Speaker 1: Are you leave in I you wanna way back home?
Speaker 2: Either way, we want to be there.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gay a. We want to send you off InStyle. We want to welcome you back home. Tell us all about it.
Speaker 3: We scared her?
Speaker 2: Was it fine?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Porn? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 5: Need to ride? Do you need with Karen and Chris? Welcome to Do you need to ride? This is Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 2: And this is Karen Kilgariff.
Speaker 5: Well here we are back in the car again, driving a guest to the airport.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, right, our guest, Jemmic's over. Everyone's keeled.
Speaker 5: We're of course not in a car. We will be one day, but we have a guest today. He is a very funny stand up comic. He's a writer director. You can watch, uh, we'll talk more about it, but you can watch his Highwayman series if you're if you're a fan of The Incredible Hulk or Highway to Heaven, you will fully love it. Everyone put your hands together for Henry Phillips. Hey, thanks guys, good to be back on the show. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yes, multiple guests on the show, right, at least once, if not more.
Speaker 5: I did one with you guys.
Speaker 6: Uh and then also there was one where I think you weren't able to make it, Karen, and so I jumped in there and we was it Matt Kershon that we drove around with.
Speaker 5: Uh oh wow, yeah, that you have a good memory. We're talking eight years ago or something.
Speaker 2: That makes that reminds me of that you're my enemy.
Speaker 5: Oh shoot, I forgot. Oh yeah, I forget.
Speaker 2: That was so much jealousy competition.
Speaker 5: I forgot. It's called the Nemesis episode.
Speaker 2: Yes, face him in a mass.
Speaker 6: Like for all I know, that was a real awkward situation for you guys, and I just bring it up care.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah one time. Yeah, thanks for bringing out that three week long fight that Karen and I had. Henry, No, no, it.
Speaker 3: Was the door slamming. What's weird is was it eight years ago? I mean that is possible, So it's possible to me. I mean, when did you guys start?
Speaker 5: Oh why had if I do this? It's like, when's our anniversary? I please tell me we haven't done this ten years. That had to be I think about just under seven years. Seven eight years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's been a while. Wow, we've been doing this. We've been doing this into the wind for years. No one ever cared. In the beginning, it was great. Yeah, we were rather free. Yeah, just a tree falling down.
Speaker 5: Well, hopefully new.
Speaker 2: People in the last eight years. I'm sorry, have you been in these last eight years?
Speaker 6: You know what I've been doing pretty well. I'm I'm currently engaged. And to Deborah, you've met Deborah. We all hung out a couple of years ago at Tiggs place, That's right, and a lot of laughs, and yeah, that was probably towards the beginning. That was like twenty fifteen or something. And yeah, we're we're actually going to go to Joshua Tree and have a socially distant ceremony with her friend officiating. And it's going to be very twenty twenty. But it's great for me because I'm like, I don't know, I guess maybe it's because I'm getting older or whatever, but the idea of having a big ceremony with a hundred family members and a hundred other friends, it's just too much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, for sure, the top. It's weird to hear you know that. Have you put out the invitations yet, Henry, let's see, did you get one?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, if you haven't gotten one, then they haven't done.
Speaker 2: This is a COVID. We it's a COVID exactly, like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: The bit I was doing for a while is I would if I was hanging hanging out with a friend, I would say, yeah.
Speaker 5: By the way, we're canceling the wedding.
Speaker 6: They're like, oh wait, and then and then I'd be like, oh wait, I didn't invite you anyway.
Speaker 5: No, that's okay, just forget about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I got some mileage with that one.
Speaker 5: That was fun. But I know we haven't sent invitations out yet. Yes, I was. It'll be a zoom thing. We're gonna do a zoom for the family.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'd love to get the code for that, and I did. Just if you just email me a link, I'll watch you.
Speaker 5: Like funny you guys, And it's probably it's been happening all gear. I bet zoom getting the code for a zoom wedding.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, you know, zoom comedy shows aren't bad enough.
Speaker 6: My dad did a zoom funeral we set him up in front of the computer, and I got to say, he's ninety two, and he doesn't quite know everything that's going on around him or where he is. And trying to explain to a fully functional ninety two year old what Zoom is is already difficult. But my dad's basically he just thought he was watching a movie and he at one point I set him up with this thing.
Speaker 5: It was his old golf buddy who had passed away.
Speaker 6: And then you know, you can do the type of view on Zoom where anybody who's talking at that moment is the one that pops up. That's like the gallery whatever view, I don't know, speaker view, and uh, my dad just says fully out loud.
Speaker 5: It just just goes, uh wow, everybody looks so ugly.
Speaker 6: And it was like, but you you guys know, like we all have since we're all comedians, we have friends like Doug Stanhope, you know, who would always like go out of his way to try to make the most uncomfortable situation and it would work a lot of times. I swear I have never cringed harder than when my dad said it was so unbelievably uncomfortable. I wanted to turn back time because people were just like what who said that?
Speaker 3: It was like so like, it's the perfect the perfect line because the situation is tragedy. Oh exactly, it's like a tragedy within a tragedy of like, you know, pandemic.
Speaker 2: Everything about it, everything.
Speaker 3: About it is said and then darn coming in with a hardcore, hardcore comedy.
Speaker 5: Oh man, what I know of your dad, I know him a little bit that I see him doing that and it not being mean spirited, it being in a sweet way. Yeah, like out of concern, concern for everyone's faces. Yeah, Oh that's wonderful. I love it so much.
Speaker 3: Organist playing in the background. Now your father correct me if I'm wrong, if I'm wrong. But your father was like a recurring character on Cheers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, well he did one episode of Cheers. He did a taxi. He just worked a lot. There was a show that he was a regular on called Always Forgiven that was the same people as Cheers. But he uh, but he's been an actor for is he? I guess he was probably about thirty six when he started acting. He kind of quit his his other life and became an actor and did Summer Stock and stuff like that. Then he started doing Broadway and then he got he landed this part in tax There was an episode called on the Job where everybody loses their job or yeah, and they they went and got other jobs and a Lane goes to work for my dad and he just knocked it out of the park.
Speaker 5: Most of these roles included was that show the one, Oh that's a picture that came out? Yeah, which is the first time that joke I think, Oh, yeah, those jokes were that's the yeah that was Taxi.
Speaker 6: Yeah oh okay, but yeah, you can see it on YouTube. His name is Bill Wilie and but yeah, he knocked it out of the park.
Speaker 5: He uh, well, Henry made him a demo reel and it's on there, right, isn't ye? Yeah, yeah demo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you can see everything he's done. Yeah, was it that on chairs? It was within the episode he kept showing up. He was the tour guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, yeah, in my mind that turned into he was on the whole season.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's so funny.
Speaker 6: The slightly tragic story, but I i've I've determined that it's probably not too tragic. But my dad and I remember he was in the running to be the coach on Cheers, and during that period of time, he got a call, uh for the sequel to the movie Porky's to play basically the villain, and he took it because it was like, well, do I do this pilot that may I may or may not even have the part, but it looked pretty good, especially in retrospect, and then maybe the show won't go or whatever, or do I you know, do a whole.
Speaker 5: Yeah port movie, it's a sure thing.
Speaker 6: So he did that and uh, and then we just watched Cheers turn into the biggest, most iconic TV show in history. But but my dad remained friends with with that whole.
Speaker 5: Crew, and yeah, but Cheers was a great show. But Porky's taught the world about glory holes.
Speaker 2: That's right. I didn't know about that. I'm as eleven year old, and that's.
Speaker 5: How I learned. Yeah, Bill was part of that teaching. Yeah, yeah, he was. Also.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's your dad, but I honestly don't think anybody but Nicholas calls Doano. I hope that's how you say his name. But the guy that played coach, oh yeah, it was so perfect. But he had Cheers was like a favorite show, and he was so he was just so natural.
Speaker 6: He had that spacey thing that I love, you know, like yes and Wood. He had it when he got on there and yeah, but it was such a perfect sitcom type you know. And uh, yeah, my dad wasn't quite that. My dad was a little bit more of a uh like a loud uh maybe a little bit more like a Greg Proops type guy, like he would always have the suit and very but like a flawed guy in a suit sort of thing. That makes sense. It was a very different type of a character. Yeah, I'm going to turn the phone thing if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 5: Though, in in the Cheers character that he did do kept going back to the bar giving tours, Yeah, pretending Paul Revere had been there or something, just so he could drink on the job. Yeah he was.
Speaker 6: It was a tour guide who was who was giving tours of Boston to tourists. But he kept on saying that the bar was various things, and then he would have them look around and then go.
Speaker 5: To a shot at the bar. Yeah, that would funny. You would never see so many fun loving alcoholics on a TV show now and like, you just don't take that as lightly as now you did back then.
Speaker 2: The Mothers against Drunk Driving, Yeah, they're.
Speaker 5: Very mad, shut down were they were? They really upset at Cheers. I wouldn't be surprised that seems like one of them.
Speaker 3: I thought it would be funny to blame an organization trying to save people from It's like, back then, when that organization started, drunk driving was not illegal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 6: It was okay that I could see that being a very eighties beef though, the Mother's against Drunk Driving and Cheers. I watched a a Mormon guy speaking generally. I don't have any beef with Mormons. I have some friends that are Mormons, and uh they But this this guy had a problem with the entertainment industry, and I remember him saying that he felt like the fact that they had a TV show about people drinking was the beginning of the end of all civilizations.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, And he was right, look a look where we are.
Speaker 5: Ye, he was right. And I found out later that he had been a child actor. Yeah, oh it was, it was he was. It's like, yeah, he was jealous. Yeah, I think that was like I'm bitter too, but like that's a real.
Speaker 2: We're all bitterer.
Speaker 5: My four wives agree.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like my dad, my dad probably could have come out and said, yeah, Cheers is the end of all civilization just because he could.
Speaker 5: Have been on it and it wasn't on it. Yeah, it's wonderful.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna ask talk about will you talk about your the show that you're that you just made this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like Highway to Heaven.
Speaker 6: And yeah, the other one was there's one full episode on YouTube. Generally they're on Patreon Patreon slash Highwayman Show and uh, it's uh. Debora and I both came up with the idea, my fiance and she, so yeah, it's kind of Highway to Heaven. And it's also kind of this show from Canada called The Littlest Hobo, which is about a dog that goes from one person to another. And it's like every show is the same, you know, it's like from back then. It's like they would just sort of show up to this area and change everybody's lives and then move on to the next place. And The Incredible Hulk was sort of like that too. So yeah, I have a ridiculously long origin story about the highwayman who was just a regular guy who was helping his friend move and he severely injured his back, and yeah, due to a freak accident, he was no longer able to help anybody with anything, and so he had to go traveling around the highways and he and he's just the kind of guy that goes around and we'll see somebody stranded with their car. Well, okay, the whole thing started from one time when I my car died when I was in Fresno and just like the middle of the summer.
Speaker 5: He it was just a nightmare. I was in the middle of nowhere, and.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm one of those like long sort of highway drives that was just off the beaten path. And so this guy came up, and he's kind of a long haired guy, and I'm just like going, all right, maybe this guy knows something about cars or whatever. And he came up and uh, he he asked me something like if I wanted some kittens or something like that. He had kittens in his.
Speaker 5: But either way, the.
Speaker 6: Reason he was coming up had no nothing to do with helping me whatsoever. And when that was resolved, he just went back to his car, and I was like, going, man, I've never met a more worthless person ever, so I thought. But he kind of looked like he was going to be a guy that was going to be able to help out. So that's that's what the highway man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was the scene I saw.
Speaker 6: He doesn't know anything about cars, he can't really help his cell phone never works. He'd like to help you, but he can't really bend because he's got this aad bad.
Speaker 5: He's living on disability. That's an important part of his characters. He's roaming the world with not a care because he has a disability from his back. Yeah, and he.
Speaker 6: Can't really give you a ride because his car's all full of junk, and so he's just a completely worthless guy. But he goes around and but in some episodes he sort of winds up helping people in the way that you don't expect.
Speaker 5: And then in some episode he has a jet pack for no reason. Yeah, it's a very Oh yeah, and Coiler had a subplot that he finds a It's and he just takes it across the street.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, he has a he finds a box that says us a top secret on it and he opens it up and it's a jet pack and so he uses it to help somebody with their car.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it is the best yeah now, yeah, and you'll love all all the faces and that there's so many funny people in it. I'm I'm very excited about it because now I'm going to watch all of them.
Speaker 2: Well do you name a couple of the people that are in it?
Speaker 6: Well, let's see, Uh, well, Demorges, you guys know Demorses.
Speaker 5: He did an Episode's Amazing Boy, a lot of friends of Patrick Keanes and on the podcast, there's.
Speaker 6: In the beginning, Oh, Francisco Ramos is fantastic and he so we we started it right in the middle of COVID and it was like everybody was pretty terrified because we're like, how are we going to do this? And so the first episode Francisco Ramos, if if you don't know him, you should, He's very funny. And so we organized this whole scene where we were both looking straight on so that we're not talking to each other because we're afraid of like it because we can't have mass while we're in there. But we were far enough away and the crew is literally just myself, Debor and our friend Carlos who's got a camera.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 6: So we so Francisco has his girlfriend Brooke, and it was like, all right, well there. I never even asked if she was an actor or not, but she she turns out to be great, and I think she she was, But we were more interested in, like, well, can you do a scene close to Francisco, because since they're a pod, they can, you know. So, yeah, that was all the decision making that was going into this thing.
Speaker 5: And well that's how soap operas are now. They'll like have a body double come in for actual makeout scenes and all of a sudden, the arms will be hairy because it's that actress's real life husband.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 5: All the interaction, they are clearly across the room from each other, and you can tell by the eye line when someone is looking twenty feet away, even if they shoot it to make it look I laugh. And they're still shooting soap operas like that. It's the only reason I've been watching you. So they're the.
Speaker 2: Only thing keeping America going right to me alive.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, that's so smart. Wow, I didn't know that. So here's a question about soap operas. Like we know that TV eventually like starting with shows like Lost and maybe you know all TV since then, Like it seems like they've kind of borrowed that formula of the cliffhanger and keeping stories being serialized as opposed to like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can't just jump in the way to heaven.
Speaker 6: Would be like you're you start and then you're done and that's the end of the show. Now they all just keep going. But now that we have those in like good TV like Breaking Bed and Mad Men and all that, why watch a soap opera? Then that's what I'm right, Why they have extremely good quality shows that are doing the same thing.
Speaker 5: I've tried to ask because my dad watches Days of our Lives now, I believe it is or One Life to Live, one of the classics, And I don't want to offend him and his wife by asking why suddenly this thing we've made fun of our whole lives, why he records it and watches it every episode?
Speaker 3: I can answer that, okay, because as a person when I was like, I think it was like the summer of like six or seventh grade, me and my mom started watching which one was it? It was young Julianne Moore was on it Young in the rest well.
Speaker 5: Did you say young and the rest you just said young, and so I'm sorry, I oh.
Speaker 3: Good close, but no, it was it was one of the other ones. But it was really good. And normally I thought it was so boring, but the second my mom and I would both watch it and then at like at a scene when they would just like be staring at each other, and then I would go to commercial. Yeah, it'd be like, oh my god, I thought she liked him, but I guess she doesn't like him. It was like this weird they seemed real after a while. So it was like this family that was super fucked up and that people were cheating and doing all crazy shit, and it was like you were checking in on like things to gossip about or something. It was really it like pulled you in in the dumbest way, but then kind of kept you because it was like, well, they're you know, they're down at the docks, and the last we saw, you know, blah blah blah was happening, and of course that doesn't actually happen, or you know, everything is the cliffhanger and the kind of like Bain Switch but yeah, I think they're kind of written to be addictive, and they've been going on forever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like they mastered the formula, I guess. I guess they're just still better at it than even those great shows, because like there's just the frequency of those callbacks. It's like one minute per episode, whereas in Breaking Bad it's like every other episode has something that you need to have watched previous episodes for.
Speaker 6: But yeah, they just are like doling out crack, you know, in these soap operas. They're just constantly giving you the things that you have to Yeah. Well, I mean, let's face it, how many times have we been like a diner or something by ourselves and then we hear the people talking behind us?
Speaker 3: It doesn't interesting because the quarantine eavesdropping was my passion. I would listen to fucking anybody talk about anything. He's my favorite. And it's like there's none of it anymore.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's sad, Yeah, but it's it's engaging to us to just get into somebody's life, you know, it's really weird. Yeah, Yeah, to the mall just to stare at people. Now what Yeah, Yeah, those are the two things here. Eves dropping on somebody's conversation at a diner and then after they leave, having a little bite of whatever they were eating.
Speaker 5: Those are the two things. A minute chicken sound can.
Speaker 2: I think I've told you this, Chris.
Speaker 3: But one time me and I think it was Lizzie Cooperman were at the astro and I was going in on whoever whatever person that we were gossiping about. We were gossiping, and I would say about fifteen minutes later, we've got our food and we're kind of eating, and then the two girls that were sitting in the booth behind us got up and one was like, I just want to tell you that I'm a big fan of your podcast.
Speaker 2: I was like what. Within earshot she heard me just being like and fuck.
Speaker 3: Man, because that's I just suddenly got this sense of like, oh no, I can't. I can't like publicly gossip any however, someone will go, oh, I like your podcast.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah. Thank god she didn't say I'm a big fan of the person you're talking about. That would have been the ultimate terrible thing. Yeah, no, that's yeah. I had that at the airport.
Speaker 6: There was a little period of time because I had the one kitchen video that just went you.
Speaker 5: Know, yeh, Henry's kitchen the best vieuse.
Speaker 6: And but how get recognized at airports because that's the one place where like you get a just a smattering of every type of demographic, you know. And I was literally as much as I do anyway, I was getting really pussy with the gate agent, just like you know. But it's like, you know, I have three hours to wait, why are you going to charge me to get on the earlier plane? There's empty seats. I've been a customer for whatever. And then there's some guy staring at me and he's literally like, just when you're done, man, no, you're all good now. But like afterwards, hey, can we get a picture because and I'm just like, oh, you're done screaming at her? Yeah, yeah, when you're done screaming. Uh, it's so awkward. And then and then you just have to turn into a real nice person.
Speaker 5: And yeah, lax, I saw the sweet man that plays uh, the dad on Rushmore. He just passed away. But he's an actor, a character actor.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh you know his name?
Speaker 5: How do you do it?
Speaker 3: He's a classic. He's he's an old school classic. And I was just talking to somebody about.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay. I just saw him. Someone rented one of those luggage carts and didn't put it back into the track. They just left it near the other carts, and he was screaming at them and calling them lazy. Isn't that much harder to put it into the track. That's a problem with the world today. And I'm like, you were such a sweet dad on Rushmore. Oh so funny. I yeah, I'm glad that I didn't say, hey, I know who you are, by the way, because it probably would have heard.
Speaker 2: Him, Hey Krabby. That's what I feel like.
Speaker 3: The girl, the girl the auser should have been like, hey, bitch, I'm a big.
Speaker 5: You're just we were just talking about that word. But it's kind of subject change. What's your your friend that helped you made Punching the Clowns. Oh yeah, it's it's one of the best. His use of the word bitch, which is a word I don't like to you. I never let me go back though, so so Greg.
Speaker 6: He's the guy that is the director and co writer of the movies that we've made.
Speaker 5: Punching the Clown was the first one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we met in college at UCLA, and I congratulations yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, political science majors and.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, wow wow, Chris, don't get jealous.
Speaker 5: Hey, yeah, art is a legitimate major.
Speaker 6: So you would have like one thousand people in every class, except for the way that they sort of got that intimate teaching experiences. They would also have little discussion groups where there'd be like maybe ten people and one teacher's assistant. And so that's where I met Greg. And Greg is a French national. He was born and raised in France and went to Paris University. He is French as French as you can be, except that his mother is American.
Speaker 5: Yeah, many a zero accent.
Speaker 6: So so when he grew up learning English because of his mother, he speaks English with an accent that none of us would ever know that he was from a foreign country. So if if somebody from a foreign country says something that's the wrong word, then then we correct them or it's like it's obvious why they did it. But with Greg, you have no idea why this person just said that. So this is a great example, Like I guess that at one point he must have asked his mom what the word bitch meant, and she said peutent, which is a generally derogatory term for a woman. It actually is more like a prostitute. It's like it's like saying a whore. So she just kind of like said, well, that's the same general gist, but he took it literally to mean like, oh, a bitch is someone who is a prostitute woman the evening Yeah, yeah, he thought a prostitute was bitch and that they were equivalent. So cut to you know, we're in this discussion group at UCLA and this having ascussion about about international politics or whatever and municipal politics, and at one point Greg raises his hand and he's like, you know, it's kind of interesting because in Paris right now they're having a problem with bitches, where like they'll be you know, i mean, tourism is a major part of Paris and the economy and everything, so you'll get American tourists that are trying to eat and they'll get harassed by like French bitches. We'll go up to them, starts She's like what she couldn't believe her ears, like what are you saying? And then he's like I'm bitches, you know, bitches, And then like he would double down on it, and she's just like what.
Speaker 5: Are you talking about? Like, what do you mean?
Speaker 6: And it was awkward and then uh, I didn't know that he was from France, but I was like, this guy's cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this guy really weird. And then another time there but they had a party or something and Henry, I've heard this story. That's why I'm telling it, he said. Henry came over. He said, Hey, do you want anything to eat? We have leftover pea if you want to.
Speaker 6: Uh, He's like he was trying to say pie, but he pronounced it pee. Yeah, you know you normally have some pea. I'm like, no, I don't drink pea, no, but it's leftover. I'll try the idea that he's doing it all with a perfectly American Oh yeah, that's the best. Does it sounds like he's an asshole? Fucking I'm French? Sorry, I'm French.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'm French. Sorry.
Speaker 3: I thought bitches were whoores where It's like, guess what, dude, all.
Speaker 5: Of this doesn't work. No, I'm completely French, but he said, I'm French. He's so friendly that his personality it would confuse everyone because there's it just comes out of it, just like comes out of left field. That's great, right field or left field. It comes out of center field, which actually you'd think you'd expect. But any any fly ball, it's hard to catch.
Speaker 2: Honestly, the sun's in your eyes centerfield.
Speaker 5: Look at me, I can be one. That's a John fogertiza. Hey. Hey, since we last talked, we have a new president elect. That's right. I didn't get the chance to dance in the streets with you.
Speaker 3: Oh I loved the video you sent me, though. Chris on the day apparently left his apartment went down. He heard the children in the streets and sent me a video of everybody on Sunset Bulevard dancing to Whitney Houston's I want to dance with somebody.
Speaker 5: And they and it was so fucking cool looking. I thought, great, the news was going to use that video. I captured such a joyous moment because everyone was jumping and singing together. And I swear I was just walking the grocery stores around the corner. I walked through at like ten in the morning when the new was first solidified, and there was twenty people, I guess, but I was like, oh cool, they're dancing outside a barber shop. And then my buddy Jim text and said, oh my god, you have to see the street and it was people dancing on city buses and the entire street and there was no police. There was just happy people. So even the bus driver was like, oh right, yeah, me too, I'm happy, but I got to take these people that aren't on unemployment to work right now. But it was so great, and everyone had a mask on even though everyone, yes they did. I was at a super spreader event or something. It was just a beautiful maybe not the safest, but it was so.
Speaker 2: Well, you know it.
Speaker 3: That's great to me because it was like the thing where those are all the people that probably have been very careful. Most of those people if they were wearing a mask in the street, you know, they're probably conscientious.
Speaker 5: Yes, I didn't recognize any of them right exactly, but we've all.
Speaker 3: Been stuck, you know, in our houses and a loan or just with one other person for so long. And then on top of that, it's like the fucking wicked witch is dead. I mean there's people who are dancing because they it might keep them alive.
Speaker 2: That he is like that he's gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's it was just such Yeah, people have I feel like a lot of the a lot of average Americans like myself, haven't felt that level of like we're we're so close to elation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just so scary.
Speaker 3: It's been so consistently scary for years and years, and then just getting worse and worse and worse.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I don't know, it.
Speaker 3: Just beyond I was afraid people wouldn't celebrate because everyone's so down in the dumps.
Speaker 5: I didn't expect it. Yeah, or i's great doubt, you know, Well, let's wait till the next few days all these mail in ballots come in. No, they were ready right then. And I tell yeah, if someone showed me video footage of me kind of hiding in a door, well just watching people dance and like crying at the side of it, you would think I would enjoy me as a festivals more or something. Well, that was my favorite part.
Speaker 3: There's definitely dudes in the street who are like, I have to dance because this is a momentous occasion, but I am not comfortable, so everyone around them is or whatever. And then there's some dudes that are just kind of like, it's only two pm, so I have enough to drink to make this work.
Speaker 2: I can't be not self conscious. I never would have done it.
Speaker 5: I would sober dancing that if they were drinking, would turn into Elaine bennets Seinfeld dancing. Yeah, yes, exactly, erratic arm gestures.
Speaker 6: Plus as being that type, that demographic of person. It's like, I knowing now that there's cameras everywhere that you can be the next viral guy that everybody's making fun of with your dancing, it's like, I forget it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the next viral terrible dancer celebrating.
Speaker 6: I have no problem with that kind of thing if it's if since I'm a comedian, if it's it's something that I'm doing. But actually, one of my worst fears is that I'm doing something unintentionally funny and then it goes viral.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, that and punching the clown the second one. Yeah, a cigarette. Someone gives them a cigarette and it starts burning his hair and he does this weird, erratic movement and falls off stage, and that's what goes viral and makes the record company interested in his work because there's all these hits on this video and they just want him to do yeah, or I'm maybe not doing it. No, that's exactly. Yeah, yeah, so funny. JK. Simmons is in that by the way from Assoula, Montana. So now we have a former president that will It's kind of like when like if someone graduates from college or they don't graduate and pretend that they did at top of the class and they won't leave their parents' house and they just start putting up posters and listening to pink Floyd and the parents he's not. I feel like they're just gonna have to let him rent a room there because he's not.
Speaker 3: Or he's gonna around Thanksgiving, go down to mar A Lago in Florida and never come back because he is. We are watching a toxic, malignant narcissist, I believe is like the clinical term who cannot They can't they can't admit fault, they can't take responsibility, they can't nothing can ever go against them. And it's like the angry drunk dad at the pizza parlor who's like embarrassing his little league son and then decides and now I'm gonna sit here, you know what I mean, Like, just like, how does this end with a person who behaves like this and cannot egos their ego is so out of control, and they're so out of control that like what do you do? And I think Joe Biden's doing the perfect thing, which is he's fucking ignoring him.
Speaker 2: He's just doing the work well.
Speaker 6: And also, yeah, like I was thinking, what if everybody in America, well at least half of America anyway, just contributed to a fund to pay him to leave, Like, we'll give you millions of dollars, just get we'll lay off that massive amount of death.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he'll take it would be worth it for us. He'll take the money. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like I will just pay you out of my own pocket to just never ever see you again.
Speaker 3: It turns out that the money in the briefcase, because we're going to put in a briefcase, we're going to put it out in the front door, so he's actually out of the building. Yeah, that money is paper money, it's not real. And then we get him out.
Speaker 2: But then it's like, fuck it, we don't have to pay a scammer whatever.
Speaker 5: Hah, it's little squares of cheese cloth, sucker.
Speaker 6: You know, maybe I'll make that a highwayman with your permission, because that's a great But I was like epy.
Speaker 5: For sure.
Speaker 3: That is.
Speaker 5: It is my favorite thing when someone throws a fit and they sit and they make themselves stay there, or better they throw a fit and leave and have to come back in, come back because they One time before he had his infamous set where he said terrible things, Michael Richards Kramer from Seinfeld was at the improv. This was like a week before that happened, and he was screaming at Ben Glieber. I remember that. He was like, you're not even on the level. Man. That was so old. He was so angry and he left. He slammed the door and then he came back in. He's like, I left my cell phone somewhere. Can we all can the staff and.
Speaker 2: Let's all get together and help you look for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they found his phone and then he got mad and yelled again and left again. It was the best stage, I'll explain.
Speaker 6: So Ben Leeb used to run this College Humor. Remember that show was like called College Humor or whatever, and it was just a big.
Speaker 5: If I'm not yeah yet, no it is, but it is.
Speaker 6: So Ben was like a twenty six year old guy or whatever who was running this show. And I guess that, uh, when Ben Gleib made the Flyers. He said, Seinfeldt's creamer, And apparently somebody had was supposed to have told Ben that you can't say that. You just say, Michael Richard, you're gonna say Seinfeld because I don't know. He just had to hang up about it.
Speaker 5: He's only proud of his role in ua Ches.
Speaker 6: So even let's say in this scenario, let's just say that Ben Gleib is completely guilty of whatever he was being accused of. It's a twenty six year old guy being yelled at by a fifty year old what multi millionaire.
Speaker 5: He was poking in its chest.
Speaker 6: It's just not a good look, Like, how could something have gone that wrong in your life because of whatever this twenty six year old guy did.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, he had issues for sure, well and in retrospect, clearly he was he was yelling because he wasn't supposed to be on the Flyer. But really what was going on is he should not have been doing stand up comedy. Once he got there, he knew it, and the pressure began to build. So now there's all these people because you're so funny on Seinfeld, because writer's write for you and it's a physical thing, right. He clearly from that fucking set at the laugh Factory, he didn't have an act. He thought he was going to just go up and just be able to kind of just be adored. And he probably got in there and and you were on stage and there's people who it's happened to me many times where you're standing in the back and you're like, oh, fuck, my stuff isn't good enough for this, and you have your you fold internally and you give up and you bum out.
Speaker 2: But he like he didn't even have a thing to rely on, and that's why it got so bad at the other crazy set where he.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can even in the credit of thinking, oh, I'm going to be able to work out anonymously, work out some material, and damn it, there's all these adoring fans. I didn't want that.
Speaker 6: No, I'm mad, Yeah exactly, Like that's the worst case. Yeah, I don't think I have that in me. I've always I've always lash out. No, no, I mean I've always stuck out at the time. But like when a set's going really really bad, like I've always stuck it out, and I've stuck through some really awful ones. I go into a mode, kind of like what you're talking about with Biden. I just ignore them and I just do my act as if it's a speech that i'm doing, and you know, and but but I can't. I've never been somebody to think that I'm the one who's right and they're wrong.
Speaker 5: I've seen what you do. One time. Oh yeah, we were in Little Rock and the audience was terrible, and they they just someone was heckled I can't remember what with. And then Henry was having a terrible set, and then we just kind of got bummed out and he's like, well, you know, as a comic, you just want to kind of make people happy. And I guess tonight I'm not quite doing my job, but I hope your guys night ends up well. And they were all like, oh no, and then they all turned on that lady.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, because this lady was heckling me, and oh yeah, that's right. She said something particular like you know, get off or you suck or whatever. And then that's when I was like, you know, you're probably not even wrong.
Speaker 5: It's like, I just.
Speaker 6: I'm terrible, and maybe this didn't maybe this was a bad idea.
Speaker 5: My pal. Yeah, everybody turned on that lady.
Speaker 6: And afterward, I'm at the lobby and like some some cowboy guy comes up to me and he's like, hey, man, give me two of those CDs and don't don't pay no mine to that lady. She's crazy, you know, and I'm just selling them.
Speaker 5: It was like the end of a you know, one of.
Speaker 6: Those uh Charlie Brown episodes.
Speaker 2: You emotionally manipulated them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, absolutely, And then I go to the next town and do the same thing. You know, I get people to feel sorry for me.
Speaker 5: Oh man, the best.
Speaker 2: Good thing to fold into the highway.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 6: The best thing that happened, though, is one time I was on the road and I had a really, really awful set and people were walking by while I was trying to sell my merchandise, and it's just excruciating. I hate that I ever had to go through this situation. But this one guy came up to me and he looked like Sam Elliott, and he goes, uh, you know something, I think what you're doing is really good, and whether there's people that understand it or not, don't don't listen to them. You keep doing what you're doing because it's good, it's special and I think people eventually are going to know about that, all right, And I'm like, wow, thanks, I felt like so good. And then he said something like.
Speaker 4: Uh, that one about uh don't look now because mama's got her boobs out, and I was like, wait, that wasn't me. That was the guy that was the other guy before me. And then I realized he was given this whole awesome speech to somebody that he.
Speaker 6: Thought was the other guy. Yeah, yeah, he just oh you, Oh no, you suck. Sorry, I'm trying to find the guy I forgot.
Speaker 5: No, it was you. It was your face that I thought was open. It was the other guy's material that I enjoyed. Also in Little Rock, Not to be Well, stories are great about the times we eat it the most. Yeah, god, I got so many.
Speaker 2: I got so many, way too many.
Speaker 5: That's the same funny bone In Little Rock he met we went into a sandwich place named me You left your guitar in there? Oh yeah. He thought he'd lost his guitar, and someone brought in a guitar for him to borrow, and it was do you want to take it over from I don't think I remember, And then and so he had to borrow this guitar, and they made a big deal about it. And then at the end of the show he opened his trunk and the guitar was in the trunk. He just forgot.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was like the I guess we were drinking back then, there was a lot of drinking. Yeah, when you're in a town like that, you enjoyed the local spirits. Well, it's how you get to know the people. Yeah, get to a point where you're allowing the people to yeah, get to know you. Yes, and that got.
Speaker 3: This is just putting me in the mind of all the times I did this agent that booked me in all these college gigs, and I probably had twenty minutes of la comedy, which means in the real world, you have seven minutes of actual, relatable comedy that anyone would give half a shit about. And I was on this tour where I was supposed to be doing an hour and so before every show, I would just be sitting in my room writing out like what the actual chunks I could be doing were, and then places I could possibly go to, just how am I going to do this? And then I'd be like, and I'll do crowd work with this or that. But It's like I was barely a good enough comic to do fifteen minutes, much less work the crowd here and work the crowd.
Speaker 2: And it was so stressful.
Speaker 3: But by the end of the tour, so it started awful, and there was a couple shows where like I owe people money because of how I mean, it was disastrous. I actually, at one point I remember being in this little tiny it almost looked like a It was like a side theater and everything was carpeted inside it, but it was kind of like a diamond shape. So the stage was this triangle that I was standing on and there was probably twenty five seats in this room. And I tried to talk slow and I tried to work the room, but it was dry as a bone in there. And then I just started going, does anybody have any questions about Hollywood?
Speaker 5: Did?
Speaker 3: I didn't have like bits to answer. I was just trying to kill time. It was, I mean, when it's bad, it is the worst fucking experience.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I did those colleges, and you really want them to go to well because the amount of money that you're getting is way disproportional to me.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's like but yeah, they were they were brutal. I stopped. I did like a I did ten of.
Speaker 6: Them in as many days, and I bought I came back to LA and bought a car, and I told them I never ever wanted to do another one of those again. Like I felt dirty, I felt like I wanted to quit. I was just like I got my car. It was just like, you know, just it was so hard. Yeah, it was really really Yeah, it was soul drenching.
Speaker 5: Yeah, even that I don't miss. I of course missed doing stand up, but a lot of people are posting their their acts from before this all was happening, just to keep their Instagram active or whatever. And some of my favorite comics are in front of audiences that still it'll be a club that I like, and they're heckling, they're drunk, they aren't listening, and they're having to deal with crowd work that was flung upon them. I don't miss that at all. You would think the absence would make my heart fond for it. No, No, not at all.
Speaker 3: Well, because because the bad times are the worst, So it's like the good for me and the way I'm set up, the good times are like, even if they're amazing, I just immediately dismissed them as like, nah, fine, good, I got what I wanted. But the bad time I can walk you through, like the time I had to follow Darren Carter who used to be called Darren Carter Starter, And I closed with that uncanny impression of Bert Simpson on a skateboard where he turned his head and looked exactly like the cartoon, and that was his closer with music under follow Darren.
Speaker 2: I was no never.
Speaker 3: He was a he was a died in the wool club comic who talked about super relatable stuff and like, I grew up in this kind of neighborhood, and I here's what I'm like.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 3: He was like by the book, and I was standing over on the side with my like my personal observations about myself, where I was like, I'm fucked, this will not go well.
Speaker 5: There's no observations about myself. Is a great way to describe the comedy I've been trying to do my whole career, and I just feel me. I just realized I been wrong.
Speaker 6: When I did my half hour special. This is uh, I guess two thousand and four or something like that. Dan Natnterman was the guy who did his before, and he is a monster of a comedian. I mean he is just amazing, so funny, fast, relatable, like perfect economy of words everything, and I had to go after.
Speaker 5: Him, and I just remember thinking this irony.
Speaker 6: It's like every laugh that he got like hurt me because I was like, I have to go and try to compete with that, because they're all in that mode and I don't have what he has. I'm going to be pulling it into a whole other place. And as it turns out, my half hour special wasn't that good. I laughed because it sounded like that was gonna be one of those things. As it turned out, it went fine, but no but' but I just remember the irony of going like there's so many happy people and I'm so upset right now. It's like this is so bad, Like, yeah, that was a tough one.
Speaker 2: That's the thing.
Speaker 3: It's the comparison, right, that's fucks everybody else. But it took me so long to learn that all you have to do is have the confidence to know that they don't expect everyone to be the same. You're just there doing your thing. And that's like I had to learn that after years of watching people. Patrick Keane I watched him do this at one time and he had to follow someone did a drop in, someone famous, like fucking David Spade did a drop in.
Speaker 2: Came just fucking it was he wall to.
Speaker 3: Wall destruction, there was no one left alive, and then here comes Patrick Keenan. I was just like, my heart was breaking for him, and he just went rt.
Speaker 2: And brought it all right fucking back. It was masterful.
Speaker 3: And it was him talking slowly, just talking calmly, doing his jokes, playing the reality of the room.
Speaker 2: Whereas if it were me, I'd be like.
Speaker 6: Anyway, the glimmer and the voice. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's what I'd have. Yeah, No, Patrick, well back in the Bitter Redhead. I've seen Patrick, and I mean I've seen him go up for ten minutes with not one person laughing and not even a little bit shaken by it.
Speaker 5: He doesn't speed up his act. He just kind of still looks.
Speaker 6: At the wall and yeah, yeah, you know, yes, I moved out when I was seven, My parents moved out with me, you know, and like he'll just keep doing that same delivery and he doesn't and I can't do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, his stand up lends itself to that. If you're self deprecating and you're playing some sort of an unaware loser on stage, you can it's the best. It's the best. I wish I did what he did. Yeah, and that skill, Chris, you.
Speaker 2: Seem like an unaware loser.
Speaker 5: I thank you. I mean I was sort of fishing for that, and I honestly, I don't have to worry now that do you need ride fans come to shows. I don't have to. I haven't experienced what I'm talking about for a couple of years. I'm lucky.
Speaker 6: Before we get too far ahead, I want to go back because out of context, it sounded awful when I said I saw Patrick do fifteen minutes with nobody left.
Speaker 5: No, but I've seen that it's pretty important for people.
Speaker 2: It's too late.
Speaker 6: Outside of the business and know that he's incredibly funny. I'm just saying that happens to everybody. The amazing part was that he had the skill to keep going that anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, because they do like and this is you know, so inside baseball, but so often, especially throughout the nineties, they couldn't stop putting comedy shows in places where no one wanted a Commis show, so hard enough to do a sound upset at the improv or god forbid, the laugh Factory or somewhere like that. But suddenly now you're at Farfalla on Hillhurst and there's people trying to eat a nice meal and who have paid good money, and all of a sudden you're up there like, well anyway whatever where it's like.
Speaker 2: Get out.
Speaker 5: I mean I would always.
Speaker 2: Get so subconscious for the people. It's like, no one wants this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not good. I met Karen at Lucy's laundromat. We were doing a show to people putting separating their whites like it was absent, with a bathroom behind you. It was the most you did your set in front of a bathroom, unlikely placed to do common man for good re.
Speaker 6: Well that's where that this great line from Charlie Shannon, who's no longer with us, but he was an Austin comic. But somebody told me this story one of the Austin comics, I assume, but about how he he finally realized he was done with Austin when he was opening or no following a mother and daughter comedy team and he was like, yeah, this is just too ridiculous. And he went out to LA and was just hustling and trying to get whatever he gigs he could, and he finally landed the laundromat gig and the night he was there, it was literally the mother and Daughter team and he had to go after him and he's on stage like yeah, oh god.
Speaker 5: He's like, so so.
Speaker 6: Now I'm I'm still following the mother and daughter comedy team, but this time I'm doing it in a laundromat Like that was a very downward move.
Speaker 5: To his credit. It was Melissa and Joan Rivers, yeah, which which is great out their killer No. Yeah, we Over the years, I've seen all these acts just pop up. What dude, you know what?
Speaker 2: That just made me think of at the Improv.
Speaker 3: The improv in the nineties became this place where everyone's agent got hip that they would give you a TV deal if you were a stand up comedian.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So all these actors just started coming in and memorizing monologues. And there was a woman one time, and you know, sorry if you whatever, but she was from the South and she went on stage barefoot, and then it was all the happiest jokes about women and husbands and periods and everything you've ever seen, but also this thing of like she's literally like a barefoot hillbilly.
Speaker 2: And I just remember standing on the side and just going like, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know why I'm here or how I fit into anything that's happening in this town. It doesn't make sense. It's not good. These people love it. I fucking hate it, like I must be in the wrong, Like that thing where you just kind of like, I feel like every time I do this set of comedy, I lost my vision of what the point of my career was supposed to be. Because I would see what was happening and I'd just be like, yeah, I don't do that. What am I gonna do? Yeah?
Speaker 5: What's gonna happen now? But you forged ahead and you took off your shoes and you went up after her.
Speaker 2: There are people going on stage like there was a girl.
Speaker 3: The old eighties version was there was a woman who used to do her whole act wearing her bridal gown because it costs her so much money.
Speaker 2: Shot I remember most use out of it, remember that.
Speaker 3: And then there was a girl that used to go on stage carrying her purse and shopping bags, and it was like this character of like I just love shopping and I just stopped shopping and shit like that where I'm like, ladies, can we get together and make some agreements of what we are and are not going to do on stage? Because this is then I get on stage and I'm just like, did anyone see the igh speed chase?
Speaker 2: And they're like, where's your gimmick?
Speaker 5: We don't got a shit.
Speaker 6: I saw a girl go on one time at the improv and she was kind of doing the ditsy blonde act or whatever, and she goes, ooh, I'm sorry, I just dropped something, and then she turns around and literally bends over so that her skirt comes up and you just see her thong in her ass, and then it's nobody's laughing.
Speaker 5: They're all just like yeah, and then she gets back out. I was like, what was that?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 5: I can't compete with that. I kept going, I mean, that wasn't her closer, No, that was her opener? Oh wow?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, so to get it all right, all right, oh closer? Uh so. But I think the reason to defend La, which I always do because I'm from here, you know, I just feel like LA is whatever people want it to be. Like, there's so many different things going on. Obviously, I remember seeing you at Largo, and that whole scene was the one that I was gravitated to because it was so you know, incredible. But yeah, there was also when you went to like La Cabaret on Ventura Boulevard, there was a whole different world of comedy going on there, and every now and then they would intersect and it was weird. But I feel like other places have a more cohesive Like when you go to the Minneapolis ACME Comedy Club at the open Mit night. There you'll see like thirty comics, but and they're all fantastic, but they all have this You're not going to see like somebody who's like wow, that person looks like a complete it's LA. So you get all these people from making it whatever LA they wanted to be. Like even in New York, Like when I'd go to New York, and maybe it's only the ones the shows that I went to, but there was a cohesiveness there too. Everybody was a certain level of you know, it was always a little bit more fast paced, but there were always jokes and they were solid delivery. And everything, but in la it was really eclectic in terms of the style that people were going for was all over the map.
Speaker 5: At Largo. You guys both used to do Largo a lot right, which to me has always been I didn't.
Speaker 6: I did right toward the end of the old location, and I was so so proud.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it seems like a place that always successfully combined music and comedy, though there's not a lot of places that pulled it off. And you two are both people that also successfully combined music and comedy, and I wonder would you do you feel like if Largo was Was Largo a big part of that for you at least? Karen?
Speaker 2: Yes, for sure.
Speaker 3: I'd like to say the credit full credit for I mean, aside from Flanagan, who's the owner and he has great taste and whatever, and he was smart enough to go, we should be doing comedy here because he you know, he's the one booking all the music. But he was smart enough to pull in Lisa Langing and Lisa Langan when I started in San Francisco in nineteen ninety, she ran the Improv in downtown San Francisco. She was the manager of that club, so she knew all those people, and then she got She got when every there was like a mass exodus in like ninety four, everyone moved to la and she did too. She got a job at Comedy Central, and she was so good at picking talent, like she she she saw Flight of the Concords and brought them over and had them perform at Largo, Like she is one of those people that had such good taste.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I think that she like that she set that table.
Speaker 3: But she also knew that that the kind of quote unquote alternative style could get very much up its own ass and be like use the fact that it wasn't old school club style and then just you're there watching someone read a notebook and it's boring. So she would book those shows like That's how I met Greg Fitzimmons, who is a classic club comic in every way, who can do any kind of show he wants because he's so good.
Speaker 2: He's just such a natural.
Speaker 3: So that it was where I started to learn you don't have to get into this like box. You don't have to tell yourself you do it one way or the other, because the point is stand on stage with confidence and say good jokes. That's all so like that became for me instead of this kind of like you know what I think the cafe thing did, which was make go, here's what I did today, whatever, And instead you got competitive because you were like, well, I want to be at least as funny as the person who went on before me. Me personally, I was always like I need to win the whole thing or whatever, so I just be like out of my mind. But it was a good Like I think she pulled in all these people that kind of for me taught me what good comedy actually is, how it actually works, and that's authenticity and confidence and.
Speaker 5: Like so funny to me that it took halfway through my career to find out that confidence was a big part of being successful, right, I really even my character on stage was someone that was pretending not to have confidence, so I would have to confidently do that when I was stammering and making mistakes. What an obstacle I made for myself. I don't know why I did the confidence. I still need to remind myself. They want to see you be confident, not just funny. It's like, yeah, that's what I am.
Speaker 6: It's probably like a very obvious example, but like if you're on a plane and the pilot, whatever personality they may have, the one you don't want is for them to be like, uh yeah, okay, not really sure.
Speaker 5: Exactly what a lot of this.
Speaker 6: I'm like the worst when it comes to flying, and it's like, no, I want you to be really good, you know. But I don't think that's such a crazy analogy, because it's like, in any situation, you want the person that is driving the whole thing to be good at what they do, even if their act is being completely you know, self deprecating.
Speaker 5: That's a different thing. But I guess I've always put a thin line between cockiness and confidence. And I always appreciated when people were good at what they do, but they let you find out about it. They didn't tell you they were good or put on some vibrado. You're just watching them. They're like, Wow, this is the best pilot I've ever seen fly and he's hardly said anything except buckle your seat belt and uh. And so I always want people to find out that I'm confident. But you kind of got to put it on a little. You have to pretend a little at night, and I have.
Speaker 3: To tell you, guys, as a female comic, you have to do it even more because people you walk on stage and people get afraid for you about what other people are going to start doing. I hate there's a real weird vibe change if you're like first, if youre comics, go and then it's you I did, they get real like you almost hear.
Speaker 2: People start talking or whatever, and it's like a little bit like that.
Speaker 3: And if you I found and at least this was my impression that if you don't immediately have like boom boom, if you can't just go dude, dude, I made you laugh twice. Now we're doing this, yeah, they if you, if I took any time at the top, it would unwind way quicker than if a guy was doing it, because I because I believe there's a lot of people who just be like, oh no, she shouldn't be doing you know, it's like protect her kind of mental So I would come up and just be a fucking asshole most of the time, or just be like blah blah blah, you this, get that off the table or whatever, and just be like this is my house. Even though it was completely fake. It was all this kind of fake confidence and aggression. But it was the way to say, don't fucking worry about me, I will take care of this kind of thing. It felt, it felt very necessary.
Speaker 5: I'm glad that I've seen that changing for the better over the year, for sure, But it's about goddamn time and we're going backwards in enough other ways.
Speaker 6: So uh yeah, no, I mean, but it's funny because these are the old cliche of it's like, can you learn that in a class? Can somebody tell you on week one? Always be confident? It's like, yeah, you kind of have to learn it. You have to learn why you have to do it.
Speaker 3: You know, It's like yes, and what it means to you because like how you would if you watch Patrick Keane, you'd go, he's confident, but he also kind of seems like he doesn't care. Yeah, it comes out in these different ways, which are funny in themselves because that's what it's like. That's the authentic part, is like I don't care what you think of me.
Speaker 2: But then also here's a little of this other thing.
Speaker 5: That's the one, like confidently pretending you don't care, that's the that's the goal.
Speaker 6: It's like they make no mistake for people out there that you can't just be confident.
Speaker 5: It's not enough. You also have to have a humor. Yeah, yeah, because I've said.
Speaker 2: To have at least seven solid jokes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've been that that person who's way too.
Speaker 6: Confident and they have nothing is like, oh come on, oh come on you guys. Look at this guy's looking at me like that. It's like you just didn't say anything.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like, can I tell you my favorite? And I know I've told the story on this, but.
Speaker 5: It's been eight years. We just found out this is this.
Speaker 3: Is my favorite moment of the confidence issue and the me interpreting that is like kind of like aggression or bitchiness, which is very nineties. I mean that that's what everything was like back then. But there was this one night, and I believe it was me be on stage after Darren Carter Party Starter and you know, the I'm three jokes in eating it, but I'm telling them im median, you know what I mean, Like, there was no way I was going to get up there interpret interpret anything is success because he just leveled it, So anything was going to seem worse and bad compared to how great he did. So I doing, you know, like whatever, my first three jokes are and it's like fart, fart, fart, and.
Speaker 2: Then I hear a beep to my left.
Speaker 3: You know in the improv, you know, people are kind of around you, not just in front of.
Speaker 5: You by hold by a pacemaker. I'm guessing.
Speaker 3: I turn and I go, oh, I'm sorry you a doctor? Is that your beeber? Do you have to go?
Speaker 5: Do you have to go? Deliver it?
Speaker 2: At eighty and I just like went off on this guy.
Speaker 3: And I literally said like seven sentences like I overdid it out of this kind of like I'm I'm eating it and I hate everyone. And then he just held up his wrist and what is my watch?
Speaker 5: Was so great?
Speaker 2: It was just I think I did one more joke in them.
Speaker 3: Left because I was just like, I'm not okay, Like I can't stand up anymore.
Speaker 2: This is fucking George. And he didn't.
Speaker 3: He was the worst part was he wasn't mean about it. He's trying to be nicer.
Speaker 2: Just my watch. I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 5: I can see myself getting taking it further. Well, why would you buy a watch like that? And why would you wear it? Oh God, I'm dying.
Speaker 2: I'm dying, that's like, literally.
Speaker 6: When you say that they're not trying to be mean, that's almost the worst. Like, uh, there was a guy, Chuck Bartel.
Speaker 5: Do you know him.
Speaker 6: I remember that extremely funny one liner guy like that. Hegburg kind of style and he was up one night, but he would he was not immune to having bad sets. It was one of those things where like if it started off wrong, then it all went wrong, you know. But he was so funny. But I remember, right in the middle of a bad late Friday show or whatever, he did a joke and then he did just that little bit of commenting on how bad the response was. He said something like, you know, boy, maybe I'm not as good as this as I thought, or something like that. And this lady in the audience is like she sounded like she might have been sixty five years old, but she's just.
Speaker 5: Like, well, it's hard. Like that was just like and he's just like, all right, I want to kill myself. This is so great. It's hard.
Speaker 6: It was like, oh boy, you did not because there's like it's completely sincere.
Speaker 5: You know, my god, nobody's trying to be mean. That is the best. I like that. Oh, Henry, you have a dinner to go to and we've Yeah, I want you to be able to get out of here and not disappoint you friends and family. But is it fun there? Yeah? I've been uh yeah, thank you for any questions about Hollywood? Yeah, if I does Losiena go really direction? Does it go? Okay?
Speaker 2: I just an apartments?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we're a realtor? Or how much your parking tickets? Will my dreams come true? I love the idea people.
Speaker 3: It's like jam any question about Hollywood and they literally they immediately assume that it's about the city itself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly how is money allocated with parks and recreation? Does that come out of a municipal? Okay?
Speaker 3: Is there a comptroller for Elliot itself?
Speaker 5: Comptroller? No one controller, but there's one in every city.
Speaker 6: How long before because we've become such a dystopian wasteland lately with just like if you go losien again Pico and it's like everything's boarded up, people are wearing masks. There's just people walking around aimlessly. And at what point does like that La La story kind of stereotype changed, Like if you're going to pitch something like, well, I wants this to be sort of an LA stereotype, and it's like, oh really, okay, so just like Red Sky from the Fire and then just sort of like it, like they're picturing more of a blade runner thing or something like that. The whole LA thing seems to be moving away from us right now.
Speaker 5: I hope it comes back, but it's not.
Speaker 6: Like the rollerblading and the thong bikini kind of stereotype anymore right now.
Speaker 5: Although I did just take a masked headshot, a new headshot with a mask, oh yeah, just to the Times. Yeah smart, yeah, thank you. Yeah, I'm smart, confident. I'm gonna I'm gonna end this thing because it's been so great. I can only und it from here or one of you guys. Thanks, thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Karen.
Speaker 5: It's so funny.
Speaker 6: It's so great to talk to you, to you because you've always been one of my favorites. Yeah you you too, Yeah right, oh absolutely, yeah, yeah, there's a there's a thing. Also, we've had so many parallel experiences.
Speaker 5: Is amazing. When you're talking about all this stuff, I'm like, wow, yeah, I really think Karen's gonna make it. Thank you, and we're gonna let's go get something neat we're gonna go. Uh you've been watch the Highwayman.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do it right now.
Speaker 6: We patreon dot com slash Highwayman Show and you'll see the teaser on there. And there's a free episode on YouTube called Boots the Clown.
Speaker 5: Yes, and I just watched it and I loved it so much. And you can see him also as my real life friend Henry Phillips. You've been listening to Do you Need a Ride? D yn are.
Speaker 1: Nice?
Speaker 5: I leaving on?
Speaker 1: You wanna way back?
Speaker 5: Either way?
Speaker 1: We want to be there, doesn't matter how much baggage you us time and turman On and Gabe, we want to send you.
Speaker 2: Off INSTI do you wanna welcome.
Speaker 5: You back home?
Speaker 1: Tell us all about it?
Speaker 3: We scared?
Speaker 2: He was it fine?
Speaker 1: Melbourn?
Speaker 5: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 5: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 5: Do you need with Karen and Chris