Speaker 1: And you're seeing a different and man without want Soto. Dare I say a more balanced offense. There's certainly more athletic and they're doing a lot of the smaller things right this year.
Speaker 2: Justin Shackle joining us right now. You can hear him calling the Yankees and the Mariners. He called the Yankees and the A's as well, doing an awesome job. You can hear him on WFN on Yes Network covering the Yanks for years. First time I think on this show justin great to have you all, man, how you doing.
Speaker 3: It? Is my first time pleasure to join you guys. What's going on?
Speaker 2: Doing a great job. I love hearing the calls. Let's go backwards for a moment. How was Sacramento because that was your first Yankees game that you ever called on TV and you're calling it in such a weird environment. I know it was packed there, obviously because you know the owner of the A's loves Aaron Judge, and obviously there's plenty of Yankee fans out there.
Speaker 4: But how was that whole experience for you?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Okay, from a play by play standpoint, I was getting pcled a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no third deck.
Speaker 1: A little challenging to judge some fly balls because there's really like no background there.
Speaker 3: But overall it was it was it was fine.
Speaker 1: You know, the wind plays a factor for sure, but as far as the ballpark experience in total, it was fine. Sacramento was a really nice host city. Everybody around the ballpark was super kind. They're they're, you know, trying to make the situation as comforting as possible, and overall, I have nothing but nice things to say about you know, what we went through in Sacramento.
Speaker 3: Nice to be in Seattle though.
Speaker 5: That is a little different city than Sacramento, justin Does it count for your first game? I have a couple of course for you. First of all, how do you protect your screen when you travel? Make sure people don't see those dirty movies that you're watching while you're traveling, Because we just had a conversation about that.
Speaker 6: I don't know, I'm figuring it out.
Speaker 5: But second of all, does it count because your first game was in Sacramento and that's a minor league city, So does that count as your first big league play by play game?
Speaker 3: That's a great question.
Speaker 1: I did ask myself that I'm gonna say yes. I'm going to say it counts for sure, just to you know, add more to the Ledger. But there was there was something that I definitely felt when I walked into the Mobile Park and kind of and again like just saw the third level of a big league ballpark. And you know, I've been here the last few years with the Yankee so it was a familiar territory and it's you know, it felt good to be in Seattle. The Yankees have had a lot of success here, and you know they're rolling right now. I know, you guys just talked about their home runs. I mean, seventy four and forty one games really impressive anyway you slice it.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 5: Right, So before before we get into the actual Yankee stuff, there's a certain broadcaster that's not a Yankees's affiliate, and Dave Simms took some time off, right, and he got roasted a little bit. I have no problem with Dave Simms taking some time off. Why why did he get roasted for taking a couple of days off? I mean all broadcasters take a couple of days off.
Speaker 6: Did you see this?
Speaker 4: I did not see this. Oh no, I love Dave Simms.
Speaker 5: I love Dave Simms, but he took there was a guy who you know that kind of took some shots.
Speaker 6: It's your dream job. He justin knows what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: Was it Matt Do.
Speaker 6: I'm not going to say his name.
Speaker 4: But he gave him crap.
Speaker 5: Yes, he's like, this is Dave simms dream job, and he's already taking days off.
Speaker 6: Like, dude, everyone needs days off off.
Speaker 3: We're human, We're human, we need days off.
Speaker 2: Yes, I feeled in for him all the time. So this is I'm learning this on the fly here. I filled in for him all the time. There were two or three people when I used to work at MLB that were out all.
Speaker 6: Well, Steve's a big league broadcaster. He didn't want to go to Sacramento. Do you blame him?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: I bet he's in Seattle.
Speaker 4: Nobody calls one sixty two. That's a fact.
Speaker 6: He's a sport dominie.
Speaker 3: He could do whatever he wants. And you know, you know, need me to validate that. But we're all human. Yeah, we need days off.
Speaker 6: By the way, it's his revenge series. So Dave's gonna point this series.
Speaker 4: Dave Simms ball.
Speaker 6: That's right, that's right, all right.
Speaker 2: So let's get deeper into the Yanks right now, justin tell me what you're seeing that's working well for this team. And then also obviously on the other side of the spectrum where the concerns at. I know, we've got Freed pitching tonight. That's probably a good place to start because they nailed that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not a concern there, that's for sure. Max Freed has been everything and probably more for the Yankees, especially when Garrett Cole went down, he stepped up. I mean he is filled in the ace role as well as you could hope. For Carlos ro Don I feel like he's getting more and more comfortable with each start in year three now as a Yankee starting to see Clark Schmidt again. He started the season late last night. He pitched into the seventh inning. I think that was like the next step for him as a younger pitcher trying to find.
Speaker 3: His way in the big leagues with the type of stuff he has.
Speaker 1: It was just the second time in his career where he's posted back to back six inning outings, so you knowuring out a way for him to effectively navigate an opposing lineup the third way through. That's been a quality signed for sure. I think ultimately their biggest knee is still another starting pitcher near the back of the rotation. They're going to get Luise Heel back. He's about to begin a throwing program here, so he's got to still ramp up and do his entire spring training again. But I think the biggest need is probably starting, you know, another starting pitcher in that rotation.
Speaker 3: The offense, I know, I know Aj mentioned it.
Speaker 1: You know, when you run into great pitching when the games matter more down the stretching into October, the real test is there. But right now, the games you're playing in front of you, I think you're seeing a different and man without Wan Soto. Dare I say a more balanced offense. There's certainly more athletic and they're doing a lot of the smaller things right this year.
Speaker 7: Okay, because it's not at a highlight, but where does like everyone remembers that that inning, that inning, nothing to do with their bats, balanced line up, anything like that. How to do with their fielding? Is that the biggest because they're still kind of deficient in that area. I think they've upgraded. I think Paul gold Schmidt has helped that a lot. Because Rizzo wasn't having a great year when he was there have. Is that the one area that they can't upgrade. You can't just go and find gold at the trade deadline, like you can't find gold glove infielders to plug in.
Speaker 1: Well, look through forty one. You're right, gold Schmid's made a huge difference at first base. I think you got to, I guess, maybe see more of what you're getting from the entire infield as we lead to or toward the deadline. I still think pitching is like, if you're gonna address one big need, if you're gonna give up some type of prospect capital, it's gonna be for another starting pitcher. But yeah, I think a big question after that one inning in the World Series is like, Hey, what's that gonna do to this team? Are they gonna get tougher? Is that gonna harden them up a little bit more and serve them really well for the future. That was what obviously the hope was if you were around the team. I think that was one of the bigger questions that you probably had for the group as a whole. What would be the residual effect of that World Series outcome? So far, so good. I think Paul Goldschmid has a lot to do with that. On both sides of the ball. He's making really nice plays at first base. He's making it easier on the other infielders. Yeah, maybe they are gonna press the need for another infield. We obviously know what happened with Oswaldo Cabrera last night. Third base is Openisham Junior is out right now.
Speaker 3: Second base is open. But they're gonna wait and see.
Speaker 1: I feel and again, ultimately, if you have to ask, if forget to choose between a big upgrade in the infield or address the rotation, I'd be going with starting pitching.
Speaker 2: Hey ft fam, Hello Fresh as America's number one meal kit cam because we're busy and we would like all the ingredients to cook up something nice and make us look like elite chefs at home.
Speaker 6: You know what I do.
Speaker 8: I've got kids in basketball, I've got soccer, I've got best I've got baseball.
Speaker 3: And when they get home there's.
Speaker 8: A fresh meal and they think, oh, dad, he's so great. Well, no it's not me. It's Hello Fresh. It's nutritious, it's packed full of good nutrients. The kids have good energy and they look at me like I'm the greatest dad in the world, So make sure you go grab that Hello Fresh because you know what is doing my family all the good.
Speaker 2: Cook up dishes like chicken dijon and pecan crusted trout, over one hundred seasonal snacks, sides and treats as well. Feel great with meals that fit your spring schedule and make the season even more delicious. Go to HelloFresh dot com slash ft ten FM now to get ten free meals with a free item for life one per box with active subscription. Free meals apply to discount on first box new subscribers only. Varies by plan.
Speaker 7: All right, So, how bad is this injury? And not in the sense of like we saw how gruesome it was, but how bad is it in the sense that they win the game? But the feeling in the clubhouse, the like, just the overall like because he's not the superstar on the team, but I know what kind of effervescent personality he brings and that smile he brings. How bad of a hit to the vibes on this team is as Walter Cabrera again hit last night?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Eric, so I left the ballpark right after the game. I didn't go in the clubhouse, but for everything I heard like they play music obviously, like every team does after they come up with a win.
Speaker 3: There was no music there.
Speaker 1: And you're right, you you talked about the type of person as Waldo Cabrera is. The It's funny because he's so unique in the sense that the human and the player blent together because he brings the same energy.
Speaker 3: And joy on and off the field.
Speaker 1: And I think he affects so many around the Yankees organization. You know, not yeah, yeah, you're not a superstar player. But he came up a few years ago, he had a hot start. They plugged and played him almost everywhere defensively, and he held his own for sure, and he's playing an effective third base now, came to spring training, won the job, and it is just it's a real bummer to see him go down like this because the ballpark last night was just stone cold silent. And I call boxing guys, I've seen some you know, not to get two graphic, but like when when I'm ringside and I see like a boxer get knocked down on their head, smack off the mat, it's it's it's.
Speaker 3: Awful to watch. Last night was was awful to take in.
Speaker 1: And there's you know, it's tough to root for a better person than Oswaldo Cabrera because his his joy, I think, his mentality, the attitude he brings, it's it's infectious. It makes you stop and think about whatever problems you may have. And again this isn't a hyperbole here, whatever problem that you may be going through, once you see him and the joy and the attitude and the smiles that he brings, you kind of say to yourself, man, h nothing.
Speaker 3: Going on in my life is too bad.
Speaker 1: When when you're around people like that, they kind of put things in perspective for you.
Speaker 5: Justin before I got to Aaron Judge, it was boomersiasin and some Bengals fans wish he would have taken the Super Bowl off they lost in the forty nine or sorry too soon eleven? Well was the eleven for twenty five for one hundred and forty four interception? So sorry, uh too soon? Maybe I don't know, but yeah, it was Boomer not mad Dog. So I apologize to Mad Dog, which is something I never thought i'd say in my life. But okay, anyways, why the teams pitched to Aaron Judge?
Speaker 6: But why why?
Speaker 3: I know? Why?
Speaker 5: Why are they pitching to Aaron Judge. I don't care who hits behind him, but why would you let him at any time get a a swing off and hit a home run. I know pictures make mistakes for human but why why are we pitching to him?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm not going to keep asking that.
Speaker 6: It's too much fun calling.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you to take it.
Speaker 1: Look, they keep pitching to him, He's gonna hit him out. He's gonna have impactful swings. You're watching greatness, man, I you know, it really hit me a couple of years ago, like kind of like just slap me in the face, like this is truly an all time great and you get a front row seat, you get the best seat in the house to watch them.
Speaker 3: It's it's incredible. I think the coolest.
Speaker 1: Part is that he forces so many people around him and not just inside the clubhouse, to you know, be great and try and elevate their game and rise up in order to you know, meet his moments.
Speaker 3: That's certainly the case for us in the booth. So it's so much fun.
Speaker 1: Uh Yeah, he got on base four times last night, like regular night at the office, and I know, I know he takes so much pride in the batting average, obviously hitting over four hundred. But this is a guy who has often talked about in the past, how much you know the the stats that you know, I grew up with batting average, runs batted in. You you take a closer look at those, those are the things that you know he does pay attention to as well. And watching guys like you know and Albert Pools and Miguel Cabrera. Man, he's he's right up there now, he's right up there with some of the best right handed hitters of the last quarter century.
Speaker 5: My thing is is just you look at all these pitches that he's sitting out there, all out over the plate. Does anybody ever pitch him in? Does anybody ever throw Aaron Judge inside? Because every ball he hits is I mean, I know he does pull some breaking balls every once in a while, but every like every home runch we just showed was a ball out over the plate and he just extended center to right, especially Yankee Stadium. Good lord, But I mean, he can just shake a ball and it still goes down the right field line for home run.
Speaker 6: But does anybody ever pitch him inside?
Speaker 3: Well, how would you, how would you call for pitches against them?
Speaker 5: You gotta you gotta show him something in I'm sorry, I know there always got hot zone in there, but I think the hot zone is a lot is on breaking balls that don't do a lot. I mean, I'm if I'm you gotta you gotta give him something inside. At some point in every game I watch, it's like slider away, fastball away, slider away, and he's just like, I'm gonna keep leaning out there until they make a mistake and then I'm gonna shoot him right center for a homer.
Speaker 3: What's wild?
Speaker 1: Is it feel like they're going by the book from like twenty seventeen, twenty six, twenty sixteen, when he first broke in.
Speaker 3: You know he would chase those pitches he hit one seventy nine.
Speaker 1: Obviously, the evolution of a great hitter like Aaron Judge, it's changed over time.
Speaker 3: That's what I think.
Speaker 1: When I see those those breaking pictures of those sliders kind of tail off the outside part of the play he spits on him now a completely different hitter. You're not gonna see him chase these things anymore. He's become again the elite of elite, so.
Speaker 3: I'm with you, but I'm not questioning it. I can't question what you're running for it.
Speaker 6: You're runing for it.
Speaker 3: It's too much fun.
Speaker 6: He's a Homer. I got it.
Speaker 7: You're a Homer. And that's okay because we're all should be homer when he comes up to the plane.
Speaker 3: Am I supposed to feel in this situation?
Speaker 6: Right? No, that's it. So that's why I'm gonna ask my next question. Is he a Hall of Famer?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: You know what's funny you talk about You brought up Mike, Chris mad Dog Russo. Okay, New York Kid grew up listening to Mike and Chris. It's just like embedded into me. They got to have six Hall of Fame worthy seasons, seven Hall of Fame worthy seasons, Like that's the magic number.
Speaker 3: He's right there, Aaron Judge is right there. And and yes, I mean it's.
Speaker 1: Only a matter of the day's coming off the calendar at this point because he's just going to continue this incredible production.
Speaker 3: So yes, in my book, he's already a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 6: No get in. If he just continues to do what he's doing, He's in. He's in.
Speaker 5: He played in New York. He's the captain of the year Yankees. So they's already checked two boxes, okay, and he's really good with the media. There's three boxes and then four he's a really good player. So he's gonna get in.
Speaker 4: Judge, or for how long?
Speaker 6: Of course, what do you mean for how long?
Speaker 5: How long does he doesn't mean if he just he finishes his contract and he has average years he's in.
Speaker 7: Okay, he got he's got one thousand, ninety one hits. Right now, he's got three hundred and twenty nine homers.
Speaker 4: It's looked at differently, just way different.
Speaker 6: How many more years does he have on his contract? How many more years does he have? Four more years? Five more? How many more years?
Speaker 2: Justin you know this, there's a line that most voters use nowadays. You can agree with it or not, but they're looking at stuff like war, career, war, And I'm pretty sure he's already above the number needed.
Speaker 4: He's at fifty six for baseball reference.
Speaker 5: Although he did bring up Blue Winaker yesterday, he had like seventy five and is done in so just definitely.
Speaker 9: Right, a different time period, no, a different seventy five war, seventy five war, but My point is is if he has what six more years left on his contract and I forget what year whenever he was almost when Arson judged on Simon the Giants.
Speaker 5: So if he has six more years left in his contract and he hits twenty five homers a year, that puts him at almost five hundred homers. You don't think if he hits four hundred and ninety homers and does what he keeps doing, he's not gonna be in.
Speaker 6: He's in. He's gonna be in.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, he's in fifty plus justin I think generally gives you good consideration. Then you factor in what he's done during that time period, and yes, he's gonna play for years.
Speaker 4: I don't even think it's a.
Speaker 5: It will help me if he wins a World Series, though maybe not for the Hall of Fame, but for Yankee fans to just let it go kind of like you know, there's certain people that just need to win that thing if you're on a certain team, because the Yankees have to win it to win or nothing.
Speaker 6: He's got to get the World Series. He's got to get the World Series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as far as the Hall of Fame goes, I'm with I'm with you, Scott. I think that's how they you'll probably look at it on that note, but I think Aaron Judge would agree with you. He wants the World Series, he wants he wants the championship title. And I think that's why you always hear him say yeah, I'm not a finished product yet, Like, ude, you're hitting four h nine. He's like, yeah, there's still room for improvement. So I think that's what's fueling in there.
Speaker 2: Hey, justin last one from someone obviously, I've known you for a long time now, and I think we're in a similar age.
Speaker 4: I mean, you've been, in my mind, one of the.
Speaker 2: Better broadcasters' voices the whole deal, in our in our in baseball right for a long time. So without going through your whole life story, I just think your story is super helpful for a lot of aspiring broadcasters out there and how difficult it is, especially obviously to to make it in New York. But can you just give either one tip or one you know, kind of appreciation moment to point out for people that have followed your story for a while, Like, Yeah, this guy's crushing it and now he gets the call the big stage Yankee games in the top market in the country.
Speaker 3: Man, thank you for first and foremost, thank you one piece of advice, I mean all the time.
Speaker 1: Don't ever put your head on your pillow and think what if or have any regret. And you know, there's a lot of noise out there for sure, in this social media age, and it's assessbol let's call it what it is. For sure, I would say, I would say, in order to not listen to the people that don't matter, you know, never never look for the criticism from someone.
Speaker 3: You'd never take advice from it. But overall, five hundred percent every time, that's yesterday, five hundred percent all the time. It takes discipline and obviously time management. But if you blend the two together and you give it to your all, you're gonna feel good about yourself at the end of the day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're doing it right.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: That's a good call too, because it is.
Speaker 5: By the way, I just I don't know justin story like you do. But can we also just have people understand that you don't art is like the Yankees play by play guy, Okay, Because there's kids that come up to me that have seen this show and see me on Fox and they say, you know, man, you start, you know, how do I get a job like yours? I'm like, well, you got to go to like some little town. And I was obviously fortunate because I played I'm a different animal than normally play by play guys. Yes, but like you got to go to I don't know, Wichita Falls, Kansas and do the weather cat racing or whatever it is and get a tape and then work your way up if you got to work in the minor leagues. Like I had a whole conversation with Adam I mean on Saturday about him working for the Somerset Patriots. And I've met some guy that knew you. Gosh, I don't know what his name.
Speaker 3: Is, the gm ajor.
Speaker 6: I know he knew you.
Speaker 3: You to school.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I mean I I packed my air mattress in my Nissan e Stera driving to Knoxville, Tennessee, and Mobile, Alabama to call minor league baseball for about five six years. And uh, what was really cool in the Southern League? Then you had myself, he had Joe David cutting our teeth with the Mobile Beay Bears and the Montgomery Biscuits. Uh, Tommy Thrall, who's the Red's voice. Now you know there there are others are Alex Cohen, who's crushing it on on Cubs TV. You know, we're we're all in the sudden league at the same time. And if I'm forgetting someone right on the spot, I apologize, But.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Adam was.
Speaker 1: Adam was doing his thing, Scott was doing his thing, and we Uh, what's interesting is like we at least for me, you know, like with a guy like Joe Davis, like I met.
Speaker 3: Him, we we started.
Speaker 1: It was right at the start where like strangers wouldn't hesitate through like Facebook to like reach out to someone that was working toward the same goal and say, hey, just want to introduce myself. I think you do really you know, really solid work. You know you want to listen, you know, can you listen to my stuff and offer a tip or something like that, so you're like all on the grind together.
Speaker 3: It was really really fun.
Speaker 2: Hundreds if not thousands of coos with that's like my thing. I'm like, I'm not rich, but I can give time and so on the road phone calls with people that reach out and I'm sure Justin's done a million of that we all do it. That's like our thing. You're like, all right, I'm gonna give you everything you need to know. I try and be a straight shooter now too, and tell them about the politics and all that and the offices.
Speaker 4: But anyway we can go.
Speaker 5: I mean, how long was don Or Solo and pau Tuckett. He was there for like ten years before he got called up to the I mean, these dudes grind.
Speaker 4: There's a grind. Matt besque Christian.
Speaker 6: These dudes really grind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Matty, he was ten years or something, a long time in the minor leagues, and he was like, you know, a lot of people get to a point where they're like, eh, I think I'm going to move on.
Speaker 4: And most do right, most do because there's only X amount of jobs. But it's crazy. But I totally agree.
Speaker 2: I got crushed all the time from people on play by play saying I want you to sound like this, and I'm like, well, that's cool. The person you want me to sound like is seventy eight years old and I'm thirty two, and I don't give a crap two I'm thirty seven now. Anyway, good talking to you, dude. Keep crushing it out there love the combo here and we look forward to hearing you again tonight.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, great joining you guys. Have a good one