Speaker 1: Is this a great game for what with Tim and Jeff Kirkshin It is our spring training addition, And Dad, we are back in the basement of my house in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: Thank goodness too.
Speaker 1: I missed being this close to you while recording the podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy I'm this close to you, Jeff, because we've had some technical issues and when I'm two hundred miles away from you, it terrifies me. But I am really excited about spring training, Jeff. Yeah. And of course our guest today is Joe Madden.
Speaker 1: Dad, when we talked about doing a spring training special episode, the first guy that came to mind for you was Joe Madden because he's a longtime MLB manager, Right, he was a minor league baseball player, and he just has an approach to the clubhouse.
Speaker 2: It's so fitting for a spring training episode.
Speaker 3: Right, And that's why spring training is so great? Is it so different than the regular season. It's not important how many games you win in spring training. It's just a matter of getting your team ready to go. So this is my forty fifth spring training and one of the rights of passages, I get my baseball writer's car and I just received it. Yesterday. Let me see, I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: This is fancy. So you get a new one of these every single.
Speaker 3: Year, every year. So I've been a base I've been in the Baseball Writer for forty five years. And what number am I down to?
Speaker 2: I was gonna say twenty two?
Speaker 3: Yes, when I first started, Jeff, I was number eight hundred and eighty one, stop it, yes, And now I'm down to twenty two. So that means only twenty one people out there have been doing this longer than I have, like continuously and still have a Baseball Writer card today. Ross Newhan of the La Times, I believe, is still number one. You know, Dan Shaughnessy, Jason Stark, Peter Gammon three, and my mentors. They're all ahead of me. But twenty two is pretty good. So a few years ago, maybe ten years ago, Mark Trumbo and Peter Borges, who were both on the Angels, I'm not sure exactly what year is not important, they really got interested in everybody's number on their card. So they saw me in the clubhouse one day and they came up to me and said, can we look at your card? And I was down to like fifty eight, and they went boy, that is really low. I've never seen a baseball player who had any interest whatsoever in anybody's number on their baseball writer's card. But it means something to me because to go from eight eighty one down to twenty two is really good.
Speaker 1: Forty five years of covering spring training, and as.
Speaker 2: A kid growing up, this was like always.
Speaker 1: Our spring break trip as we would either end up in Florida or Arizona because we could kill two birds with one stone. We could be with dad during a very busy time in your career, in your job, but also we get to enjoy some really awesome places. So forty five spring trainings nineteen.
Speaker 3: Eighty By the way, I had nothing to do with this, but just to show you how things have changed, the Oakland A's had one hundred different players in camp. One hundred. So there was a guy named Scott Meyer who was a non roster catcher. He wore number one hundred in spring training. I've never seen anyone with a three digit number before or after, because now if you have too many, you'll maybe be over one hundred. Some guys are like eighty seven A and eighty seven B, which we've made the joke when you're eighty seven. B You're not even the best number eighty seven, you know, But I really target nineteen eighty two because that was my first year is a full time, full time brand guy. And as I've told you, Jeff, everything changes when you're the number one beat guy from your newspaper, like all the responsibility is on you. So eighty two, I'm covering the Texas Rangers for the Dallas Morning News, and I'm sure I told you the story, Jeff. But three weeks into spring training, Mickey Rivers, the hilarious center fielder for the Rangers who's making four hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year, comes up to me in spring training. I've known him for three weeks and he goes, Tim, can you loan me two thousand dollars? I said, Mick, I'm making twelve thousand dollars a year. I don't have two thousand dollars to my name. So Buddy Bell, who was the star of the team, he whispered to me later he said, look, everyone loves Mick, but don't ever loan him any money because you'll never get the money back. Also, Jeff, back then and things have changed so much, in Pompino Beach. They had Municipal Stadium, which was a dinky, little rickety little tiny little ballpark, and they had a half field right next to it. And that was the extent of Major League spring training for the Texas Rangers. They had one full sized field and then a half field. That's all they had. Now you look at these spring training facilities, you know, they're all shared, they're all brand new. Mean, you get like nine diamonds to yourself in spring training. It's unbelievable how work actually got done back then because there were so little, there were so few, you know, facilities, fields, everything else, batting cages, everything else.
Speaker 2: Well, you look at like the Phillies in clear Water. It's just unbelievable the amount of space they have, the amount of fields, right, it's incredible.
Speaker 3: It's a perfect example. So Ron Darling broadcasting now with the Mets, used to play with the Rangers in eighty two. They traded him at the end of the eighty two spring training, one of the worst trades in Major League history. Not the point, so Ron recently told me that they would get their running in by running like through the trees and everything else. And he said, he said, we all found a short cut where you can cut through and everyone thinks you've run a by two miles. And he said, sometimes we would just sit on a bench and rest because we knew we're way ahead because we took a shortcut. That's how things worked at eighty two and a little bit later. A little off the topic, but Sid Fernandez was a picture for the Mets in the eighties and they had just opened a new facility in Port Saint Lucie where the Mets still trained today. And now it's gigantic, sprawling, it's beautiful, But back then it was built like in the middle of a swamp, in the middle of the woods, and the players had to do their running like through the woods, like through a path through the woods. And one day Sid Fernandez ran into a warthog who chased him out of the woods. And he comes screaming out of the woods, like terrified, there is a monster in there because a warthog had chased him out of the woods.
Speaker 2: Do you know what the warthog's name was?
Speaker 3: Is this buddy?
Speaker 2: Timowon with it? Boomba, you are a.
Speaker 3: Pig, Tom Boomba. Watch that movie A million times million you It was great. All right, eighty four. I loved it. It was so good. Mitch Williams first spring training in Major league camp. He was with the Rangers, and he's the wildest pitcher of all time. Mitch Williams gave up more walks than hits aloud in his career. Think about that for a second. No picture with that many innings, says, ever come close to allowing more walks than hits aloud. So that first spring training Mitch Williams is pitching to the veterans and he he strows so hard, but he's so wild everyone's afraid to face him. One pitch, it missed the cage and it hit the tire that you roll the cage up. It hit the tire and went like one hundred feet in the air. Then he hit Alan Banister right in the middle of the back. This is his teammate, of course, And Buddy Bell and Larry Parris said, I'm not doing We're not batting. We're not batting against him. He's not ready to pitch major league batting practice. So they they quit. They said, we're not hitting against him. He's going to kill us. So I asked Mitch about it later and Mitch said, yeah, I think that was the right move. I really didn't want to kill one of my teammates in my first major league camp. Good call. Mitch, by the way, had a brother named Bruce, and Mitch Klay and Bruce pitched professionally, not in the big leagues, but professionally, and Bruce apparently threw harder and was wilder than Mitch Williams, if it's possible. So, as Mitch one soldby said, we'd go outside like we were like teenagers, fourteen, fifteen, sixty years old, and we play catch at the front yard, me and my brother Bruce, and he said, and mothers would come running out of their house screaming at their little children. Get off the street. The Williams boys are playing catch. So just to show you how, just to show you how unimportant wins and losses are. In spring training, I think it was eighty four, it's not important which year. But Paul Splittorff, who's a wonderful man and a really good pitcher, was at his the end of his career with the Kansas City Royals and the Rangers. My team are playing the Royals in a game late in spring training, and Paul splid Orf is pitching to make the club, even though he's a veteran's he's on his last leg. So Larry Parrish tells his teammates, here's what we should do. We should all make outs on purpose. That way, it'll make Paul Splittorff look really good. Then he'll make the team and we face them the first week of the season, so we'll get to face him in a game that actually matters. So let's do that, and then we'll light him up when the regular season begins. So when people say, oh, gosh, they lost another spring training game, people don't care if you lose a spring training game. You're there not for that, You're there for other things. The rules are also so lax in spring training, Jeff. At least they used to be. You know, you could get tickets to games and people didn't even check you coming in. So one year, this is eighty nine. I want to say I left tickets for a family friend. Ron Petrello, still a friend. I haven't talked to him in a long time. But Ron was a big Pirates fan, and the Orioles were playing the Pirates in a game at RFK Stadium in Washington. It's the final exhibition game, so I leave tickets for Ron. He gets there and they don't have his tickets, and they're so embarrassed that they don't that they give him a pass much like my pass. They can get him on the field before the game. So he's down on thee. This is the guy who's supposed to be sitting in the stands, but he's got a pass where people are telling him you can go wherever you want with that. So he goes out on the field watching his favorite team, the Pirates, and then the game starts. This is an exhibition game, but the game begins and Ron Patrella is in the Pirates dugout. During the game, he's like sitting right next to Jim Leland and then looking at him and I said, Ron, didn't they know that you weren't supposed to be there? And he goes, well, no one even asked because it was so relaxed. He said, I think they thought I was like the son of one of the owners. So he watched an entire exhibition game from the Pirates dugout and he loves the Pirates. So I write this in the paper the next day at the Baltimore Sun because I'm the Orioles beat writer. So it goes in Oriole notes this little bright, funny thing about Ron Petrella. So Ron goes the next day to the real opening day, the real game at Memorial Stadium, and he's sitting next to the guy and the guy says, did you see that story of the paper today about that guy who got to spend the entire game in the dugout? And Ron said, yes, that was me.
Speaker 1: I always say ignorance is bliss when it comes to this, Like you remember that time we were at the the American Girl Doll Store. Oh yeah, yeah, So we were shopping in the I believe it was Atlantago, Chicago. We're in Chicago and it's in the mall. Big glass windows separate the mall from the American Girl Doll Store. And Dad, with my cousins, his nieces, they're all shopping, I mean hundreds and hundreds of dollars of stuff, and Dad doesn't realize where the store ends and where the mall begins. So here they are getting their American Girl doll's hair done, and.
Speaker 2: We look out on the outside of the windows.
Speaker 1: We see Dad in the mall with thousands of dollars of American.
Speaker 2: Girl doll clothes and we're going.
Speaker 1: Keep backing here, you're shoplifting, and he's like, what, what was it?
Speaker 3: Eleven hundred dollars worth of American girl stuff in my bag and he did not know we had not paid for.
Speaker 1: It, And that's how he got in the dugout. Because if you don't know you're doing something wrong, then you're usually innocent on it.
Speaker 3: Good point, Jeff, So, Jeff again, spring training is so great just because it's so different long bus rides, especially in Florida. So one of my favorite stories is Brian Anderson used to play for the Indians, now broadcaster for the Tampa Bay Rays. Brian's one of the funniest people in the world. But he's taking a trip from winter Haven to Vero Beach. It's like a three hour ride, and he gets about an hour into it and realizes he forgot his spikes, his hat, and his glove. Now back in winter Haven, all right, Back then, you know, you can't just turn around, and they don't bring equipment bags with all sorts of extra stuff. So Brian Anderson told me, in full uniform, as soon as he got to Vero Beach he had to get in a car and drive to go buy the equipment that he didn't have. So he went into a Walmart in full uniform and said, well, it's a Walmart. They have everything. They have tires, they have produce, they must have a baseball glove. So he went in there and bought a baseball glove at Walbart. It was enormous, he said, it was almost as big as Greg Maddox's gloves. Greg Maddox wore the biggest glove ever and maybe the greatest fielding pitcher ever. But Brian Anderson said, yeah, I pitched five innings and no surprise, I got five comebackers in a game wearing a glove that costs twenty eight dollars that I bought at the Walbart like two hours earlier. This is what happens in spring training. And speaking of buses, years ago, you've asked me many times about my favorite nicknames in baseball. There was a Rockies pitcher named David and his nickname was Diesel, So I said, how did he get the name Diesel? So the Rockies were on a spring training trip and the bus driver got sick and he couldn't drive. So David Lee said I'll drive the bus. So now he's driving the entire team in the spring training bus, having never riven a bus before. And then they they're they're getting low on gas, so he pulls off and he announces to the entire team, we got to stop for Diesel. And that's how he got his name. That's how he got it, Diesel Lee. I'll never forget it, just for that alone. And Alex Corr, of course, the manager of the Boston Red Sox, he used to tell me that he said, I was an I four guy, and I said, what does that mean? You know, this is years ago. I didn't know what that meant. He goes, oh, I took all the trips on I four in Florida, which, if you don't know, Jeff, the I four Highway in Florida like cuts all the way frough. It's the most crowded road in the history of roads. But if you're gonna take bus trips in Florida, you almost always have to go on the I four. And Alex core who for the most part, was not an everyday player, so he took the trips in order to give the everyday players a day off so they didn't have to go on this monstrous road trip. He said, I only had one rule. If I'm going to make a trip like that, I need four at bats when I get there, because I needed to make sure that I get my work in and it's worth me driving on I four all that time. So again, greatest spring training stories ever. And my favorite part, Jeff about spring training is you get to meet your new teammates for the first time. So I've told you about Michael Cadyer. Remember Michael Kadyer. You met him at the Coach's convention in January. What a great guy. So Michael Cadire is a magician, I mean literally a magician. He can do card tricks that I saw. Now I don't know anything about magic. I'm just telling you I watched what he did, and I could have watched a thousand times and not figured out what he did. So in spring training one year, Luis Castillo joins the Twins. Luis Castillo has never met Michael cadyr before, and now they're sitting right next to each other because that's where their lockers are. And Michael Cardire is the all time I'm best teammate. And when you asked, you know, the guys on the Twins used to say, what do I need to know here? And the manager and the coaches would say, Michael Kadire, just do what he does, act like him and you're gonna be fine. That's how great he was. But one day, Michael Kadyre does a card trick for Luis Castillo, and it is so unbelievably good that Luis Castillo was afraid of Michael Cadyre, like, how could you do that? Like it was like some you know, black magic view kind of thing, and it spooked him so badly that the next day when he came into spring training, he had moved his locker across the clubhouse because he didn't want to sit next to Michael Kadyre. And it spooked him that much. Yeah, and that's that's what can happen. So Michael Kadire also told me a story about Jeremy Guthrie, who's one of my favorite people. He used to ride his bike everywhere. Okay, he used to ride his bike to the ballpark during the regular season, but always in spring trading. So one day Jeremy Guthrie, pitching for the Rockies, pitches the game. Then he gets on his bicycle in full uniform, and according to Michael Kadire, he put his glove on the handlebars, just like we did, Jeff when we.
Speaker 2: Were kissing Sandlot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's exactly what Michael Kadyre said. It was like a scene out of the Cell. Guy pitched five innings in an exhibition game and then he drove his bike back to the facility in full uniform with his with his glove on the handlebars. I just I just love it. Gotta be careful with this one, Jeff. Okay. So, the same Twins team that Michael Kadyre was on, they got a new player from Japan. His name was Nishioka. Okay. So he comes to camp and everyone is going to try to get used to, you know, dealing with the guys from another country. They want to make him feel well.
Speaker 2: And was it a little less common at this time like today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so many Japanese players today and they all speak some form of English, but apparently Isoka didn't speak English. So they go to Dinard Span it's one of the best guys in the game, and they tell the Twins teammates tell Dinard Span, you need to go over and introduce yourself. To Nioka and welcome him to the team. So Dinard says, okay, I will, of course I want to welcome him to the team. So he goes over to the locker of the guy that he thinks is Okay, but it's not Nioka. Sodannart Span very respectfully says, my name is Denard Span I play center field for the Twins. I'm your new teammate. It is really nice to meet you. And he said, do you speak English? And the guy who he thought was in Ishioka's name was rach and Ray Chang goes, of course I speak English. I'm from Kansas City. So the entire clubhouse like burst into tears because they got that one all mixed up between Mishioka and ray Chang. I hope no one takes offense to that. Cann Now everyone in the room howled with laughter. But again, Jeff, the big difference in spring training is just how much more stuff there is to use. I mean, there are the equipment that we have that you know, measures launch angle and spin rate. It's it's absolutely amazing. And as rich Donnelly, who did a million spring trainings, did the Washington Senators in the late sixties when I was a Senators fan. Was with Yeah, was with the Rangers in eighty two when I first got there, so I got to know rich well. He just said, uh, you know, I just can't see Ted Williams in spring training running around with a parachute on his back, because that's what guys do every once in a while. And he said, I just can't see Babe Ruth jumping over a bunch of orange cones, which is what we do. To me. That just shows you how much spring training has changed. But the bottom line is, Jeff, spring training is still the best time of year, my favorite time of year. Nobody's lost any games yet. All the rookies look great, all the veterans look good. They haven't gotten hurt yet. Everyone's in a great mood. The weather's here, springs coming, warm weather. It's the greatest time ever. Whether it's Babe Ruth days or days today. I can't wait to get to spring.
Speaker 1: Training, Dad, those are great memories of spring training for you. I have a couple that I wrote down and I wanted to share. First of all, one of the first ones I really remember was being in Arizona when your alma mater, University of Maryland with.
Speaker 2: Steve Blake and Juan Dixon. Dixon was on that team.
Speaker 1: They won the national championship while we were in Arizona, and I remember watching.
Speaker 2: The game with you on like the time, Mom.
Speaker 3: And Kelly in our hotel room. Now, Pison made that amazing three with plenty of time left on the shot clock, broke the game wide open, and we won the national championships. So cool.
Speaker 1: This episode being recorded on President's Day to be released the day after President's Stay. And you've done a best of all tim for the President's team, right, All President's team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you could come up with a team that's better, bigger than mine. It's it's not that hard to do. The only rule is you have to use each president one president. You can't use like four Kennedy's or four Washingtons. You have to use it's done right, twenty five different names. So our catchers are Gary Carter, Hall of Famer and Russ Nixon loved that. Von Hayes and Reggie Jefferson are our first baseman. Got to have a Jefferson in there. The third baseman is John Kennedy, actually a third basically I remember him growing up named John Kennedy. So he's got first and last name. We love that. Ron Washington is the shortstop. He played on the Orioles when I covered them, and when Cal Ripkin's consecutive inning streak ended. It was ended when they put Ron Washington in the game in nineteen eighty seven in Toronto. I covered that game. That was the night that the Blue Jays hit ten homers in one game. No team's ever done that before or after. And in the eighth inning of that game, they took cal Ripkin out of the game in the eighth inning, which was an even bigger story because the consecutive inning streak, which had lasted three years, he didn't miss an inning for three years, that came to an end. Also, So Ron Washington is the shortstop. Outfield is Craig Munroe and Louke Clinton. Centerfielder is Willie Wilson. Outfielders are Michael Taylor and Brian Buchanan.
Speaker 2: Excellent job.
Speaker 3: Whitey Ford is our primary pitcher. Madison Bumgarner. I used all last names, but I made an exception because Madison Bumgarner is one of the great pictures of our era. By the way, James Madison, I believe was our shortest president, which I think he was. I'm sure he was shorter than me. And I was told, not like I know anything about presidential history, that he used to love to stand next to George Washington because George Washington made him feel bigger because he was standing next to George Washington, who was such a big man. It would make me feel smaller, right, But he felt the power of George Washington, so he loved hanging around with him. Lefty Tyler, Reggie Cleveland, great Babe Adams, ye two Adams of course, and mud cat Grant. And speaking of relievers, these are my two favorites, Pierce Johnson.
Speaker 1: Double double, Franklin Andrew Johnson or Lyndon Johnson and.
Speaker 3: Grant Jackson double wow and right, So that's that's important. JJ Hoover didn't pitch very long in the big leagues. Brad Lincoln. You cannot have an all presidential team without Lincoln. And let's see how well you remember who shares a birthday with Abraham Lincoln. He was one of our thirty five guests on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Todd Fraser, which I don't know why you brought that up on that episode, and you're fascinated by that, I think it's great.
Speaker 3: Herb score and ten years ago, you know, Todd Fraser played for the Eggs.
Speaker 2: Todd Fraser traded pins for twelve.
Speaker 3: Year old I love it right. Jermaine Van Buren is our last reliever, and even though this is not a president, he belongs on the all presidential team because I covered him. Lenn Whitehouse. What a perfect name for the last guy on our twenty five man presidential team.
Speaker 1: Dad, I'm really looking forward to because this is our spring training episode, and we've got an incredible manager, former manager Major League Baseball manager of Hazleton, Pennsylvania, Joe.
Speaker 3: Madden's gonna be joining, and Joe is gonna tell us a bunch of stories about what we were just talking about, Jeff, how different spring training is, how laid back, even though you got to get your work done, how laid back, and how different spring training is, and Joe just embraced how important it was to keep it lively in those six weeks of spring training, keep it fun because pretty soon the unbelievable grind of one hundred and sixty two games is going to start. So I can't wait for everyone to hear some of Joe Madden's stories.
Speaker 2: Joe Madden joins, is just a great game? Or what coming up next?
Speaker 3: Welcome back to is this great game? Or what ourd guest today for the spring training episode is our pal Joe Madden, former minor league baseball player, former really good high school quarterback, and of course a major league coach and manager for a million years. Joe, this is my son, Jeff. Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 4: I cannot be more honored to meet Jeff for the first time. We have a common friend, actually, and this therapist is my nephew, Michael, of all things, and it's always great to be with you.
Speaker 5: Tim.
Speaker 4: You've done so many wonderful things for us in Hazelton with the Hazelton Integration Project, which is really still going wonderfully.
Speaker 5: So Senior, both on the same screen.
Speaker 3: It's pretty cool, right well, Joe, we're going to start off with spring training. A couple of years you lived in your mobile home, correct, And would you please tell Jeff the name of the mobile home. You gave it a special name, did you not?
Speaker 5: It was the cousin Eddie.
Speaker 4: You know you remember you remember Christmas vacation and actually had a great decal made up of when.
Speaker 5: He's a cousin Eddie.
Speaker 4: Standing by the great the sewer great holding the hose from the sewage system of the of the r V into the into the sewage system.
Speaker 5: And that was the decal.
Speaker 4: And I had on the side of the r VC driving down the highway and people say, the cousin see the cousin Eddie with the silhouette of Kuwaid standing there with the hose into the into the sewer.
Speaker 5: It was. It was so good.
Speaker 4: I got so many compliments about it, but there was different iterations to I had about three. I think it was like three cousin eddies won two and three. I don't might have been a fourth, but I no longer have a cousin Eddie. It just got to the point where they were very difficult to maintain and storage is also a concern. But anyway, wonderful us to live in spring trainings all the time, and they were great.
Speaker 5: For spring training.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Joe, you could have stayed at a really cool hotel. You could have gotten a house instead. What was the number one reason behind and having your own mobile home?
Speaker 4: It's your tay one thing when you do an RB mobile home RB whatever you feel like it's your own like you're on the road, but you're not. So you feel very comfortable. You know, you pack it up when you leave. A lot of the stuff is familiar. You get to where you're going and you're not taking suitcases in and out of hotels, You're not walking through a lobby, and quite frankly, you know, I have no problem greeting the public, but there's an isolationism to this that's also kind of neat at that time.
Speaker 5: Of the year.
Speaker 4: So I'm telling you, you get a cool I mean, this is a forty five foot or this is a bus, so you get one that large.
Speaker 5: It's like you are at home.
Speaker 4: You took your home on the road, parked it you live and then afterwards, of course, my son in law, THEO, Sarah's husband, would drive it back from Arizona back to Tampa when I had it out in Arizona. But it is, I mean, the best way for those that are on the fence. It's like you're living in your own place as opposed to something a little bit more sterile.
Speaker 1: Thank you Joe for joining this podcast. Seriously, when we were talking about having somebody you're mentioning living out of cousin Eddie in spring training when when we were talking about doing a spring training episode in our second season ever of the podcast, he said, well, we have to get Joe Madden.
Speaker 2: We just have to because of.
Speaker 1: The things he would do during spring training, the fun he would have. Can you take us back to those days of maybe some of the more fun things you did with your players or your teams to kind of you know, it's a long season. Baseball is a long year, and so what were some antics or some fun you had during spring training with your teams?
Speaker 4: Well, it all, you know, it evolved started with the Rays of course, and even goes back to instructionally with the Angels. Nobody ever sees different things that you do in the minor leagues. We used to do this thing where Jeter Hines would be the Mattale, the god of wood, and we would have to get into a slump, so we would get all the bats out into the middle of the field one of the fields at Geenautry Park, and then Alan say Where who then became the field superintendent at Joe Robbie Stadium, he'd bring him out in a one of those little dump things, the payloader, and it would be up in the this kind of position holding it up, and Jeter'd be inside his thing. In the meantime, we get all the bats together. I don't need to gross people out, but in the morning it would be like spit cans all over the locker room, and you were permitted to spit in these things. And then Jeter would consolidate it. And then he'd get out there with like rambo kind of stuff, like the knife in his mouth, paint all over himself, coming out of a payloader, and the right in the middle field number three, Alan would lower it, Jada would fall out, he'd get me start chanting, and then the last thing he could do he would gulp down this mixture that we all wanted.
Speaker 5: I don't mean to get you guys.
Speaker 4: Sick, but it was like hysterical to the point where Doug Rader had him fly to Baltimore one time when they were in a slut, just to do their bats there. So he was Matteo, the God of Wood. That's kind of how it started. I used to videotape it. Now, fine audio is really what makes you because you know, the guys were kind of gagging and stuff. So this was like that's probably one of the funnest things I've ever seen done to do that, and then you go beyond that. Let's go with the Cubs. Guys, heard of Tim Buss. Bussy, Yeah, Bussy was Bussy. You know, every every team should have a timbus invaluable. A Busy would have his meeting in the morning before that we would stretch in spring training. We'd get in a circle right outside of Sloan there, out of our little practice warm up facility, and they would all get in a big circle and he'd go with his ball bag and he'd start complaining to like the biggest stars about something stupid he over heard them say, and he would find him something in front of everybody and it would just be up roeries. But the one day he had this idea with the paintball gun, and so we went out behind the batty cages where the press could not necessarily see us. And I know Hector and Don't had one, maybe somebody else would. Bussy started at the one end of the of the batting tunnels and ran to the other end, and we did video this and as he's running down there, I think he had a helmet on and goggles. But guys, are shooting with a paintball gun and then you play it back in slow motion and you could see like the fat just like like you see in slow motion with just the jelly kind of a roll and all the way down there, and then Bussy would finally get to the other end and then he come back, so we were shoot him with the paintball gun in front of everybody. We brought bears down from Bear Country northern Arizona. There's a farm up there, whatever you want to call it. We brought little cubs down and the guys would frolic with the cubs on the field. Listen, it was it was never any with the and then with the rays, with the raisin. Also with the angels, we had a golf event. We brought golf clubs out Raheem Morris was there the one time. He was the man, a head coach of the box and this that, and then of course you know what the falcons we would have long drive over like field and bj up. Then oh my god, you got to see that in person. And then with the angels we had closest to the pin. But it's just the camaraderie impact is incredible, the laughter, the fun, the giggle and whatever. There's enough pressure applied to these guys daily that we don't have to apply more from a staff. So I always wanted to hit the pressure relief valve as well as we possibly could and understand, and I think sometimes it's getting contorted now.
Speaker 5: It is a game.
Speaker 4: It's a game, and these guys should have fun, and if you treat them as such, you could end up going to several World Series and winning them.
Speaker 3: Joe, didn't you oose to start workouts with the Angels when you were a coach? There with the golf balls into the butte? Is that right you? Mickey Hatcher?
Speaker 5: That was Micky Hatcher.
Speaker 4: Mickey Hatcher, Oh my god, Hatch could really drive a golf ball. So we come out the back door there right field the main field that the buttes, and the buttes are in left center.
Speaker 5: I mean I couldn't reach them. But Mickey would get out there.
Speaker 4: Man, he t that sucker up and anybody like delivery trucks and stuff out there, and I think, oh my god, but he would lose it over the wall and it would start ricocheting off bricks and trucks and all this, And people had no idea where these golf balls are coming from. If you don't know Mickey Hatcher, Micky Micky. The way he could describe Micky, I love you so passionate. When he'd make an argument in a meeting, the only way to stop him is when he ran out of breath.
Speaker 5: He'd run out of breath and that would end his point and.
Speaker 4: It was always hysterical. Micky Hatcher is one of my favorite coaches teammates.
Speaker 5: Of all time.
Speaker 4: And yes, he could really drive a golf ball, not only far but incredibly straight.
Speaker 3: Right, Joe, I remember the famous one. Mike Soosha told me you were there when they brought in an Ostrich? Is that right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Would you tell us that story when they brought when when they brought an Ostrich into the clubhouse?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Socia was the best at this, and I think he might have got some of it from Tommy. But yeah, during spring training, we'd all gather in the morning in a circle in the clubhouse. It's like claustrophobic, it's so small, and so she would just ramble and he would pick on guys to do different things, and primarily rookies. One guy said he could play the piano, So next day, there's a piano in the middle of the clubhouse. Dude's got to get up there and play the piano. As an example, Ramona Ortiz says in the Dominican I could catch fish with my better hands in the winter time. So the next day we had a waiting poll with live fish in the clubhouse and Ramone was out there grabbing fish out of a waiting pool whatever. But the big one you're talking about was the Ostrich Festival was being held.
Speaker 5: I think it was in Chandler.
Speaker 4: And Jared Washburn, who's game, you know, I love watch, So he assigns wash to go down there and was about to get information and photographs or pictures or T shirts whatever and report back the next day.
Speaker 5: And the next day we're doing the meeting and all.
Speaker 4: Of a sudden, wash calls time out and the handler walks in, and then behind him is an Ostrich really in person. These suckers are really tall, and that's when and again Ramona tees love. Ramona teas its sincerely, jumps out of his chair, gets on top of the lockers and starts screaming, that's the biggest chicken I've ever seen. And it was like freaked out by the whole thing.
Speaker 5: So we did.
Speaker 4: I mean we took it to listen, Angels win the two thousand and two Raise, win in two thousand and eight, we don't go all the way when we get there. And then the Cubbies in sixteen. I'm telling you, man, a big part of our success was the humor attached to it and the fact that we kept guys lose. We did different things, even to the point with the playoffs with the Cubs in sixteen, going to the series, I had when we had a off there, not an off day, yeah, an off day at home. We would serve breakfast on the field, so the guys are at the batting cage hitting, taking her VP and I'd have those tray set up in the back, those silver trays with the little burners underneath, so a guy could go get his breakfast in between swings. You know, during the playoffs on Wrigley Field, where things like this, and everybody wants to do look at more video, break data down, they want to do all this stuff. But at the end of the day, man, these guys have to be loose in their brains, have to work in the moment, and they have to be able to breathe, and whatever you can do to permit them to breathe in the moment, I'll take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's so important, Joe.
Speaker 1: And we've had like Sosha on the show, like we've had other managers with Tito Francona on the show.
Speaker 2: So and there's one commonality I find is exactly what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Yes there is data, Yes there is numbers, but there's there's an unattainable statistic we can't get which is right in here is how is it feeling? How loose is this guy? And I think that's really really special. And it starts in spring training, of.
Speaker 5: Course it does. You have to set the tone.
Speaker 4: I only had three meetings during the course of a baseball season.
Speaker 5: I was not into meetings at all. I think they're overblown there.
Speaker 4: They're pretty much ever is holding an anger meeting that during the course of the year is pretty much doing it.
Speaker 5: For his own benefit.
Speaker 4: It's him getting some thing off his chest so that he may be able to tell others that, Yeah, I got him, I got in front of them, I got really upset. I told him, I told him what's what right for me? It's one meeting in the beginning of that, you set the tone and this.
Speaker 5: Is exactly who we are.
Speaker 4: We lay it out very clearly, specifically, this is how we're going to do it, how we're going to work, what our goals are, how we're going to attend that, we're going to remain flexible, et cetera. Just talk straight up, and then here comes the All Star break. I used to do it after the All Star break, but then I figured right before the All Star break was a better time to do it because it permitted guys to think about what you were thinking about at that time. I would normally rehashpring training and then try to fill in, Okay.
Speaker 5: We've met these goals. We have not met these goals.
Speaker 4: These are some things we have to pay more attention to post et cetera, et cetera. And we were normally in pretty good shape all the teams I've had at that time.
Speaker 5: And then the next meeting would be.
Speaker 4: Before the first playoff game, and most of the time we were in the playoffs. Sometimes it was just the end of the season, but before the first playoff game, I would want another meeting again, rehash the first meeting, second meeting. Now we're here and The primary objective at that point was, you know, you know what I want you guys to change right now. I is going to this first playoff game absolutely nothing. We played the game the same on March fifteenth, July fifteenth, August fifteenth, and okay, September fifth, November third, or fourth, whatever. I don't want us to play any different game. I want to keep playing the same game of baseball. And that's what I try to convince them that there's no more I don't want to attach more weight to any specific day. I would frustrate the press a lot of times in this pretty big game, but you know what, they're all big games, and I don't want us to change our attitude or our methods based on the perception that this one weighs more than the other. So that was all part of the planning from spring training, midseason, first playoff game. Then, of course, if you had to say goodbye in a way because we lost, of course you did that. But there was a couple of celebrations that were pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Joe, let's go back to the Angels one more time. I'm gonna be careful about this, but remember when Scott Spiezio was assigned a word, and the word was erudite. Do you remember what happened? Because I wasn't there, but I remembered what happened. Do you remember?
Speaker 4: You'd have to jog me on that one, because I mean, I love Scott, one of.
Speaker 3: The great ever A World Series hero, but absolutely no. Sure he got erudite mixed up with hermaphrodite.
Speaker 4: And now, well, it's that makes sense. I'm sure I have done the same thing without even realizing it.
Speaker 6: So there he goes, Jeff, He goes in front of the team to explain what this word means, and he's got the wrong word, and like everyone in the room is Howllywood laughter because of what it was.
Speaker 5: Oh boy, you.
Speaker 4: Know that we did that. We did all kinds of fun stuff. I'm telling you, man, I would cry.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 4: Best was when when Rob quinlan so assigned Quinland to the what is it? The medieval festival out there when I can't remember exactly what they call it. He's Quinland's funny. Q went to the University of Minnesota. Low Q and I would hang out a little bit. He was a player, I was a coach. But anyway, Q goes to this thing and he's a reporter and he stands with his microphone and he's doing his gig. But every scene that he did would be a big fat guy with the number fourteen Jersey angels jersey walking behind the shop with Socia on his back.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: Hey, this is Rob Quinlan reporting from the.
Speaker 4: Medieval festival here and we and we're here at the Turkey Lake thing whatever, and all of a sudden, big fat guy goes walking by fourteen on his back social So, I mean, I am crying during this whole probably a five minute gig, and it ends up two things that were great. Quinlan's talking to behind him is number fourteen Soshia with this back to the camera and he gets a turkey leg and he just like you can imagine, takes it right down his gullet.
Speaker 5: From behind, guys are dying.
Speaker 4: The last one, he's on this rocking horse that had to be at least ten to fifteen feet tall.
Speaker 5: He's rocking on this with.
Speaker 4: A turkey leg in his hand and number fourteen Sosia on his back. As Rob Quinlan decides to say, this is Rob reporting from the medieval festival here out in.
Speaker 5: The farthest point out there in the Eastern Valley. I was crying. I mean I couldn't stop. I mean his laughing art. I was crying.
Speaker 4: But that was what we did. And it's you making your asking players to go outside your comfort zone. And that is so important in regards to not being blown up by heavy moments or fast moments, or or world series moments. You always got to get the more you walk outside of your comfort zone, because the great line is that success lies on the other side of fear.
Speaker 5: That's and that's what you have to You have to get beyond your fears. We all have them.
Speaker 4: And so the more you could put yourself in an uncomfortable moment, the more you diminish your fears, which then to me permits you to react in a situation with an anticipation of good and not a fear of doing something bad.
Speaker 5: I think it's all interconnected, right, But tell us.
Speaker 3: The story when you were with the Rais and you were doing a base running drill and Carlos Paina made a mistake in the base running drill. It was a it was a minor mistake, but you corrected him and then I know the story. Job, but it'll be way better if you tell it. Do you remember his response when you told him I got you got this raw? What he responded by, I don't.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to lie to you. I don't remember. I do remember doing all this, but I need you need to jog me a little.
Speaker 3: Bit, Jo, My memory is too good. By the way, it is my greatest cursed Also, all right.
Speaker 1: Joe, for the record, the amount of times in one year of is this a great game?
Speaker 3: Or what?
Speaker 2: That he has started this?
Speaker 1: And guess I had to say, Tim, you're gonna have to help me here.
Speaker 2: Stories he wasn't even there for.
Speaker 1: All right, I was it's it's it's a I'm clapping dad, because it's an incredible memory.
Speaker 3: You do have a right, Joe, your first base when Carlos Payne you quoted Martin Luther King?
Speaker 5: Do you okay? Go ahead, yes, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Explain what happened roughly that day when he made a mistake on the basis and gave you his answer.
Speaker 4: It was first to third. I think it was the first the third row? Was that correct?
Speaker 5: The first the third row? And and please tell me the quote.
Speaker 3: You can't remember the exact quote, but your point you you got him off the hook because of his reasoning right exactly.
Speaker 4: Well, Carlos always is going to have a good reason. I mean, my god, I love this man. I mean, he comes to us from Detroit. I think at that time, Andrew calls me in the off season and what do you think about Carlos Penias as well. You know, I've always been a big fan of this guy's got huge power, whatever, whatever, whatever. And then he comes to that camp, the first camp with us, and we're ready to keep Norton the third baseman, first baseman could really hit, and Carlos comes in my office and says, we're no, I'm supposed to be here. You guys are making a mistake. I've already seen it. No, this is wrong. We're playing our last exhibition game that day and Norton gets hurt. He gets hurt, and all of a sudden, who's on the roster forty six home runs later later, Carlos paenya. But Carlos is so bright he made that whatever the mistake was going first to third, I would imagine it did not hit the inside of the bag, nor did he probably snap his head to the next space. Those are the things that would really be emphasizing at that point. First, the third, reading your keys properly as you look behind you, did the right field, right field before you started, did the center field, and move loatterly. I mean, all these different things I would discuss, so he would suck it up and take it and then only he could come back with to me with Martin Luther King, you know, And at that point I just got to shut up. I mean, it's like, you're right, Okay, I accept this, and I wish I could remember the exact quote.
Speaker 5: You know, I got a dream. I don't even know what he talked about at that point. Maybe he had the.
Speaker 4: Dream like I was talking about what he was supposed to be on the team when I said he wasn't for Norton.
Speaker 5: So anyway, Loos the best. Los.
Speaker 4: I'm so happy for his success. But I loved, I'd loved when I get those guys that really kind of right and he's very bright, and then he would throw stuff at me, man, and he would always he would always corner me, would start talking about different things, and it was the best.
Speaker 5: But you're absolutely right, and I do remember that.
Speaker 1: Specifically, Joe, I want to talk to you about the twenty sixteen Chicago Cubs and hopefully my dad's okay, because so little background. In twenty sixteen, I was a morning radio host in Cleveland, Ohio. It was my first job out of college, and naturally, as my dad taught me, it's so important to support the teams of the city you're living in, and so I embrace the then Cleveland Indians. You had Terry Francona, Francisco Lindor. It was a great team, right And then of course we get to the World Series and it's two storied franchises to storied droughts. Obviously, the Cubs make the Indians drought at the time look like nothing.
Speaker 2: But Game seven, I was standing room only.
Speaker 1: I just had to be in the stadium and we talked to David Ross, who had a great, amazing home run in that and we talked to him a little bit about how Chicago embraced him kind of forever. Now for you being solidified in Chicago allure, so to speak. How cool is that for you to kind of have that notch on your belt.
Speaker 3: I know you're too.
Speaker 1: Humble to admit that any thing other than that, but that must be pretty awesome.
Speaker 4: I love going back to Chicago, and I love going back to Chicago because of the people. That fan base is extraordinary. I mean I knew that the backtrack livele Digress. I knew nothing about that, this this the Cubs and the lure. Before I got I was an American leaguer. I had never even been to Wrigley Field before the race played there for the first time in twenty fourteen. That's the first time I went there. Uh, stay on on TV. When I got there, I ran into the clubhouse, put my my backpack down, and ran right down to the bench because I had to say it with my own eyes, and I was not disappointed.
Speaker 5: That was how it began.
Speaker 4: And for me, I would I live downtown. I had to live downtown. I wanted to feel it. I'd walk around and go for my breakfast, join in the morning, whatever, I go for my bike ride on. Like sure, they're tremendous, but you always people would stop and talk to you. And all they wanted to do was stop and talk to you. It was not they didn't want an autograph, they didn't want a photograph. They just wanted to talk Cubs. How much they appreciate It's kind of like my hometown. I've always said this Hazels is like a microcosm of this large city of Chicago, which is just a bunch of neighborhoods, a big group of neighborhoods.
Speaker 5: So anyway, I felt very comfortable.
Speaker 4: There, and I felt very at ease with the people there because I knew these people. I'm Italian Polish, a lot of that happening there, right, And so when I looked in their faces, when I the conversations, they made me feel very accepted. And I was in a big city but didn't feel like it. And that's it. When I go back there, I've done different gigs back there. Yeah, you walk in the hotel, you walk in a restaurant, whatever. Still, and I did something at Crawley's cub Cave.
Speaker 5: They call it something. It's out in the suburbs a couple of years ago. I mean, four hundred and five hundred people in.
Speaker 4: The guy's backyard with a tent, you know, huge, and then you go into his house and he's got like this, this altar to the Cubs, this shrine of the Cubs.
Speaker 5: It's sincere. It's amazing.
Speaker 4: It's the most fortunate part of my baseball career that I was given that opportunity to be there at that time, and you know, for me, Chicago, the city, the people, I think for me, if I could live there, I would live there. The weather was so bad, but I love that place that much and I love going back there.
Speaker 1: You know, Joe, we called it the kirkshin World Series because at the time, my sister was living in Chicago and I was living in Cleveland. And I made a bet on baseball tonight that whoever won the series would have to have the other person pay for their flight back home to see our parents for Christmas. So David Ross didn't seem too open to helping me out with that.
Speaker 2: It's been a couple of.
Speaker 1: Years, but I just, you know, you just kind of screwed me out of a couple hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to let you know now.
Speaker 5: Well, you were just flying back to Maryland, right it was. Yeah, I don't feel so bad for you.
Speaker 1: That was a historic year and pretty incredible, and Chicago fan base is just unbelievable. So to hear that you're so connected and sold in that history is amazing, Right.
Speaker 3: Joe, Back to the Rays, when you had Stephen vote the Manager of the Year in the American League this year, and he was one of your players. He routinely would imitate you in spring trailing. Can you tell us what that was like?
Speaker 5: He lampooned me. But he's the best, you know.
Speaker 4: First of all, you know, he was not supposed to ever be a big league player, according to the front offices in the scutting department.
Speaker 5: But the guy can hit. He could absolutely hit.
Speaker 4: So he kept hitting his way up, up up, And then we brought him over to a big league game and he was so entertaining the guys wanted him back again. And we would put him in the circle in the morning like we do, and that he would entertain the whole group. Gets to the point where he finally gets to know me well enough that we had like a talent show that first year, those two thousand and excuse me, two thousand and eight at Port Charlotte talent show was tremendous. Percival as a judge, the Floy's a judge. All these dudes are the judge. And here comes Voter. This is out in the outfield on a deck. He comes out of his bicycle, which I did all the time with the dressed up like me with glasses like me, and with a fund he gets off the bat off the bike, and I always prop the fungo underneath my leg Cookie Row, I taught me how to do that. So he stands there like me and just starts extemporaneously saying a lot of big words, not making any sense whatsoever, being me and the place. Howled Voter is. You know, he's uh, he's so contagious.
Speaker 5: He is. Actually, he's like he's a pathogen. He's contagious.
Speaker 4: And when he got there, I knew, regardless of what he knows or doesn't know about managing a baseball team, him alone is going to make up for that as he plays ketchup.
Speaker 5: He is that.
Speaker 4: Appealing to a wide variety of people. He just is so doesn't surprise me. I love the way him and Carl got Karl Wilson, other guy.
Speaker 5: Carl the Truth.
Speaker 4: Carl used to have my picture underneath the bill of his cap when he pitched in Edmonton. Anytime I went in there as a as a roving instructor, the Truth would pitch well. So I mean to this day, for a long time he kept by a picture underneath his hat, under his bill. So when I see him sitting there with Voter. That's kind of a cool gig. It makes me feel pretty good about it. And I really believe Voter again, as he understands the game better from the manager's seat. Combining that with his talents as an individual, as a human, his ability to relate to people, it's going to get pretty special.
Speaker 3: But Joe, you do use a lot of big words because you are a transly educated from Lafayette and you read more books than the average person could ever dream of reading. How important are words to you, not just as a manager and a baseball guy, but as a person.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it was Twain that said, and Mark Twain said, a the cool stuff. The difference between the right word and the wrong word is like the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. Something along those lines, right, and that really synopsizes is the whole thing. I mean, Yes, starting nineteen seventy four or five, whatever that was, I told you this story. It's in our book of Joe, Me and Tommy Erducci, Uncle Chuck Game Centennial by James Mitchner. Now Mitchener, of course he could not have researched all of that, but Michener's books were normally right around a thousand pages.
Speaker 5: I couldn't put it down.
Speaker 4: And it really starts about plate tectonics, how animals move from from Russia Asia over the Bering Sea straight which was frozen.
Speaker 5: They'd come over North America end up in Colorado. And I was hooked.
Speaker 4: I was absolutely hooked at that particular junctre. So I read so many Mitchener books from that moment on favorite author Pat Conroy, probably because I just don't know. I don't know I've read anybody that could put his stiens together better or more interestingly then Pat Conry can do. I started with Beach Music, leon URIs, Exodus, The Hodge, Keep moving Forward, you know all the popular ones, Grisham, all those guys, Greg Ayle, some great stuff, spaned Out, Phoenix.
Speaker 5: All these books.
Speaker 4: I love fiction, but I love educational fiction, you know, stuff that was rooted in fact also, And of course I read Joe name it stuff because I'm a name it guy. But I'm telling you, Timmy, I don't I used to read, I swear to you, at least two books a month, probably like real books can fall It, Pillars of the Earth World Without and all these Ken follow stuff. Another thing, The Fall of Giants, the last thing you did the trilogy, unbelievably great. So yes, my interest in words, in reading was born of Uncle Chuck. My Uncle Chuck that one day, tell me read this, and then from that it moved into the Source the Caribbean, all these different missioner books, and the Drifters. That's the one that really made my mind jump. I just so wanted to go to Europe and travel and be young and travel and not worry about, you know, where's the next buck coming from. All these guys did that for me, and I think it's simpiltrated my craft as a manager and what I do as a manager because I see things differently, I understand differently, and I think that was a gift that Uncle Chuck gave to me.
Speaker 1: Joe, I've heard so many amazing stories of the work you've done in your hometown of Hazleton, which currently from where I am in beautiful Montgomery County, Pennsylvania's only ninety minutes away, so we're not too far from each other. And you mentioned at the top of the show your nephew is my physical therapist, Mike, who I run into at the local Chinese food restaurant, so we live about six minutes away from each other, and Dad, I joked about this before we hit record. On our first session, I was having some really bad planner fasci itis. We basically didn't talk about my foot the entire time. We just talked about Joe and you, Dad, and that connection in baseball, which I think is just so beautiful that that you know, when you find a connection and mutual connection in baseball. But back to Hazelton, my dad has been a part of some amazing events that you've done.
Speaker 5: I know that cal Rifken.
Speaker 1: Junior has been a part of it. Take us to what that means to you, what that event is, and what it benefits, because I know it's really important to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll just thought synopsize again. Here give you the cliff notes. This began in twenty ten. I went back home for Christmas and it was really upset. I grew up in the best town in the world ever to grow up in as a kid, and it no longer was that it was dark. There was fear all over the city. There was this rift between the incoming Hispanic community versus the existing Anglo community, and it wasn't going to go anywhere good positively in iner future wasn't going to happen. And I flew back to California. I thinking to myself, I got to do something. I got to do something here. This is not going to work playing in baseball, well being in baseball, so many Hispanic members, and just in general terms, we've been able to expand on horizons internationally just by the people that we meet.
Speaker 5: So I get back and I'm upset.
Speaker 4: So I called my cousin Bob and Elane, and we started with the thought, I mean, we needed to do something because I saw it as the people that I grew up with are pushing these people away, and I'm saying, no, no, no, we have to draw them in because they're the ones that are going to save our city. The city was pretty much you know you talk about rust belt. There was nothing going on. There was no real industry. There's some warehousing and all that kind of stuff. Cole was no longer king as it had been. So these guys are coming in. They're coming in with families, and they're looking for the American dream. Inexpensive housing, good schools, much better schools, an opportunity for work. Because interstate eighty one meet right there. There's all these warehousing stuff going on out there with like low skill but good paying jobs and an opportunity to get your feet on the ground. So these were the perfect people to get us going. So how do you do this?
Speaker 5: How do you make this work? So we had to.
Speaker 4: I went to a daycare center after church on a Sunday. I was a Hispanic daycare center, and the lady's name is ne york Cup. And I'm watching this whole thing unfold and I'm seeing like low tables with adults knee sitting above and pot luck on the table. I'm seeing kids running everywhere. Everything's out of control. It's like one or two in the afternoon. And I thought to myself, Wow, this is exactly what my house used to look like back in the sixties and pretty much the sixties. And I thought, at that point, we are pushing this away and this is exactly who we were and what we need.
Speaker 5: So that was how it was born.
Speaker 4: And then we eventually started like with an event to raise money was Jogi Baron Don Zimmer and Lowitz's catering hall. That's how it began, and all of a sudden, we're raising some bucks, and then Bob starts writing grants and then eventually buy MPB School, which is a former elementary junior high school, twenty five classrooms, full cafeteria, full gymnasium that the Ripkins provided money to put an all purpose floor on that gym that's still is jammed every day there. And then you got adult education, you got after school education, and now we're winning national awards for you know, pretty much setting an example. This is how to do this thing.
Speaker 1: You know, you started with the Jogi barra and then you upgraded to bringing my dad in big upgrade.
Speaker 5: Very good, All right enough plus right.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you one of the highlights of my career was one night in Hazelton. I was the moderator and Joe and Cal Ripken spoke for an hour and all I did was like ask one question and then the rest of the hour was a back and forth between Cal Ripken and Joe Madden. And when it was over, I had to tell everyone in the crowd, one hundred people who paid one thousand dollars each, that you have just been let in on some of the greatest inside baseball that I have ever heard. Joe, do you remember that back and forth you had with Cal Junior.
Speaker 4: It was fascinating, absolutely, And I do remember pointing out the fact that he used to call pitches from short stuff and I was I was driving me nuts to try to figure out his different signs. When I first caught onto those coaching first base, so that would have been nineteen ninety five, Yes, when I first caught onto it. So I'm watching all these different things. He would like, put his arms over his head, he'd bite the string on his glove, he would kick his foot one way or the other.
Speaker 5: He would look right or would look left, and you.
Speaker 4: Know, Hoyle's is catching, and I'm trying to figure out. There's times I thought I got a couple of pitches. I figured him out for half any or whatever, but then he would blow up the whole whatever the key was. But I found that very interesting that Cal would call pitches from shortstops.
Speaker 5: We talked about that. He didn't deny it. That was not denied.
Speaker 3: It was tremendous.
Speaker 5: Jeff.
Speaker 3: Another night that I was in Hazelton, Bill Murray showed it. Yeah, and help me with this, Joe, Joe Namath came to one of those correct tell us about Bill Murray and Joe Namath separately going to Hazelton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this will I can't remember where I was at exactly, but Murray, Bill Murray texted or called him, texted me and invited me to a gig in New York City, and I truly had something else going on. And then I said, but next week I have this thing going on in Hazelton at the Valley Country Club.
Speaker 5: I'd love for you to attend.
Speaker 4: It would be you know whatever, big great, Uh can you possibly do that? He said maybe, And he by saying maybe, I said, Okay, this is probably gonna happen. He dropped the big mayby on this. Then all of a sudden, at six p m. Right about six, him and his entourage, the door is open. Here comes Bill Murray and his entourage into the Valley Country Club, and of course he goes and sees my mom Beanie, takes pictures with Beanie, and of course all my cousins started gathering around him.
Speaker 5: But he was fabulous.
Speaker 4: He was there for a couple hours, He had a great time, and he was obviously the hit of the night. But obviously that that got started with the thing with the cubs. And I used to visit with them out there, and god, he was great.
Speaker 5: And so he did.
Speaker 4: That started with him asking me and I really couldn't make it. But then he shows up two hours away, drives over for the night, and then drives back to New York City.
Speaker 5: That's how that happened. And the name it.
Speaker 4: I've always been a Nameath fan, so I came remember with the exact spreen training with Rick Vaughan. I started out talking about different things. That started out my.
Speaker 5: Coaches meeting at Port Charlotte.
Speaker 4: With this, I didn't talk about the game winder, I says, first of all, I have one edic request, whatever you want to call for this camp. Joe Namath has to show up at our camp at some point this year. That was it, and I powered Chico. Chico Fornettis was our video guy. I also called them my concierge. This is for the concierge. You need to get name it here somehow. I don't care when we got to see Joe Namath in camp this year. Okay, the eventually that gets turned over Rick Vaughn, who's our media guy, and eventually we go down and play. The Cardinals are the Marlins in Jupiter and who shows up at Joe. Joe shows up and he's with us for an entire game in the dugout in uniform, just shirt and hat, and we talked the whole game and we hit it off so well. So then eventually I asked if he would come to one of our events. It was downtown Hazelton, really cool building. It really one of our more elaborate events. We have sent a private playing down for him and back he showed up, obviously, big hit, and since then we stay in touch. I've done his golf tournaments a couple of times. I don't know if you've ever ever had a chance to speak with Joe, but he's Western Pennsylvania. I'm northeastern Pennsylvania. He's grown up. What was the Hungarian I think was his background? Me Polish side of it. It's just so easy, The conversations are so easy. So we become like pretty good buds. And that's how it all began. Chico, I want to see name of the camp this year, and Bill Murray dropped the maybe on me, and that's how both of those things got wronged.
Speaker 3: And you wore white spikes in high school as a football, of course because of Joe name if correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wore the bigger face mask number twelve white ry Dell's and eventually when I got to Laffyette, my first drink of choice was Scotch because that's the Joe Giant and I told him so well.
Speaker 5: He's right, Johnny Walker, I was with. I did doers white label so well well.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Rick vaughn, our dear friend who helps Joe with PR and was a PR guy with the Orioles, one of my best friends of the whole world, he told me that you play golf every day, like literally every day. Is that true? And how? Yeah? Are you getting any better? Because the last time I talked to you, you told me he stunk.
Speaker 5: I do steak at the time I stunk. Yesterday I played really well. I played well last.
Speaker 4: Week and I won my match and the club in the match play Club Championships I'm playing in tomorrow. I beat a really good golfer last Saturday. I can't believe by Sunday, came from behind him down by three strokes after twelve and I win.
Speaker 5: So I down a little bit. Yes, Then I played again two days ago. Was great.
Speaker 4: I should have had a seventy eight one o B at the end screwed me up. And then yesterday I stunk. I absolutely freaking stunk. So today after we get done one of the driver range because I stink with my driver, that's where I stink. And I'm playing I'm big Max tomorrow, so I got to get the driver's graight. So I'm gonna go do that, go to the gym, get good rest tonight, and then I'm gonna go out and play Tomorre and try to win. And if I win, the more I play again on Sunday, I'm down like an eight seven eight handicap kind of a guy.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: And you know, so it's listen. I have my moments.
Speaker 4: I even shot part once last summer at the Valley Country Club, which I've never been able to.
Speaker 5: I said once. Then the next day I was back eighty five. You know.
Speaker 4: It's just like, that's the thing about this game and so wonderful. I need to Yes, it's almost every day, but I'm what I'm doing now because I'm coming off a back surgery last year. I had to lam aneacdomy last year, so I'm trying to balance it out to not every day golf. Maybe there to gym, maybe day off golf, golf. I'm trying to like maybe four or five days a week at the most.
Speaker 3: Now, Jeff, so typical of our baseball players, who are such great athletes. I just think of this game. He's a seven, he's an eight. He shot seventy eight. That beats ninety nine point nine percent of the people who've ever tried to play that diabolical game. So I don't want to hear it anymore.
Speaker 4: Joe, Yeah, I'm missing I study it watching videos.
Speaker 5: This morning, I'm going over there.
Speaker 4: I'm going to the Chichi Rodriguez driving Range in a couple of minutes to work on a couple of things.
Speaker 5: Because if I get off the tea tomorrow.
Speaker 4: The local pro Anthony down at the member of Saint Pete Country Club. Now he's helped me dramatically with my chipping, chipping and putty good off, Iron's good. I just bought some Mazuno's. I love him, and I just got to get off the tee and once I get up to tech, I'll be able to play consistently, you know, high seventies, low eighties at the worst.
Speaker 5: I should be able to do that. If I could get off the team.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, Joe, we could talk to you for hours, especially about spring training. We want to make sure we get you to the course because we need you to win tomorrow, because we know how upset you'll be if you don't play well tomorrow. He's studying tapes, Jeff. He's almost seventy years old, and he's studying tapes of golf, his third best sport after baseball and football.
Speaker 5: Seventy one as a fibulary, Sorry, Joe, Sorry.
Speaker 4: Seventy was a new fifty one. When I got my job with the Rays, I was fifty one. I said fifty one was a new thirty one. So I'm staying with that mathematical equation. Seventy one is a new fifty one, and I'm sticking to it.
Speaker 5: Brother.
Speaker 1: Well, Joe Madden, thank you so much for joining the podcast. Thank you for the patience with my dad's inability to technology. Let's just say Joe was redded agout and we were still plugging things in when he was on the video at.
Speaker 5: Jeff Timke's perfect. It's right around two o'clock. I'm good, Jack.
Speaker 3: We got What you don't know is that one day we were doing a game in Chicago. Joe's the manager of the Cubs, and I'm having find I'm having technological issues, and he takes my cell phone and in front of all the press, he shows me how to do a function on it that everyone else in the world. The manager of the Cubs was teaching me how to use my cell phone.
Speaker 5: Thank you for that, Joe, and I was honored. Thank you and everybody.
Speaker 1: We'll have to have you as a repeat guest because I feel like we could talk for another three hours.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Joe, any subject you want, any subject you want, guys, thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Joe Madden for joining us and a perfect guest for our spring training episode.
Speaker 3: Dad, I need to.
Speaker 2: Know, did you Were you able to look up the Martin Luther King Junior?
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's not a great quote. I'm so embarrassed and I couldn't think of it at the time. But again, we were right about this. Joe Madden was right. Carlos Paying, a funny guy, tried to go from first to third in a base running drill and got thrown out, and he argued with Joe Madden that maybe it wasn't a mistake. He said, because and then he quoted the Martin Luther King Freedom Speech and he said, in which Martin Luther King basically said, it's okay to go to prison if you are going there for the right reason. So he was going first to third for the right reason, and even though he got thrown out, he should not be found guilty of that. He should not go to prison for that because his heart was in the right place on what he was trying to do. As Joe Madden said, this is unbelievable. It's spring training and my first basement is quoting doctor Martin Luther King.
Speaker 2: That's incredible.
Speaker 1: Joe Madden, thank you again for being our guest. To all of you listening, thank you so much for always being so loyal. Make sure to hit that follow button, subscribe on YouTube, on Apple podcasts, on Spotify, wherever you're listening, make sure to download those episodes.
Speaker 2: It's completely free.
Speaker 1: To you, and also follow us on Instagram, on Twitter on all the Good Stuff at Great Game or what Dad Will See you in two weeks for our final offseason episode can't.
Speaker 3: Wait to get back to once a week during the baseball season.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for listening, and as always, thanks for being a part of our family,