Speaker 1: It is the sixty seventh training camp in franchise history, the sixteenth in Saint Joseph, Missouri and the campus of Missouri Western State University. The fourteenth training camp under Andy Reid that ties as long as he was in Philadelphia. We are camping in Saint Joseph and it's brought to you by this Defending the Kingdom, brought to you by the sponsors of Training Camp, Mosaic Life Care, the proud presenting sponsor of Chief Training Camp. Homes in the Pocket will step up, You'll scrabble ten for the Hoods Diving Touchdown Chansas City. Tenex dot AI is the official cybersecurity partner of the Kansas City Chiefs. In this city, we know that championship success starts with defense. Tenex dot ai is the AI security operations provider, protecting organizations from cybersecurity attacks at machine speed with human analysts on the loop. Twenty four to seven experienced cybersecurity that is AIS it even human led united against every threat. Visit ten x dot ai for details and welcome to this edition of Defending the Kingdom. It's some of our favorite dtks. When we're here in Saint Joseph and you and I have been here a week now, ever since the rookies, quarterbacks and injured players were got a head start on everything. Your reactions so far at camp.
Speaker 2: We could almost do like an ASMR of like the lawnmower in the background, the bullhorn. You know we're back up here. You can hear it the win going up against our microphones. It's great being back out here. We talked about it on our last DTK. But this has been a long off season in terms of time. It's been a good one, I think, and in terms of the guys getting rejuvenated for this year and getting healthy and everything. But it's been a long time since we talked about meaningful football and we're not used to that.
Speaker 3: In Chief Kingdom.
Speaker 2: We're used to playing for super Bowls, and I think we have a great chance to play for a super Bowl here this year after what we've seen, because the guys have a certain hunger to him. And one thing I talked about on our live stream it stood out to me when Coach Reed spoke the other day. There's a conditioning test that happens every single training camp.
Speaker 3: It's super old school.
Speaker 2: It's like you're back in high school, just running sprints back and forth. Everyone does it to make sure that they're ready and conditioned for training camp for the football season. It's kind of like a way of coach read of making sure the guys stay in shape during that time they have oft in the summer. Hey, this is coming well, he said, and his tenure as chiefs head coach. This was the best conditioning test he's ever seen. And that says a lot. Right there shows the hunger of this team, the energy that we're feeling in this camp, and so far we're only on day three, but I think it has translated to the practices.
Speaker 1: Interesting point. A couple of reasons I think that is. One is the elongated off season. Rick Berkholder told us during the mandatory mini camp that the several players on this team actually postponed surgeries for a couple of years because of the run to try to win three Super Bowls in a row and then to try to get back in a fourth year, and so the rubber band kind of snapped. But part of the energy here is feeling that there was an elongated offseason compared to what we've had over the past five to seven years. But I think two, there is a way that coach read and it's amazing how he approaches it scientifically. This team basically conditions all year long. There's a tempo to OTAs and we talk about it on defending the Kingdom that no other team in the league has. I remember I saw Kenneth Walker had one of the first OTAs. I go, You're good. He's like, dude, like this is an ota. What's camp going to be? Like? Well, so it's a conditioning that goes really all year long. And then the last session of mandatory mini camp is they run gassers. You talk about old school. That's what made me think of this. This is old school Marine Corps training. But coach once he goes have this feeling, you know, you got three weeks to get away. Don't let your body get crazy because when we go to Saint Joseph, we're going to start with this, and so I think all those things come to fruition. But it's all contrived. It's not by mistake or coincidence.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 2: And we're part of this ramp up period right now where the very first practice a few days ago was was shorter.
Speaker 3: Not a whole lot happen.
Speaker 2: But you go through the motions of everything, but every day you kind of build on it a little bit. And we haven't had a padded practice yet. We'll have our first one next week August third, I think is around there. We'll have our first padded practice and then we'll ramp up to like two hour and thirty minute practices in the heat and doing these back to back to back. That's what we're ramping up to right now. But there's a method behind all of it, and Coach reads the very best at organizing these camps and figuring out how to get the best out of the guys. And I think so far what's excited me is how a lot of our young and new players have totally bought into this. It's twenty twenty six. It'd be super easy for these professional athletes to be like, what are we doing up on a college football field an hour from Kansas City in the heat, and no one's done that. It's all buy in because they know what the culture is like here. And I think that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And what we've seen so far, the most asked question in the Northern Hemisphere has been what about Patrick Mahomes? Will he be ready to play Week one? Against the Broncos on Monday Night Football. If you've been a Kingdom defender over the past four or five months, you know we've kind of tried to walk you through this path, and we have seen Patrick be ahead of schedule, ahead of schedule. Nobody's even really kind of thinking about it here. He's that far ahead of schedule. One thing we wanted to watch was would he do eleven on eleven work right away? He has no. We're not in pads yet. Matt mentioned it to you. We won't be until next Monday, but that'll be the next step. But he's been out there with eleven on eleven doing basically everything, and we've seen him do Patrick Mahomes things you forget. You had to remind me go, you know seven months ago, seven months ago he had ACL surgery. I was just you just see him. He's doing everything he's always done.
Speaker 2: He ran a speed option yesterday during eleven on eleven. It's one of those things where it was amazing, but we're also kind of like, oh god, no, but it shows where he is in his rehab. He's able to do Patrick Mahomes things. Like you said, the speed option is awesome, but there was also a play earlier in yesterday's practice where he was maneuvering in the pocket. I mean there was defenders flying all over the place and he was able to move around the pocket with his agility from side to side like Patrick Mahomes does, and he eventually found Jalen Royal's open down the field. That's one of the things that makes Patrick so special is his ability to buy time in the pocket. And when you have an ACL injury, you wonder will that still be there? I can report, yes, it's still there. We saw it on day two of training camp up here. It says everything about him. I talked about this at length on our live stream. But one area, or one metaphor I'm using is he's attacking his rehab like it's the fourth quarter of a Super Bowl and he has to go down there and score. And there should be no surprise here that he's attacking every single day with that same veracity because he's Patrick Mahomes. So just like you expect Mahomes to get the job done when there's two minutes on the clock and you're down six and he has the football, when you know he has a certain amount of time to get ready for the season, He's going to make sure he's ready. I mean, the guy was in the building for six or seven hours a day every day working immediately after this happened. Wasn't feeling sorry for himself, wasn't saying why this happened to me. He was working getting ready for this year. And we're seeing that payoff so far with him being fully cleared for practice before training camp began, and he's participated in every eleven on eleven segment he's been asked to participate in. It's just really exciting and he's not just out there. He looks like Patrick.
Speaker 1: Mahomes When I see her, I'm going to ask for a fist pump, because we all need to applaud Britney Mahomes here when you think about three kids and Patrick loves those kids love to be around him. But he's he had to spend extra time in rehab in the off season, so to speak. And so your point about attacking it and going seven hours in a clip the other thing we need to He's surrounded by so many great people on his own team, but then also Julie Fremeyer and others in Rick Burkholder's staff have worked their tails off to get Patrick ready. To this point, you talked about the play where he had to adjust to actually go right and left on the same play in a tight space. There was two plays yesterday. One I must give the the ladder first, and it was a basically a great blitz call by Steve SPAGNOLDA one's on one and it's ends up being cover zero, which is manned to man all over the field. Pat reads it like he usually does. He loves cover zero because he has most of the fifty three yard width of the field to throw somebody open. And he just three perfect Patrick Mahomes pass for a fifty yard touchdown to Xavier Worthy against decent coverage. And so I saw that. I'm like, okay, let's go.
Speaker 2: And that was exciting for more reasons than one. Because the deep ball is an area that we know we have to get better, and to see it work beautifully like it did there was exciting.
Speaker 1: And teams will I think they'll blitz. So we've seen so many two deep safety things, but now because of Pat's injury, I think there will be an inclination like, well, let's throw him and let's throw the kitchen sink at him, because he's not has his normal game, and I think that's where all shock opponents.
Speaker 3: And the other way.
Speaker 2: And if they do that, the screen game is something that we've been watching up here that's been working magnificently so far.
Speaker 1: Leads to the second point. And the second point is ken Walker is different. Yeah, K nine is different, And there was a screenplay. You segue it nicely here. Fifty yard screen would have been a touchdown. Some places are going, oh, that, there's a nice game, but wouldn't have been a touchdown. No, this would have been a touchdown. I went back and reviewed the video. It was so well blocked in time. But then K nine would have taken a fifteen yard play and made it a fifty yard touchdown. There's a reason he's a Super Bowl MVP. But we're getting more here than even thought we were going to get, and in this offensive system. I had a chance to talk with him and he said, I've never been in a system like this now. At Michigan State he was a high school wide receiver. And I said, what about throwing you the ball? He goes, Guy, I love it, but what it reminds me of, No, I want to get too far ahead of myself was Kareem Hunter's rookie year in twenty seventeen, and he's even a better version of that. But we talk about the run game, but the passing game, the screen game, the deep ball game. We saw him run an angle route today for a touchdown in the red zone. Nothing against the running backs. We've had, love those guys, all of them, but Ken Walker's different.
Speaker 2: We haven't had the running back position involved in the passing game like we might now since Jerick McKinnon was here. So Jack McKennon was such a weapon in this offense out of the backfield, not just as a runner but also as a receiver. We might have that again now, not just with Walker, I think with the other guys as well, guys like Amrio Demarcado, Brischard Smith and Emmett Johnson. But Walker particularly, I mean, obviously, on paper, you get excited. He has these thousand yard seasons, he's a Super Bowl MVP, he has a track record.
Speaker 3: You know, he's a guy.
Speaker 2: He comes in here and we know he's supposed to be like a top five, top ten NFL running back, But to actually see it and see it transpire within our offense is so exciting.
Speaker 3: Because we knew we had to get better there at running back.
Speaker 2: We've said it over and over on this podcast that we needed an explosive running game this year after what we had last season, and we have that with a running back room, and especially with ken Walker. His contact balance really stands out to me. There was a couple of days ago where he caught a quick passing the flat and it wasn't particularly on target. He finds a way to contort his body, catch the ball, stay on his feet and get upfield. I mean, we just haven't had that recently. And yeah, the angle route today was impressive and the screen. The screen yesterday was one of those plays you write down and say that part of the Chiefs offense might be back, because when Jeric was here, a screen game was pivotal.
Speaker 3: It was critical to our offense.
Speaker 2: How many third and twenties did we have in twenty twenty two, twenty twenty three where the defense blitzes the house or whatever and Jack McKinnon's wide open for a quick screen goes off for thirty five yards. We end up scoring later on that drive. I think we might have that back here at ken Walker. It's more than just him being a great workhorse kind of running back who can bust a twenty yard gain on a traditional run up the middle. The screen game, I think is back, and that's super exciting for your Chiefs fan.
Speaker 1: I want to take your point, so will take it, but I'm gonna take it a step further because Jack McKinnon was really a third downish type back. So now you have Ken Walker who's a threat to do that on every down. Yeah, so now you're passing game to the running back, not just throw check downs or oh gosh, we just got to dump it off here, Actually contrived plays I don't think we've seen since coach Reid knew what he had in Kareem Hunt in twenty seventeen. Go back and watch the opening game against the Patriots and those passing plays because you're going to get me some mismatches. Now, you tell a defensive coordinator what are you going to do? What are you gonna do? You're gonna go light in the box because that's what we've seen. We've seen light boxes forever, and a light box meet you check to a run, you've got one more guy to block than they got to defend. Or are you're going to maybe come up and try to challenge. Well, then it's not just a blitz read on a zero cover zero blitz. It's a throw to a contriver route to a back at the second or third level. And it's something we wanted for a long time. So, yeah, we're excited about ken Walker, and yes, he's different. Plus he's acclimated to the culture here better than I even thought this early. On the defensive side, too, I think have we seen some encouraging signs And dealing with false narratives is one, because the one of the narratives around the league is, oh my gosh, the Chiefs are going to go at fifty points a game because every time the other team throws the ball it's a touchdown. We're seeing so different on her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are. We love the guys that we're here.
Speaker 2: Trent McDuffie, jaywhen Watson, Brian Cook, Joshua Williams. Those guys helped us win championships. I think it's still one of the greatest draft classes in NFL history, not just choose history of getting those guys in twenty twenty two, but I think because we've lost those big names, there is a national narrative out there that our secondary isn't very good, and I couldn't disagree with it more. I think we have a chance to actually be deeper in the secondary this year if the guys that we believe in and the potential that they have can come to fruition. Think about where we are at corner right now. I think we have four players right now that they can go out there and play outside corner for this team and you feel pretty good about it.
Speaker 3: Noel Williams is one of them.
Speaker 2: He's a guy that really kind of flashed at the end of last year, had an opportunity to play more when we were out of it, and made the most of that opportunity. He was great in OTA's and he's been good so far in this camp. Had an interception the other day in the red zone. Christian Fulton is a player that we brought in here last year thinking he was going to be a starter for us. We had some men stuff, but really Flash at the end of last season was really good and he's carried that into this camp. I think Christian Fulton is a player that I believe in. La Jerius Snead is back and we know what Lagerius can do, and of course monster delaying number six overall pick in the draft for a reason. He's in a non contact jersey right now, but he's making progress. Coach Reed said earlier today, he should take that off here pretty soon. You feel good about all four of those guys and the slot as well as an area I'm very excited about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crowded the slot. If you can find in archives, we did a live stream where we really broke down all of the nineteen defensive packs or dove into that area, so if you can find that. But the safety group too, in the fact that I think he'll be much much better. And again note casting no aspersions in the guys that we love and we'll see at reunions and hug but Alohi gilman Ad said his defense. I just talked to him after practice today. His intelligence, the ball finds him. He loves being in this defense. We know what Jayden Hicks can do. Then you look at putting Chamarry Connor back a place where I think he's more designed to have success, and so Spags is even alluded to that we got him back where he belongs. And then you mentioned this crowded group of guys that are all capable and even these safety corner combos Christian Royal Wallace comes to mind. But there's just more back there, and it's not just step. When we had twelve takeaways last year, you and I have talked about it to you can't you can't win in the NFL if you don't have more takeaways. And you've also got to get up the field in third down. Those two areas alone led to six and eleven, and I could just see that flipping, flipping the script real quickly.
Speaker 2: I mentioned that Noel Williams interception the other day, Well, the very next snap, Jamariy Connor had an interception. It's tricky up at training camp. We always jok around about it that whenever there's like an interception or a force fumble, the crowd kind of groans a little.
Speaker 3: Bit like ooh that play.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, we want the defense to find success too, and instances like that that is kind of a good thing where it's like, all right, the defense is executing the scheme the way it's supposed to be execute and then they're taking the ball away. We need more takeaways in twenty twenty six. That's obvious. So hopefully we can get that from our secondary, and so far we're seeing some of it. I mentioned the slot though. The reason I think it's so important is because of the Chamari element. Because we have multiple players I think that can fit into that slot role, guys like Chris Rowland, Wallace cater Cooho and Jaden Kennedy, and that lets Chamari play traditional safety where I think he's a really good player.
Speaker 3: I think about his.
Speaker 2: Rookie year, that interception over the middle against Josh Allen just plays like that. He's really good in open space like that, and it helps the entire team depth wise if you have more slot guys, because it opens him up to do other things. So that's a positive, and that's why I think this dB room has a chance to be even deeper than it was last year, even though we lost a bunch of our major contributors.
Speaker 1: And even if he's facing the play like his scoop and score against Cincinnati that same year, which really decided the game it did, and the fact that he was playing at a role where he in the slot many times, depending on the coverage, you're not necessarily backpedaling and have your shoulders looking at the play, You're turning your trying to stay with He was able to face that play, see it and make a play that was in front of him, not turning his shoulder and trying to stay with some guy running a four to three the defensive front. I'm encouraging about two. We'll get into more later on our next version, maybe from camp on defending the Gym. By the way, all of our dtks in our live streams from here in Saint Joseph. We're brought to you by Mosaic Life Care, the proud presenting partner of Chiefs Training Camp. As we close out this edition though, and we're narrow getting ready for pads coming up on Monday. But guys that have surprised you. You've already mentioned Noel Williams, and we'll go back and forth here. One that caught my eye he's been really it's gonna be interesting to watch is Xavier Wampa. He is a safety out of the University of Iowa. He wasn't even drafted, but at Iowa he kind of morphed into a role where he became a leader of that team. But it's about a three year process for him. I mentioned as four hundred and sixty six special team snaps. When we look at these guys and we don't talk about special teams enough. The Chiefs have got to get their swag back on special teams. At the least you flip fields. At least you affect the line of scrimmage or at least the starting field position. The second part of it is being explosive in the return game and coverage game. We have not had a kick or punt return since the COVID year of twenty twenty. Now is wampa. He's going to be a rank and file guy. Plus he's a local Guy's from Southeast Polk High School in East to Mooine. But all of a sudden, this guy's made this meteoric rise coming from being an undrafted free agent go away. Maybe he's a croc pod guy. Maybe I'll make the practice squad. I don't think it's far fetched to know here as we post this that he's not on the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you. I mean he has a great blend of size, speed and length. He's long and lengky see six two two thirteen runs a four four eight forty. Just a really nice athlete and I think he could definitely help us. He did media the other day, and I was kind of taken aback by how tall he was.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize he was that tall.
Speaker 2: And having a player with that speed and that athleticism but also that height at safety and on special teams is a big deal. So I'm with you on him. Another player kind of in that mold as Andrew Armstrong, a wide receiver. He was, I believe, on our practice squad towards the very end of last year.
Speaker 1: Pickup.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, he was a reserve future free agent that we signed like in January or February, So he went through the whole offseason training program with us, and now he's here and he's showing out. First of all, he has good measurables. He's six foot four, two hundred and ten pounds. Kind of an interesting career, started at a small school, ended up at Arkansas to wrap up his college career. But a good player who's showing out here. Made some plays, had some nice linkups with Justin Fields the other day on some nice throws. So Andrew Armstrong, number eighty five is a player to watch while you're up here.
Speaker 1: And I'll close with this one. And you know who he is, but he really has a chance to break through to be really good. And that's Kingsley's Mattia at left guard. He started at left tackle, tried to make him a tackle and that didn't go well. Most of you in the Chiefs Kingdom can go back and watch the video. But he's turning into potentially special guard. And when you throw that in, because every time Kingsley's been talked about a guard, Matt, even we've been, we do the same thing. We immediately tie it in to create Humphrey center and Tray Smith at right guard, and we should to some extent. These guys are pro bowlers, increads the best in the game right now. But Kingsley's worth a discussion in and of himself, even apart from Creed and Trey. In the fact that speed power we talked about K nine and the screen game, we talked about the power run game or the Run in eleven personnel type game, stretch game. Kingsley showed them the propensity to do all those things. He's rising. He is rising, Matt and he continues to rise.
Speaker 2: He'll also play this entire season at twenty three years old. We forget how young Kingsley is. And it's easy when a player doesn't find success right away, to write him off. Our coaching staff doesn't do that, and that's this is an example of why it's important not to do that, because he's obviously a very talented player.
Speaker 3: Didn't work out attack, well, let's see what you can do with guard.
Speaker 2: And he didn't mope or say no, I want to play tackle or it didn't go well.
Speaker 3: My rookie year. He said, let's figure this out.
Speaker 2: Let's attack this challenge, and I think he has a chance to turn into one of the better guards in the NFL. This is another misconception in general, is that our offensive line isn't very good. That's like a national thing that I keep hearing, and I don't really understand it, because I feel really good about our offensive line, particularly when it's healthy. You think left to right, you got Josh Simmons, you got Kingsley Creed, Humphrey Tray Smith. And then in an exciting battle right now at right tackle with probably three players in Jayalen Moore, Spole and Khalil Benson. Another player to know, undrafted free agent, a tryout player actually from Indiana who's looking good out here so far. But anyway, I feel good about our offensive line, and Kingsley is a big part of that. And it's a testament to our coaching staff and our player development staff that they can have a player like this didn't work out so well at one spot, Let's try him in here. And so far, I think it's been a major success. And I think he's only going to get better somewhere.
Speaker 1: He's going to get a Pro Bowl. Just I'm just predicting it, putting it out there. This for you is your tenth camp.
Speaker 3: This is Camp number ten.
Speaker 1: For me, Camp number ten. Man, how time flies. It's only my thirty third camp. But honestly, you feel like a rookie again every year. It's what I say to the rookies during the summertime. You really feel like a rookie in our cinder block freshman dorm man tend to take you back. Yeah, we're just camping. That's all we're doing here. And thanks to the folks at Mosaic, who is the official presenting partner of Chiefs Training Camp, we'll continue to camp on here and keep you updated. We want to make you feel like you're here every day. He's Matt McMullen. I'm Mitch Oltis just stay camping.