Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Every day is the Super Bowl Final Hour And this Wednesday at the Fountain Blue Hotel, Cam Newton was here earlier. Brent Musburger, Great Jim Nantz is coming by. Hello, friends, Thank you. Got gift bags for av aar In studio guests. They get the gift bank courtesy a keeper's heart. Brtt Mussburger saw the keeper's heart and he's like, Laddie, like to start the day with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Irish, they just won back to back now best Irish American whiskey. So that's their ten yure single molt, So congratulations to them. The great folks at Good Ranchers, Miller Light, Original Louisiana Brand, Haunt Sauce, King Sawaiian and Trigger Grills.
Speaker 4: By the way, Paully came up with this idea.
Speaker 2: You know, it's one of those ideas where I go, okay, like I'm sort of listening to you and now I'm realizing what the bet is.
Speaker 4: So explain what we're doing with our super Bowl prediction.
Speaker 5: Okay, our great sponsor, Regional Louisiana Hot Sauce, they got a thing for us. We're gonna pick the total points scored of the game. Now, who's gonna win because we're saving that pick for Friday. Total points scored between the two teams losers doing hot sauce shots on Monday, okay, and the hot hot sauce shots, not the entry level hots.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So we'll do our wheel of punishment. We'll spin that, but then we'll have the different hot sauces there. Whatever it lands on the person who is furthest away from the total of the super Bowl. Okay, yeah, wheel of hot sauce. Okay, the wheel of hot sauce. Okay, Marvin, do you have your total for the Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: I do, Okay, the number is fifty eight.
Speaker 4: Fifty eight. I see what you're doing. Super Bowl fifty eight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what I yeah.
Speaker 2: No oh, I was like, you know, you didn't you didn't know that, Like you didn't put those together.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: I know. Of course, Todd who's playing hurt. He's got a devastating injury on his leg. But somehow it's going to be able to gut it out here and then you'll probably have to go to the emergency room.
Speaker 4: But while you're here this hour.
Speaker 6: This is very bizarre what I'm about to share with you.
Speaker 7: My total points also fifty eight thirty one, twenty seven cheats five plus eight Tata's favorite number thirteen, and you could add the back to a super Bowl fifty eight.
Speaker 6: Well, we both have fifty eight.
Speaker 4: Okay, I need a time breaker for you too.
Speaker 6: Well, dude, I have thirty one twenty seven cheeks. Do you have a who? Do you have one?
Speaker 4: No, he's a Niner fan.
Speaker 6: So he has the Niners. So that's the type.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, okay, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you both have the same total, and if the Chiefs win, uh, then Marvin would be the one that could.
Speaker 3: I have fifty five to three forty nine ers.
Speaker 4: Fifty okay, let's go mar Yeah, fair enough. You guys like that, Yeah, they're.
Speaker 6: Like, really, don't on me, stupid Seaton.
Speaker 8: I have a slight more conservative forty six points. I went thirty two fourteen Marvin's San Francisco forty nine ers, Yeah, okay, forty nine ers, rolling, absolutely rolling the Chiefs, all right, Paulie.
Speaker 9: I tried to get mister Mussburger to help me. He passed on.
Speaker 5: He didn't want to be associated with my pick, which is smart of him, I went forty nine points as a total score.
Speaker 9: I do not have a winner yet.
Speaker 2: I have twenty seven, twenty five, twenty seven, twenty five.
Speaker 9: Doing the math, doing the math, yeah, fifty two writing down.
Speaker 2: So fifty two twenty seven twenty five chiefs. Feels like there should be some kind of big thing right there.
Speaker 4: There wasn't.
Speaker 8: There wasn't like a ah, it was yeah, nothing, It just sort of hung there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we did. There's no production value in the giants hat, just the energy. But get him here we go. Yeah, yess smart.
Speaker 6: Can I change my number to sixty one?
Speaker 10: Then?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: Oh, so we're just yeah, okay, that's yeah.
Speaker 2: You don't get another prediction based off everybody else's prediction.
Speaker 6: Well only because we had the same number.
Speaker 2: No, you have the niners, here's the Chiefs, that's the time breakers exciding.
Speaker 6: What if it's actually fifty eight, we both have the exact total.
Speaker 3: Right, thank you.
Speaker 6: You're gonna do this to me now with my knee injury.
Speaker 3: Very exciting.
Speaker 7: But what you just said, I mean, I mean, why say it means it because it makes it even more special than if it's fifty eight.
Speaker 6: That's the two of the fordsn that's nailed it. Look, that's what we shouldn't change them.
Speaker 10: Okay, all right, whole question for the third hour, worst knee injury, Willis McGahee or Todd friends.
Speaker 2: Well, Joe l Embi's got an injury. Yeah, there's been quite a few devastating knee and get a mine. You know, had a lot of surgeries there.
Speaker 6: Glad would take in my situation seriously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we did have a nurse Carol came up, you know, she uh, it was a grade two cut.
Speaker 3: I think it's a yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: Brent Musberger was with us, and it just dawned on me he's not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. And you know, this happened a couple of years ago with John Facenda, the voice of the NFL. And I kept thinking, a lot of us grew up with NFL films and listening to John Facenda, and he made football, you know, even more important in our life and dramatic in our life. And I reached out to the Pro Football Hall of Fame and I said, you know, what do I have to do? And I was told write a letter, And I said, okay, write a letter. Wrote a letter, got the call from the Hall of Fame and they said, we're going to induct John Facenda for contributions to the game. And I meant what I said to Brent Musberger. I mean, he's meant a lot to me. He doesn't know this, but growing up, that's how I, you know, kind of clicked where I wanted to be a sportscaster watching Brent. And you think back when that's the first you know, pregame show, so contributions to the game, he's part of that, and he's still part of it, you know whatever, fifty years sixty years later, and I thought, you know what, contributions to the game. Brent should be a Hall of Famer. So when we get back, I try to put something together. I don't know if you need a letter, but you know I did that with John Facenda. I felt stupid, like, first of all, he's the voice of the NFL. He should be in the Hall of Fame. I could have ended it there that I had to point out things, you know, how long he did it and all those things. Gosh, with Brent, you know, what do you say, hey, Brent Musburger should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: Period, Paul, what do you have.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we did some research on this, and there is a wing of the Hall of Fame, the Pro Football Hall of Fame that's contributors, and it has more like owners and like Al Davis is in George Houses and of course Lamar Hunt and Jerry Jones, et cetera, cetera. The only media person I could see is Ed Stable, who began NFL Films, which had a bit at a media person. So there is a route to get in for a media person. You may dan, you may even put the entire NFL Today Show in the Hall of Fame as a group or something. But if you look at baseball with the Baseball Hall of Fame, they had the Ford C. Frick Award, which have been around for a long time, and that is specifically for immedia people to get in the Hall of Fame. So like you know, Marty Brenneman and Harry Callis and Bob Ucker and so on and so on. John Miller is more of.
Speaker 4: The recent voices of the game.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Al Michaels is in there, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 5: There absolutely has to be a spot for media impact on the Pro Football Hall of Fame. And Brent Musberger would be a one seat.
Speaker 2: But I think there are other members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame for contributions. Isn't Andrew Kramer in the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a contributor.
Speaker 4: They have members of the media who are.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you, Dan, I appreciate I didn't ask yes, Yes, thank you, Tony.
Speaker 9: There is the Roselle Radio and Television Award.
Speaker 4: Okay, but that's where Brent should be in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's given out. I don't know if that means you're a Hall of Famer as a contributor or. You're getting an award from the Hall of Fame is presented by the Pro Football Hall of Fame recognized longtime exceps exceptional contributions of radio and television to professional football. And I've got the list, and it's all the names you'd expect, and John Madden and Rune Arlige and Dick Enberg and Pat Summer all and unless unless I'm missing something, Brent Musburg is not was never honored for this, which is even a double travesty.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm literally upset.
Speaker 4: But this is the radio and TV portion of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 9: The Pete Roselle Radio and TV Award.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe if there's somebody from the NFL or Hall of Fame is listening, and you know, let us know what we need to do to try to submit his name.
Speaker 9: I love that you're upset by this.
Speaker 4: I am, of.
Speaker 2: Course, you know he should be in the Hall of Fame, absolutely, and I think he was moved by the fact that I think he should be in there. But I just think you know, when you look at the history of the game, when they were doing it, it wasn't everybody wanted to be on it. You know NFL Countdown on ESPN or you know these pregame shows that I was part of modern era. This was back when it was in the embryonic stages of covering the NFL. And Brent gave us that great line you were looking live. But he did that for the gamblers. He wanted to let you know, at the top of the show, here is Soldier Field. You're looking live. He wanted to give you what the weather was, and we didn't realize it at the time. I just thought it was so great, you are looking live at Soldier Fielt And I'm like, all right, that's a great way to bring us onto the air.
Speaker 4: Then I realized years later.
Speaker 2: When I talked to him, he goes, Laddie, I was letting the gamblers know what the weather conditions were like if they were going to put down a dollar or two.
Speaker 4: Like I love that, Brent, Yes, Pauling, And like.
Speaker 5: You said, he was Brent musterg and those guys invented starting the football weekend. It wasn't just game game and then go to bed. IRV Cross won the Pete Rosel Radio TV Award. I'm assuming for much of his work on the NFL today and the NFL coverage. So IRV Cross is in deservedly and Brent Musburg, as from what I could see here.
Speaker 4: As not well. He said he wasn't in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 9: Or this award. Yeah, this is part of the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but contributor absolutely. All right, do we have a poll question for the final hour of the program. Jim Nantz will join us. Hello friends, coming up here in a little bit. Anything else that the teams wrapped up their media requirements yesterday. The coaches, I think speak one more time, and I think other than that, those were the main headlines here. The first day of practice, true practice, I think is today as well.
Speaker 4: What do you have their seating for the final hour?
Speaker 8: Well, we had up there, greatest college football season. We're doing just quarterbacks. Your options were Cam Newton twenty ten, Johnny Manziel twenty twelve, Joe Burrow twenty nineteen, Jayden Daniels twenty twenty three. Right now, absolutely crushed. Fifty eight percent is Joe Burrow in twenty nineteen. Okay, Cam's in second place though, with twenty three percent of the vote.
Speaker 3: That's not bad.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's just because he was on today, Laura, but.
Speaker 8: You know, he does seem to be I mean I haven't looked at it, but there weren't a lot of NFL players on that Auburn team or not on that offense anyway, right yeah, I mean, he wasn't throwing to two like superstar wide receivers. He's kind of doing it all himself. It feels so much to his point. By the way, this last two.
Speaker 2: Weeks, LSU has become sort of wide receiver. You it was Ohio State and now LSU could have two wide receivers I think taken in the first round this year, we've you know, they've already produced a couple of really good wide receivers there all right? Age seven seven three DP show Andrew in Washington. Andrew, good to have you back. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey, good morning, Dan Dannetz, Thanks for taking my call. Just had a couple of questions. First, Albert Brier touched on it yesterday. These coaches they want to make these organizations and owners they want to make going to work fun. Belichick, Carrol Veyrol, they all had final say or complete control. I want to see a big in your opinion. Do they get another job with that same control and final say or are they going to have less if they take another job. Secondly, Fritzi, have you ever had a normal occurrence of discomfort in your lifetime?
Speaker 6: Ah?
Speaker 7: It's usually very dramatic and extreme, at least that's the way I process.
Speaker 11: I feel sorry for you, Fritzy. Some things just need to be a bump in the dark and you go on with your day. And also, Dan, I see Bob and Matt tenna Is wearing your jumpsuit from Elvis. Did he wash that or clean it out? I don't think much of those underneath those suits.
Speaker 2: No, that is a show Warren Elvis suit that I had on the other day that Bob from Montana brought in. He brought in three different outfits and was kind enough to let me wear one.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Andrew.
Speaker 2: Yes, every injury with Todd is life threatening. And now you said you called the chief of staff at the hotel.
Speaker 6: I asked for the chief of staff and they gave me some kind of assistant, like.
Speaker 4: Did you call the white House.
Speaker 7: I know it's not chief of staff, but they got me a nurse or someone that, you know, not the headhead person.
Speaker 6: And they said they're going to meet me up in the room later just to take a look at it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: It's the People's Open, by the way, the great tournament, the Vibes. It's the Waste Management Phoenix Open. The best golf is played here. That's Thursday, four eastern on Golf Channel.
Speaker 4: Are we going to do that one year?
Speaker 2: Well, we usually do the Super Bowl, so it's hard to go. I'd still like to get back to Pebble Beach. Yeah, Double Beach was great.
Speaker 3: What if we did the Waste Management I.
Speaker 2: Think they've offered for us to go out there, but we're out there early in the morning and nobody's.
Speaker 4: Out there at that time. That's the problem.
Speaker 5: I went to that thing years and years ago. They should call it the Wasted management that place. The Wasted is a frat house.
Speaker 4: Okay, Oh, did you have the sports related Vegas name?
Speaker 6: I have Las Vegas sports names.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, and I'm so happy you remember you.
Speaker 9: Right now, it's gonna go back to talk about your knee.
Speaker 6: But it's not stand up comedy. It's just Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Oh I know, it's not comedy. It's not even sit down comedy.
Speaker 6: Is that necessary with my little anger? No, that's right.
Speaker 4: You can't stand up here we here were I could limp?
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: Okay, I actually have that on the list.
Speaker 6: That's a good call, I said.
Speaker 2: Okay, of course you do. Now here we go. I have it printed out, all right, here we go. So these are Las Vegas related.
Speaker 6: Sports names, Las Vegas sports names.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thanks, just Oscar Gamble, Oscar Gamble okay, okay, black Jack.
Speaker 7: McDowell, five Card, Charlie Lee, Brand, Chip, Kelly Brian prop like a prop bit, but you know that Mookie bets.
Speaker 2: Wait, you're building in time for the audience to be laughing at this. Is that what you're doing?
Speaker 8: You know, this is exactly what I've always the imagine, imagine the audience was doing. Anyway, It's just complete silence across the country.
Speaker 2: Continue Tom House, David over.
Speaker 6: Street, he used to be a football player. Think Tom Underwoods.
Speaker 7: You got the over and under over Street in Underwood, Dice k Masuzaka for Dice felt in Spencer.
Speaker 4: I want to give you a credit for that one. All right, that's pretty good. Ian Book, Okay, Monty Pool like Monty three card, Monte Leon, Roulette Lee. I'm gonna give you that one.
Speaker 6: Don Money, Dave Cash, Ernie bankrupt. Can we do Ernie bankrupt? Ernie? I know, Ernie Banker. Dick Pole Likeipp whoa there?
Speaker 12: Nude Rockney the X rated part of cal Strip, Get up out there, Booby Clark, he played for the Bengals.
Speaker 3: Fight a Fontaine, Blue.
Speaker 7: Sugar, Diddy Ray Leonard Es, Cortes, Kennedy deep Cut. We got uh pimpy free, remember Peppy, I got pimpy free.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 6: Rich Gossage Rich, Eric Decker like a Decker cards Eric Decker, Lex luxA Lex.
Speaker 7: Luxer Lex like the wrestler Lex Luxer, who's also yeah Lex Lex Luxer.
Speaker 10: And then we got to odds Helton, M L Card and Ronnie Slot.
Speaker 9: That's bangers there.
Speaker 4: Yeah you'd rockby.
Speaker 10: Yeah you forgot uh, Chris Gamble former Ohio State Oscar Gamble, Tomato so Modo.
Speaker 3: I don't know who Oscar Gamble.
Speaker 4: Is, baseball player big Afro.
Speaker 3: Great. Yeah, you weren't born none of these I was born for.
Speaker 2: That's true. That's true. It's in Todd's wheelhouse, growing up with I know, I know because between the show here which no, we heard it.
Speaker 4: I got it.
Speaker 6: We move on right, cal strip.
Speaker 4: All right, that's good.
Speaker 3: I laughed.
Speaker 4: I applauded, very proud.
Speaker 6: Of nude Rockney. I think that was the best thing.
Speaker 4: It's not.
Speaker 6: Disrespect.
Speaker 8: Shout out to the fund Fountain Blue, by the way, not the foun Team Blue. I want to thank them for letting us stay here, the Fountain Blue.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: It's a beautiful place.
Speaker 6: Es Cortez Ken, I know we got it.
Speaker 4: Will shut up, okay, we take a break.
Speaker 13: Come on that the Fountain Blue.
Speaker 6: All your dreams come to.
Speaker 4: Uh not my dreams.
Speaker 6: That it's all for you at the fun.
Speaker 4: Will take a break. The Great Jim Nance.
Speaker 2: Hello, friends, will well join us coming up next year on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 14: Hey Gang lit is Jay Glazer, host of Unbreakable, a mental Wealth podcast, and every week we will have on leaders from sports entertainment like Sean McVay, Lindsey Vaughn, Michael phelf David Spade, got Fiemmi and also those who can help us in between the ears, anyone from a therapist to someone like Ed Milett for John Gordon. We've all been through some sort of adversity to get to the top.
Speaker 6: We've all used different tools.
Speaker 14: Listen to Unbreakable with Jay Glazer and Mental Wealth podcast on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get podcasts.
Speaker 2: Mine thanks again to Fountain Blue Hotel, Beautiful place, and they've given us the entire pool deck here. Uh, an embarrassment of riches here that we have all right. Next up is our longtime friend and the NFL and CBS lead play by play voice calling the Super Bowl. Here, longtime host of the Masters and hosted March Madness for a long long time as well. Coming up Sunday at one Eastern on CBS in Paramount Plus, CBS Sports will present Your Looking Live Show, the show that changed sports television forever. Brent Musburg of Jim Nance, Greg Gumbel, James Brown shared their memories of hosting that show. We bring in the Great Jim NANTZ. Hello friends, always great to see you. Thanky, buddy, thank you, b looking good?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Looking good? Yeah? Do you have a ten for the Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Now you look like you know he got a ten going on there, I don't think sel, big guy. All right, Great to see you.
Speaker 3: I was in Pebble last week. All we had was rain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 3: Baltimore before that, and well two weeks.
Speaker 2: In Buffalo and a blizzard, so maybe it's win a wind burn that you have there sitting by one of these heaters.
Speaker 3: So that may get bet.
Speaker 2: You have this show coming up this Sunday, and it's it's really celebrating you know, CBS Sports, CBS. You know the NFL show on CBS. Why is Brent Mosberger not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame?
Speaker 3: Well, I was.
Speaker 15: Listening to you this morning, and I could not believe it when you were able to figure that out, to crack the code. It's I mean, I have so many people that I've advocated for through the years, players and coaches, like Hank Stram, my longtime partner. He didn't get the honor until sadly he was already deep in the throes of Alzheimer's and I went to attend his induction. I had been leading a writing campaign to try to get Hank in. There have been other cases, but like Brent's omission, it's it's stunning. I had no idea. I'm in, You're are You're in right? No, okay, we're going to do that next. No, no, no, no, no, get Brent in. I would give my place in Canton.
Speaker 3: I would. I'm gonna write I heard you say, you can give it to Brent or me flip a coin.
Speaker 4: No, no, give it to Brent.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 15: I almost want to give it to Brent. I love to Brent. I admire him so much.
Speaker 2: Now, this is the Pete Roselle Award for the Pro Football Hall of It's going to say the.
Speaker 3: Pete Rose Award. No date rosell.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 15: It is and that is what gets you in the Hall of Fame from our industry. Yeah, and it's a great honor. And I went in in twenty eleven and all this time I've been thinking Brent had to be.
Speaker 3: One of the ms in there.
Speaker 4: John Facenda wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: I took up the campaign and wrote the letter and I said, this is embarrassing. The voice of the NFL was Frozen Tundra.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and they put him into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Look this show that's going to be on Sunday you are looking live. You just promoted it is going to really showcase for people how much that impacted the NFL, the popularity of it.
Speaker 3: And Brent was the guy. I mean, he was the ringleader. I had this special thing on Monday night.
Speaker 15: I had dinner with Brent coming into Vegas, and I have a checklist of things I want to do. Most of it's already allotted to meeting with teams and production meetings, but I really.
Speaker 3: Wanted more aningy thing. I wanted to sit down and have dinner with Brent.
Speaker 15: And we had that occasion Monday night and meant the world to me to be able to just sit back and be regaled for three hours by Brent. And we worked together for a long time. I was his understudy on a lot of different properties, and I traveled with his crew, say, on college basketball, I was host, and he was sitting courtside with Billy Packer before I succeeded him there or the Masters or whatever it might be college football, and I watched him, and I idolized him, and I really could not even muster up enough courage to be able to bang out a complete sentence.
Speaker 3: A cogent thought I was tongue tied. I really was.
Speaker 15: And that's when I was twenty six, and I got hired in nineteen eighty five. So now I'm sixty four, and I figured, now what's about time I get over this, So nervously I called him. I was scared to have to punch in the phone number, so he answered Hello, Jimmy, and I said, Brent, mister Musburger, can we have dinner?
Speaker 3: And said sure.
Speaker 15: So it all came together, and I'm happy to say I don't know whether this after one cocktail or just maybe I just felt comfortable enough after all these years, I was able to have a like a real conversation with a friend and a mentor, But.
Speaker 2: Did you okay? When he got fired let go my CBS then took over. That was at the Final four in Denver, April second, nineteen ninety I was the host.
Speaker 3: So when.
Speaker 15: When I was with him the night that CBS parted ways with him, Brenton Billy and I had to go do something for CBS sales. We came back to the hotel and they told him it was over. I was not in that meeting when they told him that, but I rode to the game with his brother Todd, who I've still admired deeply, and when he said his goodbye on the airs, the famous I've had the greatest seat in the house, he threw it back to me.
Speaker 3: And now I'm still in my twenties.
Speaker 15: Here's Brent Musberger, who I've worshiped as a kid, and I've got to sum it up, say on behalf of the network, how much we appreciate him, And that was I was mortified by how I was going to handle. I had to add libt off account to the end of the show. UNLV, by the way, just won the national championship that night and had beaten Duke by thirty we all wanted to see how the farewell was going to take place. Can I tell you the first place I kind of met him. I met him at the nineteen eighty three Final four. He was hosting then Gary Bender was calling the games with Billy Packers. Albuquerque's Albuquerque and it's Houston, MI alma mater against NC State, and the Houston basketball program was my gateway into the industry, still to this day with Calvin Samson, I love the team.
Speaker 3: That's my team.
Speaker 15: But back then, Guy Lewis was great to me. I hosted his show, and anyway I got to Albuquerque, I rode in to the pit on the team bus and I didn't sit on the bench, but I found a place to sit. And when I walked into the arena well before broadcast time game time, I saw the CBS set and Brent was up there rehearsing the elements of the show. So I went over and took the seat right up against I mean closer than we're sitting together right now. And he was on a platform a riser, so he's above me. But his shoes were rare here. I would have I could have shined his shoes and I would have you I really would have. But I watched him do Hi, everybody, Welcome to the National Championship Game. And I watched him and I was riveted, and I was all that I was in his universe, and yeah, I even then, honestly it's first on a song, but I didn't have the courage. I was the only person there. He probably thinking, why is this kid like in my space? And I probably, looking back, should have said miss Munsberger.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to say hello.
Speaker 15: But three years later, I was sitting in that chair and now he's calling the games and I'm the host, and I'm sitting on that riser, and it all happened lightning fast.
Speaker 2: He's a Jim NaN's NFL on CBS, the lead play by playboys calling the Super Bowl. I'm curious when you get in these production meetings and when wait a minute, you're turning away.
Speaker 15: Like why don't like having my back to my guys here? You know it's okay. By the way, I saw Fritzy on Las Vegas Boulevard last night.
Speaker 3: He was face planet on the sidewalk. Do you remember this, don't you?
Speaker 9: I know, comment mister Nathey.
Speaker 15: Or somebody was there handing out cards you had a whole fist full of them in your hand and you're down this face planet on the sidewalk and said, are you okay?
Speaker 3: You had a little cut on.
Speaker 2: Your foreheads on them all right? So the production meeting, yes, how much, say do you have? And how often you're going to show Taylor.
Speaker 15: Sw with zero? I react. I don't tell Mike Arnold, our director, how to do his job, but how often? How much is too much and how much is not enough? In your opinion, it's all Super Bowls and it's all about instincts, the way I call it, the way he directs it, Mike, it's all it's got to be a field thing. You know, Kelsey makes a big play, he's going to cut to her for a second or two. That doesn't mean it needs commentary with that shot. It just kind of blend with the replay and another crowd shot. But I've never said on the coll switch, hey give me a shot of Taylor right now. And there's been this uproar about how much we're showing her and I don't get it. I mean, at the AFC Championship Game, Travis had a huge partner win and they cut to her a number of times. But in the end, someone did this study on it. It was forty four seconds is how long she was on our three hour and fifteen minute broadcast. So he has great judgment, our director, and so does Jim Ricoff of course our producer. They'll figure it out. There's not a single word said Abount. We're going to show her here, here, and here, and I probably ninety nine percent of the time because I've had eight games with her president, I don't even reference the fact, well, there's Taylor. Tony has had a few times where he's He's jokingly said, well there's his wife.
Speaker 3: So I said, what not yet? Yeah, you know something we don't know, but it's it's all part of the stick.
Speaker 2: Okay, we've been doing this, uh, the last couple of weeks. Here it's an homage.
Speaker 4: Here. Are you ready for this? Do you know what's happening here?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 15: Okay, I'm going to play you. You've had the sound alike contest, Yes, I have it. You didn't one year, you didn't win the Jim Nance soundtime. You're been a second in the Jym Nan soundlike contest. You know there's AI out there, yes there, Yeah, there's a lot of that stuff.
Speaker 2: Going on out there with sound alike. So go ahead, okay, So I'm going to play you. Seaton is going to play Tony.
Speaker 15: Okay, I have heard Seatan doing his thing.
Speaker 4: But okaykay, here we go, Here we go, here we go. All right, all right, here we go.
Speaker 2: Coming up after the game sixty minutes except on the West Coast. Also a new episode of The Equalizer and Young Sheldon. Now back to the game third and eight, Tony, what do you expect to happen here?
Speaker 4: I don't know, Jim.
Speaker 13: Let mean, you gotta look at McCaffrey. Here do you go to Kittle? Don't forget about Party's legs? I would you do, Jim?
Speaker 4: So what do you think?
Speaker 16: I felt like I was at the Zor Medicant. It really felt authentic. That's so great.
Speaker 15: Well, I have so much fun sitting with Tony at a game or standing most of the time it is.
Speaker 3: It's just nothing quite like it.
Speaker 2: But I mentioned this that you make it look easy because you're great at what you do. When Tony gives you something and sort of hangs there, you kind of have to. You have to either acknowledge, grab it, bring it back to the game, or just go back to the game.
Speaker 3: Depends on where they are with a snap.
Speaker 2: And it's not that easy because time wise, and this is what you know, Tom Brady's gonna have to learn that you no more football than anybody. Can you say it in twenty seconds or fifteen seconds or somebody says, hey, you got twelve seconds. They're counting down, or they may say get it back to gym, and you've got to get it back and go third and eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, and it's not easy to do that.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 15: The transition lines are segues are really key at anything we do in this endustry. What are some that you well, the one I remember when you just said this. We were calling Kansas City hosting Buffalo on December tenth. Buffalo came into the game six and six. They had to win the game. They were three games down to the Dolphins. And this is mid December and we're counting. I'm being counted off the air and I'm like twenty seconds. So on behalf of Tony and Tracey. Now once again, this is how it sounds in Jim's ear.
Speaker 2: I'll be the producer or director going all right, ready, all right, Jimmy, you got twenty.
Speaker 4: Then I'm gonna I'm gonna go.
Speaker 3: Say, Saint Edie's is coming up next?
Speaker 4: What Away Team?
Speaker 3: A night for the Buffalo Bills, for Tony and all the crew.
Speaker 15: Team Jim, Jim, you know what, The Bills could still be the winners of the AFC East.
Speaker 16: Well, Tony, I'm gonna say, I would have to happen for that to occur.
Speaker 3: The Dolphins have to fail. We'll see you've been watching the NFL.
Speaker 4: I'll see that.
Speaker 15: That was the two way conversation and the third conversation.
Speaker 3: In my ear, and that really happened.
Speaker 4: That's what happened.
Speaker 3: This scenario.
Speaker 15: Romo Stredamo's moment, which I'm happy to have been the one that tagged them with that that title. But he brought it up with about twelve seconds to go going off the air after this monster win by the Bills, that they could still win the division. So there are a lot of layers to how you would answer that and get off and hit zero.
Speaker 2: Now, is he told twelve seconds or is he just no, he hears it?
Speaker 4: Oh, when you're gone. Okay, I got to do the math here.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's twelve, yeah, eleven, it's all coming down, grab grab it or your director, let that just.
Speaker 3: Be out there.
Speaker 15: They could not start a new count because in New York at the broadcast Center, the CBS Broadcast Center, they're going to roll a series of commercials that lead up to sixty minutes on back the West coast except on the West coast West Coast.
Speaker 4: Uh. Are you nervous sitting in Super Bowl? No?
Speaker 2: No, no, well, I mean yeah, I'm kind of right now with Okuys. I love being on your show light right before the kickoff.
Speaker 15: I won't be as nervous as I was when I said goodbye to Brent on the air. I was young then and didn't have the wealth of experience I have now. You know, I'll lean on the fact that I have been a part now of nine super Bowl broadcasts. You know, I've I've been there. I'm not in it for granted, ever, I'm filled with gratitude. It's more emotional for me that I'm doing this than it is nervousness. There's the excitement that you're about to go on this journey and it's all improvisational speaking. You're reacting to what you see. There's nothing scripted. So you're about to go on this New Frontier embark and I'm just grateful, you know. I there's hard this much time being in the city leading up to it, and the game. I'm ready for it to take place right now without a note or a spoting board in front of me. If they broke broke out and played a game here at the Fountain Blue, I'm ready to go.
Speaker 4: But I'm appreciative more than anything.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 15: I I will have some things that call me a little bit, and I'll bring people yeah no, no, I mean no, no, no. I'll have inside now you know say that you know me. We know each other really well. So this sounds like something I would do. But on my inside of my CBS blazer where you have the ipat here, you know, we all have a little pocket inside.
Speaker 4: So I will have a baseball card of Jack.
Speaker 15: Whittaker, who was a great friend of mine and I delivered his eulogy when he passed. He called super Bowl one. I'll have mister Whittaker right there. I'll have a sobriety coin that was given to me by Pat Someral, who I was also an understudy for, and Pat called more Super Bowls than anyone in history in the last twenty years of his life. He tried to help a lot of people, and he was on the board at betty Ford and I know what that represented to him. And it was his twenty year coin, I believe, and Jerry is his widow, gave it to me and Pat was an idol, and I want Pat to be represented the super Bowl, so he's there, And then I have a picture that I brought with my mom's first time i'd call super Bowl without either one of my parents being alive. You know, I know I'm not young, but it still hurts, and I want. I want her to be there, right up against my heart. And I'll have a tie on. I guess I'm not supposed to say which time wearing, because I know there are odds.
Speaker 4: All their prop.
Speaker 3: But those who know me and have.
Speaker 15: Seen a certain tie that will wear at a lot of big events is called a forget me not tie, and I don't want to forget my dad, who battled Alzheimer's. So it's a tie that has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for the Nance National Alzheimer Center in Houston is named.
Speaker 3: For my dad. And I will have that tie on.
Speaker 15: So I'll have all those things represented and when I think about they're here, here, all over me.
Speaker 3: I'm calm.
Speaker 2: Would you like a picture of me to maybe put in the blazer as that one?
Speaker 15: I would take it. I'm serious. If you have one, I will have it there. I will because you're a great friend. And I have to say, because I haven't been on in a while, I get asked about when you're going back on Dan's show. I love you on Dan Show. So it's always been an honor.
Speaker 4: You have an open invine.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Send me a card, Jim Nan, take a picture of that being inside of my Okay, I'm going to see if I can have somebody give you a picture and you can put.
Speaker 3: In something we can fit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, An, I was thinking of a larger Okay, so not a larger one.
Speaker 5: Yes, as I say, we have eight by ten glosses, Miss Nan, I don't know they're gonna fit in your breast pocket.
Speaker 4: He's calling the super Bowl again.
Speaker 2: But you were looking live the show that changed sports television forever. That'll be Sunday at one Eastern part of that on CBS.
Speaker 3: A big show.
Speaker 2: So thanks for joining us to get Bread in the Hall of Fame. We will that's do it together.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 4: We'll close up shop here at the Fountain Blue.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow? What a great day. What a great crowd, by the way, thank you. They've been great, great, Third, best crowd we've had this week, right there? Third, I think third. All right, let's rank them Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Todd.
Speaker 7: I'm going to go today's number one.
Speaker 3: Well, then Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Nobody panders the way you do, Todd. Congratulations. All right, find a results of the poll question there. Then we'll talk about who's on the show tomorrow.
Speaker 4: See O'Connor.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we did the greatest college football season ever.
Speaker 4: Just a quarterback, all right?
Speaker 8: Your options were Cam Newton twenty ten, Johnny Manzel twenty twelve, Joe Burrow twenty nineteen, jayde and Daniels twenty twenty three, Joe Burrow running away with it, a lot of write ins for numerous Tim Tebow seasons, which, of course I'm not getting that, and Vince Young also getting a lot of regulars. O.
Speaker 4: Thanks, fine, that's fine.
Speaker 2: But Joe Burrow threw sixty touchdown pass this that's what four interceptions.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's a crazy season. That's a crazy season. Yes, thank you, Todd.
Speaker 13: I see what you just did.
Speaker 4: Well on a Wednesday.
Speaker 8: This is what you do to me on a Wednesday, my us.
Speaker 4: That's nice. That's what Todd will do.
Speaker 9: So here we're in Las Vegas's supposed to be great.
Speaker 6: It's a nice day, the sun's finally out.
Speaker 4: And then this is what you're gonna do to me?
Speaker 6: Got me down?
Speaker 4: He's got me down?
Speaker 2: Yeah, good ranchers. They created another feast over there. It's it's a feast of resistance, is what it is. Thanks to Keeper's heart as well. Middle Light, Original Louisiana Brand, hon Sauce, King Swine and Trager Grills. Chad and Julie doing the honors all week. We brought in our Trager grills because we never leave home without it. Our stat of today brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 4: Guest list for tomorrow Todd Deon.
Speaker 7: Sanders, Joe Montana, Lane Johnson, Max Crosby, din Or Latsky, all will be live.
Speaker 4: All right. I like that.
Speaker 2: You know, we had a member of the audience who we talked to who said Max Crosby when he was on with us at the Super Bowl changed her life when he's talking about you know, alcohol and recovery and addictions.
Speaker 4: Just a couple of years ago, yes, two years ago maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. And she came up and said that Max Crosby changed her life. And that's something I want to bring up to Max when he joins us tomorrow. By the way, he's one of my favorite players because I always say, everybody talks about sacks, I want to know how many times you're going to pressure the quarterback hurries because he never takes a playoff. Ever, he might not lead the league in sacks, but he leads the league. And you know, making sure the quarterback they don't have an official stat on this league discomforts. Yes, yes, he makes the quarterback discomfortable. All right, let's go around the room. What we learn on the program Todd would you learn today?
Speaker 7: Bret Musburger thinks of the Jets didn't beat the Colts and Super Bowl three, they may never been a merger to create the AFCN nfsty.
Speaker 8: All right, seating O'Connor, I think you're about to make another Hall of Famer.
Speaker 4: I'm going to try to to get Brandon and Marvin. What did you learn today?
Speaker 3: Today was Todd's flugame?
Speaker 4: Oh this is the Jordan flu game.
Speaker 13: Well, well somebody gets it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, seriously, this has been one of my favorite shows. Dan you hosting Jim nantz here, Brent Musburger here as bo as good as gets.
Speaker 2: Discover wants everybody to feel special. That's why we discovered card. You have access to twenty four to seven customer service, zero dollar fraud liability. You're never held responsible for unauthorized purchases. Learn more discover dot com slash credit card. Have a great day, everybody. We'll talk to you tomorrow