Speaker 1: I'm Tamika D.
Speaker 2: Mallory and it shit Boy my son in general.
Speaker 1: We are your host of TMI.
Speaker 2: Tamika and my Son's Information, Truth, Motivation.
Speaker 1: And Inspiration, New Energy. What's up, my son, Lennon, How you doing today?
Speaker 2: I am blessing Holly favored Tmika D.
Speaker 3: Malory.
Speaker 1: How You'm doing fine?
Speaker 4: Celebrating my granddaughter's second birthday, which is really they grows so fast. Yeah, she's definitely growing fast. She's growing fast, and she has taken on the personality of a lot of us. I can't just say her parents because I can see myself as well. She really does not like to be touched.
Speaker 1: Or talked to too much, and.
Speaker 4: I can say that I'm kinda like that, souh.
Speaker 1: She's not really anti social.
Speaker 4: She's fine when she gets calm and she's good. She'll move all around, she'll talk, she'll sing, she dance. She just doesn't want you to put your physical hands on her. And she doesn't want.
Speaker 2: Already a German, she know you got germs. She learns from you already.
Speaker 1: She just doesn't want you to do too much.
Speaker 4: That's it, like she wants everything to be demir demure already at her little bitty age she's like, but then again, she's not that demure because she knows how to get up on this stuff and things.
Speaker 1: She's just different. She's different.
Speaker 4: She has many different personalities because I think all of us we have different things going on. She could be very jovial and sweet and happy and laughing and whatnot. But if you start touching her, she's like, no, that's not I'm not into that. So it's interesting to watch her grow up. But I will say that it's also just kind of interesting, I feel like for me as a parent who well, first of all, one other than Blair. Turning to the other thing that happened in my life. In the last few days, I had a conversation with the legal department of my publishing company for my new book, and the you know a woman was like, listen, this book is amazing.
Speaker 1: I read it.
Speaker 4: It's the second or maybe the third person from the publishing company who really doesn't have like a stake in the game.
Speaker 1: Like they don't. It's up to you. This is your book.
Speaker 4: This is what you want to say, obviously, between yourself and whatever your you know, whoever your support team, management, you know, your your particular publishing brand like Black Privilege Publishing is my particular publishing publishing company.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's another word for it.
Speaker 4: Back It escapes me at this moment, but you know, I'm you know, if long as he Charlotte Magne is happy with the content and the editor obviously who is there, I'll shout out to Nick to monitor what is is in the content that's in there.
Speaker 1: As long as they are okay with it.
Speaker 4: The legal team's responsibility is to look at it to make sure that there's no reason why you're going to get in trouble, right, And so, you know, when I was speaking to her today and she's like, listen, the last couple of days excuse me, and she was like, oh, you know, the book is really really good.
Speaker 1: And a few other people said.
Speaker 4: The same thing that have responsibilities like printing, like they don't have anything to really do with it, but they just went through it because they saw it and they read it. And she asked me, hey, you know, is everybody in your life okay with the things that you're saying in this book? And as she was saying that to me, I was just thinking about like all the different personalities and the stories, and I can see where my granddaughter picks up so much from us over the years, over time, my sister. My attitude, you know, sharing is very particular, and you can already you see that Blair is going in that direction. And one of the other things in the book that kind of like, you know, I just I write a lot about the challenges that I face with being a young mother, the things that I wish I could go back and do, so now here I am getting an opportunity to try to make right on some of the things that I didn't know and didn't do properly back in the other days twenty five years ago. And I look at her and I'm just like, wow, I'm actually able to monitor like the seconds, which is very different from when you're raising a kid and you're twenty something years old yourself.
Speaker 1: You don't you know, You're.
Speaker 4: Trying to take on chunks of life at a time, like gotta figure out where I'm gonna work, Gotta figure out where I'm gonna live, got to figure out all of that. And now I'm not in that situation, so I'm actually able to sit there and look at her little bitty details, her little bitty self in the seconds and it's just very very it's very interesting. I'll just say that. But you know, like I said, the lawyers, like.
Speaker 1: Is everybody okay with this?
Speaker 4: Because she's like when you rode in here and some stuff about your mom and your relationship with her, I'm like, oh, yeah, my mother stands by everything she said, everything she did. And my granddaughter seems like she's gonna be a little bit like, oh Mama, no.
Speaker 2: I mean that sounds interesting because I be feeling the same way, Like when I talk to my grandson and I just look at him. You just able to You see things from a different lens than when you're just a young parent and you just raising a kid and this and that. Now you have a lot more experience, right, so you see certain things, you see yourself, you see them, you see certain personalities, you know, you see certain things that you need to God, you need to get in front of, you know. So it's a way different perspective.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very different, it's true. And you're more mature exactly. You see things you need to get in front of, you do. And so I'm not upset with her for not wanting people to touch her. I hope she maintains that for a real long time. But the way in which she responds about it, we have to figure out how to let her know, like you don't just go slap the person over the head or knock their hand off. You kind of have to learn how to be able to articulate. She's only two. I get it, But now that I'm older, I realize only two is not My grandmother was on it at only two, right, so at only two?
Speaker 2: Remember two? I don't remember too well.
Speaker 4: It's not that I remember when I was too but I remember how she dealt with all the two year olds coming. And I specifically know how my aunts, who were like my grandmother's because they're older, old much older women, how even with my son at two years old, they were like, uh uh, we don't do this, We don't do that. He needs to learn how to sit down like actually, and that was a thing that they really worked on. And I will always say, I would you know how you get mad at your family's house and leave. I packed my son up and be like we're not staying over here with all of this attitude, Like he can't run around. He runs around like that's what he does. He's a boy. But now I understand discipline starts at a whole different place and if you don't do it, then it just gets worse and worse and worse over time.
Speaker 1: So you know. But anyway, she's only two.
Speaker 4: She's fine, she's cute, she's sweet as has so sweet. But I just know I'm maturing. It's not even about her in the way in which I see life. So that's what I was doing. I was doing my book, Final Final, Final, book, copyright edits looking over what they suggest where they made changes, if they made any at all, which is not many. They just helped me to, you know, make sure I'm crystallizing my points and you know, and things like that. But that's what I'm doing, is doing that and also enjoying the fact that my granddaughter's in New York.
Speaker 2: Shout out to that, and that's love, you know me. I'm a soccer dad. So both both of my sons played in the tournament this weekend and it was like really intense games. We've almost got in fights at both of the games, but you know, and they went to Cameron went to the championship and lost in overtime pretty much, so they do they have penalty they have penalty kicks. So what they do is they you gotta it's one person faces the goalie and he just kicks it, and then they do it with all five players and whoever has the most wins at the end of the game. So they lost by one kick, you know, So it was it was a really really good game. You know, they was a little upset, but they came in second place, you know, but I watched them just wheel theirselves into you know, playing that hard. It was down like they was down by one zip, but then they tied it up and they was down to one and then they tied it up and then they went to overtime. So they was they was fighting the whole the whole way, and the goalie of the other team really like he made an amazing save for them to win by at one point, because one they go our goalie, you know, like he's damning professional, and he kicked the ball and it almost went in and he goalie tapped it and it hit like the top, but it didn't go into the net. So they won by that really pretty much, that one goal. So it was it was dope. And then Keston just he was just having a good weekend. You know, he played with two different teams this weekend and ended up coming in second with one of the teams.
Speaker 4: So you got you have you have an eventful time. You know, people who are in youth sports almost like this.
Speaker 1: Is like grown.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's a thing.
Speaker 1: It's grown people. I hear. It's very expensive.
Speaker 2: It's very expensive. Yes, very expensive.
Speaker 3: Real.
Speaker 4: My friends are like wow, like And what happens is with a lot of especially friends that I have, that they don't have a like a husband or a boyfriend or whatever, or family that really supports them. You never it's hard to think about people who don't have family that supports them at all. And I have friends that have that. And then they got their kids in three things, it's very difficult. They've run, run, They never have time at home.
Speaker 2: Now they don't. They don't like you want to do stuff, and then you get up you got to drive an hour two hours to the game.
Speaker 4: That what happened to the van used to be that you put the kids on the van and they go and they come back and their legs.
Speaker 2: You get your kids to the game and shout out.
Speaker 4: To my father because he probably said no, no, no, there wasn't that he might have rode on the van, but I followed.
Speaker 1: The van because he did.
Speaker 4: My thought of the day today, I tell you, man, I mean, you know, I'm so I said this. I think last week I talked about being so ready for this election to be over with because you know, I just I I feel like at this point, I'm you know, I'm starting to feel that feeling that I don't want to feel, and I fight against it of just not wanting to communicate with be in relationship with people who I think support something that I know is very dangerous for me, especially as a woman. And I think that's at a point in life, we all come to a place where, you know, we have to think about ourselves too, right, Like, yes, we think about the greater good of everybody, but then we also think about ourselves.
Speaker 1: And I find it.
Speaker 4: I kind of feel like I sit in a place as a Black woman where for our entire existence, we as women, especially you know, as black women, we have always had to consider everybody in every decision that we need. That's just the way it is. We've considered the whole, not just Black women, black men, and our children, but we've considered white folk and other communities, like, that's just always what we have done. If you have a lookout at protests and you know things like that, like advocacy or whatever, you will always know that, especially at a protest, if you just count the number of people, women generally will out number everybody you know, will outnumber everybody.
Speaker 1: Black women. We just do.
Speaker 4: That's that's always been our role. And so then at some point you kind of sit back and you look at yourself and then you're like, Okay, what do we also need in order to survive, not just succeed, but to survive. And when you do that, it makes you start to look at people around you very different, you know, because then it's kind of like, well, how do you have my best interest at heart?
Speaker 1: And I feel like, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I, in this particular moment, am starting to slip into a place of not wanting to have relationships with folks who I know have heard and understand and it's been articulated to them well enough, why this particular moment and this particular election season is extremely dangerous. And I would send back thinking to myself, I don't like this division of black men and black women, and I want us to be real careful about it. I think that as a black woman, I am not a black man. So I see men like you and others speaking on some of the issues with black men, and I think that's okay, because there's going to be a difference of opinion. People are going to have how I feel, how do they feel. But in the shoes that I sit in, when I have people out there in the world who are clearly, very very very much so targeting me as a woman in their talking points, in their campaign, in their ideology, in their agenda, and other folks are not looking at that saying well, this is a problem for me, or at least and at least I'll speak up about it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: I think one of the hardest things has been to watch folks give and to repeat or to talk about their feelings about this particular election. And I'm not just talking about black men. I'm talking about all communities. I hear people talking about their feelings about this election, and they never even mentioned, well, one of the things that I don't like, or one of the things that I am very uncomfortable with, is this idea that we as men, and especially white men, have the right to make decisions about women's bodies, right, I don't even hear that, and I was. I had a conversation with a friend of yours actually about why when I look at your social media every day, I see you disrespecting Kamala Harris the same way that this white man is calling her stupid, calling her dumb, calling her an idiot. I don't understand why that's okay for you as a man, period. I don't care whether she's black or not. I do not understand why men, right, all men do not look at the disrespect of a woman and say I don't care if she's black, white, green, or orange, but especially if she's black.
Speaker 1: I'm not okay with that.
Speaker 4: And it's certain language that I will never use to describe any woman. I'm not gonna call you stupid and dumbing an idiot, right, I'm going to I might say, I don't believe that this woman is prepared to do this job. I don't believe that she has the skill set. But you know what happened. I sat back, and I realized that some people are really limited in their own thinking, like their own IQ is not that high, so the only thing they know to do is to disrespect and degrade other.
Speaker 2: Folks, and that's why they attracted the Trump right.
Speaker 4: And then that's what made me say, I am in a space where I don't think I can continue to have relationships with certain folks that I realize don't really respect or love or even care about women. They might like you as a friend that they see and talk to from time to time, but they.
Speaker 1: Don't respect you.
Speaker 4: They don't respect your leadership, They don't respect us and the challenges that we face as women in our society. And the last point that I realized is like, wow, how can I expect men in general? Again, this is not a Black male thing. It's just men in general to respect women when there are still denominations, even within the Black Church, and other places that don't even have women in the pulpit, that don't even have women in positions of leadership leadership.
Speaker 1: In their churches.
Speaker 4: So I just, you know, I don't know, it's a long drawn out thought, but I feel like I'm at a place where while I said I wasn't gonna let this happen, and now here we are, and I know there's certain people I can't continue to have relationships with.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a real thing, and you know, and I think. What I also think is we have to teach and allow people to grow to a certainty and you don't have to you don't have to be in that season or that space, right because what I had to learn is about patriarchy and misogyny. I had to learn what that was. I didn't understand what it was. And as you learn and you grow, and you realize how that affects not just you but the people around you, right, the woman that you say you respect. When when you speak about a woman in the manner and you and not acknowledging that your mother or your sister, or your grandmother or your wife or just people that's close to you, you this is a reflection of how they might think that you feel about them, right and innate and deeply, you know how we say it covertly, this is actually how you feel. You don't express it to them because you know, these are certain people that you actually value because you in close proximity to them, but as a whole, you don't really value them. So like when you have a conversation and you're saying that Kamala is not prepared or she's not qualified, it's for me. It's like, I don't even know how that conversation it comes out of your mouth. Because when you look, when you look at the accomplishments that this lady has, they.
Speaker 4: Say way to the top, which is what they say about me, about almost everyone.
Speaker 2: But that's what I'm trying to say, like black one that ever was. But the thing is, she's not sleeping byself, right, So that's what I'm trying to tell you. So when you say she slept her way to the top, there might have been people that was lower than her that she probably slept with that she helped get in position. Right. There might be the dynamics of who you deal with. Always, relationships help certain things, but you are qualified and prepared when you get to the top, right. And I'm not saying she did. The whole thing I'm trying to say is when you look at somebody who went from being a lawyer to DA Right to being a senator to be in all these things, those things you just can't. You don't just get in those positions, right, You don't just keep those positions. You don't just innovate certain programs. You don't come up with ideologies and things that are the first groundbreaking in your arena because you just slept your way to the top. No, that that's just not a real thing. It's just is just not a real thing. And the fact that you can say that and when you look at the person that she's running against, right, really has no accomplishments. It's just like, this is somebody who is born with a silver spoon and was giving money, you know, and made a couple of lucky things, and for the most part hasn't even excelled at that. Right, They've been able to scam and trick you. Right, this is this is what it is. It's like, it's like when we look at the era that we're in, we're in the era of the troll. Right, the troll is successful. I can name you five dudes that's millionaires on the internet that don't that can't even survive in real life, like dudes that you look at on the internet, and these dudes is supposedly popping in real life in the jungle way I had to survive. These dudes could not survive five minutes. They couldn't They could not go through the trenches, they could not go through what it takes to overcome and go through trials and tribulations and come from nothing. They just couldn't. They were not they aren't prepared for that. So when you look at this, the person who she's running against, that's one of those individuals, right, that's one of those individuals that never really was faced with adversity, that's always had something to bail them out, that's always had somebody to bail them out. So when you compare it too, it's like and then you and then you you try to downgrade the little HUDs just like that's it's just insane. So when you realize that, you just have to say that people evolve at different rates, and some people it's gonna be some people, like just like when we talk about Uncle Lou, right, we talk about Dale Hughley. These were people that were that had sipped the tea at first and had to come back and apologize, right right, They actually had to come back and said, now I brought into what they said about YA brought and I started doing my research and I started listening. Then we had a conversation. I was like, damn, I was so wrong. You know, everybody can't see the forest from the trees, so what I try to give a lot of people grace because I know that a lot of people are not leaders to me and understanding that when you're a leader, you have to come from position in leadership and say, I know you don't understand, So I'm gonna be a lot more patient with you. It's gonna be a time with my patience whereas then. But right now, I'm gonna walk you through and I'm gonna educate you. I'm gonna give you all the information for you to change your perspective or be able to make a knowledge knowledgeable, you know, understanding of what you're saying. But until then, I try to do I did my best.
Speaker 4: I try to do that with another one of your friends that you love and I love as well. I try to educate, but I just know that's It's a very interesting thing when you see that a lot of people don't know that they just have a lot of misogyny in their heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because misogyny is is embedded in within this culture. You know what I'm saying. It's a white supremacy thing, and black men who want to have power, they feel like that's what they need.
Speaker 1: In order to have you have to put somebody down in order to rise.
Speaker 4: So you know, I could go We could go on because I had a lot to say, but I think we got to do our team I because our guests is coming in and we got a man with the very important schedule in New York City, And so I wanted to do this TMI today because when I woke, let me tell you, we have the right to change our minds.
Speaker 1: Isn't that something fact?
Speaker 4: We have the right to evolve in seconds, in millions, in the hours of a day, you can actually evolve.
Speaker 1: I thank God for evolution.
Speaker 4: I thank God for the freedom to start one way in the morning and later on that day say you know what I thought about that I processed it.
Speaker 1: And that's why it's important.
Speaker 4: I get that we want to speak because there's things happening and you want to speak, But sometimes it takes a little while to digest and to sink in, and once it sinks in, you might come back with a different response.
Speaker 1: So check this out on my TMI today.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about young dro what took place on the Breakfast Club. He was on there with TI. They obviously had some other brothers with them that were in the studios on the couch, you know, in the in the room and watching the show actually in their space. And I know you saw this, and many people who are listening saw Young drou was attempting to explain about his addiction issues and overcoming addiction. And let me just say, very important to say. Even in this process of writing this book, and I know I've talked about addiction many times because I feel it's free.
Speaker 1: It frees me a lot to get it out. It is not easy.
Speaker 4: The first time that I actually said it, or wrote it, or and put it out there in the world, I literally felt like I was going to puke, Like I felt so scared right the stages of going to rehab and all of that. That shit is terrible. It is very very hard. And trying to articulate it in public, I would imagine, especially as a strong man, and trying to articulate that in a rum of other people, it is not easy to do on camera knowing a bunch of people are listening. So Young Droe was trying to you know, he was articulating his story, and they laughed, they joked, you know, as he's trying to get it out, everybody's being funny. He was being funny, but it came a time when it wasn't funny anymore. And this gentleman who was with them, sitting right behind them, he continued to laugh. Now I appreciate the fact that the brothers on the set, particularly TI, I shut it down because they was getting ready to get into a fight about him laughing, and they shut it down. But I wanted to just tell you how evolution of the mind. So the brother is giggling back there, ke keying about something that at this point they moved past the laughing. You gotta know when things are not funny anymore. And young Droe was trying to explain his story. He starts talking about his daughter being addicted. At the point that he mentioned his daughter all better off. Nobody needs to be laughing because now he's opening up about some real serious shit, and the young man giggles, and so he turns around and says to him, you want me to slap you, And the two of them get into an exchange of you ain't gonna slap me with what you want to do, And of course, as I said T, I shut it down and was like, stop it no more cool. So when I saw it this morning, I was like, Yeah, I would have told him I'm gonna slap you too, because this is some bullshit, like it's not funny, right. But by the time I sat with that thing all day, I realize, and I'm not saying young drou is wrong. I think different people come from different perspectives. I understand his vulnerability, I get it. But what I have to what I now am trying to do in my life is think about what can I how can I respond even to somebody else's ignorance in a way that diffuses versus makes a situation go from zero to one hundred. So this little thing about I'm gonna slap you on air, well, what you're gonna do?
Speaker 1: Well, what we're gonna do with what's in that? And you know how it can end up.
Speaker 4: Somebody could end up dead, Somebody could end up in a big fight, friendships are broken up forever. It could be all types of scenarios, and it particularly violent scenarios to come from that one moment. So my evolution by the end of the day because I do believe as a TAMI that old boy was doing too much, too much in that moment, but I also can see how to turn around and say to him, hey man, I'm not joking anymore. Is much more evolved than to say I'm gonna slap you. So I just want to say today to Mika Mallory.
Speaker 1: Grew up in a few hours.
Speaker 4: Today, I went from I'm gonna slap you to hey man, cut it out.
Speaker 1: I'm serious.
Speaker 2: Now that's a press That's a real life process for me, right Like I've had to evolve in seconds because I take disrespect, you know, very strong, because I respect you so much, so when you disrespect me, I used to feel like I had to impose, you know. I used to think my old turn to violence was more violence because I understood that if you knew I was willing to be more violent than you was, then you would not want violence with me. So that was my mentality. So now I have to diffuse things that I normally wouldn't. And I remember for you to make me feel like I'm being soft, And I used to listen to people my little brothers have teasing me you soft now before you went and deal with that, and I'd be like it needs to make me feel a way. But now I realize that I'm a grown adult man and I'm evolved, and I can and I can think, I can outthink a situation. You know, I know how to protect myself. I have to, but I'm not trying to initiate any violence with somebody that I don't have to because I could just stay away from you, right, I could literally just keep you out of my circumference because if you if I allow you to dictate my actions, then you controlled me and I don't control. So that that was a level of evolution. When I hear you say that, I remember times that that would have been my response, but now I know that normally that's my response.
Speaker 4: Now the TMI slash to my you're doing too much segment of the day is we're going from I'm gonna slap you to chill out right, you.
Speaker 1: Gotta learn how to diffuse.
Speaker 4: And again we're not saying I know, I'm not saying that I don't understand young dro and that he was not he was wrong, because I don't think he was wrong.
Speaker 1: I think the other brother was absolutely in the wrong.
Speaker 4: But at some point we have to recognize that if we don't know how to control our response to ignorance, we could end up killing people or being killed because it could just go that far, especially when two men feel disrespected in an environment where millions of people are watching. So that's it, you know, I just I figured that on today I could pat myself on the back a little bit from because in the morning time I was like, yeah, I'm telling you, I would have got up.
Speaker 1: I would have.
Speaker 4: Said up to fives told I told people, I said, you know what, And by the now I'm like, okay, maybe I should shouldn't think that way.
Speaker 2: And that's why they teach us to our first judgment.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, that's the principles dangerous.
Speaker 4: That's the that's in the the principles of non violence that Carmen Perez can introduce us King of nonviolence, that which was doctor King's principles to suspend your first judgment and gather more information, which the short version of that is sit still and be quiet for a second. Yeah, you gotta be quiet for a second, because that's another thing. Even I don't even know if you have to say chill out, you could just be quiet and don't speak anymore. To see it, the person will catch up to the fact that what you're doing is distracting me from a serious situation.
Speaker 2: I say that all the time, that they are people in prison for life over things They wasn't mad at three days.
Speaker 1: Later, right, they don't even remember what what happened.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even mad at. They're not mad and none of it no more. But you got life in prison because immediate energy.
Speaker 4: We know somebody in prison right now that or in jail rather right now, young guy just you know, probably had every reason to be upset at, every reason to respond. But to your point, mean you said something powerful. Now the situation controlled you. You didn't control the situation. So you sitting in the jail over something that if you could do it all over again, you wouldn't even be having the first conversation that led to the second conversation, let alone the second conversation.
Speaker 1: It's just we gotta do a little bit better.
Speaker 4: And I do know one thing to circle all the way back to my granddaughter.
Speaker 1: They learn what you teach them, what you do, what you say.
Speaker 4: And me and my son will say to me in the drop of a dime, we'd be out somewhere and he'd be like, oh, oh, all of a sudden, you just let people just do and say anything to you, And that's because he grew up with me as a young girl who wherever we was at, if anybody did or say anything, we was yelling, I'm getting it, popping with him in toe and so he learned that behavior. So now trying to do things different with my granddaughter, that's not what I want her to see as an example of how I respond to things, you know what I mean, so that she could learn it different, because sure enough, my mama taught me how to pop off when it was time to pop off. To listen, let's get our guests in here. We don't want this brother to leave us, but I appreciate I appreciate this show and how much it does for us to be able to talk and learn and evolve together. So let's bring our guests today. Is absolutely no stranger to our show and just to being out in the streets. I know earliest day y'all were out together somewhere, my son and our public advocate Jimani Williams. Y'all were out with k Bane out in Brooklyn at the Human Justice March.
Speaker 1: Indigenous People's that.
Speaker 4: That's what's up, And Jimani, I feel like you know, for us, we always have friends that are doing incredible things.
Speaker 1: On this show.
Speaker 4: Last week we had l Joy Williams, who right now, when I look at the insights of how many people watched what she was talking about, we're up to like sixty thousand people who paid attention to this woman talking about a guide a journal that she has created on a voting plan, like how to create a voting plan. So people are paying attention. And I say all the time that in chaos we have found one another, which.
Speaker 1: Is a beautiful thing.
Speaker 4: You know, it's unfortunate, it's painful because I think the first time I met you might have been a protest, might have been something highly Probably when's the first time you met Jimani my son?
Speaker 2: He was at a protest? I don't know, it was definitely at a protest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, So we appreciate you for being it's really nice.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Did the news yep? Thank you for coming by today?
Speaker 2: Me neither. I just put it on and she just copied.
Speaker 4: Not in copy. I just got dressed and that's that. But I think great minds thinking, like so Indigenous People's Day today, we don't celebrate Christopher Columbus Day.
Speaker 2: You go, Wallace and my little brother, you know, but you.
Speaker 4: Know, I think in this time that we're in UH in America when we think about Indigenous People's Day, and we know that so that the Indigenous community is still not respected and honored properly UH in the society. And it just makes me think think about how many of our people, or people just all over America feel so displaced, so dishonored, so mistreated. And so I do know that while Indigenous People's Day is supposed to be this celebratory moment, there are a lot of people who are suffering and who want to make sure that today is about us remembering them in your spirit and their struggles.
Speaker 5: No, for sure, theres a lot of people watch it, so I want to be clear. You know, I don't mind celebrating heritage as well, So I just whoever's watching they say crazy stuff.
Speaker 1: That's not Christopher Columbus.
Speaker 5: Columbus a right, and the reason they attached themselves to Columbus because when they got had they was getting lynched and stuff too. But they always, you know, everybody wants proximity to what they think helps them in America, so they try to attach themselves to this man never discovered this country and usher in some of the worst genocidal massacres we've ever seen.
Speaker 3: So I don't mind.
Speaker 5: Celebrating that, but we have to celebrate in the people people's day, and we have to do you know, there'll be anything attached to Christopher Columbus at all.
Speaker 3: It's it's insane.
Speaker 5: I guess it's not because we pushing somebody to be president that probably comes in that same vein, but to be celebrating this person the way we do, it's just it's incredible to me, even first of all, celebrating him on a lie, like he didn't even do the thing you said, he.
Speaker 3: It's a whole lie.
Speaker 5: And then the things he did was just horrendous, and people look at folks who are saying, look, let's just not celebrate him. Somehow we're crazy, and so you experience that people it's just wild and said, I just don't want to celebrate that man all this and that. What are you talking about? Why would you celebrate this person?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 5: There's a local council member I tried to I haven't really said anything. I don't want to make it hot, but you know, a shout out to Justin Brandon. He just unfortunately he got kicked out of the Italian the Italian what is it, the Italian City Council.
Speaker 3: Club, the club.
Speaker 1: They kicked him out committee.
Speaker 5: Committee just because he said, let's try to celebrate Italian heritage, but not this man, and they just kicked him out. But shout out to him for standing tall. I hope I don't get him in more heat for saying this, But you know, I just I want to be like, I recognize that, and that's not easy to do.
Speaker 3: But the fact that somebody can just say I don't want to.
Speaker 5: Sell a murderous, horrific person and attach that to my heritage, and somehow that that should be the norm, that should be what we're doing. And so it's all but you know, it's unfortunate, but I see where we're at now in this country anyway.
Speaker 3: It's a kind of track.
Speaker 2: And that brings me to my question, like, in this season, as a black man, how are you feeling because we are dealing with so many different things. You know, we're dealing with this presidential election, we're dealing with someone who's damn near Christopher Columbus, right, the modern day Christopher Columbus, and you being a public advocate a part of a government, like, how are you feeling? And how are you like? What are the thought processes that you have?
Speaker 5: Man, it's just stunning to me to see a Donald Trump like and he's getting quote unquote dark and dark as we get close, Like the things he is saying are just like he's not like, I don't I'm just saying, whatever can give you permission to dislike who you dislike anyway, I'm gonna say that. And it's getting worse and worse. We get there and it's and it's it seems to be working for those folks.
Speaker 4: So you want a white man on a do you want a black person or a white man?
Speaker 1: I think you want a white man.
Speaker 4: That's one of his latest at least one of the latest clips that's out there.
Speaker 5: But it's not like, but he has been who he is forever, like this is who he said he was and people want this and you go through history, there's.
Speaker 3: A playbook of these type of leaders that.
Speaker 5: Have done some of the worst things in history, and he's just he's playing that book to the t like reality is crazy. Do you see this last thing about the hurricanes in Florida? People are literally putting death threats against meteorologists and Manjie Taylor Green and some of the MAGA leaders and Trump are telling these folks that these meteorologists are creating the weather, are changing the weather, Like what is happening right anything except climate change? But you look at this like you know, people are literally believing this, Like I don't I want facts to make a comeback.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they'll make.
Speaker 2: It before No, definitely, How do you.
Speaker 5: Somebody they should? How do you all with somebody like this sky is blue and like, no it's not.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 5: I have trouble figuring that out. Like I respect people who disagree with me and we have an argument. But if I'm telling you this like this, this this is orange, like nah, yo, it's black because it's such I don't know how to talk.
Speaker 2: That's the space I'm in. That's the real space you have question no, no, no. As a black man, right when you see when you see not just the you know somebody telling you when you go to your page and you go to other page, because my page is full with black men trying to explain to me why they're with Trump, Like how does that even make you feel?
Speaker 5: So what I try to do in these situations, I feel every like I feel the emotions and I try to unpack them and I try to make sure I'm understanding someone's journey to the space they got through so I can help because I can help figure this out and the trauma that as you know, I mean, I'm a part of Democratic Party. They have been part of the problem. Like there's just no way around that. And part of being part of the problem has driven some of these black men to these spaces. But I have to like when I try to push back, like I understand your pain, I don't understand how you think this is the answer. So I tell them, folks, you know, don't jump out of the frying pan into the fire. This is not what's going to be sisus. As I said at the march, like whatever issue I have with Kamala Harris, we can have a conversation and we can push her. This man has literally said I'm going to take the United States on me and crush any descent that comes out, any protests. How is that even handed comparison of problems. I don't I disagree here, but we're gonna talk. I'm gonna crush any kind of descent that you have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, but see, let me push that, right, because I think that I was having a conversation with Congressman Jamal Bawman today and for sure, and I told him that the feeling of conflict that exists within me in this moment is more than I've ever vote in my life. Because on one hand, we say like we can push them, and I know we can. I mean, I understand who we're dealing with. Obviously. I actually know, you know, Vice President Harris. I've met her, and so I know that I know a little bit more about her compassion around certain things. And I also have as a black woman, I certainly have a lot of hope and belief in what I believe a black woman, especially a black woman from Howard, a black woman who's an AKA.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of things that you.
Speaker 4: Know your wife Indians she is an AKA as well, And there's a lot of hope that I have there, right, And so that's that we put that to the side. But just thinking about America in general, being in a country where students who are protesting under this administry, a democratic administration, are being beat up bloody for protesting. What is happening to the Palestinian people. How do we make people understand the difference in these two scenarios when he's saying he's gonna crush descent and Descent is actually being crushed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, First of all, you know how I feel that it was all wrong and the Columbia president, I think sparked all that across the nation.
Speaker 3: How she handled that that was horrific.
Speaker 4: I think Columbia University of New York State City it.
Speaker 3: Would have been.
Speaker 5: And unfortunately there was a mayor more than willing to act like they were free and for Lojah when there was a bunch of students who were non violent protests. So that combination of that was terrible. But think about what that would have looked like under the Trump administration. What do you think would have happened under Trump administration and what they would have used to crush that descent even harder? And I like, I have that conflict in myself, and then I have to remember, like we keep we provide moral balances when there isn't this man, this is the the president. He was a president I States in America, and he's running again telling people that Hatians are eating Castenbill, his vice president, repeated was told that it's a lie and said, I'm going to continue lying about it because it helps me lift up issues. This is what we're dealing with on the other side. That's not even a comparison. I don't know what to do with that. I don't know how to get past that. I know here there's at least a lane of sanity that I can I can try to jest. I am tired of having due the lesson, like I'm really tired of that, and I don't know how many times I can do that. But there's an existential threat that exists that I don't know if its existed before. I know every time there's an election, people say this, but this dude is wild, is different, This is some other stuff like he's got the worst because that's the only lay he got, and people act, I'm gonna say some I don't. I don't want to get in trouble, but like I.
Speaker 3: Know, but they're looking at it.
Speaker 5: Like people act like the decisions of what you need to do right now, it's not real.
Speaker 1: Get mad, Let's move on, Okay, but let's move on.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying, when you have to make a decision right now, don't tell me that something is not worse than the other. It just is, like you could pretend that it's not. You could pretend, oh well, listen that. But if you have to make a decision and this one clearly it's worse, don't pretend that this is not. Just just let's not do that, please, because I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Say, we're not being honest with us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's all. Like if you God forbid, this is a horrible comparison. But I just have to say, if someone he was back in the time institution of slavery, it's a terrible I'm not gonna say, I'm not saying. I'm just saying, but if you somebody say this is the worst one, this is the better one.
Speaker 3: Don't pretend like that's not a difference.
Speaker 2: That's a big difference.
Speaker 1: Well, there was a difference.
Speaker 4: The difference was did you want to go in the house or did you want to be in the field.
Speaker 1: That was a difference to make.
Speaker 4: But I'm just saying people had to say, well, I'm just stand here and I got a snitch in order to stay here, or I gotta have sex with masters in order to stay here, because out there.
Speaker 2: There was actually but do you know what the reality is. And unfortunately there was different masters, right there were different and this is this is what I'm saying, Like there's a there's a reality that there was the master that was like, you know what, I ain't raping and I just want you all to do in the field. We're gonna do that. And then there was the one that was gonna beat you.
Speaker 3: And this is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And these are realities now you have to deal with and we still live in America because we still live in America, and America is is based on racism, It's based on those realities, it's based on war, it's based on you know, white supremacy. That's what we live at. Until we completely disman to white supremacy. We have to navigate it. We have to figure out how fuck do we navigate the white supremacy. This is what we're dealing with right now.
Speaker 5: We're dealing with people like no because like I know, like if God forbid, like the whole institution should be destroyed and we should work on that. But at that moment in time, if somebody said, for whatever reason, you have a choice of go to the described.
Speaker 2: This is the reality. Is this man I was locked up in prison. And if you was in prison in New York State, you know, if they chose asks you do you want to go to sing sing? Or do you want to go to Attica. Niggas is going to sing sings a sweeter of jail. It's still jail. We still want to but niggas, like everybody was trying to get the sing sing, we're trying to make right now, sing sing. This is the reality. I'm not trying to go to Attica where they got the babies. The white bears got the the black babies on their arms with nooses on their neck. They beating you in the shower as soon as you get off through they It's the most racist shit that you ever dealt with. This is the reality what we deal with. And I tell people all the time, I understand the threat of a Donald Trump. I told and this is the really shit that I really sat and thought about it. I was having a conversation at the march with a brother today and I was like, I literally was in the street from the first day of Donald Trump's presidency to the end of it. I was in the streets protesting. I had to fight for rights people dying every day, almost every day we was on the road having to deal with something in justice that was happening to our people. I've never experienced that for four years straight. I've never experienced anything like that. And I don't know, I don't know that I have the standin up at this point. I mean, I'm I'm tired, like I don't why. And and now he's more he's more skilled.
Speaker 3: And now the Supreme Court has said.
Speaker 2: The police community when we was outside and we was face to face with those officers in Louisville under Trump right now, them people could kill us, like literally could kill us.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing is, you know, when we look back at can I just.
Speaker 5: Say, I don't want to skip over that to people who are listening right because I'm like, I can't pretend that this is the answer to everything we ever wanted. I'm just saying right now as an up choice that we have to make, but it is a real choice.
Speaker 3: And let's not pretend that one choice.
Speaker 4: And it's not that we're I know, I know you're not saying that Kamala Harris is this terrible tran What we're talking about is the is the Democrats versus the Republicans that we find sign it's problematic. I mean, we know that, and I think we know what. If I was someone listening to us and I didn't hear us say this, I would turn it off because you're being disingenuous if you do not acknowledge that the Democrats and Republicans are like have some very very very significant problems. But this Maga thing is completely completely outside of what I think our communities are prepared to handle. And I tell you, in this conversation that I was having with Congressman Jamul Bowman, he said, I said to him, he said, some people feel like we're on the brink of a civil war. Like that's how people feel, right, and people are really worried about that. And when he's talking to constituents, that's what they're saying. We feel like there is a war that is brewing. And I said, what makes me feel scared is I don't know where all of our what side all of our.
Speaker 1: People will end up on. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know that as a black woman that I can depend on a majority of black men to protect me and to be with me. I believe that I might be with the few or not the few. But I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I used to think that until to me. Two things happened to me. Two things happen to me.
Speaker 4: The first thing is when I hear my own family members who've been raised by it, with the same principles, the same whatever, talking about supporting Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: That scares me.
Speaker 4: Right, that's where my majority starts slipping away, because there's certain people that I believe that I was gonna I could go to. Right when I look up and I see people like a Lord Jamar, who's someone who I respect and deeply like, I mean, this was somebody to me who was like an icon.
Speaker 1: And I see him spreading misinformation.
Speaker 2: It's not even to me, it's not even.
Speaker 1: Well, it is misinformation.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying it's not miss. I'm saying the problem for me with him somebody that somebody I'm close to as well, and I haven't had a conversation because I don't even know how to converse with him at this point. When when when every word is this bitch and that and bitch bitch, and it's like you're supposed to be to God, this this was God body large and more and you and you're referring to a woman in this manner that you don't have, you don't have no personal issues with. She ain't do nothing to your mother, she like wall.
Speaker 1: But how do we get this to put that?
Speaker 4: To go back into my point, my majority is slipping away when I start seeing things like that, when I hear a black man sit in my face, who is a family member, man who completely supports Kamala Harris, but he says to me, I'm in barbershop conversations and I'm telling you that more black men than you think, right are gonna cat. They're not gonna say it, but they're gonna cast their vote for Trump. And I hear them saying a lot of black women, I'm not gonna vote for Trump, but I'm not voting for her.
Speaker 1: Right, I start feeling like the.
Speaker 4: Majority of those people who we will be with fighting with, which, by the way, is not an unusual concept, to be clear, because in our struggle right now, we're not always it's not always the majority. A lot of times in these marches on the front line, we're out there with a lot of people who don't even look like us more than we are even with our own people.
Speaker 1: So I'm starting to worry about it.
Speaker 3: I would say that I think it will be the majority. You believe that, yeah, I do.
Speaker 5: I think there's a larger percentage than normal that are have have you know, the kool aid has been really strong.
Speaker 4: Well, now, it's not kool aid. It's a intentional targeting, yes, and.
Speaker 5: It's it's worked on some folks because of the years of neglect. And this is where a democratic party has to take ownership has neglected to address. And we, many of us, have been saying for a very long time, you are taking these people for granted, over and over and over again, and now here we are not only that. And you know, I understand this, this this concept, but there are many folks who feel like we have made everything masculine, toxic everything. And here on the other side you have a group of folks who are saying who actually, first of all, anything is nothing is off limits, So you could be the most toxic whatever. Hey, come here, we're gonna you could be here.
Speaker 3: So now.
Speaker 5: Every day that you hate these people, that's fine, you hate them too, don't worry you could that that that they allow you to be the worst of our surgeon.
Speaker 4: But I think we got to go back to this point, and I know you gotta go, and I also know that it's a painful conversation because people will get very upset with me for saying it. But I'm just telling you that my experience as a woman, and particularly as a Black woman, is that I have been harmed and a lot of women that I know have been harmed many times by black men. It's just a truth, right, And I said to my sign earlier on the show, when I look at some places, even within the Black Church, and I realize that some of our denominations still don't even allow women in the pulpit, we have more misogyny in our community than we're willing to admit. And I think that if we were in a civil war kind of scenario, that's I'm pushing it. But nonetheless, I'm not sure where people would fall, because folks want to be they want to be attached to or have proximity to what they believe is power or the winning side, and so the few of us would be out there, but as we always are, struggling and fighting on our own, and that makes me feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 5: No, you talk so one, that's a sad reality. Because I don't think black women have and we all agree, have ever been protected the way they're supposed to be protected. So I can't take that away. I have my own stories with my own wife, so like this is that's a truth, a truism that we want to hold but not. But and I feel like the majority of people like this did to the majority, and the percentage is way too big.
Speaker 3: Than it should be.
Speaker 1: Okay, I respect that.
Speaker 5: Think the percentage of folks have just gotten a lot bigger because of all the things that have happened and all the feelings of leaders and a party previously.
Speaker 4: But what does that have to do with what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the relationship.
Speaker 3: Because you said they feel that they feel like.
Speaker 1: I don't know that we will be will have.
Speaker 4: What I believe at one point it's certain people I just knew would be there but not.
Speaker 5: But like all of this is, and because I have family members who called me and told me they're voting for Trump. Praise God, I don't think they vote right, but they but they're telling me to vote, and they're telling me like all of the things that have brought trauma to them, they are now allowed to express it in the worst ways, and that is intoxic.
Speaker 3: All of this is intoxic.
Speaker 5: I have been suffering, and you are telling me that you're going to solve that suffering.
Speaker 3: That is age.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 5: As matter of fact, I'm get rid of all them people who have been bothering you, preventing you from getting where you're supposed to go in the first place. Remember all these people toy you, they was gonna help you.
Speaker 3: They did not.
Speaker 5: I'm a strong man. I'm going to solve that. I'm gonna solve this problem for you and get me here. And I gave you that check that I ain't even give you. So you have all that stuff combined, and people like you know what, nothing has changed on these other people. He's telling me he gave me money, which hen't really give me. That's a whole other thing I've been telling these people. Make sure you're clear. Donald Trump trying to stop that check. It was a Democratic Congress that got it for you. But not only did he give me money, He's getting rid of these people who have been the problem, even though they have been the problem. That's the hell of an intoxication. They have people and they're telling people in pain. That's why people abuse substances.
Speaker 1: So I get what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get, so I want to ask this question before you leave. Obama made some statements and for me, you know, my personal opinion is that we should be able to speak truth to power to our brother right. If if I'm seeing that you're doing something wrong, right, it's like you being abused, Like you have a friend that's being abused, and you're saying, hey, why would you let that person abuse you? I don't think that's talking down to.
Speaker 5: You, so uh well, one also assistance. I just want to make sure I heard you, like, that's real. I don't want to ignore.
Speaker 2: No, definitely feeling.
Speaker 4: It's really, it's really, it's very emotional like it gives me, you know, because it's hard when you love so much. I love black men like I've been fighting for black men my whole life, and I have been in situations where I almost died trying to protect black men. I have a black son of a black father. My whole life is about and you know how much I love the two of you and all the brothers around me. But I have to at some point, as I said to my son earlier today, start thinking about myself as well, and this is a reality for me.
Speaker 1: I know that while.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying that a white man wouldn't do it to me, but my proximity has been to black men, right, and so only thing that.
Speaker 1: I can I don't even care whether a white man protects me. Only thing I care about is because I feel like if we going out together, then hey, that's it.
Speaker 4: And when I start to see when I go on Facebook, Instagram and other things and.
Speaker 1: I see black men that I respect.
Speaker 4: Deeply saying winch, she's a wench, she's stupid, she's an idiot.
Speaker 5: And I'm answering a question. But think about why. We have seen people their proximity to power. So we have seen folks say I'm gonna show you I'm just like you. So I'm just like you, which means I'm gonna call my woman this thing. I'm the man in the house, and this is what it looks like. I love Christopher Columbus, those LGBT folks and all this with you, so I to show you I'm with you. I'm a mimic and do the things that you do. So that proximity to America and what has brought certain community's power is an intoxicating thing. I see people with the thickest accents from the Caribbean screaming at other immigrants.
Speaker 3: It's the wildest thing in the world. But what's happening?
Speaker 5: And then they want proximity to show I'm just like you, and so that's the real thing. So that's a conversation we just have to have because you're not the only one.
Speaker 3: And that's real. With the with the Obama conversation, for.
Speaker 5: Me, okay, it didn't hit me as hard as I heard people think, like it probably was real conversation, real thought. I will talk about whether the strategy that the strategy is correct right now because we are so close to election time at you know, think about when you're doing something wrong. If somebody come and start pointing out you right right now, it might take you a second to get there, Like your response might be a defensive one really quick, as opposed to I'm open and ready to receive this. So if we're trying to get people whose mindset is not correct, they may not be ready to receive. Like that message might not hit the person my family member who's talking about voting for Donald Trump. That message probably won't hit them in enough time.
Speaker 2: So so how do you think the message should have been delivered? Because I've seen people delivered in every way. So give me. Give me a message that you would give to black men right now that are telling you they're voting for Trump, that you think will resonate with them, that they would say, damn, you know what. Let me let me consider.
Speaker 5: So one, I think a lot of a lot of it is about turnout right now. So I think first of all, just Obama being present is a helpful thing. And I think we have to really talk about you can be your masculinity is not with the problem, that's not what the problems. And you can be a black man in this tent and she were alive with this, Like you have to talk about that. Just talking about the missogy right now, which is real, But tell telling the black man who has been sort of intoxicated by this other message that it's your misogyny. That's like when you're telling like you're telling a white person or you're racist. That's why, like automatically I might just shut it down even if it's true. So like so when I'm talking to like when I'm talking to white people about privilege, I tried to use the word the racist work because then I'm like, you think I'm calling you a racist, and I didn't. You might be, so I don't take it off the table. But that wasn't part of the conversation. So I try to talk about what's going on in life, how you show up, how I show up, What does that mean in America. That's a conversation. So I need to talk to just black men and black men and what we're facing, what you're facing, what is the issues in your life right now? Who's going to really assist with that? And that man didn't give you a check. That's a real conversation that people believe they got a check from Donald Trump and they did not. First of all, they got tax people's money, and Congress is the one that pass Donald Trump tried to hold it up to get his name out there. I think those are the conversations and getting to be honest, Getting people right now who represent quote unquote masculine I think will be helpful. That Bruce Springsteen thing was dope. I think, particularly for white men to see the boss out there, you need to get some more people like that that represent the strategy.
Speaker 2: Yep I said that you're definitely going to have masculine men that we're just in a level of masculinity that we don't see in the party right now.
Speaker 5: It's going to get people out on November fifth, and we can't mess up the strategy. So I don't really think his message was all that bad. To be honest, I see people responding to it. I think the strategy of it right now may not get.
Speaker 1: The impact that well.
Speaker 4: Just to be clear again, there's a targeting that is happening of black men on social media, and people need to know that so that when you feel this risceral reaction to things, you need to know like, why did I see this?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: And the reason why I'm saying that is.
Speaker 4: Because I saw a clip that I forwarded to a number of brothers that I saw in your I wouldn't go on in your Wow wild West comments section, but I saw some of our brothers in there trying to explain to you why Obama's comments were harmful or how they made people feel.
Speaker 2: Me.
Speaker 4: He was talking to Republicans tear them up, and people were like, we never heard him say that. He was saying, you know, when did this become okay. Again, he was speaking to some Republicans, different time, same couple of days that he's outside talking to white folk, and he's like, when was it okay for lies? And you know, people are telling you over and over again the things you're saying, it's untrue, it's been proven, and they're still lying.
Speaker 1: When is it was that okay?
Speaker 4: I understand that there are people out here who don't agree with me, they never agreed with Obama, but now you've got a liar who's out here parroting hate. When was that okay for you? As a Republican? Answered that for me? Like the way he was speaking, he never he never, he's never done that, but I just I've never heard him do right. It was a tone that he had. He wasn't all crazy and you know, speaking like you and me, but.
Speaker 1: He still was.
Speaker 4: Making a very powerful point that people have not heard him this way. And it's in the comments section. Folks like Obama's piss right, even Michelle she was off the chain at the DNC, so you clearly you know that they have an energy about them. But this is what I just want to say. I think the problem with President Obama is not what he said. It's not who he was even talking to. I think the problem is that when people do not see you in their community until you come to chastise them about something that they're doing wrong. Like all of a sudden, it's election time and everybody's out here talking about misogyny and this, that and the third misogyny been going on.
Speaker 2: But I don't agree with that. That man was in the White House for eight years and he dealt with that. They called them tall baby, they called his wife a man, They disrespected.
Speaker 1: His children, they and those are things that happen too.
Speaker 2: So I'm trying to explain to you, for eight years, he earned the right to be able to come and say, okay, so how do you, as a black man, allow this man to disrespect you and then you say you're gonna support him. I think after a dealing with he deal with he has the right to.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying I disagree with what he said.
Speaker 4: What I'm telling you is that if Jimiani, when you asked Jimny, what would he say?
Speaker 1: Right? Well, I respect what he said.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying is the reason why more black men or black people might listen to you, and what you're saying is because you're touchable, you're reachable to them. So they feel like when you say things, you're not talking down.
Speaker 2: Because they don't see Jimny. This is the truth. We outside all the time.
Speaker 1: I don't see him hereabout me.
Speaker 2: Listen to me. I'm on the internet. I'm outside every day. I'm in the community. You ain't outside, well, you won't do nothing in your community. I'll be like, what are you even talking about? The internet will make up a story.
Speaker 3: We want to be.
Speaker 5: Careful about how much we're asking about leaders all the time. Sometimes we're asking a lot more than other people.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that he has to do it all.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying I'm saying if it were me and I was putting him in that space, I wouldn't have put him in there with cameras. I would put him on the road before today to not thirty day, six, twenty day, whatever the days are. I'm saying that this problem has been an issue, and so therefore it.
Speaker 3: Was a part of Hillary. I'm not a Hillary fan, but it was a.
Speaker 2: Part of it, right.
Speaker 4: So what I'm saying is I'm not I am not saying that the president. I don't think he said one thing wrong. I'm saying that the strategy has to be that we cannot wait until days before the election to go out and do that work. Maybe he is not going to be, like you said, moving around everywhere all the time, every day, but he certainly can have ballrooms of men that he's talking to twice a year that we can see, you know, him being he can do that.
Speaker 3: When you're saying these things.
Speaker 5: We have to have we have to have a conversation with empathy of why the person is feeling that way.
Speaker 3: And I think that would help.
Speaker 1: I gotta add that.
Speaker 3: You got to add the look.
Speaker 5: I understand why you feelings, but here's what the issues, because when you ignore the pain and the trauma, then you're not going to get through the person. And right now we really just coming in hot.
Speaker 4: I don't know that that's my point.
Speaker 1: I think that's what I'm trying to say. I'm saying that there's.
Speaker 4: Some work that you have to do before you are at the point of telling somebody what they're doing wrong. There's some other work that has to happen so that people are able to accept it a little bit better. Right And I know what you're saying. My song some people it doesn't matter. I just want to say one thing because you got to go. So we're talking about her being a woman, Kamala Harris being a woman in the misogyny right, But you also have a disability.
Speaker 1: That you talk about publicly.
Speaker 4: I wonder if you feel like you also, as a man, even though you're a man dealing with trying to do your job and also to rise in your political career, that disability is as harmful even as a man, as a woman trying to run for office and increase her or grow in her political career.
Speaker 5: I think everything is intersectional. So I think if you're running as a black person, you're gonna have some problems. If you're adding a black woman, you gonna have some problems. If you're adding with a disability, you're gonna have some problems. Thankfully, I was raised by a pretty strong black woman, Like there was just no real excuses whatever was going on. So that actually has some negatives to us another conversation. But I think on balance and have some positives or help you navigate through life. So yes, you know, my most interesting times if I'm on box, like all.
Speaker 1: Kinds of stuff that people say.
Speaker 3: Who's crazy? After a fox.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I mean the disability that the terrest syndrome and whatnot is is a thing, so I can't it's not. But it's also helped and inspire folks in a way that I would never imagine. There's people who've run for office literally because they saw me run like that. That gets me an emotion when I think about it, like it's crazy that you saw me do something and now literally told me I didn't know I have to rest and run. I ran because I saw you. That's some mind boggling and mind.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to listen.
Speaker 2: Present president might have The President is gonna have to reds you. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Happen and you're getting out of here.
Speaker 2: We just want to.
Speaker 1: New York City politics.
Speaker 4: But that's okay because you need to stay low and stay back.
Speaker 2: Asking the question if the time comes, are you prepared to be the mayor?
Speaker 3: You have to be prepared to be to be public advocate.
Speaker 5: So in every scenario someone becomes public advocate, you have to be prepared in case something happens.
Speaker 3: It's not something that you want because that means something bad.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: But I'm more than prepared to make sure, the continuenty government continues, people's trash gets picked up. That now eleven gets answered, through eleven gets answered. That's what people really want to hear. But with that, you know, people, there's two separate conversations. One is the mayor has a presumption of innocence, has a right to vigorously be defended. There's a separate question of whether you can hold that weight and be able to govern the city the way it needs to be governed. And criminality, aside the judgments that was made on the things that we all agree happened, is also criminality. Not another separate conversation, and those are real conversations.
Speaker 2: Shout out to our public advocate, Jiminy William.
Speaker 4: You know, I think we could have probably talked to your money a little bit more all.
Speaker 2: Night because I had some stuff to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I kind of felt I mean, I don't know. I feel like we're all trying to do and say what is best in this moment. Because He's right, like everything you say, people are going to use as a reason to either feel inspired, which is what we want, or to feel like this is an excuse for me not to go do what I need to do on November fifth or beforehand. So I can feel that tension, like he's like, my team is telling me to be careful because you're talking about tearing the whole thing down. There's some people who will try to use that as a way to be like, well.
Speaker 2: I get it. I just think for me that we're in the time we didn't. Like I said it the other day, like they gotta be lines drawn in the sand, right, and in trying to make people like you that don't like you, it's never worked for nobody. It just has never worked. And some people like today Kamala released you know, agenda for black men, right, and before they said, what is her policies? Right? What are the tangibles? What is she offering the black man? And then these same people still have excuses, so it's like they're not looking for anything that can change their mind. They're just going to be contrary about everything. And you have to understand that there are certain people like there are I believe there are a demographic of men or people who generally just want to make sure the policies fit them, that they are is an agenda, there's tangibles. They feel like, you know, the Democratic Party has left us out and haven't given us tangibles. But then I think there's people that just want to be anti right. So when I'm listening to the majority of people that we are in conflict with from from my perspective, there's one or two people here or there that they were like, well, I don't I don't know agree with this, and I don't agree with this, and they have certain points, and when you have conversations, there's a dialogue back and forth, even if we agree to disagree. They're listening to facts, right, They're giving you their opinion, but they're not trying to deny facts. When people are denying facts because they just want to be contrary to something, I don't have the time for that type of dollarge. And those type of people I don't even I know they're not gonna be with me, right, So I don't have the energy or I'm not even trying to push you to be with me. I'm just gonna grab the people that's with me and continue to build with them. And that's what we have to do in this moment. I think there's some people that's too far, and a lot of them don't vote anyway. They just want to. They literally just come to the internet just to get any type of energy in conversation.
Speaker 4: But there's some people that are going to vote this particular time, even if they've never done it before, just to be able to satisfy their need to inflict some type of like pain on a woman. Like there are people who never voted before and now they're gonna get up and be like, oh, I'm gonna do it this time and a lot of time. You know, we didn't get a chance to talk about the trauma that is well he Jimani did touch on it, but the uh, there is a trauma associated with some people who have experienced negative of who have had negative experiences with their mother, right pain from their mother, pain.
Speaker 1: From a woman that hurt them.
Speaker 4: You know, I talk about my experience as a woman, I've been hurt by black men, and I'm not talking about he broke my heart.
Speaker 1: That's not what I'm talking about. I got other stuff.
Speaker 4: That we won't even get into today, because the last thing I want is people out there like, oh, Tamika is poling on and now she want to talk about these terrible, horrific incidents. But I'm not talking about he broke my heart. He was my boyfriend and he slept with somebody else, or he decided he didn't want to be with me anymore. That's cool, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm telling my real serious harm that has been done to me. But there's black men that experienced that with black women as well.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: My mother used to tell me all the time. And here I am saying some stuff I ain't supposed to say. But my mother used to tell me all the time that when she used to be like, don't I don't like that babysitter, don't leave to rake far, I don't like the way she looks, I don't like the way she dressed in the house with him. And I'm like, it's a woman. And I remember my mother saying to me, y'all are confused. If you think that only men harm children or little girls, boys are harmed by women as well. So some of our brothers have experiences with women, and every time they get with a new woman or have an opportunity or in space with the woman, they want to repay or take out on this woman what they've gone through. And it still it just feels like black people need a hug together, like we need a big universal hug because of the pain that we're experiencing.
Speaker 1: I agree, or we have.
Speaker 2: Experience, I agree. I agree that we got to give each other grace, you know, and we have to love each other. And that's why are open up every I said that I love my brothers, and I want you to understand that. So even when I'm I'm pulling you up, right, it's not it's not cancel culture. It's counsel culture. Right. I don't want to call you out and want to call you in, you know, because when I see something that's wrong, but we can't ignore that it's wrong. And that's that was my whole point with Obama. And I hear what everybody says, you know, in this time, it's just but I'm looking at from the lens that that man is looking and he's saying, damn. I was in the White House House for eight years and y'all didn't see what they did to me. They try to publicly lynch me. They discredited me on everything, they went against everything I did. They called me out of my names, and I still walked with my head up and I still represent us properly. And for me, to leave this White House right with one of one of the best approval ratings in history. And then y'all tell me you're gonna vote a man that had the worst appool weight in the history back in office, that disrespects you, that disrespects you, and you tell me that you are going to promote empower that like, that's like a slapping that that that gotta hurt your soul because I know that me being on the front lines every day fighting for black men, fighting for black women, fighting for black people, and seeing them come attack me for a white supremacists, is it hurts. I know. He goes to his Instagram page too, and he sees hundreds if not that because he got millions and see hundreds of thousand people attacking him telling them that this present is better, and it's it's it's like a slap in the face. That's why when you hear them speaking, when you hear Michelle, she like, we done went through all this. We know, like we get all it. We we tie to the bullshit, you know what I'm saying, And it's and we were and we're not understanding just how detrimental it is this rhetoric is. We're not understanding just how serious the times we are in. And I think he understands this seriousness that he he ain't coming out here just to be the good Hey, you know we go loaded. They not with that no more because they realized we had a whole different time. You're talking about somebody to rewrite the constitution, somebody that wants to utilize the military to impose its will on the people, like this shit is not a joke, that's not a game, because you want to prove like this is serious, this is not okay, you know what I'm saying. So I think when when you come from that lens, when you when you that's what I identify. I don't identify with the politically correct, because that's what we're told about politically correct. You know, you got to say this to that. I played basketball my whole life. My coaches they didn't. They wasn't the politically correct. They were saying, you ain't doing shit on that court. He's busting your ass and if you don't do something, he gonna they gonna, you gonna lose. I'm not here to baby you. You're a grown man. You seventeen eighteen, you're gonna be a man, and in real life, that's how I survived. I was in prison with other men that if I was baby, then somebody said it there wrong with them. They would have took advantage of me, they would extorted me, they would have did what they wanted to me. But I I was I had the level of love where men talk to me like men and they treated me like a So I was able to survive in any situation.
Speaker 4: But I think that's the I think that's the problem, is that the survival factor has been is tearing at the fabric of our community and also of yeap of us individually and collectively. Because what I came in here saying today and what's been on my heart since this, I woke up this morning with it, I went to bed with it. I went to bed sending a clip of Simone Sanders Show where she was on with Michael Steele and another woman that I can't remember what her name is. And in this clip, I didn't even send it to any men. I just sent it to all women. And in this clip it said it was about Ron DeSantis in Florida wanting to arrest people from radio stations.
Speaker 1: That allowed or that are playing political ad.
Speaker 4: That to vote against repealing abortion right. And then so a woman who's sitting up there telling her story and the ad about how she was gonna lose. She would lose her life, the baby would die, and obviously she wouldn't be able to take care of her daughter anymore if she did not enter pregnancy. And how in Florida, the more the restrictive the laws have become restrictive, she can't actually, she would not be able to get an abortion. And I've sent it to some women that I know are like, either they're not going to vote at all, they're frustrated or whatever, because there's a lot of women that also don't like other women leaders just don't. And when I sent it out, my thing was, Trump is nothing that you played with. This is not a joke.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So when I came in here today, I walked in here saying to you, now, I'm starting to think about myself. I have been as an activist, as a leader. My entire life has been about fighting for other people, fighting for other people and for the majority until we at until freedom, became very intentional about working on cases for black women. At one point I was doing most of my work probably ninety five percent of it for black men. And all of a sudden, after this weekend, the things that I've watched, the things I've been seeing, the things I've been hearing, the conversations that I've been having. I walked in here feeling like I need to think about myself and my own survival. And I feel like so many of the brothers that I hear are saying the same thing. And that is because white supremacy has caused a situation where people just trying to survive. They just trying to figure out how can I I'm tired. You don't want me to go to prison. This is the way I try to think this through. I'm a black man, you telling me, don't go to prison, don't do this, don't do that.
Speaker 1: But then everywhere I go to work, everything.
Speaker 4: That I try to do to be on the come up, people are beating me down, mistreating me, you know, talking to me crazy. I see so many black men saying like, damn, you know, you.
Speaker 1: Go to work.
Speaker 4: You got whoever your boss is, white man, black person, whoever it is mistreating you, talking to you crazy, making you feel lessing yourself.
Speaker 1: You go home. You're dealing with the same things.
Speaker 4: So after a while, I think everybody is getting in their survival bag and you are still you and others are still trying to think about what is this going to mean for all of us?
Speaker 1: Right? And I think that's where the conflict is coming from.
Speaker 4: And we have to be able to acknowledge that we did not create these circumstances.
Speaker 1: We're trying to live within.
Speaker 4: Them, right, Like I would imagine that people they hear me say, black women are not even in the pulpit in many churches, right, can't even preach on Sundays. They can only do announce meant and maybe read a scripture. And sometimes that has to be done from down down on the floor of the church. It can't even be up in the pulpit. That is actually policy in some denominations in their churches, right. And I would imagine that in their mind it gave the men power.
Speaker 1: It gave the men power. Right, when you ain't got power nowhere else, then what can you What do you have to do?
Speaker 4: You have to create social constructs within your own community that gives you power.
Speaker 1: And I think people and their handmaids.
Speaker 4: Tell mindset believe that if Donald Trump becomes president, then they have access to power.
Speaker 1: It's a dangerous thing. I just think you don't get it.
Speaker 2: I don't get it at all. And that's what I don't get. I don't get the mind state that makes you believe.
Speaker 1: But you do get it because I just explained it to you.
Speaker 2: I still don't get it. Like I hear what you're saying, But I don't understand how you think that that man helps your survival because everything he is about is anti us. So how do you think that you think that when he talks about all of these things he gonna do and that they're gonna positively affect you as a black man.
Speaker 1: But that's what they thought in the Handmaids Tell.
Speaker 4: See in Handmaids Tell, what you said you watched in Handmaids Tell.
Speaker 1: That's what they believed, my son.
Speaker 4: The black men sided with them white men because they felt like, Okay, you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Put me on the chain of power.
Speaker 4: The white women agreed to it because they believe that if their husbands were in power and put them in a position of power that some you know, that would elevate them right, and then there would be a bottom class. So that is what people think. It's not they think in their mind. Yet I know the white women knew that they were not being told they were gonna be equals.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't understand how black men accept it. I don't un that's what That's what I don't get. I don't understand how black men have accepted that somebody believes that they're better than you. Right, I don't understand how you look at the dynamic, how how there's the thing. Every time I think about this shit, it reminds me of the djingle. I see Trump on the stage and I see Tim Scott, and Trump is telling Tim Scott about the I think it's the governor.
Speaker 1: Who who Mark Crop or the man who's trying to be govern.
Speaker 2: No, the person who nominated him to be senator, like she chose him as a lady. She chose. He said, well, she's not gonna feel too good. You know that you're with me and she the one that got you in office. And he said, I just love you, I just love you, and he just looked at him. So every time I think about Donald Trump and I think about the relationship to black man, I think about the scene from the Djengle, right, and I think about him on the stage with Senator Tim Scott, and Trump is telling Tim Scott about Nicki Haley. You know, he's saying, you know, she's not gonna be too happy that you're endorsing me, especially you're from her state, and she's probably a person that endorsed you or whatever. And he walks up to the side of him and he just looks at him. He said, I just love you, and he might as well said boss. He might have said boss. He said, I just love you. I just love you. And Trump looks at him like a peasant, and he just walks off to the side. And this is and when I every time I see that vision in my head, I say to myself, how do black men look at that and feel in powered? How don't you feel disrespected? How doesn't that bother you? How doesn't that make your blood boil you? When you know he said? And then the clip that I posted today, I love the black men, black men, black men, I love you, they love me this and that, And it's like he just mocks you. He talks about you in a way that's less than it every time he can, and y'all still trying to promote him, and it's like embarrassing and So for me, it's like, you're not offended by that, but it offends you that Obama could say, why would you let that man disrespect you and still support that made you feel like he was talking down to you, But it don't make you feel down when every city that black people.
Speaker 4: And he could tell you, oh, you identify with me because of my mugshot, because he's.
Speaker 2: Reducing, deducing when he's sneakers. You want to give you a platinum that don't bother you.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing.
Speaker 4: That's the thing, my son, that I have a real problem with with some of our people. I noticed that they always got some kind of smoke for a woman they post about her, but they don't they don't know where to find the clips.
Speaker 2: And that's and that's another thing. And I'm gonna end in and I'm ended here, and this is this pretty much ended. This is what I don't get. I don't get how men that we cold and high regard, that have supposed to have, you know, love for our people, like Lord Jamal and Judge Joe Brown could call that woman out her name merely for running for president because you might agree with her, you know her politics, But why call that woman on her name. Hearing doctor Umar just talk about her in a manner that we don't have to vote for her, and she ain't do this, and and she's a a Tom or some whatever he say. He called us some name or tom or something. It's like, why, why, why, why do you feel that much vitriol for a woman just for running for president? And these are Black people that that have some level of esteem in our community. And it's like, I understand how you feel. Understand why women don't feel protected, because I wouldn't either. I would not feel protected if I heard men that I want respected and held in high regard speaking on women like black women.
Speaker 1: And I think it's women in general.
Speaker 2: Just exactly you Black hurts me because it's a black person you and they're supposed to be a level of brother and sisterhood that you know, people tell me that we're not supposed to expect that the whing in this era as a black person, we should not expect brother and sisterhood everybody else does, every other culture does for black people. We are not of my lists and all skin for all these all of the words and that you know, the trendy words that they use to just keep us disconnected. We utilize them all for ourselves no more. We don't even let them say it now. We utilize all of these trendy words. So it really bothers me when I see this level of disconnect, and I'm going to keep speaking about it, and I want us to fix it. I'm going to speak about it because I want us to fix it. There's no way that you and other women that we love and respect should not feel valued and I should not feel protected by us.
Speaker 1: Well, there's that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I appreciate it. I think it's just important. It's all the truth. And with this platform, I have no choice but to say the truth. And I and I know what the conversations are that I'm having with other black women. They tell me, girl, my man is a good man, because this is not about one on one relationships, right, this is not about that my father is the best man in the world. I'm well protected. I'm well protected by my unto a freedom family. I'm well protected by all of that. But that's not the protection I'm talking about. I'm talking about culture. Culture, a culture of misogyny that allows women to be abused, disrespected, degraded, and we have to put on a masculine armor to fight for and defend ourselves because we do not.
Speaker 1: You know, like I said, I got women. That's te let me girl.
Speaker 4: My husband is a great husband, but or not, but because their husband is a great husband. So that's not what I'm talking about. When I'm on social media, or when I'm out talking to other men, or when I'm on my job, or when I'm at school and I listen to the way these men speak, I'm scared. I'm afraid, and that's a scary thing.
Speaker 1: We sure do. God bless And with that.
Speaker 2: Said, we come to the end of another episode of Team. We appreciate a y'all. Continue to support us, making us the number one podcast in America. Follow us on Instagram at TMI Underscore Show. Send us who you want us to interview, Send us the topics you wanted to talk about. This is your podcast, it ain't just ours.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: I like that, my son. That was good. That's good. That's true.
Speaker 2: This is y'all.
Speaker 4: We said in the beginning, we'll learn together, We'll be together, and that's.
Speaker 2: What we're gonna do. And with that said, I'm not gonna always be right to mek it d Marri's not gonna always be wrong. We both always and I mean always.
Speaker 1: Be aut that we are your host of tm.
Speaker 2: I T making my son's information, truth, motivation and inspiration.
Speaker 1: Name New Energy SA