Speaker 1: No Willian.
Speaker 2: Doctor.
Speaker 3: All right, Rory.
Speaker 4: Today we are back with a new episode, and we are joined. We got another guest, probably a guest that I think we've both been wanting to sit down and talk to for a minute.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's probably the most excited I've been for a guess in a minute. And I don't mean that in a bad way to our other guestscause everyone's great. Everyone, every guest is the greatest guest you've ever had.
Speaker 1: But this is somebody we're supposed to somebody.
Speaker 5: It's somebody I've argued with, like I've yelled at the phone, I've yelled about like with this person.
Speaker 2: I've never met them.
Speaker 3: I've raised my eyebrow.
Speaker 1: What do you just say? What do you just saying?
Speaker 4: But he's one of the guys that I respect because he's actually done it.
Speaker 3: He has knowledge in the game.
Speaker 2: An R music manager.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's worked with you know everybody, Lizzo, Beyonce, Ran The Future, you know, he's so, he's an ELI chopper. Yeah, he's one of the he's one of the guys that I respect. But when he says certain things, I'd be like, yo, I wonder I want to ray first back and forth line because then it comes across the world. So today we are joined by raced love Me, Love Me by far the last the last year some of my favorite content that's that's come out of this music podcasting space, because I do feel like this got oversaturated the way everything has.
Speaker 1: So it's very tough to find people that are just starting in this game where it's like refreshing, like.
Speaker 2: Okay, this person's gonna say.
Speaker 1: As I told ma, I took, I said we should have did you two years ago? I'm like, bro, I wasn't ready. I had to earn this, Like I feel like I earned this seat, like I feel like when I did other shows. It's because who I am and what I've done, and I got relationships with everybody, so I can cheat my way into certain rooms. But it's those rooms of people who don't know you, who's like I found you online, but I respect what you're doing, so I appreciate that you work with my brother Yeah that no, listen, your brothers are my family, bro. So when they told me, when they told me you were they family, I was like, that makes sense because from our space, it takes a lot to be to do what we do, like and go outside and like and like give your opinion right, Like it's hard to do this. So when I see you, I'm like, oh, he talks like he doesn't give a fuck. He has to come from something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he comes from something.
Speaker 1: He talks like I don't care if they called me, like I don't give a fuck, Like I'm a stand on it.
Speaker 5: And even on top of that, because I mean, despite what podcasts, fans and listeners think, our opinions are not bought based off our relationships. I've worked in the major label system.
Speaker 1: You have as well.
Speaker 5: Mall is from fucking hip hop royalty family. The amount of calls I have gotten with people I've worked with, like yo, can you say this nah? Or get mad at you when you start saying shit on the micro fountains going to come very taxing of.
Speaker 1: Like, yo, we worked together for ten years at Universal. Okay, I'm not gonna say nothing disrespectful, but I'm always gonna have my opinion.
Speaker 2: Have you ran into that at all?
Speaker 1: You know? This is this has been the hardest journey for me, and I feel like I'm just getting into the place where I'm having fun, Like like I got online and start talking out of desperation, Like it wasn't like I wanted to. Like, if I didn't write this letter, dear white music execs, I'm probably EVP of president of a label right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I wrote a letter that.
Speaker 1: Put a light on me, that made my peers see me as black.
Speaker 2: I was clear.
Speaker 1: So like I would be in the room working on records for Zara Larson, Pussycat Dolls, all these pop acts, and they'll ask me what I think, and I'm like, I grew up listening to eight Ball and MJG. Like, I'm not giving you my subjective opinion. I'm giving you my objective opinion. Like I know objectively how to make records. But it's been hard, bro. That's why I'm glad I'm here, because if I would have got it earlier, it would have been like, oh, they probably just know them from such and such. That's why they let them on. Like this is a real journey I'm on because I feel like I see the future and I'm like, and I talk to God every day, and I'm like, I know what needs to be done, Like y'all are more of the future than they are. They just have the infrastructure and the history, so they are arrogant about it. But like, I remember when I was coming up in the music business when shakir knew your name. If kp knew your name, you will if your brother hip hop me. I remember the first time your brother called me and he said, ray, I'm like, oh, I'm in the game.
Speaker 2: H yeah, my name.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I came up in that industry.
Speaker 1: And then when I finally got to my top SVP title, instead of signing what I wanted, I signed what they told me to sign.
Speaker 2: So now it was like, well, we signed what they told us, and then why are we in here?
Speaker 1: Then, like we should all be outside because like and then you start realizing, like y'all don't know how to pick. Because see, what people don't know about a major label is when they sign you, they're betting a million dollars off top because even if they gave you half a million, they know they have to commit to video, spending.
Speaker 2: Travel, so like they're betting on the write off.
Speaker 1: But even if it's a write off, they still know they got to spend. So my point is, if they have one hundred million allocated, they only can spend sign a certain It's not that they can sign five hundred things and see what works like or it's not that they can say we're gonna give instead of giving one hundred artists a million, we're going to give a thousand artists. It's like, what, Like you're making it bigger like it's supposed to be.
Speaker 2: This is an exclusive thing we're in.
Speaker 1: So once I started realizing we were letting anything in, anybody in, and it was like, like, I feel like I'm that nigga, Like I feel like I've earned the right to be that guy. So when I see when I come in a room and I got to sell you to an art myself to an artist, that's weird to me.
Speaker 2: I knew who Shake was, I knew who it was. I knew who Kaiser was.
Speaker 1: You had to know the players to be in the game, but now you don't have to. All you got to do is make some noise online. And now they're treating you like you're the next big thing and you feeling it, but you don't even know.
Speaker 2: They just need that record.
Speaker 1: They don't have no they don't know what to do with you after they get that record, and they know you need a record, You need a record. They all need a record. So They're like, if I get it, that means I'm hot. The record don't have to work, y'all, the record don't have to make no money. But the fact that I got the deal tells the company he's valuable because he can go get a deal. So when I signed an Lee Chopper, it was like a huge moment because it was like, how did you get that? You beat baby? How did you do that? I'm like, I just stayed in it, and I just know what. I'm just a human bro. I know how to close shit, Like, I know what I want to hear.
Speaker 2: I know what I heard.
Speaker 1: I know the buffalers told me to make me say, Okay, he's off in four hundred, he's off in five hundred, he's off in this. But I like him the most. I know what that what he said. So I just it's like being a human bro. Just fuck with people that love you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think even like, well, what you're doing, you know. Being a former VPA and R, we've always talked about the irv's dames, like those type of execs not existing anymore. Of course, we have QC, we have Orlando. We have great execs, don't get me wrong, but not ones that are forward facing, Like if you could imagine if IRV and Dame had TWITCH in two thousand and one. I don't know if they'd make music anymore, but do you think that that's kind of missing where there is an opportunity for that exec to come back as the salesman in the face of a label, because because IRV and Dame were entertaining, they're both they were both recipes or geniuses in their own right. Yes, on a marketing side and business side, but they are also you.
Speaker 2: Couldn't keep your eyes off them, like you're dancing in clue.
Speaker 1: I want to ask y'all something. I have a statement that I want to make to y'all. I believe that the moment on backstage when Dame cursed out Kevin Lywles, that's when their black exec died because.
Speaker 2: Every before just agree with it. Hit me out.
Speaker 1: Everybody from that point forward. If you're watching Dame and Kevin, I know everybody that I was with wanted to be Dame. Which man, you wanted to have your own stay outside the building, and it became lame to be in the building. It was like you a tou you lame, So we almost lamed ourselves out the building and now the lames have the power.
Speaker 2: So I think that.
Speaker 1: So to me, it's like, you got to understand a cool nigga's not intimidated by another cool nigga walking in the room, Like I actually want more cool niggas around.
Speaker 2: You know some shit I don't know.
Speaker 1: But when you're not a cool nigga, cool niggas intimidate you.
Speaker 2: Like nigga.
Speaker 1: I remember me and adult. I knew it was different when I signed this kid two K baby. First thing he asked me, now do I know Timbland?
Speaker 3: Now do I know? For real?
Speaker 1: Do you know Gary Vee? I'm like what he was like, Bro, can you get me in the room with Gary V? And I'm like, why the fuck do you want to talk to Gary Vee? What the fuck does he do? You think he knows more than me? I mean, for me, it was just it was interesting because you know when you get to that point in your career where someone says, yo, I want to work with Timbland, I'm like FaceTime timbling my nigga, I work with Jamaine. You get those relationships you take pride. No, So I'm like, who you want to work with? And you say a name.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what, Like, that's what you want to do?
Speaker 1: So you start understanding, like the world is different, you rather talk to Gary Vee. And then that made me say, imagine if Gary Vee was the president of a label, a major, every young artist would want to sign to him. So I was like, I'm gonna be Gary Vee. I'm gonna be the dude that gives all the information away and yeah, something I could get paid for a lot of this, but the ninety five percent is gonna be bullshit. But that five percent that listen, that's like I heard you like me with Dame. When I see Dame and your bigs, I'm like, bro, y'all raise me when I talk. I want you all to be proud of me. Like when I said something, Dame called and cursed me out. I was like, no, I'm like this is this is Dame dash y'all let me through FaceTime, nigga, like I made it in life, Like I'm family with these niggas now. So I just wanted to be accepted by them. But these new guys, they don't care what y'all think. They don't care what I think. They're empowered by someone who's saying, fuck what they think, do what you want, and that's why the game is.
Speaker 5: But I think the same way artists now have to pivot to the times as far as being personalities and being more than just a musical artist. Yes, even what Leor put out with the pivot with YouTube and the letter you put out the other day. Like artists, I hate to say, guys, you have to be more than just this now different times.
Speaker 2: I think executives have to be that as well.
Speaker 5: Like Justice from LVRN, I've been telling him, Yo, start a podcast. You have the craziest personality ever and you actually know what the fuck you're talking about. Imagine a Shark Tank if it was IRV Dame Biggs in that regard, where mister Wonderful is the face of every product that he puts out. Ye, Mark Cuban is that as well. I think there's an opportunity right now for execs to have that. It's just execs are super corny now, so they don't really exist. But if you get somewhere like a sycamore that could be on Mike all the time and actionly be the face of everyone that he signed. Now we're having a different conversation because Sycamore is really an A and R.
Speaker 2: Sycamore really cares about this.
Speaker 1: Like I remember working with Sick when he came to Epic and I was he was doing Travis and he was he was. He would say something and it would be like it was a slam dunk, but it was so small, like I got a house, Travis's gonna work, Metro's coming and we're gonna go.
Speaker 2: Let's go, And you know that's not exciting normally.
Speaker 1: Normally it's like I don't care, tell me what happened after you made the hit. But he was leaning in so much that I was like, you could tell he was one of them.
Speaker 2: He didn't.
Speaker 1: He wasn't a label guy. He was with them and he worked at the label. And that's what Sycamore skilled. Like he gets that, like, oh yeah, I started that with the same way I'm with the artist like I was with the label because I had to give the lab. I had my money came from giving the label a hit. I can give you a hit whatever he the label and he ain't paying for it. I don't give a damn how excited we are. He has to pay for it. So I knew the whole. I knew all the labels in the execs, so I came up in that world. What years were you at Epic twenty thirteen to twenty fifteen? I worked with So I did the Sierra Jackie album. So I did the I Bet You Start Loving Me. I turned that in and I did the Future Honest album. I just want to take you out and show you. So I did those two albums, amongst other things. But yeah, thirteen to fifteen.
Speaker 5: I asked that question because one of my first gigs was with shot Money at Depth Chair and then he went with La Reid.
Speaker 3: Over to Epic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, were you there the day that Bobby Schmurder was standing on top of a desk rapping to all those white people. I wasn't in the office because I wasn't New York based, But right after the deal got done, it was a big issue because you know, God, it was a lot of stuff that happened with that with Bobby spread I know, you know, like with was one of the shots exactly Shot Money trying to sign him.
Speaker 1: Yo, Gotti wants him. It's this whole thing. He's in LA's office. We don't give a fuck who gets him. As long as Epic gets him, so we got to sign him.
Speaker 2: So I was. I was there.
Speaker 1: That was a show Money to the shout out the shot money Man.
Speaker 2: Shot was there when the studio got raided, when he got arrested.
Speaker 1: He's one of the greatest executives, like as a black man that came up in his business. So yeah, Shot Money was one of those greats. And to see him not in the president's job is like a travesty to our world. That's why I wouldn't there with people him not in power, sitting on this couch for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I want to last though, like what did Epic, Like what did y'all think when that video went viral with Bobby as working at that label, especially as a black executive, even you writing the white executive letter, Yeah, seeing that go viral on the whole internet, going, why is Bobby Schmurter standing on top of this fucking desk in a conference room? Yeah, wrapping to all these fucking white people on their lunch break.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you that was the way you got the business excited for you. There was no Internet. So you know the story of Nelly. Nelly was signed, he got an album up. They're trying to get Universal to focus on it. He flies the Saint Lunatics and Nelly up plays the song in the meeting, they come into the conference room and take it over. I think that that's necessary, like so that during that time you needed to stand on the table. If you didn't stand on the table, that meant that you ain't ready for the big stage in the minds of the label. Because that's the stage in the room and we all standing. You stand on the table, you take advantage.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, it was that was a little crazy. Yo was race that looked like shucking and jobbing?
Speaker 1: Well it does because okay, let's talk about it. It does because you got to remember, LA is the only fucking opinion in the room that matters.
Speaker 2: But everybody else in the room.
Speaker 1: If y'all, Bob y'all head right, say, and we in a meeting, bro, and I like, I want to sign her.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm about to sign Alexa.
Speaker 1: She's with us, and I'm like, I'm signing her, y'all, motherfucker's better not Bob y'all head. Don't do nothing because your head, Bob might be an extra three hundred thousand dollars because they like I don't know how Ray felt, but Roy was bobbing the fuck out his head.
Speaker 2: I know he liked it.
Speaker 1: So sometimes you gotta And that's another tactic that we do in the music business.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you just stare at the camera.
Speaker 1: You stare at the artists in the eye and you sit looking and if they look away, I know you don't believe in what you're saying. Like so it's like tactics that we use, like We're gonna stare at you, all of us and see if you.
Speaker 2: Break, because that's usually how you break. You usually don't.
Speaker 1: Nobody usually gets in front of an audience and it's twenty thousand people that know the words. Usually it's thirty people.
Speaker 2: No one knows you.
Speaker 1: You gotta go out there hopefully make an impression. So for me, that's a part of it. All of it is a part of it. You just gotta play the game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I mean, I've been in plenty of conference rooms where similar things happen. But Bobby is at that. You know, he was a young kid from Flatbush. That's how he acts like. I don't think he was doing the chucking driver. I think I can see why the internet thought that, but that is how.
Speaker 2: They bring in new new challenge you. I can tell you. I can tell you a story, an epic story.
Speaker 1: By the way. A shout out to la Read because he taught me with show biz. Was so we're turning in Sierra's Jackie album. So this is Sierra. She's a big deal. We have the whole label. Come meet with Sierra, like if you're a new artist, fuck you, Like Sierra has an ow. Everybody stopped for two hours, so we're in a playback and mind you, we killed it, bro like me and Sierra left like yo, and I never forget this ship was like a scene out of a movie. We walking out of the meeting and everybody stays in. I'm walking my artists out. I know I got to go in. And when we walk out, I see Janelle Money and what's my man name?
Speaker 2: I'm a classic.
Speaker 1: Man, Jandenna Jdnna And they all dressed like Michael Jackson in the eighties, like suits and shit with like these dressed up suits like army sergeants. I'm like, so, I'm like, what's going on? And they was like, you need to go back in. Ray were about to do a showcase and they came in and when that fucking he had, I never got a cane on, and he stepped up the fucking chair like a gentleman. He ain't jump on the table, came with his cane, play that shit on the table.
Speaker 2: I'm a classic man.
Speaker 1: Nigga La told me after it was done, that's how you get a label excited. You and Seierra did good, But that's how you get a label excited. You make them jump on the fucking table and make them people see you. And I was like, and by the way, look what happened with that record, Like we knew we had to hit day one because of how they presented it.
Speaker 2: So you're right, bro, but it's also a necessary evil.
Speaker 1: I need to see if you can do this, because you're gonna have to do this. And if I give you a million dollars today and I don't check to see if you're gonna do this, it's gonna be pile on my face. Nobody likes him, he doesn't perform, it doesn't work, and it's like, ah, I knew better because he didn't do it for me.
Speaker 4: But the talent level, and we was talking off Mike about this. The talent level. Now though in the industry, but is it. It seems to be like it's an afterthought. It's almost like, no, just be famous, so be popular first.
Speaker 3: We can.
Speaker 4: We can sprinkle talent around you, but you have to have somebody that as personality, somebody that people just want to click and watch, Like, is it more important to just be famous? Now? In the labels and people like yourself can be like, Okay, we can sprinkle talent, we can bring in the right producer and make this a thing.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gonna be honest.
Speaker 1: What you just described has been the industry for the last five years for sure. And that's why we don't have any superstars because these guys are not really there to get These guys are not really there to be like Michael Jackson, which is our go They're there to get rich by any means necessary. I remember one day I was talking to Chopper's manager and I asked him. I was like, yo, bro, we got to get a record out, and he was like, we have the number one sage in the market. I'm like, the number one sage, like you know, like that's the shit you like. I'm like, I never thought I would hear that from I'm trying to tell you, let's put on more music, and you're like, nah, we got the number one sage. We enjoy what we at artists, artists treating themselves like spokesman and just selling whatever they could sell.
Speaker 2: If it's music, cool, but if.
Speaker 1: It's this shirt, and I can make ten million doing that. As long as I got rich, I won. And that's not the artist. Lauryn Hill was sick as she wasn't on top. You understand I'm trying to say, like these Michael Jackson would be depressed if he wasn't the biggest in the world. Like I remember Michael Jackson's documentary Bad Documentary, No, not the the bad, Yeah bad, And Michael was calling the CEO of the label Mark not cares about but the guy I forgot Walker yetnikov and and Mike will be calling him saying, we're not number one yet, what are we gonna do? We're not number one? Think about that. Michael fucking Jackson from Thriller one hundred million is calling his labelhad like, we're not number one? What are we doing to get number one? That's why it worked. These artists don't care about number one, they care about money.
Speaker 4: I'm rich alsto the labels care about money too, and I think a lot of that is the labels are like, listen, we don't care how we make this money. We don't care about the artists after the artist is done here, like we want to make money. And I think that a lot of the you know, the problems or the lack of great music that we have is because the mindset changed in both the labels as well as the artists.
Speaker 2: But would y'all not say that, stay right there?
Speaker 1: But would you not then blame it on the shareholders?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Because like, if you invest in the music, you have to know you're investing in music being invested in music and don't want to take no else.
Speaker 2: Who the hell do you know? You were all teaming this shit?
Speaker 5: Wait, hold on, what P and L sheet has music on it? You can't hear a P and L sheet?
Speaker 1: They care about what you mean, that's what they care about.
Speaker 5: But even we talked about the Big Three as far as major labels, Big three is now with streaming services with movies, and they're just regurgitating.
Speaker 1: Every Marvel movie that ever happened.
Speaker 3: They up.
Speaker 1: They don't give a fuck about film.
Speaker 5: You think they give a fuck about music, it's a P and L sheet, but in trouble and on.
Speaker 1: Top of that, you should have sound fucked up.
Speaker 5: Sorry to cut you off, It did start too when you have people Hove I'm a hustler.
Speaker 2: Just so happened. I know how to rap.
Speaker 5: I'm not Hoove loves music, you know, that's a music nerd at the end of the day. But his goal at the end of the day was not for his love of music. Hole was trying to get the fuck out the projects.
Speaker 2: You're trying to get that money.
Speaker 5: As he fucking should. Jez was trying to get the fuck out of Macombe, Georgia. Like they wouldn't do that if it didn't lead to a financial situation. Now they happen to be extremely talented at what they do.
Speaker 1: These kids are just looking at the lick like that's what I'm telling you, Like everybody just going YouTube do it like Jay came from the greatness code.
Speaker 2: Jay thought. Jay cared with.
Speaker 1: Big thought, Jay cared with nas thought, he cared with jazz thought. That's what made him great. These new sexy Red doesn't give a fuck with with Lauren thinks about her music. She don't care what Nikki thinks about her music because I'm rich, and that's the problem. You're gonna get rich, but there has to be a respect part to it, whereas like I want the respect of their peers. So that's why even me like you starting up saying we saw these guys like that's respect to me. That means I heard someone speak like my peer. So I want to talk to you rather than like, who the fuck is this guy?
Speaker 2: Where did he come from?
Speaker 1: So a lot of it is just you know, putting it out and hope they find it. But like people don't care no more. That's my problem, Like you don't care what with your idols, think about what you're doing right now.
Speaker 5: I mean, the goal was always that no matter who it was. Again, back to the Jay example. Jay is so smart. If he didn't know he was one of the best rappers, he wouldn't have looked at that as a lick. Now, the link doesn't need talent, do you, Like Jez had to kind of learn how to even though he's in the South.
Speaker 1: But I think if you.
Speaker 5: Compare right now to Jez Jesus the crazy Jesu's Nos as far as lyricism goes, compared to what's going on now and his catalog is so much because he knew that that's what it took to be in the market, and the market doesn't call for that.
Speaker 2: But this goal was the exact same. Jez and Hole was trying to get.
Speaker 4: Rich, but it was trying to do Is it just an our culture though, because I don't think this happens outside of hip hop and outside of.
Speaker 5: You know, I think, as you think people aren't for the love of stocks, I think it's.
Speaker 1: Our culture because our culture is the poorest, right. Our culture came from poor people not having anything, saying let's create something. So I think that hip hop is our extract. I guess how we can make money. And like, my mother will be driving school buses right now for twenty five hundred dollars a month if it wasn't for hip hop, if it wasn't for her son having an opportunity at hip hop to retire her in twenty twelve. So to me, hip hop is our savior. But we're allowing it to be a joke. And that's my issue where it's like, I don't mind a jokey artist, but can we get some real? But you can't get real if you don't have real execs in the seats, and these people can't tell you. And there's a few like Sycamore, Larry Jackson dash over at a giffing. There's a few that are really good. Orlando gret Orlando. It's like Orlando, if it's some shit happened, I don't give a fuck. If it's in a third world country. Orlando's gonna pull up with his jury on and a Rose Royce and he gonna close it. That's what makes him a great executive, right. He's like music, Yeah, and you got to you have to understand that part. We don't have that part no more. It's like like I remember having to play a record for La to get it out. Now you don't have to play records that get it out. You don't just put it out. You need twenty dollars, three dollars at some places, like just put it out free at some place.
Speaker 2: We'll take our money on the back end.
Speaker 1: So I think they made it the entry so low that everybody's coming in.
Speaker 2: But I think it's fading. I think we passed that.
Speaker 1: I think that the music is about to get back to what it was because the gold rush is over. Like when the last time a TikTok artists made like was it?
Speaker 2: Jello?
Speaker 1: Jello's probably the last TikTok artist that had a bid and war that had like and look at what happened with that. So it's like with TikTok, no break deal seven million, eight million, eight million?
Speaker 3: He thought that was great.
Speaker 5: No, I thought it was a great deal for death Champ. But I think they recouped in two months, no hell on their investment.
Speaker 2: Oh y'all out, y'r mind.
Speaker 5: This is why I think it's crazy you're saying this because you're worth ten million, thirteen million.
Speaker 2: You're one of the few people that.
Speaker 5: That understands streaming that's on YouTube talking about the shit.
Speaker 1: You don't think that.
Speaker 5: They made their money back and in the span of the months that that.
Speaker 1: Jello had you know what, It depends on how big they market share was.
Speaker 2: So let me get you an example.
Speaker 1: Let's say if they will point eight market share and Jello record took them one point one, that point three percent jump is worth more than eight million dollars. You're right about that, but it's just the way streaming is paid out. So that's why that's another thing we're not rewarding the greatest. We're just like it don't matter. It's like I made money this court, I keep my job. And it's like I remember La told me. He was telling me about Clive and he was like, Ray, I've never had the number one artist in the world.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, Nigga, you signed Bieber.
Speaker 1: He was like, yeah, they were huge, but Clive had Whitney and you know me, I'm like, I know Whitney was big, but to me in the nineties, I think Rihanna is just as big.
Speaker 2: And he was like, you have no idea.
Speaker 1: La doesn't come from the world where having a hit and making money makes him happy. He would be sick if he had a hit and he was making money. He needs a superstar. But that's what he feeds off.
Speaker 2: La is one of like the last music men again President So like.
Speaker 5: Shot Steve Bartle's like everyone that's involved Lucy whatever, they're not music Like La, You're you're talking a foreign language right now.
Speaker 2: Yes, ways, so I hear you.
Speaker 5: But nah, Jello with Sinks made that back in two fucking months.
Speaker 1: He probably did. But but but here's the thing. What happens when somebody else comes in the run? What a deaf jam deal. What happens when the next person comes in the room. The viral record where you think he gonna tell death? And first of all, I don't think he got thirteen liquid. I think they put it up against something and they made it back on what what they put up. I think he made a little bit of change, but they put against the loan that they had. Yes, for sure, but the way streaming pays out, if he helped their market share jump a few points, it's.
Speaker 2: Worth over eight million.
Speaker 1: Like if that five if I made three hundred motherfucking million and they got to pay you one hundred and fifty million, And it's based on market share, so that means if it's one hundred million, you get eight hundred thousand. Death Ja was worth it, yes, So I'm like, so that's what he did it for. But yeah, I wouldn't let that number get out. I can't believe they left. But did you with a little nigga company? You gave Joe eight million?
Speaker 2: I won nine?
Speaker 3: Right? Right?
Speaker 5: I mean to me, that that marketing, I think respectfully, anyone that does like announce those those numbers and shit, it's stupid just because of IRS. But to me, that's marketing with all right, you guys in the bidding war that was for Jello. You started the bidding war when you already had to deal with him for marketing purposes. You're putting that number out to make Jello seem bigger than he really is. In that regard, it's like, oh, never, may I gotta pay attention.
Speaker 1: To It's gonna give you some information. I don't even i'mupposed to say this, but fuck it. When we signed an elite Choppa his we gave him eight million. That was the biggest deal in Warner Records history in the Atlantic for new artists. And the way the deal was set up, we got we didn't get his Masters because he had a partnership with United Masters, so we had the income. Yeah, nigga, I think nine months in we got a three point seven million dollar check from United Masters. Now think about how big Choppa was compared to how big.
Speaker 2: One song from Jello is.
Speaker 1: It's like, I don't think people understand standing numbers like and by the way, you and Masters might pay differently compared to major labels how to get streaming. But I know we were cooped. I ain't gonna lie we getting an eight millen. I was like, Man, we fucked. I was like, I guess we ain't gonna never get that back.
Speaker 5: I mean, Alie Trappers not not my type of shit, But I would guess he's somewhere in the twenty million as far as value of which he would bring to a label.
Speaker 2: He probably makes.
Speaker 1: He probably makes Warner about fifteen to twenty five million that year, whether he puts out an album or not. Yeah, just with the back catalog that he has already. That's made me never take a job again. That's why I can't do what I did again. I can't like, i ain't been at that company in four years and I'm still making tens of millions of dollars and I don't get no royalties, no nothing. I'll never help somebody get rich again and not have something on the back end for me.
Speaker 5: So all right, here's what change your business model. This may be a quick NERD segment.
Speaker 2: Let's go. I like NERD moments. I agree that you should be paid way more.
Speaker 5: Okay, haste off that if you bring someone in and they're bringing in this amount of money to a company, I'm with you. I've seen a lot of a and rs try to put themselves in splits. They that they didn't fucking do. They're in PUBB that they didn't fucking do. And to me, I hear you as an A and R. You should make more money if you bring in someone that is generating this type of income for a company. But I've seen A and RS do some fucking wild shit. Of wait, you have ten percent of this record? Why why because you because you showed up that day and transcribed the lyrics? Though, because they tell they because they tell me, they say I produced it.
Speaker 2: You ain't producing a fucking thing on here. This is what they do.
Speaker 1: Rory and Mile is somebody y'all can get on the album. You ain't nobody. I want ten percent if you make the album. Me bringing them in the room, I'm supposed to. They everybody want to work with them. Me bringing you in a room. I'm not so I'm I'm bringing you in the room. I'm gonna need a percent. I think that's whack. I think that's dumb. And I always say, like the person remembers it, like you know, the statement they say, the actual gifts, but the tree remembers the person that you took that little ten percent from. Will always remember you the motherfucker that took from me when I like a my worst moment, So like I hate that, but like it's a big thing, bro, And it's just like nobody has a problem. It's like nobody's saying nothing. It's like we I can't believe this, Like just blake, Like I came up, you put your mama name, Like I ain't gonna put my name. I'm gonna put my mother name. They ain't gonna know who that is. But they just putting their name Like it's like damn, yeah, no, shame.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because my mind, I'm afraid of an artist. Like my biggest fear, My biggest fear is a artist trying to call me out, because when the artist calls you out.
Speaker 2: You're done in this business, are you though?
Speaker 1: Yes, name somebody theme somebody to recovered from a real artist calling him out. Can you give me some examples. I don't think ERV recover after fifty called him out. You think ir recovered after fifty called him out? Earth Like he got back to the same IRV got it after fifty called him out.
Speaker 5: No, I think a lot of that had to do with the trial with Supreme and that came and then being falsely accused of money laundering.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not.
Speaker 1: Arguing none of that, but what I'm I'm my point is still in the socialiation that he got caught up in.
Speaker 5: H Yeah, but that was just the That was the perfect storm, the movie perfect storm when three storms come together as one. Fifty was coming at one point. Uh, at some point when you peak, you're going to start to fall. Murder, inc owned everything. There's only one way you can go after that. On top of that, all of our assets are being frozen because I'm being falsely accused of never giving pre money except to do a fucking movie, which is legal. I don't understand when that became illegal to give someone money to fund a movie the movie to give you premun.
Speaker 1: Selling crack on talking about.
Speaker 5: So, I think it was a perfect storm of those three things, of the peak just hitting its peak and starting to fall as everyone does the same way. Fifty fifty at a peak and fell musically everyone hits that.
Speaker 2: Why nobody working? So, I don't know what you're.
Speaker 1: Saying to ask your question, why is nobody working with?
Speaker 2: What's Mary J. Blig's husband name ex husband name? O?
Speaker 3: God?
Speaker 2: Can do?
Speaker 3: Can do?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 2: Can do, salute King Listen, can do.
Speaker 1: Can't manage anything now because married don't funk with him. Yeah, but when married don't fuck with you, you're not on the island no more.
Speaker 2: You're done.
Speaker 1: What you got to pick win for losing there?
Speaker 5: You be the only man that gets alimony out of a case in the history of the court system.
Speaker 1: That's true. Own that shut the fuck up and sit over there, but them table, but them tables you was able to sit at? Oh yeah, of course, jay Z table where you're sitting at. You're done. He can't come around. One artist said he can't come around.
Speaker 2: You're done. Pastor Troy did his masterpee. He killed him. He killed No Limit. He killed No Limit.
Speaker 5: I don't but again, I think that's more of a perfect storm of what was going on with No Limit.
Speaker 2: I don't think Pastor Troy killed No Limit.
Speaker 1: I aint gonna lie bro I was in Atlanta. I was there.
Speaker 2: I was a nigger.
Speaker 1: I thought I was a no limit soldier dog. I wore no limit soldier. And then when Pastor Troy said, tailp them down South, Georgia boys is ready for war. I was living in Georgia. I'm like, man, forget them souls. I'm a down South Georgia. It's like artists can change how people see people.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Biggie did it to Kwame the fucking polka dots is like, what's one person that's new says your ship is old?
Speaker 2: You are. Jay Z did.
Speaker 1: It to t Pain death of Bottle Tone Paint.
Speaker 4: Admitted it like y got good nice check though she just told that catalog he got no.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I think it pushed back. Let's go, this is insane and this is whole Vengers. Let's you are the most jay Z bias podcast of all time. If there's one thing that jay Z did not end, the death of Auto Tune.
Speaker 2: Was a resurrection.
Speaker 5: Jesus Christ walked again after that death, Auto Tune is still here and it's the number one thing in rap right now.
Speaker 1: Ja, he didn't kill Shit Pain. He did not kill Ta Pain. He did not kill He did not kill Wearing Tims anymore. That's the only two things jay Z tried to kill and didn't kill.
Speaker 2: Jay Z killed, he killed. He might he might not have. He killed Jerseys. Auto Tune he did kill Jerseys. He did kill Rims.
Speaker 1: He might not have killed auto tune, but he killed the face of auto tune too much T painted like when he said like T pain't even admitted it, like his noney went.
Speaker 4: From here age today that hurt pain though, did.
Speaker 2: Hurt I think? I think T paint is.
Speaker 5: How is that the case when you said death of autotune and within the same months your number one artist ever under you, Kanye West was an icon, stopped rapping and did a fucking.
Speaker 2: T Paint album with Atoys.
Speaker 1: He did the album that he did the album because his mother died. And the one thing that Yay did with Ato Ways or Heartbreaks is that he kills auto tune because his mother died. No, I think that he was emotional. He went to sing, and I think he was just trying something. I think I think his mother dying triggered him to say I'm gonna go because my father died played a huge role in me. Like I when Delta called me back after nine to eleven, I went back. My father died and I was like, man, Bill Cobseley was my father. I wonder if I would be working at Delta. It was like death. When you as a parent, it changes how you see things. So I can see I can see that happening and being like.
Speaker 5: I respect that point, and I think that's a separate point that you're deflecting from.
Speaker 1: Okay, he did not talk about I look at this. Let's go, he did not kill altitude. What's he might I say he killed?
Speaker 2: He did?
Speaker 1: He might not have killed auto tune. I'll give you that because people still use it. I think he killed the face of attotune, which was T Pain, And I think T Pain was saying, listen, I think if T Pap was sitting in his chair, he'll say, hell, ye ain't fucked my business up?
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, no, for sure. There was a few months where that was the case. D A came out in what year old one would be my guest. T Pain had a number one album after that.
Speaker 2: He still had he still had bags people fucking with him. So you know, T Pain, he Paint can make a hit with anything.
Speaker 1: Like you know, black folks, weren't you and that Boody I don't know, no nigga like that, but like white people was like gamming that, right.
Speaker 2: So Three Rings came out this around the same time.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's go that that shit happened, and now we're going through Choppin Screw with Ludacris.
Speaker 2: Chopin Screw.
Speaker 1: That record was.
Speaker 2: Fucking huge, true. Can't believe it with Lil Wayne, Oh, I can't.
Speaker 1: That came out after this was the same time that day was happening. But you look at you saying, though what you're saying about, But you're saying when you say when you say little Way, when you say Little Wayne and Ludacris, that's like saying he was accompanied by the sun. Of course it's gonna shine like like like when I'm talking about is when he tried to go for himself, like we don't mind you auto tuning on there on there, here and there, but when you try to feed us auto tune. After jay Z said this is the death of auto tune, and you know, everybody looked up the whole so everybody's like, whoa, maybe let me stop tell you, well.
Speaker 5: Then this is a bad joke, Peach keep it. Then he Charlie kirked the whole thing. He killed the face and the whole movement.
Speaker 1: Rose I agree with that.
Speaker 5: I'm not mad everyone did aller like, all right, if he killed t Payne's career, cool, let's let's let's live that hypothetically he killed everyone kept auto tune.
Speaker 1: After that, Like t Payn was the only person that couldn't use it.
Speaker 3: That's why I like Pain spoke to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said it. He's like, bro, I'm the only person that can't use it. I remember he said. Usher came to him on a plane and was like you kill R and B. He's like, what the fuck did I do?
Speaker 1: It was all of a sudden, I was a hero, and all of a sudden I got stars telling me I'm fucking up the world, like just having fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just making music.
Speaker 2: If you look who really killed music? Pain shouldn't be on.
Speaker 1: I was trying to sing brost time great music.
Speaker 5: Maul boost Mobile is proving that you don't have to overpay with great wireless unlocked savings with the twenty five dollars a month forever unlimited plan Today. Not just Saint Patrick's Day week more. This happens all the time. You would think you'd get lucky enough just because of Saint Patrick's Day's forever. No, this is forever more. It's a permanent price with no contracts and no price hikes. You can keep your phone and your number, but you save up to six hundred dollars a year compared to any of the major carriers, Maul, can you please stop overpaying and switch to a fair price at boostmobile dot com.
Speaker 4: Based on average annual single line payment of AT and T, Verizon and T Mobile customers compared to twelve months on the boost Mobile Unlimited plan as of January twenty twenty six. For full off of details, visit bootsmobile dot com. So, Ray you, one of the things that I definitely wanted to talk to you about, let's go, was your stance on uh, Drake's top tier rain being over as a result of him.
Speaker 1: I'm glad we're talking suing during.
Speaker 4: The whole battle thing. Now, let's let's let's be to that. Do you think that Drake's rain at the top is over? Do you think Drake's career will never be the same. Do you think people will never look at Drake the same as a result of suing the labels or just as a result of the battle.
Speaker 1: I think all of it is one and the same. And I love that you're a Drake fan and you say some stuff. I'm like, come on, bro, you know, but like what was like, like, nah, you team Drake like, hey, hey, I think you said. I think you you are the only person on record that is credible because a lot of people say, but you're the only credible person I know that, say, Kendrick Lost the only person that I know to say that. So it's like that's a little like God, damn, he really much thind.
Speaker 4: Just turning though, I'm seeing more and more people say, your family matters was the best record in the whole beefs algorithm though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, like like I'm my business partner. Alexis is famous for telling me that's your algorithm because they know what you interested in. He showed me something totally different. Okay, So here's what I say. Number one, I said, Drake is done if he continues the lawsuit, because what happens is is you're acting like a Karen. Now you gotta understand. Rap is about being the coolest nigga. Rap is about being effortless. Rap is like I woke up great, like we wouldn't we wouldn't like Hope if he tried harder. Part of what we love about him is he so effortlessly great. So Drake comes while.
Speaker 2: He tries so hard, Like that's why he's so great.
Speaker 1: He tried hard. You're right, he stays, he stayed, but he doesn't. He doesn't make it seem like he's trying to try, like Michael Jordan. The only time we saw him stressed out was the Flu game, But every other time he looked like Michael George joke with.
Speaker 2: My friend, there's no way holes ever woken up after ten am. Yes, yes, but nah.
Speaker 1: But Bro, when I said he's done, it's like, you got to understand from the inside.
Speaker 2: I'm in the inside, right on the inside.
Speaker 1: You suing real people, You sewing people you sat down to ate dinner with. These are the same people. That's like you suing us, like you sawing us for doing what we probably only revealed to you because you was half us. You half us, You're not like they don't tell black people a lot of shit in the music business.
Speaker 2: Bro, I ain't been at too many tables with white men.
Speaker 1: That just was forthcoming with how for me to win black men all the time, but not white men. Drake is half Jewish, so he's at these table them Jewish man. They're like, bro, here's what we do. So he knows the secrets. So when you got mad, when he got used against you. To me, that's like, bro, you only know what they doing and you sewing because they showed you, which is something going against the mob.
Speaker 2: Shit Like dog, you know, how much shit do you know?
Speaker 1: And you know that you will never you probably say ninety ten percent of the shit you know in ninety percent you'll never say, right, because we understand the world that we come from. So when Drake started like this and this, and it's like, oh, you have a kid. When you have a baby, they hit their head right, everybody knows this. Don't react because you rap, they're gonna cry. But if you don't and you got like nothing happened, they'll be like everything round, everything is fine.
Speaker 2: But if they see you run.
Speaker 1: Into them like, oh you okay, And it's like Drake, if you just acted like you were okay, bro, we would have thought you were okay. Like, let's be clear, him losing the battle wasn't a detriment to his career. When rap battles happen, we know someone is gonna lose. We know y'all are friends. We know it's nobody gonna shoot each other. So it wasn't like a real battle. It was like, yo, we know it's a battle amongst friends. So when you can't take a joke amongst friends, you make yourself different. It's like when we started off talking about when I'm in class, I don't want to raise my hand because I don't want to interrupt. Like it's like you're interrupting the movie, Bro, Why are you suing?
Speaker 2: Bro? It's over. We would have forgot about it if you didn't sue.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but it's different in the case of if you're Drake and have information on.
Speaker 3: Exactly what the labels were.
Speaker 4: Doing behind the scenes on that whole thing true, and funds that were being used that you generated, and this, that and the third in business, now you're in negotiations with these labels and you may have asked for a number and they don't want to give you that. So on this side, this new imprint that we signed, we're gonna help this artist do something that may, you know, kind of take a hit on your career and your name and your brand. So we're gonna help support that. Like you can't see what artists will be like, Oh, I see what you are.
Speaker 1: So so let me tell you Drake's you actually just really helped me, see something that I didn't see, what Drake didn't understand, was that you're suing Lucian's office. Lucian is the daddy to all the companies. So one of his sons, this is in the scope, and they son is Kendrick. Another son is Mantia, and his son is Drake. I have to treat both parties the same. So if he's winning, I have to help the same way if he's winning, because if he don't help, then you can have top of him saying they showing faith to their favorite.
Speaker 2: They don't want to help.
Speaker 1: So it was so a lot of the times, it's like you have to let the chips fall what they may, and Bro, everybody gets knocked down. And I ain't gonna lie. Bro Like, I'm more of a Drake fan than I am a Kendrick fan. I just know Kendrick is more gifted, you know what I'm trying to say. It's like I listen to Drake music way more and I listen to Kendrick. But you know the difference with how Drake is Chick fil A, he's the top, he sells. It's always guaranteed. Kendrick is Mashros. We might not eat there every once a week, right, but when we do eat there, we know we're going for something special compared to Chick fil A. So my thing was, you gave him the advantage, bro, Like I'm a Drake fan. I'll be wishing I was these niggas friends, so I could tell him, Bro, don't do that. Here's a Lucy ain't gonna do. As soon as you see what they gonna do. This guy is acting like a baby.
Speaker 2: Look at him.
Speaker 1: They're gonna make you look worse. So you so I get it. Don't get me wrong. It's an ass whipping, don't get me wrong. Whatever it was, come back with a record, And if I was you, I would have said, like remember how when Pink did the don't let Me get Me and she went from like R and B to pop rock and she goes LA told me you'll be a pop star. Nigga La hated that line. Well he hated that shit, but it was like she told her truth and they put a fake La Red in the video and that's it. So my thing is is it's all the game, bro, Like you are the biggest, you are the best. If you, if you, it's like a nigga getting punched. You know you walk all on the shit. You might cry in the car, but y'all not gonna see me. All I'm saying this, nigga cry in the car. These chicks love you. You can't cry in front of black women. You know that. You can't cry from them. You can't be lame in front of You can't unlame yourself in front of black women.
Speaker 3: You know that.
Speaker 1: That's why niggas will shoot the club before they get their ass whip, because you niggas, she ain't gone. You ain't even no ass now if you get your ass whipped. So did you better off killing a nigga going to jail with five? It's coming out at least broads are gonna like you. I'm a d That's my point. So with Drake, it's like you would have been more of a legend if you just let it go. But now we're talking about Iceman and the lawsuit. We should only be talking about the music right now. You brought the lawsuit into this, That's all I'm saying. I'm like, if you keep that going, you think universal? Would y'all do it if y'all was universal? You think universal is going to work? You and give you their best if you have a lawsuit against them.
Speaker 4: No, I think they almost have to. Nah, he demands too much of the space right now. No, No, all of these we got we got some good music out this year. The only album that everybody wants to hear, the only artist that everybody wants to hear from, is the one that is now deemed not cool. Cry baby, you know lost the battle. It's suing. That's not by coincidence. That's me by that because he is the biggest and the best, hardest, true.
Speaker 1: But when but when you're the biggest and the best, you can't play by the rules that the small guy plays by. You have to be the big gets in the best. That's what makes you that. It's like Mike Tyson, he lost the Holy Feel, but he's still my favorite box there because no matter how many times he lost, he got up like a man. He took it on the chin and he kept going. He didn't say they cheated. It's like once you win the ring. When Drake was saying they cheated for him, so I'm gonna sue him. Bro lost It's okay.
Speaker 5: I like that point that you're saying, who on earth is playing by the same rules as Drake. Nobody Nobody so granted, Jay and I is probably one of the at that time, the biggest battles we've seen in hip hop of what we would call two A list artists going at I don't know if hip hop was the biggest genre data wise at that point. Now, hip hop is that everything evolves and changes, and the way things evolve and change, especially with business. When you are a hip hop artist, Drake's and Pop start cool whatever, He's still hip hop on roll day when you now control close to the same market as Taylor Swift when it comes to a label. Back to the perfect storm theory, the biggest battle we've ever seen in our entire lives is Kendrick and Drake because the two biggest A list artists when hip hop data wise, money wise is at the highest it's ever been. I know it sounds crazy to the Internet, but we can never speak like we know what Drake is going through and how important it would be when you're negotiating a deal at the level that he is during the biggest battle where you generate that much money to keep the lights on there and y'all got the motherfucking nerve to put money bonds in somebody. Yeah, right, of course it wasn't quiet because you are correct.
Speaker 2: What do you what did Drake think they were gonna do?
Speaker 5: Pr wise? But of course they're going to make him look out to be a cry baby. And I'm not mad at anyone that says he's a cribbag, I get it. Yeah, but I could never imagine in that situation generating the money that I do, knowing the information that I have to be like, Yo, it's all about the all about r L y'all, you know, and that's just all like you're not what y'all saying, But this is not Hip hop is the number one genre, or has dropped a little bit, but it's still the biggest big genre on earth as far as cultural impact, and Drake has surpassed all of that. It's him and Taylor Swift in that building. Bro. Of course, I'm fucking suing.
Speaker 2: What are we talking about? Hundred percent right?
Speaker 1: But what I'm saying is is that it's like, no, I'm not suing. You know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna look at this. You know what Drake would have been better? You know, I wouldn't have sued you know what, I'm stupid. You know, I wouldn't have sue if I was Drake seeming, you know, would have told him, let's ask to leave the label. No but that all right?
Speaker 2: No, no, hit me out.
Speaker 1: That's what I suing.
Speaker 2: What happens then they're afraid of me. It's my fuck about to leave. We gotta make it right.
Speaker 1: But when you sue like I would have asked to leave you, let me out of here, said y'all, Like said, y'all want to work out of y'all. Y'all forgot that I'm the favorite. Y'all didn't protect my likeliness. Let me out this deal because he's worth Drake is probably worth three or four His catalog is worth for about three billion dollars, like if he sold it on the open market. So why are you taking a half a billion dollar advance? You should have did what the Weekend did when it leverage the god a loan, leverage it against it. But you like the machine too, bro, And that's what I'm saying. You can't get mad when the system works for you, and when you get mad when it doesn't. Like that's my only thing. And like I said, I hate this mall I'm glad I'm talking about this because I'm a real Drake fan. Like nigga. I love this nigga like I remember fighting niggas. Like he's gonna be the biggest artist in the world. That's kind of how I got credibility from niggas because I would be the first nigga when best I ever had came out. He's gonna be the biggest artist in the world. How the fuck you know? I could tell you he's hot, black, he's half Jewish, he's talking directly to women.
Speaker 2: He has he's no violence in them.
Speaker 1: He's from Canada, he's clean, clean cut, he's he's gonna be the biggest and you know why the most important thing.
Speaker 2: He can do any genre because he's from Canada, Like Kendrick can't do one dance.
Speaker 1: He can't unless he's with a UK artist and he's a feature, but he can't make that his song Drake is the ultimate cheat code of music. You you got tricked out of your spot by by the culture. And to me, that was the part that I felt like the culture really fucked you up. They we're gonna do the battle. Drake had nothing to gain from the Kendrick battle. Let's be honest, me nothing like you.
Speaker 3: The top.
Speaker 2: The top I could do is lose. Why we do this again?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: But but you can't win for losing that now?
Speaker 5: But no, he because I'd sit on this couch if Drake duck the like that smoke, I'd be on this couch saying yo.
Speaker 1: But the like that smoke. But the like that smoke came from the first person shooter right then. It was a response to him. I think I think what happened with Drake was this is what I think happened. I'm gonna tell you what I think happened from the.
Speaker 2: First person shooter Drake.
Speaker 1: I don't have no idea, but they have a long history of I think that what happened with Drake was that none of his peers could beat him. They knew they couldn't, and it was like, and the nigga could do anything he wants. He can do Rick Ross type music, he can do Travis type music, he can do AP he could do a core K pop song if he wants. He could do every because he's from Canada, and I think it's peers got a little frustrated with that. So I think they've been trying to bait him, and you know he probably knocked off everybody girl, right, so you know you really want to get him. And it's like Ross can beat him on on one. It's like we in jail, bro, like who can beat this nigga? Like who's the one? And I think the only person alive that can beat Drake in the battle was the only person he bat There's not another human that could touch him nowhere close. But you went against the one nigga you shouldn't have and then you took the bait. So when he's doing the slave shit, he's he's leveraging the half. He's leveraging the halfs you part that was your superpower? Now was the cultures looking at you like you don't know no better? Hold on, he don't know, Bro, You went into Kendrick comes from Compton. My nigga, they burpies. The niggas is Burpi's lifting weights. Since at five in the backyard, they're three hours behind us.
Speaker 2: Bro, Like what time?
Speaker 1: Whatever time it is right now, it's four thirty, Right now, it's one thirty.
Speaker 2: There, that's a whole difference.
Speaker 4: The only thing that's funny about that, I know, man, niggas in a confident that don't do burpe'st nigga doing.
Speaker 1: A push up some ship and I'm like, don't don't battle him, y'all.
Speaker 2: Don't battle that guy like his friends want to get you.
Speaker 1: Like I know to t I know these guys, been around these guys, these guys are guys you don't want to play with. Drake is Canadian? Bro be Canadian? Another thing I would have said. They never have hit me out. He's being Canadian, but hit me out. Let me tell that.
Speaker 2: Mean, here's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Kendrick has to come to Toronto one time, and that's on tour. Drake, you're in l A one hundred times a year.
Speaker 2: That's just what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I'm just saying, like when one of y'all get off the train or get off the plane, you never know if it's a tsa motherfucker that's cool with somebody from top. It's like you just never know. So I'm like, don't have that fight. If Cole comes in, do it? What if Cole lined him up? What if you told we go I just thought about damn, that's what if Cole lined him up?
Speaker 4: In him? I've been saying because.
Speaker 1: If they if if Cole joins the battle, it doesn't go that bad for Drake because there's three people fighting each other.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, I know the.
Speaker 5: Definition definition of lining someone up, and I don't think that was the case. Why do you think that cold would have lined him up in that situation? I think cold back.
Speaker 1: Okay, look at it from the standpoint Drake and j this was for funzies and I'm kind of the same person.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, is just.
Speaker 3: Dreads.
Speaker 1: When you got dreads, they don't look at it that way.
Speaker 2: True, but he grew to dreads. What you got d d You know that you got.
Speaker 5: Forget about Drake braiding his son's hair.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 2: To who got it? It was funny, it was.
Speaker 1: But my thing is, bro, you listen if J Cole does the battle, If I'm Drake's team and I'm sitting with him, and I'm like, Okay, I don't listen, bro Kendrick is dangerous and we gotta go to l A.
Speaker 2: I'll do it.
Speaker 1: If Cove's involved, like, let's all hit each other. But if is gonna be you versus him, let's gratefully bow out.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think Drake thinks that way. I think Cole thought that way. I think Cole lined them up.
Speaker 1: As I'm talking to you all about I haven't talked about this because one and that hates me when I say something. When I say Drake, they like, we hate this niggas. I'm like, let me stop talking about it because I'm a fan of his. But I think as we're talking about it, I think Cole might have lined Think about it. If J Cole line Drac up, that is the greatest line up in the history of rap music, nigga. Let me think about that. They were all torn together. They probably like, were gonna go ahead him, Let's do it for the hell of it.
Speaker 2: Man. You know what, I'm.
Speaker 5: Straight, I think you're I think you're giving Cold too much credit in that regards. I really think he just wrapped on first person shooter. Yo, it's the Big Three, Like I just think he was. I think Cole is an actual nice I mean that good way nice guy, but also competitive rapper and just said some ship.
Speaker 4: And I think you're not a competitive rapper.
Speaker 2: I'm saying at the time when it was time to compete.
Speaker 3: Can I finish it? Oh no, just take that off of.
Speaker 2: His name, you think at that time?
Speaker 5: Yes, And I can totally understand Kendrick's point of view. If I'm looking like y'all, y'all hugging on stage, y'all need to do a tour together, I could see Kendrick looking at that like.
Speaker 2: You know, he was gross.
Speaker 1: You know he was at the backyard doing fucking push ups.
Speaker 2: Y'all want to get together.
Speaker 5: I can I can totally see Kendrick, especially being Kendrick, being a very funny. When I say clown, I mean a good way, like Kendrick clown on people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: Like looking at that ship like this is gross, y'all hugging on stage to talk about the last twenty years to get get the fuck out of here, and they're.
Speaker 2: Doing it like that versus that was hip hop.
Speaker 1: I respect it. I respect all that.
Speaker 4: I'm wait for him to get I think apologizing explain that part.
Speaker 5: I think when it comes to being competitive and here for the sport, Drake and Kendrick are alike, but I think as human beings, Drake and Cole are like. And then when it got agree to that point, Cole is like, I'm not you Drake, because Drake doesn't get enough credit for going after anyone that says a word about him.
Speaker 2: I give him. That's true, which a lot of rappers have included.
Speaker 5: You just give a little subliminal here, Drake will rap at you right away, no matter who you are.
Speaker 1: But that's what that's what Ray is saying. I don't, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't stand Drake are similar humans where Kendrick doesn't need to be part of.
Speaker 2: But my thing is.
Speaker 1: The game is the game, and when you in the game and you're richest Drake, that mean you've taken a lot of losses, but you're taking way more wins to be as rich as successful as Drake. My whole thing is, that's a loss we don't have. If that's a loss, that we focus on. The battle was a two years ago. We still talk about it because of the lawsuit. If the lawsuit went away, he would drop music. It'd have been over him at Kendrick would a hug those stage in Toronto.
Speaker 2: It had been over And.
Speaker 4: I don't think I don't think it's because of the lawsuit. I don't think it's that I think that that was such a big moment that we're gonna be talking about that forever. You can't be two years removed from the biggest moment.
Speaker 1: And rap history and not talk about it unless you're the biggest artist in history of rap.
Speaker 4: Now do you feel like music wise, because you know, we've gotten some music this year, some good albums, some good music, but this is clearly a gap is clearly and we say there's no who other superstars?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Right, So do you feel like there is clearly a wide gap missing witness, no Drake album music to really play?
Speaker 2: So we need him?
Speaker 3: A lot of people don't feel like that.
Speaker 1: No, if they don't feel like that, they're not paying attention to the economy. Like Drake made artists that we might not have taken.
Speaker 2: A serious feel more serious.
Speaker 1: Like when Drake does a record with black Boy JB, like you look at him differently, like Drake co signed them, Like he got a hit, but Drake co signed them. So it's like, you need him because a Drake co sign is worth three years of a career, And if Drake just co signed you, that's three years of getting money right because of that, So I think we need him. I just I just wish he didn't take it so personal. Like if I was you, I would have I would have took it personally, but I would have never let them know I would have.
Speaker 2: I would have took Lucy in job. Let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: Michael Jackson was having problems with Tommy Mottola, and he was like, they not gonna oh y'all, not gonna oh y'all, y'all. They're not gonna treat me like I'm Michael Jackson. He flew to Japan, met with the Japanese family that owns Sony and got Tommy Mottola fired. That way from this dinner table. This motherfucker race, this motherfucker racist, he gotta go. They fired him. So imagine if you was Drake and you flew them. You don't think the owners of Universal the indeed, his daughter probably is obsessed with Drake, would love to sit probably get my hand job under the table. Why he's talking to the dad and then say, yo, bro, I don't like what they did. He would have got way more from it. But my thing was, you're acting like a spoil your child. When you are spoiled child, don't act spoil when you.
Speaker 3: Are spoiled, but by spoil the white.
Speaker 2: Because you've always won.
Speaker 1: The reason why he's acting like this is because this is his first time he took a real, genuine laws, so.
Speaker 3: He's always won because he was better than there.
Speaker 1: That's my point. I agree with you, But the one time you don't spoil like they gave it to none.
Speaker 2: But the one time, no, you're right.
Speaker 1: I think Drake is incredible, like the one he was in my top three until a lawsuit like that took him out.
Speaker 2: Yeah to me because like bro like y'all.
Speaker 1: Don't know a lot about me, but like the music industry, like they did me dirty in twenty twenty. They basically set me to die and I could have sued and probably got crazy money, but I know they would have never respected me because they able to have thought you need to sue a win. Nigga, I'm gonna get put a camera on me. That's a hip hop I'm gonna come back the rest of the world suit. But you like what you told me, right, But if we're in hip hop, you have to play by the rules or don't.
Speaker 2: And right now Drake is not playing about.
Speaker 5: The rules of hip hop because he's suing and I'm not comparing this to the Drake thing, but you're not gonna play about rules. All the hip hop artists that we love and respect have sued people before. I'm not saying it a rap battle. I want to make that clear. But let's not act like jay Z's not sued somebody before. Fifty Cents not sued somebody before like that.
Speaker 1: But I think when jay Z sued somebody, everybody feels like it's valid. I think this is the first time when no one feels his lawsuit is valid except for Drake's stands and his friends and him. If I think that the lawsuit is dumb, it's not gonna work.
Speaker 2: It goes go away profession wise.
Speaker 1: And my thing is is there, Drake is more powerful than Lucian Grange. Let me make this know. If I, by the way, Drake don't notice, he needs to notice. He is way more powerful.
Speaker 2: To Lucian Grange.
Speaker 1: Ever will be because Lucien only controls a back office.
Speaker 3: I think he knows that, which is why he shoot.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have sued.
Speaker 1: I would have. I would have sat up on the table so I would what you're saying.
Speaker 5: But I's percentage of Universal's income per year.
Speaker 4: But back to the superstar thing, I think it's one for stars breed stars for sure, but do we I think it's clear now. And I laugh because you know a lot of my homies my chat, you know, they text me to yo yo, mall tell Drake, we sorry, we need him Brody twenty four, we all lied, like you know, it's like it's a lot of that. And I'm just laughing because they're saying, like we're getting good music and artists are dropping and you know, we're getting some good projects. But to what they're saying, it's it's clear. It's like, bro we need that.
Speaker 3: We need night from him.
Speaker 2: We don't need music. We need to excitement. Drake.
Speaker 1: He brings excitement like none of these like you got to remember, like yeah, is a great performer because Yay, watch Hove whole watch came. These other people ain't watching nobody like they're not watching. These young boys ain't watching Travis saying I want to be great like Travis. They just getting their money and saying I made three million dollars last year. You can't tell me I ain't a boss. Okay, you know you need to make three million dollars. The rest of your life every year for you to maintain the lifestyle you have right now, that three million will burn out real quick in six months if you ain't got three more coming in. So keep working, keep going. But I don't really think that's the full problem. Like, yeah, Drake is needed here, but Drake is also a legacy act now and was getting probably the longest run, the most dominant run we've ever seen in music. The issue is there's no one else to me like Drake, no matter. Let's take the battle out of everything, no matter what. Drake was eventually going to get to legacy era and he's about to be forty soon, like we're gonna get it's still no country for old men to some regards with new music. You take the battle out and Drake is still the biggest artist and no one has a weird perception of him. It's still like Dawg, like Drake can't keep the shit moving for the rest of our fucking life like it, no matter what people would have been, like, I don't know if I want the Drake coson on someone that's twenty one and Drake.
Speaker 2: Is formed that as talented, is he gonna be honest with you?
Speaker 1: That's another thing they did when they called his age out because you gotta remember drakedn age, Like, Drake was still like twenty five to me, right, and then they was.
Speaker 2: Like, he's thirty eight, thirty seven, Why has he messed with a twenty one year old?
Speaker 1: Then it becomes like, yo, he gave them to Ammo too much Ammo Like it was like he didn't have to play by the rules, so he didn't.
Speaker 2: And then once they started.
Speaker 1: Focusing on him and they realized how many rules he was allowed to break.
Speaker 2: I think that's what made aus peers come after him. It's jealousy.
Speaker 1: I ain't saying is wrong, but if Drake would have went against any other rapper in the world, we would not be sitting here. He only went against Kendrick and that was the only person you shouldn't have went again.
Speaker 2: That's it. I mean, I would tell you I want to tell some funny. Let me tell you some funny.
Speaker 1: I want to tell you the story about five years ago, I'm in the studio with a super producer.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you off camera who it is, but I'm not gonna say now.
Speaker 1: In a in a big songwriter, the producer was huge and they was arguing Drake versus Tupac, and the producer is from the old school, so he's arguing Pac and the songwriters from the new school. He's like Drake, Drake Trek and he starts screaming, you know, George Drake. So the guy got up and punched him in his mouth. Wait, it's a true story, no, ma, this is a true story. This in the studio. No no issue, No no, this is no This is a true story. By the way, this is five six years ago. And I'm gonnaell when I tell you who it is, I'm gonna laugh. But he punches him in his mouth.
Speaker 4: And producer punches the songwriter in his mouth, and the songwriter falls.
Speaker 2: To the ground, like what are you doing? Bro? What are you doing?
Speaker 3: Bro?
Speaker 1: And the producer stands over him and says, that's the difference between my generation your generation.
Speaker 3: Nigga.
Speaker 1: Keep that in mind, because that's really like, I came from a world where a nigga will punch you in your mouth. Yeah, you say something crazy, you might get pussing your mouth. And he got pushing his mouth. And as soon as he's like, what are you doing? Can I ask you what? The sentence was that got him punched. No, it definitely wasn't yo.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't even that.
Speaker 1: He just was He was just yelling like yo, And the producers are yeller too when I tell you and be like, oh yeah, I know how he is.
Speaker 2: He yells too.
Speaker 1: So the other guy started yelling nigga, oh yo. He said what Yeah. He just pushed me in his mouth right front of everybody, and the nigga just fell to the floor and he was standing over him, and I swear to god, he was like, that's the difference between my generation your generation, little nigga. The little nigga got up, got up, was like he hear me no move. He hear me no move, and just walked out and said he'll never work with me again. That nigga ain't made no hit sense that songwriter, but the producer is fucking filthy rich.
Speaker 5: I gotta tell that story because it was like, there's a metaphor somewhere in this entire The whole point is that.
Speaker 1: The whole point is that you're gonna get punched in your mouth at some point for sure, and what you and what you do back is gonna tell us what generation you're from. Are you gonna get up and fight like a man? Are you gonna walk away? Are you gonna sue? That tells us everything.
Speaker 2: Oh you sue? Oh you my son of age. Oh you fight?
Speaker 1: You must be about to fight, okay you it's just the generations.
Speaker 4: But I get what you're saying. But I just think that also sued. Yeah, it's a difference. I just think that again because we hold Drake to this. You gotta be hip hop all the way through, right, because you're saying that if you can't sue, because that's not hip hop, that's not our culture. That's not But it's like we give everybody else a pass. They could do shit that's not hip hop, and it's like, nah, it's so good. You know what, Drake, what Jake Cole did is not hip hop. You're right, in my opinion, I agree, but nobody wants to call that out. Well what he did is oh no, he wants to protect his family, and you know he was. He saw that it was about to get ugly and nasty. I saw niggas die over.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: What was the number one sneaker from the nineties, Jordan's Barkley has sneakers? Barry Bonds, has Sneakers, Dan Santas has Niagas. But why was Jordan number one? Because he was winning? And that's my thing, Like like in my mind, if Drake is the only person the last twenty years have belonged to Drake for sure, like dog like dog one year, you take a who cares?
Speaker 4: But it wasn't It wasn't again, I think everybody you know, it wasn't the music. I think it was more so what he knows that the labels, that's we're doing. And like you said, he's more powerful than Lucian, so he's challenging.
Speaker 1: He only knows because they told things of all and I'm all to the biggest only because they told him, And they only told him because he's on their side too.
Speaker 2: Once he used you know, how to tell people.
Speaker 1: Remember the whole Ryan Kugler deal thing, and everybody's making a big deal of his deal. You know what pissed me off about it? Ryan Coogler is not the first person to get that deal. He's the first black person. Spielberg been having that deal. It just never when black people get it, it becomes a big fucking deal, Like, oh oh, it's a turning point.
Speaker 2: We get it. So that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's like he just he just shouldn't have went into it, and if he did, he should have took what came with it, kept them moving. He sit up with Kendrick and then kept it going like, oh hell yeah, let us make it do.
Speaker 5: Y'all think it's wild that Tommy Mottola was racist and gay.
Speaker 2: He was gay. I thought he was married to Mariah. He's gay.
Speaker 1: Sexual if you knew told the story how he became in power, he was. He's a He's a smart motherfucker because he only managed Hall.
Speaker 3: Of Notes, that's all he had, and then Mariah.
Speaker 2: He signed her and then he married her.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, Tommy Mottola is not gay.
Speaker 4: According Yeah, he's a heterosexual. He is a heterosexual male music executive.
Speaker 2: That's what he wants you to know.
Speaker 5: We we we're talking of Mike and you had the statement that rap is a joke. I know you didn't mean rap is a j but I did want you to expound a little bit on on that.
Speaker 2: Outside of anything we told with Drake and Kendrick.
Speaker 1: I stress that rappers should treat rap like wwe WWE proves that men just want to be entertained, like all those guys are friends behind closed doors, but we don't care. We love the characters, and I just think that if you play more into that. So like say, for example, if all this was happening and we knew Kendrick and Drake was somewhere laughing at us, we would see it differently, right, That's what I mean by wwe meaning like say, if y'all got something going on, and I'm like, who else got something going on? And then you find like, let's just do something against each other. I don't care, like, and now all of a sudden we're in the headlines and it's like we're making each other bigger than ever.
Speaker 2: For the moment to take drip records of sales. We all won.
Speaker 1: We ain't really beef from behind closed doors. It's over like who cares well? I mean that's happening on the Execs Stole we talked about Lucian. I mean his sons are on the three.
Speaker 5: Lucian has done monopoly. He has all a park place everywhere. When you're putting your son in your rival as the head of that. But here's the things. Are you signing six y nine and he's beefing with somebody on your son's label.
Speaker 2: Like, here's what people don't know. Everyone's laughing about it, but here's what people don't know about his son. His son. Lucien didn't want his son to go to Warner. He didn't want that.
Speaker 1: He just couldn't get the deal approved by the board because it was his son with his son wanted the boy was like, we're not giving that to your son. No, he's not getting that. So Warner gave it to him. That's why he couldn't get it. He didn't place his son there.
Speaker 2: He didn't.
Speaker 1: But I think that that also is like, look at Lucy and Lucian is probably about the exit warning I mean universal right now. He might be like that's what I'm saying, like he knows it. My thing is, Drake, if you mad at him, just don't say nothing. Get him on, not back here and fuck his wife or something like I'm dead that got him in the twenty v Hey, I would listen. My point is this, I'm gonna get your ass back somehow, Nigga. I might not get you back, I can't beat you over there, but I'm gonna get you back somehow. Drake could get his wife, fuck his daughter, dog's daughter who cares like something to hurt him, but not sue him.
Speaker 2: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 5: But then y'all call it Drake Corney when he posted Lucian's daughter or whoever the fuck it was.
Speaker 1: When it's it don't matter what Drake anything Drake do. Right now, they're gonna say corny because of lawsuit. And that's what I mean by like, I hate that he did that cause it's like that follows them. Yeah, it's like, bro, you he too greatful that to follow him, But it's no choice because.
Speaker 2: Of how the culture is.
Speaker 1: It's like you could go nine hundred and ninety nine days being the best man on earth, good that one thousand day you have a day off, they turn on you. Yeah, that's fucked up. I feel if I'm Drake, I wouldn't even drop music lettle Hey, well, y'all nigga listen.
Speaker 4: That was That was another thing I was gonna get into, like do we feel like like should Drake even drop music anymore?
Speaker 2: Listen?
Speaker 1: Man? I told Joe just let us suffer, like, just let us keep it to Joe. And I'm gonna tell you all this. I can't. If I own the seven sixty seven plane, nobody could get me to respond. I will fly my plane over by your fucking house, call you and tell you look outside. I'm gonna pay the FCC fine, nigga, I don't give a fuck how much it costs. I want to just ride by and show you I could do what I want. Like, I can't be for nobody, I will not be for nobody ever in history. I feel like unless I'm be for another thing, I own a private jet like mine.
Speaker 2: But if that's it, nobody's on his level.
Speaker 3: But that's why.
Speaker 4: But that's why I respect it, because you see how you say that yeah.
Speaker 1: But because he he's hip, he cares about the coach.
Speaker 4: He carries that to a different level, Like how you say something to me, I'm coming at you like yeah to me. I think that's more commendable because he doesn't have to respond. He's at a level. But if he didn't, as a culture, we would have all said he I would sing it on camera.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna saying this on camera.
Speaker 1: Talking to you has made me feel more empathy for Drake than I ever felt that because you're right, It's like, that's what That's what I mean. I hate when people take my words out of like he's done it, he's done. If he doesn't drop like by the way, anybody has done that, they don't drop like like like you don't think Rihanna is a little scared, just a little, like what if they don't like this ship? Like I know they anticipating it, but once I put it out, there's no more anticipation, So you don't think part of us. Like when she was in every year album cycle, I was on every album. I love that cycle. Rihanna ain't dropped the album in ten years. Like of course when she comes she nervous. I won't play them games. I'm scared to death. Everybody could listen to my music.
Speaker 5: And as much as I pushed back on the mall with this entire Drake and Kendrick thing, which we can add that part you talked about superducers, which I'll tell you off Mike, Yeah, superducer that that is very much tied to that side. I saw on personally pulled me aside. He whispered my ears and said, oh it's right, m.
Speaker 4: Mmm, but see this, But because I've had the phone calls, but I know it's a lot of shit.
Speaker 1: I'll be like, I'm not even bringing up until.
Speaker 5: The internet, I won't believe anything I'm saying, though, Ya, your favorite producer over there was like, you're all right, you know what it is.
Speaker 2: You know what it is.
Speaker 1: The Battle They not like us, not like us as really the song that kind of pushed it because it was the first hit in the Battle.
Speaker 2: Everything else we was just listening to wait for what was next. Not like us.
Speaker 1: Was the first record that they left, and like nine months later we were still bumping it. So it's like we forgot it's a Drake this It's just a bop in our head. It's like Meek Mill dreams of all night Man. It's like, play that ship. We want to jump to it. But well, that's it represents something. That's where Drake mismanaged the entire thing. Another amazing MC said, they're they're both em c's. Drake ran into a writer, not an MC.
Speaker 2: A writing.
Speaker 5: He wrote the script of what was going to happen. Whereas Drake thought he was about dealing with Kendrick. He thought, because Drake is from hip hop, don't get it twisted, Drake is a fucking EMC was rapping on Dilla beats. When he came out, Drake thought, because I'm going against Kendrick, I'm about to do my rap shit, I'm about to have every on Tandra, I'm gonna do everything. And Kendrick knew that was coming and said, oh no, I'm gonna go in your world and.
Speaker 2: Make it hit.
Speaker 5: I'm about to do this, you know, to be felt like you know, you know, but that was the okie dope. That's why Kendrick was brilliant in his strategy. That's what I'm saying it Like, Yo, the lyrics on not Like Us, it's like the worst lyrics I mean, outside the third verse, but they're all bro just because he knew Drake was gonna be like, Yo, let me go try to outwrap Kendrick because I think Drake is just a formal MC as Kendrick is. But like, nah, if I'm Kendrick and I'm a clown and I mean that in a good way, and I'm a writer, and I know that Drake's gonna try to rap with me, Na, let me just go do, let me go do not like Us.
Speaker 1: And I tell you what it felt like, you know what I felt like? It felt like he got lined up in the hood right like slap boxing. You know, slap boxing, like slop box. You're getting the red right, and then he slapped and then all of a sudden, he punches you. They're like, what the fuck now, They're like, keep going. You're like, hold on, man, we supped to me slap boxing.
Speaker 3: This nigga just pissed me.
Speaker 2: Keep going. Now, you gotta fight.
Speaker 4: I said all the time that no matter what I think the coach was gonna say, Drake, they lined him up if he would have to. Rory said, made a hit or made us dance. Yo, this was trying to make you dance to make a hit.
Speaker 1: Can't win for losing, and Drake soul.
Speaker 3: No matter like.
Speaker 4: So to end it, like you said, at the top, when you're at the top, all.
Speaker 3: You can do is lose. That's why I want he did it.
Speaker 4: You know, I understand it, but I respect it because he kept it hip hop. He stayed in the battle no matter what. He didn't apologize, He didn't back down from nobody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you take an l when you was in the ring, I respect.
Speaker 1: Okay, one question I'm asking you that you might know the answer to case I'm just curious.
Speaker 3: Does he planning as a classic?
Speaker 2: Okay, no, I hope it is.
Speaker 1: But my question is does he plan on dropping Iceman while the lawsuit is still pending or do you think he's gonna wait for the lawsuit to end and then drop Iceman Because it's hard to drop Iceman and get it to work with the same people you're suing. That's what I'm asking Still.
Speaker 4: Drake though, Yeah, it's still Drake. I think no matter what, it's gonna work, the registers will ring. It's gonna be number one he's gonna have.
Speaker 1: You don't think they'll play dirty games and to compress him to maybe shadow ban him to make it a way if he does two hundred instead of five hundred.
Speaker 4: But this album was so anticipated, it's gonna break through. They're gonna try. They're gonna try.
Speaker 5: But even like Nokia, you saw the dirty games with that, and I hate that. I'm like on the Drake defending side of this, but I'm just in a rejective human being. No Kia was a huge hit. That would have been crazier if they weren't playing dirty games to block that record like No.
Speaker 1: Kia would have What did I miss. That s what I miss was hard. Niggas was like, that's not it. I'm like, but see, here's the one thing that happened. When he lost the battle, you gave us reason to question you. We never questioned you. Like when what I like, when I was questioning left foot step, that ship wouldn't work today.
Speaker 2: Half of his records will work won't work today. Like that's my point. It was we didn't.
Speaker 1: It was Drake, so we all accepted it. Now we're like, how you feel about this?
Speaker 5: No, there was just the time that left foot step, all that TikTok shit he was doing during the pandemic. I didn't care because I already know he has one of the greatest catalogs of all time. If you want to do left footstep with a fucking shikesty on your crib during pandemic, I don't hold that against I really I thought it was stupid, Like but like, I don't really care, But what did I miss?
Speaker 2: I thought that was hard?
Speaker 5: I know, but at that point to you're to what you're saying, it felt like a clean slate. To some degree, we're looking at a new Drake. You got to come with something crazy and no Kia was fire. I just think the labels did their their spear campaign during it in the same regard. But I do want to get off this to your point that you've said a bunch of times that we've also said. I think that battle ruined hip hop. It ruined everything. So I don't even want to talk about anymore.
Speaker 1: It hurts me to talk about it now because he might not ever get hip hop again the way we had it.
Speaker 5: I said after like that we could pull up the episode. I said, let's all enjoy this now because this is the last time we're going to see him.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: I think this was before the bat.
Speaker 5: I said, like that, this is the last time we're ever going to see him pop again, because you know what it is, no.
Speaker 1: Superstars has done after this. Yeah, it's hip hop. Was always the cool guy. So it's like, remember rock was running in the eighties and the nineties and actual roles and Welcome to the Drugs. It was like so different, and then all of a sudden, they was lame. They costumes looked lame, everything, but it was like played out And I think that that's what rap is right now.
Speaker 2: We just don't realize it yet.
Speaker 1: Because our kids still look like the rappers, but our kids are all famous now, like everybody's famous now, So I just think it's a I'm.
Speaker 2: Afraid for hip hop. I feel like.
Speaker 1: Until I see a label that has like a top dog type CEO, we're dead.
Speaker 5: I think it's going to go through the same cycle as as every genre really has and just go to legacy and there'll still be some young acts there. But we're now seeing because hip hop is so young, we're seeing the Nass and the jay Z's age in.
Speaker 2: A cool way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like if I mean, obviously Nas is an investor in ring camera.
Speaker 2: He doesn't even go intour, but.
Speaker 5: We're if we needed him to be what Bruce Springsteen is as far as that, like my dad go to MetLife loving.
Speaker 2: Bruce is the cool, like the boss he could be.
Speaker 5: He could wear a fucking button up shirt, but just sit there with a guitar and he'll be cool.
Speaker 2: If Nas needed to do that.
Speaker 5: I think hip hop is starting to age that way where I think KRS and Kane didn't get that that opportunity because they were knocking the door down at the time. I think if Elvis Uh lived, I don't think he would have been this cool.
Speaker 1: Legacy act that y'all think he would have fuscated it because because you get a chance to get out of shape, the hairs get gray, stomach could go out, and it becomes like you don't.
Speaker 5: Look but now, but now you'll get grateful dead leads that like people that can now tour in rock as legacy acts.
Speaker 2: I should even kiss, will take the makeup off, go do the thing.
Speaker 5: Now we're seeing rap do that because it's such a young genre. So I don't think it's over in that regard. Legacy is just starting. His hoop is doing roots picnic and that's gonna be old music.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna tell you what I think, because you're right. I'm not saying hip hop is over. I'm saying hip hop the genre of music is done. I think hip hop has. So you gotta remember, first of all, like my kids are in the culture. Like probably if you had kids, he's in the culture right like you have. So my kids when Drake and Kendrick was dropping, my son is the one that called me when family matters dropped, Yo, Dad, it's not gonna listen Like my son is sixteen at the time.
Speaker 2: It's like we in the culture together.
Speaker 1: Now, when I was a kid, my mother was listening to Anita Baker and Luther Vandraws, and I was listening to rock Camp. Now me and my kids are listening to the same thing. So I think hip hop has an opportunity to spread, but we're so used to we trying to go through the roof and it's like, no, there's no more roof, the ceiling is up there. All we can do is just populate the floor were on right now.
Speaker 5: It's old, I believe, going through the same cycle of every genre, and unfortunately hip hop is hitting the worst time in history where music is meeting commerce. So in twenty years, Kendrick's going to do the thirty year anniversary Damn tour and everyone to be there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But as far as the young version of keeping the genre going, I don't know where that's going because everything's content based. And now you're running into Lee or Cohen, who's the head of YouTube music, saying we're not focused on the songs. Yeah, so it's it's fucked not because of a hip hop reason, it's fucked because of of the But but you know what I say.
Speaker 2: The playing field that we're in.
Speaker 5: But hip hop will live for hip hop is is going to drive towards some point like hip hop has always been the driver.
Speaker 1: I can't think of anything that pop music made popular, right, like a sneaker, like when Will Smith goes men in Black and all of a sudden, we sell three million rate band glasses in the following few months, like hip hop is the only Like let's be clear, like let's just say it, like the black man is the coolest man on earth, right, any table at a black man too? No, no, yeah, for sure, But I say any table that a black man is at that table, there's there's eight other races there.
Speaker 2: They all look cooler because a black man is there.
Speaker 1: So like that's kind of like our currency. So I don't want to just ran on, but like black men are to me, hip hop is our extract. And I feel like, yeah, man, he just got to come on board, bro, Like like I love I love Drake. I just I just wish that he understood that it's not personal. From from Canada, so you don't know how we do in the States. In the States, we joned each other like I'm gonna snap on you from the beginning to the end. Like my best friend. The first thing he said to me was a big head motherfucker, where you think you going? And he joned me the whole walk home from the school bus. And I just don't think Drake understands that. In America, we're gonna laugh at you from time to time.
Speaker 4: I know, I think he understands that. But ain't nobody joking with pedophile though that's true. We've never joked with that. You can't tell me one time growing up somebody that is so chester to the Molesta, that's so true.
Speaker 3: When you ever heard that.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: You don't play with that.
Speaker 1: That's not something we play with ill he plays with that though. The nigga that want you to get in the ring and fight him, that's why he did it.
Speaker 3: Listen, That's why.
Speaker 2: That's what's back.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 1: Dude that's been in the back lifting weights, doing burbies, that can't wait to fight somebody.
Speaker 3: I understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the problem. He just we can wake to fight somebody.
Speaker 1: He needed that money, No, but that was the problem with the entire thing. He knew he said it.
Speaker 5: Rudy, I know you got a thousand records sitting in there hard drive. Why would you fuck with that person, that person waiting to do this.
Speaker 3: I'm a rapper, I'm apper, just leading issues.
Speaker 2: I respect I know I respect that as well.
Speaker 5: Today's show is brought to you by our presenting sponsor, hard Rock Bet. Mall That's Florida Sportsbook. Everybody knows that it's twenty time March Madness, and my favorite thing to do at this time of year is fill out my.
Speaker 1: Bracket and get mad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but does give me some opportunity to win some money at the end of the day, So join me in the Volume Bracket Contest presented by hard Rock Bet. The grand prize winner scores a two nights stay at the Guitar Hotel at Seminal hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Florida, and if you're lucky, Mal will be there for a meet and greet and you get it and you get a thousand dollars in bonus bets to use on the hard Rock Bet app.
Speaker 1: All you have to do is head to.
Speaker 5: Bracket dot the Volume dot com and fill out your bracket that is bracket dot the Volume dot Com to make your picks. And once you brackets locked in, it's time to hit the hardwood pause on the hard Rock Bet app.
Speaker 2: All tournament long mo.
Speaker 3: So don't sit on the bench.
Speaker 4: Download the hard Rock Bet app today and let's get the party started.
Speaker 3: Head on.
Speaker 4: Bonus bets not a cash offer offered by the Seminal Tribe of Florida and Florida offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital LLC. In all of the states. Must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play terms and conditions applied. Concerned about gambling in Florida, you call one eight three to three play wise. In Indiana, if you are someone you know has a gambler problem wants helped, call one eight hundred and nine with it gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, and Virginia.
Speaker 5: Ray, you have posted a rapper that we love supported for a long time herel Russell. You posted him a lot, You've talked about him a lot. How have you felt outside of Hill signing with Rock? And then the Lil Wayne comes you're heaving, said, I just want to make that clear.
Speaker 1: You are.
Speaker 5: I just want to I just want to make that just so you feel comfortable with the couch. Everyone here is heaven, said, I just want to make that, make that very clear.
Speaker 1: How have you.
Speaker 5: As someone that has coached a lot of people's careers. Yes, And we love Larrussell so much. That's why I like love him. I hate that he's going through some shit even though he's a human being and be fucking up the same way I do.
Speaker 2: With the attention he.
Speaker 3: Has on him.
Speaker 1: Now, has he been handling things?
Speaker 2: Okay? You know what I think he has.
Speaker 5: I just want someone to put him like in a just give him a nuggie and be like, yo, you are you shut the fuck up?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So let me tell you that the greatest thing an artist can do is draw a line. And it's saying and say I'm over here. That's the greatest thing the artists can do. Like that means you know your your audience, you know who you're making it for, you know everything. So to me, l Russell, to me is he's finally drawn his line. He had it, like he's like so like he's saying things like, I'm not gonna lie that Hitler is Heaven said. I understood where he was coming from, but he has to understand that that's like a white man saying every KKK man is Heaven said, and we would be offended by that. So I get what you're trying to do, but just because you're trying to do good doesn't mean that you don't hurt people. So to me, that was the only thing he said. Well, I was like the little Wayne thing. I agree with, right. I just I think that Lil Wayne is a great rapper. But I don't think that Lil Wayne. I don't even want to say this because it becomes bad. I'm just saying Lil Wayne can rap. That's what he's great at rapping. I think that we like other people because of the character they also play.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 1: I don't just like jay Z as a rapper. I like the character he plays. I don't like Yay as a rapper. I like Wayne as a rapper. I don't like the character he plays where he's like I don't like think about it. He's like Black Lives Matter. Was that Like he's just never been with us. He's always kind of been like, man, I sit in my own corner and do my own thing, and he's been able to get with that. But I don't think that's not why I would ever put him in that same space. And so when someone like Larrussell says, who got to remember listeners? I love pak more now than I did when I was a kid. When I was a kid, I loved him, but as a man, I really love him because I'm like, man, this man was talking some shit. He was twenty two twenty three talking shit that sell affects me today.
Speaker 2: So what I'm saying is to look at that from the Russell standpoint.
Speaker 1: You're getting older, you becoming more of a man, and now you're looking at your idols like, damn, that's what he did. I wish you would have did this. So I know people judging him, but that's what happens when you grow. You got to think about this whole Probably grew up loving Big Daddy Kane and Rock Him, but at some point you got to measure yourself against them and be like, nah, I don't like what they did. I like what I'm doing. And I think that's what Larussell is. And I think growth hurts no matter what any if you think about the time where you probably got to the furthest you was probably going through the most you've ever went through in that moment. So growth hurts anyway, bro, So to me, L Russell is just growing and now there's a line in the sand where everybody was behind him, like we love him, but now it's people over here that don't like him, and those people get that's what drives an artist. Go back to the WWE thing. Like my favorite wrestler of all time is Stone Coach Steve Austin. He's the greatest heel ever. I don't like a baby face.
Speaker 2: I like heel.
Speaker 1: So it's like you can play different you can play different sides of the fence and still win.
Speaker 5: And yeah, yeah, all right, yeah, we are saying the same thing with the L Russell part. I forget what he rapped about, forget the Wayne shit because I agree with Wayne thinks.
Speaker 2: Well, like I kind of looked at Wayne inside Ray.
Speaker 3: Was mad Wayne didn't get the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Nah, no, no, no, I I don't think Wayne. I don't think Wayne should do the super Bowl because Wayne should never do. His vocals are so hard to follow, Like imagine him singing a million like if you thought they had a problem with Kendrick singing damn and we imagine that I being in over the like it would be.
Speaker 2: I just don't think he should do the super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Wayne should not do it.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 4: And that's okay, that's what everybody's.
Speaker 1: Not meant for the super Bowl, Like the super Bowl is everybody. It's not just one corner of the world. Because of low Wayne deserves this. So this kid Rocky, because he's that, he's Lil Wayne to that world.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, kid, that's what I didn't even see bad Bunny. I saw Marlon Marlon uh, but not with the Russell ship. I guess it's just interesting to see how somebody is finally dealing with not being a darling.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 5: That's why I'm observing this the Russell ship. And we've clowned him after he said that ship, but we support and love La Russell. I'm just observing somebody finally not being darling and how they handle that, Like it's not just a woman thing. But I judge anyone how they deal with attention. Yes, that's a attention, you said attention. That's really I like that. That's how people deal with attention. Is is kind of how I view them.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's that's who you are, Like, I know who you are once once you have but you have the light.
Speaker 5: Yes, Like how are you in this regard now? I'm not saying that in Larussell's case because Larussell's had a bunch of attention on him.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at now how you deal with negative attention because.
Speaker 5: You have been nothing but as rightfully so, you started this shit in your backyard. You deserve every bit of flower you've gotten in this entire time. But that's not how the world works. Now, you say one motherfucking thing wrong, which is kind of true about Wayne, or you say that dumb ass shit. I'm not judging Larrussell's rhymes based off that bumb ass Epstein shit because l Russell has had ten thousand hours of amazing rhymes. That makes sense. You're just an idiot and that we understand what you were saying.
Speaker 1: Stop it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm judging Larrussell right now of how he's dealing with negative pub what you think through the whole thing. I think that's what separates everybody. I think jay Z got killed, came out and we saw how he pivoted and said, we're doing streets is watch him? Yeah, he knows how to pivot once you finally get some negative shit. To me, that defines what an artist is. And I'm finally judging Larussell. How are you going to figure out for the first time, not being the darling independent rapper? How are we moving now? Because it was stupid? Stop trying to explain. I don't know what Heaven sent me.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 5: It was dumb. It was dumb. It's not profound. I'm sorry what you said. We're not profound, mister school, which we all do. We all missed the market. Come on, I'm never judging somebody missing, but how you.
Speaker 2: Want to move?
Speaker 3: We all missed the mark.
Speaker 1: But but but to me, I think l Russell is fine becausel Russell is a household name in the hip hop space. And none of us probably know any of his music, which means we hear him talk that, we don't hear him rap.
Speaker 2: We know what he does, like I know a few of his songs.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying you can't pay Larussell puts out eighty songs a year, like he has a whole different model.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: That was my first conversation with Rest in Peace d Hovane, which was which was his manager.
Speaker 1: At that point. So I can't keep up with this output. Yeah, he he's putting out so much music.
Speaker 5: I'm paying attention more to what he's doing in the backyard and what he's saying saying.
Speaker 1: I was trying to keep up with it. He was putting out like ten EPs in like six months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, six month period.
Speaker 1: He's playing a different game. He's treating music like a I want to say, like a hustle. But he's treating it like it's his trap. And he's playing a different game. And I don't think this the Hitler thing is gonna it's gonna blow over because he's not going to stand on it like YA did. Like he's not going to stand in it. He's like he's talked about it, because remember what you saw what he said. He said, he said, I was just trying to say they haven't said because everybody that's boring is having sent that they become evil. But you playing a game with words that can hurt people. And that's why I'm like, he missed it.
Speaker 5: But he's he's acting like he's saying something profound. And we talked of the last episode. Even though I disagree with a lot of what Yay said, at least ye started a conversation that came from an actual perspective point of view. You just saying everybody's having said like you arguing with us being mad at that.
Speaker 1: It's like, though you didn't say anything profound, that was the first time, you know what, I have no perspective on this.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be honest with you, La Russell.
Speaker 1: I don't think the Lil Wayne thing was I didn't think he thought I was gonna do what it is because I think he was telling his truth and that was unfortunate. But I think this time is the first time where he he's learning, Like this is his first time he put his foot this mouth and he's like, oh, because they're not gonna he's gonna lose something for that, Like he's probably already lost him He's probab already lost money. We don't want you to do a show. Probably at Missfu he was gonna get twenty five thoughts. He probably missed some money already because of it.
Speaker 2: But I just.
Speaker 1: To me, this is the first time we're gonna see how he handles it, And I think.
Speaker 2: He's a great talker.
Speaker 1: I just think that he should say I fucked up, keep it going, But he has this silly side to him. We'll be like, what's wrong, let's talk. I don't think he should do that this time. I think he should just let it go.
Speaker 4: I'm on the opposite side of it, only because l Russell was so self built. I don't think nobody that supports Larrussell's music, that knows his music will stop listening.
Speaker 3: Of course, I don't think.
Speaker 4: Nobody that has been to his backyard the goola will not go anymore.
Speaker 3: I don't think that l Russell loses anything.
Speaker 4: I think people that really don't care about any of the shit La Russell was saying are the only ones that all of a.
Speaker 1: Sudden care about. Right Whatlla Russell was saying.
Speaker 4: I don't think anybody cares about this shit the way they're trying to pretend they care about it.
Speaker 5: I think that Epstein ship was the dumbest thing ever. I'm sitting here, I'm a Larrussell supporter.
Speaker 3: Same aaa.
Speaker 2: I thought it was stupid, but it would never change my mind. It's not going to I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm here to supports something that needs to be some ship. But all right, uh, there is not one celebrity that has ever lived that I agree with everything they said and did.
Speaker 3: Nobody, no personal.
Speaker 1: We live in society now where we think if we don't agree, that means we don't support and I think that we got to lose that like it's okay to disagree. He says something dumb. Everybody does. Everybody does something dumb. It's how they recover afterwards that we should focus on. And to me, I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt because he's been after us, he's been talking, and he ain't fucked up.
Speaker 2: Literally, he ain't said nothing crazy. But also let's also be a beautiful example of how you should move.
Speaker 1: Let's also be clear, La Russell is he's gonna learn this because he's with Hove now, he's under the microscope.
Speaker 2: Everything he do, they gonna think rock Nation town.
Speaker 3: That's the difference.
Speaker 2: That's the difference.
Speaker 1: So I think that I think that he if he's smart, he turned it on because he's like I want rock Nation. They gonna think I'm They gonna they might as well do some mafioso type shit anyway, because y'all don't think it.
Speaker 2: I could see him doing that.
Speaker 5: You know what's so fucked up about the position Lar Russell's in is what he said, the Wayne thing. I know for a fact that there were people backing that clip for a smear campaign because he was signed to Jay. Mm Now with that said, with his Epstein thing, where it's catch twenty two with the internet, now you have that already, I'm signing here. Now I'm getting a smear campaign on x Twitter because I'm signed with him. Nobody give a fuck about that Wayne. Yeah, nobody really cared about that Winge shit. It was a smear campaign behind it for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Now I say something about Epstein and now the smear campaign is Jay told him support like, how can you even And I'm saying what he said, what's stupid? But it's now to your point, being under the microscope with everything rock Nation. That's why I laugh. People think rock Nation has way more power than it does. And I'm telling you the people against rock Nation are doing way more smear campaigns than rock Nation is doing.
Speaker 2: Y'all.
Speaker 1: I could tell you, I'll give you some insight on rock Nation. From that standpoint, jay Z is hated amongst his peers because he's the only one that's famous. So, like, jay Z, what do you consider it's pierous when you said that, the CEOs of the labels Lucien Lucien, the see like they all are trying to kill his name because he beats them every time. And y'all got to spend two million to get with Jake has spent half a million again because he's j So they gonna always hate on us. So jay Z. I remember being in the staff meeting with the CEO of a company Swear to God, just says it in front of everybody. I say something about jay and they was like, nobody wins when they do business with Jay's like in front of them, Like, yall remember this, Like this is a CEO but major label talking in front of fifty of his employees. Nobody wins in business with jay Z. That's why we don't do business with him. He's the only one that wins.
Speaker 2: That's how he is.
Speaker 1: And it's like, why the fuck would you say that in the like, but that's the ship we're talking about. You have to somehow discredit him because the work. Let me tell y'all something, If Rock Nation gets one win the Big Three on Trouble.
Speaker 2: One, not not this version of rock Nation. I'm not talking.
Speaker 1: About with whole leading J Cole, this my little I'm talking about this staff, this team.
Speaker 5: If they break, something's over. The Title was the start of that, and that's why I I respect jay Z for so many things. Starting Title, to me was the most gangster shit he's ever done in his entire I thought that was a bad move.
Speaker 2: Fucking like boy.
Speaker 1: Why it didn't work out because now the reason I thought it was a bad move was because the way he did it.
Speaker 2: The marketing plan was the worst thing ever.
Speaker 1: So if jay Z would have started Title and said, I'm going to create a fun artist is going to eat from everyone type thing.
Speaker 2: But jay Z did what that.
Speaker 1: He has a famous line, less is more right, So he had so you pick, hand picked the people you want to be on this table with you, and now you got twelve of the biggest artists in the world. But the other nine hundred and ninety five that are out there like, we never fucking with you, we never And Title paid more than everybody else. But it was like, it's just about to say, you think about that. You know that artists out bro way more than anything about this. Why an artist not telling everybody to listen to the music on title, Well, because jay Z picked the artists that he wanted to represent title and that was the people that I was ushered and Nicki Minaj's, the people that signed the pay Alicia Keys, the people that owned it. Okay, I Prince, I think Prince was.
Speaker 3: No Prince was?
Speaker 4: Did I think Prince was after the release the press release?
Speaker 1: I know Madonnague I think he may have passed, like maybe the same year. Yeah, but I know madonad was.
Speaker 3: Prince was on stage.
Speaker 5: Hear me out, worst marketing plan ever when they had everybody on stage there, because as a consumer, we looked at it like, why are all these millionaires complaining? It was the same way when Talica did Napster and it was like like I was Metallica was, I was downloading the kaza.
Speaker 2: Metallica, I'm like, I know, kids money, I'm downloaded.
Speaker 5: This hit the marketing plan as as far as that of what it looked like to consumers, not what it was.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about what I'm a consumer.
Speaker 5: It's a bunch of millionaires up here telling me they not making enough money, which is true true, But Jay at that exact same time, was also dealing with Apple about to start Apple Music, and knew that Apple Music was going to start to do their exclusive deals.
Speaker 2: They did one with Chance, they did one with Drink.
Speaker 5: Everyone knew that these DSP wars were starting out as exclusive deals. You have to pay for my app to get that. So Jay At, being the genius that he is, is saying, Yo, Nikki, I will give you steak in this and we'll put all of our albums through this entire thing. And you know who, ironically, is the only one that ever stuck to that, not even Jay Jay didn't even stick to it.
Speaker 2: Beyonce.
Speaker 5: M you couldn't get lemonade off top. Beyonce is the only one that stuck to that motherfucking deal. If everyone stuck to that deal that was on that stage, we would be having a different conversation. And I don't know the backs, I don't know why they didn't, and it's not my business to know that.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 5: I'm saying what Jay was trying to do was one of the most gangster shit I've ever seen in my life. Going against the Big three period, like you're going against you're going against Spotify in the whole country of fucking Sweden at this point, if he would have gotten everyone to stick to that exclusive plan, he didn't even stick to it.
Speaker 2: I say, but why didn't he?
Speaker 1: Because they his wife is they know he was the only one that stuck to it.
Speaker 2: That's real.
Speaker 1: I just think I just think that that was a bad move. I think the way he did it was bad. I think he still I wish you didn't sell it because I.
Speaker 2: Think that I'm glady.
Speaker 1: I think that the time right now to get behind title because Spotify is kind of like the reversal now, raight, I hear you, But consumers are based on routine, and at that point everyone was scrambling to hey, are you on Spotify or you on Apple? Title would have been the time to do that if all of our favorite artists only had exclusive albums.
Speaker 5: On that point, we're too programmed. This is my phone. I got Apple Music, Spotify. If you bring me a new DSP, I'm not signed up for it. But like, I'm just not.
Speaker 1: What if every artist said to you, What if every artist said, we don't we know you don't care where you listen to music Spotify, Apple, Twitter or whatever, But if you listen on title.
Speaker 2: It means more to so please good a title.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 5: No, that's where you get Patreon, That's where you get those those paywall things that are important. I'm saying Jay was trying to do something that we complain about. Why don't artists have unions? Why don't everyone do it? Jay tried to do that, and no one stuck to the plant. And again I think Jay had horrible marketing with that. Yeah, that's what I don't have my guys with the masks on telling me they're poor, Like I just I'm.
Speaker 1: Cool, we're poor, which you guys own private jets. We don't want to feel sorry for none of you. Yeah, like I don't want to see Diplo tell me about the ship. I'm just saying that he tried, and that time is past.
Speaker 2: It's over.
Speaker 5: It's Spotify and Apple, and that's just the world that we live in the same way that it went from HBO go now it's Max now, it's everything is just falling under the same everybody.
Speaker 2: Trying to figure out what they're going to be. We don't know yet.
Speaker 1: Everybody's like, I don't think the music business though, we still try to figure out.
Speaker 2: I think Iceman is going to tell.
Speaker 4: Us, well, I want to think that's supposed to put. I cannot wait until this album come out because I want to have a conversation with you.
Speaker 2: Bro, liter Cup anytime, and y'all come to that Lanta.
Speaker 1: We follow each other like, Bro, y'all, I love this shit because y'all are peerist. No matter what, I like peerists like keep it pure.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, don't.
Speaker 1: Don't dilute the waters for yourself because that's cheating. Like, just keep it pure, bro, Like, as long as it's pure. Everybody got a chance to win. It's like sports. It's like just gets nigga. Everybody get a chance to win. Don't just cheat for one person.
Speaker 4: We're gonna were gonna have a good We're gonna have a conversation once this Iceman album dropped. I'm coming back once everything happens, please, Like, I can't. I can't wait to sit next to Ray and then have another conversation about you know, everything that has transpired.
Speaker 2: You know he've from the Bronx on the Love Really Patterson projects.
Speaker 3: Nah.
Speaker 1: I went to PSA team, I graduated, I went to one eighty three middle school, junior high school. I left the Bronx when I was twelve, right after my twelve birthday. Oh wow, and I talk like that I loved. Let me tell you something I loved. I was in New York, New York, New York from twelve to fourteen. When I came to some of that Biggie dropped, Juicy dropped. That's summer. Biggie had New York on fire. I came to see my family. I was New York all day. I hang around my cousins. They like, you old country motherfucker. And I was like, damn, like I'm representing you, ain't you country ass nigga? That was like shit, I might as well be from Atlanta. Y'all are gonna represent. I can't represent. And I always say, bro, if you go to passing projects right now, you might run into a cousin of mine. Might one out of a million chances maybe. But if you go anywhere in Atlanta, Georgia and you say my name, they all see me grind. That's why I claim Atlanta, because that's why I became a man. But I did see the bronx hustling. I do come from something from early early DNA years. And I'll tell people I think I'm great at music because I grew up in the New York in the eighties, so I've seen the block party turn into hip hop being what it is. And then I left atlant for Atlanta in ninety one and now I'm watching Atlanta flourish and I'm also seeing New York flourish. So I had that point, but I wanted to tell you something real quick. So I'm the creative director of the cut. It's a haircut out and I appreciate you guys. You know so we got jacket for you, but I want to for I got this for you. I got one in my pocket. I'm gonna show y'all. I'm gonna offer that. Listen, I'm gonna get this to my guys. I only even hold on. I think I'm here go free haircuts for a year, oh wow for you. Free and rory for you too. So all you gotta do is all you gotta do a tough cut. It's fun, no no. But what I'm saying, as many times you want to get your haircut, that's your gold card. All you gotta do is you can say with the same barber. All you gotta do is tell your barber the download the app he should already. We got three hundred thousand barbers on the app. Tell him to download the app. Every time you get a haircut. He pressed the button. You said it with him, he gets paid. You don't have to cover nothing. So yeah, free haircuts on me, man. I just want to thank y'all for having me on y'all show.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you. Yeah, because I'm gonna get I'm gonna get my barbered.
Speaker 1: You don't love you, by the way the spire and by the way listen, and I'm gonna tell y'all, y'all if y'all shout it out time to time, I shout it from time to time, we might give y'all another year and another year.
Speaker 2: Like come on, brother like and.
Speaker 1: If you ever want to do something in the community, give haircuts to your neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Anything with haircuts, barbering, call us.
Speaker 3: We got you.
Speaker 5: They climb me a lot because my barber is also Jake Coles barber Sam by the way here.
Speaker 1: And we have you can do house calls too, Okay, Yeah, I don't know. If you're out of town, anywhere you go anywhere you need a haircut, I'm the fucking you on Africa wherever you go use that.
Speaker 5: Barbara gonna find you come cut your hair on us. The cut the cut, and if my barber signs up for this, I could use that. You probably already on there, but all you gotta do is sign up for that. And when you get his haircut, he gets paid. All your money gonna pay him that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, cool, this is dope. Thanks for having me, man. I just want to appreciate you'all for having Ray. I appreciate you. We're gonna talk to you a man.
Speaker 5: Please come back after the show. We definitely want to go on your platform.
Speaker 1: Listen anytime y'all in Atlanta, y'all come pull up, coming to talk.
Speaker 3: I'm coming.
Speaker 2: I like talking shit, you know, I like talking shit, and I love it. I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: I'm glad we finally got a chance to sit down and talk. Appreciate everything you bring to the coach old conversations and keep the knowledge all of the Jews that you drop.
Speaker 1: That's Ray Daniels.
Speaker 3: I'm that nigga.
Speaker 1: He's just ginger.
Speaker 3: Peace.