Speaker 1: Are you leave then? I you want your way back home? Either way, we want to be there. Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gay. We want to send you off inside. We wanna welcome you back home. Tell us all about it.
Speaker 2: We scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 1: Malborn?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do your need you ride? Ride? Do you need with Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need a ride? This is Chris.
Speaker 1: Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgareth.
Speaker 2: Hello, Karen.
Speaker 1: Hello, Happy February, Chris.
Speaker 2: Oh, it is February, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It's a brand new month.
Speaker 2: Well, and a month where someone has a birthday just around the corner.
Speaker 1: Whose birthday is it? Gee?
Speaker 2: Why it's me?
Speaker 1: Oh it's you?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes?
Speaker 1: What day is your birthday?
Speaker 2: My day birth?
Speaker 1: This is the fifth fab five.
Speaker 2: Fab five fab five Freddy. That's what they used to call me in my rap days.
Speaker 1: I better put that right into my calendar. I feel ashamed it wasn't in there before.
Speaker 2: I Karen, I don't know your birthday. I am very bad at that my sister makes me a calendar yep, specifically with all the family. And I know that's why I get it every year because I've I've forgotten so many birthdays and been a bad uncle on birthdays so many times.
Speaker 1: I during Facebook era, I started to tell myself I don't care about birthdays, just to have a stance right, so that I didn't have to be so involved the way people have gone birthday crazy Yep since the advent. I would say Facebook and posting where it's like, now it's my birthday week, now it's my birthday month. I just don't relate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think people's thirst for hearing happy birthday it was fueled. The thirst was fueled by the way that's what I just said, by getting four to five hundred people saying it and putting a little glittery you know, confetti animated. Yeah, it's people are like, well that and it does make you feel good. And I really have I honestly don't care about birthdays. I've never really wanted to have parties. But on those days where it was the middle of the winter and I didn't hear anything from my family and it was my birthday, I of course felt bad, and I just pretended I wasn't.
Speaker 1: I mean, what choice do we have when we feel bad? But to pretend, or to the nineties version of it is, don't just pretend you don't feel bad, pretend you don't care at all about the general topic. That was my solution. Birthdays don't matter to me. What are you talking about? Of course they do, but that was it was like a great stance where it's like, well, then I don't have to worry about your birthday, and then you don't have to worry about my birthday.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: My personality is I don't care about birthdays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm afraid that I sort of do.
Speaker 1: I clearly do.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think I got that from my mom did not acknowledge her own birthday because she didn't want anyone to know how old she was. Yeah, and never would ever. I didn't know how old she was my whole childhood.
Speaker 1: Right. That was a very it was a boomer lady thing to be mysterious. And they hadn't had all the activism behind who they were and what they got to be. They got none of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're totally right. Yeah, she thought every year she was less of a person. That's terrible. A man, it's horrible. Yeah, we just we're just here to cheer you up. People.
Speaker 1: Guys, remember when it's like my mom, who is from I think basically the same generation, probably within five years of your mom or so. She was obsessed with dressing up to go on an airplane. Like there was a shit where I was like, ma'am, that is straight up from dinosaur times. Yeah, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm absolutely wearing sweatpants. I will be comfortable on Southwest. I won't wear a pillbox hat. What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is. There's an older woman that every day buys her one day of groceries at Lasen's down the street from my house, and I see her all the time, and she dresses up. She's probably in her late seventies, maybe eighty, but she dresses to the nines with like glittering. Everything she has has either gold like I guess le may, I don't know, woven into a sweater or what she's got sparkles everywhere. She wears jewelry. Her hair is perfectly beehived up. She is straight out of a fireside cartoon. Yeah she is. She talks to everyone. And at first I was like, oh, brother, don't get cornered by that lady and I and because she's like, oh, well, don't you just look darling today and she wants to talk to everyone. But that recently what I realized. Like the other day, she was in the parking lot putting her groceries in and this guy who I've seen go into the store or he's just trying to be scary. He has an angry look on his face, all face tattoos, and he's gone in there with a backpack, and the security guard is just kind of like, is it worth it to follow this guy around? He's really intimidating. And then he buys just a juice or something, and everyone knows it's this weird thing. Everyone knows he puts stuff in his backpack, but everyone's scared of him. The other day, she was getting in her car. He went straight towards her. I happened to be walking in the parking lot, and I don't know what I think I'm gonna do, but I stopped when he came up to her, and she immediately goes, your face is just so beautiful. Look at all that artwork. It is what a way to express yourself. I wish I could do that, but I have all these wrinkles. And he just started smiling. And then I was just standing there and she was like, are you guys friends? I'm like, uh, I go not yet. And then he just stood there a while and she asked him some questions and he was really sweet to her. I don't think any old lady that like a grandma type figure, had ever been this sweet to this guy.
Speaker 1: I bet no one's been sweet to that guy.
Speaker 2: That's yeah it and it was her first instinct. She was not scared and like, oh, I know what I'll do here. That's just how this lady is. And she is that way with everyone.
Speaker 1: She's a zen master. She's a zen master because that is like she's interacting with her world the way she wants the world to be. She's not reacting like, oh I am I am in danger, I am in fear. She's like, here's how I see you, and I see you beautifully, which is the ultimate diffuser of anything.
Speaker 2: And she was not scared at all. She's a badass.
Speaker 1: Why would she be scared. I'm sure she's fucking murdered a husband and buried him. Under the porch.
Speaker 2: That's what I keep thinking. The trail of blood behind this delight woman.
Speaker 1: Has handled business.
Speaker 2: Cia secret ops. They have put her in places we don't even know on a.
Speaker 1: Map, green brace.
Speaker 2: She has slit so many throat. I just really like hers, what I'm saying, and one the other the day just I see her all the time. I see her as much as I used to see Henry Rollins at the Santa Monica Teredo Joe's Daily.
Speaker 1: Two great stars here in Los Angeles, Henry Rollins and this lady.
Speaker 2: I love this lady. She but she just asked me to She's like, I can never open these plastic bags. I can never find the opening. And I'm like, well, luckily for you, I have these clammy fingers and I just kind of twisted it until it She's like, I've never seen that trick. Aren't you just delightful? And I was in a good mood all day?
Speaker 1: Yes, you got a grammar treatment, like yeah, isn't that actually what the world needs right now is when you go out into what you believed to be a hostile world, Like what did I just put on her that she killed her husband? That never fucking happened. She goes into the world and she's like, what a wonderful place to be, what an exciting What do you have to offer? Like, I'm here to appreciate it, like a grandma going to watch you tap dance in second grade. Yes, everything you do is great, and she's going to tell you about it.
Speaker 2: Yep. I want her at my shows. I got to introduce myself to her and just just say, hey, I notice how you are with everyone. Yeah, and I know you're not a murderer. I'll say that to her.
Speaker 1: Don don't bring that up.
Speaker 2: No, I just I know why you said that and why I immediately jumped on board, because I think if someone is that sweet, and someone is that has such a winning attitude on a daily basis, you have to assume there's a dark side or that she's said that's what I put on people that.
Speaker 1: Or that she just has seen some shit Like whether it's dark or whatever, she has lived a full, serious life that is taught or what's important. Yeah, and when you get lessons like that, they're hard, and they usually it's through loss, It's through relationships ending in some way that you can't control, or.
Speaker 2: The visitation of three Christmas ghosts.
Speaker 1: It's she had some change shaken at her and she learned her fucking lesson and she was a nicer accountant because of it.
Speaker 2: I really, yeah, there's something happened to where she's like, I'm going to be great every day. I there aren't a lot of people like that, and I don't see a lot in my neighborhood. It's like a hip young person. Everyone's in a band, you know. I don't know where she lives or if she's lived in my neighborhood her whole life, but she is just one of the most impressive people. I want to be more like her.
Speaker 1: And I think I told you this story about when I lived in New York and I go down to the badega, and I really loved the idea that there was a bodega like literally every fifteen feet in the neighborhood I lived in. Like I lived in the middle of a block and there was a daga on each end. And it's like, okay, so just whenever I want gummy bears and cigarettes and you know whatever, like anything a Perier architectural Digest magazine. I mean, like just like anything you could want, it's right there the store. Is overfilled with wonderful items. And so I one weekend morning, I walked down to a different bodega because they had breakfast sandwiches, and it was kind of early in the morning, and I walked in and there was an old, old lady in there, and I immediately was like, this lady is like she's probably in her early nineties, and she lives in Manhattan, like we're in we were in Hell's kitchen, and I'm like, where does she live? Why is she here by herself? Why is no one with her? Why didn't anybody? And I'm going through this apps immediate panic, and I'm walking like I go to get juice or whatever stupid thing and go get in line. And I'm just like telling this myself, this story about this lady's basically living in an apartment by herself, talking to the wall, and I was getting so upset and so whatever, and the lady turns on it, looks at me and goes, honey, are you okay?
Speaker 2: Oh? Isn't that great?
Speaker 1: Because she was fully talking a guy that worked there. Clearly she probably lives in an apartment above it and like knows everyone in this neighborhood and is absolutely fine and large and in charge. And it's like, oh yeah, all these stories about like, you know, old people not being okay in the city, I don't think that's the case. I think people old people that like grew up in Los Angeles proper, they're not scared to go to fucking lassons. Yeah, they've seen real shit happen.
Speaker 2: Oh that's the other thing about this lady. She can drop an F bomb in conversation. Oh yes, she just says fuck every other word. Was the woman you saw in Manhattan? Did she have long, black flowing sweater with gold woven into it? Be dazzled?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this lady's by coastal and she's going like spreading the magic in several cities.
Speaker 2: You're saying, yeah, she needs to take this shit to the middle of the country. I think they'll need this, and yeah.
Speaker 1: There a they need some like super positive, judgment free grandmas. Just like is that juriar fifteen? Oh my wow, brave of you to bring it into this subway.
Speaker 2: Keep it so clean.
Speaker 1: You must clean it day and night.
Speaker 2: You're a proud little boy, aren't You're You're a proud boy.
Speaker 1: And then he just starts crying.
Speaker 2: I never had you in my life.
Speaker 1: He cries, his tears dissolve the gun metal and everything is fine, Everything is cured because of her. Does lessons have a bulk section, like you could go and get Australian licorice nibs?
Speaker 2: Yes, this one does, but there's not a time. It's mostly like your granolas and salt free almonds and things like that. None of it is like, hey, you want some gummy worms, but a pound of a like there's no fun bulk. Oh, it's serious bulk for you know, for serious people, for having regularity.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, then it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Sorry what please repeat?
Speaker 1: I just said, Then it makes sense they call it bulk. It wasn't really, it wasn't great.
Speaker 2: Think are you kidding? Everyone knows what you mean. You immediately see a pair of troer trousers filling up and someone going upsy Daisy, too much oat, yeah, flax, Chris.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing we didn't get to visit on for very long. Our last episode was with Maggie Ferris. So delightful you knew her, I had never met her. Yes, what a great That thing went by so quickly. I was so excited.
Speaker 2: I was excited to I felt like a matchmaker.
Speaker 1: I just definitely a match but also I am what I could listen to her talk about driving that snowplow perhaps for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm always searching for as our comedian friends, to have be that deep in another interest that we've never talked about, and that was a gold mine. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's like it's a career, but it's also like she must have made the decision like this is going to be what I do, because then she had to get her special license. Anyway, my point is, in the pre of that episode, you started talking about going to singing lessons, and I just want to circle back on that, because after we were done, I was like, man, Chris actually fucking did the thing he was planning to do, And like, you did a thing that's actually really scary, like you wanted to do it and then you just did it. How would you like to explain to the audience how you actually executed the plan that you had?
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. I uh, And That's what I'm doing on my birthday. I'm singing with my band herb Dogs again in a bar called the chair nine bar, which means it's on the Mountain, And that's why I wanted to brush up, because there's a couple songs I didn't I have trouble with. But yeah, I just was doing a show in Portland and my friend from college asked me, Hey, do you want to sing songs from old skate videos with us at this fundraiser in Washington? And I immediately said yes, And then immediately was like, what have I gotten myself into? All I've done is karaoke and all that's been is Billy Idol and Elvis Costello, Like what am I doing to myself? And so out of fear, I just didn't want to back out. And then when we did it, I realized how much fun it was to be on stage and be physical and walk around and yell and have my arms in the air. You know, me as a comic, I just stand there with my hand on the mic stand. I never moved my body. Yeah, I thought that's just how I am on stage, and so it was like I was being someone else and I loved it. I loved it a lot. But I'm realistic and when my voice is cracking on a song, I'm horrified by it. And I wanted this guy to show me, and I think he did show me a lot about breath control and and singing from the right place. But I went to his bands. They're playing at the Whiskey. I was making fun of one of the songs and I'm like, this sounds like a band that would play at the Whiskey A Go Go in the nineties. And then at the end of our meeting, I was like, are you in a band. He's like, yeah, yeah, we're playing at the Whiskey on the ninth, and I'm like, oh, it.
Speaker 1: Was an example, but oh you said it to him, yes.
Speaker 2: And his I know, yeah, the best thing, the best that's.
Speaker 1: Your psychic ability is coming out in the perfectly wrong way.
Speaker 2: I know. They're called Hot Crazy and I remember it. Yeah, that band The Darkness, Yeah, that came out with that operatic thing. He sings like that or like Freddie Mercury and they are like a high octane, very gay metal band, and it is the best thing. I'm very excited to go. I'm going on the ninth. I just really like this guy and his voice was amazing. But when he was teaching me and he learned all the songs on piano, which was very impressive. I was like just the fact that he learned them on piano. I'm like, well, this guy's not a rocker in any way. Don't let the lung hair fool you. And he is all the way balls to the walls metal and it is amazing.
Speaker 1: That's the kind of exciting thing about musicians is they can kind of be all things and it's like they're about the music man, and that is what I love about them. It's kind of like the dedication is to the craft in general, whatever version of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think he's just playing role in this band. I think now when it comes down to it, he is a classically trained musician and could be a Broadway type singer if he wanted to, and probably has. Maybe that's what he's doing next week. I don't know. I'm just seeing this one gig of his. But he knew how to He was very good at illustrating how to position my mouth and make room in my jaw, what to do with my tongue, how to loosen up my neck. I was like, holding my neck so tight that there's veins and tightening my shoulders. I should be doing the opposite, and he just had me wiggling around loosely while singing, and it helped so much, just one hour long session with him.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his name is Carl and he's terrific.
Speaker 1: Well, Carl, thank you for helping Chris. So wait then you're going to do another? Is that the thing you're you're saying that, I yes, chair.
Speaker 2: I'm What I'm realizing now is I probably did not even get close answering your question, I am remotely not even near it. I'm not even near I am doing it again. My point is it is it looks like it's going to be a regular thing, so long as there's still a skateboard adjacent event where people will recognize these songs, because if we were just at somewhere like the Whiskey, it would be a bunch of covers of bands a lot of people haven't heard of that, yep. But in front of the right crowd, which is forty something skateboarders and there's a lot of them out there, it is an entire soundtrack of a childhood. Like the songs we're doing are from the beginning of skateboard videos coming into your homes in like the mid eighties up until I'd say skateboard videos songs from like early nine, like ninety two or three, and we picked the best ones. But that was such an important time. It was that was the innovation of the sport that those eighty five to ninety five is ware of skateboarding found itself. Now it's just I agree, I agree, yeah, it's it's just they're jumping off bigger things and it's getting more death defying. But all the tricks, the shape of the skateboard. Every year in that decade, you saw it advance to what it is today. A documentary about that would be interesting to me. And these these people that I want in the audience well.
Speaker 1: And a bunch of girls who weren't allowed to actually participate, but we're watching with a very close eye from the side or out the cafaleen.
Speaker 2: And that's why I get so excited now because those girls are skating and they are so good and it's happening now. So that's the innovation that's happening right now. Everyone is skateboarding. Oh my god, you know, retired mom's old farts like it is. It makes me so happy. It's such a positive thing. And I hung out with a bunch of skater like pals with my friend from Montana he was visiting. I went. We went to a schoolyard. Everyone's in their forties or at least thirties, and we there was twenty two of us skating and it was the nicest group of guys. I just met them and they all like hugged me. It was like a supportive group. I'm like, can I just travel around in this group of two dozen for the rest of my time here? This is You don't see that with comedy. There wasn't.
Speaker 1: No, it's the opposite. In comedy, it's the least chill, fucking, most irritating, neurotic. Generally men there are. It's literally the opposite vibe.
Speaker 2: Right, And so maybe that's why I love seeing it with skateboarding, because it's also generally men. But it's a different vibe and it's a different type of person. And I don't know why that is. I can't, I would I do.
Speaker 1: I think we've talked about this theory. My theory is, and I base it on my friend's little brothers, who are both really good skateboarders. I think one of them actually make have gotten sponsored at some point, and that was like in the mid nineties, or maybe early two thousands, But I was talking to him one time because I'm like, why are all skateboarders like this, Like you're all super nice, Like I never feel that weird, like oh they're gonna say something mean or there's gonna be some weird boy energy that you're like, what the fuck is happening here? And he was like, I don't know. I think it's cause like we have to make a family out of ourselves. And then later my friend was like, yeah, it's all boys that basically had to leave the house because the house was so fucked up and you just go out into the street and like do that all day. Like I shouldn't say all, but there's a majority of either like kids with single moms who just have to like make their own fun, or like the house is a nightmare and you're going out and just like going, fuck all that shit, I'm gonna go do this. And you have that experience of not having support at home or you know, somebody to pat you on the shoulder or whatever, and you know it's important to you, so it's important to your friends and other pe people that are doing it, so like they do a good trick and you all fucking cheer, because yeah, people need that and they start to recognize it. Like, that's why you're trying so hard. You want to impress your friends and you want to be good, and they're helping you get good.
Speaker 2: Right, That's why it's so weird as I've gotten older to go to a skate spot by myself and just work on my tricks. I used to think it was crazy to not skate with a group of friends. Why would you try anything? Plus if I get hurt, I just lay there in the Costco parking lot. It's still actually not a good idea for me to skate alone. But you're right, And that's why I love that mid nineties movie that Jonah Hill made. It was so specific and obviously he hung out with skater kids when he was a little boy, and it was such a sweet story about that family thing and exactly what you said. It was all single parent households and they all looked after each other, and it was older kid, Like it's a big deal when you're in seventh grade and you're hanging out with guys in high school who are nice too and looking out for you. And like in this movie, my mom, you know vetted them for like ten minutes and realized, oh, you're in good hands. These guys are older. She trusted me with them because my mom. Even though I did want to leave the house, she did. She would like watch me skate in front of the house, and I would like make her get away from the window. I was embarrassed that she was like watching me, but she was totally supportive. So it was it was more than just wanting to get out of the house. It was just like, yeah, it's the family thing. It's it's I It was so important to me. Yeah, and it's that same thing for everyone.
Speaker 1: It's also it doesn't it feels to me. My observation is also like, you're not the dudes that want to play football or any of those other kind of like institutionalized sports where there's already pegging order, there's school politics, there's all that kind of stuff where it's like, no, you're intentionally stepping outside of that. It has nothing to do with ability. It has to do with like, I don't want some old fucking man screaming down my back, Like I don't. That's not going to work for me. So there's a little bit of like the punk rock rebellion element of it. That's also great. That's the vibe of like, yeah, fuck the man, but not not agro and not like bullies. They're not bullies. Yeah, I mean, that's the sweeping These are very sweeping statements, right right. It's my observation, and it's been weird.
Speaker 2: I'm on the fence about what I've seen lately, which is I never made it. So now my son's going to skate Dads that are at the skatepark, not skating telling their son what to do. And that's how Niga Houston, this skateboarder that is better than anyone. He has since got like a divorce from his father and moved in as a young teenager with his mom. But it at the same time, it's why he got so good. It was out of like gymnastics or any of these kind of abuse based sports. And I'm generalizing there of course too, but if you want to be an Olympic gymnast, you have to go through pain and talk about people yelling at you and and oh so many other things. I've always compared the two though, gymnastics and skateboarding just because of the style. It's the way you look while doing it, and it's young to younger. The younger you are, the better you get when you're young, the better you are when it matters.
Speaker 1: And you're kind of having to force bravery because like flipping around like that, I mean, it's fun, but then if you get hurt, it's hard to do it the next time. Yeah, and I'm sure that's where that there's so many parents that are can't handle themselves in that way though, where it's like, oh, you see the spark of potential and suddenly it's just like you're going to throttle it out of your child.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, I remember so many It's a scene in so many movies, but that base where someone's dad would be smoking cigarettes and so emotionally invested in the game, just trying to vicariously fix his shitty childhood, screaming at other kids while my dad would just watch this guy scream at me and they get into it because it's like, don't yell at my son. It was all of it gave me so much anxiety. Every time I had a baseball game for years, I would be anxious because I'm like, oh, the dads are going to get in a fight. Who's gonna yell at me. Is the coach going to make me pretend I'm injured again? Like one time? He's like, just limp off, Chris, just limp off. Can you do that for me? And I'm like, I don't want to limp, Like, I don't want to lie like things like that, like making kids do your bidding.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's just people can't handle it. They can't handle the power.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I was on bad Maybe I was just on a bad team.
Speaker 1: But well, it sounds like you had a pretty bad limp, so that's gonna impact your game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I hadn't practiced a fake limp, and I did this terrible thing. I did the opposite of a limp, where I was springing myself in the air with what was supposed to be my injured.
Speaker 1: Then you got signed to another team. You're like, oh my god, you got a deal.
Speaker 2: He's skipping. He's not injured, he's skipping. Sorry, I've never fake limped before.
Speaker 1: Do you remember in The Bad News Bears. God, damn, that's such a good movie.
Speaker 2: I gotta revisit it. Yeah, it's been too long.
Speaker 1: It's just so funny. Walter Matth though. It's such a seventies thing that could never happen anymore, and in the most beautiful way because he's like drinking and smoking and then like giving the kids beer and stuff. But the kid on the other team who was the little boy, I loved him so much. Do you remember the I think you're too young. But there's a TV show called Portrait of a what was that fucking Eddie's father? Something like that Portrait of Vetti's father. It was it was like a seventies kid's TV show about and it was the Hulk David Banner, who was the act Bill Bixby played.
Speaker 2: They how do you remember how'd you pull Bill Bixby out of here?
Speaker 1: Because I was so embarrassed, and I remembered his name as the Hulk's name, Yeah, David Banner, I think it was. He was a scientist and he's Bilt some shit on his pant legs. No, Bill Bixby was the dad. And then the kid who played the pitcher on the other team or yeah, So it was like the team they finally go to play and they are getting good enough to actually be good and not the worst, and then this kid his dad is the coach, and the dad is screaming at everybody in such a prick member. And then the very last thing, when they're like tied up, he just starts pitching balls on purpose. So he's like pitching way high and just standing in and the dad's like, come on, get it across the plate, and he's just staring at his dad and pitching balls. And his dad comes up and he basically pitches the fourth ball and walks so that they get the score, so that they This is how I'm remembering it. I wonder if this is actually how happen.
Speaker 2: But I don't think it's a famous movie.
Speaker 1: Though it's a famous but it's so old at this point. I think it's from nineteen seventy six or seventy five or something. But it's just this beautiful moment because it's like a thing that had already started happening in kids' sports. It's kind of out of control today. I think maybe it's come down the other side. I don't know. I don't really spend too much time around kids sports, but that acknowledgment that it's like that kid, you're the one with the power, you're the one with the ball. You can do anything you fucking want. No matter how much your dad screams, you can still pitch a ball. And this realization this kid oud of like, I don't care about this game. In fact, now I want to lose the game because I hate you so much. So here you go and he just pitches four balls and I think the dad comes out to hit him, and then Walter Mathow maybe he does hit him. It's really intense, but it's like so beautiful where it's like kids. Basically, that's the whole idea of it. It's like kids being empowered to actually do what they want, not what parents want them to do, or not what coaches, you know, not buying into that whole thing of like your value is winning, Your value is a game, like it's not.
Speaker 2: So that sounds like it's That was from Bad News Bears. You were just trying to pinpoint the actor from the courtship of Eddie's father.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, yes, I was pinpointing that the little boy who was the pitcher, who has this great face and there, hold on a second, I think he may have gone on to become a skateboarder. I'm not kidding. Hold on, hold, oh.
Speaker 2: Wait, this is all It's so funny.
Speaker 1: I could be making all of this up.
Speaker 2: Did he go on to be in No Effects?
Speaker 1: Oh? Is that what it is?
Speaker 2: Where is he one of the kids in Bad News Bears? Is I believe fat Mic from No Effects to the punk found Really? Yeah?
Speaker 1: It's so all the boys that were home the team are now it's their current fixtures. There he is Brandon Cruz. There he is there, he is very yep.
Speaker 2: Am I right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a punk. He became a punk. Look at the face. How about an all American seventies child actor.
Speaker 2: Face like that? Oh my god, the.
Speaker 1: Little space between his front teeth. Hold on.
Speaker 2: So I love that he was in Bad News Bears and became this punk rock star. Yes, it's so perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there look, oh maybe he just has that on because he has sotal skateboard clothes on. But maybe that's just because it's the fashion and not right.
Speaker 2: It's called being a poser.
Speaker 1: Oh, he was in the Dead Kennedys.
Speaker 2: You're kidding men, So like five years later he was in the Dead Kennedys.
Speaker 1: He was in the court okay, the courtship of Thatty's father.
Speaker 2: I did say that, I I it just came out of my mouth. Bill bixbeed right out.
Speaker 1: Of me.
Speaker 2: If in a panic?
Speaker 1: What did I call it?
Speaker 2: We just knew it was that's something of.
Speaker 1: Eddie profile of Eddie's father or anything like that.
Speaker 2: But he isn't courtship like when you're dating. I guess I need to watch the movie.
Speaker 1: It was because his dad was a single dad. And then they had a lady who was like the nanny and.
Speaker 2: A friend brasher type. Just kidding.
Speaker 1: She was not she was. She was actually Asian American. Her name was Mioshi Umechi, and she was like very proper and stuff. But then you were like, oh, is Eddie's father going to marry her? You want her to because he the little kid loves her, so you're like, oh, this would be the perfect family. It's it was one of those kind of things. But he was in the band doctor No yep, know. And then he became the lead singer of The Dead Kennedy's two thousand and one to two thousand and three, so post you know, ye, yes, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: We are we are singing that is our closing song, moon over marin A County. I'm sure you're familiar with by the Dead Kennedy's, a song where i'd simply do an ethel Merman impersonation while karate chopping my throat. I have to go, ah, that's what I did the whole song, not that violently, and that probably didn't sound good to anyone.
Speaker 1: You sounded exactly like Jellabye offered to me. For as much as I know Holiday and Calbodia, that's really my.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's another. They did have some good songs where like if a band did them, they would have been a popular mainstream song.
Speaker 1: A lot of these the part where so Greg Barrent used to have a band with my friend Laura Milligan. She was the lead singer, and.
Speaker 2: They used to Monarchs.
Speaker 1: Uh. They had a bunch of names.
Speaker 2: Oh gotcha, gotcha it was I don't know if it.
Speaker 1: Was the rating Monarch. So first that's Greg's band. After I think, yeah, I can't remember the name Hi Ball. Anyway, they used to cover Holiday in Cambodia, and she, Laura was hilarious. She is one of my best friends. But she used to do this thing in the pole Pot Park. She would pretend like she was letting different parts of the audience sing, but we'd be standing in the middle of like some shitty club on Peko and there'd be like, you know, twenty five people there, but she would play it like it was like a gigantic concert. So she would be like pole and then hold it out for everyone to go pot. But we'd all just standing there. It was so hilarious.
Speaker 2: Anyway, that's great. That's what I'm going to do in the chair lift bar up on a snowy mountain. I'm going to pretend I'm an arena rocker.
Speaker 1: Pull you go, you sing pole, and then hold put your hand to your ear and hold the mic out and let everyone else sing pot. They'll fucking love you for it. You're right, I oh wait, you're not doing that song?
Speaker 2: No, but there. I can do that with a number of songs once. Once people are singing along, I gotta do the hand of the ear and hold the mic out, especially when my voice is gone. Yep, that's a trick that I've seen. Even because it's fine. I was so hard on myself that I my voice isn't it with some of these songs I was able to sing in like eighth grade in my car. My voice isn't doing that anymore. You go and see any popular band, it's very rare that their voice has stayed the same that whole time, and you see them always holding the mic out like during a high part. Yeah, like I love the audience.
Speaker 1: They're singing anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I'm going to use that. I'm going to use that because I as much as I've oddly enjoyed it, I have a standard cold right now.
Speaker 1: But you've been enjoying it.
Speaker 2: You say I have just because there's no looming is what is happening? Is this eating my brain away? My brain is working. I simply have the sniffles and I'm coughing up phlem not to be graphic, but we're all doctors, and I and I and I feel it's nostalgic. I haven't had a cold in four years, and it's been a reason that's sort of just cancel all my appointment except for this one, except for the things that matter.
Speaker 1: Good call, good call, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: And I've just kind of been, you know, drinking fluids and having vitamin C. But my voice is enjoy terrible timing though, because I sound very.
Speaker 1: Gravelly, and uh wait, when's the performance?
Speaker 2: I'm afraid it's Saturday and the second show's been added Sunday. My actual birthday.
Speaker 1: Okay, so after we stop recording this, yes, don't talk anymore, no joke, just don't rest your voice.
Speaker 2: My singing coach told me.
Speaker 1: That that's what Tom said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Carl, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: What Carl said.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then do I'm sure you said, like lemon and honey, hot water, you know what I mean. And do warm ups and stuff like that, like if you are going to do any singing, warm up and do those like like vibrate your own voice box.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, did youido noises? That is what I've been doing. Yeah. Yeah, you could have a cold.
Speaker 1: You could also have like allergies because of the crazy shit that's flying around in La right now, because of the rain.
Speaker 2: It sure felt like allergies the first couple of days, just sniffles and I but it's full on eut of fever. The other night like it's it's but yeah, all these things can be allergy. I'm maybe having severe allergies.
Speaker 1: But sure if it's a cold, you know, get the mental game going and it's like, well, then that means you're halfway through this cold. You probably only have two days left if.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe three? Right then My only fear is we right when I land tomorrow we're rehearsing, and then there's a day of rehearsal on Friday. But I'm just going to speak on the day before. I'm just going to talk the words I you know, so they can practice the songs.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: But but yeah, you're right, yeah, And if my voice stays throaty, we'll just switch to doing covers of the guy whose name it would be great if I remembered right.
Speaker 1: Now, Darryl Hall, John Oates.
Speaker 2: No, neither Hall nor Oats has ever had a gravelly Oh, the guy that things like this, David do Tom Waits Waits Wait, wait, I have it. It's on the tip of my tongue.
Speaker 1: Tom Waits, David, Wait wait.
Speaker 2: We're just gonna stop and say, Okay. The rest are Tom Waits covers, and now there is Dead Kennedy's as Tom Waits. Yeah. Yeah, that might have to be uh my fallback position.
Speaker 1: But I'm very keep your keep your hot drink nearby, keep your hot honey and lemon based drink nearby.
Speaker 2: I will be using my exactly right thermos. Look at that, and I'm exactly throat coat tea, and I'm going to go after we're done recording, and I mean this, I'm going to Guitar Center. I'm getting Entertainer's Secret throat spray nice and it has. Back when I had my tonsils, I would just be doing stand up anywhere, and if it was winter, I would lose my voice all the way and have giant tonsils. And I couldn't find a single dentist that would or whatever they're called, uh, that would take out my Yes, a doctor, what's the specific tonsil? Doctor? Though?
Speaker 1: That's what I can't remember.
Speaker 2: An anti in your mouth and throat, and sometimes they dabble in foot.
Speaker 1: And nose sometimes why yes?
Speaker 2: Sometimes? Why did you not become a DNS I? I? Uh, it was so hard to get them to take my tonsils out. My whole life, I had strapped throat every five times a year. Anyway, I discovered this someone told me about Entertainer's Secret. It's so funny. It's a throat spray with like a film reel on it and some theater masks. Yes, and I would lose my voice and I'd spray it in there like I was about to do a kissing scene like the old guy from Tutsie. Sure, but my voice had come back for exactly two minutes, and then it would go away and I'd spray again. I made it through entire weekends of shows using this spray so only available Guitar Center Nice proud sponsor of other podcasts that aren't this one.
Speaker 1: We could get them on board. We've got a nice sized audience.
Speaker 2: If anyone from the entertainer Secret Throat Spray people is listening, I'm ready to represent you.
Speaker 1: This is when Chris really loses it. He goes off by himself and says, I'm ready to represent you right right. This podcast is what's making it possible.
Speaker 2: I really that was a perfect opportunity right there for me to say we yeah.
Speaker 1: And he like the old lady in the parking lot, open it both.
Speaker 2: Did once I told you about her. We loved her.
Speaker 1: See he's doing it right now. Look at how quickly he can adapt. Well. I'm very excited though, because six months ago, this hold singing with the band thing was just this dream kind of I don't know, I think I'm going to do it. And you took a risk and you had fun, they have fun doing it, you made friends doing it, and now you're actually doing a thing. It's almost like one more it's like skateboarding, like golf. These things you're adding to your life and you're actually continuing to open yourself up to new opportunities and new performances.
Speaker 2: And I want to be that way. I don't want to be closed off.
Speaker 1: You're doing it.
Speaker 2: That's happening. Thank you, Thank yous. I appreciate you recognizing it, because I have noticed, and I am happy that I'm doing these things. But it is also that thing where I'm spreading myself thin over a bunch of different things, and it's I think you could just a lot of these I think they call themselves renaissance people. They end up wandering off, you know, kind of lonely, dabbling in so many different things that they never they never really make it in any of them because they're not spending enough. Everyone we know all they do. If they're focused, they just focus on that one thing and they become successful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you've always done multiple things. You've always been a multipler, and you are successful. So like whatever, you can choose to interpret it differently, but like you've worked on this podcast and didn't give up on this podcast, and booked this podcast, and like was the sound man for this podcast and made it happen, and now this podcast to beables you to do other things like you know, you've put in the work on things and then gotten yourself paid on multiple things. You've won golf tournaments and prizes.
Speaker 2: It means a lot when you if I this kind of support when it comes from you, you did. You gave me a call like this before I did Conan many years ago, and it made me suddenly so not nervous, like I earn this, yep that I right before I went out pulled those curtains open. I was like, oh, no, I should be nervous right now. Why am I not nervous? And then I decided that last minute to be very very nervous. Sure, but yeah, I really appreciate that your support. I thank you.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. Well. Also, everything we do and the way we experience it is a choice. So you can be as nervous as you want to be. Usually that means you're excited. Like we can interpret it is I'm nervous, which means I'm a failure, I'm a fraud. I've done that a million times. It's just not worth it. It's like you're wrong about that. You have to admit you're wrong. You have to admit you put a lens on things negatively to because you think it's a coping mechanism. It will help you be less disappointed if it doesn't go well. And instead of that, you also have the option to look at it, be have that feeling, be excited, and then use that excitement as the fuel to excel and be great, which is the thing you you know you do and you have experience with. And the thing that so few people understand is that when you see a comedian kill it on Conan, it took you know, usually about seventy eight hours before that of pure human torture to get out there and get that done. Not if you're a psychopath like many people we know, but those of us who actually are pure comedy sensitivo, you know who it comes through us. It's authentic and it's real. It's very difficult to do it, and so the difficulty is actually the mark of quality, because it's difficult because you care and you're actually talking about yourself, and it's real and what you do out there is a real experience for you. That's why people love it so much when they watch it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's thank you.
Speaker 1: You don't have to be nervous when you're a fucking fraud or when you're like when you're a weird creep that's just trying to control large groups of people.
Speaker 2: And the noises thing, that's the thing that that's the one that confuses me when it is someone that is talented and they do not get nervous, and I'm like, what, how do you believe in yourself this much? There has to be they also must have been murderers at some point.
Speaker 1: Or had screaming dads or like figured out you know. I think we had similar upbringings where it's like our parents left us alone just enough to allow us to be independent, right, and then they also work on or at least my parents were like those seventies parents were. Then we got a little extra being left alone that wasn't great because it was it created anxiety and coping mechanisms that other people didn't really have to go into. So it's like whatever, it's fine because it's like it's that idea that then how you know, when people go like how do you do that? How do you get on stage and tell jokes? Then it's just like because of the life experience that I've had.
Speaker 2: Because for four years I had an imaginary friend named Chuck who followed me around and I would actually speak to you know, that's all. It's uh. And my parents didn't shame me. They're like, how's Chuck doing? Like, oh, he's good, he's good. I wonder when any real children will move to my neighborhood. But you're right, the all these comics always joke about it, and I've joked about it that you're working one hour a night, but no, at that one hour that night involves me pacing around and doubting myself for myself for two days prior, yep, and beating myself up. I really don't enjoy stand up until like the middle of a set if it's going well, or usually just the end. Once it's over, I'm like, that was really enjoyable, but not during.
Speaker 1: It's like you, it's past the third joke, lip, I think where you start. No one's good when they very first start, because either you go over you go under. Unless you're doing sets every single night. Usually the first joke can either be great or awful. Then you have a chance to either recover on the second joke or get over confident on the second joke and then really bite it. And then there's the third joke where you're like, all right, this is my last chance. But if this but if that joke goes like either poorly or even medium, that's when my like my throat will just tighten and then suddenly I'm kind of talking like this and I kick it to the end of yeah, yeah, which shit like that goes on on stage, and the audience immediately gets like a stomach ache, and like they almost want to especially if you're when you're a female comic, they want to boo you off the stage because I can't handle how vulnerable you are right then, And like there's those moments where like you have to run those scenarios through your head before you do a set because it could happen to.
Speaker 2: You, right and it has this and it has I'm like, I'm suddenly fifteen years old and you're all mad at.
Speaker 1: Me, yep, or the just all the liquid has gone out of my upper body. There's no it's dry as a bone and there's nothing coming. And I can't keep sipping this water because it's actually interrupting me talking.
Speaker 2: I still when I watch I have so many nervous SIPs. It's the only time I stay hydrated is when I want to not be somewhere.
Speaker 1: You have to write that down for like when you're actually doing it on stage.
Speaker 2: Okay, I will. I don't have to do it now, but I won't remember.
Speaker 1: You have to do it now. You always have to keep That's why you have to keep a post it note, a neon post it note nearby.
Speaker 2: I wrote it down, or a version of it that I won't understand in an hour. I know if I did, if I did a show at at like Largo, would you do it?
Speaker 1: Of course?
Speaker 2: Would you perform entirely? Would you do song? Do you sell? That's a yes? Yes? Okay, I'm going to figure it out.
Speaker 1: Good luck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well I might just surprise you. I I love it if you did scand up again. And if it doesn't matter to me if you do music or if you tell jokes, I think, deep down, even if you aren't admitting it, you miss live performance, and.
Speaker 1: I really I miss it terribly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 1: It's true. No, No, I've admitted that to you a bunch of times, and I do have a couple plans. I was going I'm really mad this didn't work out. I was going to be one of the opening comics. Jackie Cashin did a show at the the Improv Bar whatever that yeah, yeah thing it's called the Lab. Yeah, sorry, it's been that long. I haven't been at the Lab. So Jackie asked me if I would go do her lab show be one of the opening comics, and I was like, yes, I absolutely will. But then it was the twenty first of December and basically I had to go to Pedaluma because my sister's like, oh, really, are you going to miss the big dinner on the twenty second, where I was like wait what, I didn't know there was already plans in the work, so I had to cancel on her. And I was so bumped because I was like, I want to do this really bad. She's like, we'll do it a different time. And that's Jackiecasion. God bless fucking Jackiecasi. I follow her on TikTok and she has some of the funniest fucking jokes, like she's just such a good comic, and I was like, this will be such a great way. I'll be able to watch her and I'll be able to kind of be in. That's like such a great crowd. People that know Jackie that then they fucking like care about comedy and they you know, they're the good comedy nerds, like the Positive Vibe Comedy Rights. I was really excited to do it, and also I just was like, I need to just start writing bits by the end. Before when I was doing sets before COVID, I just had these like nine like old tweets that I had kind of refurbished in destroy my life, yes, of course, and then I just was like no, no, I just kept doing the same set every time I would do a set, and it made me feel terrible and ashamed because I am from that weird era in the nineties where like you were supposed to do new material every time you did a set. I mean, like I think most comics around.
Speaker 2: I love to stand up like that. Though, Like you had a joke that was about someone rattling the bathroom door. I think you told it differently. I think it was based on a tweet probably, and you told it differently every time, But it was the talking your way through it and the way you were talking about it that made it work. I think that it's okay to do.
Speaker 1: It is it's just so easy. And you know this ould trick where when you're doing well, No'm like when you're mid set where you haven't written anything new, and you can basically I can see a movie in my head of the dude that's been at the three shows where I've done this same set, who is like Because there's just this brand of comedy fan these days that I am just like there, it's just a different era where they're like they go to tons of shows and they're fanship is like, they're into it like super nerds, and they know when people are doing jokes from old specials and they complain about it and all that energy that's very much like they want to be doing it. So they're putting this energy out other people. And that's all I can think about when I'm on stage is like, well, if one of those people's here, then they they're.
Speaker 2: Just just one of them. It just be fifty other people that just want to be entertained by you, and that one person will make me do all half biked. It kind of happened the other day at the Lyric. I did an hour long set and I there was a couple of people where I was like, I know they've heard this most of this before. One of them is my own manager, and I'm still let Oh my god, my head, I just wish that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard not to do that to yourself. Well, it's the easiest thing in the world to do to yourself is to let that voice step up and be like bad news. Everyone's disappointed if you Yeah, yeah, mid set, the mid set so dark. But you know, I do have a couple of plans in the works to try to do it again.
Speaker 2: Oh that makes me happy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, it was a I told Flanagan I think it was November and Fred Armison was doing like a Fred Armison and Friends show, and he was like, do you want to come and do Fred show? Because you know we're friends or whatever.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why I really want that. I think you're my way into back into Largos and that's that's one of the reasons I want. And what did you do? I haven't been there for years? Yeah, it's that COVID, it's you know all that.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, no one's been there for years.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: I mean he opened up a lot sooner than most like larger venues. Yeah, but now he's got a down pat.
Speaker 2: And what happened with that discussion?
Speaker 1: You're just it's just oh, they had to they had to move the show for some reason. It was like a holiday issue.
Speaker 2: Man. I if I look back, there are so many things that happen on the twenty first or twenty second in December, and I've had to say note every year, that is the time everyone's like, hey, good news, we got a career opportunity. Amazing show. It's the twenty first and twenty second. I'm going to my family on the nineteenth and nothing can change that. I have to sit with my family and eat candy and watch movies, and it's more important than my career just during those days.
Speaker 1: Sorry, but also you have to know that nothing has ever happened that's career changing on the twenty first or twenty second right of December, when literally Los Angeles empties out like a glass of water at night. It's just empty of all human beings.
Speaker 2: Right. That's why I'm getting the call as everyone else has gone to why does everyone want me around the holidays? Oh, it's just because they're asking everyone.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, yeah exactly stop booking shows during the those times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, would not be fun.
Speaker 1: That's not the sill. People are like, please. Also, I do have the guilt, and we've talked about this. I just have the guilt of I know there's a million billion people that do stand up and want sets. So I was starting to feel like when I did my set, I'm like, well, if you're not even gonna write and you're not going to try, why are you taking up someone else's spot. There's a youngster that's trying to be an up and comer, and I'm just kind of like, it's like a person that won't leave their table at a busy restaurant like that.
Speaker 2: I guess you can. I mean, I guess I think that sometimes as well. Yeah, but it's hard. I know. It's every time I do a show, the nice people that listen to our podcast after come up to me and ask when you're going to perform again. It is the first or second question out of everyone's mouth, and I just say, I'm working on it, but I don't you.
Speaker 1: Know that, and you truly are. I mean, I do appreciate your constancy about it. I just I also think it's just my uh. I think it's post COVID night I have to break out of that feeling, you know, that feeling of like the last show I did was bad or whatever, where it's like who gives a shit at this point? Who really gives a shit about anything right at all?
Speaker 2: And to be honest, I haven't fully broken out of it, or it's still in my head that I haven't. I'm still rusty. That's yeah, Like the damage of taking that much time off is you know, like the heartache after a six month relationship lasting three years. It's the same with comedy.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you didn't break up. You should have? Then you just took two and a half years to break up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I broke up with a stand up around the time COVID hit and uh, And even though we're now seeing each other as friends, I'm still in love with the old relationship we once had with them far more romantic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there, and looking back where it's like and I was hotter, I used to do this better. There's like all there's so many things that weren't standing in the way. It was exciting and new.
Speaker 2: The last time I was going at stand up, I didn't have progressive lenses, a laundry cart and I used to remember to zip up the front of my trousers, and I never called them trousers.
Speaker 1: No, No, I have aged so much. You are eighty six. You should ask that lady at Lasson's parking lot out on a date because you're the same age as her.
Speaker 2: I'm sure i'll learn how to play bridge. I don't know what it is, but let's do it. I took my laundry cart down to the grocery store and put groceries in it a car. I had my own, my own grocery cart.
Speaker 1: I brought it smart. Then you don't have to like hack it back pretending you're cool. It's just not just beside stuff that whole need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm embracing it.
Speaker 1: I think a rolling grocery cart is a great idea because I'm that person has like four bags on each arm and I'm just trying to get to like the kitchen counter. It's the it's such a and the ass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know why. I'm like, oh, it's good exercise to do one arms, shoulders, shrugs on my seven block walk home. What am I doing? No?
Speaker 1: That is actually really good. That's a good isolated isometric muscular.
Speaker 2: I really do. As I walk home, I'm rolling my shoulders like this. You can't see it, but right now I'm showing Karen how I roll my shoulders so my croceries and I'm holding you weird.
Speaker 1: If this guy is walking towards you on the sidewalk, you would truly jwalk to get away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which did you know is no longer against the law.
Speaker 1: That's right, Thank you Los Angeles municipal voters. Bem, we get to walk all the fuck over the street now.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's as long as it seems safe. They're just like, who cares anymore, we don't want your money. I don't know what changed. Uh.
Speaker 1: I think they were like, no cop is spending their time doing stuff like this, so we might as well just take it off the books officially, although I will say when I lived in Burbank, my friend Vicki would come over and we would do like an hour walk before work every morning. And one morning we were walking. We had walked all through to Local Lake and we were walking over to the Starbucks like as a final pass, and we were at that is it Riverside or Alameda? You know how the two come into a y right by Bob's Big Boy. So there's a street here, street here, and then it becomes one, it becomes riverside. So we were over at the crosswalk and it's a light and a whole thing. It's pretty busy road, but it was seven in the morning, so we were just like, we're just like checking checking, We're going to run across. Suddenly there's a motorcycle cop and he's rolling toward us, pointing his finger in the air and going back. And then we went and stood on the We had to go back across the crosswalk and stand in the street, and then he gave us a lecture about how many people get killed, this is very dangerous, don't ever do this again, and he was It was so infuriating. I was like, I was so fearous. I'm like, got it, thank you, got it immediately, so rebellious, but it was like, we get it. We did a thing that was wrong. Now you're making us wait for a light and there's literally not a car for miles in any direction. Got it? Also power problem.
Speaker 2: I'm not a child. And also no puppy guarding that's what he was doing.
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought maybe that was just region old where I grew up. That's where where you're just standing there waiting to catch someone, usually in a sport or something. Oh okay, It's like, you can't just stand there and wait for me, Like if you're let's say it's a game of tag where you have to touch a pole or something. I have to invent a game to explain this. But you can't just hang out by the pole waiting for that, right. That's puppy gard cheating. And I don't know where the puppy comes in.
Speaker 1: What the uh, I've never heard that before.
Speaker 2: No, I have a feeling. It's just what if it's something only I said and I saw it in a dream. You know how we.
Speaker 1: All used to hear you and Chuck this was meet you and Chuck and everybody else used to say it all the time.
Speaker 2: Not only did I have an imaginary friend Chuck, I had six imaginary puppies, and it was Chuck. I had to guard it all time to tag them, so I would guard the puppies. I just realized where it came from.
Speaker 1: We we've gone over. That was the easiest, most fun. We're very good at podcasting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really just a second nature for us.
Speaker 1: You know why, because we're only talking about ourselves that entire episode, we both talked only about it.
Speaker 2: You know what. No, we we gave a shout out to that the older lady that is my hero. We talked about her and then yes, and then we each talked about ourselves.
Speaker 1: Yes, wait wait, we also talked about.
Speaker 2: Brandon Cruz, Brandon cris So. We talked about singer and vocal coach Carlbine plant Based Hot Crazy band.
Speaker 1: Plant Based.
Speaker 2: I will be at Hot Crazy on February ninth when I get back. Hell yeah, Birthday concert series doing Tom Waits covers.
Speaker 1: Hell. Yes, well, good look at your show.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, and thank you for the supportive words and making me I actually you have a special way of doing that. And now I'm like, yeah, I'm just going to own it and have fun and pretend I'm in an arena rocker and it's going to be great and funny. Yes, it's it's a comedy show.
Speaker 1: I mean, really, watch some old punk live concerts and do shit that those lead singers do, like go stand right at the speaker. Yeah you know what I mean. Don't they do a bunch of shit like that? Or just like you know, let the front roasting put the mic down into the crowd is.
Speaker 2: Like putting your leg up on a monitor does actually help you isolate all the air. Like Carl was telling me, like keep your legs slightly bent. They aren't spreading their legs and bending them just to look intimidating on stage. A lot of it is vocal tricks.
Speaker 1: So you don't clench up, don't keep it loose. Keep it loose.
Speaker 2: That's the biggest thing I learned from Carl. Don't clench up. I flex every muscle in my body. What was I thinking?
Speaker 1: No, you have to be like one of those weird floppy air tube guys in front of a Carlo.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be a used car lot balloon man, long and tall and slender and folding throughout my torso and smiling. Don't forget to smile now. Jim Lindberg, who is the lead singer of Pennywise, and we became peals when I worked at Fuel and I kind of stayed in touch. I posted a video of me singing and that was the first thing he said, Hey, good tone, good pitch, good singing strung, but what the hell are you doing with your arms? Take my seminar this weekend Punk rock arms, and he wrote all these fake like sign up times and everything. It was all in a comment section. He took it super seriously, and I think people thought he was being serious, but I did. In the video, I'm literally just have my arms down next to my sides like a kid waiting to get picked at recess, Like it's really funny.
Speaker 1: So you're right, So wait, can you just give us a couple examples of punk rock?
Speaker 2: I mean you have to say the lyrics and make a fist and pump your fists to the consonants and the rhythm of the the what you're singing. Yes, okay, it's obviously hard to do while you're talking. That's why what just happened then was stuttering. I would not be stuttering if I wasn't trying to pump my fists or just or just having your arms raised, or holding the mic stand and having my elbows lifted up, just anything other than yes, please pick me for third recess kickball arms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't show them any nervousness because there you're supposed to be like, this is fun, guys, it's fun. And that is also about that is the zen trick too, where it's like You don't think about what they're thinking about you. You think about giving them what they want, giving them a good time, giving them like here's you're gonna love this. We're going to play these songs you love. We're giving it to you, You're not taking anything from.
Speaker 2: It, and I'm going to do whatever you are. There is in feige, full confidence, and that includes my arms. That's time you can really see my personality in my arms. The last performance and this time confident arms that the kind that can sell a car.
Speaker 1: Don't be afraid to put one fist on your hip. I feel like I've seen that as you sing like turn maybe do like a almost like you're kind of doing a Greek freeze or is that what it is? You know where you're kind of like it would be like a walk like an Egyptian but instead of trying to do Egyptian arms, but one fist on a hip into profile. It's kind of a yeah. It's like a peev Herman slightly yeah thing. It's presentational. You're saying, here, I have a style. I'm making a choice.
Speaker 2: It's so funny, but I have When we're done here, I am going to well, first time, gonna get my throat spray, and then I'm going to look at body positions and old punk rock videos on YouTube, and I'm.
Speaker 1: You know what you could do at the guitar Center. You could ask any cashier because they are also a lead singer of a band, and you can be like, hey, what are yours? Hey, what are some pretty solid armjusters you like to use as a singer. You will get answered.
Speaker 2: I know, I don't know if you're kidding or not, but I think I actually will.
Speaker 1: I don't either, because I think it's a good idea.
Speaker 2: It just reminds me of that time Brandon Malson I got on stage at a Scorpions show and he did the proper headbanging as security pulled him off stage, and I did the confusingly did the robot. I've told that story before, but it's an example now of what I just don't know what to do with my body. I panicked and I started doing the robot. I went electric boogloo, and I just should have gone I don't I think.
Speaker 1: People would like it if you did the robot. In this scenario, you'd have to wait till the ends, like gain the good faith, yes, and then save the Robot for when things are.
Speaker 2: Going right, I think you're right, then I can actually express myself. Yeah, okay, I have a lot of studying to do. Thank you Karen for the words of encouragement.
Speaker 1: Of course, I'm proud of you. I think it's great. I think going into music is always a great option for kid. We should we should always do it. It's really smart.
Speaker 2: I think the refreshing thing is going to be uh if we do get paid, and I'm not sure if we will splitting that with three other people, that'll be a nice refreshing. Oh. I don't know how bands do it.
Speaker 1: I remember talking to my friend who was in a band, and I was like, what hotel do you guys stay out when you are in because we had just been on tour, and that guy's like, are you fucking kidding me? We were in a van and I was like, oh no, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're splurging with an Airbnb cabin. Yeah, yeah, exactly, this is I'm I'm this is uh, I'm spending money on this, but it's important to me.
Speaker 1: It's for charity. Wait, so sorry, you're doing that this weekend?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm leaving tomorrow morning.
Speaker 1: Oh my God, have the best time. You're gonna have the best time.
Speaker 2: You know how to say later, but I had a good time.
Speaker 1: In case you're wondering, perfect, I'm so glad to hear it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, it was great. Thanks for all the advice. It all worked good.
Speaker 1: Perfect. I love hearing it.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to Do You Need a Ride?
Speaker 1: D y n A.
Speaker 2: This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: Produced by Annalise Nelson.
Speaker 2: Mixed by Edson Choi.
Speaker 1: Our talent booker is Patrick Cootner.
Speaker 2: Theme song by Karen Kilgarrett.
Speaker 1: Artwork by Chris Fairbanks. Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d y n ar Podcast.
Speaker 2: For more information, go to exactly rightmedia dot com. Thank you, Oh You're welcome. Hancock