Speaker 1: It's Less and Sophie.
Speaker 2: And this is Gonna Show Me Something podcast with Mary Bomboy checking in Live from the Bracket.
Speaker 1: Come on. Some of the best game day memories don't happen on the court. They happen in hotel lobbies of our pregame meals and in moments before tip off. As the official hotel partner of the NCAAA, Marriott Bonvoy sees it all from breakfast pep talks to fans bonding over shared rituals. Is some moments around the game that become the ones that people remember.
Speaker 2: This March Madness, Live from the Bracket brings those stories to life in a limited podcast series about college hoops, travel and fandom, with special guests and experiences along the way.
Speaker 1: From now until April fifteenth, Marriott Bomboy members will be able to enter our Live from the Bracket sweepstakes for a chance to win a trip to the twenty twenty seven Final four. Follow at show me Pod on Instagram to learn more. No purchase necessary. Eighteen plus in the fifteen United States and DC ins four fifteen twenty six rules, visit rules dot DJA dot com. Slashlight from the Bracket.
Speaker 2: We're taking March Madness, Above and Beyond, and you'll want to stay tuned.
Speaker 3: Married Bonboy, we're game day checks in podcast. Yo, what's going on?
Speaker 1: We're back in Indie and it's not as cold this time, so I'll take it.
Speaker 3: The Big Eye is what people are calling now.
Speaker 1: It's game day for Michigan and Yukon.
Speaker 3: Yukon, who do you have?
Speaker 2: I'm staying in the Michigan Hotel, so I kind of feel.
Speaker 3: Like I like that I gotta do it.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I think like two or three weeks ago, I would have seriously said Yukon would have had it. But now watching Michigan, oh yeah, those are just big boys that are pros. I think I'm going Michigan.
Speaker 2: They beat a one seed by thirty points.
Speaker 1: If I was a betting woman, I would bet on Michigan.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But beautiful studio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks good. We've got the trophy back here too.
Speaker 3: We'ly from a mariat.
Speaker 1: We've had some good studios that we've been shooting in with our guests. We do have our last one today.
Speaker 2: We just came from Phoenix, YEP and had great pot episodes and then today we're with Jay Williams, who Rocks. I' probably seen him on TV.
Speaker 1: I saw or heard the voice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually saw him on TV this morning. I turned ESPN on.
Speaker 1: We're excited to have him. He's gonna be a good one.
Speaker 3: So a lot of freaking okay, has that sound?
Speaker 2: Let's talk some ball, well, fun tournament, a lot of one seed supremacy, which I hate.
Speaker 1: It was like the things we're supposed to happen, you know what it sounds like. The duke in Yukonton.
Speaker 2: That was like the biggest thing to me for sure, the biggest moment of the attorney.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you need those.
Speaker 2: Actually, I would say round one and two there were a few little uppy sets. Uppy sets. I'm always a fan of that.
Speaker 1: You're always going to have those upsets, but I always want like underdog underdog to like around truly make it.
Speaker 2: We've talked about it before with l It's like way harder.
Speaker 1: Okay, But let's talk at a little Yukon Michigan forerial though. Okay, have you have you been keeping up with them a little? I mean I watched Michigan dominate Arizona.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watched Michigan with our sweet brother keV.
Speaker 1: Oh did you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we went to a little bar in downtown Funds.
Speaker 1: That's fun.
Speaker 2: Every time we got wings and burgers, and every time we'd look up at the TV, Michigan was like ally looping from from like half court.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's my thing. And hopefully I'm not eating my words. But Yukon are phenomenal players, like I'm not trying to take away from them whatsoever. Really good players, really good systematic players. But compared to Michigan, Michigan just has a bunch of hoopers who can just play. Yukon is going to have people who go to the pros on thousand percent. I'm not saying that. But Michigan has dogs, dogs who are going to go to the Prosy, who just know how the rhythm of the game. They don't need a system, they just know how to go get a bucket.
Speaker 2: Well, and like the biggest center in the bracket, I was just kind of crazy. Yeah, you have spent a lot of time in it, the great city of Indianapolis. I have what do you think the Final four brings to the community. Weirdly enough, the final fours men's and women's are like your home bases.
Speaker 1: This is that weird.
Speaker 3: That is weird.
Speaker 1: Is it the Year of Me? Kind of so loves I gotta get behind this. I feel like, honestly, the w has done a great job of bringing a lot of money into the state of Indiana. Okay, having a men's Final four anywhere. I just think the restaurants thrive, the people around town that get excited, the gas, the hotels. I think the cities do a really good job having people feel important, embracing them into their culture of Indiana, and people are showing out is packed here.
Speaker 2: One thing that's like underrated. Unlike a lot of major sporting events where it's one event and then you go home, there's two games because it's the Final four, so you have the Round four and then you have the championship.
Speaker 3: So there's four schools in town at once.
Speaker 2: Two of those teams, unfortunately, do lose, and they have probably booked their flights and hotels assuming that they'd be in the championship game, and then their whole job after that is to hang out and just catch vibes.
Speaker 3: Okay, explore the city.
Speaker 1: Well that's what I was going to say. We just had people in here from Arizona and they're still here because they want to see the championship game. And so you're right, they're just catching vibes. They're getting to see the beautiful downtown Indianapolis, And so say, almost, go get you some shrimp cocktail.
Speaker 3: Have you been a livery here?
Speaker 2: I've not, thanks to the Mexican restaurant. Really, we had a great time because we've been here. We were here first Selection Sunday and now Final four. I was kind of staying downtown, but last night we went and got dinner like more in the not like in the suburbs.
Speaker 3: But it was like a ten minute uber. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like to drive to a restaurant and just kind of like scope out neighborhoods and field at home and like there are a bunch of houses with like colts flags and a cute little streets with like trees and old stoops.
Speaker 1: Being back in the Midwest, we just love our sports. Yeah, like we love our sports. And I know that like Indiana they won with their the football and I know it's known for like a basketball state, but like everyone is waving the flags, everyone is like wearing their colors, and I absolutely love that about college sports culture in the Midwest. So I think the coasts kind of lose it a little bit, or they don't get it. They're not fired up as much as we are.
Speaker 2: I would agree, and I mean it helps that there's that they're good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the Colts kind of caught on fire and like people.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about the Peyton Manning era and how foot would have been to be here with with that whole team, yeah, when they were rocking, trying to compete with Tom Brady every single fall. Yeah, but for sure, the Midwest is like the best place to be a fan of any team ever.
Speaker 3: Wait, I have a I have some especially the fever.
Speaker 1: Wait, let's let's walk through. Okay, if you are a fan and say your team was in the championship game, what is your ideal day? Game is at nine pm tonight? Oh so you have to like walk me through. When you're waking up, what are you doing? Your friends are in town, what's going on? I like this.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna try to be a little wholesome.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna wake up at like eleven, just a quick thirty minute inclined walk downstairs in the treadmill.
Speaker 1: I was sweat out last night expecting that at all.
Speaker 2: And then I'm gonna I'm going to the hotel bar, break downstairs. Okay, have this beautiful mariat yep, and I'm gonna wait for all the boys to come downstairs.
Speaker 1: Like noon twelve thirty.
Speaker 2: I think that's probably around one one okay, one lunch.
Speaker 3: Maybe we just.
Speaker 2: Wander around because we're not doing a big dinner because we're gonna be ready to go to the game. So maybe it's like a late lunch reservation. Stay there, drink a little bit, bar hop because you're bar hopping during the day and we're gonna come back, shower, put on our collegiate clothing, and then head inside.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: And may I say before we head out of here, my water pressure pretty good?
Speaker 3: Sick?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was good. It was really good. So salute stayc was good too. I walked to my room and I was like, west Wood, enjoy this.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I woke up this morning, turned on ESPN because that's what I do most mornings.
Speaker 1: Did you see a lovely, beautiful.
Speaker 4: Man in a dark turtleneck yep with blue So the story started that blast, Yeah, and so I felt special because said person on my TV screen was coming to hang out with us soon after.
Speaker 3: So he's been working already this morning was that live? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Every hit has been live, yeah this morning starting up five thirty am.
Speaker 2: So that was special for me. But before I started asking you a thousand questions, let me give you a.
Speaker 3: Special little intro.
Speaker 2: If you're down, guys, our guests, expectations high, our guests today. Former Duke standout and one of the most recognizable voices in college basketball. National champion in two thousand and one, a first team All American and National Player of the Year in two thousand and two, he is one of Duke's all time greats. After his playing career, he's become one of the most trusted analysts and commentators for ESPN and beyond.
Speaker 1: We'll see if he's trusted after this turned that out.
Speaker 2: Please welcome Jay Williams.
Speaker 3: Everybody. Guy. I gotta tell you A big fan of the pod, big fan of the pot.
Speaker 1: All right, well, I'm just going to get right into it. How are you feeling after that Duke's loss?
Speaker 3: I thought this was like a positive it is.
Speaker 5: I think it's It's always one of those things I'm torn about, right. I think what I recognized a long time ago doing TV is that if I try to be objective. My fan base hates me because I'm being objective. If I'm a homer, everybody else hates me because I'm a homer.
Speaker 3: So I just stop really giving a damn what people think.
Speaker 5: And I root for my team and I tell you if I think they're bad in the matchup, and it's painful to see Yukon here in the championship game. Plus they've owned our number for the last ten to fifteen years, since nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Turning it back to being positive. The Boozer boys, and especially the one who did the term, Yeah, he owned it. He owned it, and I just wanted to give him a squeeze because he's a freshman. He's young, un experienced at the collegiate level, but like he stepped up to the plate, you know what I mean, and so like he had a heck of a season. The whole du team did. But that was a heartbreaker.
Speaker 5: So can I tell you his dad is my teammate. Yes, So I've held him when he was a little baby, which is crazy now I'm just an old man. No, it's like those are like the little babies, you know what I mean. So watching him and you know how it is, and like we all have our experiences, like losing on that stage with social media, like that's all people will try to label.
Speaker 3: You as so. But he's a strong kid. He's gonna be all right. Yeah, he's gonna be all right.
Speaker 1: Talking about like your college days, all of our college days. Talk about like your favorite travel memories is back in Duke, Like with teammates.
Speaker 5: I'll probably say one of my best experiences traveling was you know, every time Duke has won a championship, we've either won it in Minneapolis or Indianapolis. Interesting, which once again you know, not to put poor salt on the wound, but we want in Minneapolis and we want it and obviously, you know, like winning a championship is just crazy in general, right, And we.
Speaker 3: All got on the team bus. You know, Coach k is always like everything you see him, he talks like this and he's pretty I love him. He's you know, he's military, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And watching him on the bus in Minneapolis dance, he let his shoulders start.
Speaker 3: Flowing and I was like, oh, now I see why that's all coming together.
Speaker 5: Like that was like it was like a you know, you know, it is like you know, I didn't get a chance to see my coach be human a lot. Yeah, it was always like so just monotonous every single day that there was a great moment.
Speaker 3: Typically you hit the airport after an away game.
Speaker 2: But when you guys won in Minneapolis, did you get to stay at the hotel one more night?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? Yeah, right, just just great.
Speaker 5: Coach K just hit me in the chest with three of his national championship rings. Two of them just hit me so heartily.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to wait.
Speaker 1: What is Yeah, what is something you really learned from him? Because I think Coach K is one, He's a lot of people's favorites. I just like the more that you just listen to him when you're you're away from the sport, not that you're away from it, but you're not being coached by him every day, So it's different perspective, a different lens, Like, what is something that you really learned from him?
Speaker 5: I think you know, he often talked about and it's been critical for my life because you know, like being drafted second overall, you're getting a chance to live out your dream right and for me, my dream was cut short.
Speaker 3: By a mistake that I made.
Speaker 5: So as you can imagine similar to Kaid and Booze or why probably run towards kids like that is you make a mistake on a national scene. Everybody has some type of judgment that they think they would do if they were in your shoes. That's why I love like man in the arena, right, It's like it's a great speech, and I think for him, in particular to your question, there will be mistakes. Do you look at them as mistakes or do you look at them as growth opportunities? Like he was by my side at the hospital, like literally two days after I got hurt, amazing and just pray with me and just told me next play.
Speaker 3: That was always his thing.
Speaker 5: Like if I had three turnovers in a game like Jay, next play, if I made four shots to Jay, next play, I say something stupid on TV was a mistake because you're on TV for seven hours a day, Next play. Make a mistake in a relationship. All these things right, and for me in that moment when you want to wallow in your own pity, yeah, think about the next player.
Speaker 2: Yeah so good, Okay, real quick, I'm gonna lob you. Every year, Final four Weekend brings the games, the pageantry and legions of loyal fans to one city. It's a stage that's bigger than anything else in college basketball. What about Final four weekend do you.
Speaker 3: Look forward to the most? I love trash talking to fan basis. I love it. It is so my thing.
Speaker 5: It just it makes me warm inside, you know, like because I think you know fans often just that exchange is great. And I also like I know as a as a player that played in it, it's there's so much noise. I'm just like you, guys, there's so much noise that always leads up to all this, right, and then there's something about tucking yourself in a bunker and it just being you and your your team, these people that I'm rocking with, Like that's my squad.
Speaker 3: Right now, and like it's I miss that so much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I could never you never get a chance to do that again, being here in that moment where everything else, like you're playing from sixty thousand people.
Speaker 3: It's just you and your your squad. It's a beautiful feeling.
Speaker 1: Man, Okay, now, not playing. What is something you look forward.
Speaker 5: To watching other people experience their moments? Like watching my freshman in my junior year, we lost in the sweet sixteen to the team that lost in the national championship game each year and like and that hurts, Like that's like you're like, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Like ty me like Duke right now watching Yukon. Yeah right, I just said I think I.
Speaker 1: Would watch every time we got kicked out of the tournament. I stopped watching he did. Yeah, I was like on the beach or like I just didn't want to I was over it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I respect that because because if you're on my team, I don't like you, but then want my team love you.
Speaker 5: So I feel like I'm petty LaBelle. I'm like very petty. I like the store memories and just use that, just use that.
Speaker 3: That's motivation that fits Duke. Can I say that? Sure? That fits like a Duke rad expound small.
Speaker 2: Private school, like and people are more petty towards you and like you just have it to give back at all times?
Speaker 3: Is that fair to say?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: I'm from Jersey, Okay, okay, Like, but I feel like I.
Speaker 5: Have a West Coast vibe, Like I love the mountains, I love the beach, chill out there, listen to the water, like that's my whole energy being recruited by them I'm like regardless, Like I was at Georgetown, like do I not go there? Like it was coach k Like do I say no to that? And then like we played a style of basketball like we were like kind of like the Golden State Warriors before they started playing Golden State Warriors basketball.
Speaker 3: So all of a sudden, people started.
Speaker 5: Comparing me to WOJ like Bojahawski and Bobby Hurley and Christian Lanterer.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I got nineteen tattoos, Like I'm not Christian la. I love you guys.
Speaker 5: I know, like the turtleneck may throw you off a little bit, like you know what.
Speaker 3: I mean, and a blue sox, I get it, but like that's not who I am.
Speaker 5: So it's almost like people have this perception of who they think you are. I'm sure you guys see it all the time too. Didn't mean you're like, oh you're actually you're really cool. I'm like, nah, duh, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I feel like everyone who is living in public eye everyone relates to that. But I think the majority of people it's like, oh wait, like I actually really like you. You're not It's like, well, yeah, because you guys don't know me. You guys, that's that's what you think, because like we all hate each other on the court, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Jay, as a traveling man, a college athlete in your professional Okay, yeah, you're on the road a lot, Yes, hotels, cars, planes, whatever. What keeps you grounded while you're traveling, like.
Speaker 5: A marryout rewards points? Since I've been thirteen years old? Okay, yeah, since I've been thirteen years old. I was telling the crew all back. They're like what, I'm like, Yeah, my dad worked at AMEX, so I've been staying in Marriott since I've been little.
Speaker 2: What then, Okay, then let's do that. What do you need in a hotel room or hotel cleanliness?
Speaker 3: Of course? Yeah that's not of course here it is, well here it is. Yes that hate being next to elevators. Can't do it, Okay, but I can't, like you just can't. Yeah, you can't do it. Okay, I can't do it.
Speaker 2: So you like you'd rather take the walk. I like to be in the middle of the hotel. What's what's an underrated basketball city in Europe? It could be professional, it could be w it could be college. I gotta be honest with you, Okay.
Speaker 3: He's gonna say Chapel Hill.
Speaker 5: No no, no, no, no. My junior year, like how many times when you're a little girl, were you in your backyard and you're shooting and you close your eyes and you're like three.
Speaker 3: Two and a shot goes up and it goes in right. Okay, Yes.
Speaker 5: My last college basketball game, sweet sixteen against Indiana at Kentucky. It's the only time in my life I think I ever heard Kentucky fans root for Indiana. That never happens because they despise us so much. Down four in Lexington in Lexington, Sweet sixteen at the.
Speaker 2: Arena where Kentucky plays Arena. Oh okay, okay, they take a shot.
Speaker 5: I get to my rookie freshman, takes the ball down the right side of floor, shoots the three. We're down four with eight seconds left to go in the game. The ball hits the back of the rim, bounces to me at the top of the key, literally like every dream, catch the ball. This guy, Dane fIF is right there from IU. Give him a headfake. He jumps. I close my eyes and jump into this dude. Throw it up and all goes in. Three and a half seconds up on the clock. Every kid's dream. They call time out. Coach K's great at drawing, like all these visionary stuff. He's like, when you make this free throw, we're going into our forty one press.
Speaker 3: Like hands up. He's talking about all these next defensive plays. Right, I'm locked in.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I'm gonna make the free throw. I'm gonna make the free I'm gonna make thee to the free throw. My routine, ball goes in and out. My teammate Carlos Boozer gets the rebound, gets foult. They don't call it. We lose to Indiana. Now, I tell you this because I happened to marry a girl that went to IU and her brother and her dad also went to AU and all I hear about is the miss free throw. For the last ten years of my life. Fans are Indiana fans are crazy when it comes to the ball.
Speaker 3: It's very flat, not a lot to do around here.
Speaker 5: I do respect downtown things that came up along way, but like Indiana fans pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: Man, They're pretty Bloomington, is it ole? Do you think the stay giving.
Speaker 3: Giving a state love?
Speaker 5: I'm also given like Indiana basketball. They will now say they're a football school because the wow.
Speaker 1: Wait, so what are you? You have a lot to say about all these sports and I love this, But what are you looking forward to today.
Speaker 3: In the National Championship. Yeah, I've known Dan Hurley since I've been We need.
Speaker 1: To talk about him.
Speaker 3: And the ref was it's the funniest figure I've ever seen. The ref is my boy. Yeah, the ref is my boys. He's been around forever.
Speaker 5: What he does is every time I call a game, like a Big twelve or a CEC game, he walks over to me. He's like, yo, I had on the pink Flamingo soup pants tonight, I had the gray Patchino loafers on, I had the jacket on.
Speaker 3: Like. He always tells me what.
Speaker 5: His game fit is, like all like it's down to a team and I always see him leaving. He's the best dress referee there is in the game. And him and Dan are kind of boys, so like they kind of like that this moment of they're cool, Like it's like they're like, you don't think anything about it.
Speaker 2: Oh, to Dan was just hype like crazy, it was just hyped.
Speaker 3: That's nut. Dan's always been hyped. Though.
Speaker 2: I do have to also say I listened to the Keishawn, Max and j podcast all the time.
Speaker 3: Max's genius.
Speaker 5: Maxis straight up tell you like, so we have like our preproduction meeting every day, like at four forty five in the morning. Right, yeah, you're like all right, so when you go to bed, you just pretty much don't sleep, just keep going.
Speaker 1: Is that why you're doing circles around this table?
Speaker 5: So Maxic come on the show and like all like, oh, the Monday Night Game was last night. Max were like I did not watch one second of it, and I'm like, so, where do we go with this? So then Max would read and then he would hear a couple of people.
Speaker 3: And have their assessment.
Speaker 5: And next thing, you know, like ten minutes into the show, he has this thesis that it is brilliant? How did you just Meanwhile, Key's coming in from the bar the night before He's like, oh, I was watching The Girl with all the boys, Like so everybody just had their like the true part about like the reason why your show was good. You guys are just authentically yourselves, right, Like it doesn't feel performative, You're just kicking it.
Speaker 3: I don't think we've said a stat entirely.
Speaker 1: Player of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she doesn't tube.
Speaker 1: So we talk about a lot on court and some of the experiences you've had, but walk us through like you as a player, not on the court. What are the hotel stays like? What are the meals like the bus like.
Speaker 2: With tournament, specifically when it's a NonStop city city city bang bus game hotel.
Speaker 5: A lot of video games, video games are played, Call of Duty, NBA two k lats of stuff like that. As a player, a lot of just shenanigans that typically occur when you're dumb and you're seventeen, eighteen, nineteen years old, you.
Speaker 1: Do that like with coach k as your coach.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, you gotta know, you.
Speaker 1: Gotta tell Actually tournament or just like normal season.
Speaker 5: I can either confirm nor deny the specific time or location of some of these things that have occurred.
Speaker 2: Jay, We've talked about this. You travel all over the country. When you're traveling, how do you like to explore a new city? Like for me, find like an old bar sitting in it, have a couple of beers and just see who comes in, who comes out, Maybe talk to the bartender. What do you like to do when you're in a new city, how do you take it in?
Speaker 5: So the last couple of years have been hard because I have three kids under seven, so I'm always tired of Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're the best too.
Speaker 5: So sometimes like when I go into cities with them, like I kind of like I like history, love so like just going through, like, hey, where are the top five places that we can go visit where I can teach my kids about history, because I don't find that people talk about that anymore so going to locations. I'm big on that, like sight seeing and just kind of like talking through like what used to be right to understand like where we are now.
Speaker 3: So I love anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dad's very much like that, And I appreciate those memories now that I'm older more than I did when I was younger, because when your little history is hard to like truly grasp me just like the importance of it.
Speaker 1: You know, But when you're physically there too though, you just you get to take it in.
Speaker 2: Looking back now and like the fact I've been to x Y, the historical place is so special seein I'm seeing your kids will be very proud of those experiences and.
Speaker 5: Correct for boys, I think girls are different, like I have two girls and one boy. Right, So, like my friend Scott made this video they're all having a beer at this bar. Just the difference between girls and boys. Because my kids are seven, five and three. So my son is in the middle, right, Okay, So Amelia, Zane Penelope, And this video was all these guys sitting at the bar, four guys and one of my friends stood on top of the table and they did it by ai and kind of like jumped out of the roof and then jumped into outer space, right, And my son is like, oh, that's so cool, And my oldest daughter is like, how can he breathe?
Speaker 3: He's an outer space And I'm.
Speaker 1: Just like girls have brains activated earlier, right, So like my daughter when we go places, she's like she'll talk about it.
Speaker 3: That's dope for like a while, Like.
Speaker 5: She'll talk about Indiana places she's been, like remembers it all like that. Where my son's just so it's I guess about timing and when the brain forms, you know.
Speaker 1: True, speaking of kids when you were little, who is your favorite player growing up and why? And also now watching collegiate hoops or pro hoops, who's something that you still really love?
Speaker 3: So I am so like all these conversations. Whenever I start talking.
Speaker 5: About business, I geek out, yep, like I love sitting at this intersection of sports and business.
Speaker 3: And you know, I'm six'. TWO i never THOUGHT i was going to be six.
Speaker 5: Eight but Like Magic johnson was like my favorite person of all, time even.
Speaker 3: THOUGH i used to Watch.
Speaker 5: Magic i'm, Like i'm gonna be more Like, isaiah but Like irock with You, magic, Right so like Meeting magic and spending time With, magic And magic's like my little.
Speaker 3: Brother he calls me as a little.
Speaker 5: Brother i'm, like, oh thank, you, lord, yeah just because like you, know what he's built is. LEGENDARY i think like WHEN i see guys, now LIKE i got the.
Speaker 3: Best job, ever you really, do, honestly so GNARLY i.
Speaker 5: Get a chance to hang out with Like Asia wilson or, you or like some of the best players in the w get a chance to play out Like lebron or talk to D wade about history Or mellow or you, Know i'm Watching Kate cunningham And detroit like all these different people and just sports in, GENERAL, NASCAR, NFL, nhl LIKE nhl hockey.
Speaker 3: Playoff it's just.
Speaker 5: Awesome SO i think when you get a chance to like spend time With Pete, Carroll i'm, like, yo you are way more, Smart like you're. BRILLIANT i never knew him like, that, right and so Cal, perry you just made mention of, Him like you, know my father in law Is, Italian so LIKE i just watched literally like these And i'm From, jersey so my friends called me like a Black italian growing, Up like let's watch these two just like kick, it, yeah and like and they're, like, oh it's For gazi and all these eff like is so it's you get a chance to know people on a human, level which is it's just cool to.
Speaker 2: Me meeting people is such a better human experience than thinking you know people from media OR tv or.
Speaker 1: Because you get to know them and like why they are the way they, are and like when you are around people who are so brilliant at their craft and then you get to pick their, brain it's just LIKE i love that stuff and now That i'm kind of on this side of, it and you do get to kind of like see the, stories, yeah and it's just like people are just genius and the way they think about the. CRAFT i, know you say sports in. General but for me When i'm still, playing, LIKE i just love seeing different people's perspective on the sport of. Basketball and it's it's cool as a, player it's cool as an, analyst and SO i KNOW i appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Too what's your favorite part about doing media?
Speaker 1: Now my favorite thing is being around the players and seeing their daily, habits picking their brains on why they do what they. DO i love breaking down offenses and defenses and why they're playing a certain, way why they switch up that. STYLE i was With The sun's broadcast for three or four, years and Once katie got, there and you, know books, phenomenal But katie is JUST i feel, like on a whole other. Level, Yes and so just like always seeing his little right to left crossover right at that. Elbow no one could stop. IT i saw so many game winners and just everyone knows that's his, move but they couldn't stop. It and so just like picking up on small details and you, know getting to See whimby play, live getting to, say See luca play, lives getting to see these you, know amazing players just LIKE i don't, know they're the elite level App it's in the entire world and you get to see it, firsthand then talk about it and then interview. THEM i just think that's so.
Speaker 2: Special yeah, ye speaking of little, Details, jaye did you have a routine or, like are you superstitious in any way anything you did at the hotel before you played or even before a big.
Speaker 5: Day it's crazy being a parent the most humbling thing that can ever happen to.
Speaker 3: You, Right it gets you outside of.
Speaker 5: Yourself and and this is positive because you KNOW i almost died WHEN i was twenty. One, yeah, right so that was a very hard experience for me to learn WHO i, was but not through the lens of other, people like for myself and WHO i wanted to.
Speaker 2: Be.
Speaker 5: RIGHT i lost my, mom you, know three years, ago coming up in a couple of, days, right it's. Okay AND i lost my dad this, year and so you, know my parents have always instilled faith in. Me so LIKE i ALWAYS i always say to serenity prayer BEFORE i go to sleep and then like WHEN i wake, up BUT i say it in my, mind, right and it's, Like, god grant me the serenity to accept the THINGS i cannot, change the strength to change the THINGS i.
Speaker 3: Can in the way to know.
Speaker 5: The difference BECAUSE i just feel like AND i say it to my kids because, man life throws so many different things at, You and especially When i'm.
Speaker 3: TRAVELING i don't know how you guys, are but like.
Speaker 5: Being out and, ABOUT i absorb a lot of people's energies all the, time, Right so it's And i've definitely had a couple of bumpings with, people like WHEN i was younger THAT i THOUGHT i wanted to meet AND i was so disappointed WHEN i met them because they didn't take that time right just to treat me LIKE i was a. Person and so like When i'm out and, about people come up to me and they'll talk to, me And i'm, like all, RIGHT i have a choice in this, Moment Like i'm dead, Tired i've been going SO i was four, Am LIKE i have no, Words like how DO i try to engage with this.
Speaker 3: Person for a? Minute?
Speaker 5: Right and when my kids have that same type of like, hospitality like that same type of like, thoughtfulness yes with life because it meant it's nobody SAYS i.
Speaker 3: Have to be here man yea ye like.
Speaker 5: And also like when my mom and my, Dad i'm like, Whoa Like i'm forty four years, Old LIKE i got twenty three extra years with, Them like nobody SAID i had to have.
Speaker 3: That so it's a, gift you, know it's a. Gift that's a great.
Speaker 1: Perspective it's good AND i think we can all feel that because you are, Exhausted like you just told us your schedule after, this and it's, like how are you doing what you're? Doing you do this like on a daily, basis just just to feed off. THAT i feel like our parents are always, like leave people better than you found. Them how can you put a smile or how can you make? PEOPLE i love the word, Hospitality Like i've never even thought about that because you're thinking about in so many, ways but how can you do that when people come up to you and so you can feel, THAT i think we filed your energy right when you came. In we're, like this is gonna be.
Speaker 3: Great that's a good way to put.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah i've always just thought THAT i think being and maybe not for, everyone but being kind and nice at least comes naturally TO i would like to think it comes naturally to. Everybody but, yeah when you meet people who don't take the time to whether it's be respectful or give you the. TIME i just feel like that would drain me more than it would like taking the time to like energy.
Speaker 1: Management, baby it's a real.
Speaker 2: Thing quick little game of this or? That, okay and we're asking, you but like we'll probably chime in hotel breakfast or postgame room, service hotel.
Speaker 1: Breakfast cutting down the? Nets are hanging a banner in the?
Speaker 3: Banner really hanging the banner.
Speaker 1: A game in your hometown or a game on the other side of the.
Speaker 3: World game on the other side of the. World that's. Good, yeah there's such good. Basketball have you seen those videos with the fire's?
Speaker 1: Wild you will never get over because when you play over, there you get to experience. That and when he was like when they're, like oh is the crowd and he's, Like i'm From, serbia, brother and then you see. Guns whole thing is.
Speaker 3: Shaken game Of cameron Or final, Four final?
Speaker 1: Four, Okay, wow this is a salty.
Speaker 3: Question trying to hang Banners, west that's.
Speaker 1: True free upgraded sweet or crunch time free throw free upgraded?
Speaker 3: SWEET i hate you? Both tell you one story throw to get worked into the.
Speaker 2: In flight movie or good. MUSIC i internally battle this one a. Lot actually this is.
Speaker 5: Tough and BECAUSE i love country music like the low, key it makes me chill.
Speaker 3: Out BUT i do love a rate in flight. MOVIE i love. It IF i have to go, MUSIC.
Speaker 2: I always Think i'm gonna watch a movie and THEN i just kind of, LIKE i just get comfortable with my shuffle AND i just let.
Speaker 3: IT i just let it.
Speaker 1: Easy one Here durham Or Chapel.
Speaker 3: Hill what AM i?
Speaker 5: Doing cruis hanging out cruising years, old because the old me would have be Like Chapple.
Speaker 3: HILL i love hanging out on Chop. Hill, No i'm always gonna choose their film slash or shoot. Around Shoot?
Speaker 1: Around you fully unpack or live out of your? Suitcase depends on how a lot of.
Speaker 3: People will fully unpack all the. TIME i kind of go back and. Forth, OH i Know jay's answer for this.
Speaker 2: One it's probably all three of us, postgame hotel recovery or go out and. Celebrate come, on, dude, yeah shoutout one.
Speaker 1: Sixty point game or twenty point triple, double.
Speaker 3: Twenty point triple double like. That, yeah did you get a lot of you? Boards? Guy? NO i got? Boards you? Did?
Speaker 2: YEAH i THINK i was like six Rebog Dog cinderella story Or Blue blood. SHOWDOWN i kind of like the Blue blood. Show, yeah that's.
Speaker 3: Good that's.
Speaker 1: Good team bus or, FLIGHT nba or.
Speaker 3: College that's WHAT i was about to, say.
Speaker 1: Experience, YEAH i would SAY i was just about to say as a pro team flight.
Speaker 3: Team, flight but no doubt about.
Speaker 1: It but as a college team, Bus.
Speaker 2: Yes pregame workout or pregame meditation.
Speaker 3: Sash pregame? Workout did you work out for? Games? Yeah that was my? Meditation, okay the workout was the.
Speaker 1: Meditation watching a game on set or in seats one?
Speaker 5: Set, yeah on space just BECAUSE i can talk to all my we will be able to.
Speaker 3: Talk, yeah you know WHAT i, Mean, like where AM i a? Game be, like, oh what do you think about? IT i, Stop i'm watching the game with these people right. Here facts.
Speaker 1: Respect all, right we're gonna switch a little. Bit you have been super outspoken about THE, wnba WHICH i big. Fan let's just give us your thoughts and, Why like why do you care so? Much because there's a lot of people in your position who you, know they just want to stick on the men's. Side but you have been a big supporter of, Us.
Speaker 3: So thank you my, PLEASURE i mean you're human.
Speaker 1: Beings, yeah thank you human.
Speaker 3: Beings and you play you play a sport that is growing.
Speaker 5: Immensely, yep and, uh you, know sharing a piece of a pot is.
Speaker 3: CRITICAL i think for a multitude of.
Speaker 5: REASONS i think number, one, like growing, UP i played one of the first COACHES i ever. Had his name was Rich, leary and he coaches team The New Jersey. Demons and we had a girl on our team Named Asia. Jones And asia played At.
Speaker 1: Yukon, YEAH i was gonna, say why DO i know?
Speaker 5: That she was an absolute Savage and we worked out all the time together and my coach was so cool BECAUSE I a six were so part of the game AND i would see all these guys play and it was always running up and down And duncan and he would be, like all, right, ja like let's do ballhandling and he.
Speaker 3: Do it with like the, girls right and like some of the. Girls i'm, like her handle is better than. Mine, YEAH i.
Speaker 2: Work she talks about all the time how like the W nba fundamentals.
Speaker 3: Are it's just.
Speaker 1: BETTER i, mean but it has to be like you guys are just way more, athletic where we have to have our.
Speaker 5: Fundamentals SO i learned at a young, age AND i think just being around a lot of women's, players LIKE i would hear LIKE i would hear all these, stories like WHEN i was in, College LIKE i would listen To sue like super talk about like going over and what she had to do going, Overseas LIKE dt is an absolute, beast AND i will watch down to her tell stories about going. Overseas i'm, like, wait they can just cut your contract and she's, like, yeah they just cut our. Contract WHENEVER i would hear all these stories And i'm, Like, yo this is just. Wild i'm, like you're, here you play here for several mile, months and then you go over there because you can make three four x with.
Speaker 3: That that's the way they treat you over. There it's just so as you watch this sport grow and grow and, grow.
Speaker 5: Like and also Like i'll be really guys Like i've always been passionate about, it and they're, like my oldest like is starting to love. Basketball she loves, basketball, right so you start thinking about the future of the. SPORT i already thought about it that, way but, now like WHEN i take my daughter to A liberty game.
Speaker 3: And you're like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah so, like, OH i have a platform and for, me, like once, AGAIN i don't like to see anybody taken advantage. Of so, yeah like we're just going to dive into the subject And i'm going to stand up for WHAT i think is right AND i. DO i was glad that you guys decided to take a stand because at some, day like at some, point you have to be the advocate for yourself because in any big, business they're going to keep trying to they say they're going to do the right, thing but they're in the business to make, mats to make.
Speaker 3: Profit LIKE i.
Speaker 1: APPRECIATE i think that it's really. Cool when we talked a little bit about it With Alison, feaster when she was talking because she's with The Boston, celtics she does stuff with their front, office and she was, LIKE i love that you're hearing. More kobe kind of started the trend of. IT i would, say you, know the orange. Sweatshirt but like all THE nba guys and people who play at a high, level they love our, sporm they respect. It it's cool when you see someone with your, background your, platform and now you have a daughter and you're just even more invested because hopefully us players now when it's her time to, shine it's way better than we could have ever, imagined you know WHAT i. Mean and SO i think every little piece is. Important and THE cba it was super. Important it was, huge and we fought for you, know our revenue share was the biggest. Thing our salary cap is way, better you.
Speaker 5: Know so it's interesting like how the public frame something as opposed to what it actually.
Speaker 3: Is.
Speaker 5: Right so like a lot of times for the w IT'S i hear it's come up a lot in. Commentary, well like THE nba, subsidizes, right and you're, like, well that's investment like it, should, right and THE nba is looking to get that investment. Back and as you see this asset continue to grow and, grow that that's why the media write steals.
Speaker 1: Better.
Speaker 5: Right SO i think you're you're starting to see In one of the THINGS i hear a lot on is like, Academies, LIKE i really think, guys that we're moving toward day and. Age LIKE i sit on the board For Overtime. Elite it's a really big conversation.
Speaker 1: Academies, Yes, OH.
Speaker 5: I think it's a really BIG i think in particular for women's. Basketball it's going to become bigger and bigger and.
Speaker 3: Bigger love this, Right david L, Yeah David laido used to be the assistant coach AT.
Speaker 2: Uq recruited me for a, while so he went To dave went to Rock, bridge we went to high.
Speaker 3: School.
Speaker 5: Wow, YEAH i Love dave l all. Time polase tell my absolutely. Will so it's interesting that when we talk about kids getting, paid, right it's such a polarizing topic in. College you know a lot of people, say, well you, know it takes away from the. Sport i'm, like, okay well it's been taken away from has it been taken away from? Tennis has been taken away from? Boff like has been taken away from? Overseas like everybody gets into a conversation Around luca right now in his, hamstring, Right AND i talk a lot about and athlete. Habits, yeah, okay well you become a pro and you don't know what you don't. Know now as a, COACH i can mold your, habits, Right luca's been a pro since he's been fourteen years.
Speaker 1: Old, yeah, yeah, Valid so a.
Speaker 5: Lot of his habits are habits that he's not going to. Change, Yeah And he's been rewarded for those habits over and. Over so you, know In europe this is a this is a common. Thing you could be a pro when you're. Fourteen look at all these academies in.
Speaker 1: Soccer, well when you are like a pro, pro they have kids who are thirteen fourteen that are kind of like our practice players who do get, paid and then they're just like developing them than to take our. Spots so it's but it's. Smart. Smart.
Speaker 5: Yeah SO i look at this as trade, school AND i think it's going to start. Happening it's the same way when you think about in five years where it's gonna be some of the highest paying jobs like.
Speaker 3: Plumbers. Yep nobody wants to, So like at some point when you get your.
Speaker 5: Education you guys both graduate from, school you're, like what DID i major? In, Yeah, like is it actually applicable to like Anything i'm doing right? Now if you want to be involved in, sports if you're a young girl you want to be A wnba, player doesn't it make sense for you to learn about the business of. Basketball you could be an, agent you could be A gm you could be a, president you can be a lawyer for.
Speaker 3: Somebody there's so many different jobs.
Speaker 2: In academies or be not just training but. Educational you're going to change the whole.
Speaker 1: Curriculum because the only reason, why AND i KNOW i speak for probably a lot of, people we knew that there were overseas players who didn't go to college because they were already getting. Paid the only reason WHY i truly went to college is because that was the next step In america to become A wnba, player to become a. Pro but also to your, point AND i think social media there's good things about, it there's bad things about, it BUT i also think that it's shown a lot Of i'm speaking on the female side of, things those types of. Jobs like growing, UP i had no, Ideas LIKE i had no. IDEA i was, like, OH gm had no idea that we could do. That you know WHAT i, mean you know nothing about. It they don't tell you anything about. It and SO i feel, like you go to college and you have to in the sports, world it's either you're playing or YOU'RE i don't, know you just don't get taught the sports business as much AS i wish you. Would SO i just.
Speaker 5: Got done speaking AT Usa, Basketball Like Jim, tooley And Sean ford then in the men's, program AND i would do it the women's. Too so got a chance to be there three days ago and literally asked. Them they had like forty players in a, room AND i was, like, okay, cool who in here wants to be top TEN nba draft? Pick everybody raise their? Hand who in here wants to be the first pick tacking in the? Draft everybody raised their. Hand SO i picked the one And i'm, like, hey you stand. Up he's like, great said his. Name i'm, like all, right you want to be the first pick in the? Draft he said, yes? SIR i, said. Cool how much does the first pick in the draft? Make he was, like, uh, like how do you want to be the first pick in the? Draft and you don't know what the first pick in the draft? Makes how much is your contract inflated by on an annual?
Speaker 3: Basis no one knows. ANYTHING i don't know.
Speaker 5: Anything and so THEN i take you to the, exercise, like let's say you made a million, dollars, right you're twenty one years. Old you made a million, dollars, Right, okay, great drafted By. Miami you both live In, miami, right but where are you going to. Live, yeah and he's, like, Oh i'm going to live in my own high. Rise i'm, like all, right, cool how are you gonna spend for your? Partner he's two hundred thousand, Iars, like two hundred thousand. Dollars it doesn't get you anything In miami. Now he's like eight hundred thousand. Dollars i'm, like all, right, cool what kind of caring in the? Drive, yes and he's, like probably get like A. Bentley i'm, like all, right that's two. Fifty i'm, like your mom and dad have they've been there for you your whole? Life he's like. Yeah i'm, like AM I you're gonna spend in their? House he's like a million. Dollars i'm, Like yo're already. Over you're only netting six hundred thousand.
Speaker 2: Dollars bigger picture would this pie so that people don't have to also then waste money on other people to manage their money if people just knew how.
Speaker 3: To do, It BECAUSE i, mean to know how to ask the right, question that's the right.
Speaker 2: Question, Yeah AND.
Speaker 1: I think like we in our high, school which is, crazy we had financial, advising which was, nice AND i think everyone should have to take that especially kids who are getting paid that type of. Money take the financial, courses like know where your money's. Going, no the tax like another THING i didn't. Know everywhere we play you get taxed in that, State like you get taxed it every ever you stick because we're an entertainment business and so it's just like little things like that.
Speaker 3: And it's all applicable.
Speaker 5: Though it's like WHEN i go on the road AND i use my points My marriott Like bombo like reward, points.
Speaker 3: Like so es we just putting me on the road all the.
Speaker 5: Time i'm, Like, OH i get a chance to stay At, Marriott i'll stay, here give them my, number get my, points and then when the season's.
Speaker 3: Over i'm LIKE i could take my family on a. Vacation it's about learning how to utilize your.
Speaker 5: Resources but you have to know they're there and you have to be disciplined with.
Speaker 3: It but these are things that people have to teach you how to. Do if, not they just go. UNNOTICED, yea Hey, jay we love you so.
Speaker 2: Much we appreciate, you.
Speaker 3: Guys you have so much stuff to do to bus you.
Speaker 5: Guys are both like rock. Stars, seriously thank. You keep doing your thing and keep being. Yourselves thank you cuts, through appreciate all these things don't really cut.
Speaker 1: Through, well we appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Respect so that about does.
Speaker 1: It, Sadly, yeah we had some really good guests THOUGH.
Speaker 3: I KNOW i keep saying, this but we literally cried during this.
Speaker 1: Experience we, cried we, Laughed we found.
Speaker 3: Hope incredible.
Speaker 2: Guests, yes thank you to everyone who stopped by to show me.
Speaker 3: Something podcast we Have.
Speaker 1: Lexi, Joel, Holly allison And. Day we really did have some great. Guests, yeah and all big friends Of marriott.
Speaker 2: Too if you ever are wondering what hotel to stay at when you're, traveling just watch The Holly row. Episode favorite tournament memory from the last few.
Speaker 1: WEEKS i Think i'm going to go with the historic one Of duke yukon them getting this. Steal then he made it so good for him freshman, though he'll never forget that. Moment so that was a game wonder that was.
Speaker 2: AWESOME i am going to keep it in the family BECAUSE i my only dog in the. Fight, WELL i Guess miszoo And iowa representing the rest of my immediate. Family BUT i went on a little run and SO i got to send my brother a couple of.
Speaker 3: Texts you, KNOW i love.
Speaker 2: That that's actually that's an underrated part of the. Tournament what because there's so many schools. Involved, yeah you have like that one friend from like summer camp who went to like where the fifteen seed is and like all of our families miszoo my brother were, like, yeah it's a fun little way to like keep tabs on all your friends and family home to different schools who are.
Speaker 3: Dancing that's much. Love but this was. Fun it was.
Speaker 2: Fun before we head out of, here we just want to say thank you to everyone who knee this, Possible Mosty marriott and the.
Speaker 1: Fans. Legend we didn't even talk about the fans showing up In. Phoenix oh, YEAH ii huge shout out to them. Too that that was a fun. Deal, yeah first live Pod yeah, YEAH i, know any.
Speaker 3: Great memories the crew behind this camera that you're looking.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah a bunch of. Legends the twenty twenty six tournament is, over but we are not done. Yet Mary bomboy is giving away another pair of tickets to the twenty twenty Seven men's And Women's championships.
Speaker 3: To enter for a chance to.
Speaker 2: Win had to show me something pod On instagram and comment what you want to see in the twenty twenty Seven final four on any of Our life from The bracket posts related to the, sweepstakes and.
Speaker 1: Be sure to include the Hashtag live from The bracket in our caption to be.
Speaker 2: Eligible full details in the episode. Description do not miss.
Speaker 1: It no purchase. Necessary open to legal residents at the Fifty United states OR dc who are at least eighteen years old as of the date of entry Ends april. Fifteenth rules at rules dot dj a dot com Slash life from The bracket.
Speaker 3: Guys thank you so much for Watching live from The. Bracket would Show Me something?
Speaker 1: Podcast thank you To, marriott our, guest and you.
Speaker 3: Fan see you next. Year Right also