Speaker 1: I Am all In again.
Speaker 2: Oh that's just you.
Speaker 1: I Smell pop Culture with Eastern Allen, an iHeart radio podcast. Hey everybody, it's Eastern Allen. This is the I Smell Pop Culture edition of I Am all In, a podcast hosted by Scott Patterson. He is not here right now. I am here. You're stuck with me. My name is Easton. Scott Herzer has ordained me to host this episode here. Here's what we're gonna do. We're going to explore the pop culture references, the moments, the legends that are referenced in Gilmour Girls, and we're gonna go so deep. We're gonna get to know these people. We're gonna hear the stories that make them pop culture icons. We're going to find out who they are, how they became, who they are, what they created. It's so much fun. We're having the time of our lives over here. This week is so special. I know I say that every time, but this week I really really mean it. Okay, this is a really special guest we have this week because this person wasn't just a pop culture reference on girl More Girls or her role she was in Gilmore Girls. She was in one of the best moments of Gilmore Girls. If you ask me, here's what we're doing. We're talking to mary Lynn Rice Cub. She was Chloe O'Brien in twenty four. I know you love twenty four. I love twenty four, but she was also in Gilmore Girls. We'll talk about that in a second, but first I got to tell you what these references are. There's two references to twenty four that we have found in our research, going back and rewatching the entire show before we did this episode. In season seven, episode nineteen, laurale I says, be right back, Yeah, you know how Jack Bower should torture terrorists make them go car shopping with their exes. Jack Bauer is, of course, the main character in twenty four, which is a drama thriller that was told in real time. I remember when this came out. It was such an exciting thing, like it was like this this is going to be The season is twenty four episodes, and each episode is an hour of the day, and it's the craziest day you could ever imagine. Twenty four started in two thousand and one and ran until twenty ten, with eight seasons. A couple mini series in there, an iconic show. I mean, if you haven't seen twenty four, you gotta watch it. It's really like legendary. Key for Sutherland again in the Star twenty four was mentioned also in Gilmore Girls. When we let's fast forward to a year in the Life Fall, the Netflix revival, Luke and Laurli are working on the guest list for their wedding and we find out that Lucas friends with key for Sutherland, the star of twenty four, and Laura Le says, the real key for Sutherland Chloe. The Canisters are already armed.
Speaker 3: Damn it.
Speaker 1: I can't do these lines, Scott. I can't be in Gilmore Girls. This is embarrassing. But the Chloe that Lurlai references in that moment is played by mary Lynn Rice Cub. She is so funny. She is a comedic actress. She's so funny. But she was the counter Terrorism Units analyst. Get this, everybody, she was in twenty four. The only other person who was in more episodes of twenty four is Key for Sutherland. It's Key for Sutherland, and then Marylyn Rice Cub as Chloe. She was in one hundred and twenty five episodes of twenty four. It's really incredible. So we're gonna talk to mary Lynn here in a second. But I think you already know where I'm going with this. Mary Lynn was in two episodes of Gilmore Girl. She played two different characters. One of the characters was She appeared alongside our beloved Sean Gunn in film by Kirk, one of the best moments in Gilmore Girl's history. She played Kirk's girlfriend in that short film, that black and white film, What do you have to offer?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 1: I love your daughter? What do you have to offer her? That is Marylyn Rice Cub in that short film. We're gonna talk to her all about it. She also returned in season six as the Town True as one of the Troubadours. When there's the town is overrun by Troubadours, she is playing at guitar. She sings about her eighty nine volvo. It's an original song. It's a great moment. We're so excited to talk to Marylyn Rice Cub. It's the Icemail Pop culture podcast. Hi, mary Lynn, thank you so much for doing this.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me. This is exciting.
Speaker 1: So there's so much to get into. I mean, twenty four your stam Up Special We're gonna be talking about that so much great stuff, But we have to get this out of the way. First of all, Gilmore Girls. You are in Gilmore Girls. You're in two episodes of Gilmore Girls. Yeah, but the first one, season two, you started alongside Sean Gun in a film by Kirk, one of the greatest moments in Gilmore Girl's history. I got to know how that happened, how'd that come together?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is the one that people randomly will recognize me, and it shows me how big of fans of Gilmore Girls there are. Amy Sherman Palladino was always a long time I mean I say was always because we know what she became, you know, but at the time the Gilmore Girls was fairly new, and she was a showrunner, but she was also she's always been a massive comedy fan, and so she was really well acquainted with all of us in the local LA scene.
Speaker 3: And you know, I just.
Speaker 2: Feel lucky enough to be in her orbit and that she would ask me, And I mean that part was pretty weirdly tailor made for me a film with Kirk, it made sense. It really needed some follow up. What happened to the two of them?
Speaker 1: Yes, I want to know what happened. Like, so, when when Amy came to you to be in it, like was it did she say like, Hey, we're doing this like weird kind of like experimental film, we want you to be in. How is it pitched to you?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I don't even remember whatever it was. I'm sure it was some version of what you just said of like trying to explain it. But then you know that was in my wheelhouse of like something that was performance already, that was funny, that was not funny, that was awkward. I mean, I don't think she explained it much more than kind of how you just tried to describe it.
Speaker 3: And I'm trying to remember.
Speaker 2: I think I remember being a little bit nervous because it was so weird and open ended for that show in terms of like wait, what is this?
Speaker 3: How does this fit in? And there really was no answer to.
Speaker 2: That, nor could there have been, But as an actor, you get that anxiety of like, wait, how does this fit into the world, fit into the story?
Speaker 3: Am I hitting the right tone?
Speaker 2: It's like all that went out the window because it was just such a weird, odd, you know, and it felt weird and odd and it's like, oh, okay, that's how it was supposed to be, and yes, great, you're happy.
Speaker 3: I'm happy.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that you know that it was as awkward as it felt to do and weird and like like non secretary and.
Speaker 3: What if you say it works, you're the boss. And of course it was what it needed to be exactly.
Speaker 1: It hit everything that I just me personally if we were making this just for Easton. It hit everything that I love. I love awkward things, I love non sequiturs, I love stuff like that. So I was just on the edge of my seat. I wanted more Have you done a lot of like student films that were kind of like that, have you done?
Speaker 3: Actually? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And a word to what you just said, I love like awkward non sequord That makes me think of like the brilliance of Amy is that she knows that and she's able to insert it within the narrative of this already in progress show. But she gives it to us on a platter of like, well, you know this character, and of course he would be the He's the perfect person to make something like this, and then you know what I mean, Like she sees the audience's point of view to just your point to enjoy on that level of like all the townspeople being like, okay, well that was a film by Kirk, Like it was just beautifully done and the black and white and the casting of it is hilarious and weird. And yes, I have been in student films like that, and I have.
Speaker 3: You know, I came up in art school.
Speaker 2: I went to art school and I studied performance art, so and there there was a lot of crossover between people who were straight narrative storytellers.
Speaker 3: But it's, you know, a place where you can blur.
Speaker 2: These lines and not have a script fully formed, not even have an idea that's fully formed, and go ahead and commit that to film or commit that to a performance, even if it's like a gesture or like some kind of half assed thing that seems like way deeper than it really is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was very versed in that.
Speaker 1: Wow, so you have a bad like you say, a performance? Are I love that? Did that? Like when you got into comedy? Did how much did that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Train? Like, I mean I must have prepared you for for like getting on stage and making people laugh, but also like I'm just curious how that training kind of worked into your comedic career.
Speaker 3: Uh, thank you for asking you are you are on point? Because I was.
Speaker 2: I went to school for painting, and I it's a very personal you know, as we all should. All of our paths hopefully are personally, you know, psychologically and emotionally, and you know what you desire oriented if we're lucky enough. I got to kind of follow that path by going to art school to be a painter because I didn't want to just go get a job and I didn't make it any big colleges and so I loved it, but I painting I was sort of imploding, you know. So I started performing and I did acting in high school and as a child, and I really loved it. I just didn't think it was the thing that you go to school for. So I was like, oh, painting, that makes sense. But then painting is such a solitary thing, and I didn't really understand a lot of the critiques and the way that people were building themselves up as painters. It just wasn't like I sort of had this like energy that was busting to get out of me and connection and I think I, you know, I was sort of destined, and so I started doing performance art, but a lot of that stuff mine was always comedic, but I didn't realize it was comedic.
Speaker 3: But I also was just.
Speaker 2: You know, a weird art school kid, so I didn't have the presence of mind to articulate socially or otherwise like a stand up comic.
Speaker 3: I didn't relate to what a stand up comic was.
Speaker 2: So when I started doing performance art, I almost then started making fun of performance art, and that's what pushed me out of the art world and into the comedy world. So I just was able, long winded way of saying, I was just able to take an organic path with that, and a lot of the early performances that I did, I did not understand why people were laughing, but I knew who I was funny, so it was fine figuring out how I was funny, and I got.
Speaker 3: To do that through, you know, being a character on stage.
Speaker 1: It's so beautiful. I love like that style of exploring how you're expressing yourself and how you're finding the type of art you want to make.
Speaker 2: I feel very lucky that I was able to follow that path like that. I really do, because if I had, you know, shown up with the stack of headshots like it wouldn't taking that trying to take the straight path that sometimes you're forcing something that you're not ready to do, or it's it's not really aligned with where you're coming from. And I think that's so important for anyone that's in art of any kind. You have to, you know, figure out what you can really be aligned with. I don't know any more specific way to say that.
Speaker 3: No, No, it makes sense, true to it, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you're speaking of making art. You when you return to Gilmore Girls in season six, you're at the town Troubadour. You're playing some music. You got a guitar on Uh do you play guitar? Do you have a musical background?
Speaker 2: No, I had a comedy band with a friend of mine at the time.
Speaker 3: She taught me how taught up.
Speaker 2: She taught me like three chords and right, and so we just played this Eagles song.
Speaker 3: I think it was, I forgot what song it was, over and over again.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I think Ring a Fire was one of the first, you know, these very awesome songs that I only take three chords. And then we immediately started going on stage, but it was more of a comedy act. She became much better at guitar than I ever did, uh, but I knew enough that I could, and even that on Gilmore Girls, it was nerve wracking, you know, to lay and sing is like so nerve wracking.
Speaker 3: But thankfully I knew that I was only.
Speaker 2: Gonna have to do it, you know, two to four lines of that song, and that it'd be moving on.
Speaker 3: And that was That's also.
Speaker 2: Like the brilliance of it, because I was like perfect, Like if I I mean definitely I would if I was like a Troubadour that was in the whole episode or.
Speaker 3: Had it like an arc, I would figure it out.
Speaker 2: But that was the perfect amount of like, oh, okay, I did that.
Speaker 1: You know, now did you who wrote the song? I want to know that you wrote the song? All right?
Speaker 2: And she let me do it, and you know, again, that's such a testament to her and her trust in her vision and her trust in when she hires people that she likes because she knows what she wants and she knows what she likes and that in that instance, that's what it called for and that's what she needed and she.
Speaker 3: Allowed me to do it. And it was so fun.
Speaker 2: I mean I remember it to this day just you know, it was kind of exhilarating.
Speaker 1: It's such a great moment too, and hearing that about Amy Sherman Palladino is so excited. Like we've interviewed a few people that have been on the show, and they always tell us like, she has such a specific vision for what she's doing, but when she brings people in, she trusts them to do their thing, and that's why she brought them in. I just think it's such a cool balance of like having a vision but also being collaborative and bringing other people in that are creative and have an idea. It's really cool about that.
Speaker 2: And the nutshell is I mean, obviously her immense talent and writing a thing, but but what you just described I think is what makes you know, the most the highest, the most iconic creators I think have that you know, the specificity of vision and the confidence, but then also the trust because it's such a like massive collaboration and and just see over the years, like what she's created it is just mind blowing, Like it's such a testament. It's like, wait, what you did that, and then you did it again, and then you did it and then you're just like are creating the most gorgeous, you know, just on all on all levels, on all layers, just working at the highest, you know, integrity.
Speaker 3: She's it's just she's my favorite.
Speaker 1: It's it's tremendous. It's really sounding. I have to This is like such a nerd question, but I want to ask it because I'm curious. Do you think is the troubadour character the same as the girl in the film?
Speaker 3: Is that the same?
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you for clearing that up. I just wanted to ask, because there's out there.
Speaker 2: If you could bend it and say she became he went through some hard knocks and became a troubadour.
Speaker 3: But no, those are two very different people, Okay, innocence of the girl and Kirk's film, the purity of that.
Speaker 2: Expression versus the grizzled I mean, the Troubadour is pretty sweet and pure too, But but no, I would say the Troubadour has seen some life.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely lived some life. Did you that the short film moment? The audio from it, like went viral on TikTok a few months back. I don't know if you saw that, the like, I love your daughter, what do you have to offer her?
Speaker 3: I saw it.
Speaker 2: I posted a I did it, did one myself, but that my friend found it and he.
Speaker 3: What is the actor's name who has the show that Jordan.
Speaker 2: Were saying, Brian Jordan Alvarez, a friend of mine is a really huge fan of his, and he's like, so I just kept seeing him do and I praised it and he was like, good, then, oh, there you were, and and so that's how I found out. And he's like, you gotta you gotta post on this, and so I did and it was super fun, like I felt like, you know it, it was a it was a fun reveal.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's so awesome. I uh, I just love that. You're like, you're the center of that. It's so cool. But you're also at the center of a world called twenty four and we have we have to get into twenty four. That is your that's a big connection to Gilmore Girls too, and we're going to do that in just a second. This is the I Smell Pop Culture Podcast. We're gonna hear some great commercials. Everybody, one second. It is I Smell Pop Culture on the IML and podcast. My name is Easton Allen. We're hanging out with mary Lyn Riis cub from twenty four from a short film by Kirk a film by Kirk, but twenty four was mentioned a couple times in Gilmour Girls. You know, we love their pop culture references. But Chloe, Chloe O'Brien, your character was specifically mentioned in the Netflix revival. It's in fall and Luke and Lareli are working on the guest list for their wedding and we found out that Luke is friends with Keifer Sutherland. And to clarify, Laurel As, like, you mean the real keeper Sutherland, Like Chloe, the canisters are already armed, damn it. And like Lucas, I guess it's a real key for Sutherland. So twenty four, I mean it went incredible. Run. First of all, I look this up. This is incredible. You're in the most episodes besides Keefer, Like it's him, and then you wow, that's wild. What one hundred and twenty five episodes?
Speaker 3: It's unreal?
Speaker 1: Unreal? Okay, so you joined in season three? How did tell me? How that? How did you because you were doing mostly comedy before this, Like, how did you get into the world of twenty four? Into this?
Speaker 2: Like Thrilla one of the producers had seen me in a movie called Punch Trunk.
Speaker 3: Love, and actually they are.
Speaker 2: I don't know who told who, but they the producers called me in and they said, we like your quality in this movie, this kind of overbearing bossy, and we don't really the part wasn't really written yet. On the page, it was just yes, Jack, and they said, we just wanted to meet with you. We like you for this role. It's not written yet, but we're going to develop it. And it was one of those things where I just thought, well, that was amazing to just be recognized and call in like that.
Speaker 3: I didn't even necessarily think it was going to pan.
Speaker 2: Out, because that's how everything goes, you know, some kind of things that are a sure thing really are not.
Speaker 3: And I was just happy to have the meeting.
Speaker 2: And then it worked out, and I don't it just started working somehow. I remember people being really annoyed.
Speaker 3: With my character at first.
Speaker 2: Because I was sort of seemed like I was getting in the way and I was in know it all. And then the episode I don't remember specifically what the episode was, but they they wrote me they revealed that I actually helped Jack. So up until that point I was just like this, like oh, look, I'm trying. I'm doing it, Like, why isn't anyone listening to me? And then when it showed that I was working with him and I did something to help him, that's when everything changed, because people loved him so much that it suddenly gave this annoying character this whole like, oh wait a minute, we didn't know that about her, so it kind of gave this fun layer to the character that was unexpected that I think just was fun.
Speaker 3: And then from that point on, we just like, you know, roll with it.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad that people came around on Chloe because she's such a great character.
Speaker 3: Well they were forced.
Speaker 2: To because they're like wait, and then it got to the point where it's like, well, he can't do that without her, And.
Speaker 1: Of course, do you consider yourself like a techie person? Was like learning all the jargon hard for you?
Speaker 3: Oh, it was really hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've told this story before where I on the first day of shooting, I, you know, the show was already massively popular, and as you had mentioned, I hadn't really done any dramas and I got thrown on this set and I'm a pretty quick study, and I felt like I had a handle on it, and I did for the first take, and then they go, you know, it's a show like that has done like a film, so there's long breaks while they relighte and you know, everything shifts, but you're still in the same scene. So we went back like twenty thirty minutes later, and the stuff that I delivered once where you know, I had limited experience in like little movies, live comedic sitcoms where you're in front of an audience, and so you know, I did that first take and I'm like, I nailed it. Not that I didn't know there was gonna be like other angles, but I just didn't realize that. My body and my mind were like bye, Like we did it once, like we're done, and like I lit it and I showed up and it just would not come out of my mouth, and I was and the you know, the more it didn't come out, the worse it got. And I just was like got really hot, like so humiliated, and we had to take a break and I had to go into the corner and like drill the line over and over again and kind of like shake it off and come back. We got through the day and then at the end of the day, the director said, don't worry.
Speaker 3: That happens to everyone.
Speaker 2: So I guess that's not And you know that the show was like so intense in the plot, yeah, so quickly that there were so many people over the years that would come on for one episode, two episode, and so you're you're all.
Speaker 3: Of a sudden, it's like and go.
Speaker 2: And so that made me feel a lot better that I wasn't the only one that completely was like, oh, because it doesn't your brain has nothing to hang on to.
Speaker 3: So I developed well.
Speaker 2: First of all, I was much more prepared in terms of working on the memorization instead of being like, oh, I'm a quick study. Because if something's like a natural way of talking, I'm like, oh, that's a natural way of talking.
Speaker 3: But when it's something that you can't, you don't know, you know.
Speaker 2: So I started like drilling it beforehand so I would be over prepared. And then if I really couldn't get it, I developed like a mnemonic. I would just break up the word by sound, and I would associate the sound like you would do with my last name, like how do you you know? Like it's right, it's rice, So you pitt your like a rice and a cub. So it would take these like technical words and just break them down into sounds if I needed to, because sometimes there would be speeches where it would be normal, normal, normal, and then you'd.
Speaker 3: Have to say like four or five like the thing.
Speaker 2: And I can't even do like a fake example right now because they're weird and hard. But you know what I'm saying, like just a bunch of technical stuff where if you're acting and you're in the moment again, your brain can just.
Speaker 3: Be like, mmm, does not I will not adhere to this because the.
Speaker 2: Weird thing happens when you're acting where you're like making it real and then it's almost like it wants to reject the words that it doesn't know. Even if you've studied and you go, no, okay, this word actually means this and you associate it with the thing. Sometimes that didn't work. So yeah, I would break it down into like sounds.
Speaker 1: It's so fascinating because like I mean, I've never acted, I likely will never act, but like it's it's such a like muscle memory part of it. But you also have to, like, you know, put in this creative expression thing. And we hear about this on Gilmore Girls, a lot because with Gilmore Girls, you have to talk very fast, and there's like a lot of you know, you have to and there's there's no improv you have to see exactly what they wrote very fast. And so I'm wondering, like in twenty four, could could you improve it all? Could you go off script? Like how loose were they with that?
Speaker 2: Not really and you but honestly, I imagine it was looser than you would think.
Speaker 3: It would be interesting, like in terms of.
Speaker 2: If you got if you didn't got to turn a phrase wrong, or you maybe added a couple of words and it made sense and felt right, they wouldn't care. I mean, you're not improvising whole scenes on twenty four. But sometimes things weren't like word per or very occasionally sometimes you'd skip something and you like truncated something by accident, and they're like great.
Speaker 3: I mean, Keifer was somebody who really.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a testament to how to be a lead to the show because he was also very conscious of like the movement of the show. I mean, the directors and camera would do this, but he often would take the lead on like let's drop those two lines are expositional, you know, because sometimes from the writer's room to the floor, the writers are like, we have to say this.
Speaker 3: It's like, okay, let's lose that one line and we're on the move.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna be walking and I'm gonna be taking the thing as I'm saying it. So he was always a big proponent of like, how can we make this if any you know, his instincts of like if it feels like it's slow or not necessary, he and he had the instinct and the power and the talent to push that stuff through.
Speaker 1: Wow, what was it? I mean, what's he like? What's it like working with Keiper Siloly? You could be honest, no one will hear this. You can just tell me.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's amazing.
Speaker 2: It's probably what you would imagine. It's probably what you would imagine it's like working with him. He can be very intense because I think like anytime you see him speak in an interview, he's sort of you can see all the components that make up him. He's intense, he cares a lot, he wants it to be good. He has integrity, but he also can be goofy and sensitive and like.
Speaker 3: To play around.
Speaker 2: He also can be angry and passionate, and you know, he's all these things, which is what makes him a superstar.
Speaker 1: Now, this is something I like to ask people, and this is a hard question, but like you twenty four, you were such a big part of twenty four, so many, so many episode. I mean, as we said BEFO one hundred and twenty five episodes. Do you is there a memory like when you look back on your time on twenty four, is there a memory that like jumps out at you right away, like like like wow, I can't believe we did that, or like something you like to revisit when you think about twenty four, like your I don't want to say favorite memory, but like, is there something that happened during the show that just you you visit in your mind a lot. I'm most curious about that.
Speaker 2: I Mean, I don't really think about it that much anymore, but I.
Speaker 3: I will say that coming out of twenty four it was a big adjustment.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure this is like this with anyone who's been on a substantial show for a long period of time. Is that it gets very hard to because there were many many things in my memory like that if I think about it now, because all the time on that show.
Speaker 3: We were in weird locations.
Speaker 2: Of course for me, I was indoor on the computer, but I but I have a lot of memories of hours and hours and hours that we would spend in that you know floor, on that floor and the counter terrorist unit, especially in those early days where it was so new to me, the pacing of a drama and the intensity of it, you know. So I have tons of memories of like little moments of having to deliver this exposition and we're in and we've got the screens and we're just having these serious talks.
Speaker 3: But then I also have many.
Speaker 2: Memories of action stuff of being you know, out on a dock with all these shipping containers or in just just like in weird, crazy locations.
Speaker 3: Like there was so much stuff about it. I was just.
Speaker 2: Uh memorable and intense, and you know, it was serious, but it also was it was fun because we all loved it and we were all crowd to be on it.
Speaker 3: You know, so there was an investment level.
Speaker 2: It was special in that way where sometimes it was hard and you got on each other's nerves, but everybody cared about the show, and everybody was proud of the show.
Speaker 1: It's such a It's one of those shows like that. I think when you look at all of television history, it really like I remember when it came out, was like, oh, it's going to be told in real time, like every episode it's an hour. I was like, oh, whoa, you can do this? Oh my god. And they started thinking about like what's going to be the most boring hour of the day for this one, Like is there going to be a part where everyone's just kind of sitting around eating lunch or something like that. Yeah, now we talk about like like Gilmore Girl's references twenty four, But also this happened in real life Project Chloe at the Department of Homeland Security. Do you know about this?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a program for drones to defend against infrared missiles. How did that feel when you found out that you were your character was named after a or there was a program named after your character.
Speaker 3: That was disturbing?
Speaker 1: Yes, crazy, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Very bizarre. And the extent that like.
Speaker 2: People in the in the in the where that worked in the government were crazy about twenty four Like that I meant, I met a lot of people that had the equivalent of our job that were like, yeah, we don't things don't move that fast, you know. Actually at the time, it's like we don't have the technology to do even half the stuff, right, So it was fun but kind of disturbing to know that that was named Chloe. I.
Speaker 1: Mariy Lynn Rice Cub is with us. This is the Ice Smell Pop Culture Podcast. We're going to take one more quick break. We have more to get into. I have a question for you about your past, and we got to talk about your your new special road gig. It's on YouTube. Stick around everybody, We'll be right back. It is the Icewell Pop Culture Podcast. This is Easton Allen hanging out with mary Lynn Rice Cub. I'm feeling so confident in seeing your last name now I shout it from the rooftops. So I read that you worked at the movie theater inside the Beverly Center. Is that right?
Speaker 3: That is true? I also worked at the Hard Rock Cafe.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I worked at that movie theater and I was not good good research.
Speaker 3: I was not concession stand material, that is what I told me. So I got.
Speaker 2: Reduced to taking tickets because they didn't trust me at the concession stand to interact with the public.
Speaker 3: And more than just taking a ticket.
Speaker 1: I had the exact same experience.
Speaker 3: What do you mean.
Speaker 1: I worked in a movie theater too, and I worked my way to the concession stand. But I was that I had to take the tickets and clean the theaters and tell people like, uh oh, open water would be up to your right theater five.
Speaker 2: We both did that, Thank you cleaning the theaters. Who knew there was like a real hierarchy at the movie theater.
Speaker 1: Right, it was crazy like and then the people in the box office forget about it. Those were like untouchable. But did you ever find anything really weird when you're cleaning a theater or like, like, what was the craziest thing you found? If you can remember anything?
Speaker 3: No, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything. I don't think that job lasted very long for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember eating some leftover candy. Wow, right, you know desperate times. Yeah, I get it, get candy and I needed it to get through that shift.
Speaker 1: I was jealous the people that worked in movie theaters inside a mall, because I'd like the one I worked at was in a shopping center. It wasn't the same. And I loved fast times at Ridgemont High and I wanted to be like that kid, you know, like, oh, the girl at the pizza shop across the wall. You know, I wanted that experience. But you have a new special out. It's on YouTube. It's called road Gig. You filmed it at Zanies. Tell us about this comedy special. What can people expect from that? Why should they watch it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm really proud of this special. I talk a lot about I touch upon my career a little bit. I talk a little bit about twenty four I talk about being a parent, being a woman in the world. It's a little raunchy. It's I had one night to do it. One show. The audience did not know I was doing a special. Wow, so and it was a particularly they were a great audience, Like we really got rolling.
Speaker 3: I feel like if you watch this, you'll feel like you're.
Speaker 2: Hanging out with me, and you'll get to know me and get to know stories that you can like sit back and be like, Okay, that are you know, relatable and unique. But also the audience piped up to talk to me quite a lot, especially doing a taping.
Speaker 3: I wanted to be like, this is my special. In fact, within.
Speaker 2: The first minute there's a guy pointing at his friend and I was like, yes, like he.
Speaker 3: Has his hand raise I'm just starting.
Speaker 2: The show, like okay, yeah, and we left it all in. He goes she was on twenty four and so I had a whole conversation with this woman who worked a day on twenty four was killed, and he was like, I got you, like I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: You know, like, oh yeah, I'm gonna shout out.
Speaker 2: I'm like I am, like I do have a microphone, And I'm glad you were on it for one day. I was on it for about eight years. May I please continue with my show now? But it was very and there were a lot of things that happened like that where I was interacting with the audience. But it's a very fun show. I'm very proud of it.
Speaker 1: Doing stand up, you get Heckler's you get you know, like or I don't know. There's a weird line between like someone like trying to be combative or like aggressive and then people who think they're like gonna be part like that's there's some many people who think that's how comedy shows work. Is like I'm gonna yell something at the stand up and they're gonna interact with me, Like, how do you handle that kind of thing, like when someone just starts yelling at you from the audience.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean there's many different ways.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know it's like a case by case thing, but like, do you like to kind of go back and forth with them? Do you want to shut it down right away? Is there something like you have an instinct to do?
Speaker 2: I think when I first started touring on the road, I probably and occasionally I'll be like, Oh.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to get through. I just wanted to do my material.
Speaker 2: Like there are there are nights where I'm like frustrated because the audience is because it can take you in a different direction. But for the most part, I've accepted this and it just becomes part of the show.
Speaker 3: And most of the.
Speaker 2: Time people are nice and they don't realize that they're interrupting momentum or they're stepping on a punchline. But I'm to the point in doing this where it's just it just can be a free for all. And I really I shouldn't say that because I don't invite that, but you know, it's it's almost like I've jumped the shark on hecklers, because I've dealt with so many hecklers. Like I just did a show in Arlington and I think I turned it back on. I was like, well, what did you whatever it was the topic they were piping up about.
Speaker 3: I ended up saying to this guy like, well, what did you do in the relationship?
Speaker 2: And the guy's like like he felt like he was put on the spot, and I was just laughing.
Speaker 3: I was like, we are all in support of you.
Speaker 2: We just started like, but now, like he left some like it was something about, you know, going through a divorce or a breakup where he said something juicy but he didn't say it, so I was.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, we have to know, and then he felt like put on the spot.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, it's it's to the point where I'm just none of it really even throws me in any way. I Mean, certainly there are nights where there's a momentum and I want to keep it going and I'll.
Speaker 3: Just be like blah blah blah, like shut it down with like a comment or two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But you know that's the thing with live performance, it just goes where it goes.
Speaker 1: Do you have a do you have a favorite club across the country that you like look forward to playing.
Speaker 2: I mean, Zaniews is pretty fantastic, uh, legendary. I like performing in New York. I don't get the chance to do that very much.
Speaker 3: You know. I love the Comedy Store in LA.
Speaker 2: I love like most of the clubs in the La that the Improv and the Left Factory.
Speaker 3: I just did Tulsa Looney Bin.
Speaker 2: It was fantastic at the Dallas Comedy Club recently, so you know, it's discovering new clubs as well. The punchline is fantastic. Side Splitters Florida as a classic one for me that I revisit. You know, when I first started doing the Road, that was one of the first clubs.
Speaker 3: That I did.
Speaker 1: Well. If mary Lynn Risk is coming to your town, go see her, and if not, go to YouTube. Put this on the big screen. It's called road Gig. Watch this right now. Everybody turn off this podcast immediately before the more ads start playing. Go watch this video. Thank you so much for doing this. You're so cool. We're such big fans of you. And thank you for being in a Kirk by a film by Kirk.
Speaker 3: Yes, we got to get we got it. We need the full movie. The fully film of Kirk, Film by Kirk.
Speaker 1: We need a theatrical release.
Speaker 3: Thank you, East and I really appreciate you.
Speaker 1: You're just the absolute best. Thank you so much, Dotty everybody, and don't forget follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.