Speaker 1: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening.
Speaker 2: You are tuned in to the Vitamin D with Dawn Day podcast and I am your host, Dawn Day, here to get you excited about your life so that you can live life on purpose and for a purpose. If this is your first time tuning in and welcome Vitamin D, it's upon of my name. My name is Dawn, and you get Vitamin D from the sun. So I'm here shed light into your life. And I do this with inspirational insights and conversations with celebrities and everyday people like you and me, Because if you want to be better and you want to do better, then you're going to have to be able to see better.
Speaker 1: So join me on this journey of living.
Speaker 2: Our best lives and understanding and realizing how you are your greatest asset.
Speaker 3: Get your Vita Mandy right with me and get excited about your life.
Speaker 2: Well, hello, there, it's a Tims Somethinger Thursday. I'm just wondering is there enough good news to share now? Last time I was here, I said, hey, the next time you see me live, you hear me live or you hear me on't repeat because you're listening to the podcast.
Speaker 1: Well, you're going to have a new president. And for many it was a.
Speaker 2: Somber day, and I'm sure for some it was a great day. So I said, I figured, I want to make sure on this show today that I want to hear from you. I want to open up the phone lines to strengthly have a conversation about the election results. Yes, Donald J. Trump has been announced as the forty seventh president. Now many have had mixed reviews. Many feel like their rights are being abused.
Speaker 1: What say you, you.
Speaker 2: Know I have to stretch it there, But no, these are the times of conversations that I want to assure to express and direct strictly from the people about how they feel with this new type of leadership. And what I've realized too, is that in this discussion, I want to make sure it's a safe space so that people can really express because this is not going to just affect one person. This is not going to just impact one community, one country. This is essentially going to impact the lives around the world. And I know that sounds dramatic. You're like, Dawn, he is the president of the United States, are soon to be. But still there's a lot of talk about the tariffs we're talking about certain individuals or groups immigrants being deported. This is the thing that's the biggest thing ever, on top of the fact people have talked about Project twenty five. What does this mean for women? And if you are not a woman, do you have a daughter, a sibling, an aunt. This is a tille that's going to be three sixty five on a three sixty a round. So this is the show that today I said, I'm not starting off with a Vitamin D.
Speaker 1: I'm not starting off with a Vitamin.
Speaker 2: D advice letter. I want to get straight into the pocket. I made sure that I made time to pull up and now let's talk about it. What does this mean?
Speaker 1: Are you mad? Are you sad? Or are you glad?
Speaker 2: That Donald Trump has now been announced as the forty seventh president. Again, this is strictly with the conversation. So I want to say, right now, call me, call me in the studio right now eight one eight four six ' one fifty four thirty two. I am actually putting the number in the chat. I need you to call me right now. I even had someone at here at the station, the studio and before the last time we had the conversation on Halloween. Last week Thursday, I was in a debate with a personal friend that has been in front of the show Elle and was like.
Speaker 1: Yo, I'm in between, like I see the good and Donald and you know, I see some stuff in Kamala. Oh Kamala Lord? Did I just leant out her name Lord Kamala? And here's the thing. My friend was like, wait, what how could you support this? But then I called him because I was coming in the studio today and he said, you know what, I got to talk to you about something. Who was at your sister on the phone. I said, well, that's my sister. Friend.
Speaker 2: He was like, you know, it's unfortunate that the votes didn't go in the favor of majority of the people.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, okay, well what do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: He was like, well, I had to do some extensive, extensive research and I had to really think about it. And he was like, I have to think about my daughters and what this means to them. And I said, wow, it was.
Speaker 1: Very impressive, because you know, sometimes people can be on they stubborn, stool, you know, just don't want to bunge, don't want to have open hearts, open minds.
Speaker 2: But he said, hold up, wait a minute, Dawn. I want to share something with you. I had a chance to think about it.
Speaker 1: So we've had what we had about a good forty eight hours to think about what this selection means. So the phone lines are open. I'm waiting for you to call me.
Speaker 2: Tell me something good, tell me something not so good, but just talk to me. I pulled up specifically for us, for us to engage in dialogue, because there are some good things and maybe some not so good things.
Speaker 1: Hey, Joe, Joe called me. I don't know if I ever heard your voice call me in a studio, Joe pulling up on Facebook.
Speaker 2: Joe, I want you to call me right now. I will pull up on you and call you, but I don't have your number. Call me right now. Eight one eight four six one fifty four to thirty two. I'm looking at the phone right now, Joe, is that you? And good evening as well, because in a minut I'm about to start calling people. Don't just sit here and look at me, because I feel like, honestly, truth be told, we've been sitting around looking around too long, because now it's time to to start action. Joe said, no, okay, Joe caught the memo. Joe, well, I want to welcome anyone else that would like to call for real. This is a real conversation. And if we can't have this conversation amongst ourselves, then.
Speaker 1: What are we doing? Bear? Can you call me? I want to hear from you Bear.
Speaker 2: In fact, if none, I'm about to call Miss Mayan because I just want to hear some thoughts using opinion and also beer.
Speaker 1: Since you're on I was thinking about this too.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of rhetoric going around talking about how black men aren't trusting women, or how come of black men aren't supporting Kamala and how they're going to polls.
Speaker 1: Then you know, the results came in. I believe it was over seventy percent of black men that actually voted, and they voted in Kamala Harris's favor. So what does that mean now? What they did show on the polls.
Speaker 2: I believe it was white men, white women, and also Latino men, if I'm not mistaken, who did majority of the vote when it came down to Donald Trump. So the question stands, how do you feel about it? You gotta have some type of view, thoughts or opinions and let me just be clear. We are not here to bash. We are not here to bash. We're here to have a conversation because just like anything, you eat the meat and you spit out the balls. Right, Can I share something with you? Is this a safe space? Because when I'm about to say, I don't know how I was gonna be received. But all I know how to do is keep it real, so you know the dam So one.
Speaker 1: Of the things that I was thinking about.
Speaker 2: And again I can't say that I'm deeply well versed when it comes to politics, but.
Speaker 1: One thing I don't know to the extent of what it means.
Speaker 2: But when it comes down to people who are not legal citizens and whether or not should they stay, I'm gonna have to say no. I think the same opportunities should come about for everyone to do your research, to file your paperwork to become a citizen.
Speaker 1: But I don't think I see anything wrong.
Speaker 2: Let me be mindful of my words, because once it's out there, it's out there about how it feels whether or not those who are not legal citizens should be deported. I mean, think about it this way. If you just think about the economy overall, Yes, you have people who perhaps will work for a lower rage to do work. But what does that mean for the people that are living in society, in the community, because now those jobs are being taken away.
Speaker 1: Think of it like this.
Speaker 2: If you are a baby boomer, you've been at a job, okay, then all of a sudden they hiring some young buck to come through that they are paying twenty dollars less. Right, you can imagine the duress that a lot of people experience. Well, why wouldn't that be the same thing or the same case when it comes to people who are not legal citizens of the United States. We are taking jobs away from people that reside here, the people that are paying taxes here.
Speaker 1: So my thing is is.
Speaker 2: That not that they should not be here, but you should be here under the same uh, I want to say, under the same context of everybody else got to be a citizen.
Speaker 1: You gotta apply. You need to learn what it is that we do.
Speaker 2: So all right, Latasha's and ows, this's how you want to call me or IM about to call Miss Maya. What we about to do? Because I want to hear your thoughts and you were at the polls. What's going on?
Speaker 1: Dale? Dale?
Speaker 2: What's going I saw Dale last Saturday over at black Man's wellness day and Miss Felicia, his wife. Now, this is what I'm gonna do. I'm about to pull up on Miss Maya because she specifically send me her number and I took it.
Speaker 1: She wanted me to call it.
Speaker 2: Let's see what happened, Miss Latasha, you might be up next.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, sare Miss Maya?
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 4: Oh so, so, how you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm good. You know I've made an in on a live Are you tuning in?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was just about to jump on right now, just fishing clean up my kitchen. Hat I didn't get it. I was just like, okay, I'm gonna go pit the track away. I'm talking about cleaning up my kitchen now, I'm not not talking you know you guys right?
Speaker 1: So I called you live on the air right now?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah? Do you want me to call you back?
Speaker 2: I was calling because I wanted to know what your thoughts were with the results of the election.
Speaker 4: Oh man, I'm really heartbroken because I did not vote for him. I didn't want him to win, you know, because of how he is. Look at what he did, and you know, it's just too much. How could they let somebody like that in the White House?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: It's like, I don't know. I just think that I wouldn't say that the election was rigged, but I think something may have gone on inside that we don't know about yet, because if it would have been him, if he would have lost, oh man, blowing up stuff girl like he did last.
Speaker 2: Time, and what he did, he made a village player of what could happen, or that there could be a major issue if he didn't win.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, that's I'm just still heartbroken over it. I don't even know what to say right about now.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: I got to try to get myself together because I want to give myself sick over this man, because if I do, what is he gonna do? He ain't gonna do nothing, don't even know me, and ain't even gonna care. He's just happy that he won and he has power now, you know. But it is what it is, you know, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: One of the things how be honest and true about it is that he's never went into hiding about who he is.
Speaker 1: He's came forth since they won.
Speaker 2: And I feel as though a lot of people were attracted to that, to the fact that he is he is.
Speaker 1: It's very clear who he is.
Speaker 2: And you know, while some people say, oh, was it rigged, President Biden came forth and say the electoral votes are as transparent as they can get. And I think, if anything, we ought to take a look around and say, hey, this is what America wanted truly, And so then it becomes well, what does that say about America?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Don I'm just like, oh, man, I have a daughter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, today's her birthday too. I'll tell her. I think she went in there to go and take a chute. She's gonna she Dominia Hills and she just signed out. She she she wants to be a KA. So they have like these meetings every day. Girl, And I'm like, why you want to do all that? She she's gonna finish in May of next year. So but yeah, so yes, I have a daughter. But yeah, it's it's bad. How how Trump want to do for women. You know, it's bad.
Speaker 1: That is bad.
Speaker 4: I don't want, you know. And I and I told my daughter, I said, make sure you gonna vote. She said she did. And I know, and my son and my husband, I'll see it. But we went together, you know. So hmm, yeah, we did. But my daughter she said she did vote, so she said she did. She didn't vote Trump. You know, all of us is for Kamala. But girl, I don't know. Don I'm just like a lot.
Speaker 1: Of people saying they getting not a dodge. That's what they said. They said, they're getting not a dodge.
Speaker 2: I think I think right now is that we have to uplift the conversation about what does this mean as what we need to do as a people because it is what it is now.
Speaker 1: We can't cry over spilled milk, But how do we move forward?
Speaker 2: In fact, Dale Cornelie, he says on Facebook, California showed up for Kamala but dropped the ball on the propositions that matter. Can't cry over spilled milk, So now it's time to educate our people and move forward as one.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm yeah, Okay, I guess that's the only thing.
Speaker 2: We can do is move forward because the past is behind us and we're not going that way. But the thing about it is what's happening with Project twenty five.
Speaker 1: The past could be right here in the present.
Speaker 2: I mean, if we just think about it all the way, that he's talking about the police officers.
Speaker 1: Has they have immunity? Now we know what is being done without the immunity with being sue. Can you imagine having free reign to do whatever however whenever you want, regardless of.
Speaker 2: Who the American president is. The good Lord oversees the final decision.
Speaker 1: Amen. Okay, well, miss mine, I just want to see that if you have some of you.
Speaker 2: Want to specially say a shout out or anything, just in this conversation, because you made sure, you said you got my number, lock me in?
Speaker 1: I said, I got it.
Speaker 4: I know, No, you know, may keep my number. No, No, I've been with.
Speaker 1: Her long time, since day one.
Speaker 4: I was like, I'm gonna keep with her, conversation, relations point with her, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well I got another call coming in. Okay, call me back, and you didn't coming out?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, I'm saying login right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, okay, okay, talk to me.
Speaker 7: Hello, Hello, Hey, who's this?
Speaker 6: This is brother? First? How are you doing?
Speaker 1: Oh? Proverb? What's the word?
Speaker 6: Yeah? How you was doing?
Speaker 2: I think it's a lot of still digestion and what's going on. I ain't gonna hold you. I was anxious. I was anxious leading up to what the results are. The fact of the matter, we have to realize this is what the people wanted. Oh, I think you know. I'm gonna say this lightly because I want to make sure I, you know, say it. But I was just saying on the start of the show. One of the things that make room for me, y'all, as I get this out of my mouth and let me clear it up if it sounds sideways, is that I'm not mad at the whole idea of Trump saying he wants to deport illegal immigrants. Okay, And I say that because I do think it's a little bit unfair to have those who basically you're essentially taking jobs away from people that do live in the US.
Speaker 1: And I get it.
Speaker 2: You know, on one end, you have somebody that may do better work, you can play them, pay them less.
Speaker 1: But if you can't empathize from how I just stated that, it's.
Speaker 2: No different if you're a baby boomer and you're in the workflorce and you got all these young people you know, coming in when you're paying them twenty dollars less with less experience, and you out of the job.
Speaker 1: Well, aren't we knocking our own people out of jobs.
Speaker 6: So true, man, that's true.
Speaker 8: That is true. I just you know what, I had a very interesting conversation with your nephew, my son, and he doesn't you know, how he thought about the election. I told him I wasn't gonna put him on blast about anything he did or how he voted, but it was really interesting hearing what he thought about it, and he basically kind of went old school. He said, you know, it's everything is based upon our movement on how we do. The president is always gonna be put out there, but it's always up to us to make sure that we provide and we make sure that everybody understands. The truth of the matter is we're here. We've always been here dealing with whether it's good or bad. But the question is when are as a as a people, When are we gonna start getting together on what we believe in? That's the question, you know, because it's so much stuff that the undertow is about to happen. There's so much stuff that people aren't ready for, but they think they're ready for it, and it's it's it's it's strangely enough, when you have a profession like what I'm doing, and they tell you, guess what, We're gonna replace you with a computer robot, a AI that's going to drive around the city and we just want you to sit there and watch it. That's kind of crazy in a sense. So I'm looking at a lot of things differently now. It's just preparation and understanding that truly, you go to college to get these degrees, but your degree really ain't gonna be worth too much of anything when they don't even want to pay you what you do.
Speaker 6: So it's it's crazy. I feel I.
Speaker 8: Feel like we're gonna learn a lot for these four years, so just get ready for it. That's that's pretty much what it is.
Speaker 6: And then learn y'all.
Speaker 8: Learn about your local systems, learn about the judges, learn about the court systems, because courts can control a lot of stuff that we weren't we weren't familiar with.
Speaker 1: So that's it.
Speaker 8: You've got to be We gotta start being good to ourselves. We're not.
Speaker 6: We treat that.
Speaker 8: We treat each other so badly out.
Speaker 6: Here in these streets.
Speaker 8: It's it's ridiculous.
Speaker 6: So that's it. That's it. That's all I have to say.
Speaker 8: Much love, piece says, keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 8: I don't never want to see you.
Speaker 6: Just stop.
Speaker 8: Just keep going. That's all I'm gonna keep saying.
Speaker 6: Just keep going.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you. Emotional there pulled a cord there, you know, just truth be told. I said, I, you know, I got my show coming up at the grownds. I got my shirt and I was like, I gotta finish up my script. I was like, but I told everybody that I was gonna be live, and I'm like, is it foolish for me to come up here? And my friend was like, no, Dawn, you know you're building your audience and your fan base. You gotta stand by your and your integrity and pull up. So you calling me, I didn't have to call you. I appreciate that, so thank you.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, it was funny because Tuesday had came and gone, and I was like, I'm not gonna miss Thursday. I had announced that Tuesday Thursday because I knew we was gonna have plenty to talk about it after the selection. I was like, oh, yeah, we're gonna talk'na talk. So yeah, it's very interesting. Just keep your im I'm keeping you prayed up and just like, just be caringfied in these streets and enjoy life. Keep that smile on your face.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, big brother.
Speaker 8: Have no problem, big right, going to the gym though. I'm breaking this down.
Speaker 6: I'm baking it.
Speaker 1: Did you see my IG story? I'm outside?
Speaker 6: I did.
Speaker 8: I think I seen you in the jail mistake.
Speaker 6: You're out there, you outside?
Speaker 1: I feel it, Honey said, it's about to be crazy.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, ma'am, Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 8: All right, well, I will just reach out to me. I'm off this week.
Speaker 1: So all right, I'll call you. All right. I loved you. Bye. What does this mean?
Speaker 2: I almost but he said he didn't want to put his son on blast. But I am interested to see what the young people are talking about, because honestly, we do have to shift our mindset. Now. The thing that's interesting is that, you know, we're looking on a one lens about how the controlling of women's bodies and so forth. How can we not having more control of what's happening with AI that's really impacting our economy in the world, Because I guess, just like Elon mus said, you know, the people that's certainly gonna struggle is the middle class now, I was just looking at a post somebody had put up, and he says, black folk. With Republicans controlling the House, Senate, and Supreme Court, Trump could push his qualified immunity law, which will turn America spelled a m me r I kkka into hunting season for us. Stay vigilant and get active. What does that mean to you? What does that mean to you? Does it scare you? What do you think we need to do?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: One thing, Brother POVERB made very clear. He said, you know what, we need to get more involved of what's happening locally when it comes to voting and knowing who our judges are, because those are the things that closely impact us. And I realized that a lot of people really get hyped up for election for the presidential election, But what about the local elections, the people that are amplifying our voice before it gets to the White House or gets up into the whole political atmosphere.
Speaker 1: What does that look like? So I want y'all to call me.
Speaker 2: We're talking about after the election has been announced.
Speaker 1: Are you mad? Are you sad? Are you glad that Donald J?
Speaker 2: Trump has been elected as the forty seventh president? Let's talk about it. I pulled up specifically so we can talk about it.
Speaker 1: Now. Latasha, where you at?
Speaker 9: Girl?
Speaker 1: Do I need to call you?
Speaker 2: Because I think I feel as though you have a different lens amongst everybody else, because you actually said that you were out at the polls, you saw what was going on.
Speaker 1: What how do you feel?
Speaker 2: What does this mean to our community? What does this mean for our community? I want to hear from y'all. Call me in the studio, or we can cut it short. I'm just saying. I mean, I'm here for a conversation, Natasha.
Speaker 1: Call me, girl. I'm looking for your number right now, call me right now? What you mean? What's sad about this? Why are you so sad about it? Let's vocalize this.
Speaker 2: Have we really thought what this means for us, for our future, for our community?
Speaker 1: H all right, let me call Natasha.
Speaker 9: I are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good. I'm grateful to be alive.
Speaker 4: How you do, I'm blessed in Holly favor.
Speaker 1: Amen. So the results have been announced. Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump is president. How do you feel about it?
Speaker 4: It's sad. It's very sad because now we're at a stage for the next few years, the unknown. What can possibly be a disadvantage for us as African Americans black however we may want to call ourselves but it's very fad because we don't know now and he's not really for US African Americans at all. And when I was working the polls, I was really, I'm gonna be honest, I was really surprised that a lot of people were voting for Trump that were African Americans and Hispanic. My attitude was, you know, knye. I was like, oh, okay, Hanna, you know, compose myself. But at the same time, I'm saying, why do you not see what this man is going to do? Do you not see what's ahead of us? Do you have grandchildren? Do you have children? I mean, what's going on? I mean, do you not see it? Or or am I just blind? I don't know. That's to cut one thing about me. Don Whenever I get ready to do my voting, I always play that song by Teddy Pinograd so loving in the blue notes. I don't remember, but it's called wake Up Everybody. It's no sleeping in bed sleeping Yes, Yes, that is my number one song that I always play when it's time to get ready to vote. And it's very important. It's very important that we get us as African Americans out to get out and vote. But it's sad who's in office. I'm also sad because the DA gasking, as you know, I work for La County, get his seat.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: So then what about the ones who have the loved ones that are incarcerated. What's gonna happen?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: You know, he was not for the big punishment being locked up in jail. He was more for the treatment program. And this new guy he's offered the big punishment. But at the end of the day, like I always say, by me working in the jail, four walls, bars around you, what are you doing. You're not solving the situation. You're not solving anything. All he's doing is bringing up more mental health issues. Right now, I'm sorry, Don, I'm watching on the news of pursuit of a shooting that's going on, and I know this young lady will be at my jail tomorrow morning for some valley and I'm gonna have to evaluate her. What US African Americans?
Speaker 1: What do you mean that?
Speaker 6: Wait?
Speaker 1: Wait, whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.
Speaker 2: Back up to say, you're watching a pursuit, and you know that this woman is going to end up at your jail.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's going to be there tomorrow morning, because what happens is she would get arrested. It's on the notes right now. I mean, as you know, we all in California. So I'm watching take Cow news and it's a high speed tase going on a pursuit shooting of a suspect. And so it's a young lady. They're African American inside the car, and normally once they get pulled over with both end, they end up at the women's jail. So when I go to work tomorrow, guess who's going to be evaluating her. Whether she's going through mental health issues or if it's substance. I don't know, just shit, but there's something going on.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you this. You don't feel like she should go to jail?
Speaker 4: Well, I didn't even really get the whole I'm so focusing you. At the same time, I didn't really understand why is the pursuit, what's really going on behind it? You know how the news can put anything up, so we don't really know and to you know the next day, what really happened. I think she should if she committed that type of crime. She didn't, then I have an issue with that because as I'm working in the jails, I have well, I'm one of the people that on the panel that makes a decision if we're going to send you to prison, if we're going to release you or put you on a treatment program. Me personally, I hear your case, I hear everything out, I look at your past history, and I feel that jail is not always the solution. Prison is not always the solution. Now, I do have some young ladies. They do let me know I would like to go to prison, Okay, why, And then I have to understand are you afraid of society or society afraid of you? Which one is it? And then once I dig a little bit deeper, as they call it folks, the bear, then they end up telling me why they want to.
Speaker 2: Go and what are some of the uncommon reasons or that people would be to find out.
Speaker 4: I'm just shocked, period. But now some of the reasons they may say, I don't want to be here at the county jail prison. We get more food, we get more activities, we get more wreck or whatever may be the case.
Speaker 1: Then you never know.
Speaker 4: They may have been a witness of something, or they may have been a part of something.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: That's one reason why. Because people know when people are getting transported, even though we're at the women's jail, from the time you leave us, get on the bus, go wherever you're going. People know because they they're able to keep track just like we are. They're able to go inside the system just like we are, but they can't go as deep. But they can go on LASD which is the La County Sheriff Department Booking Sheet, and it can let you know this person was released here, this person went here, so you know where they're at. But if they went to a treatment program or of course, you don't know where they're at.
Speaker 2: So what's the possibility that somebody might want to go to prison because they want to be locked up with somebody else that they may have beef with?
Speaker 1: Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 5: I have not.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. What I'm trying to say is say, like, for instance, I'm gonna give you a Parmy doubles, it was a killing out here. Just say La County there was a killing, and content I'm just making up something. There was a killing and content the girl end up giving twelve years. Then she gets shipped to CCW with it a chumpshill of prison up there, you know, further out she gets shipped there. A lot of girls may know already Okay, this is such and such name. She was a part of a killing. And you know, either they're going to jump you or either they're going to help you. And sometimes that does happen. Oh wow, And it's sad, It's really really it's sad. I mean, I love my job as a social worker, don I do? Because I felt that I'm making a difference every day inside the jails with the young lady, and I am giving everyone an opportunity where to the point that hey we can change things around, maybe look at life a little bit different. But at some point I had to stay dan down to myself. They're constantly an open door. So what am I going to do?
Speaker 6: You?
Speaker 4: Constantly? I let you out, you come back ten or twelve days later, I said, what happened? You tell me I had the monkey on my back. I had to understand what that was because I sure didn't know what that meant until someone told me.
Speaker 1: And on drugs, right, yeah, at.
Speaker 4: First I thought they were talking about my rape, so I was on prison, but I didn't. I was just like, okay, because I thought they were talking about my rage. So I took it a different way because they were sending a monkey on their backs and I didn't know what that meant at the time. And I was just like, what, she's talking about my race and they were like, no, she's talking about facing the drug. I said, oh, okay, now I understand what it was meaning, because my mind went somewhere else, like, you're not going to keep on telling me this in my faith right? So I had to do a lot of you know, reality check within myself, and at the end of the day, I ended up putting the woman in the treatment program. And she's doing well from what I hear.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, thank you so much for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me ask you this, so because you do work within the correctional system facility, however you want to say it.
Speaker 1: Proposition thirty six.
Speaker 2: I was on the ballot and I believe individuals voted yes, and I think it's and I family you watching you listen and make rooms if I misspeak on something just noted in the comments.
Speaker 1: But essentially with Proposition thirty six. It's a harsher punishment for those who keep returning back or keep committing crimes. Do you think that the punishment should get more severe or you think that's unfair?
Speaker 4: I think it's unfair. What are you doing? I mean, what are you?
Speaker 6: What are you?
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, y'all, what are you doing? I mean to me, you go to jail, we lock you up for thirty days or sixty days, then you get out, then you come back. I mean there is something going on mentally. There is something really going on mentally, but people don't think of that. All they see is African American men, African American women, or Latino men or women clean, clean, That's what they see because that's what's predominantly in our jails as we speak now. It's dominantly African American and Latinos. Other cultures very little, but it's mainly US.
Speaker 1: You know, interesting, I didn't take your perspective and consideration.
Speaker 2: I ignorantly the first thing I'm thinking about, if you keep committing a crime, yes, it's going to get more severe because you haven't learned your lesson. And why am I still going to keep putting a lot of spanking on your wrists because clearly it's like somebody, you keep giving them the rope, they gonna soon hang themselves. But I mean, I'm just saying, why shouldn't it be more severe? Like why do you keep doing it? At what point do you stop?
Speaker 4: Right? Right? And that's where I come in where I want to poke the bear. I want to constantly poke the bear because I want to know there's something, there's some underlying issues that I'm not aware of in some kind of way. I'm gonna try my best to get them out of you and then we work through them, the underlying issues. Because trauma can start at a young age, child can be molested, whatever may be the case, and that trauma will carry them for so long gone until they become adult, and then they act out with the trauma or they go and start drinking or smoking or doing activity, you know, going to jail, back and forth, back and forth, because they're trying to cover up what they're going through trauma, and it brings in PTSZ, it brings in anxiety, it brings in depression.
Speaker 2: You made a great point just there now that I think about it, Your right, and is this supposed to basically take people's lives away or help carve.
Speaker 1: Out a new pathway.
Speaker 2: And I think that's probably like the underlying thing when we think about our prison systems, the jails. Is it about just taking somebody's opportunity in life or do we need to get to the heart of the matter because it happens to the.
Speaker 4: Part of the matter. I don't believe that everyone should belong in jail just because you committed a crime. I understand, but at the end of the day, you're still human. You put on your pants just like me, one leg and punch. You still got blood flowing through your body just like me. You're no different than me. The only difference is you committed a crime and I did not. But that doesn't mean that you're a bad person to me. No, we're gonna find out what's really going on, at least I do. I can only speak for me, don I can't speak for the other social workers in the jails, But I'm gonna tell you one thing about me, and they will let you know this one. She's gonna make sure she helps you get you out, and if you return back again, she's gonna be upset, but she's gonna try again. And then after a while, like I said, I have to wake up and say what's going on? Because I'm giving you to get out of jail free card. What are you doing with it? It's something going on that I don't know, but I need to get to the bottom of it.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for your thoughts.
Speaker 4: Thank you. And when Gas can leave in office, it's gonna be hard. It's gonna be It's gonna be.
Speaker 1: Do you think this means for La.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he's gonna He got voted out by the other guy. I can't think of the other guy's name, Jane.
Speaker 1: What does this mean for La?
Speaker 4: Yes, for La County? No?
Speaker 1: What does it mean for us?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: What do you think? People need to be aware?
Speaker 4: What didn't mean? What it means is that the other one is more for the death penalty, putting people behind bars for years with no questions that when gast was releasing the loved ones, yees, he was doing a snatch and grab. Yes, that was wrong, I get that, But he believed in some of the people's cases that he digged up, you know, that was valid enough that he did really seek go back to their families.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 4: But like the menentus voice, but I don't even want to speak on that. That's just a story within itself that I don't know what to say.
Speaker 1: Okay, well all right, well, thank you so much. I appreciate as.
Speaker 4: Always, I don't mind getting on the radio and thank you for allowing me to have this moment to speak to everyone.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just so grateful that you constantly pull up and while we're at go ahead and give a shout out to your organization and what kind of services that you offer for people that are trying to get back on the right track or just can eat another hand.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, everyone of My name is miss Jackson. The name of my non profit outside of my LA County job is called Sunshine Community Resource Organization Center and we're based out of Long Beach, Bichtinos. But we will help anyone in La County, Orange County, San Berdino County. It's kind of like come one, come all. We never turn the one away. We provide services as domestic bonus, anger management, parenting, supervised visitation, monitoring, CPR, lifestand fingerprinting. Also our dain where you know, I'm learning now you guys how to marry people.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: I day Okay, so chemical dependent speech with traffic school.
Speaker 1: All right, well, definitely check them out. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you. I'm about to get back all the way yo life. I mean I'm about to go back online.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, sounds great, Okay, thank you. I think well there you got it. I mean, wow.
Speaker 2: You know, I know some of our family here have been incarcerated, uh and been in different programs to perform working for.
Speaker 1: Ways to get their their record expunged.
Speaker 2: So you know, with this new election and Gasconne being voted out, what does this mean for the family. Now, Dale Cornygay says, Dawn, you need to call Tim, one of the corner Gays. Tim has been a very activist in the community. So I'm gonna try to give him a call and see if I can.
Speaker 1: Dale, I hope you to a call. He probably like, what number is this? Who calling me?
Speaker 7: Mm hmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm uh.
Speaker 1: Telephone number three.
Speaker 2: Don't want to do that again, all right, So we tried to Tall, We tried to call Tim Cornegay.
Speaker 1: Dale, do you want to say? Do you want me to call you? Dale? What you got to say? Let me see if Dale is still here.
Speaker 6: M h.
Speaker 4: I'm not even gonna do it while I'm driving.
Speaker 1: Wait, can you talk? Are you safe to talk?
Speaker 6: Not right now? Nah? Not right now?
Speaker 8: I want this twelve five a bumper?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, don't talk, Okay, thank you for.
Speaker 6: Being Let me hear him up. He might be on a phone call, okay, but we did holler him.
Speaker 8: He got, I.
Speaker 1: Know, he got. I just called him. I was like, he probably didn't recognize the number.
Speaker 4: All right, yeah, all right, all right.
Speaker 2: So yes, we are helping up the conversation talking about how people are you mad, sad or glad that now Donald J. Trump has been elected the forty seventh president, and more importantly, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I understand that many people are looking at it as a negative way, But if we could just be real, we could just be honest everything Trump is talking about. Do you think it's all bad? Do you think some parts are good? Some parts are effective? And I'm just saying, because we're basically speaking, if everything was all bad how we feel that it is, would America be voting? Would you still see people that look like you, sound like you, walk like you, talk like you grew up in the same neighborhoods as you, and still say that they are voting for presidents Donald or Donald J.
Speaker 1: Trump. I don't know why. Why was that hesitant for me to say?
Speaker 2: I don't know why because he's not president right now, but I guess after your president, you're always referred to as the president. But nevertheless, that's the conversation that we are having, and I want to welcome you to call me in the studio right now eight one a four six one fifty four to thirty two eight one eight four six one fifty four thirty two. We are talking about our thoughts, our views, and sharing our opinions that has been post election. What does it mean? How do people feel? More importantly, how are you preparing yourself? There are some people saying, I'm getting out of Dodge Dawn. I want to move out of the country. Some people are concerned with the fact of, oh my gosh, are my rights being totally taken away now Natasha, she says, I have always heard.
Speaker 1: When you white, you're right, and when you're black you stand back, ooh, when you're right white, when you white, you're right.
Speaker 2: When you're black you stand back ooh. That resonated in a way. You know, it's just unfortunate. You know, different things that from my understanding. Again, I'm working as not a news expert, but a commentator. So this is an open dialogue for if anything is misconstrued, let's have a conversation about it.
Speaker 1: But what is the old idea?
Speaker 2: Well, a lot of our welfare programs being demolished. We're talking about EBT, We're talking about some healthcare. What does that mean for people? How do you feel about that? And these are the things that I'm talking about we need to talk about. Does it mean that everybody that is on the welfare system are they taking advantage of it? Is there any reason why today's age somebody must be on welfare. Does it mean that you're not working hard enough? Now, here's the thing. All of us stand on a different kind of life. And what I mean by that is that if you've had generations and generations that have helped up.
Speaker 1: Level your platform.
Speaker 2: Of course you can see over the fence, but what about somebody that had to dig themselves out, they had to dig a tunnel, Especially if you are a person of color, your platform isn't that high.
Speaker 1: So is it unfair what you say to be held to the same standard.
Speaker 2: Again, we're just having a conversation again, We're just trying to get to the heart of the matter again. If you have some thoughts that you want to share, this is your time right now. Please put us on some new ideas and ways of thinking how we should move or perhaps the different things that we should do.
Speaker 1: Now. I haven't heard anybody say how they're preparing for these next upcoming four years. What does it look like? Does anybody have any suggestions of the things that we need to put in place, things that we need to keep in mind, ways that we should guard our hearts in our minds. I want to hear from you. Call me right now.
Speaker 2: In the studio eight one eight four six one fifty four thirty two. That's eight one eight one fifty four thirty two. I want to hear from you. I want to know what this election was meaning to you. What does it mean for your family? Are there many What message would you say to the countless of people of color who you feel as though this election will negatively affect If you had something that you could say to them, if you had some words of wisdom you would share with them.
Speaker 1: What would you say?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: You can call me or you can put it in a chat. But either way I want to hear from you because if we don't get comfortable with having these conversations and I don't know what's gonna happen, we can't just keep sitting there on the sidelines waiting to see what everybody is talking about, because it very well could be your voice that can make a change. Now you heard it's scared of money, don't make money with scared of change. Don't make change. You're gonna have to be the change. And sometimes it just starts with a discussion. But don't sit here.
Speaker 2: On the sidelines murmuring under your breath, say oh, they should have did this, because now you the opportunity right now to talk about it, because you never know who knows who you don't know who this can reach, that can spark a different idea, that can get people march into a different tune, singing a different song. But if we're not talking about then what I'm just saying, I want to hear from you. I intentionally said let me make room. It is after the election. Folks are having misreviews. Some people said that the city in la was just quiet, it was just somber. But I'm like, it's interesting because if you look at the polls. Overall, this is what the country wanted. So when it's time to talk about something, and when it's time to stand up, I'm just trying to say, where you at. I can't see you because I can't hear you, and for many people, they can't be you. So what's up? How are we going to make the change? How do you suggest that we move forward? What does it look like? Please enlighten me. I'm coming in a space. Teach me something I did not know. Shed some light. Cause again, they can't all be bad.
Speaker 1: Some people say they want better food, better health coverage, they want to have higher wages. Why is it that folks feelings over with Trump? Those types of things will change.
Speaker 2: And how come Biden and Kamala Harris didn't make it happen. It's interesting a lot of people I shouldn't say a lot, but you know, common rhetoric that I would hear is like, you know, before, when we thought that a lot of black men weren't supporting Kamala Harris, it was like, well, she.
Speaker 1: Ain't spoke to us in the past four years.
Speaker 2: Why all of a sudden, you know, ninety days are having many days from the election, she got so much to say, Well, what did Trump ever say to you? You know, I'm just thinking back on the last rally that was up in New York. He had a whole comedian talking about was it the black neighbor? But something about carving up watermelon and putting it on their head? Talking about Puerto Rico is like an island floating with trash. So are we getting ahead of ourselves feeling though, as black descendants that we have been picked on? Because I mean, has he not been calling everybody out? Is that something we can appreciate now? Immediately I wanted to compare this to a comedy, he said, but there's nothing funny about this. But you know, just like a comedian, they sit there and poke fun at everybody, they calling everybody out. But the truth is unveiling, and so what does this truth say about you? What does this truth say to you? Again, I'm just trying to have a conversation again, I just feel like it's something as a people we need to talk more about. So I'm gonna go over here and try to get a couple more calls in. But I guess it's time to wrap it up because the purpose of this conversation today is to hear from you, to tell me what you think, to enlighten us with some vitamin D on how we need to move forward. Let me see if Miss Felicia is around, because I know she got something to say.
Speaker 7: Huh, looked like she might be busy.
Speaker 1: Your call has been forwarded to voicemail.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna try to call Miss Wanda. I know she has been extremely active when it comes down to us invited.
Speaker 1: Oh, here she go, Hi, sister girl, Hello, Hello, Hi Miss Felicia. Hey.
Speaker 2: I was calling because you know, I had put up a conversation. I said, the podcast will we gonna be talking about today? Is our people mad? Sad or glad.
Speaker 1: That Trump won? And I was just wondering, what are your thoughts? How do you feel?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: Numb? Numb for the most part. I'm I know we're on a roller coaster ride. Come January sixth. I don't want to really hear that man's voice. I don't turn my television off. I don't want to hear anything about his winnings. I know there's some scandal behind it somewhere in this country. I'm just tired and I'm just trying to relax by meditating and being creative in order to get my mind off this craziness. And let me ask you that, and what are just going to put my energy and trying to help Cornell West with that third party, with that third party going, because we need to change.
Speaker 1: We need to change so enlighten those who may not know what is Cornell doctor Cornell West talking about.
Speaker 6: Right now.
Speaker 5: He's talking about just moving forward, trying to get the Justice for All Party created so that they can be in the running or the party itself can be in the running and in their future. And you know, just getting involved, getting organized, to move.
Speaker 6: Forward and to be able to you know, just to.
Speaker 5: Be able to cope with whatever it is that we're going to be faced to deal with as in these next four years, whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Now that's gonna sound absolutely insane what I'm about to say, but make wrong, because it just came to me, what, in fact, if this election Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump happens to be the best thing for let's just talk about black people right now in general. And well let's think of it like this, because right now we are forced to have to rely on each other, right, We're gonna have to depend on each other. And you know, before desegregation, while we may have experienced a lot of backlash outside of our community, we were stronger than ever. We bought for ourselves, much stronger. So is this a situation where now we're forced to look at our sisters and brothers to are left in the right and see who got us in our front in our back?
Speaker 1: Because clearly, if this is the case, it's time for us to rely on one another. Right.
Speaker 5: I agree with you, and I don't think that sounds asinine whatsoever. I think this is a it's gonna be a wake up call for a lot of folks. And like I said last week, you know, our educational system has spelled a lot of people, and a lot of folks can't think their way out of the box. And I'm glad to see that the numbers of black voters was as high as it was for both men and women, and there was only about eighteen to twenty percent of men that did not vote for Kamala. The people that failed us was white folks and Latino men.
Speaker 6: Those were those were the.
Speaker 1: Three groups that voted for Trump.
Speaker 5: And we need to see these people for who.
Speaker 1: They are and stop all that Kumbai yah, Well what that mean? What does that mean?
Speaker 5: It means opening our arms and doors to everybody else, take care of ourselves, just like you said. You know, I think the one thing that messed us up as a people was probably desegregating. And we did better when we had our own stores in our own communities.
Speaker 1: And thriving makes.
Speaker 2: You think of how brilliant the psychological mind.
Speaker 1: F uck if I.
Speaker 2: Could say it, it is because for some reason, and I know I'm gonna be transparent, you know, I get older, I get wiser, But it has been sometimes we feel like if we go outside of us, or we reach somewhere else, that we got a better product, the better opportunity, a better situation.
Speaker 5: We have been psychologically damaged to believe that other people's I guess you know, other people's situation is better than what we have and.
Speaker 6: We just need to.
Speaker 5: Well it's a lot, well, it's a lot of damage, you know, that we have to deal with. And the question is are people willing to deal with that technological damage that has been plaguing us for in our DNA for years and years and generations?
Speaker 2: Hey, you know, and that just brings it back to Miss Latasha. She was saying, especially we were just talking about the prison systems and so forth, and.
Speaker 1: Even with proposition thirty six.
Speaker 2: About you know, upping the crime if you've been convicted more than once. And she's like, well, wait a minute, because now that Gascon's out and he had.
Speaker 1: Ideas and ways to actually help people and not just you know, keeping people incarcerated forever.
Speaker 2: It just makes you think about, like the fact of what is this going to mean for the people? I lost my thought because the phone rang. My apologies, but what does this mean when we talk about our people being locked up if we not get into the heart of the matter about what people are dealing with mentally.
Speaker 6: We got a lot of self reflection we got to do.
Speaker 5: But with people being so mentally out there on a negative kind of way, you know, they don't even know.
Speaker 6: They damn much.
Speaker 5: I guess we first gotta figure I know that you are damaged before you can do something about it. Then once you figure that out, you gotta want to do something about it.
Speaker 6: Do the people want to fix.
Speaker 5: Themselves and their issues and their problems?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's almost like I feel like with some people, Uh, it's like being in a room with the lights.
Speaker 1: Off and you don't even know that they loft.
Speaker 6: M.
Speaker 1: Miss Taja said, mental health is real. Okay, well, thank you, Miss Felicia.
Speaker 2: And we got on the seventeenth, we celebrating the birthday in the house.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, We're pulling up over some sound bath, some yoga. I'm gonna hit one of them days.
Speaker 2: It's a little crazy right now because I'm in class and I gotta pause.
Speaker 1: I was coming up.
Speaker 4: There by myself yesterday.
Speaker 2: I saw it last minute. I'm gonna look at the dates again. I'm gonna pull up on you. We're gonna celebrate and do some yoga, sound bath, all that stuff.
Speaker 5: And it was good seeing that to be her film festival is going on that week.
Speaker 6: Yeah too.
Speaker 10: Down there at LA Live November fifteen, sixteenth, and seventeen, So I'll be down there as well, looking at some short films and movies done by up and coming.
Speaker 5: Directors and producers of African American descent and.
Speaker 6: Of the diaspora.
Speaker 1: All right now, So.
Speaker 5: That's available to your listeners if they want to come out and check out some good movies.
Speaker 6: Go over there to LA.
Speaker 5: Live on November fifteenth, sixteenth, and seventeen, there's a black Them festival going on.
Speaker 6: Go to be her?
Speaker 5: Okay, well hl Shandra Manley Film Festival.
Speaker 1: B h e r okay, Well, thank you so much, Miss Felicia. I'll be talking to you soon. Sure. All right, bye bye bye bye.
Speaker 2: I love what she'd be like show now. Okay, Tim Cornergay call. So let's see what Tim talking about. You know we up leveling. Listen, make before the whole conversation was I was at home. I said, I got to get back in the studio. I was trying to rig it to where I can have y'all call in in the studio line. I was hoping for multiple lines. But listen, we make your room because you see it, you see it. Soon I'm gonna have a produce up in here, okay, And soon we'll be having multiple calls and lines. And soon I ain't gonna be out here having to call each and every one of ya because y're gonna be blowing me up. Okay, So let me call mister corner gaye, Tim Corner Gay. Let's see what he got to say.
Speaker 1: This is doing like the break of day. Hey, Dode, are you I'm doing good? I'm doing good. I got you live on the podcast. Yeah right now, that's why I said, let me tell you right.
Speaker 11: With Okay, Dell was telling me that I need to be war You've been warned, I've been warned.
Speaker 1: I wanted to hear your thoughts. Are you mad? Are you glad? Are you sad that Trump won? What does this mean? And what do we need to do as a people to engage and move forward?
Speaker 6: For one, I'm neither mad, glad, nor sad. I'm inspired to go to work that you know. I know anytime in elections situations.
Speaker 9: Like that, the election is over on Tuesday and it's time to go to work, are gonna.
Speaker 6: Win the Uh?
Speaker 9: The Trump situation just proves that in the country we live in, anything can happen at any time to anybody. And uh a culture of misbehavior, a culture of racism, a culture of disrespecting women. Uh no pun intended, but its trumps information in common sense. So it puts us in the position where we really have to understand that, you know, a lot hasn't changed in this country.
Speaker 1: M hmm.
Speaker 2: So why are we trying to act all surprise? What do you think that's about?
Speaker 9: Well, you know, some people want to believe a beautiful lie and the beautiful.
Speaker 6: Life, that race doesn't exist in this country at the highest level, that is being.
Speaker 9: Minimized by the opportunities that's been given to some, and that.
Speaker 6: If you work hard enough, you study hard enough, you.
Speaker 9: May be able to access what they call the American dream, when the truth of the matter is the struggle is real for most And if Tuesday didn't prove that white privileged reign supreme, then we in trouble.
Speaker 6: So now, so you know, for me, local.
Speaker 9: Has to take care of itself. Can't spend too much time worrying about what's what's taking place nationally and not focused the intention on what's going on locally.
Speaker 6: Because while.
Speaker 9: The country was electing a president with thirty four felony conventions, in the state of California was.
Speaker 6: Our communities were busy.
Speaker 9: Not passing Proposition six and eliminating force servitude in the California apartment all corrections and not necessarily rehabilitation. We didn't overturn cost the Hawkins to deliver a degree of rent control to folks who might needed, nor did we pass a mandatory minimum wage, which that part right there might be unbelievable, especially considering how much it costs lived in most parts of California. But last, and certainly not least and maybe the most wicked is voters passed Prop thirty six.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about it, because here's the thing. I would think that if you okay, y'all, this is what I was talking about with Miss Tatasha, and I was talking about how essentially like if you're committed a crime, and if you commit a crime repeatedly, the punishment gets more severe.
Speaker 1: Is that correct him? Or can you share with me?
Speaker 9: You don't need newer You don't need newer laws to address the issues.
Speaker 6: That you know, they have been highlighting. And for one, in terms of.
Speaker 9: Smashing grab, smashing grab is not is not legally considered to be paid to them, because anytime you enter a business and deliver what legally they turn as threat of forcing violent then your crime automatically become serious and a felony. So so to say that they needed new legislation to impact you know, the smashing graunds that have been taking place across California is just you know, pure narrative manipulation, because there's already laws on the books to address that and to recriminalize drug uses in drug possession to mandate force rehab or prison for individuals that you know they know need help.
Speaker 6: That that doesn't make sense at all. It doesn't make physical sense.
Speaker 9: But it doesn't make make physical sense either, because it's going to cost the state hundreds of millions of dollars to actually implement the things.
Speaker 12: That are going to be needed as result the Prop thirty six.
Speaker 2: So you're saying, because I'm just trying to think of some of the things that I saw when I was reading on voting for it. So you're saying that if an individual is caught with a hard drugs such as fentanyl.
Speaker 6: And they are mandatory present, you.
Speaker 1: Don't think that that should be the case.
Speaker 6: But here's the thing. If an individual is inadvertently.
Speaker 9: In possession of fentanyl, the law is still applicable.
Speaker 2: When you say inadvertently, what do you mean by that?
Speaker 9: That that means a lot of these drugs that are being passed around nowadays or cut with fentanyl and.
Speaker 6: The people who are in possession of it don't know it. But you should you even.
Speaker 1: Be doing the drug in the first place?
Speaker 6: Should people?
Speaker 9: Well, you know, I think drug gives us a personal decision that if you want to infuse your body with some kind of toxic substance. That's a personal decision. You need help, you don't need handcuffs.
Speaker 1: Hmm hmm.
Speaker 2: You know, I feel like and maybe because I'm not as well versed, because I mean, I'm trying to I hear what you're saying, but it's like, we can't make it okay. I don't think necessarily we should put people as an example, but I don't think it should be overlooked to the fact that you should not be in possession of fence and all. I don't know because I think I think I did vote yes on this because I'm thinking to myself, well, how do we stop it?
Speaker 1: I was looking at a post, a social media post.
Speaker 2: This girl was in Japan or something like that, and she said she couldn't find no marijuana at all. She was like, people have CBD, but it's an absolute hard no. And how do we get to the heart of the matter to stop because if we get enough people hypothetically, if they're incarcerated, are people scared enough? Isn't this gonna essentially save our community?
Speaker 9: But the I mean, you know, the increase of penalties has never been determined to actual commission of crime, and that's that's that's one thing. But how about investing in the root cause of why things are the way they are?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 6: Locking up?
Speaker 9: Locking folks up to address a problem doesn't cure the problem.
Speaker 6: It just prolongs the problem.
Speaker 2: Oh, so what's the cure if you got some people that don't even want to get help what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 9: When you have folks who don't want who don't want to be help, then there may be some kind of mental deficiency or some kind of mental challenges that they're suffering from.
Speaker 1: And so why we aren't and why aren't we investing in that?
Speaker 6: Huh exactly?
Speaker 2: It's almost like you know and partnering how this may come off. But it's like, well, is this a situation where we're trying to fix broken people?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And is it a way that there comes to a point there's nothing you can do, Like, if somebody is out of their mind, how are you able to talk sentence in them?
Speaker 1: How can real change take place because you can't even hear me?
Speaker 6: Or is that I'm the same token.
Speaker 9: If somebody's out of their mind, how does locking them up address it?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 13: So, so where where where is the middle road, where's the opportunity to develop an understanding the model on how to deal with this as opposed to just throwing your hands up and saying that I just want to spend a bunch of taxpayers' money to hide you from a society, to make it look like we're dealing with the problem, which is all that's being done, and just putting individuals in stations where society doesn't have to see it, but the problem still exists.
Speaker 1: Natasha Missatasha said, it's called a broken mirror.
Speaker 6: So then I would not disagree.
Speaker 1: What did you say we need to do and what do we do?
Speaker 6: Then it's going to generate a long conversation. But we need to invest in humanity.
Speaker 9: We need to invest in healing. We need to invest in trauma and form care. We need to invest in the researching in thatalysis that it takes to get to the root.
Speaker 6: Cause of why all of a sudden, there are.
Speaker 13: So many people who choose homelessness as a way a lot.
Speaker 12: There are so many people that want to escape from the harsh reality that their life presenting with to a such a drug.
Speaker 1: Hm hmm, I'm here for.
Speaker 12: It that that you know, that would be my take on it.
Speaker 1: Amor well, thank you so much. Is there any last things you want to say to the people.
Speaker 2: About how to encourage people to forward or things we should focus on, anything at all?
Speaker 9: Lastly, I would say, folks, if you know it's to take care of yourself, think in terms of you know, being healthy as you possibly can, and learn how to love yourself, because when you love yourself, it's easier to love someone else.
Speaker 12: Come on, that's that would be my closing statement.
Speaker 1: All right, mister corner gay, thank you so much for pulling up on me.
Speaker 6: Oh you are so welcome, and thank you for calling. Appreciate the opportunity. Stay blessed you too.
Speaker 2: All right, peace, I ain't gonna hold you. I agree when do we get to the healing? But the healing is gonna require some feeling. It's gonna call, it's gonna require conversation, and it's gonna be something we gotta work through. We're gonna have to massage this. This is not a hitting and credit. We gotta figure out what the pressure points are with anger and also how much pressure to apply, because you're right, essentially it is putting the band aid over or hiding and you know, vitamin Dick is all about shutting the light on the good and the bad. Because what do I say, if you want to be better and you want to do better, well, you're going to have to be able to see better. And just having you out of sight meaning having you incarcon rated putting you in it does not mean that we're getting to the heart of the matter. And just like Mistatasha was saying, right, a lot of people have been traumatized victimized in so many ways that they forgot or we as society are not even treating them as humanized individual I.
Speaker 1: Was riding on the rhyme there in case you didn't catch it, but no, essentially, yeah, how do we invest in humanity?
Speaker 2: And it just makes me think of brother Poverb, one of the first individuals we had on the line that calls in and basically stated, you know, Dawn.
Speaker 1: This is the change that we need to see. Dawn.
Speaker 2: How are we gonna get together to be that change? At what point do we decide to be the change? I'm just saying, we having a conversation, MISTERA. Tasha says it's gonna take blood, sweat and tears. Hollright, I want to walcome into one else. I wants to call in with some thoughts, some views and opinions. Eight one, eight four six one fifty four thirty two. That's eight one, eight four six, one fifty four to thirty two. We are having a conversation about what it means the selection. What is it going to mean for us as a society, as a community, and most importantly as a people. Now I had introduced the notion to Miss Felicia, I said, well, what if this is the best thing that could ever happen to us, because for some reason, maybe we had our sunglasses too and too long. Maybe we've been hiding under the rock, behind a bush, behind the building, somewhere in the shadows, that we forgot to see America for what it is.
Speaker 1: They say, you do not fear what you can see, it is what you do not see. So now that in case we had our shades on too long, in case our vision was blurred, it's crystal clear now. So beyond the time before when we had to before desegregation, we had to rely on ourselves, we are in a situation we are going to have to require for us to look to our left and our right have somebody's front and have somebody's back. This is a three sixty ordeal that we're going to have to address. And like brother Prover was saying, I had lost it, I got it back. Now? Is that what happened when you get older? Hush your mouth? Uh, just like how he was saying, even with the jobs before, he's you know, working for Metro. Now he may be sitting there watching a robot operate the Metro. When do we get back to investing in ourselves and when do we draw the line when it comes down to some of these technology and advances that we are now cutting our own self off the pie. And I'll be damn because everybody's trying to get a slice of postle. How is it working to our advantage to cut ourselves off? So again, to bring it right back? Maybe this could be the best thing to happen for us, not to us, I said for us, because now we got to rely on each other. Now we need to uplovel the conversation. Now, if we see somebody doing something they ain't got no business doing, we pull them to the side, we offer those resources, we start these organizations, we start back to talking to one another. WACA everybody. No, I'm more sleeping in Ben.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, we having a real conversation with puerile people right now, Vitamin D. And I'm so glad that you can join me. Now we are closing it up. I want to welcome once again if you want to call in. It's not too late to share some thoughts, some views and opinions. We have said a lot today. You know, I just got a different understanding what's happening on with proposition thirty six? Is anybody going to be impacted by what's happening with the rent control? I mean, at what point do we have to realize not make room for what I'm about to say? Is there a point well we need to take in consideration that maybe we do not need to rely on welfare as much.
Speaker 1: Is that a thing? Is that such a thing?
Speaker 2: Now, Bearra says, I'm tired of hearing our skin colored folks talking about Yeah, now I can get to another stimulus check. I look at them with disgust, and they have the nerves to be so happy about it. All I can think of is you want of them? And have to distance myself from you. Not in those exact words, but hey, people that are leaning for a handout, is that what you're saying? These are conversations. I understand what you're saying, not even myself. Here's the thing too, And I don't agree with people that will rely on it, but I do think that when we've all worked a job and we've all had to rely on it, it should be the and we should use it. I don't think it makes you less than I think it should be what it's used for. But now we're going to strip away from people have an opportunity. But then your white beer. How do we draw the line of people that's just getting the free money?
Speaker 1: Again?
Speaker 2: A lot of people are experience and trauma. Again, some people just don't have that common sense, like miss Latasha was saying. So that's what we're talking about, all right, y'all? Will I guess it's about that time. I don't have anybody else on the line that's calling through. I don't have anybody else that I'm about to call to speak to. So I want to thank you so much for pulling up on me. Thank you so much for this conversation. I appreciate each and every one of you pulling up to show your thoughts, your views and opinions about what this means for us. I hope it's highlighted that we need to make sure we stand on the local stands and get to know one another, to help one another, because all we got is one another and what's happening around us. Yes, I understand that we ought to be concerned about what's happening on the national level. But what's happening in your neighborhood, what's happening right down the block? Heck, what's happening right next door where you can reach out to.
Speaker 1: So I'm off of my solf bucks.
Speaker 2: Yes, Misstatasha, you will see me in December for the toy drive. We are gonna have ourselves a good time. Yes, Sunshine Resource Center out there in Long Beach. I want to thank all of you once again for pulling up. I am going to keep you.
Speaker 1: Guys posted on Facebook about next week.
Speaker 2: Bear says, I love it here. Keep doing your things, says love It. You are truly needed for us. Oh, thank you. You're gonna make me get a emotion now, y'all. You can't fail if you don't quit. Okay, keep pushing, keep pressing. I press myself back in the studio.
Speaker 1: Do you all remember when I was talking about this? Oh God, and I just thank you all for for sticking by me. I start to get in more when people say.
Speaker 2: You gotta be out of your mind for your dreams because it is not gonna make sense every logical reason.
Speaker 1: You're like, what, But you gotta have heart and you gotta stay in ten toes now.
Speaker 2: So it's maybe steps, but we've progressing because you see it, you see it. It's Latasha, miss Mayan is asking what's the address for the toy drive? Can you comment and put the information? So as always about to say, excuse me, give myself together. I have a huge show coming up. It's one of my dreams too. I got a show on Monday, November eighteenth, and I'm gonna have multiple scripts to memorize to get ready for this performance.
Speaker 1: And yes, I love this here. I love what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna try to figure out I can balance the time with next week being the right preparation for the show if I'm gonna be a live So there is a possibility that vitamin D will be off next week, just because I want to make sure I'm able to focus and hone in for my performance, but I'm gonna be back after that, cousin, Yes you do. I'm Brenda Kane last year and now I'm on the next level. So I got a performance on Monday the eighteenth and November, and then I have one in January, so maybe you can come into January if November eighteenth is too soon. But AnyWho, I want to thank all of you. Thank you for pulling up on me. Thankful for standing by me. Be sure to check out misstatashash comment and the comments about how to reach out to it for the toy job that I will be at on December twentieth to pass out the kids, and we're gonna really do the promotion going and we're gonna have you on a couple times to really promote the great work you are doing. So thank you, thank you, and thank you. Okay, all right, y'all, I love you and I appreciate you, and I see you and make sure you see yourself.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: If you love this podcast, make sure you share it and tell somebody to tell somebody else that that damn Dawn Day got a podcast and it's called Vitamin D all right. Also, you know I take advice letters, or if you would like to recommend somebody to be a guest, send me an email. Vitamin D at Dawn Dai speaks dot com. That's Vitamin D at dawn Dai speaks dot com. Also, I'm getting back up reving into it, but follow us on all social media for the podcast.
Speaker 1: Vitamin D Dawn d Ai. And then, of.
Speaker 2: Course, as always, if you want your own personal Vitamin D, that.
Speaker 1: Be me, baby, I love doing that. Follow me on all social.
Speaker 2: Media at dawn Dai speaks dot com. You know, I always say I'm in the business of making dreams come true and I damn sure ain't gonna forget about mind. So until next time, family, always remember you are your great assassin.
Speaker 3: Get your item Indy right here with me, and get excited about your