Speaker 1: Pushkin. DJ Dramas one of the most iconic mixtape DJs of all time. His legendary gangster grills tapes helped propel artists like Ti and Young Jez to stardom. His classic Dedication series reinvigorated Lil Wayne's career in the early and mid two thousands. At their height, mixtapes like DJ Dramas allowed artists the freedom to wrap over other people's beats and release new music to fans in between their major label projects. By two thousand and seven, the underground mixtape market was booming, but in January of that year, DJ Drama and his longtime business partner Don Cannon were arrested by federal agents and charged under Rico laws for bootlegging and racketeering. Their arrest resulted in the federal government confiscating hundreds of thousands of dollars from their business accounts, but the much publicized raid only boosted DJ Drama's profile. In the years since, Drama's built a successful record label, and it's continued to make mixtapes. Tyler the Creator even crafted his latest album, Call Me If You Get Lost with DJ Drama's classic ad libs all over it and won the Grammy for Best Rap Album in twenty twenty two. But at that same time, while DJ Drama was at the height of his professional success, personally, he was battling an addiction to opioids, an ongoing struggle he's only recently started to talk about publicly. On today's episode, Lea Rose, who some of you may know as the former music editor of Double XL magazine, talks to Drama about how he got sober after being what he calls a functioning junkie who spent six figures a year on opioids. He also tells the story of how Lil John recorded his iconic gangster Grills drops in Drama's laundry room, and explains why he decided to sign low Uzi Vert and Jack Harlow to his Atlantic Records imprint Generation. Now this is broken record, Alana notes, for the digital age, I'm justin Mitchman. Here's Lea Rose with the Ta Trauma.
Speaker 2: So back when I was at Double XCEL, I used to edit a section of the magazine called Show and Prove, where every month I would have to find five new artists from like all over the country. And I figured out that if I talked to mixtape DJs, they could kind of like plug me in with who was who and who was doing what where, and you are my guy in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: I remember I's frequently talking exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been about twenty years and your career has grown in so many different incredible ways. So for people listening who might not be familiar with the function of a mixtape in hip hop, can you describe what the purpose is just at like the base level, Like what is the purpose of a mixtape?
Speaker 4: So a mixtape, obviously, through the years has taken on various purposes and different meanings. Me specifically or my brand of gangster girls. Mixtapes came at a time mixtapes had become almost like street albums in a sense where they were based around, you know, one particular artist or one particular crew of artists, or a label of some sorts, and it enabled that artist to kind of do things that they may not have been able to do on their major label album in a sense where they could kind of have a free for all or you know, wrap on someone else's beat, you know, just kind of experiment and not worry about, you know, some of the caution tape that comes with putting out an actual album, so a mixtape and a lot of times and don't in the early years would almost be kind of like lead lead ups to someone's album, or it would be a project that would come in between albums, you know, to keep the anticipation high, and you know, then then there would be what my my participation in it as the DJ is kind of like properly putting the mixtape together, sequencing it, you know, adding bells and whistles, sound effects, you know, giving what are known as either sermons or rants, depending on who you ask, and like you know, bringing back records just to kind of like create these moments and this excitement of almost like almost like being like a coach or the you know, the guy in the box of corner who's hyping up the artists in a sense, and you know, hyping up the audience as well, and just like you know, add my two cents to the records.
Speaker 2: And so when it came to you adding your ad libs and your drops and everything, it really seems like it's such an art and it's very intentional. First of all, how did you develop your style? I was listening to old tapes you're screaming it's like hoarse voice. There's a little like you know echo effect. How did you develop your own individual style?
Speaker 4: Well, it kind of changed over the years, interestingly, and so you know in the earlier years obviously when you go listen, like I'm definitely more boisterous and louder than I may be in today's time. But the style came in like that's what mixtape DJs would do. And in my era, like you know, I came up listening to people like Clue or SNS or or who kid who you know, they're all DJs would pretty much say their names and like you know, have an echo of fact, but they also like it was in a time where mixtape DJs were doing more of like shout outs and maybe like promoting the stores where their tapes were sold, or you know, shouting out the a and rs that were getting them records and things like that, and I kind of I kind of came up with a style where for me, it was almost like adding personality to the records. I wanted to be more than just kind of like to stay in my name where you know, I was kind of like talking shit and you know, in a sense like adding my two sense almost in a way of like, you know, I don't rhyme.
Speaker 3: You know, my statements don't rhyme.
Speaker 4: But I try to be creative as possible with what I say and add to the record as much as much as I can. And you know, yeah, in the early years, it was like, you know, the type of music that I was lending my voice to was was very like command and you know, it was intense. And then over the years I started to you know, do work on various projects. You know, then I started to even play around with my tone in my in my pitch and like I would do it. I taped like Verdi terrororsts with currency where it was like, you know, it was it's smoker music.
Speaker 2: So you know, I would you can't come off like screaming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would have to kind of like come back in a mellow tone or or I would start to do like R and B mixtapes with people like Chris Brown or or Jeremiah, and then it was like again, I couldn't come on there yelling and screaming, so I would. I would then, you know, find a different tone and play around with it, and in the sense of it was it's art to me, like you know, it was like knowing where to come and what to say and how to lend myself to the records, so it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't yeah and when to pull back exactly when to talk. And it's really like you're punctuating things that people say in a way that sometimes it's subconscious. As a listener, you're listening and then you might be like, oh, and then that line will sync in and then you start to say that as like you start to know that as part of the song.
Speaker 4: Nah, and I love that, yeah exactly, so you know, and then one of the biggest compliments to me at times is when you know, their big versions of Project said didn't have me on there, and people be like, yeah, it just doesn't hit the same without drama on the air.
Speaker 2: It's really not as good. It's really really not. So it's so exciting your drops are so it's just so well done. And I just want to play you this. I don't know, let's see if you can hear this.
Speaker 1: Twin set up.
Speaker 3: Set up Wow. Yeah classic.
Speaker 2: So that's from Dedication to which now is just like widely regarded as the best mixtape of all time. Yeah, which is crazy.
Speaker 3: You got your shout out on that that's fire.
Speaker 4: But you know, you guys, you know, you and Double XL were very important and influential to like mixtapes and mixtape culture at that time. And like and I remember like the feeling of, you know, opening up a double expel and seeing one of my tapes in there, or being reviewed or you know what I'm saying, Like that was like the holy grail.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: That was you know, you guys want one of the few outlets where you know, we were getting our praise or you know, outside of the listener or the person who was familiar with the mixtape circuit or what we were doing, where a consumer who might not have been familiar could find out about you know, what I was doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you were absolutely keeping the music exciting, you were keeping it going.
Speaker 3: Appreciate that.
Speaker 2: So when it came to making dedication to I heard you talk about how you would sometimes script out things for the artists to say, and in Wayne's case with that tape, you sort of like set it up like an interview.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so in those days when I was doing tape, you know, I would yeah, make a script like you know, outside of the music, you know, some of the things that were important to those tapes were somewhat of the interludes or you know, it was almost like behind the scenes of some of the things that you know, you wouldn't get from the artists on a project. So I when I was when I would do dedications, you know, I would almost like write a script out for Wayne to record some things outside of the music.
Speaker 3: I would literally like almost like ask him questions.
Speaker 4: So you know, around those times, there were there were things about him retiring or him signing to jay Z or like, you know, I remember asking him like, you know, what, what do you like to watch on television? And that was when he was like all I watched the sports, sports, sports, you know, and he had actually freestyled over this green lantern beat that had been used that was like became sports center, you know, where it was like the sound of basketball or a tennis ball or what have you, and I called it sports Center. And that kind of came from my interviewing background, I guess, an the sense of like when I would get my drops from the artists, I would I would set it up where I would, you know, engage him and this is what the fans want to know. So there would be kind of questions he would answer, and those those who would turn into the interludes or you know, the way I would go from transition from song to song.
Speaker 2: It's such a good idea because an artist, especially Wayne, he doesn't really do interviews right.
Speaker 4: And you know, like those tapes like Dedication one and Dedication to, like the interludes if him talking are like so key or so memorable. You know, there were just things on there that like came out of me writing these scripts and him responding to it.
Speaker 2: I have to ask you about Dedication seven. Is it coming out? It's been getting teased since I think twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: A good question, I hope.
Speaker 2: So are you waiting to hear too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear, but I'm sure he'll start getting the itch. He always starts getting the itch, and then you know, I'll get a phone call and it'll be time to go.
Speaker 2: How did the original session where you recorded the drops with Little John? What do you remember about that session? And just talk a little bit about what Little John is likes. I think a lot of people sort of think of him as maybe a caricature because of the you know, because of the Chappelle skit and the what I mean talk about what little John is actually like in real life?
Speaker 4: All right, Well, first of all, the fact that you called the session is the most hilarious thing ever because it took place in my duplex in the fourth ward, where I where most people would keep their watcher and dryer, is where I kept my equipment. So it was the fact that it's called a session, like it was not in some fancy studio with some big ass mixing board, like there was two turntables and a four track in there. But you know, John has always been one of the most down to earth, humble, laid back and giving people that I've met within the music business. You know, I got to beat him at an early age for me, and I was kind of just transitioning from being a college DJ to really just getting into the business, and he was the king of krunk. It was a time before you know, the explosion of the Chappelle Show. But you know, John was definitely a very key figure within the Atlanta hip hop scene as well as you know, being becoming a national an international star. And this was at a time when when gangster grills, like as a mixtape was just becoming a series, and you know, having a host of your mixtape was a very important thing, at least from an up North perspective, like you know, and I was following a lot of the up Northeast coast trends of mixtapes, and you know, people were having people like Puffy and Nas and you know, just all these you know, huge artists hosting their mixtapes. And I was like, yeah, I need to I need to find a host for you know, against the girls, to make it seem like it was something.
Speaker 3: You know and legit. Yeah, like it make it seem legit.
Speaker 2: It's like a sign to science.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, signs are important.
Speaker 4: So I remember asking like three people around that time, and two of them pretty much told me no. And John was the one that told me yes, he would host the tape for me. And he came to my crib again like this raggedy ass duplex I had Fourth Ward of Atlanta, and he did the drops for me. I think I either wrote out a script or I would just tell him, yeah, can you say this?
Speaker 3: Can you say that?
Speaker 4: And in him doing those drops the way he said gangs, the Grizzils, Yiks, the Yiksanks, the Grazil you know, he did that on his own and he hosted.
Speaker 3: It was the third Gangst Girls I did.
Speaker 4: I had did two before, and at the time they were just they were still just like compilations, you know, they were just like the best the hottest songs in the South that I.
Speaker 3: Was putting together.
Speaker 4: And he was the first host of Gangster Girls, which turned out to be Gangst the Girl's four, So you know, that tape has him all over it. And then the next tape that I did, and I think Gangst the Girls five. It was time to put a tape out, but I couldn't find anyone the host in time. So instead of you know, having a host, I just used the little John's voice thing thanks to Grizils and ran it back abundance of times all over the music kind of like to brand it in a sense, and you know, the drop went on to be quite legendary. But yeah, John is you know for those who see him as a character, like you know, he knows when to turn it on and you know, somewhat similar to me.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't go around screaming all day every day.
Speaker 4: I could do on a mixtape, but like, you know, he's he's one of the most creative, hardworking, you know guys in the business. You know that really you know, has guided himself doing an incredible care you know, from production to you know, artists to DJ to you know, just rockstar in a sense.
Speaker 2: Did you coach him to say it a certain way?
Speaker 3: No, he did that on his own.
Speaker 2: And when you heard that, like, did you know where You're like, ooh, that's good.
Speaker 4: I didn't know. He just said it. He said it like that Gangst the Grizzilds, you know, and it was crazy. Is that I never realized now looking back on it, there was a Hot Boy song prior to Gangst the Grills where Manny Fresh actually says Gangst the Grizzils. Really yeah, So I'm curious if that's where John got it from. I never knew, I really, I've recently just heard it, like in the last like two three months where many Fresh says Gangster Grizzils. This was a record from like ninety eight ninety nine, so it came before a Gangst the Grills, and you know, but even at that time, that's not even where I got the name for the tape. Like I just kind of came up with Gangst the girls in itself. So you know, great minds think alike. But I didn't know that him saying that would turn out to be so iconic or you know, turn into like what it is today. But I was always very keen on branding early on.
Speaker 2: How did you learn about branding because you're obviously so good at it, Where does that instinct come from?
Speaker 4: Well, I remember taking a marketing class in college. And you know, I was a radio TV Film major, but as a mass communications major, we had to take some business classes.
Speaker 3: It was mandatory, and marketing was one of them.
Speaker 4: And I remember just it was during the time when I was in college and I was very earnest on my mixtape hustle, and my marketing class just like every part of the fascinated me into what I was doing with my business or my mixtapes, and like I was applying everything that I was learning.
Speaker 3: To my craft.
Speaker 4: And you know, I just remember again just like just even early on, just studying DJs like Flats and Capri and Bizmarcky Rest in Peace, like you know, just just how how big of a brand funk Master Flex was and you know, watching him and even Clu as well, like you know, just just watching like you know, them beyond the mixtape, like you know, get endorsements and become figures on television and things like that. So, you know, one, becoming a mixtape DJ for me was was key because the mixtape DJ in hip hop for me was the largest life DJ.
Speaker 3: You know. Those were the DJs that were treated like artists. You know, those were the DJs that were the.
Speaker 4: One is that people knew outside of the city they were from, you know, And even when I was approaching Gangster Girls, for me, it was like my goal was to create a brand from the mixtape that people recognized even bigger than at.
Speaker 3: The time DJ Drama.
Speaker 4: You know, like most DJs at the time were trying to make a name for themselves or make sure their their name as a DJ was the most well known. And I approached it in a sense where I'm going to make this brand, this mixtape brand, Gangster the Grills the biggest brand where when people see it, they automatically want it, regardless of who's on it or you know what it is. If they see a new Gangster Grills that they're gonna copy it. And I was like, through that, then I can kind of double back and create the brand of DJ drama, you know, so in those days for me, Gangster Grills was a larger brand and DJ Drama, and then I started applying, Okay, now I'm gonna go and put my my face on on the Gangster Girls along with the artists and start, you know, branding myself and making myself known once Gangster Girls was already a known brand. Yeah, and then you know, just again like you know, branding through the years. I guess it's something that kind of has come somewhat natural.
Speaker 2: And its just like it must. It feels like an innate ability because you have you have a real solid instinct for it. You know, you've been able to maintain it for twenty years, twenty years in so many different areas. So yeah, it definitely feels like something that comes naturally to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you. You know that's key and hipop. I mean when you think about it, I mean from from DJ Drama to Gangster Girls to Generation Now to Dedications. You know, there's just so many things that that I'm attached to that are you know, known within the culture.
Speaker 2: At the height of Gangster Grills, like would you say the height was like oh five o six ish.
Speaker 3: I think it's had different different heights. I think oh, FABO six.
Speaker 2: Was like the first peak.
Speaker 3: That was the first peak. Definitely.
Speaker 2: Do you have an idea roughly of how many copies you were selling per month and how much how much you were making per month on.
Speaker 4: The tapes I was probably selling, like you know, between each tape it was you know, just coming from my backyard, probably like maybe twenty thirty five thousand tapes you know, just from me. But then again, like that's not including the bootleggers, and yeah, it was bootleg people that were taking that were taking masters, so you know, there were there were hundreds of thousands of copies, like I'm sure in that time there were you know a millionion physical gangster girls if we're including the Jezy tapes and the Wayne tapes and you know, all the various tapes. And then like monetarily wise, I was, you know, bringing in fifty sixty seventy eighty thousand dollars a month, like you know, money that I had never seen or been familiar with.
Speaker 3: So it was it was all of the time.
Speaker 2: And then all that changed on the morning of January sixteenth, two thousand and seven. Can you just tell us quickly. What happened that morning? What you remember from that day, I got raided.
Speaker 4: I came to the studio that day and I had gotten tipped off that they were coming to the studio, but I thought it was a mix up and a mistake, and I went outside to go move my car. I let my employees know, like I just got a weird all that, you know, the cops for coming over here.
Speaker 3: And I went to go move my car.
Speaker 4: When I went outside, you know, they pulled up with you know, tahoes with the lights and helicopter was above my head and they jumped out with M sixteen's and you know, told me to get on the ground and told me, Tyree Simmons, you're being arrested for bootlegging and racketeering under the Rico law. And you know, they tore the studio apart, and you know, they were looking for guns and drugs, and you know, all they found was mixtapes. And I remember being taken down the right street and you know, sitting in the hold Excel and somebody tapping me like, look, you're on TV. And that was what they know is like the day to game change within the mixtape world, because like you know, I was like top of the food chain. I was one of the biggest mixtape DJs in the world at the time, and you know it was like, man, if DJ drama can get locked up, like nobody's safe.
Speaker 2: What happened when you were in jail? How long did you have to say?
Speaker 3: I was only there for like twenty four hours. We got a one hundred.
Speaker 4: Thousand dollars bond, and you know, I had a lot of hip hop conversations. Honestly, I was you know with you know, the guys that were locked up or the inmates, like we just had rap talk. But I remember getting out and you know, it literally like changed my life overnight. I became this I became the representation of like what was wrong within the music business, and you know, it definitely made me more famous than I was. And you know, my record label was pretty excited. They were like, oh, we can't pay for this type of publicity. At the time, I was signed to an Atlantic record as an artist to put out an.
Speaker 2: Album, Official Gangster Grills.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Official Gangster Grills album. So you know they were like, oh, how fast can we get the album done?
Speaker 2: Like, you know, there were negative effects, right it wasn't all positive when you came out.
Speaker 4: Well, they froze my bank account, so they kept my money, they kept like sick figures of an account that I had had. But beyond that, there weren't that many negative effects to it. I mean, it pretty much made me, like, you know, it made more people want to interview me, put me on more magazine covers than I was, like, made me more recognizable to people outside of you know, the mixtape world, and I became, you know, larger than I was, you know, And at the time, like for another person or another situation, that could have been the end of the end of the story, but like you know, for me, I was like, this is just one chapter of my story, Like this is not what this is not going to define my whole career. Like, you know, it'll definitely be a talked about moment, but I got, you know, so.
Speaker 3: Much to accomplish.
Speaker 4: And yeah, that was what I would I would say at the time, not knowing how much of a career I was sent out to have. But you know, I definitely knew that I wasn't going to like lay down and let this be the end, you know what I'm saying, especially because of how much I loved the mixtapes like, and I felt I felt some guilt. That was that was the other only other bad part was the guilt. I felt like I didn't want to see this culture that I loved so much die on my back.
Speaker 3: You know that I came up loving and wanting to be a part.
Speaker 2: Of because it was sort of a situation at that time where album sales were down across the music industry, mixtape sales were up, and mixtape DJs were making a bunch of money and record labels were losing money.
Speaker 5: It was like the Waid Wad West, Yeah, because I mean technically, mixtapes weren't even supposed to be taking money, Like it was always the quote unquote for promotional use, only stigma attached to it.
Speaker 4: And then, you know, outside of what myself for, you know, other well known mixtape DJs were doing, there were also just not even DJs, but mixtape guys that were stealing MP three's and hacking Gmail and getting records that weren't sanctioned by the artists or the label and they were.
Speaker 3: Putting them out.
Speaker 4: So you know, it was it was becoming like overly saturated, and you know, it was it was becoming a problem. And then on top of that, the music business was in a decline. Album sales were in a decline, so you know, it was kind of like some were looking at it like, oh, this is the this is the music business way of sending a message. The mixtape DJs like yo, y'all going to stop this ship here money.
Speaker 2: But meanwhile, you were promoting the artists like Wayne and Jeezy would tour off your mixtapes.
Speaker 4: Definitely, I mean the artists were you know, they were able to go on and you know, tour and make money off of the music that was coming off of their mixtapes as well as you know, those mixtapes were used as promotional tools to lead up to people's albums, you know, they were they were part of the marketing plan of the labels, like, yeah, before we do an album, we got to go against the girls to create some hype and anticipation.
Speaker 2: Right, And the labels would pay for them at times.
Speaker 4: They would. They definitely would. Yeah, I was definitely getting paid by labels to do tapes.
Speaker 2: Did it scare you after the raid? Did it stop you from doing tapes?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I didn't. It didn't scare or stop me.
Speaker 4: You know, I kind of stopped the regular number gangst the Girl series that I had been doing because I was more focused on individual artist tapes. But I went and did like Gangster Girls sixteen and seventeen after the raid, and I continued to do mixtapes as.
Speaker 3: Did other people.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, it was mixtapes are part of the culture, like they'll never go anywhere, even though through the years they've changed of how they may be presented or looked or.
Speaker 3: What have you. Like, I continued on after that. It didn't stop me.
Speaker 1: We're gonna pause for a quick break and then be back with more from DJ Drama and Lea Rose. We're back with more from DJ Drama and Lea Rose.
Speaker 2: Recently, you did a talk as part of a mental health awareness month with Shanty Dass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you.
Speaker 2: Opened up about your struggle with opioid addiction. Did you decide to come public with that.
Speaker 4: My opioid journey started somewhere around like twenty fifteen or something around there, or to be honest, like a lot of it started because of my issues with sleep, Like I was, I had really bad sleeping patterns and stuff, and I started drinking a lot of lean in the early two thousands, and you know, by kicking that habit, I then started to I think I went from mean to dank, then to percocets, and you know, I started to realize it was a problem around like maybe like twenty eighteen, because I had never I never really knew the effects of withdrawals, and I went through withdrawals from percocets and it was like a pain or a feeling I never felt ever before my life. I remember telling myself at the time, like I'll never go another day without a percoset. And that was really where my like my addiction or my habit like went into like a different space and it really became a serious issue and problem. And in twenty twenty, right when COVID hit, I went to rehab and that was my first That was my first time in rehab and in a facility trying to you know, deal with my opioid addiction. And I spent some time there during the beginning of COVID, and I came out and I stayed clean for some months, and then I relapsed probably around the end of twenty twenty. So I went through all of twenty twenty one back on Berks and then I was about to go on tour in twenty twenty two, and I just remember having this, you know. And and while I was in rehab the first time I met my therapist. I had tried therapy before, but I didn't really find a person that was very suitable for me. And when I went to rehab, I found a therapist that just was the perfect fit for me.
Speaker 2: In what way, like what did she provide for you?
Speaker 4: She provided when I told her when I sat down and I pretty much in our first session told her my life story or as much as I could in an instance. I just remember her responses to me or her assessment of me was so on point, off top, and it.
Speaker 3: Was just like, you know, it was almost mind boggling.
Speaker 4: The feeling that I got from the therapist prior to her was almost like a warm blanket, you know. And Amy, who was my current therapist who I met, was like, you know, she didn't take any she didn't take any shit, or she didn't let me get away with bullshit, or she helped me accountable.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It wasn't if I would tell her something that you know, I was doing or you know that was not good.
Speaker 3: She would be like that you're.
Speaker 4: Full of shit, or that's no, that's not good.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: So once I left rehab, it was it's a place called out sign on.
Speaker 3: Because of the law, I wasn't able to have her as my therapist for a certain amount of time.
Speaker 4: But after that time passed, I reached back out to her and was like, you know, you said, after the two months or three months whatever, you know, I could see if you were available, and she was like, yeah, we can so.
Speaker 3: And she had tried to hook me up with another therapist.
Speaker 4: Too for me to go see what I left the facility, and even with him, it was it just wasn't the right fit, like she.
Speaker 3: Was just the one for me.
Speaker 4: I relapsed in twenty twenty. I was taking perchas all through twenty twenty one. I had a situation where I literally almost overdosed.
Speaker 2: Where were you when that happened.
Speaker 4: I was in Atlanta, I was at home, and I was taken to the hospital and I was put in a situation where they were going through ten sixteen, which means they were going to keep me for a certain amount of time because of when they gave me the narcan, which they give to people who are almost going to overdose. Like I kept nodding off, and like, you know, it's supposed to keep you awake. Luckily, there was a nurse or someone in the hallway who was in there talking about, oh yeah, you don't know DJ Drama was he did all a little Wayne's mixtapes in the two thousands whatever whatever, And they violated the hippo law and I was if if they would have kept me in there, I went to I had to go shoot this movie.
Speaker 3: You people.
Speaker 4: I had to go shoot you people, and I would have missed it. And because they violated the hippolags, I was able to get out early and leave the facility. And you know, even I remember going on that movie set and during breaks of filming having a conversation with Jonah just about his struggles with addiction and things of that nature.
Speaker 3: And yeah, Jonah Hill and we had a.
Speaker 4: Really like in depth, like you know, heart to heart talk and I told him, like man, like I literally just was in the hospital like because of my addiction, and you know, he really opened up to me and like gave me some.
Speaker 3: Good it's a good guy, that's good advice.
Speaker 4: And I knew at that moment that I really, you know, I just I wanted to get clean because I used to tell Amy all the time, like my biggest fear is ending up like Michael Jackson or Prince, you know, and just like opioid is such a dangerous drug because like you know, there's no there's no end in sight, you know, and if they could take the lots with Michael Jackson or Prince, like.
Speaker 3: Who the fuck am I? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And the fear was like that was always my fear, like death, you know what I'm saying. So I went on I was going back on tour again in twenty twenty two with Whiz and Logic, and I was scared because you know, I felt like I only had like three options.
Speaker 3: Three options were.
Speaker 4: I'm either going to go on tour and I'm gonna buy an abundance of perks and be taking too many, or I'm going to go on tour and I'm not going to have them and I'm going to be going through withdrawals. Or I'm going to go on tour without them and be trying to find them and buying them from somewhere where I shouldn't be and they're gonna have fentanyl in them and it's going to be a hazard.
Speaker 3: So I called.
Speaker 4: The the rehab place that I went to erform outside on and maybe like a week before tour, and I just like, look, I'm about to leave, I just need to try the detox for a couple of days before I go. And I went there and I got on the boxing, which I had gotten on the time before, but I didn't stay on it. And this time when I left to go on tour, I stayed on Boxin.
Speaker 2: And that's the detox drug.
Speaker 4: The boxing is a Yeah, it's a it's a drug that they give people to detox off of opioids. It blocks the receptors in your brain that most people get high from opioids off of.
Speaker 2: Does it blocks the craving to do it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It does.
Speaker 4: It blocks the cravings as well, because by blocking the receptors, it doesn't allow you to have those cravings.
Speaker 2: In a sense, it seems like there's two cravings, Like there's a physical craving like your physically your body's physically addicted, but there's also a mental craving of just wanting that feeling of escape. Absolutely, does it block the mental craving as well?
Speaker 4: I would think so, but you know, some of that maybe it's just kind of like a mental thing in its own.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, for me, it was more of me wanting to stop anyway, and the hardest part at that moment was more of the physical addiction and you know, not not wanting to go through the pain of the withdrawals and the things of that nature.
Speaker 3: But if there is the boxing or supplicate.
Speaker 4: Like, there is a part of it that definitely stops your the mental craving as well, you know. So, yeah, so when I got back from tour or when I ran into Shanti, I had at that moment and time had been like six months clean or seven months clean, probably the longest I had had been clean since I had started taking opioids. And you know, I knew that, you know, when we started talking, she was she.
Speaker 3: Asked me if I would be open to share my story.
Speaker 4: And I know that, you know, a person like myself in the position that I was in, especially when no one, no one was aware of my addictions or my issues and that and with that, you know me sure my story could help someone else out. So yeah, you know, she offered and gave me the platform to speak on it, and you know I was more than happy to do.
Speaker 2: So, Yeah, how prevalent are opioids in Atlanta? Just like in your circles, Like I mean about people drinking lean all the time, we see people holding styrofoam cups. But how prevalent actually is it? How big of a problem is it.
Speaker 4: It's very It's it's like common. I mean those were everywhere. I mean, that was even what happened when I got back on them. I mean, you know, I was able to stay clean in those early months because the world was shut down, and you know, I wasn't outside or I wasn't I wasn't in places where I could get them. But as soon as kind of like things started to open back up, or I was you know, out and about in Atlanta, and Atlanta was somewhere that was open a little more earlier than most places. You know, I ran into you know, people who were selling them or where I could I could get them just that easy again, and you know, or just even in regular circles of studio sessions and you know, you know people pop hills like it's it's it's a common thing, you know.
Speaker 2: So do people talk about addiction, like do you feel like, now that you've been through what you've been through and you have more education behind it, do you want to reach out to people and help somebody who you see might be dealing with addiction?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean definitely, because I know how easy it is, like, you know, for it to become a problem, you know, and yeah, you know it's it's scary. It's the scariest part and the most dangerous part is that, like it was a five six thousand dollars a month habit I had. Wow, I was spending close to six figures a year on opioids, and like I was in a position where I could afford the type of habbit of doing that. The average person can't do that and the next step after opioids or not being able to afford consistent percosets heroin, you know what I'm saying. And you know that the rich person or if you watch shows like Dope Sick or the new Netflix series Painkiller, Like the more education I got about, you know, just the opioid crisis and understanding, like it's so easy to see how people can fall into these traps, you know what I mean, and not even not even be aware of it, you know, because when I started out, I started out taking a five miligram percocet, and it was this feeling of euphoria. And then once you take that for a period of time, it doesn't do anything. So then I have to take three of those, and the next thing, you know, I'm taking one hundred and twenty milligrams, you know, to feel that.
Speaker 2: That feeling and throughout the whole day, like you would just.
Speaker 4: I would it got to that point and that happened. I would wake up, I would take a thirty. Then in an afternoon, I would take a thirty, and then at night I would take three thirties and a fifteen or something to go to sleep.
Speaker 2: Did it affect your career in a negative way, it seems, because didn't you do Tyler's album during that time period?
Speaker 3: You know, I was able to really like hi, did I mean?
Speaker 4: You know, there was a time when I was calling myself like a functional junkie, like not the tour I did last year, but the tour I.
Speaker 3: Did in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: In twenty nineteen, you know, I was on percosets constantly, but I would do them during the time, like in between when I would have to work or I would, you know, I was working out every day and working and then you know, still taking perk, So I think I was I was able to hide it for the most part. Like it had more of a negative effect on my life more so than it did my career, you know, your personal life. Yeah, more of my personal life than so much my career. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I imagine it can make you sort of withdraw from people emotionally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it definitely does that.
Speaker 4: And your vision and you know doesn't You don't always make the best logical decisions.
Speaker 3: On them, so you know, it's just it's just not good. They're just terrible.
Speaker 2: Now that you've had a little bit of distance from it, what do you do to stay resilient? What do you do to stay clean?
Speaker 4: I look forward to the twenty second of every month because it's another monthly anniversary of my sobriety. I hit a year on July twenty second, So now this is thank you Sonoun was just thirteen months. And you know, I get more fulfillment and enjoyment of the longevity of saying clean and sober that I do from wanting to take a purpose at and never wanting to go back to that, you know, it's not worth it.
Speaker 2: Do you continue to take some sort of medication.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I take a shot.
Speaker 4: It's called a supplicate shot, which I take monthly, and that definitely is supposed to help with you know, cravings or even feeling the effects of an opioid.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I remember a time recently, or a couple of times recently, where they've been right in my face, you know, around and I had no desire to engage or indulge, and I was extremely proud of myself for that.
Speaker 1: We have to take another quick break and then we'll come back with more from Lea Rose and DJ Drama. We're back with the rest of Leo Rose's conversation with DJ Drama.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to ask you a little bit about your background. What was your home life like, like early childhood? Like, what do you remember about the house you grew up in. Was it a house filled with music? Were your parents into music?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So I grew up between my mother and my father. They split up when I was around two, and I spent like equal amount of times between both households.
Speaker 3: But my dad was a huge duop fan and he had a large record collection.
Speaker 4: I remember my mom had a lot of records too, And they definitely both played a lot of music within the household. And my dad, my dad also listened to a lot of jazz. My mom listened to a lot of jazz, a lot of early eighties R and B, seventies R and B. And you know, I just remember, you know, being introduced to hip hoping at an early age, you know, having a keen love for it. But even over all, even just a came up for music, like you know, I grew up listening to Big Daddy Kane and Guns and Roses krus One a Metallica.
Speaker 2: Did you ever feel like, because being mixed race, your dad is black, your mom is white, did you ever have a period where you felt like you had to sort of pick a side.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean as a young child, you know, I definitely had some identity issues, you know, definitely being so fair skinned or light skinned, you know, and my father always instilled in me, like about my blackness, and you know, at a young age, it was kind of confusing because it was like he would tell me that I'm black. I'd be like, well, okay, but my mom is white, and you know, just I would always get questioned a lot like about what I was or you know, how to identify myself. So you know, it would go from me saying I'm black to me saying I'm mixed, or me having to explain to people or what have you, or you know, being fair skinned but having you know, certain features like big lips or curly hair, and you know, just like.
Speaker 3: Growing up in I guess the eighties and the nineties in.
Speaker 4: That time, Like they're definitely worth some times of confusion or or trying to you know, who I've identify with more or picking aside or things like that, or you know, friend groups and you know, just school and you know.
Speaker 3: Things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how did your parents meet?
Speaker 4: They met because they both were very active in like conscious and liberal political movements, so they met kind of both working around civil rights in the mid to late seventies.
Speaker 2: Cool. Yeah, Philadelphia seems like a very politically active city.
Speaker 3: Definite. Yes.
Speaker 2: Okay. So in addition to every thing that you've built with the mixtapes, with you know, with your podcast, with the albums you've released, you also have now a label imprint called Generation Now, and you've signed two of the most now successful hip hop artists, Little Ooze, Vert Jack Harlowe and they're really living up to the name of the imprint. Yeah, just talk about how you found them or what it was about them that you knew that you wanted to sign them.
Speaker 4: A lot of it was their conviction upon meeting them, their own desire to be great, to be stars, to be you know, the best of the best. You know, they both kind of in a sense like went against the grain. You know, that's something that you know, I've always been keen of. Like even if you look at my story about you know, this kid funtil you moved to Atlanta and dominated you know, southern mixtape scene, like you know, a little Oozi wasn't the norm of what people were used to have artists of what Philadelphia artists sound like, right, Yeah, and you know that definitely attracted us to him.
Speaker 2: But how did you know he would have longevity? Like when you were starting to talk to him and hear his music, Like, how did you know that he's someone who's worth investing long term in?
Speaker 4: I mean, to be honest, I don't know if you ever really do you know. I mean, it's like it's it's the music business. I mean, it's all at gamble, you know. I mean, I definitely saw the talent in him. You know, I saw his Again, it's the conviction, like he knew he was a rock star, and you know, he was always very confident of like how dope his shit was, or you.
Speaker 3: Know Jack is. You know there's videos of Jack rapping at twelve than thirteen.
Speaker 4: Like I stand behind his ability to want to be great and to want to have longevity and you know, wanting to be a great performer and you know, which he wasn't always, but you know, I mean again, he was a sponge that you know, we watched like soak it up and we're able to lend our shoulders to artists and bring the knowledge and then you know the years of legacy that we have and you know, to help them for their careers.
Speaker 2: When you and Lake and Cannon are talking about signing Jack Harlow to the generation now, that becomes a huge co sign for Jack and that can change the trajectory of his career. Right, What was it about him that made you confident?
Speaker 3: I just was always impressed of how comfortable in his own skinn he was. And like its note of you know, of hip hop or you know we we we we had a fond.
Speaker 4: Interest in the same films and movies, and you know, watching him rap like you know, lyric lyrically, and like what he in the conversations I had with him of what he where he wanted to be, and you know, where he wanted to go as an artist, like he wanted to be one of the greats, and like, you know, that was enough for me. That was like, here's this kid from Louisville, Kentucky that looks like Napoleon dynamite that you know, like it's going to shock the world. So you know, again, I just think like I've always found a lot of success and and someone kind of like going against the grain. And I remember having conversations with the label and you know, some people being a little skeptical about us signing a white artist, and I was like, look, it's not it's not the year.
Speaker 3: Two thousand anymore. Like them is not the only one that can exist. Like you know, just sit back and watch what we do. You know, we did it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys have had tremendous success. Congratulations on Thank you on all the success. What are you working on now? Like, what's next? I know you're working on probably a million things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm in the process of finishing up a book deal who memoir, potentially a memoir Stay tuned. Generation Now we have our management company, so we now have a little Tyler, Ruby Rose, Mariaha scientists on Generation Now Management. We're in the process of signing some new artists, one of them being this artist named kay Cash and another.
Speaker 3: One that will announce very soon.
Speaker 4: I'm finishing up this tour with Snoop and Wiz and going to go right into start working on a new album and then we all we're working on some film projects as well.
Speaker 2: How are you sleeping now, like a baby, I.
Speaker 3: Just sleep peacefully. You know, I'm at a space and where you know, life is amazing.
Speaker 4: I get up, I work out, and you know, my day is pretty fulfilled if it's a normal average day.
Speaker 3: I put my ass to bed about eleven eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: That's great. Thank you so much, Drama for doing this. I appreciate you so much and I'm so proud of you. So good to be connected again.
Speaker 3: No, for sure, it's great to talk to you all this time.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Djdrama for being so open about his addiction and recovery. We wish him continued success. And personally, I look forward to the return of the greatest mixtape series of all time with the dedication seven. Whenever that drops. You can hear all of our favorite official djdrama tracks on the playlist at broken record podcast dot com. You can subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash broken Record Podcast, where you can find all of our new episodes. You can follow us on Twitter at broken Record. Broken Record is produced with help from Leah Rose, Jason Gambrel, Ben Holliday, and Eric Samer. Our editor is Sophie Crane. Broken Record is a production of Pushkin Industries. If you love this show and others from Pushkin, consider subscribing to Pushkin Plus. Pushkin Plus is a podcast subscription that offers bonus content an uninterrupted ad free listening for four ninety nine a month. Look for Pushkin Plus on Apple podcast subscriptions, and if you like the show, please remember to share, rate, and review us on your podcast app. Our theme music Expectkenny Beats. I'm Justin Rischmith