Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkshon, I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshon, and we are well underway into the Division series. And Dad, you were just in Toronto. You got on a flight, you got there seven hours early to make sure you didn't miss it. Now you're in New York and we've got more podcasting for everybody. We found time to do another episode during the playoffs. It's amazing, right, Yeah, Toronto was great.
Speaker 2: By the way, Jeff, I saw Uncle Craig, which is always an important thing. We have family in Toronto. That ballpark is really cool, Jeff. You know it opened in nineteen eighty nine. They've refurbished it. It's great. The crowd noise is incredible. Ernie clement, infielder for the Blue Jays, told me this place has been totally insane for the last month, but really since the middle of July, people here are really catching on to the Blue Jays. It was great. So we had a great time at Toronto. Rabbi Eduardo and I tremendous. The only downside no dive mountain dew in the city of Toronto. I looked everywhere. Now I can get through this, Jeff. I'm a grown man, but no dive mountain do in Toronto's that surprise you a little bit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've run into this is a couple times that when we've done trips to different various places growing up, when you we would go to a cabin or we would end up at a beach somewhere and you'd have to drive thirty minutes to find a diet mountain dew.
Speaker 2: I'm not that hooked. I am bad, but I'm not that bad. It's pretty bad, Jeff. But so that's okay. I'm in New York. They have dive mountain dews all over the place, and Jeff, I need to bounce something off you. Okay. The other day, some of my basketball friends from the Old Dog League, which is no longer because we're too old now, they send out a clip. I'm not even gonna be specific about it. They sent out a clip of a baseball player making some very controversial remarks and I can't even tell you who it is because it would be it's slanderous to do that. Okay. So I looked at it and I showed it to Eduardo. I showed him this clip that was passed around from all of our basketball friends and he looks at me and goes, Tim, that's AI. Don't ever use that. So they had taken Jeff, You've got to help me here, okay. To me, AI is Alan Iverson Okay, who, by the way, had the greatest crossover I've he has the greatest off the dribble move in the history of the NBA. None of that matters at the moment. What matters is I would never use something like that without checking it out. But I was completely fooled by this this player. Words were coming out of his mouth that he did not say. And that's what AI can do. Am I the most naive man in the world.
Speaker 1: No, you're not. There are plenty of people, well even my age, but your generation would get fooled a little more than mine. But nonetheless, even my age, we'll see an AI photo or an AI video of of somebody saying something they didn't say. And listen, Dad, I am the first to criticize you for your age, and you know I love you. But trust me, even I've been duped by some of these AI photos or these AI videos. I think I know the exact one you're talking about. It's an AI video of.
Speaker 2: Don't use his name. I'm not kidding, it's not right.
Speaker 1: Well, you're not sharing it. We won't use the name. But I know exactly the video because I've seen the same exact video and yeah, Dad, it's it's it's all fake.
Speaker 2: It looks that Did it fool you at all? No, Jeff, who does AI things like this? What what type of person would do something like that? Dad? Well?
Speaker 1: AI stands for artificial intelligence.
Speaker 2: Yes, so aware of that.
Speaker 1: It's the computer. So somebody types in show me Tim Kirkshin saying that he hates his son and this is the last episode of the podcast because he's a nightmare to work with, and they could do a video of you saying those words. It's a very scary time we're in. I don't want to go down the rabbit hole here and being dark, dad, but I want you to as youre shun. There are people, scary people out there who can like AI other people's voices, you know, and make it sound like it's me calling you. Just make sure it's me calling you. We'll have a secret word, okay. Our secret word is Walter Johnson High School. So if I don't bring up Walter Johnson High School. You know it's not me, Okay.
Speaker 2: All right, Jeff. This was troublesome and it was revealing, and as always, Eduardo Perez the greatest teammate ever. I wasn't going to release any of this, but I did ask him did you see this? And within one second he recognized this was AI at work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a scary time.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be completely honest with you, but I will say there are good uses of AI and they kind of have to do a little bit with my update for you, Dad. We are moving. We put we signed, we signed for a house. I oh, I haven't really yeah, actually I know you were doing a bit but actually yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. We're just fifteen minutes down the road, not too far from where we live currently, still in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, same school district, same everything. But yeah, we're moving houses.
Speaker 2: Well, am I paying for this one? Also?
Speaker 1: No, you're not getting pay for this one. But I will say, Dad, the point of bringing this up, the point I know, I know the point of bringing this up is because I use a thing called chat GPT, which is an AI service to help me find out Okay, what's my new monthly payment going to be? Like how much money should I put down if I want my payment to be at you know, X amount of dollars a month. So there are really positive uses. And here on the podcast as a staff of two.
Speaker 2: Jeff here and ten staff of one who knows what he's doing right.
Speaker 1: Right, you plan the show. We do the show together. I produce the show. I use small but substantial AI tools at times through this website we call that. We use it's called riverside to record when we're virtual. That kind of helped me get through the episode without having to be nitpicky. So it like cuts all the cameras for us an AI tool. So there are good uses of it, but there are scary not good uses of it Dad, So there's a.
Speaker 2: Lot a lot. After Eduardo saw that, he just looked at me and said, poor pop Up or pop Up. Even my colleagues called me poor pop Up when I screw up something like, well.
Speaker 1: We could do a whole episode full of poor Popop's dad, because I think we need to catch up on a lot of them because we have not been as good about it. But I have to give a shout out to one of our listeners. Okay, Sarah. Sarah sent us a message and she said her husband introduce her to is this a great game or what?
Speaker 2: Dad?
Speaker 1: And I know you saw this one because I saw that you had responded, and she recommended made a suggestion saying, maybe during the off season we could kind of rewind back and maybe dive deep into you know, those first time baseball fans. I'm not talking about like what's a single right, Like I think that's a little too basic, but we can go a little more into you know, what does a South Paul mean? Like why is it called that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Like the funny ins and outs of baseball, the warning track, Like we could do a whole episode Dad on like the terms of baseball that are a little bit deeper that if you hear them you might not know what they mean. Or we could do, you know, a whole episode of perfect games and no hitters right explaining obviously what they are, but then sharing some of your best stories with some of the best perfect games and best no hitter stories. I think I think this could be a really cool thing to do during the offseason. And we gotta, we gotta ask, we gotta thank Sarah for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think she called it baseball one oh one or something and there. Yeah, well, look, I'm in. I'm in. I love that people who don't necessarily love or understand baseball are tuning in. That's what we're that's what we're here for. We're here to help hopefully officionados and first timers.
Speaker 1: So it's great, that's what we're here for, all right, Dad. Well, now that we've gotten our AI and house buying updates done, let's go into the takeaways of the playoffs.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I gotta start with where I've been. I saw the Blue Jays, Jeff, and I knew they were good. They won ninety four games. They're even better than I thought. Number One, they have elite defensive team. They have a plus defender virtually every position, like anytime they throw eight or eight or nine guys out there. They also have scored the fourth most runs in the major leagues Jeff, and they scored twenty three runs in the first two games of the LDS against the Yankees. No team has ever scored that many runs in the first two games of any playoff series, and included in there was a stretch of twenty unanswered runs no team has ever done that, And Jeff, this is why we love baseball so much. The guy leading the way, at least at the beginning, was Alejandro Kirk, who is I'm sorry, he's a short, fat, little catcher, and yet he's a really, really good baseball player. And he hit two homers to end the regular season a clinch situation, and then he hit two homers in his first playoff games. So he's the only player in Major league history to two homers in a clincher to end the season and then two home in the first playoff game. No one's ever done that before. And he's got you know, he's got great battball skills and defensively he's got great hands. I mean, that's that's all that matters. When you watch a player play, doesn't matter what his body looks like. Can he play the game? Does he have the skills for it? I've told you a million times. One of the beauties of this sport is it's open to all shapes and sizes, and he is an odd shape and a really good player. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was really disappointed, Dad, because Ernie Clement, the aforementioned he hit a home run in Game two of the Alds and I was kind of in and out. I was watching my daughter McKinley while watching that game, and I ran back to the TV and I thought a guy hit a home run from the number nine spot. I got really excited, right, but he only was in the number nine spot in game one. I hadn't recognized that he was not, so I got really pumped that I was going to bring something to the table that you obviously would have had, but it was it was nothing for me. It was not.
Speaker 2: By the way, Ernie Clement looks a lot like Aaron Boone. We actually had this discussion I did with Ernie Clement and with Aaron Boone separately, and they both recognize that there's some similarities there, and they've both heard from both sides, Hey you look a little bit like each other. And Boone, of course is you know, much older. But I found that interesting that the manager and in this case, the third baseman that helped beat him in game two, they look a lot of light they do.
Speaker 1: And Dad, well, we were watching the Phillies game on Saturday night. My wife leapt into the air. Emily was so excited when there was a sacrifice fly in the game. She immediately said, I'm.
Speaker 3: So fascinated a sacrifice fly because that's like the thing she tracks now because that she knows that you are fascinated by sacrifice flies, and so she has now joined in the fascination.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm so glad that Emily is fascinated by anything that I do. So that is great. Now, speaking of the Jays, though, Treya Savage was just unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Jeff.
Speaker 2: He had pitched fourteen innings in his major league career and then out went out and pitched one of the most dominant games that anyone has ever seen in the history of the postseason. So seven different pitchers in the history of the game I have ever started a postseason game with fourteen or fewer innings in their career, and only two of them went three or more innings. This guy went five and a third, did not allow a hit, and struck out eleven. It was just unbelievable how good his stuff was. And Jeff, I need you to help me as a young guy that they were telling me before the game and during the week that no that he has the presence of Gaylord Perry going to the Mount. Gaylord Perry was an old veteran guy who would walk to that mound and make it clear to anyone who cared to listen, this is my mound. I'm in charge here, and that's the way this kid commands himself. At age twenty two, with fourteen innings in the big leagues, he started the season Jeff in a ball and then pitch one of the greatest games we've ever seen. The Yankees had zero chance, zero chance to get a hit off of this guy. How do we explain, Jeff? As I ask a young guy that our twenty two year olds are so much more advanced. I mean, George Springer of the Blue Jays told me, these kids are way better than I was when I first came up. And there's so much more polished and more worldly, he said. When I first was in the late minor leagues, he said, you know, I'm living with five guys. I'm sleeping on the floor or sharing a car. I'm eating six days a week at you know, Subway, he said. Now these kids come to the big leagues and there are personal chefs in the clubhouse. Wow, is that all part of it? These guys being more ready when they get.
Speaker 1: Here, Well, I think it definitely could be Dad, And I think his name might have something to do with it though, because you know what the kids are saying these days is savage. When someone's a savage, it's.
Speaker 2: A good thingod thing, right, So how do he pitch?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Savage?
Speaker 1: You savage tree, You've fun fact. Fun fact, Dad. I don't know if you recognize this, but our podcast is filmed in skip Back, Pennsylvania, right when we are together, And he grew up in Pottstown, Dad, that is actually twenty minutes where I go to my local costco. So he was born in Pottstown. I think he grew up in Boyertown, which is also like only twenty five minutes from here. So maybe during the off season, if he's visiting his parents, we can have him on the pod in the basement.
Speaker 2: You never know, you Savage, You never know. And I really got a kick out of the fact, Jeff, that John Schneider, the really really good manager for the Blue Jays, didn't even see this kid in spring training. He was so far he savage was on a backfield. He didn't even know. So the guy starts to advance in the minor leagues this year and John takes a look at the film here and there, and then the kid shows up and he goes he's way different in person. Okay, and Jeff, here's the lesson. We are trying to evaluate players based on a film clip or video and all this stuff, which is all good. But as you know, when a kid shows up, anybody shows up, and you look him right in the eye and then you watch him throw, it can be a completely different situation. So let's please not pass judgment on anyone till we actually meet him. Do we actually shake his hand, look him in the eye, and watch him throw a bullpen? Because when those guys watch him throw a bullpen, they went like this, whoa what is that? And then we saw what is that? On the highest level, he just absolutely dominated the New York Yankees.
Speaker 1: And now you're hearing people say about him, he is better at this than anything you will ever be in your entire life.
Speaker 2: Right, He is better at this than anything I have ever done in my life. He is better at this than anything you will ever do in your life. All right.
Speaker 1: That's how many times is searching for Bobby Fisher have been brought up in interviews. He's Andan Berke, Jeremy shapp I, wish region times. Maybe next time we have Cowerupken Jr. On We'll have to try to sneak it.
Speaker 2: In right who knows all right well speak even the Yankees, Jeff. Aaron Boone told me, this is the best Yankee team I've ever had. And he told me that that Game three of the wild Card Series against the Red Sox was the most pressure packed game he's ever been a part of. And he played in Game seven, hit a home run of the two thousand and three Alcs against the Red Sox, and he played in the World Series. But thinking this is the best team that we've I've had in New York. The pressure was enormous because if they didn't get through Boston, what a terrible, terrible disappointment that would be. But they they really need to get going, Jeff, because they're at this you know, they're they're down two oh going into Tuesday's game. But and Aaron, Judge just you just can't you can't speak without every time you see him, you can't stop. So George Springer told us the other day, blue Jay's outfielder, he was talking about the best players in the game, and he goes and someone said, Judge and he went like this, he doesn't count like he's too good. He doesn't count, like we can't even include him in the equation because he's that much better than everybody else. He said, you know, I just wish he would just be human once in a while, is how he put it. And Aaron Boon has told me multiple times here lately, this guy plays a different game than everyone else, and he's going to have to do that moving forward. Otherwise they're not going to get past the Blue Jays, and if they do, they're not going to get to the World Series. That's how important Aaron Judge is to this team.
Speaker 1: What other takeaways across beyond the series you've been covering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the Dodgers are really good, as I told you, Jeff, and as of this taping, they had a one to zero lead over your Phillies. And a couple things with them, Jeff. Look, they scored the most runs in the National League this year. They've also gone going into Tuesday Monday's game, twelve straight games in the postseason scoring at least four runs. Jeff. You face elite pitching in the postseason, and they've had twelve straight postseason games with at least four runs. The record is thirteen straight by the Orioles nineteen seventy seventy one. And so this team can really hit, and they are healthy again now that they have Will Smith back. But Roki Sazaki has been the different prints maker there, Jeff. He has pitched four innings four since he came off the injured list, and right now he's their closer because he throws a split finger fastball that nobody can hit. It's one of the filthiest things I've ever seen. And so they have taken a chance and taken a starter and thrown him in the bullpen in an impact inning, a high leverage inning, the ninth inning, and he looks like he's been doing that for ten years. So I really really like where the Dodgers are right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if I had to make a team tim for all babyface team, I think Sasaki would be my closer, one of my start like would have to be on there, because I mean he and I mean this with all due respect as a guy who had a babyface for a long, long, long long time, he doesn't look like he can do what he did. He came out ut of the mound and his build and his face. He just looks so young and he can just punish the Phillies in that final inning.
Speaker 2: Well, Jeff, again, the game is open to all shapes and sizes. It's one of the beauties of the sport. And Roki Sazaki has filled a hole at least for the moment, as the closer that the Dodgers really needed to fill. Also, the Brewers to me, Jeff, you know, they clobber the Cubs in Game one. We'll see where that series goes. But I just love watching the Brewers play. The Brewers are the National League equivalent of the Blue Jays, elite defensive team. Put the ball in play more than anyone else. Take the game to the defense all the time. They're running all over the place. I really like where the Brewers are right now, And again, Jeff, balls in play with the strikeout rate the way it is when you find a team like the Brewers and the Blue Jays that can put the ball in play as often as they did. One of the analysts for the Blue Jays told me that when the Blue Jays played the Brewers this year, it was the most fun series to watch because there are two teams that mirror each other. And they really play the game the right way. And I know this sounds corny, but it matters today. If you play a different game than everyone else, it's hard to match up with you. And that's the strength of the Brewers and the strength of the Mariners. By the way, Jeff, is that starting pitching which we're starting to see, and you know, the Tigers have matched them pitch for pitch. It's been amazing. But this is also where we are in our game today. Luis Castillo, who is unhittable as far as I'm concerned for the Mariners, he pitched four and two thirds hitless innings the other day and then he gave up a hit and they took him out of the game, Like this is how it works out. Granted he had walked four guys, he'd thrown a bunch of pitches, but you give up a hit now, not a run. You give up a hit, and they take you out of the game and go to the bullpen.
Speaker 1: I love seeing starters go longer games in the playoff stat I love it because you just know that's how serious they are. So when they get pulled in the fourth inning, I'm like, this is getting ridiculous. The fifth inning. Come on, I like to see starters go long games. I like to see it because it just makes me feel like it's playoff season.
Speaker 2: That's all right.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't want anybody to get hurt, but I hate when we're counting pitches in October. That's all.
Speaker 2: I totally agree, Jef. All right, last takeaway, Jeff. The Rangers hired Skip Schumacher to be their manager, replacing Bruce Bochie, who, by the way, is not done as a manager if he doesn't want to be done as a manager. Okay, So Skip Schumacher was manager of the Year for the Marlins and then they handled some things poorly and he moved on. He's a really smart guy. And I think I told you this story before. I love this Jeff. When he was a young kid, he's like five years old, he goes to a Dodger game. He loves the Dodgers at age five, and all the star Dodgers walk by him and all he wants is an autograph. He's five years old, and a bunch of the Dodgers just blow him off. So Oral Herscheiser is the last guy to come through and he sees Skip Schumacher, who's really upset. Poor kid can't get anyone to stop to sign his glove. Oral Hersheiser stops, looks at Skip Schumacher age five, and says, look, I'm not a star, but I'm on the Dodgers and I'd be happy to sign your glove. So he signs the glove and Skip Schumacher wore number fifty five as often as it was available as his uniform number as a tribute to Oral Hersheizer from Ozzie to Oral number fifty five. So when we talk about players having an impact on a young player, Skip Schumacher wore fifty five for his career because at age five, Oral Hersheiser signed his glove.
Speaker 1: Is that in the beauty, The beauty of the story is Oral Herscheiser wasn't even Oral Hrscheiser at the time of signing the glove. That's the coolest part is he the humbleness of him to say, yeah, I'm not a star, but I'm on the Dodgers. Can I help you? And ends up becoming a Hall of Famer. Just unbelievable. All right, Dad, we have a lot coming up. We've got the quirk Gins, We've got a team tim on this state all coming up next. All right, Dad, what are your quark gens going on in October?
Speaker 2: Well? I love defense in the big leagues. And cal Raley and Dylan Dinger are the catchers in the Tigers Mariners series, and neither one of them had a pass ball this year, and they're the everyday catchers for two teams playing in the same series. Cal Rawley played one hundred and twenty one games behind the play no pass balls, Dylan Dinger played. Dingler played one hundred and eighteen games no pass ball. So the last time any player had caught at least one hundred and twenty games in a season without a pass ball was Johnny Bench Johnny Bench nineteen seventy five. So I just think it's great when a pitcher knows my catcher is going to catch the ball. That is a really cool thing. Dylan Dingler is a really good player. But cal Raley, of course, is having an MVP that season. It's been amazing. Okay, show hey Otani. Jeff the other day struck out four times in the game in which he pitched against the Phillies. So I got a kick out of this that the last time a pitcher struck out four times in a postseason game, because again, pitchers no batten postseason anymore, and with d batten postseason a lot. The last time a pitcher won got a win in the game and struck out four times was of course a real pitcher, Jerry Royce in nineteen eighty one, and it was show hey Otani. This time it was struck out for it, And he's a pitcher, but you know, he's really not a pitcher. He's both, he's everything. It's I just found that interesting. Do you find that interesting? Well?
Speaker 1: I think, first of all, it's amazing how many people in Philadelphia were so hyped to see him striking out so much. And that was probably the only positive they took from Game one was that Stani struck out four times in the game after they blew that lead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be careful what you wish for there, Jeff Okay. A couple things from the regular season Jeff Byron Buckston and the Twins did not ground into a double play this year, and he can really run, but you know he also it's the ball in the air. A lot strikes out a lot. There aren't a whole lot of ground balls put in play. So I went back to nineteen fifty five. You know, Buxton did it in five hundred and forty two played appearances. I went back to nineteen fifty five. Only five other guys have ever in that time have batted five hundred and forty two times in a season without grounding into a double play. And the record is Craig Bigio in nineteen ninety seven had seven hundred and forty four played appearances without grounding into a double play. And that's such a valuable thing, Jeff, because you see six four threes all the time. Also, Lawrence Butler of the A's did not get hit by a pitch this year, six hundred and thirty plate appearances. No hit batters, you know, as I've told you before. You know Mark Lemke batted over three thousand times in the major leagues and never got hit by a pitch. He's switch hitters. That makes it a little bit, and he's a tough little guy who didn't mind getting hit by a pitch. Just never happened. But the last guy to bat as many times as Lawrence Butler did this year without getting hit by a pitch with David Fletcher six hundred and fifty three plate appearances in twenty nineteen, So it's been six years since anyone had this many plate appearances and didn't get hit by a pitch. And we've been over this, you know. Mickey Mannle got hit by a pitch thirteen times in his entire career, like Tony Gwynn got hit twenty four times in his entire John Cruck got hit twice in his entire career. These things are really really weird, all right, Jeff. Since we have a father son podcast here, I got a kick out of this. So Vlad Guerrero hit a home run the other night and became the sixth father son combo to hit a home run in a postseason game. So the others are the fielders, Prince and Cecil, Bob Boone and Aaron Boone, Bob Boone and Brett Boone, Eddie and Tony Perez, Eduardo and Tony Perez, and Julian and Stan Jabber are the other ones. So I brought this up because we were in the Yankee Clubhouse talking to Aaron Boone, and I brought this up that the Guerreros became the sixth father son combination to hit a home run in a postseason game. And two of the combos were involved in it were in the room. I mean, Booney was there and Eduardo was there. I got such a charge out of that because that whole series, you know, we've got We've got the Perezes and the Boons and the Guerreros and Gary Varshow's son, Dalton Varshow had four extra base hits in Game two of the series. So so that that leads us, Jeff, to our team Tim. Now we've done something similar to this, but I wanted to find the all Team Tim in which fathers and sons played in the major leagues but they had to play the same position. This is a little bit different, okay, and that's not so easy to do because Yogi Bearra's sons played in the major leagues, but they weren't catchers, you see what I mean? Right, all right, So my catchers are Fred and Jason Kendall. Okay, Jason Kendall was really good. His dad was a tough guy too. At first Basement or Prince and Cecil fielder. And let's see how good your memory is.
Speaker 1: Jeff finished their career with the same amount of home runs.
Speaker 2: Three hundred and nineteen. Jeff, Seriously, what are the chances, What are the chances of that happening?
Speaker 1: It's impossible, right, it's too I mean, big, big shout out to Sarah Langs on that one. That's like her favorite one of all time.
Speaker 2: Well, that's been my favorite one for years, but Sarah went went way beyond that, and it's unbelievable. The other similarities of you know, Homers on the road, Homers at home. I mean, they were like all the same. It was incredible. Yeah, second base is Sandy Alomar Senior and Roberto Alomar Hall of Famer. Of course, third base was hard because I couldn't. I wanted to use Tony Perez and at Wardo Perez, both of whom played third base in the major leagues. But I'm going with Buddy Bell and David Bell because both of them played more games at third base together than at Wardo and Tony Perez. And I veered a little bit at shortstop, Jeff, because I went instead of a father son combination and there were several of them to play shortstop. I picked Don and Gray Kessinger, who are a grandfather and grandson who played shortstop in the major leagues. That's pretty cool, don't you think.
Speaker 1: That's pretty neat good, nice little switch out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Gray Kessinger, who's a great defensive shortstop but has trouble staying in the big leagues because he's not a particularly good offensive player. He told me that with his grandfather, Don, who was a really good shortstop for a long time for the Cubs. He said, wherever, whenever we went anywhere as a you know, as a little leaguer or a teenager or whatever, he said, the rules were in the car, no radio, no cell phone, and Don Kessinger, the grandfather, would look at Gray and say okay, and they would talk baseball the whole time. And this is how the discussions went. You know, okay, first and third, you're playing shortstop, right handed, hitter up. You know scores this there's only one at Paul's hit to your left. What are you doing? You know? This is how Greg Kessinger learned how to play the game because his grandfather was quizzing him all the way through. And what a cool thing. I mean, this happened in our house all the time. My father, your grandfather Pop. He did this all the time with Uncle Matt, Uncle Annie and me, and it was really helpful. Because he gave us a feel for the game by talking about it all the time.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny, Dad, that you brought that up is recently Emily and I were talking about how good and this is a compliment to myself, but I'll get to the point of it, how good I am at mental mouth math, how quickly I can add things up in my head, very very quickly, pretty simple math. I can do it right. And it reminded me, and she said, how is that because I wasn't like this excellent math student I got a grandfather is a PhD in mathematics. But I mean I didn't really get that math bug. Clearly, with what I chose to do with my career, I'm more musically minded. But I remember, Dad, Remember when you would take out of your cup all of the change you would have, and you would take your hand and you'd open it up and you'd have a bunch of coins in their pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and then you take it right back and we would have to look at it, and if we came within like a nickel, you would give us the change. You remember doing that?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, I did it all the time.
Speaker 1: I really think that like contributed to my ability to quickly add up and quickly mentally. I mean, were you doing that on purpose or like, did you think it would help my math or were you just goofing around?
Speaker 2: Well we were just goofing around. But who knows. You If you can look at something and figure out what it is add it in your head quickly, that's a skill. I think now that you're buying a new house, I may have to put like a bunch of one hundred dollars bills in a cup, and if you can get within a hundred, I'll give it to you because you're gonna need all the help you can get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dad, we are. We don't have a fence or a day so we have a lot of things we have to contribute to the house.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well you can have one of our decks if you want it. You just have to transport it.
Speaker 1: Well, your deck was was falling apart for a little bit, so maybe I know you got it fixed, but I don't know if I need it anymore.
Speaker 2: All right, So, Jeff, we got outfields for the father saying, now, I'm not going to give you any clues. Who is the greatest father son? Combination. Ever, when it comes to Griffy, no, they're the second fild Well.
Speaker 1: The Bonds Bonds, so the.
Speaker 2: Bondses and the Griffies are obviously our two outfielders, and then the eluse the eluse Mois's and Felipe were third JEP. That was very good. So many options, but I went with these. And my pitcher is Mel Stottemeyer, who was really really good for the Yankees, mostly in the sixties, and he had two sons that pitched in the major leagues, Mel Junior and Todd Stottemeyer. So I chose there were a bunch of choices at pitcher, but since Melstottemeyer had two sons who also pitched, I made him the pitcher on the All team.
Speaker 1: Tim what's on this state in baseball history? October the seventh, Yeah, on this date.
Speaker 2: In two thousand and one, Ricky Henderson got hit number three thousand, and I remember talking to Ricky once and he said, what is the one number that I had that you think surprises most people? And I think most people would And he said he always thought it was three thousand hits because Ricky walked so many times, much like Ted Williams and Lou Garrig and a bunch of Babe Ruth. They didn't end up with three thousand hits because they were walking all the time, and Ricky walked all the time. And Barry Bonds not three thousand hits either, but Ricky got three thousand hits. And on that day it was the last day of the season, and it was Tony Gwinn's last major league game, and Tony Gwynn welcomed Ricky Henderson at home plate after hit number three thousand to say, like, welcome to the club. Because Tony Gwynn had three thousand hits, he was great. All right, we have a birthday, Jeff. And if you get this, I am not kidding, I will do the down payment for your house. Okay. Butch Henry was born on this date in nineteen sixty eight. If you can tell me the odd arcane statistic about Butch Henry, which I have used on this podcast this year, I will put down a down payment on your house. Okay.
Speaker 1: So I remember Butch Henry. He played for the Expos, right.
Speaker 2: I'm astonished that you knew that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he didn't pitch for very long. Jeff. Now don't get him mixed up with Butch Patrick who played Eddie Munster on that Monsters right who.
Speaker 1: By the way, anyway, I think I know.
Speaker 2: I hope you don't because I'm not paying for your downpay. Okay, who is it?
Speaker 1: You picture? Who hit? He hit a home run for the very first hit of his career, right?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Did he hit it inside the park? Home run to win a game? Oh, at the first hit of his career.
Speaker 2: No? Oh, but he hit one homer in his whole career. That's and it was inside the park homer. Isn't that cool? I mean, it's one thing. If you're a position player you have one homer and it's inside the park, that's unusual when you're a pitcher. Jeff, I'm going to give this to you. I'm going to send you. How much does a house cost? I'll send I'll send the down payment. What's it? What do you need? A couple hundred bucks? Is that what you need?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple of hundred had a couple of zeros. Yeah, we're we're gonna be houseport for a little while. But we're doing it. We're doing it so family can come visit us more often. So that's how you can pay me back?
Speaker 2: All right, Jeff. After the podcast, we're going to talk houses. I'm so proud of your way to go. You did it, and you're you've grown up so fast. It's so so good. Evan Longoria was born on this date in nineteen eighty five. He was on wasn't on the podcast, but we featured him in what team Tim? Did we feature him? Or best of all? Tim?
Speaker 1: I can't remember, Oh, best of all?
Speaker 2: Best of all Tim? Jeff, Oh, the best raise player, best raised player ever? And I still got a kick out of this. He told me. His story was, I shouldn't get this big of a kick out of it. You know, when you put your credit card down for something and it doesn't print your entire name, It just prints the first three letters of your name sometimes, so he's Evan Longoria, but when you only print the first three letters, he becomes ev Longoria, famous actress. So he went to like a play or something once and somehow the seating chart got out, and he said that all sorts of people were coming by his seats thinking that ever is seeming there when it was Evan Longoria. So he kind of had to tell look, sorry, I disappointed you. I'm not her dad.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you this. When I was in college, there was a like the way they would take rolls sometimes or on a list of like what class you were going to be in, it would give the first four letters of your last name and then your initial. Well, people knew at Syracuse that I was the son of a ESBN broadcaster because of broadcast school, and everybody talks and blah blah blah blah blah. Well they go, oh my gosh, it looks like John Cruk's son is in our class, because it was Kirk J. But in a quick reading, they thought it was Kruk Jay.
Speaker 2: Funny.
Speaker 1: It's kind of funny, right, yeah, But as soon as they saw me, they knew I was not related to John Cruk.
Speaker 2: So I'll tell the quick Krooky story. Crooky told Crooky when I did the bus tour with him, which means I spent a lot of time with him. He he says to me on the bus tour, like every cent, every question, every sentence with John Cruk always begins with did I ever tell you about the time? Right ellipses? And I've never heard these stories before. They're all amazing, So he said, did I ever tell you about the time I shot a deer in the hot tub? That was the question he asked me. And with krooky, with krooky, you have to ask him crooky, were you in the hot tub? Was the deer in the hot tub? Or were both of you in the heart now? And he said, he said, no, I was in the hot tub alone, he said, And I had my he said, I'm senior in high school. I got my shotgun. It's leaning up against the hot tub. And he pauses and looks at me as if he now expects me to say, yeah, Krusky, that's where I keep my shotgun. So, as an eighteen year old in West Virginia, he stood up buck naked and shot a deer in the woods and sat back.
Speaker 1: Was John Cruck buck naked? Or was the buck buck naked?
Speaker 2: Right? And what is it? Jeff?
Speaker 1: Is it's the buck naked?
Speaker 2: Is it but? Or is it butt or buck? I'm a writer. I'm not sure I know the difference between the two butt naked. It's got to be butt, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's actually both can be used, actually, and I'm googling it right now. While both buck naked and butt naked used to describe somebody as fully nude, Buck naked as older of the pair. So I mean, I feel like just over time people have said it incorrectly. It's probably buck naked for a long time, and then it just kind of became butt naked as well.
Speaker 2: Well. That's how Buck Showalder got his name. You know, he in Mississippi State used to walk around before games. He got to the ballpark allful early and sometimes walked around without his clothes on. That's how he got his nickname.
Speaker 1: What least s he became Buck?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, flash name is Nathan Yes, all right. Last one Jeff nineteen ninety two, Mookie Beds, who's active in the playoffs, was born. And Mookie has really become a way above average shortstop, which we weren't sure he was going to do that, but the amazing athleticism and as we know, the last time I talked to MOOKI about this was several years ago. But he had nine perfect games in bowling, Jeff nine. But what I took from that was he told me after I pulled it out of him, he never had a tenth game where he was one strike away from a perfect game, and then didn't make a strike. In other words, he had nine opportunities to get a perfect game, and he completed all nine. Like you would have or me or anyone else would be one ball away from a perfect game and throw it in the gutter because we would have paniced so much. Of course, when's the last time you went bowling, Jeff, Oh, gosh.
Speaker 1: I went bowling with my buddy Kyle a little while ago in Charlotte, spend a long time. My best score ever was a two fifteen. It was a pretty good score. I was in high school.
Speaker 2: That is really good, and I don't count it.
Speaker 1: And I know you're gonna you're gonna say, like, count it, But we were people had left right, so it was we were kind of rolling two lanes, just a couple of us. So I would roll in one lane and then roll on another lane like whenever I was up on both of them, so I wasn't really Yes, my score on one lane was two fifteen, no doubt about it, not lying, but I was kind of getting warm up throws and messing around. I think I shot like a one ten on the other side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not an easy game, and you've done duckpin too.
Speaker 1: Your pins fun, right, it's a good time. It's more of a Kirkshin sport. I would say it's much.
Speaker 2: Easier for us little guys. Yeah. I once went bowling with my friend Randy Youngman years and years ago on the beat, and he was a big, strong guy and he used to bowl overhand when we when we played with duckpins. He was because he threw it so hard it was unbelievable. Okay, that's all this state and baseball history. Well, Dad, this was an awesome episode. We apologize we went a little long, but we had some catching up to do.
Speaker 1: You're in the Bronx, You're in New York, Dad. You can listen to him on the call with Eduardo Perez and Carl Ravich. Big shout out to that great team.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: I was listening to the broadcast respectfully with the TV on mute, and I timed it perfectly so I could listen to you guys and watch the game. And I heard you tell your great joke. Hey, there's a great restaurant around here. I love it so much. Last time I was there, though, I dropped my tray.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there was food everywhere. I love that. Jeb Well, I think that I think that was an AI joke instead. Job. Oh good, I know what AI is.
Speaker 1: All right, Dad? Well, thank you so much to everybody listening. Make sure to hit subscribe and follow Caleb Joseph on the pod tomorrow and then another episode Eater Thursday or Friday this week, depending on how our series shakeout, but we'll be back. Thank you for listening, and as always, thanks for being a part of our family. Mm hmm