Speaker 1: What's up, everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Bucko Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network. I'm Noah Hiles, joining me as always oh my co host Josh Harrison, and Platinum Key aka Mark. We have a special Tuesday edition of Bucko Territory, no Wednesday mail Bag this week. It's just gonna be the Tuesday Trade deadline recap show. We were recording this Monday evening at eight o'clock Eastern time. I just filed my column for the Post Gazette, which you should totally read. I also just got off a zoom with Ben Cherrington, which all the media we're on. Mark is just got done doing his laughs of celebration because the Pirates finally addressed the bullpen and Josh joined us too, so we've.
Speaker 1: Got a lot to go on.
Speaker 2: The Pirates made three really interesting moves on the final day before the deadline. They acquired Luke Weaver, they acquired Kirbyates, and they acquired Lake Boker. We're gonna break down all three of those moves, but before we do, guys just want to get your overall thoughts on the Pirates trade deadline activities. They in the end add four right handers to this bullpen. Looks like Carmon Machinsky's moving to the starting rotation now that Mitch Keller, as they just announced, will be out for the rest of the year. So guys, what do you think for new righties? It's a brand new bullpen for this team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 4: It It needed some rewiring, and you know, I think they addressed in a lot of ways. And as you mentioned, Mitch Keller went you know, went down, so I think that also boosted it. Knowing that, you know, given you know, what Mitch was undergoing, they addressed the need. And when I saw the moves come across, it was, you know, pretty exciting to see, you know, them making some moves.
Speaker 5: Obviously to a US a bullpen that needed some help.
Speaker 4: So initial reaction was, Okay, they addressed something that was a dire need from the beginning, and we'll see how itppens out. But first, first initial reaction was they got some guys that you know, definitely pick your interest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm really happy. It was a bit of a stressful day just because the pirates waited until quite literally almost the last minute, and so you're sitting there just being like, are are they gonna make a move. You're seeing all these other trades happen. The stove was really hot, and all of a sudden you start hearing the rumors like, oh, Luke Weaver, Pirates getting close, and then it happened, and I am just I'm over the moon right now. This this bullpen needed a shot in the arm. They got three of them and four of them if you're counting to vall as well, so it's completely revamped. Like you said, Noah, very very exciting from a Pirates fan perspective. I've seen a lot of people that are very very pleasantly surprised, or not surprised but pleased, I should say, with how this trade deadline went. Maybe one piece short, like if you wanted a bat, but I mean, if you're gonna miss on one thing, you couldn't miss on the bullpen and getting Luke Weaver to add to this back end, just yeah, that's gonna be a huge help. Or are your thoughts Noah, Yeah, I just.
Speaker 1: I mean overall, I agree.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the only thing that keeps this from an A plus is the fact that they didn't add a starter, although they technically did with Carmen exactly right, and they added so many right handers that, like, I don't see how you could have kept Carmen in the bullpen with all of this else.
Speaker 1: I mean, they could have, but they would have had to use them in a role anyway. So there's that part of it. But also just like looking what they gave up.
Speaker 2: I wrote about this extensively, and I also I feel, like we've talked about on the show last year, one of their top priorities at the deadline was just strength than the lower levels of the farm system, and a handful of prospects that they acquired last year at last year's deadline were used to make this year's team better, the most notable being Sammy Stefora, the number nine prospect. The only top ten prospect that they moved was used to acquire Luke Weaver, and the Mets liked this guy so much that they ate a huge chunk of weavers salary to get him. And if I told you at the beginning of July that this is what they would get without giving up only you know two of their top twenty. The other guy was Omar Alfonso and the Deval deal and Alfonso's going to be Rule five eligible at the end of this year, and he was not getting added to this forty man so they were going to lose him anyway, potentially to the Rule five draft. And then everything else. I mean, one of the guys in the Bednar return went in the Bocker package, and I just and they essentially flipped Alika Williams for Kirby Yates. The guy that they got in return for Alika Williams is what they used to get the one rental player here.
Speaker 3: For Luke Weaver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to Brian Hayes for Luke Weaver is a remarkable return.
Speaker 2: But overall, you look at it, you give up hardly anything from your farm system, and the one significant prospect that you did give up is a shortstop.
Speaker 1: You got shortstop covered for a long time, so.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be okay. So you didn't give up a lot of prospect capital. You didn't really add any salary at all, which you know some fans can take a gripe with. But overall, I mean, they kind of did it efficiently at least, and yeah, they followed their plan from last year. There's just a lot to like. Three of these four guys have at least one more year of remaining control. Bokers under control through twenty thirty, and three of these four guys have pitched in the postseason, which is the clear goal that they have now backed up twice, once in the offseason and once in the regular season now with this trade deadline. So that's my analysis on the overall thing. But really what makes this a good deadline for the Pirates is Luke Weaver. If they get Baker and if they get Yates and Dovall, you feel fine. But Baker's able to be what Boker's going to be, which is essentially last year's Karmen Majinski, and Yates is able to be essentially a right handed version of Sodo, and Dovaal is able to be the project that he's supposed to be rather than a guy that you're forcing into a high leverage role.
Speaker 1: Because you went and acquired probably the best relief.
Speaker 3: Pitcher that was doubt about to say.
Speaker 2: And we already talked about the package, but I mean they they literally, I mean you could have gone gotten better, obviously, like you could have got Mason Miller.
Speaker 1: You could have.
Speaker 2: As far as everyone who has moved, I don't see a reliever that was moved that I like more than Luke Weaver. And the fact that you're paying him the league minimum for the remainder of this year, and you're gonna pay him less money next year than what you're paying Gregory Soto this year. That is a dream scenario. That is a dream trade win for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Even if Sammy Stefora pans out to be a really good player, I have a hard time imagining he's going to be better than Connor Griffin. So overall, that is a massive win for the Pirates. And that's all I have to say on Weaver.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when we brought up Weaver on the show earlier as a potential trade target for the Pirates, we all glow loved it. Obviously really talented, but we said there's twelve and a half million reasons why it might not make sense for the Pirates. And that was twelve and a half million dollars that he is owed next year in twenty twenty seven. Now, the Mets gave what was it like six million or something, so he's going to be owed six and yeah year, So six and a half million for Luke Weaver, which I mean, yeah, he's he's on the like getting older, but still that that's a steal for the level of production that he's been putting up this year. So yeah, instantly address that concern. Yeah, fantastic trade mets really really must like Sammy suffer. I mean, he had a crazy month of July, like fourteen runs or something, I want to say, just ridiculous. But also that's in Greensboro where yeah a little bit easier today. Hit home runs down there.
Speaker 1: Sotstop in their low level, So.
Speaker 3: That's no no, I yeah, completely agree. Yeah, but the fact that they didn't give up anything more and got cash back is just well done.
Speaker 4: Ben, Yeah, that was gonna be the point that I brung brung up because when we covered Luke Weaver, we did say the price tag or whatever was going to be something that they would have to get creative with. And obviously they got creative with it was able to make something happen, and they saw like we did and a lot of other fans that you know, this is a potential really good fit for Luke Weaver, and I think a lot of people were excited for that. My cousin had even texted me from Cleveland, you know, following the Pirates. He said he was at work and he was like, Weaver to the Pirates. Yeah, so people you know that aren't even necessarily like every day Pirates fans, you know, saw it as an exciting move.
Speaker 5: So mm hm, kudos to that Land and Weaver.
Speaker 1: All right, so we talked Weaver. We're going to take a quick break.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we're going to talk Kirby Yates, the second of the three right handers added by the Pirates on Monday, Monday afternoon before the trade deadline.
Speaker 1: Here on Bucker.
Speaker 6: Territory, this is that time of year, aj. It is Baseball's time to shine, and it is Sea Geeks time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing, seating and games that are even sold out available on Sea Geek.
Speaker 7: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up. We have Yankees Cubs coming up. Where's Yankees Red Sox? That means stuff. Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here in the as the pena chases really heat up. Go to can find those green tickets, the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best look. Green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at seakeek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 2: Kirby Yates was reliever number two added. I thought that was the big move at the at.
Speaker 1: The buzzer, Yeah, it was wrong. It got even better.
Speaker 2: But Curbyates is a guy who has played a lot of Major League Baseball. I mean yeah, look at his draft year two thousand and five. That's more than twenty years ago. And he's thirty nine years old. Veteran right hander, a guy who you know his savant it's very hot or cold.
Speaker 1: He gets a lot, a lot of chase.
Speaker 2: The numbers should probably be better what they are in certain areas, but he's also going to.
Speaker 1: Allow a lot of fly balls.
Speaker 2: And you know it's hard kunkie barrelum. Yeah, in hard contact boom or Bust. I'm not super pressed on breaking down Kirby Yates. I feel like if you've watched Major League baseball over the last decade, you have an idea of what this guy can do. But one thing I'm very interested to get is Josh's opinion on the value that comes with adding a player like Kirby Yates to this type of team. He's thirty nine years old, He's played a lot of baseball, He's had success in his career, He's pitched in the postseason. Josh, when you add that rental veteran, everyone talks about the big sexy, you know, superstars, and in a way they did that with Weaver, right, they got one of the best relief pitchers in Major League Baseball. But there is a lot of unspoken value that doesn't show up on a savant chart or you know, on the back of a baseball card that comes from adding a vet who has literally seen it all. And Josh, can you just kind of give us some context as to what that brings to a clubhouse, especially to an area of the team that was really lacking that confidence and perspective.
Speaker 4: I mean, you mentioned a guy that's been around, and you mentioned he's seen it all, coming to a bullpen who, unfortunately, you.
Speaker 5: Know, has had his fair share of struggles.
Speaker 4: And when you say a guy that's seen it all, he's also seen his fair share of struggles. But you know what you have is a fresh face, you know, a fresh voice that you know these guys in the bullpen can resonate with to say, Okay, this guy's been where we've been before, you know, so so he can not necessarily show them the way, but you know, show them in moments like, yeah.
Speaker 5: Man, I've been there before.
Speaker 4: You know, I know what it's like, you know, in a postseason hunt, I know what it's like when you're in these crunch time games and you know you're the guy called upon in a bullpen struggling. You know, they really didn't have much of that, and you know he's gonna be a fresh face, a fresh voice that you know, when when you can pick the brain of somebody that's done what you're trying to do for quite a bit, there's nothing like experience. And when you can find a guy who's had some experience, had success, who's been through it all, who's had some failures, what better person to learn from than somebody that, as you have said, has seen it all, and like you said, you know what you're gonna.
Speaker 5: Get with him from what I remember facing Kirby, you know.
Speaker 4: He's got a split throws, you know, fastball, a little bit of sinker. But with that sometimes you're gonna run into issues where I'm sure when he's getting hit it's probably familily being to split up because I think that's when he got in trouble when we would face him. But as I said, a guy who has you know, lived and died with you know, being convicted, you know, with his pitches, that's the reason he's been around for that long. And you know, guys that are convicted usually walk around with a lot of confidence. And those are guys that you really can't get to and in a in a bullpen that's been you know, kind of beat up and bruised a little bit. It'll be nice to have somebody that's like, hey, whatever's been done in the past, trust me, there's more ahead that you know, you can you can write the ship and you know pretty much say what happened in the past is in the past.
Speaker 5: That's that's tough thing for relievers to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I was just gonna say, I was going to tee you up here as a guy who you know has played a little less Major League Baseball than Josh. I know you can't really follow with that type of perspective, but just overall your thoughts on just what he could provide to this team as far as you know what you see on the statue, Josh gave the off the field stuff, the plubhouse stuff, But like, what do you think he adds as far as what the numbers show?
Speaker 3: Yeah, pull back up his stackcast page here. The chaf and chase and with percentage are what jump out of me. I mean he is looking for strikeouts and if that's that's how he's going to pitch.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Really nice to have a guy in your bullpen who's gonna have that kind of k rate that you can go to. Like if you have runners on and you need a guy who's gonna get strikeouts, you can turn to Kirby and go, hey, you're you have eleven plus years of service time, you've done this before. You can trust him and rely on him. So I really like the move. I think you guys hit the nail on the head talking about just bringing the veteran leadership aspect, because if you look at this Bullpen, I mean they're just really wasn't a lot of that at all, and the guys who have been there, you know, have been struggling, Like Dennis Santana, he's gone now. He was probably one of your leaders, Johan Santana or Johan Johann Ramirez as like he's always happy, like go lucky, but like I don't know if you're looking at him as like you're the leader of your like or Bullpen. So yeah, it's bringing that kind of voice, like Joshua saying, I think even as a fan, you can just recognize, like in your own life, you've seen people that have that kind of experience that have been through the Ringer and can help you. Now I have to learn those mistakes on your own, if you will. So yeah, really looking forward to seeing what Kirby can bring you. Found thoughts on.
Speaker 2: Him, No, Yeah, I just kind of look at it like you look at his stats, Like two years ago, I think he had thirty three saves.
Speaker 1: Yeah really really yeah, and that's not the player the Pirates are acquiring anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just need average relief pitching, and that's what this guy is. He's an average reliever, he's a seventh inning guy. He's a second right handed option, you know, because if they want to use Weaver as your traditional ninth inning guy, which I wouldn't be opposed to doing.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I'd be like I'm lobbying for that to be the thing that they use or the way they use him.
Speaker 2: But if he is, you now have like I said, I think he's just a right handed greg and Sodo probably in an eighth inning role or eighth inning if there's a lot of lefties coming up, makes sense. In the same thing for Yates, and especially now that you have other options, you can use Montgomery or Balker, who we're going to talk about next They have just so many more options, and he's just one of many options.
Speaker 1: If it was just him, don't love it.
Speaker 2: But the fact that he's one of a whole bunch of options that makes this team.
Speaker 1: A lot better.
Speaker 3: He's an improved up, yeah.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna take another break then we would come back Lake Balker. I've been waiting for this for months literally, and we're going to talk about it next year.
Speaker 1: On bucko territory.
Speaker 6: It's the summertime, aj and this is a time to feel free wild make some phone calls that you're overdue for, and also get some deals that you should be getting that you deserve.
Speaker 7: It couldn't be any easier, though. It's just one price for unlimited text and data. It's really simple. It is one price for all the data and all the phone calls you could want per month.
Speaker 5: It's simple, that's right.
Speaker 6: All of Mintmobiles plans are fifteen bucks a month with the summer sale, even unlimited. To get your new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month, go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory to cut your wireless bill to fifteen dollars a month.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 6: There's no catch up front payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred eighty dollars for twelve months. Plan required fifteen bucks per month, equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabytes. Hotspot capable device required availability, speed and coverage. Farries see mintmobile dot com.
Speaker 1: Mark. I'm not even gonna play the clip. Just play the clip.
Speaker 5: Amazing.
Speaker 2: So Lake Boker, if it happens, you heard it here from Yeah, I will take the most nauseating.
Speaker 3: You'll be watching this. I know his Twitter right now, Yeah, I'll be.
Speaker 2: I'll be calling everyone I know in that front office being like I.
Speaker 3: Deserve you guys, got this from me, just so you do.
Speaker 1: And I want to be abundantly clear.
Speaker 2: I have not talked to anyone in any baseball organization ever about Lake Boker. I have never had one conversation. I just watched him against the Pirates last year on Opening Day and I said that name rules, and I look into him and I can't get him out of my mind. He's just my favorite player that no one else talks about in baseball. Go get Lake Balker. Forget Jose Soriano, forget Sensor, Willie Castro or Jeffers.
Speaker 1: This is the Lake Balker episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it, Yeah, yes, perfect and yeah, Buddy Keby, Oh.
Speaker 1: My god, I listen to the Lake episode.
Speaker 2: I just cannot believe it, like that was one where again, like I do talk like in our group chat, I share some information with Josh and Mark that some things I don't even report just because I get told stuff on background or off the record, that it's just kind of like, you know, like just just to know maybe to keep me informed that if it does happened, I have some like background texts. And that's that's not me like saying that I'm doing anything different. That's how it works for a lot of people who report and cover a team for multiple years. I had nothing like, not once had I ever been tipped off that the pirates are interested in this guy.
Speaker 1: And I said that in that clip. I said that on that episode I will be accountable here.
Speaker 2: I think I did say that I'd be willing to move as Rwin Valdez.
Speaker 3: That was me, Uh yeah, that was that was me.
Speaker 1: But here's here's the thing. Here's the thing.
Speaker 8: Valdez Valdez, he I mean, yeah, I don't even think he was in the major leagues, no way, for he was not that version of Valdez.
Speaker 1: So I'll give I'll give us a pass there. And overall, it's just it's just funny. It's just funny.
Speaker 2: I'm not what's in my muscle saying I do think I know a decent amount about major League Baseball. This is just a shot in the dark for like, it just it's it's it's no different than anyone who watches this show who comments their trade deadline targets. But I mean, this was a sick o pool. This was a sick pool again, and man, it's just great. It feels like when you pick the sixteen seed to win in March. Matt, Yes, that's what that feels like for me. But in reality, all jokes aside, all you know, all Noah Hyle's victory.
Speaker 1: Lap put to the side here.
Speaker 2: This was a really good addition for the Pirates for considering a what they gave up. They didn't give up anything for this guy. He's got so much club control. And ben Cherrington even said in his you know post deadline zoom, which of course I had to be the one to ask about Lake Balker, like there was just no way anyone else was going to get that question in before me. But he kind of noted, He's like, this is a guy who's going to be used probably in a similar way to how Karmen Majinsky was used, I would say in twenty twenty four, is probably the best comp.
Speaker 1: You can see him give multiple innings.
Speaker 2: He's gone as many as three ups regularly with the Miami Marlins.
Speaker 1: He can also pitch in high leverage.
Speaker 2: And this is a young youngish I mean, he's not super young, but he's not old. And he has so much control where you can develop this guy and use him however you want. Maybe you move him into the rotation later, maybe you move him toward the back end of the bullpen. That's probably where he's trending. But there's so much raw potential here. And again, he's not amazing, but he Lake Baker would have been the best right handed reliever in this volume if he was added just a day before they acquired Luke Weaver.
Speaker 1: He's good.
Speaker 2: He's not amazing, but he is a good pitcher and he's gonna be here for the rest of the decade, or he has the opportunity to be right for the rest of the decade. This was a really nice last second pick up for the Pirates.
Speaker 3: Great great buzz.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you said, Sidney some good arms, and they addressed that. And as you mentioned, he's got some club control and it's pitched well.
Speaker 5: And and your.
Speaker 4: Eyes as you said, they didn't give up much, So what's there not to like really helped this bullpen helped this team, you know, with you know, some some of some options in the bullpen to really you know say that, hey, guys, we're not just making trades to make trades. I think these were some additions that compliment each other really well. And bullpen was a big need and it wasn't just one or two arms as you mentioned four over the course of you know, the past week or so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and getting him for only Brandon Badoit basically and the other two guys, I think we're like in like like the Florida like yeah, yeah, like yeah, and so easy easy, uh trade because he's giving you way more than Brandon Bajua is gonna give and he basically has the same level of team control.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: So Yeah, I absolutely love this move, not just because Lake Baker is an awesome name that looks really cool and it's a sicko pole for my podcast co host here, which by the way, just like it's one thing that nail like a trade prediction, Like I'd like this is a trade target the party get Hey, they actually went out and got him. That's cool. It's another thing when that guy is Lake freaking Baker, a guy who I had never heard of. I think we mentioned on the episode, like five hundred people listening to this, probably one might know him, and they're lying like, yeah, no, it's just insane insane pool. So yeah, major major props, noah. But yeah, it also helps this bull fan out of a time. So I love the move.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: And I like how you said he's he's already been familiar with, you know, multiple ups and experienced at a bit of everything in that bullpen, you know, as far as trending tourist to back end son as a guy that you know is.
Speaker 5: Going to compliment those other arms. But uh, as I said on there, the name's got a ring to it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, welcome to.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to tell him I'm a Mount Union purple Rader and tell.
Speaker 3: Him that was the D three school rival.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the D three rivalry is real here. And while we're talking about pirates editions, we need to make some additions as well to our subscriber count, So we need you to step up and help us out. We're on a mission of three thousand subs, can't get there without your help.
Speaker 1: Please hit that subscriber button if you haven't already.
Speaker 2: Also encourage everyone to check out our Bucco Territory team store.
Speaker 1: We've got a lot of good stuff. And gosh, dang it, if Lake Baker isn't replacing Andrew.
Speaker 2: Mccutton on that, I think I told him he could do that. I think I said that on the well the episode where we talked about him. So now we we have to make that happen.
Speaker 1: Guys. Any final thoughts before we wrap it up?
Speaker 3: Uh? Just great, great deadline. Yeah, this day was a whirlwind, especially just like the last few hours right before wait move. Just love seeing this bullpen get a nice shot in the arm. Really needed it. Things feel good after a terrible, terrible series in Cincinnati. I feel like it. It feels all right to be a Pirates fan. You're looking better after this deadline now, Josh, anything else now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, nothing really other than a dressed the bullpen in a major way. And as you said, it's time to go all this is behind everybody now.
Speaker 5: You know the.
Speaker 4: Anxiety of okay, who's going to be traded? Now, it's time to just strap it up and say this is our guys, this is what we got let's go do what we need to do.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: My final thought would just be this today, a lot of teams in the wild There were a handful of teams in the wild card rate, including a couple of clubs who were ahead of the Pirates in the standings that waved the white flag. Yep, they gave up, and I mean they're gonna keep fighting, but they sold it the deadline. One team sold an All star, another team, I mean another team sold a good relief pitcher to a team chasing it in the standings.
Speaker 1: And while that was happening, the Pirates did not sell away anything.
Speaker 2: They didn't give away any part of their future, and they didn't give away any part of their present. And I think that that deserves to be commended if you want to, you know, have a great with ownership that maybe they couldn't add payroll, because I mean, they really didn't add a lot of money to this year's salary. Buckers pre arb Yates is on an expiring deal and they're paying Leaver like nothing an the Yankees even eight salary for Devolph.
Speaker 1: That's a legitimate right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The front office, I feel like did the best it absolutely could do this deadline, and so fans should be pumped about that, and just objectively speaking, like I think the fans should be pumped about that. And I also think now it's on the players that were here prior to this week.
Speaker 1: You got the help you needed. The lineup has found a way to produce with injuries.
Speaker 2: You gotta figure out a way to hit these lefties now in the starting rotation.
Speaker 1: It's on your shoulders.
Speaker 2: You only have to get the game to the sixth inning because your bullpen is better. Your bullpen has enough options where four out of five times it should be able to finish the job. If you get at the ball to the seventh, get it through the sixth and you're gonna be okay now and we'll see what happens. It should be a very fun August in September. So he's Platinum Key, He's Josh Harrison. I'm Noah Hayle, signing off saying thanks for tuning in to another episode of Buckwet Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network.
Speaker 1: Take care