Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. Is Thursday, June sixth, and the Ravens wrapped up another session of organized team activities. After practice, we had a chance to hear from head coach John Harbaugh.
Speaker 2: DJ Thompson can't see Chiefs defensive lineman. We want to say that our prayers are with them. I think he had an issue and health issue today over there with the Chiefs at their practice. So we just wanted to tell, you know, to tell the world that the Ravens are thinking of him and his family were praying for his health.
Speaker 3: The other thing we mentioned to the guys.
Speaker 2: Is D Day, eighty year anniversary of Normandy, the invasion of Normandy to begin the year long domination of the American Armed Forces to win World War Two.
Speaker 3: Very proud of that and to all.
Speaker 2: The military families all over the world sacrifices they make for us, and specifically to the families of those who participated in World War Two. Couldn't be more grateful. Never take we never take that for granted. Okay, what question do you have?
Speaker 4: Kind of I think it's some reps with that you kick off for the Aligned anybody think, uh, is it still kind of what you're going.
Speaker 5: Do you think it's going to be successful with how they have designed it and.
Speaker 2: So far in Uh yeah, I mean I think it's gonna be an interesting play, a fun play. You know, it's it's it's you can kind of look at it philosophically any way you want.
Speaker 3: You know, there's things that takes away.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't have a you don't have a line of scrimmage anymore or whatever, but you don't have an on side kick surprise anymore. But it does add things to the game, and the main thing it adds to positive I mean, I'm I thought there was other options and just be clear about that, but I was for doing something and this is this is something and basically at this point we're committed to it. So you know, we see that, we see the good of it, the excitement in it.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a lot.
Speaker 2: More returns out there, and we're just trying to figure out how to be successful with the play, both covering the kick and returning the kick. So we're we're looking at it from every end that we possibly can and hopefully that hopefully we'll be good at it next year.
Speaker 6: John, there's some talk of teams not using their their primary kicker to do kickoffs and when view the system, is that something that you've thought about at all or do you expect us?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I would say we've thought about everything.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: It's it's just a matter of do you have a guy that can kick it in there consistently? And and uh, if you do, probably is an advantage because you get an extra tackleer in there and you'll put your kicker at risks. So I'd say we're looking at every aspect we can think of.
Speaker 8: John as a head coach, former special teams coach. When this rule is implemented, do you immediately like how do you think about it initially? Like do you go to, oh man, they're just changing everything, you know, it's a whole, entirely new rule. Or are you excited about the challenge as a coach of beating the other teams as far as schematically and kind of new stuff you can implement.
Speaker 3: The ladder for sure?
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's it's uh, you just get right to work on how we gonna teach it, how do we want to coach it. We couldn't wait to get out here and get out here even in this type of practice and run plays and see what the angles look like, and so we can kind of we can kind of clean our coaching points. What do we want to tell the guys, And we told the guys this is a collaboration.
Speaker 3: We're learning this together.
Speaker 2: You know, where do we want to drop, what's our targets, what's our landmarks are, what's our leverages in the kickoff? What are angles? Tell us what you think when you're out there. So we're trying to make sure we do the best we can to ender the season understanding the play as well as we can, and then I'm sure we'll learn a lot once it starts happening for real.
Speaker 5: What have you kind of learned in the process.
Speaker 9: Obviously, I know you're not going to hit munching the strategy here now, but if you can make.
Speaker 5: Sure the examples.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we've learned about the spacing and the time in the angles a little bit.
Speaker 3: We think we have.
Speaker 2: I don't think you really know until you play real games preseason practice to once we get in pads, we'll be able to practice at almost full speed, so that'll help.
Speaker 7: Also, we've seen devantees Walker and TG Tampa mashed up a number of times.
Speaker 5: What are you seeing out of the foot discuss?
Speaker 2: I think they're both TJ and UH and Tez are both doing a great job of of taking one step at a time and getting better every single day. You know, it's not it's not competitive in the sense. You know, if there's a deep ball thrown down the field, you know the DB's not trying to take the ball away. So you got to understand that. So we expect those catches to be made, but we want made, you know, and we want.
Speaker 3: To dB right there in position with his eyes on the football.
Speaker 2: I think both those guys have gotten better every day with technique and assignment, probably all the rookies ahead of where we would have expected in those two areas.
Speaker 10: Pretty dominant. Unsure any effects jury you're encouraging is that.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen any effects from that. He looks good.
Speaker 2: Uh, he looks He looked better this week than last week even and I came back in great shape. So exciting to see him out there.
Speaker 11: A couple of bets of the olon, both Morgan and John. What do you see him from this current group that's really impressed so far?
Speaker 2: I've seen a lot of big guys that can move, you know, and uh and work hard, pick things up quickly. Is the nice thing is is nobody is the there's nobody's going out here and say I don't think he's gonna be able to do it. I mean, so far, every single guy looks like he could be the starter. So now we get into pads, we get into preseason games. Let the guys compete against one another and see who wins the jobs. But all of them are still in contention at this point, which is very good.
Speaker 6: John, What is the best thing that a rookie offensive lineman can do to get your attention in a positive way during ye.
Speaker 2: Well, he should know what he's doing. You know, if the play goes to the right, we don't want him going left. You know, we don't want to see two guards clunking heads, both of them pull in opposite directions. I think those are the That's where it starts is you should be able to pick up your assignments, and then you want to see a good a good foundation, footwork, hands, those kind of things. See him in the weight room working hard and getting stronger. That's really as much.
Speaker 3: As you can do. We're just teaching him right now. You know they're learning right now.
Speaker 12: Sorry.
Speaker 5: We've seen Devin Larry pick some great throads. You've also seen some picks do the interceptions that really bother you because you kind of want guys on a fraid to any figure thing about at this level compared to the college An.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think you're gonna there's gonna be times out there. Hopefully our defense is creating some tough situations for a quarterback, you know, and I hope our defense puts the quarterbacks in the toughest situations we'll see all year.
Speaker 3: That'd be the goal.
Speaker 2: So you want to see some of that out there and just see the guys grow through it and get better.
Speaker 7: John's good.
Speaker 13: You've got out wanted from the os Gays as you competitive, and you can.
Speaker 3: As much as you can.
Speaker 2: We have another day, so I'm really not I'm not really counting anything yet till tomorrow. You know, no assessments as much as you kind of look at the next day and you say, we want to be intentional about what we want to accomplish today. You know, like every coach, what's your main thing you want to see? Make sure the players understand it, make sure every player has an intentionality about what they want to go out there and accomplish. I think if we all do that collectively, we're gonna look back and say we've you know, we're as far along as we can be.
Speaker 3: And that's really kind of how we measure it.
Speaker 4: John with Justin, as we know it be so accurate and so attention to detailed a lot of things. How important do you think that will be as far as the new kickoff fool and where I mean? I guess Hank Kong really doesn't mean anything anymore. It's more about placement.
Speaker 2: When you would you say, yeah, you know, I'm not ready to make any pronouncements like that, you know, I think I think having a kicker that can put the ball in spots with various types of hangtimes will be in advantage. And Justin definitely is a guy that can do that. But I don't know if hanktime' is gonna not matter or not. You know, We're just gonna have to see how how it all plays out. That way, we have a lot to learn about the play.
Speaker 14: When Mentory Mini Camps starts next week, do you expect Moreland to.
Speaker 5: Be full go see, completely healthy and ready to practice.
Speaker 2: I expect them to be ready to practice next week. Yeah, we'll see, you know how, whether it's full go or not, or whether we choose to put them out there full go, I don't know yet.
Speaker 3: It's a good question.
Speaker 5: Any other guys, we shouldn't expect to see how any camps.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 2: I just didn't bring my list out, you know, darn it, forgot my list. They're guys, the guys that are out that you know are out, you know you definitely won't see we might see a Disa back, for instance. I'm hopeful we might see bow back hopefully next week. Off the top of my head. Guys like that a job, you know, a job will start getting individual today, right, David did that was really good to see.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of working through it.
Speaker 13: Your thoughts on my brother's tattoo and what would it take you to get the tattoo on the way he did it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm not afraid of get in the tattoo, you know. I want to make it clear.
Speaker 2: And if we win a Super Bowl, I probably could be talked into something, but it's probably gonna have it's gonna have an eye in an a And I can tell you. Any tattoo I have is gonna start with Ingrid Nelison family first.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm pretty sure Jim probably got that dictate too if I look that tattoo closely. But there's something in there that says Sarah on it. But you know, I did read an article recently. You see it where they say tattoos or it's a health thing, health risk.
Speaker 3: Anybody see that article? No, you got tattoo? You might want to check that article. I saw that. No, We're good, all right. Thanks seeing.
Speaker 1: We also heard from the Goat kicker Justin Tucker. He discussed some of the rule changes in the NFL that went to place over the course of this offseason, and also his thoughts going into this upcoming season.
Speaker 12: Hey guys, how are you all doing? Good to see you? See you all right? Fire and ready?
Speaker 4: So what was you when you kind of learned about it and kind the changes to it?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 15: I think initial reaction was you've got to be positive about it and think about it in terms of, uh, this is going to keep the play in the game, and this is not just going to keep the playing the game, It's going to make it much more exciting. I think there's going to be a lot more action as far as UH kicks that will be returned. You know, in the last several years, the trend has been for UH most teams to send the ball into the end zone, UH give up the twenty five yard line, U and the play was essentially not happening as it was designed to happen. But now but in all likelihood, we're gonna see a lot more returns and it'll give a lot more guy's opportunity to you know, take that play and make it a big play.
Speaker 12: So I'm looking forward to it. It's gonna be really exciting.
Speaker 7: So many years in the lead with this kind of big rule change is they're kind of exciting to get back into the lab and get creative with what.
Speaker 5: You can do.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 15: You know, just like a pitcher tries to develop his stuff. I'm doing the same thing out here, trying to figure out whichever way we can, in our minds, gain an advantage, gain an edge, you know, and whether that means you know, putting the ball in different spots, making it challenging for a returner to you know, scoop up the ball easily. You know, all of those things we're looking at right now. You know, granted, we are kind of in the fledgling stages of what we're trying to you know, accomplish here, what we're trying to figure out. So you know, like you said, we are in the lab, and you know, more more recently, my lab has actually been the weight room. This might be really surprising to uh a lot of a lot of you guys and a lot of my teammates because I don't spend to hang out in the weight room too frequently. But after watching a lot of these uh xfl plays over the last couple of years, the kicker seems to be like involved in like like twenty five percent of the tackles. So, I mean, like I've been, I've mixed it up a couple of times, you know, I've gotten in there, you know, But now I gotta you know, get some more shrugs, get the traps going a little bit, you know, just to make sure I'm prepared to uh uh you know, prepared for a little bit more contact. But in uh, in all seriousness, it will be a lot of fun to uh, you know, see what we come up with, and then see what other teams come up with, and then uh, you know see how we can gain an advantage on the player.
Speaker 4: Are do you plan to because of that? The you know, it sounds like the kickers are gonna be involved little bit more. Yeah, I mean do you will you add more muscle because of that?
Speaker 15: I have put on like three point eight pounds, So can you guys tell Probably not?
Speaker 12: But uh yeah, I'll leave it at that, I asked John.
Speaker 6: I mean there has been talked to that some teams may not use their their kicker to do the kick. Ill, do you want to be out there? Do you want to be the guy doing it?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 12: Hell yeah, I want to be out there.
Speaker 15: I mean, like any chance I get to be on the field, I'm living out my childhood dream, you know. So, uh, wherever, whenever, wherever that is, I'm going to make sure I'm ready to go and put the best product on the field that I possibly can. You know, at the same time, and in fairness to you know, the idea that you know, a safety or a linebacker or somebody that has you know, a little bit more practice, a little bit more training as a as a.
Speaker 12: Coverage athlete, as a tackler.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think it's totally fair to you know, turn over every stone and see what you got. I mean, who knows there's there might be a hidden gem in our locker rooms. And guy that can you know, pinpoint drop the ball, you know, off the tee, you know, on the five yard line at the red fade line, just dropping on a dime and then just go down there and smoke the ball carrier. So I'd like to I'd like to think I would be that guy. But you know, just like any and all positions out here, evaluations are comprehensive and ongoing. So I'm just gonna do everything I can to make sure I have every kick available and everything else that I need to have available, every every other way that I.
Speaker 12: Need to be prepared. I'm gonna make sure that I do that for the you know, for this team.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine what.
Speaker 10: You making tacklest value horse a kicker. They talked me about that because you're getting injured.
Speaker 15: I think it probably would make the most sense that you don't want any of your specialists getting hurt throughout the course of a game. But this is this is still football in the National Football League, you know, so you know it is what it is. I mean, we're just gonna have to you know, we're gonna have to see what happens.
Speaker 14: You've gone back and watch the XFL film and how much how much of that if you kind of consume.
Speaker 15: We have, Yeah, we've I know, Randy, Chris Sam, those guys have watched probably every XFL kickoff that has happened with these you know, with the similar rules. There are a couple of things that are a couple of nuances that are a little bit different between their rule and the NFL's rule. But they have studied it thoroughly. I've I've studied clips that they've sent me. I've seen clips on my own, you know, just and that's just part of being a pro just doing everything we can to be prepared to you know, or just just to you know, gay just to develop our own ideas for how we're going to attack the play as well.
Speaker 13: We're attack and drill or we live with the last time before attacking.
Speaker 12: That's a really good question.
Speaker 15: There's probably in high school at this point, but I think it's one of those things it just comes natural, you know, if you're a ballplayer like you just you stick your nose in there and you know, hopefully, you know, hopefully you take hopefully you're giving out more of a hit than you're receiving. So that's that's a plan, at least at least right now. We'll see how that all works out.
Speaker 5: A chance to ask Charbot because he can't look for you. But don't they discourage that from meresponing for you to h to avoid contact.
Speaker 15: I don't think it's necessarily something that is encouraged, but it's not discouraged either, you know, It's just it kind of just comes with the territory.
Speaker 12: It's a football play.
Speaker 15: We're all football players out there, and ultimately, if a returner is uh, you know, b lining towards the end zone and I'm the last you know, I'm the I'm the last guy there to stop him. It is part of my job description. It's not necessarily you know, a priority A. You know, Priority A is make kicks and then you know, as far as kickoffs go, you know, be able to put the ball wherever coaches want me to put the ball, and then you know, somewhere in there is be ready to make the play on the ball carry if you have to. So you know, maybe maybe we will start doing some tackling drills over there in training camp it'll it'll probably be really bad TV, but we'll have fun doing it.
Speaker 5: Are thirteen.
Speaker 11: You're talking about even extra waves that you want to improve your own game team wide. Giving you guys finished last year. Have you seen the focus Brilli enhanced going.
Speaker 5: Into this season.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I you know, I think this this team, the core of this team has done a really good job of coming into this offseason program with the right attitude that we're going to pick up right where we left off. We were, you know, we were doing some really really good things. Uh, especially at the end of the year when you want to be performing at your best. We were doing a lot of really good things and just you know, focusing in on those things and then also just ruthlessly attacking our deficiencies, you know, whatever they may be. Always talk about the idea of around here. You don't you don't attack the person, You attack the issue. You confront the issue. You know, you kind of have to have a little bit thicker skin for that and realize it's not about you know, anything I have going on personally, but how can I help my team improve? How can I improve so I'm a better I'm more of an asset to my team and that's something that you know, this the core, this group, the leadership of this team has done a really good job of carrying over from last year, in years prior when we've had a lot of success carrying over from prior seasons to this time right now. And it's something that I know, you know Rokwan Lamar, even young guys like Tyler Linderbaum, Kyle Hamilton, you know, really leaning into that idea and finding ways that we can all step up our individual and collective games.
Speaker 12: This team's doing a good job of that.
Speaker 13: Photograph just uh ils think more looking after recovering late injury and back to a fluid operation.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, I wouldn't say back to a fluid operation. Tyler did an excellent job for us last year, and uh we appreciate his hard work. He did a he did a great job stepping in kind of you know, last minute, if you will, was like right right at the start of training camp. And you know, you guys that know me well know that I like our operation to be air tight. I like it to be hermetically sealed, and nothing can penetrate what you know, nothing can disrupt what we've got going. And the more we wrap it out the longer we have to work together, you know, the the tighter our operation becomes, the more efficient we become. So, you know, losing out on realistically several months last season was tough.
Speaker 12: But Tyler did a great job stepping up.
Speaker 15: And uh, as far as Nick goes, Nick's doing an excellent job picking up right where he left off. He you know, he was coming off of a you know, a Pro Bowl caliber season. In my mind, I thought he should have been a Pro Bowler. He was, he was coming off of an all Pro caliber season. Uh So it's not just us that recognize how good of a job.
Speaker 12: He he can do.
Speaker 15: It's you know, he's he's being recognized by his peers across the league as well. Uh So, it has been really good to see him step right back up and come out out of the field ready to go just like he said he was going to. And you know, a lot of a lot of y'all don't don't know this about about Nick or really like any of the guys that battle season ending injuries. You know, what they have to go through is uh you know, it's pretty grueling, not just physically, but emotionally, mentally, spiritually, It challenges you and Nick was Nick was grinding, you know, he was grinding all last season. As soon as he got hurt, he you know, he went right to work, much like many of the other you know, injured guys have done before him and will do after him. So, you know, credit to him, Credit to the staff that works works with all the guys you know, and then the folks that you know whoever else, and Nick is working with, like everybody was doing a really really good job to get him back to a place where he's gonna play high level football.
Speaker 1: Game on the offensive line, we heard from some of the guys who were competing for starting jobs. Let's go to rookie right tackle Roger rosen Garden.
Speaker 9: Roger, what's uh, you know, from going through rookie camp until now having just about finished ots, what's been the biggest adjustment, What's stood out that maybe you didn't fully expect going into him.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you know, going from rookie many camp to OTA's there's quite a bit of differences because he getting all the bets coming in and I'd say the biggest difference is, you know, there's been a lot of guys, especially on the defense, that played in this league a long time and they know the ways, ins and outs of each play in and they get a lot of experience. So having those guys having those early experiences, they know all the tips and tricks to their defensive schemes and whatnot. Same thing of the offense. Uh, I'd say that's probably one of the biggest adjustments from rookie minicamp to OTA is just the little little details that all the veterans know. And uh, you know that's just gonna get come with time, then get acclimated to it.
Speaker 10: What's been like playing with Lamar Closer.
Speaker 14: Clo Yeah, great athlete, I mean as advertised, you know, and mv m VP caliber quarterback. You know, leader in the huddle, makes great plays, extends plays. Uh, everything expected when I got drafted.
Speaker 1: So then you'd be driving anyway.
Speaker 8: But how exciting is if it like legitimate as opportunity maybe get start or hasn't work.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you know, it's it's a great opportunity for sure. You know, I don't try to focus on the end goal too much, but you know, every day, like you said, grinding in and out. I just want to play hard and you know, compete with the best of the best. So you know, I just come every day ready to work and keep stacking days.
Speaker 3: Would be saying.
Speaker 5: About jolly alsandras.
Speaker 13: It's you know, talk about a lot to Rayle Vance, Cirt goals and just in media.
Speaker 5: Just what's been your experience working with them?
Speaker 14: Yeah, very experienced coach. He's been around the league a long time, been around a lot of great players, especially when we're in meetings. He's got a lot of great stories about players he's coached and and whatnot. So he knows the ins and outs of this league and the tips and tricks kind of like I was talking about before. But yeah, great coach.
Speaker 3: I know you're pretty limited.
Speaker 5: And contact, but who've been some of the tough guys to go up against them?
Speaker 14: Yeah? I think obviously Dafe he's a really good player. Malie Ham really good player as well, and then big travel the middle and Brody. Those guys are holding it down for sure. So those are just list a few, you know, as advertise, those guys are high caliber players. So yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, a lot of it is mainly just getting stronger for me, you know, I feel like every football player can get stronger in their game, and especially coming here. Coach Elliott and staff have done a really great job. And I put on a few pounds and it's not it's not fat, So thankful for that. So yeah, and uh, that's my main thing is gain weight if so they like me where I'm at and get stronger.
Speaker 5: Remember talking to you on.
Speaker 8: That Zoo draft night and like you were so excited to play with Lamar, right, and so like you come in here, is there anything that as far as Lamar the way he carries himself off the field on the field, that's kind of surprised you. You didn't expect, uh, you know, coming here and working with it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean you guys seeing it out there, a little bit very charismatic, especially he's very animated when it comes to celebrating with teammates. You know, he's very positive, give given guys uh criticism whenever they need it. And you know, Lamar's that leader that this team has, and you know he definitely displays it on and off the field. In the locker room, he's.
Speaker 12: The same guy, the same guy every day.
Speaker 11: So yeah, you going one championship Gallip program down to Baltimore, Ravens has been anything different. Maybe that's impressed you in the way that you watch this organization as a whole go about its business.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean very detailed. I remember the last staff I was just with and at school, everything was super nitpicky with the details when it came to practice off the field stuff, weight room stuff, and everything translated to the exact same as what I expected from coming to do an organization like this, you know, and everything's not much has changed when it comes to that kind of stuff and those small details, but uh yeah, it's it's it's been great in very smooth transition.
Speaker 1: Another intriguing and important player on this offensive line is Andrew Vorhees. He was a seventh round draft pick out of USC a year ago. He did not play at all as a rookie because of a knee injury that he actually suffered at the combine during the pre draft process. But now he's competing for a chance to start on this offensive line at left guard, and he talked about that today.
Speaker 16: I start this off just say hello, oh yes, first time. Yeah, any questions.
Speaker 9: Andrew, just after going through the process last year of recovering.
Speaker 5: From the Edian dreamal not being.
Speaker 9: Able to play, how good has it just felt to be back on the field, and I guess, for lack of a better description, just being a football player again.
Speaker 16: Yeah, first time I get to be a football player and quite some time. So last time I stepped on the field was back in the fall of twenty twenty two, so as you could imagine, right.
Speaker 12: Just.
Speaker 16: A lot of time coming. So super thrilled to be back out there, and it's just been so much fun to just be a part of the team atmosphere. That's really what it's such a privilege of playing a team sport like this is you just get to go out there and be a part of something that's way bigger than yourself, and you just get the count on other guys and rely on other guys to put in the effort at the time, the discipline that it takes to be a great football player, so all that combined, it just can't can't state enough how how much of a privilege it is to be back out there again. Just how thankful I am for everyone who kind of helped give me back to being back out on the field.
Speaker 5: Did the I know it was a couple of months ago, but did the one year anniversary of your entry you kind of passed without you were knowing it or remarking upon it. Did you is that date kind of seared into your brain?
Speaker 16: I think it was just another day. I think I was in the weight room, honestly, which I know Coach Arboss talked about that that was that was my year last year, A lot of a lot of time in the weight room, So I mean it was definitely something I thought about, but nothing, nothing that really, I mean, just another day. Just trying to put that day behind me and just kind of close that chapter and move on. And uh, I'm just so thankful to to be where I'm at now in terms of my health and stuff. So part of the work that I've put in and and uh that all of our staff is poured in and uh yeah, I was just looking forward now it's uh to what lies beyond us.
Speaker 15: It's really getting the wait room.
Speaker 10: I know you talked about how.
Speaker 5: You just study film and study of study systems. What is it like actually putting you know that you've actual knowledge into.
Speaker 10: Play out here And do you feel like maybe you're a little ahead.
Speaker 5: Because of how much you've studied.
Speaker 16: Unique in the fact that it's such a repetitious uh position beaming offensive line and again not being out on the field and uh since the fall of two thousand and twenty two, and then making the jump from right the collegiate level to the National Football League kind of a double edged sword, right, So at first it was a little fast, but just over time, over these OTA days and football school days, it definitely has slowed down a ton. And I'm just thankful for the guys that are around me in the offensive line room and they just help help me and just make it easy for a.
Speaker 8: Guy like you who hasn't been able to practice your craft in the field. When will you know that, like you're getting better at what you do? I mean, or have you gotten better in this year in other ways? Like kind of walk us through that. I mean, when will you know as a player, I'm making improvements, I'm better than I was.
Speaker 16: I think it's just going out there daily, and I mean being a good offensive lineman, right, I really truly believe that it's it's selfish and boring. Right, You just have to put in so much time because it is such a technical position. So just knowing that I'm continuing to do that and just let these guys pour into me that are in the room and our coaching staff and my position coach specifically. It's more of a process really, more than an outcome ideology that I have in regards to like being an offensive lineman. Right, so just every day just trying to get better at something and over time being molded into a great football player.
Speaker 3: What was the you know, going.
Speaker 5: Through that process?
Speaker 3: Was it difficult or most difficult?
Speaker 5: Physically? Mentally frustrating?
Speaker 13: What was I guess the how would you sort of set up the experience of you know, getting the injury and trying to hurry.
Speaker 5: Away all the way back like that?
Speaker 16: I think it kind of changed over time. So at first it was just a why with a big question mark at the end, and then slowly over time, right, the the question changed, or the the kind of the response changed and it was kind of why not, right, like, just go attack it. Attack the rehab controls you can control.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 16: The the event happened on what day was in March sixth I think of of last year when I got injured, and so I think it was just tough mentally at first, but then once I kind of changed that mindset and just said, hey, I'm just gonna tak this head on and and just kind of like get after it it. Uh, it definitely just became a lot easier.
Speaker 7: I think Ronnie Stanley about his experience recovering from the injury, did he give you any advice on that front?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I definitely had a lot of conversations with Ronnie in regards to his injury that he had and just kind of more so like what it was like coming back and just things to focus on. Again. He is a more of a a process overallcome guy, so that that definitely helped shape that that mentality as well.
Speaker 10: Grown to a fire pigs was for a starting job. How's that sort of effect your focus as far as going camping?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I just think to go out the practice every day and just try to be the best football player that I could become, right, and uh, we'll let everything else take care of itself. I know, these these gentlemen upstairs have have quite the job to uh to just right, who's gonna play at the end of the day. But as an individual, right, it's just it's up to us to become the best football players we can become, and uh just make their jobs easier. I guess with the injury and.
Speaker 11: You guys, I guess how did they through this past year, Locome, you were to help.
Speaker 16: You become part of being around stuff. Last year, although I was injured, I was kind of behind the scenes. I was in the classroom every day, so stuff you guys wouldn't necessarily see. But I fully integrated with them back. Uh at the beginning of ou Ta's when we got out there, like like it was nothing had happened, honestly. So the guys in that room in the office, line room are just so awesome and uh, there's a lot of leadership in there, and uh, they really just want to see you become the best that you can be. And so it really was an easy transition, and uh, I'm just thankful to have them as as teammates.
Speaker 9: You have to shoot your high and said through the injury, do you see that helping even.
Speaker 5: Translating off the beard.
Speaker 16: I think so in specifically, like my confidence right just at first when the injury happened, it was was kind of like why and then kind of flipped it into why not and just attacked it straight on. And I think just at the end of the day, controlling that I can control, and my response to what had happened was just going to lead to the best outcome possible. So that's kind of like what the mindset flip was like for me.
Speaker 1: That was Andrew Voorhees And you're listening to the Ravens Press Past podcast. If you want a full recap from OTA's headed to the Lounge podcast feed and we break it all down for you over there. Make sure you hit that subscribe button on this feed and on the Lounge feed as well. Thanks for listening, and we'll be back with you again next week.