Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: Welcome to you, and that's what you really miss podcast Hot Takes, Hot Takes, Get you Hot Takes. It's Hot Takes, guys.
Speaker 2: I would like to start off this round of hot Takes, and we're joined by Telly again.
Speaker 3: Hello, Tech, you're rid of me?
Speaker 4: Like Herb's back back back again.
Speaker 2: Artie's number one defense lawyer, Alexa has given us a voice message, and I would like to start off this Hot Takes by.
Speaker 4: Listening to that.
Speaker 5: Hi, Jenna and Kevin, it's Alexa, your local Arty defense attorney, here to clock in for my shift at the Hot Take Factory. And to nobody's surprise, my hot take that I come armed with is that Artie was not as bad as some fans, including you, Kevin, make him out to be. Okay, I said my piece a little bit on your podcast last year when I was a guest. But we're circling back, okay, because I think it needs another I think we need another go at it. I think that, like every other boy on this show, already had his questionable moments. I'm not excusing that specifically. You know what he said in Lights Out Powered Madonna.
Speaker 6: Et cetera.
Speaker 5: Okay, but I do think that there were other characters on the show cough cough Finn who said equally bad, if not worse things, just as often as already did. But I just think that Finn was given the proper screen time where we've got to see him kind of close the loop on that, we got to see him apologize, we got to see him learn from his mistakes, where often for ARTI it was just kind of like brushed under the rug, like shown as a one off comment that he wasn't sorry for, didn't learn his lesson from, et cetera. But I think that with the ample screen time that he could have had, we could have seen another side of Artie and Kevin Kevin McHale. On the last Hot Takes episode, what really got my blood boiling, okay, was when you were saying that you think that Artie would, if he was a live boy in twenty twenty five, would be participating in in cell behavior and listening to podcasts with redacted naves that I will not say as so as to not draw more attention to them, but that just really appalled me because I think that if we're considering Arty as upon in today's political climate. We have to remember that he is part of a marginalized community. Okay, he is affected by this legislation that is being passed and or on the chopping block that was passed forty years ago. Right, Section five oh four is on the table once again to be repealed in some states, and that would essentially strip Artie's ability to go to school with his able bodied friends.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: So I don't think that ARTI is supporting those kinds of political agendas, right just because he may. He wasn't the best boyfriend when he was sixteen.
Speaker 6: Are we following?
Speaker 5: Are we following? Okay, I just wanted to say that I, as the number one arety defender, maybe even the number one already fin in the world. Really don't agree with that, and I'm open to further discussion, but I just really wanted to put that out there and get that off my chest.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Oh the defense rest Oh my god, keep her on retainer.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I mean yeah, the Jerry's back and you win, right, beautiful, that was really beautiful receipts Section five oh four.
Speaker 4: And you're right he was. He was shitty when he was sixteen, we all are. I think Alexa brings up a good point screen with the screen time and the character, right, So there's a lot of yeah, okay, so Finn's a lead, right, so Finn's gonna get a certain amount of time, and Arty is a supporting character. But also I think there's there's something about Artie is also like a bit more of like, I don't want to say it, like there's a gimmick there, but I think they like there's a there's a there's a deliberate choice to kind of like up end stereotypes when it comes to Artie, right, because he's this nerdy, disabled person, so you think that he's, you know, I don't know, take whatever stereotypes you think they're gonna be, but really it turns out that he's this very self assured, engaging kind of person, right. So I think that that is in the early years, I think that's what was being played with with Artie was that like, oh, he is actually kind of a hot shot and he so so I can see where that maybe gets a little muddled and where he maybe gets a bad rap because he like was doing shitty things. But I also think it was like in exploration of being like of kind of breaking the mold of like what a disabled nerdy character it must be on TV.
Speaker 2: That's right, justice for Artie. I mean Ryan always hated the nerdy thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think that, you know, and that that's and that's another thing you kind of like realize in life, is that like nerds aren't really nerds anyway, Like there's no such like it's you.
Speaker 3: Know, no maybe in school, but yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, definitely like not the worst, not the worst.
Speaker 3: No, go off, Alexa.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go off again, Alexa. That was beautiful, Thank you, Alexa.
Speaker 2: Pe Hudson's Miss July had no business teaching at Nihada. She was not pushy. She was a bully.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, she was a bit she was a bit bullyish. Yeah, she was a bit bullish. I mean they tried to like redeemer in the in the second half of her arc, which I do think it worked, but because it's hard to hate her, like she's so good, but I do think that she was and we I think we've talked about this, like there are theater teachers like that in real life, like not that they're not bullies, but like they are very tough.
Speaker 4: What's her backstory? Was she like a performer that didn't.
Speaker 3: Yes, she went off on somebody because they had their cell phone, and she like her career.
Speaker 4: That's funny, that's very I feel like that. Yes, definitely, which is so funny because like you look at Patti Lapo and it's like that only ever made her more loved.
Speaker 3: Exactly, this is nice. Actually this isn't even like I wouldn't consider it's a hot But Lauren was Puck's best relationship. She challenged him and made him better.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I always love those two together. Yeah. We should have.
Speaker 2: Seen Shelby and April sing a number together.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, so yeah, I mean that would have been freakingda I don't know how happened. I don't either. It was so funny too at the time because I was I'm such a theater kid, and it's like being there on the set and it's like one week it's Kristin Chenowith and the next week it's at and then and it's like, can we all just can we just all do one together.
Speaker 3: And everybody together?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Exactly.
Speaker 4: A video village, you guys tell us stories about can you.
Speaker 3: Just like get off on stage in perform for us altogether.
Speaker 4: That would have been such a dream. But there were both such I mean real standout guest stars.
Speaker 2: Yes, definitely, camera totally.
Speaker 4: I mean in the most episodes of any guest star uncle. I think she had like really episodes. Yeah, of the special guest stars.
Speaker 3: Fun fact, I will say the story of the baby storyline went on a little too long for my liking. But okay, this is one Cheerios should have gone bring it on style episode for one of their competitions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would have been so cool, like a bottle epic or not a bottle episode, but like a stand a lot of episode even like, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's the spin off right there, that's your back door pilot.
Speaker 4: That is great, that's you who's going to type the scene? It could still happen, I know, right.
Speaker 3: Going along with that, somebody says that Sue Silvester was a better teacher and at times a better person than will she start.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of this that I love, all the trans representation, but Coach Beast in season six felt forced them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, there was that to me too. We need that, you know, especially when and you know, I think that there's no one trans experience. There's no one experience in the world. So but especially because there was so much we'd already spent time discussing beasts, beasts in her relationship to her femininity and how she didn't feel and I don't know, maybe it is linked, but for some it did seem a little bit. It did seem a little bit out of out of left field. But then again, like who knows, you know, people are who they are and they have their struggles until until they write what they need to do.
Speaker 2: So no, Michael Rachel did not need to throw the temp tantrum when Santana got understudy. I'm glad you did because I love those I think that I think I would have. I would have been like, give me my own thing, Well, you gotta stuff on my toes?
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 2: My god, another one blam should have been explored. I don't care. Sam was buying Quinn's a lesbian.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I love where the fandom has taken this whole, Quinn Quinn's queerness thing.
Speaker 2: My hot take is that Jake's best song was Unchained Melody. I listened to it. I mean it incredible.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Mercedes singing Try Little Tenderness is not talked about enough.
Speaker 4: I guess I think singing anything is not talked about it.
Speaker 2: You know why you get we take her for granted exactly because there's so many numbers, so many solos that she has that you can put her in any situation, any genre of music, and then it's just really so good that we're used to it, especially now we're in the back half of five, where like she's just getting solos left and right, and like they're always good, but because there's so many of them, it's.
Speaker 4: Hard for them to stand out. They sort of run together. But that's sort of fun. I mean another example of art imitating life right where that's sort of like was a lot of part of Mercedes storyline is that she was kind of sidelined and taking advantage.
Speaker 3: Of Yes, this is a hot take, The episode with Roots before Branches should have been this yerarious finale.
Speaker 2: Oh damn, is that the the end of three?
Speaker 4: Three? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that would have been a crazy series finale that would have been an iconic.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine that I ever saw Glee? I mean, it would have come back, we would have had a reboot. By now.
Speaker 2: My hot take is that season four is my fabe season hot take. That's a I mean, i'd like there's some good furs in that. Now there is that four. We were pleasantly surprised by four. Yes, okay, that's.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Glee hot take. Mister Shoe really is not that like cringey or like weird. And sure, a lot of his songs and a lot of his actions and maybe like some of his stuff is like questionable now in the year twenty twenty five, but I think he has good intentions. And maybe that's just me being in love with Matthew Morrison. But you know what, whatever, whatever, it's fine, it's fine. But that's like everything on TikTok nowadays is just like mister Shee needs to go to jail, mister Shoe being super uncomfortable. I fully disagree, and I support mister Shoe and all of his decisions.
Speaker 7: Kind of sorry, I don't disagree with that, no, And it's really it's it's consistency of character too, because like Shoe is the kind of person that would be like I'm.
Speaker 4: Gonna do the throng song for all your I guess he does it for someone else, but you know, like I think like he I think he's so excited about what he's doing that like he's going to try to relate to these kids no matter what. Yeah, And I think he's also still playing out a bit of his own high school thing, so I think he feels in touch with that. But yeah, I think that there's always that's the thing about mister Schuster, always the best of intentions. I think like it becomes a plot point when he debated a good path, you know, true, so it's like there is never anything bad. I think it just comes from like a yeah, just like an over excited attempt to relate to these.
Speaker 2: Kids, attempt being the key word. Let's do another one.
Speaker 6: My ottest take is that Will and Emma were totally robbed Engley, And by that I mean that we barely got to see any of them and they are like the best characters in the whole show, like as a couple, and I'm really sad about that, like the fact that in season five they ended up becoming pregnant and then we never saw her again. I was like, what is up with that? It would have been so interesting to see like a storyline with Emma being pregnant and like battling with OCD at the same time, that would have been really interesting. I just think they're amazing and they barely got any screen time at all. So yeah, that's my take.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll always take more Gama.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I would love to see that, though the pregnancy storyline would have been great.
Speaker 4: I think that, you know, I think the balance of Glee was at the beginning was between you know, mister Schuster's personal life and then the school life of the Glee quietly Glee Club. And it's just by season five and had splintered into so many new environments and things, and people had gone to so many levels that I think like finding space for their domestic life in the world of new kids at the school. We're now on Broadway, we're now at Niata, we're now in film school. It's like, I think it was just too much on the plate, and it seems like maybe it was the easiest thing to leave, because it's kind of feels like a nice bo right, Like you can read it in that way. They finally got together and they're going to have their happy life together, and we can let them ride off into the sunset and show up, you know, when they need to show up. Rather than because you know, I think exploring the focus of exploring. Now these young adults are in the real world, Like I think that's where the focus wanted to be. So these domestic storylines back at home just didn't really match up.
Speaker 2: I do remember like Will and Ms season one were just oh.
Speaker 4: Well and Cherry and all the terry of it all too is like so integral to the show.
Speaker 3: Oh, it was so good.
Speaker 4: And like I think it just outgrew that in a way because the kid Yeah, a lot of ways, the kids came up, right, they all everyone really stepped up and became such real rat well rounded characters that it was like, well we got to give we got to give screen time to all of these people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, for sure, Lly, thanks for joining us on AH, it's a pleasure to have you.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm so happy to be here and so happy you guys are carrying the torch for greed, you know, on on the podcast and always happy to join.
Speaker 3: You, always will always have you Lly, Love you guys, and thank you guys for writing in and sharing your hot takes. Some of us they are just that so hot and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: That's what's really missed thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.