Speaker 1: Who Zone Media. Oh yeah, it's Behind the Bastards, a podcast that I open with the grunting noises that no one really likes, no one, No one's happy when I do this.
Speaker 2: Really, it's got, it's got a little like we're doing this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it reminds me of home.
Speaker 4: It feels like a safe when I open up pro tools.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of home in a perilous way to me, but in a way that makes you not want to return. Well, let's all hope the audience all agrees with Ian and we didn't. We didn't just torpedo our careers by me making grunt noises, guttural grunts in order to Yeah, exactly, good stuff, good times, welcome back to the show. We are finishing Liddy, what I promise will be our last episode on the g Man Mixed feelings, you know, ready to move on to another bastard. But also we get to listen to a lot of fear Factor today and that's something that should make everyone happy now. Much like the Catholics and g Gordon, Liddy was raised as a Catholic, he kind of becomes agnostic later on. But the Catholics believe, as I understand it that before getting to heaven, you generally go through a period in purgatory. Right, Maybe that's wrong, but let's all just pretend that the Catholics believe that right. In a similar fashion, before we get to the heaven. That is, watching a two thousand and six episode of Fear Factor starring g. Gordon Liddy, we have to go through the hell of listening to a bunch of clips from G. Gordon Liddy's incredibly racist radio show. So you know, buckle up, everybody. Hopefully the Pope will help us out of this jam.
Speaker 3: It's wild.
Speaker 2: It's wild that there was a good I guess the good period of Joe Rogan is unimpeachably news radio. So whatever this means, this is this is the purgatory of Joe Rogan.
Speaker 1: This is right before he goes to hell. He doesn't make it through the cut, right, Yeah, it's like going to med's school and becoming a dentist. Ooh that's right, dentist burns baby. Sorry, you know a lot of people really enjoy it.
Speaker 3: By whatever.
Speaker 1: It's fine, man, it's fine. It's fine. So we ended last episode with him finishing his book frightening his wife, singing a Nazi songs. He's back in full He's so back right, He's doing the full litty So he is, however, in a pretty desperate financial situation when he gets out of prison and it still owes about three hundred thousand dollars. It's a mix of fines and legal fees. He decides to take a spin at being a writer, because what other paths are open to him, and in nineteen seventy nine he writes a fiction book called Out of Control. It is a spy thriller. The Google book summary of it does not make it sound like a particularly good one. Richard Rand is a CIA rogue pulled back into the company for one last incredible mission. Gregory Ballinger is the Soviet spy whose empire Rand is out to destroy. But in a dance of deception from Washington to Switzerland and South America, the tables are suddenly turned. Someone in Washington wants the KG beat to wind and Richard Ran dead. Now so pretty boring, Certainly, I have not found any evidence that this was particularly good or that it had any new ideas. Pretty I think he's his idea was I put out a very basic pot boiler fiction and hopefully my fame as a Watergate conspirator makes a problem, you know, not a not a bad idea, No, And Howard Hunt had done that because he'd been an author before, like he immediately start and it had worked for him. Kind of, so I think he's kind of cribbing from Howard Hunt's worksheet here. We may do a book episode on this at so at this point at some point, but I kind of doubt it. He's He's not a bad enough writer that I think this will be very entertaining.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that said, his next idea is much better, which is to write his Watergate memoir, which he publishes the next year, nineteen eighty, and it sells like a million copies. He makes a shitload of money off of this, and once his book becomes a bestseller, Liddy finally finds himself more famous than he'd ever been, and all these conservative student associations at colleges around the country start clamoring to pay him to come and speak at their universities. Now listeners will know, I am of the opinion that college campus speaking tours are among the chief threats of our democracy and should be targeted via air power. However, if anyone does want to pay me to speak at your school. I will be happy to do so. So please, Yeah, yeah, bring me over. I've done it a couple of times. It's always a good fun. So. The Washington Post reports on Liddy's comeback tour, and their reporter is bemused at the popularity that this convicted felon and fascist has with college students. Here's their article for nineteen eighty. It's incredible. Jush is Donnie Epstein, Lyddy's New York agent. He goes to these college campuses and draws a full house. They start by hissing and booing it. At the end they give him a standing ovation. He turns them completely around. They love him. During his speech, Lyddy paces across the stage, coiling his microphone cord in one hand, unraveling it with the other. Dressed in a gray suit, wearing spit shined black boots, he speaks in staccato style, interspersing his dialogue with Latin phrases and quotes from Julius Caesar. Oh my gosh, he's good at this. The demand for Lyddy is titanic. He gives thirty two speeches in the first forty two days after his booking opens. There are protests by student groups who are angry, in particularly that their tuition money is going to fucking g Gordon Liddy. One of the things that's interesting to me, the Washington Post spends like a paragraph mentioning the protests. This barely merits a mention in nineteen eighty when in two thoson seventeen and eighteen, anytime there were protests of college, there's every the Post, in the New York Times, they were all all these quote unquote liberal papers falling over themselves to write articles about like, well, free speech isn't danger because students aren't happy that they're paying these fascists to speak. Nobody gave a shit in nineteen eighty interesting, So that whole article is a bleak but important read. And I have trouble not hearing the siren song of the apocalypse in responses like this from dipshit college kids. He's just so intelligent, said Jane Copp, a sophomore at Creighton, a Jesuit run school with fifty six hundred students. Before I heard him, I figured he was a psycho. Amy Jersik, another Creton sophomore, said, but he is really fascinating, and he expresses himself so well. He is just so pro American, such a super patriot, that you have to admire him even if you disagree. Aaron de Wald, who was with coppin Jersick, interjected. One Creighton student described that he as a modern John Wayne. And look, I know all these kids are old people now, but listeners, if one of these former students is your relative, pie him in the face this November, don't even explain. Why get him right in the fucking kiss with like a pecan pie. Pecan is the most aggressive pie to get hit by. Really really bash him with it. You know, That's that's what we're asking you all.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is also clearly cherry picked from the bozo's coming out.
Speaker 1: It's literally one group of free three friends, right, the free, shittiest people at the school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's no, I mean it's like, you know, every college has a fucking libertarian association, Like it's it's those fucking right wing freaks. Yeah, and like yeah you could, and you can tell it's because they know what quote centrist or I'm not right or left of an independent thinker thing to say.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you know that is of course just code for right wing freak. That is exactly right, and that that's that's my take on it to Andrew. So the next major move Liddy makes is a pretty intelligent one. He partners up with Timothy Leary to go on a series of debates and college campuses across the nation. And Leary, you know, he's this kind of prophet of the acid age. He becomes this figure who embodies left wing rebellion during like the hippie period the sixties. He's in jail several He's broken out once. In the Who's song The Seeker, you know, I'm the Seeker. I've been searching low and high. There's a line in there about like asking Timothy Leary for guidance and stuff like. You know, he is very famous and very famous specifically for being this like left wing iconic last and you know he does. He is in jail, in prison at the same time that Lyddy is theory. Actually they wind up in the same facility at one point, and they're both these they're both these like iconic clasts who are seen as embodying their respective sides of the political aisle. Right, tim Leary is this embodiment of the sixties and early seventies left and Lyddy is kind of the same thing for the right.
Speaker 2: I don't want to know true scott'sman this, but it's also like, yeah, this is like starts to crack into the moral bankruptcy of the world.
Speaker 3: These like yes, out of here.
Speaker 1: Yes, I I don't like Tim Leary, right, I'm not. I'm not a fan of the man particularly, so you know That's where I'm coming from here. They they have a lot in common and that they are both famous and both fame hounds, and they both understand partnering with each other will increase the appeal. It's also worth noting that at this time, by the time Leary is partnering on the speaking too, which is like the early eighties kind of he is not really left wing anymore. He's more of a libertarian and kind of that that early web. No, not that not what libertarian often means today, which is like even worse than a normal republican. But like that that is you know, your your pro civil rights, your you're pro pro you know, legalizing drugs, anti the state generally, but still also not anti capitalists by any measure of the imagination.
Speaker 2: Yeah, still it's taxes. They spend way too much time talking about taxes, and yeah, it is wild heled.
Speaker 3: Modern libertarians are most we just known for try to defend pedophilia.
Speaker 2: As far as I could tell, it's like give terrrible heroin to the child I'm dating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the modern libertarian.
Speaker 1: Giving heroin to the child I'm dating, as opposed to what it ought to be about, which is arming drag queens so that they can you know, carry out tactical strikes. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 1: I found a write up of the tour they did on reason dot com, which is a libertarian website, and it's it's sympathetic to both people, right. Reason is the kind of person who is going to see both tim Leary and Gebility as like admirable people. Potentially, I'm going to I think their description is interesting. First off, they give it a pretty good summary, which is they describe it as evidence of quote a disorienting moment in American history, a time after the convulsions of the sixties and seventies had ended, but while most of the giant figures of that faded age were still around trying to find a place for themselves in a changed world. And I do think that's actually a pretty apt description of what's going on here. Right quote, don't go in there's a film that's made about this tour they go on that you can watch. This is a summary of that film. Don't go into this film expecting a conventional left versus right matchup. By this point in his life, Timothy Leary was a full fledged libertarian. This becomes obvious a little more than forty minutes into the movie when he stands on stage singing the praises of voluntary organizations. I believe in bridge clubs, I believe in families, I believe in friends, I believe in stock groups, I believe in collectives, I believe in corporations and damning the one form of organization which is involuntary, and that's the modern state. He goes on to declare that every state in the world is a mafia, charging extortion fees called taxes, but he allows that I love America. America is the greatest mafia of the all. At another point, after Lyddy offers a lengthy denunciation of gun control, Leary doesn't reply with a liberal argument for restricting firearms. He simply suggests that Liddy's arguments against gun laws work just as well against drug laws. Now there's a couple things I would note here. What is that, Like, I agree with you all all states are mafius. The United States is the world's largest totally agreed, no disagreement. Why your corporation's not mafius under what like a hell a fucking insurance company sticking you up with like not allowing you to fucking get cancer treatment unless you pay ruin and like mortgage drafts. How is that? How was that better than a mob? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like, fuck fuck you for first off for not seeing that it's disgusting the degree of surveillance corporation. That's fucking vile. I think of him.
Speaker 2: It's better than a mob because any rich person could buy shares in it, where exactly in a mob. Yeah, at least some rich people could buy share. Yeah, this is like like having a debate between like center right and hard right and claiming it to be like bipartisanship, and like is truly like presages what the contemporary conversation?
Speaker 1: And this is not all I know? You know, I come from libertarians, like I come like that. Those were the people who pulled me away from being a republic looking and I know a lot of a lot of republic of libertarians I know are like, well, I believe in like markets, and I believe in people's ability to like compete. But I think that like corporations are fundamentally the enemy of the free market, right that like, actually what we need to do is break up monopolies and destroy the ability of And I don't have a problem with I may not agree one hundred percent, but I think that's an intellectually consistent point, being like, the state is a mafia and corporations are. That's nonsense, Timothy Leary, absolute nonsense. Also nonsense is what he's saying about gun control here. Obviously I have a different stance on this, I think from a lot of our particularly more liberal listeners. But what I will say that doesn't make sense about this is that the ways in which gun control and restrictions of drugs harm people, or sorry, the ways in which the gun issue and harms that are done by guns, and how gun control affects that is different, Like it relates to the way in which like drug restrictions and the way in which that harms people, Like, they're totally different.
Speaker 3: Arms.
Speaker 1: A big part of the danger of firearms. The reason why we have mass shootings and stuff, the reasons why we have gun crime, is that firearms are incredibly available. If you care about reducing suicides by guns, mass shootings, gun violence in general, you have to deal with the fact that like, the more and firearms there are out there, and the easier they are to acquire, the more people who are dangerous will acquire them. Right, even if you are pro gun, that is a very basic, inarguable fact that you have to deal with if you if you care at all about reducing the harm that guns do in society. Right. The issue with drugs is the complete opposite, which is that because of prohibition, drugs that are adulterated show up on the market, and those kill people. The other issue is that because it is an illegal business, the price of drugs is artificially inflated to many times what it ought to be, and so when people become addicted, they are often forced to do a position where in order to avoid withdrawal, the only way they can afford to get high is to steal shit. Whereas if they could get their heroin for fucking two bucks a dose from a government facility like they can in a couple of countries. They would not need to break into people's houses to afford their fucking fix. Right, These are completely opposite issues, and like comparing them and saying like, well, actually the problem with you know, gun control is bad in the same way. Don't know, they're completely different problem. Even though I have like a lot of gun control laws objectively are not effective, which is not to say that all of them are ineffective. A number of them do work, but it's a completely opposite issue. The issue with drugs is that is not that like there's too many drugs, it's that people don't know what they're buying and the price is inflated. The issue with guns is that any fucking asshole can get one. Like, totally different problems. What I mean, sorry, it's the way they're consistent.
Speaker 2: Is what you're talking to the world's dumbest right wing teenagers.
Speaker 3: They're both freedom issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I anyway, it's it's whatever. I'm I'm very frustrated by the Although I do have to say this is a debate occurring in the mid eighties, a lot of these problems were not nearly Like, for one thing, mid eighties mass shootings very uncommon compared to what they would be. So this is we and so you know, Finanel wasn't in the market. Both of these problems are very different when these guys are arguing. So I do have to I have to give them kind of that point.
Speaker 3: Anyway, quite simply has to hand it to g There we go, So.
Speaker 1: I don't Yeah, I don't want to go on too much. I'm done ranting about my opinions. There. I will make one more note, which is that while Leary, the guy who was famous as a hippie figure, is very much taking an individualist stance in these debates, Lyddy is the guy who is coming at this from more of This is something Reason notes Lyddy is actually more of a collectivist, which is where because he's talking about like, you know, because if fascists have a degree of that in them, right, sure, you know they're like He talks a lot more about like the community and the people and stuff, whereas Leary is is really more of a people should be able to like choose who they associate with. Liddy does not really believe that. But Lyddy also critiques the prison industrial complex pointedly in a way that Leary doesn't really spend a lot of time on, which is interesting to me. Yeah, he's not consistent about this, but it's interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 2: G Gordon Liddy has problems with the prison industrial complex. Yeah, only because he was in prison. Yeah, and he's certainly never had it before.
Speaker 1: He basically writes that in a column at one point. But we'll get there. Lyddy's newfound fame earned him constant appearances on new shows and the talk show circuit. We're going to play you a clip of him on Letterman from nineteen eighty two. Letterman does not give this guy any pushback whatsoever. He does not really question him in any meaningful way. You can see he and the audience falling for Lyddy's routine. Lyddy during this appearance discusses the time that he killed and ate that rat as a kid. Because you know, people have read the book by this point and are fascinated by it. He compares it to the experiences of like guys like POW's who have to eat rats to survive, and other heroic survivor narratives. When he's asked to give advice on life in prison, he goes into loving detail about all the weapons that he supposedly had. And here I'm gonna have I and play that clip. Now did you have did you have weapons inside prison? And how does a person get a weapon?
Speaker 6: You can get anything you want inside of prison, anything, if you're willing to pay for it and have the assets to pay for it. The way I got weapons were some I bought and some I stole, and some I had made for me by friends, good heavens, and we're like firearms or actual life. I had a steel bar with sharp edges with which I could break your legs. I had a pickaxe handle with a jagged punk of rusty steel on the end of it, with which I could make you very unhappy. And of course I had a knife. You always have a knife, shank as it's called me shank for.
Speaker 1: You kids watching at home, it's a shak. So it's frustrated to be the degree to which Letterman and everyone they're just like, yeah, welcome'm back. He's funny, he's our everybody's favorite fascist. You know this other shit gets normalized. Letterman, you were a part of that. Lyddy's book and touring went so well that Hollywood soon came a call in. In nineteen eighty five, he was hired to play a CIA operative who'd become a heroin Smuggler on an episode of Miami Vice. He is actually a recurring character on the show Miami Vice. There's a lot that's interesting about this appearance in particular, but I want to start with playing a clip of Liddy on the show, and this is from yeah, an episode of Miami Vice.
Speaker 6: You know, of course that in most parts of the world, pain is the second language. People understand it better than words because you can get right to the point. But in this country we don't really have very much pain, So the second language is money. Naturally, you'd expect to receive money for what, you know, that of pain?
Speaker 1: Oh ironic, you know that's not a that's not a badly delivered monologue. He's got some he's got Yeah, he's got stage presence. Like he gets a lot of appearances in a number of TV shows. And it's not just because like that's how he gets his foot in the door, but like he keeps getting appearances because like he's not bad at that. He's actually like a decent character. Not the only character he plays is g Gordon Lyddy.
Speaker 3: But yeah, just so bizarre.
Speaker 1: It is one of the again we keep talking about these modern day fascist media just beIN Shapiro, Stephen Crowder, Michael Knowles, these modern right wing ghouls that are all propped up by Petro dollars and the Wilkes brothers and shit, who are like spending all of their time advocating the fucking state suppression of transgender people. Scum. These guys are all Aping Liddy to some extent, but they all have the opposite path where all of these dudes fucking Michael Knowles was in a video we ran on Cracked. These dudes all started out by trying to break into acting and screenwriting, right They wanted to be Hollywood celebrities, and they failed out of it because they had no talent. Lyddy, on the other hand, starts as a right wing ghoul in politics and then he wins his way into Hollywood by virtue of some degree of merit.
Speaker 7: Like so we almost all his other Yeah, his like what skills he has are so bizarrely misapplied at all times.
Speaker 1: It's like maybe if he had started trying to go into politics, he'd be that guy. You would know him as like, yeah, I don't know the fucking fed in the early Avengers movies or some shit, he could have done it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all those guys are kind of like, you know, she liked your east Woods, like just kind of like right wing bozos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like yeah as evil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like we all more or less forgave Eastwood for that fucking weird chair speech, not because he knew serves to be forgiven, but because like he's in some pretty good movies, and it's like, and he's also in some pretty racist movies, don't get me wrong, but right, yeah, like yeah it's fun. It's not like whatever, it's We mostly ignore it because like, if someone's good at being on camera, we'll forgive a lot about them. Perhaps we shouldn't, but we do. Yeah, And yeah, Liddy's you know, he's not like a fucking historic level talent, but he's not bad at this. One fun fact about Liddy's second performance on Miami Vice is that the episode plot is like, yeah that he's like he's he's funneling. He's a drug dealer, funneling, selling drugs to funnel money to contras in Nicaragua, which is funny because like that's what happened, right, that's the Iran Contra story. But this episode airs a month before the first article exposing Iran Contra drops this episode.
Speaker 3: So that's fun.
Speaker 1: And like shit like that. You know, it adds to the mystique of g. Gordon Liddy. Obviously, how could that not right? That's wild that that happened. That's actually kind of crazy. Of course that would improve his kind of reputation. Is this shadowy figure of American politics and cultural life. You know, it creates something out of a man who should have buy all right, spent the rest of his life living quietly in shame. In nineteen eighty seven, his fame is close to it at its peak, and Lyddy has what would prove to be the only legitimate and verifiable violent encounter of his life. He finally gets into a fight that we can prove happened. It is not a good time for him. And I'm going to quote from an article in the Washington City Paper here. The confrontation took place at Lyddia's isolated Fort Washington home on Christmas Eve, nineteen eighty seven. According to news reports, Lyddia discovered a young couple sitting in a pickup truck on his property. Armed with a billy club, he approached the vehicle and told the mail driver to scram. Words were exchanged and the driver at tempted to back over Lyddy. When that failed, the driver whipped the truck into a U turn and came roaring towards Gordo. Liddy stood his ground and was knocked fifteen to twenty feet in the air. He suffered a broken arm and rib, a ruptured kidney, and a torn knee ligament. That is so funny, like he gets he has one encounter. These guys are just like making out fucking in a pickup truck, and he charges at them with a stick, thinking like this, scare him on the dangerous g Gorn Liddy with my billy club and it just run his ass down, nearly kill him again. Not a coward, Not a coward, not good at violence, O now. The article goes on to write, although he was not able to provide the police with either a tag number or description of his assailants, Liddy later began intimating in interviews that mafia friends from his prison days had identified the couple and would take care of of them. This never happened. Lyddy is ashamed that he got his ass handed to him and his only real fight, and he had to be like, my powerful friends will take care of him.
Speaker 3: They did.
Speaker 1: You got run over by some teenagers.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Somewhere out there is a hero. Maybe they're dead by now, it's been a while, but somewhere out there I still I hope are two heroes who know, like, we hit G. Gordon Lyddy with the truck. Yeah, right, if you hit G. Gordon Lyddy with the truck, reach out to US's over, Yeah, exactly. You gotta be fine. I'd argue at self defense. You know, come out. We'll put you on behind the bastards. If you ran down G. Gordon Lyddy with your truck and have any evidence to corroborate it, come on, come on, come on over. Folks love to talk to you.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting to me that the fact that you know this is kind of goes to show despite all these claims he has about some of these fights, he's in prison all these times we have to intimidate and scare people down. A lot of media, basically everyone, even in the liberal and left winging media, takes this as red and assumes that he was to some extent a dangerous man. Sure, I don't think there's any evidence of this. And again we have this one actual piece of evidence of how a fight went for him, and it's a disaster. He nearly dies because he tries to fight a truck with a stick. Right, that's the level again, these fascists that can't threat model. You don't even fight a truck with a gun if you can avoid it, that's not an even fight. You certainly don't fight it with a stick. But gee, Gordon Lyddy fucking tries, and all of the fact that he is a liar, the fact that he's so inconsistent, the fact that like he is, exaggerating and puffing up his skills and abilities was all available and easy to prove to any journalist in the nineteen eighties who had access with the library. It was easier for me every time I fact checked him. It was easier for me to do it. Obviously, I've got Google, I've got Wikipedia. All that shit makes it a lot simpler. But that wasn't an impossible dream for a fucking reporter back in that day. They chose not to fact check Liddy because he was popular and writing about his antics meant money. Perhaps the most upsetting example of this was Connecticut magazine, which paid Liddy to write a column about his time in prison. It actually starts, Okay, Liddy acknowledges that he found out having been in prison, that the liberals who had complained about the injustice of support and funding for criminal defense resources were right, and that he'd been wrong for ignoring them. But he spends most of the rest of the article specifically trying to argue against gun control by making up conversations murderers had with him, where they're like, oh, I always vote for gun control. I love gun control because I am a murderer. That's my favorite thing. Which these conversations never fucking happened. Yeah, quote to quote one of the latter. This is Liddy, to quote one of the latter, who raised his right hand in the manner of one taking an oath as he spoke on my mother. When I go on a piece of work, I don't look to nobody but God forget been. Something goes wrong and I gotta do what I gotta do, and the sucker's got a piece. I mean, it ain't all cut and dried. You know, he can end up whacking me out. I hope they take away all them guns from all them legitimate schmucks. Me forget about it. I'll always have a pistol when I need one. Yeah, no way, anyone ever said that to you, Like find murderer says, all them legitimate schmucks get the fuck out of here. Yeah, what a what a thing to set to put in the mouth of like your vision of a street thug. The phrase legitimate schmucks like whacking me out? Also like, yeah, what do you he is? He is weirdly mixing like racist people's idea of like what inner city like like diction is with like a mob movie from the sixties, Like it's it's so strange. Yeah, if Martin Scorsese was a bigot, Like that's how good Fellas would sound Lyddy also argues that since criminality is inherent to some people, programs that rehabilitate or educate them are valueless, and again he puts words in them out of prisoners, who's like, prisoners don't want to go to school, they don't want to have any sort of like rehabilitation programs. They just want to do their time.
Speaker 3: And leave.
Speaker 1: Great guy. In nineteen ninety one, Lyddy got to have a conversation with Jack Anderson. Now, Jack Anderson was, during the period that Nixon was in office, an anti establishment journalist who did some reporting very damaging to the Nixon administration and earned their ire. Nixon's people authorized a number of dirty tricks against Anderson. This is actually really interesting story. They like feed him some information to get him to write stories and stuff that will hurt him, and there's a lot of plotting about like what more we could do to stop this guy. Lyddy and Hunt actually spend their early days as White House plumbers working up vary assassination plots, like they are in the pay of the White House, plotting for ways to murder a US journalist. Now there's a lot of debate as to how much they whether or not anyone else wanted them doing this. One of the versions of events is that basically somebody jokes kind of like, yeh'd be good if we could get rid of that guy, and Lyddya assumes, oh, that's an order from the White House for me to murder this way, And when his bosses find out, they're like, what the fuck are you no, stop like we do not like g Gordon Liddy, do not assassinate a journalist on behalf of the Nixon white House. That is not your job. There's still a lot of argument as to whether or not there was any serious planning beyond him and Hunt being maniacs together. I don't want to downplay this because this is the fact that that there were people in the pay of the White House talking about this is a fucking serious thing, right anyway, this is an issue. Later as a celebrity, Liddy talks to Jack Anderson and is like, oh, yeah, we were plotting to murder you. And when when Anderson is asked, like, how do you feel about the fact that g. Gordon Lyddy and Howard Hunt we're plotting to kill you? His response is great given their record, I was in no danger. The safest place to be is a person who g. Gordon Letty wants to kill I know.
Speaker 2: The other thing that like is pretty clear from this is like he was like the precursor to It's okay, these racist right wing clowns are buffoons, so they're harmless, Like that's a you know, the whole Trump like thing, and they're like, oh, Okay, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know that. I think that's really what like Andrew, because what do you say to like, this guy's plotting to murder me, Like you're like, yeah, well, thank thank god he was a dipshit. You know, I don't think that's.
Speaker 3: A bad receeoning. Yeah you don't think so.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I mean not from the guy targeted, right, Yeah, maybe I think it's bad that all these other people downplayed him and like wrote these positive articles about it. If you're Anderson in this just being like, yeah, well he was moron, I don't know. I don't think as the victim, I think that it's not a bad response. I get what you're saying. I just don't want to, like, I don't want to like put the broader media's complicity in Liddy on this dude who was.
Speaker 2: Like oh is no, yeah, sorry, I was trying to say the other one, which is, yeah, the media, I mean, like even the Letterman thing. Right, It's like it's like the same as this Jimmy fallon with Trump, And ultimately it's because it's like, yes, they're racist, like fas, they're racist fascists, but at least they're harmless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, No, I get what you're saying, and that is something going on here, you know, speaking of the early nineteen nineties. You know what really became much more of a problem starting in the early nineteen nineties the presence of advertising, unrestricted ads. Yeah, that that really really got a lot worse in the nineties. Ah, we're back better than ever, I think so the early nineties, and which the power of talk radio really starts to make itself undeniable. Rush Limbaugh, who we have discussed in detail in another series on this show, was the avatar of this new wave of media right. Rush is really like the big He's not the first, obviously mean that guys like father Kauflin in the thirties and shit were right wing media radio figures. Rush is the first, really like guy to figure out, in the modern sense, how is talk radio going to revitalize the far right. It should not be surprising, then, that he played a crucial role in bringing g. Gordon Lyddy to the airwaves. From an article in the right wing paper Washington Examiner quote, he was asked to fill in for a vacationing talk show host in the New York area on the first day, he arrived at with a cold and his voice failed him. Down the hall, Conservative host Rush Limbaugh had just finished broadcasting his national show and heard the g man struggling over the nation speakers. He didn't know me from Adam, but he came in, sat down and carried me for the rest of the program, that he says on the second day, media mobile Mel Karmezan was in his limo listening to competing radio stations in New York and was wowed by Liddy's blunt approach and told his Washington station, WJFK, to give the former Nicks and ad an audition, which quickly led to a job and a long career on the radio. When Gordon started at WJFK in nineteen ninety two, he tried an unusual approach. He read news stories from the conservative press on air. I just wanted to get the information out there, and it worked, he said in amazement. So that's a very anadyninge way of describing his show and what he does. My description would be that Lyddy's show was one of the most hateful radio programs to ever hit the airwaves. If you are a real head for extremist politics. You will note that in the early nineteen nineties when Liddy started, this is a period in which the militia program in this country was supercharged, first by Ruby Ridge than by Waco. All of this culminates in the Oklahoma City bombings. Lyddy leans into the violence of this era because it's anti government and there's a and Democrats are the ones in office. Right. He makes jokes about like using drawings of the President and the First Lady for target practice because he knows that's going to cause a hubbub. And then when it gets angry and the White House makes a statement, you know, he gets to respond to it. It puts his name in the papers. He is very much playing in the same way that like his predator or the people who follow him will play the same playbook. When he gets questioned about it, he says, I thought, he said, I thought it might improve my aim. It didn't. Having said that, I accept no responsibility for somebody shooting up the White House, very very very blatantly being that kind of guy. Now this inspires an angry response from the White House. Clinton references Liddy when he complains about loud and angry voices spreading hate on the airwaves in the wake of the Oklahoma City bombing. While the President denied he was calling out Lyddy in particular, the g man took it personally, and he said this the next day on his show, as related by The Washington Post, it's the president who lies and is deliberately misrepresenting facts. Liddy declared it was he Lyddy who or in last summer about the increasing animosity towards the federal government for taking away our Second Amendment rights. Now, Lyddy denies that his frequent manic warnings that federal agents were coming to confiscate guns had any influence on the intellectual climate that culminated in the bombing of the Mora Building in Oklahoma City. I will say the arguments he makes in this period are more complicated than some of his later takes, because when he is attacking the ATF and the FBI, those agencies have a shitload of blood on their hands. Right, people should be angry about Waco, They should be angry about Ruby Ridge. You know, like awful things were done by incompetent and like unaccountable federal agents. In both of those cases, and in a number of other cases. And Lyddy. I think part of how he builds his following is that, like, he's not totally wrong when he says stuff like what I'm about to read you. If they smash in un announced, screaming at you and assault you with leal methal force, you have two choices, Liddy said. You can die under their bullets, or you can shoot back and try to defend your wife and family. If there were ring flak jackets, don't shoot them there, shoot them in the head. So yeah, and this is he also tells if you're not good enough to shoot in the head, shoot him in the groin. What's interesting here is that like this is both like I'm not I'm not unsympathetic to the idea that if the Feds are going to kill you, you know you go down fighting, right, not always wrong. This is also terrible advice from like a gun standpoint, because a flak jacket doesn't stop rifle rounds, not in any way, shape or form. So this wouldn't really matter if you're anyway whatever.
Speaker 2: It's just this is a guy that just thinks movie bulletproof vests exist. Oh yeah, he's never bet in combat.
Speaker 1: He doesn't know anything realistically. This is also isn't This gets a lot of people get angry at him for this because they're like, he's telling people to shoot cops. I think here's usable advice. Like any untrained person if you're like, hey, what should you do if you have to defend yourself against a guy who has armor? Was he like, well, I guess you try to shoo him in the head, right, duh? Like that's not we're not talking about Like, that's not that's not secret operator information only the seals. No, Right, that's that's pretty basic shit. I think literally one hundred percent of people could could could guess that, right.
Speaker 3: Yea, he is not.
Speaker 1: He's not walking you through how to build a trip mine or set up close circuit surveillance cameras on independent power so you can like see when the FEDS are coming and defend yourself. He's being like, you shoot him in the hood if they're wearing armor. Well, fucking duh, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like well it's also like like this, I mean, yeah, the way the FBI like birthed this whole movement because they started doing the shit they've been doing to like people of color for years, to white people and all of a sudden, Yeah, the whole right Way movement is like, oh, massively government now.
Speaker 1: And it's this also, like the fact that the media has this like outrage over him saying this feeds into his mystique, builds his fan base, when like, the reality is, is he inciting violence against federal agents? I don't know, not more than the federal agents were when they did the shit at Waco. And realistically, nothing he's telling anyone is creating additional danger. I don't actually think in this case he really now. I think the fact that he is continuing to try to amp people up about you know, the new world orders coming, Your guns are getting stolen, you know, the government's going to put you all in camps. To that extent, yes, he is contributing to a climate of violence that costs a lot of people their lives. But I think that the way the media drills in on this specific statement about shooting cops in the head, oh sure when they attack you, is silly. That's not the thing to be angry at here. The thing to be angry at here is the broader climate of paranoia he's stoking, not the fact that he is. Because whenever he when he was talking about this when you're saying, like, if the Fed's come for you, here's what you do. He was citing real stories of federal agents busting into people's homes and like killing their pets and shit, which like you should be angry about anyway. I think that part of the response to him, and the fact that it never It's always the same thing with Alex Jones, right, Alex will say something silly about like turning the fucking shit, turning the frogs gay, and that always gets a laugh. Or he'll talk about cannibalism, or he'll make some kind of violent threat and that'll get in the airwaves and it'll bring more people to him. He does this very consciously now he knows if he says something crazy, it'll get covered by a bunch of very lazy media figures who will take it out of context and they will not report on the act. And in fact, whenever he winds up in actual court, they usually try to give him the benefit of the doubt more than they ought to, as opposed to really understanding the contexts of the actual danger of the stuff he is inciting. And the silly stuff is not really part of that. It's just how he advertises himself, and you're helping him advertise, right. That's that's kind of how I feel about this shit with Liddy, so because he's not completely in the wrong when he gets angry at the Feds. Here, I want to move ahead, you know about fifteen years to a period in which g Gordon there's no benefit of the doubt that you can give the man. This is after nine to eleven. And you know, nine to eleven didn't make anyone a better person, but G Gordon Liddy becomes a full fledged fucking bigot in public. I think this has always been a part of him, obviously, but the shit he says after nine to eleven is pretty vile. And here's one clip from twenty ten.
Speaker 8: I've got a Jewish angle I wish to express this morning, since you've decided to This is his co host the first segment of this program.
Speaker 3: Mister Liddy.
Speaker 9: No, I thought you're going to say I was being casual about your religion.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, not at all.
Speaker 5: I never think you're being casual about religion of any kind, even Islam.
Speaker 3: I don't think you're being terribly casual about.
Speaker 10: No, I'm not casual at all. About Islam. I'm I want to go over here and take that come out.
Speaker 1: So that's not and this I grab these from Media Matters. Thank you Media Matters for collecting this. It's kind of hard with old radio broadcasts. Otherwise he's not talking there about like terrorists. He's talking about Muslim's period. He wants to murder Muslims period. Which again, a lot of guys saying shit like this in the post nine to eleven era, but it's important to especially as Goofy as he sounds, listen to what a fucking vile bigoty is when he has a platform of his own where he can say any thing. So I want to play you another clip. Here's him talking with a listener in Texas about the border and all of the Third worlders who are, in his view, repopulating.
Speaker 5: The country and uh, and so now we have this huge population. But it's but the America is not being repopulated by Americans. It's being repopulated by people who do not share our values.
Speaker 11: Well, they don't share share our values or our language, or our culture or anything like that at all. The there was a book back then written called the Population Bomb. And oh you're also you know, we're all supposed to starve to death because there's going to be so many people, right, and uh, we're getting our vast numbers. You know, people see you saying, well Hispanics, Well, all that means is Spanish speakers. You know the Conquistadores who came over from Spain, uh into you know, the south of the border down there and conquered it. You know, they were tall, fair people, and there are still some of their descendants down there, but the vast majority of more Indians, right, the short squat and uh, you know, little Indians.
Speaker 1: So that's great, Yeah, that's great. That's great replacement ship.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 1: You know, this is the stuff that is now very mainstream. Lyddy was one of the first guys who had real Republican Party connections who was deliberately airring and repeatedly talking this is more than a decade ago great placement narratives on the radio in the post nine to eleven era. Right. He is much more direct about this than even Limbaugh often was, and that is very much important because that is like the chief Nazi talking point that guys like Stephen Miller have been very very successful at putting into the mainstream conservatism in this point, it's to the fact that it is now a normal stance for them. And yeah, Lyddy is one of the guys who helped start that process. So speaking of Lyddy being a literal Nazi, by now here is him playing a fucking Nazi documentary about replacement theory on the air during his fucking show. First, we're going to listen just to a chunk of that documentary.
Speaker 9: Here's a special request research.
Speaker 8: In order for a culture to maintain itself for more than twenty five years, there must be a fertility rate of two point one point one children per vamily. With anything less, the culture will decline. Historically, no culture has ever reversed a one point nine fertility rate. A rate of one point three impossible to reverse because it would take eighty to one hundred years to correct itself, and there is no economic model that can sustain a culture during that time.
Speaker 9: Did my part? I had five.
Speaker 8: Children, sets of parents each had one christ there are half as many children as parents. If those children have one child, then there are one fourth as many grandchildren as grandparents. If only a million babies are born in two thousand and six, it's hard to have two million adults in out course in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Again, this is all stuff that in part relies on you don't want anyone new coming in, you want to kick everything white, right, there's plenty of people, no shortage of people. The fact that like, yeah, anyway, this whole demographic decline thing very much a fucking straight up knot. The argument based on I want everyone to look like white people that I remember growing up next to as a kid.
Speaker 3: The the idea.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know, it's just like they're like shitty rhetoric, but they're like the like alighting culture and race is you know, clumsy, but I know it works with these people.
Speaker 1: So it works with these dummies. It's very bad. This goes on that clip he's playing from that fucking literal just Nazi shit goes on for five more minutes, and then Lyddy comes back in and he's got he's got something to say. It's time to wake up.
Speaker 9: Boy. What we need is redex I guess, g man.
Speaker 10: And then there's something you can sprinkle down and they take it back into their pole and the rest of the colony gets you know, they need it too. You're referring to ambro antlock mister.
Speaker 1: So he's laughing in a grandfatherly fashion there about using animal poison to kill non white people.
Speaker 2: It's also like, listen every time conservatives complain about like, oh, we never like the liberal media won't let our comedy shows be on the air, it's also because this is as good as it like, you know, gut Fieled is the new version of this, and it's like, yeah, the other reason there's never like sustained conservative comedy is because it's not funny, because.
Speaker 1: Your only joke is what if we did what the Nazis did?
Speaker 10: Ha ha ha.
Speaker 1: But I'm not a Nazi haha haa, but what if we did? Like that is the whole joke. That's the whole bit. That's all they have. So Lyddy is predictably horrified by the campaign and presidency of Barack Obama. Not a big surprise, but that that is also it's not just nine to eleven. That is also part of what makes him increasingly open about his just straight up Nazi shit.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 1: He states on Twitter quote it's a dirty shame kids in Kenya were not taught how to throw a baseball like a man in a direct reference to the then growing conspiracy theory about the former president's place of birth. I should have looked up whether or not. I didn't want to, like fact check like is, because you know, a lot of countries weirdly are into baseball. I don't know if Kenya is or not, because I didn't want to feel like it was probably worse to just like lend that any sort of credence.
Speaker 3: But whatever it wasn't Wasn't Kenya a British colony that'd be in a cricket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're probably probably more cricket.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 1: Japan was is weirdly into baseball, which is why I say it, right, and like the best baseball player in history now like a Japanese Yeah, guy, that's that's that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Japan's ox ox ophilia.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You never know when a country is gonna be weird. I always I found you. I feel like this happened a couple of times where you'd be like, oh, I wouldn't have picked them as being like super into baseball because it's our worst cultural export, right, The most boring thing that America ever gave the world is fucking baseball. Sorry, guys, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, yes, Great Britain till the sixties.
Speaker 1: Till the sixties. Yeah, oh, I mean yeah, they did like a genocide there, the mau Maunt Rebellion, but people in concentration camps right in the post wood to Nightmare Nightmare stuff doesn't really tie in other than that, I'm sure g Gordon Lyddy thinks it was awesome. So you know what he's doing here by bringing this up. This is like a clear reference to the then growing conspiracy theory that President Obama was secretly born in Kenya. Right. Lyddy is a full backer of that, along with future President Donald Trump. On an episode of the TV news show Hardball, he makes even more direct statements on this matter. In two thousand and nine. This one's something else. This is all a available Gordon. Here it is He's this is a picture of the actual birth certificate of the former president.
Speaker 11: Well, I would like to check it out. The preponderance of the evidence is as follows. You've got a deposition, which is a sworn statement from the step grandmother who says I was present and saw him born in Mombasa, Kenya. You've got the certificate of live birth that they that they have here it's not a birth certificate, says right on a certificate of live birth.
Speaker 1: Would you claim he was born in the Kenyan slums? You say that as a fact on.
Speaker 9: The hospital in Mombasa. I didn't say Kenyan slum.
Speaker 1: What a difference, Chris, Chris, I mean in which hospital Mambasa?
Speaker 3: I mean I've been over.
Speaker 1: There's so many times. Where is this all this happened?
Speaker 11: If you have a whole history of this fell in Kenya, do you have any evidence that ever happened.
Speaker 9: Whatever that he was born in Kenyona? Yeah, I've got the deposition of the steph grandmother. He said she witnessed it.
Speaker 3: Okay, your witness, your witness.
Speaker 1: Now, look, there's no deposition. It doesn't exist. He is lying about having it produced. What he was really what he like said later is that like, well, we're working on getting it, getting access to it, but I know it exists. It was never real. Like it does not exist. It's just lies. He's just a liar. In two thousand and nine, journalists Una Lee and Laura Ling were arrested by North Korean soldiers while filming a documentary on the China North Korea border. Both women were charged with a legal entry and sentenced to twelve years hard labor. Now it just so happens that Laura's sister, Lisa Ling, worked on the Oprah Winfrey Show, and understandably she used every piece of cloud that she had to try to get the US government to take action on saving her sister. After a week's long campaign, the government succeeded in negotiating with No Korea to get the women back. Former President Clinton traveled to Pyongyang to do the handoff in August of two thousand and nine, after both women had been captive for one hundred and forty days. This is something Clinton did before. I think he actually goes in and helps with negotiations to free Americans North Crea. I think there's a couple of situations he does that, and also stuff like this. Former presidents in the modern era have often kind of done stuff like this, Right, you don't want to have the president to do it whatever, but like there's this understanding that they are kind of representative, that it is a way that the government cannot maybe directly deal with a country that we have a fraught relationship with, while also still this is a figure of respect, you know, if that's important for your negotiations. Not a really weird thing to do. It also should be pretty apolitical. These women were not doing anything wrong. This should not reasonably be a thing that anyone has an issue with. Right, Someone's got to go get them, thank God. Right, Like that should be the end of it. G Gordon Liddy, when he covers this, decide to spend his time discussing it making a very racist joke. And we're gonna play that now.
Speaker 10: All right, ladies and gentlemen, those u two young girls who may or may not have strayed into North Korea got arrested.
Speaker 9: I have something like ling Lay and wee Wie whatever their names are.
Speaker 1: So haha, people who aren't white have names I think are funny. That's the bay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's yeah again. Maybe conservative comedy would do better if they found another joke.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I'm putting all this to you like rapid fire because I want to. I want to inoculate you against thinking g Gordon Lyddy is anything but scum, because you can when you follow his kind of like sillier funnier bits, you can forget that. And this man is a fucking fascist, Like he's a terrible person. He should have never been let out of a dark hole in the ground. Don't let's not forget that. That said, we are going to move on now and we are going to play a much more fun video because during you know, g Gordon Liddy, he's one of the pioneers of right wing media and there is you know, this is evident primarily in his commitment to reaching new levels of shadiness and advertising. While he insulted the normal station sponsors as crafts consumerism, he was happy to become a personal pitchman for a whole line of health supplements. He's one of the first of these right wing guys sung like weight loss and exercise supplements. He really pioneers that. And he is also a pioneer in selling gold. Oh yeah, guys, are you ready to watch a G. Gordon Liddy gold commercial?
Speaker 3: I'm excited?
Speaker 1: Ah yeah, fuck yes, let's play it.
Speaker 10: You're to pick amy, she's still getting ready, come in.
Speaker 9: How do you plan on supporting my granddaughter? Young man?
Speaker 3: I'm only seventeen, sir.
Speaker 5: What can provide her with the brightest future home? Wrong?
Speaker 1: Gold gold.
Speaker 5: It's never too early or too late to secure your future with gold. Gold is always valuable liquid as smart by as you might ever make. Who do your trusts on Roslyn Capital?
Speaker 9: That'so. Roslyn Capital is more than just so cold.
Speaker 5: They give you expert advice on how to secure your.
Speaker 3: Face is so creepy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, old, where I buy mine? Rosslyn Capital to the your free guide to owning gold?
Speaker 12: Many young man, what's the most important thing to remember.
Speaker 3: To secure my future with gold through Rosin Capitol?
Speaker 12: No, to make sure Amy's back by eleven pll Roslin Capital and tell them Gordon Liddy sent.
Speaker 3: You incredible not to kill back the curtain.
Speaker 2: But uh, the YouTube clip that did treads should into the contemporary version of that bullshit? Yeah, newer go that that's a colloidal silver ap Oh yeah, silver at the same bullshit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but isn't it like you eat it or drink it or put it up your butt for Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's the same like supplement like unusable. I mean, yeah, it's not surprising that YouTube is also just the right wing media, but Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is so funny.
Speaker 3: She'd probably do another break.
Speaker 1: Speaking of supplements, help help us supplement our income by buying these products and services. We love you. I don't actually love them. Guys, don't tell oh my god, we've come back from break. I didn't mean that. I didn't mean that. I didn't mean that. I didn't mean that. Oh boy, oh fuck, oh fuck. Okay. Ian is going to take a hop off right now to research whether or not it's possible to edit audio while I guess, I guess, Andrew you and I will just power through the rest of this year.
Speaker 2: Fuck yeah, yeah, yeah, well, yeah, good thing. Evil Robert left because yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was evil. That's brilliant, brilliant. Ian, remember that for next time. Got it?
Speaker 3: You got him out of the studio.
Speaker 1: Finally, Yeah, Evil Roberts left. I would never say anything like that to you wonderful people. So, despite being an execrable human being, g Gordon Liddy continued to be in demand among the Hollywood set, who were always willing to ignore his bigotry and calls for genocide because he was funny and always good for some buzz Lyddy acted in a number of films. He is I Think He's the villain in Camp Cuckamonga. He's in Adventures in Spying. He makes appearances on mcguiver, Airwolf, Super Wo Force, and Al Franken's late line to name just a few. He's in a lot of docs too, DoD documentaries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is like exhibit A on this bullshit that, like the entertainment industry is quote liberal, like it's pluralistic because it's profitable. But they fucking people in charge of this industry at least love a fucking pigot.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely can't get enough of them. Put him on Al Franken's show Wild Sad that he's an Airwolf, although I take some comfort in knowing that the helicopter from air Wolf was later bought by a pervert who had sex with it. Heah, that makes me feel a lot better. Yeah, So none of this comes close to Lyddy's crowning achievement in Hollywood, his two thousand and six appearance on Joe Rogan's Fear Factor. To be specific, this is celebrity Fear Factor, and Lyddia makes his appearance here along a heavy serving of washed up celebrities from mostly like the seventies and eighties. His chief competition on the episode is Leif Garrett. Does anyone here remember Leaf Garrett? Yeah, that's fine, because he's not he barely I don't even know that I'd call him a celebrity. He'd put out some albums in like the seventies, nobody alive remembers any of them now. Visually. The most fascinating thing about this episode is that everyone else is like from like their twenties or so thirties to fifty, and Lydia is seventy five years old and looks looks like I mean, he doesn't aged badly. He was always in pretty good shape, but like looks like he's an elderly man next to everybody, which is interesting, fascinating mix here. So I'm going to play you his introduction from the start of this episode is when they're all like, everybody's walking on set.
Speaker 9: I've lived a pretty full competitive life.
Speaker 10: Age has not prevented me from doing anything so far, and you people put me through all kinds of medical tests before you let me on the show, and I passed him with flying color. So that's a.
Speaker 1: Oda.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the absolute cowardice of chiroting him with Watergate figure.
Speaker 1: Watergate figure yeah, yeah from which side of Watergate?
Speaker 3: Who knows could be anyone.
Speaker 1: Looks like if Hitler had survived and it's like World War two figure. Yeah, notable person from a second World War conflict, World War two veteran, Yeah, well known Nazi.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the basics of this show are that people are paired up into teams, all of them celebrities in this instance, and they have to endure a set of physically unpleasant and at least faux dangerous challenges together. The winner gets fifty thousand dollars. Lyddy is paired up with the actress who played Vanessa Huxtable from The Cosby Show. It's just a wild, wild thing to have happened in the world. Joe Rogan, a very young Joe Rogan, is clearly in awe of Lyddy, and he gives it. Really tells you a lot about how much Joe Rogan understands about the world. His every almost every word of his introduction is wrong. He tells several lies about the man, and Lyddy does not correct him, just smiles and nods. So here we go, Temmis.
Speaker 13: You realize who you've partnered with. He was second to j Edgar Hoover. This guy was in the Korean War. This is the only castrom we've ever had that's in the encyclopedia. Yes, do you did like burn your hand with a candle to prove that you could endure pain.
Speaker 9: Actually it was a cigarette lighter. I don't know where the candle light from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the candle. A good part about him, him and me, we've both been in jail.
Speaker 9: He was very good part about I don't know, but you know I was. I was in jail a lot longer than him, in jail four five years.
Speaker 13: G Gordon, Once you explained everybody, did you go to jail four?
Speaker 10: I got nine different fellows.
Speaker 9: Let's see, there's.
Speaker 3: Burglary, all related to Watergate, related to the Watergate. Yeah, everything were guilty.
Speaker 9: Of course it was guilty.
Speaker 3: That wasn't guilty enough. I was in detention once.
Speaker 11: Did you go?
Speaker 9: She I used to be in the FBI, so I know his rep sheet.
Speaker 6: You know what they got him for impersonating a human being.
Speaker 3: She's making jokes, joke, This is g. Gordon Seinfeld.
Speaker 1: So to everybody laugh and look at how funny this fucking monster is. Also everything Joe says, there is fucking wrong. He was never the second, He was never that high in the FBI. He was certainly not Jay Edgar Hoover's second, and he did not participate in any way in the Korean War. He is he is like a he is a Korean War era veteran in that he was around then. But it would be like if you had an uncle who spent his two years or whatever in military service, like sitting at like like fucking cleaning and maintaining vehicles at a fucking truck pool in North Dakota. But it was during the Vietnam War. He's a Vietnam era veteran, but that's not calling him a Saying he's a nom vet would be like, well, no, no, he's not. He didn't never leave the country. He did not do any any Vietnam stuff. G. Gordon Liddy was not part of the Korean War.
Speaker 2: Classic right wing shit. You know, yeah, I said, Joe Rogan's research stoke.
Speaker 1: Joe Rogan was. He was like, he's so xightly excited. He's so we'll talk about why, because I think it's interesting why I believe Joe Rogan is so into this guy and what it says about Joe and what it says about that kind of dude who make up a significant chunk of the male population unfortunately, but like you see how they fall for it. Right, like instantly everyone's on board. Liddy's a fairly charismatic guy. He understands how to present himself around people. He's good at this. This is a skill, right that is kind of worth noting when we look at him. I think this episode really does show how savvy Liddy had become by this stage in his life. While the other male celebrities are boisterous and kind of chauvinistic, he is quiet. He's reserved. He feeds into his reputation by being quite saying less is more, and he understands that. He's also supportive and kind of fatherly to his young female partner. He's like very very nice to her in a way that like a lot of the they're in on the show or a lot cruder, which I do find interesting. And he just comes from the fact that he is. He has these He has these more old fashioned ideas of like how you should behave paternalistically when he wins. He wins the first challenge, which like is this weird bungee diving game into a pool where you have to grab objects, and it seems to reinforce his reputation as some kind of superman, considering how much older he is than everybody else. The second challenge is where things get interesting. His partner quits because everyone asks to like sit in these tiny diving bell like compartments that are pressurized, and then first it's pumped full of foul smelling, sulfurous odors, so it's like you're trapped in a big ball of arts. And then it's heated up to an uncomfortable level so that you're like sweating, and then like they pour insects and stuff in, so you have to deal with being covered in maggots and shit. It's all stuff that's like gross and unsettling. It's not really a danger, right. They do shock people with like little, very light kind of cattle prod versions at one point. Everyone else is miserable during this and complains constantly and is like horrified his things get gross. Lyddy just sits there quietly with like his legs folded and endures the whole thing with this almost beatific smile on his face. Here's the segment where the bug shower begins. Lyddy is just sitting there.
Speaker 3: No, not what please just it's John. Are you angry with her?
Speaker 11: John?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: But I am gus you blame it on me. I did I quit joke.
Speaker 4: I'm not blaming it on you.
Speaker 3: I'm not just because I told her I was scream It's natural.
Speaker 13: I say the beginning said I'm gonna scream, but I'm not gonna quit Tracy.
Speaker 3: You know, g go.
Speaker 4: This is the only that I'll ever know.
Speaker 3: We've done.
Speaker 11: Wow.
Speaker 13: Unfortunately, I know I knew I wasn't gonna get to the next chair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's wee definitely advanced. Now it's just to see who wins the choppers.
Speaker 3: Take care, guys.
Speaker 1: There's two motorcycles for whoever wins this. Yeah, and Lyddy wins them. By the way, shouldn't surprise you if you know anything about him. This is another thing that he is definitely good at, is endurance.
Speaker 3: Right, absolutely built for this.
Speaker 1: There's no skill that is you don't. He doesn't have to accomplish anything. He doesn't have to like think anything through. He just has to sit and endure an experience that he knows is not really dangerous, right.
Speaker 4: Like lighting his hand on fire for fun. Yeah, and everybody already thinks he's a bad as in his mind, the job is done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's done real prison, right, Like it's not hard to sit in a diving bell type thing for a few an hour or to whatever be around on some bugs like, especially when you've had that experience in her life. At one point, Leif Garrett tries to see if you can talk Lyddy out of staying in the pod, and Lyddy says one of the few wantest things he was ever recorded saying, who.
Speaker 3: Gets the choppers? Hey?
Speaker 14: Gee, you know what does you don't want a chopper? There got nothing to do with the choppers. I just don't for that a boy. Well, we'll see you at the end.
Speaker 9: My red. This was clearly going to be an endurance situation.
Speaker 3: I can endure anything.
Speaker 15: After spending one hundred and twenty six days in solitary confinement, being in a pod was not disturbing to me. Been covered by thousands of cockroaches when I was in a filthy prison. So a few maggots and just brushed them away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think he's lying there. Obviously he's not lying there. He does well at this. He wins two very ugly motorcycles. I'm going to guess he sold them. They're hideous.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 1: The final stunt of the day is a driving test with a car on a stunt track. There's they're obstacles and stuff. It's like you knows there will be some fire and shit. Lyddy is supposed to drive around and through the obstacles, and he he spends a lot of time bragging about his FBI training and action driving, like talking about like, well, I've got FBI training, and I think I know what I'm doing. And then this is the truest g Gordon Liddy. He brags about his FBI driving skills and then gets in the truck and immediately crashes, just just instantly drives it into a building. And here's that clip.
Speaker 5: Whoever breaks down?
Speaker 2: He hate obstacle golf and completes the cars the fastest lens.
Speaker 5: And pray, who what.
Speaker 10: He's on.
Speaker 3: I'll see if that training helps.
Speaker 14: A long time ago man, I think he was a faster than him.
Speaker 3: Man picking up his bead.
Speaker 1: He lasts. All of his vaunted FBI training allows him to stay on the stunt driving test half as long as Leaf Garrett. That's what g Gordon Letty's real skills bring to the table. Half as good at driving as fucking Leaf Garrett.
Speaker 3: Oh Man delightfully weird holy shit.
Speaker 1: It is very weird and this is the you know, I don't know. I debated whether or not to go on this little rant afterwards, but I kept thinking about what this means, what Joe's fascination with him means, and kind of the rest of what I know about Joe Rogan, what he sees his masculinity as heroism. I've been thinking about all these questions a lot as I've been going through these the episodes, and I keep coming back to I keep being reminded of and thinking of my grandfather in this, because I think the difference between the two men as I knew them says a lot about the difference between particularly these kind of like mainstream conservative ideas about what it means to be a man, what it means to be brave. And these are not just conservative, these are deeply American ideas, deeply flawed ideas versus.
Speaker 3: You could argue that that is that's concerned the same diff.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, And I think versus what I would describe as what actually is heroism and bravery, I think is really worth digging into. So if you'll forgive me, I'm going to talk about my grandpa a little bit here. Yeah, you've all learned about g. Gordon Liddy. My grandfather was I think about ten years older than him. Unlike Lyddy. Lyddy even talks about who is very insulated from the Great Depression. My grandfather was poor. He came from a farming family. He is able to get a job with the Civilian Conservation Corps, which is part of the deal. FDR had established this organization to hire out of workmen and have them do stuff like this is where a lot of our parks come from, right is the CCC guys build them and stuff. You know, all these young men who didn't have anything else to keeps these guys fed, keeps them from starving. My grandpa does this for years, and the money he gets, you know, every paycheck he would buy a cart and of cigarettes and he'd send every dime outside of that back to his family to help keep his brothers and his mom and dad fed. Nineteen thirty nine or so rolls around. He becomes very aware of Hitler and what's happening in Europe. He becomes convinced that the US is going to get into the war. He knows that his brothers will wind up fighting, and as the oldest brother. He thinks that he should join first in order to hopefully try and spare them from some of that. So he joins the military a year or so before the US gets involved. He's one of these guys who I think people kind of naturally wanted to follow, and so he becomes a drill sergeant. He spends most of World War Two training other men for combat, and repeatedly he feels that he needs to fight, especially again one of his brothers, his younger brother, the tallest of the family, winds up in a unit that's going to be seeing heavy combat. He's going to be part of the Normandy landing. So my grandfather pushes and pushes and gets assigned to a unit that's going to be part of the invasion. He gets pulled out of it at the last minute. And the story I was always told is that when they were at one of the disembarkation points, it was really chaotic. My grandpa, being this kind of drill sergeant dude who feels this inherent responsibility towards other people, starts going around and like dressing everybody's lines, sorting out their gear, organizing things. He was just kind of that man. Compulsively, and one of the officers running the operation sees him doing this and is like, you're not going anywhere, Garland. We need someone like you here. So he is forced to stay back home while his brother and a lot of his friends go over and a lot of them don't come back. His brother gets shot in the head outside of Bastone, survives, but is never really the same after this, and you know, he stays in the army. After World War Two, he winds up fighting in Korea. He's there, he was actually because the unit he was with was stationed normally in Hawaii. He was on his way with my grandma and their kids to go live there. They were moving there, and he gets diverted as they're heading over. My grandma's left alone to take care of the family. He winds up spending however long basically the extent of the Korean War in Korea. And he starts off as he's a sergeant, I think maybe a staff sergeant when the war begins, and sergeants, you know, enlisted in officers are two different things. You don't go from enlisted to an officer normally because they're two fundamentally different career tracks. My Grandpa goes starts the war as a sergeant and ends it as a major, which is like a higher up officer. This normally doesn't happen. What occurs during the war is that everyone above him dies so consistently that he winds up taking their jobs, and he gets given temporary rank that is then later made confirmed as permanent because he's good at it, and he is running field hospitals on the strength of an eighth grade education. By the time the war ends, he won. I think it was either bronze or a silver star. The one thing I know that he really did specifically was this moment where there was a bunch of guys I think twenty or so US soldiers pinned down and injured underneath this bridge and they were trapped. There were two machine gun nests that had direct lines of sight and were just firing directly into these guys. We had very little cover. They didn't have artillery support on the line, they didn't have air cover. There weren't really assets available in this area of the line of contact to get them out. So my grandpa grabs one of his friends and they drive a jeep through two machine guns firing at them. The jeep gets shot full of holes, they both get injured, and then while still under fire ode He described it as stacking them like firewood, twenty men into the back of this jeep and then drives them out while getting shot the entire time to rescue them. Warrens, you know, he quits the military eventually and spends the rest of his career he runs all of the hospitals in Okinawa, Japan for fifteen years or so. And you know, these are like triosh units and stuff, so a lot of people who are really messed up wind up going there. And again all of this on like the strength of an eighth grade education. And the thing, you know, we got to know a couple of the dudes who had served with my grandpa, you know again later on when they were all old men. There was one conversation that's really stuck with me, which is one of my guys, my Grandpa's, like the guys serving under him, was like, you know, Garland, how did you you know? The thing that was always interested it was always amazing to me, is no matter how bad shit got, you were never scared. And my Grandpa's response was, oh, I was shitting my pants. The whole time. I just couldn't let any of you know how scared I was right. And I know that was long digression. I apologize. But the thing that makes me think of when I think about Lyddy.
Speaker 3: G.
Speaker 1: Gordon Liddy's entire concept of courage was as an individual doing something dangerous to prove your manhood. And he was psyched to get a chance to go to prison for Richard Nixon, no matter what it cost his family, because it meant he got to prove he wasn't, in his mind, a coward. And I contrast that with what my grandpa's life experience tells me. He viewed as the meaning of courage of being a man, and it was never taking a student, it was never throwing himself into danger. It was care. His entire life was an exercise in caring for the people around him and the weight of responsibility first to his brothers, to his family, to his country, to the world. You know, when he joined for World War Two, to the men around him. Throughout his period of service, he was never doing anything to be a hero. He was acting consistently and no matter what it cost him, to save lives, to protect people. And I think that's the difference between what heroism means to someone who has been through some of the worst experiences. You can see what bravery means, what doing the right thing is versus what these children, and I include Joe Rogan as a mental child, believe courage is. Joe Rogan is so impressed, Wow, looked at him, me so tough. He can have bugs poured on him, and shit, fucking Joe wouldn't know courage if it jumped up and bit him in the fucking ass. Courage is taking care of people, even when it means harm and sacrifice on your own behalf. Courage is not sitting in a fucking sphere while people pore bugs on you, and it's not sitting in a prison to protect Dick Nixon while you're family suffers. Anyway, that's my rant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wells, yeah, it's not just that, and he like doesn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole concept of masculinity is like it's so sad, like we just yeah, did it need any of this to happen? And the way it harms like its worst like perpetrators as well, is so fucked up. We're just like, guys, none of this, none of this is necessary. None of this has to be like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, anyway, yeah right. G Gordon Lyddy lived a fifteen years after fear Factor. He lives to be ninety. He dies in the spring of twenty twenty one in his daughter's house after struggling for several years with Parkinson's, which is also what got my grandfather. By the way, he lived long enough to see the rise of Donald Trump and January sixth, although by that point he was mostly out of the spotlight. He also lived, interestingly enough long enough to see one son, Raymond Liddy, sentenced to five years probation for storing a cash of child pornography in his Coronado home. So one of the suns he raised is a child porn Officionado. His other son is better Tom Liddy has a more auspicious career as a lawyer, where he represented Mericopa County during a twenty twenty lawsuit with the Trump campaign over what it claimed were falsified ballots. Liddy succeeded in getting the case dismissed, which earned him to an avalanche of death threats from Trump people. So the Lyddies, the Liddies contain multitudes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although you know what the way that they don't is like, you know, don't there's just a world where like that was my job, that's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. And I don't think he's a great perer. I'm sure he's not a great I don't know. Yeah, maybe maybe he is, right, I don't know. I don't know specifically that he isn't either. I guess, Yes, why am I casting dispersions?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why why am I shit talking? Because he can't be he can't be held responsible for his dance sucking. So yeah, that's me being a little bit of a dick. I have no reason. I know nothing about him other than this, and that was not a bad thing to do.
Speaker 3: So there, you know, right, holy shit, what fuck it. I'm glad we got to finish the take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was the right call. Yeah.
Speaker 3: What a life?
Speaker 1: What a life? What a weird fucked up what a weird, fucked up miserable less Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: No, And I guess that's the thing. It's like none of the lessons will ever be learned, Like even this, no one listening to this is not no one, But you know, they're not susceptible in the same way to whatever the fuck he has going on. He and Joe Rogan have going on.
Speaker 1: Anyway, you need to plug Andrew?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I mean, you know, you know, is this racist?
Speaker 2: We're not as well researched, but we're just not as well researched.
Speaker 3: Kind of the same vibe though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so uh there you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I uh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm tired. We're done.
Speaker 2: We're all going to going on. We're all going to go get into our diving bells. I just meditate for a couple of hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Phil, Yeah, just ponder good stuff, you know, interesting code of people might fight when I just not long ago, and you know, when I was living in Portland in twenty twenty during the riots, big part of my support system was my my technically my land lady, you know, we just kind of lived in adjacent houses, who was a Chinese citizen about my age, and we found out during like one of the early pandemic conversations when we were locked in together, that her dad, who served in the Chinese military, probably was very close to where my grandpa was during several parts of the war. One of the things she said was like, well, I don't think he was a very good shot, And I was like, well, I guess I'm buck.
Speaker 10: You're right.
Speaker 1: Neither of them got the other. That would have been real bad. But I don't know. Something hopeful on that, right. You know, that was a terrible war. A lot to say about all of the awful things that we're done in that war. But yeah, we wound up hanging out during the COVID year and supporting each other. That's nice. Yeah. So anyway, there's your moment of hope.
Speaker 2: Nothing about politics makes sense, right, nothing about politics, about history.
Speaker 1: It's all fucking yeah, yeah, yeah, shit happens anyway for real. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcast