Speaker 1: Welcome to Off the Cup with me, se Cup. I have a great guest later in the show. She's my pal dem strategist, Karen Finney. She's going to walk me through some of the primary results from the week. There were big races, as you know, in California and Iowa and New Jersey. I covered those for CNN, but I'm excited to get her take on those races and how Democrats look.
Speaker 2: Heading into the midterms. This is, you know, important stuff.
Speaker 1: Speaking of midterms, they're fast approaching, and I got to be honest, I'm I'm not sure Republicans could be in a worse position, honestly. And I'm not saying that because I want it to be true, although I do I want Republicans to be punished for how shitty they've been. But I'm saying that because it's like the unavoidable conclusion when you look at how some of these races are shaping up, and how you know, the principle the head of the party, Donald Trump, is screwing them over royally and shows no signs of stopping the conditions which Republicans have by and large created for themselves. With Trump, the conditions are terrible.
Speaker 2: To be running. Let's just take it from the top.
Speaker 1: Every week, some Trump cabinet officials being dragged up to Capitol Hill to answer pointed questions from lawmakers about everything from the war Trump says is over. It's clearly not to ballroom spending, to doge to like personal you know, having to defend personal stuff. Acting ag Todd Blanche was just on the hill today talking about Epstein.
Speaker 2: So is Pam BONDI.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's not a great look for a cabinet and an administration that's already kind of beleaguered to have these guys having to defend themselves, their jobs, the administration Donald Trump, really stupid vanity projects like ballrooms. They're having to defend this shit on Capitol Hill every day. It's not a good look and it's not I projecting kind of strength and competence that you'd want a few months before an election if you're the party in charge. Meanwhile, some bad news this week on gas prices.
Speaker 2: Listen to this that I read in market Watch.
Speaker 1: US refiners are producing and exporting jet fuel at a record clip at the expense of their gasoline and diesel runs. A worrying mismatch is the summer travel season kicks into high gear and stockpiles dwindle. Refiners have moved quickly to stem what was expected to be a global shortage of jet fuel this summer, as the near standstill at the Strait of Horror Mouz continues and fresh US Runian clashes cloud hopes for a piece deal. The switch, however, has left US gasoline and diesel reserves below multi year averages, just as summer demand for both is gearing up, which could result in higher prices at the pomp and Americans who are already paying more than four dollars gallon on average for gas maybe left scratching their heads over the focus on jet fuel. So, in other words, because of Trump's done more and the closure at the Strait of Hormuz, there's been a surge and jet fuel at the expense of gas and diesel, So at your expense.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's that's.
Speaker 1: Great going into a midterm election. Call me crazy, I think that's great. And amidst that terrible news for Americans, what was Trump doing?
Speaker 2: On Wednesday?
Speaker 1: He held a press conference at the Oval Office, seemingly just so he could show off some new chart he had made up. It's a chart that shows again for some reason, how long the new reflecting pool will be compared to famous skyscrapers.
Speaker 2: Take a listen to this bizarre moment on.
Speaker 3: The reflecting pond or the reflecting pool as some people call it. Very important to us was the longevity, the having it so that it's not closed every day and all the are they.
Speaker 4: Just had this stunt. You're getting a first glimpse. But that's your size compared So those are compared to those are among the tallest buildings in the world, including the Empire State Building, World Trade Center, Sears Tower, Chicago. So if you lay it on its side, you'd take two or.
Speaker 5: Three of them to fill it in, because the width is very almost two hundred feet wide and actually much more than two thousand close to including everything, it's about two thousand, five hundred feet in length to the end.
Speaker 2: Like so what so what? Who cares?
Speaker 1: Who is going to the reflecting pool and being like is it taller though than the Empire State Building?
Speaker 2: How tall? How long is this? If I laid this building on its side, would it be longer?
Speaker 6: Who cares?
Speaker 2: How is this important to anybody? How is this worthy of a press? Conference.
Speaker 1: How is this worthy of anyone making this dumb looking high school diorama project chart? And if you're a vulnerable Republican, aren't you thinking like, what the fuck is he doing? I've said this many times before, I'll keep saying it. Trump does not care about the midterms, not even a little. He doesn't care if Republicans lose the House, lose the Senate. He doesn't even seem to care that he might not be able to get his agenda passed because he chose again no good reason to primary, say Republicans like John Cornyan and go after people like Tom Massey who now they're primaried out, but they stick around until November. Well, there's a whole lot of damage they can do between now in November, and.
Speaker 2: Especially now they have a grudge, like, how does was this?
Speaker 1: So listen, I think I can officially say welcome to Trump's lame duck presidency. It's been a while, I think since we've truly seen one, maybe even long enough in politics to maybe forget what one looks like. So let me take you back to the last second term lame duck presidency, which was Obama's in twenty fourteen. President Obama had around twenty fourteen just hit his lowest approval rating yet at forty percent. The midterm elections that year were an absolute bloodbath for Democrats. Republicans expanded their majority in the House by a net gain of thirteen seats, took control of the Senate with a net gain of nine seats. I think they also netted to two more gubernatorial wins, and they flipped a bunch of state houses. I mean, it was it was the definition of a red wave. So the predictions for the second half of Obama's second term were pretty bad. They were pretty fatalistic. Every headline was like Obama's lame duck era is going to be bad. As early as twenty thirteen, analysts were in fact calling his presidency effectively like a da twenty thirteen because he had seemingly spent all of his political capital getting the Affordable Care Act passed and implemented, which, as you recalled, did not go smoothly, and he suffered some early second term losses on things like the Bush air At, tax cuts, gun control efforts, immigration reform.
Speaker 2: Remember, like none of that happened.
Speaker 1: They thought we'll get to the second term after Obamacare and we'll get to do all the other things we wanted. And frankly, the things they promised Democrats they would do on guns and immigration and they just they just didn't. He instead ended up having to do a bunch of executive orders on thing like things like dreamers and stuff that didn't last very long because executive orders be undone and there were he didn't have a great relationship with Congress. Again, he'd really focused all of his attention entirely on the Affordable Care Act, and I forgot this, but I was looking back, and remember Isis I mean Isis was giving him a lot of trouble overseas we you know, kind of felt like he was responsible for fixing that and it just wasn't working. So a lot was going on, and it felt like there was just nothing left in the tank, or so it seemed. Obama actually ended up defying all the predictions of how lame his lame duck presidency was going to be. In twenty fifteen, he got a huge win when the Supreme Court, in a surprise I can say personally surprised from conservative Chief Justice John Roberts, ruled in favor of keeping Obamacare intact. Remember Republicans were arguing it was attacks and couldn't be implemented the way that Obama was trying to. Well, Supreme Court said, yes it can. That preserved Obama's signature legislation. Then he got the ambitious Transpacific Partnership Deal TPP. It was the world's biggest ever trade agreement, accounting for two fifths of the world's trade. That got fast tracked by a highly divided Congress. That was a huge win he was not, you know, guaranteed to get. He got another win in Cuba, where he secured an agreement to resume diplomatic relations after fifty four years of hostilities, signed the Iran Nuclear Deal, the JCPOA, which was designed to prevent Iran from developing nukes in exchange for sanction relief. Now, whatever you think of Obamacare, the TPP, the Iran Deal, all that stuff, and I was not a fan, Okay, it's hard to argue that Obama's final months in office were lame.
Speaker 2: They were not lame. They were very active.
Speaker 1: He managed to do a lot in those final months, and I think it as little as like a year. He'd managed to complempletely redefine the meaning of that term, so he did not have a.
Speaker 2: Very lame, lame duck presidency.
Speaker 1: Now we know, I bring all of this up about Obama because we know how much Obama tends to get in President Donald Trump's head, as the legend goes. After all, it was Obama's mockery of Trump at the twenty eleven White House Correspondents Dinner that provoked him to run for president, and ever since he has been fixated on Obama. He was even blasting Obama's Chicago Library Presidential Library with like petty petty jabs this month. Well, listen, Trump only wishes he were having the final few years that Obama did instead. Trump's lame duck presidency I think has arrived early. It's not a question of how lame it's going to be.
Speaker 2: It's early. I think we're here. Let me lay out the case.
Speaker 1: Trump's approval is plummeted since his auguration, dropping from fifty two percent. That's right, he came in with fifty two percent approval. You've got to remember that that is that's as close to, like, you know, coming in with a mandate as you can get in today's divided political landscape. Fifty two percent It's plummeted to thirty eight. His disapproval has shot up fifteen points since he came in this second term, and thanks in large part to his again dumb tariffs, dumb war in Iran. The midterms are looking so bad for Republicans that the party has resorted to mid census redistricting schemes that may may or may not pay off.
Speaker 2: We don't even know yet.
Speaker 1: Democrats could not only take back the House, but when the Senate, with candidates in red states like Texas, Iowa, and Ohio in real contention, then there are Trump's recent losses, a lot of them. The one point eight billion dollar slush fund is Justice Department proposed to pay out magaloyalists, including Jan six's insurrectionists, was met with such disdain from his own party he had to dump it.
Speaker 2: They were going to face some legal challenges.
Speaker 1: But people I spoke to inside the administration said they were pretty sure they would get past those legal challenges, so they dumped it because of political pressure from their own party. Four Republicans in the House just voted with Democrats to pass a war powers resolution directing Trump to withdraw military forces from Iran.
Speaker 2: That's not what he wanted.
Speaker 1: Republicans in both chambers have come out to condemn Trump's utterly absurd pick for D and I for Director of National Intelligence Bill POULTI, who has no relevant experience to oversee the nation's intel agencies. Because that's not why he's going there. He's not going there to do that job. He's going there to do another job. Trump wants to put him there, to install him there so that he can have access to everyone's information, so he can help prosecute political enemies and maybe help break an election. I think it's highly unlikely he actually gets that job again from pushback from Republicans. The fate of his billion dollar ballroom remains up in the air, as do the Trump battleships he's proposed. A judge rules cannot put his name on the Kennedy Center. His Freedom two hundred and fifty concert series collapsed as musical acts dropped out one by one, leaving like Vanilla Ice to headline if it happens at all. I mean, these are some humiliating losses, and they're back to back. It's a bad news cycle. And you know the crazy part. I remember he came in with fifty two percent approval. The crazy part is had Trump just pursued like normal policy wins for Americans instead of insane, vulgar, self interested nonsense, he'd surely be in a different position. Imagine if he hadn't, you know, talked about invading.
Speaker 2: Greenland for months or Canada.
Speaker 1: Right, Or imagine if he hadn't done all of these dumb tariffs or went to war with Iran Nobody asked for that. Just imagine if he hadn't done those few things. I think he'd be in a much different position. Instead of focusing on the economy and just making life better for most Americans, he's focused on legacy building and self dealing, putting his name on shit, putting his likeness on buildings and money, while Americans are struggling and his own party is starting to question the value of backing him unquestioningly, and like I said, he's made several of them enemies, just as he's looking to get their votes on cabinet and judicial appointments and on funding for wars and ballrooms and on important.
Speaker 2: Pieces of legislation. Like that was not smart.
Speaker 1: I didn't imagine that it would come this early before the midterms. Ye, but I think Trump's lame duck presidency has one thousand percent begne. There's stuff he's not being he's not able to get done.
Speaker 2: There's stuff he.
Speaker 1: Wants to do and cannot He's being stopped by his own party. I mean, this is the definition of a lame duck. That's what that's where he's at right now.
Speaker 2: And unlike Obama, doesn't it even look like he's interested in turning it around. Okay, after the.
Speaker 1: Break, let's talk about the Democrats with Democratic Strategists Karen Finnie. Don't go anywhere. Welcome back to off the cup. I want to bring in my friend Karen Finney. She's a CNN contributor at a Democratic strategist. She's the perfect guest to talk about some of the primary races that we had this week and whether the Dems can get get themselves across the finish line in in the midterms.
Speaker 2: Welcome Karen.
Speaker 6: Hi, So good to see my friend.
Speaker 2: You two, you're like the perfect person for this.
Speaker 1: There's a lot I want to I want to get your insight on and I you know what, I love this time because it feels like for as much trouble as I think the Democratic Party is kind of in Democrats are being real honest about what's going on, and that's helpful. That's helpful, I think for people to hear just some real honesty, and you're always honest. So I want to start. I want to start with the LA Mayor's race. Karen Bass Spencer Pratt finished in the top two.
Speaker 2: So they move on. What are your sort.
Speaker 1: Of top lines? What are you making of that race? And do you think Spencer Pratt can win in a city like La.
Speaker 6: You know, I actually went to Ucla and live there, and I know Karen Basso. I know the city pretty well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 6: LA's been through a rough let's say ten years, probably more than that. I mean between COVID and what's happening in the homelessness crisis. Fires, the fires obviously strike, so just a lot of things on top of each other that really came in succession. So that for I say that to say, I'm not surprised that this mayor's race is more competitive than you might have thought it would be because the mayors had to deal with a lot. The other thing that's quirky about Los Angeles is there are things that the mayor controls and things that people think she controls that she doesn't. And I don't just mean Karen Bets. I've seen this happen with other mayors where people are mad about something and you know, when you're spending your time having to explain, then you're not talking about what you've accomplished, and so there's a lot of frustration. I think people were hoping she would have made better progress with regard to homelessness, because she had big ideas, and she's made some progress, but not enough. The fires is the real pain point I think for people. Actually, I will say there is a real mood in the country and you're seeing a lot of I'm seeing this with democratic governors, you know, Josh Shapiro and Wes Moore talk about how they have signs that say, you know, let's cut through the shit, like let's get hypercensation, you know, let's cut three. You know, I don't want to hear about the red tape. I don't want to hear it like, let's get it done. And I don't think people Maybe people didn't feel that enough in LA and so we're open to you know, what I would consider a non traditional candidate, someone who's not of the system, who's not around city council. So I'm not surprised and he's he presents well. I mean, despite the coverage we've all we've seen about his past, he presents well and he certainly is channeling the anger that people are feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what blows my mind, and I had Spencer on the show. What blows my mind is like, where where's the Democrats?
Speaker 2: Spencer Pratt?
Speaker 1: Because I understand why he would be an unappealing.
Speaker 2: Candidate for an LA Liberal.
Speaker 1: He will point out all of his supporters are Democrats, but I understand coming from reality TV, there's like Trumpiness kind of around him, even though I think he's done a good job trying to separate himself. But I asked because I only think we're going to see more of this more Spencers if Democrats don't figure something out pretty quickly. He came into, as you say, a political establishment that he was not a part of. He pointed out, I think very obvious problems right, there's too much crime, homelessness, drug use. Democrats have overpaid the police unions, street lights aren't getting changed, roads aren't getting paved, and instead, like anyone could have said that Spencer's the one that said it, And it feels like Democrats are instead defending the status quo because there's they're defensive, right, Like Republicans do this thing where they go overboard talking about how liberal cities are burning to the ground.
Speaker 2: If you're a liberal city mayor, you say, listen, I've done a lot. Are Okay, we're not burned to the ground. But you end up defending the status quo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think as long as Democrats keep doing that, that's going to give rise for people like Spencer to come out and say what everyone can see with their eyes and ears and maybe get more traction than they should.
Speaker 6: What do you think, Well, I think that's an interesting point, especially because when you are the incumbent, it is hard not to have to be put in the position I'm having to defend. Although I always say, two candidates, let's talk about what more there is to do. It's okay to say, hey, we've gotten a lot done, but there's so much more I want to get done. Yeah, and I've heard her say that, but I think there can be more of that. And I'll tell you the other thing. If I'm thinking, I'm thinking a little bit about because the other thing LA has had to deal with was Ice and you know, the the Trump incursion, and it is interesting to see how the mayor of Baltimore and the mayor of Chicago really turned that into moments where people saw them not as any kind of as the incumbent, but as you know, the thing standing between them and Ice agents. And I don't know that I saw Karen have that kind of moment, and I'm not saying she didn't, and maybe I just didn't see it, but I just don't remember that's such And so I think that maybe the other thing is she needs some of these to be seen as a continuation of not just the status quo, but of you know, we're trying to get some things done here and we have more to do so. But again, it's a tough environment. I mean California in general, because we also talk about the governor's race, right I mean, we're gonna yeah, California in general is kind of a mess right now, and you know, it is anxiety.
Speaker 1: People feel like it's too expensive to live there, it's too expensive to work there. So you've got business is leaving Hollywood leaving. That's a huge, huge problem for LA in particular, and then you've got other systemic things. The problem I think for Democrats is that you can't blame Republicans.
Speaker 2: For any of it.
Speaker 1: No part of California has been run by Republicans for a really long time.
Speaker 2: So let's go to the governor's race.
Speaker 1: What do you make of the fact that it's Bessarah and Steve Hilton and that you could get a Republican governor.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's I think it's a similar phenomenon to we're seeing in the La mayor's race in that you have, you know, Javier Bessera's former age obviously Secretary of Health and Human Services, so he's a known entity in the state.
Speaker 2: Yes, but he's and let's be honest.
Speaker 6: You know, stylistically he's not as gregarious as colors. But I would say he's he's he's he's smart, he's reliable. I think you would do a great job. Okay, But I think you're seeing a similar thing where people are saying, well, maybe do we want something different? Maybe we do, Yeah, maybe we you know, And again I think it's a similar I think we're going to see this, frankly play out in a lot of places where can't I mean we can talk about Maine before his troubles, you know, Graham Platner was seen as that kind of you know, this sort of you know a lot of people calling it generational. I think there's a generational on into it, but there's also just a I think people are ready for something else. And I will say Trump is adding to that because I think a lot of people were kind of blanked out the parts of those feelings we heard people talk about, you know, when he was president the first time, of like I'm just tired of waking up and hearing about him. I need a.
Speaker 2: Break all the time, right, yep.
Speaker 6: And And now they're I think they're back in that feeling. And the economy is not good, and we're frustrated, and I think people are just we're finally maybe far enough away from COVID that we just what's next, what's the future. And so I think that is a very tough environment to be running in. And so I say that to say I am not surprised that someone like Outside Right could come in make a credible case, particularly if you have the financial resources to do so. You present well, you are channeling the anger that people are feeling. I think that's a really important piece. People are going to give you a hearing. And the things I'd say about the governor's race too, is you know, I mean Tom Steyer technically is an outsider, but he's been such a large presence in the state for so long. I don't think people saw him that way, the same way they might have seen they see Steve Hilton is something totally different.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so two things I want to ask you about, because you know this better than I do. Why do I keep hearing people talk about people from like Biden world kind of shitting on Biserah and being like that guy really, like, what what did he do that was so bad that in this incredibly important race you even have Democrats coming for him, not democrats who are running. Yeah, yeah, you know what don't I know about about Basera.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, as you could tell from the release of that autopsy, my parties having a moment where we just need to, you know, put on our big girl pants and cut the shit. But that's another thing.
Speaker 1: You said it, You said it, But like buying the world is chirping about how like unimpressed they were with Besara and I don't. That might be true, but like why is that important right now?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not, is the point. I mean, that's just petty, right. I mean that's why I say like he's not a particularly gregarious figure, but he is a he's solid. He did really good work in the state is ag. So again, the other thing I'd poured out is maybe, I mean unclear what was it that they wanted from him in the Biden world during his time at HHS that they didn't get because again, yeah, as a profile for a governor, he comes with a lot of the right kind of experience. That's a huge issue everywhere, particularly in California. So but he's again you know sometimes so maybe it's okay to just have somebody's going to just go in there, put their head down and get the work done right and isn't like a star And that's okay. And here's the other thing though, that we're the other dynamic that I think is in his favor and going to la this is a thing for Karen versus Platt that people also, particularly in more liberal areas, you got to show you can stand up to Trump and that you're going to protect us because people know whether it's medicaid cuts, whether it's you know, guy knows what's right, Ice, the big ugly bill, and all the things that are really governors are the ones who are really having to figure out how to readjust their budgets and deal with us. So I hope if I were advising Besarah, that is the argument that I would make rather than and point out that, look, Hinton is someone who is going to be beholden to Trump. I mean, just look at what's happening, for example, with the DOJ and Trump administration trying to get your voter data. Is democratic governors and ags who are saying, no, we're not handing it over. Republicans are slow walking it, but they're kind of doing it. So I think a good point. There's an argument to be made that says, hey, I'm going to protect us and get us through this.
Speaker 2: Okay. I want to go to Iowa, the Iowa Senate.
Speaker 1: We had a primary and tuesday, Josh Turuck handily defeated the sort of more anti establishment Democrat candidate in that primary.
Speaker 2: Can Democrats turn Iowa blue? This year?
Speaker 6: Let's hope that.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think I do you know two things, and this is another dynamic here. We also have a governor's race there. People feel real good about our gubernatorial candidate. So and I say that to say, as you know, particularly in a midterm year where you don't have a presidential that top the ticket, if that, if they can sort of help each other with turnout and get the right voters and sort of thinking about who are the voters we need to turn out in order to get this win. That's why I think it's a maybe. Also, I mean, I've just heard great things about him. He's a good candidate, He's you know, solid, Yeah, I like him. People seem to really like him. So I think that's the other dynamic we need to be keeping an eye on in a number of these states where you know, so for example, in Texas, one of the questions I have is, with Gina Najosa at the top of the ticket, does that help Latino turn out.
Speaker 2: For Tall Rico Ta Rico right know?
Speaker 6: Would be So I think that's the other thing we have to look at in some of these races.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, between Iowa and Turik, Texas and Tall Rico, Maine and Platner North Carolina and Roy Cooper, who's the likeliest pickup.
Speaker 2: Do you think in the Senate.
Speaker 6: I'd say Roy Cooper. Yeah, because he's so he's he is beloved and respected and trusted in uh North Carolina governor right right from becoving been governor, having been governor.
Speaker 2: He's well like writing by Republicans.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's hard to I mean, it's he's it's hard to run a nasty campaign against. I mean, you can attack him on I mean, I'm sure they'll find things, but point being, people generally thought he did a good job, right, so there's not they're not huge. Again, they'll find things, but again, he's so well liked and people saw him as a successful governor, so.
Speaker 1: They did, and he went through he was vetted by Kamala Harris for VP, so he went through some of that scrutiny when we were all talking. I think a lot of people only know Roy Cooper from that moment in twenty twenty four, so a lot of people got to know him a little bit. So he's got that. Okay, let's go back to Maine. Some more bad news this week for Platner. But but will it matter because there's I covered the New York City mayoral last year for battleground, and I saw it was a very similar race to me in that you know, Chuck Schumer and the Democratic establishment was in there trying to push Cuomo.
Speaker 2: Mumdannie was in there.
Speaker 1: Didn't care, didn't need, didn't need the help of the party, and all of the drip drip on Mamdani, the stuff he said about cops, the stuff maybe he had said about Jews, like voters didn't care. Some voters cared, but most voters thought, I don't care.
Speaker 2: He's new.
Speaker 1: I like his ideas. We're going to give him a shot. Will Platner get the same benefit in Maine? Or is it a very different situation.
Speaker 6: It's really it's very different. Here's the problem that Plattner has. Uh And I was just reading this morning because there's a whole new round of the back and forth about from one of the women who was in the New York Times story, And you know, the more we're talking about this, he's not Tawdrey. Yes it is. Yeah, here's the problem. Is I two things. It's less technically about the sexting, with the exception that if it is the case that any of these women, god forbid, there was you know, any abuse or assault or anything like that, then that is a very serious problem. Yeah, full stop. However, if we're talking about something that was happening in the context of a marriage where they've dealt with it, that's between them. I don't think people care about that. What they care about is this is not the first time. And when the edit post came out and about his tattoo and some of the other questions that people have had, and he said point blank to several journalists there's nothing else, there's no more. That's it. And what strikes me about this we have to remember he said that knowing that this was out there, because this story came from their own self.
Speaker 2: Research, Yes, their own APO, right exactly.
Speaker 6: I mean, as you know, for folks who don't know, right at the beginning of a campaign, you sit down and you say, Okay, here's all the horrible things that could come out about me, right.
Speaker 2: And you do it so that the other team doesn't do it, right.
Speaker 6: You, and you know that that is potentially out there. So he knew this was out there, and I don't understand why they didn't think, well, maybe that's one we should try to get ahead of. Yep, And here's the other thing I see that really has struck me about this. It's his response when it first came out, is very off brand, because he's positioning himself as, Hey, I'm that I've been in therapy, I'm this open, I'm an open book. I'm transparent, I you know, and he talked very eloquently about how having been in the infantry in his twenties it was a very macho culture, of very violent culture, and that he really is a different person today than he was then. I mean, just the openness really that plays into the brand that he.
Speaker 2: Is authenticity exactly.
Speaker 6: But then when this happens, he says, well, this is just gossip. Well, no, it was your self research, right, and why not just say this is an issue between my wife and I. It's not your business instead of trying to because you know, whenever people try to say, oh, there's nothing to see here, it's going to make people want that. Yeah. So three problem.
Speaker 1: I don't remember if I saw this in the Times. No, I saw this this morning. Just this one short paragraph on Platner. Platner's infidelity to his wife, whom he married in twenty twenty three, was reported on by The Wall Street Journal and Times last weekend. He has previously muddled through scandals about the Tottenkop tattoo that was emblazoned across his chest for almost two decades, as well as online comments in which he disparaged rural maners, suggested that victims of sexual assault bear responsibility for what happened to them, and mocked an American soldier awarded a purple heart for his bravery who was shot during a firefight with the Taliban. That sounds like Trump, Like the infidelity, the sexual harassment, the weird relationship to the you know, anti truth submitting sorry, yeah yeah, in ability to tell the truth, mocking soldiers like this is when you condense it and you put it all together.
Speaker 2: It's bad.
Speaker 6: It is bad. But again, I think people are willing to forgive you love. We love a story of how people change or transcend. I mean the fact that he has said, I I see I you know, I've listened to an interview we said, look, I see things differently now than I did then. I know what I knew that I've now been around people who and I understand their stories, and so I have a different perspective. That's powerful, and I think we should want leaders who have that capacity for self evaluation.
Speaker 2: If it's like it's if it's authentic.
Speaker 6: And then the fact that then this comes, I think is if anything, it makes people say, well is it authentic? And again, but here's the other dynamic in Maine that just from the interviews that I've seen conducted with Maners over the last several days, people also really want to defeat Susan Collins. So the question becomes our people exactly because some people did that with Trump too, and and you know, it's an interesting lesson, though, I will say for my party, because some folks tend to be real purists about you know, you've got they've got to be right on all these issues. And I can remember in twenty twenty four having conversations with voters and saying, but look, sometimes you don't agree with somebody on everything, and you decide who aligns closest with my value. But now, I mean, you know, it's been interesting to see people like Bernie Sanders have to you know, defend and it's like, look, the part of the argument is you may not agree with this guy on everything, you may have questions, and you may still vote for him.
Speaker 1: So maybe we should he's our only shot now against rights tend to be Susan Collins right.
Speaker 6: And I mean again, I'll tell you interesting in that. You know there there again this anti incummancy or anti you know, this ageist thing. Janet Mills has been a very good governor.
Speaker 2: She's a bowler.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she's beloved people. Remember she took on Trump and early on around.
Speaker 1: So why didn't she get traction because behind her too, Like, why didn't that work?
Speaker 6: I almost want sometimes if you again, it goes back to this incumbency people feeling like they want something different. Yep, and again I think you have to you can't. You said this, you can't defend the status quo, even if you are not inspiring. Yeah, it's not okay.
Speaker 2: I want to before we do a little flightening round. I want to end.
Speaker 1: Let's end on the Bidens back in the news this week because they just can't stay away. Jill's got a new book out, which is absolutely her right. She's been doing press for it. Again, that is totally her right, But she made some headlines for saying the first thing was that she thought Joe was having a stroke during the debate, and then continued to tell people who was fine, and she made some headlines for saying that Joe would have beat Trump had he stayed in the race, which is de Lulu. Yeah, listen, do you think that the Bidens because you know them? I don't do to think that the Bidens are just unaware of how unhelpful they are.
Speaker 2: Or do you think they are aware and don't care?
Speaker 6: Sadly, that's a serious question. No, that is the question.
Speaker 1: There's only two possibilities, Karen, Like I know, there's only two possibilities. They don't know that they're unhelpful, which is why they keep going out and talking the way they do, or they know and don't care, which is a possibility. To which do you think?
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 6: Hard to say. I don't think that. I don't think. Look, I question, like a lot of folks, why are we doing this now? Why are we writing a book? Yeah? I mean why? And I know when you write a book you don't always have control over when it comes out. Okay, but why are you writing a book at all? What are you trying to accomplish? And part of me wonders if to some degree it is about trying to define his legacy, define her legacy. I get that me too, But you're going to have to be a little more if you going to make that choice. Then understand that the main question here the questions people are going to want to have answered, And here's what is going to be credible, And here's what's going to really stress credibility to the point that I actually think this hurts them. Frankly, Like if we hadn't had this conversation this week, God forbid. And I do love Joe Biden, but I would rather we get to remember him for the good things that he has done for this country and his service to this country. Yeah, then having conversations about like ough, and then there was the but, and then there was the because it's just you know, I'm sorry, it's just not credible to say it's not you.
Speaker 2: He would have won, right, No.
Speaker 6: No, And by the way, let me just tell you, having been on the inside of the mechanics of that race, he also would not have won because they had not done the fundamentals in terms of reaching out to the autopsy said this, and I was just joking with some of the other day, It's like our side, it's been the same thing for so long. You've got to get to young voters, black and brown voters earlier consistently don't take us for granted, don't parachute in Nope, And they had they hadn't even set that up yet, right, So why do you think that was because I think they were running an old style campaign. I don't think they were. I think there were a lot of bad decisions being made and not connecting with where the country really was in terms of you know, look, we're seeing Trump struggle with it now, trying to tell people things are great when that's not what they're feeling and not. And look, the other issue that I had was I really thought it was powerful for Joe Biden to say he would be one term. He would be a bridge.
Speaker 2: Me too, thought Karen. That's how he got my vote.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've heard you voted for.
Speaker 1: Him because he said I'll be one I'm not going to be a transformational president.
Speaker 2: I'm a transitional president. Great like I.
Speaker 6: Was in one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I felt betrayed, Yeah, and he decided to run again.
Speaker 6: I did too, And like a lot of folks, I also felt you know, people that I know who were in that campaign who looked me in the eye and said he's good he's fine. Come on, guys, don't do that, don't you know, don't.
Speaker 2: What are conversations with those people like today?
Speaker 6: They are tense. I mean, we didn't get it's very straight. Yeah, because it's you know, and I would imagine some of them were probably rolling their eyes this week with this conversation about the book, because they also want to just let's move on, let's move on, let's go to let's get to the next race.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, well, thank you for sharing all of that. I really do appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Before we go, we like to end on an exit poll and a little mental health minute with a series of questions of varying degrees of seriousness.
Speaker 2: So I appreciate we were all right, we were you outright? These are varying degrees of seriousness.
Speaker 1: Okay, First, what is your favorite movie about politics?
Speaker 6: Oh? All the President's Men. It's a good one. It's such a good. It's such a good.
Speaker 1: I love it because it's about politics and journalism. It's like, yeah, perfect, yes, it's just combination.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's so and it's so instructive. I mean, it teaches you a lot about how power works in this town. Even today. It holds up.
Speaker 2: You're so right. Who was the best fictional president?
Speaker 6: Oh gosh, oh Bartlett?
Speaker 2: Yeah, West Wind West which Bartlett.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say, Dave, But Dave's so good.
Speaker 1: Dave is so underrated because the premise is so absurd, and I think people like write this movie off is it is fantastic, and Kevin Clyde and Charles Groden and so Gourney Weaver are like so good in it.
Speaker 6: It was adorable, like it was so cool good. Yeah, it was such a cool movie.
Speaker 1: I've always since that movie, which is ancient now, but like I've always imagined that there is this like hospital under the White House.
Speaker 6: Where I don't I don't. I don't think there is. But let me tell you, the med Unit is pretty pretty well stocked. So I've heard that. I've heard that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, what is Karen Finney's Guilty Pleasure?
Speaker 6: Candy Crush? For sure? Yeah, and just bad stupid TV. Although not, but I'll tell you what I really love to do. Like I've rewatched Shit's Creek. Yeah, there's a comedian named Leanne Morgan. She has a comedy special and she has a show on Netflix that I just rewatched.
Speaker 2: I'm huge right now.
Speaker 6: Oh, my god, and she's so funny. Yeah, And so any comedy is really what I'm into right now, just because it's mindless. It's a little mindless, and we need it. We need it so badly, we know. Yeah, I mean there are times I'm listening to it and my dog will look up, you know, and I'll start laughing at my dog is even looking at me, like, what's the matter with you?
Speaker 2: So, oh, judge me dog?
Speaker 6: Yeah, come on.
Speaker 1: What is your advice to Democratic voters who are feeling less than enthusiastic about where the party is at right now?
Speaker 6: I would remind us that, ultimately, and this is going to sound hokey, but it's what I really believe, particularly after what we have seen this year, we have more power than we realize. We have the power to decide who we want representing us, and if you don't like who is in the race, then run yourself or find someone else to run. And I think it's also important for us to remember that part of our job as voters and as citizens is to hold our leaders accountable. You know. One of the things that has been so frustrating, obviously as a Democrat looking on the Republican side is they seem to feel so impervious to their voters, and I hope that part of what happens in the general elections is that that falters, that they actually are held accountable for the time where they're not even making good decisions for the people they represent.
Speaker 1: Karen, it's the most frustrating thing for me to and I say this all the time, that Republican voters hold Donald Trump and Republican leaders to a much lower standard than Democratic voters hold their leaders.
Speaker 2: Democratic voters were mad at Joe Biden. They told him that, and they voted accordingly. They voted that way.
Speaker 1: Republican voters don't care when they are lied to their faces. They don't care about hypocrisy. They don't care that the guy they love said something totally different five minutes ago than he's saying right now. That is so frustrating for someone in the media, but also for you know, whose job it is to like parcel all of this, but also as a conservative, I just I can't make sense of I can't penetrate the voter who doesn't care that they're being lied to and hurt. Yeah, it's a phenomenon, it is, And.
Speaker 6: Look, I think part of it. We know, you know, it's hard to make you maybe we're or you got duped. And I think people may you know, it's kind of back to something we were saying before. People make choices. They say, well, I don't like all these things, but yes, right this, but now I feel like, okay, but he's not doing well in the economy, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: All the things you said you cared about, he's not doing any of those things for you.
Speaker 6: Here's the other thing I will say to democratic to all voters. Really, and this goes to something that Joe Biden said and I think is still true. We are in a fight for the soul of this country. I mean, we are in a moment of are we going to be a multi racial democracy where we protect our freedoms, our rights each other, we keep neighbors our neighbors, we move forward as a country or not, because if that's what the Constitution was supposed to be, obviously they didn't get it right the first time. And we've been tweaking it right. Giving women the right to vote, and black people and Latinos and all of it, workers rights, all of it. That is the project of America. And I feel like here we are in this two hundred and fiftieth year of our country, and there's a big question of what is your American story? Because every one of us has our own story, and I want us to remember that in this moment, in this year, and to use our power and to vote, because it really is. It sounds so simple, but it really is powerful. And especially if you look at what's happening with the Voting Rights Act and the impact that that is having across the South. Ye, you know, we've got to stand up like never before and make our voices heard. And look at what the people in Minneapolis did, right, I mean, that's we owe it to each other, to ourselves, to the future of this country to have that kind of courage in this moment.
Speaker 1: Well said, okay, just a couple more. Should Ken Martin step down from the DNC?
Speaker 6: Oh boy? So, I think there's got to be a hard come to Jesus with whoever his inner. You know, I know some of the people who talk to him regularly to really say, to be real clear eyed about what his job is going to be because it's the midterms. But very quickly, having been there in a cycle like this, it's going to be about the DNC and the presidential Yes, and to my mind, so setting aside the autopsy, are you The question I have for him is are you prepared to step up and do what needs to be down to make sure we have a fair process, a process that people believe in, can get inspired in, and really put forward a democratic party that's offering a vision. Because it's hard. It's going to be a hard cycle with a lot of different big personalities running. So I just want him to be clear eyed about that because I I feel like he came in maybe thinking the job was one thing, and it's been seeing it's maybe something. I certainly think it's different than what how I think he's running it. Yeah, I'd like to see him really you know. And that's going to be a little bit of humility too.
Speaker 1: By the way, Yep, what's your favorite thing about summer? We're coming up on summer? Oh, be looking forward to.
Speaker 6: The beach. The beach in the summer, the waves, love it, the salt water, you know what.
Speaker 1: I love salt water on my skin and my hair. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So it's just it just feels nourishing.
Speaker 2: I don't know why. Maybe it's not, but I love it. Okay.
Speaker 1: Finally, this is the last question we ask it at the end of every pod. It's very important to me personally. When is it iced coffee season?
Speaker 6: I mean, come on, it could almost always be ice coffee.
Speaker 2: Seasons, because what you need, it's not almost always.
Speaker 6: Okay, it's a correct answer.
Speaker 2: That's a correct answer.
Speaker 6: It's it's I'm but you gotta know, I'm very into like, especially being a little older in the in this world. I'm like, if I want an ice cream, I'm gonna have ice cream. If I want an ice coffee, I'm gonna have an ice coffee. And I don't care if it's ten degrees outside, so I.
Speaker 2: Don't care if it's before Memorial Day.
Speaker 6: I don't give a shit.
Speaker 2: I'm doing what I want.
Speaker 6: There's like, why why not? Who's gonna Who's gonna like you know, the coffee Cosey come get you.
Speaker 2: I love that. Karen Finny.
Speaker 1: So great to have you on and get all of your insights on all of this.
Speaker 2: I really do appreciate it.
Speaker 1: You were the perfect guest for today, and I hope to see you again before elections.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I hope.
Speaker 2: So that's it for us. Thanks for tuning. In We'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: Off the Cup is a production of iHeart Podcast as part of the Reason Choice Network.
Speaker 2: If you want more, check out the.
Speaker 1: Other Reason Choice podcasts, Politics with Jameel Hill and Native Land Pod.
Speaker 2: For Off the.
Speaker 1: Cup, I'm your host Si Cup. Editing and sound design by Derek Clements. Our executive producers are me Si Cup and Lauren Hanson. Rate and review wherever you get your podcasts, Follow and subscribe for new episodes every week.