Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: A woman kills the man that kidnapped and killed her daughter, and then she does it again and again and again and again and again. It's Reducs Reducs on Hulu.
Speaker 3: I'm that singer, and I'm Jordan Hoffman, and I'm pretty sure the movie is called Redo Redo, but we'll get to that in a moment.
Speaker 2: Anyhow, With more May Redo and I say, reduc.
Speaker 3: Hey, I gotta read the opening bit, with more, most story series, more stuff coming straight to streaming. Ever then before it's time for a podcast that keeps track of it all. On that podcast, as you know, Film Spotting SVU. This week we've got a review of Redu Reduce, plus some Odyssey talk Yo Yo Yo Homer in the house, plus some streaming res so yeah already, some new to VOD streaming titles, and a new game. Who's doing the game this week? Is it you or is it Sam?
Speaker 2: I don't know anything. You just said yo yo yo, Homer in the house, I briefly lost my soul, left my body.
Speaker 3: Homeboy, Homer, No stop, no stop, All right, it's all coming up. All of it is coming up. On Film Spotting SMA SVU.
Speaker 2: Oh God, welcome to Film Spotting SVU. I met Singer. Later in the show, we will answer a listener request for a streaming recommendation for a lesser known heist film. Spoiler alert, it's Oceans thirty. No, I'm just kidding. And this week's aime, which producer Sam is calling multi box letter verse.
Speaker 3: Wow cool. All right, Well, the other thing and we're gonna mention this week's pick of a streaming movie is Hulu. The good old Hulu gang has a multiverse thriller called I don't know. I pronounced it Redo Redo. Matt Singer says it's Redus Reducs.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going off of one of a very well known movie, Apocalypse now, Reducs. Do you say apocalypse now? Redo?
Speaker 3: The answer is yes, I do. Actually, I don't know. I just assume that it's the Silent X it's a little.
Speaker 2: I always have a set. Maybe I've been a philistine and a moron for the last sever many years. I've always said apocalypse. Now reeks, when you walk into you need let producer Sam, please, can you we need someone to adjudicate this?
Speaker 3: What what reducs? All right?
Speaker 2: You're I think the only solution is to just not say the name of this movie from now on.
Speaker 3: Get your reducts in a row. Now, why don't we have the listeners right to feedback at film Spotting SVU dot com and tell me is r E d ux? Is it redo or reducts? Also, when you walk into a fancy house and you first come in the main room, you know when there's at umbrella stand and you wipe your feet. Are you in a foyer or a foyer?
Speaker 2: I would say a foyer or I might say a foyer. I don't know, Well, so this I might say either one.
Speaker 3: If you do it twice.
Speaker 2: Hard lemonades have I had? Then I walk in this room? How many white claws have if you.
Speaker 3: Go into two foyer, is it's a foyer? Redo?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: All I can tell you is the movie is coming. We're gonna talk about it. But first sure bulletin a bulletin from twenty five hundred b C. Is this guy. His name is Odysseus. He slept all the way to Troy and then he have GPS and he could not make it home. Meanwhile, other guys wentished up his wife and she's played by Anne Hathaway, So who can blame them? And the movie is The Odyssey and it's the only thing people are talking about right now. Now we are the streaming video unit, we have no prisons talking about the Odyssey, but the Odyssey will stream someday, so we figured I got to get it off my chest.
Speaker 2: I love her movie, Jordan is so now I want to ask this because I look, I saw The Odyssey and I liked it. I would have no problem not talking about it. Today Jordan cannot not talk about the Odyssey. He has been texting me like memes that he creates. He's texting me bad Odyssey jokes, yeah bad. He thought his Yo yo yo Homer in the house was bad. You should see some of the things he's texting me. So I'm just gonna you really want to talk? So what is it about this movie that has so captivated your imagination?
Speaker 3: Jordan. Well, it's a couple things. One is I want to apologize to my ninth grade teacher because I never I didn't read the book when she assigned it to me. I sat in class and paid attention enough so that I was able to pass the class and do well, But when I was supposed to go home and read it, I never did. I tried the first page. I was like, what the hell is going on? Single muse of a man? Ah, come on is I'm gonna go watch Star Trek so I feel like a bit of a bozo. And as I'm watching it, and the Iliad too, we were assigned the Iliad, and this movie is a hodgepodge of the Iliad, the Odyssey, and also a little bit of the a Enid, which is not Homer. That's some other guy.
Speaker 2: Virgil was ned Flanders. I think did that one.
Speaker 3: While I'm watching this movie, I going, oh, yeah, I remember that from ninth grade. I Ah, that guy that sounds familiar. Yeah, the swine Herd. I remember the swine Herd. I was like, oh, that's kind of cool. Why didn't I pay attention to this in class? I felt like a shmo And I.
Speaker 2: Look, really the reason you're so captivated by.
Speaker 3: But I loved the one other things I loved when there's the mentor character to young telemachus Us and then Odysseus says, and then spoiler for five thousand you know year old story, one thousand year old stories, spoiler alert when mentor gets killed and Telemachus is said, and then you don't really hear his name, and then Odysseus calls him mentor and he's the mentor, and I'm like, oh, I kind of remember that from ninth grade. That's where that word comes from. I forgot all that. So I'm in the audience by myself watching this movie, just like laughing at myself for being a dumbass. So I don't know, No, I really, I'm all kidding. Say I'm a Nolan Stan Everyone's got a right to be a stand of us. So you love Jim Katta, I love I love Christopher Nolan, and I.
Speaker 2: Love Christopher Nolan's movies too, But I'm not sending you memes at all hours of the night.
Speaker 3: I really was captivated, is the word I I was just I had high expectations and they were met and they were crossed. I was just loved it. I just loved every moment of it. It's my favorite movie of the year, and it's the best movie of its kind since Oppenheimer, which was the best movie of its kind since Tenants, which was the what is its kind?
Speaker 2: It's not like Oppenheimer in terms of genre.
Speaker 3: Well, it's now to be serious, and I feel it that it and Oppenheimer and Tennant and a lot of the other Nolan films, they do have great commonalities in their form and thematics. Yes, thematically, but also just the very way you kind of jump right in the close ups, the cutting back and forth through time, but also just the propulsive editing. I think this woman who's his editor, Jennifer Lame, and she's anything, but let me tell you, I feel that she is really his secret weapon because God knows how much crazy footage he's shooting with these giant cameras the size of a refrigerator and dumping in her lap. It's a three hour movie that doesn't really take breath. It just key movement, and the same with with Interstellar, with with with Tenant especially is I mean just a perfect movie. I think Tenant is great and I know you. I saw your ranking on screencrutch dot com. You said that was like his eighth best film. Yes, I was gonna that was gonna scream at you. You said you ranked his films and you put I believe you put uh the al Pacino one.
Speaker 2: Last, right, Yeah, I think that's right, yes.
Speaker 3: Which which I guess something's gotta be last. And then you said follow last. Yes, I would probably put following dead last, and then the al Pacino one Insomnia and then go from there. But then like you had one other one, probably Dark Knight Rises, and then you put Tenant and I was like that singer, I can't believe I allow you in my life with these kinds of opinions.
Speaker 2: It was a movie I understand less every time I watch it, and I've seen it many times.
Speaker 3: I have this no possible way to understand that movie. It's that's part of what's so good anyway. So I really liked it. But you know what, here's the thing. So it's an emergency session because Odyssey is all anybody's talking about. I want the listeners to write in, to write into feedback at film Spotting SVU dot com, And next week we're gonna have a special Odyssey episode we'll we talk about the movie a little bit more in depth. I'm gonna see it again. Between now and then, we're gonna be talk I'm gonna be wearing armor and eating feta cheese, very Greek, and we're gonna.
Speaker 2: Have Thank God, Riverside isn't smell a vision, That's all I have to say.
Speaker 3: And we're gonna talk about Odyssey as if it were like that. You know, we're gonna do rec segs based on Odyssey in some way, maybe our favorite you know, Robert Pattinson Villain rolls or something. I don't know, but that's gonna be next week's special edition. Odestly because it's the movie of the year. I mean, it made a bazillion dollars at the box office.
Speaker 2: Also, it didn't make that much money. It did well.
Speaker 3: It made more opening weekend than Oppenheimer did, and that made a billion dollars in the long run.
Speaker 2: Did it even make more than Toy Story five did a couple of weeks ago. We didn't. We didn't stop the presses to talk about Toy Store.
Speaker 3: I believe that when this is done, it's.
Speaker 2: This the civilization that tells the end of No.
Speaker 3: When When When Otisi is out of when Odyssey is out of theaters. I believe it's total box office tally will be comparable to Oppenheimer's. I don't know that it'll surpass it, but it'll be comparable in the same general ballpark, which is close to a billion dollars, I think. I think Oppenheimer ultimately made like didn't quite make a billion and made like nine hundred and ninety eight million or something like that. Anyway, So that's next week's that's the fans are excited. They're out there right now. They're they're they're stretching, they're they're.
Speaker 2: Banging down the gates of Joy episode exactly.
Speaker 3: So that's exciting. Okay, But now let's talk about this week's movie, which producer Sam and I defer to him. The word that I until formally called redo is pronounced reducks like the Mighty Ducks.
Speaker 2: You didn't just pronounce it that way. You shoul shamed me for saying it the right way I did.
Speaker 3: I called you a fool, and it was I who was the fool, much much like Odysseus when he when he turned his back on Poseidon and then he got screwed. That's how I feel we have.
Speaker 2: There's so many lessons that this film imparts to the modern the modern viewer.
Speaker 3: Re Ducks is pronounced re ducks. The word is derived from Latin, meaning brought back or returning, much like Odysseus coming back from true. Oh, Mike, go the first The first syllable sounds like rea in the second rhymes with ducks, So.
Speaker 2: The listeners can't hear me. Hear me doing it. But I wonder if the mic is picking up me rubbing my temples violently every time he mentions Odysseus.
Speaker 3: A temple much like the temple to Athena that was sacked at Troy when they broke Zeus's law. Those bastards.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to this review.
Speaker 3: All right, good good, good good.
Speaker 5: Traveling through the multiverse looking for my daughter, you know.
Speaker 4: For around here, no great, neither am I looking.
Speaker 6: For a world for she wasn't kidnapped and murdered. You lost your daughter. It was a long time ago.
Speaker 5: She's been dead in all of them.
Speaker 6: So I just keep killing the bastard to.
Speaker 2: This her revenge is an intimate act. No one swears revenge because a guy they met once in line at stop and shop got mugged. The victim needs to be a loved one. It is by definition a family affair, and that certainly lends an interesting twist behind the camera to Redux, reducts, or, as Jordan likes to call it, redo, Redo.
Speaker 3: Never again, I won't do it again now I.
Speaker 2: Know, which is a high concept combo of sci fi film and revenge picture. It was directed by brothers Ca and Matthew McManus, and it stars their sister, MICHAELA McManus. She plays a woman out for a unique but very intimate sort of revenge after her daughter is murdered by a sadistic short order cook in a world where technology exists that allows people to jump between universes. She sets out across the multiverse trying to find a world, any world, where her daughter is still alive. She visits countless worlds, and in every single one, her daughter is dead. So she seeks out said short order cook and kills him, and kills him, and kills him and kills him. She hops from one universe to the next and repeats this process over and over again. Reducs after Reducs after Redo after Redo. Now it's an undeniably inventive twist on a very familiar sort of film. But Jordan, and here's my question for you, do it. Does the filmmaking family in this case that made Redux Reducs have the chops to live up to their very inventive concept. Or is the fact that this familial revenge movie was made by three siblings amount to little more than a great sales pitch for a so so movie.
Speaker 3: M Okay. My answer to your question, straight up yes or no, is Yes. This movie is good and it's worth your time, and you have Hulu, so you might as well watch it. Anyhow. It's pretty short too, It's like ninety seven minutes or so. I would say it's not as good as the movie I'm about to mention, But it did remind me of it because it's low budget, it's pretty smart, and it involves people getting in a box. So remind me of Primer a little bit. Did you have Primer vibes from the Stora?
Speaker 2: It's hard not to think about Primer if you know that film and you watch this one.
Speaker 3: Yes, No, Primer's in a different universe because Primers really brainiac movie. Some would say it's similar to Memento in the way it's so crazy and you got to think about it hard. But this is much more fun, and I really like the central character played by the sister McManus. And you know, it teases just enough of the world that you buy it. But it doesn't you know, it doesn't know the It doesn't know how this thing works because this thing doesn't exist. Nobody knows how this thing works. So it just just tells you enough to buy the premise. I thought the lead actress was quite good, but there really aren't any stars in this film. There are some twists and turns, though when you learn a little bit about one of the twists, this isn't giving too much away. Is that you just kind of assume, I don't know, Matt, maybe you did too. You assume that the movie began in our universe, right, like didn't You just kind of assume, like, oh, she's popping around, like at the beginning, we see like a montage for kill people. But you just assume that the initial transgression happened in our universe and she figured out a way to move around, and then later it kind of dawns. He was like, no, she she grew up in some other realm. You know where where sci fi googlews exist. And that was a very interesting take. I thought that, like, you know, our base of reality and her base of reality were different. We don't know when she visits our universe, you know, Like I say, she kills this guy a lot. It's a little gruesome actually. And then there's a nice, you know message to the film, which is, you know, eventually, man, you know, hate it'll eat you up.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: Revenge is you know, is not you know, it's maybe not so good that, you know, kill the person who killed your daughter once, but don't kill him one hundred and eighty five times. But then of course she meets someone along her travels who becomes a surrogate daughter to her. Sure, and this is where I really hopem debating whether or I should bring this up Here goes because when it's a low budget movie like this, there's it possibility that the people who made this film more important than people who were in this film might actually listen to this podcast. So here we go. I really like the movie, and I think that the young woman who played the surrogate daughter as an actress by name is Stella Marcus. I think she's very talented. She was miscast in this film. This is a low budget movie made in Canada. You know they you know Canada. I mean, come on, they barely have running water up there, so what they I'm making a joke. So it's a low budget film from Canada. So they made they went to the war with the army they had, right, So they cast this young woman who was good. But she's supposed to be like, you know, a tough chick from the streets, and she's seen a lot and done a lot. And this this actress, young woman, she looks not like that. You know. It's just it just was not the right casting, and it did bother me. Normally I just roll with it. I suspend my disbelief, like, oh yeah, right, she doesn't look like like she's had it too rough, but okay, I really had a hard time buying her in this role. Young, young, young Stella. The next movie you're in, when you're gonna get cast in something more appropriate, you're gonna shine, You're gonna be great. You got a great career ahead of you. And to the directors that put her in the film, I'm sure she was the best you saw. So nothing you can do. This was for me a little bit of a It did bother me, Like I'm like, every time she's on screen, I'm going ash, she's wrong for the part. She's wrong for the part. But I still like the movie and I really recommend it. Recommend it. Did you feel that she wasn't so hot in this in this role?
Speaker 2: Also? I thought she was fine. I think the thing that resonated with me from what you said was about suspending your disbelief. I didn't necessarily have as much of a problem with her, but I think, well, I thought overall, I thought it was a pretty well done, you know, very low budget movie, and with whatever they had available, they did a fine job it. You know, I think you can't help but think about Primer, as you mentioned, based on the premise, and also like that there's this box that is the all important thing that they used, you know, instead of time travel, it's it's it's multiversal time, you know, dimension jumps. But it is just a big box. But the problem with that comparison is like I feel like with Primer, a movie that I don't adore, but it's like the more you think about Primer, the more like it kind of it's like a fun puzzle to twist around in your head. And this movie, I think the more you think about it, the less you're gonna get out of it. It's not that sort of film. It's like this box, right, the box. The box winds up in vans, it winds up in in in hotel rooms, and there are times and there are times where it's like it like lands in like the middle of the street.
Speaker 3: Right, and we got it.
Speaker 2: We got to get this thing. This thing must weigh six thousand pounds. And these two women, how are the lifting it? How are they moving? And how do they get anywhere? And you know you mentioned that you kind of expected that, Okay, well this movie is she must have started in our world. Yeah, and somehow it started jumping around, found this device or whatever. And we really don't get a ton of information about this this what did you call it? A gigga googaw? Yeah, a googaw. That's one of the big competitors to Bazouga. We haven't talked about it before, but it's it's another it's an up and comer in the streaming space is Googaw. But what we as you mentioned, like you sort of eventually realize, well, no, she's from a much different place that has incredible technology. But every other universe that we see in this movie looks exactly like our world, right, so there's there every universe looks like ours except the one that she comes from, which apparently is like a sci fi paraise.
Speaker 3: Like I was thinking that too, that it was like, there should be like one time where she jumps and it rains donuts, like on the Simpsons episode where Homer went to the donut raining.
Speaker 2: Now you could say I am nitpicking, and you're probably right, but my point is this movie works best sort of only at the sort of we're using this as an excuse to tell like an emotional story. Yeah, and I make on that level, yes, And on that level it works, and I thought it was effective. Yeah, And it is a smart use of like multi versus to tell a story about grief and about trauma and all those sorts of things. The metaphor works where it'll it'll start to kind of fall apart. Is if you kind of if you're not if you don't get hooked by that, you're you could be in trouble because like trying to kind of make sense of what's happening in a like does this all add up. I'm not so sure that it does, but I think if it's it is a again you have to suspend your disbelief and if you can do that, I thought it was a pretty solid little plucky, little Indie Taylor.
Speaker 3: It's a good festival film. It's a great calling card film. If I ran a studio, I get all these I get these kids in an office and see what they want to do next.
Speaker 6: I can't quit.
Speaker 3: The action is good. I think the last sequence, the final Girls sequence at the end, I thought that was really well done. It was became a good horror movie at the end. Also, it opens really sharp. Like the beginning, Like I mentioned this before, it has.
Speaker 2: A very catchy beginning.
Speaker 3: I agree, violent as hell, also a very exiting and she's running around and she's stealing a truck and all this stuff. I mean, these guys have the goods.
Speaker 2: And they and I will give them credit. Also, you know, as you said, like they just kind of throw you into it. There's you're just totally disoriented to start, and that is fun. I've been in the middle of reading Frank Miller's new memoir called Push the Wall. Frank Miller, the creator of Sin City and the writer and artist of the Dark Knight returns and many many great comic books. It's a really good book. And he has a chapter it's about his life, but it's also about making art and comics, and he gives some very few but a couple of rules of storytelling. And one of his rules is start your story as late in the story as possible. Yeah, and this is a perfect example of that, and it does, and it shows why it's effective instead of like explaining, and probably because they just couldn't afford to show whatever universe this lady came from, they start with her already on this this endless quest of killing the same person over and over and what's happening and why is she doing this? And that is really fun to try to piece that out. And I give them total credit for the way it starts. It's very effective. And then yeah, as you learn more, it also works. And MICHAELA. McManus does give a really good performance. And so yeah, all of that stuff I thought. I thought the strongest part of the movie really was the first like fifteen twenty minutes or so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that really kicks it. And then the ending I think is good to you. So I recommend it. I mean it's a little different. It's it's one of those movies that like, nobody's talking about except for us, so make more.
Speaker 2: They don't know how to pronounce the title. How could they talk about it?
Speaker 3: I mean I watched you with my wife and she enjoyed it too. She thought it was it was pretty cool. And yeah, it's like a little gem. It's a little indie gems. It's not am not gonna be on anybody's end of the year best lists, but it is something you're not.
Speaker 2: Sending me any Redux Reducks memes at eleven thirty at night. No, No, let's put that before we wrap up. I know we don't want to have a We didn't.
Speaker 3: We don't.
Speaker 2: We didn't want to go on too long. We have a lot to talk about this week. Yes, I did want to say one one thing that irked me. I mean, it is in this movie, but it is it is more that I'm just sick of this trope? Can I can I throw this out? Can I get on a soapbox here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I am not a huge fan. I feel like in every Revenge movie and I didn't write down examples, and I don't have any to like site. But I just feel like this is something I've seen too much the Revenge movie, where someone is on an end list quest for revenge. I must do this, I must get revenge. I must, I must, And then they encounter someone at the beginning of a potential quest for revenge and they are like, you know, you don't want this, you don't you know, don't do this right, which is a thing that happens in this movie with the character of Mia, for various reasons, has her own want desired, a reason to want revenge, and so as she falls in with the Michayla mcmannon's character Irene, you know, it sort of is a you know, like you know, she kind of takes her under her wing, but she also is like, you know, you know, it's almost like the walk Hard.
Speaker 3: Don't be like me, don't be like me.
Speaker 2: It's like the walk Hard scene where John c Ryley you don't want yeah, exactly. Tim Medow is like, you don't want none of this? Is it expensive? It's the cheapest drug there is. You don't want none of it. I am sick of the character want the character who is on an endless quest of revenge telling someone you don't want none of this now? But do they stop? Do they again? I don't want to spoil the end of this movie here.
Speaker 3: Like they do want You don't want this.
Speaker 2: I mean, excuse me while I go kill ten more people because I have to. It's just that, to me is a very played out trope and I don't.
Speaker 3: Well, for first of all, Walkhart has ruined movies. I mean no, you can't take any movie seriously post Walkcard and Walkard just destroyed the whole the whole medium. But you're right, it's like, you know, I have a friends. It's a bit. It's like you know somebody who like had spent their youth doing drugs and you know, betting women and living like a crazy person and later comes out and is sober, and it's like, you don't want to live what I live through. It's like, I don't know, it sounds kind of fun from here what you were doing, I'd like to I'd like to find out for myself. So yeah, it is. It is a funny thing. And but yes it is played out, like you know, don't be like but again it's played out, but it's what this character's be. It made you know, I bought it because I liked the performance and I like the general premise. You're right, I had the walk hard thought to it during that exact moment, but I said, you know what, I'll give them a break because I felt it. I mean, I just watched this woman murder a man seventeen times and because he torture her daughter, sure, and I kind of felt it. So it was like, you know what.
Speaker 2: At this point, it just feels like a scene that people throw in because they feel like they have to include a scene like that.
Speaker 3: And I mean it's unfortunate because I think this movie earned it. I feel this movie earned that scene, whereas some other examples don't. But I but you're right, it's just that they I wish there was a different spin because that, Yeah, that's what the point of this movie is. Revenge doesn't solve anything. It's this movie's anti death penalty. You know, killing the guy who kills your loved one isn't gonna help. But you need to come to that conclusion on your own. And she comes to it after traveling the multiverse and strangling him one hundred times. I mean, that's it is a yes.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I one hundred percent agree that that is the message of the movie. Where any movie where you've murdered someone thousands of times and then I don't know that it's necessarily saying that that that it's bad, but.
Speaker 3: Well that's what she's come through, is that she's she has to stop, she has to stop the cycle of violence. Man, as we all do. You know, let's get Putin and Zelensky to watch Redus reducts in the world to be a better place.
Speaker 2: All right, fair enough, Well, if they want to watch it, they can do so on Hulu.
Speaker 3: That's right, they have Hulu out there and Kiev and Moscow and peace to the world.
Speaker 7: How do you know where I am?
Speaker 8: Anymore?
Speaker 2: We're moving on to everyone's favorite segment to say, if not to actually participate in. It, is the recommendation segment, also known as e works.
Speaker 3: All right, you got annoyed at me for saying homeboy Homer in the house and you're screaming and yelling about reck what Jordan?
Speaker 2: You know what you did?
Speaker 3: I know you know what you did? You know what? The movie Reducks, Reducks, which I will now pronounce the correct way, is quite good and it did make me think of some other films that I would like to recommend that.
Speaker 2: Ironically, all your picks were movies with titles with a silent X I've now established is not accurate. No, sorry, what is your what's your recommendation?
Speaker 3: All right, here we go. I'm going for a biggie. The last couple of weeks I've been not no pussy footing around. When I have an opportunity, When I have an opportunity to just nail it and slam it out of the park, I'm gonna do it right. Recent recommendations include big ass movies like The in Laws, Amadeis, What's Up Duck? These are some of my favorite movies of all time, and here it comes again, Reducks. Reducks is about a woman who has to take extraordinary science fiction methods to save what she thinks, save the world, save her life, correct a great wrong. I know. A story about a group of people who are facing eternal existential destruction planetary destruction in fact, and the only way that they could have solved the problem were to take their vessel sling shot it around the sun.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't happen to be a nuclear vessel by any chance.
Speaker 3: Sling shot around the sun. Go back in time, get a humpback whale, bring it forward in time. And they need to that's true. They need to Georgie and.
Speaker 2: Grant please a little respect.
Speaker 3: They have to get two humpback whales, drop them in the tank at Paramount in Los Angeles and have them talk to a probe. And that movie, of course, is truly one of the most foundational films in my life. Changed my life forever. When I saw it in the theater, Star Trek for the Voyage Home. Now, I was not.
Speaker 2: Get the red alert sound effects. Please play it, play it here it comes. It's a whole segment of Star Trek Talk Go Space, the Final Frontier.
Speaker 3: When I saw Star Trek for the Voyage Home in Featers, I was trek curious. I really didn't know much about it. I had one friend he liked the show because his dad was a fan, and I'd like seen it a little bit in his basement, but like we'd kind of catch it halfway through. He's like, you don't know, Star Trek. This is good. He was from Long Island, so he talked like that. So I knew it. But I also knew that it was a thing that people made fun of because it was for dorks and dwebs, which it is. But somehow I got to see this movie.
Speaker 2: I was there.
Speaker 3: I don't even know who I went with the first time. I don't think I was with my I think I was alone. I don't know. I was like twelve thirteen. Somehow I saw this movie. I don't know. It was such a deep important thing that I just like, I just it just sort of touched my very essence that I don't remember getting there and I don't remember who I was with, But when I left, I still remember being in the theater, and I remember some of the laughs that Bones got. I remember, I mean the scenes at the beginning were Bones and Spokers zinging each other.
Speaker 4: There is one possibility, but of course I cannot guarantee success. We could attempt to find some humpback whales. You just said there aren't any except on Earth of the past, Yes, Donga, that is exactly what I said. Well, in that case, no, wait, just to dance, Bock, start your computations for time work.
Speaker 3: I saw them moving to the theater like three or four times, and I started watching the original series of Star Trek on TV because it was always on reruns at the time, it was Channel eleven in the New York New Jersey area at eleven PM, and I would It's not supposed to stay that late, so I would say I'm going to bed, and then sneak into the guest room where we had a very small television, and I would watch Star Trek. And then X amount of months later the Next Generation began, So I saw that from the beginning. So I was watching TOS for the first time simultaneously while watching Next Generation, and it sent me into a not very standard orbit. Let me tell you sent me. It changed my life. I mean, it really did. So I don't know. I mean there are still some people I still meet some people in my life Matt Singer where they go like, oh yeah, Star Trek. Like now it's not It used to be quite stigmatized. You could not go to school and tell your friends you watch Star Trek. You get beat up because you were a nerd. Right nowadays people know, you know this is the post Marvel. You know it's him to be square, as they say.
Speaker 2: Now, I just assume people don't care. Kids in school do they care anymore?
Speaker 3: I think there are still things that if you went to a school and you watch something really geeky, they would still beat you up. Maybe they would just find a way to beat beat you up anyway.
Speaker 2: I mean, bullies will be bullies. I just think I would imagine that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't even know what Star Trek? What is Star Trek?
Speaker 3: I know they're not, they're not.
Speaker 2: Who is this man in a bathrobe with a uh with a with a headband covering the tops of his ears? Who is this man?
Speaker 3: His name is Buck?
Speaker 2: Why are they talking about beaming? What is beaming? They wouldn't understand.
Speaker 3: No, But there's got to be something out there that if you know, if you watch, Oh I'm.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean they're sure there is. I just I question whether that.
Speaker 3: It's not Star Trek. No, it's that that is not going to get you beat up anymore. But the point I'm trying to make is this, Uh, the point I'm trying to make is so important that I forgot what it was. But the point is this that that, oh, yeah, I still changed your life. No, No, it did change my life for sure. I mean for maybe there's people listening who don't know. But I have written a great deal about Star Trek, wrote a Star Trek book, I've used to moderate the Star Trek panels on cruise ships. For God's sakes, it's kind of my thing.
Speaker 2: You hung out with Ethan Phillips for God's sake, as you told anecdotes about it.
Speaker 3: I have. That's right. So the point is this, there are still some people out there that I meet and say in a friendly and benign way, oh, yeah, Star Trek. I've never actually seen it, and because it can be intimidating because the show's debuted sixty years ago and there's seven hundred and some odd episodes. If you include the new stuff, it's well over eight hundred and fifty. Now, there's a lot of different movies. Which ones you see first? The one to see first is either Star Trek to the Wrath of Khan or Star Trek for the Voyage Home. Either one, they're both perfect. Star Trek for the Voyage Home was a little sillier and funnier. Star Trek to the Wrath of Khan I think is more gripping and will tear your heart out at the end. But that's what I always say. And like, you really don't know anything about Star Trek you've been meaning to see, Yeah, I kind of know, Captain, what should I do? Watch Star Trek two or Star Trek for either one flip a coin doesn't matter, and you'll get it. You'll get it and you'll be hooked because it is one of life's few perfect things. That's my rec seg for today.
Speaker 6: I'm coming with you.
Speaker 2: You can next time it's the twenty third CenTra No Chills Maximum watch Jenny TLAs Well, I'll help Jordan here and say that Star Trek for the Voyage Home is streaming on Paramount Plus if you want it. I'm going to assume that all the Star Treks are over there, because Paramount owns the Star Trek franchise.
Speaker 3: That's kind of all I got these days.
Speaker 2: So if you want to watch that one, if you haven't seen it, if you're ready, and if you want to die, if you want to go dive into the whole universe of Star Trek, it's all. It's all over there. And sometimes I I'm certainly not a fan of the level of Jordan, but once in a while I will I like to fall as when I'm like, you know, laying in bed, like what I want to fall asleep to, I'll put on an old Star Trek the original series. That's something one of my favorite things to just not off to.
Speaker 3: It's just because the sound effects those places.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those yeah, like the little the computer noises on the bridge. They're very soothing.
Speaker 3: It really is, Yes, yes, it's it's it's like listening to your mother, uh you know, cradle you or you know, not your mother, my mother.
Speaker 2: But let's not make it weird. Let's move on to my recommendation here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what you got what what if Reducks Reducts remind you of?
Speaker 2: Well, it certainly didn't remind me of of Star Trek. I decided to go in a more of a revenge movie Root and the one. It's funny you were like, I'm doing the big movies. I'm doing I'm going bigger, I'm going home. I like to I'd like to try not to pick the most obvious things. And the one that I found that I thought about that is it's not one of the most famous revenge movies, but I found on streaming. It's actually streaming in a lot of places, including quite a few that are free, So there's there. You can have your pick of ways to watch it. It is a movie I was extremely excited to watch when it first came out in nineteen ninety nine, because it was directed and written by the co writer of my favorite movie at the time, Jordan. Do you think you know what it is?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is gonna be it's that Sam Raimi movie in black and white? No, okay, all right, No, what is that called? The same Raimi movie in black and white?
Speaker 2: Well, it's not in black and white. But are you thinking of a simple plan? Maybe yes, I mean that did come around out around that time, and that is an excellent movie. Yeah, it's not in black and white. I don't think Sam has a movie. Sam has a guess.
Speaker 3: Sam thinks it might be the Limey? Is it the Limey?
Speaker 2: No, another excellent guess, and it is a revenge movie. But that was that was not it, because my favorite movie at this time was a film called La Confidential, which saw on resaw and that was I don't know if it was my Star Trek four, but that was a very big movie for me, great when I was whatever, sixteen, seventeen, whatever year that was. But the co writer of that movie's next movie was a little film called Payback, which is currently streaming on Prime video on Peacock on Pluto, on Roku, on to b and on YouTube TV, so you have it many many different ways to see it. Now, I do want to put this caveat when I saw this movie for the first time, so excited from the co writer of La Confidential, Brian Helgelin bh, I saw it and I thought, oh, this is okay. But then what I realized much later, only recently I somehow missed this is that several years later the movie was re released in a director's cut that really restores Brian Helgalin basically was removed from the movie during editing and he was replaced, although his name always remained on it. So his version the movie that I saw and thought was met was not his version. But now if you look around, you can find his version, which is much better and pay It's sometimes it just says payback. You have to look for the run time. That's the giveaway. Fine, look up the director's cut run time, and then make sure the version you're streaming has the correct run time. It is that is the one that's available in certain places, including to Be to Be, which we talked all about last week. It has the correct or at least according to me, recommended version I think it's also in some places called payback straight up, but I don't think on two B that's what they call it. I think that's just says payback, you gotta look for the time. Yes, and in any version. This movie is an adaptation of a classic revenge novel The Hunter by Richard Stark, which was technically Donald Westlake under a pseudonym. Oh, it is the original novel that introduced his character Parker. It's very famous.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't know that either. Well, here's my twis, I never saw a payback. Also, this is I was new to man man learn so much about paid back.
Speaker 2: You're gonna learn about payback. Yes, Well, part of the reason you didn't know it was a Parker movie, yeah, is because Mel Gibson, who is the star of the movie, doesn't play Parker. They changed the character's name to Porter. Don't ask me why, but they did. But the plot, if you do know The Hunter, it is very very close. Porter gets double crossed by his wife. He gets left for dead. They steal seventy thousand dollars of his money, and so he sets out for revenge.
Speaker 5: Not many men know in their life's work. I do seventy grand that's what they took from me. That's that was gonna get back.
Speaker 3: Does the song just James Brown's the Big Payback get played in Payback.
Speaker 2: You're putting me on the spot and I'm I want to say yes, but I'm not certain so because we want this movie. Yeah, it's a great song.
Speaker 3: That song was written for a movie called The Big Payback and then was not Yeah, and then and then was not used in the film, but James Brown released it anyhow. He also improvised the lyrics. Is he just learned that his girlfriend was two timing him? Oh, she's like, I got to get in the studio and like everybody made a groove and he just got in front of the mic and was just like the pay Back.
Speaker 2: Basically how we make the podcast everything. That's pretty much basically the same thing where artists on the level of James Brown.
Speaker 3: And he says the Big Payback, the Big Payback and one of the dumbest things on the internet, and this is coming from me, so it's got to be pretty dumb. There is if you go on YouTube and look around far enough, you will find an animated gift of Vic Tayback dancing to the Big tay Back a big Payback. Now, if you don't know who Vic tay Back is, google him and you go, oh that guy, So yeah, you can. You can watch a video of Vic tay Back as the Big Payback. Who is in Payback?
Speaker 2: I know Mel Gibson's Mel Gibson, Everyone's favorite person. He's everyone widely beloved by one doll.
Speaker 3: Who else is?
Speaker 2: I can tell you, though, I'll run down the cast list, but I do want to reiterate again. You want to make sure you watch the right version. You know, this is not like a vanity director's cut where they added a couple of a little more violence or a little more nudity. But it's basically the same film it is. It's a fairly different film.
Speaker 3: It's a Drimmer film. I'm shorter, which is better from Sam that I'm told that that the director's cut of Payback is ten minutes shorter than the Yes.
Speaker 2: It's the nine. It's like ninety minutes is the director's cut, which is like ten minutes shorter than the theatrical cut.
Speaker 3: They're paying it back so fast, it's like Zell. It didn't paying you back really fast?
Speaker 2: That's right, it's the Zell of of revenge movies. And it has.
Speaker 3: A difference away he just left it.
Speaker 2: Is, Yes, so it's shorter, it has a different villain, it has it looks different. They like color gratered it differently. It has a different ending, it has a different score. It is a very different movie. Supposedly, what happened was Mel Gibson again beloved by all you know he was. This was like him at the apex of his stardom basically, you know, like the mid to late nineties, and he he basically like took the movie over essentially like him, and the studio wanted this movie to become more of a lethal weapon, like you know, just basically him wise cracking more, make it more upbeat, make it more fun. And and the Parker novels generally are they're brutal and nasty and mean, they're very you know, kind of noir ish. And that was the movie that Helgelin wanted to make. And so the the Payback Director's cut or straight up or whatever it is, has more violence, and the character is much more brutal, and he's more of a jerk and he doesn't and you like the it's clearly made with the idea that we don't care if you like this character, and God knows Mel Gibson can play a character we don't like something. He actually does very well, whether you know, maybe he wanted to be more likable in the movie his version, but he's actually very good in the version where he's more you know, more awful. So that's that's my pick. Make sure you are the right version. I've never said that streaming on all of these places, Prime, Peacock, Pluto, Roku, too b YouTube, but just make sure you watch that shorter ninety minute director's.
Speaker 5: Cut my money, yes or no?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: All right, now's the time on our rex eg where we actually recommend titles for one listener who's written to us at our email address feedback at film SPOTTINGSVI dot com.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this week's is great. You want to know why it's so great?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: Because he compliments me. That's why it's so great. So uh, he gets well, why don't.
Speaker 2: You read the recommendation here? To read the request, I should say.
Speaker 3: This great ask in your glory, this great learned and righteous man by the name of Max. He wrote as follows, Hello to all at the Unit Love the podcast on Jordan's recommendation. I watched The in Laws last night and I'm still cracking up remembering some of the lines from the movie the next day. Yes, The in Laws is great, definitely better than Coda, though perhaps not Moonlight. Okay, fair enough to Jordan. All I can say regarding his recommendation is when you're right, You're right, which is a line from the movie Peter Falk says it. It's such a good movie. Also very much enjoying The Hunt for Red October another recommendation from a few weeks ago. I think that was one of yours, Matt. I thought I reach out and ask whether you'd consider doing a personal recommendation for me. Of course we would. That's what we do here on the rec sex Here he goes. I love lots of different types of movies, but my go to comfort watch has always been heist films. Heist films from Raffifi, which is The Jewels das in French movie, which is terrific, to Logan Lucky, which is the relatively recent Soderberg movie, which is pretty much a replay of Raffifi, which is also really good. But Matt and Jordan, please recommend the best heist films they've seen, especially if it's on one of the following platforms, Amazon, Netflix, Movie or Disney. Preferably, these would be lesser seen films, or perhaps ones that slightly subvert the genre. And he says, and this is kind of funny because this was one that I was thinking about. I recently watched The Delinquents on movie, which is a very untraditional heist film, and absolutely love The Delinquents I believe was from Argentina and maybe from twenty twenty four, give or take twenty twenty four to twenty five. Good movie. But he wants something different, so that's what he's asked for.
Speaker 2: Then he give you're recommending that classic heist film Star Trek for the Voyage Home they steal. It is a heist film.
Speaker 3: It totally is a heist film.
Speaker 2: They have to steel well, yeah, the vessels.
Speaker 3: They have to create. They have to steal plutonium, yes, and they have to steal something that they can put the whales in. They need transparent aluminum. That's what transparent illumine hasn't been invented yet. Wah wah.
Speaker 2: There's disguises, they go in disguises. I mean it really it actually, I mean I I was I was joking, but I'm it's a joke with the kernel of truth.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 3: It's a great film.
Speaker 2: So what is your actual lesser scene?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll go first, and I'll make this quick because it's an idiotic movie. But a lesser scene is what I had to do. So you know, he mentioned he and he's already seen Raffifi and and and this movie. Logan Lucky. Logan Lucky also is under that movie was not a hit. It's great. I love it. So here we go from the year nineteen seventy six. I'm gonna start naming some actors that are in a movie, and you're gonna say they were all in a movie together. You're kidding me. So I'm gonna leave the top build last because then it might give it away. But the movie has in it Diane Keaton, who of course was a great comedian but also in serious films like Reds and Whatnot, real actress, Charles Derning, Michael Caine, Leslie and Warren Bert Young who you know from the Rocky films. Two guys who are not household names, but you'd know him if he saw I'm Dennis Dugan and Jack Guilford they're classic that guys from the seventies.
Speaker 2: I mentioned Mike Samus nodding, nodding, very intent. He's listening.
Speaker 3: You've seen it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he's figured it out, but he was like he was really thinking, he hasn't.
Speaker 3: Michael Kane is the villain and he plays a real character from history, a fellow by the name of Adam Wirth who was a safe cracker who was British in the late eighteen hundreds and you know, around the turn of the century and was very celebrated. He was kind of like a celebrated outlaw. And the stars of this movie are James Kahan and Elliott Gould as two buddies. I think I stumped Sam. We've never stumped Sam before. They're two buddies. And this movie was a major It was a it was a major flop. But it's really good because it has that stacked cast. And it was originally going to be this is going to be like a butch casting The Sundance Kid because it's set back in the day and it's about two outlaws that are played by James Kahan and Elliott Gould. But then as the movie was made, it got Sillier and Sillier and Sillier and became a zany comedy. The movie is called Harry and Walter Go to New York, and no one has seen this movie.
Speaker 2: I only know about this movie, and I actually knew it once you got to the end, I knew what it was. I only know about it because Jordan talks about this movie almost as much as he talks about the Odyssey. That's the only reason I couldn't. I couldn't chime in because I was like, it's Harry and somebody go to New York. It's just a cock the movie. He's always talking about. Meet Harry Digby.
Speaker 4: He wants to be the ultimate conray and travel with high society.
Speaker 6: He's got chum, he's got confidence, He's got Walter.
Speaker 3: Harry and Walter Go to New York is a masterpiece in dumb comedy. Now here's the premise and metal shut up. So okay, it's Harry and Walter are two vaudevillians back in the day, and they do you know, they do like vaudeville shtick. They do. They sing and dance and there's a lot of original songs in it with funny lyrics and they do like magic tricks, but what they're really doing is they're stealing from the audience. So they pretend to be like, you know, Elliot Gould pretends to be a swammy from the East and he's like and then James Connor is like, oh, mysterious Swammy, tell me what you see. Meanwhile, he's picking the pocket of the old lady who's you know, in the in the music hall. So it's very funny, and they dream of being big gangsters. They dream of being Adam Worth, who is Michael Caine is this like uh, you know, patrician safecracker and it becomes like the road Runner and Coyote. They start chasing each other. Meanwhile, they meet up with Diane Keaton, who's playing like a young ardent communist and she hates Adam Worth, so they decide to team up with her, and they're gonna break Adam Worth. Is gonna is gonna steal from the Bank of Boston. There and the our team of wacky people are gonna steal from Adam Worth after he's stolen from it and give it to the poor because she runs a soup kitchen and that's the premise. But they're singing and dancing the whole way through because they're Vought Villians and that's how they do their stick as they sing and dance. And I tell you the movie is great. It's got Elliott Gould at the top of his game, handsome James Kahn right after The Godfather doing this silly movie, and it was set up to be a big hit and then it just just fell on its face with the audience and it was kind of a notorious flop at the time. But it deserves review, deserves a second look, and one can stream it. You gotta pay three ninety nine. But if you, if any listener out there in good faith streams this movie and spends three ninety nine and honestly says they dislike it, right to feedback and film Spotting SVU and Matt will reimburse you the money. Now he will venmo you. And now you're gonna like it. You're gonna it's a it's a funny movie. It's really very charming and the production design is great too. It's all like old time in New York. Please give it a look. I think you're gonna like it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So yeah, so it's rentable. You can't stream it right now, but it is. It is available for rent on any It is available for rent on Amazon and a bunch of other places. Yes, exactly, one of these days, I'll have to watch it, just so I don't have to listen to you when you talk about it. I'll the police be able to say.
Speaker 3: It's got such a stacked cast. Carol Kine is dancing and singing around. It's it's really funny, all right.
Speaker 2: So I can't yell at you for breaking the rules here and picking a thing that was only renting because I broke the rules a little bit here too, and that I picked something that wasn't on one of Max's services. But it is available to watch for free on Plex. So I'm hoping that that it gets me.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: That's my get out of jail free card here. I think if he wants to rent it on Amazon after and make it a double feature with Harry and Walter Go to New York, you can do that too. But it's free on Plex. My pick of a lesser known heist film. It's also a seventies one, but a little a little earlier. It is The Anderson Tapes, directed by Sidney Lumet. This is one of my favorite lesser known heist films. It is also one that kind of subverts the genre a little bit, so maybe that helps. Like from what Max was saying, came out in nineteen seventy one, but in some ways it was ahead of its time. It seems to kind of anticipate the very paranoid thrillers that would start really coming out in droves around the Watergate era. There is barely a scene in this movie that does not involve some form of a security camera, a hidden microphone, a wiretap, and all of that is kind of underlined by this amazing Quincy Jones score in this film, one of the coolest scores in any seventies movie. It has all electronic bleeps and bloops and what was that made up word you used before, Jordan googaws Google's there's a lot of electronic Okay, well, there's a lot of electronic googaws in this score as well.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: The movie would be a great double feature. I don't know about Harry and Walter go to Europe. It would be a great double feature with the conversation, but it is also a heist movie. It stars Sean Connery as this wise cracking crook who it wouldn't shock me if this was one of the inspirations that Soderberg and Clooney used for Danny Ocean and Ocean's eleven, because as the movie begins, Connery's Duke Anderson is getting released from a long prison sentence. He immediately decides to find something new to rob, and he sets his sights on this condo building in Manhattan where his girlfriend played by Diane Cannon, lives. And what Duke does not know, what SHAWNK. Connery's character does not know, is the entire building is under surveillance. It's being watched. The mob boss that Sean Connery is kind of connected to that he uses as the as the kind of the bank roll for this operation is also being surveilled. And one of the things that makes it a unique heist movie is that the movie cuts back and forth with the heist and with like the police investigating the heist after the fact, and it doesn't spoil what's gonna happen, and it's a very kind of interesting way of doing it, and it is very fun. It's a Sydney Lumette film, so of course it is a New York film. It has incredible New York flavor. And this movie is the first film by a major film star that we all know and love. Christopher Walkin. He gets the introducing credit. You know it's Sean Connery, Diane Cannon and introducing Christopher Walkin.
Speaker 1: You must be one of those hardened criminals that corrupts the younger offender.
Speaker 4: I need you to bridge some burglar alarms, open doors, got some telephone circuits or you can do that.
Speaker 6: You a piso, set you up in business for yourself.
Speaker 4: Well so some set of a bitch can come still me blind.
Speaker 3: They ripuff everything in here, very stacked cast. You've also got Martin balsam Alan King. Yes, Garrett Morris is in this. Conrad Bain is in it, Margaret Hamilton is in this. Well I'm looking at I.
Speaker 2: Mean incredible cast. Connery is great in it. This is one of his first kind of breakout non bond roles that kind of made you know that he made in the early seventies as he was trying to get away from the bond thing. He doesn't have a two pay, his hair is not looking fantastic, and he and Lumette actually had a kind of They had a they're not really a famous duo, but they made a bunch of movies together.
Speaker 3: I had The Hill, The Hill is The Hill is? I love The Hill.
Speaker 2: The Hill is a very underrated movie. They also Murder on the Orient Express, which is a famous movie. And they made this very underseen, very dark movie called The Offense, which is really that's a nasty one, that's really bleak. Oh and they made a Family Business, which is a goofy comedy. Underrated.
Speaker 3: Also, David Mannett right then he may have well have to we would have to look.
Speaker 2: But yes, I think the Anderson tapes. I don't know if it's I don't know if it's my favorite. I liked a bunch of those movies. I had a Lumet phase during COVID. That was one of my COVID Who am I I'm gonna watch every movie by Sidney Lumette and I watched a whole bunch of Sidney Lewette movies.
Speaker 3: Almost all of them are good.
Speaker 2: Almost all of them are good to great. Yes, Yeah, and the Hill you mentioned that's one that's super underrated. I love the Hill, but that's not a heist movie. This is a heist movie. The Anderson Tapes. Super good, not very well known. You can watch it for free on Plex. You can rent it on Amazon. Check it out.
Speaker 3: I have seen this movie, but I saw it so long ago I barely remember it. I really want to see it again. But you're right, I mean at this time, this was seventy one, Like this is not that I forget the exact year that the first Thomas Crown Affair came out around maybe like two years earlier, early, like yeah, like back then. If you're making a heist movie, you gotta do some weird formal stuff like this. Like you say, it jumps around in times, got three different timelines. Thomas Crowd Affair, of course has the split screens and the chopped up scenes and whatnot. It's really fun stuff. But you know, I always, whenever when you said the Anderson Tapes, I always confuse that in my head with the Ipcris File, which is a very different movie. Have you seen that one, the Ippris File.
Speaker 2: I have seen the file.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's some and there's some. Uh, there were a sequels to that too. Billion Dollar Brain, Billion Dollar Brain. Yeah, a funeral in Berlin.
Speaker 2: They're Michael Kine movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're very different, but I always get I always get Anderson Tapes and if Chris File because they you know, a similar type of title.
Speaker 2: All right, let's run down the rec segg. Let's go back through all the recommendations here. Jordan recommended Star Trek for the Voyage Home.
Speaker 3: That's right, plus I reckon that's also, by the way, on Canopy. If you have a if you have a card, you know, library card, you can watch that on Canopy.
Speaker 2: Okay. I recommended Payback Revenge Film on Prime Video, Peacock, Pluto and two B. And then for our listener, Max, who loves Jordan, but we won't hold that against him, he recommends Jordan recommends Harry and Walter go to New York on VOD and I recommended the Anderson Tapes on Plex. And if you want a personalized recommendation, you can send us a note at feedback at Film Spotting svu dot com. Tell us what kind of movie you want, what sort of streaming services you use. We might ignore that, like we did this week. Sorry Max, but we try.
Speaker 3: Are there any is there like an archive of places where people can.
Speaker 2: It's funny you should mention that Jordan, there is As a matter of fact, if you want to see all the titles we have recommended on all the episodes of Film Spotting SVU so far, go to letterboxed and look for the list. Now streaming on Bazooga. Bazooga the name of the made up streaming service Jordan created on our very first episode when he was making fun of the stupid names of these streaming services. And it has a list of all the movies we've recommended. It has detailed notes if you click on the see read notes or whatever that option is. Sam producer Sam has done a fabulous job of maintaining it and also like running down what we recommended, why we recommended it, and where you can find it. So that's the place to go if you want recommendations.
Speaker 9: Bazzooga. When you gotta stream Bazzooga, it's cream.
Speaker 6: Of the crop.
Speaker 7: It's right at the top of your favorite streamings.
Speaker 3: Hey, Matt Singer, pull up a chair. The great producer of Sam is here and he's brought a new game. Now won the games twice in a row. You're coming up, You're you're coming up. I'm still I believe this is week fifteen now of the new show and I've won ten and you've won four. No, I've won ten and you've won three, and Sam's one.
Speaker 6: I won one.
Speaker 2: We tie. I think me and Sam tie.
Speaker 6: That could hear? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? The when I the one time I was the quiz master.
Speaker 2: You are still the overwhelming games.
Speaker 3: But you're on a street. Let's see if you can continue. So what's this? What's this week's games?
Speaker 6: Okay? So yes, the title of this game is multi Box letter Verse. I I wanted to try to come up with a multiverse inspired game based on reducts redo. Well, just compromise, it's I like, that's that's what that's really. So instead of hopping through a multiverse in search of a killer, we're hopping through the letterboxed multiverse in search of eleven correct answers. And this is the way we're gonna do. It's going to take ten minutes for me to explain how this game is going to work, but here we go. So the starting point is going to be all of the films Matt Singer has logged a reviewed on Letterboxed, sorted by date of entry, going back to how far how far back is your letterbox to go?
Speaker 5: Mad?
Speaker 2: Do you remember I'm gonna guess like twenty twelve.
Speaker 6: Oh, see, what I have is twenty eighteen. Is that possible? Was it that late?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: It's definitely older than that for sure.
Speaker 6: Okay, it's it doesn't really matter. I just need a starting place. So if you go into I'm on my desktop. Here, I'm on a laptop, so it's a little different the interface if you want to play this at home, I should say the interface on a desktop is a little bit different than on your phone. So just to explain the layout here. If you go into if you sort all of Matt Singer's a letterbox titles that he's logged or reviewed, what you get is a row of twelve films. Okay, so twelve films. We're going to start with choosing a number between one and twelve, which will of course be one of these films, and that's how it's the portal we're going to enter the multi force verson. Okay, so you're picking a film boort directory and you're picking the portal into the multi box letter verse. Okay, for that film you choose, I'm going to name the first actor listed in the cast list. Yeah, and if it's your turn, you're going to tell me one of that actor's five most popular films. Okay, this is how you are in the points. We've got to the NATA. So if you get it correct, we're going to enter that portal the film you you you named one of the top five most popular.
Speaker 3: So if you say the Anderson Tapes and I say Sean Connery, and then I say doctor No, and I get it right, then we go to doctor.
Speaker 6: Now, this is exactly right. Okay, then, and this is how we're going to alternate. So this is not a buzzing situation again. This is we're going to take turns and the first person to eleven. Unless this takes too long, we're gonna maybe it'll be five. But if if we're moving through fast, which we might, we're gonna go pickleball rules and it's the first to eleven winning by two. Okay, this is how we're gonna try.
Speaker 3: It, all right, who gets to go first?
Speaker 6: Matt has won two games in a row. He is going to choose a number between one and twelve. Go ahead, Matt, anytime, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Let's let's I'm gonna say number seven.
Speaker 6: Okay, one, you have chosen inception. Okay, So the the topill top build actor, of course, is Leonardo DiCaprio. We're entering the Letterbox multiverse.
Speaker 2: The DiCaprio verse.
Speaker 6: You have to name one of his five most popular films. Again, the multiverse is just this is just me, this is just you. The letterbox multiverses is very quirky. How they how they determined what is the most popular. I'm not in charge of that, Okay, nobody knows, nobody.
Speaker 2: So I need to name one of the five films that Letterbox describes as the most script The top is just one, and that's one. I should do that now, just one? Pretty well, I will say, Once upon a Time in Holliday.
Speaker 3: That's your pick, not Titanic. What the hell's the matter with you?
Speaker 6: Okay? This is good, this is helpful. So once upon a Time in Hollywood is the number five? You were very close the number five most popular? Okay, Titanic is not among the top five. Okay, Okay, So here we go.
Speaker 2: So I use a lot of Letterbox store and I'm on there fifteen times a day.
Speaker 6: I have entered the Once upon a Time in Hollywood portal. And we we are not going to go with Leo again. Who is the top build actor in this film. But we're going to move down to number two and that's Brad Pitt. So Jordan name one of Brad Pitt's top five.
Speaker 3: Well, I've just had the rug completely pulled for me.
Speaker 6: And you cannot use Once upon a Time in Hollywood if no.
Speaker 3: But I would assume that Titanic in the top five.
Speaker 2: Can he pick from one of the top six. You'll give him a grace one.
Speaker 3: Let's worry about that when we get there. Go ahead, Okay, Well, I'm truly in a state of shock because I would assume that Titanic is the most famous Leo movie of almost popular So what are the other Brad Pitt movies? Uh?
Speaker 1: Huh uh.
Speaker 3: And there's a ticking clock on this.
Speaker 6: We're never going to make two eleven. Okay, so go ahead.
Speaker 3: Well I have to think, because I I'm stunned. I don't even know.
Speaker 2: He's vamping. He's vamping. He can't think.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to say I don't know. I'm gonna say Thelma and Louise the thing that.
Speaker 6: Okay, no, wrong, I don't know, Okay, So I will what we will do here, we will go back into Once upon a timehod for you. It's back to you, Matt. You're up one zero. We're going to move past Brad Pitt, two, Margot, Robbie, and I just need a top five film.
Speaker 3: Oh please?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well for Margot Robbi, I'm gonna say.
Speaker 6: Barby is, of course number one, you got it?
Speaker 5: Go?
Speaker 6: Okay, So entering Barbie, So here we go, George. He could feel his fourteen to one lead whatever slipping away with the Okay Barbie, of course, we've already Margot Robbie. We're moving on, of course, to Ryan Gosling.
Speaker 3: Ryan Gosling, all right, so I'm gonna go with the recent hit project Hail Mary.
Speaker 6: You got it. It's number three, okayk God, yeah, Project Hail Mary. Of course. Now it's back to Matt, the number two star. Oh, this is gonna be tricky. It is the rock I was. I was thinking it wasn't going to be the Rock, but it is. Okay that he does no other credits, So we're gonna skip over James Ortiz Rocky and move right on to Sondra Huler.
Speaker 8: Okay, it's only been in a couple of months to five Yeah, okay, I'm gonna I think she was in Tony Erdman number four.
Speaker 6: You're in it? Okay, now you really put in a spot?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are we What are we gonna do now?
Speaker 3: That guy, the old guy. I don't know what else.
Speaker 2: I wish I could say I did that strategically, but I did not.
Speaker 3: I think I know something else that this man was.
Speaker 6: His name is Peter simonsak Simanachek.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I think I remember him running around a little bit in Force Masure. Wasn't he in that movie?
Speaker 6: Okay? He was not in Force? Sure, we're gonna have to what I'm gonna have to do.
Speaker 2: Return to the starting point of perhaps.
Speaker 3: What was that guy? What else was he in? What was? What's his number?
Speaker 6: There is one other title, but I don't know why you'd know this. He was in Fantastic Beasts The Secrets of Dumbledore in twenty twenty two. Kay, it's the only other title.
Speaker 2: Beloved franchise. Everybody is waiting for the next film.
Speaker 3: Remember for fifteen minutes they were going to remake Tony Ordman with Jack Nicholson in the League. Yes, Yes, that would have been it was the thing? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Was it was it? And was Kristin Wig is going to be?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Going to be. I mean, there's no need to make the movie. I love it's so good.
Speaker 2: As it's a great movie. Yes, that was going to be like his uh you know, his comeback.
Speaker 6: And maybe his his like last Hurrahs, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Swan song and comeback.
Speaker 6: Yes, but it's so we There is a button we can push which removed, which returns us to our what do you what were you calling it? Where we were prime? We universe did into the prime universe prime. Okay, I love it Prime, not necessarily our universe, but universe Prime. So Matt, let's pick a number between one and twelve again. You picked seven last time.
Speaker 2: Right before we do that? What is this three?
Speaker 6: And we need to get to eleven?
Speaker 2: I will this time, I will say number two.
Speaker 6: Number two? Okay? Interesting, Well again, this is your letterboxed films list, and the film is swept Away, Guy Ritchie's Swept Away starring Madonna, So all I need Donna is one of her top five film.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm gonna, I'm gonna just throw out Dick Tracy.
Speaker 6: Tracy is number five. That's four. Well done, okay, so we can go right to Warren Batty to you sure, okay.
Speaker 2: I'll I mean Look, that's a movie with a lot of people. Yeah, and Warren Batty, come.
Speaker 3: I'll say Reds.
Speaker 6: Reds is number five? Well done? Oh that was that's risky. And now we've just we were just talking about Diane Keaton earlier. I believe yep, she's number two. Matt, it's back to Europe for too.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 6: This is this is.
Speaker 2: Because getny what I I mean, go for it. I'm trying to think if there's one that won't just be a gimme for Jordan, what that would be in this level.
Speaker 6: That's true too.
Speaker 2: I didn't think about this strategy and the strategy of is there one.
Speaker 3: If you say the movie that most people associate her with, you you end me. You end me with a guy who's made seven hundred thousand movies, So who knows what the top five is?
Speaker 2: That's okay, fine, that's a good point. That's a good point. All right, Well I guess then I have to say, I guess I'll say Annie.
Speaker 6: Hall, Okay, that's five, it's five two. And here we enter the Annie Hall verse, and of course we're we're talking Woody. Now what are your top five? What are adular?
Speaker 3: And it's Woody Allen as an actor, not as an actor. Correct, So I can't say Midnight in Paris, which was a big hit, because he ain't in it. Well, you know what I'm gonna do. I'm going to say, Hannah and her Sisters.
Speaker 6: Number four, you got it, well done? It is five three Hannah and her sisters Woody is no. Mia Farrow is built first. Of course she's the hand.
Speaker 2: This is a tough one.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, there's obvious Rosemary's there. It is six three, christ I get John Cassavettis.
Speaker 6: It is John Cassavetti's You got it? Okay?
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 3: Geez as an actor as an actor, but like you know, you gotta think Letterbox now. Now, now you know he won the Oscar for the Dirty Dozen. So but that's not what Letterbox associates him with. Letterbox.
Speaker 6: Now you're saying, Jordan, here we go, let's go.
Speaker 3: Letterbox associates him with the John Cassavetti's movies. Okay, So I'm gonna roll the dice here. M h I'm gonna roll the dice and I'm gonna say, husbands.
Speaker 6: You were on the right track. Oh wait a minute, no, you're right. I'm sorry I didn't see the title there Husbands is number five, so it's Rosemary's Baby, Mikey and Nicky, Opening Night, Love Streams, and Husband's number five. Okay, it is man.
Speaker 3: I should have said Mikey and Nicky. Of course Letterbox loves that movie, so the dirty doesn't gets the diss. He won the Oscar. That's the one that everybody in back in the day knew him for. But no more.
Speaker 6: Okay, so now we've entered husbands and we are at the top, build, Ben Gazara, this could be tricky character actor, right, Ben Matt's singer, I mean ten titles. What are his top five one or one of his top five films on Letterbox? It's six' Four matt to?
Speaker 2: You is he is he in The killing of A Chinese? BOOKIE i don't even know if.
Speaker 6: HE'S i mean he is the star Of killing of A Chinese. Bookie but that is the ninth most, Popular Ben, gazeera all, Right i'm not.
Speaker 3: Gonna tell you what number one. Is you? Ready number one is going to be the Big.
Speaker 6: Lebowski you're absolutely, right but that's not how we do things. Here we go back To husband's and we go to your Beloved Peter. FALK i think the next build this should be pretty.
Speaker 3: Easy Peter. FALK i, Mean colombo doesn't really count because it's it's That letterbox Loves. Colombo BUT i would have to say if it was a feature, Film i'd have to Say. Colombo colon the case of the is this? No BECAUSE i.
Speaker 2: Don't he's, Falling he's falling for a.
Speaker 3: Time you can't just Say, colombo, Right.
Speaker 6: You can't Say. Colombo, well you could say, it you'd be.
Speaker 3: Wrong but, Okay letterbox is a little. Aerodite and And i'm gonna Say wings Of.
Speaker 6: Desire wings Of desire is number, four well? Done of, Course Princess bride number?
Speaker 3: One oh, JEEZ i forgot about.
Speaker 6: That, okay but now we're at six. Five this is getting. Tight wings Of desire.
Speaker 2: Gonna get it BECAUSE i don't.
Speaker 6: KNOW i don't.
Speaker 3: Know of, course you know the main, guy you know the main?
Speaker 2: Guy what what? Else it's ten thirty at. NIGHT i can't think of gans movie right?
Speaker 3: Now CAN i? Steal CAN i steal A Bruno? Ganz or JUST i JUST i did not?
Speaker 6: Allow for we are, allowed But i'm. NOT i THINK i might have to, though BECAUSE i don't know if there are any more familiar names In wings Of? Desire all, right well let him steal.
Speaker 2: It he's gonna win.
Speaker 3: Again should we enter another room or SHOULD i try to steal A bruno?
Speaker 6: Games, ahead go, ahead steal A bruno gance.
Speaker 3: Don't actually now it might be kind of. Tough he is in a lot of great. MOVIE i would, say The American.
Speaker 6: Friend, Yeah American? Friend is it Number let's see, five, six, seven? Eight steal?
Speaker 3: Film what's number one For Bruno?
Speaker 6: Gans it's actually the house That jack. Built the uh Is wings Of, desire then Her Zugs No, sparatu The Vampire downfall is the first ONE i actually thought. Of doesn't he Play hitler In? Downfall that's?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah and he's In Malik's Hidden. Life those are the top Five bruno. Games BUT i think we have to go. Back we need to go.
Speaker 2: Back start to the starting point. Again we need to go to the starting.
Speaker 6: Point so we're at where still it's six' five and it's, To, you, Matt.
Speaker 3: Okay SO because I Got bruno, gans wrong.
Speaker 6: You pick a number, that number pick a number. Number ten number ten is The Movie John. Carpenter's, christine ah this is gonna.
Speaker 3: Be, tough NO and i know the, Main, guy.
Speaker 6: Well the main Guy Is. Keith gordon, come on this's a biggie.
Speaker 3: For that there's two.
Speaker 2: BIGGIES there i don't know what we might have different.
Speaker 3: Definitions of there's one that's biggie for letterbox and when there's a biggie. For, Me personally i'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna say addressed.
Speaker 6: To, kill yes dressed to kill number That's what i'm? Well, done?
Speaker 3: Okay, good Well now I'm Because michael kaine's in five hundred. Thousand moves that's.
Speaker 2: A, Tough One. Michael kane tell, You, WHAT jordan i Don't Think Billion dollar brain is gonna be in the top.
Speaker 3: All right i'm. Gonna say i'm Gonna go i'm gonna Say For, michael KAINE although i would personally not say this is in his.
Speaker 6: Top, five sure i'm gonna Say The dark knight Seven Six christian bale Gets.
Speaker 2: Baal, yeah okay but we've already Said The. Dark night. That's Correct so i'm Gonna Say American.
Speaker 6: Psycho psycho, number two? Well, done yeah eight, To Six. American psycho who's the? Second, lead interesting that's a.
Speaker 2: Good question who is the second Lead?
Speaker 4: In?
Speaker 2: Americans yes, The dude i'm seeing a lot.
Speaker 3: OF faces i know who's paul. IN that i don't know Who played who's second lead?
Speaker 5: In this?
Speaker 6: Justin throw justin gets? Second? BILLING here I got i, GOT it i.
Speaker 3: GOT it i got a letter.
Speaker 6: Number three you? Got, it okay it is. Eight seven this is a. Barn, burner okay The most i'm sweating. So profusely, so now of course you know where. We are we're In The mulholland, drive verse and It's The nami watts top Five to game.
Speaker 2: Of, five yeah, that's yeah what would be?
Speaker 6: EIGHT seven i.
Speaker 2: Don't WANT dead i don't want, dead AIR but i also don't want to just fill a Buster like. Jordan does but That's what i'm doing. Right now i'm trying to Think.
Speaker 6: Of watts, come on you got, this one.
Speaker 2: Big one i'm Gonna Say. King Kong Peter Jackson's.
Speaker 6: King, kong okay so THIS is i hadn't allowed. For this this is like. Number six but we Couldn't Mention. Mulholland drive so you picked one of the FIVE remaining i, THINK past i think you have to have five things, to.
Speaker 3: Choose, Right right, You're right, you're, right OKAY n i guess. That's fair if number one was that going to be fun is? Number one oh so there's number two. Funny games i'm thinking letterbox.
Speaker 6: Funny games actually not back down at, like god that was the THAT.
Speaker 2: Was i thought of, that ONE but i.
Speaker 3: THOUGHT that i.
Speaker 6: Was Surprised the ring is. NUMBER three i totally Blanked the birdman and Then a jillenhall Film called demolition from that's that? POPULAR crazy i saw that.
Speaker 3: Movie, terrible yeah we were there. OPENING night i think we start together.
Speaker 6: Nine to seven Were At. King, kong second It's Actually. ADRIAN brody, A, WELL adrian, I mean i have too biggies to, choose FROM but i gotta Think LETTER.
Speaker 3: Box d The LETTER box d, is Recent so i'll go with. The Brutalist.
Speaker 6: Brutalist number six in this case does not. Count you this is where we Have to you probably overlooked his participation in the Films Of.
Speaker 3: Wes anderson, oh yeah that doesn't counts.
Speaker 6: Where well THAT'S what. I mean these these aren't just. Starring appearances this is.
Speaker 2: Where BRUTALIST is a letter box WOULD have i probably would have said the brutalist.
Speaker 6: As well number is.
Speaker 3: The pianist on there, at all or or that also have been off because of All The.
Speaker 6: Wes, Anderson yeah pianist is probably way. Down there Let's see pianist Is down, oh boy where?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 6: Number three, i'm sorry it's. Umber three, that's Impressive Between Fantastic mister Fox And. Asteroid city but in, this case we go Back To king kong and we go to the third build in, this Case, after Watts, after brody and we Go To. Jack black this is this is to actually you're, Two. Away matt there's a lot to choose, from here but a lot of.
Speaker 2: KIDS movies i don't know how kids movies play with the letterboxed.
Speaker 6: Crowd seven one.
Speaker 2: Or no my kids aren't logging all their all. Their Jack so i'm i, M boy i.
Speaker 3: HAVE answer i have three to.
Speaker 2: Choose from, i'm debating, All right I'm the i'm, gonna say Even Though i'm i'm it's. All right i'm Gonna say School.
Speaker 6: Of rock School of rock, number four. Well done You're at you're. At ten you're, One Away. Matt Singer It's Jack blanting Minecraft The Super mario Brothers Movie. Kung fu and it weren't there then then will not guess this one the holiday, number five that movie that.
Speaker 2: Is a that has become a? Beloved movie has it?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 6: Is yes Ok?
Speaker 3: IS minecraft I? LIKE minecraft i did too. With, You.
Speaker 6: Okay So jack black of course is. Top building School Of rock? SECOND build i. Love this we need a, top Five, but john this could. Be tough?
Speaker 3: Should not. It's not i'm Going With. Working girl i'm Just gonna, oh no we're.
Speaker 6: Too smart you're Nobody's Seen working girl. On letterbox nobody's. Seen it how far down? Is it it's even well below, broadcast NEWS which i love. Her, in uh it's down at you think. About it that's gonna.
Speaker 2: Tell you toy, toy store, toy story two.
Speaker 3: To three movies don't, count different?
Speaker 6: All right so okay for, The, WIN matt i. Like this so we're ending on the third Build from School. Of rock you can, win it, oh boy by telling me one of the five most popular films on letterbox of The Actor, Mike white You're gonna you're gonna have to. EARN it, i Mean.
Speaker 2: THIRD build i can't think of, Anything Else so i'm Gonna say Chuck. AND buck I know.
Speaker 6: Chuck and buck is.
Speaker 3: Did?
Speaker 6: He didn't he just write that is He? All Star? He's chuck Is? He CHUCK can?
Speaker 3: I STEAL can? I?
Speaker 6: Steal uh in, this case we go back to let him want, to.
Speaker 3: Say it's gonna be. High fidelity see in?
Speaker 2: High, fidelity yeah.
Speaker 6: Why isn't He With?
Speaker 2: JACK black i think you're confusing Him With.
Speaker 6: Todd, luiso okay possibly, all RIGHT because i could picture, Him suddenly but, all right.
Speaker 3: Let me do.
Speaker 6: A mulligan because, you stole, You, failed okay so steal that means we got do we go? Back, to uh go back to the.
Speaker 2: Next building School.
Speaker 3: Of rose Who.
Speaker 6: Played mike white's? Girlfriend comedian.
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 4: Is?
Speaker 2: It Uh? Sarah silverman It Is?
Speaker 6: Sarah? Silverman, oh no Top Five. Sarah silverman, oh, boy yikes.
Speaker 2: Oh boy one movie that she's.
Speaker 6: Been, in Yeah, after silverman it's all Kids in School.
Speaker 2: Of, rocks yeah we'll have to go back to. THE beginning i DON'T think i can at this late hour of. THE day, I know I mean.
Speaker 3: I can throw one, out, There okay and it's a recent film and it's successful with the. Letterbox crowd oh the Movie Is Bradley.
Speaker 6: Cooper's, maestro yes, well done, number five, good steal, good job, ALL right i would. Have forgotten she's of course The Record ralph movies.
Speaker 3: And Incredibly Star. Trek voyage she was in the two Part.
Speaker 2: Play The, Red, alert sam you're gonna have to add make make. A note i expect to Hear The red alert sound.
Speaker 3: She's in she's in one of the. Great episodes She And tom Paris.
Speaker 6: And silverman's number one most, popular Film the popular and beloved don't look up by director out of, ok, okay yeah so that means so we Go to Maestro And. Bradley cooper that's, Right, right wow top Building. To Berry What harry mulligan is top billed according to. The letterbox this is how.
Speaker 3: We play so that's what Goes to oh so What is oh that's a. HARDER one i mean that. IS tough i can THINK of i can think of some. Good movies she's in.
Speaker 6: Many films what would be the?
Speaker 3: MOST popular i KNOW the i can. Steal this what's the score?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Now sam it is ten? To eight, oh god.
Speaker 3: Sure it's not ten? To nine after That last maestro that?
Speaker 6: Was, eight okay, all right good More.
Speaker 2: Than i'm gonna all right. Watch one you're gonna get, it Wrong and i'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna, steal oh well she in.
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 6: One win this is for. The win, Come, on matt get.
Speaker 2: IT wrong I know i have choices that are, less CERTAIN but i don't know if she that. She's in but This one i'm forgetting whether she's in. Or Not but i'm just gonna SAY because i think she is. In It sultburn sturn is.
Speaker 6: Number one, You Win matt singer for the. Third row, well, done wow EACH eleven i would.
Speaker 3: NOT have i barely.
Speaker 6: Remember anything she's, a yeah of course she Was In Emeralds Promising, young woman which is.
Speaker 3: NUMBER five i would have Sit Inside. LEWIN davis i knew you were going to, Say that and that's.
Speaker 6: Number six it's, number six?
Speaker 3: Isn't it didn't she Win have oscar for? An education? SHE was I was the other ones were? An?
Speaker 2: Education?
Speaker 6: Right wrong well she was, In that, oh no just meaning and not not so that was a.
Speaker 2: GOOD good i didn't. Pick.
Speaker 6: THAT uh i don't think it will surprise you to learn that, number two which you, may forget she was in This but Pride And Prejudice Joe wright's Pride. And prejudice she Showed Young. Kiddy bennett the.
Speaker 2: Other ONE that i was Debating, was SHAME which i don't think is in the top shame number the, other one. Number ten that was the other one that came to mind for, some Reason.
Speaker 6: Probably Letterbox popular Drive And The. Great. Drive drive She's as isaac's the girlfriend and also the right she's the, love interest the Love.
Speaker 3: Interest isaacson drive sucked by. The way that movie? Is good, all, that guys he's got any one? COMING out I can't drive.
Speaker 2: Is bad animated films. Don't count what else? You got, Keep.
Speaker 3: Going Nicholas, winding road whatever the hell is, name is he's no good name a. Good movie He's, made drive that's the, best one and it's. No good then he Did The neon Demon with demon like it's and that might be the. Only two someone. Is good but what he Made With ryan gosling as a Boxer in.
Speaker 2: Thailand Terrible only god, forgives awful not.
Speaker 6: Not great, all right you can, Keep, talking Jordan but matt has he's won three in, a row three in. A row i like. This game maybe eleven was, too LONG but i thought this Was a it was a.
Speaker 2: FUN game i was. Very stressful it was very back, and forth.
Speaker 3: Very stressful i'm gonna feel that somehow For My greek odyssey next. Week, game.
Speaker 6: Everyone we're gonna.
Speaker 3: HAVE all i gotta come up with a game that Involves. The odyssey you. Know, what actually The what i'm probably gonna do Is the odyssey has a pretty. Stacked Cast so i'm. Gonna work we got. That somehow it'll.
Speaker 6: Be fun, all right let's let's wrap this. Thing up.
Speaker 3: It's, late yeah, oh okay. Very quickly let's just blaze through the. Big finale here on the show.
Speaker 2: We, START george i, Have, it, NO no i got it.
Speaker 3: RIGHT here i got it. Right here there are some new, you know the kids out there listening want to know what's coming to rent and stream and. BUY online i can't. Believe It disclosure days. Rentable already it costs a. Few bucks it's not the three ninety. Nine rental it's probably nineteen, ninety Nine But. Disclosure Day matt singer only gave it three and a half Stars. ON letterbox i don't Believe that spielberg generates an enormous air, of mystery at least until a predictable and unsatisfying. Third, act geez that's as deflating as An Unknotted. HELIUM balloon i feel that's a little.
Speaker 5: A.
Speaker 3: LITTLE unfair i think the movie's better. Than that but you can decide the listeners By Watching disclosure day if you missed it. In theaters it's to rent. To, buy also, scary MOVIE which i did. NOT see Lbx User matt, singer says with a basketball reference that's as old As The scary movie. Franchise itself the filmmaker's comic Strategy resembles shaquille O'Neill's approach the. Foul line take ten shots and hope to hit three, of them and Then finally shack couldn't hit a?
Speaker 2: Free throw what everybody?
Speaker 3: Knows this, come on. IT'S fine I honestly i didn't even know there was A new.
Speaker 6: You gotta Go With Nick Center mitchell robinson now now the most famous war worst uh.
Speaker 2: WORST fellowship, I don't i honestly don't watch that much basketball. These days so that's where that's why It. Was shack, i'm.
Speaker 3: Sorry you, know what you know what's coming out to rent. Or buy so it's not free Yet On, disney Plus But, Star, wars Colon the Mandalorian and grogoo is available to stream To renter by and Letterbox User jordan hoffman, WROTE quote I took suda fed just before and got very little sleep, last night so as soon as the, LIGHTS dimmed i zonked the. HELL out i heard there was a good scene with a, giant SNAKE but i missed. That part all of these titles are available For premier people can read these right when you put them. On there you are aware, of, THAT yeah i. Suppose so but other big news theatrical releases to streaming. Channels obsessions the big hit of the year is Now. On peacock you gotta. See it everybody, knows it everybody. LOVES it i think it's a. Great film it was.
Speaker 2: Very good the girl.
Speaker 3: Says, no, no no but we the audience, say, yes. Yes Yes also, exit eight based On a japanese video game about a guy stuck on. The subway It's. On shutter we got To give shutter more Love because shutter is a great. Filming service we. Really do and then a MOVIE and I like exit. Eight Too christian petzold makes a lot of. GREAT movies i Believe, he's german and his most recent movie Is called muriel's Numeuleltois no it's.
Speaker 2: Pronounced reducs, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Mirror's. Number three it's. ON movie i haven't. Seen It but petzold's made a lot of. Good movies phoenix back in, twenty fourteen Just phenomenal transit, twenty eighteen, many others. Great movies and Then, another biggie which is in fact your friend. And mine what's? His Name richard Brody From The new. YORKER magazine i happen to be Looking at. INSTAGRAM today i. Saw him he's a. Beautiful man he's, had beautiful piercing blue eyes and a beard like he's like a stepped out Of a. Dastaovsky Novel richard brudy called this the best movie of the year. So, far wow It's Called blue HERON and i.
Speaker 2: Still need to. See it i've heard nothing but, great things not Just For. RICHARD brody i will be watching it because it's going to be On the criterion Channel When.
Speaker 3: Jordan tuesday the, twenty first and it was the director as a woman by the Name Of sophie rumvari and my just sort of general gist. OF it i haven't. Seen either i'm getting vibes of what was That Movie after sun from a few, Years ago. ESCAUSE yes i think that also was about reminiscing of youth and Vacation and i'm getting.
Speaker 2: Semi autobiographical coming.
Speaker 3: Of AGE and I thought i Asked the son was great and sad. And blue heron is probably going to be just as, good now also. Very good it's one of my favorite movies of the year. On, hooplu yes absolutely number one favorite movie at thet. This juncture yes a.
Speaker 2: True hodyssey, Move Over, christopher nolan here are men on a.
Speaker 3: True odyssey nirvana, the band, the movie the show is great and if you haven't, seen it you really owe it. To yourself and then what you will do is you will go on YouTube and then start watching clips of. The series you don't have to know anything about this to.
Speaker 2: WATCH it i know we're, wrapping up but you have to explain people Go, what nirvana, the band, the show?
Speaker 3: The movie what?
Speaker 2: Is this it has nothing to do with The. Band, nirvana no it is based ON a, tv show but you don't need to know anything. ABOUT it i had never seen a single episode of the SHOW before i watched. The movie it's just about these two guys who they sort of have a band in their, own minds who go through all these elaborate attempts to get a gig at a local Club. In toronto but really it's just about friendship and, two idiots two dopes. Goofing off can't Imagine why JORDAN and i.
Speaker 3: ENJOYED it i.
Speaker 2: Don't know but it.
Speaker 3: Is hilarious it is, really, good clever it.
Speaker 2: Is, touching yeah it's, really good as The best back To the future sequel perhaps ever made in some, strange way.
Speaker 3: And it'll inspire you to go on YouTube and watch clips From The old show And the old yeah.
Speaker 2: So funny And The old show is. Great too So that's hulu on the, twenty.
Speaker 3: Fourth very quickly direct, to streaming very. Very Quickly kevin hart in seventy. Two Hours kevin hart sometimes makes, good stuff and sometimes it's not. So good let's give it. A shot after he's inadvertently added to the, group text a forty year old executive hopes to save his flailing career by joining a group of twenty somethings on a wild three day. Bachelor party that could, be funny who knows? Could be and then there's something Coming TO apple Tv Called. The dink it's a pickleball Comedy With, Jake Johnson, ben Stiller And, ed harris Directed by oh you love This Guy. Josh greenbaum He Made barbin star go TO this i do.
Speaker 2: Love, this guy and you love Doing, space balls.
Speaker 3: And he's doing the New, space balls so maybe it'll. BE good i was not the World's Biggest Bob barbin, star FAN but i SHOULD probably i was in a. BAD movement i. SAW that I just i. DON'T know i don't. Dare you? I'm sorry WHAT can? I say sare? You do you want to tell us what we're gonna do? Next?
Speaker 2: Week sure well next week on, the show we are Gonna, because jordan as he said, multiple times everybody's Talking About, the odyssey and even though it is not, on streaming he. Doesn't care so we're gonna do kind Of an odyssey themed EPISODE. Of svu we are going to do streaming recommendations Inspired By. The odyssey maybe we will discuss the movie more a little more in depth, next week and we're gonna play. A Game as, jordan said it's Gonna be odyssey. Theme somehow we're gonna take a just a one week break from a new, streaming title and we're gonna shift To. The odyssey because we literally won't let us do.
Speaker 3: Anything else we're gonna, Drink uzo we're gonna, Saga naki we're gonna Have A greek greek music on bazouki playing underneath The whole sam's gonna layer. That in we're gonna what was?
Speaker 2: That bazooka that was. MY confusion i, was like does Bazooka have? Greek music that.
Speaker 3: Was bazuki is like a is like. A zither you know what.
Speaker 8: We're?
Speaker 3: Gonna hear, all right it's been a. Long episode thank you for all six of you that made it to the end of. The show it's it's, you know it's a very. Long show please write to film uh feedback At film spotting s. For you let us know what your comments are about. The odyssey we'll we'll lead. WITH that i, YOU know i want to know What.
Speaker 2: You be Careful because jordan will send you memes. Back though just, be aware.
Speaker 3: You know if you want To Follow, matt singer who's got a new book coming out at the end of the Year Called, Funny People.
Speaker 2: Funny Business. Funny Business funny people is A movie i.
Speaker 3: Got confused you can follow Him on instagram and letterbox At. Super pulse you can follow Me ON Letterbox, I Think I'm jay hoffman six And On. BLUE sky svu is Produced by Sam. VAN holgren I Am jordan Hoffman And I'm.
Speaker 2: Matt singer thanks. For listening