Speaker 1: Media. I miss the days when I felt like I could just open a podcast by asking, what's boiling my pig anuses or something along those lines. You know, I we've we've we've achieved a lot of success over the last five or six years here at behind the Mastards. We've risen to the top of our field. You know, we we're beloved by all influential, powerful, mighty. But that that comes with a corresponding loss of power, you know, the power to be yourself right, really, the power to experiment goes away as one becomes a caricature of themselves. And so I understand a lot of the troubles facing President Biden today. That's that's really what I want to say with the opening of this podcast. Wow, I was thinking about Joe Biden because I was thinking about our old what's boiling my pig anus'es intro and he his skin does look a little bit like a boiled gainus.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to say that he peaked around the same time that we peaked with our intros, which is when you said what's cracking my peppers?
Speaker 3: So many years ago?
Speaker 4: That was one of your best intros ever. That was Yeah, that was several lifetimes ago for all of us. But it stuck it in my heart, you know.
Speaker 1: M It's stuck in my heart the way that a boiled pig anus sticks in a restaurant that does not have enough money for calamari. Look it up, does really, that's what they do.
Speaker 4: That's fascinating.
Speaker 1: They bred pig auses and fry them in places that don't want to spend money on calamari. If you've ever had cheap calamari bread, solid chance it's a pig aus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I've I'm less bothered by that than I would like to be. I feel like if I got gotten in that way, and I've had some cheap calamari, so I certainly have. You know, the texture just makes sense to me in my mind, it makes sense.
Speaker 5: M h.
Speaker 2: Well, I've just never been more thrilled to have an allergy to gluten. So, but I don't have to encounter accidental piginus when I want calamari, and people who push.
Speaker 1: Okay, you can use a gluten free breading, but I would will not be very good.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: If people want to if people want to drill down my political intentions here, I would say that Joe Biden's skin has the look of pig ainus that was bredded in a healthy, gluten free batter, whereas Trump's it's one of those like it's like not not the good batter. It's like the off brand Panco and it's just it's loaded with gluten. You know, it's it's not not great for you, as opposed to the healthy Joe Biden pig aus.
Speaker 4: Okay, you've made your political stance abundantly clear.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Journalists are supposed to stay inscrutable, so I hope this hasn't ruined my credibility.
Speaker 4: No, people are gonna have to break this down second by a second to know exactly when Robert Evans revealed his.
Speaker 1: Biased Now, speaking of anuses, do you know who's a big asshole? No, tell me the subject of our episodes today, Jamie, because this week we are talking about doctor Laura slashinger.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's right, baby, that's right. It's the Doctor Laura episodes. Oh excited? What do you know about doctor Laura?
Speaker 4: What do I know about doctor Laura? I mean, I don't know. I feel like she is not someone that I have had a close relationship with. I would say I know that she is missus self help. I know that she does. If my understanding is correct, she is a self help person who primarily caters to women, but also hates all women, including herself.
Speaker 1: Is that right, Yeah, that would be a good way of describing her. She is like the most hostile to women of any major woman like media influencer that I can recall.
Speaker 4: There's like, really is saying something that there's a lot to.
Speaker 1: Be said about, like the toxicity in some of the people, a lot of the people that, for example, Oprah has brought on her show. Right, there are a lot of valid criticisms, but Oprah's her whole kind of thing is positivity. You should feel good about yourself, you should feel good. And you know, she mixes that in with some like dangerous dieting tips and stuff, But that doesn't change the fact that, oh, yeah.
Speaker 4: She's trying to kill you. But like, also, I can never really divorce myself with Oprah from the idea that she doesn't I don't know that she like is pilled enough by the culture that she pushes. Yeah that I'm never fully sure if she knows how much she's hurting her audience from what I've heard of lauras Schlessinger. She doesn't really have an issue.
Speaker 1: She she has a powerful issue, and I think dissecting that is going to be an interesting part of this. But first, that's the cold open. When we come back more Doctor Laura, and we're back Jamie.
Speaker 4: To be clear, I didn't mean that she has she doesn't have an issue, huh. I meant that she doesn't have an issue with hating her audience openly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, no, no, Well, you know what, I would question that because what she hates is her callers. The point of being in her audience is to hate her callers with her, right. That's kind of the core of Doctor Laura is she is she is providing you with this rapid fire hose of women making bad decisions, and even if they're not women making bad decisions, she is going to like attack them before they have a chance to fully explain their situation so that you feel like they're women making bad decisions. It's we'll be talking about this more. But what doctor Laura offered starting in the late eighties and early nineties was the same thing that we get on Twitter when you wake up every morning and there's someone who had a really bad take or said something like stupid or crazy, and the entire world, or at least your entire online social circle, is making fun of them. That is what doctor Laura offered. She just offered the version of it that existed in a world where the radio was the only way to really get something like that. Everybody gets to have there. I don't know, two hours hate listening to like the bad life choices of primarily young women having kids too early or who cheating on their boyfriends, serving their boyfriends cheat on them, right, but that is what that is what the appeal of her show was.
Speaker 4: Okay, that makes sense. So I'm not extremely familiar with the radio show, but that does make I feel like there should be more examined about the radio host harassment to internet harassment pipe line. I was recently talking to the feminist vegan named Carol Adams, who is like awesome. She read this book called The Sexual Politics of Meat, so I'm sure she would love the piggy in this discussion we just had.
Speaker 1: As a courageous title. I'm going to give it to her. You have to be confident in your book to throw that out there. I really respect that she is unbelievably steel.
Speaker 4: Like No. I met her at a hot dog convention. She's really fucking I.
Speaker 1: Met her at a hot dog Amazing stuff, Jamie, Look.
Speaker 4: I'm coming in hot today. I met her at a hot dog convention and she was, you know, she's famously a vegan and was trying to, you know, sort of preach the gospel about vegan hot dogs. But I was talking to her about how she is because she is in her seventies, I think, and she had been harassed for big you know, people hate feminists and vegans, and so they always came after her because the title of her book is so cool and so it was like she had to deal with Rush Limbaugh harassment in you know, the nineties and then like the warped like Jordan Peterson version of that same harassment. But it's the same playbook.
Speaker 1: And if you're wondering, listener, I'm going to guess doctor Laura is a big enough name. I think probably a majority of people are familiar with who she is and broad but she she was is still to this day, although now mostly on podcasts, a major radio talk show host whose primary thing was giving women advice, not just women, but mostly women. Advice on their lives, right, and she was very mean about it. She is a precursor to Jordan Peterson, Doctor Jordan Peterson. I don't know if he doesn't become a celebrity without Doctor Laura, but it's a harder road for him because she did.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 1: Had a major role in building a place not just in the media but in the right wing for a wildly successful like hop therapist who is primarily telling you you need to clean your room. Right, that's doctor Laura. And that's that's Jordan Peterson. Now he takes things.
Speaker 4: Book girl washer face, Sophie, do you remember that one?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, doctor Laura's ten. Yeah, that's a different one.
Speaker 4: I read it.
Speaker 1: Doctor Laura's book, which we'll hear from this episode is ten stupid things women do to mess up their lives? Right.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, I am.
Speaker 1: Very yes, Goleseller. So I want to get into this. I want to talk about who doctor Laura meant to me first, because I we're gonna do something a little different here. We're going to play some interstittal clips from her show up through like the two thousands to the modern era as we talk about her past, because I would love to show you some of those very early from the seventies and eighties radio clips, but they don't exist anymore. The vast majority of her early career is lost media.
Speaker 2: Jill Jill did not listen to this pot to her radio show, Jamie Jamie's Mom.
Speaker 4: No, No, I feel lucky that my mom has a pretty good radar for women who hate other women and generally doesn't fuck with them. We were our radio personality when I was growing up. Who I think is still in the mix is Delilah. We were just like listening to you know, and that wasn't even pretending to give women advice. It was just people calling being like, hey, can I send you know a can we play a Seline Dion song for my husband who hates me? And Delilah's like, yes, queen, let's do it. And she's still on the air. I loved her. She played a lot of Leanne rhymes and Tracy Chapman, so that was my Yeah. I feel like I kind of lucked out where I never had to listen to doctor Laura. I feel like she's inevitable you will encounter her, But no, I never was around people who listened to her.
Speaker 2: I unfortunately did because we carpooled, and I always wanted to be closest to the adult because I had anxiety, and there was definitely some doctor law that in my childhood from various different adults driving to and from school. Robert, want to tell us your history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so doctor Laura is still around and still doing her thing, which is primarily kind of feeding our worst impulses to want to feel like all of the people around us are somehow not pulling their share. Right, This is the impulse that a lot of conservatism works off of. But it's also pretty what you see it in a lot of leftists. You see it in everybody, right, this idea that like, somehow things are tough for me, and I have this feeling that for other people they're easier, and that's not fair. There's somebody grifting off of me, and they're you know, people feel this way because it's true, and it's true because like, there's a tiny number of incredibly wealthy people who exist and who make themselves wealthier, sucking value out of the rest of us. Right, These are the Jack Welch ass finance schools and stead jobs want to bees who are financializing our lives to hell and hollowing out this country for short term profit, doing stuff like buying up businesses, loading them with debt, and then you know, carrying out massive layoffs and reaping windfall profits for basically destroying people's lives.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But it's it's you know, that's true that like, those people are out there and they're not putting in the same amount of work that you are, and they're kind of ruining everything. But that's not immediately obvious to everybody. And the role, the valuable role that someone like doctor Laura plays in our media ecosystem is coming in and saying, you're right to feel like somebody's taking advantage of you. And here I'm going to play a bunch of like selectively curated audio of people who are having too many kids that they can't support, or you know, getting loaded up on debt or doing other irresponsible things, right, and these are the people that you should you know, you can spend some time today getting angry at these people and then go about your day and I will throw out some simple advice about how everyone just needs to take more responsibility for themselves.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That is where doctor Laura came into the picture. And it's you know, she helps to establish she's not the first person in this, but she comes in alongside the first, right, she is a contemporary of Rush Limbaugh. He hits a bit or like literally just a couple of years before she does in terms of like becoming a major figure. Morton Downey Junior, who we've talked about on the show was another major figure and like right around the same period of time. And her job was to give a lot of our moms, including my moms, people who had hard lives, who were like angry and frustrated because shit isn't fair, somebody to blame that was had no actual power, right, and nothing really like that there was no harm to the people who are like, you know, actually doing bad shit in our world if this person gets targeted, right, it's the same shit with like freaking out over well fair moms, as opposed to corporate wage theft, which is or freaking out over corporate or over shoplifting over like corporate wage theft, which massively exceeds the value of everything's shoplifted in this country by a factor Yeah, several times over.
Speaker 4: Everyone should shoplift. It's built into their budget to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so when she's giving someone to blame, because I feel like every generation has a figure like this for women of like actually, I mean I feel like the generation after it's different, but like Sheryl Sandberg feels like a figure that is like, Oh, there is a clear solution to this, and it's you're the problem, and you just need to act wealthier than you are and like forget any systemic oppression exists, and then you'll just.
Speaker 1: Lean into it, Whereas doctor Laura's argument would be like, you don't need to lean in. You need to quit your job and raise your kids as Yeah, return to traditional gender roles and somehow that will make things fine.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: It was one of those I think because my mom liked her so much. I remember her for a long time. She's part of the cultural background noise of the world that I was raised in. Like when we would get in the car, it would either be the car talk guys. If it was my dad, who were broadly neutral, let's sayral yes, click and clap, click and clap. The Tampa Brothers I think was their name. Yeah, unbelievably midwestern. Probably has a lot to do with my incredible Midwest appeal to this day. And then there was doctor Laura, who my mom loved. My mom was kind of a frustrated person, like her entire first career plan had collapsed. She had tried to start two businesses and they had collapsed. She spent most of my early life in terrible debt and feeling like her hard work had not been rewarded. And I think she there was tremendous appeal to her and finding people who were irresponsible and having this kind of ARCon of conservative values. Doctor Laura yell at them because she felt somehow like people like that were responsible for her failures. Right that that's the impression that I have gotten. I didn't really at the time. You know, as a kid, I thought doctor Laura had had it all figured out, right, because my mom said that about her. Weirdly enough, like me starting to reevaluate her happened when I watched a Fraser episode at like age fourteen or fifteen.
Speaker 4: He's doing the work.
Speaker 1: He did the work, he did the way. Thank you Kelsey Robert, Thank you kel He was always listening. There's a there's a great episode of Fraser where they parody doctor Laura with a character named doctor Nora played by the great Christine Baranski.
Speaker 4: Who was one I remember this. Oh my gosh, see now you're talking about way.
Speaker 1: And I'm a huge Christine Baranski fan. Nobody, there's not anybody today. He's got like a voice like that, and he like, oh god, she was great.
Speaker 4: So oh, she's very much alive. She's with at Emmy's. I just saw her and Mamma Mia, here we go again. She's great.
Speaker 1: I must just have been I hope she's living her best life. I must just have missed the stuff she's been doing more recently. But she's They did a good episode about her, and it made me kind of because the point of the episode is that, like, she gives all this advice on how you should live your life and has absolutely followed none of it, and it turns out that's extremely accurate. Like the story of doctor Laura is a woman who did the opposite of the things that she advises women to do and gained tremendous wealth and influence as a result of doing all of the things she tells people not to do. She is the clearest example I found of somebody finding a ladder up and then cutting that ladder out like behind them, throwing it down to the ground.
Speaker 4: That's fascinating, I mean, because yeah, there's so many flavors of this kind of person where I feel like I didn't have a doctor Laura in the background of my childhood, but I definitely hadn't had Oprah in the background of my entire childhood, right, And like her, it felt more like her whole thing was like, you are enough, except not really, not.
Speaker 1: Really, you are enough, but you're too fat, Like yeah, that's yeah, but you.
Speaker 4: Look like shit and you're doing every and like yeah, and and but but you know, I guess where they kind of meet is the fear mongering around class and around like there's just a.
Speaker 1: Lot of that. Yeah, And it's because of that that I have have triangulated my own position as a cultural influencer to you look like shit, but that's fine. Look at the world. The world is not doing well enough for you to owe it looking better than you do, right, Like, yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Are enough, but make no mistake, you look fucking bad.
Speaker 1: You look like trash, but the world is trash, and so like you. In a way, it's camouflage, right, It's.
Speaker 4: Important to blend the occasion.
Speaker 1: You're like one of those chameleons, right that can like, blend into the tree behind them. It's a survival method. It keeps the birds from eating you.
Speaker 4: And I telling you that you need to look like shit, listen to your body saying.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, yeah, help blend in, blend into the trash fire around you. So, you know, I once I saw that Frasier episode, I changed my mind on Doctor Laura more, and I started to change my mind on a lot of other stuff. It was, you know, it wasn't just that World of Warcraft played a weirdly large role in that. But I stopped really paying attention to doctor Laura when I was like sixteen or seventeen, and as an adult, there wasn't really much of reason to pay attention to her period, and so I hadn't really thought of her in close to like about twenty years until I started doing research for these episodes. So, like I normally do, I just started like Google, I just googled her name and popped on news right just to see, like, what is there anything still happening? Like, I honestly didn't know if she was alive when I started these episodes, and the first thing I read about her as an adult in the modern era were these lines from the opening of a CNA article before she uttered the inWORD before her remarks uncheated on wives. Before the controversies over homosexuality and religion morality, Laura Slushinger was considered a breath of fresh airh that's a lot.
Speaker 4: That's a lead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, okay, and they should it shouldn't be inward, it should be in words because she says it like eleven times during the explosion on air. That kind of lost her her job or caused her to quit her job. But that's also not quite what it sounds like.
Speaker 4: And was was that recently?
Speaker 1: This is that's twenty eleven, Jamie, Oh, that is so recent?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 1: But yes, also depends on what you consider recent. Yeah, you can tell it's a while ago because she didn't rebrand as like a canceled figure. She just kind of like found a new got into podcasting. Like it's a mix of She was clearly blazing a trail because that is what a lot of other people did when they got caught saying the N word right to start a podcast, but she also didn't do like a real media campaign. She's actually kind of interesting as a right wing figure. She's never embraced the political side of conservatism to the extent that is common for people who are similarly influential. Now, I think it might just be that she got really rich early enough that she's like, I don't need that. I don't need to talk to those people. They all seem unpleasant, like I'm a piece of shit, but I'm just going to enjoy my mansion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that is. I wish more people who were pieces of shit back in the day simply disappeared, because sometimes it does feel like that is the best case scenario.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it really is. I want to continue with the next paragraph from that see in an article because it gives an idea of the kind of show that doctor Laura ran and still runs for decades for those of you who didn't grow up on it. Quote. Despite the fact that many consider Laura Slashing the dragon Lady of talk radio, some of us can't help but admire her. Noted a decidedly mixed nineteen ninety nine consideration of her in Salon. She is snippish, overbearing, and often insulting, but anybody who has the temerity to call into her program knows what they are going to get, especially if they plead ignorance or innocence. Her message stop whining, sometimes delivered in just those blunt words. It was a message taken to heart by more than eighteen million radio listeners a week at her peak, people who looked at doctor Lor to set them straight in their relationships, ethical disputes, and moral conundrums.
Speaker 4: And well, yeah, if there's any evidence needed that our entire country has a humiliation kink.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I've been thinking about that a lot, because before I dug back into this, you know, literally the day that I started this, there was like a viral tweet that was someone being like it was one of those like people on TikTok or blue Sky or whatever, like overly medicalizing stuff and like making statements about like, oh, you know, I didn't realize this bad behavior is just something that people do when they have autism, and it's like, I don't know that get you get this stuff where it's like you get this with ADHD too, where it's like you just talk about stuff people do, right, Like it's not like this is this is just a this is just a behavior. It's not like necessarily related to any kind of medical condition, like you're talking about procrastination or whatever, like just we don't need to. And I started to get into this like annoyance sloop where I'm I was like, yeah, people do need to take responsibility. And then I realized what was happening, which was that the entirety of the out like the algorithms that make Twitter, well, it's not really profitable, but the whole attempt to make Twitter and every other social media thing profitable relies on putting stuff in front of you that you would not have seen on your own that will make you frustrated and angry. And so it's taking what in reality is some young person working through and thinking about the world and not having any sort of actual harmful impact on me, Like somebody wrongfully crediting a belief to you know, autism or whatever has no impact on me or anyone else. It's a person talking through shit on the Internet. But the Internet runs off of churning that up and putting it in front of people to get them angry and to get them talking about it and making fun of that person and attacking right, like, that's that's the business, and that's doctor Laura's business, And so I guess, yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, yeah she is a one woman algorithm. Yeah, where it's like not based on a sincere desire to educate or like it's based on like shaming people in a public forum is fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the same way, like, yes, some lady who I don't know has a child with a different man while cheating on her boyfriend or her husband or whatever, Like is that a problem for the people involved in that relationship?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Does that in any way really harm me? Whatever republic might say about welfare, No, that is actually not something that I should care about at all. Like, there are so many actual problems that will actually harm me out there. But like, if you can put people's eyes on you know, this person's bad behavior is going to like you're gonna wind up paying for it or anything like your eyes on the shit, that doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially when it's like codified as like this person's bad behavior, you're like they're a contextless bad behavior.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: Just like, well, I don't know why why would some why would this happen to someone? You know? And that sort of question, which I feel like is consistent throughout I mean, not even just right wing influential people, but you know, just the general classism of and racism and all of this stuff that goes through the way that we I mean, Sophie, I'm thinking about like I used to watch sixteen and Pregnant on MTV like no one's business, and that feels like I don't know if that exists without doctor Laura, because there is like a clear precedent for like shaming young usually poor pregnant girls. Yes, just out of context. Well they must have done it because they're poor.
Speaker 1: You know, it's the same And it's the same thing on the internet, right, Like it's a lot of these kind of like two minutes hate come around and like let's find somebody who again it's generally like a young person working shit out. And are they are they talking about like psychiatry and psychology in ways that are like not within the medical you know, mainstream or accurate? Are they sometimes causing problems for themselves by like doing the weird tumbler brain shit where people like lock themselves into an ideological box. Sure, but that's what young people always do, right, is figure out shit in slow, awkward, juttering ways. And it's honestly natural way for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like on a certain scale, it that does get scary, but like, how is the solution to publicly shame them, which I feel like, especially now, almost makes it a certainty that they will double down on it.
Speaker 1: There's the rightest thing I've ever seen written about the internet is that article we all need to know less about each other? Like, yes, yes, some of this should not. You shouldn't be aware of what a bunch of like teenagers are are, how they're how they are trying to process their lives and identities. Yet like, give them time to do that. I got time to do that. I don't know, Jamie, You're kind of right in the middle of the age groups. But you've got more time than kids today. Get it seems like.
Speaker 4: I got I got time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, you should all take some time to listen to these advertisers.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah that was good. That was good so bad smooth, Thank you, thank you. See this is again. You can't teach this right, you can't train this, this is this is I'm pure, I'm hooked up to the Cali Yuga. I am mainlining accashic truths and that's why I'm able to add pivots.
Speaker 4: So well, folks, God is speaking through you in this moment.
Speaker 1: In a way, I am God, Jamie, in a way, I am God. Speaking of God, Doctor Laura was God to a certain kind of very frustrated middle class woman like my mom in the nineteen nineties. And I want to start by playing a clip for you of her show Just See You Again. If you either don't remember or you didn't spend a lot a lot of time stuck in traffic with your mom listening to Doctor Laura, this is what her show was like. And here's a sample.
Speaker 6: I am unsure of how to continue on in my relationship with my mother. I found out last September that my dad, the man who raised me, is not my biological father for the very first time, and it has obviously caused her a risk between my mother and I.
Speaker 5: Why Why Why was the guy who raised you nice? Yes he is, so let me understand this. Don't babble at me, so let me understand this. You want to dump a mother who made you with one guy obviously could not have been the greatest guy in the universe. He wasn't there, and then she found a nice guy to raise you, and you're pissed at her. What in the hell is wrong with you?
Speaker 6: I'm upset because she lied to me about it, So what, so what?
Speaker 5: Who gives a shit? That's her private life. She gave you a wonderful man to raise you, whom you consider your daddy. What if you had been adopted? Who the hell cares? She did the wrong thing with a jerk, and then she did the right thing with the guy who raised you. I seriously would rather smack you across the head than anything else right now, you ungrateful little twid.
Speaker 1: So I want to break down what's happening here. And I picked that because this is an instance where the point that she is making is hard to argue with, Like, yes, if that guy raised you from childhood, that is who you should see as your father, Like, and that's not bad, right that, Like, there's nothing wrong with a marriage working out with someone deciding that like, oh this the biological parent of this kid, I can't raise them with and doing something else that's not wrong. But what's actually happened here. This girl didn't come in and say fuck my mom and fuck my fake dad. She came in being like my mom didn't tell me the truth for years. And I feel like this is really complicated for me and doctor Laura didn't let her finish explaining the issue, even immediately drilled down and accused her of saying and she never actually said that her the guy who raised her wasn't she didn't consider him a father. All of that is stuff that Laura put into that conversation in order to create, because that's what she has to do, right. You can't have there's not enough people who are actually unsympathetic and shitty calling. You have to make them unsympathetic and shitty. In the first ten seconds of the call, so Laura hears this is a young woman calling in because her mom has just admitted that her dad is not her biological dad, and Laura, without the caller saying it starts, invents an issue in the issue being that, Okay, so this woman is attacking her mom and rejecting the guy who raised her, which this lady never claimed to be doing. Right, Laura invents the problem in order to call this woman an idiot right in.
Speaker 4: Like in no time at all, I really shot like it is. You can tell at this point that what she's been at at minimum fifth she cares yeah, yeah, because it's like she's locked in and she knows I mean, and I'm sure she's invented this problem for other people before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And I wanted to play it because people have this idea that it's like when I say that she's giving you people to hate, she's creating those people. Most of her callers are not people who have done anything wrong. There's nothing wrong when your mom tells you that your dad was not your biological father, with being like, wow, this is a lot to process, and I have a lot of conflicting feelings about it. But that's not a profitable it's not profitable like help that person, like a therapist would think through and talk through those conflicting feelings. It's profitable to pretend that this person is shitty, yell at her on the air, and then move on to the next collar. Right, So, now that we're all suitably ready to learn about a bad person, I want to talk about her biographer, who is one of the major sources of this episode. She has the incredible name Vicky Bain, which is a great name for a person who writes unauthorized biographies of media figures, and she is the author of Doctor Laura the Unauthorized Biography, A revealing look at the hidden life of radio phenomenon Doctor Laura Slashinger, which for reasons I cannot explain, has an anarchist flag as its background. We got this book cover. It's a series of choices here kind of it's like very a very distinct red and black blocky thing going on there.
Speaker 4: Ricky Bain does sound like a comic book villain's girlfriend.
Speaker 1: In Yeah, that's right. Wow, No, God's no talk radio. So Vicky L. Bain was at one point at least a correspondent for People magazine. Google tells me that she has a husband and two sons and lives in Colorado. She was also the author of two She's the author of two unauthorized biographies, one being the Doctor Laura Biography, which I've read, and the second, which I have not read, is The Lives of Danielle Steele and appears to be an unauthorized biography of Danielle Steele.
Speaker 4: Wow, I am not disinterested in that.
Speaker 1: I will seeah M, I think it's I found the Doctor Laura book on the Internet archive. You can probably find the Danielle Steele one there too, but I haven't checked. I will say, while this book is invaluable because we just really don't have a lot of other good sources about her early life that talk to a lot of people who know her. This is a really hateful book in a way that, even as someone who doesn't like doctor Laura, I had to go this is a little ethically questionable, particularly because a decent chunk of it, not most of it, but a major source is a guy who leaked nude photos of doctor Laura to the news. Oh my god, So this is a sleazy booker. Yeah, I just I need to set that expectation before we get into this.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: It is like one of the great wrinkles of the world that horrible people can be treated.
Speaker 1: Like shit, and this this Vicky kind of treats doctor Laura likes shit. On the other hand, doctor Laura treats everybody likes shit. And I'm not saying that makes it right. It's just this is not two wrongs making a right. It's just two wrongs making a podcast. So hopefully you will all find that entertaining, and.
Speaker 4: So make sure to yeah, buy the product that on this great show, because there is no ethical solution we're presenting.
Speaker 1: No, it's like everything else in capitalism, folks. So yeah, it's good stuff. The book also feel features very fucked up stories from Doctor Laura's mother, who hated Laura and who Laura says was a terrible person. Although maybe that's Laura being a terrible person. It's impossible for us to know. But yeah, it is a weird experience reading a biography of a bad person and still going like, Wow, this book's kind of mean. But I got to give Vicky credit. That's an impressive achievement.
Speaker 4: Yeah, shout out, Vicky. Can't wait to hear you, Rake, Dan Yelle Steele.
Speaker 1: Take you down a peg.
Speaker 4: My aunts will be found devastated.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I assumed she was like forty people writing in a factory.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kind of like a Carolyn Keen kind of Yeah, Like he knows she's writing Nacy Drew books.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the Doctor Laura's story starts with two people she did not like, her father, Monty and her mother Yolanda. Back during the Great Dub Dub Dose, Monty was a soldier. He had a pretty serious World War Two. He gets promoted from corporal to lieutenant, which means a lot of people died ahead of him, Right, That's not a normal progression in a military career. At the end of the war, he was stationed in Italy, where he met Yolanda, who was a native Italian and one assumes looking for a way out of her war torn country. Vicki writes that Yolanda met Monty while he was quote serving in a disputed territory of Yugoslavia. So this would be an area that had a particularly nasty World War two. If you know the Balkans, World War two was not a great time to be anywhere near the fucking Balkans. Yeah, so they Europe after World War Two. She comes back with Monty to the East Coast, where they decide to have kids. This is a messy move and it's going to be unpopular with most of the people in Monty's life because Monty's family is Jewish and traditional enough that they do not like the idea of their son marrying a gentile girl. Nevertheless, on January sixteenth, nineteen forty seven, Laura Catherine Sleshinger became one of the very first baby Boomers.
Speaker 4: Wow, like the original Boomers. That's really impressive. Imagine first way, very traumatized people having a super villain of a child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two people who have been utterly shattered by war, coming back and having a child into a family who, for reasons of racism, rejects them and their child. A real recipe for a healthy person who's going to be a good christ.
Speaker 4: I don't understand what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great, Okay.
Speaker 4: So she's born like this in four seven.
Speaker 1: In forty seven in Brooklyn and raised in Long Island. Monty eventually gets a job as a civil engineer, but his family never accepted his wife and kind of didn't accept his daughter as an adult. Laura wrote this of the troubled union. All hell broke loose when my father's mother went on a relentless attack against the Shiksa, which means in Yiddish, the non Jewish wife of a Jewish man. My grandmother tried to do everything she could to get rid of my mother and turned much of the family into rejecting her us. When I was two and a half, my mother took me back to Italy, probably to get a break from this cruelty. My mother's mother and father were dead by this time. She was not close to her brother, and her older sister had been killed by the Nazis. On the first day she joined the underground resistance. I like to think that I channel her courage. You do not, Laura.
Speaker 4: Look, no, sorry about that.
Speaker 1: Whatever you wherever you stand politically, sitting on a microphone is not the same as dying as soon as you join the anti fascist resistance in Italy. Very different things. One of them pays millions of dollars in your case, doctor Laura, so not quite the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and one of you is alive at age seventy seven.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, one of you is still alive. You did not get murdered by Mussolini's buddies. Yeah, anyway, great stuff. Laura's childhood, though, was definitely not warm. Her parents had little time to spend on their daughter's emotional health, and because she was half Jewish, she was ostracized by other kids in her neighborhood. Again, this is the United States in the forties and fifties, right, Like, it's a big deal that she is half Jewish, Right Like, people make that a big deal.
Speaker 4: The part of the episodes where you make me feel bad for the Yeah, the initial wound of the fucked up person. It's always the hardest part, even more than the fucked up part.
Speaker 1: Look, very few people are never sympathetic. Right, there's a point in the Hitler story where he's just a boy trying to take care of his mom as she dies from cancer, and his his Jewish doctor notes decades later after he's the furor he had never seen a boy so sad. Right, that's just life. You just got to accept that if you actually care about understanding people.
Speaker 4: Well, I know, I've been on this show for a million years and it still makes me sad. I sure, baby, baby, doctor Laura, God, Laura. Yeah, it really it does feel motivating at least, like if there's a kid that is very much lost in your you know, in your like, be a person they can talk to, because she could be preventing a future doctor.
Speaker 1: Person you can talk to, make them feel valued, make them feel like they have a place to be. And every day or so say never get on the radio. Avoid the radio.
Speaker 4: No one ever told us that, and that and that was we didn't have that person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but come accountant or something. Yeah, that's what she needed. That's what well a lot of kids of this position, needy is subtle support and also don't don't become a radio host. So her primary impressions of her social peers in this period were that they responded to her with rejection and punishment. Those are her words, and this included physical violence at times. At home, she was also subject to physical violence at times because her father was both physically and mentally domineering. She later told a reporter that quote she was afraid to open her mouth because he would scream at her and smack her. At the same time, she credited her father with instilling in her the drive to succeed. Laura told another reporter from Red Book that her dad was quote real good at getting angry, but he was also good at telling me what was right and what was wrong. I think he could have cared more about the impact of his behavior instead of feeling entitled to act because that's what he thought or felt. She claimed that he was the kind of argumentative guy who would latch onto disagreements like a remora, who was almost looking for disagreements, right.
Speaker 4: And very specific fish to sorry, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. That's the kind of fish that her dad was and the kind of fish that she becomes.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Laura grows up desperate to make a mark and prove herself to be someone special, and likes this sort of person sometimes does She also winds up obsessed with the rules right, what is fair? What is right and wrong? Based on what are the rules? And so as a little girl, she would race to the principal's office whenever she saw other kids doing something bad, like vandalizing encyclopedias in the library. For gin Z listeners, and Encyclopedia is like Wikipedia, but without all like it's not mostly Star Wars lore, so other words, In other words, it's like a useless Wikipedia.
Speaker 4: Yeah. If Wikipedia couldn't be edited and looked and smelled like shit like something about the smell of Encyclopedia's was always very very sty.
Speaker 1: There's nothing about one piece in it, so you kids would wouldn't have any reason to read it.
Speaker 4: Wow, you really think I could make an animation to the youth again?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the gin Z kids know me. Yeah, they understand that I'm plugged in.
Speaker 4: Baby Uncle Robert is on one today, that's right.
Speaker 1: The Slushingers were on the tip of the spear when it came to White Flight, and by the late nineteen fifties they had left Brooklyn for a long Island suburb. Laura was the traditional gifted kid, pushed by an overbearing mother to succeed at school for an idea of the kind of stubbornness that she developed. As a result of this, Laura's mom made her practice piano an hour a day, and Laura's rebellion was she would only practice if she could start exactly on the hour or exactly on the quarter hour, So if it was like one oh one, she have to wait thirteen minutes until it was one fifteen to do her hour of practice.
Speaker 4: So I am like, you know, TikTok arm chair diagnosing here, But it sounds like she she may be a young OCD girl, having been there myself, like you have to do a certain thing at a certain time or we will die. Uh. That has also like in it, like in addition to it, it seems like that's her instinct, but also that there is this uh fixation on the idea of order, which explains going to the teachers for stuff, which explains but like that's like reinforced, like the idea of order is reinforced at home instead of like, hey, take your breath, you know, the stuff that you would hope for.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh, And I think that that's definitely like what we're seeing here right. Yeah, it's a she describes like her weird time fixation is self discipline, right, and I think it's her grasping for control, Like she can't make her control the fact that her mom wants her to do this, but she can have that kind of control and like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's like unfortunately, I yeah, it's like I I don't know wh I was in like fourth and fifth grade. I wouldn't leave a room until I had written down what everyone was wearing and what was hanging on the walls, and that was the way to maintain like order. And then if there's no one around you to like, you know, sort of pull you out of that, and if there's people around you encouraging it, it's just like a recipe for disaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. And it's it is one of those things where like this isn't doctor Laura being coming. Doctor Laura isn't the only way being this kid goes. It's not the usual this It only really.
Speaker 4: Happened, right, I hope not. Yeah, I know a.
Speaker 1: Lot of people who had very very I mean, I'm sure a lot of people listening are like, well, I had kind of a similar experience, right, totally, But it does it's also like she is one of those people where, oh, all of this makes sense. I totally understand how someone with this background wound up as doctor Laura.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yeah, it's like not yeah, not everybody, but it's not, you know, inconceivable that this would happen.
Speaker 1: This is a crisis. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Her classmates in grade school in high school all remember her as pretty quiet and extremely serious. Like as a as a kid in grade school, she was really weirdly serious and like one thing, you get a lot. Some of this might just be Vicky really pushing for salacious stuff. But they all talk about that she was hot, but they talk about it in such a way as like it's weird. She was hot, but she didn't have any friends and wasn't very popular because she didn't seem to want to know people.
Speaker 4: Right, that's uh so, I mean obviously we can't truly fully trust Vicky. Of course not No, I like it sounds like she fucking sucks.
Speaker 1: To be fair, Vicky could be doing this. You can't trust a bunch of people forty years later talking about how someone was in eighth grade.
Speaker 4: Right when was Vicky's book published?
Speaker 1: It was like in the nineties, but still a long time, not forty years, but a while later.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So like the word beautiful is still I mean it's still is now, but like especially then, like indiscriminately thrown around just to like validate the you are reading about an a person of worth. But I don't know. Every time it's like a young girl is described as like, you know, like didn't want to know other people, it's I immediately go to, like, she's probably shy.
Speaker 1: Maybe here's where we get weird here, because Okay, one of the best pieces of evidence suggesting that Vicky's portrayal of things may be accurate is that Laura says the same thing in different language. Here's what she told an interviewer in nineteen seventy nine. I had a distinct feeling of being out of sync with the rest of the world, just as if I had landed from another planet. While my peers were outside skipping rope and playing games, I stayed in the home, where, like a hilariously precocious child, I wore an ill fitting lab coat and crooked glasses. So, huh, that seems to kind of back up with Vicky saying I also think it might be a lie because this is doctor Laura nineteen seventy nine at the start of her career. And that doesn't sound like an honest recollection of events. Just nobody would described themselves as like a hilariously precocious child unless they were doing myth making right, That's what I'm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's like we can't trust Vicky or Laura count of Laura's life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely not a single reliable source on this woman's early life. Laura wants you Doctor Laura as an adult, wants you to believe that as a kid, she was isolated, she didn't fit in, she felt like, you know, she was an adult in a world of children, and she was a mad scientist. It is very important to doctor Laura that you see her as a mad scientist as an adolescent girl, which is.
Speaker 4: Which interesting, which is so wild, because it's like, could there be anything more different than it sounds like what she is. I mean, I don't know enough, but like it sounds like she is not encouraging people to be like this. But it's also important to her that she is perceived like this.
Speaker 1: Yes, she's an iconoclast and also was a serious child scientist. Yeah, maybe she was some of that anyway, well, we'll keep talking about this, but it is. It is very peculiar, and that makes me think about something that's not peculiar. Really, the only normal thing that exists.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're selling you goods and services.
Speaker 1: That's it, you know, Jamie, I don't know if you know this, but ten thousand years ago in ancient Babylon, you know what people were doing. What goods and services? You know, my god, ten thousand years from now, when mankind has spread to the stars, goods and services. There's no other reason to go to the stars but goods and services. That's the message of Star Trek.
Speaker 4: There's more goods. I agree, I agree. I think that that is where things are headed. You know, we don't know the endgame of it, but yeah, we went to the stars to find more goods and more services.
Speaker 1: Right right, the ultimate finally, to find the goods and services that can make us happy. Right, and you'll find that justice, no, no fuck justice, yeah, all products, baby, That's the of this show. And we're back and we're thinking about doctor Laura as a child mad scientist. So when doctor Laura is ten or eleven years old, her parents have another daughter, and Laura has a bad relationship with her sister. She never forgives her for taking the attention that ought to have been hers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, never forgives someone for being born. Mistake number one.
Speaker 1: I call my little brother every day and I just say, fuck you. You know, he's never been anything but good to me, sweet guy.
Speaker 4: But just suffered for his crimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly. You know, even though his crimes in this case were taking enough of my parents' attention away that I was able to watch The Simpsons, which really worked out great for me.
Speaker 4: Incredible. My brothers, my little brother's major my brother brother's most notorious crime is that he he caught me making out with someone downstairs. Well, we were allegedly watching Family Guy, and was so disturbed that he threw up and woke up my parents and I got in trouble.
Speaker 1: See, my brother never narked on me. He's only ever been a good person. But when I was a kid, and like I was like fourteen or fifteen, and my parents were out for the night or something. I don't know why, they might have been doing a date night or some shit, but I was watching him and I tried to put on stuff that he wasn't normally out to watch, which like I would have loved when I had been his age, and he got scared and ran into his room behind like he was never a He was never a like I will knark on you. He just like was legitimately wanted to follow the rules punished for being a sweetie. Yeah, you know, he's a happier and healthier person than I will ever be. So who's to say?
Speaker 4: It does seem traumatizing to see an older sibling do something that is like coded as bad. But you know, what can you do there? You know, we celebrate our brothers, but they've got to go.
Speaker 1: They've got to go. They've got to go, Jamie. When the revolution comes, it'll be the little brothers first.
Speaker 4: Up against the wall to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think we can really make political hay off of this. Oh yeah, so she has a little sister never forgives her horrible relationship forever. She claims this is when doctor Laura claims, this is when she started dreaming of a career in psychology. I also think this is bullshit. She did not actually focus on psychology as a discipline until she is a mature adult, and this is how she I want you to hear how she framed this decision, this her childhood interest in psychology that there is no evidence of. In an interview later, once she was famous with psychology. Today all the kids talked about getting a boyfriend or a car, and I kept struggling with why I was alive, what life means? I don't I just don't believe you, doctor Laura. I just don't believe you.
Speaker 4: It's so weird for someone who is like famously encouraging women to return to the home, describing herself like fucking Alan Ginsburg, Like what are you saying?
Speaker 1: Shit, It's not just doctor. Lots of people do this. You get this online a lot with people being like wow, it seems like a lot of my peers are, you know, selfishly interested in just partying and drugs, and like, I'm thinking about like stuff that matters, you know, whether that's politics or psychology or whatever. Like, no, everybody thinks about what things mean and who they are and what life is about. And everybody also wants to get laid.
Speaker 4: You're not special, chill out right, like like any intellectual curiosity excludes you from being a person with like human desire.
Speaker 1: To separate yourself from the rest of the human population because you want to feel like you're better than them.
Speaker 4: Hector, Laura, you were slamming Mike's cards with the rest of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly like we all had. We all like got fucked up as kids and partied, and we also all looked up at the stars with wonder in our hearts, like you're not more of a person than anyone else. Speak Calm down, Calm down, doctor Laura, and calm down, you the listener. We all need that reminder sometimes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, take your breath, Take your breath. It's just a podcast for now.
Speaker 1: For now, until until the next Supreme Court ruling. God will it.
Speaker 4: That weaponizes podcasts?
Speaker 1: Yes, podcasters can now order airstrikes. Will Wheaton's finally gonna get his uh wow. Part of why I think that's right, Jamie. Part of why I think that doctor Laura is self mythologizing with a lot of this child man scientist stuff is that some of the quotes Vicky provides from her former classmates just describe her as a very normal girl. Here's here's a quote from the book talking about an interview with a friend of hers with the last name Eagle. Eagle even remembered Laura handing out advice and more. I had a shin of guy, explained Eagle, and I think we stalked him that year they were juniors, with her helping me. According to Eagle, Laura had several parties at her house as well, the kind where you turn off all the lights and play Johnny Mathis, said Eagle. She was fun. She could twist your arm into doing things you didn't want to do, but certainly nothing bad. Back then, we hadn't even heard of all the naughty things you could do. And that makes her sound like a perfectly normal teenage girl.
Speaker 4: It's so wild. How much more like infinitely accessible that makes her?
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, like there's the was she like the secret the only one really thinking about serious issues. I had to know the mysteries of the human mind. I wish she was at.
Speaker 4: Your way to characterize yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, helping her friends stalk a boy that they had a crush on and listening to fucking rock music or whatever, Johnny Mathis is. I'm not old enough to know. Don't come after me.
Speaker 4: Really, No, I think you might be soft rock, asked the Delilah audience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they'll they'll figure it out. So one thing we do see early evidence on is that people really did not like working with doctor Laura. She wrote for the school paper, and at one point they had a vote for who should be editor in the next year, and there was a classmate who was out sick and who had already said I don't want to be the editor when this vote comes up, and they all vote for him, even though Laura is campaigning for the job, because everyone seems to have agreed she should not have power, which I do find funny.
Speaker 4: Whoa bomber? That does feel like, I mean, like losing a little things. You're like, at what point does the true supervillain origin story take hold? Sometimes I do feel like, I mean, can you think of another example where the loss of a student election.
Speaker 1: Leads to it?
Speaker 4: It feels like a classic like supervillain origin story of like oh my peers hate me.
Speaker 1: I mean, all of Hitler's madness started when he didn't get picked to be the editor for his high school yearbook. You know, that's widely agreed on by Hitler's That was a lie people, I know people can't tell what Eliah is on the show, say that was a lie.
Speaker 4: It's fun look and and something something I'm a murderer and something something daddy, Okay. I do feel like, yeah, if you were a if you're a high schooler, just like vote the most evil person who is running into student government and then they'll just taper off.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think we should have like a like you know how, you know how there's that Uh. I'm trying to think of the like a Hunger Games situation. We should have that, but only for the kids who self select to be in student government. They're not going anywhere good, you know.
Speaker 4: Wow. I will not publicly agree to that, but.
Speaker 1: I think it is. But Jamie franchise, So you're arguing against the people here. I'm just I'm just a man of the people.
Speaker 4: My man, you're pro Susanne Collins and that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that guy who died that everybody liked he was in those movies anyway. That Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh were you yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 1: Doctor Laura said this to the Los Angeles Times home magazine in nineteen seventy nine about this period in her life. Looking back, it seems to me I was struggling for some kind of acknowledgment or approval. I didn't feel happy, just driven towards science, and she said she reacted by retreating into the seemingly rational world of science. The childhood experiments with milk bottles and fruitflies turned into experiments in genetics and biochemistry. When she was in her teens. She even built her own lab equipment in the basement.
Speaker 4: Isn't it funny that, like that's a whether we like her or not, that's a woman talking about science, but it inevitably ended up in La Times Home. Yeah, yeah, doctor Laura Codd.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very much so. Yeah, now there is some evidence she certainly seems to have been a good at science and very interested in it as a young girl. There's her quote from her Jericho High School yearbook on the U or she graduated, says quote because because it's so basically in this yearbook, it wasn't a huge school. So each each kid or each page would have two kids and you'd get a photo of them and then like that description of them at a quote. Right, And the quote that someone wrote for doctor Laura was Heredity determines the color of her eyes, but science lights them up. Her assistance is invaluable in any research lab. That's kind of weird. I don't know who that, but I find it off putting. Don't talk about what are we doing? Why are we.
Speaker 4: Talking about this in school? Weirdly, like a skull A skull.
Speaker 1: Measure kind of feels like you're going to lead to race mixing at some point.
Speaker 4: I don't like leading with heredity. Is is gross? Yeah, it makes me want to look up for Hopper. Durt's your book quote because I forget what it was, but I know it always made me laugh.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean the murderer Sorr. I was thinking of Fred Durst.
Speaker 4: No, well, common misconception was.
Speaker 1: Recently in the great movie I saw the TV Glow, which was very good, he was.
Speaker 4: Yes, I loved that movie and I loved his appearance Robert Durst. No, he's a dead murderer. But Robert Durst. We Durst not criticize this bob whose activities make him stand out from the mob, which is an incredible yearbook quote for an eventual murderer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's an iconoclast.
Speaker 4: You know, I look I for years, I was like, he's innocent, and then that joke stopped being funny and then I stopped saying it. But he did, you know, get away with I think it was like in Texas in Galveston. He got away with dismembering someone in self defense was his most notorious crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I don't know if it's his most notorious crime. I think that hair that hair style was a worse crime.
Speaker 4: Wow, get his act.
Speaker 1: Also, I'm also pro murder. You know this about me?
Speaker 4: I know pro murder.
Speaker 1: I know. Yeah, yeah, I'm not. I'm I feel like the way a lot of voters, like those swing voters who keep going back between Trump and Biden. That's how I feel about murder. You know, I'm a swing voter for murder. You know some murders, I like some murders. I don't.
Speaker 4: I take it. I refuse to continue.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's probably a good idea. Once she graduates high school, her ambition is to become a great research scientist, and she would talk constantly to friends and the adults in her life that she wanted to find about wanting to find the cure for cancer. And you know, that's how kids talk about that. That's not really how cancer works, but that's how kids who are ambitious might talk about cancer. So I believe that, right. Laurie is always conservative as a kid. Some of her her friends recall her arguing about politics with them, but also like not weird, not weirdly, so just like you know, some kids, kids usually express some form of political opinion, and nobody really hers was not particular noteworthy kind of The most devastating detail of her adolescence comes right after she graduated high school and before she left for college. She worked up the courage to ask her dad, who was the only one of her parents that she seems to have actually loved, Am I pretty? And he said, no, you know, you don't have the looks that'll make a guy turn his head. Oh, is my god horrible. That's just devastating.
Speaker 4: It's your villain origin story. No, I forget what I said about that's oh my god.
Speaker 1: And we don't get much. She hates her mom. I just don't know that. We don't really get much in the way of detail as to why. So either what her mom was saying was way worse than this, or it's something a lot messier, like her mom was not nearly as shitty as her dad, but for whatever reason, she idolized her dad. You know, whatever is going on, there's any.
Speaker 4: Sort of human psychology that doctor Laura would refuse to understand oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she does not seem to have analyzed this, but yeah.
Speaker 4: That is like, that is devastating.
Speaker 1: We do get some hints of what the worst shit from her mom might have been, if that is indeed what was going on here, which is that her college roommates recalled that she was afraid of her mom would steal any boyfriend she happened to get, which is like a weirdly specific and also weird thing for a teenage girl to worry about. And if that was really a thing that happened to her boy Laura, I am sorry. That is a rough draw of the mom cart that's extreme.
Speaker 4: That also happened to the creator of Beanie Babies with his dad.
Speaker 1: Well, in that case, I think his dad did the right thing. So, and I don't.
Speaker 4: Totally disagree with you as the unfortunate thing.
Speaker 1: All I know is what I learned in that movie that I assume is Cannon.
Speaker 4: Oh that movie's dog shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, That's why I said. So. Laura goes to Stonybrook University, where studies physiology. Laura is noted by her few friends as never leaving campus. She does not go home for the holiday or anything, and she is also not an easy person to live with. One classmate recalls she always had an opinion of things and what people should be doing. Laura was particularly incensed whenever her roommates would have boys over. It didn't matter that everyone's doors were open and that no one was fucking, she would yell at them because she was sure they were screwing around and having premarital sex. So this is where we get some outside info that like, okay, so maybe she's just always sucked ass?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Where does it.
Speaker 4: Sounds like whatever insecurity is or like she is internalized growing up has now turned into weapons forever?
Speaker 1: So this was a you know, she was off putting. No one ever was able to live with her for more than like a semester at a time. Right, She's that kind of person. After graduating, she went to Columbia University to get her masters and studied under an MD who was researching the glucose transport mechanism. Laura was at this point scientifically interested in finding more efficient methods of measuring glucose levels and response to insulin, which would have been great. If she'd stuck with that, that we would have been great.
Speaker 4: She doesn't.
Speaker 1: What she does do is meet a guy named Rudolph. She meets him because so she's a walker. She's one of these people who takes regular long walks, and it says something deeply unhinged about her that she took these long walks and high heels. And one day she catches her heel on a bridge, which makes her fall and seriously injure her kneecap, and Rudolph is onseen and gallantly rescues her. So the two start their relationship while Laura is in a wheelchair and dependent on him. They get married, but as she heals, she becomes aware of the horrifying reality that like Rudolph fell in love with the version of her that was dependent on him, and Laura is an extremely independent person, right, so the marriage starts to break apart. You know, it's just kind of a doomed situation, and the sort of thing that very young people do, know, get married too early based on something that is more of like a momentary thing that rather than evidence of like long term compatibility.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Not a weird story and not one that most people would judge someone over, although doctor Laura is going to build a career judging people.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's like but if anyone is qualified. Yeah, I'm brave of both of you.
Speaker 2: Did not make a Rudolph the Red Nose reindeer joke.
Speaker 3: Just wanted to point that out.
Speaker 1: I don't know what does nose look like. So Laura graduated and broke up with her husband right around the same time she gets her master's degree. The actual divorce process is going to take some time, but before it's done, Laura travels to Los Angeles to teach physiology and human sexuality at the University of Southern California IA. The divorce, Yeah, yeah, it's great stuff. It's great stuff. The divorce gets finalized in nineteen seventy seven, and Laura is going to spend the rest of her life delighting in telling interviewers that her ex husband brings his parents to court. I don't know enough to say which of them was the bad guy, but she does kind of sound like a dick when she talks about it. But hey, no fault divorce, which she's going to hate in the future.
Speaker 4: Oh great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's while teaching at USC that, not quite yet a doctor, Laura Slashinger would meet a man who is going to set her on the road to becoming an icon. And that man's name is Bill Balance with two l's. Have you ever heard of Bill?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Oh, Jamie, You're gonna love learning about this piece of shit. This is a real influential piece of shit.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Born in Peoria, Illinois, Balance got his degree in journalism and served in the Marines before starting a varied career as a broadcaster during the Golden Age of radio from the nineteen fifties to the nineteen seventies. He worked everywhere from Denver in Honolulu to San Diego, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, which is where he was when Laura met him. In nineteen seventy one. He had launched a new hit series widely considered to be the first shock jock show. He's not quite a shock jock, but he is the he is the primordial ooze from which the shock jocks emerge.
Speaker 4: Right, Okay, it's all coming to yes there, Okay.
Speaker 1: And he is. He's hugely influential. He is pre Rush Limbaugh, he is pre Howard Stern, but he is all of them descended. You and I unfortunately have this guy's DNA and.
Speaker 4: Us I'm sure we do. And that what a bummer. Okay, all right, he is our he is daddy.
Speaker 1: He's great granddaddy at least.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the series that takes makes Bill take off. He's reasonably successful. But he has his huge hit series in nineteen seventy one, and that series is Feminine Forum on KGBS AM in Los Angeles. I know you're you're just psyched to hear what Feminine Forum was?
Speaker 4: J I really hope is he the host?
Speaker 1: He suare? Is he share is good?
Speaker 4: I was hoping he would be the host?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely absolutely, Here's la.
Speaker 1: Times describes the show design for a young female audience. The daily five hour show featured topics such as where did his love go? And how did you know it was gone? And have you ever thrown yourself at a hunk who wasn't catching? And are you a red hot mama? Balance played the role of what former Times radio columnist James Brown called the lascivious uncle, chiding his doll babies to rid themselves of their grunt headed pressers. Within a year, Balance's Feminine Forum was one of the most popular radio shows in Los Angeles, with as many men turning in as women. By turns witty racy and confessional. The Daring program was soon syndicated across the country and spawned imitators in dozens of cities. Oh so, how are you feeling about that, Jamie.
Speaker 4: I'm just kind of taking it all in.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, there's a lot there.
Speaker 4: I feel like I my brain kind of like I started to get brain freeze at lascivious uncle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't have this guy anymore. You don't need to think of who because women get to my show is now, right, And.
Speaker 4: I guess that he maybe he was the final the final boss of Lasivia's uncles, because I can think of Lasivia's aunties or not even Lasivia's aunties, I can think of like shame shameful aunties.
Speaker 1: Bill is uncle.
Speaker 4: Was he popular? Was he genuinely popular among as far as I can tell?
Speaker 1: Very popular with young women? Because again fascinating, there's not a lot for them. There's not a lot of radio that's just young women talking about their relationship problems, their difficulties dating, and like Bill is there and the show exists because there's a man to kind of uh uh, I mean, honestly, midwife, if you'll forgive the phrasing, right, he's got to be there, and he's got to be like he's got to be kind of holding it up so that the network, you know, will approve it in the first place. But a huge part of the show, it's never just Bill as the host either. He brings in a lot of women, including eventually female like therapists and doctors and stuff as guest experts to help talk with these women callers about their like relationship issues and stuff.
Speaker 4: So is the tone of this show, like, as far as we know, is it doctor Laura coded? Is it kind of rooted in shamee?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: What is the vibe of it?
Speaker 1: He nearly always sides with the women calling a big part of he does it in a way that you and I would say is deeply sexist and gross. But he always he tells them like that their feelings are valid. A huge A lot of the times his advice is you need to dump that man. You're better than him, right, God, It's really it's complicated. Bill's legacy in this part is like very much it's not just bad or just good, right.
Speaker 4: I feel like, if anything, I don't know, I don't want to hand it to this guy in any way, shape or for him. But if his work demonstrated that there is a clear and present need for like young women to have their feelings validated by literally fucking anyone in a public forum, like that is such a bummer that it like it took someone that far afield from who they were being, like, no, you're it's okay.
Speaker 1: I would have to say. You can draw two lines from Bill. One line is shows like the Bechdel Cast right, where you've got women like talking without any kind of male intermediary, and like, that is a major thing in entertainment and it has been for quite some time. And Bill helped show that there was a thirst for that, right, and.
Speaker 4: The other thing the audience existed.
Speaker 1: Yes, the other thing Bill helped show is that a lot of people would listen to an old guy be gross to women, be gross about women. And so you get a lot of like the shock jockshit that's gonna come later comes out like a lot of people a lot of what what what networks get from this is that like, oh, there's a lot of interest in men talking to women about sex, right.
Speaker 4: Okay, So it's like you could you could pull how the Bexel cast.
Speaker 1: Right, that's kind of what's interesting about Bill. He's early enough fact that you can pull both from it, right, And I should give you at this point an example of the kind of incisive commentary that Bill provided. Oh boy, Sophie, this is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my gosh, my chest just tightened.
Speaker 3: Your husband he was not the father of this baby.
Speaker 1: Well, actually it's rather complicated.
Speaker 3: But we're going to explain it to Bill. My child is forty two. Child's father is my husband father. The child's father is your husband's father.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In other words, you were making it with your father in law to be right before the ceremony.
Speaker 4: Right, That's why I changed my mind, because.
Speaker 3: You figured that his that your father in law to be, was a better man than his own son. Right, So why didn't you marry the father in law? Was he still married to your ex, to your soon to be mother in law. Yeah, Oh, that's a kind of a dull thing for him to have done.
Speaker 4: Much longer.
Speaker 3: In other words, if you marry the projected or proposed husband, he would be the he would be the brother of his own child. Yeah, all right, But do you mention just in passing him was kind of a throwaway line, Giannina Mia, you mentioned that maybe it won't be for long. You mean he's going to get rid of his old fat wife and marry you, well, not marry me.
Speaker 5: I don't want to get married.
Speaker 4: So you see, Now, why is he hitting every consonant like that?
Speaker 1: That's that's how you delivered shit on the radio.
Speaker 4: Back then, what for back in the day.
Speaker 1: He's not really he's not being judgmental or mean there he's being silly. He's kind of making fun of it a little bit, but he's not. He's mostly just like asking her for details because it's like an interesting saucy story.
Speaker 4: Right. Well, yeah, that's the thing. I was like, I don't think he's doing nothing there. I think he's asked leading questions that he knows the answer to. That makes the behavior sound like more like not even that it's not salacious, but you know, like giving whatever, telling the listeners like, oh, that thing that you're wondering is like, is this person doing something kind of fucked up?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I and here is my fysaurus to prove it. Like he's doing a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's doing a lot, but he's also doing you see. You can also see him in the line to uh, doctor Laura, right where they they're doing a similar thing. Like Bill, as soon as he hears the basis of this, he's like, I need to steer this to talking about how this guy she's marrying is going to be the brother to her son. Right, that's the line that needs to get out. It's like the old you know, there's a popular song around the time, I'm my own grandpa, right, Like I need to get that, I need to be yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh my god. It's a great song here, doctor Demento. Very funny song. But he's really got a hit on that, right, because he knows that that's like the craziest, funniest detail. But the way he kind of pulls it out, he's got a much more slower style, like he's he's not doctor Laura, gives stuff less time to breathe, which is interesting to me, Like one of them isn't necessarily more honest than the other, but it is interesting, Like the different.
Speaker 4: To Bill's five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bill gets five definitely here, right, No, I mean you heard the slide whistle in there, he le, this is, of course the slide whistle show. So Bill is popular and I should you know, I said earlier it was extremely popular among women there's also a lot of rage inspired by this show, right, and he gets attacked a lot by feminist organizations obviously, and I'm going to continue that quote from the LA Weekly. Feminist groups accused the program of exploitation and insulting the intelligence of his collars. For his part, Balance called women's rights activists professional blind dates. So he's that kind of piece of shit, right, He's Howard Stern too, you know, although Howard Stern is much better personally.
Speaker 4: What this has to do with the Bechtel cast Robert I swear to.
Speaker 1: God, I don't know, Jamie. Like, it's a different era before Bill Balance. After Bill, you get Doctor Laura. After Bill, you get a lot of shows that are like women talking to and about women. Sure, he's not the only thing in there, but he's he's a he breaks a seal on what talk radio can be. And it's also worth noting that like after Bill, you get Rush Limbaugh and you get fucking like all of the shock jocks that we get Michael Medved, all of these horrible things. He's the first fish that walked on land, right, rather than the immediate Simian precursor, right, Like, he just sort of shows that radio can be a different thing than it had been before.
Speaker 4: I do think like across mediums, it is unfortunate and vile that there's like it's often just like a lucivious uncle who ends up, you know, proving that they're proving again because it's been proven over and over and over that there is an audience that is not just like men, and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: There's and he does it by being like, there's an audience that's just not men for this kind of smut right, for smut talk, you know, but that does eventually lead to shows that are not smutty, right, Like, there's a there is a line you can draw there. And when I talk about the success of this show by night, he starts this in nineteen seventy one. By nineteen seventy five, there are five hundred shows and more that are ripoffs of the Bill Balance Show in different stations around the country, and Bill's show is more popular than ever. One of his most popular segments is a recurring bit with doctor Norton Christi, a clinical psychologist who had worked for the Rand Corporation. Oh yeah, doctor Christy's a fascinating pace as shit. Christie's job was to provide pseudo credible scientific analyzes of the fears and complaints made by ballast as callers. Right, so they quickly and again this is part of like the actual talent here is recognizing people don't just want to hear Bill be gross on the air and make jokes. They want to hear someone who you can claim as a scientist explain what the psychological oh.
Speaker 4: Right, certainly wouldn't continue on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah, he's again you can draw direct line from Bill to to Jordan Peterson, right, sure, sure, or.
Speaker 4: I mean doctor Phil like doctor.
Speaker 1: Phil right, Yes, yes, absolutely, this is Bill is a really influend. He's not the only person who helps make this clear to the people making radio shows and eventually TV shows, but he's a major figure in that movement, and his station managers saw this as an correctly, as an endlessly reproducible format. You get a guy who's kind of funny, you get a medical prof someone you can claim as a medical professional, and you have callers talk about their fucked up lives. Billions of dollars, right, infinite money from doing this shit up to this day. Right, yeah, Now, one thing they do recognize is that you need a stable of experts because we're on the air a lot, and actual credible clinical psychologists tend to be busy. Right, if you're a good clinical psychologist, you probably don't have five hours a day to talk to you about who's on the radio, right.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, well, let's not know, no shade, but Fraser certainly found the time, and that was part of the reason that Niles and him had such problems. Niles didn't have five hours of radio a day because he was a real doctor.
Speaker 1: That is the point of the Fraser Show, is that Fraser's not a real psychiagy, He's a fra Yeah, but that's part of what makes it fun.
Speaker 4: I love, I love what a fraud that man is. Absolutely god such a formative childhood crush.
Speaker 1: But asolutely absolutely, look it was formative. We're talking about Niles, right.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm talking about both of them.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, good, yeah, absolutely, both of them. Sure, fine, we throw Roz in there, sure, you know, honestly, throw John Mahoney on that pile, and on a.
Speaker 4: Good day, maybe even Bulldog, you know.
Speaker 1: Maybe Bulldog if he's in a good mood. Right, Yeah, I'm glad we're having this this complex Fraser talk ja. So maris too once or twenty anyway, whatever, Oh, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, her absence was very you know, sexially potent.
Speaker 1: Right, So the station management saw this as an endlessly reproducible format. But they need people who actually have time. So they need people who they can pretender credible medical experts, but aren't enough of a credible medical expert to like, have better things to do. And this is where Laura Slishinger is going to come in.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She first calls into Bill's show in nineteen seventy five. Bill has an expert where he's asking women to call in and say and tell him would you rather be a widow or a divorcee? Right, Laura calls in. She uses a fake name, and she picks widow, and she explains, quote, then you don't have to second guess yourself whether you made the right choice in leaving. You don't feel guilt. Everybody feels sorry for you. They come over and cook for you.
Speaker 4: Oh slay, that's her reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Bill recognizes two key things about Laura from this call. One of them is she has a good voice for radio and she speaks well, and she's someone who actually might have some potential on the air, and the other the larger is that she sounds hot, so he keeps her on the line for twenty minutes and then he has her produce his producer get her phone number, which he's going to be a creep about. But that's all for part two, Jamie, that's all for part two.
Speaker 4: I am I am invested.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, let's all come back in a day or so and we'll learn everything there is to know about the Doctor Laura Show.
Speaker 4: Like every episode, I'm like, I think she's going to turn this around. I am a spit in the face of history. She's going to be an awesome person. I just know.
Speaker 1: This is This is where we learned that Doctor Laura stopped the second nine to eleven.
Speaker 4: You know, things wouldn't have gone that way if she was There.
Speaker 1: Were going to be three more planes, but not. She talked them all down. She told those hijackers to reconsider their lives, you know, with this job, raise a family. She did it. Everybody saved us, all save the I don't know, some other building. I don't know, another famous building.
Speaker 4: And even bigger one, the bigger one, Jamie.
Speaker 1: Where can people find you on the internet?
Speaker 4: Well, Robert, you can find me on this very network. You can find me every week on Tuesdays sixteenth Minute of Fame, where I talked to and about the main characters of the Internet and what their notoriety meant for the Internet and for them, and yeah, yeah, we Sophie of course is the producer. You are a producer, and Ian is an editor. So I mean, we're keeping it in the family over there. And it's hot Dog season, so get a copy of Raw Dog while you're on it. Tomorrow, I am as we were recording this. Tomorrow, I'm flying to New York to cover the Hot Dog contest. And it's it's going to be a barn burner this year. It's going to be very fraught. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Joey burn a barn down, Burn something down, folks. That's all I ask for my listeners. Light a fire somewhere, you know, we can do least we can do. It could be a legal fire, it could be an illegal fire. I prefer fires that are a gray area. You know, really like try to try to like get like like within six hours of a burn band starting, so you've got that plausible deniability, you know, really gamble.
Speaker 4: On like a sexy little Keep them guessing, you guess, Keep them guessing.
Speaker 1: That's all I ask, Baby, That's all I ask.
Speaker 2: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple
Speaker 4: Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.