Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Mick Shots, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com.
Speaker 4: And the official Dallas Cowboys at.
Speaker 2: It is eight o'clock on the West Coast. It's ten o'clock in Dallas, and that means it's time for another edition of mix Shots. I got to clear my throat. I went all ready for this. We're at the corner of Ventura and Vineyard on a beautiful day for football here in Oxnard, California, a second day in pads and it was crystal clear blue the other day. And it's still a beautiful day, even though the marine layer is rolled in chili.
Speaker 3: Sixty degrees, is it? What do you think?
Speaker 2: It's what they feel like.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's got to be ninety by now.
Speaker 3: The feel like it's sixty one. It's pretty consistent out here to feel like the temperature.
Speaker 2: Although that breeze, especially in the evenings. Yes, that breeze kicks up off the Pacific Ocean and it can get pretty chilly here.
Speaker 3: What came in pretty pretty strong last night, it did.
Speaker 2: You could see it come over the horizon. Marine layer and I saw it firsthand last night.
Speaker 5: You've been rocking the shorts and the teas in the morning though, so you're you're the troopers here. Mickey and I are bundled up and we'll you know, one practice starts in the suns out. That's when.
Speaker 3: Benefit of staying here. He would have to bring clothing.
Speaker 2: No, I do have close to change into later.
Speaker 3: I was going to say we can run.
Speaker 2: Because when it gets cold before our ten o'clock live shot Dallas time, that's when I'm all bundled up. Mickey. Are you in the habit of getting your morning workouts in here?
Speaker 3: I am like you have in the past. Since we start this at eight, I don't trust my morning bike ride, so I go into.
Speaker 2: At one time I go in the workout room and workout.
Speaker 3: But the other I had three nights, three days in a row on the bike. Yeah, went to the Ventura Harbor yesterday morning.
Speaker 2: I was there the other night. Man. You talk about a cold place. Yes Sunday night, it was chilly on the Ventura Harbor. What and we got this zamboni going again today?
Speaker 3: You know, if he was out there like cutting the grass or pounding it down or whatever, it's one thing. They're blowing the stuff off. Yeah it's not a leaf roller, it's not a tractor. But he's got the biggest leaf blower. And now they're haling their oars.
Speaker 5: Goodness gracious, I mean they've been out here in six in the morning.
Speaker 3: Well, those are your people, you know.
Speaker 5: Oh oh, I'll give some calls operation people over everything.
Speaker 3: Excuse me? Can we not want to build on Savannah what her role is?
Speaker 2: And you were out here how how much earlier before? The team got here a week ago Tuesday? Yes, So a week ago yesterday? So we are into our second week. You're into how many weeks out here?
Speaker 5: And now I got here on July fifteenth, so I was here about eight days before.
Speaker 2: Just put that in perspective. That was the day before the Baseball All Star Game in Arlington, which seems like two months ago.
Speaker 3: And I was still on vacation.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know. I feel like I just live here permanently.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: I've just adapted to it. But I love it.
Speaker 3: Taxes.
Speaker 2: But if we ever have a problem, like if the power goes out or anything like that, called sah exactly.
Speaker 5: I helped the whole set up and operation out here, and you know, it's been fun. I love doing it.
Speaker 3: So were you guys glad finally the pads came on yesterday?
Speaker 2: I was very happy, Yes, very happy.
Speaker 5: Any any observations right off the back, What.
Speaker 2: Was the headline coming out of yesterday? What do you think, Mickey? I will tell you what my headline was last night on CBS.
Speaker 3: Okay, I would say there was two things. One kind of minor because it was going to happen eventually. Was Trayvon Diggs coming off of pup. As we had pointed out here that that was just sort of they decided he just needed to keep rehabbing instead of screwing around on flag football practices. With those first four practice it was more meaningful him. It never had anything to do because I started hearing people, was he going to be ready for the start of the season.
Speaker 2: It's like, yes, it was, But it wasn't incidental that they activated him just in time for the first practice he had, right even though he's not out there yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even though he was, he didn't do any individual drills or team drills. Kind of worked on the side. They're gonna ramp them up, ease them in there's there's no rush. I thought the the big thing was before the day was over or the practice was over, that while Tyler Goeyton started with the second team, he ended up getting a whole lot of snaps with the first team offense. And I think they wanted to ease him in there. They didn't want him have the first team snap having up having to go against Michael Parsons. So the fact that they gradually got him more first team snaps, I thought was a step in the right direction.
Speaker 2: And that was by design. And that was my headline coming out of yesterday, Tyler Parsons, and that was what I was focused on. I had some videos that I tweeted out and got a lot of reaction on and Tyler. This is not about Michael Parsons at all, but that was a great day for Tyler guys.
Speaker 3: I thought he held his own. Yeah, it wasn't perfect, but he showed us.
Speaker 2: As you can see on some of the videos. Okay, yeah, they could have called a false start on one of them, and.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, but Micah jumped off side. Well, he was thinking he needed to get ahead.
Speaker 2: Start because he's no There was a little twitting on the one that they they on one of them that they didn't call it. There was a little twitch and uh, but they'll work that stuff out.
Speaker 3: So the thing I was concerned about him after watching some of his college video, what was his feet, Like how quickly can he move out there? And I thought he did a nice job. But I also noticed that his huge wingspan can compensate for if his feet aren't moving fast enough because he's got such a great reach. A lot of the videos that you put up, he was just running Mica to the outside and it's like, okay, if you want to go out to the outside and come in the back, find it and that then coming inside.
Speaker 2: And that's because of his length, right, I mean he could even just lean out there and push him far enough away to create a pocket for Dack.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I thought that was I mean, that's what eventually has to happen, right, In no way do they want Chuma Doogas starting, and so he's got to step up and become that starter they can rely on on the left side.
Speaker 5: But as you can see, like when these padded practices just keep going, you can see that comfort level and his confidence start to build. And since yesterday was the first one. We'll gradually see that over time, but you can see him looking comfortable yesterday in what he was doing, and I think that's really important as we continue this journey at training camp, and.
Speaker 3: Mike McCarthy was sticking with as well, it's good to have competition. It's like, Okay, that sounds great. There should be no competition and if there is, then then there's a robbery about your first round draft voice. Right.
Speaker 5: I do have another note on the offensive line that I kind of noticed yesterday. Brock Hoffman was working with the first team a little bit more. So I think that does, you know, show a little bit with Cooper Bebie maybe how they're feeling about him and his confidence. But brock Hoffman was, he was getting more reps with the first team and so that was the team center.
Speaker 2: I think it says. I think it says more about what the respect that they have for what brock Hoffman has done to earn the opportunity to be that first team guy. And when they really don't know enough about their third round draft pick yet. I mean, typically a third round draft pick is not going to step in and be a starter immediately. There's a reason that they're not first round draft pick. You know, a first round draft pick like Travis Frederick comes in here and he's a starter immediately. I mean Travis Frederick with him at center, and there's much experience that he had playing the position of center, although I think he did play some guard at Wisconsin too. They've just from day one said okay, but they also had the option of not only brock Hoffman, but they're working TJ. Bassett center too. Guys with a couple of years at least a couple of years professional experience, rather than the rookie coming in here.
Speaker 3: Well, what they need to find and it was sort of brock Kaufman's job last year was if you're going to have a backup center active, he's also got to play guard. He's got to do two things. And that's one thing that I've seen them use Bb at guard too. I think they're only concerned with him right now is just how consistent his snaps will be because he's not used to doing it. Right.
Speaker 2: As to his mom in Spackyard, Yeah, right, as.
Speaker 3: A center blocking, he's he's perfect. Right. When you mentioned Travis Frederick, when he came out, he was the what is it the Remington Award winner in college be the best center. Uh So he was.
Speaker 2: Established and Beyondish was also at that level as far as how much he had played at center. And yeah, he's a fourth round pick who came in here and started early in his career. But the reason he was a fourth round pick was because he had some injury issues. There were a red flag on him coming out right medically. Otherwise he was a second or third round prospect.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a good example and hate to be, you know, going back to the old days, but Mark Stefanowski was a third round pick. He was a guard coming out of college and they were going to convert him to center, and he didn't start at center until maybe the last two or three games of the season. They gave him time to grow and then said, okay, this is where we're going. We're not going anywhere this one in fifteen seasons, so let's get him some starts and get them.
Speaker 2: Of course, that was a different era because you had players that stuck with your team for twelve years because there wasn't the dawna free agency yet. The NFL free agency happened started up during Stepnowsky's career, but not at the beginning of his career.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tom Rafferty had played the center position.
Speaker 2: Like for fifteen years or something like that, and.
Speaker 5: They did it a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then that was his last year with the Cowboys, and then.
Speaker 2: That was Rafferty's last year. Stepnosky's first year.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: That what a great guy to learn from. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, and then step ends up being.
Speaker 2: And ideally that's what you want. You want to have a and that's one of the things that all the players have been talking about and coaches about this offensive line group. They can't remember having this kind of depth before on the offensive line, and some of it's not proven in terms of game experience, but they've been around a while. The Matt Willetsko's of the world is Josh Balls of the world and awesome Richards speaking of him, Yep, he's come on here.
Speaker 3: I noticed that when when they use Geiton as the second team i mean the first team tackle, Richards was getting some second team work at tackle, not at guard.
Speaker 2: Which is what he played at North Carolina.
Speaker 3: Right. Yeah, so that was and again, you need guys to be versatile. If you're going to be active on game day, you got to do a couple of things, especially on the offensive line. And I think and Nate Newton told me this. He was watching the offensive line work and he come by it and he goes, boy, Mike Solar, he's a really good coach. It really is there. Lucky to have them, because Savannah and I were watching the one on one drills and uh, it was pretty good stuff.
Speaker 2: And uh and and by the way, by design, in the one on one pass rush drills, the coaches did not match up Guidon against Parsons. In fact, to the extent that they wanted to make sure it didn't happen that Micah didn't jump in line.
Speaker 3: They put Giton in a group on the other field opposite from the split them up the three threes on three.
Speaker 2: Eventually it did happen. Yeah, you know, back on Tyler Geyton here. Uh and and to your point on Solari, there was one player that I noticed, uh. And this is what's so fun about being able to see all the practices and really see the inner workings of what's going on and uh, the relationship between coaches and players and so forth, how they're getting coached up. There was one play where Trey Lance was at quarterback and he wound up scrambling into the out to the left side to guide inside of the field and Solari after that play yelled. I couldn't tell exactly what he yelled at Tyler Guyton, but he yelled something at him, and it was what was on an extended play like that, He can't just quit, you know, Yeah, Okay, you're not done. You got to go find somebody to block or I believe that's what he was he was telling I would so anyway, it's just interesting to see all that. The other thing about Tyler Geyton that I've been impressed with is, uh, he has he has a maturity level about him. I think Mickey, you may have talked about it the other day here. You know, you could tell when he was drafted and just meeting his family, what a great family. And uh they were at the at the Star taking the tour.
Speaker 3: And athletic too.
Speaker 2: Yeah by the way, but yeah, his dad played. I can't remember.
Speaker 5: He was a basketball I think it was basketball.
Speaker 6: It was basketball, Yeah, But anyway, he was giddy when he and the whole family was taking a tour of the Star and I mean it was a dream come true to play for the team.
Speaker 2: You rooted for growing up. But there even in the short time since then, there's a level of maturity that I've seen from Tyler and the way he answers questions. Like his media session the other day, he was he was brief with a lot of his answers, but as we went along he became uh, the answers became longer or whatever. But there was not a cockiness about him. There was not. It was he knew his place. He's a rookie and he's got to earn his stripes here. But it was I thought by there were some eloquent things that he said in his interview that really impressed me that hey, this kid has a great head on his shoulders, and uh, this is a I came away said, this is a guy you want to root for. I mean, because it really means something to him.
Speaker 3: He was I think maybe the word is he was pretty much understated. He just was very brief with his answers and asked about goals and he basically said, uh, play with a lot of energy and grit. They asked him about getting those snaps with the first team in that mock the mock practice, and he basically said, I go where the coaches tell me. He wasn't like, you know, proclaiming I'm the first team left tackle, right, So yeah, I thought, you're right and that and that's what you need. And he's a little bit older, and he's like twenty Is he twenty three?
Speaker 2: He I wrote it down the other day. No, he's not. He's twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Oh excuse me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, which is which you would think he would be older than that. He can't. He must have graduated high school early. I mean not early in years, but he had as a seventeen year old, because he's he was at TCU for two years before he transferred Oklahoma for two years.
Speaker 3: So he hadn't played a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: But he did go to college for four years. Yeah, so he was a seventeen year old graduate of high school in Manor, Texas.
Speaker 3: Gosh, I think I was already eighteen going on nineteen.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, we're just getting started here. It was the Tyler Geiton Show yesterday at practice. What can we expect today? On the second day in pads and Savannahs sightings around training camp, we put the pressure on her when we come back here on mix shots.
Speaker 3: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 7: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 3: What are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Miller Lite tastes great. Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 7: It says less filling.
Speaker 2: That's not what my script says. Hell mindset.
Speaker 1: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Miller Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm ashine legal guy, Celebrate responsibily.
Speaker 4: Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands be point two grams carbs for twelve ounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 2: Fall is here, and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it as you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Lay Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kierroo's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamolea made with real hals avocados, will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kiro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 8: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 2: Snapper the press scout who looks right, it's not there. He escaped left.
Speaker 3: He'll love full a first down.
Speaker 9: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 2: Pres Scout's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 2: Tom Shuts.
Speaker 5: The official twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine Training Camp Preview is now available. This year's edition feature scouting reports, position analysis, a pull out schedule poster, and articles from your favorite Cowboys writers. Get your Training Camp Preview today at your local pro shop or Dallascowboys dot com. Slash Star and we have one here, sty. We love this. It's a great magazine.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 5: It is has all the details of all the guys you want to keep following throughout training camp.
Speaker 3: And that first story is just wonderful.
Speaker 5: We know, Mickey, we.
Speaker 2: Know the feature story.
Speaker 5: All right, guys, are we doing Savannah Siding? Okay, you know what We're going to dive into. John Stevens. I saw him the other day. He was out here pretty late, probably seven seven point thirty, just kind of doing some some work on the field by himself, had his headphones in, just kind of getting comfortable on the field and was just doing a few movements based off of, you know, his injury and how he was rehabbing this season. He's a guy that everyone should be kind of keeping an eye on right now. His rehab went very well and he's looking very healthy. But to see him out here just kind of grounding himself a little bit. And then the way he's kind of been working so far in training camp. I really like his progress right now. What do you guys kind of think about that?
Speaker 3: And we have to preface that with he was doing that on his own, okay, by himself. It didn't count against the leven no.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And by the way, if if any of you aren't familiar with it, it's eleven hour work days where the coaches could work with the players and to the point that they will make announcements at a certain time. They've got it worked out through through the day, a lot of it. Okay, these are the hours that the coaches are working. At the end of practice, they will make an announcement, all coaches off the field, all coaches off the field.
Speaker 3: So and speaking of the tight ends, is that the new media guy, Yes, it is one.
Speaker 5: We need copy of that one.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've been waiting for its arrival. There. They got to get the spiral one.
Speaker 5: Where did we get one?
Speaker 3: A headset? Well, were you going to say, vickey, I was going to say, talking about the tight ends, they got too many tight ends. Somebody is going to be playing for another team. I count five and I don't know you know, but but some of them onto the practice squad.
Speaker 2: Jake Ferguson counts seven, counts, he counts two. He counts because he counts the fullbacks.
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm talking about the amounts eyes that can actually make the team.
Speaker 2: Not not the Jake fergus but Jake Ferguson the other day he said, uh, he was asked about the the tight end depth right, and he said he loves it. He said that he thinks all seven of them can can make another team in the well. But I think what he's doing because what you see, what you see Hunter Lipke is out there doing some tight end things even though he is a running back slash fullback. Uh and which just adds to his versatility if he can, if he can do some of the sub package type tight end type stuff, that can make him active on.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know about Princeton Fan and Alec Holler.
Speaker 2: But Princeton Fan is another one who has more of a full back type body because he's shorter, but does tight end is working as a tight end.
Speaker 3: So look at it. You got Jake Ferguson, you got Luke Schoonmaker, you got John Stevens, you got Peyton Hendershot, and you got this new guy, Revin spahn Ford who keeps showing up. That's five guys to me that can readily make this team. And I don't know if if guys like that on the bottom end of that five play well in preseason games, you're not going to sneak them onto the practice for well.
Speaker 2: And they literally do have seven tight ends on the roster, not even including Hunter Lipke. He gets work as a tight end at times because they've got a free agent. Alc Haller is another one. So I mean, I think you rattled off six of them in the seventh as Alec Haller.
Speaker 5: I think this is a group that we need to look a little bit more at. And I've talked about this the first show that we did as far as a battle. Obviously, Jake Ferguson big leader as far as this group goes, but I'm kind of keeping an eye also on Luke Schoonmaker and Peyton Hendershot both coming off of some injuries and just you know, trying to make that step up to see who's kind of going to get more reps as far as the tight ends go, and I'm really looking at Luke schoon Maker in that area. Peyton Hendershot a little bit more on the back runner based on his injuries in previous seasons. You know, he's been a little bit more and he.
Speaker 3: Missed some time off that yeah, off season, but exactly, and a lot of this is not about catching the ball. You got a block and I thought, you know, over the last couple of years, the Cowboys deficiency going two tight end was having reliable blockers out there.
Speaker 2: One way or another, there's going to be four tight ends on this team.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, one.
Speaker 2: Way or another. Now, at the final cutdown day, they may cut where you only have three, but there's enough depth there where they will or there will be injuries that occur or whatever, but they will be using four tight ends throughout the season just because that's and most teams are like that. There are some teams that have three tight ends, but in the NFL, it's a a lot of time for I'd say at least half the league it's a four tight end roster. And we saw it was Sean McEwan last year where he was with the Cowboys practice squad and get called up whatever for a time, got picked up by an their team, then comes back to the Cowboys and now I think he's with Detroit. But but anyway, it's a it's a it's a position. Here's another thing about tighty end. Think about the teams that went deep in the playoffs last year and the tight end position. All right, Kansas City obviously with Travis Kelcey. You got San Francisco with George Kittle, you got Detroit and their young tight end Sam Laporta, you go. You got Baltimore's with Mark Andrews at tight end. The tight end position, well, Dalton Schultz at Houston. I mean, they didn't make a deep run, but right, the tight end position is one that and I think the Cowboys feel very good about their tight end position here.
Speaker 3: At the When they didn't rec Dalton Schultz and he goes to Houston, there was a lot of hand ringing going on outside, like, oh, what are they going to do at Bright Then right, and then Jake Ferguson makes that huge leap from his rookie year to last year, showing that he's as good, if not better tight end than Dalton Schultz, so you know, if he takes another step, I mean, if I remember correctly, he had the second most catches on the team last year, right, it was seventy seventy something.
Speaker 5: We've also talked about that attitude as far as the tight end position goes, and you can see that attitude that Jake Ferguson has and just the way he plays and even last season there were some games where you know he's sticking up for his team and he's doing things hurdling. You know, he just has that drive in him and that's very necessary in this tight end position as well. He just has that attitude that he can carry and that's what we love to see.
Speaker 3: Seventy one catches second on the team, seven hundred and sixty one yards second on the team, and five touchdowns which was third behind Ceed Lambs twelve and Brandon.
Speaker 2: Cook's eight, which doesn't count the three touchdowns he scored in a playoff game, that's right, which gets you up to eight.
Speaker 3: So yeah, the tight end position. I told LNDA Wells, I said, you got too many tight ends. He goes never.
Speaker 2: That's a good sighting. I like that sighting. And by the way schoonmaker. This is a big year for him from going first year to site a year. But he's more of the inline blocker. But can what's to show that he can do some things in the passing game as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know how much they like going two tight end, so they need they need that, They need two guys that are decent blockers, because when you put two tight ends out there, a lot of times you're saying, hey, we're going to run the ball. But it's not all about catching that. Blocking is important.
Speaker 2: All right. When we continue, let's go with another Savannah siding. You can set us up for the next segment as well. Savannah, I like you did such a good job that time. Let's do it again. Got it, Let's go when we come back here on mix shots in just a moment.
Speaker 8: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 3: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 7: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lte is brewed to be less feeling. What are you doing here, Miller Lyte taste great.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 7: It says less filling.
Speaker 2: That's not what my script says. Hell mindset.
Speaker 1: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Never lighters in fact, less filling and taste great. I'm me shine.
Speaker 4: Legal guy, Celebrate responsibly. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands, three point two Graham's Carvers for twelve ounces fewer cows and cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 2: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kierro's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamoli made with real hass avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kiro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And they snapped the pressed out. Who looks right, it's not there. He escapes laft He'll run full.
Speaker 9: A first down, just like football when it comes to it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 2: Press Scott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Get started at blockchain dot Com to mix shots.
Speaker 5: Dallas Cowboys Youth football and Dance Camps presented by Invisiligne are back athletes of all skill levels, ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Campers have the chance to learn technical skills and lessons on teamwork from former NFL players and the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. Two or three day camps are available now. Visit dallascowboys dot com slash camps to learn more and register. Today, You guys, I got up very early again this morning to do my little run. Did some stuff on the field here, but on.
Speaker 3: My way wait, what's very early?
Speaker 5: I got up at five forty five. Oh well, you said you didn't want to do your bike ride this morning, but you wanted to stay around here. I had to do the same thing.
Speaker 3: I got to. But well, that's only I got up at six fifteen. That's that's not that early.
Speaker 5: See, I got to get myself going into the morning, get some coffee afterwards. But on my way out here to do some jogging, I saw Mozzy Smith as I was passing the weight room. He was in there already working out in the morning. So I love seeing that. Honestly, I know that they're McCarthy said that they're close to having him back at the weight that they want. That's something he's mentioned several times in press conferences the last few days. But you know, it does start in the weight room. And what they're doing with them exactly.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and before Mickey chimes in on that, I'll add to that. Okay, So you saw him into the weight room early in the morning. I didn't see this, but my photographer at CBS eleven, Bill Ellis, told me that, aside from the specialist who come on the practice field early, Bill was in position yesterday first day in pads to get video of all the players coming on the field.
Speaker 3: Of course you need that. That's right, you know, it's.
Speaker 2: The iconic shot in Zach.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: The reason why we were getting it mainly was because Zach Martin said the other day it's weird for him to have a training camp practice and not walk on the field alongside big number seventy seven Tyron Smith. So he, by the way, Zack Martin walked onto the field by his lonesome. Used to remember when Travis was here, you'd have the big three that would all walk on the field together.
Speaker 5: Real quick. Speaking of Travis, can we just mention how he came to practice the other day? We have to say that it was that towards the end of practice he stopped by said height to the team, that was cool.
Speaker 2: He he's got a place that he's living out here or something. I think living now, maybe not living out here, but he's where he's staying.
Speaker 3: He said, yeah, and he said he just came out he wanted to see. I said, you can't stay away. He's uh, he's a businessman now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well he'll be a very good business How many degrees did he have from Wisconsin? All these engineering.
Speaker 3: Business that he already sold and he's starting another.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe it. Yeah, he's going to be successful in whatever he does. All right, But who is the first cowboy outside of the specialist, the kickers and long snapper. Who is the first Dallas cowboy on the field. Yesterday we were just talking about him.
Speaker 5: Let's go.
Speaker 2: That's great, continue Mickey on. Yeah.
Speaker 3: By the way, so he's immediately working with the first team defensive front and I thought he I thought he had a nice day. I saw one play where he got double teamed, and I I believe they were against the first team offensive line. He held his ground on the double team and then slid off and made the tackle to his well tackle, he got in the way of the running back. And it's like, that's what they need right there. They don't need him penetrating, trying to make tackles behind the line of scrimmage. Just needs to hold things up and you know, if he gets his weight to where he said three ten, three point fifteen, Yeah, I think he can be a player, and he has to be. They don't have any depth there to speak of. So, like Michael Parson said, when they asked him, what do you think he can be? And he goes, not what he can be, it's what he has to be. And I think that's the bottom line on him this year. The birds are upset up there. Huh.
Speaker 2: All right, here's a question for you. That was a good Savannah sidding again. I like that.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 2: What Dallas cowboy has the most followers on social media?
Speaker 5: I went ahead and said, ceedee lamb.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, Michael Parsons, how about Dak Prescott?
Speaker 5: Well, Bill, you'll learn something new every day. That was a good It's not the answer, No, it's.
Speaker 3: Not who by the way, just turned thirty one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty ninth. All right. The player with the most followers on social media is a guy who plays in the defensive backfield and he's not named Trayvon. He wears number thirty one. His name is Josh Butler. Butler, Josh Butler. Why Josh Butler TV on TikTok. Really, He's from West Mosquite High School in the Dallas Fort Worth area. He went to Michigan State. He went to Michigan State. He's got two dogs named Roxy and to Me, who are featured heavily on TikTok. Josh, guess how many followers Josh Butler has on TikTok.
Speaker 5: I'm going to go with like five million, five million.
Speaker 2: She's a TikToker.
Speaker 5: I'm going to go with five million numbers, am I cloth?
Speaker 2: Well, relatively you went high though a million, it's less than five million.
Speaker 3: Give her take a million?
Speaker 2: Yeah, three point three million followers TikTok.
Speaker 5: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Because of his dogs.
Speaker 2: Well, he just he posts. He's a great story. I interviewed him yesterday and sat down with him and when he was at Michigan State. I mean, it's a tragic story. He lost his father. He had a heart attack while he was well. Josh was in school at Michigan State and his mom had stage four breast cancer. She passed away, I believe during his senior year at Michigan State. And so there's a viral. On senior day, he went. You know, typically you have your parents to walk on the field with you on senior Day and honoring all the seniors. Well, he had his two dogs, rock Say and Remy, who went on the field with him. But so then so he graduated in twenty nineteen, okay, and didn't really catch on with anybody during that season that coming out of college. So then Covid hits Okay, he's got a master's degree from Michigan State. It's an entertainment I can't remember the specific name of it, but it's a television entertainment type degree, a master's degree. And so he went to LA and started his career, but at the same time was you know, working on his honing his craft as a football player too. Finally got an opportunity last year twenty twenty three. Okay, this is four years after graduating from college with the USFL Michigan Panthers, and had a really good season with the Michigan Panthers. And so last year, about this time last year, July twenty fifth of last year, Cowboys signed him. And you remember him from the preseason last year. He's wearing number forty last year in the preseason games, and it was on the practice squad all year and now here he is going into the second season with the Cowboys and made an interception on the first or second day of camp out here on the sideline right behind us over here, and anyway, really cool, number thirty one.
Speaker 5: That's an interesting one.
Speaker 3: And you know what, he's got a chance to make this team. Yeah, because they've got to find.
Speaker 2: Good size, six foot eighty five. He ran a four to three to two. And I don't know if this is true or not, but it says I saw somewhere his ten yards split the first ten the first ten yards of forty at his pro day one point three six. There is no way that's true. I asked him about it, and he said, he said he was so when he trained, he trained with his dogs.
Speaker 5: He trained his dogs roxy.
Speaker 2: And what a guy. But there, I still I'm not buying that one. Right. The lowest I've ever heard is one four five.
Speaker 5: But never shaking his hands here, do you believe it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: The producer Supreme has now followed him on TikTok Josh Butler's Dogs after I highly doubt that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the most important thing is after all this, he's got a chance to be the fourth corner the way he's performed, not only here, but during the off season workouts, the ot as in mini camp when uh, because you usually those guys don't worry about their numbers until you know it becomes preseason game type. But I know he's number thirty one, and I've seen him make plays, and I think he's got a real chance because right now they're where they're they're playing it. They're relying on Naseean Wright as the fourth corner or the third corner without Trayvon Diggs out there, right, I think this guy has got a shot. And he made leap Eric Scott, who they drafted in the first pick in the sixth round last year. So they need depth at the cornerback spot.
Speaker 2: How about shout out to the scouting.
Speaker 3: Staff, Yeah, finding the guy.
Speaker 2: Now he did go to USFL and shout out to Daryl Johnston. And and we've already seen on this team with Camante Turpin and Brandon Aubrey, they've become Pro bowlers coming out of the USFL. And what a great story it would be if Josh Butler, he was able to establish himself and the NFL.
Speaker 3: Which, by the way, speaking of Brandon Aubrey, we got to see him kick for the first time in training camp. I don't know if that was his first kicking session or not, but he went seven of eight between thirty three and forty one yards, So he had a good day kicking in and they always kick into this blessed wind. That just ridiculous. He had a second attempt at the end on a thirty three yarder and it kind of faded to the right, but other than that, he was near perfect, which is good to see because they were going to back off with him in the offseason since he kicked so much last year a USFL season and then eighteen games in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Well, the other part of it is now with the they're going to have to work. They're working more on their kickoffs because of the new kickoff rule and so, and he's involved in that as well. So I'm a little surprised, and even yesterday just watching Brian Anger punt, you know during the special teams drills, it's a little surprising you don't have an extra kicker or punter in camp or a dual guy who can take some of his hat off just just to be able to conduct practice. Now you can use a jugs.
Speaker 3: Machine's going to say, that's what the but and they use that for the punts a lot.
Speaker 5: Do you have a side note actually on some of the punt returners. We actually were looking yesterday Mickey and I, Douce, Fawn, Cavante, Turpin, but also Tyrone. Billy Johnson was out there returning some punts.
Speaker 3: Which is that's going to be the next big Yeah, Billy t building.
Speaker 5: Been great at camp so far.
Speaker 3: Great, he's showing up. Check this out. He was undrafted in twenty nineteen. He started it.
Speaker 2: Well, here's another one. Here's another one. Jsh Butler was twenty nineteen. These are older guys. He had twenty seven year old guys.
Speaker 3: And he had gone to LSU for a year, transferred to Oklahoma State, went undrafted. Houston signed him as an an undrafted free agent. Get this. He's been with nine different teams, mostly practice squad and he's been with Houston three times. Initially again they picked him up later in a practice squad, and then they picked him up again later than that and had him active on the fifty three man roster for a month. So he's been around, he's he's older. But number thirteen. I know he's got number thirteen and he makes catches every day and he does something to catch your eyes.
Speaker 2: So if he makes the TV will not continue to have number thirteen. No, number thirteen.
Speaker 3: He has that, but something else will open up, right because somebody will get cut. So but that interesting, interesting story.
Speaker 2: Here's the other thing on that, And with a guy like Josh Butler, how big has the expansion of the practice squad and the way they have lacked the rules on the practice squad where veterans can be on practice squads. How great has that been for the players in this league? And it's great for the owners too from a standpoint that you can actually have guys available. There's no good things that came out of COVID, but that is one thing that has been I think it is great for the Players Association as far as these guys. Now you're sticking with a team and you get an opportunity to develop your skills and eventually you know you'll get your opportunity to be on a fifty three man roster.
Speaker 3: Maybe because the Cowboys picked them up last year and put them on the practice squad, and if I remember correctly, the practice squad went from eight to twelve. Now it's sixteen, right with no regulation on and then the other that guy.
Speaker 5: And you have a seventeenth spot for your international guy as well.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: And I named Denzel Dason in that UH and the Savannah Unearthed.
Speaker 2: And these guys actually get an opportunity to play in games or be on a game day roster because of the rules that they can pull them up for up to three games, and because the injured reserve rules changed as well to where you know, it wasn't that long ago. You put a guy on injured reserve and he's out for the year. You can only bring one guy back. But now they've got new rules on that here in the last few years since COVID, basically that you can bring him back after four weeks.
Speaker 3: I mean, it just makes common sense.
Speaker 2: Why why was how much money are the owners wasting? Yes, with the old rule, now, the reason they had that in place was stashing players whatever. But there's enough players to go around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And if you look at it, when you look at the offensive line, there's not enough players to go around. Not enough talented players, and it's hard to develop those guys because they don't get to practice in pads. And so yeah, make more guys available and have a bigger talent pool than having a restrictive one like they used to have.
Speaker 5: But it is great seeing some of these guys you know, come in from the USFL or just other teams that have bounced around a lot on different practice squads. It's great seeing them at camp right now showcase those skills and you're getting those those pickups. As far as storylines go, there there are some guys putting in the work and getting noticed right now, and that's really exciting for these guys. They have some chances here.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna leave you with one thing you need can chew on?
Speaker 2: I saw.
Speaker 3: Dan Orlovsky. Is that the guy's name?
Speaker 9: Is?
Speaker 5: He?
Speaker 3: On ESPN, the.
Speaker 2: NFL network whatever they would CPN he.
Speaker 3: Had his top five NFC quarterbacks. Oh oh, they are in order, Matthew Stafford, Well, okay, top five and NFC NFC quarterbacks you want to guess, No, you.
Speaker 2: Give it to us because we're getting a rap from producer Suprio. Nate has arrived and he wants.
Speaker 5: On okay, Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 3: Matthew Stafford, Jordan Love Love, Rock Purty Kirk Cousins, and Jarrett Goff. And the immediate reaction from one of the guys on the panel goes, where the hell is Dak Prescott? And his answer was, well, who would you put him over? Wow? Seriously Wow. He's always been not a Dak Prescott fan. So anyway, I thought I'd just.
Speaker 5: Leave you well, I will leave you guys with this today for practice. It is our Hero's Day, so we will have our military heroes out here and keep an eye out for a potential flyover.
Speaker 3: Oh how about that?
Speaker 2: All right? Heroes Appreciation Day. And by the way, the cars were lined up this morning outside of the arketst and there were more than what there were yesterday lined up, so maybe they are aware.
Speaker 3: That we have to appreciation day, we have to give way to our hero right nor ready to go?
Speaker 2: All right? That does it for mix shots. And by the way, next week, after they get rid of me, Nate Newton will be sitting in my chair here on mix shots and so that'll be something really look forward to. All right, enjoy your Wednesday. We will enjoy our second padded practice at training camp, and we'll talk to you again on Friday, ten am Dallas time.