Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for listening to the best of Cabino and Rich podcast. Be sure to catch us live every day from five to seven pm the eastern two to four pacifics on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Find your local stations for Cavino and Rich at Fox Sports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on.
Speaker 3: The iHeartRadio app by searching the FSR. Rings.
Speaker 2: We got to talk about rings. Do they matter or do they not matter? Okay, because I'm hearing all sorts of different things about rings, and who.
Speaker 4: Can I ask?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 4: Can I ask your girlfriend of six years? Seven years?
Speaker 2: I mean, why would you say that right before a big party? She hasn't be Yeah, she isn't be in Vegas with me?
Speaker 3: Like, can we.
Speaker 4: Sorry I didn't.
Speaker 2: I've already made a few mistakes in Vegas, Dude, I don't need to do that again. But no, of course they matter in life. But do they matter in sports? Because someone very prominent in the NBA said no. We discussed that yesterday and then as of today, there's a lot of other prominent peace well teammates of Lebron that are saying they matter a lot. So we'll dive into that. We'll talk about watches today if we have time. But let's get into this now. Game six. Okay, see okay, see up three games to two. It's a must watch. IOA, Sam, you're watching, Danny G's got to be watching. He's our resident NBA guru. You guys are tuning in right, one hundred percent. And remember the Pacers don't lose very often back to back.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 2: And you know Sam's a little jaded because he's so he's so in that Caitlyn Clark zone that nothing really compares to him. And she is bringing the fire. I'm not seeing many people in the NBA bringing the fire she's bringing. You watching, Sam, I saw.
Speaker 1: I would say, I'm looking at a picture of Kaitlyn Clark singing shinado O'Connor.
Speaker 4: Nothing compares to you, Nothing.
Speaker 3: Compared to you. Mike and I Mike Lingar, the guy who runs his place.
Speaker 5: We will be driving to Vegas while the game is on, so we'll find it on the radio or on streaming, and we will be listening to that game.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's exciting, that's fun. So yeah, we gotta be tuned in because the Pacers need to win to push a game seven. It's as simple as that. But the side story is, well, was that Halliburton playing or not was a game time decision? But Shams is saying that he's probably gonna play. So it's a matter of, well, we're we gonna take his word for it or not. But we'll find out soon and we'll stay tuned with Dan Byer, who's got your updates?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Thenyg's on the phones at eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox. But the question is this, would you play? Do you think he should play? If you're not one hundred percent? Do you go out and do your best? Do you sit it out? Does it matter because it's the NBA Finals? I think it does. But I'll explain because I've always lived by this theory again, Cavino Enrich eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox, Crceeve. I always live by the theory of if I'm not feeling close to one hundred percent, because especially at this age, why are.
Speaker 3: You ever really one hundred percent?
Speaker 2: Every right, But if you're not close to one hundred percent, maybe you sit it out because you're not bringing your best And then at that point, I mean, you're bad company. Like all right, let's say you had a hot date. But on that night you had a big pimple on your nose. Are you going to feel that confident on that date? And I know that's a lame example, but that's just the example. Are you gonna feel your ultimate confidence on that date? Are you gonna bring your ultimate best? Maybe it's best to sit it out that night, and then when you're feeling better, you bring it all the way, you deliver, you show that you're the man, and you leave a great impression. So in life sometimes I'm I'm understanding if you sit it out because you're not feeling that great, because sometimes you're just in your head because you're not good company.
Speaker 4: I mean, your example, while ridiculous, is a good one to Hey, hey.
Speaker 2: If it's a sore throw whatever the case may be, you got got a bad haircut, who cares?
Speaker 3: Whatever is making you feel like ass.
Speaker 4: If you've got to with the woman of your dreams she finally said yeah, let's get a drink, and you got, as you said, a big pimple right on the tip of your nose.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna bring your best? Especially if it's a woman of your dreams, you want to take that chance on that night. I want to see here when I'm feeling my dopest, my sweetest, the closest to one hundred percent that I am or that I can.
Speaker 1: But that isn't a little isn't that a little bit of a pee type of move to say I'm gonna sit it out because I don't because I'm not feeling a hunt doze percent. I always assume this, especially in the NFL, Danny, I feel like you back me up because every week when the injury reports come out, if a guy on my team who I know is a baller, if he can't play, I'm assuming, like, yo, he can't play because.
Speaker 4: These guys, you don't think they want to push it right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And the other thing about Hollie is that he is a facilitator.
Speaker 3: I love that word.
Speaker 5: And he's an assist minded guy. He wants to pass the ball first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But is he really helping the team if he's not one hundred percent? That's the question you need to keep in mind. And that's my point in saying in life, are you really helping yourself? If you're going out, if you're not feeling that great, maybe it's best to sit it out. However, these are extreme circumstances. This is the NBA Finals. This is do word die. Your team's got to win. I think you need to show up in this big moment. But think about it. Could he be hurting the team by playing at fifty sixty percent? We don't know how hurt he is. And that's also a tough decision. How many times in life where stakes aren't as high, you sit there and you deliberate on, man, should I go to work?
Speaker 3: Should I not? Maybe I could push through. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Should I go to the gym? Should I not? Should I go on this date? Should I not? Because you're just not feeling that great? Those decisions are hard enough, you know in life. Imagine how he must feel knowing that if he pushes it too hard, he might permanently injure himself. And it's not a guarantee. When you're an investment nowadays, you're not just a basketball player showing heart.
Speaker 5: What about just emotionally lifting your team up the way Willis Reed did for the name he limped out. He wasn't the star of that game. A lot of people don't know how that entire game played out.
Speaker 2: Legendary moment, different era though, too. That's what we need to keep in mind. Of course, we all want to see how Lei Burton get out there. The old daniel Lewis is going to fight. Everybody loves the old daniel Lewis is gonna fight. It's a big surprise to everybody, like, hell yeah, it is lifting. What is a different world we live in now where I don't know, guys just don't play with that same amount of recklessness and heart that they used to because they can't. I'm not saying because they don't want to. I'm saying because they can't because of their career trajectory and how much is put on them investment wise, So play or not.
Speaker 1: I feel like, perception wise, and for the team that he's a leader of, for a guy that was doing the Reggie Miller chokes and bolt against the Knicks, for the guy that's been making suit of Li Tres with the media, he's the type of guy that just his pure presence, like yo, I'm going to give it a go, is a mare booster to Indiana. I feel like if he sits out, which it doesn't seem like he will, he's gonna give it a go. But if he sits out tonight, I feel like, just like you're putting the vibe out there that like it's over, Like Yo, he's.
Speaker 4: Not even gonna give it a go. Season's over.
Speaker 2: Give it to Okay, we all want him to play, there's no doubt about it, and it looks like he is. But based on this, we just posed a question. Is it always the best idea? And you know, let me bring up Kevin Durant. Look what happened to him when he wanted to push it and show that he was the man. And you know, I want to be moral support and lift a team and spirit and show that I got heart and do it. It set him back with a major injury. So it's not always the greatest thing. And like you said, going on that date, Rich, when you're not feeling that good, maybe you don't bring your best and maybe she thinks you're lame for it, and you just see blocked yourself and your potential with that woman. Maybe sometimes a little rest is okay, But again, NBA Finals a much different story, especially a game six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't imagine if you're a baller and competitor, you're gonna want to be out there, especially with your team that you've taken it this far. You're at game six, is listen, there's only potentially one more game after this. And I know you're saying you don't want to risk major injury. But unless your damn leg is hanging off or your your shoulders like dislocated, you can't shoot a basketball unless something so dramatic is going on.
Speaker 3: I think even perception wise wheel them out or something.
Speaker 1: Just to get the theatrics going right the game's in Indiana, like get the crowd amped up, like there he is, he's playing. Daniel Larrus is gonna fight like you said, this takes me back to grade school.
Speaker 3: In fact, Rich when you'd have a.
Speaker 2: Little sore throat your mom would rub vipps, vics, vapo rub on you.
Speaker 3: I mean she rubbed it on me. I don't know if your mom rubbed it on you.
Speaker 2: Now your mom rummed it on me, and she would say, sona sna coulitoa, and she would give me some suecrets or chloroseptic, you know, throw back Thursday sort of stuff. Louden's Pine Brothers kis And you're like, I don't know if I can go to school, and you sit it out. By the time Price's right was on you realized at that point that you probably could have went, and that was the worst feeling ever. I mean, I love playing hooky and sitting out, but you know, if you liked school.
Speaker 3: Or if you had a game that day, or you.
Speaker 2: Didn't want to miss gym class, or you know, you wanted to see the hot girl in school, you did feel bad or feel guilty for not showing up when midway through the day you realize you probably could have.
Speaker 3: On the highest of levels.
Speaker 2: Haliburton has to be feeling, man, if I don't go in, I'm always gonna regret it.
Speaker 3: So that's probably why he's gonna push himself.
Speaker 2: And the latest update Sham says he's probably gonna play, but as far as I know, still a game decision to see whether or not Daniel Luiso is gonna fight.
Speaker 4: They just I love that cove.
Speaker 1: I I want to put it in perspective. Also, what do we see every NFL season when a guy like Joe Burrow or a guy like Lamar Jackson, or you know, someone of that nature gets knocked out of the playoff situation like ah, they'll be back next year, And we often realize that's that's like lip service. That's like, that's like someone saying, oh, you got pooped on.
Speaker 4: Oh that's good luck. Oh it rained on your wedding day. Oh that's just good luck.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you just say things to make people feel better. Indiana is a great team, but with the Knicks getting better, with Boston still being the Celtics, it's not like this given where oh the Pacers will be the team for years to come. This might be Halliburton and Siakam and these guys. Real chance, he wants a chance.
Speaker 2: It's a great point and you have to go all out right. But is his sixty seventy percent better than the next person's one hundred percent?
Speaker 3: That's really the question here.
Speaker 1: And talk recently about those moments where those miraculous sick games and people playing for something like there's always these moments.
Speaker 4: And for all you know, we're three hours away.
Speaker 1: From remember that game where Halliburton played hurt and he facilitated as Danny said, and yo, Indiana, they took it at game seven and that's how they won.
Speaker 4: Like this might be the store.
Speaker 2: He comes at lacing up his new Puma shoes. Everyone gets all excited. It's a nice theatrical moment. It could be a memorable moment saying that, am I.
Speaker 4: Wrong by saying the in state, the in arena.
Speaker 1: Broadcast team, the scoreboard, the special effects. You don't think that they should play into this, like be like, yo, he's gonna play. Let's make it grandiosa, Let's make this a deal.
Speaker 2: You know, Oh, I don't think that's what we're sitting on, what we're waiting for. And like I said, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for Dan Bayer to have a sweet update for us on it, because that's what we're discussing. Listen, he's most likely gonna play, but is it at the detriment to his team? It's almost like a you have to be unselfish here too. What is really best someone else's one hundred percent or your sixty seventy percent? And let me give you another example. We mentioned Kevin Durant. What could happen if you overextend yourself to try to be the hero? What about Nestor Cortes last year? Nasty Nestor hadn't pitched in a month, and what did he do? He said all the right things and all the cool things, like, yo, man, if the team needs me, I don't care if I permanently hurt myself. I don't care if it's a career ending injury. I want to win that ring with the Yankees. Put me in there, I'll go all out. Dude, had him pitched in a month. He goes out, He goes out there and gets shelled. Freddie Freeman hits a Grand Slam game over set the tone Game one, and the Dodgers win the World Series.
Speaker 3: That's miserable.
Speaker 2: So his his sixty percent set the team back.
Speaker 3: You see what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, I know we all want this heroic story, but at least hear out the other side.
Speaker 3: It's not always the best decision.
Speaker 1: Hey, of repeat after me just one time. Gibby, meet Freddy.
Speaker 3: Gibby me Freddy.
Speaker 2: But you think about him, that that was that was him being almost a little too selfless. I don't know how you want to look at it, but at the detriment of his team, someone else would have probably been better off in that situation than Nestor, who was pitching on all heart. Again, the intention was was was there? But guess what his arm was not? Freddie Freeman teed off. Fine guy.
Speaker 5: If Freddie Freeman was playing injured and he was almost a detriment on defense. Remember true, So it goes both ways.
Speaker 1: But you know what, Yeah, if Freddy's if Freddy's too much of a wuss, he's not taking that at bat and he's like, I'm injured.
Speaker 2: Guys, was him showing all that heart and saying all the right things really worth it? That said that Tony Yankees had no shot after that, and that could be what Halliburton brings tonight, could be wishing for that at all. And again that all is speculation on how hurt he really is. We don't know, And it goes back to tolerance, right, Sometimes you push through and other people stay home.
Speaker 3: Everyone's different. We'll see how tough he is tonight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a quote from him. He says, it's the Finals. I worked my whole life to get here. If I can walk, I can play.
Speaker 3: I like the attitude.
Speaker 1: But Anny, I mean, that's sort of what I was thinking as far as like you play your whole life, Cavino. It's there are so few people that get this opportunity, the honor to play in the NBA, the MLB, the NFL. If you are like on the borderline of can I play or not? In the biggest game of your life. What has Halliburton played in a bigger game than an elimination NBA Finals Game six? You're right, unless he unless he needs to be in a wheelchair, this guy's gonna try.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Let me make this clear too.
Speaker 2: On my behalf, I'm Cavino, that is Rich Danny g sam Byer, everybody's hanging out. I want to make it clear that I agree with you. I want him out there. We all want him out there. We want to see a great game six. We want to see some heroic stuff happen tonight. We want to see him lace it up. We want to see something, like you said, theatrical. But I am just giving you other things to think about. It's not always the best decisions. Sometimes it is best to sit out, even though it's tough to sit it out.
Speaker 5: I'll give you an example of our industry. Chick hern back in the day, he was going for a record of x amount of broadcasts in a row, and he had laryngitis. It was so bad you could only make out like every third word he was saying in the first half of this Lakers game.
Speaker 3: It was bad.
Speaker 5: So in our business it would almost be like if it was a show you guys really needed to do, but you had laryngitis and it was hard to listen to.
Speaker 3: You gotta push it through, you know.
Speaker 2: On a funny note, we have our big event tomorrow from Vegas, right, hundreds of people showing up from all over the country to party with us at CIRCA. We're going to be doing it live here on Fox Sports A pull side. It's gonna be great, and we're gonna be boozing and schmoozing and broadcasting and shaking hands and high fives. And Rich Davis here is losing his voice as we speak. As we speak, you know, my em to home.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and I'm like, guy, I've got a broadcast. I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna do.
Speaker 3: It if I have half a voice, if I could even with her, I'm in right ready to go.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 3: So I just hope that he brings it.
Speaker 2: I hope you I'll see a crappy effort because he's trying too hard where he's you know, just not at his best. What are you do in life based on that? A game six? You gotta show up it's the NBA Finals. That's clear if you can. But in life, if you're not one hundred percent, do you show up or not?
Speaker 1: I think a lot of times you sit him out and then you wish you would have, like your price is right, theory is?
Speaker 4: I feel like that's life.
Speaker 1: So many times you're like, yeah, I'm tired, man, I'm not going to go out tonight. Then your buddies all have a great time. You're like, man, I really could have gone out very much like you said. When you're a kid eleven or am hit, you're watching Prices right, you're playing Plinko with grandma, and you realize that the reality is that was.
Speaker 2: The thing he played seven up and you played kickball, and oh you missed that out on all the fun. Oh man, dB, what are your thoughts on this?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 8: Well, I just want to draw a parallel. It's not exact, but I'm curious in your guys thoughts because Halliburton is injured. But it reminds me of the dilemma, say, like in the Little League World Series, do you want your stud pitcher who's probably seventeen years old to pitch in that game before you get to the championship game, or do you want him to pitch if you get to that championship game, you want him to pitch in that one? Because I think there's a good chance that Halliburton may not be one hundred percent tonight. And if he's not one hundred percent tonight and plays forty minutes, he's probably not gonna be one hundred percent for game seven. But if you didn't play him tonight, you have no guarantee that there is a game seven, and so like it may pay off if you held them out, we're able to win. But it reminds me, you know that Little League great where you can only have like sixty pitches, or you know you can't you're at your pitch limit for for youth baseball.
Speaker 1: And if you just when we play when we play games on our show, when we play Last one Standing and I save an answer and then give a wrong answer, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, yeah, yeah, do you use haliburd tonight?
Speaker 3: I didn't sure a game seven.
Speaker 5: You would almost have to live by anything can happen in a game seven because you just got to make it there.
Speaker 8: I agree with Danny. I would, yeah, I would. I would play him tonight and then whatever happens happens, but you have to get there first.
Speaker 2: And for the record, like I said, maybe uh, maybe you're on vacation. Maybe you were hitting the head. Who knows he's dealing with a right calf strain. That's really what it is. And Jack is just finding out by hearing you right now on the card.
Speaker 3: I was in the ocean. I missed the whole thing, all right. Well, here's why.
Speaker 2: In life though, in regular life, right not everyone's living a Game six sort of life. But in regular life, maybe sometimes it is best to sit out because when you push too hard, maybe you're exposing yourself perhaps or maybe you're making things worse.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Like we said, Nasty Nestor or KD. I got in a car accident in the past year, and it was right before a big meeting we had. Do you guys remember that, Yeah, right before a big meeting. We left a studio. I pulled out of the parking lot and some JIBBRONI totaled my car and I was all shaken up, like anyone else is after a car accident.
Speaker 3: But I was okay.
Speaker 2: However, I did have significant whiplash and I was sort of dazed and confused as to what just happened. But I know we had this big meeting with big clients here at Fox Sports Radio, and Rich came and picked me up. We went to this restaurant and had this big meeting, and you know where I would have normally brought my one hundred percent or anything close to one hundred percent as I would have brought. I'm there at like forty percent days like a dope, and all these guys think I'm a dope. As a result, I should have put you. I should have left you in the blue tent. So like maybe like, yeah, I want to show that. Yeah man, I'm still here and I want to show that I'm I'm a team player.
Speaker 3: But did I really bring my best in that moment?
Speaker 2: The next time I saw those people and they're the best, they were like, yeah, dude, we knew something was off.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: Are you that is that the time you told the sponsor about your idea for alcohol ice cubes?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like I was like so down, like a zombie. You know, I wasn't myself. Maybe I should have sat it out. I think there's sometimes in life where it's okay and you just you want to push and you want to do the right thing, but maybe do and the right thing is actually the wrong thing. That's all I'm saying. We all want to see Halliburton get out there, no doubt.
Speaker 4: I remember have you known that meeting?
Speaker 1: He was like, tire Rack, I mean, I love Ty.
Speaker 2: You thought I was an idiot, respectfully, of course, and I am. But I mean they thought, like, what's up with this guy? What's what's wrong with this guy?
Speaker 3: I was there.
Speaker 1: We should have dropped we should have dropped Covino off at a little uh.
Speaker 3: And then and then you know what happened.
Speaker 4: Rich.
Speaker 2: I'm justifying that I just gotten that accident. I'm telling everybody my sob story, Like, that's not the impression I wanted to give. So think about it, and let's get to some phone calls. We got Travis in La on the Covino and Rich show Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: Yo, Travis, are you on your way to Vegas?
Speaker 4: What's going on buddy tomorrow morning?
Speaker 7: Short drive?
Speaker 10: Yeah? Nice?
Speaker 3: Nice, awesome? So what are your thoughts?
Speaker 10: Man?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 11: So, I almost like the topic too much because I studied psychology in college and I agree with your side of it. You know what I always think about I think about bands on tour, like, what do they do when they get in a fight with their girlfriend or something like an hour before the show? Now you've got to play songs that are sad, happy, all these things. How are you supposed to do that?
Speaker 12: You know?
Speaker 2: You know, dude, it's something that when you work in entertainment. I guess you could say we loosely do that. It's obvious we live real lives and there's ups and downs all the time, right, your wife or girlfriend busting your chops, your kids are paining in the ass. I think a lot of people, not everybody, but a lot of people. I can tell you straight up. I'm one of those guys that could usually compartmentalize, just like you have to compartmentalize that word in order to say it compartment you have to compartmentalize your life. And it's like that show severance when I'm at work. Ah, you know, my daughter being a teenage pain in the ass is sort of forgotten in that moment, and I think this is sort of the escape, and that's how it works, like a logically, at least for people like me.
Speaker 4: No, I mean he's right, though, I mean guys like U Kam.
Speaker 1: You know, I've always thought that was such a quality of yours, Like can you know what be going through some real life terrible drama and he would just bring it on the air.
Speaker 4: Some people could check out some cample.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some people give like you are, like the TV show Severance, where other people a baseball player might be slumping, you know, maybe guess his wife asked for a divorce. You know, not everybody's like that. It's different for everybody. With Zach came up with a great example. I mention, if you're a rock star and you got to sing love ballads on stage and the person you wrote that song about you hate in the moment, Oh yeah, that's it's tough.
Speaker 3: But you know it's a job, it's a gig.
Speaker 2: You can't you got you know, the show must go on as the saying goes. But sometimes it's at the detriment of your reputation of you. And we're hoping for Haliburt. It's not of his team at this point, so it looks like he's going to play. We'll keep you posted. That's the latest report from Shams. The right camp strain and you never know, if he pushes it could hurt it even more. We're still getting phone calls.
Speaker 1: I think, does anyone in OKC that's like, yeah, give him tonight, I want to win at home game seven?
Speaker 4: Or you think it's like no, no, let's win now.
Speaker 1: There's always some people that are like at home, the NBA road celebrations stink compared to home.
Speaker 2: And by the way, Richie, know what else I'm thinking about. I'm thinking about how generationally it is a little different. There's some generations that want to always push through and push through and push through, and then there's other generations. And I'm not calling people out that just don't push through his heart, you know. So it's case by case. Jesse in Indiana. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 11: Hey, how's it going?
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 11: I just so my personal opinion on this is I think Aliburton should play, yeah, but I don't think he should start.
Speaker 10: I think McConnell.
Speaker 11: Should start over him playing limited minutes, you know, when he's randy, when he's.
Speaker 13: Feeling it for Carlisle. Put him in when.
Speaker 10: He's hey, put McConnell back again.
Speaker 2: Hey, You ever think is strategy too that happens in sports? Like maybe he's all right and it's just messing with OKC for them to think that he is hurt and then he comes out and lights it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, I've thought about, like even strategies like he was insinuating, what if you don't start him and what if what if the Pacers are winning by eight in the you know, first quarter and when you know, double digit lead.
Speaker 4: At halftime, you could really play it safe.
Speaker 1: I've always thought that with baseball, and I know people in baseball say pitchers have such a routine, But let me give you the example up. Let's say the Tigers are in a playoff game and they have scooball ready to start it. Does Tigers put up a six spot in the top of the first inning. Don't you feel like you want to be like, no, no, no, save him for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you think, but pitchers are so particular about the route. Professional athletes are weird like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm just thinking maybe that's the solution. Maybe you don't start them and you see how things go.
Speaker 4: You know, it really is.
Speaker 1: I mean Niners, the Niners have taken that approach in the past with McCaffrey, where it's like, yeah, let's go light until we see if we really need him in this matchup?
Speaker 2: Do we have Jesse in Indiana? Jesse, thank you so much, Travis. I also want to thank you. Hope to see you in Vegas. Now we'll get to the rest of your phone calls. Eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox Next and we're gonna talk rings. Do they matter or not? An old school in fifty hits. But let's get to our good pal, the great Dan Byer.
Speaker 8: Guys, you guys hit on the injury status with Tyres Halliburton. Is that game time decision, but they think he's going to go. Tonight tip off eight thirty Eastern Time between the Thunder and the Pacers. Houston Rockets gave head coach Emy Udoka a long term contract extension makes him one of the highest paid head coaches in the NBA.
Speaker 3: And now it is time for our tire rack play of the day. This time the.
Speaker 2: Dodgers handled the Padres in walkoff fashion Smith, which is a fly.
Speaker 3: Ball right center field, Tatis on.
Speaker 4: The wrong at the warning track.
Speaker 6: Bet the walk it is gone, It's gone, he is tun is over.
Speaker 3: They celebrate in front of the play. Oh walk up home wrong crew, Will Smith. The Dodgers went in the ninth four to three.
Speaker 1: Wow courtesy of AM five seventy Dodgers Audio Network, and that's a tire rect play of the day.
Speaker 4: And for over forty.
Speaker 1: Years, tire X's been driving customers and helping them find the right tires for how, what and where they drive. Ship fast and free back by free Road, has protection, convenient insallation options like mobile tire Insallation, tire act dot Com the way tire bink should be in Cavino, you heard it there in the clip. I have a theory that you will resist because you're a Yankees fan. And I hate to say it because I'm not a Dodgers fan, but you got to give it to him man when they win and walk off fashion and that I love LA song hits in the background, Dude, do.
Speaker 3: I don't like that song?
Speaker 2: A song from Naked Gun sounds like a like a campy eighties cheesy comedy song.
Speaker 3: Covino would rather hear fat Yo. Yeah, yeah, sorry, Danny G.
Speaker 2: Your Dodgers are so great. My Yankees and Riches Mets were battling on who could suck the most the past six games.
Speaker 1: But I will say though, when I when I hear that I love La. You tell me that doesn't hit the right way.
Speaker 3: No, you mean the team that beat the Yankees last year?
Speaker 2: Screw them? So I prefer Old Blue Eyes Rich. That's how it is, right. But we're Covino and Rich and speaking of baseball. Look at the time, all school win fifty hits, there's.
Speaker 3: A certain.
Speaker 9: Y.
Speaker 14: What we gonna do is go back back into time, throwing it back for a Thursday. Old School went fifty hits. That's fifty after CNR give you the time capsule topic and we reminisce together.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So.
Speaker 2: Word on the streets is today is an anniversary especial day on this day in eighteen forty six. I think Mike, who runs his place, he was probably around around that time. I think he was there when it happened.
Speaker 4: Mike, he was there.
Speaker 2: I heard he was there on this day when fall was invented. In what city was invented on this day?
Speaker 4: Hoboken, New Jersey.
Speaker 2: Hoboken, New New Jersey, where Covino and Rich met and began this journey as a show together Dannie.
Speaker 1: Right off of Washington Street in Hoboken, where all the bars are by the way, Hoboken, New Jersey, the home of old Blue Eyes and more bars per capita. Hoboken's a really cool town right across the Hudson River from New York City.
Speaker 4: And there it is.
Speaker 1: There's a there's a plaque and it says baseball started here. I was gonna say, I've seen the plat Danny g it's a historical monument.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I remember the ken Burns documentary famously talking about it, The.
Speaker 2: Ken Burns documentary Classic. So we ask you Fox Sports Radio Nation Throwback Thursday, Old School and fifty hits. This is when we get everybody involved, the most inclusive show on radio. Eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox and at Kovin and Rich at Fox Sports Radio on this anniversary, on this day, eighteen forty six, baseball was invented.
Speaker 3: Baseball as we know it, Baseball as we know it?
Speaker 2: Right, what are the most important moments in baseball to you?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 4: I have that, and I have a second part of the question. I want to add.
Speaker 1: I want to go your favorite baseball memory that you think was just so iconic, that meant so much to you, if baseball went at all the same without it, and also your.
Speaker 4: Favorite weird baseball saying er.
Speaker 1: Lingo, because I'll give you one, Okay, I give you I'm gonna give you two, all right. My favorite moment, clearly as a Mets fan, gets by Buffler rounding third is night and the Mets win the ball game Game six, eighty six. I was in kindergarten. I was my son's age, and I remember thinking like, is this the beginning a lot of great things? And know the Mets haven't won since, but eighty six, Game six gets by Buckner's my moment. My favorite sayings in baseball little number, never understood that little number. And I love how it's okay that we just call guys studs. For some reason, you're left to call other grown men studs.
Speaker 3: With Rice Harper's a stud, so hear from you guys. He doesn't have a little number. That's probably why.
Speaker 2: Again, greatest moments that are important to you, we chop it up next right here on Cavino and Rich Fox Sports Radio. If you want to hear the dirty things I think people do at the Stanley Cup, listen to the Bonus pod where I could be uncensored. If you want to hear why there's something wrong with Rich perhaps, Yeah, take a listen for sure, something wrong with this guy. So I'm Cavino, that is Rich and we do this every Thursday, old school when fifty hits. According to Iowa Sam's math, one hundred and seventy nine years ago.
Speaker 3: Rich baseball was.
Speaker 2: Invented today, eighteen forty six on this day. So it got us thinking about the most important moments to you in baseball history. And there's historical moments like I'll give you an example of that might not be one for me. Look it's been around one hundred and eighty years almost, but let's say in Seattle, Dan Byer could correct me. Well, he's not a he's a Seattle Seahawks fan, not a Mariners fan. But in Seattle, Rich they often say if they didn't win in ninety five, they wouldn't have safe co field, right, Yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Say, if King Griffey Junior didn't show up in the playoffs, they wouldn't have kept that team in Seattle. Maybe getting Junior saved baseball in Seattle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe just getting him period, was that significant moment for your square, right? Perhaps it was Jay Buner. I don't know, it depends what you asked. But if they didn't win in ninety five at the Yankees expense. Baseball might not exist there anymore. So that's a historical moment in Seattle history. And I'll give an obvious one. I got to get it out of the way. Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier has to be one of the most important things to ever happen in baseball, not only for baseball, just for you know, the world that we live in today. So eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox. It doesn't have to be of historical significance. It could be something like Ridge said, the Mets winning in eighty six. Maybe your first baseball game, Yeah, yeah, whatever, whatever it means to you.
Speaker 1: I remember my first baseball game. My mother likes to remind me that I should never be hard on my kids if they like want to leave a game, because you know, I'm a diehard baseball fan, and my mom would always tell me that at the games, when everyone else is cheering let's go Mets, I was cheering let's go home. You're a little kid, you know, you don't want to be sitting there in the heat. But you know what oo, I watched it documentary recently, so I got to shout out my pal Al you know Albert, give me know my buddy, al al Spalding.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: I think this is a big moment in sports history that could go under the radar. Obviously ended up making balls for a variety of sports, the NBA, but it was back in the late eighteen hundreds that Spalding was the guy that got every little baseball league in town to use the same baseball. I don't know if people know this before that it was almost like houseball, you know when you played wiffleba as a kid, where it was like neighborhood rules. It was neighborhood rules in real baseball. Like some balls were tighter, some balls are bigger, smaller. Spalding was the guy that made Yeah, but was this.
Speaker 2: Spalding also the guy that made the glove like an acceptable thing because he was so good. Anyone that wore glove was made fun of, like you big wimp, you wear a glove? What a weenie? You know, we played bare handed. But because he was so good and people respected him so much, it made it okay. Isn't that the back something.
Speaker 4: Like that was the original baseball.
Speaker 1: They started out as gloves and then the fingers on the gloves just started getting bigger and bigger, like Mickey Mouse, and then who decided to tie all the fingers of the gloves together? See like I'm bringing the fun facts today. You might have heard of them, the Rawlings Brothers. So I mean, think of all the gloves you had as a kid. It was the Rawlings Brothers that said, let's make a pocket to the glove and connect the fingers. And you could go nerdy old school like that, or simply just say, hey, Freddie Freeman last year is my favorite moment.
Speaker 2: You know, these are all important moments in baseball history, but everybody has the ones that stand out to them.
Speaker 3: Dan Byer, do you have one?
Speaker 8: Well, I was just gonna say, just on the heels of what Rich was talking about. Like a house, baseball ends up becoming uniformed. But isn't that what makes baseball so great? With these stadiums where every NFL field is the same, every NBA courts by and large is the same, with the same dimensions, paintings and otherwise are different. But isn't that what makes the Green Monster awesome? Or know the right field hole in Fenway Park, Yeah, you know the warehouse in Baltimore, Like all those things like, that's something that I find great. I also love this chatter. Come on, kid, come on now, come on, come on, yeah, come on.
Speaker 2: Baseball chatter, Yes, I love it. Sounds of the game absolutely.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 8: Maybe don't get it at a at a big league ballpark, but you go to any legion tournament or high school, you always have chatter.
Speaker 4: Hey, Dann Bayer, Yes, good ie, good good.
Speaker 3: I can't take your pits, kid. Come on now, come on, come on kid.
Speaker 1: How about now you've seen them, you're hacking.
Speaker 8: I turned southern. By the way, I don't know if you can tell, but when I did my chatter, it's like I just you know, was born in Alabama.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, rich the other sounds of the game when we were little kids at the stadiums uh, the announcers on transistor radios, you won't hear that anymore.
Speaker 4: No doubt. Man. And and by the.
Speaker 1: Way, especially here in l a dB, speaking of the old school chatter, Cavino and I always joke about how, you know, when I know they still sell them, maybe like the old timers buy them, but the guy that sells things that stadium still talk like they're from the nineteen twenties gets a program here, program Peanuts, popcorn program.
Speaker 4: Old school.
Speaker 2: That's the cool part about baseball, Yeah, because it goes so far back.
Speaker 3: There's so much history. So again the bam.
Speaker 8: You, I don't dip. But if I was playing first base, I'd have my tongue in my bottom lip, you know, right, doing that chatter right the best?
Speaker 2: All right, so we get you involved at eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox. There's so much history when it comes to baseball. And aside from Rob Parker's love of baseball, here on Fox Sports Radio, we're one of the only shows that really loved talking about baseball because it pot on right now, I got my baseball, still love baseball.
Speaker 4: I got one.
Speaker 1: Let's say, coming up in the lineup was a Cavino buyer, Danny g.
Speaker 4: That sounds like hits.
Speaker 3: That sounds like here, it sounds like ron, sounds like some ruds. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love baseball chatter too. That's a good point, Dan, But if baseball chatter is the best sports.
Speaker 2: Chatter, you remember the first time you heard ducks in a pond. They're like, oh, okay, ducks in a pond.
Speaker 3: They get it. Okay, Oh we want a pitcher, not a belly itcher.
Speaker 2: Oh we want to catcher, not a belly scratcher.
Speaker 3: Oh we want to catcher.
Speaker 2: Not by the way, the kids a really fun creative one.
Speaker 4: Pitcher gets up.
Speaker 1: You know when pitchers would hit and literle league itself like got runners on base Yo, help yourself, help yourself.
Speaker 3: Oh so good.
Speaker 2: I mentioned Jackie Robinson, So I'm gonna get another one out of the way. As a as a half fato local, myself got to give props to the great Roberto Clemente again being the first Hispanic player of Puerto Rican descent to play professional baseball in nineteen fifty five. These are all major moments that opened up the game to where it is today.
Speaker 3: Right, So again I have.
Speaker 2: To point that out, but it doesn't have to be that historical because me personal, I remember the nineteen ninety six World Series, right, the.
Speaker 3: Yankees were down, dude down.
Speaker 2: The Braves were dominant, and then Jim Larretz hits this magical home run and turns the whole series around and the Yankees win that series, and that sort of started that dynasty for the New York Yankees. If you guys remember, that was like a clear memory because before that was a little kid. When they won in ninety six, when that turnaround happened with Jim Larretz's home run, the Yankees never looked back. They win the World Series, yet a stumble in ninety seven, but then they go on that major run. Dude, and looking back, I think we're far enough removed to look back and say what they did was insane. Yeah, that dynasty the Yankees had, winning three in a row.
Speaker 3: That's unheard of.
Speaker 2: Baseball's the hardest sport to repeat in. They did three in a row. So Larret's he's in trouble, right, he's a yeah. Well, I'm not saying he's the best, dude. I'm saying he turned that whole series around. So let's hear that. Can you know said Jim Larritz is his hero. That's not what I said. I'm saying that whole turnaround when they were looking like they didn't have a chance against the Atlanta Braves. So moments important moments to you that made baseball is what it is.
Speaker 3: Danny G. What's yours?
Speaker 5: How about Hank Aaron's historic seven hundred and fifteenth home run. Now we weren't around, but we famously see the clip over and over of those two fans running out to pat him on his back in their seventies duds.
Speaker 3: You know what's so cool about that?
Speaker 2: As he was getting so much flack about breaking the Babes record, right, like no one wanted him to be the guy, and racial barriers and things like that. Redict and then you see these two goofy white dudes, the leather chack like seventy bell boy dollers, big collared seventies dudes.
Speaker 3: That is one of the most classic clips for sure. I love that.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it in a minute, but I love that clip. So the ones that stand out to you. Let's go to the phone to get everybody involved. Where do you want to start?
Speaker 3: Let's start with Baker in Illinois. Baker in Illinois.
Speaker 2: You're on the Cavino and Rich Show, the Anniversary of Baseball.
Speaker 4: Hey man, what's up?
Speaker 7: So it's kind of a not a moment, but uh so I'll try and make it quick. I grew up listening to Braves games on my radio, and so I was a fan. And then the Yankees knocked him out of the World Series, so I decided I hate the Yankees. And then and I jumped on the bag bandwagon right at the right time in three, and then the Yankees knocked the Red Sox out, but then four they won and that was dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for any Red Sox fan or Yankee hater, four was insane because it goes back to the curse of the Babe when they dished him after nineteen eighteen. Right, So, and that's another question itself. Would baseball be the same? Rich baseball would still exist, but would it be the same if Babe Ruth wasn't traded to the Yankees?
Speaker 1: I mean, would the NBA be what it was if it wasn't for the Magic Johnson Larry Bird feud and Michael Jordan coming And you can say that about most stems. I think Babe, you know, was super important back then. He was larger than life. He was a circus act.
Speaker 4: People would go see him to just hit the ball.
Speaker 3: Why could argue, yeah, he one could argue though.
Speaker 2: He might be the most important figure in baseball to make it what it is today, no doubt. So thank you man. Uh yeah, two thousand and four. Major impact for anybody in the New England area too. How about all those old people that never sawt this other team win, and you're just happy for Grandpa that you got to see something. Scott and Missouri Important moments in baseball.
Speaker 15: November November second, twenty sixteen. Cubs winning the World Series unbelievable. I mean, I'm growing up because saying in Chicago, I moved to Springfild, Missouri, right in the middle of Cardinal Country. I did take a crap for years, but finally the Cubs get it. They win the World Series.
Speaker 1: You know, I always wonder if the Cubs fan had a hangover after that, meaning like not from drinking, Like like now what, because I there's that. There was such a lovable charm about the Cubs. You finally win one, and then I wonder, like, what does that feel like that?
Speaker 2: There are so many great stories similar to the four Red Sox. You waited your whole life to see that. The story of David Ross was big too. Remember he got carried off the field his majestic home run. That was huge for Chicago and we all got to witness that absolutely in our lifetime.
Speaker 3: One of the greatest moments for sure. Thank you man. Rob in Pennsylvania, you're on the Cavino and Rich Show.
Speaker 13: Hey guys, I love you I love your show.
Speaker 3: Thanks man.
Speaker 13: Thanks the guy just stole my thunder was the Cubs winning the World Series and eight years and something cool was a baseball has one hundred and eight threads, so he couldn't have matched up anything better.
Speaker 3: You know that's cool.
Speaker 2: And you know what you think too about like Steve Bartman and all the stupid things that happened and the Port Cubs.
Speaker 4: And you know, it's it's funny.
Speaker 1: Danbyer brought up a great point and Cavi, you know, I know you found the chatter some young some young kid on social media that's learning baseball and he's like, yo, when was someone gonna tell me all the stadiums were different? And to me, there there's such a charm about That's why will people do want to go see different basketball games and football games? Why do you think everyone wants to go see every Major League baseball stadium because they're all different.
Speaker 4: You go to Milwaukee, they got the slide in left field.
Speaker 1: You go see the an Astros game and they got the train in left field, or remember they used to have that little center field little thing. You go to Yankee Stadium, It's Yankee Stadium every every you go to Wrigley Field. You see the the I on the wall. It's there's something so special about each stadium, the dimensions, the grass, everything. And by the way, we've been to MLB experiences where I know Dan Byer enjoys this conversation.
Speaker 12: Dan.
Speaker 1: They showed all the different types of grass at all the stadiums, like in his precision, like the different types of strains of grass that all the different stadiums use.
Speaker 3: That's an another thing.
Speaker 8: That's why I think golf appeals to me so much, aside from just the sheer frustration of it, but it's such a gorgeous setting in Major League Baseball with that lush green field. If you have certain stuff mode absolutely in San Francisco, this is kind of funny. I don't know if anybody remembers this. The San Francisco Giants before well, they changed it. They used to have the old Navy like splash landing area, right, But do you guys know the story of Rusty, the fourteen foot mechanical mascot that would come out if they hit a home run into the splash landing.
Speaker 3: You gotta look this up. It is such a failure.
Speaker 2: They got rid of it, but it was this fourteen foot mechanical baseball dude that would come gliding out, tipping his hat out to the to the audience, and everyone hated it so much that they eventually got rid of it. But the railway that he would the track that he would move on, is still there underneath that splash landing at It's Oracle right at Oracle pack Bell Park, whatever the heck it is. But look up the legend of Rusty and it might trigger some memories because that story's wild Rusty again. It goes with the signature look that every stadium has, which is why we like these ballparks. You're right, I love that originality that every city brings to the game. Oh my god, this is so weird. Oh honestly, I think it's kind of cool. But it got such backlash and people were scared of it. Kids hated it, and everyone's like the socks they got rid of Rusty. I think it lasted like one season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, co let me ask you, can you think of I have one that's on my mind. Can you think of something else that was so terrible they got rid of it in.
Speaker 2: This Yeah, the flagpole in Houston. No, that was the weakest.
Speaker 1: Do you remember that like really gross statue in Florida in.
Speaker 3: Miami with the Flamingos.
Speaker 4: They had some artistic to something going on in the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, the signature look is I think a part of the game that we all cherish, and I think that's part of why we love it. Mike, who runs this place, who's also getting ready for our big Vegas adventure. He's bringing a bunch of prizes down there for us, he says. Kirk Gibson's home run was the historical moment for him. He said, you know, he always admired the lou Gerrick speech too and what that meant for baseball, But Gibson's home run was just a classic moment for him. Back to your phone calls on the anniversary of Baseball invented on this day, eighteen forty six, what were some of the most important historical moments in the game or maybe just you personally, Tom and Florida.
Speaker 3: You're on the show.
Speaker 10: Hey, guys, you know, I'm a Braves fan since the early seventies. I was eight years old when I hit the home run. But that's not it. I've seen them win the World Series in ninety five and twenty twenty one. But that's not it. The powder Blue Braves, the disgusting Braves of the late seventies and eighties. It couldn't win anything. And then Sid Bream in nineteen ninety one beats the throw from the greatest player in the game at the time, Barry Bonds. Braves win, Braves, win Braves, win from worse to first. That to me was the moment that I'll always cherish.
Speaker 2: I love that, and I love the excitement in your voice. I love the story. And then my mind starts to trail off because baseball means a lot to all of us, right, we all grew up loving it. And it gets me thinking this would be a controversial one, Rich, but you don't think the steroid era, for as bad as it was for baseball, brought so much excitement for baseball.
Speaker 3: Like Sosa and McGuire gup punching each other.
Speaker 5: That summer was unforgettable, dude, Am I right that any network channel they would break into, they would break out of whatever they were covering at the time, whether it was the news or whatever was going on, and they would show the at bat for McGuire or so.
Speaker 2: So that's why it's so hypocritical to hold it against these players because everybody was pumped about it, And if you were a little kid, like I wasn't a little kid, but if you I was in college in the mid nineties, late nineties.
Speaker 3: I graduated college in ninety eight.
Speaker 2: So if you're a little kid and you're watching Sosa and McGuire and guys like Rafael Paul Merrow just slugging away, hitting bombs all the time, you don't think that was important in their life and reeled them into the game. Like, yeah, I get it detrimental to stats into the game and the reputation, but if that's what pulled you in and you've been a lifelong fan since, was it really that bad?
Speaker 3: I don't know something to think about.
Speaker 4: I I thought of a couple other fun ones. Nolan Ryan Robin.
Speaker 3: Ventura historical moment, for sure, just like one.
Speaker 4: Of those, like those are the fun moment you'll never forget.
Speaker 2: It's like, uh, yeah, it's definitely a moment you'll never forget. I don't know remember how important it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if it's well, I mean you can also throw it like Don Zimmer and Pedro. That fight was legendary and just added to the Yankees Red Sox feud. There's just all these memorable moments, Mike Piazza and Clemens throwing the bat at him.
Speaker 4: There's so many rens will say magical moments.
Speaker 2: Mike Piazza bringing life back to normal after nine to eleven with that Bomby hit.
Speaker 3: That was a majestic moment.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think about some of the manias, like Doc goodin coming to the league, and of course Fernando Mania in Southern California kind of healed what had happened with Chavez, Ravine and Mexican Americans being moved out of there for the stadium to be built, and a lot of them didn't embrace the team until Fernando and all of that happened.
Speaker 2: For you know what Fernando Venezuela and what he meant to the Latino community embracing baseball. You're right in Mexicans embracing the Dodgers. Dude, that's insane the impact that he had in this city with the Dodgers so important moments too. Back to the calls.
Speaker 1: Do you remember, Cavino, when you were a kid, you told me you went to a game. Were you on the West Coast. You went to an Angels game and you were there when Reggie Jackson tried to kill the Queen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll never forget it. It was wild, dude.
Speaker 4: Thank god for Lieutenant Fred Rubin, right.
Speaker 3: I was a historical moment.
Speaker 2: Thanks Frank, Jamie and Georgia. You're on the Cavino and Rich Show. Historical or oh.
Speaker 10: My thunder just a second ago from Florida, but it was Sid rings slide, but it was nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yah ye.
Speaker 2: Oh really okay, Jamie cleaning up his work, you know, a Braves fans coming. I love going thro these phone calls because then my mind wanders and I start thinking of other stuff.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you.
Speaker 4: You think about Sid, you would think about Sid breams mustache.
Speaker 2: No, I'm thinking about like, there's other moments that maybe not that historical, but we're seeing Buster Posey, you know, on the big stage press conferences talking about Raphael Devers and everything. Him getting mode over changed the game period as we know it, you know what I mean. So it's like, maybe not that historical, being that we've been watching baseball one hundred and eighty years, but what happened to him changed the game as we know it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I always think about that with your your Yankee pitcher, Joba Chamberlain. I remember him being the first pitcher that had a pitch count because he was coming off an injury job. I felt like, yeah, yeah, the Joba rules. And ever since that, I feel like that opened the floodgates to every pitching coach putting counts on their.
Speaker 2: Pitch Jaba rules, Joba Chamberain, significant Buster Posey, you know, barreling down catchers. That changed everything historical moment. These are things that we were able to witness in our lifetime, which make him actually a little cooler. Tom and Ioway, you're on the Coveno and Rich show.
Speaker 7: Hey, this is Tom. Hey.
Speaker 4: I tell you what.
Speaker 7: When I was a teenager to St.
Speaker 9: Louis to watch a game, and I'm a keV fan, so I loved it. Again, Dave Dingwin hit a great and slam off the Cardinals. That is pretty dad, Dave Kingman and he almost did it out of the stadiums. I said it was three and two first Stanning bass I said, they throw them at fastball, and they did. But of course my favorite time was when that comes won the World Series. But see and Kingman had that was before the he was he was king they called him, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeoh, that guy hit like I only saw highlights. I was a little too young for Kingman, but he was a met when I was like a baby. Kingman was known to hit like moonshots, like I don't know if anyone else is synonymous as far as Homern hitters that would just hit like rocket high bombs.
Speaker 3: On this day, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: The fact that they came up with and they always say it in a Ken Burns documentary or when people are talking about the magic of baseball, just how perfect sixty feet six inches is.
Speaker 3: Right, like, yeah, that makes it so great.
Speaker 1: You're ninety feet from the distance like this, Like if it's a routine ground ball, you'll get him out. He'll never beat out of routine ground ball. However, if you bobble the ball a little bit.
Speaker 2: Safe, right, Like, all these things were so important to the game as we know it now. Perfection, And you mentioned Shoho Tani. The impact that we're gonna look back on is insane. It's immense when you think about how global he's made the game feel like it's always been there. We talked about Clemente's and when he's meant to Latino players and Hispanic players all over the globe. But the international feel that baseball is really bringing with Shohay and maybe even the decision rich of World Baseball Classic. One day we might look back and be like that was a historical moment because look how big the game is now internationally.
Speaker 1: Of course, right and by the way, as we talk about baseball in our favorite moments, and you know, doing a little reminiscing the other day, I think it was yesterday was National Mascot Day, and I gotta say baseball probably has the best mascots, right, Philly fanatic. I hate to say it because I love to hate on Philly, but the fanatic mister Met, mister redb. By the way, doesn't he look like mister Mets creepy uncle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he is. He's got the mustache. Yeah, I think it's you.
Speaker 1: Know, Colorado the Dinosaur Digger. They got all these cool mascots throughout the league. So baseball's bringing it as it did one hundred and seventy nine years ago. And again the evolution, like you said, Cavino guys were they were like you, you gotta be tough, no helmets, no gloves, nothing, and now like five year old kids have sliding gloves exactly.
Speaker 2: So we'll wrap it up with your phone calls. The most important important moments in baseball, Uh, Tony in Virginia, you're on it.
Speaker 12: I think President Bush throwing out that first pitch at Yankee Stadium in World Ferries right after ninety eleven. I think that galvanized dude.
Speaker 3: That was imagic, bitch man.
Speaker 2: It was definitely the best and most impactful. And then I'd put the queen when she threw the screw ball, screwball Queen right underneath it. But yeah, that was an awesome moment.
Speaker 4: He brings up a great.
Speaker 1: Point that made the I know it's ridiculous because it's just a pitch, but it made America feel strong. And imagine if George W. Bush would have threw like a Baba booie first pitch in that moment.
Speaker 3: No, and I love that.
Speaker 2: No, but remember the story goes Jeeter tells him like, don't bounce it, Like I love that story, and that was told by George Bush, like that really happened. It's a great call, it's a great story. It's a great moment for sure. Let's talk to Pierce in Albny. Pierce, you're on the show.
Speaker 16: All right, Well, the president throwing out the nine to eleven one kind of Trump's me there. But I gotta say as a Mets fan and you already talked to Mike Piazza also saving America post nine to eleven. Yeah, but Robin venture a Grand Slam single.
Speaker 4: That was a cool moment.
Speaker 2: That was a cool moment, absolutely, And you know, like if you're a little kid watching too, in that moment, that could have changed your life. That's the other thing about it. Like we've seen a lot of great moments at this stage, but for kids too, they stand out. McKinney in Ohio, what's up, Danny?
Speaker 5: Oh, I was just gonna say, I was thinking of some of the records that we've seen broken and I was in the Bay Area in nineteen ninety one. How about Ricky Henderson holding the bag over his head that we.
Speaker 3: Just saw in fifty to fifty. It's never been done.
Speaker 4: It just dawned on me recently. I forgot.
Speaker 1: I honestly, I forgot that we lost Ricky, Like it's it's crazy to think he's gone crazy.
Speaker 3: Uh, McKinney and Ohio, Oh dB, what's up buddy?
Speaker 8: Just along those same lines, remember when that guy from Fresnel called in and started started the Reggie Jackson chant at the A's game.
Speaker 17: Do you remember that? That's right, that guy that called in from Fresno. Yes, what of great moments is that Danny G's brother. I don't think Danny G My brother, my brother started the chant.
Speaker 5: That guy in Fresne claimed it, Fresne.
Speaker 2: That's right, he started. That's right, man, historical moment. Thank you, Dan McKinnie and Ohio. You're on the Cavino and Rich show man.
Speaker 7: You know what.
Speaker 6: I love you guys, show man. I don't think I would like it at first, but man, I don't. I don't miss you.
Speaker 3: Thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now I'm watching the two new Bald Eagles fish in the in the Great Miami River while I'm walking with my dog listening to you guys. My favorite my favorite baseball moment has to do with Crosley Field and they're Floatt outfield. I love that, the Pete Rose thing with him and the nineteen seventy six World Series parade. I know you goys, East Coast West coast, but in the Midwest maybe that's where it's at.
Speaker 2: Hey, dude, a lot of people haven't experienced the World Series parade, but once you do, and if you do it at the right time in your life, that's magical, man, and you'll never forget it. My first one was that I was able to go to as an adult quote unquote adult was in ninety six, and I'll never forget it.
Speaker 1: A lot of guys, a lot of the eighty six Mets never experienced a parade.
Speaker 2: Cocaine exactly exactly. I want to thank you off for your phone calls. Hit us up at Covino and Rich we got to get to Dan Byer with an update.
Speaker 8: I do want to say baseball as well, and it feels like it was in our era, but it's been forever where cheating was not only allowed, but it was captured of, whether it be corked bats, whether it be uh, you know, many rubber balls in baseball bats, whether it be fingernail files like all of that. Like it's you don't see anybody nobody gets busted in the NBA for cheating, right, Yeah, But I mean.
Speaker 1: I always picture it was which necro brother had the file in his back pocket.
Speaker 4: He threw it out, remember that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, gosh, it was one of them, and I've forgot I don't want to accuse the other of doing it, but I.
Speaker 3: Think it was filmed. But again, it could be joking.
Speaker 8: And then all this, oh oh, this my fingernail file, all this whole thing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 8: There is some history made today in Major League Baseball in Texas. It's your two pitch tackleon hits it high in the air, deep right center.
Speaker 3: Fee the only scar sears.
Speaker 6: At the wall.
Speaker 8: It's gone, watch and fly Chick Kagle his first pig league home run. Maybe you get moments like that in the NFL, like first touchdown pass or first touchdown catch, but you don't get that necessarily in the NBA.
Speaker 3: Stunt.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, he had another one later. Royal sweep the Rangers today buy a score of four to one on the Royals radio network, And I just want to congratulate you guys on your twenty years. I will not be in Vegas with you, but I will be here tomorrow. I'll be on the show, but I know it's going to be crazy. But congratulations on the two decades of radio partnership and success.
Speaker 3: You believe that.
Speaker 2: That's one hundred and twenty years in radio years, I have not had one person ask me, are you going to Vegas?
Speaker 8: And I don't know if it's they don't want me to go or they just knew that it probably was never going to happen. But that one person questioned to me and saying, oh, are you going to be making it?
Speaker 2: And I just so you know, let me give you an honest response there too. And I do this a lot. I don't like putting pressure on people. I just don't, you know, So for me personally, it's like, Hey, everybody's invited.
Speaker 3: I don't like the pressure.
Speaker 1: My assumption is that you have a little son, and when we're away, you're you're You're the number one guy they have always filling in and doing all the shows around Fox Sports. And one of our coworkers has a wedding on Saturday, so I just thought, it's a busy.
Speaker 3: Week about me, right, you know?
Speaker 2: But thank you, thank you Dan. Yeah, we couldn't do this without you, so we appreciate it. Thank you, Dan, Byern, thank you Fox Sports Radio Nation. The rest of your feedback at Covino and Rich start thinking about rings Do they matter or do they not? There's two conflicting stories from two teammates. Do rings matter or not that.
Speaker 1: When you ask your rings matter or not, historically people say that's how you remember your champion chips, your rings. And just the other day Lebron we talked about it. He's like, yo, rings don't matter, and we goofed on him a little bit. But a day later, Lakers get sold and the first thing Luca says his teammate, the first thing he says is all right, sweet, this is great.
Speaker 4: Now, let's go win some rings.
Speaker 2: He says, he's super pumped about the Lakers sale and let's go win some rings now. So it's like his own teammate, you have conflicting views on the importance of rings on the team. It's so weird to see this conflict. And on the same day, Rich Yeah, Danny g. Sam Kelsey is quoted today that he's only interested in Super Bowl rings, like his whole purpose in coming back is winning a ring. He wants number four because that solidifies your legacy in a game of wins and losses and championship.
Speaker 5: Feels like two different thoughts, though, because Lebron was pointing out that there's some NBA players that he really respects and thinks are greats and legends, despite the fact they never want a ring. I don't think he's gonna be saying I don't care what happens this season. Hopefully he's still gonna be saying the same thing. Luca just said, let's go win one.
Speaker 2: I'm not ever gonna deny the heart of a Lebron James. Who am I some JABRONI in the studio talking about him. I get it, I'm a fan, but it doesn't make sense. It just doesn't. It just caters to his current narrative because he's not gonna have as many rings as Jordan most likely, so he's trying to downplay the importance.
Speaker 3: That's honestly what I take out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can still be a really great player without one, but you're not held in that same company. And Charles Barkley's always that example, or Dan Reno's always the same. People like really great players, but greatness is also measured in how many championships you won, so I think it always matters. So on the very next day, that's what's ironic about it, Where Luca gets the news that the team was sold in its valued at ten million dollars or whatever. I'm pumped. Let's go win some rings. That just sounds so odd. So do they matter or not? They absolutely matter? Is there any debate? Sure you could be great, but you even greater with a ring. I mean, there's no question that they matter. But in what context? You have to point out what Lebron was saying? Now, I get you, and some other people are gonna say, well, this is just because of the Michael Jordan factor. But if you really listen to what he was saying, I think you kind of get the drift, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: I get what you're saying too. So it's just ironic that the very next day Lucas said the exact operation.
Speaker 5: And we said on the show yesterday with the new Guggenheimen group coming in that they're not really gonna be in place around Lebron, He's probably gonna be out of there. They're gonna be building around Luca.
Speaker 2: And speaking of watches and rings, I always had this theory that if you were ever gonna buy an engagement ring, your fiance should buy you a sweet watch. What do you think about that don't you think there you should get something in return. That's always been my theory.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm fighting for the guy in this. I want a nice watch. Yeah. The men's rings always stink.
Speaker 2: So yeah, exactly right. So anyway, guys, thank you so much for hanging out with us. Over promised on Fox Sports Radio's YouTube page. We do it next, a Rivederci baby, see you in the promising, see you in Vegas.
Speaker 3: Let's go, Yes,