Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to Amy and TJ. And yes, I'm starting the podcast today. I'm probably not going to do a great job of it because now I've built it up where I'm not a good starter, but I'm going to go for it anyway. All I have to say is I'm very excited it's the last week of February. Maybe that's not a good way to look at it, but it's the shortest month of the year. But does it always feel like the longest month of the year?
Speaker 2: To you?
Speaker 3: Great job starting, by the way, I felt we should say that should thanks?
Speaker 1: I need affirmation and validation.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy, I hate February over to you, TJ.
Speaker 1: I mean I'm trying to sell hope and you know, positivity.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, with that picked me up. What was the question again, you say I hate February?
Speaker 1: Two was well kind of, But what I was basically saying was, does the shortest day of the month feel like the longest the shortest month of the year, sorry, feel like the longest month of the year.
Speaker 3: Uh No, because Black History Month never feels like a long month to me. It always just flies bah, which I guess was by design, wasn't it?
Speaker 1: Twenty eight days.
Speaker 3: Hey, we get twenty nine this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sleepier. Yeah, there's an extra person to celebrate in Black History Month? And is that what they do?
Speaker 3: We get an extra day, leapier black people are leaving with joy? Oh no, please, just another This has been a weird month for a whole bunch of reasons. Right, but in New York especially, it gets cold and everything gets kind of miserable, and you just it's not just cold, it's that cold it makes you not want to step a foot outside.
Speaker 1: Right, sucks and the sun doesn't shine that much. But anyway, onto something positive. This is something that we just were talking about with Emma and Andrew here with us because we all got excited about this. I feel like a schoolgirl when I know that we get to have more daylight this weekend we switch over. There's cloppying and smiles. Yay, you don't get as excited about it, TJ.
Speaker 3: When does it happen again this weekend? Saturday weekend?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, you go to sleep on Saturday and you spring forward, so you lose an hour of sleep, which I'm fully willing to give back to get that extra hour sun.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this week you're telling me I get an extra day for Black History and more sunlight. Yes, this is a money week, is it not?
Speaker 1: I just made February better, right, No, I'm kidding. So a couple of updates. We I was. Yeah, last last week we were proudly saying that we were on our run streak. Hell us, the dbay inspired us to run every day at least two miles. Wellout, a'll want. Last week just got busy and then once we missed one day, I was like, let's just stick to the hall Higden regular scheduled run. We have like a running a training program and you actually we print it out, we put it up on the kitchen and we have run days and he suggests or at least the plan suggests four running days a week. So we did do the four running day and that is what I had done before. Do you feel any different not running every day?
Speaker 3: No, we were just so busy celebrating Black History that we we missed a day of running. Oh yeah, I'm a andy. This is a theme now. This is all I'm about is a Black history. The extra day now is all you're getting from me? So yes, I'm excited about it all. What were we talking about?
Speaker 1: We were talking about missing we are. We we ended our running Strike Street.
Speaker 3: That was a that was that was legit. There was some you know, life got in the way. I'm sure we could have run it eleven night or something like that. So that was a way too. But it was a weird day and you know, life was coming at us for a whole host of reasons, and we used today but we didn't. And as well, I would suggest nobody should. Don't beat yourself up about it. If your dry January, if you're a vegetarian and you had piece of meat, what we got to give yourself a break, and it's okay, And we gave ourselves a break, It's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so yeah, this week we've got I think we So the New York City Half Marathon, which we're also excited about, is March seventeenth, I believe. So what about three weeks from now. So this week we have a five miler, a three mile er, a five mile, and then we have our nine mile run this weekend. You ready for it?
Speaker 3: Well, I hope I can recover in time from all the celebrating I'm doing for the extra day of Black History months.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. Also celebrating that my youngest Annaly's made it back safe and sound in one piece from Berlin. So that was nice to welcome her back.
Speaker 3: She was not celebrating Black History Month well in Germany.
Speaker 1: In Germany, no, she was not. She was not, But I think she was doing a lot of celebrating because she came back very tired, but in one piece, and that's all I ask at this point, and her passport was in to.
Speaker 3: And she came back. I mean, thank goodness she's back in time. Since we have an extra day to celebrate Black.
Speaker 1: History mark, what will she do with all of that celebration ahead of her for the next few days nowhere?
Speaker 3: I'll get her out somewhere, all right.
Speaker 1: That's that's amazing. Also, you know I mentioned March March seventeenth. Isn't that the day that March Madness starts? Uh no, oh, oh, March nineteenth.
Speaker 3: There we go. So it's the same it's the same week, okay, playing games essentially, yes, but yes, that week is a big one.
Speaker 1: So I last year was my first March with you, and we were in hiding seclusion at least, so I got to really fully experience March Madness with you last year, but this year, am I wrong? Like basketball is already taking over our lives?
Speaker 3: Well, it happens when as soon as the college football and the NFL season are over, the focus absolutely does shift and now everybody's every game matters. Everybody's still trying to get into the tournament. So yes, right now it is intense, and they have all the airwork, so I don't have to see time on Sunday or Saturday to college football or NFL football. So it's a lot of college basketball.
Speaker 1: So that's what was happening yesterday. I was on the couch watching TJ watching basketball all day.
Speaker 3: Why are you gonna watch me? Watch it? Why don't you watch it? Watch your TV?
Speaker 1: I mean I glanced, but I did get a little board, and so I thought it'd be fun to put a little experiment out. Actually, I got the idea from my from my cousin Nick, to see, hey, what what what do our listeners want to hear from us or what questions might they have for us? So I kind of put it out on Instagram just to see what I would get, and it was it was. It was fun and there was a lot of themes to it because everyone wanted to know about running. It seemed like that was like the number one thing people wanted to ask about. But I was going to give credit to the first person who responded on a DM to me and I loved I love her handle her Instagram handle lima bean casserole, because castle roles have been a theme with us too, So I just think it was funny that the first person.
Speaker 3: Has been a theme for you. This is not a thing for us.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, it's my midwestern white eyes.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 3: But lima bean castle.
Speaker 1: Role, so it made me laugh. Lima bean cast role wants to know our health, wellness and diet information.
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of lima beans.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had a lima bean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why I know. I hate lima bean. It's the only way I can know. And I've also had a casserole. So she combined well she lima beans, squash, liver casserole. Let's throw all with guacamole.
Speaker 1: Sour cream and guacamole on top.
Speaker 3: Throw all the things I hate into one.
Speaker 1: So in terms of TJ's diet, he's a texture person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. I don't have a thing with like pudding and whipped cream.
Speaker 1: And yogurt and any of it.
Speaker 3: Guacamole and alvocotte. Hate avocado. I hate it. So yes, I'm a texture.
Speaker 1: So he doesn't like anything creamy or whipped like whipped cream. He freaks out. The funny thing is he yucks my m He's like, ew, that's what you say when I put those things on my meal?
Speaker 3: Makes me squirrel it, It makes me squirre. What's the show Wipeout? We've been watching people watch wipe but we've get caught up on all the old episodes. But they started using foam and throwing like slime at people as they go through the courses. And I have a more difficult time watching the show because it sicks me out. He will see that.
Speaker 1: You will fast forward or say I can't watch it anymore if there's slime. You just have a real issue with textures.
Speaker 3: I don't know what do you want for me?
Speaker 1: So wait, what do you eat? Because Lima, being castrole, wants to.
Speaker 3: Know what sorts of training and whatnot, well.
Speaker 1: Just health, wellness and diet. Like a lot of people asked us what we eat? How you know how how we use food to incorporate just our running and all of our fitness.
Speaker 3: I have always been a very good eater since college. So I am pretty much just fish and veggies. That's it. Pretty much. Don't have meat in my diet. I will eat meat, like I said, I don't beat myself up about it, but as far as my diet goes, my meal is a Caesar salad with grilled chicken on a grilled salmon on top, or maybe shrimp on top, or it's a a Niewas salad with the tuna on it. And that's it. That's I mean, you're around me all the time, that's all I eat.
Speaker 1: You're annoyingly healthy with your with your food because I don't make the same good choices that you do.
Speaker 3: You know a baddie. I mean you throw some fried chicken on top of a salad type of I mean that sounds crazy, but you have it. I don't think you're a terrible eating with us. We just don't incorporate a lot of sugar, a lot of bread. And there's no pasta like, no pasta, no. And I don't like a potato of any kind on eat French fries. I just it's not my work. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know everyone's looking at you like wow, who is this person.
Speaker 3: But the thing is it is not a matter of being disciplined, is a matter of having habits. And I was in college and I played ball for a couple of years in the program at the University of Arkansas, and they had us on a particular diet. We're the only carbs I got in life. They handed to me from a refrigerator full of this liquid and say, here, that was my car So I got into a habit of eating a certain way. So I don't even cross my mind to want a French fry or a baked potato or let's go get pasta tonight. It just it's it's a routine into habit now. So more so for me, it's just of just how I am.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah, it's amazing to witness. I mean, he really doesn't. I mean I am the opposite. I mean I don't do the sugar thing. I was keto for about I mean really strictly keto for about five years, even longer. And I've let some carbs back in my life just because of all of the training with running. It's hard not to have some carbs. But we don't do bread, we don't French fries are my Achilles heel. And yes, chicken nuggets that I like to put into the air fryer, so I feel like they're slightly healthier if I cook them that way, and then I put them on spinach and you know, healthy things, and so that's how I justify. But yes, and I don't think we eat a lot. I think that's another thing, like we don't eat a lot and we don't have.
Speaker 3: A lot of meals. I don't know how. I think it was more the work routine I got into with are you getting up that earth? I just missed. I mean we were so busy at times. Sometimes it could be two in the afternoon and you go, wait a minute, did I eat it? You honestly don't even feel hungry. And I think intermittent fasting. I can't explain a lot of the health benefits, but I kind of fell into doing it, and I think it may be beneficial.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't eaten anything today yet, have you?
Speaker 3: I have not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean that's that's usually how I roll as well. All right, So thank you Lima being cast role. That was fun. Christa wants to know if we are still drinking beer after our morning runs now that it's not dry January.
Speaker 3: I don't think you have a single time. And I did once and I hated it. Yep, and here we are where a month is almost out and it's just again. You get into a routine, you get into different habits. And I even forced myself. I didn't really want one, I just let me try it out. I indeed I haven't had another one.
Speaker 1: I just didn't taste did you, I saw you do.
Speaker 3: It just didn't taste good. Yeah, there you go with.
Speaker 1: The habits, right, we created a really good habit. So no, Krista, we are not drinking beer after our morning runs anymore. Pat wants to know how many times a week we were running. I think we covered that. It's gotten less. Yes, it was fun though I did enjoy doing it for one month. I think I'm going to do that next January as well.
Speaker 3: I think we're going to pick it right back up. I think. Ye last week, which is a weird week for a bunch of reasons, the kids are out of school, one is traveling, and yeah, being was all over the place, and yeah, I think, well I will get right back on the streak. I would bet.
Speaker 1: I loved how I felt just doing the two much. It felt like at least if everything else went to hell that day, at least you accomplished something that was good. That's how I looked at it, all right. Kristin wants to know what's on our vision board for the year. I don't know. Do you know, Emma? Do you know? Andrew?
Speaker 2: It's essentially visuals that you can plan ahead of a year, ahead of a month, and they just kind of help you focus on what you're trying to achieve.
Speaker 1: So do you actually cut out pictures and put them up on a board or you.
Speaker 2: Can make it digital, or you can use words of inspiration, but it kind of like zones your mind and on what you're focusing.
Speaker 3: Have you done this? Do you have one?
Speaker 2: I use Pinterest as like a vision board like fashion.
Speaker 3: I don't know what's an example, what would you put on a bit like I wouldn't even know for me. What would you could.
Speaker 2: Put like running goals like a marathon destination?
Speaker 1: Okay, oh that's cool, all right. It's just another way of saying, what are your goals for the year? Basically, but you visualize it and maybe manifest it that way. All right? So yeah, I mean, definitely a marathon is online for sure, probably New York. We were talking. We're throwing around Chicago yesterday as a possibility, and one of these days I do want to do London, but I've missed the book for this year because it's in April. That's on my vision board, and I just think just better, I just I want to. I just always trying to be a better eater, a better person, a better mom, like all those things. But I think the only one I could put up there would be a marathon, for sure. How about you?
Speaker 3: I yes, after just yesterday spending time with your cousins, I think Chicago might go up on the board today for me to pull off running those two marathons at about a month apart, Chicago and New York. So that might be on my board now. I think I didn't realize it would have been. But I feel great when we talked about George January. Just I've gotten into a longer routine of cutting back on drinking that I probably ever have in years previous, So that is actually great. Sabine stays on my vision board. I'm actually trying to get her into running. I'm leaving here today and picking her up some new running shoes, some new balance, yeah, and I got some relationship goals. I guess I would put up on that board as well. Maybe both the visual will be I don't know, a little chapel or something.
Speaker 1: Come on your co everybody got like really.
Speaker 3: Quiet call in my call you too.
Speaker 1: You know it's funny. Is Carmen Carmen not a question for us? She just said she just wants us to get married.
Speaker 3: Isn't the time of our commercer.
Speaker 1: B Yeah, and welcome back to the podcast. Uh So, last week I got a text from my mom on Thursday, I think, and she sent me a link to a story that made my jaw drop And there was some connections and that's why she sent it to me. To the University of Georgia and running two things that I love. I love my alma mater and I obviously we both love to run. And this awful story about Laken Hope Riley, who was murdered while she was running last week on a a in an area that I know all too well. At the University of Georgia. She attended UGA through the spring of twenty twenty three, and then she was going to nursing school at Augusta University College, which the campus is there in Athens, but she still was participating in Uga activities, so she was there on campus. And you know, it's so hard for me to read the story because she did everything right. You know, we talk about these stories when you're a runner, and you're a woman, especially, you get this pit in your stomach when you hear about someone suffering any kind of harm when they're just doing something to improve their life and improve their body, feel the freedom of your own fitness, and it's just so just heartrending to hear these types of stories. But she did everything right. It was in the morning. She was on a trail that was next to the intramural fields there at Uga where lots of games and activities are going on now. She was on a wooded path, and you know those are always a little scary. I think sometimes when I've done it, I think maybe this is done. But you never think it's going to happen to you. She told her friends where she was going. She always wore her Apple Watch, where I had her location on her phone. She had her friends who could see her location. And then when she didn't come back when she normally would have her friend immediately called police. So you just look at everything that happened and you just feel sick because she did everything right and still the unthinkable happened. And you know, it's just a story that shook me because it's always a reminder as a runner, and as a female runner, what's out there potentially. But then this story, as I was following along, just took a turn. And these are the stories that are tough because you've got a victim, you've got the victim's family, you've got real pain and real tragedy. And then some stories get politicized, and this is one of them. I know you've been reading up on it as well, TJ.
Speaker 3: I mean, the look the politics of it are not going to touch that, but it's there. There have been a lot of names, is that some people even remember, because maybe Molly Tippets might be the first one that comes to mind out of Iowa. She was twenty eighteen, maybe, But they are not that frequent, but when they happen, they get a lot of attention, and they are always reminders, and people argue that we're having the wrong conversation and we're directing it to the wrong group of folks. Like we're directing it to women what they're doing right and what they're doing wrong. If you want to go outside whenever you want to run, at any time a day or night, you should be able to be safe in doing it. And there's not enough talk and the direction of the penalties for what a lot of times stalking these women, preying on these women, but oftentimes there are just crimes of opportunity. So ha, you do everything right and everything still goes wrong. It is a tall It's always should be a reminder. But that's a tough one. In the debate over this conversation, we've continued.
Speaker 1: To yeh yeah, and the one of the conversations has been yes, to put the onus on the woman is unfair. But the reality is when you when you are a woman and you are a runner, you do, but people like you shouldn't dress a certain way, you should never be alone, you shouldn't wear you know, headphones or air pods or air buds, all of those things you know can can increase your chances of staying safe. But this is one of those things that really really shook me and I I know, and I just wanted to to say something to her family, just just how awful it is and how much our hearts are with her and everyone in that campus, because everyone described her as just you know this she was going to be a nurse. I mean, we know nurses are some of the greatest people on the planet. They are you know, people who are there to take care of each other and to take care of one another, and so just for this to happ into her is just really really really outrageous. But for me, and I know you didn't want to touch the politics, but I think what bothered me now is you've got this real tragedy. And by the way, police, you know, caught the man right away. There were cameras to the University of George's credit, there are security cameras all around campus, and so they were able to identify and actually you know, see the person who committed this crime and were able to arrest him almost immediately, very quickly. The problem is the man who was arrested is an undocumented migrant, and so now in a presidential year where everyone's pointing the fingers and trying to get you know, attention for their causes, this has now become a political firestorm. And so we've seen these types of things happen where you have a you know, a personal tragedy and it becomes this political lightning rod. And so it's just been tough to watch all the back and forth and the finger pointing, and then there's the concern of backlash in the Latino community. So I was just reading up on this and just just wanted to express my frustration at just how certain stories are politicized. And we see it happen all the time, but in newsrooms there's always been a question as to how to cover it, when to cover it, and who to cover, Who's who's speaking the loudest, and who has a good point to make. But it's just been it's been a tough situation to read and to hear. And the funeral is this week. I know that there is a visual today too at the University of Georgia campus. But just a reminder to everyone out there about just checking in with friends and making sure that you do everything you can to protect yourself when you when you go out on a run. I do think unfortunately the onus is on women. You know, I have been out with you and I've wanted to you know, we've gone on a run and I'm like, I can't run, it's it's dark and I'm alone, and so we just you know, it's one of those things where you have to make certain choices as a runner, but it's this is just a difficult, difficult story for everyone involved.
Speaker 3: So the honest is on, please mind you. There's no anybody I care about that's going out on a run on her own that I wouldn't say, make sure you're not covering your ears, make sure you dress. Yes, I would, I absolutely, And I think we all should take responsibility for make sure we do all we can to protect ourselves. I think the debate it's Adidas who's done some great work on this. That survey they put out that ninety two percent of women in their survey, ninety two percent said that they actually do feel unsafe or have taken measures to protect themselves. A forty percent said they actually have been either verbally or physically harassed out in the run. But the thing that got me was sixty two percent of men acknowledged that, yes, this is a problem for women, but then only eighteen percent of the men felt like the onus was on the men to help in the costs. They put it solely on the women to protect themselves. And that was a striking number to hear how much men feel we are removed from responsibility in helping and making sure that women are safe out there when they're running alone. But look up Ridiculous Run if you can. Did you see that video from Adidas. It's called Ridiculous Run and it's short, but it shows women running at night and they're running, but there's two cars with their headlights on behind them. There's a motorcycle on each side. There's somebody riding the horse. They're showing that this is how ridiculous it is for a woman to feel safe while she's running. Wow, and it is ridiculous. But it's just to your point. To that young lady on campus. Again, it doesn't happen a lot, but Sydney Sutherland and Arkansas, same thing happened to her. Eliza Fletcher, the teacher out of Memphis in twenty twenty two. A lot of people will remember this happens, but it's just the crimes of opportunity. So I wouldn't let you. I mean, I do it stupidly, and I've been criticized over the oh I say criticized, but I could run it too in the morning.
Speaker 1: Three you do I run with you at three o'clock when we're only with you at three o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 3: That's dumb as a guy. You shouldn't. I mean, I got doesn't do like Holy hell. But you also know something I always do. I run with one AirPod in. I want to always be aware of what's around me day or night, who I'm with. I always do that tell I do on the subway here in New York. And I think that what are the things they tell women to do? That something? The hair? Are you supposed to keep it up right?
Speaker 1: So you can't be if you have a ponytail, then someone can pull and grab and that has happened before. So yes, you're supposed to either have a hat on and have your hair tucked in so they okay.
Speaker 3: But the clothing is supposed to be tight and not loose. Yep, right, yep, same thing for exactly.
Speaker 1: It's crazy when you're getting dressed as a woman that you have to think about those things. But the more and more stories and unfortunately you know you say they are rare, and they are, of course, but when they do happen, it's it's so unnerving because these women aren't doing anything wrong. I mean, I think that's the thing that just I've never when I'm running, no matter what's going on in my life, like I'll get emotional about it. I feel free, I feel powerful. Even when I'm having a bad run, I still feel my own strength, and it's just for there's an emotional and physical connection to running, and as a woman to be able sometimes to go out and do it on your own feels so empowering.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I don't run alone that much because these types of stories do scare me into not wanting to do that. Picking the time of day I run, picking where I run. Here in New York City, there's so many people around. I don't really ever feel nervous. I would on the West Side Highway, you know, before it turns light outside, I would be nervous. And I have run there with you and then with some girlfriends. But even with my two girlfriends, I went running like at six am one morning before maybe even five point thirty, and it was I felt I felt nervous even with two girlfriends next to me. So it is something that we always have to think about. I'm curious because you said that you I mean, I know you only run with one AirPod because you want to be aware, which is so smart. And I have done that a couple of times too. But when I'm with you, I do feel safe, so I don't feel as the onus is on me to not do that. But have you ever felt unsafe when you're running, you know what? Not?
Speaker 3: I think in other cities. I used to travel around a lot for work and have to get up in the morning and running at four or five, and there's some places you don't want to get stuck in certain cities, and I've done that, and I've felt unsafe and even stupid for running. Here in the ark, I think, I know you know the route so well, and I don't do it as much anymore, but just know the routes and so familiar that I don't usually feel unsafe, and I can understand. I can be out sometimes and there's just there might be a lone woman that I'm running up behind, or she's coming towards me. I will go out of my way to adjust myself in a certain way to make sure she feels comfortable. I never run up, but we might be running in the right lane I will distance myself and I'm about to pass her to make sure I don't sneak up on her or scare her or who knows where that comes from, and why if that's considered, if that's necessary. But I think about that all the time when I am out there running and there's no way. You told me you were getting up at five am, and I'm going to go take a run somewhere on the west anywhere in New York. But I would say, okay, I see in a little bit, no way.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because and I appreciate that my mom, and I think she feels good now that I have you as a running buddy, because I've been running since I was in my twenties. But I did I did stupid things when I was younger. And I say stupid just that you put yourself in a category where something could happen. Where I did run on wooded paths by myself. I did it upstate. I did it in Washington, d C. Along the Potomac, and I loved that feeling of being in the woods and being alone and running. But then you know, you start to hear these stories and it's just it's it's too much of a gamble, too much of a risk to put yourself in. But I will say it's one. It was one of my favorite things to do was to run in the woods like that. But you know, you hear that, and it's you know, we love our horror movies, and so you just start to think, you know what, you know, the chances are slim, but I'm definitely in increasing my chances of something happening if I do this. So you just change your route and change your path. But it's funny when you mentioned traveling for work, I'd be alone, you know, and in smaller cities. I remember the most afraid I ever was was in Nebraska when I was I was running and there was no one in sight, and all of a sudden, someone's coming towards me. I'm on these train tracks and you just think, what am I doing? This isn't worth it. So it's just it's another reminder that unfortunately, as women, we have to we have to put ourselves in a different category in terms of preparation. I'm curious you always run behind me. Is that strategic on your part?
Speaker 3: That's a mind game I'm playing, it really is. It's because if you're running behind me. I will end up running at my pace, and which is a pace that might be a little.
Speaker 1: Quick for I will never see you again. You'll become a distant dot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because just like and I get it. Because when I run, when I'm behind you, you running for five miles. I could have collapsed five miles ago. You wouldn't know it because you don't ever look back.
Speaker 1: I do look back. I do. I do. Sometimes you don't look back.
Speaker 3: It's okay. And when I get that, when I have at times led us in the runs, I don't look back.
Speaker 1: There have been times and we've gotten lost and separated because you've gone ahead and I can't catch up.
Speaker 3: Yes, so that is the strategy. That's not a safety strategy. That's why.
Speaker 1: The funny thing is everyone always because I ran first, or I was the I was the long distance runner before TJ, so everyone assumes that I'm the faster one or that I'm the stronger one. That is hilarious. You. I would love to see what your pr would be if you didn't choose to stay back with me.
Speaker 3: We may never know, because I still I appreciate I would. I would rather have a part in running than a pr in running, So that's not that's a non issue, and that's that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: That's very sweet.
Speaker 3: Oh but seriously, I could have done that plenty of time. Could have I could have kept going in this last New York City marathon while you were up chucking on the side of the road.
Speaker 1: Well we can we can talk a little bit about that after the break. How about that, right, It's a good tease and welcome back everyone, And I wanted to stay on the running thing because I just want to just talk about what an amazing part of life it can be. And no one should be deterred from any headlines that are out there about violence against women running and it's it's a reality, and it's it's a possibility, but it shouldn't deter you from from what you love. And this has been such an integral part of my life and such a big part of who I am and and honestly, like even my friends, like my friend group has been has evolved because of running, and that's a cool thing to be able to have a shared experience like that. I know you and I definitely grew closer closer because of running.
Speaker 3: M oh, there's no question about that, But yeah, you were what's the right word pestering, annoyance.
Speaker 1: Pressure, I put a lot of pressure on it.
Speaker 3: That was a nicer word, That was a nicer way to put it. But no, no, I was I was run. You got me into being a runner, not just running for exercise. I am a runner now because of you and all those training runs. And look, everybody's going through something in life. I was going through something in life. You were going through something, and running got us both both through a lot of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One of the questions that I got from the aforementioned DM was how did you start running? And why do you keep running? How did you? I don't even know the answer to this. How did you or when did you start running?
Speaker 3: Uh? It was just a matter of you, I mean, being around you and seeing you every day. Like you don't have to necessarily always say that. You don't have to come up with the right words to motivate somebody. Just lead by example and they will end up motivating themselves. And I was around you enough to see what you were doing and got curious about it, got curious about how I could push myself. And then once you start, you know, you go out for the first time today anybody, and all right, I'm gonna run a mile. You time yourself running a mile, and then time yourself again tomorrow, and then do it the next day, and then do it the next day. And what you're gonna find yourself doing is man, I can do better, I can do faster. And then what you're gonna find yourself doing next is man, I could do two today, and then the next thing is, oh, you know, I'm gonna go for three. And the next thing you say, well, you know where there's a five k happening locally, I'll enter. And that's how it got going for me. It was just keeping up with it and timing and challenging, and that's how I fell into it.
Speaker 1: But your first official race was a half marathon.
Speaker 3: Correct, Uh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty impressive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, new York City half of the Brook, the.
Speaker 1: New York City half. And then you know, people people always ask me because I think I got into running because my dad was a runner and I always saw him running, and I thought it's free. I didn't have a lot of money, I couldn't join a gym, and so I thought, well, I'm gonna do what he does. But what I think the biggest intimidation is getting started and that first mile, like if you haven't like running is not like riding a bicycle. Once you've done it, you can just keep doing it. If you stop or you don't stay in a pattern or a habit of it, it sucks when you start back up again because your body does not have muscle memory. It's like, what is this crap that you are putting me through right now? So my big thing was to just start with and someone told me this and I loved it. To start with a time, not a mile, so you don't feel like, oh, I didn't get a mile in or I didn't get two miles in. But to say I'm going to run for ten minutes, I'll see how far I get. And then the next day you just add a minute. And if you kind of give yourself that grace of just incrementally increasing the time that you're running, you'll find that it gets easier. And it does get easier. That's why I think maybe running every day for us not only was it great because I felt like I accomplished something, but you just are always feeling like you've got a fitness level where you can take it to the next level if you so choose.
Speaker 3: And you maybe think of something now. The timing is how I before I started running with you, I would do. There's a particular light post on the corner at the end of Broadway, just past the Wall Street Bull downtown. That's what I'm saying, as that's specific. I would start at that, I literally touch that light post, take off running and go past this little spot that's right up behind Brookville Place. Mall touch that and come back.
Speaker 1: You touched it.
Speaker 3: I would always physically boom, come to the next one, boom, touch and turn around and go. And I was timing myself and doing that around fourteen minutes, and I kept doing it and getting the time down, down, down, down down. So to your point about the advice you got about running, it didn't have to be about distance. It can be about time. That's how I first started getting into it. So if that trick will help anybody else run the same route of any kind you want to, but time yourself doing it, and you'll start to challenge yourself about getting the time.
Speaker 1: Downe that's so cute. I didn't know that story. I love that. The other thing that I think it's so overwhelming is just look your body. Everything in your mind tells you stop. This is awful. But I think the biggest problem I did, I made, and I think most people do, is that we run too fast, like you think you're supposed to be in a race or running you know, at full speed. If you slow it way down, it's so much more enjoyable and then you can build this speed. But if you're if you're uncomfortable, you should slow down, like I think people think somehow it's it's not good enough or you're not really running. We pass people all the time who are you might say, barely running, but you're in my mind, I'm looking at them and I'm thinking, good for them. Way to go, oh, way to get out there and do it anyway, even if something hurts or you're not you know, speedy Gonzalez, as long as you're just taking one step in front of the other. And another thing is it's okay to walk, Like how many times in races do we see people walking They still completed the marathon they or the half marathon or whatever race you're in. So like walk up the hill, run down the hill, walk for two minutes, run for one minute, but you're still out there getting it done. I think a lot of people just feel like, well, if I can't do it this well or I can't feel good, then I'm not doing it at all, and it gets discouraging. So I just want to encourage people. It doesn't matter how far you go, even how long you go, if you're walking and running at the same time, it's about getting out there and improving yourself and then little by little you'll be surprised at how your body responds. I mean, I think that's a huge thing. Like I never thought. I used to always say there's no way I could ever run a marathon ever. And my dad had run three, and he started in his fifties, by the way, so it's never too late to say. I want to say that much. He started running marathons in his fifties. My first marathon, I think I was forty five. So when I first did, I don't know if I've told the story. My first half marathon, I wouldn't even fully commit to. I said, I'll run half of the half marathon, I'll do a relay with my friend, and so doing that like just giving myself kind of signing up for it and doing it anyway, and then realizing I was stronger than I think. Isn't that something that we're all always looking to do to realize that we're stronger than we think? And I I just wanted to do it. Like just seeing so many of the questions you all sent were about running. It just got me thinking about just encouraging folks to just get started and just putting one foot in front of the other, and all these little tricks that we play. I mean, whether it's I listened to podcasts, listen to audio books. Music gets old after a while, but just having a friend to talk to. We had a talking run the other day.
Speaker 3: Uh one, not of eight hundred runs we've gone on.
Speaker 1: We talked, Yes, how did that run compare?
Speaker 3: I prefer because it makes the time go by. I realize this with I think we've told this Matt James. The first time I ever went for a run and had a conversation, he introduced me, like guys going the golf course in golf and have a business meeting, you can do the same thing while you're running. And he challenged me to well, he can challenge me. He said, hey, yeah, we can catch up while we're running. Five miles, What the what? And then I went out there and did it. And that's when you realize, oh, hell, I am in better shape than I thought. I am actually in a good place. And to you, to your point, you were just making the folks. You're always trying to push and challenge yourself and see what you are capable of. And that's the one thing about it I love. And now you talk about habits. You you get into the habit of running to the point where going two days without a run now feels like just blasphemous.
Speaker 1: It feels awful, right, Yeah, I mean I and I have to say too. We we talked about this, the treadmill thing. That has been tough.
Speaker 3: But I have gotten to best God.
Speaker 1: Who likes the treadmill? No one likes the treadmill.
Speaker 3: I think people mentally stronger than I am. It's a mine. It's totally a mind thing. Oh heays, like I can do the mind. That's not it at all. Obviously, you feel it'd be easier. You have a TV in front of you, you have all this, you're inside, the climate is controlled. You think it'd be an easier get me off this thing. And that was that I didn't We didn't break the streak that day, but that was one day that we were supposed to do an eight miler and I went downstairs on the treadmill. I got to four and said, to hell with this, and later on tried to get on the treadmill again to do the last four, got to two and said that with this.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it, but I think it's good for people to know that even someone who's run two marathons like yourself, can just say f this after two miles and quit right. I mean, I've had so many bad runs. I've had a lot of good runs, but I have had so many bad runs. I have cried and I'll just bring this back. So I've been struggling with nausea while running, which you've unfortunately been witnessed to, and.
Speaker 3: The law right away from it run in front of you or behind you. I'm getting it some way, but.
Speaker 1: I don't know if anyone else. I've been googling it. I would appreciate anyone who has any advice for me. But on the longer runs, I have been getting really, really nauseated, and to the point where TJ has seen me have to go off into the bushes. Or find a tree, and it happened in the New York City marathon. So lost I think at least maybe almost as much as ten minutes on our finished time because I was sick.
Speaker 3: I'm going to edit that piece of this podcast out and use it over and over because there's a part where there where you said TJ has seen me go behind the bushes or behind a tree. I just want to use that audio clip or how I had to pee in the future for yes, what you were saying, I get it.
Speaker 1: But here's something I think I've discovered it. I can't wait to try it out. I'm going to try it out of the half marathon. I have realized I always thought that I needed coffee in the morning because I'm a big coffee drinker before the run to kind of like jump start my metabolism get my body ready to go for the run. But I've stopped drinking it before a run, and so far I want to knock on wood. I have seen an improvement and that kind of makes sense. So I think the biggest challenge when you're doing these long distance ones is figuring out how to fuel, what to eat, and for me, how not to get sick.
Speaker 3: When I'm which benefits a lot of us.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and I do feel bad when my when I'm yucking. You're young?
Speaker 3: How does that apply here?
Speaker 1: Well, you're enjoying your run and then I yuck it up. By ah, there we go, by yak.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's fine, yucky young, by yaking.
Speaker 1: Okay, we haven't run today yet.
Speaker 3: Sorry, we'll get in. What if we don't? Not gonna beat myself up a bout, but I'm gonna. I'm going to try to, but I don't know if I can. I'll be busy celebrating Black History Monk, which is wrapping up here soon.
Speaker 2: And on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, happy, No, we should just encourage everyone to enjoy the rest of February, this lovely twenty nine day month this year around, Yes.
Speaker 3: And love to I hate the handle, not a down note, but your campus. They're just that whole community down there in Athens we talk about and I love the thing here. I'll want to say her full name every time, Lincoln Hope Riley. I love her name. That got so much attention. But the day before they're on the university campus, a young man, Wyatt Banks freshmen died by suicides and was found there in a dorm on campus. So back to back days, to have something like that happen. We've been on campuses that it really shakes the community to have anything traumatic like that happened. To have it back to back days, it's just kind of unthinkable. So it's unthinkable. So your home campus there sort of your hearts go out to.
Speaker 1: Them, sending love to everyone there in Athens and everyone who loved both of those incredible students. And I know, like I said, there's a vigil today for both of them, honestly to be honored and by the people who loved them and celebrated they lived. And and you know, the only way these we've covered these types of tragedies, there's there's no easy way. There's there's no you know, it's hard to even say there's a silver lining because it's it's so tragic. It's it's so awful to have two young people gone by the age of twenty two. It's it's really unthinkable for their families and friends. But seeing everyone come together and honor how they lived and just remembering to hug one another, to to love one another, to be grateful for the time we do have here, it's a game changer in just how you approach how you live each day and the choices you make and what you say to people and how you treat people. So I just I hope that there's some hope out there about how to live better and how to live differently. But we just want to, yeah, send our love and our support to the University of Georgia. Go dogs, and thanks for listening Themation the patan thecation puts the bats