Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 3: These episodes are based on. These are our stories.
Speaker 4: Done done, Happy New Year, and thanks for listening to That's Messed Up an svupod.
Speaker 3: I am Lisa Trigger.
Speaker 1: And I am Kara Klank. Oh my god, Lisa, we did it. We are done with twenty twenty, the worst year of all time, and I'm so excited for what twenty twenty one is going to bring me too.
Speaker 2: I actually have something to bring up that I've learned, and I'm kind of shy and you probably know it, so I'm pissed already.
Speaker 3: But you know, forensics means.
Speaker 2: That like dead people and study of science, and then I just learned that it also means.
Speaker 3: Oh I just heard that yesterday on a podcast. How did you?
Speaker 2: That's so crazy because our mutual friend posted like an old sweatshirt from her high school and was like, killed it in forensics team, So I was like what and then it's debate it has nothing.
Speaker 3: I don't understand why I've been what the fuck? Wow?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just heard that on another podcast, which by the way, not to plug other podcasts that are not exactly right, but I've been listening to the most fascinating podcast called Chameleon about the Hollywood con Queen. It is wow, it is so good. And there is a part in it where they talk about somebody being on a forensics team, and I kind of thought the same thing. I was like, oh, forensics must mean debate, but I didn't know, Lisa, So you and I get smarter in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Also, there is an SVU episode named Chameleon, so that ties in. And then also, I just watched a video on the Internet and it was like a chameleon climbing different colored pencils, and every colored pencil it touched it turned into that color.
Speaker 3: And maybe our listeners would like to look at that.
Speaker 1: So somebody wrote to us on t and was like, would you guys rather be a dead body or find the body?
Speaker 3: And I was like, obviously find the body.
Speaker 1: I need a line, like I do not want to be just like lying in front of Timptumertuny with my chest cut open. I'll take it, but my preference is a line, you know what I mean. I'm just hoping to one day audition, Lisa, you've auditioned.
Speaker 2: I have auditioned, and I bombed so bad it's really upsetting.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I got to go to Chelsea Peer's.
Speaker 2: I had an SV auditioned to be a process server and I had one line where I go Lieutenant Olivia Benson and then I hand over a piece of paper on the steps of the courtroom.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 2: And I go into the audition room and I do it and they said, you're smiling too much.
Speaker 3: You need to stop smiling.
Speaker 1: So because you were just like gagged me talking to an invisible Olivia Benson in this audition, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Was just thrilled all the signage around the building just being there.
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, I was just like too happy.
Speaker 2: And They're like, yeah, this is just a job, like you serve papers every day. You really aren't this excited, so can you just do it again? And when I did it again, I accidentally handed over the paperwork before I said Lieutenant Olivia Benson, and the casting director just went, Okay, you gotta go, and then I had to just leave sadly. And then I went and ate my Middle Eastern food with a friend. But I was so sad it just wasn't your time. It wasn't your time.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I also had another bad audition for something.
Speaker 2: I auditioned for Broad City and I had to say at a Mammy, but I kept saying empanadas. And after every take they're like, can you just please say at a mammy? And I'd be like, oh, absolutely, and then I kept saying empanadas and then they asked me to leave.
Speaker 1: Hey, I auditioned and got apart on on Broad City, which was cut.
Speaker 3: So you know, we all have our fun stories. Do you have any bad audition stories?
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Well, on my way to the Broad City audition, I completely sprained my ankle. I dragged myself into the audition like I was like, and there were basically like tear muscaret tears running down my face and that.
Speaker 3: They were like, are you okay?
Speaker 1: I was like, I just kind of I tried to wear wedges to like look cute, and my ankle just fully rolled on my way there. Like people rushed to me on the ground they were like, are you okay?
Speaker 2: I went down hard. It was like me at a wedding, Lisa, that's a lesson though, don't wear wedges.
Speaker 1: Oh, I threw them away. Afterwards, I was just like, these I can never wear again. It was like the worst spring.
Speaker 2: I didn't know wedges were disgusting, and then I was watched. Yeah, I've learned recently you can't wear wedges. It's like a big fashion No.
Speaker 3: No, oh, really they were cute. I mean they were cute.
Speaker 2: I see people wear them in They well because on Beverly Hills Housewives Lisavander pump out of pink diamonds and wedges party and Erica Girardi Jane in legal trouble right now, the head stylist was like wedges and was appalled.
Speaker 1: So that's when I learned. Well, there was wedges only in like twenty fourteen, So I mean, I feel like I was okay back then, but you're right. I'm off the wedge train. I'm too tall for wedges. I'm five nine. I don't need to be taller.
Speaker 3: I do have one more bad audition. I'd like to say.
Speaker 2: I was like bombing so bad that in the middle of it, I go, could we just please stop? I want to leave, like this is not going well, and she goes, no, please finish. I'm like, please, I don't want to finish, and they made me finish, and then when I walked outside Lena Hall Broadways, Lena Hall was going in after me. So she had like just been nominated for a Tony for a headwig and I had to It was just I mean, but it.
Speaker 1: Was really humili I always loved doing commercial auditions where a famous person is right next to me.
Speaker 3: I'm like, why am I here?
Speaker 1: Like You're obviously going to give it to this famous person who has like facial recognition, but okay.
Speaker 2: They might be more expensive. I don't know is everyone relating to our audition chats?
Speaker 3: So today's episode is Babes.
Speaker 1: It's season ten, episode six, so it's it's pre Stabler departure. It's a really good one. I think this episode is so iconic. I'm also very obsessed with the story that it's based on.
Speaker 2: We record our intros after we record the crime and recap of the episode, can like listen to it and then do a fun little intro. And I do need to do a disclaimer. I am very judgmental and I don't need anyone coming for me. I acknowledge it. I am very anti pregnancy and anti parenthood. I am projecting my own stuff onto people and I would just like to go on the record and say, do not come for me.
Speaker 1: You're just expressing your desire to be child free in a very passionate way, and we just don't want anyone to think that you're judging their choices because you're speaking for yourself.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and I'm speaking and you are friends with me who has a child. Me is that you repeatedly refer to a parenthood as a nightmare. So I totally am not offended by that. I just because I love being a parent. I'm actually pregnant, I'm having another baby, so I am I'm getting on the nightmare roller coaster another time.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: What an announcement, that's a what is it an exclusive?
Speaker 3: An exclusive? You are to hear first? Are messed up?
Speaker 1: Fan?
Speaker 2: I'm excited for Rosie to have a baby to beat down.
Speaker 1: And she's going to be such a little boss. It's going to be a problem.
Speaker 2: It's going to be really really cute. Yeah, you've always wanted to be a parent, I.
Speaker 1: Feel like yeah, And so we both have totally different journeys and so we're not trying to project that onto the girls. In this episode. However, they make some bad choices. Let's just say that. Let's just say they make some bad choices. I think we're a lout to call that out. So what should we just get going? Let's get to the episode. This is Babes and Joy, all right, Let's jump into Babes iconic episode based on a case that is very dear to me and Lisa, which we'll get into later. But this episode starts this is one of those episodes that truly takes like seven left turns, like it's just so crazy, Like it starts out with some amazing acting from a couple of extras who are two people on a date, and then there's two waiters that are just waiting for them to get be done with their fucking date. And there's all these jokes like he's gonna stiff us harder than he stiffs her, And the only thing flaming here is the major d like just all these like SVU style jokes, and they're.
Speaker 2: The worst couple. They're the worst couple. There are the people where the chairs are up, the servers are waiting. They want to go the fuck home, and these guys just won't go just have sex.
Speaker 3: Why would you dessert when you can go fuck exactly.
Speaker 1: So maybe they did the Dan Savage thing and they had sex before their meal, but listen, so essentially they're sitting there having dinner. They're talking about having Flambay for dessert. Q. A human man stumbling through the empty streets of New York, fully on fire.
Speaker 3: It's one of these insane things that like, you're like, only.
Speaker 1: In New York moments do happen in New York, but that is truly only on SVUS New York.
Speaker 3: Yeah, also only on SVU.
Speaker 2: We're not even two minutes into a show and there's a man fully on fire running through the streets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Melinda Warner shows up. She kind of explains what's going on. This guy was castrated, stabbed, then set on fire. Whoever did this wanted the guy to suffer. She gets a little equip where she's like follow the bloody brick road, you know, she gets, uh, they want to figure out where this guy came from. And then after the credits were in the Emmy's office where we're getting some really gross, gross shots of stab wounds, which I would say that they don't usually show stuff that graphic, but it was pretty nasty.
Speaker 3: And then one of the most horrific things I've ever seen on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the most horrific things I've ever seen on the show, which is Melinda Warner, the medical examiner, rehydrates a torched finger so she, like Lisa, likes to give credit to the Foley artists in a lot of these episodes, like whoever was doing that? It's like this disgusting sound while she puts a puts a syringe into a finger to like fill it with water so that she can get a uh, and it.
Speaker 3: Looks like a thought.
Speaker 2: It looks like Mitch McConnell's hand, honestly, or like a mummy when they unravel up, Emmy, that's what the thumb looks like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a really gross and they are able to get a fingerprint. And the victim is named Josh Gally, who they assume is homeless based on like a lot of stuff that's going on. He was off the charts for alcohol and crack. He seemed to have been living on the streets. So then we're at his house actually because he's not actually like like a fully homeless person. He has a home and we're talking to his father, Tom Gally, played by Michael Battluco, who you might.
Speaker 3: Know from the Practice.
Speaker 1: He is a pretty well known actor and I did meet him on a subway platform in New York one time. He came up and asked me like directions or something, and I told him and then I said, Hey, does anyone ever tell you that you look like that guy from the Practice? And he was like, they do because I am him, and I was like, oh wow, I yeah. And then we got on the same subway car and I was like, for sure our friendship is going to flourish from here. He did not wasn't interested in talking once we got on the train.
Speaker 2: The Practice I remember watching as a child, and I think that kind of sparked me. I love for like procedural dramas. It taught me what suspense was and twists, and I remember really being inspired by that show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, The Practice was a really good one.
Speaker 3: Star studdied Marla Sokoloff from Full House Fame. Yeah, a lot of people that you're like, where did you go?
Speaker 1: You know, there's a lot of Practice people that what happened to them? So we learned that Josh was like this great football player and everything was fine, and then he developed schizophrenia.
Speaker 2: One of my biggest fears, because you develop it in your twenties or your thirties, or maybe you do acid one time and then suddenly you're schizophrenic.
Speaker 3: Like it's really fucking scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a whole fun life and then suddenly you think aliens are chasing you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And his dad said he was a super sweet guy and he left it all on the field. And then just real quick side note, Stabler goes, oh, yeah, we used to play his team when I was in high school at Bayside, And I'm like, I know that Saved by the Bell happens in California and this is New York, but I just want to believe for two seconds that Stabler was like beat up up kids at the Max, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Maloney's knowledge of schools in New York A greater area is expert level.
Speaker 1: It's going to come in to play in another few minutes. So it turns out that Joshua was the schizophrenic. You know, meds weren't working, he turned to drugs, and that the only enemies he had in his life were the street cleaners, which are people who beat up homeless people and videotape it, and they basically see these videos of people like beating the shit out of homeless people. It's really awful. I don't know why anyone would do that or take videos of it. But Munch talks about how DV and C is taking over the internet and says, grandmas are emailing around two girls one cup, tagging it lol.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I don't think.
Speaker 1: They are, Munch. I don't think anyone got two girls one cup from their grandma. But please write in if that's how you found two girls one cup. Anyway, they set up this fake trap to catch the street cleaners. This is all kind of a red herring. Munch is ranting through the streets acting like you know, basically saying all the stuff he regularly says, but saying it in like a dirty jacket. And they arrest these two perpetrators, like who a girl and a guy.
Speaker 3: They look like they.
Speaker 2: Would love good Charlotte, Like that's the vibe, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And they're just like talking about how they beat up homeless people because a homeless guy killed her dad. It's this whole like red herring thing, and it kind of just ends up that they're not the ones who did it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Also, what's so weird is their alibi is that they were at a nightclub at the gans Of hotel, and it's like, there's no way they would have let.
Speaker 1: You in yet they don't look like Gangs of Wort hotel people in any way.
Speaker 3: But you know, who knows. But they had the photos they had about New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have the photos that got paid through on a BlackBerry, which really warmed my heart because you know, I love a time stay.
Speaker 3: Did you have a barry Berry? Oh? Hell yeah, you were BlackBerry. I was clicking and clacking.
Speaker 1: I could type on it under my desk like without be not like in school, but like at work or something. I could like type an email without looking at it like I was.
Speaker 3: I always read that little ball. For sure. I didn't have a BlackBerry, but my friend did. But I was jealous of that ball.
Speaker 1: Love the ball. Love BlackBerry Messenger was like original, like was kind of like texting. I mean texting was a thing, but BBM you could like see if someone read your message. It was like much more. It was like quick. It was the best.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, the rumor is that Kim Kardashian still has a BlackBerry for texting and then an iPhone for photos.
Speaker 3: Just so just to.
Speaker 1: Rumor, I love that she cannot adapt. She cannot use touchscreen. Okay, so now we're back at the Emmy's office. It's one of those things where like, oh, where's the story going. Now, guess what. Tamaratuni has something for you. So she has found some electric match or something that was used to like this man on fire. It was found at the crime scene and it is engraved with BHHS, which, as Lisa has mentioned, Stabler immediately knows is Blessed Hard High School because he has an.
Speaker 3: Encyclopedic knowledge for Catholic schools.
Speaker 1: In the New York area. So they show up at the school and they immediately meet Max, who is played by Jesse McCartney, actor turned singer turned actor, actor turned singer turned actor.
Speaker 3: I think he's done a Beautiful Soul.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has a song called Beautiful Soul.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's how.
Speaker 1: It goes hand to hilt, you know, it's like one of those. And he runs a chastity club. Okay, and of course at the hottest guy at the Catholic school is going to be the head of the virgin club.
Speaker 2: And you know those virgin clubs never work. I have a friend, our feminist friend. I don't know, well, we're all feminists, but I have a friend that at twelve, she was forced to sign a chastity thing and refused, and all these other girls did, and then after they got out of high school, she was.
Speaker 3: The only virgin left.
Speaker 2: All the girls that signed the chastity thing ended up fucking in high school and she just wasn't about that vibe. So I guess we all know that the contracts don't work, but I thought i'd add that anecdote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this episode's about to prove the exact same thing. So they find this guy who like run, I don't know, he's in like the science club or something. It's Alec Bernardi. They questioned him. He's got a fully like burnt mangled hand, so he's clearly a suspect in possibly setting this.
Speaker 2: And he does my favorite thing where it's like when someone sees a cop and then suddenly starts being shifty and running around.
Speaker 3: Ye can bring their books and trying to get the hell out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, act natural. If the cops are trying, you gotta act chill. You can't start running.
Speaker 1: I know he's bad. I mean, we'll get it, We're gonna get to it. But Alec Bernardi does nothing to help himself the entire time of this episode. So at the top of that two, Benson his back. Thank god, I thought this was going to be a Benson free episode. Turns out she was just at a three day battered women's conference, which listen, I think, twelve years later, we're not saying that anymore. But yeah, she's back from the twelve the Batterlewoman conference and the coffee was bad. And then in March's Debbie masar into the precinct.
Speaker 2: I mean I would the first time I saw this episode, I bet I gasped. I mean, to see Debbie in all her glory is pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: She has very striking eyes, like her eyes are so so clear blue, and like she's just really you know, aggressive, that New York kind of She's like Madma's best friend. Yeah, she's very love her iconic. Her body is sick and I'm yeah.
Speaker 2: I follow her on Instagram for a while and she has a really hot chef husband.
Speaker 3: Oh that's fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I wrote a little bit on the show Younger, so I was happy that she got to I think she said like one thing I wrote. Anyway, I didn't know that. Yeah, I did punch up on the first season.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you wouldn't tell me that, considering it's a Darren Star production.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm I'm sorry. I figured I mentioned it to you. Okay, we're gonna have to talk about this on Looking at your face, you seem very betrayed.
Speaker 2: Well because outside of SVU, I mean, all my favorite shows are s SVU, Sex and The City Simpsons. They're all SA's six feet under Seinfeld. What the fuck? All the best shows are with essays. Okay, so acknowledge Rosie. Oh, I'm so sorry. If you're hearing little squawks. If you're hearing little squawks, that is my daughter. I am at home. It is a pandemic. I'm sorry. I wasn't able to get to my normal studio space.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I'm a teen mom, just like you're gonna find out pretty soon in this episode. So she's out there and she's pissed that we won't let her come on and talk because she loves us for you.
Speaker 3: But anyway, if you hear her, if that's her.
Speaker 1: So okay. So Debbie Mazar runs in. She wants to see Alex. She's his mother.
Speaker 3: She's like, he's just a cake.
Speaker 1: You gotta let me see him. But he's over sixteen, so they're questioning him and she's like, he's probably scared to death. Cut to Alec, not scared at all, confessing to this entire crime. Proud as hell. He acts like it's an honor killing. Nothing that he really describes me sense, Like he's like, I just got the formalde hyde and the stuff to burn him to scare him.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, there's other ways to scare someone. Make a loud noise, no, throw gasoline on him.
Speaker 1: Then he's like, I got this scalpel and then he attacked me and he reached for the scalpel, so I just started stabbing him. And it's like okay, but in his dick like it just seemed really weird, like the way he was trying to make excuses for everything that happened, because and he said he.
Speaker 2: Would do it again, which is a perfect thing to say to police officers an interrogation if you want.
Speaker 3: To go to jail.
Speaker 1: Well, then what he also said was I did what my dad would have done. And it's like, where's your dad. He's not around anymore. Okay, So like why are you emulating a man who abandoned your family? Oh?
Speaker 3: Did he just abandon He's not dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, they said he's not around anymore, Like he walked out, and it's like, I gotta do what my deadbeat dad would do, you know. So basically it comes out that he went to go attack Josh or rough him up or whatever because he thinks Josh raped his sister Tina and got her pregnant. Cut to Tina sitting with Debbie Masar and she's like, nobody raped me. And then Benson fully outs her for being pregnant, and Debbie maysa is like what baby?
Speaker 3: What baby?
Speaker 1: And then she like unzips her you know, sweat her hoodie and she's got like a three month pregnant stomach.
Speaker 3: How did Benson know that she was pregnant.
Speaker 1: Because Alec Bernardi said, this guy raped my sister and got her pregnant.
Speaker 3: Gotta got it.
Speaker 1: So Tina says the sex was consensual. She admits to get wanting to get pregnant on purpose, like Josh wanted to get a condom, and she said, not that she didn't want it. So then we cut to this montage of all these girls, these four girls that are friends with Tina be talking.
Speaker 2: People usually like a movie montage where people put on different outfits, you know, but this montage of teen mothers is better.
Speaker 3: Yea, I would just like saying this is the top montage.
Speaker 1: So we get this montage of these girls being like, isn't it amazing We're all going to be young teen moms together. This isn't about the fathers. This is about us, like we're gonna have so much fun. And then like there's varying degrees of parental reaction, like one dad's just in the back crossing his arms like you dumb bitch, and like she's like, I guess I'll just go on welfare because her dad has a look on his face like you're not getting a dime from me. And I think all these parents are thinking fuck, Catholic school did not work. And it doesn't.
Speaker 3: So then one.
Speaker 1: Of the girls actually makes a reference to Bristol Pale and is like that vice president lady's daughter got married, it's got pregnant. Like it's like, yeah, she's not the vice president and Bristol pale and is not a role model. So and then we get to the ring leader, who is Fidelia.
Speaker 2: Also, Bristol is a dumb name. I'm sorry, Yeah, what does that even mean? Is it a part of a gun? I don't get what that name is.
Speaker 1: I don't know what Bristol means. It's always like a place to me because there's a Bristol, Connecticut there. I don't know.
Speaker 3: So Fidelia Vidal is the.
Speaker 1: Ring leader who got her better name, Yeah better Vadilia Vidal is a dope name. She's like, she's just like, oh my god, isn't it awesome? We're going to be the hottest MILFs on the block. We're blah blah blah, Like she's very into this, and we you know, we found out that she has the one that kind of got pregnant first and gave all these girls this idea. So then Benson gives Fidelia kind of like a harsh reality.
Speaker 2: Well, the first Fidelia is being sassy team pregnant belly, which looks so real and disgusting. And then I have a phobia. I have a phobia. I don't even touch my sister's pregnant belly. It just really sickens me.
Speaker 3: But I like babies.
Speaker 2: I just have a phobia. So she's also like, oh, are you jealous Benson. Well, she doesn't say Benson. She's like, you're old. You wish you were as hot as me and had a baby, wish you had Like truly, I've never seen anyone taught Benson like this, Like not even the most hardened rapist murderers have ever mouthed off to Benson like Fidelia has.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So she's mouthing off to Benson being crazy and then Benson's like claps back and is like, actually, your kid could have a host of problems from dyslexia to cerebral palsy, like have you thought of any of these things? And the dead You're not gonna go to cot, like she goes, your dreams are dead, like your life is fucking over. That's like essentially what she tells her. So the dad is like, stop bullying my baby or whatever. The dad is weirdly like on her side, like she did nothing wrong in this situation. And then Max shows up. Max's remember Jesse McCartney, and the head of the Abstinence Club shows up hugs her as like is it true, like and it's like, meanwhile, she's got this massive pregnant belly. Did you not notice your girlfriend and your Christian girl Catholic girlfriend was getting exponentially fatter every week? Like it's just crazy that he didn't know.
Speaker 3: And of course he can't be the father because he's Captain Virgin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's like, you were supposed to be my first and true wife. I was supposed to be your first and true husband.
Speaker 3: But then he she's like she kind of says, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: He gives her this hug and you can you might miss it if you're not listening.
Speaker 3: But he goes even Christians make mistakes.
Speaker 2: Like oh really, well, you know, and if there's any crossover, it's kind of like we were talking, you know, the new franchise The Housewives of Salt Lake City. This woman's like, you know, Mormons have a dark side and a lot of secrets, and it's like, yeah.
Speaker 3: We all know, you're all twisted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we've heard of the politic, Like, of course we know the secrets and that there's a dark side to politic.
Speaker 1: Like I don't think anybody, I don't think there's one religion that people are like they're all clear, they're all good, they're not doing anything wrong. Ever, maybe bye, maybe byee.
Speaker 2: I also want to say the dad finally is a little pissed too, because he's like, oh, who's the fucking father.
Speaker 1: Finally the dad has a moment. Yeah, so we get we're at the precinct. The cops are all kind of having like a pow wow to figure out what to do. Next week we find out shocker of the episode, Stabler is pro life. I mean, of course, he's like, if there's no rape or incest, have the baby give it up for adoption, which is like, I mean, we've talked about that. It's just like a crazy uh such a male thing to think. And then in walks gray Lick the worst actress of all time.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry to say this.
Speaker 1: If you're a listener, Kim Graylick, she is my least favorite DA that they ever have. You can wait, please tweet at us, and please tweet at us and tell us who your least favorite DA is, because it is for me, Kim Graylick with a bullet.
Speaker 3: Oh to me, it's the old drunk.
Speaker 2: But also, if Kim Graylick wants to come on the show, we'll have her and we'll change her tune really quickly.
Speaker 1: I'll fight you over the drunk. Christine Latti is a goddess. I'll fight you, okay.
Speaker 3: So she comes in.
Speaker 1: Basically is like, we got to charge the dads of these girls, but one of them is already dead. Two of them are underage as well, and then the only one is Fidelia's baby daddy, who is allegedly twenty two years old. So they find out that this guy's name, she doesn't even know his name. She met him one time at a party. His name that she knows is Dizzer. Okay, Lisa, what do we know about Dizzer?
Speaker 3: What do we know about dizzer? He is a word we are not allowed to say.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he's like a white guy wearing like hip hop clothing, gold chains and a shirt that says, what is it ripping.
Speaker 3: Recondex and getting sex? Yeah.
Speaker 2: And when Munch and Iced Tea come, This is my favorite is when people try to befriend Iced Tea and it's like he's not even nice to his son, He's not gonna be nice to you, and yeah, I just I love seeing people try to be like what not brother and He's like, we are not brothers. I'm a fucking cop killer, you know, Like I just I can't imagine trying to like snuggle.
Speaker 3: Up to iced. He ever, not that way, not that way. I think there's other ways.
Speaker 1: Okay, So they go talk to this Skuy dizzer. He's nuts, he doesn't remember.
Speaker 3: Me, and he's in such a Brooklyn store, Like I've been to the store in Williams. Yeah I have been there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're basically going to try to do paternity, but because the baby's not born yet, Finn and Stableer show up to Fidelia's house just to take her to get an amniocentesis, which is insane. I mean, amniocentesis is like a procedure with risks. It's like not the kind of thing where you're like, get in the cop car. We're taking you to get an amnio. Like it just doesn't work like that. So they try to go get her and like, wait, what's the little joke? What's the little thing that happens? They try, They go to get her out of her bedroom and the dad's just kind to open the door.
Speaker 3: Classic s view.
Speaker 2: What I love is before they show us something horrific, we get a little laugh, and basically he's well, he's like, oh, sure, we'll get her.
Speaker 3: Hey pumpkin, Hey pumpkin.
Speaker 2: It's like your daughter is a ringleader of a pregnancy pack. She is not a pumpkin. But the door is locked and he tries to knock it open, and then he's like, oh sorry, bums shoulder, like, he makes a little joke that he's not strong enough to like, oh, maloney, can you help me?
Speaker 3: I just yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So Stabler has to like use his Catholic tattooed arm to fucking bust his store open, and they open the door and Fidelia is hanging dead from a ceiling fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah so not great. Yeah, so that's what we get. We get a joke and then a teen hanging Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Immediately that's they're able to walk that fine line. It's a ping pong game. So at the top of the next act, we find out that Fidelia's mom, who I think has been drinking a lot.
Speaker 3: She seems very zonked on pills.
Speaker 1: She's like someone was emailing Fidelia calling her a slut and a whore, and the email address was like Dizzer sixty nine at AOL or something.
Speaker 3: Like that.
Speaker 2: Also, what's funny is they had a family computer in the main room, which is so of that time. Yes, so of that time. And I want to give a shout out that Mom is an amazing actress. She really nailed her scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, she's good.
Speaker 1: So cops think that it's Dizzer who's been calling her asla and a horror online and stuff. But they do some research find out that the emails came from an internet cafe. We get a little security cam screen grab. Who is it leaving the internet cafe? Peggy Bernardi aka Debbie Masar. So she admits to bullying Fidelia online. But at this point in the timeline of the show, I think New York doesn't really have big cyber bullying laws yet. I think now New York and the rest of the country is sort of catching up on that, but at that time there weren't these cyber bullying laws. So it's like they're trying to figure out, like how culpable she is. Meanwhile, someone has doxed Peggy Bernardi, meaning they've revealed where she lives. We show up at her apartment and there's, as Lisa puts it, a beauty in the Beast style brigade has shown up at the house, which I love because I just think no one in New York ever talks to their neighbors, but on this show, people are.
Speaker 3: Like, get out of here, rapist neighbor.
Speaker 1: Like everyone's always showing up places to like out their neighbors and get mad at them. And then we cut to so Peggy is arraigned and is ordered not to use a computer not allowed.
Speaker 3: This is kind of like me.
Speaker 2: It was in a humiliating moment when I got a call from the FBI because of a Twitter argument I got into.
Speaker 3: And it's like, to have.
Speaker 2: The government tell you to please get off the internet is pretty humiliating.
Speaker 1: I would say, that's.
Speaker 3: That's really great. Okay.
Speaker 1: So they're reading out these messages online between Peggy disguised as Desser sixty nine and Fidelia, and they're on a social media app called b Friends spelled fr n d z. I'm obsessed with all the various websites and social media platforms that SVU makes up. There's like face Union, there's face Space, b Friends, There's a bunch more. I just found a really great article with all the fake websites that they have on sview and it's amazing. I'll post it on our Instagram or something, or our Twitter. So in one of the messages, right before she signs off, Fidelia says, gotta go. Foth is knocking fat and everyone assumes that she just means my dad's knocking. But Tina kind of stands up in court and is like, that's not what that means. Foth is first and true husband, which we actually heard Max say earlier in the episode. So now we cut to the cops interrogating Max, and they're just fully interrogating a teen without parents or counsel.
Speaker 3: Not great police work. But Max admits.
Speaker 1: All this stuff. He's like, I snuck up the fire escape to visit Fidelia. Max goes, We've been together forever. Fidelia is fifteen years old, so I just want to put that into perspective. He's saying, Fidelia was blowing me off, she said she never loved me, she said she was scared to have sex, and then she went and did this. So he actually admits that he choked her to death and then set it up like a suicide. And Max is just like, I've been asking God for forgiveness, but he's not answering me. So God is ghost Max and he's kind of getting an idea of how that whole thing works.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's like you've made up everything else that God told you.
Speaker 3: Can't you just look it out? Can't you just make up what he's telling you to do? Now? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So wildly Max gets only four years in prison, which I feel like is must be due to him being like fifteen or something because he's murdered a pregnant girl Like that just seems like you'd get more than four years. Alec Bernardi gets fifteen to life. I think because he's over They say he's over sixteen, he might be eighteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they tried him as an adult because that. Yeah, I remember when I saw that, I was like really really shocked by Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah. So he gets fifteen to life for killing Josh, and then Peggy's charges are completely dropped. But then gray Lick like antagonizes her a little bit, and then Peggy attacks gray Lick, who, oh, to be honest, is being very judgy. I feel like she's like, hope you can wash the blood off your hands before you hold your grand baby, Like Okay, I.
Speaker 3: Like it though, Yeah, Hayt and graylock so much. That's a killer line.
Speaker 1: I hate grayl like, but I feel like a DA would never say something so judgemental. But okay, it is a TV show. So Peggy attacks Gray like she's got some kind of little amount of blood behind her ear. But now we're meant to believe that the mom is going to jail.
Speaker 3: Collar that bitch for assault, call her that bitch for assault.
Speaker 1: So now she's apparently gonna go to jail, even though we have no idea if it's like her first defense. We don't know what kind of jail time she'd get.
Speaker 3: It is not her first defense.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go out on a limb and say, this bitch has gotten in trouble before.
Speaker 1: But now we've got little Tina who's pregnant, and like, now it's farther along. She's like, you know, she looks like she's seven months or eight months pregnant, and her mom's in jail, her brother's in jail. You know, her dad took off, so she's got nothing her if a baby daddy is dead, Her baby daddy is dead. But guess what, her baby granddaddy steps up and he offers to take her in the guy from the practice, Tom Gally, offers to have her come live with him because I guess they live in the same building, so it wouldn't be a big wouldn't be a big move, you know, so he can be have his grandchild then take care of this girl who has nobody now. So it is kind of like a rare, rare, like tiny ray of sunshine happening at the end of a very fucked up episode where multiple people are dead.
Speaker 2: Even the ray of sunshines and SVU are still like, these people need some therapy, you know, Like it's always like I hope these people get the therapy they need.
Speaker 1: Because it's like I don't who Yeah, yeah, anyway, that was babes. We're going to take a quick break and when we come back, Lisa's going to walk us through all the real life of it all.
Speaker 3: Welcome back. I hope you enjoyed that advertisement.
Speaker 2: So what's cool about this is it's not an actual crime, so it's a little light and fun after a teen suicide. But there is also besides the Pregnancy Pact, which you know took the nation by storm in two thousand and eight, I mean it was the news story of the fucking year.
Speaker 3: Too, and probably was a winning and then pay packed the two biggest things of eight.
Speaker 2: But there is there was a real life situation where people were beating the shit out of homeless people and putting it on the internet, which is disgusting.
Speaker 1: The red haring kind of crime at the beginning is the whole is the whole street cleaner's thing, which is loosely based I think on bum Fights, which are a series of movies that were produced in like the early two thousands. I think we're actually homeless people were paid to like be in sketches, but I think in some of the sketches they were definitely fighting each other and it was not It seemed pretty dehumanizing. There were four of them, yeah, from two thousand and two to two thousand and six, and I think that's definitely where the show pulled this idea from. It got a lot of criticism, like homeless advocacy groups were like, this is not cool. But the one ray of sunshine, I guess, the one silver lightning was that one guy who was in a bunch of the movies actually did sort of make enough money to get off the street. So in one case it helps someone, but overall a pretty deplorable idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can also just give people money and not make them box for it. I mean, yeah, if you make anyone desperate for money do things that they wouldn't do for free, it's not nice anyways. Okay, so let's get to the pregnancy packed. Let's set the stage.
Speaker 3: And what is the town called. I'm going to say it wrong the whole time. Gloucester, Gloucester, Yeah, Gloucester, Massachusetts, two thousand and eight. I'm going to set the scene.
Speaker 2: Juno is out, you know, teen mom is out, knocked up, you know, Bristol Palin. Teen moms are in fashion right now. And also I'd like to say that the girls that got pregnant in this high school deny that there was a pregnancy pact.
Speaker 3: They say maybe some of them were, but they're eight.
Speaker 2: So basically this high school, it's a Catholic school. Eighteen girls and one high school got pregnant in the same year. And the nurse, the nurse is like my favorite, the school nurse nurse. Daily she says that she administered one hundred and fifty pregnancy tests that year alone, the most she has ever done. And the reason it's like it's up in the air because the pregnancy packed rumor was started by the priest of the school that was trying to alleviate responsibility because it's like, fucker, you're doing a bad job educating these kids. If everyone's out there getting pregnant, give them condoms, give them education, and so he started the rumor of the pregnancy pact. The nurse thinks that there was a pregnancy pact because she said girls would hysterically cry when the tests would come out negative. So some girls did want to get pregnant. And then I feel like some of the girls were like popular and didn't want to be associated with the loser girls. I don't know, I have no idea either way. It's a problem, but it's not a crime. And thinking about all this, I'm really upset that all these girls got so much negative attention all A lot of the interviews afterwards were saying these girls were called slut people in the town screamed at them everywhere they went, calling them whores, And it's like, well, what about the boys that got them pregnant?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we hear nothing about these boys.
Speaker 1: I just found out one thing about this that I had never heard before, which is that one of the girls even sought out a twenty four year old homeless man to get pregnant.
Speaker 2: The girl denies it, and it's another thing that the priests said. The Catholic principle from the school said the girls were desperate and one of them fucked this twenty four year old homeless person to get pregnant, which is sad, but I don't believe him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's definitely where SPU got Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh one, but if these boys were twenty two, why are they not being charged for statutory rate? Why aren't the boys being called sluts and irresponsible fathers? It's like just sexism, and how the world works is like so fucked up. Where these older boys are fucking fifteen year old girls without condoms and the girls are being called sluts. It's frustrat to me. Oh and we forgot Jamie lin Spears also was there anyways? And then a funny I don't know if it's funny, but a fun thing about all these teen moms. They have perfect teen mom names, Like one was Kyla, Lindsay, Briann Amanda. It's like, if anyone's going to be a teen mother, it's going to be these names, you know, No Barbara's were getting knocked up.
Speaker 1: The girls in the episode were Bianca, Tina, Carlotta, and Padelia. They were clearly trying to make it like it's an Italian thing to want to get pregnant when you're fifteen.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't even catch that.
Speaker 2: And there is a documentary you watched it all the Gloucester eighteen. Yeah, I watched The Gloucester eighteen. You have to buy it. There's no way to steal it. Unfortunately I tried.
Speaker 1: And it is. It's like sad because it's like all these girls, I mean, they get them a little bit before it all goes down, but then they get them some of them after, and it's like it's just.
Speaker 3: Not they all think it's going to be this y.
Speaker 1: Like I think that a lot of teens that want to get pregnant are they are not getting love from their parents, they're not getting love from their boyfriend or whatever, and so they're like, this will be unconditional love that I'm getting from a baby, you know, and they just see what it's like to almost babysit, you know, like when you're babysitting, it's like, oh cute and now you give it back to the mom, you know, or you put it to bed and you eat all the people's snacks. Like it's just not the same as like having your body ripped apart, like having to feed a baby from your body. Like there's just a lot of work. I have one I can tell you from experience, And I just don't think it's funny because I think it's very clear that having kids or heart is a hard thing. And Lisa, You're always like, who's telling you it's easy?
Speaker 3: Who is telling these teens that it's easy?
Speaker 2: What mother is like, Oh, it was a breeze, even though moms that are like moms aren't honest enough.
Speaker 3: It's hard.
Speaker 2: I'm like, they're all honest, it's a fucking nightmare. Like I've never seen a new mom be like it's a breeze, all stressed out right.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So, the pregnancy packed documentary The Gloss eighteen just had like a lot of girls like slowly swinging on swing sets, you know, kind of talking about how they were maybe gonna move in with their boyfriend and they were all trying to get like spots in the daycare and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Oh, I have two things to add one.
Speaker 2: I'm very I was a very avid babysitter. I was a professional babysitter for a long time. Same and I had a kid once. Tell me, my mom would like you to stop eating all our bananas. What a bitch, Like, I'm taking care of your kid. I can't have one banana.
Speaker 3: Bananas are nineteen cents each, bitch, calm down.
Speaker 2: And she wouldn't tell me. She made her son tell me to stop eating the bananas. And he's like, yeah, my mom says you don't work hard enough.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you assholes, I'm telling you now, I can tell you worked hard enough. Because that sounds like a shitty family. Yeah, they're a capitalist family.
Speaker 2: I also want to say, of all the crimes we research and everything we watch, like, I don't know why, it's so horrific to just see a pregnant tea and like pajama pant bottoms and a like a spaghetti strap tank top just sitting in a tiny kitchen.
Speaker 3: There's something just so sad and horrific about it.
Speaker 2: And it's weird because we're also, you know, researching Casey Anthony murdering her baby, and I'm like, this is worse.
Speaker 3: It's I don't know why.
Speaker 2: And a big thing about a lot of the interviews and pieces that the kids did was one of them Kyla was she said, there was never a moment where I didn't think I would keep him, and the mom is just nodding in the background, and I'm sure it's the Catholic thing, but it's just so crazy that abortions not talked about at all.
Speaker 1: Oh, we've said though not in the dock, but like we've said, out of the eighteen pregnancies, there were definitely a couple abortions, right, some eighteen of them didn't have kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, correct, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And one of the wild things that the school actually had a daycare, but there were only seven spots, and so the teens started like not fighting, but like they had to get one of.
Speaker 1: The trouting out about getting childcare. Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 3: For those that.
Speaker 2: Don't know, Kara's husband is what is it not a postmaster like a dungeon master, a dungeon roleplay master.
Speaker 3: And so me Karen are from Megan Gaily.
Speaker 2: We do a coven like weekly bi weekly, which fantasy role play game. And I was a single mother once every two weeks in a fantasy game for two hours and I was stressed out about childcare.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had to write Lisa's We had to write Lisa's characters child off to boarding school. Because Lisa was just like she kept being like, well what do I do about my daughter? We were like, it doesn't matter. You have a fictional ten year old. Nobody cares like. She was like, this is stressing me out. I was like, I love how you being a mom for two hours every two weeks. It's just like untenable. You cannot handle it.
Speaker 2: No, and now ad fucking getting a high school diploma. It's just really really bad. And then you know, we talk about like why this all got attention. It's a poor town, it was a quiet fishing village. Does race play a part in all this? Does class play a part in all this? Like I'm sure there's tons of high schools in America where tons of teens are getting pregnant. There was something so sensationalized about this Gloucester eighteen and this pregnancy pact.
Speaker 3: That might not even be real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it sounds kind of like the school created the idea of the pack to take blame off their own shoulders because they were not providing contraception, not providing education, you know, like, and so they were just like, oh, this isn't our fault. This is because they all schemed together and came up with this crazy idea to get pregnant together, to be Jamie lin Spears's together, and like it's yeah.
Speaker 2: And then the one, if we can call hero and all this is nurse Daily and she left her job and resigned and was like, fuck this, like, you guys are not taking responsibility. We're not doing anything to help these girls not get pregnant. And she would just mad about all the hoopla and everything, and she's like, there is an actual problem with teen pregnancies and not enough condoms, and let's help solve these problems. Like you said, So the nurse is like the one progressive, smart person in all of this, and so she's kind of amazing. And yeah, the girls are just fucking moms.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: I don't know what to say. That's the end. It's interesting.
Speaker 1: I don't really have a source, but I have read that like shows like teen Mom have actually pushed the teen pregnancy rate down. I hope, so, because like it's like people are like they're glamorizing it. I'm like, I don't think they're really glamorizing it.
Speaker 3: They're not making it seem good.
Speaker 2: No, because all and teen mom any it's a depressing show for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't watch it because it's too depressive for me.
Speaker 2: And some of them ended up having second kids too, like within three years and stuff, which is shocking. But yeah, like you, like we mentioned earlier, one of the girls in an article is like like, ah, I didn't know it was going to be this hard, and.
Speaker 3: It's like, I don't know why you didn't know.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: I think when in eighth grade we were for extra credit our health class, we can take a fake baby home if we wanted, and I never wanted it. I knew I wasn't going to have children from a very young age. I was not interested in that. But there was a girl I didn't like, and so when she went to buy lune, I took her baby and I put the head back over and over and over again so she would get a bad grade. So that's my experience with health class.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I guess you know, people don't change.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 1: I wanted to bring up the pregnancy packed Lifetime movie though, too.
Speaker 3: Did you ever did you see that well, yeah, because I love fucking Thora Birch. I think she's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from now and then to American Beauty, fucking hocus Pocus.
Speaker 3: She really is so much of my childhood in ten years. I love Thora Birch. Where is she? Let you Go?
Speaker 1: The poster of that movie just had a resurgence because the entire cast of vander Pump Rules, a show that Lisa and I watch, recently became pregnant basically at the same time, and they redid this part ignancy pac poster with all of their faces on it, so you know, just I'll put we'll post it on the Instagram if you're interested.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so this is kind of a light crime, I guess, you know, in terms of where we're gonna go in other episodes and compare to everything else. And SVU did an amazing job of taking just a chill teen pregnancy situation and turning it into a suicide internet death threat thing, which is great.
Speaker 1: But he got murdered in the real pregnancy pact luckily. And they also kind of I mean, they did call it a pact, and they did it the same stuff, but it was only four girls, like eighteen girls is a really really bonkers number of girls to get pregnant at the same time in one high school, you're gonna start putting some condoms and baskets at the library or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I just look at my life and I'm so grateful for the travel and the partying and the hangouts and the festivals and the parades I went to, just all of these things that even when I hear of people like that turned twenty two, get married, have a kid, and like our teachers, I'm like, wait, what don't you want to see Thailand?
Speaker 3: I just am like.
Speaker 2: So confused by the rush to do those things.
Speaker 3: So but if you know, if that's your choice, I.
Speaker 1: Saw Thailand, and now I have a kid, so that makes me have to go anywhere again.
Speaker 2: I love the irony of Kara talking about them not having access to contraception, and then in the background is the loudest screen daughter.
Speaker 3: My daughter just slamming a Morocca against the ground.
Speaker 2: Well, no, because I feel you're You're married, you have a great partner, you have enough money for child's care, you have friends with kids, and it's still a nightmare, not a nightmare, but it's still hard.
Speaker 3: It's still hard.
Speaker 1: Tell me how you really feel about my life.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just no, it is it is. It is a maniac Rosie. It's far Yeah, it's far from a nightmare.
Speaker 3: No, she's so cute.
Speaker 2: But Rosie follows in her mother Kara's footsteps, and she's a busy baby. She's out there, she's opening drawers, she's taking out bowls, she.
Speaker 1: Wants to go to the bar. Guard she's saying. She just started saying, oh fuck last week. So we're I mean, you say nightmare, I say dream. I think I'm living through is.
Speaker 2: I just meant in terms of even when you have a home and support and financial stability, it's always hard.
Speaker 3: It's hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I accept when you're like one of the Real housewives that has like three nannies per child and you're like, it's so hard being a mom for you, it's not hard. I know.
Speaker 2: Camille Grammar is tweeting about socialism today and I'm like, bitch, you live off rich men.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's socialism. What are you against? Anyways?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for more housewives, go to our Patriot and I'm just kidding, calm, and we have an amazing guest. Oh yeah, we have a guest. That's gonna blow open a lot of questions we had about the episode. I'm really excited that's coming up. Okay, guys are interview Coming up is with a extremely talented filmmaker and actor from Brooklyn, New York. She is now getting into the directing game and has a horror anthology movie coming out this year called Phobia's so keep an eye out for that. She's also in development on a project called Hunger on a possession movie, and you can catch you coming up in a movie called Off Season, directed by Mickey Keating.
Speaker 2: We are so thrilled that we got to interview Fidelia aka Jess Varley.
Speaker 3: People listening they can't look at we see you.
Speaker 2: And it's wild because Babes is one of our favorite SVU episodes and you're just Fidelia and it's insane. And what you did that very few people have done on SVU is you do like a speech to Benson trying to insult like it is the most ep web Benson, your teen pregnant belly, and it is just it's amazing. I want to hear about that scene and taping in everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she's a real sassy one, isn't she it was such a good experience. It was literally like I had I had I went to the Guardia, so I like started acting in high school and I'd done.
Speaker 5: A couple of commercials, but that was like my first you.
Speaker 6: Know, dramatic acting job on a set and honestly the best thing. Like I mean, I just turned thirty, I'm still working in the industry, and a lot of it has to do with that experience, because like I remember getting on set and being like, wow, everybody eats together and they're all friends, you know, because like usually, especially commercial shoots, you know you're in, you're out.
Speaker 5: It's a quick job.
Speaker 6: But it was the first time I had really like experienced It sounds cheesy, but it's like the first time I really experienced community on a set. And I was like I want that. I am also an only child, so I was like Frans.
Speaker 2: You know, I always say being on a set is like summer camp. It's summer camp one thousand percent.
Speaker 5: That's always what I say, too. Yes, it was really.
Speaker 6: Good vibes, Like I mean, even Mariushka Hargatea was like so sweetly be.
Speaker 5: Like okay, so that's your mark, you know, like.
Speaker 6: Explaining like a little you know, like she's kind of coaching me through that.
Speaker 5: They're so gracious and sweet.
Speaker 6: They work with you know, so many people coming through there all the time. Everyone was great. I'm still friends with Ray Bruso, who played my dad on the show. We reconnected a couple of years ago, and everyone's great, Like even Jesse McCarty. Like, I remember when we were all eating lunch and like we had a bunch of shoots too. We'd already shot some stuff and we were going to shoot after It's like the really dramatic scene we're like.
Speaker 5: He opens the door and rushes in and like we embrace each other whatever.
Speaker 6: I remember him just being like, okay, so after lunch, like this is your money shot, you know it. It was so sweet because everybody was so just like gracious and sweet and helpful and nice and like, honestly, was a great experience.
Speaker 3: Did you watch SVU before you go?
Speaker 2: I want to know the moment you got the call that you got the part, like being your first big part, Like, how do do you feel?
Speaker 5: I felt great? It was awesome.
Speaker 6: It also was like, you know, as an actor in New York, you know, a young actor in New York, you're like law and Order like and also this was back in the day. This was before you know, there was girls and all these shoes in this show shooting in New York, so it was like you're either going to be a Law and Order SVU, law and Order criminal.
Speaker 5: Intent, you know.
Speaker 6: It was like, yeah, were a soap opera basically, you know. But I mean I was super thrilled. Like I remember going in having the audition, and yeah, it was just I remember even like I think at that point, like I didn't even have a headshot, you know, like I gave them a resume with a photo my friend took of me, you know, like I printed out that I printed out from my computer.
Speaker 5: I like paper.
Speaker 1: But there was something about you that they were like, she can tell Benson that she's too old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah, some of those lines.
Speaker 1: I'm like, hmm, it's like nobody ever sass is Benson that way you did, and then such that.
Speaker 2: Benson just is like your kid might have cerebral palsy. And then suddenly you like shrink a little bit, and.
Speaker 1: I did you did you know like the true story of like the pregnancy Pact at all?
Speaker 6: Yes, actually, because I think I had heard about it in the news before this all happened, so I was aware, and it was like and also being like the quote unquote ring leader of yes, like you know, because there's also like I mean, there's some amazing people in the episode too, like Britt Robertson's in.
Speaker 3: It, Debbie Debbie Maze, like.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm a blondie, but you know, all my family in Brooklyn is super Italian. So I felt at least like, Okay, I'm getting getting through to my roots here. But yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And Dezzer did you did you ever get to meet Dezzer?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 6: Actually I'm trying to think did we have I guess we didn't have a scene together, but yeah, when then when you see him the way they have him and like what good stoore like.
Speaker 1: Yo yo whissle, Oh my man, a truly problematic character.
Speaker 2: Wait, either this is all this will be a fun game. Either or Jesse McCartney or Dizzer Ooh.
Speaker 6: I want to go as Jesse McCartney because he was such a lovely guy. But then I feel like, knowing myself in the past, I probably would have made the.
Speaker 5: Mistake of dating a dessert or too. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Wait, I'm not really positive about the timeline. But was Jesse McCartney.
Speaker 1: He was already like kind of a teen heart Throbs singer at that time, right, So were you kind.
Speaker 5: Of yeah, oh, Deely Harvey.
Speaker 6: I think Actually, funnily enough, I don't think I knew that we were cast popposite each other, like until I got to set that night and I was like, oh, Jesse, that's my name. And then I was like Jesse Jesse.
Speaker 5: Again and I was like, oh, it's Jesse McCartney.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean I especially like at the time too, like totally, you know, I was like, oh my god, this is this is great and again and he was just so sweet, Like I honestly can't tell you how nice he was. Like everyone really just took their time and was just I don't know it really even still to say, I'm like, man, everyone really like it was a very good introduction to like the community.
Speaker 2: You know, I bet curious about like hair and makeup and the belly.
Speaker 3: How long did it take, Like how did they make the belly?
Speaker 1: It looks so real by the way, like it looks like true skin when you're like rubbing it.
Speaker 6: Well, there there actually is a body double for the double the one shot where I rube the pregnant belly, that is a true price.
Speaker 1: I knew of it and like that cannot be still a cone like it looks like real skin Detective now.
Speaker 5: It just comes out. So yeah, it was like it was a body double and my belly because.
Speaker 6: I remember because especially because I did it again on the other episode. It's basically like you know, it's it's made out of like sort of like a foam, you know, and it's like a bump, and then you put on spanks over it and and that's the look, and then they can adjust it depending on how many months they want you to be. Like there was I think there might have even not like a pillow underneath, but it was like they could stuff stuff underneath it to basically make it go out further. But yeah, once I put it on the second time, I was like, what's happening here?
Speaker 5: This is weird.
Speaker 2: And then another thing we're so curious about within the episode is is that a body double?
Speaker 1: Hang?
Speaker 2: I mean you have a tragic murder. Oh you know, it's all fun and games and then your hair's a ceiling fan.
Speaker 5: Dad.
Speaker 6: My dad is still having trouble unseeing this image. It actually is me hanging up there. And the way they do it is they basically put you in a harness that your clothes and it like holds your feet from the bottom, and you know, you just, oh my gosh, it was weird, like even for me afterwards, Like, you know, I didn't really think much of it because you're acting.
Speaker 5: It's a quick shot, but like afterwards I kind of was like I was sort of.
Speaker 6: Like a weird position to be in. Yeah, it's like cray perspective for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how long did you have to hang there for the scene?
Speaker 6: I think it was pretty quick because it's like they just come in and see me there.
Speaker 5: So I mean, at any given time.
Speaker 6: You know, it was probably just a couple of minutes, Like we try to shoot it out pretty quick.
Speaker 1: So do you have any funny stories from the set or like any goss so much.
Speaker 5: Kind of think of anything juicy. I mean, I mean I was.
Speaker 6: Only like probably sixteen when we shot it, So my mom was on set with me at the time. And my mom is she has like a background in social work and you know, a lot of the SVU content stuff, and I remember like Marishima Hargetty's.
Speaker 5: Lines in that scene.
Speaker 6: She had like triple the lines and it was so wordy that even she was like, can we cut this down? You know, She's like, oh, you're line for support, you know, food stamps, and like it just kept going on and on and on, and my mom.
Speaker 5: Like kind of chimes in.
Speaker 6: She's like, you know, I don't want to interrupt, but actually some of this is factually incorrect.
Speaker 5: Actually the writers are with her. The writers are with my mom.
Speaker 6: Like, oh okay, tell us, tell us. So I was like, well, actually you know what would happen is this, this and this, and they're like okay, okay. They literally took my mom's notes, which is hilarious. And surely after that, you know, I started going to these things on my own, of course, but you know, at the time, you know, and again also everyone was so sweet to her, like, you know, they gave for like a little director's chair to sit in, and but they legit took my mom's notes.
Speaker 3: I hope she got a consultant with me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, she might be owned that.
Speaker 3: Were you embarrassed or were you into it?
Speaker 6: I was super embarrassed, super embarrassed, like, oh my god, Mom, please stop.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: But in the in the end, I think I think Hargeta was pretty relieved because it helped cut down some of the tongue twisters that she'd been trying to get out.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Jess, having a awesome rest of your day, so fun.
Speaker 5: Thank you. It was awesome.
Speaker 3: That was incredible.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, what a dream, What a treat.
Speaker 2: I like that every gives us what we want to hear, which is that Mariska is an angel on earth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and everybody, I mean everybody has that. We've heard sus a well oiled machine. It's a family, it's a community. Like I mean, Lisa, I just can't believe you couldn't get it together to hand that paper to somebody and just get a small part on the show. You could have been eating lunch feet away from Marishka targeted.
Speaker 2: This needs to be caught the most successful podcast in the world, and that we'll get.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much did Yeah, we did that for this reason. I'm like trying to get we're playing the long game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we could play like jew Evil Sisters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or I would even be like arguing with you walking down the street and.
Speaker 3: We like, see that hang out of a bush.
Speaker 2: I also loved hearing that Jess was really hanging from the ceiling fan.
Speaker 3: Yes, and the body double, I got that. Oh that was so good. But and I thought there was a body double for the hanging and no man. And I'm glad her dad was what's it called tortured by it? And what did you that her.
Speaker 1: Dad like, can't get the image out of his head?
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably torture by it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to say my number one lesson that I would like to give to everyone for this post mortem is get an abortion.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What I don't understand in the real town and in the fake town, all of it. Yeah, it's these kids being like I never thought of anything else.
Speaker 3: I'm horrified.
Speaker 1: And when Olivia Benson tells you here's X y Z, like twenty reasons why this is not a good idea, Yeah, I'm like running to plan parenthood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just please encourage people to get abortions. You don't need to have a baby at sixteen. And it's just tough for me because I sound extra judgmental and crazy because I just don't want to have children and I never have had the urge, so sometimes I just truly don't understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I understand that. And it's just like, if you think that it's not going to completely alter your life when you're sixteen and seriously hinder a lot of your dreams, you're crazy.
Speaker 2: Because we know adults that are getting having babies and you're like, oh, this bitch is not going.
Speaker 3: To handle it. Oh yeah, this bitch does not know what she's about to get into it.
Speaker 1: But people in their mid thirties where I'm like, this isn't going to go. Well, yeah, I mean, you're a great mother, thank you. I love watching you parent. It's like you're organized as hell.
Speaker 2: You plan everything, you keep you keep track of the foods, when are they napping, what's going on, And still it's a nightmare.
Speaker 3: You're the most prepared person. You're on top of it, and we basically.
Speaker 1: Just observing a nightmare the whole time.
Speaker 3: Because your kids.
Speaker 2: Are so cute, well you're k yeah, like Rosie's so cute, but it's still I walk I watched her just walk into a hot tub.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's wearing floaties. Everybody.
Speaker 2: We have to give another lesson, don't cyber bully teens. If you're a grown up, yeah, even if you're a teen. If you're a teen, don't do it. But if you're a grown up, especially, don't do it.
Speaker 1: Also, don't go for a white guy named Dezzer who's like trying to be a DJ and like a player. Yeah, yeah, you gotta just stay with Steer clear of dessert.
Speaker 3: Do not date them, do not fuck them.
Speaker 2: They will not pay child support, right, yeah, don't do that. And don't don't use your black scent to a black police officer to try to get friendly with them.
Speaker 3: They won't like it. They're not gonna like it.
Speaker 1: And I'd say, steer clear of the abstinence club in high school if your high school even has one, Come on, could they be more boring these people?
Speaker 2: I do have to admit that in high school, I try to start a no smoking club because I was anti cigarettes, which.
Speaker 1: Is Lisa, I am dying.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I asked all these teachers, I'm like, will you be the teacher sponsor to my no smoking club?
Speaker 3: And every teacher was like, They're like, I'll let you know after my cigarette break. That is so funny.
Speaker 1: You're like our virgin lungs. Like you're like the same thing as a chastity club.
Speaker 2: But I was smoking Newport's junior year, so like, I don't understand what I was thinking.
Speaker 3: And that's the same with abstinence.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know my senior I mean, I'm not really an academic and I went to a weird evangelical college, so it wasn't that hard. But my senior paper and everything was about the concept of virginity absence only education, and virginity is not real women. Sex is not for somebody like fuck to have a good time. Do not be abstinent unless you really want to.
Speaker 3: I don't know, unless that's what's in your heart, I guess. But they're tricking you.
Speaker 2: They're tricking you, and you're thinking, like teen Dick is going to change your life or it's just it's taught weird, it's awful. I don't know, it's just too much shame, it's just too much. I just I'll tell you something.
Speaker 1: Teen Dick then never done changed anybody's life in a good way.
Speaker 2: No, So I think that's we're putting that on a T shirt. That's a merch. That's a merch. That is a merch. I'd yeah, we learned Debbie maysar a queen of the world.
Speaker 1: Yes, Debbie Mays are untouchable, Madonna's best friend untouchable. Yeah, I love her.
Speaker 3: It's so great.
Speaker 2: And at the end, you know, if all else fails, your ex boyfriend who has burned to death's dad might help you out.
Speaker 3: Oh you forgot about that. That was sweet.
Speaker 1: That was a sweet ending. That was a sweet ending.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and don't let don't peer pressure sucks. Do not get peer pressured by your friends to get pregnant. Yeah, this is a dark one, but not dark.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: This was fun. No, I mean, you know, it's like what happened in real life was many of them had the kids, but a few of them got abortions. I'd love to talk to both sides and see who's having a better time.
Speaker 2: No, the abortion parent, they hid their kids. They were like, you're not talking to my kids. We're not too pressed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only ones that probably did press are the ones that had the baby because they need some money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like I don't know what they got from like that Amazon doc. You and I paid for it, but I don't know how many other people are bringing for it. Anyway, that's our post mortem for today's episode. Guys, I hope you take everything you learn there and you can.
Speaker 3: Have sex as a team.
Speaker 2: Just wear a condom, yeah, make sure it's for your pleasure and not with a dizzer.
Speaker 1: Never with a dizzer. Okay, and now it is time for a WWSPD what would Sister peg do? Where we direct you towards resources information that have to do with the topic that we tackled in today's episode. Obviously teen pregnancy, something that we talked very thoroughly about, and we would like to have everybody obviously check out Planned Parenthood. A lot of misconceptions about Planned Parenthood that they're only about abortions. They actually provide a myriad of medical services for women that are extremely important. I am a super proud supporter of Planned Parenthood. I donate in Mike Pence's name every single month. So just go to www dot planned parenthood dot org and check out how you can get more information about your local chapter.
Speaker 2: And next week we'll be covering Counterfeit, which is season three, episode fourteen. As always, you can watch all of us V on Hulu, peacock or buy it.
Speaker 1: I guess another thing, people if you're like driving in your car right now and you don't have time to write down Counterfeit Season three. We do post every single Thursday on our Twitter and our Instagram what the upcoming episode will be about, so that you have like four days to do your homework.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for listening and engaging on the internet with us. I don't spend enough time on my phone, so thank.
Speaker 3: You so much.
Speaker 1: If you have episodes you want us to do, send us an email, message us on Insta or Twitter and look, guys, let's let's just get into twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: See you next week. That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 2: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email at That's Messed Up Pod at gmail.
Speaker 1: Dot com, follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Clank.
Speaker 3: And at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our producer and fellow s View super fan Hannah Kyle Craton.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our heroes Steven Ray, Morris and Annalie Snelson are engineers.
Speaker 2: To Henry Kaperski Musical Extraordinaire for our theme song.
Speaker 1: To our artistic Queen, Carly gen Andrews for all of our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgareff, Danielle Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 2: Listen, subscribe, leave us a review on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts and
Speaker 4: Sp