Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center. Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty arm.
Speaker 2: Strong and Jetty and he Armstrong and Getty Strong. Hey, I'm Strong and Getty. We're featuring our podcast One More Thing. Find it wherever you find all your.
Speaker 3: Podcasts, drama in real life.
Speaker 4: What was the last time you took over the One More Thing podcast?
Speaker 5: What was that one about? Was that your health? Say?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was type two diabetes?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: That was an interesting story, unfortunate for you, obviously interesting.
Speaker 5: How is that going by?
Speaker 7: That's going very well? Actually, now I have a funny story about that. They want to pump me forward. They wanted to give you a bunch of drugs, and I said, I will change my diet, I will exercise.
Speaker 6: I've been doing all these things.
Speaker 7: And one doctor said no, no, no, no, you got to be on these drugs for life. And I've been able to do it without it pretty much, and so I'm not going back to that doctor.
Speaker 5: Two interesting things about that.
Speaker 4: One, I think the doctor's recognizing reality that like ninety five percent of people don't do anything about their diet. But two, the fact that they would push the drugs on you rather than like really push the diet part.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was just reading about the incredible pressure that is on doctors now to see thirty seven patients in a single day, and they are just pushed and pushed and pushed by their corporate overlords.
Speaker 5: And so this doc, I don't know, you're Doc Michael, and I'm just.
Speaker 3: Guessing, but it could be he's thinking, I don't have time for the You got to take care of yourself, and here's how lecture. And then when you hem and haw say all right, here's the other alternative, blah blah blah, or why didn't you come back and see me in a week because you can't get an appointment for three and a half months. So he just thinks, let's cut to the chase. Take these pills, get now, get I gotta go.
Speaker 5: See thirty six more patients. Well there's that.
Speaker 4: And then not to be the conspiracy guy, but I mean, if you prescribe medicine, somebody's paying for it and somebody's receiving money, so.
Speaker 5: There's got to be some incentive.
Speaker 4: Someone might not be the doctor, but there's got to be an incentive somewhere along the line to have you taking drugs as opposed to eating better?
Speaker 5: Right? I mean, people make money if you don't eat better.
Speaker 6: I was told that they have medical reps come by all the time.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, promoting drugs now Well and big Pharma allegedly.
Speaker 5: And I don't know whether this motivates people a little or a lot.
Speaker 3: We'll have a four day conference on how Zunetra can help your patients. It's in Maui. It's at the fourth Seasons. There's a twenty five minute meeting each morning where you talk about Zunetra. Then you're free for the rest of the day expenses paid.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I haven't talked about this in years, but I used to be friends with somebody who was a pharmaceutical rep and just lived two houses down for me, and so she would book these really excit spensive dinners at the most expensive place in town. But if they didn't have all the seats filled, they were gonna get paid for anyway. She'd say, hey, I got two extra seats. So we would go and eat the meals and hang around. And sometimes I'd have to like kind of pretend I was a doctor or.
Speaker 5: Something like that. If somebody asked me a question.
Speaker 4: But they were getting wined and dined at the most expensive place in town with the open bar and everything like that. To tell them about some drug and there'd be a five minute slideshow about the drugs and then you get like a three hundred dollars meal for free. Oh I'd make hay with that opportunity. Man, I'd turn to my left and say, what do you prefer? Viruses or bacteria?
Speaker 8: Oh my god, to be at the same table with you two pretending to be doctors.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 4: I was always dreading if somebody actually asked me if fractures there's something, aren't they.
Speaker 5: I don't know what I would say. Oh, I tell you what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hate to see it, but you gotta deal with it. M So I told him, don't do that anyway. Let's wait for the stake to show up. Oh the other thing there? I knew there were there were actually there was another thing.
Speaker 5: Now forgotten it.
Speaker 4: I'm Joe Biden, like man, I do notice when I don't get enough sleep that I can't remember near as well my sentences now, my sentences in the middle, and I can't finish.
Speaker 5: I can't remember the end.
Speaker 4: The oh, the direct relationship between eating better and your your body changing or getting better numbers. Even though that's obviously clearly true, I'm always still somewhat surprised, like I eat really good and look I'm a couple of pounds lighter, or the opposite, I eat really bad and I'm a couple of pounds every year. It's just, even though I know it's true, to see it like in black and white in front of me is always just a little something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like the old I feel better after a drink or two the next morning than I did after the night I had seven. I'll be damned, I've only learned that lesson five million times.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: Anyway, what's your tale today, Michael?
Speaker 7: Okay, So here we go yesterday, ha to get my teeth cleaned. And I have a very good dental hygienist who I've had for years. He's really gentle, she does teeth well, she doesn't no hurt.
Speaker 5: No pain. Nice.
Speaker 7: So I show up the dentist yesterday and it turns out she's not there, and I had to know this. She goes, we have somebody else though that will take you. And so I get this person and let me put it this way. I'm still tasting blood today from them scraping.
Speaker 5: Brunhilda the cruel.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 4: No, nobody in this scenario speaks English. And it was in a garage and Rielnda correct, No, no, no, actual dental practice.
Speaker 6: Actual dental practice. Good place.
Speaker 7: But I don't know if this was a new employee or what the deal was, but uh, she was really rough.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: You put the tube in to suck the water out, and she was just jamming it down there.
Speaker 6: Physical reaction, this was crazy.
Speaker 5: When did she leaves?
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 7: And then I guess she got behind on our schedule, and so the doctor had come to her and said, said, you know, is he almost done? She goes, well, it's gonna be a few minutes, just a few minutes. And then all of a sudden, she starts putting the Paul Show my teeth and rubbing as fast as you can, starts grabs the water and just starts squirting my mouth.
Speaker 6: You know, just it's just crazy.
Speaker 5: So wow, that's terrible.
Speaker 3: So you pick your wash, yeah, literally, so just we're running out of time. So you picked up the poker and you stabbed her with it, and you wonder what were you in the right.
Speaker 6: Somebody that doesn't like conflicts.
Speaker 7: So I just held on for dear life and I just put up with it and I'm fine, But I'm debating do I call him and let them know, Hey, this person was really rough. This is terrible because I got to go back there in a few months and it was really painful.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, asked two questions.
Speaker 4: The first one I've had before where it's like the last person's better at this, but I don't want to make another appointment. I need to get this done now, and so it's not just conflict avoid and it's like the reality of trying to get the person you like better. So that's that's one thing. But then the complain, Hell, y is I'm complaining?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 7: It was funny is during the whole procedure though, she goes like, yes, you're just laying there. She goes, I take that as a compliment. It means that I'm not hurting you. And I'm thinking, is this a common thing? Are people saying to her?
Speaker 5: If you scream? She thinks everything's going fine. Yes, that's a really weird thing. She said, that's so odd.
Speaker 8: I would definitely call Michael and maybe just say something along the lines of could I not be with this individual next time because that was.
Speaker 5: A little uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I would go ahead and say why it was extremely uncomfortable. It was the most painful cleaning I've ever had say that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's perfectly reasonable to say.
Speaker 4: It's like when I used to talk about my man Pong the phlotomus draw blood for me. I would always call and see if Pong was there because he could do it where you didn't feel a thing. And I love Pong, but he quit and uh, and other people aren't as good. But I've never had anybody jab me in the side of the year with the needle and say sorry about that.
Speaker 7: I just want her to look at me next time I go and say, oh, you're the one that called. You're the one that got me in trouble, or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my brother, don't think it would go like that. I told the story years ago when my brother went into the hospital is here here in the local area, and man, the president of the hospital, ended up meeting me in the parking lot. After I told this story on the air, they were so worried. But anyway, they were trying to put an IV in my brother, and the guy just kept having to do it over and over and over again and jab him over and over again. And my brother's incredibly stoic as a military dude and all that sort of stuff. It's part of his whole personality that he would never ever act like anything hurt underneath circumstance.
Speaker 5: But they really guy was it. And the guy actually says to him, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: I was at the casinos really late last night and just.
Speaker 4: Kept jo oh, and I was like, dude, you gotta tell someone.
Speaker 5: Nah.
Speaker 8: The only time I've ever had someone miss I know. Oh, we're into the Oh yeah, it's good for you. Oh yeah, she missed three times and I went three strikes and you're out.
Speaker 5: You're done.
Speaker 8: I'm not doing this again. And I walked out, made another appointment. This was before it took eight months to get your blood drawn.
Speaker 5: Though, But yeah, wow, wow.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because getting back to the whole doctors more than dentists. But it's just in my lifetime, the whole doctor patient relationship has evolved from I know you for years and years. You're like my partner in health. There's a great deal of respect for you. There's concern for me. Now, it's more like getting a burger out of a fast food joint. To some extent, I've got a great doc right now, but I've had a couple that were terrible, that were just they well, it was like eating a burger from a fast food joint.
Speaker 5: So I don't you know, Michael, I would.
Speaker 3: I would remember, you're a customer who's paying a great deal for a service, and there are other service providers and dentists are are skilled people and they're airing and the rest of it.
Speaker 5: But they're not They're not gods, they're not priests.
Speaker 4: I don't think this would be a bad way to handle you say, this is a deal I make with everybody. Whatever you do to me, I'm gonna do to you. So just keep that in mind.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's an idea.
Speaker 4: I brought my tools, and so you know you might own to think that over.
Speaker 5: You show up with your own tool, right and you say, I'm gonna give as much pain as I get. Somebody's get started.
Speaker 4: If it to you, exactly, it's because of your move. Ball is in your court. If I feel nothing, you feel nothing.
Speaker 6: That's what I'll do.
Speaker 7: I'll walk up the receptionist, scrape your teeth a little bit.
Speaker 6: Say does that hurt? Well, guess what that's what she did to me?
Speaker 5: Plot your hose, spray her with it, right a face? How do you like it? Eh?
Speaker 4: Okay, hold still, lady, you're gonna feel a little pressure.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe Armstrong.
Speaker 6: And Getty show.
Speaker 3: So maybe became aware of this meme, this clip that went viral. As they do, I'm gonna start saying that just to annoy people the clip went viral. Oh, let's start with the number six. This is the lady standing next to the partition in the plane, looking back toward the back section of the plane, chewing somebody out.
Speaker 9: I'm telling you, and there's a reason be it or you not believe it. And I am telling you right now there is not real, and you can tell it not.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to it's a little while now.
Speaker 4: And I just saw a little bit of it, and there was something about the pitch of her voice.
Speaker 5: I just thought, I'm out. So I haven't paid any attention to it.
Speaker 3: Attractive white girl pointing to the back of the plane, saying.
Speaker 5: This m effort is not real.
Speaker 8: The bast part is when the entire plane. They all turn around to look at what is she talking about?
Speaker 3: Is what?
Speaker 5: Not real? What do you mean? Not real? Not real? And then she hit some with you can die on this plane, but I'm not. I'm getting off. Who's not real?
Speaker 3: So you know, it obviously lent itself beautifully to various memes about you know, who was on the who was in the plane that was not real?
Speaker 5: Or what she meant and that sort of thing. It exploded as those things do. Well.
Speaker 3: Here she is, I guess her name's Tiffany, which is perfect. She's explaining what the hell happened?
Speaker 11: First and foremost. I want to take full accountability for my actions. They were completely unacceptable. Distress or not I should have been. I should have been in control of my emotions and.
Speaker 5: That was not the case.
Speaker 11: My use of profanity was completely unnecessary, and I want to apologize to everyone on that plane, especially those that had children aboard. We all have are bad moments, some far worse than others, and mine happened to be caught on camera for the whole world to see multiple times.
Speaker 5: Sorry, all right, sound like mini mouths.
Speaker 11: It has been really comic goal for everyone, and I have highly enjoyed so many of the means on the flip side, it is very invasive and unkind, and I don't know what I would do without the love and support of my friends and family. I hope they use this experience and you do a little bit of good in the world and that goes I hope that you guys can accept my apologies.
Speaker 3: Please make it in just now. You don't know me an apology. I don't care now. I'd read that she got in a dispute with some family members she was traveling with about whether they stole her earbuds or EarPods or whatever, and that it escalated the where it turned to this plane's gonna crash, You're gonna die, I'm getting off.
Speaker 5: I don't know whether she was psychotic.
Speaker 3: She didn't sound drunk, but she might be one of those people who sounds pretty, you know, sharp, even when she's hammered.
Speaker 8: Yes, No, I was just gonna say that video explained nothing. She did not tell us how many acid tablets she dropped before getting on that plane.
Speaker 4: Yes, she never got to the realness or lack thereof, of the gentleman in the back of the plane, which is the is the thing and I didn't know is apologizing for hilarious memes a thing? Now you have to go and post a video where I take full responsibility for this hilarious meme.
Speaker 5: Ian what is that?
Speaker 8: I kind of felt bad for her because after this video surfaced, you know, it went everywhere, and then the next headline following was the Internet trying to figure out who she was, right, So all these you know, Internet sleuths were digging to get her information.
Speaker 5: And now she finally, you know, she had.
Speaker 8: To block all of her stuff on social media, so it was a headline on top of a headline.
Speaker 5: So I was just trying to clear her.
Speaker 4: God help you if you ever become one of these people, because I'm sure it gets into They get into every aspect of your life, and you know, what you did in high school and your ex boyfriend from college and everything else all of a sudden appears in the world.
Speaker 5: But does she?
Speaker 4: So, is there still any explanation for the.
Speaker 5: The that mf or isn't real?
Speaker 3: Well, there's there's more to the clip that I don't know, but there was more to the clip. You can sit on this plane and you can effing die with them or not. I'm not going to as we heard. She demanded that the crew quote stop the plane, and the aircraft was brought back to the gate and she was ejected.
Speaker 4: We've all had our bad moments, Joe. She takes full responsibility.
Speaker 5: It's a good point.
Speaker 3: She then allegedly refused to leave the boarding area, continued to rent while being escorted outside the terminal, where she repeatedly scored officers insisted the plane would explode after takeoff. She then snuck through security a couple of more times, or attempted to, or went through security a couple more times, and they kicked her out of the terminal again.
Speaker 4: Man, she's lucky she did this in twenty twenty three and not in like twenty twelve, or she would have been duct taped to the cargo hold of the plane back when we took all this sort of stuff. So seriously, how do you.
Speaker 8: Get ejected from a flight and then get back through security?
Speaker 5: How does that happen? Because aren't you on some list or something? Well, I don't know, she's just they said, look, you gotta get out of here.
Speaker 1: Go.
Speaker 3: She said hey, then turn around, walked over to the security again and went through again, got screamed can I hear the.
Speaker 4: Original clip again, because that's that's that's new to me, the whole He's not real, I'm telling.
Speaker 9: You, and there's a reason why can you either believe it or cannot believe it? And I am telling you right now.
Speaker 5: There is not real.
Speaker 6: And you can die.
Speaker 5: I'm not I'm not going to sour. Yeah, everybody's like, who's not real? Who's not? Everybody back there looks real to me.
Speaker 8: And the Internet, my gosh, it's totally the Internet I signed up for. All these people were taking this video and splicing it, so with that, I'm ever right there, and then they.
Speaker 5: Turned the camera to themselves. It's like, I'm here.
Speaker 4: A good story. Oh boy, the poor lady. I'm glad you did responsibility though.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was good.
Speaker 1: The Armstrong and Getty show or Jack or show podcasts and our hot links.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Getty conveying our love panel.
Speaker 4: So you said love in bloom or Crazy Stoker Psycho biatch, Yes, exactly, Okay, but.
Speaker 5: That question will be decided by the love panel.
Speaker 4: That's always the problem with that is just it's it's it's it's whether or not the other person's interested in you all love like chasing someone's stuff is just so romantic and well received if the other person's interested, if they're not.
Speaker 3: And he never gave up, and now we've been married for fifty years, right, beautiful, And I said no five times and I came out aside and he was waiting by my car with a rose.
Speaker 4: If you kind of liked the guy, that's just awesome. If you don't like the guy, you call the police and get a restraining order and maybe pepper spray him.
Speaker 5: Or send your brothers to beat him down. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Ah, yes, but this is a gal on a mission. Love and Bloom are crazy stalker psychobiac. Let's find out. Thirteen Michael.
Speaker 10: I saw this really cute guy at the grocery store the other day, so naturally I followed him to the checkout counter, and when he gave the cashier his credit card, I peeped it to see what his name was, and then I googled him and found his social media profiles, and I was able to tell that he was single. So I went through his friends list and I found his mother's page, and then I looked through his mother's page and I saw that she was a member of.
Speaker 5: This book club. That's in my area.
Speaker 10: So I went to the book club meeting and I met his mom there, and she just thought I was so nice, And I brought it up randomly in conversation that I was single, and she let me know that she had a son that was single also that lived in the area, and maybe it would be cool for us to get together in chat sometime. So I gave her my number, which she gave to her son, and this morning he texted me and asked if I'd like to get together this weekend and do something. So I guess we're going to go on a date. I'm really excited.
Speaker 8: Wait until he sees this video and goes, oh my god, who did I go on a date with?
Speaker 4: Wow, that's a pretty successful uh effort she made there.
Speaker 5: I don't know how it's going to turn out. That's insane.
Speaker 3: Well, we have a little update for you. That young man is now dissolving in a clause Psycho decided he wasn't worthy of living. She is now wearing his skin as his garment and his fingerbones as a necklace. Follow up segment. All right, all right, so.
Speaker 5: Dude, run from her. God, she actually went to the book club meeting and got to know his mom.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, because he's a cute guy. I mean, look, let's all recognize. I can see a dozen attractive women, there will be one that'll like make my brain explode for whatever, genetic, anthropolo anthropological, who knows why it happens. Reason, doctor Freud had his own opinions, whatever, and maybe it was one of those. Maybe it was one of those. She saw him and just her jaw dropped. It was like, oh my god, for whatever reason. Now, certainly concocting some sort of can you help me out to the car with this or that would have been a hell of a lot more normal than the whole Sherlock Holmes routine. How troubled are we by the detective job in the roots.
Speaker 4: She took man, the uh, the going to the book club and meeting mom and getting to know her, that is that is a that's a different level.
Speaker 3: That really feels to me like something that ends up with somebody's cat getting murdered.
Speaker 4: So, Katie, you're more up on the modern world of how this is handling, how do we feel about just like noticing the name on the credit card and doing a little research on online.
Speaker 5: So that see, I think that it was.
Speaker 8: It got weird the second she looked at his credit credit card to get his name. I like Joe's idea, just hey, could you help me to the car with this, or like a regular approach. But I would be lying if I said that I hadn't met a guy and he had given me his name and I went home and looked him up. I've done that before, but not to the extent to go meet his mom at a book club and then wear his skin later.
Speaker 5: That's weird.
Speaker 7: Michael thoughts, Yeah, pretty psycho, I wouldn't. I'm like Katie. I mean, maybe you look him up online, do a little background check, but that's it.
Speaker 5: Well, here's a little he gives.
Speaker 8: You his name, you don't look at his credit card to like, kind of I don't this.
Speaker 5: She sounds like a serial killer to me, Well, there's a little surprise. We're gonna talk to him live now. He's chained the radiator in her basement. Help me, somebody helped me. Gosh, yeah, it's like a part of the story.
Speaker 8: He goes missing and she's helping his mom look for him at that point.
Speaker 5: That's how these horror movies go. She's putting up posters, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 4: I've only become aware recently, and for reasons I won't get into about how all you need is somebody. If you have somebody's phone number, for instance, you can find out everything and it costs you like a buck online, and you got every place they've ever lived, every phone they've ever had, all their friends, family members. Yeah, it's it's horrifying. I mean, it's less worrisome as a dude, but man, if I'm a young woman knowing that any guy who gets a hold of my phone number at all now knows where I live and where my friends live and where I work and and everything.
Speaker 5: It's just yeah, it's it's just different world for that sort of thing. Of course.
Speaker 4: On the other hand, buddy of mine pointing this out to me their date, I remember when we were younger, all of our names were in the phone book with our address, all of us, all of us. If you knew somebody's name, you could look up their address. And it's not like everybody got abducted every day, right, And everybody's name was in the phone book with their address.
Speaker 5: Did the unlisted thing come later? Is that now unlisted existed?
Speaker 4: But I never knew a girl that was unlisted, every girl she was writing the phone book.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, real rarity.
Speaker 3: Getting back to the whole meeting mom book class book club happened to randomly mention I was single and but subterfuge that just that that is a willingness to be sneaky and duplicitous.
Speaker 5: That isn't her first rodeo, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I think we're a little bit into the modern attitude where everybody's so paranoid of what would you rather run into a bear or a man in the woods for a woman?
Speaker 5: I mean, just you saying?
Speaker 4: Was that before unlisted was available, like you wouldn't want your name listed in the phone everybody had their address to the name in the phone book, and everybody was fine with it, and everybody wasn't paranoid thinking, oh my god, that's dangerous.
Speaker 5: A guy could look up my address. It worked out. I mean, so, is is.
Speaker 4: Culture that much worse or we just way more paranoid than we? Well?
Speaker 3: I would point out that if I had the hots for Jenny Smith, or even unless her name was true, her last name was truly rare and distinctive, there'd be eleven of them in the phone book.
Speaker 4: I couldn't tell which one that was my experience at all, because I lived in small towns. Everybody everybody's name. There was only one Jenny Smith, and every town, everybody's address was right there. And I don't remember anybody abusing it, or anybody even talking.
Speaker 5: About it being abused. No, nope.
Speaker 4: So what changed our parent the reality of stalkers or our paranoia.
Speaker 5: Both. I don't know.
Speaker 6: People aren't brave anymore.
Speaker 7: They don't want to just go and ask something, ask someone out right in person, you know, just hey, would you like to go out?
Speaker 6: Would you like to get some coffee?
Speaker 3: That's like old skills take developing, though, and we're not letting our kids develop those social skills. I had chatted up so many girls by the time I started college. Just the idea of oh my god, I can't I can't say hello to or it was just foreign to me. It was not like I have some sort of bold master gamesmen or anything. It was just so familiar to me. You know, hey, how you doing.
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 5: Please? Phones and internet have completely smashed that skill.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, this is a weird grab, but it popped in my head for some reason. I can't remember why the other day, I was thinking about the old like the first Bob Seeger song with the uh what was the name of his band, Bob Seger and the Silver bullibin No. No, that was before he was a solo artist, when he was a Detroit rocker, but a rambling gambling man. The line is ain't good looking, but you know, I ain't shy, ain't afraid to look a girl in the eye. And hey, I've always kind of liked that line because he was a regular guy. But b we've got a couple of generations who were terrified to look a girl in the.
Speaker 5: Eye and say, hey, how you doing. So that gets right?
Speaker 4: You think if she she found him alluring enough to go through all that work, she should have made her move.
Speaker 3: He then, yeah, she's equipped with the tools to do that. Of course, if you're an all attractive young woman, all you have to say is.
Speaker 5: So, I see you like cereal. That's good enough ice breaker right there, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I just I have a real issue with her going on a date with him after having done all of this and acting like it didn't go down like that.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, well yeah, like, oh, we just so happened to meet. I met your mom at book club.
Speaker 8: Like the whole the start of whatever relationship this might be is gonna be bs anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's a decent point there. You can't start with a lie and then go from there. Yeah, yeah, this ends with a dead cat, trust me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you.
Speaker 4: If you, uh yeah, if you're out with somebody and everything like that, and then she mentions, yeah, I was talking to your mom. Wait a second, and you know my mom? Why do you know my mom?
Speaker 5: This is weird. Okay, well let me tell you how this went down.
Speaker 8: So I saw your credit card at the store the.
Speaker 5: Book club that your mom is in.
Speaker 3: Twenty three year old woman, you're in a book club with a bunch of sixty four year olds.
Speaker 5: Why I like to read?
Speaker 4: Pretending you want to read the Bridges of Madison County so you can get to meet this old woman.
Speaker 5: That is going too far.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe the Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 4: Now my son, who's fourteen and graduating from eighth grade this week graduating, So he actually asked, why do they have eighth grade graduation?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: I don't know the real answer, but where I grew up I thought it was because a lot of people stopped going to school at eighth grade. There was a good chunk of the class that or a particular religion, the Mennonites, they stopped at eighth grade. So I thought that's why we had eighth grade graduation, because they were done.
Speaker 5: Hmm.
Speaker 4: Then found out they have eighth grade graduations other places, So why does eighth grade graduation exist?
Speaker 3: You know, I've actually heard a really interesting argument about this once, where the one point of view was, hey, they've finished a level of school. Let's say let's show them, Hey, education is important. We're proud of you, a good job. Let's reinforce wanting to stay in school and pass everything, which I think is a perfectly reasonable point of view. The opposition was a woman who was saying, they haven't accomplished anything. They're getting the very basics of education their kids. They've got several more years of mandatory schooling. They haven't accomplished anything. They barely gotten started. Quit with the ceremonies. Too many ceremonies.
Speaker 4: I lean more towards that point of view.
Speaker 3: But anything that would less than the number of ceremonies I have to go to, I'm in favor of Yes.
Speaker 8: My mom has a picture of my Is it my kindergarten graduation or my preschool graduation?
Speaker 5: I don't remember it. I'm wearing a robe. I if she had to buy a robe.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I had a little green graduation cap and robe. And they took pictures that she obviously paid for because we have it something you got money sucked out of that.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah we did.
Speaker 4: We had to do kindergarten graduation and there was like a certificate and stuff. But I don't think there was no robe involved.
Speaker 3: But you know, I hate to blame the gals for this, but it reminds me of little seven year old kids in full uniform playing Little League and they have opening ceremonies and closing ceremonies every season, and the parade of the teams and lots of pictures in the rest of it. Back in the day, you just went and played ball. There's no opening ceremony. What the hell do you have an opening ceremony. First game of the year is on Saturday, Go play it. That was the opening ceremony, play ball.
Speaker 4: So my eighth grader has the graduation is actually on Thursday, and you're supposed to wear a tie. So we have to go out and get a tie at some point this week. You gonna wear my shirt and my pants because we're the same size. Oh, and it's gonna be hot.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: He can't wear my shoes because he has bigger feet than me. But so I have to get him some dress shoes and a tie, and it is going to be hot. But the night before there's a big dance, the very first dance of his life.
Speaker 5: Oh boy.
Speaker 4: And he said the other day, I sure hope there's chairs because I planned to sit.
Speaker 8: It's so funny the difference between guys and gals with this one, Like I was so excited and you.
Speaker 5: Want to share to sit?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I know, I know that that's true. I'm sure the girls are very very excited. I was gonna talk I haven't talked to him about that I hinted at, but I was going to talk to him specifically about And I haven't completely crafted it into my head yet, And it probably won't do any good anyway, because it's different when you're fourteen than when you're older and looking back on being fourteen, but man, oh man, oh man, there's so many things that I chickened out of or kind of wish I had done or whatever. You only live once. We freaking live once. That girl over there, you kind of like, go ask.
Speaker 5: Her to dance?
Speaker 4: Good God, I gotta figure out how I want to present it. Not like that, but I mean, looking at talking to my eighth grade me, I mean, just life is short. Yeah, one go round. Yeah, here's here's what you gotta do. Maybe I'll offer this service.
Speaker 3: I'll come over with half a dozen middle school young ladies, have your boy ask each one of them to dance. Each one of them will say thanks, but no, I'm not interested. And by the end of maybe we'll even do two rounds. By the end of it, the kid'll be like, that's fine.
Speaker 5: Whatever.
Speaker 4: Oh, they just get used to get it, used to be rejected a couple of times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they might be completely demoralized. But uh no, maybe you have that thirteenth one say yeah, I'd love to.
Speaker 5: Did you ask so many to dance? Michael, Yeah, I think I did. I usually got rejected. It's okay.
Speaker 4: I didn't ask anybody to dance. Somebody asked me to dayance for the last slow dance of the night, and I've never been more nervous in my life. I can I still feel the sweat running down my armpits as we were slow dancing.
Speaker 5: I was so nervous and scared. But why wouldn't you?
Speaker 4: I mean, and I kind of wanted to dance, but I was scared at one of being rejected and two of dancing in front of other people. It's just God, when you get older, it just seems like, why would you freaking care? But that's just the perspective of age. You can't you know, you can't inject that into someone.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, and dances are so small in our lives now. It's such a big thing to them, right, Well, yeah, of course it is.
Speaker 4: And I'm you know, so on one hand, I don't know about his friends, but it's probably true for his friends too. On one hand, he's I hope they have chairs there. I might bring my own camping chair just so I make sure it possessed it.
Speaker 5: But he has.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: We got a haircut two weeks ago and he wasn't quite happy with that, so we went and got another haircut, and uh, you know, he's been picking out his clothes. So I mean, you wouldn't get two haircuts and pick out your clothes and all this sort of stuff if you didn't care at all. You care, but you just don't want to look like you care, because I'm sure none of your friends are looking like they care. As the boys again, as the girls you get you can be as thrilled as you want to be. Lots of exclamation points off your group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I played the records at the dances I didn't do in middle school. I volunteered for that. I think it's one of the reasons I became a musician. If I'm playing, you can't ask me to dance. I'm busy.
Speaker 4: All the high school dances, I was the DJ, which kind of got me out of it. I got to be there, but I had a job. Yeah, but uh yeah, so I don't know. I'm going to try to craft some sort of go for it type speech. See how it lands. I can just think of several examples of like why why didn't you? Why didn't you do this? Why didn't you do that? There's no downside. The worst case scenario is nothing. The well, actually, the worst case scenario is not doing anything and wishing the rest of your life.
Speaker 5: You would have tried. So yeah, hear hair.
Speaker 4: So that said, he bought a fake Rolex off a Amazon. He totally cares. He totally cares. He does it's cool to not care, but yeah, he cares. He bought this fake real legs. It's forty dollars and it's so shockingly great. I mean it's really really good. It's like really heavy and nice and yeah, very cool. I think you may be admitting to a federal offense.
Speaker 3: Harboring a known importer of repov the counterfeit goods got it off Amazon
Speaker 1: The Armstrong and Getty Show, Yeah or Jack your show podcasts and our hot legs and