Speaker 1: Hi everybody. I'm Dan Hord and thanks for downloading The Bengals Booth Podcast. The Simpsons addition, as the Bengals head to Dallas for a Monday night football game that will include a Simpsons themed alternate telecast. Coming up, I'll talk to the NFL Networks Brian Baldinger about Burrow Chase and how to improve the Bengals defense. In our Nova Faux segment, we'll get the lowdown on the Cowboys from Todd Archer, who covers the team for ESPN, and I'll do a story time with Dan this week to explain why there was a sportscaster named for me on an episode of The Simpsons. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed elevate your home, business, and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official health provider of the Bengals. Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered write your phone, tablet, or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since lists. I am a sucker for lists. Every time I see something online like the Rolling Stones five hundred Greatest Albums of All Time or Variety's one hundred Greatest Movies of All Time, I can't help myself. I click the link and spend way too much time studying the list. I suppose the appeal is seeing how it compares to our own. In this case, both lists are wrong. The Rolling Stones number one album of all time is Marvin Gaye's What's going On? To that? I say, what's going on? The correct answer is obviously Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life, which checked in at number four. Varieties number one movie of all time is Psycho, which might not be in my top fifty. My personal favorite, which is correct, came in at number nineteen. Godfather Too. Now time to get to football and my first guest, it is always great to talk football with our guy, Brian Baldinger from the NFL Network, And if you're like me, you love Baldi's breakdowns on social media. Baldia did run this week on Joe Burrow after the Pittsburgh game. Is he playing as well as any quarterback in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Yes, he is. You know, Joe basically all year. You know, I remember seeing him before that first Baltimore game week five there in the jungle, and you know, he came out and said that he basically has to be perfect in order to win. He didn't mean you had to be thirty for thirty, but you had to maximize each one of your possessions because you know things around him, you know, around the team and the injuries they had and defensively just struggles. You know, he had to be really good, and he's been really good. I'm sure he'd like to have a couple of fumbles back last week, but you know, I mean when you've got to drop back and throw it to win, some of those things are going to happen sometimes.
Speaker 1: Let me talk about some of his traits with you, ball placement, toughness, feel in the pocket. What makes you say wow when you put together those bal of these breakdowns on Joe Burrow.
Speaker 2: But I don't even know if those words really define it well enough because of just because it is it is something that and I've talked to Tom Brady about this, It's something you can't coach what he has. You can't coach that feel, when to step up, when to slide in the pocket, when to break the pocket, when to take the hit and deliver the throw. Those kind of things you can't you can't teach. And he's taken his share of lumps since he's bender. And we know this, we know how tough he is. But then just the just the way that he can go through a progression, just to eight from get to A to B to see to deve however he can do it, he does as well as anybody. And then you know his I don't know that anybody's just sat down and taught him how to throw a football. But if you wanted to teach somebody how to throw a football, there was Tom Brady and there's been Joe Burrow. I mean, those two guys is where you would start. If you wanted to just throw the ball the way you know, so that the ball goes where you wanted to go.
Speaker 1: Then there's Jamar Chase. He's at a pace for more than sixteen hundred yards and eighteen touchdown catches this year. How does Jamar do it? Considering that every defense the Bengals face is designed to try to take him away.
Speaker 2: Well, he plays with a great deal of awareness. First of all, Dan, so he knows where he's at in the field, and he knows everybody that's around him, so he has to feel for that. Then he's got extremely strong hands, so anytime there was a contested pass, he's coming, he's going to take the He's going to snatch the ball with his hands. He doesn't rely on trying to body catch things. And then I think the other thing is he's got very quick eyes, quick guys in quick hands, so he sees things. Because what we see Dan, you from you know, from your perspective the broadcast booth. Where I'm from the broadcast booth, the game is totally different. Down the field, I mean, the game is largely obstructed either the quarterback finding the receiver or the receiver finding the quarterback. And then the ball. His ability just to track a ball wherever it is. He's got tremendous eyes and hands. And so when he does score, I think his celebrations are fun because like, he did everything right to score, and there's a lot of things that got to go right to get it in there thirteen times like he has this year.
Speaker 1: Brian Baldinger from the NFL Network is our guest. Let me ask you about another Chase Chase Brown. He's averaging four point four yards of carry. He's out of pace to rush for about one thousand yards this year. What do you think of Chase Brown and what he's at it to the Bengals offense.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, there was a big, you know, big concern, you know when they when Joe Mixon left in free agency and who's gonna step up? And obviously they signed Zach and Zach, you know, had the injury. But Chase has been everything you could want. He's been an excellent runner. He had an excellent game against Pittsburgh. Uh, and then you know he's been an excellent receiver, whether it's a safety, valve screen game. I mean, you can't ask for a whole lot more from a guy that probably came in as your number two running back this year. See how he and he has stepped up tremendously and so he's been durable, he's been he's got very good feel between the tackles. Uh, He's a good contact runner. I think that he has been a big surprise here for for the Bengals.
Speaker 1: The defense has obviously had its struggles. What do you think are some of the most important areas the team is going to have to address going forward?
Speaker 2: Well, pass rush, Dan, I mean pass rush. I mean they've been drafting him, you know, Joseph Sai, you can look at you know, all the guys Jenkins, but I mean outside of Trey right now, nobody's giving you any sort of consistent pass rush right now. And if you can't affect a quarterback, they're gonna do what some of these quarterbacks have done to the Bengals this year. And so I would say it's got to start there. I know they've had, you know, injuries and you know whatever, but pass rush is to me, the one glaring weakness on this defense right now.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Joseph Osai and Chris Jenkins. There are some other young defensive players like Jordan Battle and Miles Murphy that are bound to get a lot of snaps in the final five weeks.
Speaker 2: Of the season.
Speaker 1: How important do you think it is for the Bengals to see what they have with those young defensive players.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's huge. You know, Loo's gonna evaluate everything, you know, the organization has to evaluate this to see just what their priorities need to be in the offseason via free agency or the draft, and so, uh, you know if any of these these five games are important. Now you're going to see you know, Dallas this week, and they've got at least a lot last couple weeks. They've had a backup left tackle in there, they've had a backup right tackle, they've had a rookie center. I mean, this is a pretty good test to see what these guys are going to do. These are not frontline starters that are going up against in some of these positions, and so you know, it's a good test to see if they can go to Dallas and win some of these battles up front.
Speaker 1: Despite some of those things that you mentioned. The Cowboys do come in with a two game winning streak going into the game on Monday night. What is Dallas doing well right now?
Speaker 2: Well, they found a way to beat Washington. You know, they have the two kickoff returns for touchdowns. You know, I always say Dan at the end at the beginning of every season, you want your special teams to help you win two games, but you definitely don't want to have them lose your two games. And so whether it's field goals or block punts or kickoff returns for touchdowns. Cowboys got that against Washington. But I thought on Thanksgiving they ran the ball really well. Rico Dado I thought had his best game running, you know, since he's been a starter in Dallas, and so up front, they did a really good job. Brock Hoffman is a backup right guard for Zach Martin. He played really well. So I think the Cooper BB has really kind of stepped up as a center guy. I think that they can lean on going forward. I think that. And then the other part is Cooper Rush. You know, I know he's a backup quarterback, but he's seven and three is a starter. Now seven and three is a starter. You're starting to get a feel that this guy actually can play the position, can win you games, knows where to go with the ball, knows that the offense goes through CD Lamb and so like he's done a good job of doing that. And then defensively, when we got Michael Parson's back, I thought everything changed. Demarvia On Overshown is a young linebacker that's got tremendous speed. It shows up, but you know, Mica just is just a huge difference maker, and he made everybody on defense the last couple of weeks look a lot better.
Speaker 1: Final thing for our friend, Brian Baldinger. You've been at some Bengals games this year, include the Kansas City game in Week two, when the Bengals seemingly had it wrapped up until they gave up that penalty on fourth and sixteen with less than a minute ago. Is this team the perfect example in twenty twenty four of the thin line in the NFL between having a great season and one that's disappointing.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're four and eight right now, Dan, and they could easily easily be seven and five, easily be seven and five or more. But I mean the first Baltimore game, the Kansas City game. You know, it's it comes down to a play. I know Zach talks about it all the time. You don't know what play it's going to be, when is going to happen, Who's gonna make it? But that's that's what's missing. Either the other team has made a play that has been the difference, or Cincinnati has not been able to make a play in a key spot. And it's the separation between Winley losing and that's why some teams can be out of the playoffs one year and be right back to the playoffs the next year. All of a sudden they make those plays. And I think there's a half a dozen play right now that they can look back on throughout the season, including the first Kansas City game for sure. But you could look back and say they could be right in a hunt with the Chargers in Denver and some of these other teams looking for wildcard spots right now.
Speaker 1: You've got a really busy schedule and you always make time for us. I greatly appreciate it, Brian, and keep up the great work.
Speaker 2: Damn my pleasure anytime, man.
Speaker 1: Good luck this week of Dallas, we found out this week that the Bengals are going to have a new kicker on Monday night. Evan McPherson suffered a groin injury on one of his pats in last week's game against Pittsburgh and was placed on the injured list. So the Bengals had a few kickers in for tryouts on Wednesday, and the winner was Cade York, who was LSU's kicker in twenty nineteen when Joe Burrow led the Tigers to a national championship. York kicked for Cleveland in twenty twenty two and for Washington in a game earlier this year, and he's eager to show NFL teams that he's capable of being one of the league's thirty two starting kickers. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just making kicks. As simple as it sounds, it can be hard at times too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I never stopped kicking the ball bad or stopped kicking the ball good. Just kicked bad at the wrong time. It's happened a couple of times now, So I just got to kick good at the right times and it'll work out.
Speaker 1: Reunited with Burrow and Chase.
Speaker 3: Yeah said there, hello's this morning. Yeah, it reminds me of college. So the last time it actually been a part of a winning team was back then. So I don't know if I'm a bad omen or something, but hopefully not.
Speaker 4: What do you remember most about that that season? Like what in your mind, like what's sticks out?
Speaker 3: A lot of extra points and just like it like spoiled the rest of my college career because it was like, Okay, you just go out there and beat everybody by fifty and always had to be like paying attention to the field because you either throwing a seventy five yard touchdown or Derek Singley's having a pick six or something like that. You're always paying attention. And then the next few years I found myself kicking in the net too much because I was always ready to go, and then we kept getting stalled. So a lot more long caicks after that.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, with Evan's success here, when he's healthy, he's going to be the kicker again. Do you look at this as a four or five game opportunity to show the rest of the NFL what you can do in games?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I'm just here while they got me here. Obviously know how good Evan is and I'm a big fan of his and good friends. But yeah, I'm excided to spend some time with him and just get to know some of the guys here and score some points.
Speaker 1: York is from McKinney, Texas, a Dallas suburb, so he'll be kicking in front of friends and family on Monday night and his girlfriend will have a great view of the action. Her name is Zoe Dale and she's a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader. The Bengals Booth podcast is brought to you by pay Corps proud to be the Bengals Official HR software provider by Alta Fiber future Proof Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business, and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now time for this week's Know the Faux Segment. Like the Bengals, the Cowboys had high expectations this year after winning twelve or more games in each of the last three seasons. But it's been a tough year in Dallas, as the Cowboys are five and seven and giving up an average of twenty eight points a game. Todd Archer, who used to cover the Bengals for the old Cincinnati Post, covers the Cowboys now for ESPN and joined Dave Lapham and me this week on the Bengals Game Plan Show. Are you surprised the Bengals are favored?
Speaker 5: No, I'm not surprised that they are favored, even though they have a worst record and you know all that stuff, because as much as the Cowboys have one two in a row, this has been a struggle of a season for it's been in trouble at home they just won their first home game of the year on Thanksgiving against the Giants. They've been outscored by ninety some odd points in the other five games, so not too surprising when you factor in what this season has looked like up to this point, even with their better play as of late.
Speaker 4: So let me ask you, Todd, the question that everybody's talking about. It's all over ESPN, all over everywhere NFL network. Well, Mike McCarthy be the head coach next year for the Dallas Cowboys. Do you think?
Speaker 5: I think, honestly, it's kind of so up in the air. I'm not saying Jerry is his patient, as Mike Brown, you know, has proven to be with coaches over the years. But he gave Jason Garrett nine years as this team's head coach, and now he had a longer relationship with Jason they did with Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 2: But Jerry has.
Speaker 5: Said on the radio here of this last week, it wouldn't be a crazy thing to think that Mike McCart if he could get an extension. I think some of it is how this season ends. And certainly they're playing better sound and more sound football. You can probably maybe learn not more but learn as much about a coach when he doesn't have his guys. Obviously, Dak Prescott season's over. So if the Cowboys were to finish well, and I don't know if that means getting the eight wins, getting the nine wins or whatever, but they can finish well, then I can see Jerry having a case to keep him based off the three twelve and five seasons that they had in twenty one, twenty two, and twenty three. So not out of the realm of possibility when you think of Jerry's history with coaches and now he's gone about things. But there'll be some names. I'm sure it will intrigue a lot of people.
Speaker 2: And we'll see.
Speaker 5: If I remember he's eighty two. Because you want to start over with a whole new coach with a team that he thinks wants healthy is good.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you really want to do that, right.
Speaker 1: The ESPN's Todd Archer is our guest. How much are the Cowboys struggles due to injuries and are they getting healthier with the Bengals coming to town on Monday Night.
Speaker 6: Look.
Speaker 5: Mike McCarthy tells us all the time that they won the Super Bowl in green Bay when they played seventy seven players. So it's hard to use injuries as an excuse, but it is a reason, right. I mean, you've not had Deron Bland, their Pro Bowl corner guys to an NFL record for pick six last. Yer has played in two games. DeMarcus Lawrence hasn't played since the middle of September. Micah Parsons missed four games with an ankle, and obviously I mentioned Dak Prescott. He's out for the year with a hamstring injury that required surgery. So yes, the injuries have hurt this team. They are getting healthier. I don't think you'll see DeMarcus Lawrence this week, but you might see well. I part of me wondered if Zach Martiner returned this week. It doesn't sound like that might be happening either. They're getting healthier at at different spots. But when this team was healthy's in they weren't playing well. And that's basically you know, even when they had everybody at the beginning of the season, they were still getting blown out by New Orleans in Week two, smothered by Baltimore despite what the finals score looked like. In Week three, like this is just a team that has not put it all together even when they're all good. So injuries are a reason, but it's not the only reason. This is a team that kind of misevaluated their losses in free agency and their lack of work in free agency to replace those guys.
Speaker 4: A couple of things that I scanned stats getting ready for, you know, for the football game. Fumbles. Twenty four fumbles. The ball's been on the ground two times a game for the Cowboys. They've lost ten of them. Could be worse, obviously, putting twenty four on the ground. That one jumped out at me. The other thing was they've rushed for four touchdowns, dead last in the league. They've allowed twenty one, dead last league. That minus touchdown rushing race minus seventeen is staggering, you know, in a in a twelve twelve game stretch of a season. Is what's up with the ground game?
Speaker 6: What the name is Rico Rica McDonald is going on around here? It's it's it is staggering.
Speaker 5: And what's funny, like the turnovers and the fumbles and things, they've actually been better here the last couple of games. Cooper Rush hasn't thrown an interception, in the last couple of games, they've they've done a better job of protecting the ball, although McCarthy noted today that they're the ball of smoot on the on the ground too much, even if they recovered it. The run defense, though, I mean that those numbers are bad, and don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sugarcoat it, but it's been better as of late. And some of that is Parsons being back, and some of that I think is Mike Zimmer doing different things and not just letting teams run all over them by just lining up the same way. He's changed his front, he's added guys to the box, he's on defense, he's blitzed more, maybe than he thought he would coming into the season. He's still a lot of the same stuff you guys probably saw in Cincinnati, but he's added more things as the season's gone on because he's had to. But the run defense has been better, if not what it needs to be, especially the last two games. And some of it is poor tackling, but I think they've done a better job of just understanding their gaps and where they're supposed to be and not guessing and not trying to play hero ball a guy like Manzie Smith, their first round pick defensive tackle for Michigan. He's played much further of these last two games. I think some of it is because he's gone against centers that he's had success against. I'm curious to see how he does when he plays players he's not really seen before. But the run, the defense has been better. It's still not good enough, but I think Zim deserves credit for not just rolling out the same defense every week and trying to do the same old thing. He's changed things.
Speaker 2: Up a lot.
Speaker 1: Lapp gave some numbers that caught his eye. Here's one that caught mine. Their kick returner Cavante Turpin is averaging more than thirty six yards per kickoff. It's close to an NFL record. He's got a kick return touchdown and a punt return touchdown.
Speaker 2: How good is Turpin?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he's got a sixty four yard touchdown catch too. The kick return stuff, it's funny. John Fossil, their special teams coach, was one of the authors of this new rule right, and I think he liked it because he knew he had a special guy in Turpin. And they'll they'll take it out they're not just you know, if it's eight or nine deep, they might sit back there and just take the touchback. But they're gonna take some chances. And one thing you'll notice, and Labs priority noticed from watching the film is when he takes his kickoff for turns, he kind of lows you to sleep. He starts with like a well for us, it would be a sprint, for him, it's a jog, and then he just turns the switch and goes and if he the hole, it allows the hole to open more in the in the new dynamic kickoff deal, and he's been dynamic. He's he reached twenty two miles an hour I think in that ninety nine yard kickoff against or twenty one and twenty one nine or something like that, and that kickoff against Washington where he did.
Speaker 2: The spin move.
Speaker 5: He's he's a guy that's dynamic with the ball in his hand, and they're trying to find different ways to get the ball in his hands. Uh, even on offense at receiver as well, sometimes even lining him up in the backfield.
Speaker 4: All Right, Tyler got another thing that jumped out at me red zone in the twilight zone offensively thirty first in the NFL and touchdown percentage defensively thirty second in the NFL. Touchdown percentage, teams have scored uh ninety four point nine percent of the time when they get in the red zone touchdown or field goal against Dallas thirtieth in the league. They've only scored seventy one point nine percent of the time touchdown or field goal, thirty first in the league. How come the red zones? Twilight zone?
Speaker 5: Tell me who scares your offensively?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Right beside ceedee Lamb right, and then the game's Yeah, he's the only guy. Jakes Ferguson's a good tide and he's missed the last couple of games with a concussion. He was slowed early with a knee injury. He's the guy that can make some plays down there for you, But they really don't have a lot of guys that can scare you in the red zone. Brandon Cooks had a red zone touchdown last week against the Giant. Has a lot of speed where he can get you on crossers and things, so we'll see if that continues with him being backed. Lamb should play, although he's been battling his shoulder injury. Ferguson's expected back from that concussion, But yeah, they just don't have a lot and they One thing Bill Parcells said when I was covering the Cowboys here was the best red zone teams are the ones that can run the ball into the end zone. Well they can't and they haven't. And you mentioned four rushing touchdowns in the league, so they get behind it as soon as you get in the red zone. They might have a penalty although a negative player or something like that. So it's been bad all year and I look at it. In the last two games, they're four for seven and scoring touchdowns inside the red zones, so it's actually been better than what it had been all year. But there's too many games with no touchdowns with multiple red zone attempts, and that's really been the big difference in this offense, which the year ago led the league in scoring at more than twenty nine points. Now they're eight points below that going into this game. So it's been a struggle everywhere and offense.
Speaker 4: Final question, sir, appreciate your time and your expertise. Thirty four quarterback sacks for the Dallas Cowboy defense. Parsons got six and a half the injuries you're talking about. It's been a factor there. But they've got six different players with three or more sacks. The Bengals, you know, they got Trey Hendrickson with eleven and a half, but nobody else with more than two. Is it? Is it Mike Zimmer's scheme? Is it talent across the board? Where so many people are contributing three or more sacks with only twelve games into the season. I mean, that's a that's a pretty impressive number.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny.
Speaker 5: One of those guys with three, it's to Marcus Lawrence, and as I mentioned, he's not played in September, so it's I would say it's a lot of it is Zimmer's scheme and the pressure that he's been able to get in the free runners. He's been able to get on on quarterbacks with not just the double a gap stuff that you guys know that he loves to do, but just kind of overloading offensive lines and and getting pre hits on quarterbacks that he's been really good there. But honestly, that number is really kicked up since Michael Parson has been back, and he's the guy that, yeah, everybody's got to account for him. And sometimes that doesn't even matter because the kids athletically so gifted that he can just kind of do whatever he wants again to however many blockers he has. But one guy I think you guys will like to see on Monday is the marve On Overshown, second year kid out of Texas. He had a pick six for a touchdown last week. He also what a sack. I think I want to read this and make sure I get it right. He's only the third Cowboy since eighty two to have the least five sacks, an interception, of fumble recovery, and a forced fumble. The other two guys in team history do that are DeMarcus Ware and Greg Ellis. I'm not saying he's DeMarcus Ware, but he has an athleticism and a burst and a jump to his game that honestly reminds me of Where and a little.
Speaker 2: Bit of Parsons.
Speaker 5: He's the guy I think you guys enjoy watching on Monday thanks to.
Speaker 1: Todd Archer, who does an outstanding job of covering the Cowboys for ESPN. Finally, on Monday night, you'll have three options for watching the game on TV. The regular ESPN tele with Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, the Manning Cast with Peyton and Eli on ESPN two, and an alternate telecast on Disney Plus and ESPN Plus called The Simpson's Fun Day Football. It promises to transport viewers into the Simpsons universe with a real time animated viewing experience that will match the game action as Bart Simpson and the Bengals take on Homer Simpson and the Cowboys live from Adams Stadium in Springfield. Lisa and Marge will service on field sideline reporters, and that is the inspiration for this episode of story Time with Dan. Here's the concept. I've been broadcasting in some way, shape or form since weaving My Magic on WAER FM eighty eight, the student radio station at Syracuse University, where I called foot ball, basketball, and lacrosse. In fact, the first lacrosse game I ever saw I called on the radio. In case you're wondering, I was abysmal, but hopefully I've gotten better, and after all these years, I have a few stories to tell this week on Storytime with Dan. It's my true claim to fame. Here goes, I'm about to play a clip from season two of the Simpsons. It's an episode called Dance and Homer where Homer Simpson becomes the mascot for the local minor league baseball team, the Springfield Isotopes. In this clip, Blues singer Bleeding Gums Murphy belts out the national anthem with shall we say, lots of flair. When he starts, the clock over his shoulder reads seven thirty. By the time he's done, it reads seven fifty six. I am going to play the Simpsons clip, and then I want you to listen closely to what the radio play by play man says when ding Gums Murphy is finished singing no Honor America.
Speaker 5: When you play rhyme for our national anthem sunknighted by spring Field Bleeding Gums.
Speaker 2: O say can you I'm asking can you t theck Glen.
Speaker 5: The bombs first suited all popping.
Speaker 6: Will in the.
Speaker 2: O Breay.
Speaker 7: Hotty High, Springfield, Dan Horde, Mike side Tonight, our Isotopes take on the pesky Shelbyville Shelby Williams. The Topes are looking to snap that darn twenty six game losing streak longest and professional baseball. How about that our sleepy town is in the record book.
Speaker 1: That's right, the baseball play by play announcer on that episode of The Simpsons was named Dan Horde. Now here's the story. When I was a senior at Syracuse University, I was hired to be the radio announcer for the Syracuse Chiefs, the top minor league farm club for the Toronto Blue Jays. I did the games alone for a couple of years, and then one off season a baseball audition tape and resume arrived in the mail from a guy looking for a minor league broadcasting job. His name was Ken Levine and was quite the resume. Ken was an Emmy Award winning screenwriter for such shows as Mash and Cheers, But even though he had a hugely successful career, his childhood dream was to be a baseball broadcaster. So one summer he bought two season tickets in the upper deck behind home plate at Dodger Stadium, set his equipment up in one, sat down in the other, and called every game into a tape recorder in hopes of getting a job. At the end of that year, he sent his audition tape to every minor league team in the country. So we popped in Ken's tape and as you might expect, this guy who wrote for Mash and Cheers was really funny. So my boss said, I wonder what he'd be willing to work for. He called up Ken in Los Angeles and offered him the opportunity to be my broadcast partner for the five month minor league baseball season for the whopping sum of five thousand dollars one thousand bucks a month. Ken said, I'll take it. Because of his success as a screenwriter. He didn't really need the money. He just wanted to get experience as a professional baseball announcer. So he lugged his wife and two young kids to Syracuse and we spent a season together broadcasting minor league games. Predictably, we had a ton of laughs. Unfortunately, the ones we had on the air were basically heard by the person running the broadcast back at the station. It had such a crappy signal that we were convinced it was powered by a hamster on a treadmill. Ken had a million funny lines that summer, but my favorite came on a night in Omaha, Nebraska. The weather was miserable. It was about one thousand degrees in the press box, brutal humidity, and there were a bunch of dead insects in the radio booth in short nasty. So that night Ken began the broadcast as follows, Higain everybody, and welcome to Syracuse Chiefs Baseball tonight. It's game one of the three game series between the Chiefs and the Omaha Royals here in Omaha, Nebraska, and the big question going into the game is why do people live here. We'll be back with the first pitch right after this. So we developed a great friendship, and after Ken went home to Los Angeles at the end of the year, he wrote the Dance and Homer episode of The Simpsons and named the baseball broadcaster Dan Horde. I didn't do the voice. The person who did was Ken Levine. So here's another short clip from the episode. We pick it up with Homer Simpson becoming Dance and Homer as he dances on the dugout in hopes of firing up the crowd, followed by the Dan Horde character doing a little play by play, and I got.
Speaker 5: Up in front of him and I dumped an intoxication that had nothing to do with alcohol. It was the intoxication of being a public spectacle.
Speaker 8: There's some nutdown in right field dancing up the store.
Speaker 1: He's really got the crowd going, but.
Speaker 8: Seemed to get cheek a mediuner slugger, big Bilma story swung on and built it a deep left field. It's going going, It's gone.
Speaker 2: It's down in here. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So there it is my true claim to fame. There was once a Dan Horde character on The Simpsons. Perhaps the only thing about me that's ever impressed my son Sam. That concludes story time with Dan and this episode of the Bengals Booth podcast brought to you by pay Core, Proud to be the Bengals official hr software provider, by aulta Fiber future proof Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengal If you haven't done so already, please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a minute, give it a rating or share a comment that helps more Bengals fans find us. I'm Dan Horde and thanks for listening to The Bengals Boot Podcast