Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome back to the Bob Lefts That's podcast. My guest today is the one and only Don was Don, what did your parents say when you dropped out of college?
Speaker 2: You know something? They were remarkably cool. They were. They were incredibly supportive, both of them. And I didn't just drop out to uh, you know, to to go to the beach. I knew what I wanted to do, and they supported me both in spirit and uh uh from their wallet. And it took a while to get on my feet. And my dad was always there to loane me some bread if I needed it. They were great.
Speaker 1: Okay, how many kids in the family?
Speaker 2: Is my sister and myself and your sister older, younger younger sister. When she retired, she was a chief Statistician of the United States of America.
Speaker 1: And that sounds very impressive, but I have no idea what that is.
Speaker 2: It's extremely well, she ran the Census Bureau, Okay for a number of years. Well how did she get there? She understood management, She had a degree in management, and I think she had like fifty thousand people reporting to her at the Census.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess I'm more interested you and your sister are both very successful. What was in the water, what was going in your house that you're both successful?
Speaker 2: Well, it probably goes back to my parents just understanding that you can you can do just as well doing something you love something you don't love to do, and so they encourage us to, you know, follow our hearts and back to sup And Yeah, I went to my fifty second high school reunion bah way Way just because to cousin Covid, I.
Speaker 1: Got roped in to go to my college region. That was the first reunion I ever went to. How did you decide? How'd you been to previous reunion?
Speaker 2: The Okay, what motivates you to go? There's nothing like you know, touch and base with these people that you've known for sixty years, seventy years, You can't. You only get that opportunity once to build relationships that last that long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But in the old days when we grew up, if you left your hometown moved to the West coast, unless you made a big effort, you lost touch. Whereas today today's kids will never lose touch with anybody.
Speaker 2: It's all available.
Speaker 1: So when you go back, if you maintain relationships with these people or you just check it in on the reunion.
Speaker 2: It depends, you know, that a lot of people. There's three hundred people in my class, and some are still my closest friends. I see, I got a place in Detroit on Mairland.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I interrupted. You just came back from your fifty second What was that like?
Speaker 2: It was beautiful, man, you know, it's a wonderful experience, and I love going to them. But one thing I did notice was that, you know, everybody was seventy and some of them looked ninety, and some of them are pretty much the same as they were when they were in their forties and fifties. And the difference seemed to be that people who pursued a line of work that they loved looked much better, you know, and that people who found meaning in their work in and then it's got nothing to do with fame, right or really or revenue. It's got to do with you. You can pump gas and think, man, I'm keeping America moving. There's a point to this. People who found meaning and did something they loved looked a lot healthier and happier. You know.
Speaker 1: There's the famous story of Jani's Joblin going back to Port Arthur to her reunion. It's sort of a victory lap. The whole thing didn't work out well and she was derided in high school. Where was your role amongst the three hundred and when you went to one of these reunions after having success, how did people treat you?
Speaker 2: People have been really nice. They're supportive. I think when you come from a little village and you go out in the world and you do well, you do well on behalf of everybody else. I think they feel some ownership of the success of people from our high school class.
Speaker 1: So if there were three hundred in the class, were you the art guy known as the musician? We're a good student in class? Did you play sports? Were you unknown? Where were you in the landscape?
Speaker 2: David wasn't I We were hippie kids, you know, and we well, I'll be honest with you, man, It's why I relate to what you do so well, because we were provocateurs. Oh yeah, and game recognized game.
Speaker 1: That's something that's totally lost his day. You know, this is about you. I can tell you things we did in high school, pranks, et cetera, just try to get people. It wasn't purely for fun. You wanted to make them think, yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you're trying to stimulate a real discussion, and it's actually the provocateur. It's a Youngian art type, you know. And the people like us, we were valued. Kings would invite us to dinners and see us at a table with people who didn't know each other to get conversation going. Just say something that's provocative and you get a lively discussion. And when you have that, people have a good time. They walk away feeling refreshed.
Speaker 1: Well, since we're having a conversation as opposed to just making it about you. I find in today's group think world a lot of times if you don't say and follow the accepted norm or whatever, there's trouble.
Speaker 2: What kind of trouble?
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, I'm inter interacting with people. When I write something, people responding, which is you know, there's a direct communication, which is different. But let's say there's a political issue, okay, and I go to somewhere. Everybody's got an opinion. Most of the people are getting their opinion from television. Who are our demo? And you say, well, no, that's not true.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: They say, you know who the fuck is this guy? What the fuck does he know? So just to stay on the same topic. One thing I've noticed in the music business the very top person at all these enterprises, the labels ag live nation, they can hear something contrary. They're open, whereas the people below have drunk the kool aid. And it's very weird for me in the environment because I like to be stimulated, which is the flip side of being a profocateur. And we grew up when there was a huge middle class. No one ever wanted their kid to be a musician, but there were always the kids in school were artists, musicians. Who knows what would happen to them in life? Where today money trumps everything and that is the answer to everything. And it makes me be alone a lot of time, because when I interact with people, it's like, no, you know, that person makes money, they're good, just be with the program.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll look at it from a slightly different skew. I think every one of us has got Trump and them, and every one of us has got mother Teresa, you know, And that's the that's the great human conflict, is altruism versus greed.
Speaker 2: It's probably going to be the undoing species. But that conflict is it's just part of life. So when people are reacting emotionally to things that they see, whether whether it's AOC or Trump, you know, it's because they see part of themselves in that, and it's reprehensible. They don't want that to be whichever side you're on the argument, they don't want that to be part of it. I think we all it's in our DNA man, you know, like altruism and community action. DNA knows that that's better for survival. And you can find if you should go through all there like seventeen eighteen species that have been identified as being altruistic and they survive. They do well. But a certain amount of self interest is necessary for survival too. It's a constant battle. I think It's what I think that's what's really making people crazy, is that the conflict you see in the society is really an inner conflict all of us. That's why that's why these times which are really polarized, driving us nuts.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's compare them to fifty five years ago. So the late sixties, huge anti Vietnam movement. I went to unlike University of Michigan, I went to a small college. You could literally pick out the Republicans on campus.
Speaker 2: Same thing.
Speaker 1: The music was identified with left wing causes, etc.
Speaker 2: So how do you.
Speaker 1: Compare what was going on then to what's going on now?
Speaker 2: But i's see happening right now. Yesterday they basically passed a tax package that gave breaks to the very wealthy at the expense of the medical care of the average people. I see. I see altruism and empathy being cast in a negative light, and that that's that's the big difference. Altruism wasn't held in the negative. It was a virtue. And now I still think it is a virtue, and a lot of people think it's still We've yet to see what the reaction to everything that's going on in the last few months is going to be. But I think I think we all have it in us to be altruistic.
Speaker 1: Now, you have children, I don't have children, so we're both in our seventies. Do you detach and say there's just too much I'm gonna do what I'm doing or do you get involved?
Speaker 2: Well that's the million dollar question man there, And also how you what you consider to be involved. I believe making music that helps helps you deal with this conflict is vital and I see that as activism, And honestly, that was the thing that made me want to get into music. Seriously, it was to it was to make music that would help people deal with the chaos and confusion and uncertainty of being a human being. It's rough, It's really rough. Man. We don't know. We don't know if we're going to die in the next ten seconds, if our loved ones are going to drop in the next ten seconds. Everybody gets fired, everybody gets divorced. What do you hang your hat on? Man? You know, it's it's it's tough, and music can really help you deal with that and bring great comfort and open and openness to, you know, to the situation. So I see making music being a form of activism and it transcends individual issues, you know that that people argue about. You know, it's it, It goes beyond that. There is a there's a human politic. That's that's more ah, more soulful.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, when done right, what does it look like?
Speaker 2: Well, when done right, it looks a little bit like the Rolling Stones. If you want to know my feeling about it, I spent thirty years working with them, and in that band you have really different different mindsets, you know, sometimes one hundred eighty degree opposite mindset, which is where the beauty in that band comes from. Because when they find a place in the middle where all sides are represented, the whole becomes greater than the sum of the parts. And that's a just by going out and being that, having having their own personal conflicts public, and having the having people come to a stadium, one hundred thousand of them at night. Looking at these guys not only coexisting on stage, despite you know, any differences they may have artistically, but actually being great together. That's inspirational. But there's one point. Well, We're working on an album called A Bigger Bang around two thousand and four, and I was reading Phil Jackson's book Sacred Hoops, and I caught the parallels between a rock and roll band and a five man basketball team. And this was, you know, maybe a couple of years after seeing Kobe score eighty points and the Lakers lose the game, I started quoting from the book about passing and teamwork and being aware of where the other people are on the court at all times. I started reading passages during dinner to Mick and Keith, who like they fucking hated it, but they hated it because they knew it. They're aware of it already. They know that when they passed the ball musically to each other and when they work together as a unit, did the greatest band in the history of the world, and that it means something to everybody who listens to the music and sees them play together. They understand that, and they understand that they got a responsibility that comes with that, and to me, that's activism.
Speaker 1: Let's just go back one step before we go back to the stones. You talked about, Hey, a society, we don't know if we're going to die in ten seconds whatever. You don't know if you're going to get divorced. How many times you been married?
Speaker 2: They're married twice.
Speaker 1: How old were you when you were married the first time.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if i'd actually marriaged, but we moved in together when I was nineteen, lasted eleven years, probably should have lasted, you know, eleven minutes, but a lot of good things came from that. And my second wife been with her now forty some years.
Speaker 1: And your kids are with your second wife.
Speaker 2: My oldest kid is with my first wife? Is with the younger the first wife, Yeah, the the oldest one, Tony.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know about the second wife. I don't know about the first wife. You moved in together when you were nineteen. How did you know her?
Speaker 2: She's my neighbor. Yeah, I was going to University of Michigan. She lived downstairs from me.
Speaker 1: You know, at a state university. Of all these socioeconomic classes, what was her background relative to yours?
Speaker 2: There wasn't a whole lot in common except where we're horny kids. Oh okay, so, which is a pretty good common ground.
Speaker 1: We've all lived in it whatever, at least in our generation. Okay, so you drop out to play music. Does she stay in school or does she go with you? What does she do? She?
Speaker 2: Uh, she was a month she's older than me. She was like a month from graduating. Oh really yeah, but then she's in nursing school. Didn't want to be a nurse, so so we moved to Detroit from an arbor. But she did graduate. No, I she strapped out.
Speaker 1: Okay, where's she todaym Skeig in Michigan. Okay, if we go to the end the eleven years, how did you finally blow the whistle.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, the details are kind of personal and I wouldn't go into them other than to just say, eventually you have enough, then there's enough. And when you have kids in the picture, you you gotta do what's maybe best for them, best for them meetings split up in this case. Yes, okay, So going back to the Stones, how'd you get to work with Stones in the first place. Well, I'm not exactly sure. You know, I started. I went from being a bum to having hits and we wait.
Speaker 1: You're a bomb. There was not was walk the Dinosaur. You have success, you expand it. Actually, I want to get into that a little bit. You have the big breakthrough with Bonnie Raid was the Stones thing. As a result of your success, they were looking around.
Speaker 2: I think actually the record company was looking around. My first meeting with them was I'll tell you a story, man. I went to meet them at essay hour because they were auditioning bass players to replace Bill Want So I got to sit there and watch a set of The Rolling Stones with a different bass player, like from two feet away. And it was mind blown because, as a lifelong fan Sam for the first time in nineteen sixty four, went to every show about every album. Now I'm in a room watching him play on my mind. Then Mick and Keith come and sit down on the sofa next to me, at their face and me. They're on either side of me, and they both start talking at the same time, and Keith was, from what I could get, very hard to follow. I was going back and forth, like you know, like watching a tennis stern. Keith was telling me all the reasons that they didn't need a producer, and Mick was suggesting reasons why they did need a producer. But they weren't yielding to the other guy. For about two minutes, which is an excruciatingly long time to be sitting there. In the middle of that, they both kept talking, trying to talk over the other guy, and then they paused, and then Keith said, you sure you won't be the meat sandwich. I walked out of there, thinking, well, I got a good story from my grandchildren, but I'm never going to hear from them again. And and then I've been trying to think of what actually happened, you know. Then then Keith called me up about a week later and he said, maybe I was a little rough on the idea of a producer. He said, I got an issue here. He said, I'd like to use Don Smith as the engineer. And I'd been working with Don Smith.
Speaker 1: But Don did the new Barbarians records.
Speaker 2: That the expensive Winos records, the Solo records, which I thought was a really good sonic template for a rolling Stone celt And I thought Don was just a wonderful engineer. Man. He's gone now, but he had a real gift, so he said, but he said, doesn't want me to use them because he doesn't he wants an impartial guy. And I said, wow, he's he's my guy too, you know. I said, I'll call Mick, and I said, and Mix said, all right, if you're saying he's your guy and that he'll be impartial, I'll go with it. So I call him. Keith Backer said, all right, we got Don Smith and he said, all right, your name's not was it's his or some Well.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to the original meeting. During the audition, they have their conflicting stories. You had to sell yourself a little bit.
Speaker 2: What did you say? I don't remember, well, do you honestly do you remember selling yourself? My memory of it is seeing them play and like not being able to believes in a room with them and then having the two of them talking at me. Okay, same time.
Speaker 1: Most people don't realize that what most people say is complete horseshit. Things don't happen by accident.
Speaker 2: In that you have to have.
Speaker 1: The right personality. You have to put yourself in the right situations, and frequently you have to ask, Okay, what do I know you're in?
Speaker 2: Was not? Was?
Speaker 1: I go to the VMA sometimes in the nineties you're running the house band. I remember you played that song from Extreme Wholehearted, which crack me up. Okay, that doesn't happen by accident. Okay, you don't sit at home, especially someone like where you were at the time and the phone rings. You have to work it a little bit.
Speaker 2: So what's your style of working? Well, I'll probably stems from my dad, you know, who is a guidance counselor counselor and very cool headed guy, didn't get worked up, and he listened to people, and he was empathetic and a diplomat. I guess that's my style. I don't really, it's really hard for me to identify that kind of thing. I can tell you this to get to the point where I was in a meeting with the Rolling Stones. That took some doing for a number of years, and it wasn't easy getting over. There was a point in the somewhere around in nineteen seventy nine, bad inflation, remember whipping plation. Now it was tough. I was playing five nights a week in a bar and Detroit. I loved the gig, but I was taking home one hundred and twenty five bucks a week and I had a wife and a kid. Couldn't get by on that. My goal in life had been to be able to play music and never have a job that was just a job that I didn't care about. But it became pretty clear that I was going to have to do something. I was falling deeper in debt every month. I was making up fake resumes and still couldn't get a call back for anything. And I was unqualified for anything except really playing bass and bars, and I knew a little bit about making records. So I had to get a job, and finally I found one where there was a I can't think what the program is called now, but it was like a domestic peace corps where the government Vista the Vista Vistorship and the government would pay half your salary for six months if an employer would teach you a trade. So I was able to get a job preparing copy machines. But after about two days in the gig and by the way man, I thought my life was over. I was so depressed. I used to drive to work mad Maverick without a passenger door. A cassette like a realistic is a radiosop that I had to duct tape to the seat because I couldn't afford to put one in the dashboard right. I didn't want to slide on and I made a cassette that I'm front and back, just had the song satisfaction. I can't get no sense, and I drove to work Mad. I can't get no thing. My life was over. Two days in it got worse. The boss said, you know, when you're out there repairing copy machines, we want you to also sell some paper and toner to the clients. And we don't think you know anything about selling, so we've enrolled you in the Dale Carnegie sales course. And I was like, oh God, the thing I had to go to at night. I walked in. You've read Death of a Salesman. It's me and five Willie Lowman's right, like older guys trying to onto their gigs and refresh their sales technique. Oh man, I thought i'd hit rock bottom. The first assignment you had to write down where in your wildest dreams you wanted to be in one year, five years, and ten years. Then you had to get up and read it to the read your list to the room. And man, that's a hard thing to do, to admit what your wildest dreams are and then tell a bunch of strangers. You know.
Speaker 1: One of the things you know Bob doing obfuscates all the time, but he also does a little bit of hypher his records. One time on sixty minutes sometime the last twenty five years ago, he goes, I won't tell my hopes in dreams because people just laugh at me and give me a hard time. You got to keep them interior.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's interesting. Well that's that's I think that's a very human response. It was really hard for me to do this. But if you've bottomed out right far ago, right, So I did it. I really thought about it, and I wrote this down a little piece of paper and I got up. I was the first guy, and in one year I said I want to be out of this fucking job. And I got the big laugh of the night for that, because everyone was there to try to keep their job. In five years, i'd like to produce a record that comes out, and ten years, i'd like to produce an artist who some big artist. And after I said it to everybody, I looked at the piece of paper, How hard can this be? Man, here's an orderly list. Man. So within a month I had a record deal for it was and I was We got our first deal, and I used by the way, I used the techniques that I learned in the Dale Carnegie course to get the deal, you know. And within a year and a half Carly I was producing Harley Simon and that was my poy.
Speaker 1: We went a little bit slower. What were the lessons they taught you?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's just like, uh, you know, don't just if you're if you're doing a sales pitch, you got to keep people saying yes. So if you're if you're the fuller brush man going door to door, if I could show you away that you wouldn't have to work so hard, scrub and your sink you'd want to know about it, right, Yeah, sure, and you just keep saying yes and then you go for the kill after about twenty yeses. So I'll say I used that technique, David wasn't. I. We knew we wanted to be on a label named Z called Z Record Ze, which was doing They were doing really cool dance music, subversive dance music at that at that point in time that people were still doing these remixes that had all the strings and it was a very studio fifty four the worst things you can imagine when you say the word disco, which does that doesn't bring up bad feelings for me. I love dance music and I love those records. Some of them were cheesy in formulated, so there was something in the in the zeitgeist at the time. The remixes like franzoisk of Orkian, they were adopting like dub techniques basically Lee Scratch Perry techniques and applying it to dance music and not just doing an instrumental verse and sticking and that in the middle and bringing the bass drama. So we started messing with that and we thought, how can we Trojan Horse a meaningful message on top of a dance beat that was that was kind of the goal and uh and it seemed like Sea Records was doing that. It was headed by a guy named Michael Zilka. Very bright guy, cool guy, and I'm grateful for life to this cat.
Speaker 1: Okay, way a little bit slower. While you're working in the copy or repair of business, is there a band or just you and David with a fantasy?
Speaker 2: Me and David with a fantasy and a couple of songs. And I knew a lot of musicians because I and I'd been i'd been working in studios. I would go to the studio. I'd play in the bar till two o'clock in the morning. Then from two to like eight, I'd go to the studio. And there's a there's a great studio in Detroit called Sound Sweet Studios. And they were just extremely kind to me and generous. They gave me the key and if no one was in there after midnight, I could go in and work till someone else came in. So we started cutting two songs, and you know, and I was playing all the time, So I knew great studio musicians. And we had Marcus bell Grave come in we had Mark S. Belgrave was a great jazz trumpeter, kind of the dean of Detroit jazz musicians, played with Charles Minger's toured for years with Ray Charles, but chose to stay in Detroit and play and teach WAYN. Kramer from the MC five, who I didn't know at that time. He became one of my dearest friends. But we just called him cold and asked him to come in and play. He ended up going on tour with us on our first version, and Sweet p Atkinson and Harry Bowenes, who I just knew from hanging around the studio, so I knew the players, and we started. We made these records on a shoe string, and then I had to sort of abandon it to take this job.
Speaker 1: Well a little bit slower, a little bit so, so you have X number of tracks and you personally go to the record company get the deal. There's no manager, no lawyer, no anybody.
Speaker 2: We didn't have a manager or lawyer. But here's what we did to David was it was the jazz critic for the now defunct La Herald Examiner. So we concocted the scheme where David called Michael Silka under the guys of doing an interview, but I don't even think he was rolling tape. He got forty five minutes into the interview and then he said, you know, as I'm thinking about it and talking to you, there's this band in Detroit that you got to hear. He said, Okay, if I have the guy call you after we do the interview, Michaels, Yeah, of course, I'm cute a fed Ex cassette but wheel me out and Hello Operator on our first two songs. Sent it to Michael and he happened to play it while August Darnell from Kid Krill and the coconutsu was a big artist. He was in the office and August just loved the record and reinforced the thing a Michael that it was great and they signed us.
Speaker 1: Okay, a little clean up work. If David is the jazz critic for the Herald Examiners, he living in l A. Yeah, he's living living okay. And how long did you actually work in the copy repair of business?
Speaker 2: Six weeks? Okay.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine there was a ton of money in this record deal, was there?
Speaker 2: No? But I learned a lesson previously we'd cut a twelve inch on Sweetpea, a dance record of him covering Bob Seekers heavy music. Okay, it was good man, and Sweetpea was like the voice I always wished I had, you know, he was, he was my vocal hero. I was just thrilled to meet him and know him. Such a character, such a you know, an intimidating character at first, but huge heart of gold underneath. Tough guy. You know, no one, no one ever wants to mess with sweepy. But we got this record and we sent it off to Oh it was an offshoot label that Epic Records had, Lenny Pets Portrait Portrait Records. Yeah, Lenny Pezzi was the head and he and he loved it. So then we got an attorney, big guy in New York. Oh, simple, simple deal man, you know. So twelve inches the deal from nobody's man. Just we should have paid them to put it at. But this guy negotiated for six months, ran his bill up to where we couldn't afford it, and then they closed Portrait Records. We took so long to make the deal. Well, I'm never going to do that again, right right, right, So there's no lawyer I called, you know, I talked to Michael Silka. I said, just take it, take the record, put it out. I guarantee you if you put it out, you'll come back to us and we'll do an album deal. I guarantee you get I'm confident enough that you get a response. Just take it, you own it. We want nothing. Put whatever you want in the contract. So we did that and he put it right out and turned into an album deal. We actually had a plan. I got the list of stores that reported to the Billboard Dance Charts his presound scam right, So I knew the R and B DJs in Detroit, and I knew the promo guys, independent guys, and I knew to hire them and get us some airplay. And then I knew the stores that reported, and so if they ordered six records, I just went in and bought up to six. And all anybody saw was reorders. And that's what stood out. It's getting on the on radio somehow and people are reordering it. That probably wouldn't have been enough, but as it happened in England, people just dug it. It was. It was alternative dance music, alternative club music, which was a cool thing at that moment. In time and Z Records was highly respected. So based really on the reaction we got in England, Chris Blackwell was into it and Michael was distributing his records through Chris, so he signed us to our first album deal.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're nobody in Detroit, you get a little buzz, you end up on the island. When does it start to coalesce that you're on the landscape and you're outside of Detroit and you get to know people.
Speaker 2: It's hard to say. It seems like it seems like a there was a lot of struggle, is the way I feel. But really it's just a couple of years between between putting that first record out and working with Bonnie.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's like friends of mine managed one direction. They have no people have no idea how hard they worked. You know, they're working all day long. You're just seeing the end results now. You know, there were the day, the heyday, the pre internet days. Yeah, the label supported you, But when you were struggling, how much were you on the road. How much were you trying to make something great in the studio? What were you doing when you were struggling.
Speaker 2: It's trying to figure out how to make great records. I could hear what other people were doing. I'll listened to everything. I had the advantage of someone just before. You couldn't make records in your laptops, right, there were no laptops, right, There was no pro tools and none of that. So you had someone had to invest in at least half a million dollars you know worth of stuff, and more than that. Usually I had the advantage of someone letting us use the studio. The hard part about doing it and the provinces like that was that there were a couple of great engineers in Detroit, and they were very guarded with the knowledge. There wasn't this culture that there was with the musicians, like with guys like Marcus Belgrave who were there to pass the knowledge on. No one wanted to lose the work. We just had to figure out how to do it on our own, which I think is what makes our first record probably our best record, because we had no idea what the fuck we were doing, and we had no money really, so you know, you know, now, if I'm working on a record and we need something to build the bridge of the song up, yeah, called David Campbell. Have them write some strings. Have people come in. But we didn't have that kind of bread or know those kind of people. So we had to go out in the room and figure, all right, if we slowed the tape down a little bit so that this anvil is when you bang on it, it hits a note that rings that's in tune with the song. We'd bso it down so we were in tune with the anvil and then bam, hit it with a hammer and that note would be the sound. That was basically the orchestra and the bridge. Much cooler way to make records, so, uh, you know, necessity is the mother of invention. We made. We made some cool records because we because we couldn't afford to do it the standard way and we had no knowledge about how to do it the standard way.
Speaker 1: Let's go back, where exactly do you grow up in Michigan?
Speaker 2: I grew up in Oak Park, Michigan, which is just across eight mile from the Detroit city limits.
Speaker 1: Okay, Detroit was no own is its own scene very early there was New York, LA, eventually San Francisco. You're growing up, are you aware of Motown? Are you ware there's a house you drive by? Do you feel some ownership, or it could be in Timbuctoo.
Speaker 2: It's the samely we felt about the Detroit Tigers winning the World Series in nineteen sixty That's how we felt about Motown. That was victory for all of us. And there's a lot of local pride and even for yeah whatever in seventh eighth grade when those records started coming out, but I still felt tremendous pride it was coming from our town. And also there is a Detroit sound. There's a thing to the music that comes out of there. It has to do with a couple of factors. I think one is that, you know, post World War Two, people came from all over the world to work in the factory, and they all brought their cultures with them. So we grew up in the middle of this incredible cultural John Balaya, you know, it's just beautiful. And eventually the generation goes by and the lines start to blur and there's a regional sound that starts to starts to form. Another characteristic of Detroit music, which is probably best personified by John Lee Hooker, is incredible, honest rawness. I think that's because in a one industry town like that, everybody's in the same boat. You. You know, everyone's fate was tied to the success of the Big three automakers or success or failure, and if they were failing, they'd lay off workers, workers would move away. My parents are both in teachers, so if kids moved out of the district, they'd lay off teachers, they'd lay off barbers, waitresses, a get laid up. So everybody in town was in the same boat, and there really wasn't much point in putting on any errors because you weren't fooling everybody. I didn't know one person who liked least a Mercedes to impress their friends. They just call you on your bullshit immediately with backfire. So you get a really honest population there, and the music reflects that. It's raw and honest. John Lee Hooker, Mitch Ryder, Stooges, Empty Five, George Clinton, White Stripes, all the same thing. Really raw, edged, but very real and very and deeply emotional. So I forgot why we started talking about Believe. It's a great but I'm going to ask more questions. Do feel him?
Speaker 1: So when do you first play a musical instrument?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, I think I started playing piano when I was eight seminary eight.
Speaker 1: Okay, your seven or eight when you're eleven twelve when the Beatles hit, was that the transitional moment in You're getting deeper or it was something before.
Speaker 2: I was into it, and then folk music was actually right, Like there was a summer when Peter Palm and Mary was alternative rock and roll and so and hoot Nanny. It was a big show.
Speaker 1: Well that's what I told you that you have no idea even had its own TV show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, there was.
Speaker 1: Everybody had a nylon string guitar. You when everybody was singing the songs.
Speaker 2: So I was in sixth grade and we had a band called the Saturns and we did basically Peter Palm, Mary's first album, and then Tom Dooley, some Kingston trio and the first gig, actually my first gig sixth grade, hoot Nanny. The headliner was a guy named moish Last who talked guitar at the Jewish Center. The second on the and somewhere I got I still have the mimeograph. Flyer is Chuck Mitchell and wife. That's hysterical.
Speaker 1: That's Joni Mitchell.
Speaker 2: And then my band, our band.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're playing the piano. Does a piano migrate to the bass?
Speaker 2: What is thing? No, what happened was my dad went to I don't know, he was someplace, but there was a rock and roll band and he came back with a guitar that he bought for five bucks, which I still have, the old Harmony acoustic guitar. So he tried to he took some lessons and it didn't click for him, so he gave me the guitar and gave me all the chord charts and I started just learning on my own. But there was a turning point in February in nineteen sixty four. That's that's a life changing moment and up for a lot of guys age born in nineteen fifty two. I know an inordinate number of musicians born that year because we were tuned into Ed Sullivan. We saw the Beatles, we saw the girls screaming, we saw them having fun, we saw them making great music. And at twelve years old, you're just dumb enough to think I'm going to do that. Right. If you're older, I'd like to do that. But maybe I should get that teaching certification just to have something to fall back on. I think it must be the phrase, and if you're eight, it didn't register. So seeing that, we went out the next day and the guys my man, we all put pickups on our acoustic guitars and about amplifiers, and we got a drummer and there's no turning back from that.
Speaker 1: Okay, you talk about being on that bill with Mitchell and wife. Was that an anomaly or were you guys doing gigs?
Speaker 2: No, it's our It was our elementary school.
Speaker 1: It's a funas so once you once the beatles and you get motivated, and you know, we all live through that. Everybody's playing, everybody's forming bands, although we're certain people were more serious than others. At what point do you have a band and they play a gig?
Speaker 2: That band played gigs. We used to work in fact, where was that someplace? And I ran into like the grandson or the grand nephew of a guy who used to be a band. What used to happen was the adult bands that would play weddings and bar mitzvahs. They'd hire us to play in their breaks because we could play the kids stuff, especially at thirteen year olds. Want they didn't want to hear hovin ne Guila. So we play Beatles songs. So we were twelve thirteen and we'd have forty bucks in our pocket every week.
Speaker 1: You were rich, right, What were you playing guitar in those bands?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well the first band we didn't know about bass. I didn't know what bass was, and then we so we didn't have a bass player. One day we're looking at some pictures the Beatles studying it and we see McCartney's only got four strings. Fck that. I auditioned. I think I was in sixth grade, seventh grade. I auditioned for a band some guys who were older than us actually went out called the Shy Guys. They actually had a big hit, regional hit in Detroit, We Gotta Go. It was the number one record in Detroit, and they needed a bass player. So the leader of the group came over, came up to my bedroom and he said, all right, let's play something. So I grabbed my regular guitar and he said, let's do walk, don't run. So I play play the chords, but I'm very careful to only play on the lower four strings, thinking that's what bass guitar. He said, oh cool, He said, now play the bass part, and I said, well, I was Yeah, you see, I didn't play the be er these ron leftko. Guess he was kind enough to explain what bass was. Now, No, it's an octave blow, and so then I learned about it and they were There are four or five guitar players in my high school class who are better than me, and a couple of keyboard players who were better, and there were no bass players.
Speaker 1: Bingo, Okay, I don't understand the bass. I played guitar, guitar, Still have a guitar or whatever. The bass seems to be a calling. Okay, you know you have a guitar to play the rhythm, you can play the lead. There are people like McCarty plays very melodic notes, but historically most of the rock players do not. So is it something that you just it resonates go, oh, I know where this is in the record, I know how to do this? Or was it more of a chore?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's not a chore, man, I was wonderful. The beautiful thing about the bass is that if you wanted to, if you really wanted to play the bass, I could sit here with you for ten minutes and show you enough of the geometry of the neck to play any four chord rock and roll song you ever heard in your life. It's the easiest instrument to get by on, but if you want to really get deep and dig into it, it's beautiful. Look I'm seventy three and I'm just feeling like I'm getting the hang of it. And I had some lessons from Ron Carter in the last couple of years, and he showed me some things that blew my mind. Just Michelle and Daviocello, who's a artist sheet we talked about some stuff that Ron had showed me, and she showed me another approach to it. And it's the nuance. Something that seems tiny, the change of just the angle of a one millimeter with your fingers opens up a whole universe. I know that that sounds hyperbolic, but it's actually not. Well, here, I can actually tell you the story Ron Carter. I was playing with Bob Weir and we played a radio city musical. Ron Carter, who's my hero for life, the greatest bass player around ever. Right, he came and sat in with us and he played my bass, which I always wondered, what would this sound like if Ron Carter was playing this thing? So I got to find he played through my rig. The only difference was our fingers right, and Bobby records everything. So the next day I say, will get the tape, isolate the tracks for ron Carter playing a song, and then me playing the next song. Called ron Carter up, I said, all right, So, how come when I hear you play in the space it's the note It's just round and warm and perfectly symmetrical. And by comparison, my note sounds like it's made out of Swiss cheese with like holes in the note. And Ron Carter, who really doesn't suffer fools, you know, he said, well, you know, I can tell you what you're doing wrong if you want me to. Yeah, tell me. He said, you're not releasing the previous note before you play the next note. And he gave me some exercises to practice for releasing notes, and he was one hundred percent right. Something I just I'd have stayed in college I had learned it. That was probably a dumb move, that dropping out.
Speaker 1: Business you were studying music and going.
Speaker 2: I snuck in. Yeah, I couldn't get into the music college, but but no one wanted to be in the school in natural resources. Ecology was yet the word was yet to be coined. I think. So it's easy to get in there. And once I was in then I could start taking music classes and transfer.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go back to bass players. You know, even at this laid date, people Rivera Jocko Pastorio, Are you one of those people's.
Speaker 2: He's not my favorite bass player, but I'm in awe of what he does.
Speaker 1: He's Oh, okay, so your favorite would be Ron Carter my favorite? Yeah, anybody else in his league?
Speaker 2: Sure? I mean there are people today who who are blow my mind. You may not know their names, like Larry Grenadier is just an incredible bassis. Willie Dixon was a big hero of mine. I thought he I like the guys who don't play a million notes right, but hold the thing down and keep it swinging and choose interesting notes, but can groove like crazy and keep swinging and propel this thing forward. So Willie Dixon, James Jamison is, you know, for a myriad of reasons, just he's I think he's the greatest genius pick for the instrument up. He'd what Robert Johnson did on the guitar, he did on the bass. He it takes a whole band to cover all the turf that Jamison covered. He was melodic, he was playing counterpoint. It's like a percussionist, and he was holding down the low end all at once. People weren't really doing that. I like the ego free, supportive bass players who play minimal amount of notes, but they all mean something. The choice of notes. You don't have to play if you're in C. You don't have to play a C in the bass, play a G in the bass. A whole other emotional palette. It's opened up, So choosing the right notes to play is a big deal. Ron cardigtal tell I think that's the title of his biography. It's something to do with searching for the right notes.
Speaker 1: Okay, the obvious dumb question, you place the end up bass. There are bass electric bassed guitars with no frets. Is it feel or do you sort of memorize where the threts would be. What's the trick?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's feel. You can actually even if you don't hear it yourself, because especially you know when you have a really good bass that resonates as one piece of wood, even though it's a couple pieces of wood put together, you feel it on your body. It's very physical on the bass, and you can tell from the vibration whether you're in tune and you're just and you don't necessarily want to be perfectly in tune, you know. Brian Wilson once told me, he said, when when studio musicians when they started buying these personal tuners, when that came out and you didn't tune by ear right, he said, record's got all thin. He said, it doesn't sound good when everybody's perfectly in tune. And if you think about an orchestra, that's why an eighty piece orchestra is so huge sound because everybody's a little bit out, but among the eighty people, they fill in the gap and it turns into one note. But it's a warmer, fuller sound when you're not perfectly into.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's set the stage. It's sixty four. You hear the Beatles. In terms of what comes out of Detroit, we have Motown breaks around the same time where did Our Love go goes top forty goes big? Then in terms of what comes out of Detroit, it's big, is pretty much Mitch Ryder Okay, Stugents sixty nine seventy, same thing with the MC five. They don't make big commercial impacts. Bob Seekers on independent labels. You keep hearing about them. Was this something we live in Los Angeles, a giant suburban city. There's shit going on all the time that we have no access about we might hear about. Was it like that you're young or was there any pollination, any cross pollination intersection with that bigger scene.
Speaker 2: You mean a cross between like.
Speaker 1: You, Oh me, yeah, little DoD Well. You know it's like, oh, Bob Seeker his bass player lives down the street. I go to somebody's house, I listen. Oh yeah, I sat in on the studio or as they could have been in you know, Seattle for all you knew.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a there's a local consciousness that permeates that music, that makes it feel more personal, I think. But to me, there was effectively no difference in Detroit between Bob Seeger or the Beatles, or really John Sinclair, who was quite a heroic figure to me.
Speaker 1: Okay, John Sinclair, what do we know? You bought the original MC five record that wasn't uncentried. You open it up, you had a whole squeed. What we knew was John Sinclair was the manager with Air quotes and they arrested him for two joints. You know, this is not like today we could go deep into somebody. So what did John Sinclair represent for you?
Speaker 2: John Sinclair was the leader of the alternative culture in Detroit. He was a political activist. His role with the MC five was really in grasping the idea that you could have a guitar army, which is a phrase that he pined, and that you could change the hearts and minds of young people and open them up to bigger ideas through rock and roll. But he was a beat poet and an advocate for jazz, and he was just everywhere I knew, more as an anti war activist than as the manager of the MC five. And that was a minor part of his life, I would say, But he was He was local, but what he had to say was as influential as maybe John Lennon would have said, or what Bob Dylan would say. He was so that that was part of the beauty of having local cultures. It's something that's kind of gone now because everything's so global. You'd have regional hit records. You don't have regional hit you don't even have you know, you put a record up to stream. It's all over the world. Now you know that you can't I have a regional hit. It just doesn't work like that. But there you to answer your bigger question. I think when things were local, you could feel more a part of it. I felt a part of that culture in Detroit. I had friends who were more deeply enmeshed in it. There's a guy named Joel Landy who became quite an activist in Detroit. Body of mine. He ran the print shop for the alternative paper, the Fifth of State, which was next to Sinclair's Enterprises, right, And I remember he called me up and said, you got to come down here, man, And I got my car, drove downtown and the members of the MC five were jamming with members of Pharaoh Saunders band. Fuck man. I never heard anything like that in my life, and I actually I've never heard anything like it. Subsequent that became like a virtue, you know, that was something that could only happen in Detroit, and uh, it felt. It awakened a part of me, I felt, but I felt connected to it because because it just spoke to me as a as someone who lived in that familiar you know, Okay, you gained success. Eventually, John Sinclair comes out of jail. Did you have any personal contact with him later in life? We became really good friends. He's on a couple of us and I was records and I played on his albums, you know. And I played gigs with him too when I could.
Speaker 1: But did you know the times it changed he was in jail. I should know that he worked with you, but obviously I didn't. Was he the same guy with the same charisma?
Speaker 2: He never faltered man, you know, he passed man, but to this last breath. Man he was rebellious and a little crotchety about it, you know, but he did. He never surrendered when everybody else did, when everyone else said, he never gave up the fight. And it was it was an admirable quality. It represented real conviction. Most people he could have cashed out. It was several junctions.
Speaker 1: That's the story of our generation. You know, we protested in the sixties seventies, back to the Land movement. We're licking the wounds. Reagan legitimized greed. All of a sudden, everybody's values flipped. Yeah, you know, they wanted to make money. It was really very strange. You get some success with was Not was so Bonnie Rate he loses her record deal. Ultimately, the guy worked at Warners, working at Capital, they sign her. Where do you come in in that process?
Speaker 2: Before they signed her, what happened was there's a guy named Hal Wilner who was a very dear friend aside from COVID. From COVID early on, you know, the first couple of weeks of it. I think beautiful Cat just loved music. Earned a living by being the the music supervisor maybe of Saturday Night Live. I'm not sure what the title was, but any kind of music you heard in the things. He was responsible for that. But he invented the tribute record, and as opposed to getting all the superstars together, he put he would put together the most eclectic lens of people and and encourage you to stretch out, so he called us. Was Not was when we were still not No one knew who he were, and came to Detroit and had us cut something for a flneous a Monk tribute record. We had Sheila Jordan's singing with us, and we thought, great, freed from the constraints of making pop records, we can get out here and well, you know, it's like Carla Blaye was on the record. You can't out Carlo Blade right right right. So we just got lost in the shuffle because everyone was trying to stretch out. So I said, all right, next time, we're going to stand out by going inside and touching people's hearts. So the next album he had was a Disney tribute album. So we did an arrangement of baby Mine, which a very sad song in the movie Mother Elephant gets, you know, locked up in the cage and the baby comes and they touched trunks through the bars. If you don't cry in the scene, there's you need help. So we did like a real nice three four maybe six eight feel, but it was like an R and B kind of thing. And and from the arrangement, I just heard Bonnie singing because I've been a fan of hers since since she can't I bought, I got her first record, and so I played live at the ann Arbert Blues and Jazz Festival. So I always loved her, and Hell put us together. So we worked on that song and we clicked. We clicked musically and personally. She felt like a like a long lost sister to me. You know, I could just well, you can't help but love her, man, She's just one of the best people, biggest heart. H you did a wonderful moview with her, Oh thank you, and uh so we just clicked and it was like, well, let's do more stuff. Well I don't have a record deal, that's okay, just come on. I got a little I had a little eight track things set up in my house and we we started. We started doing demos for what would become Nicked Time. And it took some time to make that deal happen. She was managed by Danny Goldberg and Ron Stone at gold Ma and she'd been dropped by Warners and there was a stigma attached to that and took it. It took a minute to overcome that and find it is Joe Smith, who was part of letting her go at Warner Brothers and not happy about it, who gave her the shot that capitol. So you know, we made Nicked Time. We made it real fast, but we were prepared. We did something before we started the record. She came over to my place a number of times and we cut just demos with her either playing guitar alone or playing piano and singing, and we figured you know, if the song doesn't work with you playing it alone, whatever other layers stuff we put on, it's not going to make it work. So let's find you know, ten that and and so we're ready.
Speaker 1: Okay, So all the stuff you cut before the deal, none of those were masters. It was after the deal you recut everything.
Speaker 2: We recut everything, and we cut it pretty quickly. We didn't have a lot of bread. We had one hundred and fifty thousand dollars, which now actually seems like a big boat, right, but that was like that was minimal kind of budget in those days.
Speaker 1: Did you bring any of the songs or did she bring all the songs?
Speaker 2: I'm sure she brought all the songs. She's a great musicologist. People would send She always had boxes cassettes of demos. In fact, on the second album, Luck of the Draw, we'd cut most of the album. We were ready, but we didn't have the up tempost single that we thought it was gonna require. And she was going through every box and way at the bottom of like the last box, she found Shirty Elkhart's song something to Talk About Me. She said, I found it. But the thing about Bonnie is that she won't sing anything that she couldn't have written herself. That she didn't want to have to act. She wanted to draw from personal experience. So everything that we cut, if she wasn't a writer, it was something that she felt and was experiencing and was experiencing at that moment, which is the one reason her vocals are so great, because she means it.
Speaker 1: Okay, niked, time is done. You know, it has success that no one could foresee. But when it was done, how do you feel about it?
Speaker 2: I mean she'd been up and down.
Speaker 1: She cut, you know, records on FOD track at a summer camp she worked with Paul Roth, a Jerry raggvoy. Everything had been tried and nothing really worked. So you're there, I mean the record is done. You say, wait a second, there's something specially. He said, Well, you know, we gave it our all.
Speaker 2: We'll see what happens. We never considered that kind of success, the kind of success we enjoyed, never considered that to be in the cards. We just were trying to make something we'd be proud of in twenty five years. That was something that we have actually said, let's not compromise for the marketplace, don't imitate what's out now, because what was out then was like flock of seagulls, and you know, it was just the opposite, the antithesis of what she was about. Don't try to be eighteen. I mean that was another thing too. You know, it was such such a brave thing to write and record a song like nick of Time, because at that point, the conventional wisdom was that, even if you were closing it I'm forty, you had to pretend to be eighteen, right, And she just dropped that pretense, and she wrote to her age and not everyone thought that was a great idea, but no one considered that her audience was going through that exact same thing. Plus, I mean, plus it's time, it's nick of time? Is it that happened? That song is relevant to every generation somewhere in their forties, right, So it's a timeless song. But she was gutsy about it, and we hoped we'd get to the next record and make something that we'd be proud of. At one point someone came back to us and said, you know, we need a Motown cover, We need a single for this, And thankfully we were both on tour and couldn't get back together to do it me, because if we'd have done that, it would have ruined the album, I think, and everything that it stood for. So we just had to put it out the way it was. I remember Tim Divine was the anarch guy, and Tim came to the studio. We played it for him and he said to me, he said, you got a tux. No, I don't have a tux. He said, we'll get when you're going to the Grammys. My first instinct was to punch him right now, you know you like it, to just say you like that. You don't have to come in here and be all hyperbolic. But he was right, he heard it.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a very interesting thing with Bonnie. For a long time. My favorite record was the second record give it Up. Then she works with you. After a little bit of hiatus, having no label deal, you put on Nick of Time, very successful. Luck of the Draw is a peak that's actually for me and I told everybody involved except maybe you, that better than give it Up. So now you have the pressure of having had success. So what was the mental state of going in to record Luck of the Draw?
Speaker 2: Uh? I think we were remarkably cool about it, to be I think we were uh. I think it gave us confidence to follow our instincts. And by the way, when I talk about us, I can't talk about us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are you going to break down? You're going to mention the engineer here, very sad story.
Speaker 2: Ah, I can't talk about us without mentioning Ed Shirney Ship Bobby.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I became close. I mean I knew Ed Brobab probably ten or fifteen years before. Body became close just before he died. And I didn't really think he was going to die.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I guess I spoke with him, you know, one time, just before you because he used to talk to Al Schmidt every day they used to wake up. And then they both died.
Speaker 2: But you know, I.
Speaker 1: Guess he died before his time. And it's not like he died in his twenties. It's and he was such a you know, upbeat, fun guy. Not that he didn't have his darkness whatever, It's just not the type of guy you expect not to be here. It's hard to explain if you didn't know him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, He's a wonderful guy and just had this great spirit about him and he he changed the energy of the sessions. So much. He made it such a positive thing and relaxed people. And but in addition to all his human characteristics, he uh, he was a genius engineer and nick ad time and lucky to draw on. Those records are as much his design. Because we were torn. We didn't know how this record should sound. I wanted it to sound like Joshua Tree. I wanted dark and dry, and Bonnie wanted it natural like her other records have been. And Ed was coming from working with Quincy Jones on something and was putting long echoes on things. Long you know, long delays, long reverbs, and somehow we had to find a middle ground, and Ed came up with a way to use really short delays and really short reverbs that are imperceptible. You don't hear it as reverb. They sound very natural. They sound very dry, like you could have put one really great mic up in the room and balanced it in the room. Sounds very natural, but it's actually there's a lot of work that went into that sound. And people started imitating him. After that, everything got away from the long reverbs and people were going for some kind of intimacy again, and Ed was the architect of that thing. That's why I think of engineers and mixers. I think of them as architects because when you put on headphones, put your head right between the speakers, you can hear the you can picture a room. You can hear reflections off of walls, but those walls don't actually exist. It's not actually a photograph of the room it was recorded in. You create the illusion of a wall by putting a delay in there, and then a signal is bouncing off of this thing the same way you perceive like sonar, the same way sonar works, so you perceive walls. And the great mixers are beautiful architects. They build these imaginary rooms that compliment the music, don't overshadow the music. They compliment the thing and help the storytelling. And Ed built this beautiful space for Bonnie to sing these songs, and the intimacy of those records allowed her to communicate directly with people. Our goal is to make it feel like like you were driving your car and Bonnie was in the in the passenger seat next to you, leaning in and singing to you in your ear. That was when we when we talked about it at the beginning. That's what we're going for. And I think we achieved that and that's in you know, large part due to Dad.
Speaker 1: So how did you meet Ed and start working with him.
Speaker 2: Over that record? I didn't know him before that, and.
Speaker 1: So how did you end up with him?
Speaker 2: He had done Right Cooter's It is a bop to your draft. I'm trying to remember.
Speaker 1: Which I was earlier. Well, he did a Right Cooder record.
Speaker 2: He did a Right Cooter record right around the time. Bonnie liked the sound of it, so she said, let's let's get together with that. We went to move Sewing Franks and it was like it is like the three of us had known each other forever.
Speaker 1: Okay, Bonnie, after a number of records you no longer work with. This has happened with other acts. Why does it run out? And how do you feel about it?
Speaker 2: I don't know the answer.
Speaker 1: Well, you got to know the answer to how it feels when they don't call you.
Speaker 2: Well, we talked about making the next record, and she liked, ah, what's the the Lost Lobos record? How well the worst will survive? That one after that? The one that's very experimental, that that Mitchell Prum did, Mitchell Fruman, Chad Blake. She I just can't think of the name of the alright, but it's a great, incredible record. She wanted to go for more of those kind of sounds, and it wasn't really what Ed and I did, and there's no no value judgment on it. I said, well, yeah, you know, maybe you should go with Mitchell if you want, if you want that thing to do that. It was never We talked about it, and it wasn't. It was most amicable and and she made some great records too. So people, you can't keep you doing the same things, and you got to shake things up. I think that's just part of the nature of making records. We couldn't keep going with that sound. We did three records with that sound, and a live album that covered all the material and brought it together. And you want artists want to grow. I didn't take it personally. I hope. I don't think she took it personally. If we you know, we we're still wonderful friends to this day. That's just how it goes.
Speaker 1: Okay, you mentioned Pharaoh, Saunders and all these other people. Where does this jazz influence come from.
Speaker 2: Well, tell your story. I was I was fourteen years old in Detroit, my mom was making me drive around with her on Sunday running errands, right, and I just wanted to be at Northland Mall with my friends and to hang out with my mom. So it was a pretty crabby, obnoxious kid that afternoon. She was disgusted. She left me in the car, gave me the keys. He said, just play with the radio. I'll be right back. I remember were sitting outside of the Park Library. I'm messing with the tile, and I just randomly landed on a station that I didn't know it existed, because we didn't have FM radio in the house, right, And it was WHD, which was the jazz station. It was a very highly regarded DJ who's still on the air in Detroit in his nineties, by the way, a guy named ed Love who used to back announce records and was a jazz dis job. I came in on the station just as a song, which I later learned was Mode for Joe by Joe Henderson, which is a Blue Note record. And I didn't know anything about jazz. I'd probably heard it in the background and movies and stuff, but I didn't think about it ever. And right where I hit is where he starts as solo and you can check it. It happens about forty six seconds in the song. He's making these kind of anguish cries with the sacks. I'd never heard of saxophone and grabbed my attention because whatever Joe Henderson was going through that the sound he was making sounded like exactly how I felt being stuck driving around with my mom all day, so that it got my ears. And then I don't know ten fifteen seconds in the drummer, guy named Joe Chambers starts swinging on his ride symbol. And Joe Chambers stops howling and starts grooving, and I thought he was talking to me. I picked up a nonverbal message from there. I thought he was saying, don you got to groove in the face of adversity. And I thought about it, and he had just showed me how to do that. He started, no matter how how much angst he was experiencing, he couldn't resist the ride symbol and he started swinging. And I took the message to heart, and by the time my mom got back in the car, I was relaxed and a nice kid again, and I understood that there was something about this music that was highly communicative on another level than what I was experiencing with, you know, the Cherrell's or whatever at the same time. So I got an FM radio and started listening to this jazz station and just totally became enamored of this one company that was putting out all these great records. And then I saw the artwork. There was Blue Note Records, the little independent company out of New York. The covers were incredible, photography was amazing. It's black and white photography with these guys and cigarettes, smoke and saxophones and cool clothes and whatever. It was about that familiar I wanted to be part of it. I knew then wherever I can't figure out what room they're in the walls are black, I couldn't duck and dump it. This is the coolest stuff. Subsequently, I learned the roots of this music, which is that it comes from extreme oppression from the African the aspora, people who are here against their will and being forced to give up their culture or at least hide their culture. And they were able to hide it musically keep it alive. And that's where this music comes from. So it's popular all over the world because anyone who's oppressed, and there's oppression all over the world with all different kinds of people. This is the music that you should comfort and understanding of the situation. So I just became like a huge man. This music really spoke to me, and I collected the records. We used to get on a bus man we'd call around it. This goes back to the days before there were chain record stores. Every record store was a mom and pop store and reflected the taste of the owner a little bit too, So we'd have to call ten stores to find out, oh, you've got a copulary, young Unity. We'd get on the bus ride forty five minutes to the east side of Detroit just to hold the thing. It was four ninety eight or three ninety eight for the two ninety eight for the mono, right, three ninety eight for the stereo. Couldn't afford either one. But I could hold it and look at it, look at the pictures, and read the liner notes, and maybe you could con the store owner into breaking the seal and playing some of the record for you. I started collecting them. Never gone to me that fifty some years later, I didn't being president that label.
Speaker 1: Okay, A couple of questions, jazz had a peek conventional wisdom. Don't argue with me. I'm just putting it out. Pejorative jazz is dead, just like rock and roll is dead. Now now, there have been so many iterations of jazz, there's been smooth jazz, et cetera. How does someone who is not a jazz fan, where is the entry point?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's a that's a very good question to me. The essence of jazz or even improvisational music. I extend that to like The Grateful Dead and Goose and bands like that. They're conversations. They're there are people listening to each other and reacting. The best musicians are the ones who listen to what everyone else is playing and not only react, but suggests something new that advances the conversation further. Not every if you go to a party, not every conversation is for you. Right, you stand with some group of people and they're talking about some bullshit. You sort of back up quietly and find some other people to talk to. But you can always find something to sink your teeth into. And it's very much the same with jazz. I recommend going Easy kind of Blue by Miles Davis is a pretty safe entry point for people. Blue Trained by John Coltrane, which is the most popular catalog album that Blue Note's got. That's just it makes you feel good. You put those records on, you feel good. And the greatest misconception about jazz is that you have to study, you know, two years of music theory at the university level to qualify it to listen to it. And that's just not true. You shouldn't even be aware of the seams. You shouldn't know what these guys study to play like that. You should. It either speaks to you or it doesn't. And I don't love all jazz. You know that A lot of it doesn't speak to me. I don't like it when it gets too cerebral, when people are sometimes you can hear people. It reads almost like an application for a grant from a foundation. It's all in the head. I like it when it comes from the heart. It doesn't matter jazz or blues or anything. You know, any kind of music you want some well, at least I favor the non acrobatic, soulful, oh types of expression.
Speaker 1: Okay, what do we say to the people who know nothing but say jazz is discordant?
Speaker 2: When you're playing something else. When I first started Blue Notte, we started, we did some some research. We have focus groups come in of people, just every type of person. And what do you think of jazz? I hate jazz man, it's all discord It's terrible, all right, I understand that. Then we put on a Sidewinder by Lee Morgan. I say, oh, I love that. What do you call that music? If someone says it's all discordant, I don't dig it. I said, well, you're not listening to the right stuff. You know, it's understandable. How do you find it's hard to find your way in? That's that's That's one of the biggest things we've tried to do that Blue Note is to provide a nice pathway in, you know, to put out a welcome matt and let people come in. And of course it changes too, you know, the times change. When I when I started, the first meeting I had with an artist was with Robert Glasper, who played a very early version, rough mixes of Black Radio. I could tell them already, you know, I'd heard other people. Roy Hargrove was experimenting with hip hop ten years before that, but no one had quite put it together the way Robert did, and I was transfixed. I never heard anything like it, but I knew it would speak to a whole other generation of people, because the best jazz musicians take everything that they've absorbed and and incorporate that into the flow of their music. So Robert, you know, certainly that he grew up, you know, when hip hop music was popular, so that that's part of his thing. But here, I've heard him quote McDonald's commercials. I've heard him quote Bonnie Rait records. I've heard him quote Bruce Hornsby. Uh, you know, he's we're all musicians. You're you're you are the sum total of what you absorb in life and what you've listened to, and if you don't keep updating what you do to reflect who you are in that moment, then you're just basically a museum. You don't want to be a museum. That was one of the things when I first started a Blue Note. I wanted to know, why is it music that was recorded fifty sixty years ago relevant today? You know, why does it sound fresh and vibrant today? And what I found was that in every period of the company's existence, they always signed artist who had absorbed the fundamentals of everything that came before him, but then use that knowledge to create something brand new, whether that was The Loneliest Monk in the forties, or Art Blakey and Horace silver Invent and Hard Bob in the fifties, or Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock or Ntte Coleman, Eric Dolphie in the sixties, or glassper in two thousand and eleven. You have to it's got to be self expression, not you just copying someone else's self expression.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's just stay on that topic for a minute, people, Let's just talk rock music for a minutes. Yesha, very rare, extremely rare for someone to create something unlest we're talking about Bonnie Raid of the quality of their initial period decades later, especially today with recording revenues for most of these acts small. They make the money on the road, and the people want to wear, they hear, they hits. There's an occasional being like the Doobie Brothers puts out a record every couple of years, but most acts have stopped. Okay, do you think you're a record producer, Do you think it's a state of mind that you got them in the studio and you get two hundred thousand dollars, you can make something as good as they made in their legendary era. Is something in that quality or is it spent whatever headspace they were in, whatever that ship sailed.
Speaker 2: I don't think that there's like a singular cutoff point at which point you're doomed to just repeat what you did in your glory years. The artists that I admire most have it's it's cicular, you know, cyclical that you ride these waves of you're inspired. You ride a wave of an inspired time, and then then the trough of the waves when you're not inspired, and if you stay in it for forty fifty years, you get a couple of crests.
Speaker 1: Well, well, let's put it out differently.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Certainly, if you were a rock fan and you're buying records in the sixties, the interest leaves would have pictures of every album that whatever you bought Atlantic records, there were a lot of jobs, less McCann whatever. What do we know? Those records were never million sellers. This was a business. We like your music, we're making a record. We're not going to lose money because then we're going to stop. So when you're making records at Blue Note today, is that pretty much the goal we're documenting. These people are artists. We are not even looking at you know, the Spotify top fifty whatever in that. This is the modern world.
Speaker 2: I see albums. I still make albums, still believe in the album is a statement, but I see it I seem as postcards. You know, hey, Bo'm in Minnesota today. Man, it's great here heading to you know, we'll be in Saint Louis tomorrow night. Just dropping the mailbox picture. You're standing by the Paul Bunyan statue, right right right. That's what the albums are. This is where I am at this moment in my life.
Speaker 1: Well, this is very different from the pre Internet era, where the goal was to sell tonnage on every record on a major label.
Speaker 2: Ony. Yeah, well, I believe the best business plan is to make great records. If you make great records, you'll the revenue will find you.
Speaker 1: Okay, Blue Note, how many records you put out a year?
Speaker 2: We do around twenty Frontline albums, and last year we did fifty high quality audio, file quality vinyl reissues of.
Speaker 1: The catalog Frontline product. What's the budget for one of those records.
Speaker 2: It depends, could be Norah Jones, or it could be if it's a new jazz artist, it might be fifteen thousand dollars. Okay, how'd you get this gig?
Speaker 1: Good question.
Speaker 2: I was in New York City. I was producing a John Mayer record. Born and Raised twenty eleven, were recording an Electric Lady, and we took a night off. So I looked in the village voice just thought, oh God, and here's some music clear my head. And I saw that an artist named Gregory Porter was appearing at a little club called Smoke Up near Harlem. And I'd heard Gregory on the local jazz station, and I was blown away. I didn't know anything about him, but I heard a song called Illusion that he put out on a little independent label called Motima. I thought, man, you wrote this song, and he just sings it so beautifully, which is great poetry. And listen to his voice. Man. So I was thrilled to see that he was there. I didn't know anything about him, so I went up to catch a show there for three sets. Wasn't there on business. I just drank coffee, ate ribs and enjoyed all three sets. The next morning, I had breakfast with an old buddy of mine, guy named Dan McCarroll. I knew Dan when he was a Sheryl Crow's drummer, played Lloyd Cole Emotions, and he was married to Jane Oppenheimer, who was my assistant in the nineties, and that's when Dan came into the picture. I met him then, but over the years, his savvy as a musician of taste had gotten him to the point where he'd become the president of Capitol Records. And we weren't even talking about the music business, records or anything. But at the end of the breakfast, I said to him, Blue Not it's still a part of Capitol, right, you really should sign this guy. I saw last night Greg Reporter. He's quiet for about ten seconds. He said, now you should sign him. And completely unbeknownst to me, I don't know anything about the inner workings of Blue Note at that point. But Bruce Lonval, who'd run the company for thirty years, one of the great recordmen of all time, maybe one of maybe the most beloved executive among musicians. Even Bruce was ill. He had Parkinson's and he wasn't going to be able to continue, and they were looking for someone who could, who had an understanding of the ethos of Blue Note Records, but would continue to move it forward, not just remake the old nineteen sixties records. So he offered me the gig. And and my goal in life had been to not have a job or something that I considered to be a job. I never thought a guitar player or being in a band or making records as work. You know, it was fun. This is going to be something. Plus, I also knew that I was going to have to learn to understand a profit and loss statement. I never used excel.
Speaker 1: I haven't used it to this day, okay.
Speaker 2: And so I also know that you have a finite number of synoptic pathways that you can keep open at any given time, and when you don't use them, you shut them down to make room for the things you're currently using. So I thought, well, I'm gonna I'm gonna. I may learn how to do this, but I may never write a song. I can live with that. It seemed like a high high adventure to try to learn, but I was woefully unprepared. I don't know anything.
Speaker 1: About okay, but you know, it's not like the old days where it labels. Every five years, it would be turnover, get a new president. They wipe everybody out. You've had this gig for a long time. I would assume you don't listen. Everyone likes to get paid. But I assume you don't need the money.
Speaker 2: I don't need the Braain.
Speaker 1: Do you actually have an office? Do you actually go in?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, all I know is you're always out on the road with somebody.
Speaker 2: Well I learned, Well, here's the deal. OK. It took about five years to figure out how to do the job as myself. I couldn't be Bruce Man. Bruce was so good. If you wrote him an email, if you send him an email, he'd answer you within like thirty seconds. You'd get a reply. He always returned calls. He could do all these things. Now we have a living refutation of astrology, Bruce and myself, because we have the same birthday, September thirteenth.
Speaker 1: He was a time out timeout you believe in astrology.
Speaker 2: No, we refuted astrology because we are so different. But we were really different. And they were huge footprints, you know, to walk in possible to fill the shoes. But I couldn't be him, he couldn't be me. So how can I be myself and do this? And that may not be going into an office and sitting there and you know, just sitting there on the phone punching in and out from eight in the morning to five or whatever. That that wasn't my style. I found a style, do it? So what is the style? Get out in the world, man, and and and keep making music because someone's got to understand. But the artists are really going through someone's got to understand it. It's a it's a different mentality. You start talking to an artist about a deadline. We need we need, we need the credits handed in by October twenty eighth and the photos done by the November two. That just goes in one ear and out the other. Especially if someone's trying to portray life in the recording studio at the same time that you got to be in a completely different headspace. Someone's got to understand that that headspace. Someone's got to understand the relationship with the audience. You know, you're if you're running a business of getting music to an audience, you got to understand what the relationship is between musicians and the audience. Going out and tour with Bob We're was the best thing I ever did for Blue Note Records, because that's that you go in there night after night, the grateful that audience is such a great audience. Man, they're so tuned in man, sometimes with a little help, sometimes just on their own. But there's a real psychic connection between everybody in the room and between the band and the audience. We never play anything the same way twice. That's the wond room or whatever you played last night, don't do it because it's not going to work tonight. Everyone else is going to be in a different place. So just start fresh every night. And there will be some failures. There'll be some real train wrecks in the band. A song may fall apart. Audience doesn't mind that as long as you were doing it in the service of trying to achieve something great. And a couple times a night we will connect with the audience and you get this energy. You can feel it flowing from the stage into the audience and you can feel and see them responding to it, and it comes back to you and it becomes cyclical. It elevates the game and you can blow the rough off the motherfucker like that, you know, And and I don't know anything that's more exhilarating than that feeling when it's happening. And record companies need to understand that and that and that that's the kind of relationship you're They're not just you know, it's not like you're selling horn flakes to somebody. You know, this is you're dealing with high levels of consciousness and and and you're impacting people on uh, some really deep levels. And you got to understand that.
Speaker 1: Okay, how much administrative work do you do.
Speaker 2: Enough?
Speaker 1: Okay, you're on the you're on the road with Bob Weird. You know you're only on stage a very small portion of the day. Are you working on Blue Note every day?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Man? You know I'm up at eight o'clock in the morning on calls. And also you know, if you you know how people you put the names on the dressing rooms right mine's they's a Blue Note World headquarters. We're just a full time gig. Man. I go to bed thinking about it. I'm talking to the musicians. I can have better conversations with the musicians because I'm playing improvisational music.
Speaker 1: I'm not like, Okay, you're out with Bob Weir, but you're out all the fucking time. You're out with a band, you Last Waltz Tour, it seems like you're working all the time.
Speaker 2: It just seems that way. You don't see every day I'm there.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I'm not justifying your work, and I'm more interested in what is driving you to go on the road. It's got to be more than you know. Gives me insight and not every and you know, the electricity talk about a moment with the dead is different from a regular concert that is not improvisational. Not that the audience can't connect to a certain degree. There must be somebody, you know, is this type of thing where okay a month, okay, okay, I'll do it, or you really want to go on the road.
Speaker 2: I love I love play. But here I'll give you an example this because this isn't like a grateful dead improvisational thing. When you mentioned the Last Waltz Tour, which we do heavy so often with Warren Haynes and Jamie Johnson and John Medeski and a rotating cast to other characters too. One year I was positioned behind Warren Samp clocked it in at about one hundred and thirteen decibels. The sound coming out of it had the back cover off, and it was just hurt in my ears and I don't like to use in yours. I want to be in the thing. But it was really loud. We got to I should be Released, which was like kind of a climactic moment in the show, and I look at this audience. We're playing theaters twenty five hundred, three thousand people every night, and we light it up a little bit in it. You see everybody standing up, you see people crying, hugging each other. That song means so much to him. It's such a great song. I should be released. I mean something different to everybody. Everybody, but everybody's got something that they need to be released from. And I thought, all right, man, if I got to damage my hearing, I can't think of a better way to do it than bringing this kind of feeling to three thousand people tonight. If I'm I'm willing to lose my hearing this, how is your hearing? It's good?
Speaker 1: Get older? Yeah, okay, I'm gonna jump. What was going through your mind? And how did you make cap in the Brian Wilson movie.
Speaker 2: I was producing my old school buddy Doug Figer in his group The Knack right around the corner from here. In fact, and Doug and Burton Averar the guitar player, had laid the Smile bootlegs on me. I was unaware of I knew about it, but I didn't really know the story. Holy cow, man, I got so deep into listening to these things it just blew me away. And then the mystique about them being unfinished and fragmented like that, probably to the detriment of the Knack record. That's all I was listening to. And sometime we were still making the record, I got invited to remember it was Red Hot and Blue. Was that with this album? Are Gone Pediatric Aids or AIDS benefit? Yeah? Yeah, So Elizabeth Taylor was hosting a party. I thought, well to Jim, and I went and I get into theffet line. There is Brian Wilson and doctor Landy standing right next to me, so I couldn't contain myself. I was so steeped in all of his music at that point, and I was just rantic about how brilliant it was, and I think he appreciated it. The invite.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, wait, I've had my interactions with Brian from going back forty years to more recent stuff on the bus whatever. It's not a regular conversation.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 1: So you testify. When you testify to the average household name musician, yeah, most of them just say thank you. That's not the way to connect with people and say you know that's not you. But you can't hold back at certain points. But occasionally get someone and.
Speaker 2: Said oh yeah, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: So normally Brian most of the time blank, other times sort of enthusiastic, over amped. I mean, what was his reaction to you testify?
Speaker 2: I think it meant something to him that someone had listened that closely and heard what he was trying to do.
Speaker 1: So you were talking about the smile, that's.
Speaker 2: How much smile stuff and being very specific in my references, more specific than I could be today. I was steeped in it, and I guess I heard what he was going for and it meant something to him, and just you know, finish your shrimp and you come come to the studios. So they invited me to the studio. I went over there and we became pretty friendly.
Speaker 1: Do you have any idea who you were when he met you?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but yeah, he knew I was a producer. I guess yeah. But we became friendly and then I played some gigs with him, would just be me and him. He played piano and sing. I played bass. It just one off charity things. One Sunday we played something. It was something for the Elizabeth Glazer Foundation. She was still alive. Then it was somehouse up in Benedic Canyon in place, big, big place for a huge backyard. Ronald Reagan was there, Paul Buls, a bunch of people there, and Brian and Jackson Brown were the entertainment. His families in the afternoon. So Jackson was brilliant. And then then we played and we just made a mess out of California girls. It was terrible, and Brian said to them like, oh man, we really fucked that one up. And then everyone came and got their kids, and then we did some damage to another song, and then we got to Love Mercy, and the sun was going down on the mountain in front of us, so it was just a beautiful scene. And he connected on such a profound level to that song that I think I stopped playing at one point. WHOA, I didn't know he still had that in him, and it was just sublime. Man. It was just a beautiful version of that beautiful song and a beautiful message. And I thought, oh man, people could only see this part of them. So al Teller was running a MCA at the time, and he offered me a label deal. I said, you know, man, I don't do these little pop records. He said, no, no, no, just be yourself. So I signed Chris Christofferson, Felix Cavaliery and then Brian Wilson, and I had first job here is to clean up at this point. Now by the time I'd made a deal with him, by the time we got around to that show, in fact, Elizabeth Glazier's thing Landy was gone. He was an obstacle to progress. And I signed him to signed him to our label, and I thought, the first thing is, let's get all the unsavory stuff, the National Inquirer kind of twenty four hour shrink stuff. Let's get that out of the way. Let's get the focus back on why this is probably the greatest record maker of all times. So I thought, well, let's make a documentary film. And I could see it in my head. I knew what it was supposed to be, and I started taking all these meetings and anyone who's going to kick in money had some opinion about what it should be, and just fucket, man, I'll pay for this myself and I'll direct it. I didn't know anything about directing doctor, but I knew what story to tell, and I was able to surround myself with the great people. I had a lot of help, great DP, great editor, great producer, and we made this little thing that was really supposed to be kind of an infomercial just to change people's minds and get the focus back on. Submitted it to Sundance. I got accepted at Sundance. So now Brian and I we're going to go to Sundance. We'll show the movie and play afterwards. And we got all these offers all of a sudden, I was a documentary director and we were in profit before we started. All the money came back and we made TV deal, some home distribution deals, and it was a nice glimpse into who Brian was. It still holds up to this day. I think is a nice portrait of him. And people got to see him singing his songs with the degree of musicality that he was capable of bringing. To the songs, and it got his confidence up and he started going out on tour after that. I never thought he could get to We made it because I didn't think he could get through a show. But he certainly could, and he went on to do some incredible things that pet sounds to it and smile to it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm a huge Beach Boys fan. I mean gigantic. I tell people all the time. I've been tell him for fifty years to I live in California because of the Beach Boys. There are some very surprising moments, most of them in the seventies. Marcella carl and the Passions not mediocre record. That track is unbelievable. Of course, there's selon Sailor on holland good.
Speaker 2: Time in on La the Light album.
Speaker 1: But as he goes back on tour, because you and me both know he sang all the high parts on all those original records, it seemed to me a little bit of the Emperor's new clothes. I saw him many times. Was evolved on a very oblique level with the redoers.
Speaker 2: Smile, and.
Speaker 1: His voice was far from perfect. Let's not talk about his psychological state, which always wasn't the best and I had inside information. Did he still really have it those last thirty odd years?
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, And I remember when we were we were recording something and had a studio full of guys Waddie Ben montench Keltner. We were cutting some song for him and he was sitting at it. He walked in and sat down at the piano, put his head down, and I thought he was asleep, right, But we just kept cutting the song and we get to like the third verse. All of a sudden, we're here in piano and his head still down. I thought he was Gone's bilt man. And he played the most exquisite part, and he obviously was just waiting for that to roll around, and he was just listening and he had that absolutely had that spark. And I'd seen him. There's a group of folks who we used to get together with him some you know, not that long ago, maybe six months ago. We'd have outings at Moose on Frank's and he still has unfinished material that he wanted me to work on, and you know, talked a little bit about that. I think he Yeah, I think he was enigmatic. You never knew how present he was, but he'd always surprise.
Speaker 1: You Okay, forget you go to sundance. Yeah, that means you've got to spend a good amount of time with him not working.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Could you have a conversation like a regular personager?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I mean, well there's nothing regular about him. Okay, but could I have a conversation yes, And he lived a really interesting life and you know, remembered everything, even towards the end. He remembered everything from the past and could tell you great stories. And also, sometimes it's just not necessary to make aimless chatter small talk. You know, sometimes you can have an artistic relationship with someone that transcends that.
Speaker 1: Okay, then let's switch gears back to the Stones. They agreed to make a record. Stones they legendarily would make records. They'd bring in a piece that was recorded years before, they would write the songs in the studio. People did that after, but they were one of the first people. So what is your role. Now, Let's say you're finally working with the Stones. Certainly, as time went on, they made some records that were not as good as the early records. So your goal is to get beyond that. So what do you do?
Speaker 2: Well, the first thing is just start with songs, which, by the way, is something peculiar to the Rolling Stones. It's for everybody. If you don't have great songs, you're not going to make a great record. So it was to try to encourage them to write to the level of greatness that they.
Speaker 1: Ok, let's be clear, you make a deal. Do you have the studio time booked? Are they writing these songs before you go to the studio or are you waiting for them to write songs for you do go in the studio.
Speaker 2: They were working on songs before I got together with them, and then I went to Ireland. They're the rehearse in at Ronnie Woods Place, and both Mick and Keith were incredibly prolific. In that period of time. There were probably forty to fifty songs really parts of songs that could be developed. Yeah, they had a lot of stuff. Ah, and so it was narrowing it down and I tried to I remember muh trying to get them to agree to write the lyrics before we got to the studio, so that we could shape the tracks to the molder of the lyrics. And I thought I remembered Keith saying, all right, great, we'll do that. I came home from Dublin and I get a fact from him. A couple of days later. He said, all right, we're starting Tuesday. B Uh, you know, get back on a plane, be here. We're gonna cut it. Wind Mill Lane backed them back, said, wait, I thought you were going to write lyrics to the songs. He said, just remember when you get here, improvise adapt overcome and pe fuckings don't paint yourself into a quarner. I thought, shit, I lost them before we even stopped. But it was great advice. I ended up making shirts of it from his facts improvised adapt overcome on the back pe fucking s don't paint yourself into a corner. And it became kind of a mantra like just open up your mind and.
Speaker 1: Okay, you show up next Tuesday. Where are you working.
Speaker 2: We're working at Windmill Lane. Okay.
Speaker 1: Is there a thought that you're going to finish something or is it we're going to be here for month? Lord only knows.
Speaker 2: I think we had a finite timebook and you thought you were going to finish an album in that time. Now we're just going to get basic tracks cut. Okay, Yeah, and so we did. I think food Launch is a really good record. Every album I did with them, there was a we did a version that was thirty six minutes long. I was aware that there's a legacy that you had to keep up with. But albums like Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed, those those records are short, you know, and the songs because you because you have a finite amount of real estate on a vinyl disc, which was the main medium for it them right, so you really thought about do we need eight bars between the first chorus and the second verse. No, man, you'd probably do it with four, do it with two. Let's you know. You did a lot of self editing. And then in the CD era there was I think a myth that people would be willing to pay twenty bucks for this if you give them seventy two minutes of music instead of thirty six, which I think was one of the most damaging things that ever happened in the music business. That was a really bill informed strategy, because that means you just fill up the space.
Speaker 1: Well, it was worse than that because on a vinyl record, you knew the first track on both sides and the last track on both sides were the best tracks, so you would know where to start, whereas on a CD it ran all the way through where the fuck do you start?
Speaker 2: And that's a real thing. Also, each side would have a mood to it too, and it was it was very difficult to find seventy two minutes to listen to something as a whole, almost insane. Yeah, but Evan could find fifteen to twenty minutes to listen to a side. So we did versions that were tight edits and left out a bunch of songs, and it was really good, which stood the test of time against what's considered to be their classic period. I think there's some great stuff. I think there's great stuff on all the records we did. There's just maybe too much stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, these are very experienced people on every level, experience in the studio, experience stars. They know what their image is, whatever, what's the special sauce, because they proved a lot of records themselves, because the Glimmer Twins. So are you basically saying, well, you know, I gotta be low key and know when to hold them, when to fold them. What did you actually do?
Speaker 2: Well, there's a lot, you know, it's hard to just overgeneralize the thing. But it was first of all, keeping the vibe in the room conducive to making music, making good music and stressing. I wasn't Keith's guy. I wasn't mixed guy, a Rolling Stones guy. I love the Rolling Stones and I believe that they're at their best when they cooperate, and when you get both, you get everybody's essence on there. And I don't, by the way, I don't underestimate the power Charlie Watts or Ronnie would in this equation as well. Charlie was as important as anybody in that pill.
Speaker 1: You know, the stuff sends him and you know, on record and live it's like we were talking about ron Carter. They're playing, but if you're a student, you could hear the difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, they I got to play with them a lot, you know. If Daryl Jones couldn't make it to a rehearsal, something I play, and that really gave me a great understanding of what they were about, because it was and being on the interior of the conversation, I realized that all that, all the tension that everybody reports on and everything like that, which is based in reality, it vanishes the minute they start playing. The conversation is so jocular man, and they're they're tossing, they're lobbing beautiful soft balls right in the gloves. It reminds me what's it called in baseball before the inning starts, when they they're like four or five different balls being past.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you're talking about in a in a in.
Speaker 2: A baseball game before the inning starts, the infield or just toss balls around. Yeah, I think that's just the warm up. So that's what the Rolling Stones are like. They're playing musical. Charlie plays something on his high hat to Keith to pick up on and play off of it. That would affect how mcphrased. And it was jocular and they were having fun and it was super relaxed. It was beautiful. When Darryl Jones was a comeback, it broke my heart because I enjoyed being in that space with them so much.
Speaker 1: You know, I've seen the Stones a million times. It's kind of like The Grateful Dead. They'd say they don't play that long Grateful Dead do. I saw plenty of times they played for four hours. I only saw him be consistently good from beginning to end. Once other times play for four hours, one hour unlistenable, one hour great, two hours sort of. So until this last tour at so far was it two summers ago, maybe maybe last summer. I've never seen him be good from beginning ten stonesh you tell them, yeah, I mean I remember in seventy five day Pleader. That was when the petal opening whatever I played basically an hour and a half wasn't until like there was like a half hour they played Tumbling Dice. You know this is one of these Now we're gonna start telling rock and roll stories. There are certain Eggs All on main Street came out. Seventy two tour was the biggest tour ever up until this Taylor Swift tour. The amount of coverage of the seventy two tour is unreal. Eggs All on Mainstream is release, immediately goes to number one, tours over immediately falls off, rocks off, not a huge shit. Tumbling Dice. They're playing for a short period of time, Okay, I'm talking about radio, and all of a sudden I go on this tour. This is three years later. I've seen him in between. It's tell them the seventy two and they lock on Okay, I mean, you can just feel it. But I found remember seeing the funniest two funny things about the Stones. They don't go out with any hard drives. They don't go out with anybody off stage. What you see is what you get. So you get a bar band at the rose Ball. Everybody else too afraid to do that. And before they lock on, it's a little weird.
Speaker 2: Any band, it's kind of like that. Takes a minute to get going, I think, But that's just part of the thing. The audience needs to sink into it too, a little bit, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the game has changed. Okay, you know.
Speaker 2: You would.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you saw a million acts. Forget the acts that are headline acts like the Stones. You would go because you have the record, you love this band. You go to seem at someplace, a whole a few thousand people had an experience and came home and then tell your buddy's got to come the next time.
Speaker 2: Through it.
Speaker 1: Today a lot of arena shows that's like an MTV video Come Alive. Yeah, I agree, it's not really the same thing, which brings me to the question of where is it going.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a good question, man. I don't know, I think there are some underpinnings to music that can't be You can't get rid of these things. And that's has to do with making an emotional connection to the listeners. You gotta touch them, you gotta make them feel something. Hopefully it's not just a random feeling. Hopefully it's helpful. You know, it helps them make sense out of their life somehow. You know, life is crazy. Music helps him make sense of it. That's why it's so important.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's be very specific. Lou Christie recently died. Whatever is in Lightning Strikes and I'm not I say, there is something in that record that is just undeniable.
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 1: Narls Barkley Crazy.
Speaker 2: That's a more modern.
Speaker 1: Record where there's something, you know what. The New York I never do this, but they had, like they put out a weekly playlist of, you know, ten tracks, and this was the Women, all of them except one was terrible, the Sabrina Carpenter track, which and I've got no time for her. I said, I hear this as a hit, but it's nothing like Lightning Strikes whatever. So it's got these changes. Whatever, it does not communicate on that emotional level that you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it might, it might go deep.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, because this is ridiculous. I remember buying Disraeli gears and not many people talk about this track, but it's the opening on the second side is Tales of Brave Ulysses. We're telling my mother had no interest in rock and roll. I gotta play this for you. Yeah, this shit has sound wheel, it goes. There was a thought that lat Winter. It's like there was a feeling in that record.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you something, man, if you can get seventy thousand people, fifty thousand people into us to come to a state him to sit in traffic, pay for parking, pay for babysitters, whatever you know, and to come there, it's speaking to you in a in some kind of way. You don't go. If it's not.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm just gonna fuck with you. Then what do you say about new kids.
Speaker 2: On the block. I think they spoke to somebody.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, so the question is I'm not arguing with people deciding to go pay their money now more than ever, there's a penumber, You shoot selfies, you post on social media. Things are hot. Yeah, okay, we both I mean the biggest thing you live in Los Angeles because you see these people. People who could leave the hotel room now you see them at Ralph's. It's hysterical. Nobody's making a big deal about them where they're where other people go, like Brian Wilson, it's just to be in this Prince. Holy fuck, that is the guy. It's in there somewhere.
Speaker 2: Well, I see it. Yeah, I'll tell you a story. Man. In nineteen ninety, not was got booked on the Club MTV tour. So we were out with a tone low Paula Abdul, Millie Vanilli Us and the Information Society. We're the only ones playing live and we were bombing every night. That required the extreme generosity and kind spirit of downtown Julie Brown to come out with her dancers and rescue our set every night because because the people wanted to hear the records, like the records, and we didn't sound like Well, one night we get to move. It's the Riverfront Festival. It's like fifteen thousand people and it's on a very steep incline, so you could see the whole audience. Milli Vanilli comes out and something was technically wrong Sinclavia. It wasn't connected to the direct box or something, so you could hear drums and they come out and they're dancing for about a minute and a half. There's no music. They storm off stage, go back in the bus, they fix whatever was wrong, to find what's unplugged downtown. Julie Brown goes out to convince him to come back in and to be honest with you, my band and I was standing on the side of the stage just gloating, you know, I think, finally some justice, right. So Millie Vanilli came back out after going through all that, after everyone saw that nothing was real, and they started over and nobody cared. So what does that tell us that What it told me was that we were the idiots we were. I think we were trying to enforce some musical aesthetic on an audience that wasn't there for that. They were there for something else, and they were paying money to see the videos come to life, and we didn't provide that. Milli Vanilli did, And I came to respect the fact that it's not just a meritocracy based on what we value. It's their ability to communicate with the audience. So there's a lot of music that's out now that young people are listening to that. That leaves me cold. But I see the reaction, you know, and I see people going night wait, wait, wait, wait, wait wait. Fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is not like it was in the sixties and seventhes. Not for you and me.
Speaker 2: But it's not It would.
Speaker 1: Have been seventy in the sixties.
Speaker 2: We'd have we are seventy. Well.
Speaker 1: I always say, there's a renaissance. Okay, they painted and sculptured, Retaissance. They've painted and sculpted hundreds of years since. There's never been another renaissance. There've been great painters and great sculptors, but was in the you know, a lot of things had to come together, the radio without all this stuff like that. And also the other thing is today middle class people know the reality of society. You talk to someone, they don't want to be broke. I remember I graduated from college. I was a skee bump for a couple of years. People don't do that anymore. I got to have a career otherwise I'm going to be a loser. It's too expensive to live your life. So you got middle class people. I mean, the famous thing was when Bill Graham managed Jefferson airplane for a while, sod As soon as they made any money, I couldn't get them to work. Want to stay home and smoke dope. That's what it is. I mean, that's not what's going on today. Makes me crazy when people say, oh yeah, you know, you're just too old and it's the same as it ever was. It's not the same, is it ever?
Speaker 2: With? It might be strong? Look at all the people the Taylor Swift drass to the shows. Man, you know you know she's speaking directly.
Speaker 1: Wait, I'm gonna let's get since you're a pro dangerous subject because she wrote a song about me. But the first two albums that she wrote, the songs with Liz Rose, it was like teenage Joni Mitchell, phenomenal. Okay, whatever she's selling now, it is not the same thing. This is a business proposition because the previous tour did not go clean. Okay, if I put all the tickets on sale, it wance, it'll be such mania. And then you there's fomo et cetera. It's it's you know, there are these subtle things. It's like you two, you two went out and did the Joshua Tree done for new music. It's like a nostalgia play. They're all these certain subtle things. People are not going to be singing. We will never ever get back together fifteen years from now like they were singing Beatles songs to this day.
Speaker 2: I don't know that that's true. I don't think I agree with you. I was in a played in Tronto. We've played a two thousand seater the same night that Taylor Swift was doing one of several nights in the stadium, and I, you know, I went out for a walk in all these women with the sparkles and the bracelets and dressed a certain way. It means as much to them as give piece of Chance meant to you.
Speaker 1: And I'll leave it here because I don't agree with you, but I'm gonna whip out a bad analogy. Okay, television today compared to what it was when we were growing up, Yeah, okay, we would have said Banana's a phenomenal show. Yeah my mother the Car maybe I watched it and not great. The sopranos, I mean, holy fuck, better than any movie in the theater.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: There are people, you know, you go somewhere. They can sing all the theme song, they can talk about mash whatever, mash was in the league of What's on TV today crap. I will agree that these people like it by all, just to go one step for this was everything for us. People don't understand, just like I was talking about. You can pick out the Republicans on campus. Okay. I remember being at the New York World's Fair the second year, getting off the mono rail close to midnight and the speaker system is playing Satisfaction.
Speaker 2: That's sixty five.
Speaker 1: There was not a soul alive on the planet who had not heard Satisfaction, not a single person. Doesn't mean they liked it, but they heard it the same way. I can sing every lick of Hello Dolly by Louis Armstrong because I had to sit through it to hear the beat song. Things do change, you know, there is and there are different eras. So the question would become, if we circle back forget the reissues. That's something different. You're making these records on blue note. You call them postcards, good analogy, but you're just basically sending.
Speaker 2: Him to the ether.
Speaker 1: There's not enough promotion, marketing dollars to reach even a fraction of people to make it work. You're just putting it out their audience knows it. You could get lucky, just like Mom Dommie. I don't want to talk about the politics whatever, blah blah blah. Big story in the paper today saying that on social media it was embraced by all these people who made their own videos. So you don't know nothing is going to be as big because we don't live in a monoculture anymore. But you don't know if the records are as good as you say. And I truly believe one could connect it. George Benson. George Benson was just a fucking jazz musician. Wait a minute, No, what I'm trying to say is he did that album with on Broadway. He became a phenomenon. It's not like the label said, oh we got a big plan, this is going to happen.
Speaker 2: Song can take off. Yeah, it's I don't think it's all that complicated. Man. You know, you try to try to make records for soulful people, communicative people. They have more choice today. You can hear everything all the time. You have millions of songs we couldn't before. You know, I was just I just found my copy of I Get Around, which I had Brian sign and for me in the nineties, and I still got the jacket them walking up the steps. It was two sides, man. I played it to death because I paid a dollar for it. I didn't have a second dollar. Yeah, so I got into that. Well, it's different. People have a choice, But you can't deny if someone connects the way Taylor Swift connects. You just can't deny that there's artistry in place, and that there's art is about communication. Great artists communicate, and she's a great communicator. She's not communicating. It's not speaking to me, but it's not supposed to speak to me. It's the same way that satisfaction was not meant to speak to my grandfather. You know that it was a secret language. That's what made it Special's.
Speaker 1: Let's leave Taylor Swift in her career out in terms of identity for a second. But she made records with Max Martin unbelievably talented. Yeah, okay, Mutt Lang didn't make as many records, but he can make the records himself.
Speaker 2: In his day.
Speaker 1: But in today's mainstream record business, there's a lot of writing by committee remixing. What is your philosophy on those processes?
Speaker 2: If it touches people who cares how you came up with it, Man, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: You don't think you can squeeze out the essence.
Speaker 2: I can show you shitty records that were made in every era, any any golden period. You want a sight, probably probably the week that like a rolling Stone was number one, Probably like they're coming to take me away? That was probably right. There's always great stuff, there's always bad stuff. Just try to make stuff that you believe in. It's it's so uncomplicated. It's so simple, man. Just make real stuff, work with people who can who can tap into their heart and and and and that's what an artist does. An artist feels something, puts it into another and the hope that someone who's observing it, a listener or a viewer, will decode it and it'll convert back into language again and an emotion. And that's I just try to make records with people who can communicate.
Speaker 1: Okay, going on the road, running blue note. Are you still available to produce albums?
Speaker 2: I am? What does it take?
Speaker 1: You have a limited amount of time or an unlimited amount of time if it's the right stuff.
Speaker 2: I got a limited amount of time. I couldn't I couldn't do another Stones album if they wanted me to, you know, I mean, I don't have that kind of time. Try it. You know, my favorite album, man, one of my favorite albums I was Blue and Lonesome, which is the last finished record that was three days.
Speaker 1: I like those kind of records, but you know there's something you can capture in three days to boot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you're a musician. You talk about going on the road, going on to make these Stones records.
Speaker 2: How do you have a.
Speaker 1: Family and raise your kids and have them be reasonable?
Speaker 2: How do you balance that out? Well? You do it. You make the effort. When when my youngest kids, Solomon sal was produced Beyonce, really, all my kids are musicians and they're all I'll produce and I'll play. So when I dropped them at USC, which when all three of my kids went to USC and they all graduated, only Henry graduated. Uh, family tradition, right, rights. But dropping them off is maybe one of the worst days you're gonna have and you're your life. It's like you've lost your kid. It's dark for a parent. And I remember tearfully saying to him, I said, look, man, it was always my intention to be around more, and I'm sorry I wasn't and soals just such a sweet guy man, He said, Well, there's any consolation to you, He said, I remember about twenty things from when I was twelve and under and you were there for all of them. Wow, And so yeah, I missed stuff, but I guess I was there. Okay.
Speaker 1: Just a couple more questions. Hey, do you ever go on a traditional vacation?
Speaker 2: Ah? No, okay?
Speaker 1: Is music all consuming? Or do you have other passions? Or do you watch streaming TV? Read books? What your everyday life look like?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty much in it all the time. I got three or four things going on. Last night at midnight I was I do two radio shows. You know, you gotta like you prepared for this. There's research that goes on. It takes it takes time. I did a I do a two hour live radio show every Friday night on a station called wd E T, the NPR station in Detroit. And it's work. You know, it's okay.
Speaker 1: So if someone is not in Detroit, how can they hear it?
Speaker 2: A streams on wd et dot org.
Speaker 1: And is it available after you do it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for a couple of weeks and then I do them every f so what is the show. It's pretty free for him. I play everything from Albert Eiler to you know her Hermits.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite Herman's Hermits song?
Speaker 2: I like, can't you Hear My Heartbeat? It's pretty great. Uh, I just I was just watching him the other night. He was at some so on some kind of cruise. He's a badass.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he knows what he's doing and he's got a sense that you were about himself. Somewhat it works.
Speaker 2: He's a good guy. Yeah, I really I thought he was quite good. He's hitting all the notes and yeah, can't you hear my heartbeat? Listen to people? Pretty great song.
Speaker 1: Phenomenal, Yeah, phenomenal. I was going to say, you know when first it was Missus Brown, but really it's listened to people. Just the sound of that record came out in the winter. Just to go back a step, the best Stones record is other than the ones you made. You're taking those off the board?
Speaker 2: Well late come around more to Between the Buttons. I think Between the button's pretty great. But I you know, you got a rank. I don't know that anyone's made a better record than Beggars Banquet. Or let it bleed. You know, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: People talk about sticky fingers. I don't want to say anything negative about sticky fingers, but let it bleed unbelievable and at dis laid date. I don't want to sound like a hipster, but Eggs on Main Street is really really something.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool. I'll go through different phases with it. And it's cool because I've been able to listen to it with them, you know, and I've played records. Keith once gave me a verbal tour through Exile and Okay Street just.
Speaker 1: To hang in there. Just want to see his face what he say about that.
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 1: That is such an eerie record. I think one of the other problems is, you know, they sent me these really great genial X speakers.
Speaker 2: No one would have speakers like this for your computer.
Speaker 1: I think it's retail, like sixteen hundred dollars or something. So those are really good. And if you're listening in high res, you know whatever, that's great. But I fired up the big rig the other day, which is not far away. They sound different when you play these records. They take up the whole room. The experience is different from listening on headphones or earbuds.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and listening to vinyl too. It's a great In the last few years, we cracked the code on pressing good vinyl.
Speaker 1: Just just just with this deep Okay. If a record is cut digitally, yeah, does it make any sense to press it on vinyl. I'm talking about I don't an audio level forget.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yeah, uh it does. It's not gonna sound the same as it does coming from analog tape.
Speaker 1: Well, it's gonna you know, as you talk to the experts, you say, well, vinyl has a sound.
Speaker 2: Vinyl has a sound. By the way, it's the sound of it. You could call it distortion. I'm gonna yeah, it's just a distortion. Is great, right, Jimmy Hendrix, Right, great, you said MC five great use of distortion. So the distortion is not a bad thing, But as far as it being an accurate reflection of what the thing sounds like, no, But I love vinyl and there are ways to make great vinyl. You know, I grew up producing vinyl records. That's where I started, right, So when I first started a Blue Note it's our seventy fifth anniversary picked one hundred records to remaster and get out on vinyl, which I thought would be wildly appreciated. I was wildly criticized because they didn't sound great to audio files. I'm not really an audio file.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, just break it down a little bit. But forget the audio fields, which is a world done to itself. Did they prefer the original pressings?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just know we got a lot of criticism over it. And then what happened was we had been licensing the masters out to a company called Music Matters who were doing audio file vinyl, and so I started listening to those and I'm like, Wow, in the world do they make this happen? And I finally met the guy, a guy named Joe Hurley masters with Kevin Gray, and I was just in awe of him. I really couldn't figure out what he was doing. But I said, instead of licensing from why don't you come to work with us and and we'll do audio file ersion. So we started doing that. It's called the Tone Poet series. It's been immensely popular, and Joe knows how to press vinyl, and the audio file is happy. They're thrilled. Yeah, I haven't seen a.
Speaker 1: Bad word so do you have any idea with the secret sauces?
Speaker 2: It's no one thing. But I can tell you one thing he taught me I never considered I don't think anyone considered this before. He believes that individual presses have a sound, so it could be by the same manufacturer. And if you apply it to like musical instruments, every fender strat sounds different. It's an individual piece of wood. Man, two pieces of wood, They're all going to have a different characteristic, even if you put the same pickups. And by the way, if human beings winding the pickups, each pickup's going to sound a little different too. So why wouldn't a press. And he's found a press that he thinks is the most conducive in the world too. Is that something you can reveal RTI in Oh huh. And they do an incredible job of plating two plating You can change everything that Have you ever been to a pressing plan? You see the plating process. It's alchemy, man, it's mind blowing. You take this lacquer that's that you've carved on a lathe, you spray it perfectly with the silver, you dip it overnight in a bath of liquid nickel. That's got to be a two hundred eight degrees, not two hundred and nine, that two hundred and seven, and the nickel gravitates to the to the silver plated lacquer and forms a perfect mirror image, and that becomes you know, your mother of the stamper. It's alchemy, it's incredible and and there's so many variables in that. So every step of the way, you got to have someone who's willing to make sure that the nickel bath is two hundred and eight degrees exactly and it stays there. You have to have a plant that's willing to throw out a batch of records if they don't sound right and just eat the cost. That's that's one of the main differences between a great plant who's going to be a hack and just make you pay for any garbage, or who's going to have quality control. RTI is one of the best plants on the face of the earth.
Speaker 1: So on these records, catalog records, Yeah, how much vinyl do you press?
Speaker 2: We can do twenty thousand of them.
Speaker 1: And you know there's much more capacity than there used to be. Is your relationship and volumes such that you can get all the stuff pressed in time.
Speaker 2: The delay times are coming down, and you build relationships with plants where that they'll help you. Artier has been real good to us. A few other plants have been good to us. But we do all the all the all the all the tone poet stuff. It's mastered by Kevin Gray at his place and manufactured at Artier.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you have a great stereo at.
Speaker 2: Home, not like Joe Harley, who's got you know, like the Wilsons whatever table? Yeah, but okay, you don't have a boom box either. I go to your house. Yeah, you're going to play me two records to say, the sound on these is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, other than Blue Note, what would you play?
Speaker 2: You remember everyone used to play The Night Fly by Donald Fagan that that's still a pretty great sound record. Uh. Well, I don't really show off the things. But for my own reference, uh, I play Born and Raised, the John Mayer record. I play something I know you know I'll play. I'm proud of that record. Born and Raised. John Mayer is a bad motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Okay, just to stay on John Mayer. You made one record with him, I made three records. Okay, what was was that the first born and.
Speaker 2: Raised, Born and raised the first one. Then we did Paradise Valley and we did Sad Rock during COVID.
Speaker 1: So who have you not produced that you have a hankrey for it? Mean you've been to the mountaintop with the Stones. But if I said, forget about Blue note your schedule, we're dreaming here, you know, who would you want?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 1: I think my point is clear, who would you want to work with?
Speaker 2: Well, I've pretty much been to my bucket list of living people. You know. I wish Muddy Waters to come back. I wish John Lennon would come back, but they're not coming back. I like people who are really expressive. I played live with Miley Cyrus. I thought she was awesome. I'd make a record with her in a minute. Yeah, that's something I think it's great.
Speaker 1: Let's just assume you make a record with Miley Cris. She brings her talent. Is your goal to get that talent? Or do you say I have a vision where I can take my Lee Cris.
Speaker 2: I don't do that to anybody. I wouldn't do that to a new artist that no one's ever heard of. That's not my style of producing. My style producing very specific. I try to sit with an artist and figure out what they're hearing in their head, and I try to help them get there.
Speaker 1: Just how would you uncover what they're hearing in their head?
Speaker 2: You talk, you play records, What do you think of this sound like? You like the way this record sounds? You just spend time and talk about things. I worked with Waylon Jennings, and I know what his records sound like. But what do you want to do? He said he wanted he liked Mercy Bob Dylan record Daniel Daniel, and it's it's Bob with some great songs, singing beautifully and uh and the atmospheric things that Daniel specializes in. All right, I get that, all right? So we make of Waylon Jennings record with with atmosphere and and we did that. It's a pretty cool record, and he was thrilled with it. And if I have to be the one to provide the vibe and the vision, I don't do the record. I'm not interested that. I like working with artists who have vision and an idea, and I like helping them realize that there's no right or wrong way to make a record. I don't judge any producers. Man, You know some people are a tour producers. You know. They they can play all the instruments, they lay down a guide vocals, and then you come in. They have you imitate that vocal and they have hits doing that. That's a that's a perfectly legitimate means of doing business. If that, If you can do that, it's just not it's not my strong suit. My strong suit is working with with great artists and helping them. They'll go k interesting they want.
Speaker 1: You know, back when the business was more comprehensible, there were legendary producers, and then there were engineers. Then a lot of the engineers became producers. Well, there are a lot of things the old traditional producers might do that an engineer doesn't.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: First it might be well we need a bridge here or something like that. To what degree might you rear change or change the song in what degree? Why you actually participate, say well, let me play this for you, not writing the whole song, but let me play you this part, or why don't we change this line instead of this?
Speaker 2: How about this? Will you do that? Sure? Yeah, I won't write it for them without invitation. I think that's a bit presumptuous, and it's become suspect. It looks like a publishing grab. And I told the Stones when we first started, I said, I'm going to suggest things that have to do with songwriting. And I don't want you to think that I'm it's a money grab. It's because I think it'll make a better record. So consider me an editor, not a co writer, even if I do things that might be considered co writing. And yeah, I think it was a co writer on Love Shack, really, you know, but I said the same thing to be fifty two said. They gave me like this really long, twelve minute thing. They said, see if you can it's nothing the hook, There was no chorus, but all the parts were in there, and I went through and cut it up and made it a three and a half minute song. And that was just part of producing. I didn't think it. You know, I'd have a better car today. Maybe.
Speaker 1: Okay, you have interests in a lot of records that have sold records, so they're in the blacks something. Usually producers, they're paid from record one. What are you finding that you're accounted to accurately?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems about right. You know, I've worked. I've been part of the Universal Music Group for fifteen years. I've never ever encountered a situation where someone was deliberately trying to steal an artists money. It's mythology I've never once had. I've only had a positive experience of Blue Note. Lucian Grange has never said to me, don you need to do this or do that. He's always supported stuff. You're doing a great job with Blue Note. You keep doing it and call me if you need help. You know that all the stuff that I used to fear about record companies. I used to hate record company. I thought, but the record company was the enemy until I started working there, and then I thought, wait a minute, the enemy. This is mostly kids in their twenties who love music and are willing to stay here till eleven o'clock at night. Maybe they haven't even met the artists, but they love the music so much they're willing to, you know, to fall on the sword to get this music heard. That's what a record company actually is. It's just the young people who are working there. That's the majority of what you encounter. So I've really had to change my thinking about it. Up until that point, I thought they're the people who come to the session give you terrible notes that ruin the record, and if it doesn't ruin the record and you have a hit, they steal your money. That's that was what I thought a record company was, and I really had to re examine that.
Speaker 1: Would you sell your rights?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think so. Yeah. I don't have any sentimental attachment to it.
Speaker 1: I mean at this point, I must believe you've gotten offers. Yeah, I've had offers, So what would it take?
Speaker 2: Just the right number? Uh? Yeah, I mean I'm not opposed to it at all. A feel I feel a little bit weird. As a producer, your deals are sometimes with the artists directly, So like if I were to do a deal like that for what the Rolling Stones catalog, then they're going to have some people who are going to come in and audit all the time and not be as genial as I am about it. And I don't know that I love this guy, So I'm grateful to them or what they did. I'm not sure I would want to. Well, that's what happened with Hall and Oates.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: I get that and I understand how he felt. So that's really been my hesitation. You know, I'm going to bring some people going to come in and audit Bonnie. I never audited Bonnie right ever? Man, never is your deal with her? Yeah? Yeah? Okay.
Speaker 1: Final question, Gregory Porter?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: First time I heard him, saw it, you know, face to face. I didn't know anything about him other than his name.
Speaker 2: Mind blowing? Yeah. Is there any way I thought you had to think of capital right time? Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: I thought this guy was on the verge of superstardom. Is there any way or what is holding back?
Speaker 2: Or where are the stars? Not a line? Why is this guy not a household name in the United States? Because he had huge success in He sold a million records. The first album that came out in Blue Note sold a million.
Speaker 1: Records, So how many domestic how many for him.
Speaker 2: Forty thousand domestic rest forms? So he concentrated on where that audience was, and he spends most of his time. He lives in Bakersfield. I know he spends most of his time overseas. And if he really decided to focus a grass roots campaign over a long period of time on this country, I think you would be better now. But he's got you know, like four or five Grammys, and he can sell out the well turned theater. I just went to see mc Carnegie Hall this year. Sold that out. He does a Valentine's Day show there every year. I think he's pretty successful.
Speaker 1: Okay, then I'll add one more question once again, records. You haven't worked with a couple of records that these should have been giant hits and they fell through the cracks.
Speaker 2: Some of I love Buddy Miller's records. Yeah, Buddy should have more recognition. Buddy and Julie his wife, great lyricists. Man. You know, they're great songwriters and they're both incredibly soulful singers and musicians. Play a lot with Buddy. I've done a lot of kicks them. I play with them every year at the Americana Awards. I've done it, Yeah, fifteen sixteen years, I've gone and been in the house band. Mainly is I want to play with Buddy, and that's that's one guy deserving a wider recognition.
Speaker 1: Okay, keep adding more questions your every day life. Are people looking to get we put the right connotation here, not so much to get something from you, but are they looking for something, whether it be free work or whatever. Yeah, are you having to fend that often do you do that yourself? You don't have somebody else, you know.
Speaker 2: I remember, like it was yesterday, being in the position of needing someone to help me, right, I remember taking that before, Yeah, I remember taking that was and I was thing with the two songs to a public image show and Corner and John Lyden with it. Here's what we're doing. I think you'll dig it. It breaks my heart thinking of the desperation it takes to do that, to subject a guide to that, you know. So my heart breaks for people who've chosen a career like this. And I don't know why I've been so lucky, you know. And I know that in La, at any given moment in La, there's someone within one square mile of you who's great, who hasn't gotten the breaks for whatever reason. So I try to be as attentive as I can. I really sympathize with people in the position I have, and to present this thing. It's not a comfortable thing to do. And I hate saying no. That's that's the only I love the job. Man. Everybody has been great to me. I really enjoy doing it. I hate saying no to people. I've had to drop artists. A couple of times I haven't been able to do it with a crying and it's just.
Speaker 1: You drop them for purely economical reasons.
Speaker 2: Uh, well it it's not purely. It manifests itself in economically. I mean.
Speaker 1: What people also don't realize about this business is people don't want to work with assholes. So a lot of people don't know because they don't actually interact with these people. Hey, I don't care how talent you are, I just.
Speaker 2: Don't want to work with you. Whether it's stubborn or whatever. They hard to work with. I'm also luly that too, because I've been warned off of so many people about producing them. It's going to be a nightmare for you. And it was never a nightmare.
Speaker 1: I just had to have people said, oh, you know, I just mentioned one Ricky Lee Jones. Everybody said, oh yeah to her, she was the greatest. It was like, you know, we went to school together. So you try to tell yourself, but usually most of these people, it's not a one on one thing. Anyway, I was in the studio, I was the assistant engineer or something like that.
Speaker 2: It's if you treat people with respect, they usually return the favor. You know, you know, it's just simple basic stuff. Treat musicians the way you want to be treated in the like. One of the things is I was explaining to there was this kid who came with Ron Carter to the studio and I let him produce the overdub, sit there and talk to him on the talkback, just to get some experience doing it and understand what was involved. And I kept saying, keep your finger on the talkback button. Man, don't make the guy think he's here alone, that you're not listening to. Just be up. Just keep your finger on the button all the time and let him know what's going on all the time. That's just a common courtesy because I've been on the other side of it. I've been produced, I've been a session musician. You play something you think is great, and then there's silence for twenty seconds and you're just sitting there and limbo, like what And then they come back and say, let's try another one. Well those are all with that one. Give me some direction here. That felt pretty good to me. You sure you were paying attention, and you can you can lose people really easily. Uh, but yet you got to be empathetic and pay attention, and if you do that, they'll reward you.
Speaker 1: Well, you've certainly been empathetic and kept everybody's attention this afternoon. Don I want to thank you for taking this time with my audience.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure, man, It's really good to talk to you. I think you're a great interviewer. We've we've talked about this before. I've actually, you know, I do a lot of interview viewing of other people, and I've studied your technique. You're you're, you're, you're really good.
Speaker 1: Well, two things I remember vividly doing that gig grammy time sixteen months ago, and you came up to me and he goes, I see what you're doing. That meant so much, right, I told my psychiatrist said, I gotta tell you this story now. Oh absolutely. I mean, first and foremost, being a writer is I don't want to say it's a lonely jump. First of all, I don't want don't put me in the camp of people who are normally right. I'm hearing from people all day long, but it's not the same as interacting, and most people are giving the audience what they want.
Speaker 2: There's way if you.
Speaker 1: Go out, you find forget the point. You don't always do it great yourself. I mean, if I do something that's eleven, I know. Can I do something that's eleven every day? No fucking way. But you know when you reach it. So when someone you know, this is back point, I mean talking more. I remember I was in a really bad spot thirty years ago. That's an understatement, really bad spot. First, since you mentioned the psychiatrist says, well, what's a fallback position? They go, there is no fallback position. This is it is.
Speaker 2: Nothing. Okay.
Speaker 1: The other thing is, well, what are you doing you know to sell this that I said. Listen, Whenever I tried to advance my career never works because the people.
Speaker 2: Don't get it.
Speaker 1: It's like someone says, come speak at my conference for you know, Yeah, you pay me, I'll go. Is it'll be good for you, good for me? If I stay home and write something phenomenal, that will be good for me and all the benefits have come from that. So you're a smart guy, very smart and I'm not saying that to stroke you. So you got it because it's like I don't come with a list of questions. It's like, where are you going? To go and where are you gonna go?
Speaker 2: By? Save Doug?
Speaker 1: And I know shit, I want to cover. I got a circle in my brain. I'm coming back because you know, some of these people are friends of mine.
Speaker 2: But two things.
Speaker 1: We've had conversation only for one reason. I was talking to Peter Wolf. Peter Wolf, fascinating character, because gin me, your guys, what the fuck was going on with you that they done away wanted you?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Some people, you know, you just got to take one look at him. That's not Peter Wolf. Not that he's an unattractive guy, okay, and your talk. I couldn't figure it out for a really long time. Is he's actually empathetic and interested, which almost I was at a party last night. I got somebody's life story. You know how much they asked me about me? Zero didn't even occur to them. Okay, not that I have to tell my story, but okay, I got your story. It's not like I'm dying to talk to you again. So those moments are few and far between when somebody gets it, and that's what you live for. There aren't enough of those moments. I think maybe in conventional work, you get paid, you get a big payday. That's good, but in creative work, you're waiting.
Speaker 2: For that moment.
Speaker 1: The other thing that I loved that you said was talked about getting the job and the copy repair. Everybody who's made it big time, they were all on the verge. You're giving up at some point. It's just really desperate. So in any event, circled back to the Peter Wolf thing. At the end, he's opening up you.
Speaker 2: He wrote a.
Speaker 1: Book and got a lot of press. It's a fucking book business, so we antiquate it, and they didn't press enough copies, so for like six weeks there are no books in the story. He's doing press and I'm talking to him about it. I didn't think twice I was gonna cut it off. All the emails and oh when you were talking to him about that. So when we started off, I mean, even like on these you know, i'd also think these philosophical points, like you're talking about the altruism, et cetera. I mean, there's right and left, red and blue. But if you're not invested. Most people are invested to the point where they can't stand back and see what it's really going on here, And you know, to get into that those are the topics that are interesting, whereas most people are how much money you make in where we going to dinner? And that's a great thing about music because it transcends that. What I always say is, you know, you could put a five year old in front of the TV watch a program. Did you like it to dinner?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: It wasn't believable, the acting was bad. You put somebody listen to record about it? As most they can say is had a good beat and I could dance to it. I love it right, But it has that power.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's the greatest, man, It's absolutely essential.
Speaker 1: Do you have a go to track like when you're in a bad mood or something?
Speaker 2: I do. It's actually a Blue Note album. I've been going to it since it came out in sixty six. I think I bought it like sixty eight sixty nine Speak No Evil by Way in Shorter, which I think is my favorite record in the catalog side too. When I was nineteen, man, I was, I was, I dropped out of school, movedan I wanted to be in a band like the Stooges or the MC five. Only gig I could get was playing at a bowling alley in Ipsilanti, Michigan, with the band that was doing Carpenter's covers and things. I just felt like all my plans had gotten derailed. I get pretty lost. When I was feeling lost, I go back and I put on this album side to Speak No Evil, and I could relate to the players as individuals. Elvin Jones playing drums, Detroit guy, right, so I appreciated his energy. He's just a little too exuberant, and I thought, yeah, all right, I get that. Herbie Hancock, even in his twenties, probably knew more about harmony than any anybody around, you know. And I listen to what he's playing and think, all right, be smart. I'm a smart guy. I can relate to Herbie. But it was really Wayne. I'd hear a saxophone and didn't sound like saxophone. Didn't. I didn't hear reads or keys or technique or anything. I heard conversation. He was like he was speaking to me. And I imagine walking down Main Street in ann Arbor with Wayne Short and he's saying, like watch out for that guy, Like let's cross the street here and just keep walking. Don't look this cat and eye and like he was giving me directions. I had a duck and dive in life, and somehow all of that combined with this beautiful soul touch in music. By the time I get to the end of the side, I remembered who I was, who who I set out to be, and I knew how to get back on track, at least till the next time I got derailed right, and that was that was powerful, you know, And by the way, it still works. Man.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, if I.
Speaker 2: Have a rough day, I'll put on that record. By the time I get from Hollywood to Santa Monica, I'm good. And thankfully, you know, we got to sign Wayne. We re signed him the Blue Note first year I was there and I made a couple of records, but him, I got to know him, beautiful guy. I got to tell him that.
Speaker 1: And really, well, it sounds like you got to tell the number of your heroes, got to tell Brian Wilson. Did you ever tell the Stones you were a fan? Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they knew. I think fans make the best producers. I would find that reassuring.
Speaker 1: Are you trying to create a bond that that sort of separates you?
Speaker 2: I think that if you try to make the record that you would buy. That's that's that's that's good producing. You just got to assume that other people share your taste.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you're a very soulful guy who is warm. Is it important to make the musicians of the room feel that they're connecting with you.
Speaker 2: It's important to make them feel comfortable. They don't. I don't care whether they feel that they're connected. They're not making a record for me, they but I want them to feel is safe enough that if they take a chance on something and it fails and they fall off the cliff musically, that it's okay, get no, mad man, We'll do another take, you know, like but to feel comfortable to take the chance, so you don't just get you know, the biggest enemy making a record is good making a good record. There's no point in making a good record. Make it fucking great or don't make it. You know. Sometimes people have to always, man, you got to go the extra mile, put that little bit of extra something in there. And sometimes it takes a while to draw that out. And people have to be comfortable and feel that they're not going to be judged or look foolish. Shift if they try something and it doesn't work, So that's what I care about.
Speaker 1: Well, do you have a technique to push them to get into grate?
Speaker 2: You know, it's really weird. I've been told that this happens, but it's nothing I do deliberately. I don't know what I do, but something puts people at ease. I'm aware of the phenomena, but I don't know. I don't know why it happens. There's nothing deliberate.
Speaker 1: It's like Mick.
Speaker 2: I remember telling him he's got something in his voice. He's audiogenic. I don't know what that word means. Well, you know what photogenic is Claudia Schiffer on an ad and she jumps out, catches your eye because she just got this quality. And that's why she's a popular model, because it draws your attention to the genes they're trying to sell. That's photogenic. Audiogenic means your voice leaps out of the speakers. And some people just have this thing. It's a gift. It's not something you can't eq it in. It's got something to do with the EQ curve of the voice, but it's got to do also with some invisible kind of magical charisma. Some people just have it. Mick Jagger. Listen, you mentioned Tumblin Dice earlier in the discussion. Listen how low his vocal is. No one in the right minds would ever put out a record with the vocal mix that low. But it doesn't matter because he leaps out of the speakers. Garth Brooks leaps out of the speakers. I was a stun man when I work with him. He left out of the speakers so far as like he was standing behind me man. And that's why I knew. I was understood why he was the most successful artists in the world at that time, because he had this incredible gift of audio charisma. Aretha Franklin and Bonnie's Got It.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are two good examples. But you're working with Mick is if they are one hundred percent of the timer. You have to get him in the zone.
Speaker 2: He warms up into the character and you can see the physical transformation and it's just it's it's so awesome, especially if you're a fan. Right, so comes in, he's got a sweater and a dress shirt, you know, and he stands there and he's singing It's Mick Jagger, but he's he's not the guy and you gotta go four or five takes in and then sweater comes off, the dress shirt comes off. Now he's in a T shirt and the lips start, they transform. He becomes the character. And then he'll give you two or three passes of it where he's the thing, and then he knows he's done it. He knows when he's there and when he's not. Hey, he's just phenomenal, man, he's just so's you know, he's the greatest front man ever, right, greatest front man of the banned.
Speaker 1: Well, they just to stay on the stones for a minute, especially at glaston very recently with all the controversies with villains and the kneecap. The stones were dangerous back in their era. And then of course in the sixty nine to seventy two era, I mean there were no cell phone cameras. They were in the south of France. There's been some footage town. It was almost as fucked up as they said it was okay, whereas now it's fifty years later. I mean, Joe Walls had a great line about this because I'm too old to die young, and it's like, you know, it's not their fault at all, and it's got nothing to eat.
Speaker 2: Just weird.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's really weird if something. This is why I got to give Keith Richards much credit. He's not trying to look young. It's like when these guys get plastic surgery and they look forty years younger than the audience it's coming to see them. But as they say, it's not the Stones, I guess it's the same thing in the show. There's always a moment where it locks on and you go, that is it.
Speaker 2: They're fucking great man. I've seen him. I've seen him as a I started the first time I went to see him as in sixty four, they played for two hundred people at Olympia Stadium, which is an arena in Detroit, two hundred people in an eighteen thousand seat places. Before they were on that Cellivant show, I saw him three or four times with Brian Jones, so I'm gonna gimme shelter tour. I've seen him, you know, throughout, and then once I started working with him, I saw him another fifty times, and I'm always blown away. I've never seen a shitty Stone show.
Speaker 1: Okay, did you go to the show with Fonda? Okay, they were great but it's the stones in a room with under two thousand people. Song ends all the rabble rousing. You know, you think it's the fucking stones. They don't do a lot of pattern between the numbers anyway. It was just it was disrespectful. But I just couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: It was a weird It was an industry audience, I think you could call it, and that's a that's a tough audience to play for. I thought they were great. I saw them at the Echoplex too, and I didn't see that show. That was just the most surreal thing. To be in a bar with the rolling stones.
Speaker 1: Well, the great thing about them is they are a bar band.
Speaker 2: Well they can be the roots.
Speaker 1: We go into the production era of let it bleed whatever, But at the core, it's guys who listened to a lot of blues records and want it to be and that's out is supposed to someone who, you know, other than satanic majesties, maybe supposed to someone who blew with the wind. It's pure to what it is and very few things are that long.
Speaker 2: That's why I love the Blue and Lonesome record, because I think that was utterly not only was it made utterly without self consciousness or thinking they've adjust themselves. And because it was all in one room and the drum sound was coming primarily from mixed vocal mic, there was no overdubbing, no punching, no fixing, nothing. That's just listen out what a great band they are.
Speaker 1: The problem is, you'll remember in the seventies, you know, bands put out live albums to get out of their contracts, and they change the contracts, doesn't count as an album.
Speaker 2: Et cetera. Live music was so weird.
Speaker 1: I remember it was in a bar in Aspen, Colorado in nineteen seventy They taped the concert off the radio and they had it.
Speaker 2: You could listen to it.
Speaker 1: Then there was a King Biscuit flower arm. This ship was so rare. If the Stones had got nothing to do with the record. But if the Stones are put low down on whatever the hell the name of the track is that if they put it out in nineteen seventy three, it would have been like everybody would have known it.
Speaker 2: Times changed, yeah, times changed. But what I love is that they you know, Keith Richard's man, he's just he's such a great soulful musician. You know, he's one hundred percent for real. And I've gone to see them live and I've seen him like walk past on the runway there. He's like transfixed. Man, he's in a trance, and I've had eye contact with him, and but he's he's somewhere else. He's so deep into what he's playing. And he said, night after night after night, he goes there every night. He doesn't he changes his position the guitar. So if it's a g chord, you'll play it down here one night, you'll play it up here another night. And that leads to a whole other thing. He's he's improvising in a very narrow framework. There's not a whole lot of room for it. But nothing's ever on autopilot with him. He's for real and he's so sold.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I don't know whether you went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and then it was the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame whatever they called it, with everybody's guitars and you saw his less Paul with four strings. That's when it all came out. And then I remember being on stage talking to his guitar deck. I said, you know what the deal was, We let it do we go on the road, we have to have it. It's like the came But you know, it's the same thing with Eddie van Halen's Frankenstein guitar, because if it was my guitar, I wouldn't take it out of my bedroom. I'd be afraid that it fall apart. But we all grew.
Speaker 2: Up in there. The factor.
Speaker 1: You know you only gonna play on four strings.
Speaker 2: Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
Speaker 1: What do you think of the Mick Taylor era?
Speaker 2: That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: I can talk because I didn't work with him. Although Ronnie Wood, you know, bass player with Jeff Beck, the ship that he did with Rod Stewart unbelievable. Okay, the only problem I have with Ronnie Wood is his sound is somewhat similar to Keith's, whereas Mick Taylor was came from a completely different place.
Speaker 2: Well, Ronnie is one of these guys man. You could put anything in his hands. One time I ordered there's like an oil can dulcimer. There's like someone put a neck, a dulcimer neck on an oil can and strung it up and they brought it to the studio for me. Right, I sound like a jerk. Playing It just gonna take some time. And to Ronnie, he just made something spectacular happen almost instantly on this thing, and just found a way to be expressive. He's a super talented guy. And because he's got to share responsibilities with Keith, he's accepted somewhat of a shadow role in the Rolling Stones. But he's world class. I just remember another thing. There was this.
Speaker 1: Now there are tons of stadium shows. There weren't shows for a couple of decades. People don't know in the seventies all these stadium shows. I've already living in la and it was Fleetwood Mac with Stevie and Lindsay Loggins in the scene in the headline were the faces, okay. And that was just when rumors were seventy five, just when rumors were coming out that he was going to be the Stones guitarist. Well now it's fifty years later, he's been the Stones guitarist. You know, Brian Jone isn't even making a decade. He's like the new guy. It's a strange thing.
Speaker 2: Strangely, but when you live the phenomenon you're talking about, it's tougher for him. On songs that Mick Taylor originally played. He's better on the songs where he initiated the part, like Beast of Burden. Those are the guitar weaving that goes on. It's a different relationship Keith and Ronnie. You have a different relationship than Keith and Brian Head. I'm talking about musically, and they do this guitar weaving thing for which you do have to be like minded. You can't be one hundred and eighty right.
Speaker 1: It's like when Mick Taylor or whatever it was supposed to be the fifty at the anniversary too, I think it was the fifty first, and he would sit in for a couple of songs. Yeah, whatever he was playing was nothing like what they were playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well and it was great. You know, yeah, they've been at it for a while. Well.
Speaker 1: The only other thing we know is for years we've been hearing it. I mean, you and me go under different circumstances here.
Speaker 2: You know, you gotta go. It could be the last time.
Speaker 1: Now we're getting to the point where, fuck, everybody's dying. You don't know, it could be the last time.
Speaker 2: I remember that we cut one song right over here in Hollywood. It's now called East West we're in studio too, and it was meant to be the last song on for Just a Babylon Well, how can I stop? It was one of Keith's songs and we were all set up in a circle and there were other people playing. Jim Keltner was there with Charlie and Wayne Shorter is playing on it. Blondie Chaplin was playing the grand piano. Keith was singing live, the backgrounds were live. I was playing a Wurlitzer piano and at the end of the song, Charlie, who had a car waiting in the alley, It's like five in the morning. He had a flight back to London that day. Charlie hits this flourish on the symbols. When the song was done, then it goes into the whole other thing. It's like Wayne's playing soprano sacks. It sounds like it's Coltrane, sounds like Love Supreme, kind of right, this whole other thing. And as we were doing it, I started crying because I thought, Oh my god, this is this is the last song the Stones are ever gonna cut. This is their coda. What a spectacular way to take it out. It's the last song. I'm Bridges to Babylon. Check it out and check out the end. Ding and Charlie. We finished, Charlie got in the car drove off. I thought, wow, I was there for the last session of the Stones.
Speaker 1: Well, since you're talking the Bridges to Babylon, my favorite song on that track is not unknown, not that it was a huge hit, sane of.
Speaker 2: Me, Oh, you never mixed saying to me, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just got to feel that it's just great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a cool track. Yeah, yeah, they're good moments.
Speaker 1: There are great.
Speaker 2: Moments on all all those records. I think that it's a it's a tough thing to live up to. Man. You know, when when when people have so much of their own personal memories intertwined with certain music, it takes twenty It's only now are people starting to tell me how good Voodoo Lounge is. It takes it takes decades to attach your own sensory triggers to these songs and then it becomes something special. But to have to compete with with, you know, like memories of you make it out in the car in high school.
Speaker 1: Man, you know how the interesting thing not at this level, but Todd Rungren, who's really incredibly successful. He goes on the road, no matter how much he till people, I'm gonna do my electronic stuff.
Speaker 2: They come.
Speaker 1: They want to hear the hits. They want to hear more than Hello, it's me, and they can't believe it. I give them credit for doing it, but it's got to be tough.
Speaker 2: You just do it because that's what you do. Man. Musicians play, you just want to play. I think it's it's really most of the.
Speaker 1: People from our era, not the ones on the oldies tours, who can sell out areenas whatever they've sailed far beyond that, because a it is about the money, because they have lifestyles that they you know, they're not keeping every one of these dollars. And then the other thing is they need the adulation, and many will not take that risk.
Speaker 2: Well, the people I know, Bob Dylan stones, that's not what they don't need the bread, They don't really need the adulation. It's what you do, man, Dylan.
Speaker 1: Dylan wrote the fucking book. I mean you look at the Beatles. They didn't do any endorsements whatever, which influencer, but they didn't really know what they were doing. Bob Dylan was conscious of all this stuff that he was doing. And then you know, you remember Self Portrait came out first of his records to get negative reviews. That came out in June, comes out with New Morning in October, and it's phenomenal. Okay, and there's some recor. I mean, now you just never know. Listen. He gets number one credit in my book because he's doing it his way on stage. Yeah, okay, I have seen it. I will be honest with you. Not always eager to see it. Somebody says friend of mine's the agent, but whatever, but he's making it interesting for himself. Otherwise, how can you do it?
Speaker 2: You can't. He has an adventure every night if you listen closely, because I follow him on YouTube and Minched, I watch all the shows. Man, he's he digs in real, he doesn't throw away syllables. He's a great singer, and he's really he's not walking through it. He's really trying to interpret the songs and do it fresh every night. Bob Wear does the same thing.
Speaker 1: But Bob weare that's the roots. Yeah yeah, But with Dylan, as I say, I agree with everything you said here.
Speaker 2: Him with Barbi straisand I haven't heard yet it's fucking great, and he sounds awesome, and he cuts closer to the emotional core of that song than just about anybody, and he does it without historyonics, without showing off. He does it through understatement. It's a brilliant reading of that song. And he sounds wonderful too.
Speaker 1: I mean, I could talk about so many Dylan things, but you talk about the go to tracks. This is not number one, but it's in the top five. I and I from Infidels. You know, I literally can picture of place when the song wasn't even out yet. Is it just resonates. It's just so incredible.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The other thing about DM, I remember he was he was hyping some album he works too, and he was in he said, you know, they talked about the earlier records, goes can't do that anymore. And then you get old enough you realize it's not that you lose something.
Speaker 2: You have to get to the next thing. Yeah, exactly. Yeah. I think he's been as consistently great over a sixty seventy sixty year period as anybody.
Speaker 1: So if you want to compare him with somebody, absolutely well, he's the only person who's making different records as time goes by everybody else if they're making them. I mean, it's like the movie. I had a problem with the movie because A it was not always accurate and B it's hot giography. The guy is fucking from Hibbing, Minnesota comes to New York. People have no idea how hard it is to make it, no idea sticking to his vision and any of the other thing, you know, no matter what budgets were. Then he got these records fast, but he knew what he was doing and nobody else did.
Speaker 2: Yeah. True. Well, you know, one time I asked him how come you can write Gates of Eden and I can't, which, actually it's a line in the movie, right everyone wants but I was unaware. This is probably nineteen ninety or something like that, and he said, well, look, man, if it makes you feel any better, I didn't actually write it, he said, I remember moving the pencil of old Age, but it came from without. And at the time I thought I was very sweet of him. He's just trying to make me feel better about this. Then I started hearing the same You're in the same thing, Keith Richards. He's riches, by the way, in a session he didn't say, uh, hold a hold, I got an idea. He says, hold a whole incoming income or or Willie or Chris and any writer's work this on Brian Wilson, I'll tell you the same thing. I don't know where it came from him through me and Okay.
Speaker 1: I don't want to compare myself to those people. But when done right, you are channeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the worst thing is when you realize you're channeling.
Speaker 2: And then it goes left.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, it's like you're just so there's always an inspiration and motivation, but it comes out. I mean, I have my tricks. One I won't mention, the other one to take a shower. It's like you have no idea what will come to try to get you in the zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's hard, man. You don't you don't control it. You know. It's like surfing. You can you can learn how to stay up on the board, but you don't control the fucking ocean. Man. You know, it's like the ocean. You're gonna get the waves you get and you can't make him bigger. You can't change him. Okay.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite stories, al Cooper is not doing great now, good friend of mine. He's getting inducted.
Speaker 2: To the Rock Walk.
Speaker 1: You know whatever the guitar said, I'm talking to him backstage. I guess he was telling the story of Sweet Home Alabama, how the first album Leonard Skinnard had just come out and he got a call from Ronnie van Zen, like very shortly thereafter, I got a new song got to come up. And that was on a Friday. They came in and they cut it on Monday. Sweet Home Alabama did not come out for a year.
Speaker 4: Okay, I said, al did you know he goes it was Sweet Home Alabama.
Speaker 1: You know it's like that thing. Yeah, you know when you know when people I mean yeah, things can be hits not hits. It's like we connected in your movie. You made a big bit about till I Die off surfs Up, which I never heard anybody talk about whatever's in that record, and whenever read, you know, they don't have to play it on the radio every twenty minutes, et cetera. And when you do something like that, you absolutely know. The only thing I'm interested in is people. I mean, I know all these people, but I haven't gotten this discussion. The Eagles, who work very slowly put put things together. But some of the lines of you know, wasted time. You know, you can go on with your life and I can go on with mine, and maybe someday we will find it wasn't just wasted time. If you work that slowly, how you can mean it? Because all you're talking about the flash of brilliance. One day I got you know, Gates even came out complete and I just don't know. I mean, he's steely. Dan's another one works slow. How do they maintain because people are hacks, they've never been there, so they don't get it.
Speaker 2: Well, how about I'll go step further. How about Bob still rewrites his lyrics. We were with Weird we do when I paint my masterpiece right, and Bob Dylan must have heard it, and he said, tell Bob we are he's singing the wrong lyrics. What do you mean? He said, no, I changed him and he and he and he typed him out for me to give to the Weird to sing And okay, this is, you know, on an amateur level, but starting I think it was a seventy four.
Speaker 1: He put out a big lyric book. Okay, yeah, the lyrics are not the same as they are on the record. If you on the website now, they're not necessarily the same. I don't know if you continue sin, but they're not the same as they are on the record.
Speaker 2: He's updating constantly, so yes, it might have come from a flash in the moment, but he's still refining it. Well.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because Joni Mitchell has no time for him, and she's pretty crazy, but when she was at her peak, as good as any of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what Joni's issues, but he's he's a superhero as far as i'm Yeah, but you know, you don't want to be these people.
Speaker 1: Because you can't go anywhere. I mean, he could talk to you. There's a lot of So are you ever starstruck?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure, I try. If I'm working with someone, I try to be professional. There's no place for that. That's not why you're there. But yeah, always, I'm always starting. It'll be, it'll be. It looks like you're talking about it's a flash. I'll be sitting in the control room and I go, oh my god, that's wait short, Oh my god. Last week iding with bron Carter. Bron Carter is a lifetime here. It comes from Detroit, grew up about a mile and a half from where I did. He's fifteen years older than me, but so when I was a teenager, he was making what I still considered to be the greatest records ever made. Which of those Miles Davis Quintet records from esp through Miles in the Sky, you know, than that era. And I couldn't believe I was watching him play bass, you know, you know, a couple of feet away in the studio this last week recording.
Speaker 1: I've had those moments, and I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm talking about a slightly different moment, somewhat similar to your initial Brian Wilson thing where you're so starstruck either you can't say anything or you can't shut up as you're saying.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, it happens. I mean the other thing.
Speaker 1: You know, people say most of these people are tortured, okay, ian most don't live up to who you want them to be. But then they're occasionally people to do like Steven Tyler. I say, no, he's that guy. He lives up to the rep So I guess, you know, going back to our earlier conversation, these people they were not entertainment. They were then they were not only successful, what they were saying was so important. Even some of the penumbra. Remember when you you you lived a slightly different world. The Beatles were on drugs. No Beatles aren't taking drugs. And then you know it's legitimized. Everybody's taking drugs. You know you got the messages. Okay, don enough of your time, Thanks so much for doing this until next time.
Speaker 4: This is Bob Left, says sh