Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break? Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Ready for a break? Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 5: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Were on right with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Wednesday, August seventh, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode fourteen. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break live from ox Dard, California.
Speaker 4: We are rolling through training camp. Actually today is the midpoint.
Speaker 6: It is exactly halfway between the time we arrived and the time that we will leave.
Speaker 4: So we're we're moving through this thing.
Speaker 6: And Cowboys actually get started with their preseason this weekend. So let's start getting a little more interesting rather than just kind of being Groundhog's day around here in Oxnard.
Speaker 4: We are presented by LG.
Speaker 6: LG is the world's number one O led TV brand for eleven years in counting see why at LG dot com Ford slash O led Evo.
Speaker 4: All right, here's we're gonna do today.
Speaker 6: We're going to first start with some transactions at the Cowboys made and right on, que we got our guys out here making sure.
Speaker 3: And make you're gonna park it right there.
Speaker 6: They are making sure that these players have a good field yes to be able to practice. I had someone on Twitter asked me, you know, why are you gonna tell them to stop it?
Speaker 4: I'm like, yeah, man, we are not the priority. Podcast is not the priority.
Speaker 6: Having these guys on a field where we don't have a CLS getting busted every day is the priority.
Speaker 4: So do what you need to do. We'll figure it out, all right. But here's what we're gonna talk about. Some transactions today the Cowboys made.
Speaker 6: We'll get into some practice observations, some things you guys have seen over the last couple of practices, and then we'll talk a little bit.
Speaker 4: About a couple different things.
Speaker 6: I have a couple different topics, one of them being the safety position. I think as one position we have not spent a lot of time talking about. So I want to dive into that a little bit at some point in today's show.
Speaker 4: Let's start with transactions.
Speaker 6: Yesterday Cowboys signed three players and they move Ceedee Lamb to revert reserved did not report my assumption.
Speaker 4: Is that was more of just a move.
Speaker 6: You needed a roster spot, you make the move not necessarily indicative of anything going on with contract.
Speaker 4: Is that how you guys read it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I see it that way.
Speaker 8: I mean it could if they felt like a CD Lamb deal could get done by the end of the week, then maybe they don't make that kind of move. But this is starting to trend more towards a thing that I feel like happens by the end of camp. And if that's the case, and that's one extra body that they could have here at training camp, and so that's what they do. They wanted to bring in three guys on the defensive side of the ball. They were able to do that yesterday by moving Lamb, so that did not report lists. I mean, if you think about it, this is something they could have done maybe at the beginning of camp, but you know, with the way the negotiations are going on, it seems that the team is comfortable pushing that out and maybe if he doesn't return until the camp is over, then they're okay with doing that.
Speaker 9: I'm sorry to get antsy, because yes, this move doesn't mean anything in the sense of like, yeah, and if he was just signed today or whatever, they'll bring him in and they're gonna make a spot for him and room from him, obviously, But at the same time, it's like, oh, okay, well, I guess it's not happening today or maybe not tomorrow, or maybe not this weekend because you do need the bodies. But it's uh, we thought it was gonna happen last week, I felt like, and it's still. People keep asking on on Twitter and everything. I haven't heard anything. I don't think you guys have unless y'all did last night at the party.
Speaker 7: I don't know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 10: It's up school, the insights.
Speaker 9: Come on, bring but the fans one on the show, Brian, have you heard anything?
Speaker 3: I'm with this. I was at the party last night. I'll tell you this.
Speaker 11: When you start needing to worry is when it turns into game checks because the way the rules fall down, you know, if you look at what Lamb makes, he could lose a million dollars a game, and so all of a sudden, now you start missing games. Right now, you're in that phase where you're you know you're getting fined, but they can all rescind the fines. We talked about that a bunch, so I think they're working through things right now. I to me, it's more about, like, you have an idea what the numbers are going to be with the parameters, where are they going to fall? How close can you get him to the top receiver? You know obviously the cowboys, you know, they don't want to reset the market. That's something I've always found with Steven Jones and Adam Pacific and those guys. If you come in at or under, they seem to work those numbers a little bit better and it makes them feel better about what they're doing here. So but when you start missing games, that's when it becomes I think, very very serious here.
Speaker 3: So we'll see if that.
Speaker 11: I don't think they're gonna get that point, but pack, you know, this thing has kind of gone on a little bit longer than I thought it would myself.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I get the suspicion that it's not necessarily the number.
Speaker 4: And when I say the number, the.
Speaker 6: Average that he makes for you, I don't think that's really probably what's driving or slowing this thing down.
Speaker 4: The fact of the matter is, when you're talking about a deal like this.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of other factors of how you structure the deal that will affect cash flow, that will affect how the Cowboys pay it out, that will affect how it will hit the salary cap over the next several years. I suspect that that's probably more what holds this up because I think everybody sees the writing on the wall, right, you know what the numbers probably are, just because you know where he slots relative to other receivers around the NFL. So I don't you know, it's one of those things like that's the hard part of this is when you start getting into the details and making sure all that can work not only for CD but also for the Cowboys and what they have to do with Dak, what they got to do with maybe Micah or presumably Micah and everybody else that's coming up the next couple of years when it comes to new deals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a the heat to me.
Speaker 11: When you look at Lamb and people always say, when you give a guy a contract, are you expecting what do you expect?
Speaker 3: He's gotten better every year? Yeah?
Speaker 11: Yes, so you when you start to look at the players around the league at wide receiver, he fits in with those guys. When you start to talk about the best receivers. He is one of those guys, and he's gotten better every single year he plays. And you're as a front officer thinking, if you give a guy a contract, you don't want it to be two years in and then all of a sudden we're eating dead money at the end of it. You want a guy that's making you know, is every year it's going you know, okay, hey, yes, he's earning this, he's earning this, and Ceedee Lamb.
Speaker 3: To me, is that type of guy. You know he is.
Speaker 11: He is that guy that if you watch him play, he has gotten better. Now there's people out there and say, well, wait, broadus, what happened in the playoff games?
Speaker 3: What are we doing? You know?
Speaker 11: I mean there's a lot of things in the playoffs you can talk about this football team.
Speaker 3: It's just not Ceedy Lamb.
Speaker 11: But to me, if I'm looking at the front office aspect of it, I'm looking at it as like, hey, guys, I it doesn't take.
Speaker 3: Long to call the role.
Speaker 11: He's in a room where he's very comparable to guys playing at a very very high level.
Speaker 10: Yeah you know what drives me nuts? Oh? Sorry, what you I was gonna say just real quick.
Speaker 9: What drives me nuts is and again I don't work in that in that room, like I don't deal with contracts, so I understand that it can be very, very complex. But at the same time, you know this was expected. You know Dak's contract coming up, CDs MIC's coming up next, You know kind of what those numbers are gonna look like. Sure you were waiting to see what other players we're gonna get, but you get it. You have an idea. So it drives me crazy knowing what they did not do during the off season because of cap money and they were unable to do. And then we're sitting here at this point where it is getting closer and closer to the season, and I understand how valuable and obviously they do too, how valuable it is to have CD out here. We know it's gonna take up a ramp up period, Nick, you talked about it the other day. We know that what that's gonna look like, but we also know how that can hurt the team as far as like when the season actually starts and all of that.
Speaker 10: So it's just it's it's always.
Speaker 9: Wild when we're sitting here this far into camp, talking about contracts because you know what's coming, you know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I think an interesting part too, just the entire negotiation factors are the little nuances, and those nuances change every time that another receiver gets done or the rumors starts swirling about another receiver getting done.
Speaker 7: So let's just look at this week, for example.
Speaker 8: Let's say they started the week with an understanding of where both sides were at the negotiation. You know, one side maybe feels optimistic or upbeat, you know, Stephen Jones has said a couple of times. And then a deal like Tyreek Hill gets done where he didn't necessarily add more money, but he got more guaranteed money than any.
Speaker 7: Receiver in NFL history.
Speaker 8: So you add that nuance into the entire negotiation, that adds a whole different thought over right. Yeah, and then now you're looking at this Brandon Nyuk situation, the Ceedee Lamb and his representation fall back and say, hey, let's kind of see what happens here, because there's the Steelers that are trying to make an offer for him, the Patriots, the Browns, and if he were to get traded, then they signed an extension for him as well. And that's in the same draft class, and that probably impacts more than what Tyreek Hill could have impacted as far as the nuances of the steal. So there's so many different factors and different players that are involved within these two sides of the negotiation as well.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you got a team in this Brandon Nyuk thing. And I was talking to my buddies in San Francisco about it yesterday and they're like, listen, whichever way this goes, we've got this thing covered, you know, wherever it comes back in compensation now. And you're right about Brandon Ayuk. I mean, if he ends up in New England, there's a team that needs weapons, there's a team to willing to pay. There's a team that you know again, how the Hills situation, Ayuk? I mean, everybody's waiting to see and it seems like maybe you make some steps forward in this negotiation and then some other thing gets thrown into the mix that totally will Wait a minute, we didn't think about this, you know, Well, wait a minute, we had a deal. Well no, we don't have a deal now because we just got some new information. So the front office is chasing a lot of that right now.
Speaker 4: It's a hard thing to do to come up with these deals.
Speaker 6: And like I said, there's a lot of different fronts when you're talking about a deal like this.
Speaker 4: It's not just the overall money.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of other factors that go into how it has to be structured.
Speaker 4: And I think that's a lot of what's going on here. All right, let's talk about the guys that they signed.
Speaker 6: Give me a rundown on linebacker Darius Harris, defensive tackle Albert Huggins, and linebacker Nick Vigil.
Speaker 8: Yeah, if I could, I'll start with Nick Vigil, a third round pick of the Cincinnati Bengals back in twenty sixteen. So at the time, current Cowboys defensive run game coordinator Paul Gunther was the defensive coordinator for the Bengals, and so he was his coach for two years and then later in his career, Nick Vigil had a season with Mike Zimmer up in Minnesota in twenty twenty one, so a lot of experience and knowledge of the system Nick Vigil has coming in here. Had started twelve games, accounted for eighty five tackles in that season with the Vikings. Back in twenty twenty one, he had an injury that he battled in twenty twenty two, and it kind of resorted him to the practice squad of the Vikings in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 7: But nevertheless, it's another guy.
Speaker 8: In the building that knows the system could help bring these young guys up to speed. And then Albert Huggins six foot three, three hundred and five pound defensive tackle, and O'Brien will probably talk a little bit more about his alignment. I feel like he's more fit to be a three tech, maybe to rotate in with Osa Digizua. But five seasons he's been in the NFL, five different teams that he's played for, so this will be team number six for him. But he started in five games for the Atlanta Falcons last season and accounted for twenty two tackles, by far, the most action he's participated in his NFL career, so coming off of a lot of experience. He also had a very brief stint with Mike Zimmer in Minnesota back in twenty twenty on the practice squad, and then Darius Harris. He spent four season with the Kansas City Chiefs, undrafted linebacker out of Middle Tennessee State in twenty nineteen, he participated in thirty three games. His best season came at twenty twenty two. He played in all seventeen games and racked up forty three tackles. So pretty good to have a two time Super Bowl chap on your roster as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's do this real quick, Brian, I want to take the break and come back. I'm how Brian, give us a gattery report on these three guys. I know you've watched all three. Yeah, and give us some insight as to what you think they can provide for this team when we come back.
Speaker 4: Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 12: Rey Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, secure five G.
Speaker 13: Requires compable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five g for you for dtails.
Speaker 14: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 4: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 14: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 7: No one comes close.
Speaker 3: Lg O lead.
Speaker 14: Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leadevo.
Speaker 15: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room.
Speaker 3: Yep, you hurt that correctly.
Speaker 15: Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five, the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 7: The winds will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 16: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school. An inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does, and it's here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to. Bank of America. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Bank of America and a member after I see Eco credit Opportunity Lender.
Speaker 3: Back to the.
Speaker 9: Break Atant, official sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back.
Speaker 6: It is the second segment of the Break Life Marks in Arc California. This segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, so, Brian, as we were going to break, we had mentioned the three guys that the Cowboys signed.
Speaker 4: Give us some scatter reports on these players.
Speaker 11: Yeah, they'll start with Virgil and he's kind of been a guy that's when you watch him play, maybe a career special teams guy with you know, with his mainly that's how he's always kind of stayed on teams.
Speaker 3: First off, I was a little bit surprised that they.
Speaker 11: Were bringing in linebackers. I don't know how you guys feel. Watching practice, I kind of felt like that this room has shown up at linebacker a little bit. And I it to me, you know, maybe it might be like they they not get with the one out of these guys special teams wise, his bones kind of because if you look at it, Virgil and you also look at Harris, kind of guys that play a lot of special teams and play on all different special teams. So maybe it's like, Okay, guys that know what we're going to do, how we're going to play, how we're going to line up, But give you that ability to block, that the return ability and all that.
Speaker 4: So can I throw this out just a question for you.
Speaker 6: You think maybe it's partially because they like a lot of their linebackers, a lot of them. They may say, we don't necessarily want to play them in the preseason.
Speaker 4: Somebody like Overshowing.
Speaker 6: You would think it's got to be a lot in the preseason, but because of the injury, they may not, and they're like, we need bodies to be able to play these games.
Speaker 11: I'm interested to ask because it's not an area if you're bringing in defensive tackle, I understand, you know, if they were bringing secondary help, I would go why you know?
Speaker 3: Or the linebacker help? Why?
Speaker 11: So that's what you do today is you try and go up and ask somebody like, Okay, what what was the thought about you know, the linebackers here?
Speaker 3: And to your point, I don't have.
Speaker 11: A great answer for you because that's not a position I would have attacked. I would have thought, Okay, I've got some young guys here, you know, I want to see them play. But you know, I don't know. That's it was surprising to me. But when you start to talk about with with Virgil and what he's done, he plays really as an inside linebacker, and that's more than you know. You think, oh, well, is he a Mike or is he a Will Sam? More of a Sam linebacker. The thing about him is he's an aware player. He's a good tackler in open space. There were a couple of times when the ball got thrown and he got putting coverage and the ball went to the outside and it was it was like a third down play, third and short, and they throw it to the flat to the back and he immediately makes the tackle for no gain and now you're like off the field. So that part of it was when you look at him, you can put him in coverage. He's an aware player. He uses his hands well from what I saw, you know, getting rid of blockers or a couple of times where guys came on him, he was able to engage and then get rid of the guy and then still find the football. I'd like to see a little bit better burst from him. There were some times where you could tell that everybody else was moving and he was moving, but there wasn't that like you'll see these guys out here, Like if you watch Clark and those guys, they cover.
Speaker 3: Some ground when they're running to chase the football.
Speaker 11: So i'd like to see a little bit better burst from him that way. But the strike as a tackler's good. I don't see a lot of quickness with the guy, which is again something you see out here with these linebackers. There is some guys that can run. There's some like when they read it, they go. He's a little bit of a guy that when he sees it he's gonna go.
Speaker 3: But I think that's his strength right now.
Speaker 11: Is his awareness to be able to play the position and get over and then make the play. But he is a really really good tackle or tackler. I think he's going to be a rotational linebacker forim here and the special team.
Speaker 3: Stuff that I mentioned. So, and then you get to Darius Harris.
Speaker 11: I watched him quite a bit on special teams as well, just because I was curious about him. He's got some size to him, He's got some quickness off the ball, unlike with what you have with Virgil there. I'd like to see him adjust a little bit better in space. That was something that when you watch him play, he's kind of a bigger guy, and it was like he was not unsure, but it was like the ball was here and he was having you and then oh, come back, but there was not that quick processing to it. It was like, Oh, there it is now. I gotta think, you know, I like to see him play a little bit better that way. I think it's straight ahead speed is really good. The lateral stuff not so much, I think all but he's one of those guys that if it's attacking, he's going to be good that way with it. So special teams rotational linebacker kind of fits into what you're doing without the It's got the size, but doesn't have the quickness or the burst that these guys have right now. Albert Huggins I mentioned I watched the games where he was playing the defensive tackle. The Packers game is one of the games he plays both as a nose and as a three technique. You're right, Nick, I think he's a little bit, probably more of a three than this, but he does have some lateral slide to his game.
Speaker 3: You see him.
Speaker 11: Maybe they're trying to kind of figure out a backup spot for OsO Diggizuwa out here.
Speaker 3: You know, is it Golston?
Speaker 11: If maybe if all of a sudden Huggins works out, you can move Golston maybe to another spot. So that might be what we're trying to do here. But he does have quickness, he'll hold the point of attack. There's some squareness to his game. And when I say squareness, he'll take on. You don't see his he's wearing number ninety four. You didn't see him get turned or moved out of the hole that way. So but you know there were times where they they kind of were uh where he was able to get down the line of scrimmage. He beat the cutoff blocks, the reach blocks. You know, he's he's he can get kind of trapped in one area. So you know, you want to see maybe a little bit better extend and then a little bit better of getting rid.
Speaker 3: Of the guy.
Speaker 11: But you see him upfield and he wins upfield. I'd like to see a little bit more better awareness of the down block, like he would engage and then he wouldn't feel the block coming.
Speaker 3: A lot of these guys could feel that and know that and.
Speaker 11: Work around that block, and he kind of got blocked when it was that down block.
Speaker 3: He was kind of taking that on.
Speaker 11: And I'm like, man, how many times are you gonna get hit in the side before you realize they're down blocking you in this game? So I think I think he'll I think he'll be a good addition to trying to figure out can he play a little one and help him?
Speaker 3: But can he play that three and maybe be.
Speaker 11: Behind Osa and then allow like I said, allows them to move golst into another spot.
Speaker 4: That's good stuff. All right, Let's let's move on.
Speaker 6: Let's get some practice notes over the last couple practices. Let's go down the line. Tell me some things that you notice, some things jumped out of em. Let's start with you.
Speaker 10: Well, can I go on a quick rant, real fun.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, Like I'm gonna say, Noah, like you're about my scouting reports?
Speaker 9: No, but yeah, so every year, I you know, we get excited before the season starts and blah blah blah. But you know, being there done that. In my case, I've learned my lesson type of thing.
Speaker 3: I'm like, no, I'm not gonna get.
Speaker 9: Excited about nothing. Y'all better show me in the playoffs not doing.
Speaker 10: This, you know.
Speaker 9: So, But the Cowboys tend to have some spark that they work their magic, and I'm a victim again that I'm about to jump on the roller coaster. But there's something that is really really exciting. The other day on the other show, Ryan, you mentioned Mike Zimmer and what he's been doing with the defense. To me, the more and more I watch, the more and more excited I get because it's such a different look than what we are used to seeing with the Cowboys defense in recent years.
Speaker 10: The way that he's.
Speaker 9: Disguising guys, you know, plays and and just the trick aspect where you would watch other teams do things like that and we're like, why can't we ever have that?
Speaker 10: Why can't we ever Like I'm missing I.
Speaker 9: Can't think of the word, but just tricking the eye.
Speaker 10: But the point is what.
Speaker 9: He's what he's doing, what he's doing right now with all of that, it's such a different look. I think it's gonna be very very exciting for fans to see, for us to watch this season, and it's allowing guys to be positioned better to allow them to be more explosive and more creative and like get to the place where they need to be and I think the defense yesterday's practice, they had a really good day. Everything that they did, they won. In my opinion, they won the day. They were the better group yesterday and everyone's looking it's just exciting. And I got a chance to talk to Trevon Diggs and I asked him, Hey, you've been standing on the sidelines for quite a while. Who has a guy who's a guy that's been standing out to you? And he mentioned killing Carson. He's a guy that he's like. He he's really quick, very very good with his footwork, his handwork, and he's when you watch him on field, aside from what happens on here, when you go into the film room and start watching what he's doing, he's a guy to look forw He's been.
Speaker 10: Very very impressive.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm gonna piggyback off that with another corner that I think is just having a phenomenal camp, and that's Jordan Lewis.
Speaker 3: Got darn it man.
Speaker 8: Looking at what he's been able to do over the course of these these couple of weeks. Men, he's been phenomenal. And I think that there's a couple of things that play into that. A it's different than last camp, for him in the sense that he's been healthy the whole offseason. He's been able to improve this whole offseason instead of Hey, trying to get healthy and trying to make it in time for training camp. There's a different mindset that I think plays into that. And then you know last year he was just getting comfortable being on the field again after that List Frank injury to his foot that was career threatening at one point. But you see that confidence not only in his body but with his ability. The way he ended the season last year. The Detroit game really sticks out to me as a game that he really stood out in. But just yesterday diving interception of Dak Prescott, it was the first one that Dak has thrown since they've been in pads, and then he had another one in the corner of the end zone that he went up with one hand and could have brought it down but just missed it.
Speaker 7: He's he's all over the place.
Speaker 8: You see the physicality that's starting to come back with Jordan Lewis, and that's what we saw at the end of the year last year. So he's just taking where he left off in twenty twenty three and moving it right into twenty twenty four.
Speaker 7: Really loved that.
Speaker 8: And then one other thing that I'll point out from yesterday's practice specifically is they did a session with a goal line work and they were throwing in a different array of running backs trying to get those one two yards to get into the end zone, and the defense was a stone wall. I think they got him three consecutive reps, which was really huge for that defensive unit, and you could see, like whenever they were making those stops, you could see how much confidence was being built on that defensive side of the ball. So if you're worried about interior defensive line like I am, then that's definitely a that's definitely a positive mark you could look at.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you you're absolutely right about Jordan Lewis defensive holding penalty. We had the reference here, we'll.
Speaker 17: Take our ones where we get um and I I was trying to think who was going to get the first defensive holding penalty because these guys will I thought it was a good day over And I think you're absolute right about Jordan.
Speaker 11: Lewis and the player personnel trailer over there, they're watching film at night and they're trying to figure out how to get.
Speaker 3: Jalen Cropper on this team is what they're trying to do.
Speaker 11: He's making them a wide receiver in that room. Have to think about how many receivers are we going to carry? Are we going to be able to carry six?
Speaker 3: Do we carry five? How is this going to play out?
Speaker 11: He continues to make play after play, and it doesn't matter what group he could run with. The ones he makes place, he runs with, the twos he makes place, he runs with, the threes, he makes plays. It just seems like every time that you hear bones fossil, it's third and four, it's fourth and three, they throw the ball to sixteen and it's a first down, or they get down in tight red zone and.
Speaker 3: He's able to separate.
Speaker 11: He is making it very difficult keep an eye on him, especially this weekend, if it turns into or maybe all the preseason games. Does he function on special teams because all of a sudden, if you see and you've noticed number sixteen, he's gonna have to make his team.
Speaker 3: Being a complete guy.
Speaker 11: I don't think he could just be catch your guy or you know, but he is making that group over there in that personnel trailer.
Speaker 3: Have to think about keeping a spot on this roster for him.
Speaker 6: I'll throw out a name, and it's a guy that's a name that everybody knows, and quite frankly, I just over the last two practices I've started noticing him more.
Speaker 4: It's Zeke Elliott.
Speaker 6: He is not a guy obviously at running back. It's hard at training training camp to really see things from running backs, even linebackers that really impress me because the primary function of both of their jobs don't happen out here. Running Backs don't break tackles out here. Linebackers don't linebackers don't tackle out here, so you're not gonna really find out a lot about them until you get into the real games. But what I've seen from Zeke that made me a little more excited is he has a little more whig then I think I've I thought he still had at this point in his career. I thought of him more as just kind of that guy who was kind of find the whole, kind of get into it.
Speaker 4: But he's been out here, he's been a little more.
Speaker 6: Spry over the last couple of practices, and that that made me kind of it didn't pique my interest to make me see just you know where I think he's gonna gonna be and what he can possibly be for this team this season. He did have, as we said, we keep saying, he had a better second half of the year last year than the first half, and and could just be a situation where you really can get some really good production out of Zeke Elliott. I'm starting to get a little more excited about that at this point, just seeing some of the things I've seen out here in last.
Speaker 11: Hey, Rico Dabble is backing up either now, I mean backing up in a way of like, Okay, Zeke, it's all yours. I think that Rico is trying to put and I know that they're they're working Zeke, and you're mentioned a couple of days you are seeing. I felt like in the early practices.
Speaker 3: We really weren't seeing Zeke.
Speaker 11: I agree, yeah, And it's I remember Todd Arch and I were talking like is he practicing? And I'm like, I don't feel like he is, But you are seeing. You're right, you are seeing a little bit more from him, uh in that regard. But I I don't think Rico Dawdell is going to just give him this job. They'll probably say okay, you could be the guy. You know, they're probably the front office, Okay, you're Zeke, You're gonna But Rico Dawdell is making it interesting too as well that the way he's kind of playing with some complete the running ability to catching the ball and then some of the blitz pick up stuff as well.
Speaker 8: And I think regardless of how the depth chart stacks up, Rico Dawdell's going to have more opportunities than he had last year.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's just based.
Speaker 3: On his health.
Speaker 11: Is always the question that if you know, if you if you told me this is going to sound crazy, you told me he was going to be healthy for seventeen weeks.
Speaker 3: He's a better player right now than Ezekiel Elliott.
Speaker 4: I agree with that.
Speaker 3: I think the scene he is, he is a better player right now.
Speaker 11: If you said, okay, we are going to have to run the football and and you know, and I I'm not ever against putting the things in Dak Prescott's hands because he was a you know what you saw last year. I don't want him throwing the ball forty five times a game. But I will say this though, the guy that seems to give me a little bit of like, Okay, maybe this running game can average four yards four and a half yards and carry. I kind of feel like that's Rico Daddle right now. And I but I this room is still got me a little bit. Is there somebody else? Is there somebody else out there?
Speaker 8: I still feel like they just have three RB twos that they're just gonna throw on.
Speaker 11: I don't disagree with you on that, but I think that I think the thing with Rico Daddle, if I didn't have this injury concern in my head, I would I would totally say he no, he can, you know, put the put the put the equipment on the wagon and let him pull the wagon.
Speaker 6: But here's the thing, like I think, if they can get solid production out of Zeke, which is why I've been happy with what I've seen these last couple of days, they can get solid production from Zeke and what you say about Rico and what they like about Hunter Lipke, because I think he will have that will have a different role than yesterdydditional fullback, right, He'll get some carries in there too. I think now this running back room is starting to kind of I'm starting to get an image in my mind of what it can be and how it could possibly work. Again, everything has to work out. Like you don't have a lot of room for air here. But if everything works out, I'm starting to get a vision for what it can be.
Speaker 11: If you if you told me it was Rico Dabdele Hunter lipke In Turpen mixed in. I think I can find a way to run the football. Yeah, I think I can. But again, it has to be about the tight ends and it has to be the you know, how things play out because I completely trust Smith and I trust Martin Steele. You know, we got to you know, he's trying to work his way back into things. But they've got to get it. They've got to have some better point of attack blocking from these Titans. They got to figure out somebody that can that can handle that role.
Speaker 6: All right, let's go ahead and take our final break. We will come back in just a second. We'll get into a couple more topics that we want to hit here before we end the show.
Speaker 4: Is Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 18: Rio it's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, Your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 4: The Jack Black Playmaker is four.
Speaker 18: Of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 19: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a low key near you.
Speaker 14: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than an lg O lead EVO TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit I mean you by this will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 4: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 14: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 4: No one comes close.
Speaker 14: Lgolad Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 4: See for yourself at LG dot com.
Speaker 20: Slash O Leadevo from the field of the festivities, Lucasey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star in Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys cheerlead.
Speaker 12: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, Secure five.
Speaker 13: G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 9: Back to the break, LG O led evoys the best TV in the game.
Speaker 10: But don't take our word for it. Why are you guys? Why are you laughing?
Speaker 4: I'm loving it, Brian, I just I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: We had this conversation last night of her cocktails. Yeah, how terrible. I am doing this a way. They're a wonderful company. We're glad to have.
Speaker 8: This is like washingtrop blood. So just see Tom Brady driving out.
Speaker 10: Don't take our word for it.
Speaker 3: Did not.
Speaker 9: Said the LG all led G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See for yourself at LG dot com slash led Evil.
Speaker 4: Welcome back a G for that.
Speaker 6: You're you do we need we need to be like Okay, Brian, that's a good deal. Why don't you make us some gumbombo or some chili.
Speaker 4: Eat one you one I got.
Speaker 3: Which would have anybody allergic to seasoning or anything like that. We all get.
Speaker 7: I eat what you make, all right, Well that's the only thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, pork, welcome back.
Speaker 11: Final segment of the show doesn't work.
Speaker 4: We got a few minutes here before the show ends.
Speaker 6: So I did want to get some updates on some of the guys that are coming back from injury. There were there were two in particular that last season I thought, or last preseason, I thought, we're turning a lot of heads. They both had a c L injuries. They both missed the season. They're back now and.
Speaker 4: Practicing really from the beginning of camp. They've been out there.
Speaker 6: Let's talk a little bit about what you guys have seen from Marvin Overshown and from John Stevens.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll start with h I'll start with John Stevens.
Speaker 3: He's bigger. Have you not seen anything.
Speaker 7: O I have seen from Overshaw? I just figured out lest you have overshown there down.
Speaker 3: There if you want, because yeah, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 8: I'll take both. I'll start with John Stevens junior. He's he's definitely bigger. And that was the first thing we saw whenever he started to get on uh the chords with h with Britt Brown during mini camp and we see him out there on the field and it's like, goodness, who's that.
Speaker 7: It's like, oh, it's John Stevens. Like he's he's just bigger.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 8: We were able to talk to him a couple of weeks ago twelve thirteen pounds of added mass that he's added, So he's starting to factor into that tight end position a little bit more rather than you know, the receiver experience that he had from college at Louisiana Lafayette. But the thing with him, he's having the drops. He's a little bit out here at camp. That being said, you still see the route tree on display. You still see his a bill to be a receiving tight end at the end of the day. I think these preseason games will be really big for him at the at the very end of it, because if he can show that he has some point of attackability, not necessarily the best on the roster, but some point of attackability, and he can pair that with you know, a three four five catch game and connect with Cooper Rush, connect with Trey Lance, then I think he ends up finding a roster spot I do.
Speaker 7: And then with Demarvin Overshown, man, he's like a bat out of hell.
Speaker 8: I mean every time that he's hitting the field, he's trying to go one percent. And it was funny because after the first day that he hit the field, Mike McCarthy was like, yeah, he maybe went a little bit too hard as GPS numbers and analytics data came back a little too high than we want. So from me, what I see from him, I see I see communication. I see him playing different roles. Even when Eric Kendricks has been out of practice, He's been asked to do a couple of different things and he's shined in those roles. I think him and Marrius Luifou are gonna be a really fun duo as time goes on. And that's not to factor out DeMont Clark because I think he's a part of that young group as well. But on that same token, Overshown, I think he has that youth that he just attacks the field with and that's really great to see coming off of a torn acl he still has that attackability and I think that's going to translate onto the field on Sunday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, real quick, when you mentioned demon Clark. I think it's all of us probably are like you think of him and you think veteran. Yeah, he's a young guy, I mean really, and he came into the NFL already injured, came back from injury much fascinating at the spot, Like he is just a young I.
Speaker 3: Don't know if he was going to play again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Mean he is a young guy, and I'm very excited about him just because of the things I'm seeing out here, but more importantly just thinking about the fact he's still got a long runway.
Speaker 4: He really does.
Speaker 8: He He had availability the other day, I believe it was on Monday, and I asked him. I was like, Okay, you had these this veteran in the room and Eric Kendricks. That's really helped bringing you along. It's a great mentor for you. But at the same time, there's so many young guys in the room that you're kind of having a mentor and help, you know, kind of teach the cowboy way in a way. I was like, do you kind of feel like the middle child in the room, And he was like, yeah.
Speaker 10: I actually do.
Speaker 7: That's actually yeah.
Speaker 8: So he's the guy that I think can benefit from both areas of it. He can benefit from learning from kindricks, he can benefit from teaching these young guys.
Speaker 9: So with overshown for me, you know when okay, he was a rookie last year. You know when if there's a guy that's a rookie that get hurt they come back, there's still the lack of experience there. They're still like, Okay, this is gonna be the one year, two year player type of deal. But with him, you can tell that he has done the work despite of him being injured and out all this time, you can tell he's been studying.
Speaker 10: He has not missed a beat.
Speaker 9: I thought it would take some time for him to slowly start transitioning back into the groove and all of that. But no, he looks like he was up there last year. Like he doesn't look like he just came back from an injury. He looks great. His attitude, it's amazing. I love you you guys know. I always talk about energy and by and all that. He got all the right vives and all the right attitude. So I'm super super excited to see him playing actual football in a real game outside of practice. And then for John Stevens, he's a guy that caught many many eyes last training camp and we were all excited. Very unfortunate injury, but similar to what you were mentioning, Nick, I mean to me right now, I haven't seen a whole lot from him, so still I think mentally the injury may be kind of affecting him a little bit more than with overshown. But I think he's gonna put in the work and I'm excited as well to see him in the preseason. I think he has the talent, but he's just gonna take him maybe a little bit longer.
Speaker 8: I'm also trying to call back to last preseason and last training camp when it came to John Stevens Junior, and I don't feel like we really started talking about him until about this point.
Speaker 11: That's where I'm at right now, because you're right about when you watch him run the routes, you can see that he's getting confidence and his knee, the ability to get up the field, sink, to go to the outside to break and all that for a big, tall guy. He does play with some bend. The concentration drops bother.
Speaker 3: Me a little bit with this guy.
Speaker 11: But I kind of felt like last year that we were talking about him. You know, like this now we're kind of like, okay, we's kind of here right now. And so you know, but these these guys that have come back from these knee injuries, it seems like it has taken them some time.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's something we should worry about too, with Digs a little bit.
Speaker 11: Yea, you know that it wasn't it, Oh, Steal Pollard, all these guys that came back from knee and problems, injury problems, it took them a little bit time to get going, just.
Speaker 4: Them guys around the league.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just feel like we just immediately think, yeah, Diggs is gonna be an.
Speaker 11: All, you know, and you're like, oh, he needs to practice a little bit out here today.
Speaker 3: You know. But I with Stevens, I could see it.
Speaker 11: I can see it, and I'm looking forward to him in these preseason games and stuff. Over I like what you guys are saying about overshown. I'm kind of waiting for him to really cut it loose.
Speaker 3: He could be. He could be just.
Speaker 11: As disruptive if as Michael Parson's is in a practice. You know, he could be that kind of guy. There's been some times where I was kind of like when he's on the field, I'm thinking, Okay, he's just gonna you can watch some nine on seven stuff and he'll beat some blocks and like, okay. But then you get in the team and I don't feel like I see him in the teamwork as much doing those things I do see him, So I think they're kind of trying to get him going again. Yeah, he could play six plays and make three tackles. That's the kind of ability he has out here. And so I you know, I've noticed Lufile a lot, I've noticed Clark a lot. I've even you know, we talk about Willie Harvey, I've noticed him. I mean, there's guys you're noticing, and I just I'm just waiting for that time where I'm watching I'm watching team and it might be in this Rams scrimmage coming up.
Speaker 3: He's just flying downhill and making every single play.
Speaker 11: But he's he is a really really He's helped himself coming back from the injury with his physical conditioning and that's made a big difference.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the big thing for him is he does have the ability, the luxury of being able to kind of ease back in right.
Speaker 4: I think that the drafting of Leaphile. I think you're right seeing some things from him.
Speaker 6: I think Damon Clark is having as good a camp out here as almost anybody. So I think with him and then obviously bringing in Eric Kendricks, I think you've got guys that give Overshowing a little bit more of a runway to be able to get himself ready and to ease back into this thing. They're not counting on him necessarily to jump in and immediately be the top line guy here. He's got some time, he's got some ability to be able to work and work into it.
Speaker 4: All right, we appreciate you, guys. Jonna's so we are back on Friday.
Speaker 6: A good thing about Friday is we will be able to tell you everything that happened from the Cowboys Rams practice. Make sure you check out all of our coverage on Thursday as well. We're gonna do lots of training camp live. We're gonna have the understanding right now is we're going to have two different film crews on opposite sides of the field covering both parts of practice, so you'll get lots of insights on what's going on there till then. For Brian brought us Amber Garcia, Nick Harris. I'm Derek Eigleton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.