Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first, Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm not going to make your talk golf on today's podcast, but I do have to show you something.
Speaker 3: You just saw Happy Gilmore for the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know the funny caddy and Happy Gilmore.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I think I think you might add early here. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: His son became a professional golfer who now has almost won two of the last three majors, one of the best in the world, named Will's alic Worth.
Speaker 4: What a story.
Speaker 2: Wow, isn't the resemblance somewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah? No, he looks a lot.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Not his son, but they.
Speaker 4: They look like unaccepted it.
Speaker 3: Oh not your.
Speaker 2: Father, not knowing, but they look like they could be.
Speaker 4: That was great. One day, I'm going to get you back like that exactly how you just did.
Speaker 2: Oh you are all right, challenge accepted. All right. Welcome in another episode of What's Right with Nick Wright, the podcast and the YouTube show. After a marvelous Father's Day, which we will discuss was marvelous for a lot of reasons. I hope all the dad's out there had a wonderful Father's Day. I hope all the single mom's out there got a little Father's Day love. You know, this is almost a point of contention in this house. Ye once all a time, my wife, your mother was a single mom. Yeah, we got Mother's Day in Father's Day, and now there's Father's Day for me and Mother's Day for her. And there was a period of time, not anymore, but where there was almost a little bit of like like, hey, why yeah, So for everyone out there, I hope everyone, all families come in all different shapes and sizes.
Speaker 3: Ope you auto wonderful Father's Day.
Speaker 2: I spent mine kicking ass in an international poker tournament. We will explain that at the end of the show. It is a true story, and to be honest, a truly glorious story. But before we get into what we are going to talk about on today's show, which is some breaking news that happened just about an hour before we recorded the podcast, let's start with, as we always do, what we're not discussing on today's show. Here's what did not make the cut. Matt Fitzpatrick winning the US Open. It was a thrilling finish. I'm sure you were locked in for the final, you know, for the final eighteen on Sunday to Monday. Serena playing Wimbledon. That actually is exciting, and Bart Scott saying Peyton Manning was scarier for defenses than Tom Brady. That actually doesn't surprise me at all. However, we are still in the afterbirth, if you will, of the NBA finals of the NBA season. So we're going to start with the NBA, and I think start with some NBA breaking news. Demonse, Oh, look at you see. I don't even know if you did this on purpose, but today is our first show post NBA, pre NFL. We're technically the only major sport going on as baseball, and you are wearing a Mets Jersey that I don't know where you got or how you have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they won last night, just showing support.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Oh did they Oh I was unaware.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I got you just now. I got you ways sooner than But they didn't win last night. I don't think they even had a game.
Speaker 2: Okay, my guess is they did have a game, and they might have won. They're actually quite good. So let's find out if you did back to get me. The thing with baseball is they play almost every day. The Mets lost last night, so you did get well played, well played, even though it was a little bit of luck involved. You got me way sooner than expected. You got me live on the show. That's no problem. All right, what are are we starting with? Let's get to the actual show.
Speaker 4: Sham's report. Kyrie and Nets are to impass. Yeah, might be a free agent soon and seems like the Lakers, Clippers, and Nicks are interested.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: So did like Katie and Kyrie like have a fallout? You know what happens here and what happens next.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, I don't think Katie and Kyrie had a fallout. I now listen, I'm not reporting anything on this, But from what I deduce, it's not about Katie or Kyrie having a fallout. It's about the Nets trying to retake control of their franchise. The Nets wanted Kevin Durant, he wanted Kyrie Irving, so they remade the franchise in their image.
Speaker 3: It seemed like good idea.
Speaker 2: Then when Katie missed his first year and Kyrie was in and out that first year, they made him get rid of Kenny Atkinson, which appears to have been a huge mistake, at least in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Kenny Atkinson's going to be in the show.
Speaker 2: I think actually the DeAndre Jordan you had to sign DeAndre Jordan, you that had to give DeAndre Jordan minutes that that was a mistake, And so much of the drama surrounding the Nets over the last couple of years is not the fault of Kevin Durant, except the fact that he, you know, teamed up.
Speaker 3: With Kyrie Irving.
Speaker 2: Kyrie Irving's one of the least reliable excellent players in sports history.
Speaker 3: That's not an overstatement.
Speaker 2: Reliability from a personality standpoint, from a professionalism standpoint, and from an injury standpoint. He's about as unreliable as any future Hall of Famer in any sport that I can remember.
Speaker 3: And now I think the.
Speaker 2: Nets are in a spot where they're like, we're gonna be damned if we're about to watch you opt out of this last year of your contract and then give you a four year max. So I think that it would appear soured the relationship. Kyrie is doing what he does, going on Twitter and tweeting, you know, indecipherable memes. You just tweeted a gif of brother moozone from The Wire, which I listen. I am as big of a Wire fan as anyone in the world. Once upon a time, I thought I was writing a book on the seventy five most who our best characters in the Wire. All I know i'd do is lists, so I actually sketched that out. But I can't decipher that Kyrie tweet. But here's what I know. The Nets are playing a dangerous game because as unreliable as Kyrie may or may not be, he is still clearly and unequivocally your second best player, and your third best player might be more unreliable in Ben Simmons, and he could walk for nothing. I know everyone is saying, oh, well, the teams with cap space like San Antonio or Orlando, He's not going to go there.
Speaker 3: Agreed.
Speaker 2: The Knicks would make the cap space and he could still live in New Jersey and he could just sign with the Knicks.
Speaker 3: Sign with the Knicks outright.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the Lakers would do what they could to try to sign and trade for Kyrie. We've been talking about a three team, Russell Westbrook to somewhere, picks and role players to the Nets, Kyrie Irving to the Lakers.
Speaker 3: We've been talking about the show for six months.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's plaw, if that's realistic, but I know Sham's put them on the list, and he put the Clippers on the list.
Speaker 3: Go ahead.
Speaker 4: You think Kyrie would rather go to the Knicks than the Lakers, No, but it is he could teams pushing pushing for him.
Speaker 2: Well, the Lakers cannot sign him as a free agent like Kyrie Irving can opt out of his deal. The Knicks can make a few moves which they will be able to make, and he could just sign there. The Lakers would have to execute a very complicated trade that would involve a team having to get Russell Westbrook and the Nets would have to cooperate. So it's just a lot harder to get to the Lakers or the Clippers. But we have been talking about the honeymoon period with the Brooklyn Nets ending for quite some time. Little like inside basketball stuff, Joe Side, the owner keeps firing team presidents, like they went through another team president this year, a guy I actually knew a bit. He's not happy they would appear the.
Speaker 3: New York Daily News report of this.
Speaker 2: I think he's not happy with the revenue compared to the money outlaid. Obviously not happy with In the three years of kat Kyrie year run, Year one out and round one, Katie and Kyrie don't play in the playoffs. Year two out and round two, Kyrie only plays part of the second round.
Speaker 3: Year three, the.
Speaker 2: Only team in the league swept in Round one. But I understand why they don't want to give Kyrie the full max. I wouldn't want to give Kyrie the full max. But you're running the risk of what are you going to do? Try to reset the thing during another year of Kevin Durant the tail end of his prime. It's dangerous, but this is the you know, this is the cost of your own decisions, which is empowering Durant, which meant empowering Kyrie to a position that he had that Kyrie Flatley had not earned and had not shown the responsibility to be able to deserve, if you will. And after the year he was promoting himself to assistant GM, which is I'm sure these shocked negotiations aren't going well. It's like I was gonna be negotiating with myself, fellas. All right, what's next?
Speaker 4: Golden State Warriors keeping Kenny Atkinson's but Kenny Atkinson Sorry, yep, but there's still change to come. Wiggins is in his last year of his deal, Looney's about to be a free agent, and pools up for any sension. Yeah, Steph thinks that Kamingo, Wiseman and Pool were the next big three.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: The Warriors seem to be building for the future, but still are also chasing a title next yep? Is that possible? Can you do that?
Speaker 2: Well? I think they showed you could do it this year. They didn't trade They had two lottery picks. They not only did they not trade them, they drafted two of the youngest players in the draft in Kaminga and Moody. Two guys who didn't see the court at all in the finals. Right. They drafted Wiseman a couple of years ago, the year they had the was the number two pick, and he never played the flat just never played. And now he's been hurt. So that's not because they didn't want him to play. So they kept all those assets.
Speaker 3: And just won the title.
Speaker 2: Now, right now, they're the favorites in Vegas to win next year. I do not buy that, and I understand that I am setting myself up.
Speaker 3: Did you know D. L. Hugly? You know? D. L.
Speaker 2: Hugly is obviously you don't know, you absolutely know.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, if I if I seen him that hugely sounds familiar, he had a.
Speaker 2: TV show, you would absolutely recognize him. I'm gonna show you his face real quick. The reason I'm bringing up is this guy is putting me on his TikTok page. My old Andrew Wiggins take. That Andrew Wiggins take is gonna outlive me.
Speaker 3: So hold on, that's D. L.
Speaker 4: Huger.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and so of course, so all these folks roasting me for the Wiggans teake, Well, eventually that's kinda have a show play.
Speaker 3: So let me give you guys.
Speaker 2: Another one, man, I don't think the Warriors win another title anytime soon. I just don't you. I'm gonna say something else. I you went title at last forever, it always counts. There is no asterisk, none of that. I didn't think that team was this great. They just won the title and never faced elimination. I didn't think they were that great. So who should be the favorites? The damn Milwaukee Bucks obviously should be the favorites. Okay, And in the West, I the Clippers are gonna be demonstrably better, The Nuggets should be better. The Lakers can't be worse. The Hornets and Grizzlies are on the uptick. The Hornets, sorry, the Pelicans and Grizzlies are on the uptick. Minnesota is not a contender, but they're on the uptick.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 2: The only team in the West who you expect to be worse definitely is Utah and maybe Phoenix, and so I under the Warriors get massive credit for holding onto these young guys and still winning the title. But no, I don't think that the favorites, and I don't think that I think their chances of repeating are slim to none.
Speaker 3: All Right, next.
Speaker 4: Okay, so bigger loser in the finals than the Celtics Kevin Durant. Okay, Steph pasted on probably just about everybody's top ten lists, including yours. And that thing that you said about this isn't a part of the question, but the worst possible outcome that could have happened to Kevin Durant, it happened to him.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, and let's stay there just for a second before we get to the question, because I do try to be fair and consistent with this. Thirteen months ago, I was on television the day after we went to I don't think you were in New York yet, So I went with your mom and your sisters to Game five, Round two nets Bucks and Barclays. The best game of Kevin Durant's life. He had doing this from memory, but I think it was forty eight points, either seventeen.
Speaker 4: Or nineteen res every minute of the game.
Speaker 2: Can assists played every minute, no Kyrie essentially, no Hardens on one hamstring beats Giannis. Looks like they're going to win the title. Yeah, Steph had missed the playoffs.
Speaker 3: In back to back years.
Speaker 2: In that moment, the post KD Steph breakup, if you will, could not have been going better for Durant.
Speaker 3: He missed one year with injury, but we knew that was happening.
Speaker 2: The two years without him, Steph hadn't played in a single playoff game, and Durant looked like the best player in the world. Since then, it ain't been like that. And so, just like there was a point in time where last year's playoffs looked like the best case scenario for the Durant versus Steph discussion, this year's playoffs where he gets swept, he doesn't play well, the team that sweeps him loses Steph, and Steph wins the title and plays great.
Speaker 3: That is the worst case scenario. That's not it. Neither one of those is hyperbolic. But what's the question?
Speaker 4: Uh so Katie and Draymond coming at him, and I mean not Katy and Draymond, Draymond and fans coming at him on social media and Charles Barkley said that Katie has to win the title while in the driver's seat. Yes, so your Twitter pin pals or mates with Kevin Durant. Yeah, get Kevin.
Speaker 2: Duran and I are are were I don't know if for friendly, but I think I think the relationship is in a better spot than it once was, So go ahead, So are you going to defend him? Here's what I will defend Kevin Durant on. You can't defend the playoff series. What I will defend him on is this, And Berkley's right. The thing, just like Step need to check off a great start to finish finals.
Speaker 3: Finals, MVP on his resume.
Speaker 2: Katie needs to check off win a title outside of the incubator of Golden State on the resume.
Speaker 3: He needs to check that out.
Speaker 2: Okay, However, where I will defend Kevin duran is this, because what is happening right now is people are like, oh my god, he made such a mistake. Why would he leave Golden State because we've told him to the whole media said, your legacy will be trash forever unless you leave, unless you go win somewhere else.
Speaker 3: And then the whole media is like, oh.
Speaker 2: My god, you could have won seven titles with.
Speaker 4: The Step and he should have went and won the seven titles.
Speaker 2: Well maybe, but he would have gotten me. So if I'm Durant, I am a little frustrated. I'm like, you gotta be kidding me. You've got to be you guys all said I.
Speaker 3: Had to leave.
Speaker 2: I left, and now you're like, you're such an idiot for leaving. Like that's a if your parent has a owns a car dealership and you're like, and you're like, your first job out of college, go work for the car dealership, and then you become an executive vice president of the car dealership, still got your dad's.
Speaker 3: Name on it.
Speaker 2: You're making money and you're doing good, and everyone around you it's like.
Speaker 3: You need to go prove it on your own. You need to go go.
Speaker 2: You can't just following you. You can't just take over your dad's business. And then you go and a year laterone's like, man, what happened all that money you were making? What a terrible decision? So stupid you had it made you'd be like, dude, you told me I had to leave. And so in that regard, I totally defend Durant. And here's the other thing I will do fin Duranton. And this is where sports are not really fair.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: There were two guys who were and I apologize, we once again have failed the clock. There were two guys who were starting players on championship level. Teams that were playing in cities with vaccine mandates that weren't vaccinated. One was Kyrie Irving, one was Andrew Wiggins. Andrew Wiggins got vaxed, Kyrie Irving didn't get backed. Kevin Durant has no control over that. Does anybody think the next season goes as disastrously if Kyrie makes the decision Wiggins did? And does anybody think the Warriors season goes as well if Wiggins makes decision Kyrie did so. Duran Durant's got no impact on that. Steph benefits, Durant gets dinged for it. Let's go another level. Both of these teams had a third level player. One in James Harden, goes totally a wall Haywire, quits.
Speaker 3: On the team and leaves.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other, Jordan Poole, goes from g leaguer to briefly like, oh my god, is he a twenty point per game guy?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Duran has no impact on that either.
Speaker 2: So that's where I think he understandably gets a little frustrated with some of the media narrative stuff. So I get that. With all that said, he's got to do better.
Speaker 3: He's got it. You can't get swept in round one and shot thirty eight percent. That's not good. All right, last thing quickly Philly.
Speaker 4: Hard and likely to sign a short term deal in Philly. Yeah, report there's reported a three year dealers in the I'm sorry is likely the outcome. Yeah, you and Daryl Mory are really good friends. Yeah, but this call, could you know, really screw him in the long run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So listen, here's the deal.
Speaker 2: I would be screamings throughout giving James Harden any money the way he looked and the way he's quit on a couple of teams. But Darryl held on to Ben Simmons longer than anyone said he should, trying to get a star. He got the star that he's always wanted. That he did great within Harden, and I think I even't talked to Darryl about this.
Speaker 3: I think they will.
Speaker 2: That that that hamstring.
Speaker 3: Was a huge part of his issues. I know that sounds.
Speaker 2: Ridiculous because it's like he's at the world's worst hamstring injury. But what I've been told about Harden is this one of the things that made him the greatest euro stepper ever was he is a guy who can jump off either leg equally right, and so the lack of explosiveness and strength in that one hand, it does make sense now to me, it doesn't explain the general lethargy, the fact that his playmaking. I mean, he was really just a shell of himself down the stretch. But they've got no other path, and so you've got to just hope that Harden can get back to seventy percent of what he once was, because that's the thing. And now we're going along. I said, I wasn't we have to, you know what, we need to have a show meeting about this clock because I'm terrible at it. But I want to just remind people of what James Harden did forget last year's regular season when people were last year in the regular season, people were arguing, can he win MVP of the league even though he quit on a team that happened in the regular season last year. In the postseason, before he got hurt in Round one against Boston, James Harden this is post the hamstring injury, initially averaged twenty eight, seven and eleven, including a forty one, seven and ten and to close him out a thirty four to ten and ten. That was the thirty four to ten and ten was June first. It was what ten or twelve and a half months ago. So I understand betting on Harden because you don't have any other choice, but yet it absolutely could screw them. But you have Joel Embi, who's one of the very best players in the league. You've got to try to win right now. I've got to try to learn how to make twelve minutes not eighteen minutes.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roblasts, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Darrell Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Tania, and Bobby Canavalli. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back in What's Right with Nick Right by the way, we just came out with the latest edition of our fifty Guards players. In the last fifty years, and that edition was being changed and edited up until the very last moment six weeks ago. It was Steph twelve, Moses eleven, Doctor J ten. Then when it looked like Steph was making the finals, I said, all right, we gotta have this on the fly out of Moses. Then when he won the championship and got that elusive finals MVP, I said, gotta be fair. He's a had of Doctor J. So it's now Doctor J twelve. I'm sorry, Moses twelve, Doctor J eleven, Step ten. It is amazing, by the way, how many people and this is what the Internet's done to our attention spans The graphic says Nick writes fifty greatest players of last fifty years, says of last fifty years.
Speaker 3: Also missing from.
Speaker 2: It is Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Bob Pettittt, George mikeen let Alone, Wilt Chamberlain, and Bill Russell, who wouldn't be revealed anyway, because we're not into the We haven't revealed the top nine. However, the number of people who have tweeted to me, oh, Nick, where's the consistency?
Speaker 3: You said all week? STEP's not top ten all time, and now you have a number ten. It's like you idiots.
Speaker 2: I also did a contest for that contest is now closed. I don't know if anyone won it because there were too many submissions where I said, if you guess one through twelve perfectly, you're going to I'll pay five hundred bucks your favorite charity and five hundred bucks to you cash, cash, app.
Speaker 3: Binmo whatever.
Speaker 2: There were multiple people who might have gotten it exactly right, except they included Wilton Russell on the list, like they didn't obey the rules of the Top twelve.
Speaker 3: It's of the last fifty years, but it should have been.
Speaker 2: Those people should have realized, wait, I'm including Wilton Russell, which means this list all of a sudden doesn't have Larry Bird or Chema lajoh On or whoever they left out that's either here or there. So nine and eight are coming out this coming Sunday, and I think the numbers for both of these guys. Everyone knows how great these players are, or they think they do, but I think the numbers they were jaw dropping for you, de Monsey.
Speaker 3: I think we'll be jaw dropping for the audience.
Speaker 2: Also into today's show, in just a few minutes, we're going to talk about one of my highlights.
Speaker 3: Of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: But first let's get to the rest of the show.
Speaker 3: Demons go right ahead.
Speaker 4: Four days ago, Tyreek Hill said that Tula was more accurate, a more accurate pass than Patrick Mahomes. Mahomes is surprised by these comments. Yeah, he said, offense is about more than one player. Steven Hill was very eager to take a shot or throw Pat Mahomes under the bush. Yeah. So you think Tyreek Hill will be a head case because of his botch decision.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, you can't get everything life.
Speaker 2: Tyreek took the money, Yeah, took the weather, took the security, and the trade off is you go from arguably the most talented quarterback to ever play to arguably not one of the twenty five best current starting quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Tyreek knows that.
Speaker 2: I wish you know.
Speaker 3: Eric Mangini says a lot.
Speaker 2: You don't have to blow out somebody else's candle to make yours brighter.
Speaker 3: I wish he could try to.
Speaker 2: Build up to a without taking little shots at Mahomes.
Speaker 4: Because then it puts two in a weird position.
Speaker 2: But it also becomes less believable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if he was.
Speaker 2: If he When he said the quote that Tyreek said that, I think people were like, oh, okay, Tyreek said something along the lines of, hey, I went nine catches for buck fifty four with Matt Moore as the quarterback.
Speaker 3: Once two is ten Matt moorees.
Speaker 2: I think people were like, okay, maybe, but when you start trying to compare two with to Patrick Mahomes, no one believes you, and it feels like you're overcompensating. Do I think Tyreek, if things aren't going well, could become a handful?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: Listen, Tyreek was one half of the most important play in Chief's history, wasp to pull that Super Bowl out of the fire. He is a future Hall of Famers, one of the greatest receivers of his era. I also think that, let me put it like this, if he puts up monster numbers anywhere close to what he put up with the Chiefs, then I think he was He's a future, and I think he's underrated. I don't think that's gonna happen, however, and I do think that this could be not great for Miami. I also think Miami was hoping they were gonna have Tom Brady. I think there was a lot. Yeah, there's a lot there all right.
Speaker 4: Next NFL reportly wants to significantly or maybe even give Deshaun Watson a full suspension.
Speaker 3: Full year suspension.
Speaker 4: Yeah. One might think that means that the Browns want to keep Baker around. Yep, brown so, But the Browns are so eager to get rid of Baker they were willing to pay the Panthers half of his salary.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Is it too early to call Deshaun Watsons trade? It's just total disaster.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think it's too early. I don't think it's too early at all. And I think that there is a chance this goes down as one of the biggest errors any team has ever made. The Cleveland Browns won one game in the two years before they drafted Baker Mayfield. They were one in fifteen, and then Owen sixteen, and then he got for real. Then he got there and they won seven games his first year.
Speaker 3: His second year was no good, and they.
Speaker 2: Had Freddie Kitchens as their head coach, maybe the worst coach I've ever seen. His third year, they won a playoff game and were in a one score game.
Speaker 3: At Arrowhead against the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: His fourth year, they were three and two and the losses were to the Chiefs and I forget the other one. I think it was to the Chargers, like forty seven forty two, and then Baker got his shoulder ruined and played poorly the rest of the way. They still were hovering around five hundred, and the Browns decided we're gonna torch that relationship entirely to go after someone who as as horrifying of off field allegations as we've seen for any player in the last decade. They made that decision just hoping and praying that this was going to go away. And listen, I am not in the criminal justice system. I am not in the Browns franchise of the NFL front office.
Speaker 3: But what I.
Speaker 2: Would say is this, if you are weighing the pros and cons of bringing someone in, and someone in the meeting is like, well, what if there are more accusers someone else in the meeting, and someone's like, well, what are the odds of that? I would say pretty damn high. When the current accuser number was at twenty two, and when it was already at twenty two, the idea that it wasn't going to maybe tick up to twenty three or twenty four was foolish of them, and they didn't do a good job keeping that. I think there is a strong argument to be made that no team should have traded for Deshaun. But if you want to set the horrifying off field out legations aside and talk just football from a purely football perspective, because you knew a substantial suspension was likely in the offing, you should only have done it if you had no core, if you had no hope.
Speaker 3: At quarterback whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Right, and so yeah, I think that this is a potential disaster.
Speaker 4: Baker shouldn't even want to play there.
Speaker 3: Oh, he clearly doesn't want to play there.
Speaker 2: But if and that's the other thing the Browns screwed up, what they should be doing right now is going to Baker Mayfield and saying, listen, it's pretty clear your trade value is not where we want it or where you would like. The teams you could possibly go to are going to be worse teams than us.
Speaker 3: Yes, we've made it clear you're not our quarterback of the future.
Speaker 2: However, let's help each other out here, right, you play for us for eight to sixteen games, this season, you can rebuild your value. We can contend, and then this if it's the whole year, you're a true free agent. After this year, you can go get paid out. If it's midway through the year, you can show the league you're still a viable, real starting quarterback. But I don't think they've handled this well at all. And I think they forgot they're the Browns for a minute, and they're like hovering.
Speaker 3: Around five hundred. Isn't good enough?
Speaker 2: You won one game in the two years before Baker walked through that door. Now, there's other things that went along with that, but there are also other things that went along with his struggles, not the least of which were his injuries. In fact, that he had four offensive coordinators and four head coaches in four years. Okay, all right, let's play a game. Let's try to end on a lighter note before we get to my glorious father's.
Speaker 4: Day time for two?
Speaker 5: Wrong?
Speaker 4: Is one? Right?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 3: Which big name creation.
Speaker 4: Is worth going all in for? Okay, Out of DeAndre Ayton, Bradley Beale, or Zach Levine.
Speaker 2: Levine is probably the safest because he's younger than bal he doesn't have the injury issues of bal Ayton is a cross off to me. If you want to pay a center max money, I need that center to be Embiid Jokich, Anthony Davis, and Ayton is nowhere close to that. Okay, and I think we saw by the way that you can there are certain teams that can look Kevon Looney made the MAVs pay for playing small more than DeAndre Ayton made the MAVs pay for playing small. That's a problem, right. The question with Bial is the injury. If you guaranteed me three years of health for any of these guys, Beal would be my answer, because of Bill a little bit older and the injury. Zach Levine because injury of the injury factor, I'd say Levine. But I like Bill as a player and as kind of a steady hand more than I like Uh, more than I like Levine. I know that's kind of a copy out, but that's where I'm at all right, Next.
Speaker 4: Okay, uh draft is on Thursday. Yet one of these bet on one of these guys to go first? Yeah, Jabbari Smith, yep chet Homegum or Paolo Bonchero.
Speaker 2: So I was very curious if you were gonna nail all those pronunciations. I'm gonna give you a nine out of ten because you mispronounced Ben Caro's last name. But you did it in a way a lot of people do. You did the and it's.
Speaker 4: Cut son Caro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go, you got it there. So I I'm so first of all, good job by you. Uh my pick would be if i'm the magic.
Speaker 3: Would be Jabbari.
Speaker 2: I think it's probably gonna be Chet, so I would The one that I would be shocked by is bon Carro. I don't think Paulo has any real shot of going number one. I would draft Jabbari. I think they're gonna draft Chat and now, oh it's one of my favorite words, Charlatan's Okay, what's last? What are we doing?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Kenny Atkinson backed out of the Hornets coaching job.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pretty wild. Who had the most egregious flip flops since our shows started? Oh my, Kitty Atkinson screw in the Hornets, Brady's fake retirement, Yeah, or you switching off of the team that ended up winning the finals.
Speaker 2: Okay, mine was dumb, but it came from an honest place. Kenny Atkinson, I think the Words just decided to pay him a lot of money and they said that's a I can get a better head coaching job than Charlotte.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the answer is Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: As me, Dan Levitard and Ben Valin and Mike Floria are the only people that really care about this story. But Tom Brady announced his retirement days before the Super Bowl, and it didn't last six weeks, and it was all a ploy to get to a different team. And now we're supposed to believe he's all in on the Bucks. The answer, unequivocally, unabashedly, unquestionably is Tom Brady. Just as unquestionable as how awesome my Sunday was. We will explain that What's Right?
Speaker 4: I think that was like your fourth time teasing it.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back in last segment What's Right with Nick Right. We appreciate you watching, subscribing, downloading, listening all the ways you do it. I think we're right at fifty thousand subscribers on YouTube. I think our podcast numbers are doing well. I know the Twitter page for the What's Right Show just past ten thousand. We really appreciate it. We'd really appreciate it. If you tell people about the show. You know, if you have a following and you think the show's good, you know, publicize it and I'll pay you in gratitude if nothing else. And now I'm going to tell you a very self congratulatory story, and also I think an impressive story because I am doing this show and I did the TV show. The last time I slept was eight am Sunday morning, so I have not slept in however many hours that is, I can't.
Speaker 3: I'm not doing the math right now because I'm.
Speaker 4: Eight am Sunday morning.
Speaker 2: I woke up eight am Sunday morning, and I have been ups until right now. So Father's Day rolling around.
Speaker 4: Good math, buddy, I mean, come on, good math Buddy's.
Speaker 3: I said I couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: He did it.
Speaker 3: Quickly, Okay. So here's the deal.
Speaker 2: So Father's Day obviously Sunday also Father's Day. I know my wife has trintage to run and her best friend is in from Memphis and it's Juneteenth, and I know they're gonna want to go out and I typically I'm not. I don't really go out and drink on nights for the show. So I knew that there might be a window where she wasn't expecting me to be involved. And I knew his Father's Day, so I will actual lee. Wait, okay, I also knew this. The World Series of Poker is going on right now, and the World Series of Poker is live in Vegas. But there are a few high dollar events that are online events that, because of America's bizarre gambling rules, you can only play if you are You don't have to be from you have to be physically located in Nevada.
Speaker 3: Or New Jersey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So there was one that was starting Sunday at six pm. It was a thousand dollars pot limon Omaha where it's World Series of Poker Circuit Event Circuit Championship. And I said, I want to play in this thing, and I want to figure out how I can play in this thing and still be a great dad. Filled my father's day, figure out the whole thing. So we did the whole Father's Day morning. You guys gave me this awesome sweatsuit. You guys gave me amazing cards, went to a great lunch, and then I went to the old price line, found the hotel with a really nice pool, right across the old George Washington Bridge, and I said to my wonderful children, I'm like, hey, the girls, most notably because I knew you this wouldn't be as exciting for you. But to your sisters, Hey, you guys want to spend the night in a hotel? They said, yeah, so you get go swimming? Said sounds amazing, Like that's really how you want to spend Father's Day. Dad like, well, here's the thing. I'm gonna be the business center hooked up to a you know, hardwired internet connection playing in this poker tournament. Now, you don't sign up for a poker tournament if you don't have the time to play the entire thing. You got to say how long how long will it take for this thing to be over? Because I'm not going to pay a thousand dollars injury and be like, oh, I'll go out in seventy eighth place right and just blow the money. So I obviously have to make sure if I sign up for this tournament, there's no chance I'm going to miss the TV show.
Speaker 3: But I'm also doing I want.
Speaker 2: To play in this tournament from New Jersey, so there's always the chance of like traffic or something. So I brought my suit with me, brought an iPad, brought a computer. Everything I could need, and I had in the back of my brain.
Speaker 3: I'm like, worst.
Speaker 2: Case scenario, I'm gonna have to do some explaining to the bosses. But I'm ana that I was going, I was gonna skype the TV show if you know, if it happened. I was like, I don't think that'll happen, but if it does, at least I'll be dressed and I can say, hey, you know what, I've been having internet issues. I went I needed a more reliable connection, and I.
Speaker 3: Sign up for this poker tournament.
Speaker 2: First place was it was one thousand dollars buy in pot limit, Omaha unlimited re entry, so you could fire bullet after bullet after bullet if you wanted to. First place ended up being over thirty thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Sign up.
Speaker 2: Your sister's swimming.
Speaker 3: They can back, like you're still playing in this tournament.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I am, like, what are we doing for dinner? Like? Well, you guys like five guys, like five guys, Like there's one literally right there. I think five guys will be delivered to this hotel. I can't get up. Five guys comes, they eat. I'm still playing the tournament. They turn on a movie on Netflix. I'm still playing in the tournament. Your older sister wakes up about two in the morning, Padre, Are you still playing in this tournament? Oh? I am, which means I'm on a deep run. You're up there, yeah, three am rolls around. We are approaching what you call the money bubble. Top eleven get paid. Eleventh place was I don't know a couple grand I didn't come to New Jersey stay up all night to win one thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Tell you that.
Speaker 2: So playing all of a sudden, I'm I'm at risk of being the person that bubbles this tournament. So I deep and I say, you know what we're going. We're gonna We're not gonna get tilted. We had we had a we had with fourteen people left a poker players will get this.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: I have the nut flush on a Queen four seven five three Heartburt board. I get. I am the reason I was almost on the money bubble. I was third in chips. I have the nut flush with one card to come. I get the person who's fifteen chips to put all his money in. He has queen queen, so he needs the board to pair or I am the massive chip leader.
Speaker 3: Now there's the board pair. It's a queen. He has quads.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden, I'm low. I fight my way back up. Now we're down to nine. Now we're down to six. We're at the final table. It's four in the morning. Clock's a ticking on the old show. We're down to six people, with three people left. I took the chip lead. Unfortunately, while this story is a great story, it is not a truly one in a you know, glorious story of where I tell you I won the thirty thousand. I briefly had the chip lead. I think I made a really good fold. I'll never know. Two hands later, I get it's plo. So you get drawn out on I'm in a huge pot. We're all short because of the blinds. I end up going out in third for a smooth twelve point eight thousand dollars. It was then four to forty five am, girls still sleeping, drove straight home, left them sleeping. You're seventeen. Totally responsible behavior by me. Did the old zoom Golf of the TV show? Did the TV show soon as the TV show was over, drove back to the hotel, girls eating room service, having the time of their life. I'm Dad of the Year, twelve grand richer. It's on my hind in mob profiles. Shortly, World Series of Poker circuit event added pot limit ovahaul to it had only been we'd only had hold them on there. Now we have all a little plo third place in a circuit event. And you know, I might become a Marriott Bond Voyage member the little points because that's a short little drive across the GW And guess what, they got a lot of tournaments.
Speaker 4: It happens often.
Speaker 2: Oh, the next few weeks, it does, the next few weeks, It sure does.
Speaker 3: During the World Series of Poker, I just got it.
Speaker 2: And if these tournaments are during the day, I could just do what you do for your work, just post up in a Starbucks hang out. You just have to be physically located in Jersey.
Speaker 4: So if if you had, if you had still been you know, in the pot once it got to like second and first place, would you have played that? Would you have played the tournament on the show? Oh?
Speaker 2: If the tournament, if it was down to the final three and it was gonna like seven twenty eight.
Speaker 3: I guess we'll never know.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh, you know, I I don't know what they they pay me. Well, they don't pay me thirty grand a show, so like at some point, like it'd be an irresponsible decision. I've also never taken a sick day, and I would have been sick to have to leave that tournament. So I listened hearing R there, nobody's the wiser. I, however, have not slept. And what DEMANDE says is over twenty seven hours. So I'm going to get a nap and.
Speaker 4: Figure out drinking four red bulls. Say it again, I staid, winning twelve grand it is like drinking four.
Speaker 3: Oh it felt great.
Speaker 4: You're awake off that high.
Speaker 3: Chister's both got a one percent free roll on that.
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: I told him, because they went with me and they supported me, they each got one percent. So they just got one hundred and twenty bucks. Wait, what's what's.
Speaker 4: Going on here? What's one hundred and twenty bucks?
Speaker 2: It didn't come you were invited, and when we were leaving, you were step I.
Speaker 3: So that's where your hundred.
Speaker 4: And twenty bucks is going to do with our one hundred and twenty bucks.
Speaker 2: Uh. I have a pretty good idea what she's gonna do with all her money. It ends up backing my banking.
Speaker 4: What what she got?
Speaker 2: She what you gonna sell a b bank? It just goes in back in my pocket. We'll talk to you guys on Thursday.