Speaker 1: First of all, you don't know me.
Speaker 2: We all about that high school drama. Girl drama girl, all about them high school queens. We'll take you for a ride, and our comic.
Speaker 3: Girl shared for the right drama Queens of girl fashion, but your tough girl, you.
Speaker 2: Could sit with us.
Speaker 1: Girl Drama, Queens, Drama, queise drama, Queens Drama Drama, Queens Drama Queens.
Speaker 4: We're talking about the theme song of our show and wondering whether or not Gavin loves performing it out or if he's just like totally burnt out on it.
Speaker 5: I desperately need the YouTube audience. I just need everyone to tune into YouTube so they can catch Joy doing her makeup while we're like, you are bringing Multita my.
Speaker 4: Nasty paint covered nails. It's like, this is so gross. All week long, I've been like reaching for things and I have my nails are covered in house paints from painting sets. I keep reaching for things and people, or like eating at restaurants and people are just looking at and staring at me, my dinner companion.
Speaker 5: Anyone who's going to turn their nose up at you having paint on your nails.
Speaker 2: It's a second glance. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think it's worth the second glance. They look pretty nasty.
Speaker 5: I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's just internal.
Speaker 5: Let's go back to the thing about does a musician just get tired of singing the same song over and over? I mean, think if every day when you showed up to work as an actor, you had to perform the same scene, yeah, or the same monologue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, greatest hits like Laurence Olivier always had to do poor Horatio, like you know, like the greatest hits of every actor. If they did concerts, they would just have to run through their repertoire every time.
Speaker 5: I think it would be especially tough if you really only had one big hit, because I think it would be this thing where you would come to resent it. I think if you had a catalog it would be different. But I think if you had one thing, and as soon as you started playing anything else, everyone's like, play the bether one, right, you probably wish you weren't. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like if you're the Rolling Stones and every song's a hit, you're having a great time. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, But if.
Speaker 2: Everyone only knows one, I don't know. I mean, I really wonder how Gavin feels about it because even what we were talking about, I think before we started recording, so for our friends at home, we were discussing like what our experiences when we're out in public and the song comes on. Essentially we all feel like we're getting punked. It's like, there's nothing like walking down an aisle in the grocery store and being like, wait a second, oh god, oh no, oh no, everyone's looking at me. There's nowhere to hide, there's no corner, and you're like, oh, where do I go? This is so awkward And it is really you know, because people kind of look and they're like eh, and you're like, I know, I don't know what to say. You're just like, you don't know what to do with my body right now. And I wonder, I don't know. I wonder what the experience is like for him. Do you think he loves twenty years of TV royalties or do you think he's like, god, damn it, they ruined my best song. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm going to text him right now. This is a voice text for Gavin. Okay, Hey, what's up. We're podcasting right now, and we me, Sophia and Rob all want to know if you love performing I don't want to be, or if you are so tired of it after twenty years and you sort of present it.
Speaker 5: Is.
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 2: This is our question. Okay, coming back, I hope you're great.
Speaker 5: This is this is peak podcasting. Incredible listening to Joyce and voice notes, just to fully pull back the curtain to the audience. Yes, what we were talking about. Right before I started recording, I opened this conversation with saying that I cannot stand our show's theme song. Now let me say this. Please don't hear what I'm not saying. I love our show, and that is not me coming for Gavin. I have just heard it so many times, and I have had such a weird relationship with the show itself that the theme song, I think, kind of took the brunt of that. So it's yeah, it's a trick. Unfortunately, it has been stuck in my head for like the last day and a half. So I found myself walking around this morning being like, I can't If I never hear that song again, I will be so grateful because it's just.
Speaker 2: Been hanging around in your brain.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, and I don't even know all the words. I know like two lines and then the rest I know, just like a bits and pieces, which makes it even worse.
Speaker 2: You have the guitar riff, yes, yeah, and you're like.
Speaker 5: And I'm like, anything but.
Speaker 2: This that is so funny. Do you know the happy Birthday trick? What's fa something about the I don't know if it's the melody or the notes or whatever about Happy Birthday. That supposedly, if you have a song stuck in your head and then you sing Happy Birthday to yourself, it'll be gone. But Happy Birthday doesn't stick.
Speaker 4: It's the backup song that is Hotel California also works for that.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, oh, I feel like that would get stuck in my head.
Speaker 4: I loved the really Now it's like it's not catchy enough because all the notes are sort of a lot of the chords are more dissonant and more sharps and flats. I mean, I'm I'm not a composer. I don't know how to read music, but I know the tone and it always it always works.
Speaker 2: You do write music, No, I do. I just don't.
Speaker 4: I can't read music, so I don't know how I to write chords or like speak the music language of chords.
Speaker 2: But I can tell you that it does work. Interesting.
Speaker 5: I was also in a way, I deserve this because I have had shares. Do you Believe in? Life after Love? Stuck in my head for about a week and a half now, and I was, I was complaining, we have a rule in our house where if Jenny or I have a song stuck in our head, we're not allowed to sing it or tell the other person because they are highly contagious, so you just have to suffer in silence. And so for the last week and a half, I've just been do you believe? In my head? And I'm just like, what did I do to deserve this? And then I got our theme song stuck in my head and I was like, I could diggle a deeper hole. It turns out that was my rock body. Well, welcome to the show, everybody.
Speaker 2: Now you're here to talk about it. And it's Valentine's Day everyone, Yeah.
Speaker 5: All right, what do we have today? Season eight, episode fifteen. Valentine's Day is over, or as I like to call it, mid season. Male Wishful film, February fifteenth, twenty eleven. Synopsis, Sex, games, secrets, and shoelaces all come into play as the couples of Tree Hills, so the breat Valentine's Day directed by Paul Johansson.
Speaker 2: He did such a great job with this episode.
Speaker 4: I knew the second that I saw the Nathan and Haley bathroom scene of us brushing our teeth and like talking and all the choreography of that. I knew that Paul had directed this episode because I had forgotten about that. But that scene we worked. We worked really hard on that because it was just one shot, so we had extra rehearsal time. And he had a lot of fun with this episode. I think he really brought a lot of fun ideas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very sweet, and the shooting over you too, but getting your coverage in the mirror, and the choreography of longtime married couple swapping mouthwash and talking about is it a blackhead? Is it a rash? I was like, oh my god, it just was so I don't know, it was fun and really charming, and I felt like so much much of the episode managed to be charming, which felt really nice given Rob's point about the amount of wish fulfillment. You know, like when you have grown ups writing sex game scripts, you're like, but it was charming, and I really cherished that, at least for myself and Austin. We had Paul directing this with us because he knew how to. Instead of leaning in and making things gratuitous and kind of gross, we really ramped up on the wardrobe the comedy. But then we went so comedic and it got to be so goofy and so physical, and I just remember how much fun we had with it, and yeah, it felt it sort of felt like the best outcome, and I felt incredibly protected with those two and it all really did mean most of it anyway, really did make me laugh. I enjoyed watching this one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that must you for sure win MVP by MVP, I mean most valuable and most vulnerable player. Here's what I will say. As soon as the episode opened, I remembered this. I was just like, oh, buddy, okay, so soar in her paycheck this week. But I will say I also noticed that it was just you and Austin in the same location, and I went, Okay, listen the work this week. But she was done in like two days. Yeah, so you had a nice break. So at least I feel like you got a reward for going through this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. I remember getting this U when we get the script and you go, oh my god, am I about to win the schedule lottery? And then I remember when the day out of days came out and I was like, I'm going home and I want to go home for like a whole week. And it was so nice. That's so great.
Speaker 4: It was so Actually I wondered, when you got the script, how do you handle how did you handle that? Because obviously that would have been really kind of upsetting to read all that At first, I'm assuming, but then knowing Paul was directing, is it just like did you have a panic or were you just like, I'm just going to go talk to Paul and we'll figure this out. It's fine.
Speaker 2: I don't totally remember, to be honest, what I remember. I always felt better when Paul was directing. Of course, I I remember honestly being like, aw cool, Robin Chantell get to watch City and Color in their clothes and I have to do this. And I was like also because I was bummed because I knew I was going to go home with my you know, five days off, and so I couldn't like sneak to set and hang for the show. But yeah, I know that I was excited, not excited. I know that I was what's the word I'm looking for, comforted? I guess knowing Paul was going to be directing. And what I love about Paul, you know when he does the this and he like gives you the look and he has his he has his little close mouth laugh where he goes it's all right. I remember going to find him and he goes, did you read it?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: And what I loved about it is I knew he already had thoughts. And we really talked about the you know, our great favorite comedic women, and he was like, we'll figure out all your all your moments. You know, you'll have Sophia La Ren moments, you'll have Lucille ball moments. And I was like, that sounds amazing. And then the thing that I knew I needed to figure out was wardrobe because everything was written like lingerie, lingerie, lingerie, and so Carol and I were like, okay, well, if we have to do, you know, the French made thing will really make it feel beautiful and like Bridget BARDOI and sixties and we'll put you in tights and then you know, for the pizza thing. It was like, Okay, well let's do this full body suit moment, so I didn't have to feel like I was supposed to be completely exposed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, Yeah, it was a lot of underwear, but like got more costume me than yeah, than underwear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it felt more costume and I didn't have to prance around with like my ass cheeks out. You know. I was essentially wearing like a red one piece bathing suit and then like had a robe off and then right back on, and the robe served for comedy, and so much of it actually was so funny. Even the French made costume. We like tripled up the little petticoats, so when Austin spun me around, it did like a full twirl and like that stuff felt really fun, And I think those things are cool when you're when you have a team that's going to support you to make you as comfortable as possible. Because our boss made so many of us, I mean all of us uncomfortable in our own ways and in our own moments, and so knowing what was written on the page and then knowing what we got to do, I was like, Paul's a G, Carol's a G. Our team is great.
Speaker 4: It actually served a great purpose too, because once the audience gets the information mentally, oh, this is not going to be a t and as show for me, they could just focus on you guys and your performances. And that's really what shone through, shown shined was shining.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's what was shining through was the two of you because you had so much fun with it and it wasn't just the same thing over and over again. You really got to experiment and play and yeah, it was great.
Speaker 2: It's really fun. Yeah we did. It was really fun.
Speaker 5: Sometimes the beauty pageant hijacks the scene, right and in this case, and I should say like the skin show, not just like the but like so it never happened though with you guys, it was like you were wearing something beautiful, but the comedy and the story was still the focal point. For example, a scene where that wasn't successful was the opener when you're in the kitchen and Austin walks out with his pants so low I know, standards and practices, was like, oh my god, to the point that I called Jenny and through him and I was like, excuse me, have you ever seen a lower pair of pants in your life. And she was like and she was like, excuse me, yeah, you every time you've been shirts, Cameron. I was like, oh my bad. But it was just like, for example, so that when that happened, like I stopped hearing dialogue and was just like, my lord, did I just get pregnant? What happened? And that never happened with any of the sex game stuff, but in an opening scene, I was like, this is what it's become. All I'm doing is just staring at Austin's Bear Tor.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he was a good sport. He was. He was really he was. He was doing an ab show for everybody for much of the episode.
Speaker 5: Also fair considering that every role playing it was him and like Bear like him dressed basically every single time in normal clothes in you So it was it's it was a good team play that he was like, I will gladly do this one wildly gratuitous, dangerously low pants scene in exchange for your eight different fantasy Totally.
Speaker 2: I also, I remember I remembered a lot of them. When it started, I was like, oh right, I know what we're doing. This is the you know, Valentine's day at home, whole role play day, and then we got to the babysitter one and I was like, I hate this, I hate this, this is so it yuck. And then I literally wrote down, thank god we were the same age. Thank god we called it creepy. And then I go, oh oh, but then we switch it. Now I'm a creep Okay, yeah, I was like, this is the one that just I was like, maybe we could have thrown in the towel on that and been like never mind, never mind and left it there instead of putting him in the schoolboy position. But whatever, he looked cute in his letterman jacket.
Speaker 5: I moved on, Does anyone actually eat those heart candies? No?
Speaker 4: I love them what. I love the purple ones, I love the orange ones. Sometimes I like the pink ones. They're a little pepto bismally, but I like.
Speaker 5: Them so they actually have different flavors. Yeah, they're not just different colors.
Speaker 2: I love them. Learn something, you guys don't eat those, absolutely not.
Speaker 5: It's the same reason I don't eat the packing peanuts. When I open up there you go.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say they're chalky, but Rob really illustrated the point.
Speaker 5: I'm shocked. I'm shocked joy you know what. That also makes sense, so because in the scene Haley reaches across and takes a handful and slugs about half of it in one So that was clearly that was a joy choice that just happened to work for Haley being Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was so excited about eating those. You have to be careful when you eat ho hose I do not like, and so that was definitely something we had to have a little spit bucket on the side for me.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's talk about that because I have a question, So we're gonna let's just jump to that end scene of Quick. You and James are laying in a bed. You take a bite of the ho ho. I was very aware of this. I was waiting for where's the cut for the spit take or the spit bucket. But you take good bite, you chew, you talk, and then you start kissing me. So my question is, if there was a spit bucket, how did that work?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, they shoot from different angles. That wasn't the only I don't think that was the only shot.
Speaker 5: Go back and watch it, sister. They live in that shot from the bite the chew, the talk, and the kiss. You were giving a kiss with some ho ho in your mouth.
Speaker 2: That's weird. I was maybe you took a dany diny bite.
Speaker 4: Maybe I just am remembering a pitbucket and there wasn't one. But I don't like ho hosts, so I don't know. Sorry if I'm speaking out of turn. I thought I thought there was one, but maybe not. Maybe I just had to stomach it. Maybe we only shot it like twice because I don't like ho hose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, by the way, I wouldn't surprise me if Paul was like, I think I might want this in one shot? Can you do? Can you do a take without this bit bucket? And you were like, h oh, well, it would have.
Speaker 4: Been there for after for after the when when they because they ended. He ended the episode by slowing the kiss down and then went to black, So that would have been what it was that I would have spit it out after he said cut six.
Speaker 5: Yeah, were just the logistics of having a chewed up ho ho in your mouth while you kiss memes and then cut and then I cut my.
Speaker 4: Lips closed, you know, I mean, yeah, yep.
Speaker 5: Listen, you you go all in on your craft. Okay, that's what I love. You're brave, you're fearless. You eat the ho ho, you chew it up and then you open mouths.
Speaker 2: God gross, can you imagine what you're doing?
Speaker 4: And how about Haley in her house in lubatons or that's the implication anyway, with the painted bottom of the shoe, she's.
Speaker 2: In high heels climbing on ladders. I wrote this.
Speaker 4: Down and talking about how everything is swollen, including your.
Speaker 2: Like she's so uncomfortable, but she's in stilettos. Yeah, that was weird. That was a weird, uh situation. I wonder why? And on the step stool and like running around the house.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting to me that they always wanted us in such high heels. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: It felt for a moment like I was watching a cautionary take. Yes, like a pregnant woman on a step ladder in high heels, Like what are we how many hats on a heath do we need?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they did it to you in this episode, and then they do it to me at the end of the season exactly that. Oh yeah, yeah, And I remember being I remember when it was my turn being like, who would do this?
Speaker 4: And I was why pregnant, Yes, climbing on these step stools in high heel.
Speaker 5: Again, fearless, joy, what you do for your own It was.
Speaker 2: All those little sweethearts you got hopped up on sugar. That's what I want and you felt like a superhero. Give me the high heels.
Speaker 5: I did love the sort of opening juxtaposition of the three couples I guess four couples, but I noticed specifically the transition from Claying Quinn having hot shower whoopee, to then going to Haley and Nathan brushing teeth. What's this spot on my back gargling I love you, love you too, pat on the back. I was like, great depiction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I loved the and it was the line was Valentine's Day is hot, and then they cut to Nathan with the nose clippers and his nose trise.
Speaker 5: I enjoyed watching Julian attempt accents with the different characters, like he he definitely put one on for Thor and then for the next one the French made one. It seemed like it was just kind of dip in his toe in the accent pool here and there, Which was which was so perfectly Julian. It felt very right. You know that he wouldn't have like an accent down. He would just sort of be like, I'm going to give it a shot.
Speaker 2: You know, he's a director, he's not an actor. I liked his you know, Jersey Boys adjacent vibe as the handyman. It was very cute. And then my god, when he walks in in the suit and the glasses, I was like, he looks like Clark kt oh, totally, Like why did Austin never audition for Superman?
Speaker 5: Maybe he did? Maybe maybe they saw this episode and they thought just it's too much sex.
Speaker 2: Too much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sex Pylon. Do you remember that name?
Speaker 2: What I told you?
Speaker 5: I worked with a director who did an episode of our show, and I guess it was one of the ones introducing Austin's character, and he was like, yeah, he was. It was when he was the new sex Pylon on the show. And I was like, I have never heard a.
Speaker 2: Funnier n sex pylon.
Speaker 5: Sex Pilon Incredibly, you'll come in wearing pants that low.
Speaker 2: You've earned it, shoe fits, you've earned it. Listen we we oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I loved the uh Haley finding this necklace, which yeah, bless it. It looks like it purchased at a drug store. And she opens it. She's like oh, And then Quinn goes, oh, I wanted that.
Speaker 2: I was like, neither of you wanted that.
Speaker 5: No, you liars. You actually have good taste. You dress well on the show. No one wants a giant heart necklace unless it's coming from like Jamie. Yeah, sure, wonderful, But come on, gang, could we not find a little smaller something?
Speaker 2: It just really needed to read on camera, but the full palm size was too big. This tells me Rob that you are probably an excellent Valentine's Day gift giver. No ooh, I like where this is going?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Well ooh the answer is yes. Look how browd he is.
Speaker 5: No, it's yes and no, right, not anymore because I have always had it much like Clay, I have a beef with Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: Okay, why like I?
Speaker 5: Because I don't need one holiday to be designated for like this is when you should be a romantic. Valentine's Day to me is as unromantic as when you're at a restaurant and the person walks by with a basket of roses and goes would you like a rose for the lady. It's like there has never been a lazier expression of romance than when a guy goes, yeah, here's a ten spot. Here you go.
Speaker 2: No, it's very weird.
Speaker 5: So the same thing. It just feels contrived and so no, like I don't we don't even like really acknowledge it anymore. But when I was dating, yeah, then I would put on a show. But I always resented the fact that I felt like it's pressure.
Speaker 4: It's like there's some sort of arbitrary pressure created by everything around you, and you're like, why is this, why does this exist?
Speaker 2: There's no reason for it? Well, it's it's literally the death gargle of late stage capitalism. They're like, hey, if you're not a T shirt, as if we didn't get you to spend enough money just before New Year's now you need a whole other holiday and it's about jewelry.
Speaker 4: Like, come on, death, I'm writing this down death gargle.
Speaker 2: It's the death gargle.
Speaker 5: Stay is it the death rattle?
Speaker 2: It is a rattle.
Speaker 5: Thank you, rob death rattle.
Speaker 2: A death rattle is what it actually is.
Speaker 5: That's an actual sound the body makes.
Speaker 4: I know the phrase, but like the gargle is just it's just what came out.
Speaker 2: It's so brilliant. See, sometimes my dyslexi is cute. I'm like, what's the word? Close enough?
Speaker 5: I agree though, because to me, it's like I hopefully in the other three hundred and sixty four days I do a good job of letting you know how I feel about it. Yeah, and all of that, and so if I suddenly need one day to then like do what I've already been told it, it's just yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's immediate. It's like somebody telling you to sit down when you were about to sit down anyway. You're like, oh, I'm not doing this for you.
Speaker 2: You know what I like, here's my Valentine's highlight. It's actually Chuck's storyline. I mean the sadness of you know, his mother dealing with addiction. Aside, I think Valentine's Day the way I like to do it, and I agree with you, Rob. Maybe it's like when you actually are happy or settled or whatever word you want to use, you're not in the weird courting phase. You're not trying to keep up with anything like Valentine's Day. For me, I want a handmade card, like I just want a letter. Yeah, that's how I want to acknowledge the day, is to acknowledge something real and like sweet and special. You know, I think Valentine's Day is so cute for kids, How sweet to get Valentine's from you know, your little nuggets, help them make cards and whatever. But it's like, yeah, the the big show out there. I bugs me too, man, We're all okay, we're all Clay.
Speaker 5: This is one I think Clay got very.
Speaker 2: Right, except that Clay covers trick. Yes, apparently a full event might be exploded Trickso.
Speaker 5: That time cut is the amount of work that Chase and Chuck apparently did in like ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: Yes, by the way, two days we shot all those Brook and Julian scenes on stage. Set deck was dressing trick the two days, the full two full days of loading, and supposedly next minutes, we just decorated a school a venue for a school dance, an eighth grade school dance.
Speaker 4: And it required sheets of you know tinsel that like hangs with all the ribbony strips and uh, you know, other random sort of little decorations. But that stuff takes a really long time to hang and we had a whole like a whole team of moms.
Speaker 2: You know, Listen does not just get put up by Chuck and Chase. Chase and an eight year old did that in ninety minutes flat. Absolutely not. No.
Speaker 5: Also, it's so funny that you you managed to get your person's favorite band to do a private show and then you go, but you know what, it's not quite enough. What if I got four hundred dollars of decorations from my goals and hung it up everywhere?
Speaker 2: Yep, that'll do it. Yeah, yeah, not just the candelabras, but make sure you have this spinning multi cutout hearts hanging from the ceiling like.
Speaker 5: The shot on that.
Speaker 2: I was like, why do we need this? He's up there singing, it's so beautiful. Leave it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just missing one thing. Oh you know what? Yeah, a creepy nine year old waiter. Yeah, that's really going to hammer him.
Speaker 2: But she doesn't know. Has she ever met Chuck?
Speaker 5: No, she doesn't meet Chuck. I don't think I know Chuck.
Speaker 2: Or here's my question, what is the what's the Scrooge character for Valentine's Day? Is there one? It's us? What's it called like scrooge. Hat's Christmas? Bahambug? What's the what's the scrooge of I see through you Valentine's Day?
Speaker 5: I don't know, but that's a great idea for him.
Speaker 2: We got to come up with actually.
Speaker 5: Add this to our listen to writing it down projects.
Speaker 2: She's literally writing it down. I'm typing it.
Speaker 5: I remember City and Color performing for us, and that was special. That was one of those memories that I just and I didn't know who they were or who he was prior, and Chantelle did, and I remember her saying like, dude, this is a big deal, and he's so he's so yeah, and then sitting there and being like this is It's really made sure.
Speaker 4: Our show did that so well, Like we would have these moments where you could just tell, I mean, they set it up so well with the cameras in the stages and you could just tell somebody is such a star. They just step up there with their instrument and start singing, and everything else falls away. All the ridiculousness, all the other things that we joke about and you know, make fun of lovingly about our show falls away, and you're watching a very real talent do what they do it's wonderful, and even.
Speaker 5: Though he had no lines, there was a wonderful moment that grounded the whole thing, where in between songs, I think there's a moment of Clay and Quinn kissing and the camera kind of pans up and you see him just standing there. Because the truth is, that would be so awkward performing for two people, and I'm so glad that we took a moment to acknowledge, Yeah, that is a very weird dynamic, and he kind of gives that look like I guess I'll keep It was.
Speaker 2: Very funny, especially because he has no band. You know, it's an acoustic performance, so it's like he doesn't have anyone he can look at while you two are making out to have He's just kind of like, so do I go or more of this? I love them?
Speaker 4: Paul noticed and put that in because it easily could have just been skipped over, but he was like, no, you're in the scene. What would you how would you be reacting exactly? Thank you for being an actor and knowing what's going on in the scene.
Speaker 5: I will say I loved I agree with you. So the heart of this episode was Chuck and Chase. Yes, their stuff was great, and Mouth.
Speaker 2: And Millie both both those storylines were like real highlights for me. They were so fun to watch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, give me all the Lisa go. She's just so lovable and likable and fun to watch, and her and Lee are so great together. But the Chuck and Chase of it I really liked because I thought Michael did such a wonderful job with how he played the disappointment about his dad. Yeah, Like when he has that line when I think Chase says like, when was the last time you saw your dad? And he says he kind of throws it away like two years not that long. I was like, oh, he didn't lean into it, you know. And then the fact that he circles back at the very end of the day in Chase's car and goes, two years is a long time. Huh. It's like he knows. He's just trying to tell himself a different story about it, you know. But their whole dynamic was was so great. And then the reveal of I mean behind the scenes Michael made does love show too, Yeah, and he does music.
Speaker 4: And she writes songs. I mean that that song was a song that he was singing and showing like not showing off, but like he was always wandering around singing, and our creator and other writers on the show noticed and he was like, oh, yeah, I got a new song. And he started singing that one and was working on it, and they were.
Speaker 2: Like, let's put it in the show.
Speaker 5: Wait, that's an original.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, he wrote that.
Speaker 5: Oh, I already had my notes. I love that Michael is part of the music of One Tree Hill, but now knowing I assumed it was from a play of some sort. Now, so knowing that it's his, though, makes it so much better. I will say it did make I had one strong feeling, which is, I this is a personal bugaboo of mine. I can't stand being sung too, like when someone sings and makes eye contact with me. I think it's because I think it's because like in dating when I was younger, like a lot the girls would like try to like sing, and I just hated the position it put me in, Like I felt like I was a prisoner. Because now I have to be like, oh yeah, wow, so good that I just came to resent it. So watching Chase sit there and not know how to react and respond was so funny and also so triggering for me because I'm like that that is my nightmare. Oh just someone looking at me.
Speaker 4: His face was so brilliant. So sincere, I'm so glad they didn't do this this Chase Chuck as a one off. You know that they really kept this mentorship love story. I'm just I'm so here for it. I love their dynamic. But yes, Chuck on stage jumping around and what.
Speaker 2: Is he Oh that's what he says.
Speaker 4: Chase goes, you know that punch in the stomach thing actually is kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Chuck's like he like show tunes. Actually, that punch of the stummy thing is kind of cool. Will you make that your thing? Yeah? I just want to protect your kid.
Speaker 5: One thing I was confused about, though, is that two episodes ago, Chasing Mia had sex in the wedding limo. One episode ago, Mia comes to the bar and like, hey, you see him off. Are we good? And he's like, yeah, we're good. I just have some stuff going on. Then this episode is Valentine's Day and there's not a mention.
Speaker 2: Well, but he says to her, which I and it bumped for me too. When she says are we good? He said, yeah, you said the slutty wedding sex didn't mean anything, and I was like, oh.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no. He said to her, uh no, we said that we sex didn't mean anything, and then she goes, no, you said that, and I just went with it.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I didn't take detailed enough notes. Yeah, it's funny because I scrolled down on Today's and I'm like, no, I see it, and I'm like, oh, you actually, you're very right. I yeah, I wonder what that what that is because we're not getting any explanation, like it could have been one line if Chuck just asked him.
Speaker 5: That's exactly it. Yeah, I'm I'm okay that all we saw was Chase and Chuck because it's an awesome storyline for both of these guys, and it's so cool to see them do different things than they usually do. It was just odd that, like you said, Joy, it's one line, yeah, and you can address it and move on. So I thought that, Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Is really weird, especially if Chase is circling back to the sort of headspace he was in when Julian shows the girls the video at Thanksgiving and he's like, I'm just going to focus on me, you know, I need to figure out my own life whatever. Why not talk about it? Why not actually show the audience that that is continuing to run for him? It's weird. It feels like a ball drop.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and if we're trying to make him likeaboy, you know, it's just like that's not a cool thing to do. Then you know, to be like, I don't want it. Let's have sex. I don't want it. Yeah, there was one more thing I wanted to do address about the reveal of the whole surprise. Clay set up right so he somehow gets her favorite band, It gets trick all to himself. He has Michael's explode all over them. Obviously a lot of time and work went into this. They walk up to the table and he doesn't pull out Quinn's why didn't you do that? Buddy? I don't know, like as as as the as me who like I'm big on chivalry and me he was like, I don't. And then also, just if you're going to track what the characters doing what, I don't know how both me and Clay drop the ball so hard, but I was shocked. Now we walk up to the table, I don't even make an effort. I immediately go for mine, and nine year old waiter Michael May pulls out Quinn's chair.
Speaker 4: Oh that's why, because because they had set you guys had set it up that Michael was going to pull out the chair. That as like an intro that has to be it.
Speaker 5: But I don't. I don't even do the empty gesture. It's just it, really all.
Speaker 4: You were spaced out for a minute when you guys were walking up, you know, like you know how it goes. You're chatting about something right before they say action, and then you just walk into it and kind of I mean, I think that happens to all of us.
Speaker 2: I also wonder if as a director, I would imagine Paul said, I want Michael May to pull the chair out for Chantelle. So I wonder if by the third time you did it, and that was actually the best tracking shot to get you guys to the table, you weren't even gesturing for it anymore.
Speaker 5: Also to Joy's point, I do have a very specific memory of trying my hardest to distract and break Steven while he was talking to the two of us. So you were right. I was probably focusing all of my energy on how I could make Steven laugh and distract him or make Shantelle laugh. Then I was actually which is on brand?
Speaker 2: Yeah sounds about right, so feels right. I love it. You know what I thought was very sweet too in their storyline, and you brought up part of it, the conversation they have in the car. You know, when when Chase drives Chuck home and they have that beat and he acknowledges that two years is a long time, you start to kind of see underneath. I like that when he starts to, you know, be kind of a little shit again. There's just a pause and then he's self correct and says, thank you so great, and you're already starting to see just a little bit of a positive presence have an influence on a kid. I thought it was such a nice reminder and it was nice to have that acknowledgment, even though it was wordless between Chuck's mom and Chase, because it's a pretty big reveal, right, you know, you assume he's been working all day, and then you realize he's been checking on Chuck's mom. Yeah, you know, it's a big woe for the audience and to sort of see how that registered for her.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a I thought the whole the whole bit of it, despite it not actually being in terms of the verbiage, you know, really long or really wordy scenes, I thought the impact was really excellently driven home.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it was a great way of getting a new insight into Chase's character. Yes, because the amount of class and grace that he had for her. Yeah, Like when she even tried to blame it on him and she was like, I think you're better than me, I was like, there's a version of which he says, yeah, this version of you way better. But he never once shamed her. The look he gave her at the end wasn't like hmmm, yeah, you know he was. He was sweet about the whole thing. The one one thing I kind of bumped on though, is that when Chuck says two years is a long time, I wanted Chase to say yes. I wanted Chase to kind of validate as opposed I see what he's doing. He's trying to be like, nah, buddy, it's not that bad like he's But I also wanted him to go, yeah, you're right, because what did he say he is saying in that moment?
Speaker 2: Did he say anything he said no, oh really, he.
Speaker 5: Goes, Oh yeah, no, he goes. She says, two years is a long time, huh, And Chase says it's not that long. And I wish Chase had said yeah, because Chuck knows in his heart it's a long time. So it's like, yeah, this is your chance to like establish that with the kid, validate what he's saying. Yeah, man, it's a super long time. Yeah, that's wild. Whatever you're feeling is right.
Speaker 2: He didn't.
Speaker 4: He just doesn't have the maturity and experience to know how to handle that. Like that's kind of what we do often in life. And somebody's struggling, you just want to make him feel better, you know. Yeah, it's like, oh no, it's okay, it's okay. It takes I think it takes a wild life experience to learn that that's actually not comforting. It's actually better to just acknowledge the hard thing.
Speaker 2: Well, and by the way, we're worry able to see that now. But when you were saying that, Joy, I was like, oh my god, I always forget that. At this point in the show, our characters are like twenty five.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, when you think about that, Chase is actually doing an extraordinarily good job. Totally. Yeah, it's not fair for like forty three year old parent me to be like, there was a better day. Yeah, I wouldn't have known better. Yeah. So no, he did a fantastic job.
Speaker 4: This.
Speaker 5: What's so great about not remembering what happens in the show is that I was genuinely caught off guard with the station calling mouth at the end of the episode it's for Millie, and I was like, wait, a second, does she does she becomes some news person?
Speaker 2: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 5: Oh my god?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: It's such a nice cliffhanger too, because their whole storyline in the episode is so sweet and so thoughtful, even the detail that when he gives her the gift, he says, well, I talked to Brooke and she says, you like this. You know that that mouth went to figure out what she'd really want instead of you know, giving her some random something because it's Valentine's Day. I just think their relationship is so sweet, you know, him giving us a little peak behind the curtain about how they used to eat Chinese food together in New York and you know, now they're eating that meal by candlelight and talking about how far they've come, and she says, it's nice to be here, and she means, you know, so much more than just in Tree Hill. It's like in this place and time with him, and the whole build up is just so sweet to have.
Speaker 4: Been through so much in their relationship and she's through so much in her personal life and growth.
Speaker 2: And then and then that moment at the end. It's such a good cliffhanger because you go, h oh, like are they still going to like to be here? Or is this going to cause a problem?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you know Mouf, he's so supportive and kind and generous, and you know he's what else is he going to do but say that's great, congratulations, But you know that's going to kill him inside.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe his dramatic weight gain that is coming up is from all the humble pie. He's being forced because this guy has taken one hit out, Like.
Speaker 2: When does mouth get to win? Dang it, it's a lot.
Speaker 5: He deserves a w poor guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's not coming soon. Oh boy, I just looked up. I have to tell you guys what I wrote down. When you and UH and James are going you know, playing Nathan are scouting Kellerman's kid.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, oh yeah, that's so good.
Speaker 2: And he walks off the field saying, my dad's a douche. I wrote down because when you guys get to the dugout and he's drinking beer, he goes, are you going to sign me or lecture me? And you say, depends on what you're looking for in an agent, And I go, he called his dad a douche. He's a douche. It's like literally the notes I wrote down, like like I'm the eight year old being like this guy, Yeah, rude, who do you think you are? It's a good little twist. Was that a real athlete that guy? Or is he an actor?
Speaker 5: No? So that is Eric McIntyre and he is not a real baseball player. He had to learn kind of the mechanics.
Speaker 2: Of throwing for really, So he's an actor.
Speaker 5: He's an actor. Yeah, no, yeah, he's much more of a D and D guy than he is. How fun's that's that's kind of how I knew know of him afterwards since then he's a big, big into the D and D scenes. So, yeah, baseball, note his strike zone, but he played it well and listened to play. He played the hell out of that douchebag. I mean, because he was instantly punchable completely there. His walk even I don't know if his walk was a choice, but he didn't even open his mouth that walk alone. Yeah, that guy needs to get punched.
Speaker 2: Yeah he really he had. He had such an air of ego, like the way he moved his shoulders, everything, he really physicalized that. Well, yes, it's kind of cool to know that he's not actually that type of athlete at all.
Speaker 5: No, those were just good choices and it was also such a heightened version of that type of person in fact he has, like because I love thinking about like how did how did he get there? So like he went and he got like a little igloo container he filled it full of ice, and some beers like him walking to Its just it was so funny, man. But I love that at the end of it, Clay is just like he called us all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's the fun part of it. I think it's a good twist that it's Kellerman's kid. And also it's fun to have him essentially be a foil to you and Nathan as buddy cops. It's fun to see you two in that role, the you know, moving around together and figuring it out. And yes, we get a little bit of perspective from this younger kid and you guys sitting having a conversation and him having to essentially be like I used to be that guy. It's it's cool, you know. The the passage of time that it shows is a really interesting device.
Speaker 5: Yes, and it was a clever way to show Nathan's value, his value added as an agent, that he was able to go. Yeah. I was like this, and you know, like it was great because as a viewer, I was like, this kid, he's a toll, Like no way. And then it was and that was sort of where Clay was leaning. And I liked that it was Nathan the counter bounce to go I don't know, Bud.
Speaker 2: I was like that had to break it to ye, he might be the next me. Yeah, room to grow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 5: Honorable mentions.
Speaker 4: Oh, by the way, the pizza box fight between Austin and the pizza guy at the door, it was so good.
Speaker 2: And and and when Austin goes to the door, the guy's like, I don't mind, great, love that so great. Honestly, he was a scene stealer. I'm gonna I'm gonna give him my honorable mention pizza man. Yeah, it's so good. Killed it Michael Mays for me.
Speaker 5: M yeah, I'm going to give mine to uh to Michael May. Yeah he did great. That whole storyline was so fun to watch, and I love what it's setting up. I do remember a bit of where this one goes. Yeah, it goes there.
Speaker 4: So Bean Jeans is asking us, with so many of the characters not having siblings on the show, who do you wish had a sibling and got to be a part of the show. And would that sibling have a love interest in a friend group?
Speaker 2: WHOA.
Speaker 5: I really wish Dan had had a sibling. I think that would have been good for well he did, he did.
Speaker 2: I was like, you got oh boy, guys, listen, I know there's a lot that's true. Well, it's interesting because Dan had a sibling. Obviously, you've got Nathan and Lucas. Haley's one of a bunch. I don't think Brooke or Peyton could have had siblings because they became each other's siblings because they were lonely only.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but maybe if Haley had a brother, that would have been nice because we only ever saw sisters.
Speaker 2: I mean who else could.
Speaker 5: Have I would have liked to see Clay have a sibling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that would have been fun.
Speaker 5: Because it would have been nice to see a baseline, because Clay has endured like immense trauma though especially we're going to find out how deep it goes, so it would have been interesting to see what that gene pool looks like without like what that what that person looks like without going through Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's always unsettling when you meet a character and then you never when you watch a show for this long and you never meet their parents, you never know anything about the life before. It just it makes it harder for you to see them as a fully realized person like you do so much to embody Clay, and then there's still all this empty backstory that we don't know other than what you tell us. I actually agree with you. I really would have loved to see a parent, or a sibling or just some one to give us a little more context.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think especially knowing where things go with you and how extreme that storyline yeah felt, and what you had to commit to, I think it would have probably been really special and grounding if we'd gotten to see that, Like I would have actually loved it.
Speaker 4: If Clay had a sister, Yeah, who could have said, you know, who was like taking care of the kid?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also who could have been like a great friend to Quinn's character to be like, listen, I know it feels crazy. This is my experience, this is you know. Yeah, I think I think you could have That would have been nice for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah. There would have been room for like a like a cool sist, just like kind of stage bouncing around, getting to know anybody, just being like, hey, you're acting. You're acting a fool, and hey, like stop dating two girls at the same time, dude, and hey like, don't worry about your girlfriend getting this job. You're something great's coming your way, and you know, like bouncing around.
Speaker 5: It wouldn't have been a wild if Clay had a sister. And then you realize this season in she was a ghost too because she had Oh my.
Speaker 4: God, the whole it's the line of the witch in the Wardrobe. The whole town is actually just dead and we're all.
Speaker 5: Here's my question.
Speaker 2: Incredible.
Speaker 5: I think so Bean Jeans, I think I'm correctly assuming is a nickname. What what does it come from? What is this listener's real name.
Speaker 4: Yeah, bean jeans, Oh genes Okay, it's g E n E s not jeans like blue jeans, because bean blue jeans actually sounds like really terrible, like you just had a gene ate a really bad Bullivan Dan and it did not turn out.
Speaker 2: Well for you. Oh God.
Speaker 4: But being jeans but with the ge Oh so, maybe it's maybe it's like a Boston thing. Maybe this person is, you know, genetics, their families from Boston, like Boston baked beans.
Speaker 5: Is that why?
Speaker 2: No bean town? Okay, could be I don't know, would be petite, could be a oh yeah, little person.
Speaker 5: Or it's just some type of legume that has become sentient and figured out how to use a computer.
Speaker 4: Perhaps we like your commitment, We like your commitment to the bit.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Indeed, should we spend a wheel, let's do it?
Speaker 6: Oh boy?
Speaker 2: Who is most likely to accidentally go viral for something embarrassing? Shan tell.
Speaker 5: She's a strong candidate.
Speaker 2: Not no, think she's so regal. She is. She's also clumsy and good. I just could totally see. I could totally see that. Amazing, amazing.
Speaker 5: I think I'm a strong front runner for that as well.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say you Rob, and I mean that as a compliment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well listen, it's.
Speaker 2: Because you commit to the bed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a there's a I don't know why. There's a video of all of us. We're at some event. I don't think it's not a con, but we're like all there is a cast. It was that thing where they had uh Jackson. He came out in his green man suit and danced on stage for like four minutes straight, and then like we all came out and we sat on two couches and then for some reason, we're talking to an audience, like in an auditorium or something. For some reason.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it was sashed me.
Speaker 5: To like, let's be honest. You probably just mentioned dancing, and we're like Rob does stupid dancing and I stand up and I like I danced and like I drop it like it's hot. And I don't know why, but that video still lives to this day. So, oh my god.
Speaker 2: It was at a theater in Wilmington.
Speaker 4: It was some kind of panel about this wasn't one hundredth episode maybe hundred.
Speaker 5: I wasn't there for.
Speaker 2: Oh fine, would have been the finale? I guess I think it must have been the finale.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some kind of panel. I do remember that though. That's funny. That video is still alive.
Speaker 5: Thanks Internet.
Speaker 2: Oh every poor fashion choice and silly little thing we've ever done immortalized.
Speaker 6: It's so sad.
Speaker 4: Well next episode, Season eight, episode sixteen.
Speaker 2: I think I'm gone. I like it here.
Speaker 4: That's from Annie and also the name of our next episode. Stay tuned, folks. Bye, Hey, thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to leave us a review. You can also follow us on Instagram at Drama Queen's Ota.
Speaker 4: Or email us at Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: See you next time.
Speaker 3: We all about that high school drama Girl Drama Girl, all about them high school queens. We'll take you for a ride, and our comic girl cheering for the right teams. Drama Queenslease my girl, rough girl fashion, but your tough girl.
Speaker 2: You could sit with us.
Speaker 1: Girl Drama Queens, Drama Queise Drama Queens, Drama Drama Queens, Drama Queens