Speaker 1: All the media.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the War Update and Update about War. I'm your host Miya Wong with the is is James and Robert.
Speaker 1: War never changes, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Yeah, except for Yeah, I mean all the time changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, except for all the changes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's a line from the film.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean the most important part doesn't change, which is most things in a proper place at right time, right, That's that's that's what determines war winning. But the things that matter are what change.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Also what doesn't change? Not great fun for the most part, and un enjoyable way to spend your time.
Speaker 3: Not enjoyable except for for the chunk of people who tend to make most of the calls.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, enjoyable a lot. Yeah, enjoyable. You're an old guy in a big house. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna be talking about three wars. Yeah. I think we're gonna We're gonna lead off with the India Pakistan war, and then we're gonna do the other two wars in some order you want to do you want to announce the other two wars?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna talk about the end of the of the armed conflict between the PKK and the Turkey State. Maybe mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll be talking about Yemen a little bit.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, man, yeah, let's let's Oh god, let's do this. Okay. So good news missed is that. Look, we do have good news, which is that we have not all died in the nuclear fires. I know there are some of you for whom you were very disappointed, but we're all still here for better or for worse, I mean for better, Like I'm very glad we didn't all dine in nuclear fire. Yeah, so let's let's let's talk about the recent war between India and Pakistan. Lasted about four days, so all right. Well, we talked about this a little bit before. The very basic sort of elements of this conflict. We talked about partition on the show before. When India sort of gain in dependence from the British Empire, it split into Indian Pakistan. Millions died, horrific sort of conflict, people killing each other, like mass migrations across the borders. Very very very unstable set of borders get set up that change a bunch of times. And one of the aspects of this sort of whole thing is that Kashmir was supposed to be this independent state and then through an extremely convoluted process that I am again once again pushing off to another episode with like actual good experts on this, because this is a very very convoluted thing. But the short version of it basically is that this series is sort of escalating conflicts end ends basically in a short war and then kasher being split into between India and Pakistan, where like about a third roughly of Kashmir ends up under Pakistani control and then about two thirds ends up under Indian. Now there's an agreement signed by sort of Kashmir's ruler at the time to let India like annex like two thirds of Kashmir or so the actual dividing line basically ends up being like where the armies stopped. You know, it changes over the years. But the important thing here, right is that Kashmir is supposed to have had an independence referendum, Right that was like, yeah, the deal now in a move that is like Genny Winey even more stunning than the ship that like Indonesia pulled in West Papua so ins Papua, right, like Indonesia pulls a like fake independence referendum here, they've never even done that, like the never never pretended to have the referendum, and they're supposed to have.
Speaker 1: It's like a sub assad level attempt at democracy, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, they're just like nope, each ship like you're you're, you're basically a colony now. Now as as part of this deal, right, Kashmir got a pretty substantial amount of autonomy. I'm gonna read there. There's actually there's a very good Jacobin one of the rare good Jacobin articles, which usually tend to be the ones written like not by the American Jocobin writers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm freelancer who made fifty US dollars for writing. Yeah, and that's their rate to goun up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is written by Irish k And I'm gonna quote here from this article. Quote central to the instrument of a session. It's the document that the ruler of Kashmir signed is sort of Likedhan Kashmir ver to India. Quote what's the constitutional provision of Article three seventy which assured the Kashmiri people autonomy over all matters besides those pretending to defense, external affairs and communications. The article was supposed to be temporary and provisional, because there was a promise of a referendum by which the people of Kashmir would decide their own political fate to remain part of India, to join up with Pakistan, or become an independent state. But as you've already mentioned, this has never happened. I mean, they didn't even do it, sham one. It just literally didn't ever happen. And India has just been imposing its rule in Kashmir ever since. And I mean it's also worth pointing out that Pakistan has also been imposing its rule on like it's part of Kashmir. But the Indian occupation has become increasingly brutal basically since it's starting, it's just continued to get worse and worse, and it is sort of a full blown military occupation, right There's just like a bunch of fucking Indian troops in the street. And as it becomes clear that India is like never going to let Kashmir be free or just even let the Kashmi people decide what they want, Milton struggles and sews. And as Kate points out, it's originally spearheaded by the secular Jamu Kashmir Liberation Front, and this group has just sort of wiped out because it wanted an independent Kashmir. And this was convenient to neither the Indian or the Pakistani government because Pakistan and Pakistan talks about this a lot internatually, Like one of their sort of international political things is like, yeah, we want free Kashmir. But it's like, no, you don't. You want Kashmir be part of Pakistan. That is not the same thing as it being free, like very clear about this, yeah and so and so Pakistan's engagement towards Kashmir has always been about this, right, It's always been about making sure that there wouldn't be any kind of sort of independent Kashmir. And so both India and Pakistan crush this sort of secular KASHMIRI independence group that happen spearheading a lot of this, and over time Pakistan is sort of through it, through a complicated series of things, has sorted a lot of control over a lot of these groups or has like intelligence relations with them. Is SI kind of notoriously works with militant groups like the I s. I is the group in Afghanistan that like really full on did the thing that everyone thinks that the US and the Saudi sort of did in in terms of like funding the worst parts of the Mujahadeen, like that was really mostly Pakistani intelligence. Yeah, so like they have a lot of relations with the bunch of people who absolutely fucking suck, and they've you know, sort of used a lot of these a lot of these groups as like a way to sort of poke a stick in India and also you know, like attempt to obtain their sort of like domestic political goals of like weakening India for the real sort of internal stability, which we'll come back to later, well, the interior's ability of like military of the power of the military in Pakistan, and also like taking the rest of Kashmir. Yeah, and so this has caused a really horrific conflict in which the people of Kashmir have suffered a bunch of horrible shit. In twenty nineteen, that autonomy, you know again that the autonomy that was the carrot in order to like join in order to exchange for cashmer joining India right and supposedly getting this referendum, like the like the carrot was supposed to be that they're supposed to have an unbelievable amount of internal autonomy. And in twenty nineteen it had been being eroded for a long time, but in twenty nine India is just like each hit fuck you, it's gone, now have fun. And this causes a bunch of protests, It causes Milton Group attacks, It causes a genuinely astonishing crackdown. I mean, like they they turned off the phones in the internet in Kashmir. The Indian government just like did this and it became unbelievably difficult to get any information out. They arrested unbelievable numbers of people. There are i mean just absolutely horrifying accounts of the ship that Indian security forces were doing to people. You know what I mean, Like this is this is this is a colonial occupation, right. The things that happen in the colonial occupation, they fucking torture people, they kill people, they like they rape people. It's it's really fucked And during this as as more sort of like militant attacks rupt like in India, does the first version of its well not the first version, but it does. It does like it launches a series of attacks on southern Pakistan and this is kind of you know, there were escalations of it a couple of years ago. But you know, the sort of big deal this time was insurgents and it's we have a group that claimed responsibility for it. It's still I don't know, it's still unclear the extent to which packs INNY government was actually involved. There's the whole thing with this. But a bunch a bunch of sort of insurgents killed like twenty five Hindu tourists in a Kashmari tourist town and it's really fucking horrifying. This immediately causes this just unhinged wave of Indio nationalism, like you do for a sort of nationalism in India. We talked last time about all of these Indian government officials like literally talking about quote it Israel style final solution to Kashmir. So a bunch of very very horrific shit is happening. Yeah, and then India decides that it's it's going to start launching attacks across the border. There's like the immediate small arms fire, there's missile strikes, there's drone attacks, and then as this sort of escalates, India launches attacks on three Pakistani air bases and again like they hit an air base that is in the city where Pakistan's Army General headquarters is, which is a kind of provocation that has not happened since like the last time these two countries were just straight up at war. And you know, like that could have killed us all. It didn't, but it absolutely could have, and it was also just horrifying for it. And it's worth pointing this out right. The people who are getting killed on both sides of the border here, like Ar Keshmiri's right, because like their home has been occupied by these two powers. When when India and Pakistan go to war, the people who die on both sides are Ar kashmiris right, who are being killed by two states who decided, fuck you, we get to control your fate. We get to be the people who fucking occupy your land and then claim to be the people who represent you. And you know, the civilian toll of this is fucking horrifying. There's a bunch of a bunch of civilians are killed. People spend a huge amount of time cowering in these like horrifying overcrowded bunkers. There's a good sort of BBC report on this, Like there's so many people packed into bunkers that like you can't even like walk. Everyone's just like pressed against each other. And three days later you come out of your bunker and your fucking house is gone. And those are the people who survived, right. It's it's just horrifying, And eventually there's a ceasefire. Everyone is now saying different things about the ceasefire. The Indian government is trying to downplay the US's role in the ceasefire. The Pakistani government has been talking about how a whole bunch of places were involved, including like Iran and Turkey to some extent, or Turkey more than Iran. It seems like the US, the UK, and Saudi Arabia all played a role in sort of mediating it. That that we can sort of confirm the US SEMs to have played the largest role, which I guess I don't know. Like Marco Rubio was like, we should probably not have a war between to nuclear powers, which okay, I'm glad that, like he's finally found a thing, a level that he won't stoop to, which is we all die in nuclear war.
Speaker 1: I mean, like I would rather Maka Rubio was not the Secretary of State, but like of the people who could be under Trump administration. He's not as bad as somebody other folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's like he we are fully in Like which of Hitler's generals would you prefer to be in charge of this territory? All these people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't need it. We don't need a debate raml right now. What we do need to do is throw to ads the Irwin Rommel of the podcast industry.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there are a few things about this conflict that are very, very bad. One is that India has demonstrated the capacity to launch attacks against Pakistan that don't involve them mobilizing their ground troops, which takes forever. It is hard. That's really fucking bad. It's also bad that again they fucking hit like the air base next to Pakistan General Army General Headquarters, which means if they try to do another attack, they're gonna have to hit a bigger target and they apparently it seems like the Indian government has sort of concluded that they can do this now. It's also very bad that like most of the like domestic Indian left supported this, including CPIM to the comediest Party of India Marxist, which is like the sort of social democratic technically maoist party that is supposed to be like the left in India, like back the attacks, and they've always had a fucking terrible line on Kashmir. So it's also we're mentioning a little bit. There's been a lot of reporting about India. You know, Modia isn't making a bunch of noise about trying to just straight up cut off Pakistan's access to water, which is very scary. Yeah, it's worth noting. Kay talks about this in that Jocobin piece. Case argument basically is that like they don't actually have the infrastructure to do this, which is good because I mean that would be a genocide. Like if they just knocked out all back Then's access to water for agricultural purposes and for drinking purposes, it'd be really bad. But here's what I'm going to read this quote. Under the Treaty regulations, India is required to share hydrological data that is essential for planning to deal with floods and or drought dream monsoon seasons. Denying Pakistan access to this data would have a damaging impact. Moreover, because of the limited storage capacity, India can change the timing of water flow, which is crucial for many crops during sewing seasons. So there is still a lot of damage they can do. They can't straight up do like a genocide, but they can do a lot of damage. And while both sides have backed off of like direct military conflict, India still is committed to every single thing they can do to fuck with Pakistan, which affects just like the people Pakistan. This has also been politically very good for Modi because alternationalism has been bolstering the sort of like Pakistani military government because there are alternationalists feed off of this, and it's once again really fucking bad for the people of Kashmir, who are the ones getting killed in on both sides of the border. Yep, war is bad. Free Kashmir hate this.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of war being bad, let's talk about what's going on in Yemen. So if you remember from the last quarter or so of the Biden administration, after Israel launched, there were prizal attacks to October seventh on Gaza, the Huthis, which is a depending on your stance, either the legitimate government of Yemen or a rebel group in Yemen. You know, the international community stance is a rebel group, the Houthis Stance is different started launching a series of missile attacks, both aimed at Israel and aimed at shipping in the Gulf of Aden, right in order to disrupt because the significant amount of the world's trade goes through there. And this took a number of forms. They have ballistic missiles, some of them are indigenous, by which I mean made by the who the these oftentimes using stocks that were captured from the military and government of Yemen previously. You know that they supplanted in a lot of areas and other times using missiles that were given to them by Iran. Yeah, right, so it's a mix of tactics. They have also used drones and they have also landed troops in order to capture bulk freighters, including one called the Galaxy Leader and I think twenty twenty three that was full of cars and their claim was that it was a British vessel, and obviously the Brits had been helping to arm and support Israel. The vessel was actually registered in Lebanon. However, whenever we get to discussions about like whose vessel is, who's none of that. None of what is registered matters vessels are registered all over the place for a variety of nothing.
Speaker 4: It's always nonsense.
Speaker 3: That means nothing in Marshall Islands. Yeah, like nothing in the entire world. Matters less to the reality of a situation than where the vessel is registered. I'm not saying that justifies er does it with the houthis that. I'm just saying it does not matter where the vessel is registered. Yeah, yeah, the ship was owned by a Lebanon based company. But also given the nature of capitals, it doesn't all matter all that much.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: What also doesn't matter is that in January of this year, the Hoothi's freed the captain of that ship and they made an announcement that they would limit further attacks to vessels flagged at as Israeli or owned by Israeli individuals or entities. Right now, that also doesn't mean a lot, right, because the nature of international trade means that there are a lot of you know, you could basically argue, if you're the houthis well this this is owned by a multinational corporation who owns companies in Israel, or who has heavy investments in companies in Israel. Therefore, right as a result, you know, the Hoothi's continued doing the hoothy stuff and saw them as kind of a convenient target, a convenient place to flex's military muscles. And there were some people within the United States defense establishment that considered that extremely convenient, too, right, And this is largely due to the fact that Biden prescribed a very limited campaign against the Huthies. Now this does not mean inexpensive or insignificant. We kept at least one aircraft carrier carrying out strikes in Yemen for like a year or so, which is kind of the first combat duty that an aircraft carrier has had in quite some time that was really like active taking incoming fire, not incoming fire that ever really threatened the carrier itself.
Speaker 4: But that's sort of beside the point.
Speaker 3: And there were people within the US military establishment who were consistently frustrated with the Biden administration that they were not letting them operate at a high enough tempo, right, And kind of the number one guy advocating for this side of events was General Michael E. Carilla, who is the head of Central Command or syentcom right, and his attitude had been wed a much more aggressive, high tempo campaign he pitched the Trump administration when they came in. I think it's like an eight to ten month long campaign where initially they would degrade who their anti air asset. So first we go in there and we use our air power to establish air what's called air supremacy.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Air superiority means that you have better quality air support, but also your shit can get knocked down. Air supremacy means you have complete control of the skies.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: The US military is fairly used to having air supremacy if you look at, like, for example, our combat in Iraq and Afghanistan when it came to like height, like like fighter aircraft helicopters would get shot down from time to time obviously and have accidents. We weren't losing F eighteens in Afghanistan, right, like they weren't getting knocked out of the fucking sky by the Taliban. We had air supremacy in Ukraine. Depending on what part of the battlespace you're talking about, either things have been more or less at a standstill, or Russia has had air superior but not supremacy, right, because Ukraine has very solid modern anti aircraft defenses, and it has been able to exact a toll. We will talk to a greater extent about what's been happening with India and Pakistan. It is exceedingly unclear at the moment who got the better of the engagement. Did any of those Chinese anti aircraft missiles actually knock out aircraft? Did any India lose any aircraft? Did Pakistan down an aircraft? We actually like everyone's making different claims right now, and I don't have objective evidence right other than that we can we know that things that there's at least evidence of, at least one case what looks like refkage of a rough fall, and in at least one case there's what looks like a knocked down Chinese anti aircraft missile. I'm spacing on the exact name right now, but again that doesn't mean anything about how they actually affair in the battlespace, right So anyway, Yeah, this motherfucker he had a syncom. Michael Lee Carilla was like, I've got this plan. We need a much more force. We're going to knock out their anti air defenses and then we're going to basically carry out a modif version of what Israel carried out against Hamas and has Belah, Right, where we start targeting and killing the leadership cadro once we've knocked out their defenses. And he estimated that would take about a little under a year, right, but the better part of a year. And the Trump administration said, you can have your higher tempo war, but you've got to.
Speaker 4: Show results in about a month.
Speaker 3: Right, In about a month, the US military carried out about eleven hundred strikes. They killed, they say, hundreds of hooty fighters, destroyed quite a bit of weapons and equipment. Very unclear how many fighters they killed, certainly hundreds of people. Were those all hoothy fighters? How many weapons and equipment were destroyed? I don't have access to that sort of data, and I'm not entirely confident that anyone in the US military has a much better idea certainly a little bit more data. But also they get that shit wrong all the fucking time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's also like it's worth noting right when they're talking about like casualty numbers, the Huthis are not a small rebel group like now they control the capital of Yemen, right, Like this is like the government, right, Yeah, they have.
Speaker 3: Not a peer state in terms of the US and that they do not have the manufacturing base and capacity, but they are equivalent to a small state actor, right yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: So and so what you're bombing them, right like you're you're just you're blowing smoking creators and apartment buildings.
Speaker 3: And the Hoothies are so experienced with getting bombed. They've been bombed by a lot of people before. None of this is new to them, right, yeah. So in the first thirty days, while they you know, the US has made a lot, has made a lot of claims about how many people they killed and the level of degradation of Hoothy capacity, the Houthis have done some damage to US capacity. They have shot down seven at this point at least seven m Q nine Reaper drones, which are thirty million dollars each. And in addition, now four f eighteen jets have been lost not probably not yeah, probably just to fuck ups that are a result of the tenth of activity.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: These all tend to be craft that are landing and don't get caught by the catapult system that they've got on these aircraft carriers or otherwise wind up in the Red Sea. Right, there is some suspicion and debate is to like, is there any sort of like internal treason going on here? Is somebody on the aircraft carrier making these fuck ups happen. This is being investigated, I believe, although there's no confirmation about like what exactly has gone down. It's weird to lose this many FA eighteen super hornets and a very short period of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will say my understanding of it, also, is it the everything that's going on here is that this aircraft carrier has been out past the point it should have been refitted. Yes, like so extraordinarily.
Speaker 3: And it's also not weird that people fuck up when they are carrying on operations at a tempo they never have before. Right, And there's a very good chance that it's nothing more than that the more you fly, the more accidents are going to happen.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Period. Also say, I want to say, imagine you were like the deck office.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that poor motherfucker, that motherfucker's getting fucked, Like yeah, I think the first one goes over, right, and then the second one, uh huh goes yeah, And now it's happening right now, you've probably been you're out of the push job, and that first guy is kind of lucky because when the next two fall off, at least maybe that's.
Speaker 4: Less pressure on you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like imagine like you're the deck officer of the fourth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Jesus right, God, that's gotta suck. So in about thirty days, the US military had burned more than a billion dollars on this operation, right at which point Trump and people around him were like, oh fuck, we can't keep this ship up. We can't maintain this tempo of operations. There were warnings given for within the Defense Department that we have used so many of our most advanced munitions that if China makes a move on Taiwan, we're not sure we have the reserves necessary right these munitions. When we talk a lot about the capacity of US firepower, people talk about shit like in twenty eighteen, how we like a There was this Alqaeda guy who had been responsible for the attack on the US coal twenty something.
Speaker 4: Years ago, Yeah, a long gas time ago, who used.
Speaker 3: A cell phone he shouldn't have used briefly and then turned it off, and we were able to get visual confirmation of where he was from the cell phone signal and knock his ass out with a drone right, and we do have incredible capacity potentially to make unbelievably precise strikes. However, that capacity is reliant both upon a functional network of human intelligence, a functional network of operators of aircraft and drones who are not completely burnt out by the tempo of operations, and access to incredibly advanced munitions, which we do not have an inexhaustible capacity and are reliant upon an international supply chain to continue to manufacture right, and all of that has been endangered by the tempo of this campaign. And ultimately there's a great New York Times report on this that's just absolutely damning to the military that came out as called why Trump suddenly declared victory over the Hoothy militia, that declared that after all of this, the best we can say is perhaps a modest degradation of Hoothy capacities that they can easily recover from given enough time, which they're going to get. Because Trump both declared victory and stated that the Hoothies had yet again agreed to stop striking shipping in the Red Sea, and he was like, this is a win. We made a deal with him, big deal maker. Donald Trump made a deal. Now, if you look at the Houthi said, all they said is we're going to stop striking Israeli shipping, which, if you'll recall, is what they had said in January.
Speaker 4: So did we win?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Did the Hoothies win? Not yet, but they're you know, they didn't lose. And again, if you understand your insurgent warfare, you win by just not losing for long enough.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, and it's also worth it's worth mentioning too when you're talking about the global supply chain part of this. Right, on the one hand, like the US has done an extraordinary amount to try to make sure that as much as the supply chain as they can is in the US. On the other hand, it still requires a bunch of chef mother places, including a bunch of rare earth metals that the US gets from China. Now you may be noting we are currently fighting a trade war with China. A bunch of the our like strategic planning is about stopping a Chinese invasion of Taiwan. So and we've just expended a shit ton of our stack pilot yeahs, that we can only replace by using shit we get from China. So absolute just gedious brain shit that that that's happening here right now at the highest levels of the highest levels of the regime.
Speaker 1: Meanma has a lot of rare earth metals, but we have China is currently lot closer to securing those than the United States is. Yeah, it's not great.
Speaker 3: Well that's all I got. That's the hoodies. Let's have another ad break real quick here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 4: Let's do that.
Speaker 1: Let's have an ad break. Lovely, what a nice advertising break we are. Now that I know many of you have been asking me about what is happening in Kurdistan, so I'm going to try my best to very briefly explain that in the last segment of this show. So, the PKK right, the PKK being the branch of the Kurdish Freedom Movement that has operated in Turkey as Turkey or Northern Kurdistan, and mostly since the mid twenty teens has been based in a Rack or Southern Kurdistan. Right, it convened its twelfth Congress in the second week of May and it decided to disband it self, lay down its arms, and I think the phrasing it used was to cease armed activities under the PKK name, which is a way of saying things more broadly, It did genuinely seem to indicate a commitment to like this sort of ballot not the bullet approach. And I'm going to quote kind of extensively here from the statement that the PKK released, and then from other statements from people Genmilbick, the leader, one of the co chairs of the KCK. The KK, if you're not familiar, it's a Curdistan Communities Union that is a group that allows the different areas of the Kurdish Freedom Movement, all of which are inspired by the political thought of abd Aujilan, to sort of come together and discuss their paradigm, their goals, their methodologies. I guess, so I want to read from the PKK statement to begin with quote the process initiated by Leader Abdullah or Janan statement of February twenty seventh, and further shaped by his extensive work and multi dimensional perspectives, culminated in the successful convening of our twelfth Party Congress between May fifth and May the seventh, despite ongoing clashes, aerial and ground attacks, continued siege of our regions, and the KDP embargo our Congress was held securely under challenging conditions due to security concerns. It was conducted simultaneously in two different locations, with a participation of two hundred and thirty two delegates in total. The PKK twelfth Congress discussed leadership, martyrs, veterans, the organizational structure of the PKK and armed struggle and democratic society building, culminating in the historic decisions marking the beginning of a new era for a freedom movement. It's a very long statement, as tends to be the style of statements from the Curdish freedom movement. It talks a lot about Abdullah Jelen, as tends to be the style of statement from the Kurdish freedom movement. I've I have linked to itinly shown as if you'd like to read all of it, and you know, I'd encourage you too, you're interested in this sort of thing. They talk a lot about the democratic nation concept and the idea that occurs in Turks of coxisted in Turkey for a long time. I thought this part was of interest, and going to quote again here the decision of our Congress to dissolve the PKK and end the method of armed struggle offers a strong basis for a lasting piece and a democratic solution. Implementing these decisions requires that leader Appo Appo, it's the evocative form of the Kurdish word for paternal uncle, but in this in this instance, it is referring to abdulah Jaalan, right, that's his nickname. Leader Appo, lead and guide the process that has right to democratic politics be recognized and that solid, comprehensive legal guarantees be established. At this stage, it is essential that the Grand National Assembly of Turkey plays its role with historical responsibility. So a couple of things that are of note there. One is that the talking about this transition towards democracy or a brotherhood of nations, the talk about somewhere else right, brotherhood of people's it's occurring under the leadership and direction of Abdulla Jelan. If you are not familiar with Abdullah Ouscherlan, you can listen to Robert's theories. So the women's wards are the great job of explaining a lot of the stuff that we won't have time to get into today. Very briefly, Appo has been in Imrali and various other Turkish prisons since nineteen ninety nine. For long periods of that time, no one was able to see him. He was held completely in communicado. At times there were hundreds of troops guiding only him on this Turkish prison island. That is no longer a case. Right. He made this statement on the twenty seventh of February, and since then the Kurdish Freedom Movement has had access to Ouscherlan. Right. He actually made another statement on the eighteenth of May where he said, I quote, a new contract is needed based on the law of brotherhood. What we are doing represents a major paradigm shift. The nature of the Turkish Kurdish relationship is fundamentally different what has been broken in the bond of brotherhood. It seems like through the DEM Party right, which is a left leaning party in Turkey, which has supported the Kurdish cause and for a long time has served as the interlocutor between Turkey and the Kurdish Freedom movement. Through the DEM Party, they have access to Ouserland and they're able relatively frequently. It seems like these DEM Party officials to go to him rally and talk to him, and so they're talking about his leadership continuing through this democratic Transition right for the Curdish Freedom Movement. Jimil Bikes Jimil Bick again is the co chair of the casey K and institutions. Within the Kurdish Freedom Movement. There's a co chair system, right, which means so that a man and a woman share the chairmanship of an institution, such that patriarchal structures aren't replicated in the movement. That's the goal of the co chair system. He has a two part interview in A and F which I've linked again in the notes. He talked about how like the first role of the PKK, of the movement, even before it was called the PKK, was to quote unquote reveal the Kurdish quote unquote Kurdish question. Right, That's how they refer to it. Other times I'll talk about her Kurdish people were on their knees and like under the leadership of Augiland they stood up. They talk about also how Mount Ararat, Turkey has a plaque apparently where it says like here is buried the imaginary Kurdish nation, and like the Kurdish nation is certainly not buried anymore, right, Like it it's very active. Kurds are very politically empowered in two of the four countries where Kurds live, right, Like in Turkey they are to a lesser extent, but they're still present, right, No one could deny their presence. In Iran, it's still, I guess more difficult the time for the Kurdish freedom movement, Biack said. Within our initial paradigm, our first manifesto, the Kurdish identity, the Kurdish people and Kurdish society were formed. A society in love with freedom was formed. People emerged that would fight for freedom under any circumstances. On this basis, we are now developing a new paradigm, a second manifesto. This paradigm, this manifesto aimed to resolve not only the Kurdish question, but also the issues of the peoples of the Middle East and humanity as a whole. Rabert Apple, Rayber Smith's leader, Raybert Apple is no longer leading only the Kurdish people. He's leading all peoples of humanity. Yeah it's yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's yeah. This is the sort of rehtoric we can expect from the get the k c K right, Like they're very dedicated to Julan as a leader. Yes, yes, and you know, Robert and I have both been trus Java.
Speaker 3: I've heard a lot of no life without our leader's speeches and seeing a lot of a lot of those pert as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, Like you can't really go into a space you'll see other Like it's not just Ocherlan, right, You're going to see a wind I can, and you're going to see it's not like just a guy with a mustache. You're going to see women idolized in the movement too. But auscher Land to the greatest extent is like their dear leader figure. You can see his face all over Rashava and they're very dedicated to Ouscherlen's leadership. And like this change in structure does not change that, or this change it approach has not changed that. In fact, it underlines that, right, Like from the letter that Ouserlean wrote and he wrote letters to different parts of the Kurdish Freedom movement came this change, right, So it's still at the instruction of Ochelin, albeit with the consent of these delegates who went to this PKK congress right and voted. I've reached out to the k c K to ask for comment on like exactly what this means in terms of like to the casey k as I said, are in the mountains of southern Kurdistan now, and they have fought Turkey there for years. Right, We've covered that on this podcast. Northern Iraq, Southern Kerdistan, however you wish to call it like Turkey has been bombing They were bombing it last time I was there. I'm sure they were bombing it last time Robert was there. They've been bombing it ever since. And the villages that have really suffered as a result. Right, people have lost their children, they've lost their lands, they've often had their crops burned right by these bombs. So I'm interested to know that will the idea of the Kurdish Freedom Movement leaving the mountains there is I mean, it would be a hell of a site they've been in. They've been in those mountains for a long time. But I don't know what this means for the Kurdish Freedom Movement in southern Kurdistan. But I've asked. I don't know if this means that they will attempt like a straight up electoral strategy, right, or when Ogerland's asking for a new contract, right, like a new social contract that's how in Raja. But they literally have a social contract, right. The social contract is generally like a theoretical construct in most like neoliberal democracies, the idea that you and the state enter into an agreement whereby you give up some freedom and you lose some danger and the state give you some safety and it takes some of your freedom. In Raja, but the social contract is a real thing, right, Like, it's a thing that is formed in consultation with society. So when when we see APPO asking a bandon new contract, does that mean that they will engage like on the basis of a new Turkish constitution. I don't know. I don't think any of us have answers to these questions, and I imagine that they don't either. Write like they have decided to pursue this strategy of peace. They've decided that through their armed conflict, they were able to prove that they exist. And that's a phrase that specifically people have said to me in the Kurdish Freedom movement, like we had to pick up arms to pre that we exist, and now that there's no denying their existence, they can use different methods, right, Like they're put down their weapons and talk and established with Turkey how to coexist, having established that they exist through the armed struggle. So for them, this is like they're celebrating it, right. They'll draw the analogy very often to like Shinfein in Ireland, that's one that you're here pretty often, and that this is their Good Friday. Now. In the Good Friday Agreement, Britainer released people from prison. Number of very highly cherished, very highly respected members of the Curdish Freedom movement are still in prison. Of course, Oderlan being the most sort of widely loved and respected member of the Kurdish Freedom movement. I don't think we're seeing Osderlan come out of prison. I don't think there's a world in which Turkey would let that happen. But maybe we will see some other people released. Maybe we will see those people. I don't enter into electoral politics. Some of them have been in the struggle for fifty plus years, right, like fifty years living in the mountains and constantly being worried about being bombed. So it'll be fascinating to see how this this has been a long and bloody conflict. It has been going for longer than any of us have been alive. If the friends are happy, then I'm happy for them, right, And if peace is what they want and they can get away to continue, like General Bick says, like the people in love with freedom, Like if they can keep their freedom and they can do it without war, then I'm happy for them, because, like I've talked to a lot of Kurdish parents who have buried their children.
Speaker 3: God Almighty been to too many of the graveyards and northern Syria.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's little white graveyards with little children's faces. Like that will stay with me forever whatever stops that, you know, Yeah, Like if one of the things that kind of struck me when I was in Rajaba last time is that like death just falls from the night sky sometimes, yeah, and maybe maybe it's your baby, maybe it's you, maybe into your grandma, And it's a pretty horrible way to live. And going through that for your freedom is something very brave. And they have endured some of the worst conflict on the planet in the last few decades, right, They've fought some of the worst fucking people on the planet on one and if there is a way that the people of kurdisf Stan can enjoy peace, I want that for them because they've been at war for a very long time. Yep, hi, everyone, it's James, and which is adding this pick up to the episode. I was able to get some questions answered on behalf of the Kurdish Friedim movement, and I would just like to share those answers with you. So I asked if Aojulan was able to address the Congress. I'd previously been told he was. This is a response. Throughout the more than twenty six years that Kurdish People's Leader Abdula Ogelan has been held hostage in the prison island of him Rally, he has always found waves to convey his messages and perspectives to the Congress of the PKK that has taken place. So it was again regarding the twelfth Conggress of the PKK, which convened from May the fifth to May the seventh in the Free Mountains of Kurdistan. He was able to forward his ideas and analysis via the various delegations that have visited him throughout the last few months. I asked about Ojulan's call for a new social contract and they told me Curtish People's Leader ab Dela Ojuln's calls and the historic initiatives that he has taken do not imply that the Turkish State has adopted the same attitude or that the state has changed its approach. Kurdish People's leader abd Lor Aujulin is not simply hoping for a change of mentality in the state, but it's moving forward developing his project and thereby pulling the state along with him. What he is currently primarily concerned with is a redefining and reconstruction of the historical alliance of the Kurdish and Turkish people, which has been derailed during the past century. A long term democratic solution to the Kurdish question necessitates a recognition of the role of the Kurds in the establishment of development of the republic. Relations between the peoples must be brought back to the historical routes, so division cannot be realized Unilatterally, it lays in the nature of the way the struggle at the Kurdish People's lead ab de l Or and the PKK that when they want to achieve a solution to a specific issue, they initially create through struggle the necessary conditions and contexts for it. What Abdul ojuland does is to set the context and to encourage all related circles in Turkey to take upon their responsibility for our lasting peace. And then I wanted to ask about the people who were incarcerated and like the steps that they needed from the Turkish state in order for this peace process to continue.
Speaker 4: And this is what they said.
Speaker 1: A historic initiative was taken by Curdish People's Leader Abdula Aujilan and the PKK. First of all, there was the publication of the quote call for peace and democratic society and quote on February twenty sevenths. Then there was a declaration of the unilateral ceasefire on March first, and now there was the twelve PKK Congress May fifth to seventh was a decision to dissolve the PKK. All of those steps were unilateral steps that were not the result of negotiations with the state. So far, no official negotiation to take a place and oritenal verbal agreements have been reached. The steps taken were only a sign of goodwill and expression of seriousness about peace. Now it is upon the Turkish state to answer to this initiative and take the first practical legal steps. So far, all we have seen is empty rhetoric. For the process to actually unfold, Kurdish People's leader Abdullah Oujelan must first of all, regain his physical freedom and the conditions for him to work freely, healthily and securely must be guaranteed so that he can fulfill his role as a chief negotiator of the Kurdish people. Also, the constitutional reforms that grant the basic rights for the Kurds and recognize them as one of the primary constituents that a republic must take place.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: These are the first necessary steps. From there a peace process can unfold.
Speaker 4: If you're wondering about Rajava.
Speaker 1: Just to finish up, Muslumabdi made a statement Aslumbdi, leader of the Syrian Democratic Forces Right, sometimes called General muslium Hova Muslum depends who, depends what side of things you're on, I guess. Muslum Abdi made a statement congratulating the PKKA, saying he hoped to all parties supported the peace process. The sea it is still in clashes with remnants of the so called Islamic State and increasingly with Sunnis within the Syrian Revolution who are growing disheartened with what they see as al Shara's moderate turn right, the Damascus government being to live for some of these sunny groups, and so isis the Islamic State whatever you want to call it. Dash is using that as a chance to recruit people, and that is why we are seeing ongoing fighting. I literally I saw that they were They were burying one of their SDF fighters in Kamish Flow today. So unfortunately for the people of Fra Java, the killing and dying continues, which, yes, it's sad, yes, yeah, I want peace for my friends there and in Burma. Like yeah, despite the fact that Robert and I get paid to go to wars sometimes, it doesn't mean we don't want a friends to live in peace.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I would like there to not be any more to go to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be great.
Speaker 4: I'll find something else to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fuck it, I'll go run with the bulls again.
Speaker 4: I went White Rottter rafting yesterday. It was nice. I could just do more of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I'll will climb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, all right, everybody, We're done for the day. Go hopefully not live in a war zone. But if you do, hopefully that stops so peace.
Speaker 2: It could happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 4: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can now find sources for it could happen here listed directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.