Speaker 1: Folks.
Speaker 2: It is Thursday, August twentieth, and Robock recently showed me a clip of a woman who dubbed a couple the most annoying couple in the world after she saw what is now a viral video.
Speaker 3: Do you know what couple we're already talking about? And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and DJ. I don't know, if you stop and think the most annoying couple in the world, you stop thinking about some celebrity couples and couples that do some weird stuff or in your face all the time with something on social media, that kind of a thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this couple would have risen to the top.
Speaker 4: No, And I think depending on what you think about how much people share with their lives, you could possibly put Megan and Harry on the list. People might put Taylor and Travis on the list. And I can see in that vain Katie and Justin maybe inching their way up to the of that list. I mean, I don't know who else people would consider. It's just basically they're in love and they're just throwing it out there for everybody to see. And at a certain point it's like enough, we get it. You love each other?
Speaker 1: Is that what it is?
Speaker 3: Okay, folks, Yes, we're talking about Katy Perry and Justin Trudeau, the former Prime Minister of Canada and one of the biggest pop stars the world has ever known. They've been dating. How long has it been now, baby, that they've least been going out?
Speaker 4: So I actually have a timeline that I was going to get into a bit later, but I can go down and look there, I actually have their first date, which is kind of crazy. Remember that picture July twenty twenty five and in fact July very sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wait, this is it. Why do I feel like they've been dating much longer?
Speaker 4: No, July because you see them all the time everywhere. Wait over, So yes, they were spotted on a dinner date in Canada in Montreal at the end of July last year, and then one day later they had another outing where they had cocktails and lobster at a swanky restaurant.
Speaker 5: July twenty ninth.
Speaker 1: This has been a year.
Speaker 5: It's been one year.
Speaker 1: Wait, I am You've blown my mind right now.
Speaker 3: It feels like they've I was going to sweetheart, I was actually going to say, what about three years?
Speaker 4: So no one year and that might speak to what this Australian broadcaster was referring to.
Speaker 3: Okay, so, folks, many of you have probably seen the video by now. I have been hearing about it and reading about it robes for the past couple of days. But what I had read, what I had heard, and from the stills that I saw were what that Justin Trudeau and his girlfriend Katy Perry are in a hardware store.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 3: They're shopping around for whatever like normal people do. That's cool as well. They took a video and he is dancing holding stuff. The stuff they're buying, including a plunger of ropes. The plunger is very important to the story. He's holding a plunger and he's dancing around because his son would I didn't know as a sum pop artist of some kind.
Speaker 1: His song is playing on the on the.
Speaker 4: Radio on the radio in the store speakers of the hardware store.
Speaker 3: And he's dancing and they put out a video. That's what I read now I heard. Folks thought it was goofy, it was silly, it was whatever, and some people criticize some politics came into it, but I didn't think that much of it.
Speaker 1: But then I just saw it, wrote yes, and then.
Speaker 4: So I had told you that they were getting lambasted online, made fun of, called cringe, you name it. They're the world's most annoying couple, and you had I didn't realize you hadn't seen the video yet.
Speaker 5: This all took place.
Speaker 4: We've been in Montreal for the past couple of days, so funny enough, they were just down the street from us at this hardware store, so it's it's everywhere when we would pull up our uh any kind of news outlet in Canada. There it was the trending story that everybody was talking about here in Canada, and that makes sense. But now you just watched the video, and I have to say I was shocked at how shocked you were.
Speaker 5: You were laughing. I think you watched it five times at.
Speaker 1: Least, Sweetheart.
Speaker 3: It's not I mean, it's whatever. He's being goofy. It's very, very, very goofy. I didn't know this level of goof could come out of a guy who ran the country because most of the time I have seen him, in all the years i've seen him, he has on a suit, a crisp white shirt and a tie. Now being casual is one thing, and hanging being jeans and a T shirt and being with your girlfriend, this was other level. This guy has no game, he has no rhythm.
Speaker 5: He's dorky, he is, and that's okay.
Speaker 1: Well, you were so surprised by.
Speaker 4: That because he seems suave and all the pictures and how he dresses. But I was like, that's pretty much every white man I've ever seen try to dance.
Speaker 5: I mean, so I'm not that shock.
Speaker 4: That looks like that could have been anyone I'm related to, anyone I've ever dated before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dancers on on Seinfeld, the Lady Helene the dance lane and dance.
Speaker 5: It was very similar to that. He with a plunger in his hand.
Speaker 3: He's in that lane like, you can't believe someone is this rhythmless.
Speaker 1: You can't believe somebody is.
Speaker 3: Listening to a hip hop song and R and B song and this is the movement that his body calls for.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so Justin's doing that.
Speaker 4: And then Katie is banging like head banging and jumping like a kangaroo everywhere.
Speaker 5: She's got a little hat on.
Speaker 4: But look a lot of people there were There were a a wide range of comments from folks, and it was interesting because, yes, some people get their easy targets right now to make fun of because they did look dorky.
Speaker 3: That Mabe, that is like an independent and that is a very objective way of looking at it and not making fun of, right, that just is.
Speaker 5: What it is steering to some people.
Speaker 3: I am telling you it is hilarious. I think it's cool. I've always found her to be a little quirky. This went in line with it I and Robes the video was just funny. I have nothing to say to go, oh, you dorks, you losers a way, I can't believe you looked like that. And the idea even Robes that he is willing to be goofy and dorky for the sake of promoting his son's song one or Robes, can you imagine how that feels to be going through a store and your kid's songs come comes on the radio.
Speaker 4: I think it's relatable and I do cool and I do think I am on the side of it being more endearing that they're not too cool for school, that they're acknowledging that. Yeah, like it's just kind of a sweet, vulnerable, relatable moment. But yes, Justin's son, Zav Zavi or Trudeau, but he goes by Zav. This is his song Downtown that's playing in the background. But he just began his music career last year and so look, some of the criticism is like, oh, okay, Justin Trudeau's son's trying to become a musician, and oh, he just so happens to be dating one of the world's biggest pop stars who could probably give him a few tips, which they've talked about. And look, it's just this whole idea of nepotism and Nepo babies having Nepo babies. I think was one of the jokes that this Australian broadcaster, Look, a Nepo baby gave birth to another Nepo baby and then this is the video that's the result of it. It's they're easy targets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I don't need to defend the kid. Whatever opportunity, Yes, he has more opportunity than Sabine has because of the last name he has. That's okay, that's fine. Let's own that. It's tough for the kid. He will never can he ever make it on his own his own talent.
Speaker 1: This is a kid. It needs a change. Does what did with the Obama girl.
Speaker 5: That change your last name or just use the middle name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're going to be in the industry, this is your name. If you really don't want people to look at you as a nemo baby.
Speaker 4: It was interesting because I was looking at how to pronounce his name, and he had been on a podcast recently and he was talking about how he gets so much hate on his social media because his dad is who his dad is.
Speaker 5: I looked at him in the.
Speaker 4: Comments because he posted this video of his dad and Katy Perry on his Instagram and has like ten thousand likes as of this recording.
Speaker 5: But the comments run the.
Speaker 3: Gamut from I didn't know that detail. I assume he would have had the gutten his dad. Okay, oh absolutely, well yeah yeah. I stopped for a second a minute, and.
Speaker 4: Then he encouraged other people to do the same. When they hear the song playing, send me a video of you dancing to my song and I'll post it too. So he was kind of using it as bait basically for folks to interact or engage with him. But some of the comments, some people said adorable Proud Papa two complete morons, amazing, living his best life. I thought you wanted to make it on your own, and now this shit. Dad's only dating Perry to get a record deal for son. Sad to see the person who ran this country to the ground enjoying himself while others struggle.
Speaker 5: I mean, so, look, you.
Speaker 4: Get it, and he's probably very used to it at this point, but it was remarkable just how much those comments swung in either direction.
Speaker 5: And look, this is the deal.
Speaker 4: When you make your relationship public like this, they obviously have to understand that, and I'm sure they're very aware that with that comes criticism. And it's just a curious each couple in Hollywood that we've watched, they take different tactics, and some swear by just being vulnerable and being transparent, and others say, yeah, keep that shit private and lock it down.
Speaker 1: A few do that.
Speaker 3: Ryan Gosling and his wife coming to mind, with their kids, they're very very private. What was her name slipped my mind?
Speaker 5: Please help me, Oh, Ryan Gosling and Eva, Yes, they have.
Speaker 1: Very very private absolutely.
Speaker 4: Matt Damon and his wife and his kids, they were all very private. Yes, George Clooney and them all. I've never seen a picture of their kids ever once a lot of times that's when people have kids, but sometimes their relationships themselves become public fodder.
Speaker 5: And public spectacle.
Speaker 4: And look, when you put these types of videos, you do get incoming.
Speaker 5: There's just no question.
Speaker 1: I just I get it.
Speaker 3: But I don't actually to be discussed, to be laughed at, to be enjoyed as entertainment that it is. I don't know why it needs to go a step further criticism like knock yourselves out, do your thing. People don't want to consume it, don't consume it. I just they have chosen to be this out there with their relationship. I don't mind. Bro, if somebody, if you're excited about who you're with now, you want to shout it out from the mountaintop, I just I'm okay with that if that's what you want to do.
Speaker 4: Look, Katie had just come out of a long relationship with her baby daddy, Orlando Bloom. He had just come out of an eighteen year marriage. He had two years in between the marriage and dating Katie, so it was all very respectable. But I went back and looked at their timeline, and it is interesting because they were seen as I mentioned in July a year ago, and then they went and found them on a yacht. I'm sure you remember this a few months later off the coast of Santa Barbara, pictures of them on a yacht together, and so then I think they just finally decided, let's just put this out there.
Speaker 5: So at the end of that.
Speaker 4: Month in October, remember that photo of Katie on her forty ft sorry, her forty first birthday in Paris, with Justin in the red dress, walking hand in hand. It looked like they called the paparazzi there to kind of just be like, yep, we're dating.
Speaker 3: I thought, I don't know why I thought that. I didn't realize I was in Paris. I know exactly the shot you're talking about, because we it looked perfect.
Speaker 5: It was perfect.
Speaker 1: So they were walking out of the abandonam.
Speaker 4: Yes, looking gorgeous, her lipstick perfectly reapplied after dinner on her birthday, and it seemed as though they just made a choice at that moment, and.
Speaker 1: They were holding hands but still didn't say anything.
Speaker 4: I think in the day after and then I actually it was there's obviously a pretty well documented history of just this past year, but from that point on, they just decided to own it. And if you go through Katie's, if you go through Justin's instagrams, every single month they have photo dumps of them showing up for each other Halloween, he dres dresses as left Shark, them kissing, from Coachella to beach photos, to the Tribeca Film Festival to.
Speaker 5: Red carpets, and I think it's just a tactic.
Speaker 4: You know, they figured they were being surveilled, they were being followed and chased by paparazzi, and so now it's a strategy. You just start putting out a bunch of photos and videos of your relationship, and therefore any photo a photographer might get, isn't that worth It isn't worth that much that you aren't hounded as much.
Speaker 3: You actually think this has more to do with strategy than love.
Speaker 5: I think it might be a mix of both.
Speaker 1: How much Which way do you lean?
Speaker 3: Because I hadn't thought about what you just said, yeah until this exact moment.
Speaker 4: And obviously they think this relationship is working for both of I don't know what his career is at this point, but with her career, obviously they think it's beneficial.
Speaker 1: You're dumping on love.
Speaker 3: Now, now you're saying they're doing all this because it's strateg and it's beneficial to them both.
Speaker 1: I do believe.
Speaker 4: I do believe they're in love. I do believe they're relationships genuine. I just think they're doing something that they feel like is working for them, and they're taking the power away from anyone who's trying to get something on them.
Speaker 5: And I do understand.
Speaker 3: That approach, but the risk there is pissing off a a an audience that feels like you're shoving your relationship down their throats. Because even people who aren't following you Robes and I had you just reeled off all these things they've been I had no idea they were doing this.
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh, if you go through their Instagram, it's just them kissing them.
Speaker 5: There's videos and dancing.
Speaker 4: They they basically give all content to anyone who wants it, and so there is zero chance anyone's going to get anything that they haven't already put out there.
Speaker 3: I had no idea of that. So in doing all of that Robes, that means all the tabloids and whatnot, you're giving them stuff to cover. So now there are more stories and more content more real, So that means your Instagram account is going to more likely find its way to me just in my regular everyday searches, that will get here they go again. Oh it's another picture of them that Okay, that might.
Speaker 4: And that is why sometimes at least it feels some people are calling them the most annoying couple in the world, which got us talking about probably what most people will consider the most adorable couple in the world, and they have chosen to take a completely opposite way of dealing with their relationship in the spotlight.
Speaker 5: Hey there, everybody.
Speaker 4: So we were just talking about Katie Perry and Justin Trudeau annoying a lot of folks with their constant content, perhaps just laughing or enjoying the most recent video we got, which you could describe as either cringe or sweet. And you got a proud papa and an excited girlfriend.
Speaker 3: As a plunger and he's holding a a tray, like a tray that you put all your cleaning supplies in his under his arm.
Speaker 5: Oh is that what it was?
Speaker 4: I thought it was a paint tray maybe even, but who knows it is?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, but they look like their shop. Why do they need a plunger.
Speaker 3: Are they in the store looking for a plunger?
Speaker 1: Did they get a new place?
Speaker 4: Did he just grab the plunger to use it as a microphone. I'm thinking maybe it felt like very Tom Cruise at Risky Business when he like slides in and he's like, you know, kind of dancing really awkwardly. That reminded me, h of completely of that scene.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen that scene in a long time. Tom Cruise looked like Michael Jackson compared to Justin Trudeau dancing.
Speaker 4: So yes, again, highly recommend checking that out if you haven't already seen it or if it isn't already all over your feed. But we really started thinking about the other couple that is couldn't be more in the headlines this summer with three Blockbus movies, and we're talking about Zendia and Tom Holland they have done the exact opposite. They don't promote their relationship at all. We actually had to guess that they were a boyfriend and girlfriend, then we had to guess that they were engaged, and then we had to guess that they were married.
Speaker 5: And I actually have.
Speaker 4: A timeline of just how long we had to wait for any of these things to be confirmed. They have definitely take taken the approach that it a lot less goes.
Speaker 5: A long way.
Speaker 1: Did they have a confirm they're marriage?
Speaker 4: Yes, I can actually get well in a way in their way. So no, here's here's what the this is the this is where June. This was in June, he was asked by Esquire magazine about many of the AI generated images of their supposed wedding, and he said, you know, did that confuse any of your family members by these images they saw? And Tom said no, because they were all there, So he confirmed that there.
Speaker 5: Was a wedding.
Speaker 4: But really that is the only way we actually can possibly confirm them No area.
Speaker 3: No, that was I don't know, There's no way he came up with that on the fly. He gave the perfect line to confirm something you still confused.
Speaker 5: About because they were all there.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, wait where So there was a wedding and there's nothing more right for clarity, I get exactly.
Speaker 1: That was so well done.
Speaker 3: Everything in this relationship has been so keeps you guessing.
Speaker 5: But you believe in the authenticity.
Speaker 3: But they've done something ropes that doesn't make me nosy. I don't want to invade their privacy. I am now here for whatever you all want to share, and I support you.
Speaker 4: I agree and look, that was in June. In March of twenty twenty six that's when Zendia's stylist basically accidentally or maybe purposefully.
Speaker 1: I'm not a stylist.
Speaker 5: No, he's still her stylist.
Speaker 1: So he was part of the plan.
Speaker 4: He revealed that they were already married by joking and laughing.
Speaker 5: You all didn't even know it.
Speaker 4: It's already happened because in February that's when they saw her with the wedding ring on the red carpet. So that but from February when we saw the wedding ring until June when he kind of sort of confirmed it, that's how closed lip they've been. But if you go back they started dating. I guess we don't know when they started dating, but they were first Instagram official in July of twenty sixteen, just in a pool with the friend, and they kept saying they were friends. They were on the Hollywood Reporter covered together as friends. They did the lip sync battle together in July of twenty seventeen as friends on the premiere of Spider Man Homecoming. They said they were just friends, but then the rumors began. They shot down the rumors. It took them until twenty eighteen. Nope, I'm wrong. Twenty eighteen, they were still rumors. It took until twenty twenty one before zen Zendia and Tom actually were seen making out.
Speaker 5: In a car in la That's from arkable.
Speaker 4: From twenty sixteen to twenty twenty one, they kept everyone guessing as to whether or not they were dating.
Speaker 5: That's impressive.
Speaker 3: It's impressive, and it works for them. That's fine. It just people have different ways of going about. Nobody can be mad at these two. Don't get me wrong. The two with most adored people in the world at this point. But Robes, nobody can be mad at them. I love that for them and Robes. That's gotta be good for the relationship. Yeah, and you have to remember for these are very young folks. These are young folks who have been through fires together. They have been side by side and some of the biggest movies with some of the biggest pressures, some of the biggest stars and the biggest directors and Robes. They have managed Robes, you said twenty sixteen. Yeah, these two have a foundation.
Speaker 4: They do and it was started in friendship, and they've both said that they were absolutely friends for quite some time before they ended up becoming romantic. We don't know when that happened, and we don't need to know, but I do appreciate that once they became official in the fall of twenty two twenty one, if you go on their instagrams on hers, they will show a few sweet posts here and there.
Speaker 5: It's not a lot.
Speaker 4: They give you just enough so that you are saying, oh wow, good for them, I'm so glad they're still happy together. But you root for them because it's not too much. There's just a fine line and each couple gets to decide how they navigate fame. But then each couple obviously has to deal with some of the polarizing reactions that you get when you do constantly put out content.
Speaker 5: And good for them if it works for.
Speaker 1: Them, Michaie Silva.
Speaker 4: That's where we fall on all of this, and with that, everyone, we always appreciate you listening to us.
Speaker 5: I'm Amy roback alongside TJ. Holmes full Ti