Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first. Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply. All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 3: Welcome in episode one, What's Right with Nick Wright on just a glorious Tuesday morning, as we are entering Week four of the NBA Playoffs, the Lakers still undefeated at home, and the Los Angeles Lakers that I on this very show six weeks ago, just six short weeks ago, gave you all to win the title at fifty to one, are now the favorites in the Western Conference.
Speaker 4: And down to four to one to win the title.
Speaker 3: If you're the type of person that sells bets on prop swap or hedges, that would get you a twelve x return.
Speaker 4: On the fifty to one bet.
Speaker 3: But you know on this show, we are team no hedge. Twelve extra turn sounds great, a fifty extra turn sounds even better. And they are now just nine wins away. As the Warriors dynastic run is on the brink. We will get to all of that shortly. Diora is here. She is doing a tremendous job. She also gave out her Instagram at the end of yesterday's show. And many of you are very bad people. That's just a fact. You can deal with that however you want. That's between your priest, or your God or whomever you can ask us questions. We will do that in the C block. Also, we are doing Nick right public defender today. When we did that with Demanse, he had to wear a powder wig and had a gavel. Demonse called me yesterday saying, you need to bring the wig and gavel to the show. And I didn't tell him this, but I will be.
Speaker 4: Telling him this now. I'm not gonna make my daughter do that.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna make diora ware the powder wig and do the gavel and all that foolishness. Demon's that was something I felt good about making him do, making him look ridiculous. I'm not gonna do that to you. We will still play public defender. Here is what is not on today's show, and then we will officially welcome door in. The NBA's all Rookie team has been announced. Not on the show.
Speaker 4: Isaiah Pacheco has two offseason surgeries.
Speaker 3: The guy who's running all year, running through defenses for the Super Bowl champion Chiefs with a torn lab room and other stuff, no problem. And Cal McNair says he didn't force the CJ Stroud pick. All right, Diorra, welcome in. You're doing a wonderful job, big show today. Well, that's one of your best shows already. You know how, Some days I say, you know how? You know how? Some days I say I'm gonna stay true to the clock. I'm not gonna go over. I'm going the opposite today.
Speaker 5: Maybe that will mean that you stay under this time.
Speaker 3: Maybe probably not though, because I think we're doing twenty minutes on the Laker game. But we'll see. I know you have places to be. Dooro needed today to be a short show.
Speaker 4: Not gonna happen. What are we starting with?
Speaker 5: So the most clutch player of all time had a huge fourth quarter for the Lakers. I'm referring, of course, to Lonnie Walker.
Speaker 3: Shout out Lonnie.
Speaker 5: Now it's three to one and the Warriors could never come back from three to one.
Speaker 3: Okay, stop god, Kevin Duranslaw walking through that door. By that, I mean going up against him, but go ahead, Okay.
Speaker 5: Are you at all worried that this is part of the Warriors plan to get back at Lebron for twenty sixteen?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not at all worried about that. The Warriors are cooked. They're done, they're finished. You guys were all so giddy. Oh, Nick's gonna have to eat crow on the Warriors again. Oh they beat his Kings. And while I'm sad, they beat my Kings and it did cost me some money. It is more fitting that the Golden State Warriors, who have never lost a playoff series under Steve Kerr in the Western Conference playoffs, finally for the first time ever, lose a series under Kerr on the Western Conference side of the bracket because Lebron James walks through that door to that conference and beats them. But the story, you are correct, was not Lebron last night. While he was good, once again, he can't hit threes, very frustrating. The story, of course, for the Lakers was Lonnie Walker. Lonnie Walker had fifteen fourth quarter points, the majority of which over steph Curry, and it helped the Lakers come back from a double digit second half deficit to put the Warriors on the brink. And Anthony Davis was brilliant early and then very good late Defensively, Lonnie Walker, who was a starter for some of this year, was heavily in the rotation and then relegated to the bench. DNP coaches decisions. He's stayed ready and he came through he's only twenty four years old and now for the Lakers.
Speaker 4: But the Lakers are not the.
Speaker 3: Most interesting side of this. The Warriors are. We'll get to them in a second. That door is mocking my hand movements. That's fine.
Speaker 4: The Lakers.
Speaker 3: Now you have your starting five that you trust, Lebron.
Speaker 5: Ad Lebron and Lebron.
Speaker 3: Lebron, ad van Do for defense, Reeves for a little bit of everything, and d Low. Now you don't know what you're gonna get from all of those guys every night, and Vando yesterday didn't play much. But that's your five. Then off the bench, you have Shrewder who can get hot and is a smart player, even if sometimes he's a very inefficient player. You have Rui who has been excellent all postseason. And now all of a sudden, you have a Lonnie Walker that gets you to eight before you have to go to your backup center Wining Gabriel, and then your backup shooters Troy Brown and Malik Beasley if you ever see him again. That is a deep, dangerous team.
Speaker 5: But the other deep and dangerous if they didn't have Lebron and had all those other players.
Speaker 4: Well, well, listen, Lebron has not been the best player in the Lakers this posting. It's been Anthony Davis. But I'm glad you brought up Lebron.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: And pull your microphone up a little closer to you if you could.
Speaker 3: You'll have time here because I'm probably gonna talk for about fourteen minutes here. Ah. It's very interesting what we saw from Lebron yesterday. All postseason, he has not been running the point. He has been playing more of a traditional forward role. Fourth quarter, down seven yesterday, gotta have it gain, I know what have just been to to. The Lakers have to win their home games to win the title. They had to win last night to win this series. Lebron says, all right, I'll put my hand on the joystick. I'm going to control everything now. Again, he didn't even play great in the fourth quarter, but it was just so crystal clear that he was waiting to see when he had to activate point. Lebron, he has not done it yet this postseason. For the vast majority of his career, it was the only way he played, and now he has been playing a different role, and all of a sudden, who was twenty sixteen all over again.
Speaker 4: Where's Steph Curry hunt?
Speaker 3: Steph Curry gets step in a pick and roll LEBRONI their backs him down or Lonnie Walker takes him off the dribble, and Steph, who had on the offensive side been brilliant much of the night, of course, had no answer. We also got a little twenty sixteen throwback Lebron Steph Curry chase down block with a little with a bit of a mean mugging as well. So that's how the Lakers got up three to one. Now to the Warriors side of things, so forget, we'll go little picture to big picture.
Speaker 4: Kurk does not know.
Speaker 3: Who he can play set on TV yesterday and I was of course proven correct. And by the way, that is now ten Laker games these playoffs, ten times on television, we've picked a winner of the day of the game, and I am ten and up. I have correctly picked the Lakers winner in each and every game. Before the Grizzly series, I said Lakers win one, three, four and six. And before the Warriors series, I said the Lakers win same as the Grizzly series one, three, four and six. We're ten for ten. The other thing I said on TV yesterday was Kurrz got five guys he trusts, but you can't play all five at the same time against this team. Those five are Steph Clay, Draymond, Wiggins, Looney, but they don't want to play Draymond and Looney at the same time against this team. So who's going to be that fifth guy? They started Jamichael Green, They tried that. He played two minutes yesterday. Yesterday they've started Jordan Pool these playoffs. Pool played ten minutes, had was over four, had two of the most hilarious turnovers you'll ever see, and then was relegated to the bench. More on him in a moment. So yesterday start Gary Payton. Gary Payton played as well as he can play. Still not a guy you want out there and playoff crunch time. So they went to Moses Moody, who of their young guys once upon a time kaminga Wiseman Pool Moody, he was the one they trusted the well, Wiseman's one they trusted the least, but he was then or two pick. Moody was the one they trusted the secondly, uh least, and now he can't Now they're playing him in crunch time.
Speaker 4: Of playoff games, they don't have enough.
Speaker 3: They got seven of nine from the field and three of five from three.
Speaker 4: In fact, you know what, they got fourteen.
Speaker 3: Of eighteen from the field and four of seven from three and thirty two points from Peyton Devenceinzo Moody.
Speaker 4: That's as good as you can possibly hope for.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't enough. Why well, their big three core all had massive gaffs in the final few minutes. Let's start with Steph. Step was brilliant as a distributor. The two highest assist games he's had in the last decade in the playoffs have been in the last week, Game two and Game four of this series. Last night he had thirty one, ten and fourteen, but he did not have his shot. He was three of fourteen from three. Despite that, late in the game, Steph goes a little hero ball down one less than a minute left, Steph takes a pull up twenty footer over Anthony Davis miss Draymond gets the rebound. More on that in a moment kicks it out to Steph. Steph does it was a carbon copy of the Kevin Love play from Game seven to twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: Dribbled dribble, dribbled, crossover, crossover, try to shake.
Speaker 5: Any We're trying to get back at Lebron.
Speaker 3: What well, I think they're trying to win the game. I think they're trying to win the game. And I think Steph thought this was their best chance. But he couldn't get around Anthony Davis and he heaves a bad three, a bad three miss. Then they get the jump ball with five seconds left, they have a time out. Steph is on the ground, could call time out, have two and a half three seconds left, down three, Steph just has a mental lapse, throws the ball blindly over the back of.
Speaker 4: His head out of bounds.
Speaker 3: Game over, you lose.
Speaker 5: It was pretty close.
Speaker 3: It was very close. I understand that, and I appreciate you trying to be nice to the Warriors. But Steph was too good offensively for forty seven minutes to have that be the end. But it was. And this is where we have the uncomfortable facts conversation last twenty five years, to tie or take the lead in the final minute of playoff games. Steph Curry is now six for twenty five. That is the second worst in the league, ahead of only Russell Westbrook. He's shooting twenty four percent playoff games tire or take the lead minute left or less. He was zero for two yesterday. Six for twenty five now Lebron, of course, is the second best in that stretch, behind only Ray Helm on threes. By the way, in that situation, Steph is three for fourteen twenty one percent.
Speaker 4: That is better than only Kevin Durant.
Speaker 3: Hadu Turklou, Kobe Bryant who's three for seven, and Russ who is an impossible one for fourteen. Lebron again, if you care, in those situations, three pointers to tire or take the lead in the final middle playoff games is the fourth best.
Speaker 5: It's about talking about this for thirteen minutes.
Speaker 3: No twenty minutes probably, uh, Reggie Dame and Ray Allen round ten for sixteen on those just bananas. So for Steph, brilliant offens. Lonnie Walker has not taken enough of those shots to qualify. In fact, he's taken none to qualify. But I've still got nothing but love. He just hasn't.
Speaker 4: He's never taken it. It is his first real playoff action.
Speaker 3: Uh So that's Steph offensively great for forty seven minutes. Bad for the last minute. Defensively, Lonnie Walker kept dotting his eye and Lebron got isoed with him a few times, and he kept foiling and Lebron, Lebron, who famously is afraid of free throws, runs from the foul line, even though and people say that, despite the fact that even the most ardent Lebron James hater can't point to a single playoff game in his twenty year career that oh, yeah, his team lost because he missed a late free throw. Lebron, of course, goes four for four from the line the final three minutes. So there's the staff part.
Speaker 4: Now the Clay part, steph part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're not moving on yet. I told you this was gonna be a while. The Clay part. Clay did not have it last night. Now, he hit a corner three of a great pass I think for Moses Moody to go up ninety nine to ninety six. At that moment, he was three for seven from three. He was three for nine for the game, and at least he made that big shot. Clay then takes an impart possibly bad pull up thirty footer from the right wing, and then an almost equally bad pull up twenty four footer from the left wing that almost made Kerr pass out. You can see him in one of the shots. You see Clay take the shot, and you see Kerr have a little mini conniption.
Speaker 4: And then they move on.
Speaker 5: I swear you're making these.
Speaker 3: Look it up.
Speaker 4: So Clay.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, man, everybody loves Clay. Clay's one of the greatest players ever. We all know that. Man oh man.
Speaker 4: When he's great, he gets all the love.
Speaker 3: And when he's bad, we just move on other guys that are second best guys on a team. When they're bad, people come for him. Clay was really bad last night. Took two really bad shots, and it's just got to be acknowledged. And then there's Draymond. Draymond off the first Steph miss with forty seconds left, thirty seconds left, whatever it was. Draymond gets the offensive rebound, has shrewder on him. They're down one. He's three feet from the basket, could just go up with it, doesn't even look at the basket and instead throws it thirty five feet away from the basket to Steph. Go up, Draymond, trust yourself, offensive rebound, lay up your ahead by one.
Speaker 5: He didn't want it to be his fault if.
Speaker 3: Well, unfortunately for him, it ended up being his fault because after all that, they run a play with fifteen seconds left, after a trying to think what happened here? Did make two free throws? I think whatever it was, or maybe Lonnie Walker made a jump shot. I gotta the I'm not sure exactly. I'm gonna check real quick, but the to give you the exact circumstances that led to the turnover. But uh, yeah, Lonnie Walker made two free throws. That's right, because they fouled him and the Warriors run hammer. Lebron calls it out. Every is pointing to everyone where to go. Draymond throws a perfect pass to Anthony Davis. Problem, of course, there is Anthony Davis place for the Lakers. Now, I'm yet, let me check and see Draymond, you know who's been potting quite regularly. Uh, let me see if we have an updated Draymond Green show after yesterday's game. Waiting, waiting. Uh, that's a shame. We don't if this was the last high leverage moment for that Warrior's Big three altogether, because Draymond is not guaranteed to be back It's a rough final three minutes for each of them. Steph had some bad moments, Clay had some brutal the two brutal shots, and Draymond had the killer turnover, just killer for all of them. And then last point on this as bad as being down three to one and as dire as it looks, the worst thing for the Warriors right now might be that Jordan Poole, who curse seems to be giving up on, has four years and one hundred and twenty eight million dollars on an extension that does not even start until next season. They paid Jordan Poole early, Draymond slugged him, his season has been bad, his playoffs have been worse, and all of a sudden, I think that might be the worst contract in the league. So dire straits for the defending champion Golden State Warriors, DIORA moving on.
Speaker 4: We can now move on what's next.
Speaker 5: The Heat are a game away from making the conference finals, but they only have to beat the banged up Bucks and the Knicks to get there. Yep, it's hard to say that the team, if the team that could actually beat the Hawks, is actually legit. At eighteen to one to win the title. Is it worth the shot?
Speaker 3: So absolutely? The Heat. How the Heat are still underrated and undervalued is beyond me. I understand they don't have a roster full of great players. I get that, and this piece of hair is just going to drive me crazy. I'm trying to fix it the whole I'm looking at myself and the camera screen. It's just killing me. I understand that what they do have is the best coach in the NBA and Jimmy Butler, who's been as good as just about anyone in this postseason. And now they're up three to one on the Knicks, and the Bucks were the one.
Speaker 4: Seed and they beat them.
Speaker 3: I know Yannis was missed Game two and three and large part of game one, Game four and five, though he was back and game five, Yannis seemed to be pretty damn healthy. And in both of those games, the Heat had double digit deficits that they overcame in the fourth quarter. And in this game, game four, they just out hustled and out fought the Knicks. And can the Heat beat Boston? Of course they can. They took them to seven last year came down to a Jimmy Butler three. Can the Heat with Jimmy and Spoe beat Philly. Of course they could.
Speaker 5: You're very passionate today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm fired up? Is a so I the Heat it Listen.
Speaker 3: I don't think the Heat are gonna win the title, but I think right now, let me see what their odds are to win the conference. He definitely knows the I No, I don't know what their odds are to win the conference. The let me, I'm just gonna look real quick, the to win the Eastern Conference. They're play Yeah, four to one, that's not what they should be. It is crazy to me that Boston is minus one seventy five. And it's not because Boston would be the favorite over Miami. I know they would be in Vegas, but Boston might not get there, and the Heat are definitely getting there. The Heat are. They were bad in the play in, they were bad in the regular season. Jimmy Butler is a sixteen game player. Spolstra is a great coach.
Speaker 4: They have enough.
Speaker 3: What's the follow up here?
Speaker 5: What do you think about Julius Randall saying that the Heat won it more.
Speaker 3: The Knicks effort, particularly on the defensive glass yesterday, was pathetic. And listen, the Knicks fans were all mad at me, and I understand I underrated them slightly, but I mostly I underrated them against the Cavs. But otherwise I had it right. This team was not a real threat. And Julius Randalls anyone box score wise had a good game yesterday, ie test wise, he didn't, and Randal now has to reconcile these things. In twenty twenty one, he was twenty four and ten on forty five percent shooting in the regular season, and then in the playoffs he was eighteen and eleven. Give him credit for that on twenty nine percent shooting in the postseason. This year he's gonna make an All NBA team. He was twenty five and ten on forty six percent in the regular season, and in the playoffs he's been sixteen and eight on thirty seven percent. The Knicks actually have some nice pieces. Jalen Brunson can be the number two on a really good team.
Speaker 4: RJ.
Speaker 3: Barrett has shown enough in this postseason that I think one day he could be the number three on a really good team. I like your compliment pieces, you gotta resign heart. I like grimes obviously, I like topping. I like quickly that's for rotational guys. You have your second, number two and number three question is can you get a real one? Can you get someone to bite on Randall? Because that's another bad contract now not a playoff player. Sorry, he's like the bizarro Jimmy Butler. Awesome in the regular season and then just becomes borderline liability in the playoffs. And if the Knicks acknowledge that, admit that, and try to move on, they could be dangerous at some point. If not, they're gonna have a very clear ceiling in the postseason next.
Speaker 5: Statistically, Devin Booker is having is having the hottest start to a playoffs ever. He clearly won the Luca Booker debate.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know. I don't know, so that he clearly.
Speaker 5: Won, Okay, speaking of Luca, he went off last postseason, then open the year as MVP favorite. Josh Allen did the same after losing a shootout with Mahomes. Playoff success definitely impacts early season expectations. So do you think, like, is Booker's lights out shooting setting him up to be the favorite going into next year too?
Speaker 3: Well, that's really interesting question that I hadn't really considered that. How will this postseason affect Devin Booker when it comes to MVP odds, Yeah, I mean I think he probably will be one of the favorites. It is interesting that how I mean, nobody has ever done what he's doing from a field goal percentage and volume scoring perspective. I mean, the guy's shooting seventy one percent true shooting percentage on a super high volume. We've never seen it done. The only even nine game stretches, these nine games across all of playoffs for guys to shoot in the mid sixties true shooting on thirty five points per game is Kareem in seventy seven, Jordan in eighty nine, Lebron in twenty eighteen and two thousand and nine.
Speaker 4: That's the list.
Speaker 3: So you have Jordan, Kareem, and Lebron the three greatest players ever. Lebron did it twice, Kareem wants, Jordan wants, and Devin Booker is doing it at a higher rate than any of them. We have coming out tomorrow on the TV show Club Superstar, and he is a spoiler alert. He's going to be in there, and he's been remarkable now on that series. The story really of the Sun's winning Games three and four. Is not that Booker and KD were unbelievable. It's that they finally in Games three and four, got some thing off their bench, so it didn't squander how great Booker and Katie were. I steal think Denver's heavy heavy favorite in that series. But Booker has taken his game to a level I did not think he had in him, and he now is in the discussion as a top eight, six, five guy in the league. That's what the playoffs can do, and he is having a playoff run unlike almost anyone we've ever seen. All Right, last one for the segment and.
Speaker 5: So well, only your show would put this in the A block. Okay, I feel like this should be what didn't make the cut. But Bronni is staying in Southern California with his dad at USC. Does this mean for both him, his dad and the future? What does this mean for him, his dad and the future of the NBA.
Speaker 3: Well, it means Lebron's definitely gonna be on the Lakers next year, but that was kind of validated just by this playoff run already. It Here's what I'll say that is interesting about the USC.
Speaker 5: So you thought Lebron might retire this year.
Speaker 3: No, I thought he might try to leave the Lakers. I thought he might try to go somewhere else. But with Bronnie at USC and the Lakers playing well, there's no chance. I'm not saying Bronni's gonna be one and done, but if you were to be one and done, his best case scenario is probably yeah, straight to the MBA after a year of college. His best case scenario would probably be to be a late first round pick. It is nowhere, and Lebron after next year is a free agent. Lebron has said he wants to play with Bronni now. He did come out and say that that just because that's my goal doesn't mean that's his goal, and he's got to, you know, do what's best for him and live his life. Also, Lebron said, and I thought it was a pretty touching moment. I had never thought of it, that Bronni's the first person in his whole family he'd ever go to college, and how really yeah, and how happy that makes him and how excited it makes him. I've never thought of that. But like obviously, Lebron, I didn't go to college and went straight high school to the pros and he's saying no one in his family's ever gone to college until the Sun. I thought it was pretty nice.
Speaker 5: I do think though, when he's like Bronnie can go on his own path, I don't know about that one.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: I feel like it's kind of like if you don't like, you'll be shunned, but like, you know, do whatever.
Speaker 3: This is what I think, and I've said this before. I think Lebron initially said publicly, I'm I want to play with Bronni at a time when it looked like Bronni might not be good enough to be an NBA player, to try to incentivize a team to draft him, to give him a chance to be an NBA player because they know if they draft and they'll get Lebron as well, like as a way to get his foot in the door. And by the way, people criticize that, that's kind of what happened with Steph Curry's brother. Steph's brother was Baby Curry. Yeah, you call him Baby Curry and you see him on the nets. He's good now, but it was he was cut repeatedly. He was a guy who was not gonna be an NBA guy. He kept getting chances because teams wanted in case, the Warriors gave him chances, other teams in case Steph ever wanted to go play with him. Jannis has two brothers who have played in the NBA, neither of whom are good because they are getting chances either by Giannis's teams or teams that want Giannis as a carrot. So we've seen guys do this for their brothers. We've never seen someone do it for their son. J R. Smith did it for his brother Chris, but that's because the ages have never matched up. So I think that was initially the plan. But then Bronnie kept getting better and better and better, and now he might be a legit NBA player eventually on his own. So it complicates things, but in a good way. But here is the Galaxy brain part of it. Evan Mobley, who's one of the best young players in the league, plays for the Cleveland Cavaliers. Cleveland famously obviously draft of lebron He played there, he left, he came back won a title with him. Evan's dad, Eric, is a coach at USC. The Cleveland Cavaliers traded away all their future draft picks for Donovan Mitchell except for their first rounder in twenty twenty four, which is the year Bronni could come out. Lebron is a free agent in twenty twenty four and the Calves have every spot on the roster filled out except for a really good small forward. So could the Calves draft Bronni in the late first round a year from now and have bron come back a third time? It's on the board. Could the Knicks draft him trying to get Lebron to Madison Square Garden.
Speaker 4: It's on the board.
Speaker 3: It's also on the board that Bronni decides not to be one and done or you know, go on his own pat But if Lebron were to, whether they're on the same team or not, play in the NBA at the same time his son was playing in the NBA, it would be one of the most remarkable feats in sports history. Because of the longevity and all of it. We've seen it in baseball, King Griffy Senior and King Griffy Junior. We've never even King Griffy Ken.
Speaker 4: Ken Ken Griffy j That is wow.
Speaker 3: King Griffy Junior is one of the greatest baseball players of all time.
Speaker 5: And that's amazing for him, you know, but that that's.
Speaker 3: A great name. Are you getting? He was so cool? I don't have to do a King Griffy thing. He was like the coolest base What did you say? Uh? But we've seen it in baseball. We never thought it was possible to see him basketball, and we might be a year away from it. All right, we talk a little Nikola jokicch and we play Nick right public defender. That's next, What's right?
Speaker 6: We're so done with New Year, new you. This year, it's more you on bumble.
Speaker 5: More of you.
Speaker 6: Shamelessly sending playlists, especially that one filled with show tunes. More of you finding geminis because you know you always liked them. More of you dating with intention because you know what you want and you know what. We love that for you. Someone else will too be more you this year and find them on bumble.
Speaker 3: All right, welcome back in What's right with Nick Right? Oh, you missed your chance to welcome us back into yours.
Speaker 5: I saw that you were about to do it.
Speaker 3: Dior and I were having an interesting conversation off the ear that will run on the air in just a moment. But first I got it. I'm such no I am such an anxiety riddled mess. Broussard text me during the first block, and if you guys were watching and you might have seen I got distracted a bit. Brew text me. He was like, are you free for a second or are you doing the pod? And all I could think about is like, oh man, Brew must be really upset with me about something. And I was like racking my brain about what I could have done that to upset Brew. But he's never mad at me, so I don't know why I thought he was, And so I text him during this segment. I was like, I'm doing the podcast, but what's up? Because I had to know what was going on? And he was like, I just text you and wild She was like, I just think you should go first to start the show today instead of me. That was it. It was about a Steph question for the top of the TV show. I don't know why my brain every time I get a phone call or a text, I'm just like that.
Speaker 5: Why everyone know every time I every time I call you, you.
Speaker 3: Answer, You're like, hello, I'm always nervous. Hello, I'm Michaels nervous.
Speaker 4: Every time my phone rings.
Speaker 5: Every single time I call him, I'm like are you okay?
Speaker 3: Just like yeah, yeah, fine, I'm always fine, but I'm always word something terrible is going on. I don't know why Brian need medication. All right, so do Youora mentioned in the break that this is now the second time that she almost went to school with Bronnie James, Lebron's kid, because their same grade.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're the same age. And there's a point in time we thought we were going to have to move to la for the show, and we were looking at high schools and I applied to one and I got into one. I was like, Okay, that's the one we'll go to, and Bronnie went to that same.
Speaker 4: Is the school you were going to go exactly, and then we ended.
Speaker 5: Up moving exactly, and then USC was my top choice school, but then I didn't get in, and then Bronni.
Speaker 3: Is Bronni and now Bronnie's going there, And then we were talking about something else, which is you said because you asked me if that was his real name, Yeah, and his real is It is his real name now, but he was named Lebron James Junior and he changed his name to Bronni and Lebron Senior. I guess has talked about this and that was his call here. Well, I mean, it's just I want to make we're talking about that it was his that it was the son's call. And Lebron has said that he regrets naming him Lebron James Junior, that that was put too much on his shoulders. Uh, and you had thoughts on that and then one other point on it, But go ahead, what do you mean about him why he changed his name, about why you would want to change his name.
Speaker 5: I was just saying it must be like rough because you don't know why people want to be friends with you.
Speaker 3: Well, that's that is to me a really fascinating thing, which is.
Speaker 5: If you are like I've had that before and you're definitely not as big as a star as Lebron James's, you know.
Speaker 3: What, Well clearly, but so that so you actually you've you've wondered that before, like is someone being nice to you because they thought they could get something from me or they liked me on the show or something.
Speaker 5: Well like yeah, there's like a few kids at my school that's just like are just like, you know, a little off like to everyone, and then all of a sudden it's just like, hey, like, I'm it's almost my birthday, Like, do you want to do something with me and my friends? And I'm like no, like.
Speaker 3: And like what there's a either some sports connection or something involving yeah, so uh.
Speaker 5: Or remember there was a point in time where my dad came and spoke to the sports club at my school because they begged me to get like to convince him to do it. And it was like with a kid I wasn't really friends with. I'm kind of friends with him now, but like it was just out of nowhere, and I was like, eh, I don't know about that, Like you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So and I And to your point, it is we are I am now, I am not a celebrity, and I am like very very very like sports TV guy is somewhere ahead like sandwich between like famous commercial actor who no one knows their name but recognizes them from the commercials.
Speaker 5: Hey you're that guy from ESPN.
Speaker 3: Right right, exactly right, And so it's it is not real celebrity, it is more notoriety. You then go to the other end of the spectrum, which is Lebron James is one of the most probably one of the fifteen most famous human beings alive if you are his kid, once you are old enough to be self aware and you know, deal with high school politics and stuff, do you have to be Do you have like a level of insecurity about anyone who's nice to you or tries to be friends with you.
Speaker 4: Is it because they actually like me?
Speaker 3: Or is it because they want to be invited my house or meet my dad or those.
Speaker 5: My thing is, though, when you're in public, I I could just because I have a terrible memory, but I could see a famous person and be like, huh, I know them from somewhere and just be like completely oblivious and just and like not saying Brownie is not famous. But if I saw Bronnie on the street, I wouldn't be like, oh, that's lebron James.
Speaker 4: Kid that you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: But kids at his high school all.
Speaker 5: Know, well, yeah, of course, And now maybe.
Speaker 3: It's good he goes in high school. It goes to because a lot of.
Speaker 5: I must say, a lot of celebrity kids go there, and a lot of them are kind of on the same level.
Speaker 4: Well, that is the thing. Like it is.
Speaker 3: It is a level of celebrity, fame and wealth that is a very like I you.
Speaker 4: Know who's gonna deal with this once she.
Speaker 3: Gets a little bit older. Blue Ivy, Oh, that's gonna be rough.
Speaker 5: Right, she's homeschooled, though.
Speaker 3: I almost wonder if you I don't want to say you have.
Speaker 5: It's Beyonce's kid though, that's that's like a whole.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. That's so that's what I'm.
Speaker 5: Saying, like the president's kid, right, and I and by the way, and I know people, sorry, just real quick.
Speaker 3: Historically that's been really tough on president's kids. The Bush twins had a rough time, Chelsea Clinton had a rough time. No Chelsea Clinton part at a rough time because Rush Limbaugh was truly horrible to her as a child.
Speaker 4: And the Obama kids, I don't know if they've had a rough time, but you know.
Speaker 5: They kind of had a rough time in college, not as much in high school.
Speaker 3: But you know people that are friendly with one of them, correct now.
Speaker 5: I know people that are not friendly. But no Trump's kid because he's Columbia the wait, which the one that's like sixteen or something.
Speaker 3: Oh, not Columbia University.
Speaker 5: No, Columbia. We played in all the leagues and stuff.
Speaker 4: So right, so all of that's is it is.
Speaker 3: And then to circle back to the browny thing, if you are a big time athlete at one of these schools, there's a natural in high scularity. Yes, in high school, the two quickest paths to popularity, and this is a tale as old as time. I don't think it will ever change is very pretty girl, great athlete boy, Those across all high schools, all eras.
Speaker 4: That's not the only ways to be popular, but.
Speaker 3: Those are almost surefire popularity ways if you want it. So, if you are that kid, do you have like you probably even if you weren't a famous person's kid, you'd have a lot of people that want to hang out with you, be friends with you. But do you have a level of like a voice in your head that always wonders do the actions right? And I think that's I think that's This is a very fern version, but it's kind of a branch of the same tree. It's the same reason why I said your first year at college, you can't have a car. One of the reasons, remember, yeah, that I the.
Speaker 5: You don't want to be the person that has the car because every want to use.
Speaker 3: You well and you don't. Right, then you don't. You don't get a good gauge on whether or not these people actually like you, or whether or not you are just the person with the car, so they're nice to you by out of necessity. And so again it's not the same, but it's the same kind of thought pattern. So I don't know, I I think. And it's also why it's a tough road for celebrity kids. Man, it's a tough and I again, I there are obviously far, far tougher things. I'm not trying to say any of that. What I am saying is it is not surprising that sometimes famous people's children go through some stuff because there are these added things that during adolescence, when you already have so many you know, changes and things going on your brain, and all of this is just an added layer of the lack of ability to be one hundred percent sure on who's your who's got your back, and who doesn't. And it's also one of the reasons why so many people, particularly athletes, that become famous and wealthy, their closest group are the people that predate the fame and wealth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because those are the.
Speaker 3: People the only people that you can be lock solid certain like you for you as opposed to and it's why. But it's also why so many actors and actresses date others actors and actresses because it's.
Speaker 4: Like, we know, you know, you're not using it.
Speaker 5: They could use you for the levels of correct and we've seen that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: But it's also why a lot of A listers try to date A listers. Yeah, you know, it's like we're because we're in the same We're in the same world. Okay, this was kind of a cidebard, but it was interesting. All right, let's let's move on to the back to the show.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Okay, According to you, Jokic pushed a nerd Sunday.
Speaker 3: I made wild die laughing when I said that. Man, he tries never to like break character if you will laugh at mean jokes, but he couldn't help himself. But go ahead, and that.
Speaker 5: Nerd was the Sun's owner.
Speaker 3: Yeah are you?
Speaker 5: Are you in on Jokic now that he's the NBA villain.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, Jokic has been unbelievable this postseason, and I don't blame him at all for pushing matt Ashbia Matt Ashbia. Joey Taylor said this I'd never heard this line before. Evidently it's an old line, but I'm gonna credit Joy with it because I had never heard it before.
Speaker 4: She said it, play stupid.
Speaker 3: Games, get stupid prizes, and matt E Shbia was playing stupid games and he won a stupid prize, which is a giant Serbian gentleman shoving him in the chest. And then he flopped like a fish on a boat. So I'm glad the NBA didn't suspend Jokic. The funny thing about it is this, he almost assuredly would have been suspended if that wasn't the Sun's owner. Some people thought he was gonna get in more trouble because, oh my god, you pushed an owner of the team.
Speaker 4: I think it actually worked the opposite.
Speaker 5: Because the owner doesn't want the team to lose.
Speaker 3: Well, no, he owns the other team. So but but if he had just shoved a random fan sitting courtside, I think he gets in way more trouble because the owner was clearly trying to like insert himself in the action, and he didn't really feel like just a civilian. It was someone who has a connection to the team owned the team and was because the what happened if people didn't watch it. The ball goes out of bounds, a Sun's player falls down Jokic and the ball bounces to the Son's owner, brand new owner just bought the team. Jokic runs over because he wants to start the fast break because the Sun's players still on the ground. The Son's owner doesn't want to give up the ball. Jokic tries to grab it from him. The owner Ishbia, won't give it to him, and the ball pops away and then Jokic pushes him. He was Ishbia was inserting himself into the action. Jokic didn't like it. I and I liked Jokiic's postgame prize conference. I did not believe Jokic should have won the MVP two years ago or last year. It does not mean I think he stinks, and far from stinking, he's been awesome in the playoffs this year. Now. It is true that Jokic has a history of some dirty plays, this.
Speaker 4: Was not one of them, and.
Speaker 3: It's really good the NBA didn't suspend him. And I think she looks way worse than jokicen this all right, We're playing nick right public defender. Okay, keep in mind, by the way, like a public defender does. I am simply defending the client. I have been assigned by the state to the best of my abilities. I am not necessarily I do not necessarily believe these takes. Go ahead, So sorry, you're fine, Go ahead.
Speaker 5: The Sun's owner, Matt held the ball after a play was stopped in the crowd, then flop back into a seat when Yoki bumped him. Defend your client, s nerd Matt Ashbia.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen, the jury of this verse. My client did not get up. Do you want to go get some water? Do this your honor? Are you okay? Would you like a five minute recess? No? I just cure if you would, your honor. If it pleases the court, we can take a break.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: My client just sitting there watching a basketball game. Ball bounces to him. He was not trying to delay any action. He was checking on the health of one of his players. And then a man who has a history of violence against my team specifically shoves my client in the chest. And by the way, when they say when they say that the assault, the assailant, Nikolajokic was trying to start a fast break. This isn't street ball.
Speaker 4: Can't check it in. He needs a referee.
Speaker 3: Anyway, my client did nothing wrong and was assaulted, and due to the reckless assault of Jokic, my client had to be defamed on television, the very popular TV host calling him a nerd, talking badly about him when all he was trying to do was check on the health and well being of his player, Josha Kobe. Yes, your honor, nothing, I arrest my case. I didn't really wanted to bendh yet.
Speaker 5: Next, the Celtics had a shot to win in overtime versus the seventy six ers, but Jason Tatum went full Ben Simmons counselor defend your client, Jason Tatum.
Speaker 3: My client's job is to play basketball. My client's job is to guard, score, rebound. My client's job is not to strategize. There is someone whose job is to strategize, the head coach, Joe Mizzoula. And the head coach Joe Mizzouola was negligent, didn't call time out, didn't put his best offensive unit on the floor. He's not dead. Well, maybe he should be. Maybe he should be on trial because he set my client up to be the fall guy. His Michael Cohen, if you will, while he is getting away scott free due to gross negligence standing there.
Speaker 5: Doing nothing, Come down, Come down.
Speaker 3: My client almost had a twenty and twenty game, has come through again and again for this franchise over the course of the last six years, and you're blaming him as opposed to his thirty four year old first time head coach that can't be bothered to call a time out and keeps running plays for Marcus Smart.
Speaker 4: It should also be noted that.
Speaker 3: My client, before overtime got Mark is Smart a wide open look to win the game right after my client hit a step back three to go ahead in the game, and Mark is Smart short armed.
Speaker 4: My client, Jason Jatum, is not the villain here.
Speaker 3: He is the hero.
Speaker 5: You're not a very good lawyer. Next, leave it, Tom Tjo.
Speaker 4: Next.
Speaker 5: Chris Paul has always come up short in the playoffs. Now after his injury, Phoenix is two and all without him. Sky is so overrated, Coutzer. Defend your client, Chris Paul.
Speaker 3: No defense necessary for the point god god. My client, the point God, Chris Paul. My client's the fifth gradest point guard in the history professional basketball. My client's thirty seven years old, five foot eleven and still a winning quality player. And without my client's leadership, you think a team led by Kevin Duranton Ben and uh Devin Booker would be able to survive two games to save their season without my client's on bench coaching, without my client coaching up.
Speaker 4: Campaign, literally not even playing right.
Speaker 3: And so he has to go full blown leadership, all right, coaching from the bench. Okay, I agree, case dismissed his scurtless charges.
Speaker 5: Next, the Westminster Dog Show is underway in New York with one notable admission. Counsel, defend your client Dexter. Right, my handsome guy.
Speaker 3: So I think we have pictures of my client is also a dog. Look at my guy. That's Dexter, or Portuguese water dog, wearing what looks like a Bottlin Siaga sweatshirt, but it's actually Paul in Siaga, handsome like my little, my little that's him laying on the steps. We have more pictures of Dexter that we're gonna show.
Speaker 5: Like I'm the one who gets these photos that I'm still like, oh my Godnes.
Speaker 3: You listen, you door loves this dog, and I'll defend him. In just a moment, we can just roll through these pictures. So here's why my client, uh was not invited to Westminster.
Speaker 5: He's a babiac.
Speaker 3: He's one of the dumbest animals ever to live.
Speaker 5: He's really he's not great.
Speaker 3: I mean, I understand no dogs are brilliant, but our dog is cartoonishly stupid.
Speaker 5: He I watched him chase his tail yesterday until he fell down the stairs. He like, was it going at circle with going a circle? Still he fell down the stairs.
Speaker 3: He We have these somewhat windy staircase at our house and in the on the kitchen level, it's like two stairs and then a ninety three turn. And every day when that's the different staircase, but it's similar setup. Every day when I walk up those stairs and he follows me, he gets so excited. He jumps up the first two stairs, but he is not yet figured out that every time he does that, he just launches himself into the wall, so he hits the wall, stumbles and then goes back up. It goes up the rest of the.
Speaker 5: Stairs, just acts like nothing happened.
Speaker 3: And he gets so excited. Every time someone comes to the house, he just peas on himself. He just can't help himself, and he jumps and peas on himself and then gets embarrassed and then just keeps jumping.
Speaker 5: He gets really excited when he sees me.
Speaker 3: He's a very loving, wonderful dog who honestly might be I don't know what the proper noman Isn't he.
Speaker 5: One of the like dumbest dog breeds though, like.
Speaker 3: Water dogs are historically pretty stupid, But I think he's like the dumbest of the dumb I I just really really think he Yeah.
Speaker 5: Wait, wait, you're supposed to be defending it.
Speaker 3: That's my defense. My client's incompetent to stand trial. He doesn't understand the charges against him. He barely knows his own name. How on earth could the he doesn't.
Speaker 5: He actually doesn't respond to me when I call him dexter. The other response when I call him handsome. Yeah, he's like the best. He's the best little fur ball ever.
Speaker 4: All right, we answer your questions next.
Speaker 3: What's right? Well, oh, you literally just heard me say that i'd will uh go ahead and welcome and said.
Speaker 5: Gosh, welcome back. Episode one forty nine. Now we're gonna answer the listener's question. Yeah, so first we have Noah Cauldron said, here's my question, why is Steph the greatest PG ever ever?
Speaker 3: Go ahead, I got that.
Speaker 5: I'm reading what it says.
Speaker 4: Oh gotcha, and the best shooter ever.
Speaker 5: But late in the game, when he doesn't make any shots and he gets the small player pass.
Speaker 3: I don't listen. I don't He's not gonna get a small player pass for me. First of all, he's not the greatest point guard ever. That's magic Johnson. He is the second greatest point guard ever, and he is the greatest shooter ever. He has not been good in his career. When he's been unbelievable on clutch shots to ice games like up five ninety seconds left, one more bucket ends it. STEP's one of the best, maybe the best we've ever scene, But when trailing in the final minutes, he's historically just hasn't been great. That's part of the story, it's part of his basketball history.
Speaker 4: Listen, there is no perfect play.
Speaker 3: Well, there might be one perfect player, but typically there is no perfect player. You know what, I think you get canceled for those types of comments.
Speaker 4: I thought that's wrong.
Speaker 3: But so there is no perfect player. But you've got to be fair and just say Steph's limitations defensively which were exploited again in the fourth quarter last night, and his lack of you know, hardly any of those iconic team trailing hits the shot to win the game moments, those hurt him. Now he just had fifty in a game seven. It's not that he gets nervous, it's not the moments too much for him. He just hasn't been great. That's part of his story.
Speaker 5: Next, Okay, glass Dan twenty five said, Nick, do you think Lebron is reserving energy until the finals where he'll go all out? Or is he going to stay around this level for the entire playoffs or finals? Will he make concerted a concerted effort to win.
Speaker 3: The finals? MVP? So, I think Lebron knows how much gas he has left in the tank and his panage. It's not that much, and he's planning for four rounds. So I do think we will see the best version of Lebron come the finals, especially because the finals aren't every other day. You have two games two days between games for all of them except for games three and four. And you saw last night last night was a critical game. Lebron was playing one style for three quarters and then in the fourth quarter went to point. Lebron started hunting, step and doing old Lebron stuff. Now he's got to start making his threes, and at some point you would think he will. But I do think he is trying to ration out his energy and thus far it's gone very well.
Speaker 5: Next okay, Darth Jesse said, if Barnie gets drafted by a small market team like Charlotte, like Jordan.
Speaker 3: Did, no, not saying like he's put lol Jordan, because Michael Jordan owned Charlotte.
Speaker 5: Got it? Do you see Lebron going there?
Speaker 3: So that's interesting. I don't think so, but maybe I mean, if Lebron's serious that that's what matters most to him. I also think it matters the timeline of it, and is Lebron still competing for championships or has he moved to a different phase of his career if Lebron, if Bronni comes out in a year, Lebron's still obviously competing for championships. Uh all right?
Speaker 5: Next okay? Next, Jonathan Malaria said that they need Dexter to co host.
Speaker 3: He's not allowed in the stories too dumb, He'll eat the close Next.
Speaker 5: Uh cutlass okay, cutlass. Nick said, if the heat went it all, does Jimmy Butler make it onto your.
Speaker 3: Best fifty best players over the last fifty years.
Speaker 5: I don't need you to finish my sentences.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I thought you left out an important word. Uh. I don't know. It's such a unique career because the regular season accomplishments aren't there. But if they were to win it all, it's an all time playoff run. Uh. Go ahead.
Speaker 5: Next, Matt asked, is there a dumber sports crime in history than the Commander's tampering to sign Andrew Love?
Speaker 3: So here's the thing. I have a feeling that Matt is our producer, Matt Ford, who tried to put that in the show today, And it was the one question I erased, Is it Matt? Is it you? Confirmer? Deny?
Speaker 4: Is it you confirmed? I knew it he put it in the show.
Speaker 3: I erased it because I do not care about the commanders at all. But he's a Commander's fan. So now he's putting it in the chat like he's just a listener or viewer trying to get his questions answered when he produces the show. Matt two minute minor put yourself in time out like they do on Loveoutard show.
Speaker 5: All Right, next, Gave Goodwin asked, will our produce where our production team need to go back and scrub the archives of all your Draymond slander when he teams up with his boss Lebron.
Speaker 3: No, I my commentary is unbiased. There, Listen, my Draymond opinions have not made my life easier. Draymond is super close with someone I'm super close with, and it causes me a little bit of no. Uh, it's part of that crew though, But it's just what did you say? I didn't. I really didn't hear what you said. But it just is what it is. And I respect Draymond's basketball career. I also think my opinions on Draymond are well founded. His opinions on me are well founded. I also do think Gabe is onto something that he and Lebron could end up playing together at some point. I don't know if that would work, but I do think that could happen. All right, Huge Day to Day.
Speaker 4: I'll be on with Coward in about ninety minutes.
Speaker 3: I am the Today's show is going to be brilliant, and we had one for show Dior. You did a great job. You don't want a rating out of ten? What about on a one to one hundred scale.
Speaker 5: No, I'm okay, okay. I have a great day everybody.
Speaker 3: You know, see you guys on Thursday. What's right?
Speaker 5: Bye here Cho