Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: During the time my Terse was missing, a search party organized by doctor Ronda Hampton discovered a mural in a culvert high above Montanito on the cement around two large tunnels. Someone had painted a series of naked black women in various degrading and bizarre poses. This is doctor Hampton describing the scene in a video made by documentarian Chip Croft.
Speaker 3: This culvert area here is where there was the images that were taken by the searchers of approximately thirteen African American women with afros who were nude in very thick, sexually provocative positions.
Speaker 2: One was hula hooping, one was spread eagle, one was doing a handspring, one was climbing out of a vagina. Another was in a wheelchair giving a thumbs up. At the center, there was a man's face with crazed eyes and a mop of curly red hair.
Speaker 3: Along the concrete here were wordings indicating entering afro Land or something similar to that. Over the side here it said afro hose h o e s so afro hose. There were some other writings on.
Speaker 2: One of the figures really caught doctor Hampton's eye.
Speaker 3: One of the images was of a woman who was painted blue, kneeling on all fours on our Botox area. She had a simple the letters L A, and she had a marijuana joint out of her mouth. That's what makes us think that it's possibly that the person's trying to talk about my trees in terms of the fact that she was from LA, that she was accused of having marijuana.
Speaker 2: To my Teresa's friends and family, this mural was tantamount to a confession, a narrative depiction of her abduction, rape, torture and murder. According to my Teresa's mother, Latiste Sutton. There was even a forensic psychologist who wrote up a report about it unsolicited, saying it was a quote unquote sick trophy, the killer's calling card. But the day after it was discovered, when doctor Hampton went to see it for herself, it was already gone. She found that suspicious. Here she is again at the scene this immage.
Speaker 3: Yesterday was painted with the mural, which is what we're calling it, and here today the city has quickly come by and painted it over.
Speaker 2: There was nothing to see but a swath of babs paint, the kind used by the Graffiti Task Force. Law enforcement questioned the artist. It turned out he didn't know anything about my trees. This was just his thing, painting naked black women with afros in sexually explicit positions. He sent doctor Hampton an email telling her he was sorry for her loss. I knew the mural didn't have a direct connection to my trees, but still it was so unbelievably eerie and compelling, like a real of found footage explaining the total mystery of what had happened to my trees. So Haley and I figured we should see the spot and understand its proximity to the neighborhood and to Dark Canyon, where my Teres's remains were found. We met in Montanito and drove way up into the mountains. We parked on a narrow shoulder and got out. The covert ran underneath the road, so it wasn't visible till you went down below start level. I think we were expecting to see the beige government paint. We were seriously surprised.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's some weird graffiti here right now.
Speaker 2: Does not look like a it's like a similar style.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I just got all the hairs on my arms.
Speaker 2: Set up on the main panel above the culverts tunnels. Someone had painted a new mural. It was nowhere near as elaborate as the original, but it did seem to share some basic DNA, Like that caricature over on the left looks similar to the and the yellow one too.
Speaker 3: The green one, well, that's creepy as fuck.
Speaker 2: I poked my head into one of the tunnels.
Speaker 1: How much do I not want to go in there?
Speaker 2: Well, then over on the right, I noticed something really weird.
Speaker 1: Look at this help.
Speaker 2: It's the same like creepy orange chair. It was a face outlined in orange with curly orange chair and crazy eyes next to the word help. Then there's another face, and it looks like there might be like a marijuana leaf in the middle of it.
Speaker 5: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: I want to go home?
Speaker 2: The original mural turned out to be a red herring, and this was just a copycat. So why did I feel a mounting sense of dread? I think it's because I was starting to see how easy it is to get turned around in these mountains, to be misled by seeming clues that don't solve anything. And I'm guessing that's pretty much what my Teresa's friends and family were feeling when the first mural was discovered and debunked. They still didn't know what had happened to my Trees. They were desperate to find her or find out, but they couldn't distinguish what might be crucial information that could lead them to an answer from what was spinning them blindfolded in circles. I'm Dana Goodyear and this is Lost Hills, episode five, So close. Throughout the fall of two thousand and nine, Teresa's case was all over the news, and the pressure on the Sheriff's department to explain their decision to release her without a safe ride home was intense. Here's a report from NBCLA.
Speaker 6: Among all the swirling questions in this case, one thing is certain. My Terce Richardson was lasting leaving this substation a week ago.
Speaker 7: She was not intoxicated, she was not disoriented. The La County Sheriff's Department did not only everything procedurally correct, but was morally right.
Speaker 6: The Sheriff's department says they'll launched another expansive search, a hunt for clues as authorities try to figure out how a beautiful young woman could simply vanish into the night outside a sheriff's station.
Speaker 2: The Sheriff's Department had arrested and released my Terse on the assumption that she was not gravely disabled or a danger to herself or others. Now that she was missing, they were at pains to explain why, if she was perfectly fine, she had not returned to her family. This is a recording that documentarian Chip Croft made of a press conference outside Lost Hills station three weeks after my Teresa's disappearance.
Speaker 7: Steve Whitmore, Sheriff's department spokesman. Now, the important thing that I want to say, and I've said since the beginning, is we want to find my Terce Richardson. That's all we want to do. We want to find her.
Speaker 2: At the station, he said, my Teres gave no indication of needing psychiatric help.
Speaker 7: She exhibited no signs of incapacitation whatsoever, no mental challenges, not she was not under the influence. We gave her an extensive field sobriety test, where the eyes are checked, where the pulse is checked, where this language is checked, where a person's physical abilities are checked.
Speaker 2: The jailer, he said, had offered my Teresa bed in an unlocked cell and also told her she was free to wait in the lobby for a ride.
Speaker 7: And when she came here, the jailer was an African American jailer, by the way, a woman who had been a jailer for fourteen years with the La County Sheriff's Department. Talked to a great length visited where they talked about music. Jazz, she liked, gospel, she didn't. There was a lucid conversation that jailer said, why don't you stay?
Speaker 2: A quick aside, A very senior member of the Detective Division, now retired, told me that one of the Sheriff's Department's biggest mistakes in the whole my Terce Richardson episode, was that they didn't ask the Lost Hills jailer, Sharon Cummings, a black woman, to explain to the public why she'd been released. I wondered what Cummings would have said. She's also retired now, so I called her. The minute I said my Terce Richardson, she hung up the phone. At the press conference, Steve Whitmore, the Sheriff's department spokesman, continued to defend the decision to let my teres leave.
Speaker 7: This is a twenty four year old adult who is fully coggon, sent of her surroundings, and coherent to said extent. If we hold them against their will, it's called overt detention. You can't do that in America.
Speaker 2: But reporters pressed, didn't the lost Hill's deputies have some responsibility to help her? Shouldn't she have been driven back to her.
Speaker 7: Car if she had asked?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 7: But let me that's an interesting question. We did that before. We've been asked to do that, and we've done it, and then we've been disciplined for doing it back exactly. Oh, yes, we've been people. If if it's late at night, if the situation warns it, not only a malleable, but any station, there's some especially in some stations where like Century, where there may be some danger. And I mean real danger. I mean you know, real danger. Now that doesn't say there's no danger here.
Speaker 2: It makes sense the Sheriff's department didn't want to dwell on my Teresa's mental state. It might expose them to liability.
Speaker 1: Soon.
Speaker 2: My Teresa's family sue the county for negligence, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and wrongful death. That claim ended in a nine hundred thousand dollars settlement for the family, but for the LAPD, the lead agency tasked with finding her. My Teresa's mental health was becoming an important investigative angle. Not long after my Teresa's disappearance, detectives reached out to Hannah Parks, the woman she'd fallen for in the summer of two thousand and nine. She knew my Terse was missing and was waiting anxiously for her to get in touch.
Speaker 5: In the back of my mind, I kept thinking, maybe she'll pop up, Like I thought, maybe she would just come to my house. I was waiting for her to kind of like reach out. I thought it was weird that she wasn't texting or calling, but then of course she didn't have her phone. But for me, in the back of my mind, of course, I was concerned because I knew the mental states she was in. But I was like, she'll come over, Like she'll she'll pop up.
Speaker 2: She was startled to get a call from LAPD Robbery Homicide.
Speaker 5: They said, hey, we need to meet with you about the disappearance of my Terce Richardson, and we're on our way right now, and I'm like, I'm at work, and they're like, we don't care.
Speaker 2: Hannah called her mom and together they went to meet the detectives at a Starbucks.
Speaker 5: They just asked me a bunch of questions about how I knew her, our relationship, things like that, and I asked them why why la homicide? Like why homicide? Because she's just missing, right, so shouldn't this be like missing persons?
Speaker 2: At first, Hannah felt like she might be a suspect.
Speaker 5: Then once they started talking to me more, I think they very quickly reed like I wasn't I didn't have anything to do with it. Then they started trying to just get more information out of me regarding my trees.
Speaker 2: Really, the detectives asked Hannah if they could look around her home.
Speaker 5: They ended up following me back to my apartment, and I gave them like everything I had of my terces. So there was a couple journals, some clothes, and just a few little things like I didn't have that much, but I gave them everything of hers that was at the house.
Speaker 2: Detectives also searched my Teresa's car at the tow yard in Malibu and recovered a black purse containing several more journals. According to her father, They also found her wallet underneath the seat. It contained a bank card connected to an account with plenty of money in it. The journals were handed over to Detective Chuck Knowles, one of the LAPD robbery homicide detectives who'd been assigned to take over what was still officially a missing person's case. Knowles had the journals analyzed by an LAPD psychologist who saw indications of severe bipolar disorder from my Teresa's phone records. They determined that she had not slept for five days by the time she arrived at Jeoffrey's. Knowles now understood how acute my Teresa's mental illness was at the time of her disappearance. It was the very recognition her friends and family had hoped for to add urgency to the search, but it had an unintended effect, because now the LAPD appeared to view her illness and erratic behavior as a likely explanation for the fact that she couldn't be found. My Teres might have committed suicide or succumbed to the elements, or, as Detective Knowles told the La Times, she could have quote gotten herself into a comfortable relationship outside of her immediate friends and family. In other words. The cops were implying my Teres had made herself disappear. One of the central mysteries of my Teresa's case is how she got from Lost Hill Station to Montanito, six miles in the dark. Law enforcement checked with local taxi companies. There was no record of her leaving Lost Hill Station. She would have, in all likelihood walked east on a Gurra road. In about a mile. She would have hit Las Virgines Road to the left, past the McDonald's and a couple of gas stations. Is the one O one freeway.
Speaker 1: To the right.
Speaker 2: The road takes you through Malibu Canyon to Montanito. If you keep going you hit Pacific Coast Highway and the ocean. Was she trying to get back to her car? And had she really gone all that way on foot? As soon as my Trees went missing, her inner circle began demanding documentation of her arrest and detention. More than anything, they wanted to see the video footage of my Trees leaving Lost Hill Station. They wanted to see which way she walked, or if someone who had yet to come forward had picked her up. They were hoping for a clue, but they were told there was no videotape, at least that's what they were told at first.
Speaker 3: That story changes. So originally okay, So originally we were told there were no front.
Speaker 2: Cameras, Doctor ron Dehampton.
Speaker 3: Again, every weekend, we were doing a search somewhere in some way, right, and so we kept coming back to how do we know that we're going in the right directions? So we were asking about the video so that we can see which way she walked when she out the front door. And then they just denied that there was ever the existence of a video.
Speaker 2: When they presented the Sheriff's Department with a picture of the camera at the front of Lost Hill Station, the story shifted.
Speaker 3: We were told, oh, there are cameras, but it's recorded over.
Speaker 2: And then the story shifted again.
Speaker 3: And then the next one was it's live and so we don't record that.
Speaker 2: All three of those, the evolving answer did nothing to satisfy my Teresa's friends and family and did everything to convince them that the Sheriff's Department was hiding information to throw them off on purpose. Eventually, doctor Hampton says she asked about the video in a meeting with Tom Martin, who was the captain at Lost Hills Station when my Terse went missing.
Speaker 3: And then Tom Martin admitted at that point that he had the video, that he had had it, and that it was in his desk.
Speaker 2: So there was a video, and this whole time it was at the station, in the captain's desk.
Speaker 3: I mean, we were. It was pretty heated because it was like, wait, you lied all this time and said that there wasn't a video, you know, like, why would you hide it? He never answered that question.
Speaker 2: The impression that the Sheriff's Department was lying only deepened when my Teresa's friends and family actually got to see the video. It was screened for them with a homicide detective named Lieutenant Mike Rawson who was assisting on the case. It showed my Teres inside Lost Hill Station, and, contrary to what the Sheriff's spokesman had claimed, she did seem to be acting erratic.
Speaker 3: From what I recall seeing on the video. She's placed in the cell with another woman, and she interacts with that woman a bit, and she's pacing back and forth, and eventually the woman leaves, and so she's there by herself, and she goes up to the phone. She picks up the phone several times. She picks up the phone, puts it down, picks it up, puts it down. She starts swinging on the side of so like the door and the jail has like a bar on it kind of, and so she starts swinging. You know how kids you'll see them kind of doing it in like when they're in a crib. It's kind of doing that. And then my teres is kind of sitting or laying like in fetal position on this like concrete bench.
Speaker 2: When it got to the part of the video where My Rise was about to be released, doctor Hampton watched attentively. This was the moment she'd been most focused on where she might get to see which way my terse went or if someone had picked her up.
Speaker 3: They're collecting her and say they gave her this, like it's like a clear baggie, right, and it has like her belt in and her hat's in it. There's some other paperwork in there, and then she's putting on her putting on her items, and then they walk her out. Sharon comings, the jailer walks her out of the side door, and so when she opens that door, it's pitch dark, so that when they both exit together. After that, all you see is darkness and then the screen goes black. Right at that point when the screen went black, we kind of thought the video was over.
Speaker 2: But the tape was still rolling showing the darkened exterior of the station.
Speaker 3: So the guy who was showing us the film, I was sitting to his right, and so even though the screen was black, he looks over at me and he like nods his head like he's trying to get me to look at something, so I, you know, I just kind of look up. And then Jonathan also looked up my Teresa's cousin and he says, who's that because even though the screen was black at some point, So two minutes pass, but Sharon Cummins comes back and opens her door, and then at the same time, the deputy a deputy leaves. Like as soon as that door shut, the deputy leaves.
Speaker 2: They hadn't known that a deputy had left the station shortly after my trees. It seemed like the answer they'd been looking for.
Speaker 3: So they were like, wait a minute, who was that? Who was leaving? I can tell that Lieutenant Rawson was very surprised that that there was more footage on that video. Because his face turned absolutely beat red.
Speaker 2: The Sheriff's Department claims that all the deputies working that night were accounted for, and a report from the Office of Independent Review, a civilian oversight group, concluded that deputies had acted lawfully in my Trees's arrest and release. Still, over the years, many people have speculated that a deputy from Lost Hills might have picked up my Teres, assaulted her, killed her, and dumped her body, or that a deputy may have picked her up and assaulted her, causing her to flee into Montanito, where she died. There is no evidence to support either scenario, but it doesn't seem to matter. The Sheriff's Department's consistent impulse to shield themselves from blame made everything they did look like a cover up. Here's Michael, my Teresa's dad. This is from the first time I met him almost five years ago, at an event being held on the ten year anniversary of my Teresa's disappearance. He was firm in his belief that my Teresa's death was an inside.
Speaker 1: Job, so it was a cover up.
Speaker 8: From the time my Terce was released all the way up and still to now to this day, is still a cover up, and even though you know, let's say, how can you one hundred percent surely say it was a sheriff that did so to my trees? Well, it's very easy at this point in time. I'm not gonna lie about something that I didn't do. If I didn't do it, here's all the information. And ironically, the same thing that the shares expect for you to do as a witness. If you don't do it, you get arrested for it. So like saying, withholding evidence such as the tape of a crime, guess who's going to jail the person withholding And none of them went at jail.
Speaker 2: With the help of doctor Hampton, Mitteresa's family asked then California Attorney General Kamala Harris to open a criminal investigation into the conduct of sheriff's deputies, including Captain Tom Martin, for his possession of the videotape. In a twenty sixteen report, Harris's office found, quote, it is entirely doubtful that Martin can be successfully prosecuted for concealment of evidence. The tape was preserved and its contents eventually produced. In the course of our reporting, we heard of two more irregularities from very different ends of the spectrum regarding deputies and my Trees at the time of her release. The first was from Chermaine Henderson, my Terce's cellmate at Lost Hills. She said she was uncomfortable with the way my Trese was released, even though they were no longer in the same cell. She could tell that my Teres was leaving the station without a ride after midnight. That seemed wrong to her.
Speaker 1: I guess they sighted her out.
Speaker 9: But when you cite someone out, you still don't let them leave, and so they have a way to get somewhere. I mean, they can call a calf on their own, you know, something like that, you know, because it's in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 2: But what she heard next actually gave her the creeps.
Speaker 1: What I was hearing like they were saying they would drop her off.
Speaker 2: One of the deputies, she said, offered to give my Terse a ride.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, one of deputies. That was a male deputy.
Speaker 2: Did you think that was weird or inappropriate that he had offered to give her a ride?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I think it was.
Speaker 9: When you release your release and you're gone, it is like they won't cares that you arrived.
Speaker 1: No, no, you released that rise. That's not the job.
Speaker 2: Take it with a grain of salt, because it's just a snippet of a story from someone whose memory is, by her own admission, unreliable, and I have seen no documentation to support it. The second thing we heard about my trees and cops and cars came from a very different source. Doctor Lisa Shyman, the forensic pathologist who conducted the autopsy. She worked closely with law enforcement as part of her job. She was sympathetic to the bind that the deputies were in when they believed they were legally obligated to release my trees, and she wanted to go, and they were very nervous about letting her go because they knew she had nothing.
Speaker 4: It was dark out, and they knew it was remote. But if she said no, they couldn't force her to stay, so they had to let her go.
Speaker 2: She vaguely recalls hearing that deputies were so concerned that they decided to go out of their way for her.
Speaker 4: I believe somebody said they actually followed her after she left a bit from a distance with a car, just to see that she was okay, And eventually they veered off, but they were actually quite concerned about her.
Speaker 2: If any of this is true, then all of these deputies and anyone they spoke to about it conspired to stay silent when the disappearance of My Trees became a nationwide scandal, and no one from law enforcement has ever come forward with any information about this. Intriguing as these fragments are, they don't lead anywhere, and they detract from what I think is the deeper truth. Had My Trees been given a ride from the station, she would likely still be alive. In January twenty ten, when My Trees had been missing for four months, authorities launched one of the largest searches in Los Angeles history. There were more than three hundred people, more than sixty horses, dogs, ATVs, bikes, and air support. They searched from Calabasas to Pacific Coast Highway, including all throughout Malibu Creek State Park and the Backbone Trail. Here's Sergeant twey Wright of Malibu Search and Rescue.
Speaker 10: I can tell you that it was a huge undertaking and it was pretty much unprecedented. I've never done a search with four hundred personnel before that or since then.
Speaker 2: By now, investigators had a clear understanding of my Teresa's mental state. They focused the January search on the area's below cliffs and dams and rock faces, thinking that my Trees, in her distress, might have jumped. Law enforcement had pledged to search every inch of the area, and there were trails near the Smith's house where my Trees was last seen, connecting to Dark Canyon, the treacherous steep, poison oak infested canyon that yawns above Montanito. It seemed unlikely that someone just trying to get back to her car would have gone in there, but maybe a person in the midst of a bipolar episode would, maybe a suicidal person would. Sergeant Wright ordered it to be searched. Back in the early two thousands, when Sergeant Wright was a narcotics detective, he'd learned about an illegal marijuana growing operation in Dark Canyon.
Speaker 10: So having that in the back of my mind when we're doing the matri search, I wanted to make sure what we call a sworn team in other words, an armed team with armed peace officers, was that it was a sign to search Dark Canyon.
Speaker 2: They were carrying some rudimentary GPS devices partly reliant on cell service. They were supposed to be able to track where each deputy had walked. The cell service in Montanito is spotty even today. Back then it was very limited, and in Dark Canyon it was pretty much non existent.
Speaker 10: They didn't work. We had no way of telling exactly how far searchers went up Dark Canyon.
Speaker 2: He also tried using drones, a new technology at the time.
Speaker 10: It was from a experimental drone. The program was out of I believe it was Sand Diego University down there. I would call this drone pretty rudimentary by today's standards. And what I mean by that it was a sort of what I would call a bat wing drone. You had to turn it on and throw it and it would take flight.
Speaker 2: They searched the bottom of Dark Canyon, but didn't get very far. The operators were afraid of losing their drone. It's these searches of Dark Canyon that fill Sergeant right with regret to this day. Knowing what he knows now, he told me he would have pushed the team to focus on Dark Canyon from the beginning and search its full extent.
Speaker 10: It was so obvious in hindsight, it was one of the darkest deepest canyons right there, and in hindsight, obviously we didn't go deep enough soon enough. I mean, it was so Closegeant.
Speaker 2: It's been retired since twenty nineteen, but the Mitrice Richardson case has continued to bother him. He wishes, of course, he'd found her alive, or even found her body sooner, when her remains could have told a more complete story. And I think all of that is why he decided to do something no one else in law enforcement has been willing to do. Help us figure out what happened to her, But that came a little later. At first, he just helped us understand what it had been like when my rise was missing. As the months passed, it was clear to authorities they were no longer searching for a lost person. They were searching for remains, possibly a skeleton. Finding bones is actually fairly common in Malibu because of all the wildlife. Here's Sergeant right.
Speaker 10: People see bones when they're hiking on trails, and they also see him on the side of the road. The Ticku Lilean turnouts. We might have an area where you could park a car and maybe look over at a beautiful view of the ocean or something. People are standing there and then they see bones and or they smell a dead smell.
Speaker 2: But everyone in Malibu was on high alert, and so were the authorities. They were looking for a high profile missing person. Those bones could be hers.
Speaker 10: During the time of the Matrese investigation, we never ignored any of those. We went out on each and everyone, and we were thorough and would investigate. And I do recall some of those where people reported the smell of something dead. I remember when we sent a team out and they went out and they looked, and they smelled something, and they looked and they basically found the remains of a dead coyote.
Speaker 2: Law enforcement records show that on June tenth and twelfth, twenty ten, two months before my Teresa's remains were found, Malibu Search and Rescue conducted two operations in response to reports of bones in the area.
Speaker 10: I do recall a tip came into the Detective Bureau and there was some talk of a rib cage was observed by somebody who was at a particular location off of Payuma where they described a fort like a tree fort.
Speaker 2: Sergeant Wright assembled a team, including his tracker and a cadaver dog.
Speaker 10: We went out there and a couple of different vehicles. We took at least one rifle with us, and maybe even a shotgun because it sounded suspicious.
Speaker 2: The location was in the wilderness off Payuma Road, about a mile up the mountain from the smith's house in Montenito, close to the Backbone.
Speaker 10: Trail, and we went in and eventually we found what could be described as a fort or in the marijuana investigation days, we would call it a hooch, which is a term basically from Vietnam of a tent type outpost in thick jungle. So that's what we found. We spread out and approached it, and I could see that it was made from camouflage tarps that had wrapped around several trees, including a real big tree, and it had a roof, and it had a doorway area, and we went in and clearly on public land, we went in and cleared it, and there was nobody inside. Inside was sort of a bed area where you could tell somebody could sleep.
Speaker 2: Someone was definitely living there.
Speaker 10: And I do recall one book in particular, it was a the US Army Survival Manual. I saw that in there. I saw on the outside of the outside the fort there was some cubes called grow dan cubes that were consistent with starting marijuana plants, and I actually saw some marijuana growing there, like a couple inches high.
Speaker 2: Hanging from a tree. Outside the fort, they spotted the rib cage. This was the reason they were there because the tipster had thought this rib cage might belong to my Terce Richardson.
Speaker 10: The ribcage was taken as evidence and submitted to the corner to the crime LAMB. If I recall, it turned out to be deer bones.
Speaker 2: Deer bones, still, the fort was potentially significant. The person living there seemed to have a funny habit of collecting items that belonged to various women.
Speaker 10: What I recall on it is I think it was IDs identifications and or ATM cards for a couple of different females.
Speaker 2: But my Teresa's driver's license, which she had on her when she left Lost Hill Station, was not among them, while my trees was missing. Her dad, Michael Richardson, had a wrenching experience. He was in Las Vegas with some friends.
Speaker 8: My friend was driving. I was in the backseat and I was on the window side, So when I looked over to the right, I just seen a girl standing at the light getting ready to walk across the street. Lit looked just like my trees. And I just stopped. The car stopped and they're like what what what? And I just jump out the car and they're like, man, where you going? And cars was stopping almost about to hit me, and they all get out like what what? I said?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 8: I could have sworn I just seeing my daughter standing right here and we would in the alley. Did you just see this girl like that? Nobody saw that person that we were talking about, And I was like, I know, I'm not tripping. I saw that, you know, and I will still stand behind that. But this person that I saw vanished into the thin air, and it was another dead end.
Speaker 2: When he got back to his hotel room, he called the LAPD detectives.
Speaker 8: But I called it and said, man, I think my daughter in Vegas? All right, what makes you think that? Michael? And yeah, all right, well we'll check it out and let you know what we find. And it was like, eh, it was a dead end, Michael. I'm like, I know, I said, okay, Man, maybe it was just me wanting it to be her. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Then someone else thought they saw my terse in Las Vegas. It was a high school friend of hers. This was in June twenty ten. The LAPD took the sighting seatiously and I.
Speaker 8: Mean they all detectives and everybody set up camp and shop down there.
Speaker 2: But today Michael thinks this was a trap, a diversion by law enforcement to keep him out of Malibu so they could discover her remains.
Speaker 8: And they were trying to get us and me falling foid flew to Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: It's a wild theory, fueled by frustration and mistrust and by an unfortunate coincidence. On August ninth, twenty ten, while Michael was in Las Vegas for a press conference about My Trees, some park rangers checking out an old pot grow discovered her skull among the fallen leaves. The site was about a mile from where My treece was last seen on the side of a steep ravine in Dark Canyon, next time on Lost Hills.
Speaker 8: So it is all unfolded like they did a botched up job anyway, by sweeping or remains in a plastic bag, flying it out before the corner got there to make the call, which contaminated the crime scene.
Speaker 2: That's next in episode six, Reconnaissance. Lost Hills is written and hosted by Me Dana Goodyear. It was reported by Me and Haley Fox, our senior producer. The show was created by me and Benadere. Lost Hills is a production of Western Sound and Pushkin Industries. Subscribe to Pushkin Plus and you can binge the whole season right now ad free. Find Pushkin Plus on the Lost Hills show page in Apple Podcasts or at pushkin dot FMS flash Plus