Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome into the Betting Pros Podcast. I am Ryan Warmley, joined today by Terrell Furman Junior. We have a bracket, Terrell. We can now look at the NCAA Tournament twenty twenty five. We know the teams that are in, we know where they are seeding, we know where they're playing, and we can start filling out those brackets. One of the most fun stretches of days of the entire year is just tinkering with my bracket and can't you know, really struggling to decide who's going to be in my final four, which usually happens in most years. How are you doing today, buddy.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm good. I'm great.
Speaker 3: My VCU rams won the A ten. Shout out to the home team VCU for being able to get that done. I like the draw getting a BYU team that's ryan hot. They know that they can shoot, but they haven't seen a defense like VCU, So I'm one. I love the mid majors and one of my favorite parts of the tournament is seeing what mid major decides to make the dance and make this interesting for us.
Speaker 1: Speaking of mid majors, I promise we were going to look at this from a non Homer view for so the show, I have to ask my Maryland Terrapins. We were just talking about a little bit before we started recording. They're facing a mid major in that four thirteen game they get Grand Canyon. What are your immediate thoughts on that one?
Speaker 2: Oh, be careful, Maryland.
Speaker 3: This is a Maryland team that has a good amount of tournament appearances and not a good amount of wins. Here and Greg and Canyon you talked about it in pre production. Grand Canyons fans travel really well, and so we'll see how that goes. But man, from a Grand Canyon team that I think can do it all and that has the ability to put up a lot of offense and really really lockdown defensively, Maryland may be in trouble.
Speaker 2: Just maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see how that goes. I feel like Memphis is a pretty decent five to get as a four, you know, I know a lot of places had them seated a bit lower. So we'll see if they even get to that point having to get past grad kid and I do want to let everybody know that we have a pick them contest here going on. If you think you know college troops take your bracket knowledge to the next level with the brand new NCAA Tournament Pick Them Contest sponsored by FanDuel. Pick your winners or make your predictions against the spread all tournament long for a chance to win up to one thousand dollars in FanDuel, DFS credits, signed jerseys, and free annual Betting Pro subscriptions. The best part is it's completely free to enter. You can enter now at bettingpros dot com slash contests. All right, Terrell, let's start off with the really main conversation that you see every year at this point, right after the selection show, which is the teams that didn't make it, and who are the biggest snubs in your opinion? And not only who are the biggest snubs, but who would you take out to make room for them?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think this year is not even the conversation of what teams didn't make it. It's the conversation of what team did make it that took something out because North Carolina is in the field. And as somebody who yes, I do like the North Carolina it's our heels, you know, coming down to the North Carolina area. I've been around here a few and you kind of end up picking loyalties one way or another when you frequent around North Carolina too much. I questioned them against the best teams. Everybody talks out the quad one win record and all of that, and yeah, they got a little bit of hot playing the bottom of the barrel the ACC. But the question mark is how how do you judge the ACC? Because they were very very lukewarm in a down ACC conference and they made it in the tournament. And if you told me Indiana got that spot, I wouldn't have been surprised. If you told me Boise got that spot, I wouldn't have been surprised. I think Boise is the team that I look at and I'm like, oh, I really wish we kind of kind of get to see that team in the tournament. But North Carolina making it in I think that's the one that everybody's confused at. And now that they're in there, h they might win a game maybe too.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, not only Carolina is the obvious one. You're right about that, but those two teams you mentioned were the two that I was thinking would have a chance over Carolina and Indiana and Boise. So I in locks up with you on that was Was there any seating snubs in your opinion, any teams that like, yes, we knew they were going to get get in, but you thought they were lower, or the other version placed teams you got were higher than they should have been seeded when you look at the bracket.
Speaker 3: I think the ending of the Big Ten Title game was rather interesting. You had Michigan come in as a five seed I believe in granted, Michigan looked horrible to start the regular season, but they got red hot when they needed to and won the Big Ten tournament. And then you had that Wisconsin team who who I believe was ranked a three.
Speaker 1: Is that what we're there are three? They were the twelfth team on the escurve. Yeah, there are three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I'm like, ah, three for that Wisconsin team that struggles like you saw it in the Big Ten title game. That Wisconsin team struggles down the stretch of games. They will have you in the game.
Speaker 2: Have you in the game? Have you in the game.
Speaker 3: When you get to the final three minutes, four minutes of basketball, it looks really really bad on offense, and honestly, what it looks like is a lot of just hey, figure out somebody shoot the ball and hopefully it goes in, and not a whole bunch of hey, let's make this set, let's do the things that were working for us all the way up to this point. Wisconsin kind of melts down in games, so the fact of seeing was consin as a three. I thought they were overseeded and definitely going to be a team that I'm looking out to go ahead and get them out of the water early.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I tend to agree with that. I mean really like Michigan. I get it. You mentioned some of the struggles I had at various points in the season, but I think you could make a at least a cogent case that they should have been seated higher than Wisconsin, who was a three. Purdue and Maryland were both fours. I mean, Michigan just beat Maryland yesterday. Obviously Maryland beat them at their place too earlier in the season. I don't think Purdue's resume is all that exciting. Like I was surprised to see Michigan out of five, given some of the metrics and particularly how they finished the season. We see it a lot of years, though, that Big Ten Championship game often doesn't matter because it's so late in the process the bracket is typically made. So unless that's a team that's going to steal a bid and they have to leave open that contingency, you often see it not impact seeding maybe as much as it should. I know that's like as a Big ten guy, Maryland, I know that's something that people kind of often talk about amongst the fandom. Are there any teams that just kind of in this early conversation Soalle, you think people aren't really talking about enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wafford.
Speaker 3: I hate that the Wafford team got Tennessee as the first draw, and that's really really tough. Maybe they're a team that I'm looking to bet on against the spread and not necessarily move them along with my bracket. But that Wafford team, man, I mean, they are completely hot coming into this tournament. From three, They're shooting forty fifty from three into three games that it took them to win the Soocon Championship. They their offense is simple. We're either gonna shoot up a bunch of threes or we're gonna get those easy percentage chances at the rim. And Corey Tripp, Justin Bailey and they got a freshman Luke Flynn. They're all shooting better than thirty five percent from the field. Bailey's all the way up like forty five percent from the field from three, So both like Wafford has a whole lot of offense, and I was like, man, any team is gonna really really be nervous. And then I see Tennessee come across the board and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, uh, not that team.
Speaker 3: That's a really really good team. So I really, I really am looking at the at Wafford. Still, maybe I'll bet on them instead of move them along in the brackets. But that was a really really tough draw. And then my VCU rams this isn't really a lot of like homersm at least I don't think for me with VCU. But they're a really really good defense. They have a player that I think could be one of those darling players that people talk about in the tournament in Matt Shulga, that can go out there and score on all three levels and be really really good energy guy for them and want to end their best players. So VCU if they get past that BYU team and the hot three point shooting that they have, and VCU makes that defense and makes them play down to their pace, their level, and hey, this is a grinded out defensive game. Yeah, VCU can make a run and then they're gonna play that Wisconsin team that we just talked about potentially in the next round. So if you're telling me that VCU gets BYU in Wisconsin and moves on to the Sweet sixteen, I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 1: I like VCU a lot. I always wonder when a team, like a mid major team, has a coach that is getting lots of looks at maybe moving up to a higher level. And I know there's been some talk that like Ryan Odum is going to be the next guy UVA. Maybe I know Villanova. I've at least one reporter say that could be interested in him. So I always wonder if a team is gonna feel just like a little bit distracted when they go into the tournament and that's kind of hanging over the team. But I'm with you. I think VC is a good team. I think he's a good coach. Obviously, we know what he can do in the tournament, give it what he did with the U NBC several years ago. So I think they're a good call as well, I do want to let everybody know that if you want to build the perfect bracket and take down your pool, you can use the free bracket Optimize bracket optimizers use me at bettingpros dot com slash Bracket. Again, that's the free bracket Optimizer. At bettingpros dot com slash Bracket. You can optimize your picks using advanced data and betting odds, lock in your favorites and will do the rest for you. Find key matchups and smart upset picks instantly make your best bracket at bettingpros dot com slash Bracket. All right, we're gonna go region by region, but before we do, I do just want to quickly highlight how strong these one seeds are this year, Turell. It is ridiculous. If you look at Kenpom, there have been this century. I think it's four teams that have had an overall net rating above plus thirty five on Kenpom prior to this year. There are four this year alone, and of course is the four to one seeds. Duke is number one in Ken Palm, Florida number two, Houston number three, Auburn number four. Every one of those teams is a net rating over plus thirty five. Even a team like Tennessee you just mentioned is a really good team. They're the fifth team on ketub this year and they're plus thirty one on ketbov. It is ridiculously strong, and that trickles down to it's very deep as well. I mean again, I've been following Maryland a lot this year. They're plus twenty six point three to five. That would be easily a top ten team in most years. Their twelfth in M Palm this year. That's just one example, very very very strong at the top this year. When you look at these four one seeds, do any of them stand out to you as being susceptible to an early loss in this tournament? Or are they just so good that we should be penciling them into our final four pretty much right off the bat?
Speaker 2: Uh penciling in?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We'll see what Duke looks like.
Speaker 3: Duke has a lot of injuries, and we're gonna have to see what this Duke team looks like going forward. And maybe that's something that says, Okay, maybe Duke could beat Had because now you're having lineup changes, you're doing things that you didn't do over the course of the regular seas because you always had Cooper Flag, because you always have believe because you always had all these players that you never really had to play around with the lineup, especially in crunch time. And I think that's the part that could really get Duke because if you go back to the beginning of the season, Yes, this Duke team grew over time, but that early beginning of the season, how young this team is that really showed up in crunch time. And I think that's something that I always kind of checked in the back of my head, like, hey, when they get in crunch time, sometimes they do fold. So maybe a Duke team like that, I could see them becoming one of the teams that kind of goes down, especially how everybody talked about how down the ACC is and they kind of ran through this ACC. Maybe there's a little bit of bias of how Duke's been playing recently, but I see Duke that probably be my number one just to go down. But that's just because of the continuity of Hey, they got some injuries here, there may be some changes, some tink rings in the lineup, and you don't want to do stuff like that when you get to the biggest tournament all year.
Speaker 1: It feels like Duke certainly has the talent right Florida playing as well as any team in the country. Auburn at times has played as well as any team in the country. They obviously have you know, John I. Broom, possible player of the year as well. So Houston's kind of one that stands out to me, not necessarily even to knock uson, because I think they're really good team obviously, but having to face Gonzaga potentially in that second round, who was also a top ten Ken Palm team, and you get why Gonzaga might have been seeded where they were, but in terms of the metrics, a very very strong team as well. So maybe kind of a tough road for Houston there, at least certainly in the second round. Let's start going region by region, Terrell. We'll start with where the number one overall seed is. That is Auburn in the South. We don't yet know. There they'll be faced facing a sixteen seed. We'll see which one ends up being.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a nine there, let me just go ahead and give you that. Now, it's gonna be Alabama State. Let's go on sweat.
Speaker 1: You're locking that one in already, so Auburn will be facing Alabama State. As you say, Louisville Creighton is the game in the eight to nine. Louisville playing in Kentucky, so definitely a location advantage for them. Just to read through the whole region, Michigan is the five going up against UC San Diego, Texas A and m is the four going up against Yale or misses the sixth seed. Obviously we're rating to see who they facing that eleven game. Iowa State is the three, Lipscomb is the fourteen, Marquette at seven, New Mexico at ten, and the Michigan State at two and Bryant at fifteen. When you look at this just from Auburn's perspective, do you think this is a tough draw for the number one overall seed. Do you think it's a fair draw. Do you think they maybe have a relatively easy pass? What's your initial reaction for Auburn.
Speaker 3: I think it's all right. I think it's relatively fair. I think the eight to nine matchup is always going to be interesting in this side of the bracket. Iowa State, I think that is the one that you're really concerned about and unfortunately, I believe one of the guards for Iowa State isn't going to be able to play in the tournament, and so that's one of the one in seams I was looking at that. I said, Man, Iowa State, I think is seated a little low just because of a couple of losses they took towards the end of the season. At three, I think that they probably could play so the level of A one or a two, to be honest, and they're all the way down there at three, and then you're getting that with the Auburn side of the bracket. And I still think even with injury, man Curtis Jones for Iowa State is a baller, Like he's one of the guys that I think think of when I think, hey, who's gonna be that person that kind of takes over the tournament and makes everybody shine and everybody's looking at them and they're talking about him from weekend weekend weekend. Like I think he really is one of those type of players where he could average some twenty plus points over the course of the tournament for Iowa State. So yeah, I think that's really the big concern for here. For me Iowa State, and then of course they get Izoe and Michigan. And it's been a while since Izzo's been able to be Izo in March and he's had that roster together. So I think that this could be one of the years where that makes this confusing for an Auburn team and make and make things stuff.
Speaker 1: There's good players in every region. Obviously. This is a region though, that has a number of players that I think could become I mean, they're all very good already and stars to certain levels, but guys who I think could really kind of explode on the national scale. Obviously we're ready to broom at Auburn and you just mentioned Iowa State, but you know Cam Jones with Marquette Jace Richardson the freshman at Michigan State. You know Michigan's two big men. There's a lot of Chuckie Hepburn at Louisville. There's a lot of really good players in this region, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, It's a lot Like I I think this is a good one. I think this is a good one. If I had to go with a pick here, I think I am sticking. I really really want to move Iowa State. It's the final four here, I really do, but I think the injury is just too much. I don't know what they're gonna be able to do about Jhannibro. But Iowa State does do a really really good job of clogging up the lanes and clogging up the inside making you shoot three point shots. And so I think it'd be a good game if you get an Auburn in Iowa State or Iowa State in a Michigan down there in the lower part of the bracket. I'm gonna go ahead. I'm gonna stick with the one seed here though, I'm gonna go Auburn.
Speaker 1: Do you have a favorite underdog in this region?
Speaker 2: Hmmm, I'll see here.
Speaker 3: I could see a yet Yale and Yale in Texas A and them. It's gonna be a good game.
Speaker 1: I was thinking in terms of the first year on Yale might be a good choice. Maybe Mark Marquette, I like Kim.
Speaker 3: Is the guy from Yale who I can never pronounce his name. He is pronoun I can never pronounce his name, but he's a baller whatever his name is. Oh my gosh, he's a hooper. So I think, you know, and the Yale team has been through a lot of turnover.
Speaker 2: And they're still really really good.
Speaker 3: So yeah, man, I could see a Yale team going, and then that would only like, bring this whole SEC is the best conference and they're gonna get all these teams they like we've seen so many times. It was one year, I don't know if it was last year with the Big Ten or the year before with the Big Ten, but the Big Ten had a whole bunch of teams and like half of them were.
Speaker 2: Out in the first weekend.
Speaker 3: Like sometimes you just you see really good basketball, really good competitive basket wall in a conference and you assume that that conference is dominant over everybody else, and they always aren't. So so yeah, I think a Yale team is fun. I think that UC San Diego team against Michigan is also really really interesting as well, And so I probably keep it to those two teams right there and say we see a upset at four or five.
Speaker 1: Let's look at the East Region. Obviously, Duke is the one seed. We already talked about Mississippi State and Baylor in the eight to nine game I've seen. Baylor has been here before. Oregon is the five, Liberty the twelve, Arizona the four, Akron, the thirteen BYU, the six VCU, the eleven, Wisconsin, the three, Montana, the fourteen, Saint Mary's the seven, Vanderbilt, the ten, Alabama, this two and Robert Morris the fifteen. You have already shared that we might be thinking of Wisconsin as an early victim of getting upset. We already shared that you like VCU. So that's a really interesting pod from the way you're looking at it. What about the rest of this region? Do you like somebody in particular in kind of that Oregon, Liberty, Arizona, Akron range? Do you like anybody to upset Duke here? You talked about them dealing with their injuries. Is Alabama one of the stronger twos in EU opinion? How do you evaluate this region?
Speaker 3: Okay, So Oregon is always a team that I circle because of Data Autman. Data Autman really really good head coach when it comes to the guesst the spread numbers in the tournament, and so you put a circle there. You're always interested in, Hey, what's the line on Oregon and who are they playing? And how are they able to get up for some of these games? And I think if they get past a Liberty team that's pretty good. They've played Arizona in years past. It wasn't just two years ago. They were in the same conference. So I think that they could get up for a game going up against them.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask you quickly, is Arizona maybe gonna get upset because Tobby Lloyd has not been very good in the turnip For as much regular seas and success as they've had under him, that is not translated to Martin Yet.
Speaker 3: They lost as a two seed, lost as a two seed? What was that Princeton?
Speaker 2: Yeah and so, and they're playing Achering like Akron is the.
Speaker 3: Team that you did not want to go you do not want to go up against when you're talking about a coach that struggles in the tournament and an Accron team that plays from behind. They've been comfortable playing from behind this year and not giving up in games, not giving up in games. So Akrod against the spread numbers against Arizona is something that I'd be interested in. But I mean, here, Duke, I think if they get Mississippi State and Chris Jansen that defense, I think that they could scheme up something good, especially if Duke is compromised. They could scheme up something good and then that would throw this whole region on his head. I could see a number of situations. I could see Alabama, of course, coming out of it as the two seed, and I think that's what I'm gonna go with this. I'm gonna go with Alabama. I think that they're gonna be able to get it done. A little bit of a path of least resistance for them, because I think that whether you get Saint Mary's or Vanderbilt, they have familiarity. With Vanderbilt, I think they can outshoot Saint Mary's. And on the other side, I told you I'm not confident in Wisconsin, and I think they can out play offensively be BYU and the high shooting offense and three points that they have. So yeah, I think this is pretty comfortable with me going Alabama in this region.
Speaker 1: If I ask you for an underdog, I'm assuming you would pick VCU given what you've already said.
Speaker 3: I mean, the Rams do struggle offensively, and when you get to an Alabama you gotta be all the way, So I wouldn't give him as my underdog all the way through. But yeah, I do think that they can make this game very competitive with BYU, I think they can beat BYU. And if you tell me they beat BYU, and I have VCU in a game against Wisconsin, I'm one hundred percent taking VCU. So yeah, yeah, maybe VC you can get me a little sweet sixteen.
Speaker 1: Nice little run there. All right, let's go to the Midwest. Houston is the one seed as mentioned and going up against SIU Edwardsville, then Gonzaga the eight, and Georgia the nine. Clemson is the five. McNeese Underwill Wade is the twelve, Purdue the four High Point to thirteen, Illinois the six. They'll face the winner of Texas Xavier. I think it is. It's not on the bracket. I'm looking at Kentucky the three, Troy the fourteen, UCLA seven, Utah State the ten. That's an interesting one, and then Tennessee to two and Wafford you already mentioned, is the fifteen. I think the standout for most people looking at this is going to be again I kind of already alluded to this, but Gonzaga is a top ten team on Kenpom according to the metrics. As a potential round two matchup for Houston, that's a tough one.
Speaker 3: I feel very confident about Houston in that matchup. I think Houston defensively has the press, has the ability to speed Gonzaga up a little bit more than what they want to be offensively, especially in the half court, and get them turning the ball over. I think Houston be able to offensive rebound in that game. It's really just the size and if as long as Houston can combat the size, I think they have the guard play that you know, Gonzaga is so predicated on with nim Hard and all those guys over there, I think that they have the guard play that can play really, really well with them. I think Houston is I have I'm gonna have multiple brackets going over the course of this season, and there are three teams that I'm pretty confident that I'm gonna have winning, and there's Florida, Houston, and then I may, you know, just in case I hate Duke into a title outthrow one with Duke in there, but really really hoping the Duke one doesn't come through, but just in case I hate them, I'll throw one in there.
Speaker 1: I am not somebody who has typically liked Brad Underwood or this Illinois team that much. Maybe that's because I'm a Maryland fan, and for whatever reason, Maryland owns Underwood. It's remarkable how often may be eat him, even when they're less talented. But I do kind of like them against Kentucky if it gets to that point. I think it's a good matchup for them with the lack of defense you get from Kentucky, Like Illinois can run back and forth and I think they can definitely outscore them. I like Tennessee a lot kind of in their pot of four down there. They're also just a really good team obviously, as we talked about, So I kind of like Illinois to face Tennessee when they get to that point in the I guess that'd be the Sweet sixteen. The other kind of region of this region and that I think is really fascinating is this Clemson McNeice gew High point range. Anybody can come out of the cog case for any of those four teams exact.
Speaker 3: Any any of those four teams can come out of there, and I would be like, all right, understood, it's March like that's what happens, and you know, tough things like Clemson is a team that we seen them beat Duke, like when everybody thought Duke was unbeatable, and there was nobody that was gonna get in front of Duke. Clemson went in there and played them in a tough game, got them into what exactly I was talking about, a late game situation. That's what you want to get with Duke k Just don't try to go out there and blow them out by twenty points and beginning the game. Hey, let's stay it. Stick with them, stick with them, stick with them, keep with a close game. Because when we get in a late game situation, that's where we execute and we can hope on the young the youthfulness of that Duke team, and Clemson was able to exploit that earlier this year when they got the win. And so yeah, I think Clemson can go out there and beat anybody. But oh man, there's some power going on with Will Wade and McNeice right now. Did you see did you see the manager for McNeese.
Speaker 2: On social media? Oh man, dude, he was sitting there.
Speaker 3: He's had a spcial media video and it was after they had won, and he was like, yeah, we're going dance and look at it and he shows off his sweat, so it's got march Is on his sweats. He's like, yeah, that's where we're going a huh seeing next Sunday. Yeah, yeah, and he got an nil deal with like Insomnia Cookies and Buffalo Wow Wings.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, this dude is electric. This is what March is about.
Speaker 1: He's a great coach too. I mean, like, obviously the reason he's at the Levelly he is is because of some of the stuff with paying players in past years before that was allowed. But like, Will Wade is a very good basketball coach. I like mcneesse a lot, and Purdue, like, listen, obviously they're not what they were last year without Zach Edie. Brandon Smith is really darn good as well. Yeah, high Pointing not an easy matchup, though, I don't think so. Like that's a really interesting again, any of these four Klepston, McNeese, Purdue high Point, Like you could talk me into making a Sweet sixteen run.
Speaker 3: Watch that high Point, Watch high Point, and it went out right against Purdue.
Speaker 1: I mean, Perdue's been upset before in the tournament, right.
Speaker 3: Like I hate yeah, and uh, I would hate it. It's so many times that Purdue has just gone into the tournament and laid an egg. And I think that watch high Point be the dog that everybody's playing. I'm sure by the time the end of the week gets here, high Point is gonna be the dog that everybody's playing, because everybody's gonna look at Purdue and being like, do I really want to lay that many points with Purdue?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? All right? What will keep us from Houston Tennessee? Or are you saying it's gonna be Houston Tennessee and the Elite eight?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think it's I think it's gonna be Houston Tennessee. I think this is gonna be rather chalk Houston Tennessee, and then Houston just has I like Houston's offense a lot more and I think that they're gonna be a lot more consistent on offense and the defense is gonna do what it does if they have the guard play to guard Thenier and guard Ziegler and really not let those guys be the guys that beat them. We'll see how the bigs are able to do and that they're able to counteract that in the game. But I think that those Houston guards are good enough defensively that they can take away the top two guard options for Tennessee and make this a really, really tough game.
Speaker 1: I want to let everybody know that you can get your college basket ball. Betting Edge Live joined Matt Pearl and Terrell Furman Junior, every Tuesday at five thirty pm Eastern on the Betting Pros YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Betting Pros for expert NCAA tournament picks and betting breakdowns. Here are the best bets before the odds move. You guys will be doing that in a couple of days with some first round bets, some of those first four bets. We're gonna doing that for every round and all all tournament long with you two, So that will be something everybody wants to check out before they place their bets. All right, let's get to the West Region. Florida is the one seed going up against Norfolk State. You condy eight, obviously coming off back to back championshit.
Speaker 3: Be careful about that Norfolk State team to put some respect on their name. They played a Tennessee team and lost by it was like five or seven points or something like that.
Speaker 1: So I almost paused when I read them to let you jump in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So give that Norfolk State scene some respect.
Speaker 2: I understand.
Speaker 3: Is we got a lot in front of us right now. But they are gonna come in, They're gonna go play hard, and they're gonna cover the spread. Darn it, they are going to cover the spread against Florida. They played that Tennessee team tough.
Speaker 1: What do you think that spread's gonna be?
Speaker 3: Oh, dude, it's probably something crazy. It's probably like twenty and a.
Speaker 1: Half the way Florida's playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Florida.
Speaker 3: Florida is one of my like I really really think it's going to be tough to beat Florida in this time.
Speaker 1: I think they're still good. I think Todd Golden is a great coach. I I really one of my really good friends is a Florida grad. I texted him the day they made that higher. I said, he's going to take you to a Final Four in the first three or four years. I think he's I think he's really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And they just they have too many athletes. Just like everybody on that team can score the basketball, score the basketball efficiently. They offensive rebound at one of the best in the nation, and all those offensive rebounds probably come back into three point shots made for that Florida team. It's just too much offense for anybody. I mean we haven't even gotten through naming the rest of the bracket yet, but like it's really hard for me not to think Florida is making out of this region.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know a lot of my Maryland fan friends were talking about, call you, we got to avoid Duke, or we got to avoid Auburn. I was like, I want to avoid flor Yeah, nobody is playing better than them. Of course we didn't avoid them. Uh. The eighth seed is Yukad, the nine is Oklahoma, the five seed Memphis, twelve seed Colorado State also playing very well right now. Maryland, of course, is the four Grand Canyon, the thirteen Miszoo is the sixth Drake, the eleven that's a really interesting one. Texas Tech, the three UNC Wilmington, the fourteen Kansas, the seven Arkansas, the ten Saint John's, the two Omaha, the fifteen. First of all, at the bottom of this region, we might get Rick Patino against John GALLIPERI.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be amazing, that would be amazing.
Speaker 3: I mean, the Italian American Bowl that's going on in that game, Oh man, I just it is gonna be great. It is gonna be great. We probably should get Tommy DeVito course side for that one. Uh we got we gotta dig what's my guy over there? That head coach for Indiana football coach hand football coach.
Speaker 1: Signetti guy from Jmut Signetti.
Speaker 2: We gotta get Chris Sinnetti over there? Like this is that's good? That would be a great game.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, yeah, Kansas, of course, you know Bill self and a lot of talent on that team. They could upset our Italian Bowl in the second round. But an interesting pod there. Obviously, Rick Petino has done an amazing job at Saint John's and you know legendary, clearly legendary coach, arguably the best of all time. So might say, so, you know, that'd be a really interesting area. Missuo Drake, I think is a really fun matchup? What do you make of that one?
Speaker 2: Oh man?
Speaker 3: I mean, if Miszoo finds a way to score the basketball, then they'll win. But Drake is gonna Drake's gonna play well defensively, And I think with the time and prepare and the watching film and getting ready for this miszud team, I don't know if Missoo's gonna be able to get that done. I mean, Drake has been the team. I think all year people have talked about, Hey, they're gonna do something in tournament. They're gonna do something in tournament. I think now is the time that we're here and we just got to get behind them. That Drake team really really something different.
Speaker 1: Defensively, what do you think about Yukon? I know I kind of skip past them quickly, but again, they have won two straight titles. We know what Hurley can do as a coach. This is not the same Yukon team. I mean last year on this very show, I was asking our guests, is it Yukon versus the field? Like that's how how clear of a giant? They were clearly not the case. Obviously they're an eight seed. Now would you be scared if you're a Florida fan and you have to go up against Yukon in round two?
Speaker 2: I don't think I am. I don't think.
Speaker 3: I'm like and I was talking with someboddies and as the brackets drop, you know, everybody's texting live reactions and they're like, man, Florida, tough draw, and I'm like, well, if we just stripped the name Yukon from the team and it's just Team A standing there and I'm.
Speaker 2: Looking at I'm like, well, I still think this Florida team can beat Team A and they will be really really good.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't know if they have the bigs that is that are gonna be able to continuously battle with Florida downlow in the paint over the course of the entire game, because Florida's cyclic bigs in and out of the game, like they have so many options and gotten so much healthier. And so I mean, Clayton and you talk about Richard and all these other guys, Like, I think that they have so many offensive power, so many offensive weapons on that side of the ball all that, no matter how good Yukon is defensively, somebody really really good is going to get their hamds on a basketball and get a pretty good look at the basket. So I don't think Yukon actually makes it a game at all. If you tell me Florida Yukon, I'm probably gonna end up taking whatever points I have to lay with Florida and saying that they handle business here.
Speaker 1: I do think it is. I think Florida is good enough that it doesn't matter. But I do think this is a relatively touch draw. Not because of Yukon, but just this region as a whole is really strong, even just looking at the coaching. Look at how many former championship winners there are in this region. We just mentioned Hurly with Yukon obviously, Caliperry, Bill self, Rick Patino, those three alone is remarkable. I think Texas Tech is an excellent three seed.
Speaker 3: Like coach Kyle coached himself out of it and so we don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he obviously's got the experience. I mean, I would say this, I think the two, three and four seeds are stronger in the West than they are in any other region. I think I think Saint John's Texas Tech Maryland to me is stronger than like like Tennessee, Kentucky Perdue. I like Tennessee, I don't really like Kentucky Purdue all that much. You know, we talk like Wisconsin's at three in a different region. I know, we like Alabama, Arizona is the four. You know, Texas A and M is the four another region. I think I think the region as a whole, even if not necessarily that matchup with Yukon. I think the region as a whole is very strong. I know, like, like again not to be Homer, but like people have talked about Maryland with they're starting five, is like a possible dark horse Final four team, probably not anymore given that they're going in the region with Florida, but there's just a lot of talent in this region and a lot of really good coaching, so it's a really strong one and I think that could make for some upsets because there's so many good teams in terms of seeding, but maybe not upsets in terms of like the coaching matchup or anything like that. I do just have to say, like I have to give a little analysis on Maryland because that's the team I care about most. Sartreaty five is incredible. I'm not a big fan of Kevin Willard, so I really worry about his two tournament wins in his career, and it's been an eighteen year career, so that's really concerning to me. We already mentioned how Grant Canyon like could be kind of a scary matchup for them, and they have zero death like what there's absolute nobody in their bench to mention in fact that there was a really interesting stat during the Big Ten tournament, and I knew this in my head, but I didn't realize how significant of a stat it was. They are the only team in the entire country to have every single player is either either averaging over eleven points per game or under four. There's no like bench pieces averaging six points per game, eight points per game. It is. They're starting five is all averaging a dozen per game, and they're all It's a superb starting five. They called the crab five. They're awesome. Everybody else is totally useless of scoring the basketball. And if they get into foul trouble, how their game is officiated is going to be really meaningful for them, because if they get into foul trouble, screwed, screwed, it's over. It's absolutely over. So that's my thought on Maryland. I do like the match up with Memphis if that is the four or five game we get in the second round, but like I said, we'll have to see it if they even get end up getting there. Is there an underdog in this region that you are eyeing or I mean, I know you already said you're you're gonna take Florida, but if you had to pick somebody.
Speaker 3: Else, Yeah, Drake is very I think Drake's really interesting and what they can and the fact that if they get past Maszoo, they get potentially Texas Tech, who is amazing offensively and not a bad defensive team, amazing offensively. If Drake can hold that Texas Tech team to under seventy points, oh, man, I think Drake is definitely gonna be in the conversation of oh, they kept these games close, if not won these games outright, and we finally get that Missouri Valley madness in the tournament where they move on to a sweet sixteen round. So yeah, I could see that Drake team definitely getting up for some games.
Speaker 1: Who are some other dark horses you like for the final four in any region? So you know, not a one seed, not even a two seed, maybe not even maybe a three seed could count, but somebody that you would qualify as a dark horse that you would like to kind of highlight here.
Speaker 3: It's gotta be that Iowa State team still State. Yeah, Iowa State with even now with the fact that they're missing I believe it is Gilbert and not gonna be able to play in this game and so in the tournament, but they still have Kurt like, I think that this is still a really good offense. They play really really well. It's just a three point shooting. If they can defend a three point line a lot better than what they've done, especially against like BYU and some of these other teams in the past, then I think that they're gonna be really really lock solid and really really good team. They played well in out of conference. Like, I think that Iowa State is one of those teams that I'm looking at. I'm like, Okay, I could see them a three seed making it to the Final four and being in there in the conversation, especially if you get past an Auburn or something weird happens with Auburn, then yeah, I can see Iowa State getting there.
Speaker 1: Do you have any kind of Cinderella predictions? I know, you know double digit seed will say, And we talked a little bit about high point En McNee. We talked about vcus and eleven. Yale is a thirteen Grant Canon is a thirteen. Do you have kind of a favorite Cinderella or two.
Speaker 3: It's a few of them out here. I'm very interested a lot a lot of those times, some of those teams from the first four games will go in there and they'll be able to go up and get up and go and get on a run. I know VCU two thousand eleven first four was able to go out and make a run. We saw UCLA make it to the final four out of the first four and they made a run. So as I look at the first four games and if there was a team that was I really just don't want to believe that North Carolina has it in them. But they were good out of conference, and I think that's the thing that pulled them in is how good North Carolina was.
Speaker 2: Out of conference earlier in the year.
Speaker 3: So if North Carolina decides to try to go on a run now, I think the tough thing is that even if they get out of this round, they're playing an Ole Miss team and the SEC beat up on the ACC this year and the SEC ACC Challenge, So well we'll see about that. But I'm looking towards the first four games. Maybe we get a Texas that comes out of there. And Texas got really, really hot in that SEC tournament, so maybe a Texas comes out of there. Because like you said, I'm a little bit iffy on Illinois right now.
Speaker 2: And if they're gonna be able to play well.
Speaker 3: And then if they get another matchup with Kentucky and the SEC rivalry like that could potentially either way. Maybe they get up, maybe they lose it at Kentucky team. So not too many cinderellas outside the ones that we highlighted. I do like high Point. I think they could be fun. McNeese possibly could be really fun. Everybody knows that I'm gonna be cheering for my VCU Rams, watch out for Vanderbilt, who had a really good season this year. So I think there's a couple number of teams and I hate to say it, but that Maryland team really does struggle in the tournament, man, like they really do. I blindly told myself I was gonna fade Maryland in the tournament, and so if Grand Canyon just needs one to get them going, then maybe they do to out.
Speaker 1: Maryland won the national championship in two thousand and two. Do you know how many Sweet sixteens they've made since then?
Speaker 2: How many Sweet sixteens have they made since two thousand and two?
Speaker 1: Two you went too high, They've made one one Sweet sixteen And by the way, it was the Turgon like year where They were the number two team preseason with diamond Stone and Mellow Trimble Robert Carter, and they didn't they didn't even do anything with that. They were terrible like like that. The best they did was they got to the sweet sixteen and got blown out in the sweet sixteen. Yeah, they're not good in the tournament.
Speaker 3: They gotta be careful because that that Grand Canyon team also plays really good defensively and if this is an ugly, grinded out defensive game between these two teams, and it's just like whoever gets on that last run goes And plus Grand Kyon's a pretty solid offensive rebounding team as well.
Speaker 1: So I I, you know, my Maryland fan friends think that I want them to lose because I don't like Willard. I want them to win, right, I would love nothing more than to be incorrect, but I just don't think Willard has the stuff for March. And they're talking about extending him, which by the way, was a very difficult piece of news for me to read earlier today. But yeah, like they just and also the fact they're playing Seattle like not going to be easy to Maryland's worst game of the entire season, was there at Washington this year, Like they're not a team that travels well. So they only lost by six because they didn't have any bloods this year, but they looked awful in that game and Washington is not good, so, uh that that really concerns me. And I don't think you're wrong about that. Any players that we didn't highlight that you think could maybe kind of jump out throughout the course of this month. I mean we always see some of these guys were already stars, but like the Shabbaz Napier, like the Kemba Walker like kind of led you kind of those runs Marky Snoel a couple of years ago for Kansas State. Anybody stand out to you that you think we could be uh, you know, really excited to talk about for the next few weeks.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I feel like it's like a lot of guys that you talked about Cam Jones over there, Marquette got to shut out my guys, Shaka Smart one time. We talked about Kurt over there in Iowa State. I mean it's a bunch of players. Some of the smaller schools got got a lot of dolls. Matxtion will go VCU. I think that's going to be a good one. We talked about Grand Canyon and in Maryland, they got a guy down there, Grand Canyon, Grant Fall, who's been really, really good, and I think that he may be able to give them a game and make.
Speaker 2: A little name for himself. So I think it's a lot of players that I'm interested in.
Speaker 1: I really like Marquette, honestly, I would not be surprised if we're sitting here a few weeks from now and saying, you know, Michigan State, they didn't have enough star power. They had a lot of death, but they didn't have enough star power. I always stayed dealing with the injury. If we're sitting here a couple weeks from now and Marquett's in that Elite game, Elite eight game, I don't know I'm gonna put in my bracket, I would not be surprising. Cam Jones is a baller.
Speaker 3: Shaka's got to get over that that monkey off his back in the tournament. Shaka has not performed well in the NCAA tournament. Trust me as a guy that is a fan of Shaka Smart After he took VCU from that eleven seed all the way to.
Speaker 2: The final four in twenty eleven.
Speaker 3: He hasn't he hasn't replicated the same success in a long time, and so very very I'm always iffy about Marquette when it gets to the tournament, But I mean Cam Jones is just a dog like he is an absolute dog. He was going out there and he fought everything he could in that Big East title game and really throughout the whole Big East tournament. So there's a number, there's a number of players Drake. I think Drake has a couple of guys in there that that are gonna be really really good for the tournament as well.
Speaker 1: Any other kind of final warking thoughts on the tournament before we get out of here, anything that we haven't hit on, or just kind of general thoughts about what this tournament. You know, some tournaments are a little chalk heavy than usual, other easy get out, we're upsets is kind of any final thoughts.
Speaker 2: I think that we are.
Speaker 3: We've seen years past where a lot of the underdogs come through, especially early rounds, and I think this is another one. There's a number of underdogs here that I think can make teams competitive at least games competitive. Maybe not get the outright, but maybe I'm betting on them against the spread. Like I said, I had that Watford basketball team circled like, oh man, this dude is this team is red hot right now and they're going into a matchup against a very, very tough Kentucky team And that wasn't the draw you wanted. But like even you and CW, we didn't talk about them on the show that much going up against Texas Tech. Everybody assumes Texas Tech is getting out of there easy. But this UNCW team, first tournament appearance in twenty seventeen, they feel felt very very slighted going into their conference tournament. They put on a really big run and they got out of it. They could be somebody that makes some noise. Arkansas is getting Boogie Flann back from injury, so they're gonna be playing full strength against the Kansas team. We got to see what that looks like. Arkansas is a ten seed here, Like there's some teams here that I'm like, all right, we could actually see something going. Because Calipari, he may not be the best ex's and o's coach, but when you give him the talent and how they play defensively all year long, they just got to get hot. At the right team, right time, and that Arkansas team might be able to make a run. So there's a number of teams that I'm looking at that I'm like, hey, things could follow their direction and they could be a ten, eleven, twelve seed. That's making it a little bit further than people thought.
Speaker 1: Let's wrap up with our shoot from the hip gut reaction final four picks. We are obviously we reserve the right to change these betweed now and the start of the tournament. We've kind of sprinkled them in throughout talking about the regions, but just officially our final four picks here, what do you got for us?
Speaker 3: Just go with Florida coming out of the West region. We're gonna take Auburn coming out of the South. We are going to Yeah, I'm not officially giving out the Dukies.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: Give me Alabama getting out of the Eastern region. And then I'm sticking with my Houston pick coming out of the Midwest National title game. Give me Houston versus Florida.
Speaker 1: So here's my problem, my gut reaction to giving my final four picks is Florida, it's Auburn, it's Alabama, and it's Tennessee. I refuse to give four SEC teams. It's not gonna be that in the final four, So I have to shake it up somewhere, which means I'm going the one I feel like I most want to change up from that group is Alabama. So I'm gonna go with Duke, even though I kind of do like Bama. I just can't go for SEC teams. I also just like I hate Duke so much that, like I know it's what's gonna happen, is they're gonna win because I because I don't want them to uh, and they are obviously an insanely good team went healthy if if the lineup is right, like there's a reason they're number one on ken Palm and there's actually like even a gap. We talked about how strong those other three one seeds are historically, there's a gap between Duke and those guys too. Like against ACC, I get it, injury stuff, I get it, but obviously like a super talented team and would would not be surprised. So I'll say Duke against Tennessee, I'll say Tennessee beats to do. I'm gonna say Tennessee makes the title game. Here on my.
Speaker 2: Shoot call Rick Barnes making it all the way.
Speaker 3: So the title game, this is a regular season, regular season.
Speaker 1: It is dangerous. I'll say Florida over Auburn, and then I'll say Florida wins it all again. I just think nobody's playing better than Florida.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I got Florida over Houston in the title game, but I'm gonna have a bed on Houston.
Speaker 2: Man. I think Houston's got some value.
Speaker 3: And if Houston, if we get some upsets here or there and the path opens up, Houston is gonna look way better than whatever set plus seven fifty they are right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna dive into more of some of our betting futures in the coming days. You guys, like I said, you and Paul are gonna break down some of the first round matchups here in the weekend, and we'll be chatting again kind of each week leading up into each weekend for the next three weeks of the tournament. So there is a lot more college basketball talk to come, a lot more March madness to come. Enjoy this week of filling out your brackets everyone, because it is, like I said, super fun to quibble with all of your picks and just you can dream big every single year. It's the hope springs to Turtle for sure. Great talking to you, Terrell, best Eluctive VCU hopefully best luck to Merlin as well. Forterrell, I'm Ryan warmly thanks everybody for tuning in and we'll see again next time. Thanks for listening to the Betting Pros podcast. If you love the show, the best freeway to support us is by leaving a positive review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Follow us on x and TikTok at Betting Pros and Instagram at Betting Pros NFL. Also subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Betting Pros