Speaker 1: Scrubbing In with Becca Tilly and Tanya rap An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello everybody, we are scrubbing in.
Speaker 3: TIS we are Tis his Tis Actually today is true is True, Truth's.
Speaker 2: Truth, trus Truth's because we have a very I guess I should say we have very special guests slurle coming in today. Easton really introduced us to the band that is Trusdale. That is correct.
Speaker 4: They're my favorite band right now. Over the last year, Okay, I listened to their album every single day, more than more than twenty two I'm sorry, more than Beach Boys, more than the Beach Boys, who I love Truesdale so much. I found them by searching Beach Boys covers on YouTube and I found them doing a cover of Wouldn't It Be Nice, which is a very hard song to sing, great song, and I was like, oh my god, who are these women. Their voices are better than the Wilson brothers. I have not heard voices like theirs in forever. I've never heard voices that good. So I went back and found their older stuff and I was like, Oh my god, they're so good.
Speaker 2: And You're like, we have to have them on the podcast.
Speaker 4: And I went and saw them live and they talk about how they produced their own music and they write their own songs and they do all this incredible stuff trying to be role models for women in the music industry.
Speaker 1: Women.
Speaker 4: I was like, Oh, we gotta get them on scrubbing in, get them in the ore and there.
Speaker 3: That is where they belong. Yes, and that is where they have come, and.
Speaker 2: That is where they have come. The Trusdale band themselves, It's Quinn, Georgia and Lauren and they're scrubbing in today. So everyone welcome Truesday. Can I just address you as Truesdale? Absolutely? Yes, We're so happy to have y'all. It's been a long time coming. Easton introduced us to your music. He is like such a glorious big fan. I listened to Out.
Speaker 4: Of my Mind your album every day on the way to work and the way from home from is not an exaggeration. It is a masterpiece.
Speaker 2: So when you introduced me, I obviously have started listening. And I, first of all, would you say that Out of my Mind is a breakup album? Oh? Not no, not intentionally.
Speaker 5: I feel like we had we collected a bunch of songs and a lot of them happened to be like breakup. I guess yea as two different breakups in my why not?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 2: Just yes?
Speaker 5: I think because it is just my experience the breakup, so I wouldn't say that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh yeah, I feel like we also end up happened like writing a lot of songs that sound like breakup songs, but like the person in question that you're being broken up with. I think we play a lot with it being like non human things like depression, anxiety, like just dealing with stress in your life, or even like a relationship with a parent or a friend. I think that there's so many different ways that you can feel grief in a relationship than a breakup. And I think that's kind of like where we all have our own meanings that we attached to the songs. I think let's talk about those meanings.
Speaker 2: It's to them a little more. So you all went to school together, right? But did are y'all all from southern California?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I grew up in Michigan.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I was born in upstate New York, but mostly from here.
Speaker 2: Okay, So y'all met at school though, Yeah, So as a musician, I know nothing about that couldn't be further from my life. You go into school wanting to be a singer, right, do you ever have this dream of it being with other people or do you go thinking I'm gonna be a solo artist. That's what I thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely never imagined myself in a band with like multiple singers.
Speaker 2: Yeah at all.
Speaker 5: Same, Yeah, I didn't even know what I wanted to be going there. It was more kind of for me it was like, oh, I I'll try this, and then going there was like the Yeah, I realized that I wanted to do that then and then we all met and then the rest is history.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think I always like, I've always enjoyed playing with other people, but yeah, I definitely didn't see myself like being in a band with two other singers. But then, honestly, it's funny looking back, I like really grew up listening to a lot of like Peter Paul, Mary from my.
Speaker 2: Mom and dad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I was like, oh, that makes sense, Like maybe the idea was like planted in me very young.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Georgia and I both grew up doing like musical theater and acappella. Yeah, so I feel like harmony was in our lives a lot too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and already like a lot of collaboration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like team vibe.
Speaker 3: That's the thing I feel like when you're in a group, like when you're when you're solo, every decision is your own. When you're a group, every decision is a group. So there's pros and cons. Definitely, how did I learn to like work together and like who gets the final say?
Speaker 1: I think we learned by failing a lot about that, you know, like learned from our mistakes with it, and we really try to have I mean it depends on how important the decision is. Sometimes it is like it needs to be a unanimous decision if it's really big, and then other times it depends on who feels really strongly about what we're talking about. And I think, yeah, we it's I don't know, like case by case basis of how we make decisions.
Speaker 2: I think it's definitely.
Speaker 6: It's definitely like I had something in my head and then I just completely forgot.
Speaker 2: It's like a team effort. I mean, like you're joining a team and it's like everyone's opinion is important and we have to at least come to some agreement on this because when I listened to the album, bad Blood is like the obvious start of the app Like, I'm like, did they write this ago? This has to start the album because as soon as this is it, here we go, We're going on a ride.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It feels like such an opener. It like it did yeah pretty early on.
Speaker 6: It's so funny too, because I think that was like one of the first songs that we wrote for the album yea, And it just so happened that, like on the writing trip where we wrote most of these songs, that was the first one, and then we had done like the NPR live sessions on YouTube, and then it came out and I think that just naturally kind of like wanted to be yeah, the first song.
Speaker 3: But I feel like we skipped a whole step because it was like, Okay, you guys went to school together and then we're talking about the album, but like, how did you guys form your formed three of you?
Speaker 2: Like, how did that process go? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well, we all did, I think after college, so we met, we started singing together. Laura and I had a songwriting class. We just quickly started to write together. We had like a writing connection. We wrote this song and then we they met in their dorm and then we were all on the same program also, so we immediately I remember the first time I heard both of them like do their thing, and I was like, oh, so blowing away. So we all have just so much respect for each other as people, as performers and writers arrangers. And then we had the song called Dory Meat, which is out. It's the first song that we ever wrote together, and Quinn came and we sang it together just like tapping our legs for our songwriting class in school. And then just the reaction of the class was like way, it was just really surprising to us all. It was like a really.
Speaker 2: Really loving, positive reaction.
Speaker 5: And then we're like, Okay, I guess there's something here. And then we kept writing and singing together throughout college. We had a lot of support from our professors, which I think also kept us going. And then after school we all did different things for a bit. We all like I did a solo priet for a while, Quinn worked on a cruise ship, Lauren worked on her solo project, and then we came together we started writing together again, and then it just it naturally. Then COVID happened and we started to record and Lauren got really into production, and that's kind of how we entered into like officially doing Truesdale. And then after that did well, we all kind of committed to doing it full time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and where did the name? That was my question?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, so it comes from the name of a street that runs through campus of our university, yone Parkway. We were sitting on the lawn trying to think of names. We were very concerned about it being a name that like no one else had, so we would just think of a name and then type it into a Spotify. Now we can't use that one. Type it in if we can't use that one. And then we looked up and saw the sign like what about Truesdale.
Speaker 1: Which is funny because there are the Truesdale estates which are like well known as like rich.
Speaker 2: Buildings and states.
Speaker 1: I don't know, and so I think that one slipped through the crash.
Speaker 6: Were finally committed a few times, but it just like, I don't know, nothing else ever felt right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Our second choice was the Sorrow Sisters, the.
Speaker 6: Sisters, and then we had Carolina Blue Carolina, which is like both of those are alter egos at this point exactly.
Speaker 2: So what we're so the ones that you looked up, the ones that you looked up on Spotify, what were some of those that you were like, Oh, it's already taken. Oh my gosh, my.
Speaker 6: Gosh, wow, I'm sure I could we have a nook. I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Though, that'd be really funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Destiny's Chops.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What does Truesdale mean to you?
Speaker 2: Guys? Like the name?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like the.
Speaker 5: Feeling of it, at least to me, and part of why we've stuck with it is because it kind of feels genrealless, like when you see the name where when you hear it, it's like Truesdale. It could be full, it could be rock. Yeah, it feels pretty broad and it's like a statement. There's no the We also thought about that just.
Speaker 1: A word, yeah, and to not like associate it with like where three women or a trio or sisters in some way of like we're just a band.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that that also is important. I feel like none of us like loved the name, but then we were like, oh, but like think about the Beatles, they're like bugs and you don't but you don't associate it with that at all. These associated with the music, so like eventually the name won't sound like anything but what people think of with their music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what it was.
Speaker 6: Your question was so interesting because I was like, whoa, I've never even really thought of that before.
Speaker 2: But you know, I go subterranean.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel like, you know, even though the name comes from USC, I feel like it really when I hear the word Trusdale now, I just think of everything that we've built and like everything it means to us now way more than our where we went to school.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think we've really just grown to like make it our own, right, total, Yeah, your own meaning. Yeah, I mean that's You're so right. When I hear the Beatles, I don't. I was like, oh that is a bug. Yeah, yeah, you just don't. We're like the police. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a bit of an odd one, but yeah it rocks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, so you all have designated colors. How did that was that? Did it? Was it like you just kept showing up in the same color and were like, should this be our thing? Or what was that intentional?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I feel like we I like never wore green before this. And Georgia. I feel like you didn't really wear paying No, don't you wear too much.
Speaker 1: But we decided we started getting more colorful before we started releasing music, and one of our friends reckoned that we go to this place called Big Bud Press that has these incredible jumpsuits, and so we started trying on different colors and combinations and we just landed on these, and then people started associating us, like with the colors. I feel like after that of like the pink one, yeah, the blue one. So then which kind of stuck with it? Yeah, accepted our fate so fun.
Speaker 2: You're like, have you heard of the color analysis?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You're like, I hope this is my color. Really I don't think so. I feel like it is.
Speaker 3: Analysis.
Speaker 5: It's like where they's they you know, like your tone, Yeah, are you a winter yeah?
Speaker 2: Summer? Yeah. But I was thinking, I mean, you'll all your color compliments you So it was like, did y'all do a full test? And like.
Speaker 5: We should have when we tried the jumpsuits on. Part of the reason that we picked them was because we looked at that we tried so many on we had maroon like whatever. Yeah, and then when we looked in the mirrors, in the mirrors, in the singular mirror, it was a really cool mirror. We stood and we're like something about them.
Speaker 2: Just it worked.
Speaker 1: Probably because it's the same colors as the power puff probably, yeah, but we didn't think about afterthought.
Speaker 2: In the moment. Again, Yeah, in hindsty, it's all yeah, I like it. I do want to do It's nostalgic. I do feel like you are in an industry that is naturally harder for women. Have you all experienced that being a band, a trio of women and you do, you produce, you write, you do everything for your music. Have you found that to be a challenge? Definitely?
Speaker 1: I think I think we experience it all the time, and we talk about it, like on stage and between the three of us. I think, I think there's so many levels of it, and I don't think we have the worst of it at all. But I think, as like women that are producing ourselves, I think we run in I mean in small ways of just like the assumption that we didn't produce our music, and like when people are like who produced it for you? And uh, when we go on tour, like walking into venues, I feel like the people that are running the venues, like their first assumption is we don't know what we're doing.
Speaker 2: But I love that. I get super stoked when that happens.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I think we're good, so they're always regretting it later.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we kind of like prove it to the people have to reperform. Yeah, but yeah, it's a weird industry, like to I think for anyone, it's just a confusing and not very explanatory industry. You can't go into it and like know what's going to happen no matter what. But also being a woman does put you at like a little bit of a disadvantage in terms of feeling like you have to prove more to people, especially because it's so heavily male, I think especially in the production part and in certain songwriting sessions. You know, sometimes we're lucky because we have three people so we're supporting each other. But if I was alone, I'm sure there'd be certain situations that we been in where I would be so uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: That's so true.
Speaker 6: I've never I've never thought of that before, Like that's it really is. Having there be three of us, we're usually outnumbering whoever we're working and so even just that fact alone, I think it makes us a little bit more intimidating, which I honestly like I feel for sometimes when we're working with someone for the first time, I'm like, we're a lot of energy, like all in one room together at the same time. But yeah, it can it can be tough to to feel heard in a way that is genuine and not like you're trying to control the situation, like being a leader in for a woman in any scenario.
Speaker 2: And it's the same with music.
Speaker 6: You are at risk of being called, oh like controlling, and so I think that's that's definitely something. It's just it's just hard to advocate for yourself and what you want because a lot of time times you know you.
Speaker 5: Don't want to keep their stereotype. Yeah, well, be grateful for what you have, like.
Speaker 6: And and even like oh no, I want to even like with members of your team sometimes of like oh no, I want to produce this song. I think this could have a good vision, and then they could potentially come back and say, oh, well, like you should be flexible and like maybe try to work with some other producers and like, have you checked out this list of people that I think you could be cool to work with and like some it's a it's a tough balance because it's all it's all yes, and you know, like working with other people is great.
Speaker 2: You learn so many new things.
Speaker 6: You can grow yourself as a producer, as a collaborator doing those opportunities. But there really is something to be said for like taking the time and just learning how to do it yourself. And I think women, especially in product music production, women are not given that time or are not encouraged to go explore what that's like, what their sound is like, because they're so often put in a room with someone that's just more experienced or like can do it faster. Yeah, And then even when you do co produce, like we're running into this even now with some new music that we've been working on of like we're so like we do so much for our project and we're spread so thin, and we're trying to find more ways to like be have like a healthy environment and like really be able to tackle all the work.
Speaker 2: That we need to.
Speaker 6: And so we're working with a co producer on this next batch of songs, and there's you're always running the risk of, like someone saying, even though we're listed as a producer, like, oh, well, they're just the artist.
Speaker 2: They just got a production credit because like they're.
Speaker 3: The arta, like they wanted the credit, so they just like changed a word or something.
Speaker 2: Totally, yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: It is interesting. Like when I think about this industry in particular, it is like very it's like men helping men. It's like it's like in their nature.
Speaker 5: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: It's like, yes, that's just how.
Speaker 3: It is, and like men also are not like I feel like sometimes as women, we do tend to be feel like we can't speak or share as much as we want, and other men like just ask for what they want and demand it, and it's like it's so hard for us to do it.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting.
Speaker 5: I have truly noticed that when I am saying an idea, specifically in the production area of our job, I have tried to say it with a lower tone so that it's listened to more like when we're working with men, because something about being like oh my god, this people's not a.
Speaker 1: Scientific evidence to back that up that people respond more to like a lower voice.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't think of her name right now, but she dressed like Steve Jobs and.
Speaker 3: No, no, not most Elizabeth the Holmes homes.
Speaker 2: Homes Liz Holmes, and she was trying to come up that's what she.
Speaker 5: Friend.
Speaker 2: She changed her voice and went like a way deeper tone, and they did like a whole documentary on it, and they were like, because she she knew she'd be respected more like if she sounded for whatever reason, yes, it sounded better to men if she's hot in a lower tone. It's crazy.
Speaker 5: I feel like the main challenge is personally, you know, it's within yourself for me to be like, Okay, I have ideas I should be listened to just as much as anybody, and not getting in my own head of being like, oh, yeah, that's actually a better idea, yeah, just because I don't know.
Speaker 1: Why wait gold on, yeah, confident regardless of like if this idea is perfect and well formed, and just throwing things out there and like letting them be imperfect. And I think that it's really that's something that I've had to come to terms with and like work through of having so many ideas in my head and not saying them out loud because I'm afraid that they're not good enough. And then you just you get so much farther when you just put things out there because.
Speaker 5: It's like, oh, this might be a terrible idea, but maybe it'll get some cooking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. That's My girlfriend's an artist, she's a musician, and she always says, you know, she'll she's like, I just want to all like women team yeah, And I'm like, she's like, I want a woman producer. I'm like, get a woman producer. She's like, you don't understand how hard it is a male dominated in space like that. It's just like if if you have an idea effect yeah.
Speaker 3: Like it's like if you work for like whatever, let's say this label, and then they have their like producer that they always like work with or you know, that's that's the guy. Everyone has their guy.
Speaker 7: Know.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: I think about this all the time too, Like I feel like we're in this time right now where like producers have like such a sound to them, and then I think people like seek out whatever that sound is, but they're forgetting that like the artist is half of that sound, if not more a lot of time and so people want to work with Jack Antonoff. They want to work with like all these different producers like Ethan groscar A people that have produced these records that they really love because like, oh I want that sound, but really sometimes the sound that they're chasing is just the artist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 6: I think, I mean, I honestly feel bad for those producers too, because then it boxes them in creatively to like the kind of music that their clients are coming to them for, because like you know, people come to Ethan Gresca and they're like, oh, we play like rubber bridge guitar, like that'll sound really cool on this record, and it's like, now Ethan grosk is like, god, I'm sure he's like I.
Speaker 2: Never want to buy another guitar in a song ever again.
Speaker 6: But yeah, it's really it's really interesting. It is like a cycle just feeds into itself.
Speaker 4: That's something you guys have talked about your shows that really affected me. Was hearing like because like everyone knows Jackie enough, everyone knows like write and tender like people like that. But like I would say, I couldn't think of a single female producer, you know, like like Julian Michaels. Maybe I don't know. Yeah, you know, like and you guys that your shows always talk about like if there's no way. You know, you want to be the person that does something, so then someone who like it looks like your sounds like you, or is like you, like, oh, I can do that now, And I don't know. I just I'm so inspired about what you're doing because it's it's it's an incredible thing. I think about all the like girls out in the audience at your shows that are seeing you guys perform, and like you're producing earlier on something. Oh I could do something like that.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, I love that.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's like our main goal in talking about that stuff and doing it ourselves. I think like sometimes it feels like it would be easier and we're trying to find ways to collaborate while still maintaining like musical integrity and control over our masters and like the rights to our music and stuff.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I feel like that's it's so.
Speaker 1: Important to know that maybe we could be something that we didn't see growing up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I feel like knowing that us saying that our shows does inspire people inspires us too, because it feels like, Okay, we're.
Speaker 2: Doing this for a reason. Yeah, because it's.
Speaker 5: Hard still to find it within every day. Yeah, every day you gotta fight the good fight. Yeah, you're writing a song a kind of good fight.
Speaker 2: All the time.
Speaker 3: I know it's a little off topic, but are you Are you all cycle SYNCD?
Speaker 2: Like, I feel like we go in and out.
Speaker 6: You have a really long we all have very different different situations.
Speaker 2: Okay, sometimes we are.
Speaker 1: I feel like when we're on tour, it happens. I have the implant in my arm, so I just got off of a literal month long period, so that definitely.
Speaker 2: Messes it up. But when we're all together all the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like, yeah, yeah, I would say so. Usually you'll be like, oh, I think I'm gonna get your hair.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, oh, Tanya with a hard hitting question. I was curious about when y'all go So, y'all are about to go on tour, right, yes? In June? Yeah, in June.
Speaker 5: Well, I just like we are.
Speaker 2: I was like, did I get the wrong information? Day by day?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Living life to the fullest. So when y'all go on tour? What what? How are y'all traveling? How will you be traveling?
Speaker 5: Sprinter?
Speaker 2: Okay, sprinter van? Yes? Do you do you like that? Because my girlfriend she did Sprinter and then she did tour bus, and she was like, I liked the Sprinter because we got to go to a hotel and sleep in a bed. That's a really nice part of it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Sure, the long drives in the Sprinter are you know, not amazing, But I think we're all just so broke that you know, it's better than minivan.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's way better than man. Yeah, I feel like, honestly, it all depends on the routing. Because if you're like we last year we opened for Corey Wong and we were following, they were all in a tour bus, and so our.
Speaker 2: That tour was routed for a tour.
Speaker 6: Bus, and so it'd be like the kind of thing where you're playing a show in Chicago and then the next night you're you're having to go all the way to like I don't know, Nashville or something in one day. And and so then we like they're they could just like load out at the end of the night, yeah, and then sleep and they just get driven to Nashville, versus us we're like driving two hours after the show, going to bed, waking up at eight, trying to drive the rest of the way so that we get there in time. So it really just depends on like how the shows are booked.
Speaker 1: And we've never done a tour bus, so we don't know what that we'll compare. Yeah, I would love that, but I think it's a sleep is tough with I sleep really well.
Speaker 6: Actually, then always says the back round of Sprinter, and it's just fully horizontal the whole time.
Speaker 5: He has a foot rest, it's a blow up footrest rest. I ask, and yeah, and if you look back, it's a really fantastic.
Speaker 6: Well and and there's like she has because they're both quin in order to have beautiful curly hair, and both very committed to their curly hair regiments.
Speaker 2: Because if we don't, it's just a frisbelle. But what is it you It's called plopping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I PLoP my hair and a T shirt like when it's wet, and then I tie it.
Speaker 6: And then she's usually wearing like a hoodie over that with the mouth taste and then I'm ass, it's really good.
Speaker 2: Look, you don't even recognize I could sleep so nows. When we get to the venue, people are like, yeah, we're not looking so great. I mean me, you know, I started to do the regimen.
Speaker 6: I'm so used to seeing you like that when like one of my eyes was like shut most of the time.
Speaker 5: The green makeup is like running died.
Speaker 2: I feel like music. I feel like artists and musicians are insane. Like there's a part of me that thinks y'all are crazy. I tell my grandmamas all the time. I'm like, I think people like you are crazy because what drives you to to live this lifestyle? I'm serious, like what is it? Because I don't I don't have it, so I don't get it. I feel like they trick you.
Speaker 6: You know, you grow up being like I want to sing songs for a living, and like write songs.
Speaker 2: That'll be easy. I'm on a stage, like yay.
Speaker 6: And then you pursue that and you're like this is so fun, and then you like you, you know, you actually start to have to do it where you're like, Okay, now you have to like open up an LLC to keep track of your finances, and now you like doing that all the time, And then you have to pay your taxes, and then you have to get a manager, and then you get a lawyer and an agent, and then you have to go on tour, and then you're doing all this stuff in a sprinter van and like immediately disgusting venues and green rooms sometimes and then all of a sudden you look at your life and you're.
Speaker 2: Like, wow, this is what I didn't know. This is what I was signing up for, what dreams were made of. Yeah, it's so true. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I feel like it gives musicians like a thicker skin where you're kind of like.
Speaker 3: There's something like you're doing what you love exactly. Like that's the thing I think at the end of the day too, It's like.
Speaker 2: It's it.
Speaker 3: It's something that's in you, you know what I mean, Like like you were saying, like I could, I could never, Like I am such a creature of habit. I to like in bed by nine pm, lights out by nine p fifteen, like I need to have you know, love Islander Traders on the TV, and you know, like I see creature of habit.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So for me, like living in a sprinter and being in a different city every day, like that would just make me so anxious, Whereas I feel like if you live my life, you would be so anxious.
Speaker 2: She'd be like, get me out of this.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I feel like of all of the musicians that are like living that tour life. We definitely are more homebodies, and we don't go crazy when we're touring, Like we go to bed as early as we possibly can. We're not like partying out late. I think we all love the travel aspect of it, but it is an interesting like balance of we're not I don't think we would have ever like roughed it, like a lot of people will get into like the minivan and do it all themselves and sleep on couches and like, you know, do whatever it takes. I feel like we were never willing to do that until we had like some foundation yeah to like actually go on a more comfortable tour. But it is interesting. I feel like I love coming home after a tour and like being home and doing my own routine and being by myself. But there's something about the live performance, and I think there's like validation that you get, like when you're on stage and stuff, the connection that you get with people, and then also like hearing people sing our lyrics back, or like hearing how people were affected by our music or by our performance, like that's worth any discomfort or like lack of sleep or routine.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like the the whole path, the touring and all the things that are difficult, because yeah, I feel like I'm also a creature of habit and that sounds like a great night to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think like the whole side, yeah, but I.
Speaker 5: Feel like the overall thing that yeah, makes us crazy is like for me, I just feel like I have something to say, and we all have something to say, and we can like we have you know, these tools, and we have music and it feels important and I feel like that's what drives us to do the whole thing. And then when it comes to the specifics and the touring, to me, the stage is like just the most I feel the most myself when I'm on the stage, and I feel like so excited to It's just it's like, oh, it's like a job that I just love. And then all the other stuff is really hard, just like anything, you know.
Speaker 6: I feel like there is a little bit of this myth that like musicians like tend to be like all this one kind of like go like I want to just be traveling seeing the world all the time, but like touring is so like in reality, like touring is so bad for you, Like it's so.
Speaker 2: Bad for your health.
Speaker 6: And luckily there's like a lot more resources now, Like what's the one that we always see that has the like the plug logo, It's like beat.
Speaker 2: I just was learning about it.
Speaker 6: It's like a mental health resources. Oh, Backstage. It's called Backstage. It's like this company they have like in green rooms like this, you know, like an info sheet of like how they can get help to find therapists and you know if they're like over saying like they can you know, find the resources to help deal with that emergency care and such. But like then that, I think there's music Cares, which is like also a really great thing. But I think it's we're entering into a new time. I think where like the rock and roll lifestyles changing of like maybe it's not super fun to go out and like drink, not sleep.
Speaker 2: And then do it again the next day every months.
Speaker 1: But I can see why people did Slash do that with the lifestyle that it is exhausting.
Speaker 5: It is because you like literally like you have to pain, Yeah, you have to put on a great show or like you could have had like no sleep the night before and then you have the biggest show of your life the next day and to do this really well, I'm going.
Speaker 2: To do drugs right, ye see.
Speaker 6: And I feel like now it's the way that I look at it more now is like I'm being when I'm on the road, I'm being an athlete, because it really is about just like, Okay, how do I take care of my body in the way that is going to get me to the stage tomorrow and the next day and the day after.
Speaker 5: That, which is kind of freeing when you only have one thing to focus on. We kind of say like touring is nice because it's just one hat every day. The job is the show, that's it. But when we're back home, it's like, yeah, how many things can I do in one day?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are any of you in relationships? Yeah? All three of us. Okay, have have y'all toured while being in a relationship? Yeah. We have a very interesting setup.
Speaker 1: So my boyfriend, Carter is our drummer, so he goes on ideal situations, Yeah, very much.
Speaker 6: And then my boyfriend is our mixing engineer slash occasional bass player, so he's been on the road with us a few times, but okay, for the most he's he stays at home.
Speaker 2: And so he won't be going on tour. Mm, he'll be at Bonn with us, which will be very cool.
Speaker 1: But other than that, he's like, I'll come to brow yeah exactly when we have more money, will take them all the time.
Speaker 2: It's like we can't afford to have enough. Yeah, yeah, I know, but.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, my girlfriend is non a musician, but I love her.
Speaker 2: Does she come to visit? Okay? This makes me feel seen because you're on the other side of this relationship. I have a very hard time when my girlfriend. God, so does my girlfriend. And I think there's something when it's two women that makes it extra emotional. And I was laughing thinking about you being like we have to get on stage and like, no matter what's happened in her life, like that's a focus, and I would be like just causing drama, Like I literally have to go perform. Yeah, I have to go entertain these people and like give a show. And I'm like, fine, give to them, take away from me. It's hard. It's hard to balance.
Speaker 5: That's fair, Like, you know, you have needs on the other side, and it's also really hard for somebody who isn't touring to like understand the lifestyle. It's just both are true and it's tough. Thank god for FaceTime. And you know what, she if we going, really, we've only done like month long tours so far, so if we did, I don't know if your girlfriend is like super long tours.
Speaker 2: She yeah, a couple of months. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I feel like once it passes the one month, she's definitely gonna be visiting me.
Speaker 2: You know, figured it out two weeks starting fights hours and she's like, okay, yeah that did happen, but I try to make it to two weeks. Yeah, it's I mean came and saw us last time. I mean we it was it was a wild day for her to come.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's from Canada, Okay, yeah, and we were in Vancouver, but we had a crazy day right before that ship anyway, was this the merch situation?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, can you tell people because this wasn't our prep and I'm like, this is a crazy story. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Our main you know, takeaway point is, you know, when you're crossing into Canada, you know, just careful, make sure you know that you have a carne and no one will.
Speaker 2: Tell you what that is, but make sure you have it. It's a special document, a.
Speaker 5: Special document and you know, don't have other things you got.
Speaker 1: They're really they're just so strict. And we've never had an issue at the border before. But because we didn't have like all the proper documents among other things, like we got pulled over and we got held there for like most of the night, and we had left from a show in Seattle. So we're like, we're just going to get in, you know, a little late, but like it'll be better to be there that night. And we were there until like four thirty in the morning, and like I had to walk back to the US like side of my slippers, like begging these people to like help us, and they gave us a different form, but yeah, they were harsh. So we got to our airbnb at like six thirty, and we didn't have everyone on our crew left.
Speaker 2: There were well why did they stop you?
Speaker 1: They stopped us because we didn't have the documents that we were in like the right order. And like sometimes it just depends on what kind of person you get.
Speaker 5: We got a bad like not a bad but just like we got somebody who really was strict, and so then we yeah, we had to pull into the thing and then they we got all these things seized. We couldn't bring the merch across. Part of that was because of the carne. And so then once we got through to Canada, we went to a Salvation Army and just purchased like a bunch of just shirts in our colors and just wrote yeah with.
Speaker 2: Lyrics and stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like our van got taken like they towed it with They started towing because they someone had asked one of the band members if there had been any drinking that night, which was like, we had no one was drunk and it was hours after the show, but we had had drinks. And so then they were like, then all of you are unfit to drive, and they while we were trying to get the other paperwork with all of our stuff in the van, they just started towing it and the like, and we're like, I'm re entering the US like at the same time trying to get these papers.
Speaker 5: The phones are all on one percent because we weren't expecting to be and the you know, they.
Speaker 2: Weren't letting us like get up from the seats. It was crazy.
Speaker 5: More all of the story, if you're crossing into Canada, have a carne and maybe don't go in like overnight. Yeah, because maybe those those people are a little bit more looking for a show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were.
Speaker 6: You just want to you just want to follow all the rules to the tea because if you give them any reason to flag you, like even a little bit, then they just that's all the reason they need to just make your life a living hell.
Speaker 2: So that was the the sounn. Their girlfriend came.
Speaker 5: So then we got back to the airbnb at six am and I was texting her with my one percent phone. I was like, I think I think we're gonna you know, she was trying to track in my location and then she was there waiting when we got there.
Speaker 2: We got there at like six am.
Speaker 5: She was like, hey, gosh, yeah yeah, yeah, she was the vibes.
Speaker 2: You were like, I need to just be Yeah.
Speaker 5: But the next day I met her whole family like the first time for the first time, you know, at the show when it was just such a nightmare show too, and her family was so sweet.
Speaker 2: So it was like the best.
Speaker 5: Possible situation that could have But it was a wild But we love Canada. Yes, the situation at the border back to Vancouver has nothing to do with our love for Canada.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, no, that's a legalistic thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, speaking of Canada, I have to pivot to Love Island. Yeah, I was like, pivot, George. I know that you are obsessed and I I too am obsessed.
Speaker 2: I know she didn't act obsessed with every you didn't act.
Speaker 5: I thought because I was worried that I wasn't gonna, you know, be that I was gonna be tested on.
Speaker 2: The logistics of the characters or something. No test.
Speaker 3: But I would like to know what your favorite season is of Love Island UK.
Speaker 5: Okay. I like the one with Page okay, and really I think so I loved them.
Speaker 2: That was recent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Think that was my favorite.
Speaker 3: Was the winners spoiler alert, David Day and Eke and Sue. Yeah yeah, I believe they won.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I was a little shocked by that to I liked that and Sue though, Oh yeah, that was great. I love that show. Yeah, what's your favorite season?
Speaker 3: It's tough, it's tough, it's tough. It's I love season five. I love Season seven.
Speaker 2: I really.
Speaker 3: The only one I haven't loved is like the first two seasons. After that, it's like they just get better and better and better.
Speaker 5: The only thing about the first two seasons that I did like is that they were smoking cigarettes and it looked totally like kind of nice.
Speaker 3: To me so much, like how much can these people smoke?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just in their bathing suits the whole time.
Speaker 3: But I think they put a band to it because now they don't smoke at all.
Speaker 2: There's like no smoking allowed at all.
Speaker 5: Do you like it when they meet the families? Does it stress you out?
Speaker 2: And I don't need that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 2: I kind of start to fast forward when reality shows make you meet the fa so like it's like you can.
Speaker 3: Tell some families like really don't want to be there, Yeah, they don't want to be.
Speaker 2: Like and then some of them like loving or thriving.
Speaker 3: I feel back for the ones that like don't.
Speaker 5: I feel bad for some of the families are like so supportive and they're so close, And then you can tell that some people aren't super close to their families, but they're just forced to come together and like maybe seen each other in years or something.
Speaker 2: Isn't there a lesbian relationship in a recent season two girls are dating or something? Who is it? See that she was just in that was us?
Speaker 5: Oh, video pretty sexy.
Speaker 3: I don't mess with the US.
Speaker 2: I don't mess with either, so I just see what I see on tickto a.
Speaker 5: Kind of it's interesting to like girls and to watch Love Island. It's quite a street show, but something about it.
Speaker 3: I just had some I know, it's so wholesome elevision.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like I've gotten through breakups because of that show.
Speaker 3: It's a good It's never ending. It's like a new episode every day. There's like sixty five episodes like the Gift that keeps on giving.
Speaker 2: So true, Oh so good. It feels good. Thank you so much. Thank you for indulging me. Thank you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I needed that.
Speaker 2: Who are y'all's musical inspiration?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Who who do you look to? When you're like if I could have something similar to that style or career, who is it for you? It's hard? That is really tough.
Speaker 6: I feel like it's changed to now like being a band and like now really looking up to certain bands.
Speaker 2: I mean there's like.
Speaker 6: The Beatles, obviously, like George and I used to joke around in college being like we could be like we could be like you know, Lennon and.
Speaker 2: McCartney, like Green and Jones. Wow, that would be so cool that just have a ring to it. I don't have to kick me out.
Speaker 6: But but yeah, I mean I would say Fleetwood, Mac, the Eagles, like CSN, those are all like my dream for my dream bands. For Trusdale, I think of just being like that legacy act of just like.
Speaker 2: Music is so important to us.
Speaker 6: And I would say it's like our mental health comes first, and then our friendships come second, and then the band comes third. And I think as long as those things remain the same, I think we have like such a beautiful future of just like a great long life doing music together, which I think we're all very excited about and love to foster that because that's why all those bands did. I think they just like really stuck with it and yeah, created this thing that you could really just chew on for and sit on for a while, which I think we all really appreciate that in an artist.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like You two also is a good example of a band that's just like still rockings, but like also on a smaller scale, Big Thief, I feel, just in terms of the trajectory that they continue to put out albums, but also like Adrian Linker, puts out albums and it just seems like they have like a really healthy relationship to the band, you know, like Thief.
Speaker 1: No, I'm talking about the no Oh Okay, you might recognize some of their songs.
Speaker 2: She has like a really recognizable voice.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like.
Speaker 5: Really really just beautiful songwriting, so many records and then in terms of like just doing it, not in terms of like at the scale for the rest of our lives, but like Taylor Swift is a good example of just so many eras. Yeah, and she just keeps like growing and changing and like doing her thing. I think, I don't know if we want to be doing like arena tours like by the time, you know, in terms like I think maybe we'll want to just have kids at some point and like also do it, you know, but having like a trajectory that just.
Speaker 3: Keeps changing, evolving, growing.
Speaker 1: I feel like Brandy Carlisle is a person in terms of her career, Like it took her a really long time to get where she is, and I feel like she wasn't super well known even when she was objectively like doing really well. But she's like so herself and her music is so good, and I feel like She's built this community also of like artists around her.
Speaker 2: Feels like a little exclusive.
Speaker 1: I'd love to be a part of it someday, but it's I think she also is such a great artist that we look up to, and just like the the integrity of the music.
Speaker 2: I feel like she's like really about that. When I saw that she doesn't use uh is it in ears? I'm like, that is crazy. I know I would never just for like going death, but I know respect. Yeah, I guess it's crazy. You're like, good luck with your health.
Speaker 1: Like I like the idea of she they're not going to like a metronome or a click and like they're just feeling.
Speaker 5: She wears ear plugs, I hope, so you know, tried to look at her ear holes like when we've seen her on like big screens.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't see. That's scary to me because that is, Yeah, it feels dangerous. It's loud. Wow, like that her band do they go crazy? So I don't know. You brought up Taylor Switch and the song movie Star makes me think of debut Taylor God. I love it. It's so romantic and feels so like when you fall, like you're you know, falling love and everything feels like a movie. Like if you can make everything feel like a movie, I love that.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: If you go see you Tuesday Live, they bring someone up on stage and put them in a stool and like sing to them as if they're the movie star. And two shows on the tour and both.
Speaker 2: Yah wants to be is it?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 3: Usually guy or girl doesn't matter, different different every city we take turns picking yeah, because.
Speaker 2: It's really stressful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to make anyone feel bad or accidentally pick someone that's like.
Speaker 2: Wasted or like someone that actually is being forced to do it. But we didn't realize something, Yeah, be a hit or miss sometimes. When I saw a video of y'all and it was the power something went out in Seattle, I think, and you were like everyone's singing back to you. I can't imagine what that must feel like. First of all, I'm so scared of being on a stage in front of people like that is so scary. But I imagine that the high and the rush that you get from that, and then you're watching everyone singing along, but then the sound goes out and you can hear them. Yeah, what is that like? It was so crazy.
Speaker 5: Is the coolest thing I think we've experienced to this day.
Speaker 2: Was Yeah, it so crazy.
Speaker 6: It's so funny looking back at it, because we're like, wow, this literally looks like it was like stage because it was so perfect, and it was like, I mean, for us in the moment, we were just like okay, like cause I feel like when at a certain point, once you've played as many shows as we have, you start to learn that anything that can go wrong will ye wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so.
Speaker 6: We're like, okay, like we all had our in years in and so for us, all the sound went out and then we were kind of.
Speaker 2: Like we were still singing or like what do we do? Like we keep playing?
Speaker 6: And then we realized we took our ears out and we realized that like everybody was.
Speaker 2: Singing, and then we.
Speaker 6: Were like, oh my god, like this is so cool. We don't really know what's happening with the sound right now, but like and then I started walking up to the front of the stage and just.
Speaker 2: With my like literal acoustics.
Speaker 6: In my guitar was trying to like lead the crowd in the song, and then Quinn picked up the tambourine.
Speaker 2: Were just jamming.
Speaker 6: George was like screaming so loud, like literally still in that video, you're like the loudest thing, which.
Speaker 2: Is so impressive. George has to sing so high.
Speaker 5: It was like an endorphin rush.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh, and then the fact that they kept going because it was like a pretty long time that the power was out. Yeah, and they just knew it, and I feel like we were I just kept going like, actually, it's all like in the same register.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I know.
Speaker 1: The sound came back on and were like the perfect moment and it was so that we couldn't hear it in our ears because we'd taken them out.
Speaker 2: But then colors started.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then everyone started screaming, so we were like, oh, it's in that. We ran back and finished it. It was so cool. It was so fun and like I think because there are three of us, it's a little easier, but something goes wrong to like look at each other and be like, how are they not? Like yeah, and we were going to stop, Like there was a moment where we were kind of like, oh no, and like then they just kept singing, so we were like.
Speaker 2: And then Lauren walked up.
Speaker 5: There was Yeah, there was like a little front parts just like walked up and were he had like a second to just be Okay, yep, we're walking that.
Speaker 2: It was perfect. Honestly, it was so fun. It was such a rush.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then that night was the go into Vancouver.
Speaker 2: We were like, honestly, maybe a'll got through that because of that. Yeah, that you got totally meant to happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and hopefully many more memories like that. Yes, when you go back out on tour.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, totally.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just saw a video of Noah Kan that happened to him at one of his shows, like the power went out and he sang a quiet song and I know that that venue was like massive. I don't know how people even heard him, but it was so cool. People loved it. It's just amazing when you do live music like that and it's really like your own voices and musicians on stage. I think when things go wrong, you can still perform, and I think it makes it that much more beautiful. Of like we could still keep singing and do stuff because we can hold our own like in most situations.
Speaker 2: So it was a beautiful thing. I think.
Speaker 6: I think the unrehearsed moments in a live music show is just like the most beautiful like that for me, that's what I'm like connected to.
Speaker 2: I'm watching an artist and I'm like.
Speaker 6: Oh, man, like they're just like me, you know, like they're a person, Like they make mistakes, you know, and like I feel like that's just such a special thing because you know that that moment is like just for You're the only one witnessing that.
Speaker 4: I just want to give a co sign to going to see them on tour because I went. I was visiting my parents in Santa Cruz and I saw Juesday I was gonna be playing at the Catalyst where I grew up going to music, Like, oh, I can finally to go see them. I've only seen them for like a year. I went and we bought tickets to the LA show. Like before we got back to the car, I'm like, I have Yeah. Wow, your voices live are such a powerful experience, so incredible. You cover the chain by Fleetwood. Mackett's like, which, by the way, are you going to release that is? Like can you get like to stream or anything? My wife wanted me to ask that question.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe stay tuned.
Speaker 1: We're talking about different ideas of what we're doing all right next.
Speaker 2: So it's incredible.
Speaker 4: I mean you're gonna be in what New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, in the northeast. Yeah, so if you're in those areas, you gotta go see Tuesday A Live. It's incredible. It's insane than we have.
Speaker 2: I have never heard Easton talk about music. I mean aside from like Pa Voice, hell yeah, Beach Voice, but like, literally I have I have never heard him talk about music and like loving a band like he has about you guys. So thank you for I'm so happy that we got to meet you and got to learn your music through him.
Speaker 5: So thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, on this show that was like a huge deal for me.
Speaker 2: Said listen, this band is about to blow up, and I want them on the podcast before it happens. Yeah, wow, thank you, Thank you back. I walk over to the Hillary Duff comment. I know that big comment. This is what dreams are? Great song. When does the tour start? Where can people follow you? Where can people get tickets? Tell us all the info?
Speaker 6: Sure, they can follow us on Instagram. We're on Instagram at Truesdale Music.
Speaker 2: It's spelled t r o U s d a l E.
Speaker 6: And they can sign up for our mailing list on our website Trusdom music dot com. Our tour starts in Bonnaroo. We're at Bonnaroo in Nashville on June fifteenth. Is there anything else I should I should mention?
Speaker 1: Then we're we're opening for the Teski Brothers right after that, and then we're doing some headlining shows.
Speaker 2: So it's like two weeks right on the road and it's all on our website.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and yeah, we have a vinyl also that's for sale soon. You can pre order on our website. You can pre order our vinyl on our website. It's pretty sick looking.
Speaker 2: We put a lot of time, Yeah, have a long time will coming.
Speaker 5: And every single show people will be like, what do you guys gonna do?
Speaker 2: Vinyl? We're like a vinyls Oh my gosh. That takes a long time.
Speaker 6: And that's one of the things that you don't really expect to be doing when you want to be a musician when.
Speaker 2: You grow up. They're like, okay, well there's.
Speaker 6: This many minutes on one side of the vinyl, so how many songs are you going to fit on there? And what kind of lacquer do you want? You're like, okay, I didn't really think i'd ever have to make this decision.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I know. You don't know till you know. Yeah, I'll never know. I only know through association. Yeah yeah, personally, I will never know. Thank you'all so much for taking the time to scrub it. I feel like you were going to have a really great summer. Thank you, you guys to