Speaker 1: Wind Down with Jana Kramer and I'm Heart Radio Podcast.
Speaker 2: This week's listener guest, we've got Brittany Ryan Smith. She's got questions about co parenting and how to handle it all, so let's get her on.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 1: I'm Jana.
Speaker 2: It's nice to meet you. Where do you live.
Speaker 3: I live in Houston, Texas, Okay, but I have to tell you I'm also from Michigan.
Speaker 1: I will yay.
Speaker 4: I was born in Marquette, so I'm from the up.
Speaker 2: Well that is okay. So I have a and we'll just jump right into it if you're good with.
Speaker 4: That, please.
Speaker 2: I have my uncle's parents used to live up in Marquette and the only memory that I I have two memories of the up. One was there's a jail up there apparently, so my mom and I we took like a wrong turn and we didn't, you know, We're trying to make it back to like my uncle's cabin and we just see these like jail workers outside. And again I'm like probably six or seven, but I just have that. They're like vivid memory and my mom being like, oh, we're lost, and then seeing these guys orange jumpsuits.
Speaker 1: And then the second one is the bear.
Speaker 2: The bears literally started pounding down the front porch door.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, that's so scared.
Speaker 1: Do you have any bear incidents?
Speaker 4: We did.
Speaker 3: We used to do a lot of camping, always in an RV. But I just remember like being really little and my mom was like, get in the camper, Get in the camper, and I'm like, what's going on and looking out the little window and there's a huge bear and I'm like.
Speaker 2: The copper minds up there, though, are so great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've heard.
Speaker 3: I I moved when I was young, so I don't remember a whole lot.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: My My biggest memory, honestly is the lake and going to the lake house and my uncle's and so I came and I'm so happy for you that you got your lake house.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. I know it's been. It's been. It's been great memories. So okay, so tell me your situation and what is the biggest question you've got.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I got a divorce in twenty twenty, I know, like the worst time, Like already the world is scary, and then I just added this even bigger change.
Speaker 2: Did you do that during COVID or was it because I guess was it because what COVID really March was when the lockdowns started to happen, wasn't it right?
Speaker 4: It hid in March.
Speaker 3: We locked down in March. So he ended up going to rehab in February, obviously for alcoholism.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 3: So he's an alcoholic, which I didn't know. We've been married for almost ten years together for twelve he lied to me the entire time, and obviously, like I had inklings about it, and I would question things, but you know how the addicts are, They lie and they cover, and so he finally came truthful the beginning of twenty twenty, went to rehab in February, and then of course I think, like he's going to come back and we're going to work on it and things are going to be so good, and it just it almost seemed like things got worse. He met a woman in rehab, and then he was lying about that, and it was just I couldn't do it anymore.
Speaker 2: Isn't that interesting? Not to cut you off? But I'll never forget too. I had a very vivid memory when my ex went into rehab came out. I'm expecting like this apology, this ownership of I messed up so bad our family. I'm so sorry, And it was like I have boundaries now, and I'm like what, like, yes, you deserve your boundaries, but like where where, like is any of the acknowledgment of literally who you destroyed and like what you destroyed?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like and I love that they come out with this energy of Okay, they want things to change.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: But I feel like the big piece and what I've seen in other people when they go to intensives, they'll come back and they they come back still forgetting the wound that they left in the first place, and that's the piece that always kind of bugs me. Like I love when people go do intensives. I think it's great, and I don't think it I don't think they do a good enough job of helping them also go back to because it's like they always like, oh, hey, don't talk about it anymore, and like you guess you hurt the person, but it's like they don't. I don't feel like they do a good treatment plan for how they should talk to the person they hurt.
Speaker 1: Post Yeah, that's like a whole other story. So anyway, so he comes.
Speaker 3: Out, Yeah, and we we end things, yep. I mean I I just couldn't. He was still lying and I was just unhappy, and you know, he broke the foundation of our of trust and that's kind of what our relationship should be built on.
Speaker 4: And so I couldn't do it anymore.
Speaker 3: And so obviously trying to coparent with him was it was horrible.
Speaker 4: I couldn't.
Speaker 3: I would have a panic attack every time you would call her text.
Speaker 4: I couldn't do it.
Speaker 1: How old are your kids at this point?
Speaker 3: So this was six years ago. So now my daughter is going to be fifteen next month, So she was like nine, and then my son is eleven, so he was like four.
Speaker 4: About the time time, or three, I guess. So they're little.
Speaker 3: Well, shortly after he moves out, he remarries, and so in my mind I was like I had like this little light. I was like, oh, I can co parent through her, Like she'll be our buffer. You know, she should be more mature, things will get better. She ends up being worse than him. She was awful to me, like told me I had no rights to my own children. She would keep them from me. She would lie to me about times that were supposed to me like she was terrible. It made things so much worse. So then I couldn't coparent with either of them. I'm like in a dark, deep hole, like wanting things to be cordial and have like this happy environment. We just couldn't do it. Luckily that that marriage ended pretty quickly. So then he came around and obviously like now he's trying to work on himself. Sure, and so we it took us a long time to get to a healthy co parenting where I can talk to him where I can't and be around him. We you know, So three years post divorce, we start sitting close to each other at our kids' games, just because my daughter was like, I don't know who to sit with. I don't like what do I do? It's so awkward, And so I'm like, we can sit I don't have to sit right next to him, but let's sit close and instead of going through the kids to communicate, let's communicate to each other. So when my boyfriend came in in twenty twenty three, so it's almost been three years because we met in November. So he sees us happy and friendly and all the things in which he likes. He's very respectful.
Speaker 4: Of my ex but he also like he's.
Speaker 3: Like, do you guys have to talk so much? Like why are you texting all the time? You know? Is this really important?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: Do we have to sit with him at the game, Like we can be nice, but do we have to be that close? And so obviously you're in the same position you have Alan and Mike, and so it's like, how did you handle that? How do you kind of merge those worlds together?
Speaker 1: Is question for you?
Speaker 2: Is your now boyfriend does he have kids from another marriage?
Speaker 3: He does, he has two children the same age as my children. Unfortunately he doesn't see them very bad on his exus side and they could not.
Speaker 2: Get away, so they don't have good communication.
Speaker 4: Then is zero community?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: So I think that honestly plays a big piece into it and where I can also, I do relate to you a lot in that situation, you know, even just what you said, you know now you're sitting next to him in things. You know, for example, the other day there was a parent you know, meet the teacher night and the year that you know, we got divorced. I remember walking into the gymnasium seeing him and I sat the farthest I could possibly sit from him, you know. And now it's like I saw him in the gymnasium the other day and there was a seat next to him. I sat right next to him, you know, And it was because it doesn't have to be that tension. And I think we as moms, like we know the tension that it can bring the kids to if they're and I come, I came from a divorce family, and I felt that tension. And so what I've always wanted to do for my kids is to also for them not to feel that. So that's why even when I in the very beginning of our divorce, like I still invited him to the birthday parties because I'm like, I have to separate my own hate for him for the love of my children. And you know, through that, it's like you form a new relationship no matter how bad your ex hurt me, mine hurt me. It's like we have we have our children, like we have to co parent. We have to come to a good place. So there's no point in us having all this friction and animosity. There's no point in talking about our past. Yes he hurt me, Yes I hurt him, you know, I'm sure he has his you know, versions of why he did what he did, and that's fine, that's his to have and to feel. But all I can do now I was just focus on our new relationship now and so what is Yes, what I can understand with what you're saying, is if people had a harder time with a co parent and they can't communicate together, it's sometimes hard for other people to see other co parents communing together because it's not normal for them.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's not because maybe they had more friction and they just couldn't couldn't communicate, you know. So Alan is very respectful and now back to him, like he's very respectful with how he like he's you know, when Mike comes over, they do a little like fist bump or whatever. You know, Mike would go golfing with him, but Alan is not like he he does have a very much like a line in the sand with where like he doesn't want to have that relationship because he's in his mind he's like a kid just go bad, you know, and it just he's like, I just have to keep a level of distance. And in my mind, I'm always like I I just I do not like tension, like it literally does something in my body, and you know, sometimes he doesn't understand. I'm like, well, we could always invite him here, and it's like sometimes it's like he doesn't. He's like, but why, And I'm like, because I think it'd be good for the kids, and a piece of me like also needs it from my nervous system too, you know, like I just want there to be peace and to not have any issues. But I do respect and see like your boyfriend's point of view and Alan's point of view too, I really do. And that's where it's like, because there should be a line. I think there should be. I think obviously we have to communicate because we're parenting kids together, but there's a certain point of and I think it is respectful to you know at games, like yes, I'm standing by him at games, but like sometimes we don't have to talk the whole time. You know, like there there can still be a line where if your boyfriend's not comfortable with it that you know, it's not like he doesn't have to be buddy buddy and sit there with him the entire game. Like maybe it's like a hello and then and then you can go to a separate part because you also know that that might be more comfortable for him, and sometimes like you don't owe your ex anything. All you owe is just to be the great co parent on the other side, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, I like that, but I.
Speaker 2: Get it's hard too, because it's like I sometimes over I get overly friendly and overly like communicative because I just don't want any drama. I don't want any discomfort. I want the kids to see us happy. I want everybody to get along. And then I'm like, you'd barely said hi to him. He's like I said hello. I'm like yeah, but you didn't have a conversation. He's like I don't need to. And I'm like, oh, you know. And so it's like you're right, but there's something within me that wants so much peace same even though there is peace, and like they don't need to do any more than a hello, but like for some reason, it does something for me. And that's that's like our own issue versus like their issue, you know.
Speaker 3: Right, No, I get that, And it's like I want the kids to see, like, look, everyone's talking your friends and everything's good. But it's like we're not really friends. We're just friendly.
Speaker 4: So there's a difference there.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think that's the piece too.
Speaker 2: And it's like that's where like my where my husband, you know, he will go, you know, he he's done all these things in the past to you, So what what's to think that something like a lie wouldn't happen again, or like can you really trust? So he's like, you need to still keep your space and boundaries, and like I do, I do get that piece. But I'm like, if it's not involving me and it's just involving the kids, and it doesn't matter, you know. So but I you know, I do, I do see his point, and I also know that we both have to respect you know, that that communication and you know, when it comes to like texting and stuff like you have to the amount of times like today, I've already had three conversations with my ex because he's like, oh, shoot, I forgot Jason's mouth guard for football, and since he's out of town this time, hey, oh how is the last you know, parent teacher? And so it's like, you know, we're on the phone chitting and chatting. You know, Well it's our children, you know, and so we have to have those conversations.
Speaker 3: But I do feel bad because there are times it's like my ex will text me at like nine o'clock at night and my boyfriend's like, hey, that's our time, like totally have to respond to him right now, and he has a like I totally understand respect. But sometimes I'm like, let me just do it, because otherwise I'll forget and then my kids will suffer because it's like we're looking for a retainer or we're looking the book was left over there, and I need to make sure he brings it in the morning, so it's just hard to find it about Like I want to respond, but I guess there's things that I guess I need to pick and choose better about what I respond to.
Speaker 2: That's a really and that's a really great point too, Like if it's not an immediate need or immediate like you have to like if they need that library book that's you know, needs to be returned tomorrow, sure respond to the text. But if it's not something that is important that can wait, like you know you're going to respond, like we're going to we're going to remember, we will you know it'll come back around. But I think that's a total legitimate request, and you know, something had made my ex my husband uncomfortable, and you know, I'm like, okay, you know what, You're right, like I might have overstepped on that one, and I can look at it. At first, I was defensive because I'm like, no, I'm just trying to make everybody happy and this, that and the other. But I'm now more mindful because I'm like, you're right. I think if that was flipped and that was how it was on the other side, I'd feel that same way. So I think it is important to to see and I would think the same thing. And you know, really at nine o'clock, this is like our time together when the kids are in bed, you know, so I do get that.
Speaker 3: No, you're you're right, and yes, I've seen it from his side. And then I made the mistake of you know, like I want to be friend, Like I need to be friendly with my ex. So here's what I tell my boyfriend. You know, he's he's been my ex has been sober for a year, and it's not if he falls off the wagon, it's when. And I need to make sure that I have a good enough relationship with my ex that he'll come to me and tell me when it happens, so that way our kids don't get put in danger.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing though, and I'm going to go thirty thousand feet above on this one, please, because I've been in a situation where I thought that same situation would happen, Like if someone got into a relationship and then you know, you find out that they're doing something again that they shouldn't be doing. You want to believe, and that I think where I was very hurt in a situation where you want to believe that they're going to come to you and tell you the truth. But what were they like when they were married to you? Did they come to you and tell you the truth?
Speaker 4: Never?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, you're expecting something to to happen that most likely will be you want them. You want to believe in the person that they are changing, that they're doing the things to be a better person for not only you know, your kids, but for themselves. But the disappointment that will come when you realize and you look at them in the eyes and you go, are you sure there's nothing you want to be honest with me about and they look at you and say, no, everything's great. That moment will break your heart if you believe that they're like again, you can believe and pray and hope, but to think that they're going to come to you and give you a different version than they were when they were married to you, when you were the like the their wife and the you know, mother of their children, I just would not hold that peace.
Speaker 1: So dear to your heart because it will.
Speaker 2: I could eventually break your heart in that moment because you're be like, yead, I really wanted something different.
Speaker 1: I really hope that you changed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: So I get why you're wanting to do it. And you can still be there. You can still be I don't know what your religious background like. You can still pray for him and hope that that will be the thing. But an addict does normally what they do, and if they're going to fall off the wagon, they're gonna lie to the person they've lied to before. That's just from my own past experiences. Even when you prayed that they had changed post you.
Speaker 3: And yeah, when they tell you that they've changed, and yeah, they really want to.
Speaker 2: Believe, And that's the heart and that's the piece where it's like, that's where like your boyfriend, my husband where they're like, don't believe, like you're not friends, like.
Speaker 1: Stop, like, but I'm like, but we are. Everything's like it's okay, Like we can be and it still can be that.
Speaker 2: But to think that you still have that piece that you wanted when you were married, it's not. I still don't think you're going to get the response that you wanted. Then you're still most likely going to you know, falter back to that.
Speaker 4: No, you're right, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know, but I mean again, like I had experience like that, but again it's maybe you know all and all you can do is just be there and do your part.
Speaker 1: And that's what I would say to people too.
Speaker 2: I've got, you know, some friends that are going through it right now with the exes and it's so hard and it's like I don't I will always hope and pray that they are the best versions of themselves so that they can be the best dad to our kiddos. And what they do in their personal time is their personal time. And if we can all come together and everyone's just kind and respectful, we don't all have to go on vacations. Even though in my perfect world, like that would be like, let's all go on, you know, Like I felt guilty saying I was telling my ex about, you know, a trip that we want to plan, so I was kind of giving him a heads up. And when I hung up the conversation, I was like there was a piece of me that felt bad that I couldn't be like, you're more than welcome to come, but like I know that my husband wouldn't appreciate that, yeah, you know. And so it's like, and it sucks because I'm like, I just want, like when it comes with the kids, like that we can all just be together. And I know that's like a fantasy layer the world of you know, Gwyneth Paltron and Chris Martin and how they were all accucasions, But I mean, and I think it maybe ken in the future, like when they're older. But I also, you know, we need to respect the other halves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I also you know, if I didn't have kids with my ex, we would.
Speaker 4: Not communicate at all. He would be no my life.
Speaker 3: So it's like I don't I don't even want to communicate with him now, and I only do it because I have to.
Speaker 4: So definitely do not want to vacation with him.
Speaker 3: But it's just because you have a sweetheart and you're looking out for your kids.
Speaker 2: So I just don't I just can't handle the the that that like feeling, you know, in the in the chest. I just want everybody to be happy and get along and everyone smile and high five, you know, like and I and I appreciate when I, you know, see my ex with you know, mine and Alan's kids, like Roman, like the effort that he puts into Like there is a piece of me that respects that so much because he he could never look at his direction, you know what I mean and not acknowledge him, and like they're a little like So there's things that I so appreciate that he's been willing to do and able to do post our divorce too, you know. And so that's where you can have appreciation for your X and the things that he's doing to change himself to be a better person, you know. So I think it's I think it's great, and I think you have the best energy and you're doing all the right things, and I'm just like, I'm really happy for you.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you.
Speaker 3: That means a lot coming from you. So I mean, and I always said, if I ever got a chance to talk to you, I want to. I want to tell you thank you because you helped me through the darkest time of my life. I know you're probably like how we don't even know each other, but listening to you on Instagram and your podcast and reading your books and you just being so vulnerable and sharing all that raw emotion when you're going through your divorce and all the things that you went through and just being so public with it like that helped me.
Speaker 4: And I cannot thank you enough.
Speaker 3: Like any time I would go through something and always like, what would you hanna do?
Speaker 4: Oh? God?
Speaker 3: And then when I saw you become happy with Alan, I'm like, Okay, that's hope for me that I could be happy again. I might find a man out there that could love me the way that Alan loves you, and I found him and it's the most amazing feeling. But you just you were a light for me and so and you continue to be a light. And I hope that you come bring Wine down to Houston just.
Speaker 2: I know, hopefully we can reschedule everything, but I so appreciate you saying all that. That's very very very kind, And yeah, I'm just I'm so grateful you're on the other side of things and hopefully you know everything is all all works out and everyone's happy.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you, Thank you, Brittany.
Speaker 1: You're sposed. I really appreciate you coming on.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you having me.
Speaker 2: Thank you all right, bye Brittany, Bye bye.