break through and we come back. Let's talk about some of your favorite rookie sleepers at the wide receiver and tight end position. Welcome back Fantasy Football Weekly. Paul Charchie and Thorn Eistrom with you, Thor. We can follow you on Twitter at thor Ku. I am at Paul Charchian. We have a fun new Discord channel. Check the show notes for a link to our Discord channel for Fantasy Football Weekly. Guarantine Leagues coming online soon.
Speaker 3: A lot going on behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: I'm super excited to talk to you about it when the time's right and show you some of the new stuff we've been working on in the off season. Very excited for that as well. Gullantine Leagues coming your way soon. Let's go to the wide receiver position, Thor. We've got some deep sleepers, beginning with Roman Wilson, currently going off the board in antasy drafts as pick number twenty one in Rookie Dynasty drafts. This is the kid from Michigan. There were things I liked about him. I liked the separation. I like that he finds cushion. I liked his route tree. I liked how many routes he ran over the.
Speaker 3: Middle of the field and could be effective in the middle of the field.
Speaker 1: It's a lot easier to play wide receiver when you don't have any defenders on one side of you, because that's the sideline. I like guys who can find separation in the middle of the field. There's a lot about Roman Wilson that I find pretty compelling, and he finds himself now with the Steelers and a team with a lot of need at receiver.
Speaker 5: A lot of need at receiver, and Roman Wilson going to be the starting slot from day one. He was the second that they turned that cart, and you know, to your point, you're looking at their depth. Charte, George Pickens and Van Jefferson and.
Speaker 3: Van Jefferson, I love.
Speaker 4: They have to put the.
Speaker 5: Ball in the air at some point, and I think Roman Wilson is going to command a lot of targets immediately. For a guy right now who in Rookie ADP is the twenty first rookie going off the board, I just think that that's a little cheap for him. I think he should be going a little bit above that. He's small, for sure, one hundred and eighty five pounds five to ten, but he's athletic eighty six percentile runs in the high four threes.
Speaker 4: And the thing with him is.
Speaker 5: Yes, the body is small, and that's why he has to play the slot. But the thing that I always point out with Roman Wilson, he had only two drops zero fumbles twenty twenty two, only one drop, zero fumbles last year as the wide receiver one for Michigan's undefeated team. And the reason to extrapolate this ford and think it has predictive value is well, Roman Wilson's body is small. His hands happened to be enormous. He has the They're bigger than Roman Dunesa's hands. Roman Wilson are one eighth of an inch smaller than Marvin Harrison's. They're the same size as Xavier la Get all these receivers that are bigger than him. Yeah, he doesn't flub balls. He's extremely reliable running the routes like you mentioned, And he's not one of those slots, for instance, like Malachi Corley, another rookie where you have to manufacture such as close to the line of scrimmage. Roman Wilson can win deep and did plenty for JJ McCarthy in that Michigan team.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's go to Jermaine from Alabama via Georgia where he was very lightly used, goes to Alabama, still kind of lightly used. He falls into Cincinnati. I see a very raw project, but I see an NFL level athlete in Jermaine Burton. I don't know that he has an impact this year, but with the T Higgins thing really on a timer, at this time next year, there.
Speaker 3: Is another one of those.
Speaker 1: At this time next year, Jermaine Burton could be a starting receiver for an offense led by Joe Burrow.
Speaker 3: Which is a pretty good spot to be in.
Speaker 5: For sure, it is and Jermaine Burton. This is going to come down to Jermaine Burton deciding he wants to be an above average NFL player or stay in the NFL for a while. The talent has never been an issue for Jermaine Burton. It's always been his attitude. And if he corrects that and that's different going forward, he will be a long term starter with the Bengals obviously a very advantageous passing environment there.
Speaker 4: Last year, Jermain Burton didn't get.
Speaker 5: To show off his all the skills that he has because he had a ludicrous twenty point two a dot that led this wide receiver class, which be because the quarterback he was playing with at Alabama, Jalen Millroe, a scrambler who then also just chucks the ball a mile. The accuracy of everything in between can come and go. But that's why Jermaine Burton was down the field so much. Earlier in his career. He showed he could win short make people miss, and then the intermediate range as well. So I think this guy potentially could win at all three levels in the NFL, certainly as the athleticism for it, will the attitude be there for Jermaine Burton.
Speaker 1: Luke McCaffrey is next on your list. You and I are going to disagree on Luke McCaffrey. I don't like him looking at you, and you've seen more of him than I have, just watching a couple of games of routes and and and passes his way. I don't like the size. I don't like how underpowered he is. I didn't see a lot of separation. I just think he needs more strength. I understand just reading up on him. The intangibles are phenomenal, and obviously he's in the McCaffrey family, So you know that's family. The DNA is good, but I didn't love the production. And you know, and Rice, I don't even know how much I can gage. The last notable player to come from Rice is Tommy Kramer. Right, talk to me about Luke McCaffrey and tell me why I'm ron.
Speaker 5: Luke McCaffrey I think is a perfect fit for Washington, particularly because of the game of their first pick, Jalen Daniels, where he loves to throw the ball.
Speaker 4: Down the field, Yes, including to the slot.
Speaker 5: Now, I think McCaffrey could play either inside or outside at the next level. He played seventy percent of his snaps in the slot. Well at Rice thirty percent on the outside. But the reason for that was Number One, Luke McCaffrey just started playing the wide receiver position two years ago after busting as a dual threat quarterback earlier in his career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the G.
Speaker 5: Five programs a lot of times will put their best receiver closer to the quarterback make it easier on them. But McCaffrey is tremendous down the field. Tremendous is getting down the field and then the contested situations down there. Seventeen of twenty eight last year, only three drops on one hundred and twenty targets in twenty twenty three. That guy catches all these balls in tight quarters between two defenders, a defender descending down on him, catches the ball, gets smacked, his helmet pops off. Whether that's playing the slot which jalen last year, Jayden and Daniels throwing downtown to Molik neighbors all the time, or on the other side of McLaren depending on what happens with Johan dottson there. McCaffrey can win down the field. I also think you're going to see more of progression from him as a route runner, certainly in the intermediate range.
Speaker 4: Again, keep in mind he only.
Speaker 5: Played those two years of a receiver after switching over the one other thing to keep in mind with McCaffrey vs. AV his fantasy value the next level the former dual threat quarterback thing. He can do trick plays, and Rice had a whole lot of fun with him on ender rounds and gadget plays. McCaffrey ended up breaking twenty five tackles over the last two years, did not fumble the ball one time. You're going to see him used by Washington on some trick plays, all right, Javon Baker.
Speaker 1: Right after the draft, when we looked at the Patriots draft, they took Jalen Polk in the second round and then they took Baker in the fourth round. And like the day after the draft, you're on this show saying I like Baker, yeah, more than I like Polk. You're happy to see land in this spot. And I think Drake May's gonna be great. Uh, talk to me about the kid from Central Florida via Alabama.
Speaker 5: I would pick him over Polk, And for me, it wouldn't be much of a you know thought there. I think Baker assents to the top of their wide receiver room very quickly. Speaking of good fits with with particular quarterbacks, the thing that Drake made is best at is flinging bombs down the field. Last year, Javon Baker was the only guy that was beneath Jermaine Burton and a dott seventeen point one, a dot h just assassin downfield at UCF was Javon Baker attacks the ball in the air, latches onto that thing. He can get jarred and he's still going to come down with the ball. Twenty of thirty six and contested scenarios the last two years for Burton or I'm sorry for Javon Baker. He's also very good after the catch, breaks tackles.
Speaker 4: He is elusive.
Speaker 5: The one thing he needs to clean up his concentration drops drops with a little over front. Yeah, yeah, that's the one thing. But if he can clean those concentration drops up, and he has great hands, so it is this is a concentration issue. If he cleans that up, like I said, I think he has sends very quickly to the top of that depth Shart.
Speaker 1: All right, that's Javon Baker. You're deep sleeper at wide receiver. Malik Davis from Virginia finds himself from Miami. Obviously that's a that's a pretty stacked depth chart. But that doesn't mean we don't like the kid. What do you what do you like about Milk Washington?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so with him, Miami of course has the awesome two receivers at the top, but they've been looking for ancillary receiving options when they have three wide receivers on the field. I think you were going to see Melik Washington in the slot last year in Virginia. He blew up doing that. Thirty five broken tackles for Malik Washington last year. That was five more than the next highest finisher in this class, which was a guy named Melik Neighbors. So Washington brings the ball in and then he has this short compact, just sort of muscle hamster type frame to him. He is not afraid to catch the ball middle of the field, has eighty nine percentile athleticism. But then he's got the acceleration and will run through arm tape, arm tackles, off angle attempts and stuff like that. Pile up the broken tackles.
Speaker 1: All right, that's Malik Washington. Now we go to tight end. There's a player that you talked about going into the draft. You and I talked about him right after the draft, and the landing spot is very encouraging. Iowa tight end Eric All, who finds himself in Cincinnati, and we.
Speaker 3: Love his quarterback.
Speaker 1: We love the fact that he might right now be the best tight end on roster and could start in very short order. Talk to me about Eric All, the kid he transferred from Michigan, went to Iowa for a.
Speaker 3: Year, so he got the Iowa tight.
Speaker 1: End treatment, if only for a year thor and now he's got this nice opportunity.
Speaker 5: I think he bypasses Mike Kiseki for t one the gig as a rookie. Eric All tremendous athlete. He has size, speed and feet. Wasn't able to test during the pre draft process because he tore his ACL at Iowa in October, but he would have been running in the high four fours or low four fives, which would have put him number two among testers at his position group. The thing you like about him is the ball skills in conjunction with that athleticism, and then he can end up running. He was destructive for Iowa when he was on the field. He was number one among all FBS tight ends in yards per route run prior to tearing that ECO. That was on that abomination of an Iowa passing offense, which I can say because I went to Iowa wasn't fun to watch. But All ended up leading the Hawkeys in receiving last year despite playing in less than half of the games. He has been the pass catching tight end Joe Burrow has been crying out for, and I think he's gonna be on the field and solidify that job.
Speaker 4: Carrie going forward in very short order.
Speaker 1: Eric Hall going off the board in Rookie Drafts, Rookie Dynasty Drafts, Pick forty seven.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's way too low for way too low, especially in a tight end class where there's just not many other guys like he is the guy who could.
Speaker 4: Blow up and become a star.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well Flowers, Yeah, well not Bowers, but yes, after that, Bowers is in his own file.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then it really yeah, you know, we're talking about Senate and Eric all pretty much those are the two guys at Target.
Speaker 1: Great job, Thor, Thank you appreciate it. This has been a ton of fun. We love the deep sleepers. Some of these guys are gonna hit you'll. I don't know if you've heard it here first, but you will have heard Thor bang in the drum for all of these guys. Thanks for listening to Fantasy Football Weekly.
Speaker 3: We'll be back next week.
Speaker 1: Fantasy Football Weekly is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.