Speaker 1: Hey, what a welkoman. I'm Doug gottlie This is All Ball.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 3: We've been doing all ball now for like five years. I even have players like Dude, I listen to all Ball. So we'll continue with the storytelling. We're gonna start pumping out a greater volume of these. Obviously now there's a video component to it as well, So we want to thank you for your patients and getting everything kind of up and running here in GB. A reminder of The Doug Gottlieb Show is daily three to five Eastern twelve two Pacific.
Speaker 1: He continues on, there's a podcast for that as well.
Speaker 3: A lot going on in international hoops, not as much NBA hoops, and obviously some in college hoops.
Speaker 4: I'll just kind of.
Speaker 1: Give you an update of where I am, where Green Bay hoops is. We have.
Speaker 3: Twelve twelve committed scholarship players, nine of whom are on campus, and then we have a gaggle of recruited walk ons as well, and it's been fascinating. You know, do I I don't have experience, but I do have a lot of kind of athletic talent, maybe some basketball talent, and trying to kind of mold that and matriculate it towards getting getting it ready for November fourth, when we play our first game. It has been a challenge and it's really interesting, right Like people tell you all the time the challenges of being a college basketball coach.
Speaker 1: You know, I've heard different ratios.
Speaker 3: Seventy five percent is not coaching, ninety percent is not coaching. I would say it's in the sixty percent is not coaching. But again, what I feel like is if you as coaching isn't just the basketball thing, it's the managing people.
Speaker 1: It's the managing their time.
Speaker 3: It's the getting them, you know, blending the how much time do I have them in the gym, how much time do I have them in the workout in the weight room? How much time do they put into workouts? And then how do we blend it with school as well? But there is definitely challenges at this level because you just don't have the numbers of people helping you out, so you have to do things on your own, which I love, but as somebody who never says no to anything, it does become a lot. But it's been incredibly enjoyable. I like my group, like I love my group as human beings.
Speaker 1: I like my group.
Speaker 3: I know, I think we've pretty much identified our weaknesses and some of our strengths, and I think trying to highlight our strengths and minimize our weaknesses is kind of the challenge of the next couple of months. But we've we have one week left of workouts, and what I've committed to doing is playing a full game today and playing a full game next week as well, just so guys get the feel of competing for for informative wars. Understanding TV timeouts, understanding locking in at a timeout, and how you know what we're going to run, how we're going to defend out of a timeout is incredibly important.
Speaker 1: And really we spend time trying to.
Speaker 3: Teach everything, and my thought on teaching everything, and this really comes from coaching youth basketball, and I'll fully admit my younger group, so they were I started coaching a fourth grade B team, and then the next year I had another fourth grade team, which my son was he was playing out before, and then he was playing at the right level. I would get upset at things that I had lightly coached, but I hadn't really taught them in a practice, and like, here's The biggest challenge I think for coaches is you can't hold players accountable for something you have not told them when I try and coach the way I want to be coached, Like, hey, if you don't listen and pay attention, that's on you. But if I don't coach it and then I assume that you can do it in the game or you know, in a.
Speaker 1: Situation, that's on me.
Speaker 3: So we've tried to go through the summer and teach as many little things as possible. You know, don't take the ball out underneath the basket. Where are the hashmarks on the floor? You know, where's the alley, where's the slot? Where's the top of the key? Why do we want the ball at the top of the key? Because there's no help side all of these different things. And it's it's fun, like it's it's incredibly fun. And to answer the the the question how good do you think you'd be? I have no idea zero, And honestly, I don't care. I don't I want my team to play good basketball. I want my team to get better. I want them to look better next week than they do this week. And I think we've accomplished it. Every week, we've looked better, and you know, then we'll figure out when we throw them into the deep end with somebody's guaranteed games and even some of the non guarantee music are games, hard games. And I do this where I look at our schedule, like, dude, we're going against really good coaches. So it's going to be hard for me first year. But I'll learn and we'll adjust and we'll get it right. So my staff continues to grow, and I want to welcome in Jordan McKay. Now, Jordan, we'll have him tell the entirety of his story over the next couple podcasts, but the first part of his story is he's on my staff.
Speaker 1: Obviously, been on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Superstar for years. Started really he was the guy who made Ball of his life something you had to go and watch, like, who is this kid from Wisconsin? Holy shit, he can handle the baldy pass it and he's got some shit to him right. He was like the new Jason Williams. And he is the only holdover from Sundance Wick's staff. Now, Sonny had just hired him like a week before I got the job, and the.
Speaker 1: Whole thing made sense to me.
Speaker 3: And he's not on the recording yet, so I'll just tell you he's super impressive, Like he's twenty five going on forty, just has a good balance about him, good understanding of him, you know, still a little impulsive, as so much of us are in our youth. There was a player who when I first got here, he's like, we got to take this kid, coach, And I have total faith in my assistance, like they tell me I got to take somebody.
Speaker 1: So it's like, let me watch every Synergy clip we have on him. So he watched and I was like, like, what don't you like.
Speaker 3: I was like, well, here's what I value and here's how what he does. And after that it's been a great relationship. And part of it is you have to tell people what you're looking for, what you want, and again like I have no doubt that some of the guys that I want that we brought in that I personally evaluated, may not fit, may not be good enough, or may not fit. So it's all learning and evaluating process. But Jordan star in any business, but especially in this business, he'll be a star. I think he'll be a head coach within two three years. Because one obviously every kid that we go recruit knows him. He's really good with the players, at coaching him mentally, emotionally, beating the shit out of him, but also like that kissing their ass just there was a realness to it.
Speaker 1: And his youth is a strength and he's like me, he's up with the crack of ass.
Speaker 3: Now he does go to bed early, which I don't really understand, but that's what happens when year twenty five. Anyway, let's welcome in. He's Jordan McCabe. We'll talk about Jay five's nickname.
Speaker 1: He joins me. Now an all ball as we bring in my guest for today.
Speaker 3: He's also one of my assistant coaches and he's he's an ig icon as well.
Speaker 1: He's the one and only j five.
Speaker 3: Jordan McCabe joins me, and I just want to get your opinion real quick on the I guess it's a controversy which has now kind of been muted a little bit with Jason Tatum not playing in the first game. Terry's Alburton also didn't play in the first games, Like no one.
Speaker 1: Even mentioned that, right, and I get it.
Speaker 3: He wasn't first team All NBA's team didn't win an be a championship, but Terry's Alberton was an star and literally didn't play a minute and no one said a word about it, which brings me to a bunch of other stuff. Additionally, Game two, Jason Tatum starts and Joel Embiid doesn't play a minute, and again very little chatter about as they dominate South Sudan. Let me just first get kind of get your thoughts. You watched, I know, both games. What do you think of the fact that that Steve Kerr didn't use Tatum, didn't use Haliburton in Game one?
Speaker 4: So I think there's two ends of every spectrum, right, Like I think you coach pee wee basketball and you're like, I just need two or three guys who can make a basket, and then you have USA Basketball where it's like I have way too many guys who can wait make way too many baskets, and I don't know how I'm gonna make this work. So anybody who you know wanted to be a Twitter coach on Game one, I don't think realizes, you know, the actual challenge there is on that end of the spectrum with having World Cup class basketball players all the way down here. Last guy and it's like any other team. It's like any other game. There's only so many minutes and so many rotations that make sense.
Speaker 1: Totally true, you know, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: So when I coached Maccabi games in Israel, and again I'll start with the premise, I think everybody knows.
Speaker 1: I'm in no way comparing.
Speaker 3: My guys for Maccabi USA with Jason Tatum and Terry's Halberd and Joel embiid okay, but the issue still remains the same. You have twelve guys you want to get in. They're of similar competent talent levels, and you have forty minutes in a FEBA game. And oh yeah, by the way, like, here's the biggest similarity in the two right, the trying to play everybody thing is a big thing. But the only thing worse than not getting guys in is losing. Like, if you lose, it's the end of the world. It's everybody's caught us, You're an idiot. No one blames the players, everybody blames the coach. So the first and most important thing is to understand when you're coaching, here's how I feel.
Speaker 1: And this is going to be.
Speaker 3: A challenge for us going forward, going to your bench can be a great thing, but it's a lot like every time you go into surgery, every time you open somebody up, there's the chance of something going wrong, of changing momentum.
Speaker 1: For the worse.
Speaker 3: Right, It's it's like that's what they say about guys that have had ten knee surgeries.
Speaker 1: Right, It's like, look, every.
Speaker 3: Time we want to fix something, but every time you going to fix something, you know you can get a bacterial infection, you can screw up something else. You know you can get scar tissue. Like there is a good to fixing it, which you can with subbing. Guy gets tired. But you also you change the matchups, you can change momentum. And I'll just tell you I love the feeble rules. But it's a much more free flowing game. There's a lot less stoppages, and there's four less minutes and a half eight less minutes a game. And then the last part is like as embarrassing as some people make it out to be to not play. Jason Tatum and tyres Halburton also consider the you get to the fourth quarter, you're up twenty, and you know it's more embarrassing than that is putting them in garbage time, like it's actually worse to go and like, hey man, you want to go get five minutes like namm good. You know, especially when a guy has never done that in his life and they all feel like they're going to get hurt, They feel like they embarrassed. It does embarrass them and it feels like it embarrassed themselves. Whereas if you just go like, hey, this is part of our plan. Kevin Durant played way better than we thought and we just went with a ten man rotation, like, got it understood.
Speaker 4: So the good news for Steve Kerr is that, you know, unlike AU, I don't think John Haliburt and ty Reese's dad called Steve Kerr and flipped out on him. You know, That's that's what happens in AAU is that dad calls and little little Timmy didn't play, and hey, you start little Timmy next game, or maybe you won't get the fund in for your jerseys next year, so Steve doesn't have to worry about that.
Speaker 3: And like you said, it's the hardest shit, the hardest shit, and you're like or the or the hey my kid came to every practice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Yeah, your kid's not as good as you other kid.
Speaker 4: He needs five times more practices than we actually hold.
Speaker 1: His four or your kid.
Speaker 3: Every time he came in, he shot the ball, you know, because he is you know, he actually made it worse and made it made it, made it better. Speaking of which, uh, how how close in age your same age is, tyres aren't you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Tyrese and I grew up playing in the same conference in Northeast Wisconsin high school basketball. You can, uh if you even believe that?
Speaker 1: Did you did you see this? Did you know this was was coming from him?
Speaker 4: No? And I would tell him that too, And I think that's what he'd probably smile when he heard me say no. If anybody knew that he had this level of capability was him and only him, especially when he was young in high school. He was super lanky, he was kind of positionless. His shot was funky, but you know, it went in just like it it does now, And he knew that but didn't care like that was theful thing about Tyreese. The best thing about Tyreee is not like the level of basketball player he is. The level of human being that man is is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: He's always like, like me, give me example.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, like, I don't think I've ever seen him not smile during a game of basketball, and we were in some of the most heated competitive games high school games in the area. I don't have a specific example, but oh, actually I do. So I had a nonprofit organization that we tried to help out some families. We're going to do another one here soon in Wisconsin, and it was a skills clinic for little kids, and we're going to raise money all this stuff. The first person I called was Tyrese Alberton because at the time, like I was close with him, he was a big name. He was starting to kind of gain momentum towards the end of his high school career, and he was all in, Like he was like, you can take my whole Saturday Sunday, let's go do this thing. Ended up raising over like fifty grand as some high schoolers just for a family that was in need. So that's one one example of Tyres. But yeah, he was unbelievable, especially when he got to the right spot at Iowa State. Like that was the decision maker that in USA basketball took him to a completely different level. He was Gatoraye Player of the Year in the state. He was really good. Not trying to discredit his high school career, but the Olympics, like I don't. I don't think anybody from our area when he was a sophomore, and I think Tyree would agree, would say that's an Olympic basketball player right there. He's a top you know, twenty guy in the world, like I never not at that time, not at that time.
Speaker 1: It's the whole thing is fascinating. Okay.
Speaker 3: So, and I want to circle back to your story as well, but just on Ontario.
Speaker 1: So when you you guys are exact same year in high school, correct?
Speaker 4: Correct? Yep?
Speaker 1: Okay, So, who was at Marquette as their point guard?
Speaker 4: Went on visit? I think Howard was that towards the end of my career.
Speaker 3: Marcus Howard not because then you're a college career, high school career, my high school career, right, So Marcus Howards is starting point guard, so and he's not going he wasn't going anywhere, right And then do Wisconsin offer you both?
Speaker 4: Oh? Good question on tyresee, Wisconsin did all not offer me? And I committed after my sophomore year, going into my junior so they did not offer me.
Speaker 1: Why so early?
Speaker 4: You know what, I was always like a super impulsive kid, like I think this is one of the ways, like the whole prefrontal cortex thing like seven years ago is not that far from me, but completely different processing system up top. Now I had a big twelve offer. I was stoked about it. All I could think about was I could get to play Kansas. I didn't think about, Hey, you know they're a defensive minded program, right, and you don't play defense that well, if at all, in high school, right, So all I could think about was the level and the lights and all that stuff. And I always tell people like I was going to make it fit. Every recruit we talked to on the phone is like, oh, what are you looking for? I'm looking for the right fit. Well, the problem is when you're sixteen and seventeen and you're a square peg in West Virginia's a round hole, you're so stubborn. I'm so call it egotistical. I'm like, I'll make it work, I'll make it fit. And it did it, you know so I just made a very quick and rash decision, but maybe it was the best one. I met my fiance. I have lifelong friends and relationships in West Virginia. I'll go back to Morgantown whenever I can. My first job was there, Like sure, from a plane perspective, horrible idea. I can admit that now, and I tell Hugs to his face. Pretty sure I have told him at some point. But I love him to death, and I love the city to death. And I'm here where I am now. So that was kind of the decision.
Speaker 2: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk line up in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Did you did you play any other sports growing up? Because I know you hate baseball. You made that abundantly clear.
Speaker 1: You have no time for baseball. Do you play anything else going up?
Speaker 4: Nobody has time for baseball? Like that's the biggest thing, is the time, contrade. So I played little league baseball. Didn't love the whole like you know, thirty five percent is good. I was crying a lot, throwing stuff. Remember prefrontal cortex not all the way there yet, So quit baseball. Stuck with football through Pop Warner got reprimanded and Pop Warner had a meeting with the commissioner for swearing at that age. Wasn't okay.
Speaker 1: I thought, what age?
Speaker 4: What is Pop Warner? I would have been probably like eight eight ish seven eight nine, But I mean, I mean just bad routes and lack of communication among our whole group. And you know, when we got back in the huddle, I'd let people have.
Speaker 3: It reprimanded by the commissioner. I played, I played, it was it was junior American. I played Pop Warner just my eighth grade year.
Speaker 1: I played all growing up. I love football.
Speaker 3: What position, mostly quarterback, a little running back. My first year though, playing when I was seven, I played on the Orange Raiders the eighties, and I played like I was like the littlest kind of team. I played like noseguard, and literally that my job was like the ball was snapped and I would even try and dive underneath the legs of the center to tackle the quarterback to just get a foot, you know, just kind of like sneak in there.
Speaker 1: And I never got the ball.
Speaker 3: And then my second year, I was swear to god, I got pictures to back it up.
Speaker 1: I was on the Orange Packers and I was the I was the quarterback and it was awesome. I got named.
Speaker 3: Larry Powers was my coach and the seven to eight year olds, which is this youngest division. They always played the nine AM games. Nine AM games had eight AM wayans, so he'd pick me up from my house. This is probably so my dad was either still coaching or they had just gotten fought when. It's probably the year they goten fired at at Yeah, it was probably the year they got fired at Lombey State, so he went up to Oregon State for a year. I was like a volunteer assistant, so I didn't you know. My mom had two other kids at home, and Larry Powers would pick me up at seven o'clock. We go to the donut shop, have donuts and talk game plan strategy, and then we go to the weigh ins and then play. And then I'd sit around the football field all day and then wait for my brother to show up. My brother played in a later game, watching cheer for his game, and then my mom would takes all home where we'd go to like a.
Speaker 1: Pizza party, you know, all that kind of stuff. So I love football. I did love playing baseball.
Speaker 3: The funny thing about football was my dad was convinced that I would be too small to play back, which at that in that era I was, and I was a late growing up that I grew to be huge. But the funny part was like, I'm going to play basketball and not play football because I was too small, which is again that's the old basketball coach is mine.
Speaker 1: So when did you specialize in hoops?
Speaker 4: It was around probably like ten nine, ten years old. I kicked. I kicked all of them. I remember vividly having a conversation with Jason Otter, who I attested pretty much all my player development stuff. The only reason I'm able to I was able to have a college career at the level I did was because of Jason Otter. And he came out. We were living in Seattle, and we sat down in the living room and he looked at me and he said, how bad do you want this? He's a psycho, by the way, like complete. He's talking to a ten year old right now. He's like, how bad do you want this? I was just sitting there watching MTV on my what He's like, how bad do you want basketball? And I said I want really bad. He's like, well, I need you to do a couple of things for me. Number one, no more football, You're done. And I was like, okay. He's like, you're gonna need all year. You're too small. He's like, you're not fast, you can't jump. You're gonna need all the time you can get, so you have quit football. Said all right, and he goes, your dad told me you have a girlfriend. I said, uh, yeah, I mean yeah, and uh it's a girl from Issaquo, Washington. Maybe one of my first loves, Olivia would be upset if I said this, But Jason said, it's it's done, it's gotta go. No more girlfriend. I was once again ten years old, so I walked, am I allowed to wear on here? No? I walked my guess. I walked my happ yess to the garage and I sat on those like two steps right by the garage door, and I called her. But I called her and I said, look, it's not you, it's me, and I need all the time I can get. The old saying I I need to just focus on basketball. I don't have time for a relationship. So I killed it right there, ten years old, at ten at ten, and then I watched like all the Rocky movies that night and I was ready to roll in the morning.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. That's awesome.
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting because I I'm trying to think and I remember when I went all in on basketball. It wasn't It wasn't until like I was right before high school my dad did was I mean, obviously I stayed back. I held back in eighth grade and years.
Speaker 4: Did you reclass too? Yeah, I didn't know that I did a seventh grade.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like my first eighth grade year was such a fucking disaster because like they told me, I was holding back, right, So.
Speaker 1: You know, I literally like never went to school.
Speaker 4: So all your friends went to high school and you.
Speaker 3: This is the first so the first year, it wasn't the first year I was with. It's like a confluence of things, right, So this eighth grade year, I was a lot like my son, although he's still has he's still just now starting to grow, whereas some five feet tall eighth grade, you know, not a hair on my body, and you know, all my friends are growing and I'm already being told I'm staying back. You know, And in California, there is no real middle school sports.
Speaker 1: Like we didn't even have a gym. We all the middle school teams played outside.
Speaker 3: It was so bad, you know, Like I was my my favorite story, which is a terrible story, but it's still a favorite one, which is at the end of the first semester, I had awful grades.
Speaker 1: And the report cards used.
Speaker 3: To come in the mail and they had like the I don't know what that that that black ink paper on one side and then you peel it. Often than the grades be right there. So what we found out you could do is if you got your report card early, you could open up and you could just take a simple raser and erase the grades. And then and I know you've probably never seen when you're life, there is something called a typewriter, okay, and you could put that thin layer of paper back down, roll in the typewriter and type in. You put dots on the paper where you needed to type, and you could type in other grades. So like I wasn't greedy, I didn't put straight a's, but I definitely changed my grades to be way better. Right, So my first semester I probably put down I had like three a's, two b's in a.
Speaker 1: Seat, you know. So second semester I get in trouble. I did I did some I was. I kept going to the bathroom in the teacher's bathroom, and.
Speaker 3: Like, again, my son just graduated from this middle school, and the juxtaposition of bathrooms is like it was fucking gross. And so I kept like sneaking into the teacher's lounge bathroom, going to the bathroom, you know, and getting out of there. And I kept getting among other things, my grades were bad, my attitude wasn't good, and I was going and crap at wherever I wanted to crap, right, So they called my mom into the the vice principal's office and she's like, I don't understand.
Speaker 1: He's got good grades. He's got They're like, what are you talking about.
Speaker 3: He's like, well, he's you know, he's got he's got one C that we're you know, we talked about. But he's got all a's and b's. Missus Gottlieb, here's your son's grades. And she was like what And.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got the ass whooping of my life.
Speaker 3: But there was like a month there where they didn't know, maybe even two months there where they didn't know. And I was like, this is the best ever. This is I don't have to do shit. I'm doing school next year. So anyway, so I held back, and then the next year I played with a team called b ball in LA and named Sam Minor was the coach, and my dad would take me up to stay mister Minor's house, drop me off on Mondays and Wednesdays, I believe, and I would do my homework at his house with his family, have dinner, and then we'd go to basketball practice, and you know, I was the only white guy whatever.
Speaker 1: His family was incredibly kind.
Speaker 3: And then I think it was Wednesday nights, we'd play a game in an LA like city, like middle school level league, and I really started to like love it. I was still playing baseball, I played tennis, I played football as well, and so we got ready for high school and I was starting to get pretty good and my dad was like, okay, like you want to do this.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, we really want to do.
Speaker 3: This, and so we took out a I'm still searching for it because my mom is a bit of a pack ratch keeps everything, so it exists somewhere in her house, which is a like a red spiral notebook. And I'll never forget this because in order for me to go to Tustin High school. We had to rent an apartment in Testin, even though we lived in Orange. He was like ten minutes part. So we got this apartment. It's like a five minute walk to Tutin High School. And we're sitting there and he's like, write down your goals and I was like, what do you mean. He's like, write down what you want to accomplish. And I wrote down like everything I want to accomplish, and he's like, is that everything.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, that's what I want to do. Say, okay, turn the page. Now, let's write down how we want to do it.
Speaker 3: And you know, like from that moment forward, it just my whole brain kind of changed. And I was I was fifteen, and I was solely focused on becoming the best player in Orange County, which I became, becoming a high school American, which I became playing in a high major level, which I did. I wanted to play on TV for some reason, like everybody plays on TV. But again back then, that was the thing, like I want like dick by Taw to call one of my games. I want to have my number of times, which it was, and I wanted to play. I want to play in the NBA I want to play in a Final four playing in the NBA, and then I want to broadcast basketball, and I want to coach vision I and I have literally checked every box except for playing in the Final four and playing the NBA. So but it's interesting, right because a lot like Tyresee and again like I don't profess to have had the career Tyrese had and you don't profess to as well. But it's amazing to me on how I think people lose track of, like for me, regards whether I got this job or whether I I broadcast to the level that I've been on a broadcast, Like just the fact that I found that motivation that got me to college, that made me lifelong friends, Why are you talking about West Virginia right? Like Oklahoma State is still that's my place, that's my heart. You know, changed my life. And I think that we do lose track of what the process of deciding you want something does for, especially for young guys, because we're all kind of scattered and we all need purpose and focus and and you learned so much along the way, right, you know, learned so much along the way. So wait, you were in Seattle. Take me to where you lived before you got to Kakanna.
Speaker 4: So I was born in Wisconsin. We moved to North Augusta, South Carolina. My dad worked for Kimberly Clark. Before I say this preface by not saying he's not in the military, because it kind of sounds like we bounced around like he was North Augusta, South Carolina. Then we moved to Marinet, just on the border of the up in Wisconsin. And uh, these each stint is like a few years, you know, a handful, never never anywhere for more than five except for Wisconsin, Marinette, you know, the Fox Cities again, and then out to Seattle. We you know, we did two and a half years in Seattle, and then that was around what was it, fifth through seventh grade, Yeah, fifth through seventh grade in Seattle, and then I did seventh grade again, which is when I was you know, held back seventh grade again when I got back to Wisconsin, which was a weird transition for a kid at that age, as you as you know. And then I stayed from you know, seventh grade all the way through my high school career here in Wisconsin, then West Virginia to Vegas, back to West Virginia. Now to Wisconsin, so traveled a little bit at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how are you making friends?
Speaker 4: Probably good? Probably too good. When I was young and in school, because I think that was where my main focus was and not in school, we had a sounds like we had a very similar school experience. I didn't have a typewriter ever, and by the time I was in college, I had chat GPT, which was it's a little bit more efficient than a typewriter. They can talk to you. Uh So we definitely had a similar experience. But I was good at making friends.
Speaker 1: And here's a honest question, okay, and like we deal with this. We're gonna deal with this.
Speaker 3: With our players. You and I talked about chat GPT. Okay, do you know anybody anybody? I know one person, unequivocally I know who did who never ever cheated ever?
Speaker 1: Do you know anybody who never cheated.
Speaker 4: For my teammates in the high school or in college. I'd like to plead the fifth but no, no, I don't. I don't. It's crazy, right, well, no, hold on, there's varying degrees, right, so great degrees like like out and now cheating. Yeah, yeah, if you are copying and pasting an entire thing from chat GPT into a paper and submitting it. That's cheating, that's wrong. But like Olivia would get upset. What I'm serious. Olivia would get upset because if I would talk to chat GPT about this book that I definitely did not read, and I had a day to turn a paper in, so I'd ask you, like, give me the cliff Notes. Now, let's talk about how it applies to the real world now, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: And then our toss it does that. I had no idea.
Speaker 4: Oh man, I don't think you really realized how the power of this thing.
Speaker 3: No, I mean I realized it, but don't realize it right Like we had We literally had a book that you had to buy called cliff Notes, and I always just found it stupid, Like, wait, so I don't read a book, but I have to read a book about a book.
Speaker 1: I didn't read. Like that, that doesn't just tell me what it's about.
Speaker 4: Glypt Notes was a physical book, yes, before it was a website.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was a yellow book.
Speaker 4: Wow, typewriters, cliff Notes was a book. I'm learning.
Speaker 1: We had maps too.
Speaker 3: We have these physical things you'd open up called a map, I mean and that's the great the greatest, the greatest map ever was called a What the fuck is that called?
Speaker 1: It's in LA.
Speaker 3: It's uh that people in southern California had, which were amazing, that every physically had. Now like there's no business for It's like phone books, Like did you ever have to use a phone book?
Speaker 4: I've seen a phone book? And I've seen uh, map Quest staple all the papers together.
Speaker 1: No, not before map Quest was I know?
Speaker 4: And then I've seen the garment, the first GPS is I've seen the solo GPS that you did a suction cup to the to the to the windshield. But yes, I've seen a notebook.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, So you're ten and you decide I'm all in. When you're back in Wisconsin, you're getting ready for high school.
Speaker 1: You're a freshman. How big are you?
Speaker 4: Well, hold back freshman? I was probably five ten, about nine?
Speaker 1: Okay, And did you play varsity your freshman year?
Speaker 4: I did? Yep, yep. Start Like what's that?
Speaker 1: What were you like as a player your freshman year?
Speaker 4: Freshman year? I was terrified, completely, you know, shell shocked and like not sure if I could do it. I think I remember our first game, our first game. Ever, we played down in Milwaukee, I believe, and just didn't play well, you know, had the whole thought process of like I'm not good enough to do this, like I'm not at this level, And spent kind of the whole freshman year just figuring it out, like single digit average score, decent distributor, but young, making a lot of dumb mistakes. And I just had a coach who was like, you know, like mckill up with with Curry, like just let them let him figure it out, right, instead of the natural instinct of the coaches just like get them out of the game. So coach Shallow was amazing for me at Takana. But that was my freshman year just figuring it out. And then sophomore year is when when we hit a little bit of a launch pad there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So my freshman year I played for a guy named Tom McCluskey Penn State, and they were coming off of state championship and the best player was a guy named David Bielstein, who was a tremendous, tremendous high school player. And so when I came aboard, they still had like three guys and they were all perimeter players from the state championship team, but they were all kind of secondary tertiary Optionsjenshymore was our best player. He was going to TCU. But the first game, we're getting ready to play in the Tribuco Hills Tournament, and I like, to.
Speaker 1: This day, I will die on this hill.
Speaker 3: And mccluskoll watched this at some point he just retired from teaching and coaching.
Speaker 1: That he should have.
Speaker 3: Played me more that year, just because not just it would have helped me in the future, but I think I could have helped. We lost, like in the semi finals of I think we lost to camer Murray and Adam Jacobson Seem and Glendora we lost to anyway. But my first game, I remember, I was I played varsity and JV all summer and was we because you know, I didn't know anybody, and I transferred into the school. And at that time most public schools in California, guys didn't really transfer in.
Speaker 1: Maybe for football they did, but not for basketball.
Speaker 3: You either went to Modern Day if you're really good, or maybe one of the other private schools otherwise, or you just sucked it up and went to your high school. So I didn't know a soul. Most of those guys, they weren't really in the AAU world, which I was, and so I didn't grow up playing with any of these guys, didn't know anybody. So I was kind of toggling between both. And I'll never forget our we played. We played in the Tribuca Hills Tournament, and I think we might have played Tribuca the first night. I can't remember, but I just remember like we're getting two things. One I got my jersey the day of the game, which was awesome, and I remember getting it and going back to that same apartment which I talked about and laying it on the bed and just like looking at it and freaking the fuck out. And it was terrible number number thirty one, which is my brother's number, which is just I have I still I have to have him on the pod to explain why he chose thirty one, terrible basketball number. But it was thirty one, and I'm like staring at it and putting it on and looking in the mirror and trying to flex my muscles. I'm like five nine buck twenty right. And and then I come back to the gym before getting ready to get on the bus and they were like, hey, I think you're starting tonight, Like what And what had happened was the day before the night before they we had two guys arrested and our two starting wings were arrested. They were at a party and it got broken up and they like refused to leave, like stupid shit, got mouthed with a cop, got thrown into the clink.
Speaker 1: And so we go.
Speaker 3: We play in this tournament, and I'm fucking tight, right, And we had a guy named Derrick Roach, and we basically ran every play for Derreck Roach, and we were you know, they were suspended the first two tournaments. And so I played a ton and you know, kind of like a little bit like college, like kind of scared to shoot, just run the team whatever.
Speaker 1: And every time we take the court, our fans would be.
Speaker 3: Like free more Reice, Free more Reese because he was in jail.
Speaker 1: It was amazing.
Speaker 3: It was at that moment that I learned about, you know, always stay ready, to be ready, you know, and and uh, and then I played mostly JV and that was really good for me because otherwise I never would have looked at the basket with varsity, you know, And in JV, I just tried to fucking score every time I got the ball, which I needed because with my dad's AU teams, he always had such good talent that I didn't really need to do shit except for the team because he was like kind of old school, traditional point guard type coach. So, uh yeah, that's that's that's fascinating. So when did it take off? When did you sort of like when did it blow up?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean it was it was gradual and it was kind of twofold. When you talk about takeoff, Like my sophomore year, I definitely took a step. And the big thing was is like during my development. I believe it was between my freshman and sophomore year during an AAU event. We were playing a Chicago team and a guy that I still know to this day. His name is Scott and he worked for Ball's Life. Happened to be watching somebody else. He was covering just Chicago high school basketball with his camera and Ball's Life was small, and anyways, he filmed the game and I knew he was there. I wasn't stupid. I saw it, and I you know, I did a little bit more than I probably needed to on most plays, just with the handle and you know, passing and just the extra shit. Right. I did it and I had fun doing it. Didn't think anything would come out of it. And then that video went out and it did really well, and then videos just followed behind and that now you know, it kind of became every tournament there was more and more cameras over time popped up this whole, this whole movement of like mixtape basketball was growing as I was just kind of hitting my stride. This was like during the Austin Rivers, Like I think I've watched Austin Rivers Ball's life or Whop mixtape actually sorry, his who mixtape probably a thousand times, just like every other kid my age. So that culture was building and I was hitting my stride. So that's when the social media side of stuff really started to take off. But from the on the court stuff, like I said in the beginning, I didn't really take a step until I went to Jason Otter. Like I could handle the ball, stationary dribbling, I could do all that stuff. I couldn't do any sort of game application stuff until I met Jason. Like that's just what it was. And I think I met him when I was ten or eleven. But it took and he told me, he was like, it is gonna take years for you to get to a point where you even got a shot at this right. So that was kind of the playing.
Speaker 1: Did you play a lot of pickup?
Speaker 4: Uh? Yeah. My dad in Seattle would drop me off at a twenty four hour fitness and say I'll see you at eight and it was like, you know, three o'clock. So and he was like playing with all the older guys. At the time, I was in middle school.
Speaker 1: So here's good, dude. You know, underwear, but the air there, the flow is fucking good.
Speaker 4: So in middle school I spent half my time of twenty four hours. If I was at twenty four our fitness for five hours, two and a half was walking around the gym, probably trying to flirt with girls that were way too old for me. The other half was in the gym playing against guys who were also way too old for me to be playing with and they would bust my ass. So that was my That was.
Speaker 1: My world was. We had a place called Raquetball World. Rocket.
Speaker 3: Here's what's amazing about Rackball World. There were only two locations. One was in Santa Ana, one was in Fullerton, My best friend growing up was Miles Simon. Miles grew up playing at the Fullerton One. I grew up playing at the sant Ana One. Literally like ships, we were friends. We're like we became friends like fifth grade we started playing together. Sixth grade we started like sleepovers and everything whenever. And I think, like I can count on one hand how many times I went to his rackball world. I don't think he ever went to mine. And the courts were side. We played sideways, and it might have been four on four. And I was just that fucking annoying little kid that would just sit up there and try and play ball. And then my dad would be playing racktball and I go downstairs and watch him, and I go to the stack bar or whatever. I bullshit around and come back and play. It was kind of same thing, same thing.
Speaker 2: How do we?
Speaker 1: How do we get?
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess twenty four now, one of the twenty four is great because there's a gym everywhere with those.
Speaker 1: Things and there's always some level of basketball in it.
Speaker 3: But twenty four is bad because I think it's killed any sort of outside playground basketball, Like it just doesn't happen anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it doesn't. I was blessed. My grandpa has a full court in his backyard, like at one point, it's right down the street and Kakano, I'll take you over to see it. It's really cool. And yeah, I played out there all the time when I was when I was really young. But yeah, the whole like playground culture is gone, which is sad because that was like, you know, also parallel to the end one culture in the street ball and all that was huge for the game of basketball. Moved it forward. But yeah, definitely definitely killed it, you know, but it's better twenty four fitnesses, a real gym with real hardwood, with an ac like you know, it's better in some ways. You know, playing outside is cooler. But yeah, my dad would just drop me off, kick me out of the car and say see you, you know, for dinner, and we.
Speaker 1: Did that at Mile Square Park as well.
Speaker 3: Or my dad would drop me off, helped me get in the first game, and then you give me five bucks. And there's something called a payphone, and if you really needed him, you could call collect and then he wouldn't accept and then they call you back at that number or whatever, or they come get you. But for the most part, they never came in. I don't remember ever getting picked up early. I remember wasting a lot of saturdays just sitting around there waiting for a game whatever, and no phone, right, like, no phone, just occupying yourself, just shooting hoops or going and hopping in hopping in games. Last thing, and then we'll I want to get to next one. We'll get to your college career, and then we'll get to coaching. But if you had a kid getting ready for high school, Yeah, you get a kid get ready for high school, how do you balance, Like we're in getting into August, this will drop in August. You have August, and most high school start end of August early September. Obviously we know when the season gets going. How would you balance workouts now with pickup ball now as you're getting ready for a high school season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a it's a great question. I think it depends on like the agent level obviously of the kid, but from like a general standpoint, kids don't play enough. I think this conversation has been had a number of times. But I do also think, like you know, getting ten to play pickup is tough in some small towns. It's just a fact, like, especially nowadays with a million other options of freaking Fortnite college football video games, girls, Like, there's a lot of other options for these guys, and getting ten to play pick up at a high level is tough. So what I've really started to do now and what I would suggest that high school kids, cause you might not be able to find ten, you can probably find two or three or four and play small sided one on one games. And I was just talking to a trainer who trains Hyjerome and Max Shrews and some guys in Chicago, and that's what they do, is like, we'll do a ton of skill and this is what we're doing with our groups here at Green Bay is like a ton of skill work. Early, we'll do game application on top of that skill, and then at the end for fifteen to twenty minutes, like you know, a third of your workout should be live reads because like everybody knows a guy who can do drills at a different level than everybody else. He doesn't miss, it's clean, it's crisp, he's got rhythm, and then you throw a body in front of him and he loses his damn mind because he's just not making those live reeds enough and he doesn't have any sort of creativity. He has the rigidity of skill development and drill work and that's it. And that's great if that's what you're trying to do. But we're trying to play basketball, so I would say you threw a number on it just for fun. Thirty percent of your workout should be live reps against somebody whoever you can get to just play dummy d You know, your younger brother hears ten bucks guard me at the end of this workout and rebound the rest like that's huge because kids nowadays do so many drills. Because here's the great thing about drills. Nobody freaking wins or loses a drill and it doesn't hurt as bad. But if you play one egos getting bruised. Somebody says and they hate it. I hated it. There's definitely points, you know where I hated that, that confrontation and competition. But it's just like any other muscle. If you if you flex it enough, by the time you get in the game, you're not as afraid of losing as the guy across from you, and that gives you ample more opportunity to win. This game or win the matchup or whatever. But you got to play. You have to play.
Speaker 3: That's it for for for part one. Jordan McCabe also known as J five. Now are we not doing the J five thing anymore? I mean, do we want to put that to bed? Do you want to continue?
Speaker 4: I think we put it to bed. J five was definitely the playing name I do like Coach Archibald calls me Mac, and my grandpa was his nickname was Mac. So if I'm going to have a nickname, coach Mack is fine, or just Jordan works as well.
Speaker 1: You don't want to be called J five at all.
Speaker 4: No, No, it's like a player tag, you know.
Speaker 3: I know, but there's still like a rep to it, kind of cool, Like if I had some shit like that, I would I would Yeah.
Speaker 4: All right, I mean you might be right, we can we can keep this.
Speaker 3: Only this is a lot like Eric Sanders, whose nickname is eighth grade, right, like it's one of the great nicknames of all time.
Speaker 1: He's like, yeah, I don't be eighth grade anymore.
Speaker 3: Like, bro, if I had a nickname as good as eighth grade, why would I didch eighth grade?
Speaker 4: We talked about transitioning in the beginning of the show. Everybody's got a transition, right.
Speaker 1: We did, we did.
Speaker 3: It's so it Honestly, the super weird thing is being called coach all the time. And as you know, Arch has a tendency to say the word coach a lot, like I think he'd leave the country a coach. Coach, coach, coach that.
Speaker 1: Was that was really good coach, which I was really.
Speaker 3: Good coach, I dude, I just that's a weird That's a weird transition for me.
Speaker 4: I just imagine being twenty five and a twenty three year old COVID senior having to call you coach, which was my position last year. That's a weird one. That feels really weird. No matter how you slice it, it's weird. Weird.
Speaker 3: That is weird and weird has been a big talking point this week. All right, that's it for me and Jordan McKay Part one. We'll do obviously complete kind of his story and more. Yaki Yak on hoops throughout the year. Make sure you follow him on Instagram, but most of you already followed him on Instagram in the meantime, reminded the Doug Gottlieb Show airs daily three to five eastern twelve two Pacific on iHeartRadio, Foxsports Radio dot Com. There's a podcast for that as well, and for this edition, I'm Doug Gotlieb.
Speaker 1: He's Jordan McKay. This is all bo