Speaker 1: Cool media.
Speaker 2: This is it could happen here, a show about things falling apart. I'm Garrison Davis. This episode, I'm joined by Mia Wong.
Speaker 3: Mia. I have some upsetting news.
Speaker 2: Oh no, which is frankly one of the best ways to start in this episode and one of the best ways to start the show. So I'm pretty sure that I found this account called uh, let's see at Haill Hitler, and I think he's posting some things that is.
Speaker 3: A little bit fascist. Oh wow.
Speaker 2: I have decoded some of at Hell Hitler's communications and I have uncovered a secret a secret Nazi code.
Speaker 3: Wow. This is. This is an incredibly unexpected revelation from Hailed Hitler.
Speaker 2: He has posted some pictures in like what I would assume is some kind of military uniform that looks like I don't know it's it's some kind of like like Germanic military inform. But I've noticed that there are some runes on this uniform that look very similar to the Odal rune. So I'm thinking because of the ruine, this guy might be a Nazi.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your work, Harison. We could never have determined this. That's right, I am.
Speaker 2: You can find me at osent to Defender Online. No, that doesn't for us today, and it could happen here now. So this emisode, we're gonna talk about something that's been slowly frustrating me the past few weeks, and that is the misapplication of dog whistles. And let's just get right into it. People have been noticing patterns, noticing trends in official communications from the dhs gov online accounts, which now is the main way the government sends out communications, unfortunately, especially on X the Everything app. But this, this extends outside of of X the Everything after, this extends outside of Blue Sky the Internet in general. This is about how we understand the messaging of fascists and understand how rhetoric and anti fascist like education works, and ways that I think it's currently being misapplied.
Speaker 3: So bear with me.
Speaker 2: This is going to be kind of an odd episode, but I think I think it's worth it because I don't want us falling into the same traps that we maybe fell into eight years ago. So let's let's let's start by talking about some communications posted on the internet by at dhs gov. A picture of a painting titled American Progress by John Gast, captioned a heritage to be proud of, comma a homeland worth defending. So on the surface, you know, maybe a slightly hashtag problematic sentiment here with a hashtag problematic painting or at the very least of painting depicting the genocide of Native Americans and Indigenous people specifically with like a white supremacist outlook, with this enlarged white woman bathed in a white cloak, bringing forth that the tide of quote unquote progress as Indigenous people are are forced to flee from the edge of the painting.
Speaker 3: It's it's fun because this is a painting we literally when they had to explain manifest destiny like colonialism good. This is the painting that was in my textbook in high school. Is three class like and it is like the er, the er colonialism good, genocide, good.
Speaker 2: Painting, genocide good. That that's what the painting is. But what I have found through some hashtag research, there might be a hidden code in this, in this communication from the DHS, who already an agency that only has the best interests and of really all people who strive for human rights, the DHS. So if you count all of the words in the tweet, guess how many words there are in this tweet? Mea fifteen no, so close, so close, fourteen fourteen words in this tweet, which might remind you of the fourteen words the Nazi signifier, which I probably just explain. Surely most people listening to this is familiar with the fourteen words, since it seems everybody thinks they are an armchair expert on fascist rhetoric. But the fourteen words we must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children. This became a popular hashtag dog whistle, especially in the past. I would say ten fifteen years, usually by implanting fourteen's and usually fourteen eighty eights with eighty eight meaning Hyle Hitler because each is the eighth letter of the alphabet. This became a common Nazi tag. You could see this in graffiti, You see this embedded into into posts, see this in like Nazi artwork. And going back to this DHS post, we cannot only count fourteen words in this tweet. This is actually a fourteen eighty eight because two of the h's in this in this post are capitalized unusually, and that means hal Hitler Wow because hc eighth letter uh huh oh but wait, actually looking at this post again, there's actually other words in this tweet that are also unusually capitalized.
Speaker 3: But don't worry. I don't worry.
Speaker 2: This is still a dog whistle because those other words that are capitalized in the first sentence are the letters A and D, which, if you convert those into numbers, are one in four, So it's actually another fourteen.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, we're doing We're doing numerology. We're doing jamatria, where we've become Q and on so back.
Speaker 2: So if you cannot tell by my thinly veiled sarcasm in that last section, I think this methodology is a little bit silly.
Speaker 3: What are we doing? What are we doing here?
Speaker 2: We're converting capitalized letters in the first half of a tweet into numbers and then rearranging the order of those letters to get a fourteen eighty eight. It's literally jerbatria, and then also counting the total words in the whole suite while still disregarding the capitalizations in the last four words for another fourteen What are we doing? How is this the piece of evidence that sinks sinks the Trump administration and finally proves that they're fascist. You can just look at all of the fascist policies the Trump administration is enacting. Instead of doing numerology on tweets, people are thinking, ha ha ha, I have decoded the secret Nazi message with a HHD one eight eight fourteen. Nice trigroypers. Meanwhile, you can just look at the actual text of the post. You can look at the painting. Both of those things have an inherent fascist quality. It's literally defending the concept of ethnic genocide, of manifest destiny. While the administration, the DHS is currently furthering as no nationalist policies.
Speaker 3: They are doing this. This is homeland security, right. I don't know if people realize that ICE is a part of homeland security, but like, this is the agency that is literally.
Speaker 4: Rounding people up and sending them to camps. We have camps in multiple countries now. But I say they're being round up and sent to camps. It's genuinely unclear whether what I'm talking about is the fucking concentration camp in Florida.
Speaker 3: Sea Coat in nol Salvador. Yeah, I mean I think people have now escape, so I can't technically call the Honduras want a death camp. But like, again, there's any people in South Udan, They're like, they're just doing this, Like what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: So this episode I want to focus on how people are misusing anti fascist education, or I would argue they're misusing anti fascist education and kind of missing the forest for a cardboard cutout of trees, not even trees, kind of something that could be a tree if you look at it from one angle, but maybe isn't actually a real tree. And you don't need to sound like a da Vinci Code conspiracy theorist to point out the obvious, like dog whistles don't matter if the regular whistle is already fascist. If they're just saying things openly and doing things, what purpose does a dog whistle? And this is something that we're going to discuss. Are not just saying this and closing the episode, We're going to get into these And I think part of what's happening here everybody is so cooked by the paranoid style of American politics. Everyone is it's so eager to decode the hidden messages that we're missing what's right in front of us. QAnon has a total victory. Qwanon does not really exist in the way that it did in twenty eighteen. That the q Andon cult and conspiracy theory as like a singular cultish project is kind of no more. But q Andon has a cultural victory over the entire United States, and not just on the right wing, not just on Mega. So much of American politics now is litigating who is and is not a pedophile, who is and is not trafficking children, who can notice which events are staged, who can notice hidden codes, who can decode anonymous messages on the Internet, And this is what like everything is, And like the real turning point I think for the right wing was probably the twenty twenty election, in like a massive fracture from reality in which they think that election was legitimately stolen. And obviously there was many events leading up to that which which contributed to this. Yeah, And I think one of the biggest fracture points for liberals was the attempted assassination of Donald Trump, with people creating whole new alternate realities that that event was staged. And because that door is opened now I'm seeing such a massive flood of things that I would label as blueing on conspiracy theories, which is kind of a nonsense term, but it gets the point across and I'm gonna do a whole piece on bluing on very soon. I've been collecting blueing on conspiracy theories for a while, but I want to do something specifically about this fourteen eighty eight and like secret codes thing, because it's so evocative of like, you know, Q drops, and it's evocative of, you know, searching for Masonic codes, something that American conspiracy theorists have been doing for generations. And we're to talk about that more and read a little bit of an essay on that topic after this ad break, and I will let you know there's gonna be two messages in the ad break that if you decode, you win a special prize at the end of the episode, So make sure you listen to every single second of the ad in case you miss the code. Okay, we are back, speaking of the paranoid style in American politics. I want to quote a few sections to kind of frame what I'm talking about here. This was an essay written in the sixties by Richard hoff Setter Hoffstetter Richard Hoffstetter one of the first like modern pieces on American conspiracy culture and politics. I'm gonna I have three paragraphs here that I that I selected as being relevant to the current the current topic at hand.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: There is a style of mind that is far from new and that is not necessarily right wing. I call it the paranoid style simply because no other word added evokes the sense of heated exaggeration, suspiciousness, and conspiratorial fantasy that I have in mind. Nothing really prevents a sound program or demand from being advocated in the paranoid style. Style has more to do with the way in which ideas are believed than with the truth or falsity of their contact.
Speaker 3: Unquote.
Speaker 2: And I like that section specifically because fourteen eighty eight is a real dog whistle. We can see this used. There is aspects of people who are trying to search for this and trying to search for patterns in the communications of an admittedly fascistic government agency that I find like sympathetic, Like can I can understand because Yeah, that is a real dog whistle. I'm going to continue the quote.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: The paranoid spokesman sees the fate of conspiracy in apocalyptic terms. He traffics in the birth and death of whole worlds, whole political orders, whole systems of human values. He is always manning the barricades of civilization. He constantly lives at a turning point. Like religious millenarianists, he expresses the anxiety of those who are living through the last days, and he is sometimes disposed to set a date for the apocalypse. As a member of the avant garde who is capable of perceiving the conspiracy before it is fully obvious to it. As of yet to unaroused public, the paranoid is a militant leader. Demand for total triumph leads to the formulation of hopelessly unrealistic goals, and since these goals are not even remotely attainable, failure constantly heightens the paranoid's sense of frustration.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: Hofstetter is talking about something that that me and Robert specifically have have discussed a lot on this show before. How everyone in America wants to have access to secret information.
Speaker 3: M h. Everyone wants to.
Speaker 2: Have the exclusive piece of secret intel that will solve everything, and like having having that informational exclusivity in a world of information saturation, right of a vortex of like meaningless noise. It's it's such a romantic idea that that I alone have the info or the clue to pieces together, and it's my duty to inform the masses. It's a very romantic notion, and.
Speaker 3: It's also one that is exactly perfectly anti suited for the moment we live in, which is actually just a moment where everything that is happening is just so clearingly literal, like it's all out of the oden, Like what is happening with the Trump administration. Okay, in twenty twenty, there is a massive uprising to attempt to attempt to fundamentally change like the structurally racist nature of the United States, to deal with its fucking class inequalities, to deal with the structural violence of the state. This was reacted to by a massive fascist movement that spent half a decade gaining power and then finally took power in the form of like a bunch of pistol petite bourgeois fucking car dealers and like literally a billionaire real estate mogul backed by the richest tech company guy in the world, right, and they came together to build fascism. This is the most straightforward, like if this is a conception of how a fascist takeover works, that he's so thuddingly literal that It defies narrativization because it's just there. There's no subtlety to it. They're just saying it. They just want to do it, and they're doing it. But everyone is convinced that there's like some kind of secret hitting conspiracy and it's like no, they're just doing the thing that they're saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can argue that we have a griper occupied government not because of counting words and posts, but because of not only who they're bringing on for DOGE, but literally Ice in DHS as of today, which I'm recording this on Wednesday, I think because this comes out Wednesday night, are copying like Patriot Front style tactics of loading up ICE agents in U haul style rentable trucks to hunt down people to assault and kidnap, like they're just copying the Patriot Front playbook. Here, the ICE director said that he wants an Amazon like mass deportation system, calling it quote unquote Amazon Prime, but with human beings. They're saying this, you can listen to the actual words. I'm going to read another quote here from the Paranoid Style of American Politics essay quote. A final characteristic of the paranoid style is related to the quality of its pedantry. One of the impressive things about paranoid literature is the contrast between its fantasized conclusions and the almost touching concern with factuality it invariably shows. It produces heroic strivings for evidence to prove that the unbelievable is the only thing that can be believed respectable. Paranoid literature not only starts from certain moratal commitments that can indeed be justified, but also carefully and all but obsessively accumulates quote unquote evidence. The paranoid seems to have little expectation for actually convincing a hostile world, but he can accumulate evidence in order to protect his cherished convictions from it unquote. And I think that gets into the psychological mechanisms on why people are doing this, this naze code hunting. It's actually a form of self coping, looking at the horrific state of the federal government, looking at the brazenness in which ICE is operating, and this is a self preservation mechanism. Someone on Blue Sky that I was talking to about this is like arguing, like Ice doesn't need to dog whistle, they have no reason to like dog whistling is for trying to like sneakily get racists or fascist into power while signaling to a nationalistic base that they are like one of them.
Speaker 3: Right, But these guys are.
Speaker 2: Already in power, and the base already knows that they're in power. There's no point in dog whistle. They're just using ice to establish an ethno state. They're using explicit ethno state rhetoric. In a post from this morning which has one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight nine ten words not fourteen ten words, Wow, DHS said quote, serve your country, defend your culture, no undergraduate degree required. Defend your culture. It's not about locking up criminal migrants. It's about defending a culture from its destruction through ethnic demographic shifts. It's they're not trying to obscure what they're doing in the slightest No.
Speaker 3: And I want to return to something else that the Hofstater said that in that second paragraph that you read about how like one of the central conceits is that like, you know, there's this giant conspiracy that's being unleashed and the American public doesn't know anything about it, and like, yeah, you can. You know, it is distressing to a large extent, the extent to which people just don't know what the government is doing. But also like if you look at any pulling at all, but anything the people are doing, everyone hates it. There isn't like a secret thing that you can say to convince people that they're that all these people are Nazis, because it's like and that's not even a particularly useful project because everyone fucking hates them already, like trying to fight this in the realm of sort of the accumulation of the evidence of conspiracy instead of in the realm of like, Hi, i'm your neighbor, you also fucking hate this. Let's go fucking like do this should people are doing in la and like follow these fucking ice fans around, right, That is stuff that people are doing, but it doesn't have the kind of like instant emotional gratification and register of trying to like accumulate hordes of secret knowledge, so people do it less even though it's less effective.
Speaker 2: In my discussion of this, like online on various cursed social media sites, I've gotten a lot of pushback to my pushback of these tactics and what I see as a sort of like abuse of anti fascist education, right, because people like you know, Robert Evans, myself, you know, Molly Conger spent the past eight years trying to actually, you know, educate people about like Nazi rhetoric, like in like Nazi signals and dog whistles, right, and as an attempt to.
Speaker 3: Hopefully prevent them from expanding their power.
Speaker 2: And we may have succeeded in education, but we may have failed in the prevention.
Speaker 3: Of them seizing power.
Speaker 2: And that also makes me kind of question the effectiveness of certain tactics. And it's now very odd to see things that we you know, argued for visibility around to kind of be used in ways that don't really make sense. That it's it's it's kind of like trying to tame a monster that you've partially created. And it's so frustrating to me because, I mean, one person who I was lightly arguing about this on line was was saying, like, this is not numerology, and we don't have to be just okay with a clear attempt to normal white nationalist rhetoric. And like, first of all, like codes aren't rhetoric. Codes are codes, and the textual fascist sentence is the rhetoric. What they're actually like saying which has like proto fascist or fascistic aspects, that is the rhetoric and they're doing it. Is there somebody out there in twenty twenty five who's gonna finally realize that DHS as an agency has fascistic underpinnings via a chronically online Twitter user explaining that if you count words and turn certain captize letters into numbers, it makes a secret Nazi message.
Speaker 3: Is there one person is going to become convinced to us? No, that's not the purpose.
Speaker 2: And so trying to conceptize this is like we have to make sure we call out the use of Nazi rhetoric that doesn't apply to this specific thing that we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also like I think, you know, like I think we've sort of kind of just to some extent, we've just failed on the normalization for it, because again, like it's the President of the United States. Yeah, this is the official account of the Department of Homeland Security. It has already become normalized because they have power. The only way to denormalize it is not actually to do media critique. It's to like actually oppose them. But that's scary, that's scary. Report to marry Meia. Do you know what's easy posting on X the everything app Yeah, this is how this kind of conspiratorial worldview actually empowers the state, because the central conceit of the conspiratorial worldview is that there is a nearly all powerful agency that controls in apparatus that enables it to basically control any events that it wants. Right, this is why you can stage things. This is why I can recollection. This is why it can like I don't know, like it can just like magically like disappear anyone. It can replace them with anyone. It can stage any protest movement it wants to, right, And I think you've seen this a lot in the American case, where like I see people who are like genuinely well meaning leftists who are convinced that if you do anything to resist the American State, you will immediately be killed because the American state is all powerful and irresistible. And that's just fascist propaganda. Yeah, you're falling victim to the panoptic house. Yeah, but it's fascist propaganda that fits into the narrative structure of conspiracy. And because the state is dangerous, right and can hurt you, it's very very easy to you know, accumulate structures of evidence that support the emotional sort of core of this thing that is just literally fascist propaganda. People are resisting the state every day, right, Why is ICE fucking doing patriot prayer tactics and fucking like hiding people in like fucking U hauls to jump out and grab people. It's because when they tried to fucking mass we stomp them, right.
Speaker 2: And when they drive around in their cars and you can see them.
Speaker 3: Through the window, everyone follows them.
Speaker 2: People can follow them around and alert their community members on where ICE is.
Speaker 3: Like again, mother motherfuckers and fucking Lulu Levin shit, are like screaming at ICE agents when they try to arrest people, like yeah, that's the actual condition we're in.
Speaker 2: And like, yeah, regular people. And that's why I find some people who would be you know, self described as like anti fascists or self described is as leftists almost falling into this trap like more so than others. And it's a little bit evident of something that like I've described as like the forever twenty sixteen, how we're all kind of stuck in the mindset of this twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen twenty eighteen era, and where you have this unwillingness to realize that that's not the political situation on the ground anymore. We are actually not in Charlottesville. This is a different situation. This is twenty twenty five. And one other like defense of this, you know, code hunting that I've seen people say is quote, Nazis love playing games like this, so it's important that we call it out. And another person saying, quote, this is a fun little game for their group chats while they kill and disappear people, unquote, and like, first of all.
Speaker 3: This is not a game.
Speaker 2: This is actual people's lives, who are who are being deported, who are being sent to foreign prison camps. These are not games. And and I think that view of like anti fascist like education risks repeating like the Okay symbol debacle right where dog whistles end up being created or spread further due to this gamified version of like Easter egg anti fascism. It's kind of like the Barber streisand effect where you end up almost accidentally making them start doing the thing, which Nazis always have that like frustrating impulse because they're the little bitch boy ideology. I think as a rat limit put it one of one of my favorite posters, and like, I'm not saying that Nazi signposting should be ignored, but I think we should be thoughtful and careful of how we do it. To recap the Okay symbol thing that was invented as like a fake dog whistle to try to trick leftists into convincing like the media, and had then having the media trying to convince the people that anyone who uses like the okayhand symbol is secretly a fascist, and this scheme worked, and eventually the Oka symbol big came an actual symbol used for fascists to identify each other through this ironic detachment because it was being talked about in the news as a secret Nazi symbol, even though this whole thing was like invented as like a joke online. And I'm afraid I've started to already see a similar thing happen with the fourteen words dog whistle, with an increased use of the fourteen words and invoking the fourteen words among far right accounts, specifically because of this whole debacle with the dhs gov account and there a heritage to be proud of homeland worth defending American Progress like ethnonationalist posting. And I truly cannot say one way or another if that American Progress post had a intentionally embedded fourteen words dog whistle inside, I can't. I can't tell you that. And the point trying to make is that it kind of doesn't matter. But the way we talk about dog whistles does matter. And as frustrating as it is that, sometimes this feels like we're just living in the meme where the Nazi starts shaving his head because everyone's calling him a Nazi. That is how Nazis work sometimes. And I don't want to play into this attention spectacle that they so badly want.
Speaker 3: But you know what I do want right now? Is it the process and services that support this podcast.
Speaker 2: Another ad break, that's right, be sure to listen for the third and fourth hidden clue in these ads.
Speaker 3: All right, we are back to briefly take a small tangent here. I think there is something very important about like the fact that role stuck in twenty sixteen, which was sort of like the peak of irony right as a social affect, has left us really unprepared for now where everything is just sort of like, you know, they're just doing it and saying it right. Yeah, And it's not this sort of like irony pill deniability shit. They just do it and people are just not prepared for that.
Speaker 2: They're able to wage this war kind of on both fronts, and I think they are still pushing this. I'm going to quote from a friend of the pod rat Limit, one of my favorite mutes quote prediction, the Nazi salute will become common within two years. Right wingers will half asset for plausible deniability, mimify the backlash, and then start fully doing it quote unquote as a joke to quote unquote troll the Libs for being hysterical enough to think that they were doing it in the first place. Fascism is a little bitch ideology because it's too timid to enact as cruelty until it can frame its cruelty as retaliation against others for anticipating it. And this has been proven right faster than I think what rat Limit predicted. There's this current trend on x the Everything app where white girl aspiring influencers are doing Nazi style and trying to mimify the backlash. Several posts going viral of these of these like aspiring influencers either at the pool or cooking or doing laundry or walking your dog while having a your arm in a Elon Musk, my heart goes out to you Nazi salute style fashion. Yeah, and I think focusing media attention on someone like Musk doing a Nazi salute makes sense, right, he is like an actual person affiliated with the government. But making a whole media bled just about random blue check Twitter girls, Maybe not so much. Maybe that doesn't have any actual value if a random like a random Twitter poster from Missouri is trying to garner backlash by doing a Hyle Hitler salute in their kitchen next to their instapot.
Speaker 3: I keep coming back to the thing that I wrote about the original Loss salute and about the ways that everyone, you know, like one of the functions of capitalism is that everyone has been trained to experience the world and think in the image of action instead of like actually existing things. That's what I want to talk about next. Yeah, Yeah, let's do this, Let's do this. Yeah, go for it, go for it.
Speaker 2: No. I think part of this focus on like these hidden codes and even just like these messages online is a liberal opposition to the aesthetics of deportation, but not necessarily the act itself. It's carrying out deportations in a mode that seems not in line with like neoliberal governing. And that's I think what a bunch of the backlash being focused on the aesthetics of the Trump administration, Like how they film like gaudy ASMR videos that they post from the White House account of deportations and use military planes. Those are aesthetic differences, and those differences may be important, and they're they're bad, right. I'm not saying these things are good. Those things are still bad. Yeah, But when that gets focused on slightly more than just the pure acted deportation itself, that I think is evident of being trapped in this like capitalist realism, being trapped in this like like this neoliberal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the society of the spectacle exactly right.
Speaker 2: Let's like in June, Ice arrested thirty thousand people and did eighteen thousand deportations. In May it was twenty four thousand arrests in eighteen thousand deportations. Since February, the Trump admin Has averaged about fourteen thousand and seven hundred deportations of month. The highest number of deportations ever was in twenty thirteen under Obama, averaging thirty six thousand a month. The Biden admin averaged almost thirteen thousand. When the Trump administration started using military planes for deportations back in January, mainly as an aesthetic choice that triggered backlash and rejections from Mexico and Colombia. Mexico refused to allow US military aircraft carrying deported migrants to land in their country. Columbia also barred two military planes full of migrants, but later caved as Trump threatened unitive tariffs. You can see the same thing about deploying military to the border, something that Biden also did, but has a larger aesthetic backlash under Trump. Do you have something you want to say on this like image aspect? I have some quotes from Fisher and that's kind of all I have left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it is very fitting of our styles of politics that you're going to Fisher here, and I'm going to Benjamin. Benjamin is quoted in these sections that Fisher is pulling from as well. Yep, yep. So I'll go into the source. I'm not going through the fucking cru bullshit like pop marksis running doc but no, but like, you know, like one of the things that that Walter Benjamin, who people genuinely really should read. He's one of the great original theorists of fascism, and he fucking died trying to flee the Nazis. And one of his arguments was that, you know, one of the cores of fascism is the replacement of politics with aesthetics. Right, that aesthetics would have allow you to you know, feel represent like feel representation instead of do the action. And this is this is an analysis that has been sort of like folded through a whole bunch of different analyzes of how capitalism functions. Right, This is this is one of the three lines of the society a spectacle, and it's this real issue that we're dealing with now because again kind of in a sense, what has happened to everything, right, And you can argue to some extent that like our channel being called cool zone media is sort of this is that all politics from every side has been completely reduced to aesthetics. And completely reducing it to aesthetics allows like allows the fascist mode of politics to simply draw in a bunch of people who can sort of just now passively experience living through these sort of through this sort of collection of images and this emotional aesthetic. Yeah, and it also is doing the same thing to us. But the thing is they have the fucking state and we don't, right, And so if you don't fucking exit, if you don't exit the sort of mirror world of esthetic of sort of like a fucking living in images, right, and you know, go do the actual shit that the Boord is talking about in the society a spectacle, were you and all your friends formed workers councils and fucking start taking all of the ship back from all of the people who were taking it from you. You're just gonna live in the fascist time heare forever.
Speaker 2: I mean, you could look at the union resistance to icedy importations, specifically in LA with russaurant workers that it's literally doing that. And like I would argue, like now, it's not so much that fascism is politics as aesthetics, but especially now, it is an aestheticized politics. And you can even see that in so far as its focuses on you know, like race and like ethnic purity, like blood and soil. That's why they're posting American progress, driving out the indigenous people with the aryan white lady carrying the torch of progress. It is an asceticized politics on like a very pure level. And again, to quote from my goat, uh this antiat quote Mark Fisher in captus ualism quote, ultra tarianism and capital are by no means incompatible. Internment camps and franchise coffee bars coexist. Neoliberals, the capitalist realists par excellence, have celebrated the destruction of public space, but contrary to their official hopes, there is no withering away of the state, only a stripping back of the state to its core military and police functions.
Speaker 3: Unquote. This is very similar to something.
Speaker 2: That me and Mia talked about right as Trump got elected, in terms of the state becoming more removed but hostile.
Speaker 3: Yeah, although although I see again I disagree official here, because the neo liberals understood what they were doing to begin with. They were never trying to wither the state away. That was just the lies that they told the fucking basses.
Speaker 2: Like sure, I mean, that's what contrary to their official Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's like you know, quote, such a.
Speaker 2: Blight can only be eased by an intervention that can be no more anticipated than was the onset of the curse.
Speaker 3: In the first place.
Speaker 2: Action is pointless, only senseless. Hope makes sense. Superstitious and religion the first resorts of the helpless proliferate unquote. This is part of what I conceptualize as this code. Hunting is almost a form of this hopeless superstition to continue quote. The catastrophe is neither waiting down the road, nor has it already happened. Rather, it is being lived through. There is no punctual moment of disaster. The world doesn't end with a bang. It winks out, unravels, gradually falls apart. What caused the catastrophe to occur? Who knows its cause? Lies long in the past, so absolutely detached from the present as to seem like the caprice of a maligned being a negative miracle, a melidation which no penance can ameliorate. The turn from belief to aesthetics, from engagement to spectatorship is held to be one of the virtues of capitalist realism unquote. And yeah, that's what me is talking about with Gidebor and society of the spectacle. That's a trap that I think a lot of people are falling into right now. And though it's arguable that living in a liberal contradiction may be preferable to fascist authoritarianism, that sullys that mean it's like good, right, That's not what we're arguing here. Fisher then quotes French philosopher Alawn Badeu quote to justify their conservatism. The partisans of the established order cannot really call it ideal or wonderful, so instead they've decided to say that all of the rest is horrible. Sure, they say, we may not live in a condition of perfect goodness, but we are lucky that we don't live in a condition of evil. Our democracy is not perfect, but it's better than bloody dictatorships. Capitalism is unjust, but it's not criminal like Stalinism. We let millions of Africans die of AIDS, but we don't make racist nationalist declarations like Lamosovich. We kill Iraqis with our airplanes, but we don't cut their throats with machetes like they do in Rwanda.
Speaker 3: Unquote. And already parts of this are slightly outdated. Oh yeah, because.
Speaker 2: Now, but this is the thing is both are tragedies where millions people die right. One of them is through the aesthetics of neoliberalism. The other one is through asthetics of racist nationalistic declarations, which the Trump administration is currently playing with. That is what they decided to do, and so the reaction to it is on this aesthetic note, not necessarily on this pure actual humanistic opposition to deportations as a process that is inhumane that we should not allow at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I see the logic of this all the fucking time, talking to people, where like we'll be like, okay, like no deportations, and then you get a whole bunch of people being like, wow, but what about criminals just like some some deportation. What is this is the structural logic of the original like deportation blitz from Trump.
Speaker 2: Creating a class of undesirables that you can then always add to and press the border on, like what Karl Schmidt talks about.
Speaker 3: This is the structural logic of fascism. Yeah, but everyone everyone thinks about deportations this way now, and they're mad that Trump is doing it and not Biden. But you know, until people actually break through the sort of pere opposition to the aesthetics and actually start you know, having a kind of totalizing opposition to the system that is doing this. We're just going to be stuck here.
Speaker 2: And this is I think one of the limits of using anti fascism as this, like aesthetic code hunting, is because a few days ago the THS posted a Woody Guthrie song, his song America the Beautiful, with the DHS posting the promise of America is worth protecting, the future of our homeland is worth defending. Notably, everyone in this video is all white people, which this sentiment is the same thing as the fourteen words, except it has fifteen words, so therefore not a Nazi dog whistle. We're safe, guys, We're good. I counted the words. There's fifteen of them, so you can disregard what the actual text is saying. And I think that is like the prime, the prime contradiction in which I am growing increasingly frustrated. So that's most of what I have to say say about the limits of Nazi coode hunting and the aesthetics of superstition and the paranoid style in American politics. Mia, do you have any any final wyse Wise notes.
Speaker 3: The time for Nazi code hunting, if there ever was one has passed. It is now time to end the episode right here.
Speaker 2: That's right, it is related for anything. Oh and if you were able to decode the hidden message in the ad break, send the contents of the message via email to your local congressman to redeem your prize.
Speaker 3: By bye.
Speaker 1: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever.
Speaker 3: You listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can now find sources for It Could Happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.