Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb, and in today's episode, I'm going to be chatting with Tom Lathan, author of the new book Lost Wonders Ten Tales of Extinction from the twenty first Century. It's out June tenth. Without further ado, let's jump right into the interview. Hi Tom, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Hi that Rov, Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: The new book is Lost Wonders, Ten Tales of Extinction from the twenty first Century, publishing June tenth here in the States, came out earlier, what in November in the UK? Right, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: It tackles the sixth mass extinction event that we're all living in by chronicling ten different recently extinct species. You know, we've all read or heard about the I'm going Holo scene extinction. But do you find that people have a difficult time truly grasping what's happening or the scale of what's happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think it is a difficult thing to grasp, you know, even for people who are following this and who care about this. It is kind of crazy, and I think, you know, mainly because of the timescale that it's happening on the reason why I really wanted to write this book, which is actually eleven species. It's ten stories, but eleven species. Two of those species, their story is so so similar, so intertwined. The two birds are mistaken for one another. Even so, it made sense to tell those in one story, as it were in one chapter. But really the thing that unites the entire book is that these are species that have gone extinct in the twenty first century. The reason why I wanted to write about those species in particular, it's because I really wanted to get into the idea that extinction is unfolding all around us, and that when we tip think of extinction, it can be this this far flung thing from the past. You know, virtually everyone's first encounter with the word will be in the context of dinosaurs. You know, I was a dinosaur kid. I was obsessed the Jurassic Park. That was, yeah, we look like we're probably the similar age. So you probably had your Jurassic Park phase, but absolutely either that or the Dodo, and these are these are things from the distant past, and I think that we all make an unconscious association there with the word extinction and the past, but it's it's obviously it's unfolding all around us. And I actually came to the book, came to the idea of writing the book when I learned that one of these species, the Christmas eln in Pipastrell, had actually gone extinct on my twenty third birthday. And when I learned that fact, and I realized that I could remember, you know, what I'd been doing that day, I could remember who I'd been with, you know, I, well, most of most probably can't really remember the evening, but I remember a lot of the day. I could look back through emails and texts, social media and really kind of get a picture of what my world was like on the day that as species went extinct. It was just a kind of mind blowing realization, and it kind of got me thinking about what else had gone extinct, you know, within my lifetime, within the lifetimes of most people who read the book. So that's what really kind of drove me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're kind of making something that's kind of invisible to many visible and real in a way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think it's understandable that you know, we don't necessarily as a species, we don't really necessarily think about extinction that much, I would say, and it can be quite a dour subject, and there's very often you know, we are anthropercentric. We're obsessed with our own stories and our own our own species. So you know, an obscure back going extinct or a tiny snail going extinct somewhere in the world isn't necessarily going to kind of grab everyone's attention. I think it's really important that we know what's going on, and you know, it probably won't surprise anyone to hear that in all of these stories, we're the cause, either in the here and now or we set off the chain of events that have led to these extinctions.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't want to give potential readers the wrong idea, though, because each chapter of your of your book is I guess in a very real sense of tragedy, but there that each chapter is also about like the wonders and improbabilities surrounding these various species. So I definitely want to get into some questions about those wonders and improbabilities as we look at maybe a few examples. But how did you how did you end up finalizing a list for the book? Where did you? I mean, obviously have you had the one in mind that corresponded with your your twenty third birthday, But how about the rest of them? How this come together?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So, really, when I started the project, or actually before I go into that, I think, Carle, echo what you said. I think you're right. You know, extinction. I think sometimes it's one of those issues that people might not want to think about, because, you know, it just God, it's just terrible, isn't it something going extinct, especially something that's millions of years old. It's kind of mind boggling. But one thing, and actually when I when I went into writing the book, it was it was a doubt I had, like, God, is this is anyone going to want to read this? This is just going to be so depressing. But as I actually got into the research, and a big part of that research was actually talking to the people who were there on the ground. In some cases they may they discovered these species. In other cases they'd taken care of the last individual of a species and kind of dealt with the aftermath of extinction. I actually really found a lot of grounds for hope in that because it's really inspiring the lengths that people go to in conservation. It's a field that is absolutely jam packed with unsung heroes, people that go above and beyond the call of duty every single day, who have their who have their job, and there are just little things that they do just completely off their own initiative, just because they know they can make a difference. And there are even stories of species being saved by people who who aren't scientists, who are hobbyists. There's an example in the book of a species of pupfish, which is a tiny little fish from the American West, and also also in Mexico. There are species spread across the arid areas. And one particular one of the people that I spoke to was actually a bus driver from New Jersey who is a hobbyist. He just loves fish, you know, since he was a kid, and he's actually become involved in the efforts to save endangered species. He's when I spoke to him, he had a critically endangered species just behind him in his fish tank, and it's you know, obviously there's there's no financial incentive for him, and I just think that the more that you learn about these stories Yes, the subjects of this book have gone extinct, but the people who tried to save them have had other successes. They've used the knowledge that they gained from trying to save these species, which very often is uncharted territory. Some of these extinctions happened because the scientists simply didn't know how do we help this species. But from these experiences, they've learned what they need to do to save other species, and they've had success. And I just find that really inspiring. But sorry to go on to your question. Could you remind me again of what you are?
Speaker 2: Oh? I asked just how you ended up coming up with a list?
Speaker 3: Yes, So, I as a journalist. I've been writing about nature for a few years and it came out of quite an organic conversation with my partner, who's also a writer, and I just had this thought. I just wondered, you know, what's I wonder what's gone extinct? You know, in the last you know, in my lifetime essentially. So I contacted the ice UCN, which is the International Union for the Conservation of Nature, which is the global body that essentially oversees the conservation status of everything. So they're the they're the people essentially who give the final word and whether something is endangered, critically endangered, extinct, extinct in the world, and so on, And I just I just asked them, you know, for a list of recent extinctions, and they sent me back this enormous, sprawling spreadsheet full of hundreds. I think it was up with the five hundred extinctions. But thankfully that that spreadsheet included a by date of extinction column, so I filtered by that, and these eleven species are what kind of came out of that, and I really kind of really that's when it really kind of struck me. In fact, that's the moment where I saw the the extinction date of the pipistre being my birthday and made that connection and had that realization.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to I'm want to ask about one that I have to acknowledge that on the surface, this one might not seem that exciting. And when I was reading your book, that was my initial response. I was kind of like, well this, I don't know how enthralled I'm going to be by this one. But it ended up being I think my one of my favorite chapters, and this is the chapter dealing with the Saint Helena Olive can you tell us a little bit about the island of Saint Helena and the Saint Helena Olive. I was not I was vaguely familiar with the island from its prominence in history, but I was not familiar with this organism at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is also one of my favorites. Before I go into that, I think it's interesting. I was thinking about this this morning. Actually, I think we're all kind of conditioned to see wildlife in a certain way. You know, if I don't know if you guys have I'm presuming you guys have David Attenborough documentaries. Oh yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, National Hero, so that you know. I was raised on his documentaries, and I think, as wonderful as they are, they do condition you see the natural world in a certain way. The focus is very much on charismatic species or species that have some kind of quirk or fascinating behavior, and I think that we tend to kind of unconsciously and buy a sort of value system by which we judge species on that basis. But actually, what I found one of the really exciting things about writing a book like this is that you know the decision of what goes in this book It wasn't like I just picked eleven species that fascinated me. It was decided for me. And what that meant was I had to really kind of approach species that, like you, I wouldn't necessarily think, Oh, is this tree going to be interesting? Is this snail going to kind of interest me personally? And I had to find other ways of looking at them and find the fascination and wonder in these species and that tree. The Saint Lena olive is a particularly fascinating species because it lived only on a single island in the middle of the South Atlantic Ocean. And this island, Saint Helena, is extraordinarily. It's nearly two thousand kilometers west of Africa, slap bang in the middle of the South Atlantic and when the it's so remote that when the International Space Station is circling overhead, the astronauts on board are actually the closest neighbors to the residents on Saint Helena.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: And remote islands are a very exciting place for biologists because due to their isolation, species that end up making it to those islands end up evolving in fascinating ways, and you end up with these extraordinary ecosystems, and Saint Nna is one of those examples. You know, there are a few species that are capable of making that leap, you know, crossing thousands of miles of ocean to reach this tiny island, volcanic island. And what you end up with in a place like that are things like trees that have evolved from daisies, you end up with with with earwigs, you end up with fluorescent wood lice, a real bizarre kind of hodgepodge. There was a biologist that I spoke to about the ecosystem who said he described it as imagine if you just gave evolution another chance, you just reset evolution on an island and allowed it to kind of take a different course. This is the kind of thing you would end up with, just this kind of alien ecosystem. So, the Saint Lena olive is a species of hardwood tree, and this family of tree species, they all originate in Southern Africa, and they've made these extraordinary journeys and radiated out Southern Africa and ended up in islands in the Indian Ocean. And one of the places they ended up was on Saint Helena, and it was a mystery that really confounded scientists, because to get to somewhere like Saint Helena, if you're a tree, your seeds need to have a way to navigate thousands of miles of ocean, and there are potential ways they could do that. They might some seed pods can float, so they would float there. The Saint Helena olive seed pods didn't float. In fact, they were sterilized by saltwater and other ways seas might be carried by the wind. They wouldn't do that. They were quite large capsules. And the other way that seeds can disperse is by growing a fruit and being eaten by birds, same thing that olive couldn't do any of those things. So the biologists, some of whom I spoke to you for the book, they eventually deduced that the way this species had to have ended up on this remote island was by a bizarre chain of coincidences, wherein an albatross or a similar seafaring bird must have landed somewhere in southern Africa and picked up a seed in its feathers or maybe in some mud coating its foot, and then that albatross would have ranged out over the ocean and eventually ended up at Saint Helena, and just by chance, this seed had dropped dropped from the feathers of this albatross, found its way into the soil and the story of that species on the island began, which is extraordinary. It's twelve million years old, and it's so genetically unique that a genus had to be created for the species. So the genus is the classification that sits above species. And when you look away from the charismatic species and species that are more often kind of celebrated and featured in nature documentaries, you have to kind of look at species in a different way, and I think you find incredible stories when you start to look at the natural world in a different way and you can find that they're everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a I just love this idea that it's almost like this plant was not supposed to be there. It's just such an incredible string of events that we can kind of speculate on that that landed it there. And I love the quote that you share about how rare events happen over geological time. So, yeah, it's unlikely, but given enough time, things like this do occur. In this is the result.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, what are the chances. I mean, you know, it's already just a seed being swept up in the feathers of an albatross is already you know, it seems quite an unlikely scenario. But then for it to have dropped out just at the right place, it's kind of insane. And that quote that you just mentioned, that was Mike Fay, who was a geneticist from Q Gardens in the UK, and Q Gardens did a lot of work to try and conserve this species. He is, he was, he was actually he led the attempt to propagate the species in the end. But yeah, that was an incredible insight from him, you know, he said, he said to me that, you know, there were twelve million years for this to happen, and it only had to happen once.
Speaker 2: But of course another organism eventually came to the island, and that would be us. This one was sheltered for quite a while, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's one of the it's a double edged sword. You know, Isolation creates a fascinating breeding ground for evolution, for interesting species to evolve and adapt. But by the same token, when you have a species like humans in the book I talk about how Saint Helena was almost like a castle. It was fortified against the outside world. You know, there were so few organisms who could actually make that trip that the sea kind of acted almost as a moat. And the arrival of humans in fifteen oh six was essentially like lowering the drawbridge. Enabled things like goats, cats, all kinds of invasive species of plant. Rats are obviously a huge problem pretty much everywhere they're introduced, and that's what happened on Saint Helena, and it was an island that in history are it was discovered, it was compared by many to Eden. It was this verdant spot in the middle of the ocean that was really kind of life sustaining for sailors who at that point in time had to journey all the way around Africa, around the bottom of Africa in order to access Asia and India. So it was a really big problem, you know, fighting off things like scurvy, restocking with water, and Saint Helena was just this kind of oasis in the middle of the ocean. But you know, a few years later it was decimated.
Speaker 2: In what led did this decimation, So, I mean.
Speaker 3: One thing was the introduction of invasive species. Another thing was habitat destruction. So once the island was settled by the English East India Company, homes had to be built. Enslaved people were brought to the island in order to create some kind of economic purpose for the island. That's how it was viewed as the English East India comp at the time described places like Saint Helina as factories. That was their ambition for this place. So everything there was a resource in order to pursue that aim, and so massive deforestation things like goats were a particular problem, eating native vegetation, and once you lose that vegetation, you then get soil erosion, and there are these crazy reports of the soil erosion being so bad that the sea turned black around the island. And once you get into that state, there's very few things that then can then kind of grow back and get a foothold in the soil which has essentially been completely transformed. And in Saint Helena, all of these threats kind of conspired and the landscape was transformed and native species shrank further and further back to the center of the island, which is where the last Saint Helena olive was found in the nineteen seventies and.
Speaker 2: You read about that. Now we just an empty pot, right, it's labeled as Saint Helena.
Speaker 3: Yes, So in Q Garden's Temperate House, which is this fantastic, incredible, decadent Victorian glasshouse in London and Q there is you know, species from all over the world there, and then in one corner there's just this empty terracotta pot, which is an extraordinary kind of symbol of what could have been.
Speaker 2: Now, you mentioned goats and the destructive powers of goats when they're introduced to places like this, they factor into at least one of the other extinction stories that you share, and that is the Pinta Island tortoise of the Galapagos Islands. This is another far flong island dwelling species, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so a lot of these species were island dwelling species. For the reasons we discussed the Pinter Island tortoise. It's yeah. The goats that came to Pinter Island were introduced by fishermen and there were three of them deposited in the nineteen fifties and that population swelled to two thousands. In fact, you know, I actually don't off the top of my head. I can't remember the exact number, but basically, you know, the goats were far more efficient. If you imagine a tortoise versus a goat in terms of grazing and things like that, the torses really were no match. You know. The Galapagos, because of its isolation, is a place that you know, there were never things like goats there. There were never those kind of specially adapted herbivores. And it's a problem not just for tortoises, but also the vegetation that tortoises feed on, because if you don't have herbivores, plants don't learn to adapt to repel herbivores. So things like thorns, certain kinds of chemical compounds, that all kinds of adaptation that might make native vegetation resilient to goat. It just it doesn't have that vegetation doesn't have time to adapt when you suddenly release something like a goat on the island.
Speaker 2: Now, with the Galapagos tortoises in general, I feel like these are some amazing creatures that we can They are often featured in documentaries, the sort of Attenborough documentaries that we've been discussing in the sort of documentaries that very much were inspired by that kind of content, which is great, but we can almost kind of grow numb to them. I don't know if you've found this to be the case as well. Like we see the Galapagos tortoises, maybe if we're lucky we get to see one in the zoo, or if not, a Galapago's tortoise and maybe an aldabra tortoise that is in some way similar. But when you really observe them like they are just so fabulously weird and wonderful, right they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's key. I mean, I think appreciating nature is it's always about looking a little closer because I think think you're right with something like a giant tortoise. You know, we've we've seen that, We've all seen that many times. We kind of I think we think we always think we understand the things we've seen many times, so you know, our brain knows how to categorize that so we can kind of just move on. But you know, like any species, they are really fascinating there. In the case of the giant tortises of Glapagos, I mean, what fascinated me the most was how they got there, you know, which similar to the same thing, not olive. It is another incredible dispersal story. So something like a tortoise, something that large and cumbersome and slow traversing an ocean, is just as unbelievable as a you know, tiny seed. What they've discovered is that the tortoises or their ancestors must have been washed out to see from South America, which is where their most recent ancestor lived, and the tortoises would have had to have survived for god knows how long, just on the ocean with no food. And when this theory was first kind of discussed in the early twentieth century, it was actually put to the test. And so, you know, researchers would would take capture giant tortoises, take them into the ocean, and just drop them into the sea. And what they would see is that the tortoises were quite good at swimming, They could float quite easily, they could keep their heads above water, and gradually, through genetic analysis, scientists were able to map how the dispersal had taken place, first from South America to one Galapagos island and then later to another. So there's just this when you kind of accelerate time and think of it like a time lapse. There's just this series of odyssees going from island to island from the continent, and these tortoises arriving on new islands, establishing species, growing slightly differently into the different species of Galapagos trying torsis. It's incredible, but it's it's it's kind of a less obvious thing. I think it's easy to just be distracted by the size of these creatures and for that to be what we associate with them. But then when you learn about their journeys, it's really it's fascinating on a different level.
Speaker 2: Now, the story of the Pinta Island Glabgirl's tortoise is also interesting in that it is also a story of rediscovery. Could you tell us a little bit about this Some folks may have probably heard parts of this tale before. Tell us about Lonesome George.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so in nineteen seventy two, well, loans from George. A lot of people will be familiar with that name because, you know, he was he was a celebrity animal. You know, he was he was world famous. He had hundreds of thousands of people, you know, coming to the Galapagos visiting him in his enclosure. His species, the Pinter tortoise, which is the species I write about in Lost Wonders, was believed to be extinct from the beginning of the twentieth centuries. I think it was nineteen oh six the California Academy of Sciences went to Pinter Island and collected what was ended up being the last known female of the species, and so for seventy odd years, you know, that was thought to be the end of that species, until one day a Hungarian American malacologist and his wife were on holiday. They were on Pinter Island looking at snails, and suddenly they looked up and saw this giant tortoise. And they didn't know what they'd seen at the time, but later when they spoke two other people who were working in the archipelago, it soon became clear that this was the Pinter Island tortoise. You know, this is a species that everyone had thought disappeared, and that ended up that precipitated a search, and eventually they found and captured George and took him to a captive breeding center, hoping that they would be able to save this species by finding a female, and he ended up staying there for four decades and eventually died in twenty twelve. After many many searches, there were no females found. Attempts to have him mate with females of closely related species but to no avail. But the fascinating thing about this story, I mean, there's so many twists and turns, but the biologists. I spoke to one of the biologists I spoke to for this about this species, James Gibbs, he told me this fascinating story that he and some of his colleagues at the Galapagos Conservancy. They a few years ago they went on a trip to a remote island and they discovered that there were hundreds of Galapagos trying torses of different species living on the side of this volcano on this incredibly remote island. And eventually they kind of worked out why this had happened. And their theory is that whalers who used to use the Galapagos Islands as basically a meat lader. So whalers out in the Pacific they would come to the Galapagos capture tortoises because you know, they were a good food source. You could keep alive on a boat for weeks, and there were a big part for the decimation of those species. But it's thought that they used to gather at this spot on the side of this remote island, and at some point they must have thrown over overboard some tortoises, or they may have escaped, but you ended up with this isolated population of these different species, and somewhere in there must have been Pinterer Island tortoises, or at least one, because James Gibbs and his colleagues found a few years ago a hybrid tortoise whose mother or father must have been a Pinter Island tortoise, which is a fascinating prospect. They haven't found the parent, but it suggests that that there is or re simply was, you know, a living Pinter Island tortoise. So this is after George's death, after the species had yet again been decloit extinct, and it's still a possibility. So that's a really interesting, interesting story, and you know, there is some small hope there. That same expedition did find another tortoise that was actually an individual from a species that was also believed extinct, so they reversed another giant tortoise extinction.
Speaker 2: There now, how rare are rediscoveries of previously believed extinct species.
Speaker 3: I can't give you any figures off the top of my head, but it happens more often than you think, you know there are known kind of it depends on the species. I mean, some species are fairly easy to monitor. Other species, you know, maybe due to their size, due to where they live, are you know, close to impossible. It really does depend But I think sometimes you know one of the reasons why, there's a little bit of a disconnect between what biologists will say about the species they study in terms of their conservation status and what the IUCN will say. So sometimes scientists will come out and say, this species, we believe it's extinct, We've done this extensive search for it, and we can't find it. No one's seen it for a decade. But the IUCN will kind of hold fire because there is always that possibility that someone will find a remote population or that this species is especially discrete. So there's very often a kind of like that, a lagging effect where species aren't actually declared extinct until we can kind of know with certitude. But it does happen. Yeah, species are rediscovered.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm not going to ask you about every organism that you govern in the book, obviously, but that I do want to ask you about one more location and associated organisms, and that would be the two organisms that you profile from Christmas Eyeland. This is a place that I think some of our listeners definitely remember from either episodes they might have listened to or shows they might have watched about the Christmas Island crabs. But your selecting ser of course night crabs remind us a bit about Christmas Island and what makes its ecosystem so special.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So Christmas Island is another one of those isolated islands on which endemic species just really thrive. But it isn't geographically strictly geographically isolated so much as the ocean that surrounds it is incredibly deep, so in some places it's five kilometers deep. You can fit Mount Kilimanjaro in there. It's also surrounded by strong ocean currents, and the place where it sits in the world is quite fascinating. It's it sits on what's called the Wallace line, which is the border between two biogeographical realms and a biogary graphical realm is basically it's the border between two places where radically different species and organisms will live. So the Wallace Line separates to its west you've got Southeast Asia, You've got things like monkeys, all sorts of species that live there. And to its east you've got Australia and you've got you know, the incredible mussupials and things like that. And it's separated by this invisible divide, invisible to us anyway. And so Christmas Island is a hodgepodge of those two biogeographical realms. And the two species that I wrote about in Lost Wonders from Christmas Island they're an example of that because one of them is from the east of the line and one of them is from the west. But Christmas Island itself, another reason why it's such a fascinating place is that it wasn't settled for a long time. You know, it's quite unique. It was sighted, it was cited on maps, it was cited by navigators, but no one really thought there was much point in taking ownership of Christmas Island. It was a rock covered in rainforest in the Indian Ocean. It was surrounded by impenetrable cliffs, very few places to land, so no one really bothered until the end of the nineteenth century when phosphorus was discovered, sorry, phosphatic rock was discovered on the ocean floor, and it was determined that Christmas Island would be a source of phosphatic rock used to make fertilizer, which was obviously a huge economic incentive to settle there and colonize it, which is what happened. And as usual, that brought with it a raft of invasive species habitat destruction, which really kind of had the effect you would expect. The two species that I write about, one of which is the one of which is the prune sized bat, the Christmas Island pipistrell that went extinct on my birthday. That was, by all accounts, are very cute little organism. It had a tiny quiff, It was the size of a prune, so it could fit comfortably in your hand. And the forest skink was a metallic brown skink that was extremely common. Both these species were extremely common. You know, researchers described, you know, seeing as many as eighty if the forest skink basking in the sun on a single log, so it really was everywhere, and the pipistrell similarly, I think the first the first population count estimated between five and ten thousand on quite a small island, and it was so common that you would islanders would find them fluttering around inside their homes, you know, hunting insects. There were accounts of them tumbling into people's people's dinner, you know, beating soup and suddenly a back crush lands in your suit bowl. So they really were everywhere, and then in the late eighties suddenly people noticed that they were starting to disappear. And essentially what happened is these species disappeared in the east to west patterns, so from the east of the islands of the west, they gradually faded out. And at the same time it was it was realized that a particularly dangerous and invasive species of snake, the wolf snake, had been introduced, which is believed to be the primary cause of both extinctions by the majority of scientists. There were other things like giants, centerpedes, cats, rats, yellow crazy ants, which are another you know, they're their own fascinating phenomenon, but really it's the introduction of the wolf snake, and you see this correlations fascinating correlation with the retreat of these two species in the advance of this invasive species.
Speaker 2: The wolf snake. That this was an accidental introduction to the island or was this one of these cases where an organism was introduced to attempt to solve a particular problem or anything.
Speaker 3: No, this was an accident and there was a bit of a problem on Christmas Island. The biosecurity was not there from what I've heard. But this is a snake or or a few, and I don't know how many it would have been, but it could have been one, or it could have been several that basically snuckerboard a cargo ship. And this happens a lot. You know, now that we've kind of connected the isolated parts of the world, we've we've sort of created a transport network for invasive species, and that's why biosecurity is so important. But sometimes it's not followed or it's lacking, and on Christmas Island it Yeah, there were there were species that were introduced in this manner, and the wolf snake is one of them. But it was it's a specialized skin hunter, but it's it's partial to bats and things like that. But it, but it's decimated this species with frightening ferocity. There are three species in this book that lived in Australian territories. So there were these two from Christmas Island, and there was another species called the bramble came melmus, which was a species of rodent that lived on a sand k in the Torres Strait, which is which is just north of Australia, but it's an Australian territory. And all three of these species really suffered from governmental neglect. There were opportunities to save them that weren't taken.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: The people that I spoke to who worked with all three of these species, they in the case of the Christmas Island species, they'd warned the authorities this species is going extinct. The skink is a really horrifying example of that because David James, who was wonderful ecologist who worked on the island and was essentially in charge of monitoring basically everything that lived there. You know, he raised the alarm about this species in two thousand and five and was ignored. You know, he recommended it be categorized as threatened in Australia's equivalent of the endangered species List, but he wasn't listened to, and it was only classified as threatened four months before the extinction of the species in twenty fourteen. The reason why I think it's important to mention that is what's happening right now in America with the attempts to water down the Endangered Species Act, the the unleashing potentially of the God Squad, I think is the name the small body of people who are given the unique power to override environmental protections even if it causes an extinction. I think, you know, in the best of circumstances, you know, politicians are neglect full of environmental issues, but the situation in America now is just apocalyptic. Sorry to get sorry to get depressing, but actually there was something, if you don't mind, there was I got in touch with someone, one of the scientists I spoke to for this book because I knew I was coming on here and I wanted to ask him, you know, if he had any thoughts and feelings about the current state of things. You know, and I think it's quite important. So I don't know if you'd mind if I read it out. I was quite sure.
Speaker 2: Oh, by all means.
Speaker 3: So here's what he said, this is Chris Martin, who is an evolutionary biologist who specializes in pupfish. He works at UC Berkeley, and this is what he had to say about this. This government is attempting to strip habitat protections provided by the Endangered Species Act, among many other threats and cuts to the federal agencies that protect and can serve our biodiversity, national parks, and natural spaces. The Endangered Species Act was signed by Nixon with strong bipartisan support and has inspired the world with its successes in bringing back so many species from the brink of extinction, including the old Eagle condor and even the Devil's Whole pupfish, which was recently rescued from a catastrophic decline this winter only through a decade long efforts of the US Fish and Wildlife Service to establish a refuge population. We must fight to protect everyone in our country and all the unique species that have made the United States their home for millennia. He also mentioned to me, obviously, you know there's a broader context where scientific institutions and universities are being stripped of funding and there are layoffs, and it sounds horrendous. As an outsider. It sounds, you know, absolutely it's a doomsday scenario. But I think it's really important that we kind of learn and we understand what happens when when people stop caring, you know, when governments turn a blind eye, or when you know, in the case of the current administration, when they seem to be actively advocating by diversity loss and things like that. I think Chris is right. I think now is the time to fight in whichever way anyone can. I'm probably preaching to the choir here. I don't know what your listener base is like, but hearing all of this from Chris, it really kind of made me sort of realize that the bypasss and history of the Endangered Species Act and how you know, I'd heard that from you know. Researching this book, I've spoken to people who, you know, occupied all kinds of positions across the political spectrum, but they did believe in the importance of conserving species and your podcast being a science podcast. I think, I think, regardless of anyone's political affiliations, one thing I think we can all realize is that the administration at the moment is profoundly unscientific, and regardless of how you feel about any other kind of policies. You know, it's just insanity, absolutely.
Speaker 2: I mean this is you know, not the first guest this year or too to bring some version of this issue up. And yeah, in the past there has been bipartisan support to a large degree to help maintain biodiversity. I don't think it's something that needs to be a politicized topic. And yet here we are. So that's right, you're sharing these starts.
Speaker 3: But I do want to add as well, just to add a little note of hope, because I know, you know, this must be such a demoralizing situation for many Americans to be in. One of the people I spoke to you for this book was a fantastic ornithologist, a bird ecologist from Brazil, and he talked to me about what it was like working under the bolscenario regime, so, you know, they had a right wing government. I think it was around the same time as the Trump first Trump term, which was actively pursuing the destruction of the Amazon rainforest. And he told me, you know, essentially what happened in that time was organizations and conservationists to learn to turn away from the federal government where they could you know, things became a lot more localized. You know, local administrations and local organizations would kind of ban together and try and solve the problems together, knowing they couldn't they couldn't rely on their government. And you know, I know that conservation is as I said earlier, it's full of unstung heroes. It's full of everyday heroism. So I really do think that people across the country will be doing their best to kind of to save what they can, and I think they need our support. So I'd encourage anyone who who cares about this or feels depressed or demoralized by it to try and get involved however you can. So there are very often ways that you can volunteer and you can help, even small ways. It's more important than ever now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Well, we recently talked with Mark Undinko, who runs the Amphibian Foundation here in Atlanta, and that was one of the things he brought up is in the past they've had to they have leaned on the federal agencies for helping some of their research, and a lot of that has been going away. And this is just one example, you know, a local example for us of an organization where people people can now turn and try to help support their work if they can't depend on funding assistance from governmental agencies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's important to preserve hope. And I think the situation is incredibly demoralizing, But there are people who are working. There are people to do the right who are trying to do the right thing, and I think, you know where if we can support them where we can, I think that's a really good thing.
Speaker 2: Well, Tom, thanks for coming on the show to chat with me. The book again is Lost Wonders ten Tales of Extinction from the twenty first century.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks so much for having me Rob. It's it's been a real pleasure, and thank you all for listening.
Speaker 2: Thanks once more to Tom for taking time out of his day to chat with me. Just a reminder that Stuff to Blow your Mind is primarily as Signed and culture podcasts with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays and on Fridays. We set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. Thanks as always to the excellent JJ Possway for producing the show. And if you would like to reach out with any questions, comments or suggestions, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow Your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to your favorite shows.