Speaker 1: Indies recently rediscovered swings, like just how fun swings are, and so I took them, took them to our park and you know, we walked to the park near us and I was putting them on the swings, and then I was thinking about our rope swing. Do you guys remember the rope swing at our house?
Speaker 2: Yeah, in Redwood chair. Yeah, that was the most that was the most fun thing ever. And the next time I went it had been taken down because somebody had broken their arm.
Speaker 1: No, they're back.
Speaker 2: Oh even better, Okay, let.
Speaker 1: Us people breaking their backs around you. Yeah, it's a thing. It's an adventure. Yeah. So we had so we where we grew up, there was a a guy who owned like the acreage below us, and so we would always end up on his property. And it was this Russian guy named Serge old God, yes, of course it st for Sergio. I don't know. We just knew him as Papa Surge. That's what we call him.
Speaker 3: Oh my.
Speaker 1: He he was actually, you know, in retrospect, probably the nicest guy in the world. But we were terrified of him because we were always sneaking onto his property and he had a bunch of dogs. But he also had this giant rope swing and I don't even know if he had put it up or if it was on the property left over from loggers, I don't know, but it swung out over this lake on his property, and we knew about, you know, he would bring us out. We would go over there with our parents as kids and like, swing on this rope swing. It was epic. You could let go of the rope and jump in the water. And then, of course as we got older, we started sneaking over at night to swing on the swing at night, and that became like we would be each other and go and do it, and we'd be terrified of the dogs and the surge going to catch us.
Speaker 2: So what time was this, Like how old were you and at what time were you sneaking out of your parents' house at night to break into a neighbor's yard that had violent dogs to swing on a rope.
Speaker 1: So we started camping out in our meadow at the base of the edge of our property, and that so we would already be there like on the edge of the property, and then it would be like you want to make a mission, and so that would be ten eleven years old. That started and then we would you know, big camp out. Sometimes it would be like ten of us, sometimes it would just be three of us, four of us. And then yeah, so then we would start to make missions into the woods, into surges woods and try and find the ropes swing in the dark and like at night, and we wouldn't use our flashlights to be terrified of getting caught. And then we'd swing on the ropes wing and it was like so exciting but also you know, terrified. And then when we were when I was, I guess fourteen or fifteen, so Shiloh would have been. He was definitely sixteen at the time. So yeah, so he's sixteen, and he decided that we should have our own ropes wing on our property. And so he did all this research and figured out how to build this incredible ropes swing that required He had a friend who worked for a tree trimming company or whatever. So they got the like the spikes that you wear on your feet that you can stop kidding me what they got professional tree climbing equipment, climbed two redwoods on either side or like overlooking our meadow, climbed like one hundred feet in the air, and installed cable so there were two cables running from two trees to a middle point, and then the rope hung down from that, and then we set up a ladder that was a ten foot twelve foot orchard ladder on the edge of the woods or on the edge of the meadow, and so you would climb up the ladder and then jump on this ropes wing and just or out over the meadow. And then we didn't have to go to searches anymore. Then we had our own ropes swing where we were camping, like where we would camp. So it just became like what we would do with everybody who cameboard or our property. We would like at some point we'd be going swinging, and it became like people were doing flips off of it. People got really good and tricky. Let's see, Yes, one person broke their arm. As we were kids, they fell off, okay. And then when I was doing the graduate tour, you know, we had a big party because we did we opened the show in San Francisco, So I invited the entire cast up to our house for a big like barbecue cookout day and night, and like you know, it was like thirty or forty of us and it was a great day and the rope swing was a big part of the day. We all went down and we all went on the ropes swing, and there was one guy who was he was the male swing, so he was the understudy for all the male parts. You know, you have your swing, which is the person who just has to step in in case anybody was sick or injured for any of the parts. Ironic, He yeah, exactly, and he loved the rope swing. And we realized at one point, like it we had all had dinner and all been hanging out the house and we realized he was missing, and we were like, oh, he went down to swing on the ropes swing again. So a bunch of us like got together and sure enough found him like swinging in the rope swing, and then we all started taking turns and then he i was like, you know, after about thirty minutes of swinging together, he was like, oh, let me go one more time, and he jumped on it and it snapped and he fell from jumping off of the like ten foot ladder onto the thing and then just hit the ground, landed on his butt, and just immediately we knew it was it was bad. So we're like running through the woods. We'd get the car down there, we'd load him up. He's like, he's in so much pain, and yeah, sure enough he broke his back and he couldn't do the tour like it was awful.
Speaker 4: So the rope swing is no way. I'm confused. You said that it would go out over a meadow, so it wasn't. But people would flip off of it, so it wasn't into water.
Speaker 1: No. People figured out how to do tricks and like dangle from it, you know, by their knees or whatever. I don't know, Shiloh can probably speak to it more, but like I mean, I was just a I was a pretty basic rope swinger, you know. I just kind of like to go out.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, that's all I like to do too. That's that was enough for me.
Speaker 1: That was so much fun. And yeah, I remember when we did grinders, we had the ramps set up down there and the rope swing was there, so we would all like between shooting, everybody that was also ride in ramps with bikes and rollerblades and skateboards would also be swinging on the ropes. Tra I mean, our house was just the death drop.
Speaker 4: It should change it from redwood Shire to like bone breaker tents or whatever.
Speaker 1: Just break something when you come there.
Speaker 4: We had we had we had something very similar here, but it was out over water, right. And then the best we had trellis ones too, where you know, you'd go to like a a creek or something where there was a bridge and you jump off the very dangerous rickety bridge to think or the brave kids would I'd be like, wow, look at them jumping, but yeah.
Speaker 1: That always jump off a bridge and you didn't do it.
Speaker 4: I didn't. I was the guy who was not jumping off the bridge. I was always the guy who was who was too scared to do the kind of like.
Speaker 1: Hey man, we're gonna race, or we're gonna you know, we're off.
Speaker 3: To the side.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, mutual killing myself, but I'd like to do it slowly.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to hurt myself like jumping off a bridge or something.
Speaker 4: By the way, have you, either of you been on a swing set recently?
Speaker 3: Yeah? They make me a little dizzy.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, do you now get nauseous like I do on the swing a little bit?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't think it was gonna happen because I was like, oh, come on, but it does.
Speaker 1: It's a little that's a real thing. Yeah, real thing. I felt the same way.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh my god, swings are so much fun. Oh my god, this is wow. Oh my god, I'm now completely.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You guys had much more adventurous childhoods than I did. I liked to go to the mall.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, you had your mall.
Speaker 3: I had my mall.
Speaker 1: And it depends.
Speaker 2: Give me nice the coffee, being nice blendids and being for BRA's at Victoria's Secret, and watching X Files with my family and having sleepovers on the phone to Andy. That was just you know, that was that was my childhood. So anyway, I do miss the ropes wing. I actually didn't remember that the ropes swing. It snapped in half. I thought he like fell off, not the thing actually disconnected.
Speaker 3: Did they sue you? Yeah, oh wow, they really wait to bury the lead.
Speaker 1: I know, well, I mean, you know, I mean, and it was one of those things. I was like, yeah, but you knew what you were doing. But of course, like he had a I mean yeah, like there's a piece of equipment on your property, and he was like we talked about it later, like I ended up meeting up with the tour later. He did end up going back to the tour like after I left and working and get you know, but yeah, he sued. He sued us, and we lost our insurance. We had to you know, like whatever they settled our insurance luckily settled for us, but then dropped us and we had to get rid of the.
Speaker 3: Ropes wing and like buy ropes wing.
Speaker 4: That is the difference when you grow up with your parents as lawyers. We had a trampoline that no one was allowed to go on unless they signed a waiver. Right seriously, I had a waiver to go on.
Speaker 1: We would have had waivers right like yeah you have to or even like a poster a sign that said you swing at your own risk or whatever.
Speaker 2: But yeah, welcome to Podmeets World.
Speaker 1: I'm Daniel Fishl, I'm rather or strong, I'm wil Ferdell. Guys, what the kids want to jump? Again and again and again.
Speaker 3: Well, now that Will doesn't have COVID. He wants to jump.
Speaker 1: I want to.
Speaker 4: I want to jump without that sneeze that wouldn't go everywhere.
Speaker 1: Six months later, the tour is back.
Speaker 2: We have re scheduled Durham, North Carolina. We will be inside you on June nineteenth. Atlanta we will be there on June twentieth, and New Orleans we will see you on the twenty first.
Speaker 1: Are we going to be there by ourselves in Durham? We absolutely are not.
Speaker 2: We have the one and only Lee No Tis mingus hold the plane for Minus himself is going to be joining us.
Speaker 1: On the nineteenth, is exiting the time warp wormhole that he entered and disappeared from our show and appearing on our stage. I can't get Danielle saying Durham, We're going to be inside of you on the night. I know it's not a right. Why should you phrase it like that?
Speaker 2: If you haven't already, please buy your tickets. Podmeets worldshow dot Com all the time script with her, Yeah right, we hope to see you there inside you.
Speaker 1: God, we hope to be inside of you. I mean the town, your city, Please just come, just come.
Speaker 2: It would be almost impossible to be a regular listener of Podme's World and not already know almost everything about this week's guest. He wrote, a unicycle, he juggled, He dressed like a very cool miming clown. He apparently broke to Hillary Tuck's heart. He shared a secret childhood pony with his brother. He loved Hacky Sack and dungeons and dragons.
Speaker 3: He went down a fiberglass slide naked. Listen.
Speaker 2: I could go on and on, but you probably already know that I am talking about Rider's brother, actor, director, and photographer Shiloh Strong.
Speaker 3: He was raised in the woods as a knife carrying hooligan.
Speaker 2: He traveled to Hollywood alongside my co host here to chase a dream and ended up starring in the often mentioned The Mommies, with appearances on Third Rock from the Sun, Dinotopia twenty four, and CSI, before transitioning behind the camera, where he teamed up with writer to direct fifteen episodes of Girl Meets World. He has since focused on photography. But today we are here to talk about life at redwood Shire, always standing out in our nineties kid actor crew, and what it was like being one half of the fabulous Strong Brothers.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 2: A man whose ears must have been ringing twice a week for the past two years.
Speaker 3: It's Shiloh Strong.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's listened to the podcast. Oh I have listened to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you have listened to the podcast?
Speaker 1: I have a few. Yeah, sorry, I mean you guys have made so many now it's you know.
Speaker 3: It's hard to keep up with two a week.
Speaker 1: You guys are doing two a week really? Ye oh no, it's it's been great. I mean the few I have listened to, it's just and you listening to the Hillary Talk one? Right? I did? Yes, lieut present classic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a question I have way later, but since it came up again.
Speaker 3: Let's just talk about it real quick. Hillary Talk.
Speaker 2: Was it the dinner at her house that that made you? Was that the breaking point?
Speaker 3: Because she thinks it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I mean it's funny because yeah, yeah, I know, well it was like at that period, I was like, I mean, I guess I was nineteen, I think, And if you remember writer, do you remember the rope swing broke on me that summer? I just didn't just talking about that literally on YouTube and we built it again. Yeah no, So like I was out there, it was like me and Nate and Matt and we were out there and I came up and came back and broke and I slammed into the ground. I thought for sure I broke my back, like it was so bad. So I went to the emergency room and they're scanning and doing CT scans and everything, and it came back and it said it wasn't broken, but it was like bruised really bad. I couldn't get out of bed for like seven days. And that was when I had this plan to go to Texas with Hillary and I was going to drive out there with my friend to do this whole cross country trip. But because my back was so messed up, I was just on viking in and like just a mess. And then I ended up flying out to meet her out there, and we hadn't seen each other in a long time, and it had never been like an official that we were together, I guess, And it was just one of those classic like you know, jackass nineteen year old guys like well if we never really talked about it, then it's not official, you know, like, which is a classic guy moved to do because and that so then when I got out there and it was very much I mean, you know, her family was very conservative, very Texas, right, you know, and she felt like she was introducing you to her family potentially as like boyfriend partner rightly, which you know, she's coming from a traditional family upbringing in that world, which you know, if you bring in this guy into that space, it's like, this means a lot. And for me, I grew up like, oh, well, everybody's just here at redwood Shire and we do this thing, you know. So it's just yeah, but you know it was awful because I really did care about her a lot and was you know, yeah, she's wonderful, She's always been wonderful, and.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was I say, from this point forward, we just blamed the vicodin Yeah, to the everybody's backs and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone's had break your back in your heart that rope. So I'll tell it. That's that's amazing.
Speaker 4: I'm just the opposite childa by the way, I if I don't discuss it with a woman, then I just assume we're in a relationship.
Speaker 1: That's exactly I.
Speaker 4: Don't want to hear. I don't want to hear that she doesn't want me there, because then I get all the like, what are you doing in my house? How did you get in here? Like all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: A lot. Yes, Sue doesn't know we're married, so don't say anything.
Speaker 3: She's like, I love this shiny ring. You got me?
Speaker 1: Yes, seriously. I was like, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 4: Oh, but to keep the ring, you have to sign this piece of paper in front of my dad, in front of all our friends.
Speaker 1: She's like, all right, so mum's the word. All right.
Speaker 2: So Shiloh, there's another question. I just want to get out of the way now. It is a question our listeners have been hoping to ask you for a while. Now. Oh, really, did you know your brother had a grappling hook?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, he found it. He's the one who found it. I found just recently. I found that. Yeah. Yeah, and uh no, I remember because you built it in like welding class, right, class with class. Yeah, so like the school and I'm sure you guys have heard about none such, but like the that we went to, Like it was like it was built on this crazy hill in the Redwood forest and there was like this art studio down on the bottom where they did pottery, and that's where the did welding too. Wright right, yeah, until they got shut down. They shut it down. But you have to class because that would have been awesome. There was a rope swimming, There was a climbing wall. We built our own climbing while the students we all built the handholds for it in pottery class and then put it on the wall. And we had a climbing class, like we actually learned how to rock climb, but it was all like with our own handles.
Speaker 4: Was Robert the teacher, Yeah, Robert and the teacher teachers were all where all your teachers called by their first name.
Speaker 1: I'm just curious, and you know, Ocean's visiting me right now in l A. He was. I walked out the door. He said, you know, have a strophy right recording and we were reminiscing and Shiloh Chris recently reached out to him about starting up a backgrounother. Yeah, Chris, who was like one of our favorite teachers who like we just he's a legend. He's changed his name though, he's Kestrel now, ye isn't it. So I can't wait to send him because I was like, you have his email address, I'm going to email him. Yeah, but we were reminiscent about the school last night. Yeah, so it was Chris. Robert Lynn was the principal who ran the school, was at her house. Yeah, so we knew them all by their first names, and they were all like pretty amazing people and you know, super interesting and like it was yeah, I mean ocean. And I've spent a lot of time the last couple of days reminiscing about it, and it's a very interesting space.
Speaker 4: I'm not entirely sure any of my teachers had first names. Yeah, yeah, like they were born mister whatever, missus whatever. I mean. Yeah, the idea where it's like, this is my teacher, Robert is crazy.
Speaker 1: Robert was an ex Navy seal and like we we just Robert was the best because he was so smart. He's brilliant, but you could just get him to talk about anything. So we always knew we wouldn't have to do biology or whatever. If we could just start, like asking him about Vietnam. He was just like he would just go on and we'd learn a lot, but no biology would be that done. That day. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: I want to get to why the welding studio may have been shut down there.
Speaker 1: Inspector came through. Yeah I know, I remember, and I was so pissed because I was really into it and Robert was amazing, and and Tim got really into it. To remember, Tim Saluzzo, we were like the welding like kids, and we would build all these things and and then the next year it was like now the state or city, show state or.
Speaker 4: Whatever, no open flames, the middle of the forest, the people thinking my way out of here.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty incredible group of people. Yeah. I think it's pretty amazing opportunity to be there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chilo.
Speaker 2: It's also worth mentioning that Will and I did not know that you two had a pony. That was a real like shocking revelation to us on the podcast.
Speaker 1: And thrown out sentence like.
Speaker 2: Susie our pony. Right, Yeah, do you have some fond memories of Susie as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I remember when she stepped on my foot, which that's pretty dense.
Speaker 3: We didn't know about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I can't know. She was great, Like I can't remember how we ended up getting a rider because she was really old when she came to us. I feel like it was a neighbor. It was a neighbor who was getting rid of her and we were and the parents were like, whoa, well, we'll take the pony and we already had the barn. Did our parents build the barn. They must have built. Yeah, they sure they built the barn. I guess for Susie. Totally the real The The thing about Susie, the story about Susie is that our so, our grandfather, our mom's dad, was like a horse fanatic and he had never been able to have a horse his entire life, but he had grown up working with horses. Well. First of all, he used to like he used to like he used to tell stories about how he would steal the wagons, like the horses at the carriage, like horses been buggies in the nineteen thirties or whatever. He would steal like horse and buggies and like is he just loved her. And then he worked with horses down on.
Speaker 3: Just enjoy riding them.
Speaker 2: Yes, as a kid he would joy steal him to sell them or no.
Speaker 1: Just because he loved you know. That was our other grandparents. Yeah, that's true. And then so anyway, so Harry just always loved horses. And so when we got Susie, Harry and Susie had this like special bond and he would always just step outside and at our house and say SUSI girl, and she would respond, she would answer and then after she died, he kept doing it for years every time he would step on for Susie. He loved her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, would her ghost respond just you know.
Speaker 1: Just terrified with that. Oh, that's a great scary story, just to say that, that's a good title for a short story there. No, I remember we, like the parents always brought her out when we'd have like kid get togethers, you know, like there's already us having pony rides at redwood Shire and it was like all the kids would come over for a birthday party and they'd get put on the back of the pony and then walked around and you know it was Yeah, it was great. But yeah, I remember feeding her a lot. That was always a chore. That was the choice growing up. It was like opening the gate feeding Susie. And we'd get a dollar a week I think if we didn't. Yeah, big big bucks. First job, only real job I've ever had. Yeah. Nice? Nice? Did she break your foot child? No? I mean it felt like it like it's just it was just so intense and then she just you know, and I've heard they do that, like they know when they're doing that. Somebody told me that a little later. La was like Oh my god, Susy didn't like she was. She got a little she got a little dramatic when she got older. I remember she would like pretend to like fall down if we put even a kid on her back. She would be like, buckle, Okay, we're not going to ride Susie anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, we have talked a lot about the house you were raised in, built by hand by your parents, and how it really does seem like the antithesis of the Hollywood scene. And we know how you guys would travel, you know, to and from for auditions. What other memories do you have about your time at redwood Shire before you officially made the transition down to La.
Speaker 1: Before we made it down to La Gosh, I'm trying to think. I mean, I have vague memories of the house kind of you know, being built, you know, because I was only like one year old. I think there and then like the pool was always the most amazing thing to have. So I remember just splashing in that pool when we were kids endlessly or running around and like Rder and I would take our hot wheels what they called hot wheels, so they were the little yeah, we wheeler, little guy and we would go around and around this pool, which it's just so funny because looking back on it, you know, nowadays you have to build like gates and fences and fool covers, and it's like you watch these videos and it's like, I swear our parents were trying to kill us. I'm just like, like everything, you know, there's like construction equipment and trees falling and kids running next to pools. And we always watched the videos and I'm like, I'm like nervous for these kids, and I'm like, well, that's us. So I know we make it. I know we make it to Okay. It's still terrifying, but I think it just, you know, it's kind of changed the way we all, you know, have let kids do crazy. But yeah, but I mean I think it was just the freedom. And I remember like the idea of the forest being because we were back next to like, you know, probably about twenty plus acres I would say, rider like behind us. That was pretty much it still is just open forest. So like we grew up, I mean, I remember thinking that that went on forever and it was this crazy fantasy, dark, scary place, you know, but we always and I still have dreams about that I don't know. I think we've talked about this all the time. Still it's something ingrained of this idea of there's something in the forest out there. But you know, I always felt so safe because my father was always there and mom and so it was you know. But and then yeah, we always watched this movie, The Wilderness Family. I don't know if you've heard about this. It's a series of films. They're incredibly bad. They're they're so bad that they're amazing. But like, I like Writer and I definitely related to that. When't you say writer, that was like, oh story, it was like it was like a movie. It's it's this horrible movie. I made Indy watch it like a couple of months ago. It really couldn't get through it. Oh so you can see the boom mic dropping in. Like it was family, a series of family films, and it was like an independent family film that some like I think like Christian Company had made or whatever, and it was actually kind of a hit at the time. But they it was about a family movie. I think, to Alaska and they they in La from La they like lead the big city and they go to this and then it's just them dealing with the wilderness and all these animal encounters, and we like watch these movies all the time and totally absorbed it as sort of like a legend of our own.
Speaker 3: Family, like so like that's us, Yes, that's us.
Speaker 1: And we related so much and and yeah, like when I rediscovered these movies and like I remember when I was like in college, I think I was like, Sheela, do you remember the and we got a hold of one and we watched it. We were like this explained so much, like this is this is why we still have bear dreams, even though there aren't really bears up in northern callifornia're like where we were, Yeah there have been some, but but we were like always worried about bears and wildcats. And it was like, oh, because we watched these freaking films that are supposed to be family films, but for us, they were like a horror film of what our real life was. But if you remember right when we watched them again and like there was no like animal child safety on those sets. It's it is terrifying. Like there's this one sequence where here's a little girl and she's getting attacked by wolves and you like you're literally seeing this child like crying on screen, like true fear, and there's like coyotes or dogs running around here, and like as an adult watching and I was like, oh no, like I have no idea how they shot. They have they have raccoons with the kids in bed, they like they have all these real animals and you know it's pre cg like everything is real, and it's yeah that I'm sure that shoot was not following labor laws. Yeah, no, it doesn't sound like it.
Speaker 4: So it's like it's like Robinson Crusoe kind of but a different, like, you know, a low budget kind of version. Let's just get a bunch of wild animals and kids and throw them into a Okay, interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, we also heard all about the movies that you and your parents would make when you were kids, and basically that just kind of set the track for where you both ended up. Did it feel like from the time you were really young that you and writer were just always going to work in the same field in the entertainment industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think we've traced it back before, because we started making the movies when we were you know, like four three around there, and then we kept giving that every time we'd like, you know, come up with an idea and then we'd get together and shoot it with the whole family. And then we went We came down to La and we must have been like seven, I think or eight, yeah, and went to Universal Studios, right, and we saw at that time they didn't have the water World exhibit, but they did a whole wild West like the Stunt Spectacular. Yeah, yeah, of course it was great. Yeah, right, it was great, and we were you know, that was our first movie we made. We were cowboys or turned Toto superheroes. We were already like into that fight anyway. So then I remember we came back and we were like, well, how do they do the punching? And we had this whole thing where it was like, oh if you who told us this, I don't know, but if you put a piece of paper under your shirt and then you like make a punch and then you slap your chest and it sounds like a sounds sounds like a really good movie punch. Sound. Yeah, you're not doing fully, that's great. Yeah. Yeah. So we we choreographed the whole fight sequence and did it for the Talent Show, right, And this what grade was that I was in kindergarten. So I was five, Yeah, so you were in six or seven? Yeah, and we yeah, and we we basically built a whole and it was like we did a whole choreograph. We also had characters. It was our first acting ever really and it just killed, like, you know, watching these two kids like beat the crap out of each other, and like we had all these bits and like I would go like in and in and in, and then you'd like punch me and we'd roll around, we throw each other, and it was like so yeah, we would just commit, you know, and our parents helped us like choreograph the whole thing. And then I remember when I was like nineteen or something or maybe a little bit younger, there was this guy I think his name was Jamie, and he was like the super tough kind of scary kid, and I remember he was like I remember seeing you guys, like he remembered that show that we had put off from kindergarten. Yeah, And then every year we would do a different thing at the talent show. So we did magic, we did we did this the wrestling thing where I was amazing. Strong brothers what did you call yourself? Just the strong Brother's Magic Show, Strong Brother's Magic Show. Okay, I knew there was a title, the Strong Brother's Magic Show. Yeah. And then we did birthday parties birthday parties to perform there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then we started taking acting classes. What was your big trick though, Like, what was the ending trick? What did you end on?
Speaker 1: Needles the balloon? I was just gonna say that. Yeah, yeah, so you pull out you have balloons on our table and we would pop a couple of them, and then we would bring up someone from the audience using an adult, like we brought up our principal or like somebody or a parent from what the prince's name was, Yeah, exactly somebody, and then we would and then we would take a needle and put it through the balloon while they held the balloon, and the balloon wouldn't pop, and it was like how did they do it? And then we could still Yeah it was a whole you know, special a special balloon. How did you do it? Okay? It was a special thick balloon. So it's like the certain balloons that we knew were like you know hidden well oil too, do you remember you had You would take the rag and you would wipe wipe them across the needle and it was like w D forty or something.
Speaker 3: And that helps it go through, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are your memories about traveling to LA for pilot seasons. Was it like a family trip? Did you guys drive down together? What were those like?
Speaker 1: I mean, I've done that drive so many times, it's just burn my memory. Like now when I do it, actually take the one to one just for a change, and yeah, it takes a little bit longer, but yeah, I mean I remember it was always so I mean, it's funny to try and think back on it now because I can't believe how much we were doing when I think about like how fast things were moving, you know, but time is just so different when you're a kid too. But it's really made me appreciate what my parents were able to do, you know, to be able to adjust their schedule, which I mean only you know, because our father was a firefighter, he was able to make those changes in the schedule. Yeah. Yeah, but I remember the oak Woods was kind of our first spot where you know, we hunkered down and then it was just always auditioning and running around. But I mean, I have positive memories of that whole experience because it was we were just a group of kids, you know, playing all the time, and yeah, so rollerblading, yeah, role Oh my god, we rollerbladed so much it was crazy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: We've talked a lot about the oak Woods. Who who was? Who else was there with you? Who was kind of like your la oak Wood crew?
Speaker 1: I Rember because we were there a little We'll.
Speaker 3: Just raised his hands.
Speaker 1: Was there? Were you the oak Woods when we started? Boy? Yeah? Why three seventeen? Baby? Why three seventeen?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I totally forgot about that. Yeah, I was. That's where Spencer and I lived. Oh that's right, totally my first car, Spencer, Yeah, that's right, that's right. Oh man, that was that was a show. Remember that. I know that was a bummer man. Well, yeah, so I I was. My first car was a nineteen seventy three Super Beetle that Will's best friend Spencer had bought, and it was like a convertible nable Beetle. It was so awesome. It was sick.
Speaker 4: It had Pender racing, the racing air shift, the racing clutch, and there was like some kind of illegal engine in it, which we did not know, so.
Speaker 1: I couldn't get it smogged, and then it was then I ended up having to sell the thing anyway, but it was it was the coolest car I was not at sixteen, and that car was.
Speaker 4: It was so great and I had to take so Spencer, my roommate at the time.
Speaker 1: Spencer bought it, hated it. Had never driven stick before.
Speaker 4: He lived and grew up in New York City and then went to college in Pennsylvania, so he never had a car or a license until he moved to la at twenty seven twenty eight. The first car he got was that he couldn't stand it because he hated the stick shift. So he took my Selica, which was also a stick shift, but a lot easier to use, and I use that and so I'd bring that to work. And that's when Shiloh, either writer. Shiloh saw it and was like, I want that cars like it's my roommates. I think he wants to get rid of it. So he sold it to Shiloh. And then I get a call from Shilah like, dude, I can't smock this car.
Speaker 1: It's illegal.
Speaker 4: I'm like what it's like, but I've been driving this thing for months. He's like you've been driving it illegally.
Speaker 1: Like what, I don't know what to do. Yeah, it was a whole thing. I was like, I don't know what to do. It was crazy California thing too. It probably came from another state like this I'm with. It was yellow and white, remember that. It was gorgeous looking. It was great. It was silo. The big moment that like that pulled us into LA was the Dick Tracy audition. Oh yeah, do you remember that? Like, yeah, yeah, it's funny. I remember the limo ride. That was the big Exactly, they sent a rimo to Redwood Shire. So what happened is we had gotten you know, we had been doing plays locally and there was a local agent who represented like you know, mostly background and commercial actors for the local area and Sono mccount and she got ahold of us and said, oh, they're auditioning for this part in the Dick Tracy movie and we can put you on tape for it and send it down to LA. And so we went and did a whole scene with her. Each of us took taking turns and they like had props, like we set it up like as actual shoot, and then they sent the tape off, and you know, we were like, Wow, that would be cool to be in a movie or whatever. And that was our first audition really and then nothing. And then like six months later, we got a call and they were like, can you be it? Both of you? It's down to nine kids the same part for the same part. Can we bring We're gonna fly you guys down to Los Angeles. And sure enough, like the next morning, a limo pulled up to Redwitchshire, which was just the most like what is happening? Hollywood is calling and they wanted, you know, they wanted to meet us, and and my mom was there, and my dad had just had brain surgery. Oh, he had had a brain tumor that Christmas. And so this was like January or February. I was nine years old and so you were ten, Chilah, and we and my dad was like I'm not you know, he was like I have to go too, because we're all going as a family. But he was still like.
Speaker 3: Completely covering surgery.
Speaker 1: My god. It was awful. And we all flew to l A and of course we were just so stoked in the limo. I think about how stressed out my parents were and that the company would only pay for one plane ticket for our parents, so we had to like buy a last minute ticket for my dad, which costs so much money. And that's how they get, you get. So we all went to l and I still remember every time I drive by the Universal Sheraton, that hotel that we stayed. Yeah, that's and we flew down. They picked us up in a limo. They drove us to the audition. We had to wait in the waiting room and we each read for the kid had a horrible experience because the well, they improved and we didn't, you know, we had no idea what we were doing. We just done plays. We wait, what are you?
Speaker 3: What are you doing there?
Speaker 1: We had the wrong.
Speaker 3: Thages exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: Well, do you remember anything about who else was in the waiting room with you? I mean it was everybody there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well I walked out and said they changed a line, So I told everybody, which then prep all the other kids. There was one kid who didn't end up getting the part, and he was with us a lot and talked to us and he was like, they would give this part to me, but I'm too tall. So you know, they're saying that they could just chop me off at the knees. I'd already have the part. He like totally, like you know, like a good kid actor, he already knows how to work the waiting room, work the waiting room. And then we went back to the Universal Sheraton and got the call that night that neither of us had gotten the part. And then we flew back the next day. But he was such a stressful but exciting. And then that was like that was when you know, agents and people started saying like, oh, these you know, you should come to LA And it still took a while. For one thing, we worked and I did a couple of commercials and you, I think you did too, right, We worked out of San Francisco, and then when I didn't, and.
Speaker 4: That was that took over everything for that you know, writer, does it ever hit you occasionally though, that when you're talking about stories like this, you're essentially Indie's age. Yeah, I mean, isn't that weird to like look at him and be like, Okay, when I was at age, I was auditioning for Dick Tracy. It's crazy, I mean, right, But it also kind of like because Indy is very performed, like I'm like it kind of makes sense. And also, like like us, you just realize, like, oh, if if a kid can like do this in any capacity, it's like, oh, you go right to the top. It's not like wanting to be in your twenties and wanting to be an actor where the pool is so big. When you're a kid who can do any of these things, you get jobs or you get callbacks because you're rare, you know. And that's the thing, like we we thought we were just doing something that came very naturally, but actually because of all the movie making and conversations and you know, we just put a lot of energy into acting and making up stuff and it paid off.
Speaker 1: You know, it was and it was always fun. It was. It was just it was the transportation that was stressful. And then I think about it from our parents' perspective, it's just, oh my god, I can't commitment. It takes totally.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's what you think about anybody whose parents aren't able to drop everything, because I mean, you guys remember those days. I mean you'd get an audition the same day, and back then before the fax machine, which was so amazing, you'd have to drive to your agent to pick up the script and the sides and then try and get a coaching or maybe not, and then go right to the audition. And we were doing that sometimes three times a day, and we're like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Jeez, I don't miss those days.
Speaker 1: The parent, I like, yeah, doing it as a parent, I'm just like, you know, I couldn't see it. I couldn't do that.
Speaker 4: They'd have to plant because I was I lived three hours from New York. They'd have to plan when my audition was so i'd have to get the call, all right, four days from now you have an audition kind of thing. Yeah, last minute stuff didn't work unless it was for something huge, right that My my parents knew that. It was like the agent couldn't call and be like we need you here tomorrow at eight. It's like, we can't.
Speaker 1: It's not possible.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's weird to hear the la kids though. I mean, we're just you run in and you do your stuff, you.
Speaker 1: Go back to your life. Yeah, that's I don't remember how you got into it. Will I'd be so curious to hear how that all came about.
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know if I thought you listened to the podcast Shiloh.
Speaker 2: Season one, episode three about I started the kind of the same way you both did, just the East Coast version. You know.
Speaker 4: I started on stage in Hartford, and then I get auditions in New York and I would get on the bus three hours down in New York City and my manager would pick me up at the bus and I'd walk into the city and they'd say, you know, you're too fat, and I'd get back on the bus and any cigarettes and I would go back. So yeah, that's what you know. My my manager wouldn't always.
Speaker 1: Pick me up.
Speaker 4: So by you know, twelve, I was a lot of times just walking the city myself, going to my auditions.
Speaker 1: It was great. I wouldn't change a.
Speaker 4: Thing, right again, coming you guys dealt with this when you know you love your town's basketball, it's an amazing place.
Speaker 1: But getting out to like a city.
Speaker 4: I had more real life in the four hours I was in New York City than you know, a week and eight, just because you're around people and culture and different languages, different sounds, different smells.
Speaker 1: I mean, everything is just.
Speaker 3: Like figuring it out on your own as a kid.
Speaker 1: It's awesome. Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 2: Well, we have commonly heard story after story from different nineties kid actors we have had where they have a story where a certain role came down to them and Shiloh Strong. Yes, who do you remember always seeing at auditions? And was there anything you didn't book or that you came very close to booking that still haunts you?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, jeez, that's a fun question. Oh God, I feel bad. I don't remember, honestly, I have a terrible memory.
Speaker 4: But I remember one what you for Eric on board?
Speaker 1: I don't think I did Man.
Speaker 4: But I was told that it was between me and Jason for Almost Home.
Speaker 1: Oh that sounds familiar, yes, right?
Speaker 4: And then the next year was also between you, me and Jay for for Eric.
Speaker 1: Was I told before I ever got there? Oh, maybe they might have just been given you. They might have that might they they wanted you to network against Will and Jason. And I said, you got because you got offered the mommies. The moms gave me off. You didn't even have to read for it. That's right, you know what? Because I did that pilot odd Man Out, which was awesome, which I loved so much, and I was senior at the Star of and it was and it was like that was and yeah with Hillary Swank, which you know, seeing her go on to become a superstar, and it was like yeah, like yeah that was that was so much fun. Gosh what year was that? Oh god, right before Boys two? Really boy Yeah, yeah, you would have been shooting it in ninety three, like summer. It was a pilot, so it would have been spring of ninety three. And then when it didn't get picked up is when you got offered the Mommies Mommies or a network test to be on Boy Me's World, right, which and I remember being like, well, this would be weird if we're on the same show. Others, yeah, not playing brothers. I remember being I think we've had conversations like it's funny. I have a specific memory of being I was up at redwood Shire and I remember trying to make that decision about whether or not I should go and yeah, I do this is this is right? And I remember I was climbed a tree because that's what we.
Speaker 3: Did back where you went and thought, of course where I would go.
Speaker 1: And think and I remember being like, okay, do I want to do this? And I remember I feel like we were having conversations. Writer and also with the parents just being like, how could we be on the same TV show but not be brothers, Like it doesn't make any sense, Like it's just going to be a weird thing just from like a r standpoint, So they're not really brothers, but I don't know. Yeah, And then I was also so sick of auditioning, I think, and you know, I was so bummed that Odd Man Out didn't go because that had been such a fun project and I was so excited about that. And then here was the Mommy is where it was like a sure thing and it was kind of a smaller part, and I was like, yeah, I think I'll just you know, go that run. I was also on NBC, which was a better network. I remember it was always yeah, considered. Yeah. So then I came back and I was like, yeah, no, so yeah, So I don't think I ever auditioned for it well, and it wasn't like they offered it to me, but yeah, I mean, gosh, if that had, I mean, you know, alternate realities, I don't think the show would have gone if.
Speaker 4: I oh, who knows. I just think I remember looking at the two of you though. If this makes sense, how I'm going to describe this. If you were the same age as you were ten years later, there's no way Disney Channel wouldn't have come to you and been like, we want to do a brother show. It would have been perfect for that, because like ten years later is when the all the twin Stuff kids started happening on Disney Channel and all the brothers sister stuff are. You would have been the perfect Disney team to do some kind of a show.
Speaker 1: If in reality, if we had just not if we didn't have other shows we were on, it probably would have happened because you look at the Lawrence brothers, they were already being cast together as brothers consistently because it is it's even more rare that you have kid actors who can both you know, act and look alike and be brothers, and it's more convenient for the family. Like it makes sense. Yeah, but yeah, we never we never got there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I want to see a show that starred the Lawrence brothers, the Savage Brothers, and the Strong Brothers. I don't even know what it would be, but just every all that Powerhouse teams together.
Speaker 1: Would have been really interesting to watch. There's still time will our first pilot season, Shiloh, you the job. Our mom said, Okay, we're going to go down to the oak Woods. We're going to go down for pilot season, which was two or three months, and if the kids get jobs, then we'll pursue this part of our lives. If they don't, then we won't. And by the end of that pilot season, I had booked The Jewelie Show. So I was on a sitcom and you booked House of Cards right right. It was a great movie with Kathleen Turner and Tommy Lee Jones and that was Do do you remember your audition for that with Mally Finn, the legendary casting director. Oh, yeah, that was amazing. She was so supportive and that was all improv I remember we were like but by that time I had some chops in those situations, and I remember, Yeah, that was a great audition. And then that was an amazing experience because going out there the director Michael Lessak, who I think this was the first feature that he had made, and it was a I don't know if it was a Mirramax film at that point, yes, was it already because then it went to Sundance, But did it get bought when it went to Sunday, and I think it was always a Mirramax film, but like we had an entire month I think of rehearsal of what just wow. And Michael Jackie was the like dialogue coach, so she worked with me one on one on like all of our scenes, and I remember, like it was just such an incredible experience for a young actor to be able to have that kind of support and the ability to play, you know. But I remember I had no idea how like the first scene that we shot. I didn't understand how like camera angles worked and like how multiple takes happened. So I remember like doing it kind of like once and thinking Okay, great, we did it, and they're like, okay, great, we're going to do it again and move And I was like wait what, Like that was such a foreign concept, just the basic mechanics of it. Like yeah, but that was a very cool, very cool experience like that three months in North Carolina. Yeah. I mean the movie doesn't age well. Unfortunately. It's kind of an outdated way of like perceiving autism, you know, based on what we understand about autism nowadays, you know, and like one woman trying to get back in touch with her daughter who might be autistic. But so, you know, from a medical standpoint, I don't think it really right, but yeah, but it was. It was a very cool experience. I then going to Sundance as a you know, eleven year old and being an adip. She's being like, what's happened?
Speaker 2: Were you wildly intimidated around Tommy Lee Jones and Kathleen Turner or did you just feel right in your element?
Speaker 1: Oh? No, they were great, Like I mean, yeah, it was awesome, you know. I mean that's the thing. I think all of us had that, Like when you're acting and you know, like if you're working with a real actor, like a profictional older actor, like they're going to be giving you everything you need as a young actor to be able to go, oh oh you get it. Okay, great, let's let's do this and then we're playing you know, And that was and that was great to be able to have them and support for that. You know, Yeah, it was cool.
Speaker 3: That's so awesome. Did you come by the Boy Meets World set a lot?
Speaker 2: I don't really remember you being on set all the time, but you must have been, right, I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember coming by, like Danielle. We didn't really hang out that much.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't hang out. I was I was really young.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, and I think we I would come for tape show for the eight nights, yeah nights. Yeah, and that was always fun or stop by I you know, once Rider got a car and we were all kind of like driving around LA and doing stuff. So I know, we all like went out for like lunch, you know, yes, you know where Jerry's I think was another one.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Jerry's Amsterdam yea and Amsterdam.
Speaker 1: That was so much fun. We was just looking at pictures of though maybe you sent him to me. It was like, yeah, Jason Marsden, you me and Marsden and an angel I did.
Speaker 2: We've heard the story about you having was it your backpack basically.
Speaker 1: But I know who calls that to a kid, you know, the car back literally on the ride back.
Speaker 3: From the I don't want to do this trade.
Speaker 4: I don't think this is a fair trade, and handing him back to the backpack he had used.
Speaker 1: The entire trip. We looked at each other like this can't that can't be real. It can't it just happened.
Speaker 4: I remember one of the coolest moments of that trip, though, I remember was you and I were walking through the lines applying and I looked at you and I went, dude, I like your shirt, and you I like your Sure, I want to trade. And in the middle of the street we just swap shirts. And I think I had it to like a month ago.
Speaker 3: I want to trade is like, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's such a such a teenager thing, like I want to trade.
Speaker 1: We were very we were very big into the magic cards then too right, Oh yeah about because we would play for anti and it was if you got the one card and then we would be trading cards.
Speaker 4: And like I still I still use when I do play, I still use a card that I won from you. I still use Balance all the time. Remember Balance, That's such a great card. It's a great card, and I still use Yeah, yeah, it was great.
Speaker 2: I want to try that out in the wild with another woman's handbag.
Speaker 3: I love your handbag. Oh thanks, I love yours. Would you like to trade?
Speaker 1: Trade?
Speaker 3: You just want to try to offer trades. I want to see how it goes. I'll let you know how this experiment works.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 4: When two people consider it equal the trade goes very well, and when one is not trying to take advantage of the other person, the trade it is very successful. It's when one person is nefarious.
Speaker 1: Said trade does not work. So I think part of the reason that you didn't I weren't always on the set is that you were also on the Mommies. You were, so you guys, were you Friday tape nights? Is that what you did? Do you remember? That sounds familiar? Yeah, I'm trying to remember what It was a period there because I got my proficiency when I was sixteen, and then I got emancipated, and so I was like pretty much on my own down here. You know. We were living in that Encino house, if I remember. But then I started going to La Valley Community College, so I would go there for night classes and then go to yeah work, But I feel like I was only showing up because I didn't have to do school and I didn't you know, I would only have a couple of scenes usually in an episode, so it was a pretty easy thing. So I would just drive on and you know, do my rehearsal and then do the run through, and then I was pretty much done until you know, the tape night. Do you do you have a clear like, like, do you have a memory of what the difference between the sets was like in terms of like the creative environment or the production process, Like what is there? That's great?
Speaker 2: H you know.
Speaker 1: The thing was you guys. What I loved about coming to you guys was you guys were all the same age, and you had a bunch, you know, and you guys were all friends. Like it was just it was a great group of people, like and you know, we were all you know, like you guys were all playing together and working the scenes and getting the laughs, and you know, it was just a it was a really great energy on the set, you know, and on the Mommy is like everybody was nice. But I was the only teenager, Like it was basically everybody else were adults or they were young kids. So I was just kind of by myself, you know, and I was kind of going through a period where I was didn't really want to be in Los Angeles, Like I was flying back up to Northern California pretty much every weekend because I had at do you have.
Speaker 3: Someone to give a white rose too? As well?
Speaker 1: Who was your Maureen? Yeah, let's see at that time I was I was dating this this this girl Emily for a while. Yeah, but then I mean, I guess then Hillary, and then that was dating Hillary and that was kind of you know which I don't know how long we were together for until I broke her heart apparently to say, yeah, just long enough to meet her parents once, and that was it. I'm actually seeing her. We're going to beat up. Because after I listened to the podcast, I was just like, oh my god, I'm going.
Speaker 3: To reach out to her.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm such positive memories of her, like she was She's wonderful, and also hearing her voice on the podcast, I was like, oh my god, I miss her. Yeah, she's awesome. You know.
Speaker 4: I that that same I had a similar I mean, obviously I got along with Rider very well, and got along with Ben and got along with Danielle, but I was the same thing. It was like, there were the adults and then they were kind of they had their group. Then then Rider and Ben they were all kind of together, and then I was just old enough to kind of be in the middle totally.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it was like, well, do.
Speaker 4: I want to go have an uncomfortable lunch with the adults or an uncomfortable lunch with the younger guys.
Speaker 1: Like you remember Shilah decided he was going to learn juggling, right, and he would say, you have your own trailer and you would just juggle and like you were just got to decided you were going to like learn all these like your own tricks and your own things. And yeah, like my memory is that you you didn't really like the mommies that much. Like the job itself was was dissatisfying creatively, but you were kind of like, eugh, I want to be doing the real stuff. Yeah, well was I remember the character was like kind of a deadbeat character. That was the ongoing joke is like, oh, he just never does anything. He's always just making out with his girlfriend on the couch, you know, which was always a funny thing. So I remember she was great, but you know she was I think she was like twenty five or something, and you know, here I am like nineteen year old. She's just laying on me, and I'm like, okay, don't think too much about what's actually.
Speaker 4: Yeah, remember that you're on camera seventeen.
Speaker 1: Dude, you weren't nineteen. You were only sixteen seventeen doing the Mommies. It's so hard to try and put this in perspective because you know, I mean, you're acting like an adult at such a young age, you know. Yeah, so I think, yeah, not having that sense of you know, community or friendships on the set kind of right a toll. I think, yeah, do you remember the creative team that was in charge, like who was the executive producer, what the note sessions were like, or any of them? No, I don't, you know, I don't remember anybody. I don't remember anybody really giving me. I just didn't have much to do, like much of a character, you know, so I didn't have really I think I had one episode that was like actually about my character, and every other one it was just sort of like one or two lines here there, bopping in. And you know, it only went for two seasons, if even that, I think, I don't even think. We got picked up halfway through the second season.
Speaker 4: But the Mommies, now, so the Mommies, if memory serves, they were two were they stand ups? Originally two stand up comedians that worked together. They're like a comedy team, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, And their whole bit was sort of like being the moms and you know, mom jokes, right, you know. Then they yeah, and then they got this TV show, so they you know, I don't think they were classically trained actors, but they might have been. But no, no, it was the nineties. It was the nineties.
Speaker 4: I mean the nineties with Seinfeld and the Jeff fox Worthy Show. I mean, if you were a stand up, you were you'd get a sitcom. So so that was kind of yeah exactly, I said, they're handing them out and when you when you get out of it. But yeah, so that's I remember that because I remember you you and I talking about it where it was like, yeah, they're stand ups and they're kind of do their bit every week, and it was like, okay.
Speaker 1: Well, strangely they were from Petaluma, which is right by Sebastopos, so they were from northern California, and yeah, they had just become a phenomenon, like their stand up routine, you know, and then yeah, they got these They had competing offers, they had offers from every network to do a sitcom, and they chose NBC and got a full first season order just off of selling their show. So that's what's so interesting is that The Mommies was a higher profile show like Boy Meets World was like what will this thing go? You know? And then The Mommies was like the more short thing, and I mean they were great. I mean, who knows why things don't work out, you know. I mean back then it was all about the ratings and you know, like who you're up against. I mean, that was always ruffle that they were trying to do. You know, it's so funny because I feel like that's an age that's passed now, right. I mean, it's not really a conversation that people have anymore. I don't even know how shows keep going.
Speaker 2: As writer mentioned in your Downtime, then on The Mommies you learn to juggle. There have been many times on the podcast where we have waxed poetic and praised the uniqueness of the overall just cool vibe that is Shiloh Strong. Did you see yourself as confident then or was it just that you wanted to ride around on a unicycle and wear a top hat.
Speaker 4: The cool and smoke a pipe pipe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't a top app it was a It was a bowler bowler bowler, which was great. That was like my ultimate hacky sack move because you could.
Speaker 4: Like storm, I remember that, and you could put oh buddy, are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Warm memory unlocked?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, you guys hacky sacking and you resting that hacky sack on the book.
Speaker 3: I literal core me.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't know, like yeah, I definitely did not think I was cool. I don't think like cool. Was not like a uh no, it was just it was, you know, coming from northern California and none such and this kind of awkward, weird. Everybody was like encouraged to be creative in themselves, you know, non judgmental or try to be right, and you know, it kind of worked on the flip side of that, as anybody who like conformed to the norm.
Speaker 3: Was you know, oh yeah, you were allowed to judge them.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course. So I'm back.
Speaker 4: I'm back here in Avon, and I went to my clean out my closet. When I got here, I was putting stuff in there and.
Speaker 1: Most of it's gone.
Speaker 4: But there's still one stick left from the juggling things that we brought to.
Speaker 1: Adam to me, Yes, oh my god, what these are the ones, by the way, that we would do in Vondel Park.
Speaker 4: This is literally the same one that was there. So yeah, I saw that today. I was like, oh my god, the Devils sticks.
Speaker 1: That's what we would just hang out in the park and Hacky Sack play with the sticks and like, oh that was so much fun. Oh it's a great trip. It was an absolutely great I remember the juggling thing I had trying to remember. I had this whole theory, which was okay, and I still believe this. There's a part of your brain that that actually connects the left and the right hemispheres of your brain, you know how the two were kind of like a logical and you know, more creative. And so I had this idea that if you have anything that ever crosses between those two hemispheres, like if you're passing a ball back and forth or hacky sacking, as long as you're using ambidextris right, that that's going to be like strengthening that part of your brain and causing you to feel more creative, but also bringing in some of your reasoning capacities. So that was thinking of it in that way, and it was always just a good challenge and something to do. You know, while I was by myself sitting in the waiting or trailer, you know, and you were always so like, I mean, you're athletic, but you were also just acrobatic because we did gymnastics and you were really good at gymnastics. And and then I remember you discovered chaplain and like the whole idea of like physical comedy, and you decided to master a lot of these like cool skills, which in retrospect is like pretty awesome for a you. Like, I'm not just going to be a kid actor. I'm also going to figure out how to do all these tricks. And yeah, Buster was so cool. No, that's nice to hear. Thanks, guys, that's cool. I mean, yeah, I love all that. I mean, it's funny. It's transferred over now as an adult. I mean I still juggle, like I still have my juggling balls, these little pasts, because that's why I have notes to myself if I start stressing out, it's like, hey, dude, just juggle. I'm like, all right, okay, you know, find the ways to calm the anxiety if you start freaking out.
Speaker 3: I love those tools, those little self help tools.
Speaker 1: Those are great. You gotta find them some way. I would get so anxious trying to juggle. Damn it. I would love to learn how to juggle. Yeah, it's so it's very therapeutic, you know. Okay, I could totally see that.
Speaker 2: Jumping ahead a bit, We haven't talked a lot about making Girl Meets World on the show, mostly because we try to keep it up beat, but I do know that a major high point for everyone on the show was how much you and Writer were able to direct us. You guys were so wonderful. It was such a major high point for the entire cast. How did it feel to not only step foot again on a show you had both obviously been very close to for so long, but to now work with like a new generation of kids, little writers and Shiloh's essentially decades later.
Speaker 3: How was that? What did that feel like for you?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah it was. Yeah. Working with the kids was amazing. Like walking back on that set just felt like going back into like a time capsule, you know, like but in the best possible way, because it was so comfortable and familiar and being with you guys and working with you guys again in that way was so rewarding. Like, yeah, it was. Yeah. And seeing the kids being able to I mean, they were so great and so down and you know, gosh, I just love that sitcom. You know, you get to rehearse, you get to work the jokes and figure out the blocking and get you know, it's just like the the whole week is just and then leading up to that show, it was just so much fun.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, and we did a live studio audience on Girl Meets World, which which is still very rare. So yeah, I mean it's it's really rare. We were one of the only people who was doing it even back then, and that is that was just.
Speaker 1: It nothing like it.
Speaker 4: There's not I mean, there really is nothing, and it's it's a shame because it's dying and it is.
Speaker 1: It is you know, the full sitcom.
Speaker 4: You're rehearsing a play every week, but then you get to lead up to show night where you're actually, yeah.
Speaker 1: Then taping the thing. It is just it's it is.
Speaker 4: It's so unique in our industry and it's a shame that it's going away because it is a wonderful experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just gone now. Yeah, I remember, I mean as directors for Shilah and I like the week. You know, during the week, you're just rehearsing without really you know, you have some props and but there's no cameras, there's no audio equipment, and for us, it was just kind of like our domain, you know, Like and I remember we had a lot of conscious like conversations about like, let's make sure that these kids are not only hitting their beats and saying our lives, but like learning how to act or like understanding what acting is, you know, because kid actors come in with all their own ideas and they're you know, and they're always being told what to do or what the end results should be. And we knew from having been in those shoes, like how crazy that can be and how intimidating that can be. And we were like, let's make this just the coolest, safest space ever. And I feel like we just always had fun, you know. I just remember having so much fun with the kids and they were so Yeah. Well it wasn't just the kids.
Speaker 4: I mean, Danielle, you weren't directing yet at the time that I had gone on Girl Mets World. So I remember because again I would have loved to have worked with you, but that was part of the deal of me coming back, because I, you know, was dealing with anxiety. I hadn't been on camera in years and years and years, and part of the quote unquote contractor for me coming back was that you guys directed me. It was like I knew that, you know again with someday I'm going to work with Danielle as a director. But at the time you guys were there and I knew it was just like, Okay, at least they'll know I'll be it'll be safe, it'll be calm, it'll be comfortable. So that was like part of the deal was Okay, I'll come back and do these episodes if writer and Shilock can direct.
Speaker 1: It, and they're like, oha, fine.
Speaker 2: I was obviously very close to all of those kids, and every time we would see your names on a script, there was just a sense of like relief. There was really a sense of oh good, We're going to have a good week. We're going to be in safe hands. We're going to be in hands that are gonna encourage us and guide us and make it fun. You know, you guys played running charades. You made sure that you built time into because as fun as the Boy Meets World set was, Girl Meets World did have a different energy. It was not the same and it didn't need to be different. It could have been the same, but it wasn't for whatever reasons, and you guys tried to infuse it with fun wherever you could, and so that it was such a It was just such a joy to work with you both, and so thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, thank you. Looking back, I mean, especially working with you in particular, was anytime we had a scene together, I was just always like, oh, I just know this is going to work. Great. That's what started directing too, right, wasn't that during that period?
Speaker 2: Yeah, second season I got to do one and then in season three I got to do three more, so I I yeah, but it was.
Speaker 1: Amazing to see even in the first season. I remember when whenever we first started working together, I remember you were already able to see how the whole scene would work, and having your relationship with the kids independently was so helpful to be able to talk to you and recognize, oh the dynamics here. I think it was just Yes, you were like a rock of support. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was the number one thing I was most excited about when we came onto Girl Meets World. Was like, I can't believe I'm going to get to be the adult, the responsible adult who looking back, I didn't even realize until we started this podcast how much I had taken Betsy and Rusty and Bill Daniels for granted. But I even then, even when we started Girl Meets World, was aware enough that they were such like good examples of professionalism that I was like.
Speaker 3: I can't believe I get to be a I get to be one of those, right exactly.
Speaker 2: And because I'm the mom to the mom on the show to these kids, I'm going to have developed strong relationships with them, and we'll be able to work with the directors as just an actor, but.
Speaker 3: To help bring all of this to life.
Speaker 2: It was like literally the number one thing I was most excited about. And some directors, of course, are more receptive to that feeling. And it's usually the actor directors who are who know very well that actors have a lot to contribute to making a show come to life if you're willing to allow them as collaborators instead of a Stuppens.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well, that's the thing. When we came in, I remember watching because we started shadowing the directors that were already working, and they would just be stand over here, walk over here, do this, you know.
Speaker 2: Helping them by the elbow, literally pulling up by the elbow a couple of inches.
Speaker 1: And I remember shallow and I being like, okay, day one question number one to the kids is what do you want to do? What do you think? How do you know? And and I remember like the biggest accomplishment for child and I was like, there was one there was one episode where we realized that Rowan was doing it different every take and we're like, she feels confident, He's she's free. She's like she had somehow like every lie every time she did it, she was like I just out of her head and like in the moment and we were like, oh, she's good, it's happening, And it was like that's what that's what we miss, you know, like that's the best feeling. Yeah. I remember one another girl be Well moment. I remember Will. It was seeing you and I don't know if it was the first time you came back, but when you did the mister Squirrels bit with you and watching you like work that through and finding the beats, it was it was just magical. Man. I mean, I just think you are hands down one of the best comedic actors, I've ever seen you in that in that moment and finding it and feeling the audience reaction when the door opened, like it's just burned in my memory. Oh well, it was nuts. Do you remember they had they gave Will like seventeen beats, yes, comedy, and he had to like show up in the costume, the costume if play a trumpet. At one point, I feel like it was like all this stuff that they were just loading on you, And I remember getting in the rehearsal and being like, oh my god, like looking at the script and be like, how are we going to get this? And then we'll just it. Well, do you remember.
Speaker 3: Two that week?
Speaker 2: That was one of the examples of Michael who has an almost cartoon like image in his mind and he just is telling you, well, you need to figure out how to bring this to life. And the whole bit with that was he wanted in one move the entire costume, including the beard and the hair and all of the clothes in one move, like, let's say, from the beard. He wanted him to pull the beard and have all of it disappear so that he was only wearing boxers and we were like.
Speaker 3: The realm of reality. How do you say? And I don't care, I don't know. Whatever you need to do.
Speaker 2: Talk to wardrobe, talk to and he just expected you, guys and will to bring it to life. And that was definitely a moment where I just tiptoed my way back, like you know.
Speaker 3: Homer Simpson into a bush. I'm just gonna knock out of this.
Speaker 1: If it was anybody else, Shallow and I would have been like, absolutely impossible. But we were like, I think we'll do it, and.
Speaker 3: Just what he figured out a way.
Speaker 1: It was fun. I just remember working with the kids. Working with the kids was amazing.
Speaker 4: It really was.
Speaker 2: Totally well, Shiloh, Now you have shifted your focus to photography, and I know a quick look at your Instagram shows new profile pictures of Seth Rogen and Kristin Davis, as well as an interest in men's dating profile pics.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that's a's a that's a pretty fun story. I randomly, when I was living up in Northern California, I was looking for a job and I found this listing for a company that was looking for like a said male dating profile photography, and I was like, okay, that that's fascinating, and so I applied and I'm like this, Yeah, this sounds like it'd be kind of fun to do. And then it's this company. They're called the Match Artist, and they basically are a nationwide but it's they cater mostly to men, but women do it.
Speaker 3: Too, but right, it's a matchmaking service.
Speaker 1: It's not even that, it's just the photography.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Then I went to school for photography, Like photography has always been my thing that I love. Like that's when I went to college. I was like it was kind of my backup plan for everything else because I was, you know, you know, get a real job, like a photographer, Like only an actor can think that. That's like a steady gig. Right, I'll get a real job. I'll play drums in a band. But it's been great. I mean I really I've always loved photography and visual storytelling, you know, so that kind of and in these situations, you know, I go and I meet somebody who needs looking for love, which is always a noble west and kind of to know them and then you craft a story about who they are and photograph them in the best possible light. And it's been amazing, Like I've met so many really interesting men, all different ages from like twenty five to fifty five and photographing their profile pictures to help them go out there and do it.
Speaker 3: I love this so much because every dude I know.
Speaker 2: Has pictures, like if you were to if they were going to go and put together a dating profile, they have pictures of themselves, but they've never taken consideration for the lighting where they took a photo, who else is in that photo, what the positioning of their body was, Like you're just not thinking about that. So then you go to create a profile and you want to put your best foot forward because somebody has to make a quick judgment about whether or not they're interested in dating you, and you're looking through probably a bunch of photos that are either too old do not represent you in a way that is putting your best foot forward.
Speaker 3: This is so, this is so smart.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's totally it's yea, every no, it's it's true. It's been an amazing experience, and yeah, and recognizing how much that has changed in the culture now this is how people meet online, especially the younger generation. So like, yeah, yeah, so I'm exploring them, working on a documentary trying to explore this kind of world because it's just fascinating to me of like these you know, men looking for love and following them, but then also trying to understand the changing dynamics of masculinity and how we present ourselves and what that means in today's society. So it's a work in progress. But yeah, so yes, thank you for But the photography has always been a part of my life and that's kind of the next Yeah, it would.
Speaker 3: Be your dream subject for a portrait.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, you know, I I just love people. I mean that's what I've realized. Like who's oh Will, Yeah, let's do a photo Shore Will if you want to. I mean, honestly, this is what I've realized. No, no, no, stop, can do this. I realized I love photographing creative people, you know, like portraits, and if there's some way that I can give a little bit of like a collaborative collaboration, I mean that's the thing. We've all worked in this same industry where you know, collaboration is key, and so finding some way that somebody wants to present themselves either. You know, I remember shooting a guy years ago who was a magician, and this is when I had a studio downtown and he came in with like all of his props and his stuff, And it's just so fun to work through somebody to figure out how they want to present themselves and how I can kind of help tell their story. I guess in a way that I am feeling like I'm contributing some aspect to that in the storytelling. And I you know, for me, I like photos that kind of make people question, like, oh, what's kind of going on here? Are something funny or quirky or interesting? Yeah, but like I don't really have like an ideal subject, I mean, honestly, I just yeah, any creative endeavor person honestly would be a good one, right, But you definitely like people with personality or their own their own Yeah, like the worst would be I mean because you actually have done quite a bit of fashion photography too, which is cool, but you always veer towards a storytelling. So even your fashion photography, you would find ways to like, oh, the story of this photo shoot is, and you would come up with this insanely complicated narrative just we're basically selling close, I know, And that was I kind of got when I was in school. I had this amazing instructor, Nino, who was a fashion teacher, and you know, it was And that's what I loved about is because I would create these photo shoots and do a whole thing. And I realized, I'm like, I don't care about the clothes. I'm like, that's not a good thing. That's not good. This shouldn't be. But I mean that's why. You know, when you do a fashion shoot, you've got a stylist. You know, it's a full production if you have the money. It just costs a lot to do it right. And also, you know, majority of fashion photography is up against a white wall photography and put it on the internet. You know. I got like the editorial fashion photos, and that's a really tough world to break into, especially in Los Angeles, Like it's more of a New York, you know, which I'd considered going to New York. But yeah, then like house burned out in Santa Barbara, and then.
Speaker 3: I moved back to Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: You with me, and then you came and lived with me after I was like, well, I have nowhere to go.
Speaker 1: I was like, come live with me. That was awful.
Speaker 4: I remember I had to give you a belt, like you literally had nothing nothing.
Speaker 1: No, literally everything fit in my car. I actually went to Goodwill and got rid of everything that I that wouldn't fit in my car because I was like, you know, but I mean, I you know, luckily I had a change of clothes and a surfboard and writer was right down in the World Canyon and you were there at the time. So yeah, it was two and seven right.
Speaker 3: Burned down.
Speaker 1: So it was in Santa Barbara and there was just a wildfire that came through and I was down in La Rider and I were down in and I remember I got the call from the people who lived in the front house and they were like, hey, there's a fire here, you better get back up. And I jumped in the car and I couldn't get back up and just sat in Santa Barbara was able to stay with a friend of mine at the time, and just watched the hillside explode.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, yeah didn't you didn't you have a motorcycle at the time, so I remember there wasn't there a photograph. The only thing left was like a melted engine. That was all you could make out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like the chrome on the wheels of the tire had melted and created like river of chrome. I mean it was so it must have been so hot. I mean every glass thing I had in the house was like just turned into like marbles basically. I mean, it's the most surreal experience anybody Like it was the most surreal experience I'd had up to that point in my life. Like still to this day, if I smell fire, I get I can feel myself getting like, you know, crazy about it. I was awful, man. Yeah, you lost all your photo negatives because you had you you have been shooting on film a lot. Yeah, that went all the way through.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you lost all your magic cards. I remember, you lost all your magics, like you lost everything. Yeah, you know, he had a whole complete Legends collection, which I.
Speaker 1: Remember, I won't look up to see how much that's worth. But I would never I would never sell that. But still, yeah, yeah, I mean it taught me a lot of lessons about uh, you know stuff. We have so much stuff in our lives, you know, And it made me try and be as conscious as possible moving forward, because not many people get an opportunity like that to kind of get a clean slate. You know, I mean, how old was I thirty one? I think or something and was.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's really a way to reframe it. That what an opportunity to start with a clean slate. I mean, you know, that's a healthy perspective instead of you know what most of us would probably think, which is why did my life get ruined at thirty one?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah, yeah, you know, I mean, I mean, yeah, luckily I had an amazing support system some of the people right here, you know, so I can imagine not not having that. But I remember at the time too, like actually Shiloh's reaction was was too good in the sense that he he was like, I shouldn't care about this, I shouldn't be emotionally affected because it's just stuff. It's just stuff, and it doesn't matter, and I don't care about things. And I was like, yeah, you don't care about things, but allow this to be a sad tragedy. And like I remember just crying with him and like having to be like, it's okay to feel bad about losing your stuff. It is just stuff, but it's still an emotion. It's still awful, still a loss, yeah, still loss, Like you where you're at now? Sounds you're absolutely right, But you were already there right away. You're like, I shouldn't be upset about this. I was like, it's okay to be upset. Yeah, I remember we had the time. I mean I remember coming back that night and we went to Cat in the Fiddle and if you remember that ryder but sitting there and I just remember being I was so wrecked, you know, but I was just in shock. You know. It's not every day you walk up to your house and it's just literally, you know, six inches of ash and you're just like, Okay, what what's.
Speaker 3: The meaning of this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I never really get into that.
Speaker 4: But it's also unless you've seen a California wildfire, any kind of wildfire, what they can do. People can kind of they think of like a burnt out house or there was a fire in a kitchen something like that. Every single thing was gone. There weren't pillars in the house. I mean, it was gone. So you left a house and you came back to an ash covered field. I mean, it's really amazing to because you hear, oh, there was a fire in the house, and sometimes you don't get the visual of like nothing level right, right, Yeah, yeah, crazy crazy Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Shiloh, we have so enjoyed having you here with us today. Your name has come up obviously, of course, so often since we've been doing the podcast. We appreciate you allowing us to talk about your life and share your stories, you know, through all of our experiences, but especially through writers. You're obviously such an important part of Writer's life and childhood, so he wouldn't be who he is without you as well, and vice versa. So thank you for sharing your time with us, and we'd love to have you back anytime. But we're so appreciative you came here with us today.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you guys. This has been so great. I love seeing you guys, so yeah, and I love what you guys are doing. So I got to catch up on some more.
Speaker 2: Yeah you've got like maybe one hundred episodes or so.
Speaker 1: No, thank you guys so much. This is this has been great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, maybe you can come back and let us know how your dinner with Hillary goes.
Speaker 3: Whenever you've seen her.
Speaker 2: Maybe you guys could come back and just you know, let us know how that goes.
Speaker 3: Great to see you, Shiloh, you.
Speaker 1: Too, Okay, bye, dude, I of you two of you.
Speaker 3: Oh man, jeez, how was that? Writer great?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, it's so funny because I feel like we didn't even cover like our twenties. You know, we only come out of adolescence. It's like so much more. But yeah, I mean, he's my brother. I love him. It's so great to talk to him. But it's it is funny because, like he we don't actually talk about this period of our life that much like our adolescence. You know, it's like it's sort of just understood. So it's cool to hear his perspective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, you know, you talk about the twenties and stuff. It's like, of course we're you know, so much of our show is talking about our teen years and all that time we spent together. Yeah, I mean, it's it is. I've never I mean I think about it every now and then when I think about things. Writer and I both tend to be very open book like anything. We're just ready to talk about whatever it is that has gone on in our lives. I never really think about how so much of sharing your childhood is also sharing childhows and so have you.
Speaker 3: Guys talked about that at all since we've started the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah, Like he's listened to some episodes and and brought them up, and we've had like some good and really intense conversations actually like good ones, you know. But like reflecting on I think, like what we talked a little bit about here, reflecting on our parents' experience has just been mind blowing because I don't think I had really done that until right around this, doing this podcast, and like thinking about my poor mom driving around with the Thomas Gootide and like how many times you'd get lost, how many times you'd be late for auditions? How many you know, and and it's like, oh my god, yeah, that must have been so much work because not only were you doing it for one kid, you were doing it for two, and we were both so committed and into it, and she supported they both my both my parents supported both of us, and like, it's just a it's such a it's so impressive to me, you know, and the fact that you know, we survived and and enjoyed it and have positive memories about it is pretty remarkable.
Speaker 4: Well, it also just shows you how self centered everybody is when they're children, because but it mirrors what we're watching on the show where we all of us took us the Betsy even Bill for granted, and we're like, we talk about that every week.
Speaker 1: Man, we took them for granted. And then there's times we're at dinner where we're like, we really took our parents and everything they were going through for you know, it's that same thing where it's just your kid, your life is all about you and you're the center of your world, which is exactly what Boy Meets World is about.
Speaker 4: And then and even as adults now you're looking back and just going, wow, we took all this for granted, and the adults for granted, and our parents for granted.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's just that's one of the things.
Speaker 4: Not to bring it back to the show, but I think one of the things that makes our show last as long as it has is it is a completely different show when you're watching it as an adult, right, So you know what's.
Speaker 1: Funny about I was thinking about how because Danielle uh At, when whenever we do interviews, her last question tends to be if you could go back and tell young you're so and what the number one answer is, just enjoy it, Just have fun. It's not look around with the parents and be more responsible. No, it's like, actually, like you just got to be a kid, you know, even if you are perfessional, working child actor or whatever, it is more the most important thing is to just be sure that you're aware of how fun it is and like how lucky you are. You know.
Speaker 4: Well, they say youth is wasted on the young, and it's the part of that is true.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Podmeets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails Podmeets World Show at gmail dot com and we have merch.
Speaker 1: Don't ride the rope swing at Rider's House.
Speaker 2: Merch Podmeetsworldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 1: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 4: Pod Meets World is nheart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbaksh, producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon, and you can follow us on Instagram at Pod Meets World Show or email us at Podmeets World Show at gmail dot com.