Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three oh six, Episode three of Dirt Daily's I Guys Day.
Speaker 2: Production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep.
Speaker 1: Dive into America's share consciousness. And it is Wednesday, September twenty seventh, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: You know what that is?
Speaker 1: Seven is delivered divisible by ninety three nine twenty seven three. There's just a lot going on from.
Speaker 2: A logical perspective.
Speaker 3: Wow, which makes sense because today is National corn Beef hash Day, one of our favorite dirty diner breakfast foods. Also National Chocolate Milk Day, World Dense Breast Day, National Scarf Day, World Russia Can Day.
Speaker 2: Did you say World dense Breast.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, having dense breasts like dense breast tissue.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah yeah yeah, tell you you.
Speaker 3: Know as wild I'm pretty sure last year when it was this time, we had a guess it was like oh oh yeah, yeah, like well put me on today was like oh yeah, okay, I know I heard about. Oh and this year too, because I think last time it was I forget who. But anyway, it's I remember this this holiday coming around because I was put onto science with this day.
Speaker 4: Sun Yes, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, my name is Jack O'Brien aka Potatoes O'Brien, and I'm thrilled. Sometimes you just got to clear out the paint.
Speaker 3: No, no, when you know it's barely rehearsed.
Speaker 1: I'm thrilled to be joined us as always by my co host, mister Miles Gray.
Speaker 3: Miles Gray, A k A. I'm just a girl who likes hot water. I call it Alicia Teas hot leaf juice on my way teas from around though, Well just that hot water. He's thru t luxury. Let me teach you how today. Hot leaf flavored water, hot sleep labor water.
Speaker 2: Okay, shout out.
Speaker 3: To Rayzac on the discord, because yeah, I said, wait, Alicia Keys is making something called Alicia Teas. Come on, we could You're more creative than that, but hey here we are, so shout out to you for that wonderful girl on fire is fired. AKA.
Speaker 1: It's either very dumb or very smart. It's it's the two. I'm gonna go full quint on this. It's very just gone under the boat, very dumb or very smart. I kind of love it. Actually, I could see this Alicia Teas sweeping the nation.
Speaker 3: I mean Swiss beat says it will be in every Starbucks. Oh really, that was his powerful claim. Now I don't know if that's true, but I love the confidence. You need that kind of confident partner, don't you.
Speaker 1: Speaking of sweeping the nation, we are thrilled to be joined by a brilliant writer, producer, advice columnist, journalist, podcast host. Just all all the professions. She's had them all, she's been good at them all. Her memoir Why Didn't You Tell Me was called propulsive and explosive by Publishers Weekly. She was called a master storyteller by something called The New York Times.
Speaker 2: I believe it is Please welcome.
Speaker 1: I've heard a brilliant, the talented Carmen Rita Walla.
Speaker 5: I've been holding in labs for the past five minutes. What hey, guys, Oh my god, it's so good to join you always always, always these topics, many these topics.
Speaker 3: Plate got a lot of the plate got a lot of.
Speaker 5: Happy national dense breast day. Yes, someone who's been celebrating today. Okay, thank you. Make sure you take care of those tatas. Yeah, and get those DNSE ones shutted out, yes.
Speaker 3: Because they can hide cancers on a mamma.
Speaker 5: Yes, they can.
Speaker 3: Ah, Okay, that's why it's not just like it's not just some like shout out to dense breast. It's more like a right it is.
Speaker 5: Go get aware sounds Yes it is.
Speaker 2: It got it.
Speaker 1: Amazing. How are you doing, Carmen? Where are you coming to us from?
Speaker 5: I'm good coming to you from NYC? Is NYC cold and rainy, but fabulous. We like it like this. Sometimes he has a.
Speaker 3: Puddles and fully fall already.
Speaker 5: I no, though. I got to tell you the second it dropped. A couple of weeks ago, it dropped to like sixty five and and some people went from shorts and tank chops to I saw grown men in three layers like including.
Speaker 1: A vest yep and dressed for the weather. Dress for the weather.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, dressed appropriately. What are you get it?
Speaker 5: You go out in a sweater like sixtys like that's your living room.
Speaker 1: They had their fits that were burning a hole in their closet.
Speaker 4: They were ready.
Speaker 3: Oh my good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, he did look pretty fly. But I was like, my man, just sill out October.
Speaker 3: Okay, hold it.
Speaker 5: I know you're excited.
Speaker 3: It's sixty nine degrees. You don't need a full on knit half right now.
Speaker 1: But you do you need a full on nit hat in Los Angeles when it's one hundred degrees out? Yeah, that's gone away, though. I feel like the nit hat for for whatever reason, is no longer.
Speaker 3: Like this because everyone's wearing the super micro beanie?
Speaker 2: Are they even?
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm just not going Maybe it's gone away because I've gone away from society and I don't go outside anymore.
Speaker 5: No, it just depends on how.
Speaker 1: You wear it.
Speaker 5: But you gotta wait till you know. I'll wait till it's like seventy because you know, I don't have much on my head, so you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, yeah you are. You're pulling off a very nice short.
Speaker 5: Long for me. As Miles Nosey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was close.
Speaker 5: I like it a little, you know, Mad.
Speaker 1: Max Furiosa, give me? Do you sit down and say give me the Furiosa?
Speaker 5: Oh she knows, My girl knows.
Speaker 1: Just curios sit down and say get me remember predated?
Speaker 2: Yeah there you go.
Speaker 1: So furio So sat down, said give me the Carmen rita wong.
Speaker 3: With it? Give me the c R dub is what you called it? Dub? Real quick?
Speaker 5: That it's easy, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, all right, well, we are going to get to know you a little bit better. First, we're going to tell our listeners a couple of things that we're talking about today. Uh, the Republicans, are they really I think you're right, Miles. You wrote in your summary of this story that it seems like they don't realize that women can vote that because some of these policies they they are just doubling down, tripling down on some of the most horrifying policies when it comes to the rights that women have in our civilization. I want to pull those back. Yeah, So we're gonna talk about one that regards no fault divorce, which they they they're not fans on the.
Speaker 3: Right for the male they lose.
Speaker 1: That's exactly We're gonna talk about. Biden making history by joining the UAW picket line. Whether it's all you know, gesture, or whether there's something here. I feel good about this, you know, like I say, let's take a win for the left here. Even if he's not he's not taking aside officially, it does feel like the fact that he feels the need to do this proves that, like all of the labor energy, all of the union work that is being put In is having an effect, you know, and so we might even talk about why Chevy Trade Chase is trending. Hint, it is because he's an asshole. All of that plenty more. But first, Carmen, we do like to ask our guests, Yeah, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 5: Well, I was gonna say your first topic is a good one, but we'll go back to the no fault divorce. But I'm gonna tell you know what, and this is not even a plug or anything, but Carrie Washington's new memoir. She's just doing interviews and it just came out. And here's the thing I had to google because I'm reading everything about I haven't gotten the book yet. But she also, like me, found out that her biological father was not who she grew up with.
Speaker 1: Oh oh well, and that.
Speaker 5: Was kept from her whole life until she got booked on you know, Henry Lewis Gates Junior Skipp Junior's show on PBS.
Speaker 4: Oh for real.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then I'm not telling you anything that's not out there. But then they contact her. She was all excited and her parents were excited until they said, well, you need to do a DNA test. And then her parents were like, oh, excuse me, carry to you. You have something to tell you.
Speaker 2: That is the premise of the show.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, so and it's funny because she, I mean, this also happened to me as well, which is what I write about. But what she describes really really well, which I so appreciate because it's not necessarily something people would think about, is she, like me, grew up our whole lives knowing something was wrong, something was off right, almost like feeling like something was wrong with our bodies, like we didn't things didn't match up, and that it was really uncomfortable. It was very like a subconscious thing. And it's lots of anxiety and perfections. All this sort of stuff just happens and you don't even know why, right, and then this all this stuff comes out and you're like, oh, my parents have been keeping the truth from me my whole life, and you imagine living with them and then then they know and every time they look at you. So yeah, all to say, people, please talk to your children, tell the true, Please tell them the truth. But that was my last. That was my last, and Google search.
Speaker 1: Are you like, how radical is the radical honesty with the kids? Are you like a no Santa Claus thing, or are you like, how how far are we going? Are we saying like straight up? Look Santa Claus because their parents are liars.
Speaker 5: First of all, my child figured it out before I even had to say. She's like, she's that kind of kid. She's like, she's my kid. She was like, so I know who you are. I know who you are, Santle, So you can stop it, but please keep writing it all my presence because it's cute. But I think that you know, like she she mentions as well, Carrie as like, when the secret is another human being, right, you gotta talk like you're creating. Basically, I say to people it's like, look, and I get asked this a lot when I give talks. It's like, well, well, what is it? Is it? Entitlement? Like what is it that makes you feeling it? Look, a secret is yours as long as it's yours. But when you create another human being that is no longer yours, that is actually a person, so it's no longer a secret. It's a human And we can say as parents, like, well you're my kid. Listen, kids, do not please everyone, get this through your head. Kids not belong to you. They are not belongings. They are people, so you must treat them as such. And they're separate humans and you need to treat them that way. And part of that is being very honest about how they came about and what's going on in your life. But I will tell you a funny thing is I don't my daughter and I we talk a lot, but one of my nieces said something about my first husband. I can't remember how old my daughter was, but she was like maybe ten, and she was like, you've been married before.
Speaker 3: Like she was like, you kept this from me.
Speaker 5: And I was like, I was like, girl, I just didn't think about it. Tell you, like, it was a long time ago, and it's so that's not a secret. It was just I just didn't think about it. But it was.
Speaker 3: It was hilarious, right right. If I think if like to your point, like, if a secret alters someone's total understanding of themselves in the world they live in, it's like, no, then that's not a secret. That's a potential like psychic bomb that you have to diffuse as quickly as possible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, tremendous bomb, and it affects your whole likely it literally affected me from the time I was a kid, like I remember it. It's definitely there. And you can't subconsciously carrying a secret like that and then living with your secret, right, Like what does that do to you and your relationship with that person? And my thing is like, look, you keep secrets in lines from people that you love. That creates such a big distance that person can't be your real friend or your real like love or your real whatever like where it's just a huge distance that separates you from me people you love.
Speaker 2: So come clean.
Speaker 1: Have to have the courage to come clean.
Speaker 2: What is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 5: I'm not one of those don't be mad at you, guys. I'm not one of those overrated onerary people because I like everybody, like I don't like to yuck anybody's young, I like. But I will tell you this. You know what's overrated the idea that everybody has the right to say whatever they want and not get any repercussion. And I'm mostly talking about We're not talking about the big names. We're talking about like Twitter, Instagram. You know when you post stuff right and it's like, well this is the thing you do with me, and people actually say stuff like that and it's just insane, Like, well, then don't listen, don't watch, don't read, don't you know.
Speaker 3: Whatever, oh you're saying, Like when people take a post and make it about themselves, they're like, but I'm not a woman who had an identity crisis based on like a family secret, So why that's excluding me? Why are you talking about Yeah, it's just so much.
Speaker 5: It's just so bout or even you have an opinion on something, like you're talking about your topics today, right, and it's just that you're like, yeah, well but it's that idea. It's so overrated, frankly, to always constantly have a voice. I tell like, I keep bringing on my kid, but I keep telling her like sometimes the best thing to do is to be quiet and to listen before you say something. Yea, So people, that's very overrated to constantly react and talk all the time.
Speaker 1: You also, you also have the right to say, actually, let me let.
Speaker 2: Me think about that. I don't know if people are.
Speaker 1: Pushing you, yeah, let me think tell me because I have a I am a germinally slow thinker, and I have all this anxiety around being in a conversation and not knowing what to say. And like one of the things that you can do is just be like, hmmm, yeah, I'm not I'm not sure. Let me let me think on that, and like get back to you. And I didn't like the first time I was able to do that, I was like, oh my god, that actually works.
Speaker 5: So you're hosting a podcast now, like, look at you.
Speaker 3: No man.
Speaker 5: One of the things one of the first jobs that I got, it was a job interview and the I said this, I think it was my late twenties and the HR person, I really wanted this job, and she asked me something and I don't know what gone into me, and I just looked right at her and I said, I do not know. I do not know. And she told me later she was like, you got the job because.
Speaker 3: You didn't bullshit me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: It's sometimes people are so bad at bullshitting, Like the second they start bullshiting, like come on, just say you didn't fucking know. Like, sometimes it is so repulsive to hear that. You're like, I'm sure that recruiter's point of the person I was hiring was like, thank god, this person was just a person who said, you know, I don't know because I'm not about to be like, well that's as a concept, will I believe that is very interesting and something that the question right right right?
Speaker 1: What is the question really but a statement with leaving me room to fill it in.
Speaker 5: With exactly, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I also think looking them in the eye and saying I do not know, as opposed to looking to the side and saying oh, which is probably what I would have done in my early twenties, probably helped. So you got nothing underrated or well underrated.
Speaker 5: Well, we were just talking about it, like it's underrated to just admit that you don't know and just because let me tell you, the biggest sign of cohones and ovaries is like telling me you don't know, or I need to read more or I'm not sure or I'm thinking about it, or ask me questions, like just really being curious. It's so underrated, Like just do the work right or you know, if somebody says i'll post something, they'll be like, oh, can you send me the link?
Speaker 1: No, right, Google right right, Like I'm.
Speaker 5: Not doing any work for you.
Speaker 3: That just sets something off in your brain that allows you to go on your own journey seeking information.
Speaker 5: Yeah, super super super so I know this is like deep shit. You're probably like thinking about talk goals and stuff.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I just.
Speaker 1: Wanted to hear your opinions on tacos. This is now I'm just joking.
Speaker 3: Yeah you love it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So often my first thought is to send the gift. Here, let me google that for you. And then my second thought is, yeah, all right, I'll give them the answer. I'll like actually the research for that, so I need to.
Speaker 4: I need to.
Speaker 1: My first thought is here, let me google that for you. My second thought should be either don't say anything and let them kind of fill in the blanks.
Speaker 2: That like that, that could have been something you do.
Speaker 5: Boundaries That is very underrated. Boundaries. I love them. I employ them very much now in my life. I'm a previous not so good at it person. Right, it took a lot of work, but my goodness, the boards.
Speaker 3: My dad would do this thing where if I had a question, I had to go through read books before he would answer a question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so good.
Speaker 3: If I didn't know a word, he's like the dictionary right there. And I said, if I didn't know something historical, he's like I had a kid's encyclopedia, and and like a kid's Almanac to like they just had general ship in there that I would just pour over as a kid because I was just I was always very curious. And if I said, Yo, it's not in here and it's not in here, and it's not in here, then he's like, all right, So the reason they're unhoused people is because of Ronald Reagan.
Speaker 1: And I'm.
Speaker 3: Your encyclopedia wasn't going to tell you, and it wasn't going to say yeah, because it's capitalist trash. All right, I gotta go to my you know, my art meeting.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I was like, Okay, that's great, and it kind of and it it it sort of gives you the natural desire to seek answers out without ever feeling like, well, there's a person that can tell me, and like you first rely on your own curiosity to like, you know, fulfill those needs. So shout out to that man for a very small thing, which it may have just been. It may have been laziness, like it may have been like you the dictionary right there, but there I was.
Speaker 5: I grew up with the same miles. I think we're in the same family. I was so annoyed. I would be like, God, damn it, the answer.
Speaker 3: Just give it to me.
Speaker 5: Man, I am the tired preteen with middle school homework.
Speaker 1: Tell me, did you ever get through did you ever get through the encyclopedia not find the thing you were looking for?
Speaker 3: And then your parent was like, I actually don't know, not that I can remember.
Speaker 5: I'd be too embarrassed to tell him. I would just make something up, make something up, or go ask someone at school.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah is it? I guess you probably can't do the same thing with like, all right, have you checked Wikipedia and have you checked dictionary dot com? Yeah, I have to go out and get the damn books.
Speaker 5: I mean, well, yeah, get the books. But like I tell my kids, and I tell young students, like you got a source stuff, man, you got to watch out their sources, and they teach they thankfully some schools are good enough to start teaching that, because the stuff that's out there is just awful. Yeah, gotta, the information is just garbage.
Speaker 3: There's just and because I mean, I get it's a dope, like we've we've never had more information at our fingertips, but there's also just like there's certain steps we miss and having all that information at our fingertips, like I have a friend who when they like you drive somewhere with their kids, like they say, Okay, let's get the map out. It's not just it's not just Google Maps, it's get them Let's get the fucking Thomas Guide out. And what's the street? Okay, you know how to find the street, and you know the number, so look in the back and find that block and then be like it's over here now and then booth. Now it's less about like just look at it, because you want to be able to be like, okay, now you know how to fuck with a map, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Thomas got I mean the Thomas Guy's probably too much. But like getting a map of Los Angeles, I guess those don't exist. You have to do Thomas Guide.
Speaker 3: You Well, the Thomas Guide is comprehensive, but obviously you could get like a you know, like a tourist full out paper map. You know that hotel lobby or some shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, I got a shopping list, yes I didn't know I was coming into but I got the Thomas Guide, got a history encyclopedia and a dictionary exactly that's what.
Speaker 4: I need to buy.
Speaker 3: You teach them, teach them.
Speaker 1: This episode brought to you by Dictionary.
Speaker 3: By Hoften Mifflin or how Mifflin, or you pronoun Webster.
Speaker 1: There you go. All right, let's take a quick break and we will come back and talk about this no fault divorce battle that the Republicans are trying to trying to get going.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back and we're back.
Speaker 1: And you would think that the Republicans would have seen how they're repealing of reproductive rights and human rights over the past few years has gone electorally for them, and that they would be having a long look in the mirror, having a nice think on like maybe this, maybe our job as elected officials is to reflect the will of the people and not to attack fifty percent at least of the population. But no, they're just they're doubling down. They're like, nah, it's the kids who are wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah and that.
Speaker 1: So this is this is a new one. You know, we've seen we've seen them come for reproductive rights, we've seen them come for the school boards and books, and we had seen like Justin Crowder, Stephen Crowder, one of those names, Stephen Crowder's talked about this like because he's getting a divorce and he's like Madge that his wife can divorce him for being an abusive alcohol Yeah, and but I didn't I didn't know that it was actually becoming like getting adopted into the platform.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Republican Party. It's it's bubbling up right now. Like if you take if you survey the take a sphere on the right. It's something that we've seen increasing like by the year. Like you know, it's always been this thing to like claw back the things that were one in the sexual Revolution. But you know, it's like with repealing row, they're like, Okay, we want to be like more in the sixties. That's kind of like, you know, Roger Ayles famously said Fox News is for people who live in nineteen sixty five, and now they are trying to take divorce laws and go back to basically I think eighteen fifty seven is about where they are going because they will not shut up about no fault divorce, like you said, Steven Crowder's talking about Matt Walsh talks about it, fucking jd Vance talks about it all the way to the State Party of Texas and Louisiana. And they want to basically end the right to divorce, or at least again take it to the nineteenth century, back when you know, husbands could divorce their wives solely based on adultery, but women had to prove additional aggravating circumstances. Like back then, it didn't matter if there was abuse of any kind or even desertion, it was considered insufficient to support a divorce. So no fault divorce laws came about in the early seventies, like and started slowly taking hold in different states, and it allowed countless women and some men the ability to basically divorce without having to prove misconduct by a spouse. And prior to that, we had some truly fucking backwards laws, like if you go back to like because a lot of this shit they again, they want to go back to like the times of the American colonies, where like a fucking divorce was decided by a governor or a colonial court. But like, the burden of proof was so fucking extreme that basically nobody was like, man, fuck this, I don't forget it, Like it's impossible to get fucking divorced. And there was this concept that women were bound by this law of the concept of coverture that meant quote, by marriage, the husband and wife are one person in the law. That is, the very being or legal existence of the woman is suspended during the marriage, or at least is incorporated and consolidated into that of the husband, under whose wing, protection and cover she performs everything. All the money, space, thing, every everything, like even the fucking clothes on your back. No, that is all part of the man that you are basically have been absorbed by. Even mothers lack basic parental rights like if a wife divorced or left a husband, she can not see your children again. And so basically, you know, there was a lot to say, man shit like I'm just I'm kind of stuck here. And then in the twentieth century, laws very sort of by state, including like the number of times a man could assault his wife before a divorce was even allowed. So essentially it just meant that a woman would be left with nothing if they decided they didn't want to stay with their spouse no matter what was going on. And the states that adopted no fault divorce laws in the twentieth century saw all kinds of benefits. Domestic violence rates began to drop, as did murder committed by intimate partners as well as female suicide rates, because now you're evening the scales here, bec someone's like, well, I'm not stuck, So what do you think about that? And now you know, with all that said, we still have these goons out here saying stuff like this, Matt Walsh quote, no fault divorce grants one person the ability to break the contract without the consent of the other. What kind of contract is that? This is what Crowder said. No fault divorce means that in many of these states, if a woman cheats on you, she leaves, she takes half. So it's not no fault, it's the fault of the man. And then he goes on to say, quote, if you're a woman that comes from meager means and you want to get wealthy, you've never worked, you didn't get it degree, you have no skill set, but you're good looking. Your best path to victory is simply to marry a man, leave him, and take half. This is the perspective that they're taking on the Texas gym, and I'm bringing up to where we are now. In twenty twenty two, the Texas GOP's official platform called for the state legislature to quote rescind unilateral no fault divorce laws and support covenant marriage. And when you look at the control the party has in that state, through all the branches, it seems in chambers, it seems like that's something they conceivably could pull off, especially when you consider that federal laws allow for state legislators to easily roll back a woman's ability to initiate divorce without spousal consent or proof of abuse, Like that's there's nothing protecting that. And again, it's just even more wild when you consider the fucking Nazis even allowed for no fault divorce right because they had a really fucked up thing. They're like, well, if it's not producing arians, then yeah, you got it dead. That like that was sort of like their view on it. But even then, and they were allowing for it. So again, this is like a huge fundamental right that people appreciate. That Again, I think the Republicans are maybe like, well, maybe this isn't as hot as reproductive rights, and people will be like, yeah, that is unfair, but I'm not sure considering what the ability to be able to leave your spouse does for a marriage. And I know, Carmen, you were like I got listen, listen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you guys looked out twice today between the dense boobies and twice divorced. I was the first divorce, was before no fault was passed in New York. And the awful part was, you know, it was one of those starter marriages in your twenties. I didn't know what the fuck I was doing. That guy was upend day hole, but it was, you know, and we split. We were only together, married for maybe eight months, and then he went off and knocked up as secretary. But because of New York laws, I was living on my own and I could not divorce him. I had to file for abandoned mint had to prove that he abandoned me, and it couldn't. I couldn't even file for divorce until eighteen months living apart. So I'm married to this guy for a blip, right then I have to wait and the whole process took over two years, and I could not get married again. We had to file taxes together. It was awful, right, it's and ridiculous the second time, of course, very different. But I'll tell you this. My mother, when she got married back in the day with these laws, she ended up going to the Dominican for a quickie divorce, which if you know that that's what was done back in the day, is that if you had a dual citizenship or if you came from other country like you could go the Dominican was known still is. Actually there are some signs if you go to Washington, heats uptown to my Dominica Lana where you see and divorces. You go to another country and you go and you get granted a divorce as long as the two of you do it. But what kind of ridiculousness is this? I mean, look, these men like.
Speaker 2: To own people exactly.
Speaker 5: The history is of these men literally owning people and they own They want to own women, they own their children. They used to own all kinds of humans, right, So this is what they do. And because the more freedom that we have to make all these choices. You're also talking to the former vice chair of the Planned Parenthood Federation. That's devastating what's happened. But you've got to understand that we until we are seen as full human beings, this is not going to fly. They do not see us as full human beings and we do not have so we do not have the rights they want. They need us to be controlled. Also, though, can I tell you though coming from finances was my previous life, is that this is fueled by economics, absolutely fueled. Women now earn the most degrees, they're starting to make more money in the workplace, they're starting to take the jobs they want, all women, because even white women are their competition, not in the workforce, not earning their bucks, not competing in their space. So this is absolutely fueled by mon money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I mean when for the goblins on that side, like I get to basically take away this person's personhood because they are now me and also more dollars from you out there, So yeah, and I can lord that over them when I say what you're going to do.
Speaker 5: But it's only the weakest, you know, it's only the weakest man. Only the weakest would want to do such things for real mediocrity.
Speaker 1: Crowder guy is such a great like example because we've seen what he like. He tried to use his marriage as a form of imprisonment. Like we saw that video from inside his house where he was treating his wife like a servant. Yeah, you know that that is what he wants, is for the person he married to be his prisoner, who he can treat however he wants. So it's interesting that he, you know, once that person is like fuck this, like me like leaves him that he is like the spokesperson for.
Speaker 2: This is this is unacceptable.
Speaker 1: This is I'm being treated unfairly because this person has their own personhood that they want to exercise and their own astronomy.
Speaker 5: Baby my baby maker have her own life, how dear. And it's authoritarianism like to the core. That's who they follow, that's who they emulate, that's how they run their lives.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying, except for the Nazis in this case, like they're like, well, well, let's.
Speaker 5: Not give them any points. No, no, I'm very popular.
Speaker 3: So it's just funny to me that like even there, even in their very like eugenics based concept of like a union, they were like, well, I mean, people.
Speaker 5: It's either that or multiple wives. What are they gonna do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, or like mixed race couples, you know, or a couple where they can't have kids, and like that's you will not win the cross of the Third Reich if you do not have three children or more. But like with Steven Crowder. It's really interesting too, because he's always talking about how like he's so he's always into these traditional gender roles. He's like, men are pretty much like the father is actually pretty much useless if you consider because the woman's space is to raise those children. This guy, meanwhile, he was demanding full custody of his twins even though that was like that's his like main take as like a person.
Speaker 5: Being yea, actually want those children want to harm her. He's going to get another, He's gonna get another, you know, baby maker, and then they're going to buy into the whole thing. And which some women do because they think that they're different. They think that they'll be cared for and that somehow it benefits them. But yeah, until it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we'll see if if this gets a little bit more, becomes a little more mainstream. But on the fringes, it's becoming it's just getting a little bit louder by the second, and we see how that typically happens with Republicans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to then become to adapt the fringiest, most extremist views from yeah like talk radio, Like that's how Donald Trump, you know, prepared for his twenty sixteen run by just like mainlining AM radio talking points like rush limbos shit and like the people who call in. But yeah, the Crowder thing is is interesting that like his he's like, if you're a woman that comes from meager means you want to get wealthy, Like it's right. The only thing that he can imagine a woman or that he wants to imagine a woman having the ability to do is like trap a man. Like, yes, that that's all he can imagine for his partner her, and so that that's how he kind of speaks about the danger. But of course, like you said, Carmen, very very astutely, like the the thing that actually scares them is the unspoken thing that women are smarter and better at their jobs than them and that.
Speaker 4: No must not pass.
Speaker 3: So it must not. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He also used to write columns to producer victors, pointing out he also used to write columns about how he did marriage the right way and like, yeah.
Speaker 3: By not being present when your wife is having IVF treatments, that is that is that how because that's what he did, and not being there for the birth of his own kids.
Speaker 1: That he was getting a procedure to make his chests look stronger when his wife was giving birth.
Speaker 3: Allegedly, allegedly allegedly, but yeah, he yeah.
Speaker 5: Do you think that they know though, these guys, like, do you think underneath all this, because this is all just like such raging rabit insecurity, do you think they like know that they're just really really lame and that's why they have to just control uh, you know, other genders, like like it's just so blatantly like dude, you're so dumb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like just so dumb. Like I think it's like it's I think it's like a truth they don't want to acknowledge, so they just want to have like the laws reflect the reality that they want because rather than being like, yo, man, I'm actually really I'm a small human being. Who I'm tiny, They're like, nah, man, it's these laws. Like it's just that they maybe see it for a second and then they go to, no, it's these laws, man, it ain't meat.
Speaker 1: It's not meat.
Speaker 2: Look at all this stuff.
Speaker 5: I have women's rights and diversity.
Speaker 3: And some people are fully grifting, but I think for the most part it is just you know, projection. Yeah, I think people are generally like smarter than we give them credit for. In large like over all, but also better at self deception than we give them credit for. So I think I think he's able to keep that nice and buried, just very very cozy in there.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be back to talk about Biden and labor and other fun stuff.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back, and we're.
Speaker 1: Back, and Joe Biden is about to become the first sitting US president to appear on a picket line, walking the line with the striking United Auto Workers in Michigan on Tuesday. It feels a bit more like a campaign maneuver than anything else, because you know, as we talked about, like so we've been saying for the past couple of weeks on this show, like it's just sitting there, like, yeah, labor is popular right now, Like people are, the workers have support, workers are exercising power, and they are showing that when workers can come together and exercise power, they get things done that are good, that is good for everybody except the wealthy. And so it's a moment where it's just sitting there, but neither party seems to want to do anything about it, because there is the secret it Like if you're just reading the mainstream media accounts of it, it seems it's like, wait, this is confusing, like that they say they're behind this, but they're like not doing anything to be behind it. Why is that? And it's because they ultimately, in a lot of cases answer to the corporations that these folks are striking against, and that's where a lot of the money comes from. That's a lot of that's who exercises a lot of power in politics. Right. So it is I think a big step forward that the sitting US president is doing something unprecedented. Trump is expected to show up in Michigan on Wednesday to wait. We're not sure what he's going to say aka Riff or you know, what his Trump Jazz performance is going to contain, but there is a chance, you know, like I feel like they are playing chess around or checkers around this idea of like labor is really popular right now and somebody is going to seize on that, and we have a big election company up right, So unpresident announcement. Historians have pointed out presidents have typically seen themselves more as mediators and avoided direct participation in strikes, unless it is sending a machine gun train to shoot at striking workers in West Virginia. But you know, on the other hand, By is trying to throw a support behind the union while not specifically supporting any of their demands. Baby steps, baby steps, It's just gestures here right and I'm here, are ye, Come on, j I'm here right, come on. Sean Fain, the u a W President, seems to be playing his hand really well. He's like, we're not going to endorse anyone without like significant support from that politician. Right. You know, our endorsement doesn't come for free. You know, I have like like big d Democrat friends who are like, this is more evidence, like Biden is the most pro union president in a long time, which is not saying much because it's been a extremely hostile string of presidencies for unions. But I do think, like the one thing I will say that like is encouraging about the story is it's really evidence that unions and organized labor are the most ascendant force in politics right now, like they You cannot ignore that there are more people unionizing, there's more support for unions. We are seeing high profile wins for unions for labor action, and you know, I don't think Biden would be doing this if Trump didn't have a speech scheduled in Detroit. But you know, I don't think Trump would have a speech scheduled in Detroit if it weren't for the fact that, like, there is a lot of energy right now and a lot of public support for labor, and it's really just a matter of like who is going to have the courage to actually support them and you know, actually actually support them and not just you know, do a photo op with them. But I don't think it's because Biden's uniquely leftists. I think this is because leftism is winning approval and winning support because people, like I said, I don't think people are dumb. I think people have been living in this these circumstances for long enough to be like, it doesn't seem like this current neolib order of like let the corporations handle it, let the market handle it, is working, like, so let's try something else out. Yeah, And I think it's very popular, and I think they're slowly coming around to that. I just hope that they're able to come around to it in a way that involves actual legislation and actual political power instead of just photo ops, which is all that it has been up to this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think the words from the White House aren't very encouraging in that sense, because Biden was like, I want this to be a win win negotiation. I'm like, what the fucking co corporate They don't need to fucking would they been winning? What the fuck are you talking about. It's been win lose forever and now it could just be win and make less billions of dollars for the other side. I don't think that you would categorize that as a loss. But I do want to play this clip of Karine Jean Pierre, who you know, was that's pretty directly like, what's the deal here? Is that he's going there? But is he taking sides?
Speaker 1: Can you clear this up?
Speaker 3: What is happening?
Speaker 1: Some past presidents have been an arbiter between two sides that are in conflict. It seems like by going to the picket line, he's not an arbiter between the two sides.
Speaker 3: He's choosing a side by staying.
Speaker 6: Like we have said, we have said over and over again that this is the president that stands with union workers.
Speaker 3: This is That's why it's confusing, where I think it only means he literally stands with you during photo ops. Yeah, outside of that, I mean, hold On continues, We're not going to.
Speaker 1: Talk about I disagree.
Speaker 6: It is not confusing what he is saying. And we've been very clear he stands with union workers. He stands with the workers. He has said, and they have said he is the most pro union president in history, and that is what he's doing. He is going to stand in solidarity at the picket line with the workers. Now they are at the table. They are at the table trying to figure out what this agreement is going to look like. Right, they are going to decide the specifics of that agreement. What the president is saying is and he always says this is nothing new. He always says he stands by union workers and he is going to stand with the men and the women of UAW.
Speaker 3: But you know, in terms of their demands, I know, comment on what they want, Yeah, but I will stand here with them. And I think that's really like to your point, Jack, it's like, whoever just fucking crosses the threshold into full throated support for workers rights and better pay and shit like that, It's gonna fucking go over pretty well with most people. Because again, like you said, a lot of people are tapped into how rampant the inequality is in this country and how much CEOs are just hoarding wealth and keeping that wealth away from families, from everybody. So it's just like, come the fuck on, Like it'd be so easy. But again that the way the system is set up, it's not always easy for a president to be like, yeah, I mean, I'm all about worker rights, and then you know, the big donors coming be like, well, hold on, man, what the fuck was that?
Speaker 5: We don't kind of pop in with the little tidbit of this. This is useful because unlike the other strikes right, like the Hollywood strikes, this with the auto industry, don't forget that we taxpayers bailed out and I think many of us remember that they were going to go under. The government bailed out the auto workers. And the trouble is is that now if their profits and their CEOs are making forty one percent more and everyone else, you know, everything, no one's sharing in any of that. I think it's even more clear. And let's remember like optics are sometimes everything. Like, I don't think a lot of people will remember necessarily what people say a lot of these policis say, but they will remember seeing what they see. They see him there, they see him supporting. But to your point, both of you, let me tell you labor right now, you know, look at what's happening with with settling the actors and writers and all that. Now we've got video games, we've got hotels, we've got airlines, we've got it. Is that time, and it's about freaking time, because you got it. You got a geezer gen xer here with you who can tell you that I bought my first home when a dual income the home was only twice as much as the dual income, right, and that same place. Now, if if we were to buy it at the same income level, completely out of reach, absolutely stratospheric. And that's never been the way in this country ever. So this is a whole new space we're in and something's got to give.
Speaker 2: Private equity baby.
Speaker 3: Monstrous.
Speaker 1: Yeah they just bought, they're just buying all that monstrous.
Speaker 3: Hey you can rent them from us though, Yeah cool.
Speaker 1: So I don't understand, like your home ownership can kind of be like a gig economy, yeah type deal, and we think that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what if we carved up this six bedroom place into a place where forty people could live for an even smaller amount.
Speaker 4: Yeah, is that?
Speaker 3: Does that seems something all are intom think about it?
Speaker 2: Think about it.
Speaker 1: I will say like Biden has argued that the auto companies have not yet gone far enough to satisfy the union, Like, which.
Speaker 5: Is that's very basic.
Speaker 1: That's like being like and I see that you are standing far apart from one another, and but but too, like that is kind of picking sides. That does feel for sure big. So this is what it would take, though, like it would take a politician. I think Trump could do it and just like be full pro union, and the media would just be like, oh shit, like he's going with his like white collar or blue collar supporters, and they wouldn't for a Democrat to do it, I think there would be an immediate backlash across the mainstream media, the question of like, well, he's picking sides and this is socialism. And I think it would require a president to have the courage of their convictions to be like, yes, that's going to be very unpopular with the people who I spend all of my time talking to the media and business leaders and you know, industry leaders, like it's going to be they are going to act like I have just torn up the Constitution and taking taken a shit on it, but it's going to be popular with the humans who actually vote in elections. Yeah, and like that it feels I don't know, it feels like there's we're we're going to be keep moving in the direction where like that wager is going to need to happen for a politician, I just don't I don't know who's who, like what the circumstances they are going to be for them to finally like kind of make come to that realization, you know, because they their democratic strategists are not going to tell them that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're gonna be Yeah. I mean it's funny, like I wish Joe Biden could be like, look, I don't like I helped, I helped y'all out. I was there when we're there, We American people were there.
Speaker 1: I was there, man.
Speaker 3: Now just come on now fuck work with them a little bit. But no, it's not going to be like that. And again, yeah, it is true how quickly a lot of the mainstream coverage memory holes, how how much taxpayers gave to prop up these companies and again, like to your point, Carmen, they're like, yeah, ceope, went up forty percent, forty one percent. They're asking for a forty percent raise in a thirty two hour work week. But you know, it's just it's just a little bit. It's just a bridge too far. And I feel like you'd see some coverage that would be a little bit more like emphasizing how much it would improve the lives. Like it's always just like, this is what they want, this is what they want.
Speaker 5: Fact, take all the take the coverage with so much salt, because right now we're operating you know, I was in journalism for twenty years. We are operating in a space that is so corrupted and so much in trouble. I mean, think about it. The both sides ism, it's not both sides. Both sides should be about what's moral and what's not, and instead it's what's right and what's left. And the problem is you cannot weigh these two things on the same scale at all. But the media is doing this because don't forget who owns it, now runs it, who profits from it. So we are at a really horrid time. And my best advice to people is we really want to see some unbuyased stuff. Read media from outside of this country. Yeah, we're talking BBC. If you read in Espanola, any Mexican paper, you know, anything outside of this country, we'll tell you what's going on here more than our own.
Speaker 1: Stuff, for sure, Just just for context. The other side of this upcoming election is like talking about assassinating generals.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my mother fled this, fled this in her country.
Speaker 3: Like give me a break.
Speaker 1: All right, let's let's do a quick one on Chevy Chase trending, because he went on w t F and made it very clear to everyone why Steve, Martin and Martin short were like three Amigos reunion.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, maybe not, Maybe we.
Speaker 1: Bring in Selena Gomez instead of Chevy.
Speaker 3: Chase because wait, was that was that original? Like was that kind of a thing that I don't know?
Speaker 1: It's two of the three amigos, Yeah, and Selena Gomez.
Speaker 3: Selena Gomez, I think a better one.
Speaker 1: Oh no, they made they made the right decision for sure on that. But anyways, he claimed that he left Community because the show wasn't funny enough for me. Says a guy who like I'm pretty sure, like I haven't seen him do or say anything funny in since I was like seven, I would say since before I was born. Yeah, it's it's been a long I mean, funny Farm. I probably have to rewatch it. But when I was a child, that movie was funny to me. National Lampoons, Christmas Vacation, I again, I have to rewatch it, but funny.
Speaker 3: I don't know. To be honest, I don't I need some more time with this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but since then it's been a pretty sleep steep slide for my man. Speaking of the scene in National Lampoons.
Speaker 3: It's it's rich that he's doing like a Trump thing when we know why he was fucking ousted from the show and be like it actually just wasn't funny enough for me.
Speaker 1: Trump, they didn't get my sense of humor.
Speaker 5: He's not well liked.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The actual reason he left was because he said the N word while going on a rant about his displeasure with the show's writing, and the network was like a and he was like, should I leave?
Speaker 2: And they were like yeah.
Speaker 1: He was like, okay, yeah, well we both think I should leave, I guess, And that's how it ended. Did not end because he didn't think they were funny. Or had like some high minded ideas about the direction of the show, or if he did, the way he expressed those was through racial slurs.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, the hallmark of any great comedic mind. I guess, yes, it's wild though, yeah, like it's just it was. There wasn't a single story that came out like around this time that made chevy Chase look good. I remember, like the second hand I was like, oh, this guy's a piece of shit. Huh okay, okay, good fucking riddance. And it felt like for a while like that show almost was bringing him back, like you know where it's like, oh you get this like goofy old man stick back from Chevy Chase, the thing that he'd like, the one thing he kind of does well, and then turns out he just gotta get angry and using like he used another racial slur in another rant, although it wasn't be specific enough at least reporting, we didn't know which one it was, but we do know it wasn't used to address someone in the cast, which like, oh, so that's better.
Speaker 5: And he also didn't he say also to those just that like or some of the assumption was with that interview that Basically they weren't, you know, bowing to him and worshiping him just like comedic, you know whatever. The man was not well liked since it's snl days, Like, people did not like him as a human being. He's known as a jerk, so.
Speaker 1: Like, dude, Yeah, Bill Mary called him a medium talent and it was so true that Chevy Case like physically attacked him. He was like, that is absolutely devastating.
Speaker 5: The more defensive you get, the more the statement.
Speaker 7: The specificity of calling him the medium, like not no talent, but just like, hey, I'm gonna be honest with you, man, you are a C minus.
Speaker 3: Like maybe I saw you in the dress rehearsal man, that shis mid bro totally And when you.
Speaker 1: Go back and watch those early episodes, guess whose ship doesn't hold up right?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, m m hmm mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Well, Carmen truly a pleasure. By the way, the funniest thing he's done was in community, where he was saying lines that he fought against the entire way, like every single delivering, yes, delivery. Now you guys are man, this is such a pleasure having you. Where where can people find you? Follow you, read you, hearing you see you.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yes, go to my Instagram, car me along, same as the website. Get the book there and get the paperback, get it in Espanol. It's got pictures. Get it and do all those things and slip me a note. Next book coming and a year and a half, so stay t.
Speaker 3: Sh Okay, there you go. Well we'll make sure we have you back before that. I don't want to. We don't need to wait that long to have a thank you our dub appearance on here.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 2: Is there a work at media?
Speaker 1: You've been enjoying a work of media?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, I love the changelingk have you seen that?
Speaker 3: Oh the new new version? Yeah yeah, No I haven't seen it, but I know that it's out.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I've been rocking horror lately, So like this is weird because I left Horror a long time ago. I was a kid that loved like Nightmare on Elm Street. I was that gory wave and then I was just like no, no, no, I'm too scared. Life is too crazy blah blah. And now that we've come through stuff, now all of a sudden, all I want to see is whre like I watched Talk to Me the other night. I scared the out of myself. I did not slip. Did you see that? No, what horror right now is do is fabulous. To all people who have been like worried about watching horror, we are living in the prime state of horror media. Go and enjoy it. Just know that, like, I'm not responsible for your lack of sleep and palpitations.
Speaker 1: Miles, where can people find you as their workimedia you've been enjoying?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, find me on Twitter formerly known as x and Instagram at Miles of Gray wherever you do that, or you know any app based app. And also find us on the basketball podcast Miles and Jackott Matt Boost. He's the ninety day Fiance podcast. I got four to twenty day Fiance and the Good Thief. Check that out. It's a true crime thing. It's only eight episodes, Binge that we're talking about the real Greek Robin Hood who was escaped from the like Alcatraz Greek Alcatraz equivalent twice by helicopter. That's how out here this guy was and to this day still the show's all about looking for him and seeing where he's at. A tweet I like, it's from at Eric Enigma and it's a quote tweet. The first tweets is from another person, Shorty call me a narcissist. So I googled the definition and it sounded like a real one to me. And then then they said, all right, this might be more. All right, this might be boy math lo boy math.
Speaker 2: Tweets I've been enjoying.
Speaker 1: Note. Garfinckel tweeted famous comedian eating a sandwich, you can't eat a sandwich anymore. And Rosie at Roora Amden tweeted, low key sees him and unhanded me. We're huge for the English language, and it was just a reminder that I need to incorporate those two phrases more into my day to day usage of the English language.
Speaker 3: Yeah me, and you proof with yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeikeeist. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and a website Daily zeikeist dot com where we post our episodes and our footnote where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy, Miles, is there a song that you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's a There was a Kenny Beats album that came out last year. There's a track on there called Rotten and it's just like a nice you know, just get the New York vibes and the here with Carmen just you know, it feels like old school Golden Age sort of New York boom bath instrumental. It's called Rotten by Kenny Beats. So check that out. It's on Spotify. In it and uh yeah, no to that one.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: The Daily Zeitgeist is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from my Heart Radio is the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That is gonna do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending, and we will talk to y'all then byellow it.
Speaker 3: Tim