Speaker 1: And so I used to believe it was all about the collection of things. And so what I began to do was say, if I buy, I must use, and if I don't use, I can no longer buy. And so all the shoes you see behind me, I tell people all the time. They say, oh, you're showing off all your shoe collection. No, baby, this is my journey. This is my journey. Each shoe represents something that I went through, how hard it was. The higher the heel, the more difficult the struggle.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Money Moves powered by Greenwood, a finance podcast dedicated to dropping all the knowledge and gems from the world's leading celebrities, entrepreneurs and experts, and tech, business and more. I'm your host, angel investor, technology enthusiasts, and media personality Tanya Sam. Each week we talk with guests who are making significant strides in their fields and learn how they are making their money booth. If you're someone who's looking to make your money move, you're in the right place. So open up your notes app and lock us in, because this podcast will give you the keys to the Kingdom of financial stability, wealth and abundance. You so rightly deserve. Before we start the episode, I'd like to remind you to check us out at gogreenwood dot com and follow us on social media at Greenwood and me on all Things social at It's Tanya. Time to stay locked in to new episode. Hey, Moneymovers, I'm your host, Tanya Sam and welcome back to another episode of Money Moves. Our guest this week is an exceptional multimedia personality, a passionate adoption advocate and a true inspiration who has risen from foster care to media stardom. Her unwavering dedication to empowering women and championing adoption makes.
Speaker 3: Her a remarkable presence.
Speaker 2: You might recognize her as the co host of The blg we Show and blgque Uncut, as well as multiple other podcasts. Join us today as we delve into her incredible journey and the meaningful impact of her work. In this captivating conversation, Moneymovers, please give a warm.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Jasmine Sanders.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: Jasmin, Hi, thank you so much for having me at FYI. I need to caption that so I can use it for my bio in the future.
Speaker 3: I like the way you're out it. It was nice.
Speaker 1: I was like who is this woman that she is speaking of. Oh that's me, that's me.
Speaker 2: Well, pat yourself on the back, Sis. I'm so happy to have you here and all that is true. We're going to unpack so much more of who you are and what you've done and how you got here and all the lives you've touched. And I'm so excited to introduce you to our Moneymover's audience today.
Speaker 3: So welcome, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy to be here. Anytime that I have the opportunity to speak to another sister, I absolutely love it. I believe in supporting and I believe in in the life that you live. If you're not sharing lessons from your journey, I don't care how much money you make, I don't care how good you do, you are living in vain. You have to share it. That's the most important thing to me. So thank you for allowing me to grace your platform.
Speaker 3: Exactly what it's all about.
Speaker 2: And that's why I love Like sometimes I have these pinch mean moments where I'm like, we're just going to share and tell other people and inspire, and then you know, it always comes full circle when someone comes back and they'll be like, I heard Jasmine's story and this really resonated with me, and this caused me to do something different and make my money move.
Speaker 3: In my life. I always start off.
Speaker 2: By asking people and we're you know, you talk very vocally about having grown up in foster care and here you are, and I know there is a long journey before there, but I want to start off because I ask everybody this go back to little Jasmine, and how did you really think about money, whether it was in foster care or who were the people that really instilled thoughts of money? And this is a really broad question for so many, but what did that look like as a young person to you?
Speaker 1: Well, I will be fully transparent and say that for me money we didn't really have a great conversation or a bad conversation about money. Now, I didn't actually grow up in the foster care system, but I was there for about five years before I got my forever family, and you know, I had a lot of lessons to learn as an adult because the way my mama looked at money, I looked at money and that was it's always there, it's easily accessible, and you just spend it as soon as you get it, and so she had a terrible relationship with money. Now I will say we were not in debt, but it was an unfair burden that was placed on my dad that I didn't understand until later. So my mama would say, I want it. My daddy would have worked hard and go get it. But then I noticed that my mama shopped every single day, which trickled down to me, you know, And I would say, she would write these checks. Now I'm dating myself because people don't use checks anymore, but she would write. What I was like, I got to get me some of these little paper things, so I too can buy things. And I did not understand the connection between the check the bank account and the money or the money that wasn't in the bank account. So I grew up believing that the money was the check and not that the money was in the bank and the check represented what you had or what you didn't have. And so so many of us, so many of us. And you know, another really big lesson was I watched my mama a mass all of these clothes. Don't jail, are you about these shoes behind me? But she amassed all of these clothes and she never wore them. And so I used to believe it was all about the collection of things. And so what I began to do was say, if I buy, I must use, and if I don't use, I can no longer buy. And so all the shoes you see behind me, I tell people all the time. They say, oh, you're showing off all your shoe collection. No, baby, this is my journey. This is my journey. Each shoe represents something that I went through, how hard it was. The higher the heel, the more difficult the struggle. That's why you see I'm over here with the chunkies because they're a little lower because I had to come down. Right, So this is the life that I've walked in, that's right. And if I pan a little to the left, you'll see my sneakers. That means that I understood that there were some things that I had to run through and not tiptoe through, you know what I mean. And so with the moment, I'm just dropping jewels. Pick them up as you need them. I honestly believe now when I buy, when I no longer use and they no longer serve me, they go to someone else, so that someone else can now take a journey either in my shoes or begin to walk a path of their own, which is something my mama never did. She died with all of these clothes in the closet with tags on, and I said, that will not be me.
Speaker 2: That is so interesting and fascinating, and it's it's you know, I don't think until we start having these conversations that we unpack the stuff.
Speaker 3: Like it's so nuanced, right, and so when you're.
Speaker 2: Family, it was like, we have this money, we buy all these things, but we don't touch it was still like the idea of like putting the plastic on the couch like period.
Speaker 3: That was it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and I'm glad for you you recognize like I wanted to do something different.
Speaker 3: I want to wear these things. It's not just about amassing your wealth in things. You got it. It has to be useful in your life. It has to.
Speaker 1: But it took. It took my mother's death and me actually going through her closet because I was never allowed to go through her closet. So going through her closet and seeing these tags, all I could think was it represented what she missed. And by the way, what was she waiting for? What was the opportunity that never came that she did not wear this gorgeous outfit that she paid all of this money for. And so now I will put on a gorgeous outfit for no damn reason because me too.
Speaker 3: People.
Speaker 2: I'm one of those people where I have lots of stuff, but they are my things, they are my treasures. But I definitely have like zero tags on items in my closet, probably zero, And I have a lot of friends who are the exact opposite.
Speaker 3: But I wear it. I wear it over and over.
Speaker 2: You're going to be sick of me in this thing because it's my favorite this month or whatever. Like I wear my stuff because I think I've gone through the stages where I feel like the correlation between having stuff showing people you know, and especially with Instagram, now I think it's very different because you have to show it on the gram or else you don't have it, whereas in our parents twn, well you know.
Speaker 1: And the way I look at that is I am worthy of something that belongs just to me, So I don't need to share with the world because once I do that, it is no longer mine. And now people feel as though they have permission to say, oh, you wore that before, or I've seen that before. Now I'm not going to give you that kind of permission. This is mine. I bought it for my own gentification, and I can wear it whenever I want, as often as I want to, and it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to today's episode. If we helped you make your money move, please share it with your community, Subscribe and leave us a review on iHeartRadio and Apple podcasts. Follow us on social media at Greenwood and visit us at Gogreenwood dot com for more financial tips and remember, money movers, If this were easy, everyone would do it. So take the lessons you've learned from this episode and apply it to your life. Money Moves is an iHeartRadio podcast powered by Greenwood Executive produced by Sunwise Media, Inc. For more podcasts on iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts from. Make sure to tune in Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and so subscribe to the Money Moose podcast powered by Greenwood, so that you too can have the keys to financial freedom you so rightly deserve. Until next time,