Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my.
Speaker 3: Name is Noah. They call me Ben.
Speaker 4: We're joined as always with our super producer Dylan the Tennessee pal Fagan. Most importantly, you are you. You are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. If you're listening to Strange News the evening it publishes, folks, Welcome to Monday, October twenty seventh. It is Halloween week. It is the most wonderful time of the year. And also we are recording live together in person.
Speaker 3: Can we get a booth still a boom boom boom? Yeah, boom times. We love it. It's our favorite time of the year. I think it's a lot of y'all's as well. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The Monster Mash. Sorry, I've kind of sleeped a private so the Monster Mash that's just really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That way is a song about wait, so it's a song.
Speaker 4: About a dance. A dance, Yes, yeah, very met It's like the hokey pokey almost but more thematic. Yeah, yeah, it's like boom we we. This is not only our first time recording together post adventures on the High Seas, but this is also our first time really getting to catch up before we get into strange news.
Speaker 2: Now should we do that?
Speaker 4: You want to catch up, you guys please?
Speaker 3: When the last time we caught up, well, you know, we spent some time together, some quality time, if I do say so, myself on a boat. Remember that moment on the other boat when we played the song We're on a boat we did. Yes, that was a real moment as well, and.
Speaker 2: It was delightful, so fantastic.
Speaker 4: Thank you Charlie, Thank you, Captain Charlie. We're also also thank you to Tennessee for coming along with us and putting up with our salute to you, sir, putting up with our shenanigans.
Speaker 3: Than to all our fellow sailors and the sailors we're sailors now came to our live show about for me to trangle. Yeah, believe we're going to be beaming out into podcast land before.
Speaker 4: Long, right, Yes, absolutely true.
Speaker 2: We met several folks who actually listen and hang out with us. In this world. But we hung out with them for reals and it was awesome.
Speaker 3: It was wonderful.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We we started keeping lists of people to thank. Do you want to do it at the end of the show, or do you want to do it now?
Speaker 2: Let's do it at the end. You got to let do it all the way through to find out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Captain de Vaughn, who was the guy who took us on the boat from the.
Speaker 3: Boat, Oh yeah, and then we also met the actual effects captain of the Valiant Lady shout out Demir, shout out Deputy Captain Maran, and accept my friend request.
Speaker 4: You guys, so let's get to it right because they're so we're so used to doing strange news every week. We didn't want to leave you without a dope beat this step two. But we had a run of classics right as we were as we were traversing in our maritime adventures, and a lot of stuff happened before we came back to check in with our fellow conspiracy realists about all the news strange and otherwise maybe we dip our toes in with this one. Guys. You know that butt breathing might soon be a medical treatment.
Speaker 3: Finally, this is a big one funeral for me. It's clearly we'll always top off the list of important news stories anything to do with.
Speaker 2: But may I be the first to say, what the hell are you talking about? Cox?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like our old butt light ad. The beer is so good you could drink it with your mouth.
Speaker 3: I love that we gave it to him for free. I haven't heard him trying it out quite.
Speaker 4: Yet, but there's it's probably a different market from us.
Speaker 2: Is it like the South Park eating with your butt thing?
Speaker 4: Similar?
Speaker 3: Is it like butt chucking?
Speaker 4: Is it like boofyeh? Similar to shout out scotus. So it turns out that last year a group of researchers won the twenty twenty four Ignoble Prize in Physiology for discovering that, yes, many mammals are capable of breathing through their atus.
Speaker 3: Give us a list, Yeah, is it?
Speaker 4: We do so, TVG, TVD. We wanted to shout this out. The Ignoble Prize, as we all know, is kind of like the Raspberries for science or the Razzies.
Speaker 3: Honestly, unfair, mean spirited, mean spirited. I think this is important science that we're talking about here's today, I'm not worthy of any kind of ignomy ignominy. Yeah, okay, thank you.
Speaker 4: I think we both got close to it.
Speaker 3: I can't remember.
Speaker 4: That's a that's a word that's tough to pronounce, similar to that word for magic press digitate, press, the digitation press the digitation.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, uh, this team, Just to keep it short, this team went on after their Ignoble prize, they conducted a new study and said, hey, maybe we can adapt this butt breathing method to treat people with blocked airways or clogged lungs. So shame on all of us who had some pretty awesome jokes about butt breathing. Cool.
Speaker 3: They did not have to have the pen shoved through or you know what I mean, you know the movie see it in those medical drama shows all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the improvised tracheotomy.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: In this case, we're talking about intra anally administered oxygen gas or liquid as an acronym.
Speaker 3: Match one it is.
Speaker 4: You got it, you got.
Speaker 3: Let's move on.
Speaker 4: Okay, I thought you were going.
Speaker 5: For Kennedy accident there, real quick. Uh So, if you want to learn more about this.
Speaker 4: Go to ours Technica. Excellent article by a journalist we've mentioned in the past, Jennifer Olette, but breathing may soon be a real medical treatment. We're gonna pause for a word from our sponsors, and then we'll get into even stranger news, and don't worry, we'll tell you about it with our mouths.
Speaker 3: And we return and Ben, you totally nailed it. The monster mash is, in fact the dance one cannot do a song. But I have heard people getting perplexed about this. This concept of the monster mash is about a song, but it is not itself the song. But it is neither of those things. It is in fact a dance because one cannot do a song. Never mention it Halloween.
Speaker 2: It's just the monsters.
Speaker 4: It's just the monsters, and the mashing monster is smashy.
Speaker 3: No, that's very different.
Speaker 2: I think we've mentioned this before on the show, But if you're not aware of it, and you're not a child, go ahead and search for Comedy Bang Bang Monster Mash and find all of the versions of the monster mash that they have created for that show on their very special Halloween episode.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've heard of one, so I'm looking forward to that. And also shout out to where Wolf bermtzvah spooky scary boys becoming men and men becoming wolves. Oh yeah, Tracy Jordan from thirty Rock, one of the best monster mash parodies of what are the best sitcoms of all time? Per minute ratio is than anything else. It's so dense.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tina Fey, Thank you Tina Fey.
Speaker 4: And Louren Michaels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sure, and Alec mister Baldwin, you know, I just finished Destroiter's amazing. What a delight telling you guys, literally delighted.
Speaker 3: It's such a good hang. Obviously huge Tim Robinson fan, I think you should leave Stan. That one kind of got buried for a minute. And now Netflix has been pushing it out and I binged it in like two days. Your nailed. It's delightful. Yes, the report is clear.
Speaker 2: I'm only six episodes in.
Speaker 4: Oh man, guess what You're in for a great ride.
Speaker 3: I bring that up because produced executive produced by Lauren Michael.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 3: He knows how to pick him and he seems to give chances even to folks who are a little bit off the beaten track, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Got kicked off SNL after like one season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, I mean, he's the reason the kids in the Hall made it to the stage. He's the producer of brain Candy, So dude knows how to appeal to the masses and also to the you know, the weirdos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and speaking speaking of, let's see if this segue works. Okay, so we'll see.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: So we all know that Tim Robinson has his newest project out with his co career is at King And I watched episode one The Chair Company, rich is Uh what'd you think? What'd you think?
Speaker 3: Though? I'm intrigued. It is very much red meat for the type of consumers of media that we are. Yeah, and it's exactly the kind of thing that he should be doing, sort of like a super super super dark satirical look at like the corporate world and like all in the intrigue and sort of there seems to be an illuminatis conspiracy at the heart of the whole thing, right, but I've only seen the one, so I'm super into it.
Speaker 4: You're gonna share conspiracy, a chair conspiracy, That's what the whole thing's about. There are only two episodes out as we're recording today on October twenty second. Vanila nailed it. We're super into it. Chairs have been on our minds. And there's a story you found that, Matt, I don't know if you were aware of this. I know nothing about so. I love a good heist. We love a heist, we love we all love a good heist. And apparently there's a heist involving.
Speaker 3: Sure, this seems a little more, a little less like a heist than that it was done in one fell swoop and more like a death by a thousand chair situations. Oh yeah, you know, just just kind of picking them out here and there from cafes that aren't locking them down. You gotta lock down your chairs. Cafes got lock down your chairs. There is apparently something of a chair thieving syndicate over in Spain that got busted by Spanish police, suspected, let's say, until proven, guilty of stealing over eleven hundred chairs from various beistros and cafes. You know, the culture over there, lots of lovely little you know.
Speaker 4: Patio cafe exactly street side, and they all get locked up.
Speaker 3: They usually get locked up with chains. We're talking plastic chairs, we're talking metal chairs. The occasional wood chair you could saw through the wood, but then you wouldn't have yourself a functioning chair, would you? Would you? De Spain's National Police said earlier this week that they had arrested seven people suspected of stealing more than eleven hundred chairs from various outdoor seating areas at restaurants and bars across Madrid and in the nearby Tri State area. Kind of situations.
Speaker 4: My friend, we sit like kings.
Speaker 2: I guess is this related to the anti tourism movement.
Speaker 3: That's funny, because where the tourist is gonna sit, if there's no chairs, maybe they'll just.
Speaker 7: Golm wants don't like to do?
Speaker 3: Is stand? Well, I'm serious.
Speaker 2: I recall from my brief time in several parts of Spain that those cafes and the outdoor seeing areas were one of the highlights of just being in the area, being you enjoy where you are and having.
Speaker 3: Europe as well, having a nice espresso, having a little prosecco, other.
Speaker 4: Drinks that end with a real tapas, which means they come free with the water, olive warm, olive. Larry David's coming, It's supposed to be free.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it's funny about olives. Also, speaking of David, what do you do with the pit? You know? What do you have a garbage plate? You know it's disgusting.
Speaker 4: So wait, could I ask quick quick questions?
Speaker 3: You must and I wish you would.
Speaker 4: Okay, great? Uh, then into the breach once again, friends, Uh, what do you do with eleven hundred chairs?
Speaker 3: Well, you flip them, buddy, You find yourself a chair fence, start a chair fan chair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you start a chair compan full.
Speaker 3: Circle now, I mean they were apparently selling them around Spain and also in Morocco and Romania. So if you're looking for a good deal on a hot chair, yeah, that's apparently the Spotify.
Speaker 4: I'm just thinking of the transit costs.
Speaker 3: It seems like maybe it's one of those things where it's either idiotic or is a genius. Rights Like, nobody has thought of this. But to your point, to both of y'all's points, they are typically after hours lock the f down right with heavy chains and stuff. So they really have to find these crimes of opportunity case in the joints for folks that aren't locking their chairs down.
Speaker 4: And then what do you say on your first date? Oh, my job, I sell loose chairs in Romania. Yeah, well you probably have to have a cover story. I would imagine I drive to roman Off exactly. I'm in I'm in suitable import exports.
Speaker 3: And let's see. The estimated value of said stolen shares was around sixty thousand euros or sixty nine thousand US dollars. That's according to police. Let's see, there's a piece on ABC News that is actually mainly a reprint of the Associated Press article about it, and they say that it was a group of six men and women who worked tonight. I'm quoting from the piece here to pilfer the chairs from eighteen different establishments in Madrid and Talavera de la Ryana, which is a smaller city to the southwest of the capital city. And this was between August and September of this year. They face charges of theft and belonging to a criminal organization. They are now being classified as something of a you know, a group of organized criminals, something of a syndicate.
Speaker 6: They're chairman of organized tribe, one would hope, keyboard chairman of the hewn down to make delightful dovetail joints on bespoken chairs.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about an Iran dak not a fan? I'm uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: I'm okay with the vibe, I'm not okay with the commitment of their being there for a long time.
Speaker 3: I like the really large ones you'll see in the North Georgia Mountains.
Speaker 2: Can somebody explain to me what a.
Speaker 3: Wooden share that is perma reclined at an angle that I don't really it is super deep, yeah, so you can't adjust it.
Speaker 4: Some of the smaller ones.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's true in general, though, they sort of have a set form, right they do.
Speaker 4: They do, and it's kind of like a papa song. Like at first you're you're thinking, this is an interesting experience for my button, my posture, and then time goes on and you're like, I kind of want a regular chair.
Speaker 3: Well, will help you out with that, there you will.
Speaker 4: We just have to go to Romania.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, what the hell is a papasan Papaistan's like a bean bag, right kind.
Speaker 7: Of, It's like it's the circular, Yes, it's it's a cupped, a cupped, padded thing that is seated in sort of like a futon that's seated in a metal frames.
Speaker 2: Your home metals.
Speaker 3: It's metal or bamboo, well usually metal legs and then a bamboo baskets, and then the thing sort of creates a formatting factor.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you guys.
Speaker 3: They're not great, not super comfortable. They look and now they're kind of coming back because they're a bit like retro. They're like given retro vibes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's like it would belong in a bedroom that had a waterbed.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, are coming back? I hope so did they leave? I think they maybe just got a little more niche. You know, you have you seen Licorice Pizza Paul Thomas Anderson. Maybe there's a great waterbed subplot in it, Like this entrepreneurial kid kind of finds out about water beds in the size.
Speaker 4: He's gonna a subplot subplot. Yeah, here's my prediction about the chair heist thing. It feels like, based on the stuff you found here, it feels like it might have been an inside job for at least a couple of those restaurant.
Speaker 3: I'm looking for the pun, but it's not there. That's why I think you're right, because to your point and to the thing we've been saying, I've never seen chairs just stacked on the curb side. Yeah, it doesn't seem like a very good business move because people are gonna take your stuff if you don't bolt it down. Not to have like lost faith in humanity or anything, but it's just kind of how it is.
Speaker 2: I gotta say, Yeah, I'm really going through it, and I feel like I might get some Papa Soans or maybe even some Matondacks if maybe I won the lottery or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just ask chat GPT. Apparently it can predict lotto numbers.
Speaker 2: What or not?
Speaker 4: I mean, everybody can predict lotto numbers, but can they predict them accurately?
Speaker 3: That the question I'm just gonna pull from this daily mail thing. Powerball winner reveals how she used chat g to generate winning numbers. Women in Michigan decided to ask the what do you call it large language model system which is quite popular and a little bit divisive, for a little help when it came to picking her lottery numbers. Her name's Tammy Carvey, forty five of Winandot, which is near Detroit, speaking of the Detroit detroiters. On September sixth, the powerball numbers were drawn, and the numbers that she asked chat gpt to generate they hit. She says, I asked chat GPT for a set of powerball numbers, and those are the numbers I played, she said. In a statement from the Michigan Lottery, she said, typically she only plays when the jackpot goes into the stratosphere and with the powerball starting to really really swell. You know, these things are accumulative, I believe to around one point seven billion dollars, the second largest in US history. She decided to give it a go, and she did hit not hit the one point seven eighty seven billion, but she won a lot more than she thought she apparently. When she did win, she googled it's not apparently not immediately clear what the my mount you get is depending on how many numbers, whether powerball is included.
Speaker 4: I've mean, how many other people want exactly right.
Speaker 3: So it told her that she likedly won about fifty k, but that was then very quickly revealed to be only half of the story, and she actually won one hundred thousand dollars because she added a power play multiplier. Okay, here's the interesting uh huh. The Michigan Lottery did have a statement saying the results of all lottery drawings are random and cannot be predicted by utilizing artificial intelligence or other number generating tools.
Speaker 4: Also, none of the hardcore lottery players are gonna believe that for a second, because people get these superstitions when it comes to sample.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that could well become a superstition. And where it's like run it through old chatty as you used to call call them. Carvy's story is the latest Daily Mail says, and a growing trend of lottery hopefuls turning to the technology for numerical inspiration. And I think this is interesting. I don't put much credence in it having any kind of predictive ability for this kind of thing. It's just generating stuff. Not really sure what the prompt was, you know, if she just asked it cold, give me the numbers, or if she put in some kind of other little tidbits of information about herself personally, like the kinds of numbers she usually plays, or who knows. But the point is you're starting to see people use chat GPT for all kinds of weird and ridiculous and sort of like you know, frivolous kind of stuff like make me the most amazing brownie recipe, and I cringe at that a little bit, considering how resource intensive it is and how each one of these engagements uses a whole lot of power, a whole lot of water. And not to be tree huggy about it, but the more people just start running random things through it, the more that AI bubble is getting bursting. I don't mean economically, I just mean like what it's doing to the environment and the structure and the land needs and all of that.
Speaker 4: I love the lack of context too with this. I want to harp on it too much because I think there's a future episode for us, but the lack of context always cracks me up. With your example of a CHATCHBT, give me a brownie recipe, it is totally plausible that a large language model could respond by saying a brownie is a character from European folklore. The best way to create one is to walk whiter shins under a moonless night, collecting wolf Spain. And what are some other ingredients? I have new perfect classic. That's the baking soda of spell mlock. Hemlock. There we go, apples and apples.
Speaker 3: You know it's a little bit darkness.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get way way more specific with the apple Brandy Smith is just for straight up gnomes anyway. No, I'm sorry, sleep deprivation again, but I think this is this is a really interesting example here, and because we're seeing more and more stories like this, we I think it is again. I think it's an episode in the future, especially with people who are using large language models to build what they consider communication with God.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. And then the idea of is they're a future of tech worship and you know chat GPT as a form of religion or God or these types of large language models. As they get more and more precise and specific, are we going to start seeing, you know, people treating them like deities. I think we're already seeing it a little bit.
Speaker 4: And we were using technology to create the folklore mythology of monsters of old.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and just to add before we go to the next segment. Last month, another powerball player from Virginia also credited chat GPT after she matched five numbers for a fifty thousand dollars win, which also for her balloon to one hundred and fifty thousand. After she added that powerplay multiplier, she decided to give the entirety of her winnings and three even donations of fifty k to the Association for Fronto Temporal Degeneration, Shalom Farms and the Navy Marine Corps Relief Society. So you do love to see that class act.
Speaker 4: Dang class act. I don't know if not to cast dis version on the four of us, but Dylan, is that something you would have done? Would you have donated all of your lottery winnings?
Speaker 5: Not all of it?
Speaker 4: I love that, Okay, some of it? Some of it we could say now, and with that, we are going to pause for a word from our sponsors. But when we return, we've got even more strange AI or LM news on the way.
Speaker 2: And we're back. Go ahead, And I was going to say, turn off your phone, but you can't do that and also hear this, So.
Speaker 4: Turn off your phone in freestyle what you think we would have said, and then email it to probably be pretty close. You'll be pretty close, at.
Speaker 2: Least disabled bluetooth. No way, that's probably how you're listening. You know what, We just got to say it out loud because these folks decided to at least write it down and say it out loud and risk retribution from what did we refer to them before the eventual AI over the gods? Well, there are some people that are risking that whole perpetual prison slash punishment.
Speaker 3: Rocos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is very smart, very influential people that have decided to risk it. And this is coming to us from Time magazine, written by Billy Perigo and Thallen Pilla. I believe is how you would say those Here's the title. Time is running out new open letter calls for ban on super intelligent AI development. Now, it's important that we say super intelligent AI development because this isn't saying ban on AI development. This is specifically going to be talking about the thing. I imagine we haven't read what the statement is yet. I imagine it would be the thing that we've talked about as AGI, the thing that is far more intelligent than any one human.
Speaker 4: Being, artificially generative intelligence, meaning that it's not going to just scrape the Internet and curate knowledge. It will synthesize, create its own thoughts, it will create its own code, It can perhaps create its own version of Offspring Yes, and have conversations that humans will quickly become irrelevant with it.
Speaker 2: And at least unable to fully control, right. I think that's a really important thing. So so first let's jump to a list of the human beings that signed this thing. We've got Steve Lum Yes, Steve Wozniak, one of the co founders of Apple. Yes, Steve from early Steve Bannon. Then we're aware of from politics and the campaigns of Donald Trump. Lea's the early campaign of Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: But he's very diplomatic, both of you.
Speaker 2: You've heard his name before. He's kind of an important person in the world.
Speaker 4: So it eas double Steve.
Speaker 2: We've got Paolo Benanti, who is an advisor, a direct advisor to the pope. We've got Harry and Meghan, you know them, guys, the Duke and Duchess. Yeah, We've got a bunch of other human beings. We've got several presidents, including Barack Obama and George W. Bush, the younger one. We've got people like Stephen.
Speaker 4: Fry Will I am your man, Glenn Beck.
Speaker 2: Glenn Beck signed this thing. Joseph Gordon Levitt signed this thing. Susan Rice, the National Security advisor under the Obama administration. Uh, there is a huge list. You can read that list.
Speaker 4: Oh, can I mention one other person. Please, you've all Noah Harari, who I think is one of the most qualified people to weigh it on this kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, besides will I am, but I hear you.
Speaker 4: Besides besides, for that was my question.
Speaker 2: Grimes signed it, you guys, isn't it She's always.
Speaker 3: Been so pro AI and pro this kind of stuff. Isn't that interesting?
Speaker 4: And if you want to join these luminaries. Also, it is an open letter, and we know what that means, folks.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's an open letter. So if you want to read the letter, we'll read it to you right now. But you can head over to superintelligence dash statement dot org and here is the statement. It's very concise. Ready, Yeah, we call for a prohibition on the development of super intelligence, not lifted before there is one broad scientific consensus that it will be done safely and controllably, and two there's a strong public buy in. That means that there are enough human beings on the planet that agree, Hey, it's okay that you do that thing that could affect all of us right right, right, and right now. It's around at least according to some of the stuff that was cited within the writing, here from Time magazine. It's around five percent of people that say, yeah, superintelligence, let's do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's not and that five percent is not evenly distributed across the global population, not to profile.
Speaker 3: And also, I mean there's people that is not in their orbit.
Speaker 4: No right, you know, like you, Let's say you're you're living in a place that has already suffered from resource extraction. You know, the closest computer is like several miles away and another village, and your thing is, I'm worried about how the crops are getting poisoned. And I'm pretty sure that these people who claim they're the military protecting the cobalt mine or whatever, I'm pretty sure they're just corporate goods.
Speaker 3: Well, don't worry. It'll be close to you soon enough when they dig up your rutebega fields and data centers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, shut up. Shout out to one of the weirdest sleeper hits by C. W.
Speaker 3: McCall.
Speaker 4: I made convoy.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, of.
Speaker 2: Course, And just to be clear, we do not support that type of digging up of the rudebagas. Absolutely not consensual digging. Yes, harvesting of rudabagas, that's what we're about on.
Speaker 3: Food stuff so or perhaps decorative you know purposes.
Speaker 4: Speak for yourselves.
Speaker 3: Anyway, for Halloween, let me.
Speaker 4: Was the original thing. Oh this, We're also going to get walloped with emails from our fellow conspiracy realist sci fi nerds if we don't. The but leryan Jahad from done. This is in Frank Herbert's Dune. There is a concerted effort to eliminate what they call thinking machines, the AI, because they came close to collapsing galactic civilization. So this is like a microcosmic version of what was predicted in so much sci fi that the humans and the meat mechs would have to ban together before it was too.
Speaker 3: Pretty good track record of sci fi writers predicting the future.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean we also I don't know about you guys, but I also cherry picked the heck out of that.
Speaker 2: That the guy who made Laser Cats five, James Cameron. If you heard of this guy, He's also made things like I don't know, Terminator.
Speaker 3: William, the idea of the Internet is a sentient being.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Philip K. Dick, who succeeded despite his last name.
Speaker 3: And despite his copious LSD concession I think that might have been a because I could communicate with the yes, yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, diministry return. Well, Matt, we know that the thing about petitions and open letters of this ILK is that yes, anybody can sign it, but it does not in any way necessarily create legislation or binding what the UN would call like binding.
Speaker 3: To be a bummer, But when is a call for anything? I did quote fingers there done much beyond. It's like a you know, move on dot org petition. It's kind of like a watch me do this thing.
Speaker 2: We kind of I identify what you guys are saying. I agree to some extent, but there's.
Speaker 4: Some real weight behind the name.
Speaker 3: And it's important to come out to your point, Matt, and defy the overlords in advance and you know, be the be the change. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and it is. It is genuinely kind of a scary thing. Currently there are one four hundred and fifty one signatures on this statement. I believe you can probably sign it if you want to. It's got a list of all the people. If you're a faith leader or a policy maker, or if you're in the arts and media, you go sign it and you get on the list and I think it's really important that it is just a call to look at this stuff before. If somebody in a lab does it alone and has that eureka moment, let's decide that that's the eureka moment we want, and let's decide what kind of lab we want to create it in. And if you want to create it together giant oligarchs and corporations, well then let's do that. But let's not do it in secret before.
Speaker 4: We go into the ocean. Let's make sure the boat can float.
Speaker 2: That would be cool.
Speaker 3: Well, and I guess because it's so techy and so you know, exponentially increasing in its you know, capacity and capabilities, it's not treated the same as say, like a weapon of mass destruction would be treated. It doesn't have the same level of regulation because it's it's got this innocuous sort of surface to it. We're experiencing it largely as consumers with cute internet videos mister rogers, you know, skating on the halfpipe or whatever. So there's this sort of soft cell to the public as an entertainment item where a lot of people are like, how could that be bad? That just seems like fun, you.
Speaker 2: Know, or as a perceived companion or as a perceived helper who's gonna get that recipe for you, or take all of the information about a specific topic and collated.
Speaker 4: Ghost of a loved one who has passed, scraped from the data that they left in their life. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I well know sure, but well, people are about to as we record this on October twenty second. In fact, they're doing it right now. They're about to experience chat gybt as a browser, a full on browser experience, because chatchybt just launched via Twitter post use me an x post this thing called at liss, which is their browser, which will be chat GBT powered. It. It just says meet our new browser, CHATGBT at liss shrug and you can download. I see it, I hear it. I see it. And the concept here is that there's a sidebar that you can just ask it at any time for to do things that you would ask of chat GBT, and it's all going to be one experience. Oh Dylan, I don't don't let the video cameras on those monitors see you do that?
Speaker 3: You his eyes?
Speaker 4: Fine, I'll roll the eyes as well. So look, we know there's a problem here with any kind of top down technology mandate, which is that a lot of people have AI rolled out because it sounds good in boardrooms, but it also doesn't necessarily help the user experience. Like name any big company that has a forward facing thing that you uh, they're they're trying to push an AI functionality on you, like Amazon or Meta as their oh helpful AI search. And I remember getting really irritated and I'm miming hitting my phone. Yeah yeah, I from it, and I was like, opt out, opt out, How to opt out? Opt out? Opt out?
Speaker 3: Well, that's funny you say that, Ben, because a big part of the whole perceived AI bubble is the fact that the stuff isn't necessarily particularly productivity increasing.
Speaker 4: Well, this is a conversation that is continuing, right, There's so much more to explore. We know that there are more things on the way. I suggest an episode in the future. And also, Matt, you said something that stood out to me a little bit Atlas.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, the big thing I'm looking out for right now with this is to see whether or not Chat GPT's Atlas has a a rise the way Google Chrome did. Because you guys, remember we were we saw when Google Chrome launched, and how it's really taking over a lot of the web browsing that people do on a daily basis.
Speaker 3: I think we all remember being a part of like gmails, Beta state, it's just ubiquitous.
Speaker 2: Oh we're too old for this relevant That joke makes sense, but but really it does feel to me like, at least for a time, Chat Gibt's Atlas is going to take off in a real way, and and I'm really interested interested to see how that changes, even like how Google sends back results absolutely well, and.
Speaker 3: I think we've all struggled with some of these Google instant results being a little hallucinatory and a little bit inaccurate. I'm wondering if they're making any assurances or promises that it's going to be better versions of that, and then it will become the proprietary thing could even potentially eat Google's lunch.
Speaker 4: You see this in every kind of business, right there, there's a there's a field of there's a field of competitors that springs up seemingly overnight, just like the old legend of soldiers when you sow the ground with dragon's teeth.
Speaker 3: Yeah that one.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, Okay, it's somebody gets it. Somebody out there, somebody out there gets please write an email US conspiracy a iHeartRadio dot com and validate your guy.
Speaker 2: So what other people may have clocked is that CHATCHBT called their browser atlas. And I don't know if you guys are like as creeped out and excited, and I don't know what to say, what what other word to use other than just I'm obsessed with three I at lias right now. And they called it chat GBT atlas And right now there is an interstellar thing whatever it is, probably an asteroid. Maybe a comment, well that's let's just go to abby. Three I at list did something really cool, uh and unexpected for a comment when we talked about this before a little bit. When a comment is entering into where the sun is often you get that thing called a tail. It's off gassing. When the comet itself heats up, if there's any ice, if there's anything in there that can melt, it shoots a tail off basically in the opposite direction of the Sun. That makes sense, right, Their solar radiation and heat hitting this comet, that's why it's outgassing like that three I at lis did the opposite It sent a tail towards the Sun. Why does it do that? How did it do that? Seriously, like physically, how could it do that?
Speaker 3: Unclear?
Speaker 2: So, guys, it is the craziest thing that this interstellar object had simultaneously a tail and an anti tail, so pointing away from the Sun, pointing towards the Sun. Then for a while just was pointing towards the Sun and now has turned into just a tail and it is headed towards Jupiter right now as we're recording this abvi lobe. He's our guy. He just posted on Medium four hours ago quote the anti tail of three Eye Atlas turned to a tail. The reason why this is so interesting is because if it were some kind of craft rather than just a comet, and it was going to slow down a little bit and slow its approach, it would eject stuff. If it was using you know, the types of momentum changing physics that we understand here on Earth, it would eject stuff towards the Sun because the Sun is pulling it in right with its gravity, so that would either slow it down or turn its change its trajectory. And then if it were making what do they call it, it's a there's a specific term for it. But when you're then you've changed your trajectory a little bit. Then you also have to push in the opposite direction to stabilize that change that you just made back into a specific trajectory or orbit. So there's still a chance, guys. I think it's still a four out of ten on the scale that Avlob put out that it could be a craft of some intelligence origin.
Speaker 4: I've been some let's go with anomalous origin. I've been super invested in this as well, Matt, so much so that I almost don't want to say anything until we do an episode on it. There's been a lot of scuttle but about who's reporting what amid the space agencies and heavenly observers, and I don't know, man, I've got so much more reading ahead on this one.
Speaker 2: Heard and that ends the saying we're gonna hear some ads and we'll be right back with more strange news.
Speaker 4: And we have returned with the last act of our weekly Strange News segment. Let's go back to X because we've mentioned X or you know, I think this is the most conservative opinion of all of us here on the show. We have unanimously agreed to just keep calling it Twitter, right, Twitter x FKA Twitter. Yeah, I'll tell you going to Yeah, so if you go to Secretary of War here in the United States, Pete HEGXATH and you check on his official account on Twitter FKX. On that platform, he recently posted the following or x the following tweeted the following, Uncle Jack and Miles, tell me you're supposed to say XT branding is a little bit murky. Yeah, agreed, agree with you, Noel. Anyway, here's what Pete said. Quote. The US military has a long standing partnership with Cutter, including today's announced cooperation with F fifteen QA aircraft. The news came through pretty recently. I think we all had eyes on this. There is going to be a Katari training facility created at an air Force base here on the contiguous United States, in Idaho, the Mountain Home Air Force Base in Idaho. Now we all kind of heard about this, right we did.
Speaker 3: We talked about it with a fellow we met on the cruise ship, actually, the guy who was in energy, remember oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I called him mister Energy.
Speaker 3: But I think we all just immediately a little quid pro quo clarice the moment on our heads. Yeah, in the airplane situation, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: And I think originally when this first hit the airwaves, a lot of people were very reactive in saying and confusing the details a bit and saying, oh my gosh, foreign government is building their own military base in Idaho.
Speaker 3: Why.
Speaker 4: It turns out there is some precedent to this kind of stuff. The United States historically has imported local talent from abroad to train them up. I mean, the US is home to the world's most powerful and dangerous military, also the most sophisticated for now. I mean, the two largest air forces are both the United States. It's the US Air Force and the US Navy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, And we help train people all the time.
Speaker 4: School of the Americas. And this this hasn't always ended well. People are naturally being i mean Islamophobia side, People are naturally asking questions similar to the to what you raised, No, which is a very valid question. Is there a quid pro quote? We're trained Uncle Sam's training pilots on the heels of Uncle Sam buying an aircraft from Cutter. It was being gifted though, right well, we the taxpayers still had to pay for the whole thing to be broken down and scanned for surveill and yeah, yeah, it's a gift. You're right, and that's a good distinction as well. Let's go to ap news. Great article primer here by the journalist Rebecca Boone reporting from Boise. This is going to be new construction. They're at Mountain Home Air Force Base over in Idaho. It's going to be several buildings that will handle training and maintenance for these Katari pilots and troops. But it's apparently this is weird. We were talking about this off air before we started rolling. We wrote to the governor of Idaho several times. We haven't heard a response yet, Governor Little, and asked, you know, just very very objective questions for clarification. And we did that because there was a statement by the governor not too long ago where they said, hey, this has been in the works for a while. But me, Governor Little, and one of the senators from Idaho, we didn't know what was happening until we got the official announcement till the White House, you know, went to the press club. It was like, hey, guys, you remember Cutter and can you imagine the senator and the Governor's group chat.
Speaker 3: That probably interesting. It's one of those things where it's almost like I'd rather ask for forgiveness than permission, but I think the government often asks for neither permission nor forgiveness.
Speaker 4: Yeah. If you go to the Idaho that's well said. If you go to Idaho Statesman by Sarah Cutler, you can read an article called Idaho officials caught off guard by planned to train Katari Air Force at Mountain Home This Yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So okay, given the history of the United States training other countries' air forces, specifically at this place, right, it's not that weird. What is weird is what we are. We already mentioned the gift thing, but also the strike that was wasn't Israel that struck Qatar? Yes, because they were. They said they were targeting Hamas the right, and then the administration, the United States Administration said essentially, if you attack guitar, you attack US. Now made a statement, and then they signed an official.
Speaker 4: Mini un kind of suguation mutual defense, mutual defense back.
Speaker 2: Right, That's why it feels a little weird to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I.
Speaker 4: Want to go back to the point raised there, because there is precedent here, not just in the general practice, but also in the specific location. As you said, since two thousand and nine, Mountain Home has hosted some pilots from Singapore. Right, it's not unusual to be loved by anyone deserve it, but it is it is worth remarking that there's somealidity to this. Objectively, you know, we have to look past the rush and the fright of conspiracies by noting, Look, these countries are buying American tech, very sophisticated jets that can be absolute beast in the sky, but they're also a surprise, kind of complicated to maintain and a little bit more difficult to fly than assessma skyhawk, you know, So you've got to have the experts teaching you how not to wreck your multi million dollar aircraft. Right, So that I think makes sense. And if it wasn't for the earlier quid pro quo kind of things going on, and then this might not be all that extraordinary. But yet, but yet, but yet, indeed.
Speaker 2: It's still I think maybe it feels even weirder just the way the headlines read on this. Yeah, when when it first hit a sub one of the subreddits that I frequent I just went, how in the hell is that a thing that's happening, Right, But then you even read Pete Hegsa's further comments like, hey, guys, this is the thing that happens all the time. We're doing this thing. We control the base.
Speaker 3: Don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so but give it's it's news outlets, in my opinion, attempting to get that quick reaction.
Speaker 4: I think one hundred million percent nobody checked the math on that statement that this is absolutely true. And it's also showing us a startling division or fracturing within within a political party in the US that generally follows in lockstep with itself. Right, we're seeing we're seeing the cracks start to show. Consider another person who has been who has been seen as quite a public voice in the current administration, Lauer, who also around the time this news got announced, said on Twitter x dot com quote, nobody wants the funders of Hamas in America being trained to fly fighter jets on US soil. A jahatist in a suit is still a Jahati. This is a threat to our national security. I I don't know this person. Yeah, and they're very much there's a lot of islamophobia.
Speaker 3: She is, and Trump has called her out by name as one of his biggest boosters, you know, in the media, and everybody is not considered her a journalist.
Speaker 4: Everybody's got their own path. It's not too late to become a right wing hatemonger yourself. Man, it's not over yet, Okay, So don't feel intimidated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not trying to be divisive here, but I mean it's true on equivalent, many of the things that she has to say and that she exes out her tweets or what have you are quite hate filled, just objectively not the best.
Speaker 4: And I think we should also do an episode on the CIA bungling out there in Venezuela and now Colombia.
Speaker 3: I don't think I know about this.
Speaker 4: It's been reported in piecemeal, but while we're on while we're on conspiracies and a little bit of geopolitics and old hobby horse for me, you guys, Noel, I don't know if you heard this. The current president of the United States, Donald Trump, went on went public and put the CIA on blast on October sixteenth, and he said, you know, yeah, I'm authorizing CIA operations in Venezuela right now. We're also looking into land strikes.
Speaker 3: This is me doing it. My word is my decree.
Speaker 4: Which pissed off a lot of people at the shop.
Speaker 3: Well, they're channels, man, you know. And we've said this a million times. It just goes to show how so much of procedure and things that we have seen historically adhered to in American politics is just about people behaving themselves and staying to decorum, you know, and when you have someone who's willing to kind of, for better or worse, flout all of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's trying to do like a gentleman's agreement thing, but then also had a little bit of a fig leaf by saying I can't give more information on the CIA operations because they're covert, which just doesn't hold water, you know what I mean. I feel like there's something crooked in the wind. It's an episode. Critics of the administration are saying that certain factions or forces really want a war before the next electoral cycle.
Speaker 2: And not just with Venezuela, with a lot of Caribbean countries, a lot of South American, Latin American countries.
Speaker 4: And anyone will do it's an open audition.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the day we got off the ship. You guys, there was another strike targeting a boat that is allegedly as according to the CNN, Colombian had Colombia nationals on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, it just seems like it's going to get bigger.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it seems like it's going to be on the way. So we're going to race to get the facts and look at the conspiracies and find out where it gets crazy. Moment regarding this, also shout out to our fellow conspiracy realists who enjoyed our post pandemic price hike conspiracy episode. Tyson and Cargill got to pay eighty eight million dollars to consumers in a lawsuit about beef price fixing, which is one of my new favorite crimes.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's better.
Speaker 4: Than stamp fraud. Now, you know I spent some time upstate fixing beef prices.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and fights.
Speaker 4: Fights, Yeah, if those were your two may things, boxing and like.
Speaker 2: Short rips, well, and beef like you're squashing.
Speaker 4: Frue squash of beef.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I've kept this this last part short because we've got so much more to get to. We're still recovering our sea legs. So with this, we're going to.
Speaker 3: Bid you a do.
Speaker 4: We're off to octivigate and have some more adventures. Please tune in. We've got much more on the way. In the meantime, we can't wait to hear from you. You can find us on email, you can find us on the telephone, you can find us on the lines.
Speaker 3: Oh and Ben, I believe we are owed a list of remaining names of our fellow sailors that we had some meaningful interactions with on the Valiant Lady. Yeah, yeah, we do mean meaningful.
Speaker 2: Let's start with this from Mary Bones, Paul and Sherry. They were awesome and betrayal Stacy, Michaela, Tommy and Tyler.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Let's also continue with some folks We're going to stick to like first names and nicknames. So let's let's run Robin Smithez so shout out to mister Energy. To Alison and Daniel.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well I got Victoria, Felipe, Ashley and Anika.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, we had David, Andy and Pamela. Also a happy birthday, Pamela. I'm not nearly a stuff with you. I only had Ashley. Shout out to Ashley.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Mila, who is always right You guys, remember Oh for sure, that's right.
Speaker 4: Cool Diva Anastasia, Oh wait god you found yeah and Mila other than that one might be broken.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: H shout out to James, Chris, Michael Hope and Deshaun.
Speaker 2: Chris and Melissa you guys met Chris the hug Dealer and Melissa swifey awesome and Jack and Nicole Oh my gosh, Dominique and.
Speaker 4: Dern, as well as Wanda, Kenda, Mitchell and Kendra.
Speaker 2: Heck yeah, Oh dude, I remember Victor, Jurgen and Gavin in the Red Room. Yes, that sounds freezy. That was the venue already played.
Speaker 4: Yes, we got there though, we got we got it in. Also big thanks to Malachi, Dianna, Destiny and Neery.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I have any more guys.
Speaker 4: Captain DeVaughn we mentioned earlier took us out to see the ship right.
Speaker 3: Not a hero and also the captain Captain who gave you all a tour of the bridge. I was indisposed at the time, but it sounded like a good time.
Speaker 2: Oh, Jim and Diana they had a anniversary.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, happy anniversary Jim and Diana. Uh and thank you yet to the Captain's uh Demir and Miran. Thank you to the great folks at Virgin Jamie especially. I feel like that's that's.
Speaker 3: True English gentlemen.
Speaker 4: That's a weird thing that happens to us though as Americans because we hear a person with a British accent and we yeah, like you teach me your ways. Also, big thanks to the Carlice, Oh huge thanks to it and the third Carly. The first two cars were with us.
Speaker 3: There's always a secret third Carly really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no words to live by. They travel in packs.
Speaker 3: Well yeah. In the meantime, if you want to shout out or doesn't want to hang with us on the interwebs, you can indeed find us there in multiple places, including the handle Conspiracy Stuff, where we exist on Facebook with our Facebook group. Here's where it gets crazy. Good conversations going on there on x fk A, Twitter and on YouTube or we have video content galore for YouTube enjoy on Instagram and TikTok. However, we're Conspiracy Stuff Show.
Speaker 2: We also have a phone number. It is one eight three three std wytk ah for someone a while, we've had all three of us doing that. We hope you say it at home every time here.
Speaker 4: When did we get because I remember pushing it as when we first got our voicemail line. When did we get our voicemail line? It was after we started the audio version.
Speaker 2: There's no way to know, Ben, there must there's probably a way archives somewhere, like we've gotten the first one. Yeah, and it was probably brocking a monster.
Speaker 3: I guarantee it.
Speaker 2: Okay, but call the number. It's a voicemail system. When you call in, you've got three minutes. Say whatever you'd like. Give yourself a cool nickname, and let us know if we can use your name and message on the air. If you got something else to say, maybe with words one instead send us an email.
Speaker 4: We are the entities that read each piece of correspondence we received. Be well aware, yet unafraid. Sometimes the void rights back. Now during our live show, which we'll hear soon, we hope, we had the fortune of holding an awesome Q and A with a lot of our fellow at sea conspiracy realist and there was one question we got which I wanted to take a moment to chew on before answering, which was this, You guys, remember it if you only had twenty four hours to live, what movie would you watch.
Speaker 3: Man, take it about this, this lo this this whole time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we haven't thought about it.
Speaker 3: Wait, they don't want to know.
Speaker 4: I did the worst thing though, because you guys remember why when you guys had these phenomenal answers tree of life and then what was the other one? Life is beautiful life? Yeah, and so I deferred and this says a great question. Let me think about it. Spoiler there, man, I am still thinking about it. But I do have to give a shout out to someone on the boat who had a very special request. Their movie that they would watch with only twenty four hours is Somewhere in Time, a nineteen eighty romantic fantasy drama film starring Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour, and Christopher plumber Boom. You thought we forgot Melissa, Yeah, thought we weren't going to say Somewhere in Time.
Speaker 2: We all wrote that down baby mcana Island.
Speaker 4: Macanaw Island, No cars allowed.
Speaker 5: Conspiracy.
Speaker 4: Adiheartradio dot Com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,