Speaker 1: We have this whole, massive community of people in recovery, but most of them are not talking about it. So again, it was this combination of like, Oh, there's this thing that's connected to me that I'm also interested in exploring journalistically intellectually. But then I was like, I'm going to write about dogs. I needed a mental health break.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Off the Cup, my anti anxiety antidote. I hope you're feeling good, but I hear from so many of you that it's hard to feel good when the world around us is so scary.
Speaker 3: And believe me, I can totally relate.
Speaker 2: This podcast is always for me at least, and I hope for you and attempt to be a break from all of the chaos and anxiety and bad news. And in attempting to be a break from all that, we talk about a lot of things on this podcast with a lot of incredible and fascinating people. We share their funny stories, we talk about career highs and lows. We get into mental health, of course, and a thing that comes up so so often. I'm noticing, both in telling these stories and in our attempts to process or distract ourselves from what's going on around us is change. It's sort of like the one constant thread through all the stories we tell, right, because the change is what makes them important and worth telling and worth learning from.
Speaker 3: When we talk to Mark Duplas about.
Speaker 2: His anxiety journey and mine and the way having a nervous breakdown changed us and how scary that was and how we grieved that loss. When we talked to Ricky Lake about everything she survived, including the suicide of her husban and two wildfires that destroyed everything she had, and surviving that abrupt change in circumstances. When we talk to Michael Chickliss about our anxiety over social media and our kids and adapting to a changing world and.
Speaker 3: Fearing it rightfully.
Speaker 2: Or when we talk to Stacy Lindsay about turning forty right and all that means, particularly for women. Or when we talk to Huey Lewis about losing his hearing, or Henry Winkler about the jobs that didn't come when Happy Days ended, or shep Rose about his ayahuasca healing journey. It's all really about change, isn't it, And how we navigate those changes, how we seek out change internally and externally.
Speaker 3: The allure of Reinvention.
Speaker 2: Well, today's guest is a brilliant, award winning writer whose new book is about all of that. Ben Want Denise Lewis is a contributing writer at The New York Times magazine. He's written New York Times bestselling books including America Anonymous, Eight Addicts in Search of a Life, and Travels with Casey, My Journey through Our Dog Crazy Country. He's written for Slate, Detail, Salon, Sports, Illustrated, The Advocate, The New Republic, out Spin. He's a professor at Emerson College, and his new book is You've Changed The Promise and Price of Self Transformation.
Speaker 3: Welcome Ben Wa Denise Lewis.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me Sie Well, I'm.
Speaker 2: So excited to have you. This is such an important topic. And I know you've been working on this book for a while now because we first talked about it several several years ago.
Speaker 3: What then made you.
Speaker 2: Want to tackle this was what was going on in the world? Was it what was going on for you personally? A combination? Talk about the genesis of this book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's always a combination with me, even if I don't realize it at the time. Consciously, I think for me, there were two threads going on. One was could I changed myself and in what ways? And for me that started a long time ago when I wrote a book about addiction, was struggling with my own addiction. I was interested in this idea like who gets better who doesn't? What's the difference? Like what happens? What's the magic formula if there is one? So I was interested initially from that. Then a friend of mine, Michael Glatz, when we worked together at a magazine for young gay men at San Francisco when we were both very young, early twenties, he was the proudest gay person I knew, very political. We had a lot of differences because I mostly he was much more political at the time than I was, and much more of a black and white thinker. In any event, he was the proudest game and I knew. Several years later he decides he's not gay anymore and renounced everything that he had previously said, And so that really got me thinking about change, identity change. So he went sort of from like an atheist queer activist to a conservative, evangelical and culture.
Speaker 4: Fan and straight Yes that's straight, and so and so and so what happened and how did he make sense of that, and how did we the rest of us interpret that change and his shift as dumbfounding as it was sort.
Speaker 1: Of predicted this crazy last decade that we've lived in with so much identity shifting. So if I had told you, I mean, we live in this bizarre world, right, if I told you in twenty fourteen Donald Trump would be president twice, Miloianopolis would claim to be straight, I mean he would you would think I was. I mean, you wouldn't invite me on a podcast.
Speaker 3: So as the Cup would vote for Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, exactly.
Speaker 5: So all of these things, and we've lived in this very contentious, fascinating in some ways, very disorienting, disorienting shift, and people have been shifting in all kinds of ways around gender, sexuality, politics, spirituality, and in the seventies.
Speaker 1: Which was the last time that we sort of had this massive kind of identity shift happen, and so many people sort of looking for answers in a time of confusion and social change and political disillusionment. You know, those folks, they tended to like go to California or join in ashrom And in the last ten years, a lot of those changes have been happening behind closed doors. We don't leave our apartments, and then we narrate those identity transformations. We have to narrate it to the rest of the world.
Speaker 3: There's a kind of social medias, yes, So I.
Speaker 1: Think that's sort of where those two threads both of like, well, what does it mean to actually change, what does the experience feel like for the person going through it? And then how do the rest of us celebrate poo pooh dismiss those shifts? And we see it, you know, we see it most obviously with people who shift their politics, where there's a kind of you know, one side which is like, well, they've lost their mind, they've gone down the rabbit hole. The other side is like they've seen the light. Right, So we have these very like knee jerk instinctual responses often to how to whether it change is like valid or good?
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: So I was interested in those kinds of sort of often knee jerk, not very well thought through responses.
Speaker 2: And I love this and there's I want to get into the politics. I want to get into so much of this and the stories that you tell in this book. But just sticking with process for a second, because I'm in the midst of finishing up my third book, and this one's about my mental health journey, and so I love talking to other writers who've done the same. And we had susan orlean on, and she and I similarly struggled with, like how to write about ourselves because we mostly write about the world around us. It's so hard to write about myself, especially what I've been through. I've really struggled with it. And in this book You've changed, you share a lot of your personal stories as well. Did you start with the decision to include your own stories or did you start out wanting to write about around you and then come to the decision to include your own pov like talk about your process a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this always happens with me, where I have this intention to like, I'm this book's not going to be about me. I'm just going to write about it. I mean, I've always written about other people, but I have ye. In my book sort of the addiction book, I ended up writing about myself because I'm like, I can't write this book about addiction and pretend that I haven't been dealing with these same issues. So, yeah, it wasn't actually intentional in that sense. The Dog book that was sort of a break. I'm like, I've written about addiction. I need to drive around the country with my dog. But even that book ended up like I kind of fell for this person and there was this drama that happened. So that ended up, and I wrote about all my insecurities, does my dog love me? All that stuff? So I did all that, and then in this book again, yeah, the the crux of it was like how do people change and how do we interpret it culturally? And how can I write about this strange moment that we're living in. And then through that process I again ended up being like, wow, well I'm trying to change in some interesting ways. I am changing in some ways, I'm not changing in others. And so where it makes sense in the book, I do sort of veer off into these areas and I attend to a lot of like change workshops, so I write about that kind of experience. I went out to Essoln which is there not treatment center, which is this nice retreat center California coast, and I went there. I ended up writing a lot about my father, who is a writer also who's written about change, and I found myself just turning into my father. So there's the question of, like, you know, we do all these things to control how we change, right, We like assume that we're these were the master of like our change story, right, and that we had to change in all the ways that we want, And then you know, but it's much more complicated that we change in relationship to people. We change because one our tribe has hurt us in some way and we need to find a new one. We change, We just become our parents without wanting to. So there's a lot of ways, and I'm not suggesting that we don't control in any ways. Like for me, one of my goals was to be much more connected to myself, much more vulnerable in relationships, much more open in relationships, a much better friend. And so those were like goals that I had, which I think i've my friends tell me I'm changed, I'm much I'm much better in relationships. So there's ways in which I think that I had these goals that I wanted to shift. So it ended up again having this element of my own story which is always which is always a little scary, I'll tell you, but it's less it is it's gotten less scary for me now that I don't care what other people think so much. Yes, so that has shifted from when I wrote my addiction book, which was terrifying, to this one. And people have read the book saying, oh, you're so vulnerable. I guess yeah, I mean there are things that I keep private. I mean we don't put everything on the page, right, Yeah, that random strangers are not like they don't get to get everything about us, right, But it is vulnerable, And but I think I'm in a place where I that feels less scary.
Speaker 2: My editor was just reading like the latest draft, and he's like, you know, in this storytelling of your mental health journey, your husband.
Speaker 3: Is perfect in the story.
Speaker 2: And I why you're doing that, right, because this isn't about his flaws or his right challenges, right, but like you might want to let the reader in a little bit. I'm like, maybe he didn't get it right every time.
Speaker 3: So I know what you mean, like we don't we don't share everything, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, my husband is in this book in various places. And yeah, but you know, I'll tell you. Like the people as on this theme of like you know, we say we don't change for it, we can we shouldn't change for other people, right yeah, okay, Like that's true, that it's good to change for ourselves, but we change for other people all the time. Other people affect us. And my husband when I look back at at the experience of being with him for the last ten years, you know, it's not like he tried to do this, but his like relentless. I mean, there's things that he would like to change about me, don't get me wrong, but his generally his relentless sort of acceptance of me as I am, without wanting to change me, like changed me. Like right, oh wow, I can be this person can accept me me for and even without realizing it, that acceptance really like healed something in me.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 2: Oh and that's such a great point. We're going to get more into the book, but first I want to get to know you a little bit better for our audience.
Speaker 3: I always like to ask what kind of kid were you?
Speaker 1: So I write a little a little bit about this in the book. Right, So, I'm I was a kid who I grew up in San Francisco, the rare kid who grew up like in the city. My parents sort of both like progressive San Francisco types. So my mom is French, so they divorced when I was seven. I would go two weeks to each of their places, which was fairly disorienting, and I've talked to them about that because they each like my mom was quite strict and my dad was like, do whatever you want. And then so I had these very diferent sort of expectations. I think I was a you know my memories. I remember being very happy in middle school. I would just play sports with my friends and sort of and then high school came and I felt like a lost tourist in high school, Like I I think that I was well, I wasn't consciously dealing with the fact that I was gay, but I think that was underneath it. I felt totally I didn't feel cool in the way that I had in middle school, and I felt really really insecure, didn't know what I was doing. At the same time, I like tried to keep busy. I wrote plays for the school that the school produced. I played sports, so sort of from the outside, if someone was looking in, they might have said, oh, this kid hat sort of is doing fine. I was not doing fine. I was really really insecure, struggling to connect with my parents, unable to tell them anything about my fears. Yeah, it was not ideal, so but I was always I want I knew I wanted to be a writer, and my parents, even as they disagreed about most things, really agreed on that. They really were incredibly supportive of this idea that I would write in some way. And initially I was going to be a sports writer, and I then I wanted to be a playwright, and then I sort of ended up being this magazine long form magazine writer and writing books. So I guess the kind of kid I was was really compartmentalized and disconnected from my true feelings in a truly staggering way. When I look back on it. You know, most kids, not most, a lot of young people, especially in high school, struggling with their sexuality. It will be like WHOA am I gay? Like what does that mean? And should I come out? And like what is it? You know? But I never even let myself have that thought. I was so compartmentalized and in denial. So I think, yeah, I think I was compartmental and in denial a lot as a kid.
Speaker 3: Were you I relate to this a lot? Were you?
Speaker 2: I know, you went to like a French international school. I know you went to Midil. I also went to private schools and then a very good Were you like a high achiever for most of childhood?
Speaker 1: Yes, though a bit of a slacker too. I was a high achiever who in the sense that I did like a lot of things, like I edited the paper, I wrote plays, I played sports. I was that kind of high achiever, and in class I was pretty good in the classes that I cared about. Unfortunately, I went to as you said, I went to this French American school and they made you take math in French and in English. So I got bad grades in two classes as a post just one. Right, there's this different philosophy about like what math is and how we do math, so that was frustrating. So I wasn't good at like math and like science and stuff like that. But in other English street that kind of stuff. I was interested in the things I was interested in, and then I sort of checked out of like math.
Speaker 3: I feel like whatever.
Speaker 2: Like when you're a high achieving kid for whatever reasons, like whatever made you that way, you get really good at compartmentalizing because you've just got to push through and you don't want everything to collapse, right, So you're just trying to keep everything, at least the artifice of everything sort of somewhat intact and so, right, you won't connect to the way you're really feeling until much much later.
Speaker 1: No connection to the way I was feeling. I mean, really, looking back on it, I'm like, how is that possible that I was so so, so so disconnected.
Speaker 3: Because you were great at compartmentalizing, yes, and so.
Speaker 1: A big part. And I started to get a little bit more connected in college. I sort of, I don't know, I felt like I started living again in college me too, I came out, you know, so, but then then then sort of quickly again, I started to struggle with addiction. So it became this this thing. And then since then, since my mid twenties, when I realized I was struggling with addiction and started this path of Like my dad says to me sometimes he goes, you know, in a way it's very sweet. He's like, well, I'm really proud of like all the things that you've done to try to like connect with yourself and sort of get better. And when he said that, I was like, oh, I guess I have been trying to do that for like since I was twenty five and I'm fifty now, so you know this this, Yeah, I've been on this kind of journey to try to like understand myself and get better. And then you know, I write a lot about that in this book. I write about that sort of that process, yeah, which you know is very confusing. And then you know, we get to this point where then we try to like say, well, this led to that, and then I did this, and it all you know, we try to create these narratives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a hero's journey, and try to create a hero's journey so that it all sounds okay to us, right.
Speaker 1: When in reality there's a lot more mystery and uncertainty to this than I think. But that's not very satisfying to people, this idea that we like that there's going to be a mystery and we don't really know why we get the way we get.
Speaker 2: So, yes, what kind of writing jobs do you get after college?
Speaker 1: So? I, well, I grew up and I was lucky. I ended up first going working in a newspaper in outside San Francisco. Then I worked at x Y magazine, which was this really amazing magazine for young gay men in the late nineties early two thousand, it was this like back then you could still think you were like the only gay kid in Iowa. So this magazine was incredibly meaningful. We would have we would have young young men all over the country writing us and being like, thank god, I found this MA magazine, you know. So we felt this like deep responsibility to because we were helping a lot of people. And that's where I met Michael, who was like, you know, incredibly he inspired so many young people. He had a way of connecting and inspiring them. And then when he went X gay, everyone was like, well they were a lot of the readers were incredibly like confused by that and what does that mean? So yeah, and then I started writing for sf Weekly, which was this weekly, wrote cover stories for them, and then I started writing for magazine. So that's sort of my my arc. And with magazines, I you know, I love, I loved and I still love being able to immerse myself for weeks or months inside communities oftentimes of people who were unlike me, Yeah, and trying to understand them and write about them. So I wrote about I've written a lot about teen Christians in my twenties, and that was a group that really fascinated me. And I say this a lot to my students. I say the fact that I have written about and spent so much time with people unlike me has been the biggest gifts of my life because I just learned that I could connect with people even if we disagreed on things, Yeah, in a way that some of my friends don't have that feeling because they haven't experienced that. Now. I think that Trump era has tested this ability to sort of find common ground with people that we disagree with it. And that's been really disorienting to me because I've always found myself I have many conservative Republican friends I have, you know, even though I'm not that, and and I've always loved that even as we disagreed on things. The last ten years has been a test of those kinds of bonds and this question of like how we communicate with people who are different and really interesting. And I write about Dave Fleischer who goes deep canvassing in this book about sort of how do we change people's minds? And Dave is amazing because he you know people, he'll go to their front door, and a conservative we'll say, I'm not going to talk to a liberal and then you know, and then Dave just charms them and connects with them, and like thirty minutes later they're like, do you need to leave so soon?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And so creating this this this heart connection in a way. And so this question of like how do we this is sort of a thread in the book, is like how do our beliefs both about ourselves and the world shift? And so that's a thread that I'm particularly interested in, especially during this time. Yep.
Speaker 2: And we're like I said, we're going to talk more about about politics in a minute, but just one more before we get into the book. When when nine to eleven happened, I was twenty two, I was living in Manhattan, I was a writer, and it changed everything, not the least of which was what I wanted to write about. And so nine to eleven is why I shifted from writing about sports at the New York Times and like culture to politics, and that sort of defined my career. Now, you end up writing about something incredibly important and you wrote about it a lot, sexual identity and mental health. Was that an intentional decision to sort of carve out that niche because it was important to you? Or did you just find yourself really drawn wanting to write about that important topic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good question. I think that it was probably a combination. In my twenties, I was like, I was writing about things that I was like navigating, right, so identity and sexuality and LGBT life, and I sort of felt connected to a lot of that stuff, so I could know sort of the scene. I think about the example of I had I forget what year, this was two thousand and six or seven, anyway, two of my friends in their twenties were like gay friends were like I got married, and I'm like, you're twenty three and you're gay. What do you mean you got married? This was like a different time, right, yeah, And so I and I was like, oh interesting. And so I ended up like I was interest, well, what does marriage mean to you as a gay man who's twenty three and one of these first folks who were doing this? And so I ended up writing a long piece for The New York Times magazine about that question what did marriage mean for this first generation of like twenty something gay men who were getting married. So a lot of the things that I ended up writing about were sort of connected to like my my area of like life, right, and so I would get connected these And then I also think I was just interested when we think about mental health again, I was navigating this stuff in my own life and with addiction it was I was really I came in addiction thinking like, you know, we we don't think about this in very nuanced ways. We have this whole massive community of people in recovery, but most of them are not talking about it, and we because because of the sort of the the idea of anonymity in this in that program. So we have this whole culture where there's this whole world of people in recovery, we're not thinking about treating addiction in very smart ways. I was struggling with my own so again it was this combination of like, oh, there's this thing that's connected to me that I'm also interested in exploring journalistically intellectually. Uh so, you're right, those are two threads that have that have always been there. I guess we psychoanalyze me why why those why those subjects?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: And then but then I was like, I'm going to write about dogs because I needed I needed a mental health break, and even that ended up not being that.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, Okay, let's talk about change.
Speaker 3: The allure of reinvention.
Speaker 2: And I want to ask you about reinvention in a second, because I've sort of a complicated relationship with that. But the allure of reinvention, it's just so powerful and it's ubiquitous today. You can find it literally everywhere you look, from like the megachurch and its promise of reinvention and transcendence, to like skincare commercials, to social media and the promise of reinventing yourself. There the self help guru, that whole community. Why is transformation such an appealing idea right now?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's always I think we need to start with It's always been an appealing idea, so sort of you know, if we think think throughout, well not always, but you know, when we think pre mid nineteen hundreds, when the concept of sort of identity in the self, and then in the seventies we sort of see new age culture coming, you know, before that. And there are exceptions to this, like Buddhist ideas of change and all that, but essentially, we did not change for ourselves. We changed for our church, We changed for the honor of our family, we changed for these out you know, for the for the original life coach in the sky. You know, we changed for these things that were outside of us. So the idea generally that we would have some inner thing that we're searching for and that's going to sort of guide our change is a relatively modern phenomenon. This idea, I'm not changing for anyone else. I'm following my purpose. I'm going to be the person that I should be that I am. So this kind of thing is fairly modern. I think that if we look at the last ten years, starting in about twenty fifteen, identity becomes this really all consuming idea. And I think that there's a way in which it's not probably completely disconnected from the fact that the last ten years have been so disorienting and so crazy making. And you know, when we live in a world that feels like we can't control it. And I talk to a lot of my students and there's this overwhelming sense in some ways they've never known anything different, right, because they were you know, they've only known really as this last ten year period of and so and my students are are often telling me like, I don't know how I can impact the world, And it feels like sort of impossible. And so I think when we can, when we struggle to sense that we can like impact the world in some way, we look for the things that we can control, and that is some sense of how we identify uh and and we can put the focus on ourselves. In the seventies, when when so many of the anti war protesters were disillusioned, they're like, well, what do we do now? And they went to sort of meditation a Schram's. There was this like we're going to change the world by medical.
Speaker 3: Cults, I right, and cults yes, not surprisingly.
Speaker 1: Yes and so and so now I ask my students like, well, what's going to be your thing? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Your generation?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's going to be what are you going to try to sort of be the change?
Speaker 3: What do they say?
Speaker 1: So I'll as that in a second quick thing, the last after my book. So Gandhi did not say be the change you want to see happen Gandhi, So al Gore has been saying this for years over many people have been saying, you know, as Gandhi said, So Gandhi had that idea, But it was actually this woman, Arlene Lawrence, who's in her eighties, who lives in a retirement community in Arizona, who said who first coined the phrase in the early nineteen seventies, And so I went to visit her, and she's very fun and kooky, just about sort of like, well, what does that mean today? So anyway, so that's really interesting because we've just been there's so many quotes that we just assume are from people that are not from those people. When you do five minutes.
Speaker 3: And it's Arlene in Arizona.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's Arlene, and and she goes in like she's very She goes to strangers in the she's she hugs everyone and strangers in the supermarket and she says, what's the most important thing in your life? And she says it with this way that people do not banish her from the produce aisle. They just sort of they sort of answer in a weird way. So anyway, so she's fascinating. You know. They really struggle with like how they're going to be the change today A lot of them. There is this thing that's happening really like in the last six months or year, and the Times and other places have sort of written about this, which is this like sense that so originally they would answer, well, it's sort of depressing. I think we're just going to go into our phones and it's just that's going to be We're just you know, one student's like, well, we're just going to do the activism like online, We're just gonna you know. And so but there's been this fascinating shift in the last six months where a lot of my students are saying, Okay, the phone is crack, I am completely addicted to it. Social media is crack, and I need to disengage so my stocks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so huh, I'm seeing that too.
Speaker 1: In some ways. Yeah, and they're they're you know, and the adults, so the rest of us are like, oh, yeah, these kids addicted to their their things. I mean, we're addicted to our court ours. I mean, it's it's crazy, this kind of like, oh, these kids so addicted to their like adults need to look in the mirror here. But you know, I'm seeing a lot of them sort of saying I can't this, I can't live like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so just this promising.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's this attempt to unplug and we're going to I'll see it. And I don't know if enough people are going to do that, But we'll see what happens. There's a real scene.
Speaker 3: Like no, no, I've seen that too.
Speaker 2: But I've also been seeing very recently, like same six months, this movement among young people to go to church, and like, especially in places like New York City.
Speaker 3: I just read this whole article about like the hottest meet up dating scene is at church on Friday night.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I don't know how represent representative that is, but like it does seem to be a nostalgia among young people or an urge among young people to go back into something safer, more comforting, right, less scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. I mean the you know, the data on church is a little mixed, but yes, I do think there is there is for some folks that is happening. Yeah, I think people, young people that I'm seeing, you know often in class, are are really struggling with that. I became really interested, and I talked about this in the last chapter of the book about and this sort of came to a head several years ago, where this sense of how do we like, how do we live our lives and attempt to sort of change and to be the change while also consuming all of the bad news that we consume on a daily basis and people being like, well, how do I do that? Like I want to stay informed and I also don't want to start my day with this news and feel completely depressed. So with with with Russia and Ukraine, there was this moment where both NPR and actually Fox News wrote pieces that were like, you don't need to watch the news all the time. You can protect yourself in some ways, and it was the response to that online was crazy. There was like how generally from the left, which was like how.
Speaker 3: Dare you disengage?
Speaker 1: Disengage? Right? So this this question of like the responsibility of like engaging versus disengaging. There's this been this like self care moment true about how do we make how do we like because if we're if we're drowning in sorrow all the time, like our brains were not meant to take in the amount of information that we that were taking in know what was happening in our family, like at the campfire nearby, like that's what we were designed to do. And so this question of like, well, how do we change like can we change ourselves if we're just sort of paralyzed by bad news? And so figuring out that balance as becomes really important to my students. I write about it in the book because I struggle with that and many other people do as well. Where is the balance there?
Speaker 3: Totally?
Speaker 2: We talk about it all the time on this podcast because it's that push pull, I mean, especially in what I do for a living. But you don't have to do it for a living to feel this way of like, well, is it privileged to disengage and set boundaries and you have the luxury, you know, to decide, Well, I don't need to know all of it, or I don't have to, you know, be an actual activist.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the guy in Ohio I forget in two thousand and sixteen the New York Times, I forget his name. I write about him briefly in the book. It was like, I'm going to the blockade. He moved to a farm in Ohio, and he's like, I'm not I don't I'm not going to watch anything. I'm going to not follow any I'm going to be the change in my little area. But you cannot tell me the news of the world. And that was a huge sort of explosion of anger towards him because he, you know, he had money and he was privileged, and that is a kind of privileged position to be able to do that. But he was sort of asking this question, which I don't think is completely unreasonable, of like, what actually is gained by sort of knowing everything all the time, right, like for the average person. And I'm not sure that much is gained from knowing everything all the time.
Speaker 2: But there's also the question of what good am I right for the causes that I care about, right if I'm you know, a pile of depression and paralyzed by all of this. So, I mean, I think it is a really interesting area to mine, and we're all still kind of trying to figure out where the sweet spot is reinvention.
Speaker 3: We need to talk about this.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I've kind of a complicated relationship with it.
Speaker 3: I've had to.
Speaker 2: Do it several times, and it never being my first choice to reinvent right, it was always somewhat painful. I definitely came out of every reinvention stronger and better off. But still it feels like we can try to make changes we didn't ask for seem better by injecting this agency of reinvention into them. So it feels like we've got some control over it, but it feels also like very much a false comfort for someone who never wanted the change in the first place. So as someone maybe on the hero's journey, as you're trying to reconstruct your narrative identity and put this thing that happened to you that you have to now reinvent after like talk about that and where we put that in our own psychees and how externally we're looking at reinvention and putting this like sort of positive spin on a change we didn't really want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we there's many areas, but I think we certainly see that with political identity change. So if we think about folks, I find I find it fascinating that the narratives and the reasoning that we need to come up with for changing our political identities. So typically if you think about and we talked about this, even the first time that we talked, and you said something very very common, which is, you know, I didn't change my party changed, right, Oh yeah, And that is that is kind of the the reason it's fascinating because like with so many different kinds of identity changes, we actual truly need we say yes, I changed, see me, validate me, I have this new identity I changed. I figured out who I was. I I see I I and we really need buy in like I changed. Yes, political identity shifters are fascinating because they pretty much will say and this is absolutely true. I think it's true in your case, but I would push you to look also at like I think political identity changes often don't if we think about let's say, take let's take Chadwick Moore, who was who was sort of on the left, a gay man, and he wrote this piece about Milo Yanapolis for Out magazine, which which progressives and the left and many of his peers got very angry about and and got and were very sort of critical of the piece. And I think Chadwick and I talked to Chadwick more about this, got very was like shocked by this, by this reaction, and then moved right uh and became a huge Trump supporter. He had a real big political shift. And and his when we talked, his reason for this was well, I just I you know, I I saw the light. It became clear to me that that you know, it was framed as this kind of intellectual realization of that that he would that he was wrong. And then the and the right was was right. And in reality, what happened, and this often happens for for many folks, is he was in deep pain because his group, his tribe, turn turned on him. And he would not admit this to me, but he was in deep pain. And when we're when when our group is attacking us, we look for comfort in another group. So for Chadwick and for many, you know, David Brock had the same experience changing changing back. You know, there is this way that we that we we we construct this idea. So Bob Inglis, the South Carolina congressman, he used to be a climate change denier. He and and he his family again, and he has this great line he says, he says, the heart decides and the head justifies. And for him, it was his family who said, you know, you should really look at this. You're wrong on this issue. He okay, He's like his family is pushing him. So he starts looking into it, and he talks to people of faith who were also you know, trying to tell him, yes, this is real. But they were talking to him in a way that he could understand, in a language of faith, and he ended up changing his position on this issue and said this great line. You know, the heart decides and the head justifies. So I think there's all these ways in which that is true, that there are these forces that are sometimes clear and sometimes less clear, that are there for us, that impact the way that we make these changes. And then in certain cases, and often when it's political, we have to sort of make the idea that this was a purely like head decision, a logical decision. Yes, I came to understand something new, when in reality, in many cases of change, there is this deep yearning for connection, for community, needing a new place to find a home.
Speaker 2: You know, it's really interesting because what I've seen a number of colleagues and friends do exactly what you're describing. They got attacked by their own side and then went to the place that had some comfort, right. And I think that's really understandable. I've seen that a lot in media and politics. I don't know if I'm doing the thing you said not to do, but like I.
Speaker 3: Don't, I I don't believe that's what happened to me.
Speaker 2: And in fact, when I was talking about my reinventions, I wasn't talking about politics at all. I was talking about having.
Speaker 3: To quit Boston Ballet.
Speaker 2: As a you know, older teenager and give up my dream and then invent a new life, and then having to reinvent mid career, having to reinvent after having a nervous breakdown. But for me, the political part, when I say my party changed, like literally, it's not that they started attacking me.
Speaker 3: They didn't. They wanted me to believe them and stay with them.
Speaker 2: And what I saw sounded nothing like the things that drew me to conservatism in the first place.
Speaker 3: Because that left That was the first disorienting part.
Speaker 2: Right, the place I had gone for conservatism was absent, was gone, it was jettisoned because the principal didn't care about it, and so then everyone stopped stuff. I didn't go to a new place. I didn't become a Democrat, right, even though these are my new friends and I appreciate that, But like I didn't need comfort. I just needed to sit in my own truth and feel like I wasn't going crazy and I had my conscience intact and saying the things that were.
Speaker 3: Right to me, whoever they went against.
Speaker 2: And so that means now, you know, I'll call out democrats, I'll call it republicans, I'll praise democrats, occasionally praise Republicans when you know, you figure out something to do, right, But like, that's that was. So when I say I did not change, I really mean that. Yeah, I didn't become a damper. I didn't change all my principles and.
Speaker 1: All my value and yeah, and there's certainly and I trust you when you say that. That feels true to me from what I know about you.
Speaker 3: But what you're saying also makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're also a little bit more introspective than so many of these folks who are like, you know, there's all these stories like what happened to this, what happened to the you know, yeah, like the New York Times and stuff will sort of be like try to understand these shifts, and they'll ask the person and the person I asked like they really not thought about this, you know, they're they're like, like, well, no, my party just went crazy. And again that happens, like parties shift and we're in this big realignment and like all of this stuff is shifting. But yeah, I'm always shocked to the lack of introspection among some folks around this. And I, you know, in trying to write about this shift. I wrote about two people in my political chapter. One who is this gay socialist friend of mine who I met in my twenties who sort of threw the not uncommon process of like realizing he didn't like wokeness and then trans stuff and then sort of became more conservative. And then I wrote about these two young people, one mostly at Seapack, this young conservative activist who I never would have predicted would shift. I mean, I met him in twenty eighteen at Seapack and he was like, like this trumpy kid, and he's now a Democrat, and the question of like, but then everyone interpreting, like his friends are like, well, he moved to New York City and he's a lawyer, so he had to take on this new identity, and so we're.
Speaker 2: Always like, yes, projecting something on top of it.
Speaker 3: That happens to me too. People will be like, well, CNN did that to her? What do you mean? What what? What?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: I could make so much more money if I just went mega.
Speaker 1: Trust me, I know, I know, And so it's fascinating because but it's it's it's really hard for people who change their political identities, most of whom are not famous, right, they have to often like move friends. I mean it's like a big I think that's.
Speaker 2: Really deleterious that we have made our political identity so so important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but listen, I think it's important to really and this. I've become fascinated by this. We are always narrating our changes and having we need other people to believe them and to and to echo them. And nowhere is this scene more clearly then. And I have a whole chapter on this because I found it so fascinating with murderers going up for parole who literally half it's a performance of transformation that is going to get them paroled. They have to prove to these two strangers in like these long sessions, psychological sessions that go back into childhood and all the work that they have changed. And sometimes even when they do, the Governor of California will step in and say, this often happens, like it's bad, that it's really bad to like murder someone who's famous. Then you're much less likely to get out. And there's these political cases where like a person's transformation sort of becomes irrelevant. You know. That's another thing that fascinates me, Like, like who's what are the cases where we say, all right, it's great that you changed, but it really doesn't matter because of what you did previously. And so for a lot of these these men who get paroled, they were very lucky. They got they got life with the possible ability of parole, and then they for some of them in some California prisons, it's like therapy all the time. You can just like one of the guys wrote this memoir and he's like, man, now that I'm out in the real world, I'll tell you, I wish I could find people who were doing the work the way the men were that I was hanging out with in prison.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: He just felt he had found this group of men who were like full time working to transform themselves, going to all these kind of workshops and all that. It was a very funny line. He's like, now that I'm out in the real world, I can't find people who are like as introspective and working to change themselves. I thought that was very funny.
Speaker 2: It is and that's so interesting, and I think that's very relatable too, even if you haven't been incarcerated. I have a colleague who I worked with on TV. This person got was fired, and I think really struggled with losing that part of their identity. And I have watched this person go restively deeper into these sort of self help settings, retreats, classes, gurus, life coaches, like it's constant and never ending for years, because I think it can become a bit of a trap sometimes. I think there's a side of it that can become a bit addictive.
Speaker 3: Can you talk to that at all? Have you seen any of that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, certainly, I think so. I did a lot. I did a lot of those kinds of things, and I went to a lot of these workshops, and psychedelics can become their own kind of thing, and so, you know, I think what happens is that we can and there's a lot of people in the psychedelic world that are making these claims and promises even though psychedelics are can be really healing and amazing transformative when done in the right way. I've experienced it. I read a little bit about it in the book. You know, I spent this guy who I met at ESSL and who then you know, sort of helps people through these psychedelic experiences, you know, says this. He's like, Yeah, there's a lot of people who say, well, if everyone just took mushrooms, you know, the world would be healed, and he doesn't believe that, and he sort of makes the claim that a lot of these sort of psychedelic evangelists are not truly healed, and because they're skipping a part of it. There's you know, it's spiritual bypassing is sort of the term where where you know, we do these things, but we're not actually doing the like the work of therapy, the work of therapy. So I became really interested both in like therapy. I have a therapy chapter because like, what does it mean to change in therapy? How do we change in therapy? I find that all fascinating because I've tried so many different kinds of therapies, and you know, it's I mean, it's you know, I had a therapist that, you know, like in her child work, where she was very unconventional. She's like, put pictures of your parents to a to a like a punching bag and like eat them with a baseball bag. And I didn't. I didn't. I didn't do that. I love my parents. But but and then you know, so I've tried to all these different kinds of therapy we don't write about the book, so yes, but I think we can become dependent. There's this joke we can become like addicted to these transformational workshops. And the struggle is like you can feel incredibly like if I go to ESSLN or do one of these transformational workshops for a week, like I feel transformed by the end of it, and I'm like, oh, like now everything's going to be fine. And then and then you get back to the real world and it is everything is not fine.
Speaker 3: And right that high again that control.
Speaker 1: The question is like how do you how do we make in our daily lives? How do we create the conditions in our daily lives that make it so that we can have little pieces of these things that we have at these transformational workshops, because what typically happens or you go to treatment for addiction, you go, you have this major experience, and then you're back in the real world and you need sort of tools to continue to do that. And again, this is a position of privilege, like not everyone can afford those tools. Not everyone can afford to go to these places, you know, not everyone can afford therapy. Yeah, so there's a way in which a lot of this is is you know, is we're lucky to be able to access these things, and I'm certainly lucky to be able to access the therapy.
Speaker 3: That there's a class element to this for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, once again, this is such a great topic. It's so timely. The book is you've changed promise and price of self Transformation.
Speaker 3: You can go order it now.
Speaker 2: But while before we let you go, we like to end with a lightning round.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's fun fun. Okay, who's your favorite author?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm going to say the last great book I read? So my favorite writer, Tom Juno.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's your favorite work of fiction?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I have so many. I'll say by my friend Scott High Mysterious Skin. Okay, I probably haven't heard of it yet.
Speaker 3: Nope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's your best tip for dealing with writer's block?
Speaker 1: Take a shower? Okay, yes, so take a shower or go for a walk. I find that all of my I mean this is less well, no, it's really it's about so if I'm struggling with structure, how going to structure this thing? Yeah? I take a shower and the water coming down on me. I get great answers amazing. Yeah, So take a shower or go for a walk.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I do?
Speaker 2: Sometimes I'll pretend you have to be alone to do this. I'll pretend I'm being interviewed about this part of the book.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I'll anticipate, because this is what I do in my life, right, I anticipate what someone's going to say or what someone's going to ask, and both as an interviewer and as a guest. So I'll anticipate what the interviewer is going to ask me, and then I'll invent an answer and maybe I'll do it a couple of times until I get something that sounds really great, and then I'll go write about it.
Speaker 1: Wow. Do you actually speak it out loud?
Speaker 3: Yes, so you have to.
Speaker 2: Be alone, but otherwise it sounds crazy.
Speaker 3: But I talk a loud a lot.
Speaker 2: Just as I'm talking through the things I'm going to say on TV or what I'm going to write about, you know. So that's natural for me. But like when I really can't figure out where to go or how to say it, or even what I want to say, I'll pretend I'm being interviewed and on the spot. Wow, and so and then I'll have to answer, and if I don't like it, I'll do it again.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating. That's a idea. You're you're a preparer.
Speaker 2: I'm a rehearsal. Yeah, so if I rehearse it in my head or even out loud, then I can just go and do it. But yeah, that puts me in a place where I kind of like like I'm jolted into like having to know huh when I don't if I'm just sitting in front of a blank page. Okay, anyway, what's a concert to see before you die?
Speaker 3: So someone you haven't seen, but you've got to.
Speaker 6: Oh god, someone I have not seen? Who I've seen? I've seen so many? Maybe yeah, maybe too?
Speaker 2: Okay great. What's your favorite thing to eat at a baseball game?
Speaker 1: A Polish sausage?
Speaker 3: Okay, in Chicago or anywhere?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Anywhere? Yeah, yeah, I eat a Polish sausage. Yeah. Any kind of hot dog, yeah, but polish.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. What's your favorite film?
Speaker 1: Oh god, I don't know if I can answer that. I will say I'll pick the Famous My favorite film when I was a teenager and I would watch it before basketball games, and it's Hoosiers.
Speaker 3: It's a great film.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's probably my favorite. It was my favorite movie growing up. I would literally watch it before basketball games to sort of hype myself up.
Speaker 3: A great time to watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, I know you spent some time in Boston. That's my hometown. What's your favorite thing to do in Boston?
Speaker 1: My favorite thing to do in Boston. So I live in Jamaica. Plane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a pew right and town.
Speaker 1: Yeah town. So maybe my friend my friends who love Boston, it's probably to leave Boston and to and to go and to go to the Cape, or to go to New Hampshire or Vermont. My thing to do in Boston, let me just think. Uh, I would say the Arnold Arboretum walking around there. Yeah, it may be my favorite thing to do in bond Now. I love, I have a, I have a. I have a complicated relationship with Boston. I wish it was different in some ways. I don't know if it's cool enough to be as expensive as it is. I don't know. I hear that it's it's yeah, but no, I love Boston and I love I love Jamaica Plane, and I love Summerville, and I love Cambridge, and I love the kind of I love my friends here, and I love the the intellectual kind of energy here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, this is the final question. It's very important to me. We ask it at the end of every podcast. When is it iced coffee season?
Speaker 1: It is always iced coffee season. Yes, and I have one. I actually only drink one a day, and it's right after lunch, so I am not a morning I'm a morning tea person. And then I have lunch and then I have my ice coffee to sort of start the second half of the day.
Speaker 3: It's a great time to have it. How do you have it? How do you take it?
Speaker 1: Well? I put a little bit of milk sometimes ice latte. I'll tell you I'm half French, and when I go to France, this is a big problem. I don't know if you've ever tried to get ice drink, it's you know, and then the person will she'll be like in French, she'll be like fine, and then she puts you in a couple little.
Speaker 3: Ice cubes, chips, ice chips, ice chips.
Speaker 1: As if that's gonna do any melted by.
Speaker 2: The time they get to your mouth. I know, yeah, no, it is a problem. We've talked about this on the podcast. We talk about coffee a lot, the iced coffee problem, and we've had some people do hacks where they order a cup avice and they make kind of a slurry.
Speaker 3: But it's really crazy that, like you just cannot get it.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. Although I'm my husband is checking. I'm there all the time, and so in Prague I can get really good ice puppy.
Speaker 3: It's really mostly for ud No, it's Italy too, trust me.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, but ice is one of my if you told me, one of my favorite thing to do in Prague. It's amazing and I everyone should go.
Speaker 2: I love that. I spend some time in Belgium. You can get iced coffees in Belgium. There's there's good iced coffees in Belgium.
Speaker 3: They know what they're doing there.
Speaker 2: Well, Ben, well, thank you so much. This was really really fun and I really appreciate it. And thanks for talking about the book with us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for having me. This was really it was a good time.
Speaker 3: Thank good. Okay.
Speaker 2: Gaed Off the Cup is a production of iHeart Podcasts as part of the Reason Choice Network.
Speaker 3: If you want more, check out The Other.
Speaker 2: Reason, Choice Podcasts, Politics with Jamel Hill, and Native Land pod.
Speaker 3: Off The Cup.
Speaker 2: I am your host, se Cup. Editing and sound design by Derek Clements. Our executive producers are me Se Cup, Lauren Hanson, and Lindsay Hoffman. Rate and review wherever you get your podcasts, Follow or subscribe for new episodes every Wednesday,