Speaker 1: Wind Down with Janet Kramer, an iHeartRadio podcast. You want to have a fun little bonus app I do I missed you? I missed you too. This is before we go to the beach. But what we're recording this so but I don't know, I just like, I don't want to talk about all the things. But you've been traveling a lot. I have a lot to say about traveling with kids. Okay, go okay, Oh, I have something too about the travel about before going to the beach. Okay, but go you a first. Are you gonna remember right down? Yeah, welcome to your forties. Okay, So we've traveled a bit. We actually have had like we have had four trips within three weeks.
Speaker 2: That's a lot for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you don't really I don't want to say, because you do travel, but you not like going a lot with pressing. This is good, Yeah, this isn't It has been like a little bit more saturated, and I'm starting to unders stand the the actual Like I've always had an importance about like everything that my kids eat, about sleep, all of it. But this travel piece over the last couple of weeks has really opened my eyes to another level. And I so we I've gotten a lot of questions about this. I think I might go to Instagram and just do like people are like, how do you travel with the kids?
Speaker 2: What are you like? What's your like kind of process?
Speaker 1: Right Like, we do it so often that I think it's overwhelming to other people when they do this. And one of the things I know for sure we have to do is I instacart to wherever we're staying, because I just need us to have first breakfast, right like, you know, to take the edge off in the morning when they wake up right away. They're always hungry. And if you're staying in a hotel, then you're like, okay, well I Don't'm not ready yet to shuffle down and get eggs or whatever. And then I also just need us to have really good snacks for us.
Speaker 2: So I used to.
Speaker 1: Let Legend get whatever he wanted at the air because we don't junk food. Okay we really don't, you know, like he loves he calls them orange chips doritos. He gets the stuff on the bus when he goes on the bus. I think fifty percent of him wanting to go on the bus is because of data. I think the other fifty is because there's pop tarts, so the orange chips. We do the late July version of what would be kind of like a dorito. It's cleaner, not the cleanness, but cleaner for sure. I am almost positive that he has some sort of like allergic reaction to dyes, sugars, something something makes him completely unhinged. I watched it. We did a really quick Michigan trip. I let him have whatever he wants. Now, when I say whatever he wants, this isn't he doesn't get candy. But he had cheese its and pringles, and then upon arrival I didn't realize he was downing Capri sons.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: And we don't eat like that his little system and for good reason. What I have noticed a difference in him when he has a lot of sugar. If he has, he just can't. It's like it he needs a detox. Yeah. So we did this final trip or this last trip, and then I have one coming up this weekend. I'm taking a love bug and she eats like me. So that's really super easy. You know, we're just a couple of forty year old girls out in the wild. But there's something, really there's something to be said for the consistency of the way we eat and travel. And I'm I'm gonna crack down even harder with my family because I cannot. I mean, I know, I can't eat like junk when we travel. You know, my belly just gets descended. I'm gross, I don't feel good, I don't sleep well.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: But the kids, I've always given a little leeway too, because I'm like, oh, you should adventure, you should be allergic to anything. So they're not not food tested allergic to anything. I know that that is. You know, I do wonder if there's something specific, like I've always wondered that a little bit with like gluten with love, if she has a sensitivity. And I always feel for Loo's parents. You know, there's like I remember working with kindergarteners, we had this. We used to watch this video. Have you ever heard of this? The Alexander the elephant that couldn't eat peanuts. It's the sweetest And this is from the days of you Are. I don't even know if this still circulates because this is like twenty years ago, but we used to show this video because you know, twenty years ago, specifically, if you had a peanut allergy that was really really like a big deal. It is now too, but it's more common. So now we have like peanut friendly schools or nut friendly schools. All of our snacks are vetted blah blah blah. But I am starting to understand and wonder the if we have anything going on in our family. And I don't know how to test for that, but I would really love to know because it sends him in a way that I can't. I'm telling you, it's like he has to detox it out of his system. Yeah, I'll never forget. I did a girl's trip with some kids and their kids, and it was the first time that I let my and let Jolie have lucky charms. But it was because I felt pressure of them, like making fun of me that I didn't want her to have lucky charms. Yeah, that I then like allowed so that that I was being this like crunchy mom to not let her have it. So therefore we then had the sugary cereals all the things that I grew up with, like the fruit loops and all the things, and then getting them off of that was one of the hardest things because now you know, we have. I still let them have cereal, but it's the organic kind and that's not filled with all the sugars and even so much like with my ex, I'm like, please stop giving them this kind of cereal because it's it's I've seen what it's doing. But then when they're not doing it, it's like Jolie's skin, like she's got really bad ezema. When she eats stuff like that, her skin gets so much worse. And that's proof, like gut, Yeah, your gut is directly related to things like that. Yeah, I'm with you, but I just feel and I don't know why because it's I feel like it's changing. But I do get this. I had, you know, I had one family member mentioned it to me. They go this over the break over the summer. She was like, your kids don't eat any like bad snacks, and I'm like, no, they don't like and and but then it was she was like praising it. She's like that's great, you know, like everything I've seen you give them is all really good stuff. But it's the people that make the comments like oh, they can't have cheese uts, Like, no, they can't.
Speaker 2: It's wild and even you can't pronounce.
Speaker 1: Anything on those boxes. But then I look like the crunchy mom because I'm like, I don't want them to have that. I know, but it's what It's been interesting because even as studies come out about the dies and everything in our foods, Preston even will send it to me and he's like, baby, you knew, and I'm like, I'm telling there's something, so stay crunchy.
Speaker 2: I I don't like the but I the label that we get.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, but most of the time it comes from an older generation that is drinking their diet coke while they tell you, but also like I get it. That's what I was raised on too. Like you guys, I used to down white cheddar cheese. It's like they were going out of style. But I also had most like in flame stomach, and it was until I stopped doing all the and all the bad pro I got rid of the cheese its and all the process stuff that I was doing, and then on top of my gut cleanse that I didn't have anxiety because I was a dirt flame with all the stuff. And it is it is a direct correlation. And it's like I'm trying to tell you it's but it's like them for my kids. I'm like, I see how they act different when they have certain types of foods, But then I'm almost getting judged that.
Speaker 2: They can't. I know.
Speaker 1: So at baseball games sometimes I know this is where I was going, I know, and it's hard because what do you mean? The kids are going in these bags and then the one pulled out the Cheetos and I look. Jason's like, Mommy, can I please have these? And I'm like, yes, you can have them, I said, but I need you to understand that, like Mommy's still not. I know you're gonna like them, you know, but I don't. But I also there's sometimes I'm like maybe even later and then and then I get rid of them. I know, same, and that it's when they packed the gatorades for me, soe I do think kids do need when they play like and they sweat that much. I understand the gatorade combo, but I just don't like what good I know. I know, I know I have a good electro late for him, like I put in, but it's cute because now he'll come to me like dig around and the last two games he's come over afterwards and he said, I went to the very bottom. I found the one that has the least amount of die. I'm like, so, Jacob, we'll grab Eminem's and go Mommy, I took out the red ones. Oh well, like you're on your way, buddy. But I don't know. I just wish. I think it's changing. It is changing, but it's a certain It's like I I do. And my question is there's all these sensitivities and now there's all these allergies, and I wonder if we were given cleaner food with better ingredients and things that our bodies can process and metabolize and digest better, would we see a decrease of that we just have healthier guts. Well that's the thing too about alcohol and why like we're pretty much a dry house now. And again I'm not going to say I'm never going to not have red wine again, But what does it cost my gut?
Speaker 2: Microbiome?
Speaker 1: I found so old? But it's true, it's like I have to restart the whole thing. And it's like I've gone so far with my gut cleanse and anxiety, all of it and feeling good that it's like for what for one got of wine? I know, and I did say that I go to Europe. This is why I want to live in Europe.
Speaker 2: Oh so good.
Speaker 1: I lost for like, no, three pounds when I went. And you can eat carbs all day long. I even ate cheese, Yes you did, and I felt great. I know I did too. I ate French fries over there and felt great to yeah, all of it. And I just felt like, I think, it's just cleaner ingredients.
Speaker 2: Simple. It's about what it's supposed to be.
Speaker 1: I do think, though, there's so much correlation between the food allergies and just how your kiddos act.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how I act. Well, I'm tired.
Speaker 1: I'm more tired when I have something that's not great for me. Yeah, And I tried my best this last trip. I did try my best to like really just have salads where we could have salads, you know, but man like I had a little bit of pasta one of the nights. It looked as if I was four months pregnant the next day. I mean, it is wild to me how quickly it happens. Yeah, we're just trying to process things we're not supposed to process. I think. And there's the I mean mentally physically, food wise, nutritionally, we're really in it. So I'm going to try something for the beach. Okay, kids don't have iPads here, they don't ever do iPads. The only time they ever do iPads is for a flight. Okay, I'm going to flights, yeah, all flights. Okay, I'm going to do a no iPad on this flight.
Speaker 2: You can do it. We've had no iPads for two years now. Flights.
Speaker 1: Now, I say that if we're going to if we're going to Scotland, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, or something like that. But I'm like, okay, we're going to Florida. It's an hour and a half. That's great, And I think I'm going to just be like, no, it's so already prep them, like, guys, we're not doing iPads, So bring a coloring book for little action figurine because then when we get there, it's like the second they have it, they go too much of that bad in the morning, and then it becomes the obsession again with something I've watched it. Yeah, we went through it too. We're cold Turkey. I can't do it. Yeah, I'm going to try something this time on travel too with the kids, where like you know, then it's so it's the pure pressure of ice cream. Right, everyone's getting ice cream. Oh, we do the ice cream. Yeah, so we're doing the ice cream. That's where I'm not crunchy. But we're not doing M and m's on the ice cream. Oh okay, like we don't. Leve won't pick that anyways. But Leggie is like.
Speaker 2: I took them.
Speaker 1: I took them to the sprinkles or whatever that is ben cheese and they lay loaded it up because sometimes I just feel bad.
Speaker 2: Well listen and they've got it. Here's the other thing.
Speaker 1: A lot of times when they have it, then they get the belly ache and they're like, oh you know.
Speaker 2: It's like okay, well now we're learning, right you see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think it's so bad, but I do think when it comes to travel, the cleaner we can keep it. I've we've just gone less of I used to let it be a free for all. And I think that's also like kind of how we were raised. I don't know about you, but like there's a mentality that was passed stones, like you're on vacation, you know, yeah, like actually not on my gut is not on vacation. Speaking of allergies, though, this something has been happening to me, and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it with Nate.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: Well, So, I think it's the soy. I think I'm allergic to soy. Okay, it came up in my food thing that I had like a major reaction to soy. So I cut soy out right. And so you when you do like a food test, you go through all the things that like you shouldn't eat. So the top two was monk fruit and soy. Wow, and those are in a lot of things, a lot of things. So I've completely gone cold turkey now, none of it like zero speaking of cold turkey, mine was beef. It was like red alert, do not do that? You don't have any Isn't that wild? Because my body doesn't like it? But i'mren't paying attention to what my body doesn't like. But I think because some things are cooked in soy oil that I'm having a hard time, Like I can't swim when I'm eating something.
Speaker 2: Wait, this just happened to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at Pan's birthday party, and I like started to have an anxiety attack because I'm like, okay, swallow yah, and I get like this like cough, so I'm like, what is happening? Has anybody else experienced this? Please let me know? Yeah, And I was like, I think this is anafflunding shock. Isn't that what it's called. I don't know, but I don't know what's happening. I'm like, is this a food allergy or am?
Speaker 2: I like?
Speaker 1: No, I think it could be. There's something that restaurants cook in. It's an oil. I know that because it'll be like on a salad. So that's why I always dressing on the side and I taste my dressing. Huh, some oil And I don't know what it is. I should look back at my food test too. But something really messes with me, like it is instant, not like I'm gonna get sick. And they're like it gives me like I feel like I can't swallow my throat is like I don't know what. It freaks me out. Yeah, I don't like it for I've never.
Speaker 2: Like I don't.
Speaker 1: When we were in Paris, we had gelato every night and every night my belly hurt. But yeah, well yeah, I don't really eat dairy. Yeah so anyways, wow, we but really we really did. We really went in there. But vacation is among us, So this time, let's just make the pack you want to So we'll just try really hard to just keep it as clean as we can, and we'll come back with our findings. Yeah, you don't think you're gonna be able to do that. I already see you in Florida. It's vacation. I I know, I know, but I just feel like I'm so But if it is vacation, that's the other thing. We're traveling a lot right now, so I like we can't be going off the deep end once a week on a travel trick, right, But if it's once a few months, yeah, maybe so side note, Yeah, a lot going on this month, and we've got quite a bit of people coming up. It's should we tease a few of them?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We should.
Speaker 1: Amy, Alexander, I think is my number one. I love her that I'm most excited about. She's our therapist. I have something pinned for you when you and I and Kat are together. Oh that Amy sent me? Okay, bad? No, Okay, you remember it? Oh? Yeah, okay, are you nervous to I mean, I know we've talked to her a bunch, but I just feel like there's a piece of me that just kind of wants to open up even more. I know. I think that is I've been like really prayerful around this piece because I share enough that paints a picture, sure, but I don't excessively share because I also have this weird there's this weird like not weird.
Speaker 2: It's this obligation.
Speaker 1: I feel that I have this platform, but then the people don't have the platform to combat what I would want to say. But then also I have a lived experience. But I've recently just watched a show and I know I had mentioned this to you before, but I had watched this show that had this domestic violence scene. But it was the first time in a while. I think that maybe, I mean I wouldn't say ever, but probably in a while where it was from the kid's point of view, and I mean, it makes me emotional to even think about it. What happened to me was such, I mean, I was back in time, my whole body. It was I don't even know how to describe it. And so that is what I think probably needs to be talked about. But I'm just being prayerful on the way that I say things, not to protect people, but just I mean the impact, but it kind of goes to what we spoke about, the one that when I was talking about the three M thing where it's like your body remembers, Oh, it remembers, like Janda, I was back. I was, I was like seven eight nine. I could like, I mean when I tell you instant tears, closed my eyes and plugged my ears, and Preston saying next to me, is like, are you okay? I mean it's wild. And this scene, of course was another level. It wasn't to that extent, sure, but just I mean, your body remembers, it's really interesting. I was like, and I couldn't. I've done so much work that I thought for sure I've gone back and grabbed her the six seven eight year old you know. Yeah, and also too, and I really want to give people the opportunity to have Amy there for them too, you know, like why like for us, it's like, why are we having these body remembering moments like was what peace of us? Need to feel this part or you know, do this work or whatever it may be. But if there's anything that you want to ask Amy, please write in, because she is such an expert in areas of trauma and She's incredible. She's so so good. So if there's anything that you want to ask her that you have gone through, I feel like it would be really nice to open up a few listener questions for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think especially when people have the comfortability of sub many things anonymously, yes, to just get the answers they need from a professional. Yeah, because we I love doing the listener questions at the end, but like we don't know what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: We're just making our cope.
Speaker 1: Your cope is best weekend, Like I we have enough experience in certain areas, but these are just our opinions. Yeah, So Amy is phenomenon Me is you gave me Amy. I gave you Amy the gift that keeps giving. And Amy's really sweet and protective of us, which I love. Like she's already called me and was like you have a choice, and I was like, I know, I know, I have a choice, But I do think it's so important to talk about. And I don't know that the kids in these situations get enough of a voice. And there are a lot of us that grew up in these situations. It affects the way we do almost everything. Noise level in my house. You're allowed noise, like the reaction I have to anything loud.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: It's so I really think I'm going to be prayerful, but I'm just going to be open. It might be tough for you to be married to a Scotsman because there's times when I'm like, we'd stop yelling. He's like, this is not me yelling and I'm like, and it's not. But it's like to me, it's like I that was mine where it was this the stare or like the heightened level of languid like a volume. Yeah, it's crazy. So yeah, so we got her coming on to lighten things up. Yeah. I was like, well, we're going to get a few cast mates from the Christmas Ring, which November sixth in theaters. So excited about that. Love and Legend are living their best lives. Love was like, I want to be in every single one of Jana's movies, and I said she's an enabler in that she would probably just let you anywhere you can come.
Speaker 2: But I got a few people that sent me screenshots and we're like, is this.
Speaker 1: Is this Love? I see?
Speaker 2: It was a good is she.
Speaker 1: Made the trailer and you're so sweet I just feel like this Christmas movie is so different for some reason. It is there's like a really you're acting in this is different to me. And I love Ben just getting to know him too, and the writing was you know, but yeah, but Karen just all of it. It's maybe we'll get Karen Karen Kingsbury to sit on the couch too with us.
Speaker 2: I would love that.
Speaker 1: So stay tuned. We've got a really we've got a very loaded October with some heavy things and some you know, obviously speaking with Amy and about domestic violence and trauma and therapy. So we've got heavy, but we've also got some joyful episodes that I'm looking forward to and guests that we're going to have on So it's going to be a very packed but full, grateful month. I'm excited, per full of that. It's going to be great. It's going to be great. Well until then, let's all go get some box of cheeses and see our skin change, grab o probiot eggs, and we'll see you next month.